Speaker 1: Ho Mary, Brown Ambition Christmas or whatever you celebrate, But we've got a present for you listeners.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you are looking for the perfect gift for the Brown Ambition fan in your life, head to Brown Ambitionstore dot com to get twenty five percent off during our massive holidays.
Speaker 1: Say.
Speaker 2: This deal will not be here long, so go to Brown Ambitionstore dot com and use the promo code what is it Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Ho ho ho but h o h o h O. Don't get fresh now.
Speaker 2: Use promo code ho ho ho to get twenty five percent off your Brown Ambition orders.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: This deal won't last forever, or will it? Because maybe I'll forget to stop it. I don't know. Go to Brownambissionstore dot com. Y'all, happy happy holidays.
Speaker 1: Hey hey, hey we're back. We're black, We're Bread Ambitions. You can tell you I could do like I'm doing a soulder semmy. Can you hear it in my voice?
Speaker 2: I was distracted by my own lack of like rhythm when I was trying to go, and I harmonized. But it's going to work out. Hello, Happy post Thanksgiving everybody.
Speaker 1: I know, how is your Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Mandra It was a whirl ef and wind. Let me just tell you, I feel like I'm still recuperating.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was great, though it was as good as it could have been with you know, the pandemic and Zoom and all of that. But as y'all know, my baby's first birthday was on Thanksgiving Day, and I would say the prep work began a week before the big day. I mean I was baking cakes all weekend in preparation for his birthday cake and then all the Thanksgiving food. I just like did the most. But it was really nice. We had We had my husband's brother and sister in law, and then his mom came and then we had a whole you know, a whole party on Zoom. But you know, baby baby Rio had a magical first birthday. I will say, though, do you ever get like after a big event you feel like a little bit down afterward? I maybe it was like all the adrenaline pumping, But the last few days I have just been like ragged, raggedy, ragged ragged. It doesn't really help matters that the day of his first birthday. And if you're a new mom and you breastfeed, like your baby you're nursing, you know, throughout the day, all the time for the first year. That's what's recommended by the experts. And I had always told myself, like, Okay, after twelve months, if he's still into it, you know, we'll try to wean because I would like my boobs back and like my freedom to not have to be, you know, around all the time. And I thought it would be a long process and like I was gonna have to ease him out of it because oh, he like loves mommy and he's so attached and like it's our special time. Homeboy woke up the morning of his first birthday, took one look at my boobs and was like, no, I'm good, and.
Speaker 1: He has a nurse.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding. He was like, Tommy, didn't you know the American Society of Pediatrics recommends only until twelve months, So we good.
Speaker 1: Wow, Because I say, I know so many moms who are like the kid is like, girl, if you don't come over here with those boobs, I know.
Speaker 2: Well, there was this whole like viral thread. I'm on this Black Black Girl Magic Peloton edition on Facebook and it's just an amazing community and this one thread was going viral. This woman posted a picture of her like toddler nursing while she was on the bike, and I was like, oh, wow, you know, and then just dozens of other moms started posting about their sixteen month old, their twenty two month old, how they just are still on the boob, and yeah, I'm blessed. But I wasn't expecting that at all. So I think there's also this little known effect when you stop breastfeeding all of a sudden where you have like like a hormone crash. So I feel like I'm riding that wave down, but it's okay, I'll bounce back.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't know that. I never thought about that.
Speaker 2: That would make sense, Mean, your body, this was a lot more than you bargain for. You're like, girl, I just want to know how the turkey tasted like done. But yeah, if you're if you're a mom, who's who's dealt with that? It's yeah, they just don't talk about it. But after you because you have to produce so much hormones to make food for your baby for so long, and it's just like after you give birth. You know. That's why postpartum depression and anxiety are so common, are not so common but why they happen is, you know, all of a sudden, your body is the pro the hormones you were producing to sustain that life are crashing, and similar things happen when you are no longer breastfeed, and that's why they say don't do it cold turkey. But my baby had other brands. He's like, yeah, I would like to try other things like orange juice and wild sake salmon.
Speaker 1: He's like, I can't believe he's only turning one because honestly, you know, he looks too. He does.
Speaker 2: I know he gets mistaken for it. I mean, we've met other young babies, not close, but I've seen them from Afar and and he's he's in the ninety nine percentile for height.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, because Rio is really tall. I was like, that's it's what I was thinking. I was like, wait, he's a big boy. Yeah, he is walking all.
Speaker 2: Over the place.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I mean, I feel like you've got tall in your family, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean my husband's side is pretty tall. My side's pretty above average. So you know, he he I don't know where he puts it because he eats like so much. I think he's Also he's also very active, like now he walks and he's all over the house and it's so cute seeing him become more confident walking and he runs and he my brother got him a little Bens for his birthday, like a baby Bence.
Speaker 1: I love it. Uncle. If not to give you a baby, who's going to give you a baby Bence? But your uncle, your uncle Drake.
Speaker 2: Right, that is what Uncle Drake would give. Yeah, so he's all over the place, He's got a lot of energy. But yeah, it's crazy. I think I also too. And y'all know I've talked about like my struggles with anxiety through having the baby and all that, and I really came out on the other side of that so much stronger. But I look back and I think I was just in my mind, I had made his first birthday like this finish line, like just make it to his first birthday, like you're gonna You're gonna do it. You can do this if you got it. And then it came and went, and I'm like, oh damn, no, magical childcare has cropped up and the pandemic is still raging, and okay, we gotta keep going, all right, So we took a moment. We celebrated. Now on to the next marathon. I guess, yeah, yeah, But how my Thanksgiving your affair?
Speaker 1: It was good on the side, I did my usual Vonda cooked. I was like, yes, Wonda. It was so crazy that I called her the week before and I was like, hey, Vonda, She's like her first words out of her mouth work I got you for Thanksgiving. I was like, okay, bye, she knew all this I was calling to be like. So we had traditional blackly black Thanksgiving affair, like macaroni cheese, color greens and candied yims. I asked her to do a fright a small fried turkey, which was I don't even like turkey, lamb, you know, so potato salad, corn bread. It was really good. And although we couldn't, you know, like hang out with my parents, I did bring them some food the next day, all massed up, you know, yeah, and then we did Zoom too. So but you know, it's just hard because Thanksgiving is really one of the houses where we really do truly all get together. My sister usually flies up from Chicago with the baby and her husband because his family also lives in them in Jersey too, so it just feels weird, not you know, not connecting, although it was nice to see folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. You know, we had zoom playing for like the birthday. Honestly it was more birthday than Thanksgiving here, but we did. I made like sweet potato souflet and I made a turkey breast, but you know, we have it was our Enrique's families Dominicans, and we had a big old like the pernal was the center of the table, just a big old What's a pernill is roasted pork and it's.
Speaker 1: And I do love. I'm not gonna lie. No. I always say like I don't really eat pork, but you put a delaized ham in front of me, Like it's one of those things like I don't really eat oh but that I eat that. Yeah, I eat that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. His mom makes the best perennial. So she made the perenial and I knew she was bringing it. So I made a very tiny, sad turkey breast, but just you know, just to tick that box. But really, what I spent the most time doing was baking and fulfilling every ambition I had of being on any baking show. And I can confirm I could not be a baker. I don't know how bakers do it day in and day out. I never want to see cake again. And if you are fortunate enough to be a neighbor, you have gotten at least half a pound of cake delivered to you, because we had that much cake left over. But I was pretty proud. I was. I made, I made. I made him a sloth shaped birthday cake and it was a labor of love. And he tore it the heck apart right away.
Speaker 1: Oh. First of all, I was like, that cake looked like I was like, wait, is that what Nandy was working on? Because I saw I think you did a story where you showed like, you know, you were working on the cake, and I was like, oh, what is this gonna be? It looks so good. I'm not gonna lie, you know how. It's like, you know what they asked for, what they got.
Speaker 2: No, it looked like I was afraid you posting like a nailed it.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, but it looks so good. I was like, Wow, yeah, you did an excellent job. Yeah. Mean, while I'm over here like plug so I'm doing my well, y'all know, I've been doing IVA for like a thousand years. So this cycle that I'm doing is like a test cycle because I've got one little embryo left. But they want to do like a test cycle because I guess when they when they implant an embryo, it can be like one of two days that are your ideal days. And usually, you know, they kind of guesstimate, and because people have like twenty thirty embryos, they're like, oh, well, just guesstimate, you know. But with me, they're like, girl, we cannot guesstimate. So instead they put you through the cycle. We're putting me through the cycle. They do it. It's literally called the mock cycle where I have to go in tomorrow day one and they're going to test my lining. You do its lining, and then I have to go on day two so they can see, oh, Tiffany's a day two girl. You know. But when I tell you, I'm like, I didn't. I honestly didn't eat that much during Thanksgiving. I stopped at like six thirty. I had one plate. I just wasn't like, you know, super like, I wasn't super hungry. And then but I have been putting on weight like crazy. So finally I called them. I was like, is it is this? This is this the estrogen? And they're like, oh yeah, girl, cause I'm like, I bot like five pounds and like a week and a half and I've been intimate and fasting, walking and drinking my apple side of vinegarl I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, so it is.
Speaker 1: But thankfully, I mean like after these two, I'll you know, they'll probably take like a month before I start to cycle for real, for real, so I'll be able to come down because they had I'm taking estrogen four different ways, so there's like a patch, there's a shot that I take, there's a pill, and then there's a the pository and I'm just like so it's like, I know, fun times, You're like, this.
Speaker 2: Is poor y'all came to the right show if you're a new listener.
Speaker 1: I know, but where's our friend MS who don't want to hear about my U doors Hey right.
Speaker 2: Well now she knows about my plot the ducks okay, and they are people and I don't have any cabbage leaves, but yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so it's just the horrible like it's I guess I'm just like pumped, pumped, pumped for the hormone. So I'm like, I was just I'm not like, you know, like weepy or anything like that, but I definitely have been like super tired. And like I said, I'm like gaining weight when I haven't been eating like crazy salt. That's fun times. I just hope that, like you know, so say it prayer if you believe in prayer. But like you know, this time around looks like I said, it's just a mock. But then the next time I do my cycles really like kind of like our last hurrah with IVF, and then after that we would just I guess, try naturally, I know.
Speaker 2: So it's like I hear there's My sister in law came downstairs, her staying with us, which has been amazing. They she came downstairs today and she was like, there's going to be a lunar eclips tonight, so you should, you know, if you want to say and intention it's a good time. I was like, what, apparently around the lunar eclipse is when it's a good I don't know, it's a good time to make like a resolution or like hope for something in the future. So tonight I'm gonna I'm gonna think about your embryo and you're u dinglining and it won't be weird all.
Speaker 1: My mother was like, I'm a prayer worri, don'torry, I'm gonna talk to Jesus.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, okay, thanks for sometimes you just gotta. I don't pray that often. But I remember when when Rio was being born and he didn't want to come, and they were coming at me with that knife, not really, not literally, but they were threatening in the sea section. I was like, hey, baby, it's time anyway, Well, no one has been through it more than you have. It seems it's it's just and you've handled it with such a grace. And I know it hasn't. I mean obviously it's been like ups and downs and ups and downs, and I'm really proud, really proud of you. You've been so tough. If this baby, if his name is ain't miracle, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you better never talk about this. Better be the most the sweetest, non crying baby.
Speaker 2: We were talking about pressure on first generation babies, what about like the last embryo babies, Like do you know.
Speaker 1: Like you want the last? Oh god, my okay, like this you gotta bring me home a B plus didn't know what I had to do. I just pray that he doesn't have a big head like my husband, because Lord have mercy.
Speaker 2: Oh God, well, you know they start out small, they do.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, I know, but I heard he was born with that big nugget. I was like, Lord, c section for me. No, but no. I mean, honestly, it's been good, just been despite all the pandemic and all the I just feel like in such a better space. So many of y'all have reached out to Stephanie from Navy psych the therapist Finder. I just spoke with my one of my friends today. She was like, oh my gosh, she was amazing. I spoke to my other friend. He was like, oh my gosh, he's like, did you cry. I'm like, of course I cried, Like because you do like a session with her and then she figures out like you like what you need. Like one of my friends from college, she was like, she takes like meds and she was like, okay, you need a therapist that is also a psycho therapist, so that way understands like what meds are going to you know, like how meds are interacting with with your hormones, you know, and other things that you have going on. Stephanie. Is just amazing because to be able to have a therapist kind of like listen, hear you, understand and then pair you because sometimes you don't even know what you need. I just have to say, like that was just and just to hear the feedback from like so many people hitting me up, it was just it's just been amazing. And I feel like in such a better space because I start with my I start with my person that she connected me with December eleventh, So I'm like so jazzed about it because it's been three years we've been talking about it, and so to say like it's happening, it's happening, so so happy. Yeah, it's just thank you.
Speaker 2: I text my therapist when he stopped breastfinger. I was like Laura, She's like, it's ye, we'll talk about it on Thursday. That's just the relationship I have with my therapist. No, well, that's amazing. And for people who maybe you didn't hear that episode or you forgot NAVI, it's called NAVI psych right and av.
Speaker 1: I p s y c 's Her name is Stephanie I don't get a name money, so you know, yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Don't get me just awesome, But yeah, don't she just have her on the show, So that'd be dope, and that would be so she's like, yeah, she's a connector. She'll talk to you, interview you, and then match you with a therapist. And she works nationwide. Yep, she works nationwide, and she's a therapist herself, which is awesome. And then she just also has like a wide pool of therapists and places that she pulls from. But you know, like how teachers have a ton of teacher friends, she also has a lot of therapists people like in her personal network. So she's also using that network to be like, do you know somebody who and she what I love too. It's not just the connection. She also like takes your insurance information, so if you're like I really need a therapist that works with my insurance, she will find that match as well. So it's like honestly awesome, all around amazing. We'll put a link to NAVI psych and our show notes and yeah, if it's never too late to start your mental health journey, and you know, maybe we can plug our partner better help if you want like a nice way and easy way to enter entry point into therapy. I know my sisters used Better Help, which is an online talk therapy service, and it's just it's never too late. And this year, and I think it's the same realization I had after Rio's first birthday, which is like, oh, yeah, we're still in this pandemic and it's been a year. And I think even just like having someone to talk to and reflect on how the last year, how things have you know, been so crazy, it's just so so helpful. So we hope that y'all are taking care of your mental health and whatever way you can. And that's a yeah, thanks for sharing that resource.
Speaker 1: To no problem, anything else you want to chat about, and if you guys, if you need like a little because I know it's a little crazy. I mean, although we know who won the election and I know it's a little crazy, I still have to plug. Like I love that Instagram account. Neil what's his nast name? He is a he's a Supreme Court attorney. I think that's what he says. But he is Neil Katal k a t y out Neil Kata. He's a supreme a Supreme Court lawyer, a law professor, and he's a former acting Solicitor General. So this guy is just like all and he said he argued forty one cases in front of RBG, so he's just brilliant. But what he does is every day he does like this mini like episode on Instagram called court Side, and I listened to it to call my political nerves because he breaks down in layman's terms, what's happening as far as like you know, like the the with what's happening with the former administration their refusal to accept defeat, and but also like what's actually happening in the court system, like what what you know, what what's being handed down? You know, what's what? What's actually happening. Like it's one thing that the current administration will say on TV of fraud, fraud, fraud, but then when they actually file the paperwork in court, they don't say fraud because you can actually be liable and go to jail for that. So it's just like if you for me, I'm someone who you know, there was a lot of worry for me, but that page helped to calm my nerves because I get to hear from this like you know, legal perspective, what's actually happening, no spin, no whatever, but like, oh, this is what happened in court today. Great, good to know. So yeah, Neil Kata, that's my dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love him. I followed him once you mentioned him on the last show.
Speaker 1: He's isn't he good?
Speaker 2: He's really good? And this is a good time to plug and promise we'll go to questions after this. But I have to plug. The Georgia Senate runoff election is fun ning. So if you haven't requested your mail in ballot, go ahead because the election is happening in the first week of January. So if you're planning any holiday travel, just get it done, get it out of the way. I'm already harassing. I've cast an even wider net this time in terms of who I am badgering in my family in Georgia. But this Senate race is so so important. And as a quick reminder, there's two Senate seats up for grabs in Georgia at the same time, which is very rare. And these two seats, if Democrats lose them, you know we're really in trouble. I think that if there hasn't been one takeaway from the Trump administration. It's that if the Democrats or the party that you want in power doesn't control the House and Senate, then really policies that you want to get past just won't go anywhere. So you really need you know, Tiffany and I are obviously progressive Democrat leaning, but we really need the majority in the Senate. So if you know anyone in Georgia, please let them know to go out there and vote. We need big, big turnout. So you can check out I will vote dot com. It's a fantastic resource. It has all the information you'll need on voting locations and early mail in ballots and all that jazz. We'll put a link to the notes in our podcast. And even if it's not you, but you have a friend, a cousin, an uncle, coworker, whatever in Georgia, it doesn't hurt. It's not pushy. I mean a little bit pushy, but it doesn't hurt to remind them of key dates and deadlines and hold them a tiny bit countable.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay. And that is the tea, the tea with Mandy and Tiffany. Oh.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that' spin off show. You'll be right back with some of y'all's questions. All right, we are back y'all with your questions again. You can hit us up with your questions. We love you hear them. Brown Ambition Podcast on Instagram. We're also Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com if you want to email us. The old fashion way, but here, let's take a question from Instagram. This comes from listener Mika. I think I pronounced that right. Yep. She gave me a ooh, very handy finetic spelling of her name, Mika. Mika says, my man and I are so proud that we've saved ten thousand dollars for our wedding. This is the number that I had in mind for what I wanted to budget for a low key event. We've been together for eight years and our domestic partners in California. It's almost like you're married. I don't see us getting married for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Where would you recommend we keep this nugget of cash for a happy day. I was thinking of setting it aside in a stock market index fund. Love you and tips so much. Thank you for your hard work and I think, possibly most of all, sharing your humanity while still being a boss ow Meca. Yeah, it's a really good question, and I think a lot of couples might be in this situation. If you were planning to get married this year, you might have like a little pocket of cash that you were oh that was my phone being dropped on the floor. Sorry, pocketive cash, you know that is on hold, Yeah, until you get married next year or the year after. This is interesting so with any kind of investing, because you're talking about, you know, taking this ten K and putting it in the market. For me personally, the time horizon, even though it's two years out, is pretty short, and I don't gonna say that yeah right, I mean two years is still you know, especially with the market. We're not done with this economic crisis that we're in. I know, the market has made a huge comeback this week. I think my four and one K was like, grow you up fifteen percent. I was like, thank you. But it's been up and down and up and down, and I think it will continue to be that way, you know, in the coming months. So who knows what could happen. I personally don't think that's the best move for something that you're going to want to pull out and especially I know how weddings work. I'm an expert. I was married. Well, any any big event, you don't always pay the day of your weddings. Even though your wedding dates two years out. Your wedding deposits might have to go down within a year, you know. So I and you're and you're buying stuff up until the day, especially if it's a low key event, you're doing your own flowers or whatnot. I think you just park it in a high yield you know, savings account, maybe a CD, but even that again maybe not over a year because otherwise you're gonna lock it up and you'll pay a fee if you take it out earlier with the CD, and rates aren't that hot and right now anyway. So yeah, that's anything you want to add to that tip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, like Emmy, if you are really itching to do a little something, to Mandy's point, like you know you're gonna be paying for things before. It's not like that Dada wedding day. Here's my ten thousand. But if you are itching to say, but I want to do a little something, maybe take a quarter of it, like twenty five hundred and maybe if you were gonna put it in an index fund if it means that much to you, to see if you can get something out of it. But yeah, two years is kind of a short time horizon. Ideally, you like, you know, three to five years minimum to really see if your money's gonna move and shake. And although because I saw this on ig and I'm not gonna lie, it grated my gears. Is that what Peter from Mom Family Guy says? This greats my gears. Grinds my gears? Yes, right, so it grinded my gears. It was this guy who was an investor and clearly, you know, pretty savvy. He was like, my investments are up a thousand percent since the beginning of the year. I told y'all don't save and to invest your money anyway and to invest your money instead. And I wanted to like throw the phone that because like, great for you. But if someone invested without doing any sort of savings in the beginning of the year and their money didn't go up one thousand percent instead it was down you know, ten twenty percent, because maybe they chose individual stocks and you know, they just didn't choose stocks that went up, and now they have kids to feed, so what are we saying. So I just like, investing is not the end all be all it's gonna save you from all the things. So it should never your You should never put money in that you absolutely need in the next ideally in the next five years. So so, like I said, if you are going to put a little something, maybe twenty five percent, twenty five hundred dollars and see where it goes. But knowing that, you know what, at least we have seventy five hundred that we can rock and roll with. But congratulations, that's you know, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: All right, Mika, thank you so much for your question. Thanks for listening real quick. I wanted to you know, you guys send really lovely messages sometimes, and even though they're not questions, I thought it would be nice to like read one of them once in a while. So this is a note from one of our followers on IG named Melanie. She says, thank you for last week's episode when you all said it's okay not to be saving due to what's going on around us. Prior to this, I was doing a decent job and I was planning to pick it up this year, but furlough changed that but thank you for saying it's okay. We pressure ourselves sometimes and we just needed to hear that for her.
Speaker 1: Jeez, you're welcome because it is hard. I mean we were so hard. Like, no, you're not tasked to be find actually perfect. You're tasked to do the best you can with where you are, and sometimes the best you can is literally nothing. There are times that I was like, girl savings, I need to eat, Like what am I going to eat? You know? Or like you've made financial mistakes and you beat yourself up, and sometimes you're just like, well, how long are we going to do this? How long? I get it, I shouldn't have used my credit card to buy all those clothes. Okay, we're here now, now what so I just I'm literally sometimes I look in the mirror and I'm just like Tiffany, I get it, But how is this helpful? Like, you don't have to beat yourself up. It's not helpful. It's not healthy, And it's okay to take responsibility. This is something I think it was Stephanie who said this, Either Stephanie or doctor Green, who I'm working with now. I was sharing with her. I was so proud of myself. I was like, yeah, I'm really self aware because I know that I mess up like this, and I mess up like that, and I did this. She's like, hmmm, I don't know that that's self awareness. It sounds like you're just critical of yourself. I was like, wait, what, because I was so proud that I easily point out every flaw of mine. And she's like, tiffany self aware is to see all sides of yourself, that you're aware of yourself as a complete, flawed but also fabulous human being. I don't hear any of the fabulous. And I was like, yeah, so next week. So I just think that that's important. That we are really hard on ourselves, and I think especially women, and I don't know, just giving you a big old financial hug. You don't have to be perfect. You just do the best that you can with what you have, and then when you have different than you do differently.
Speaker 2: I love that absolutely, And just give yourself grace, pretend like you're talking to a friend. I think we all could use. We all just need to give ourselves a break. I think that's been the hardest part of this year, is knowing when to just be like listen, done is better than perfect. Another day is in the books and you survived, and that's sometimes that's all you can, you know, expect of yourself. So yes, never here to set on realistic expectations. I don't want to do that for myself. I don't want to do it for y'all. I just think that is a recipe for just discontent, you know, and lack of joy, and it's no way to live. And I think the older I get, the more I realize that. All Right, Well, thank you for that message, Melanie. That was really sweet.
Speaker 1: Well we should do more of those. I like those.
Speaker 2: We like when y'all say nice stuff. Feel free. You don't have to just send us question, send us praise, send us prayse there any anecdotes, Yeah, you can hit us up, you know, Brand Ambition podcast on ig or Brand Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com. That's Oh, this is a good one tip because we were talking a little bit earlier about the pressures you know, children have with their parents, and this this reader or reader, this listener has a question about her parents. All right, she says, I'm thirty three and the eldest of three children. I'm also the only child that isn't married or has kids. Here's the issue I need advice on. My parents are over fifty. My mom is the primary bread winner slash bill pair and makes decent money in the healthcare field working as an independent contractor. Neither of my parents, though, currently has health insurance, life insurance, or has money set aside for retirement. My mom does have about twenty K and savings because she has to pay her business taxes. How do I get them to start thinking about setting money aside and what types of investment slash retirement accounts should they be looking into. I feel like I'll be the one responsible for their care when they're no longer able to care for themselves, and think that if they have even a small nest egg, it will help me sleep better at night.
Speaker 1: Thank you woof.
Speaker 2: This is this one can mean deep, This one's real. This is a I feel her, I feel the weight of responsibility on her shoulders, and part of me just wants to grab it off, be like it's not your job.
Speaker 1: But I think, well, I can understand because it's hard, because it's like, ah, oh, you gotta like because it's like do I let my parents flounder?
Speaker 2: And you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like even Oh, it's not your job to take care of them. I think you'd be hard for US press to find a kid that if their parents needed them in desperate times, what do you do? So I'm reading this book called one of my new favorite authors right now. His name is Jonah Berger. I read his book called The Catalysts. No, I read his book called Contagious you know, how ideas Stick or something to that point. It was really good, Like if you're into like business and marketing and excellent read. Well I listened to it via audible, but still whatever that's reading. So now I'm reading The Catalyst, and the Catalyst is how to change anyone's mind. So what's her name?
Speaker 2: Anonymous?
Speaker 1: Anonymous? You can call her Sarah, right, So Sarah. One of the things that Jonah talks about is finding what he calls the movable middle. So if you are the extreme on one side of like a say like a I don't know, the tennis court or a football field, and your parents are on the other side, So your extreme is like have all the responsible financial things intact, and they're over here, like, look, I'm just living day to day because fifty is still young.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like well, people are usually able to shift like either to the left or to the right of what their middle is. But if you are super far off in one direction or the other, it's really hard to figure out what that middle is for them. So maybe the middle is I got her to open up an online only savings account.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: So what happens with the movable middle is that if before she was saving nothing, but now she has an online only savings account, you have moved the middle. Now opening a savings account is not that far from opening a CD. Now you've moved the middle a little closer to you. Now opening a CD is not that far from getting her to open up a retirement account. Do you see? You can start to shift where the middle is and get closer and closure to your side of the field. So figuring out what's the movable middle? What I used to say with them, for like people who would reach out to me about their significant other is I would say, find the common denominator, find something that they're that they're already in a gre like with Superman, he was not a good saver, he wasn't an overspender, but he was an overgiver. He gave away all his money and the only thing that we could both agree upon was Supergirl, his daughter my bonus baby is that he always agreed we should put a set aside money for her. So I started there. It was like a year of like, yeah, I know you want to give such and such a cousin all your money, but did we put money in Supergirl's account? Oh no, I didn't. Okay, you know I'm gonna do that instead, and I'd be like, whoof. So from there that was a movable middle. So if I can convince him to save for Supergirl, then I can convince him the say for vacation, that I can convince him the safe for a wedding, that I could convince the safe for a house, and then you see what I mean Now, like Superman and I are like talking about investing and buying the next investment property. But I had to slowly but surely find the movable middle. And now he's living on budget list Island.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even know how he came there. I know, and at only there talking about his manipulation. But I love it, but in a good way for their own benefit.
Speaker 1: But I don't even feel bad about it. They need it, so for your parents, I would just say, find find common denominator, the movable middle, an inch toward that, don't don't try to drag them all the way over to your side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The part that hit me deep is this feeling of if they don't get it, then I'm the one they're going to fall back on. And as the as a young woman in a family, the eldest of three, she says, with no children. I think society has shown when you're the daughter in a family, even if you have kids and a whole husband or a wife or whatever, like a lot of the you know, responsibility of caring for elderly parents does fall on the on the female children's shoulders. So I think that that's a real risk and a real fear, and I think that I understand that stress. And also you're my exact same age. I see this happening to my elder sister. She's married, but she doesn't have children, and you know, she's she's the one people don't mind bothering because like what she got going on but is not fair, which is not fair. And I will say, you know, to Tiffany's point too, I have been I mean, I remember going back to when I was a little girl. My mom smoked, like all all of the older people in my family smoked. But I used to hide her cigarettes. I'd hide her pack of misty menthol lights. I would take the whole box and put at the top of the closet where she couldn't find it. I tried to get to quit. I would like post pictures of charred cancer written lungs around the house when I did science projects. None of that extreme, like extreme work on my baby. My baby shoulders did much. It was maybe too much in the other direction. My mom had to just come to that, you know, realization on her own. So I do feel like you you can, you can state your case and tell them how you feel. But coming on too strong is what I'm trying to get at. That's that's been my downfall in the past. But to Tiffany's point, the comment denominator thing, I think is going to be important, and I think you need to make it about them and not so much about you personally. I have kind of played that, oh well, if you don't get this under you know, under control, then you're gonna have to rely me. And that didn't go over so hot. They got pretty defensive. The thing about parents when they're older, is they get really defensive when like you try to parent them, at least in my experience, So if you come at them like I need to take care of you because you can't take care of yourself, I've got a feeling you're going to get some pushback because you know, to their credit, they're they're surviving. Maybe they don't have everything you want them to have, but they're taking care of themselves. They have you know, stable income and setting aside money for taxes and all that. So maybe you know, make start talking to them more about maybe their their future, you know, where they see themselves as retiring. But I don't know if you agree what really for whatever, what really scares me about her question is the fact that they don't have health insurance and they're in their fifties Like that to me is quite terrifying. And I get it because look, she her her mother's an independent contractor and they probably you know, they earn a decent income, and those health care plans on the marketplace are very expensive. So if you don't get insurance, they can be very so if you don't qualify for subsidies, right, and I know, I do know people who are you know, small business owners or entrepreneurs, and they just forego the insurance, they take the tax hit or is there tax penalty? I forget did the Republicans get rid of that? Actually no, I think that was one of the cornerstones of the Obamacare Act that actually Republicans took away with that tax hit. But anyway, regardless, it's it's expensive to get healthcare, but that is probably the biggest risk to their financial future. And I would just say I didn't read this part of her question, but she mentions that she's helped them, like by becoming that's just my dog freaking out. She's helped them by becoming a co signer on their mortgage. I would just be super careful to not like, because you know, worse comes to worse if they get a bunch of medical debt and debt collectors. Calm. You don't want to put your own financial security at risk. So make sure that whatever you know, you need to put your life jacket on first, or what is it, put your life your oxygen oxygen.
Speaker 1: Mask, yes, for your life decket oxygenation.
Speaker 2: Mask covers and take and make sure that you're not setting yourself up to get dragged down, you know, with them. But yeah, that that lack of health care is maybe where I would start, because that, to me is the biggest risk as they get as they get older. It's it can be truly. I mean, one hospital visit can set you back tens of thousands of dollars, you know, for something innocuous, and that that's as you get older. There's just so much risk there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would say this too, is that one of the things that like, you know, I got from the book The catalyst, is that when you are trying to push someone in a direction, there in the act natural reaction is to push back. You know that a true catalyst creates an environment where the person changes of their own free will. So asking yourself, like, how can I create an environment where I'm not like you need a pulling you along? You need to do this, You need to do that instead of creating environment where it's like, oh my gosh, mom, you know I just signed up. I just use them the health Care your website or policy Genius, which is like a website that many and I have both used. I think you used it for your dad, right, Mandy, And I used it for myself. Before I got married.
Speaker 2: Oh, Policy Genius actually used them, I used I did use them to shop for my life insurance policy. Ended up using Quote Wizard. But they're basically an insurance marketplace. You can look up all kinds of types of insurance through them, health, life, frontal, pet, everything.
Speaker 1: And so maybe you just maybe one of the things is like the hurdle, like that's what's keeping folks back because it's sometimes it's hard to like, ugh, I don't want to do a thing because all the work that I see it's involved. So if you become a catalyst by making the environment super easy by saying, Okay, how can I remove some of the hurdles that she might have in mind for getting health insurance by doing most of the preliminary work ahead of time, because you're right, it is kind of scary, and you know, unfortunately sometimes you know, we have to take care of our parents the way they took care of us. So good luck to you, and you know, if you want, like I said, Catalysts by Jonah Berger was so good. I mean halfway through it. But it's really teaching me how to not be so pushy and instead create an environment where you know, people get to make decisions for themselves, and hopefully they turned my way.
Speaker 2: No, I'm listening to you talk about it. I know it's like a business book, but I'm thinking of all the ways I use that those those tactics. Talking to family who voted for Trump last election, including my own mother who she did not vote for him this time around. She voted for Biden. Not only that, but homegirl had a Biden Harris sign in her front front yard, got Michelle Obama's book, and put a Black Lives Matter sign in her front yard and for her area in Saint Louis. That was that was a big deal. So and the way, you know, I had to and I thought back in that little girl with the with the cancer lung pictures and all like like, maybe we should try things a little bit differently this time, Mandy, and not like, you know, go so hard. But it was a four year obviously, and it was having really slow, safe conversations around around politics and her beliefs and race and my feelings and stuff and on. I had to really tamp down my emotions. My little brother and I both and my sister too, you know, put our emotions aside, be open to hearing her say some you know, things that we did not agree with, and slowly but surely chip chip chip away, and so yeah, that's that's interesting. And I I think with and I think, you know, you're at an age two anonymous Sarah, where you're old enough to know, okay, I can't just like come in, you know, completely and just tell them what to do. It's got to be an open conversation setting, you know, creating a safe space, no judgment, and try to slowly but surely even just bringing up topics like insurance, like and understanding, you know, just kind of interviewing them and maybe see what hang ups they have or maybe why they aren't doing something. Sometimes just asking a simple question, you realize there's a barrier that they could easily fix. They just like, they just need to tell you what the barrier is. I remember I was talking to my aunt recently and she was like, she kept complaining about her cell phone reception and how her you know, she had no she couldn't never talk to people because it was so bad. She was trying to attend church on zoom and it would never her her cell phone was so bad. And I was like, do you have Internet? And she said no, it's too expensive, YadA YadA, And I was like, look, you're on public assistance. I'm going to look up a program and see if there's something in Georgia that can offer you affordable Wi Fi. And within a couple of weeks she had ten dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Wi Fi, you know.
Speaker 2: And it was all just from a sense of oh, this is the way it is. And I think, you know, just opening up that conversation with someone in your family to see maybe why it is that they're not doing something and listening and listening and then gently trying to help them find their way toward a solution can be the way. But I totally identify with this question, and I empathize with anyone out there looking at their parents and being like, oof, that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yep. That was a good question. No, that was a good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you Sarah so much. All Right, y'all, that wraps it up for Q and as it's.
Speaker 1: Time for boost or break up? Boost up? Break up? Boost UPO are you gonna boost? Are you going to break?
Speaker 2: Well, Tiffany knows. I'm thinking on the fly here, I have a and it's gonna have multi multi mini boosts. I'm gonna boost supporting a local bookstore. I recently you can order books online from your local bookstores, y'all, and and they're so nice about the books that you order. I just ordered a few books from my local bookstore. I'm just trying to think, how can I support small businesses? To be honest, I feel a little guilty because I did a lot of shopping on Cyber Monday or Black Friday, whatever it was, because big, big retailers are having some pretty big sales. But anyway, so shop small if you can this holiday season and support local businesses. That's my first boost. And then I finally sat down and watched Jangle Jangle on Netflix last weekend.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: When I say good, Tiffany, you got away. And I know you're not into TV and all kind of stuff, you got to watch this movie with Supergirl. You have to. It's so good. It's like it's it's like the it's like the fantasy.
Speaker 1: A Disney movie.
Speaker 2: It's not Disney, though, but it's like the fantasy film for children that we deserved as little black children in this country. There is oh like the plot, the quality, oh my god, everything from the hair just go for the hair, the makeup, and the music, but stay for the quality of the story because it is also good. The music was produced by John Legend. I don't know who did hair and makeup, but you'll never like these natural hairstyles that they created, these looks that they create on these beautiful black performers. The cast is mostly black and people of color. They're singing and dancing. And the storyline is so good. It's it's basically about an inventor, a famous inventor whose apprentice steals his steals his inventions, his his master playlist for inventions, and it kind of takes place like I don't know, like eighteen hundred z times and it kind of and it features the power of his daughter and her daughter, his granddaughter and helping him get back to finding his own magic as an inventor. And there is a little girl who plays the heroine of this movie. And she is like a mathematical genius and she is beautiful and she sings, and she is adorable, and there's like a little and her and her and her her sidekick. His name is Edison. It's like really adorable British black boy, like you don't see Carol, like, this is them. It was so good. I'm gonna shut up down, but it was amazing. And I hope there's sequels and three quools and all that because it was that that good. They really did that movie Justice.
Speaker 1: Ooh sounds like as a family. Yes, well, I'll do like a little bit of a oh. I guess this is kind of boost like and like another kind of like break, so boosting for I don't know, dude, did you watch an Unforgiven Dave Chappelle? Did we talk about it? No, we didn't. Did you see it on his ig page?
Speaker 2: Did I watch?
Speaker 1: Is it like one of his specials? So no, Unforgiven is like this twenty eighteen to twenty minute. I don't even call it special, just kind of like his audience chat that he posted. He's a master storyteller. But the purpose of the chat was to ask people, I don't know if you've seen the signs where people are like where he says, like, don't watch Chappelle show. I don't know if you've heard people talking about it. Okay, so so many people know that, you know. Years ago he signed a contract with Comedy Central and it was like a fifty million dollar contract. It was a banner contract. Chappelle Show was one of the most popular sketch shows in history ever made, but he walked away because he it wasn't in alignment with how he wanted to show up. I'm not certain of the of the specifics of why he walked away, but as a results of walking away, they kept, you know, they kept his creative property. And he's like, yeah, I signed a contract, but it was a crappy contract. And so you know, we all know he's made a huge comeback. He has Netflix, He has a deal with Netflix. I think it's like sixty million dollars. And but now Comedy Central, which I think is owned by Viacom, has been like now that he's like out here shining again, they put took they leased or licensed Chappelle Show to Netflix and HBO to play. And he was pissed about it because he doesn't get any money, you know, like his blood, sweat and tears. You guys said that he was a loser, but not so much now that you want to use his you know, his intellectual property. And it was just a testament to why ownership is so important. Why you know, I don't know if you guys saw say the Last Dance where Scottie Pippen. He when he first signed his contract when he was a young basketball player. You know, he had many brothers and sisters and I think his father was sick, so he didn't sign the best deal. So even though he was six time winner, number two basketball player in the league, he was paid one hundred and twenty fifth or something crazy like that. So it's just things like that. That's just like it's it's a it's a boost in net to watch it, but it's a break to be because it's kind of sad how people and the industries take advantage of people use up all of their talent and their gifts and then not wanting to you know, not wanting to equitably pay folks even if you sign a contract. One thing that Dave said, He's like, I signed a contract, but does that make it right? Yeah, Like you know, like I remember I shared the story with you that there was a company where they I did something for them just for freaks. I thought it was a good thing. It was a it's a conference to help black women, and that's how they pulled me in. And I was like, you know what this sounds great. Not too many black women are doing, you know, are making courses. So they were like, oh, we'd love for you to to, you know, do this conference with us. And I said, sure, did the and I probably I did sign whatever, but I'm thinking like, yeah, to sign to say you can use my image for the conference. Like maybe a year later, I saw my image in an AD and I was like, hey, what's this. I didn't agree to be in an ad And I remember it was in the CEO of CMO and he said, yes, you did. Did you get the contract? I was like wow. But the only thing that saved it was they want me to do other work with them. And I guess he thought about it because I was about to come back and be like, yo, it's a wrap for you because I'm one of well, I'll keep a like cause I don't want to see the company. But they came back. I was like, oh, but if you want us to take it down, I said, take it down, take it down, and then I proceeded when I got on the phone to be like honestly, the audacity and the gall like, don't do that. I did that conference in service to black women. You tricky shysting sheasters right, I couldn't believe it, right, But that's not the first time. There is this one company that reaches out every single year to all the financial folks so they can make their fake top ten lists, top ten financial advisors to follow. But then you read the contract, Mandy, and it says we can use your image any way, anyhow any It literally says anywhere in the universe, in perpetuity the universe. Let's Pluto, and I remember what, so I can be included in your list.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: That is their way of being able to take your image and use it however they want. And I remember, like, cause the first year I was so geek to do it. You know, of course I signed. I didn't even look at the contract. Really, I signed. And the second year they reached out, I read it and I was like, well, this seems a little overreaching. Why doesn't it just say, hey, you gave us the right to use your picture to be one of the top ten people for this particular article. Why does it have to say all this? And they were like, oh, I said, well, I'm not signing. They're like, well, you signed the last year. I said, well, I'm not signing. This is crazy and then I looked, and so many of our friends were on the list. I'm sure or they didn't look because you know you don't you would never think. But now I am so careful, Like there are a bunch of projects that I've done that I've gone in and edited it myself and said, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, you cannot use my image anywhere in the universe in perpetuity. You can have me selling Colt forty five and ten years on your platform. So just being mindful of like ownership of your image and even as your whatever empire that you're building for yourself, being mindful of the decisions that you make now it would you be okay with with the terms five, ten, fifteen, twenty years from now. I have said no to so many air quote opportunities that seem huge in the moment, but in the long term I know that I would regret them. So just being mindful of that. So it's like a kind of like a boosty boosty I don't know if it's a break, but definitely like a boosty cautionary tale TAILI So that's it, And you haven't watched Unforgivable on Dave Chappelle's IG.
Speaker 2: You totally should I did not know he was doing like an IG series. That's dope. I love it. I did watch his interview with Dave Letterman just real quick on Netflix. He does reveal, I think, for the first time, why he walked away, like the incident that happened. Dave Letterman's a pretty good interview. I know he's problematic, but whatever Dave Chappelle. He it was something about there was a joke, there was a skit that he was doing, and it was at the expense of black people with a punchline and he said he someone in in the crew, like a white guy. The way that he laughed set Dave Chappelle off, and it was something like that. I really encourage all to check out his interview with Dave Letterman because it was really good and he really hadn't spoken about why he walked away from fifty million dollars and it was interesting to hear his perspective and I could watch him talk all day, so I will be checking out. Was it called unforgiven unforgivable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, unforgiven. I think it's unforgiven. It's it's just I don't even know that he's doing a series he just posted on his IG and it's just so masterfully told.
Speaker 2: It's just yeah awesome, alrighty, all right, Well that was a great boosty breaky. I love a good boosty breaky.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: Alright, it's December, what the heck? Alright, you guys, I know we will see y'all next week. Let's finish out this year, right, just we're almost there, right there to twenty twenty one. I don't know what's on the other side of this particular rainbow of dumpster fires, but I hope it's something nice. I bet you it is. Stay positive,