Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of What's Trending on Boner Yelp. That is his courtesy of kaith Aiken, I think quoting Katie Golden or inspired by Katie Golden. We were talking about the need for a boner yelp app on yesterday's episode. Today's episode, Now, let me guess what that means?
Speaker 2: Is that? Is that a rating.
Speaker 3: Survey rating of boners? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Jack that super producer Brian Jeffrey.
Speaker 3: I have a deep voice because I'm sick.
Speaker 2: Yep, and I am also sick, so it is sick boy summer.
Speaker 1: Sick boy summer. We did an episode about the placebo effect this morning, and I am immediately sick, fucking annoying. Anyways, shall we tell the people what's trending?
Speaker 2: Brian?
Speaker 3: Shall we?
Speaker 1: Shall we tell the people what's trending to European Summer. That's where you're wondering where Miles is. He's taking part in the European Summer along with Kanye West, who was spotted on main in Venice with his ass hanging out of the split in the back of his blazer.
Speaker 2: Just getting a blowy on a gondola.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting a blowy on a gondola, which is I mean, I'm it's the sort of thing you would brag about in a song, but it doesn't. It didn't look that cool. Actually, it looked weird, looked it looked awkward.
Speaker 2: He seemed way too concerned about It's that weird thing where it's like, Okay, you're down enough to get a blowy on a gondola, but you're also very concerned, but you're concerned about you can see it's super weird. I don't get it. It's like, if you're gonna do that, just be out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like in the super ego happening at the same time, and also like in a nearby boat. I'm pretty sure one of their personal assistants was like having to just pretend it wasn't happening. That's the real crime against humanity on display here. Anyways, Speaking of that whole realm of humanity, there was a video.
Speaker 3: With Chris Jenner.
Speaker 1: I guess it was posted by Chris Jenner's makeup artists, and Chris Jenner looks like she's in her early thirties in the video, but also looks like partially computer generated and the makeup artist is like, oh, Chris, oh, it's amazing, it's beautiful. You look wonderful. And I don't know, people people are mad about it. They're like, she looks ridiculous, she looks like AI. I actually think she looks way better than the daged characters in the Irishman.
Speaker 2: That that is a fact that she absolutely does her daging algorithm on her phone or whoever's phone looks better than the Irishman. But I think I think people are genuinely mad about this. I think they might be a little out of touch with like phone face smoothing in other cultures, because this is very normal in Asian countries to see this level of Yeah, for sure, for sure, it does look a little unnatural to the Western eye. But it's not like.
Speaker 3: I think pretty good, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I think they're nailing it anyways. I mean, also, I have heard tell that every shot in Keeping Up with the Kardashians has some manner of face tage going on sixty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah looks great, doesn't she Yo's great? Doesn't folks?
Speaker 2: Wow? Okay, yeah I did not. Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed that.
Speaker 1: There's an article on Dazed digital about why is everyone on TikTok talk like that aka influencer voice? And I think I know this tone just from like videos making fun of it.
Speaker 3: I think, like we yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a thing. If you watch like you know, you know, influencers YouTube personalities. I notice it a lot. There's a particular cadence and hey, guys.
Speaker 3: That's how it starts. I do that. I have influencer voice, and that's how I talk to my family.
Speaker 2: It's I love the idea of influencer voice in like everyday life.
Speaker 1: I just got some groceries that I'm going to be unpacking right now into the refrigerator, So come on over here and watch. We got some lactose free milk because otherwise you guys are gonna shit yourselves.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that if I'm still influencer voicing it or not.
Speaker 2: Now. Something something I'm noticing in this article is like the clips are all of women, Oh yeah, which I think is interesting because people, Yes, of course, people like to pick on linguistic traits of women.
Speaker 1: Weate the trends that men then catch up to like a decade later.
Speaker 2: Like vocal fry. It's like people like to think that vocal fry is something that only women do, and it's it's just, I don't know, it smacks of you know, sexism.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well, men aren't allowed to be expressive with their voices or like try new things.
Speaker 3: They have to just talk in a monotone.
Speaker 1: So women get to like explore the space and have fun with their voice, and then men catch up to it ten fifteen years later. But the whole time, the ten to fifteen years that it's taken them to catch up and like incorporate all of the innovations that women are making, they spend that in entire time criticizing the women for talking that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if these are the only kind of examples they're putting out there, it's only women. I'm not really I'm not really fucking with this.
Speaker 1: But it's according to Tony Thorn and doctor Christian Ilbury, a socio linguist at the University of Edinburgh. He adds that up talk, where people end their sentence with a higher pitch as if they're asking a question, is another common characteristic of TikTok boys.
Speaker 3: I don't I think it's great.
Speaker 1: That people like people should should have a new way of talking and be creating new ways of talking all the time. But yeah, it does feel like Tony Thorn and doctor Christian Ilberry are going are just basically creating ways for middle aged men to retirement aged men to complain about how people how women talk on the internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because up talk is definitely like a lot of New Zealanders, White New Zealanders have a have an up talk at the end of their sentences and it never sounds like they're finishing their sentences. And yeah, and I always always make fun of her for that. That's always really interesting to me. But yeah, I mean it's good that people are keeping, you know, track of this sort of thing, I guess, But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's an observation. Yeah, it's a normal way of talking. Find a new angle, asshole. We got to say rip to Joe the Plumber, who I'd forgotten existed.
Speaker 2: Who's Joe the Plumber?
Speaker 1: You don't remember Joe the Plumber? Two thousand and eight presidential election. He got on one of the.
Speaker 2: Like remember most of two thousand and eight, be honest with you.
Speaker 1: He got on like a town hall with Barack Obama and asked him things about like how he was going to pay for his tax plan, which you always know when people are digging into the weeds of the tax plan that they gotta have a tax plan. They're always gonna be good faith arguers. But anyways, the clip would have been totally forgotten. But John McCain kept referencing Joe the Plumber in the final debate and then like, I think he like brought him out and like campaigned with him and made this guy, Joe the Plumber, into a national celebrity. And the attention led to the revelation that Joe the Plumber hadn't actually paid all of his taxes, and he wasn't a fully licensed plumber, and his name wasn't Joe.
Speaker 2: That was my next question was like, is he actually a plumber?
Speaker 1: Sure demanded that he removed the designation from his own website, and Joe the Plumber later said of John McCain, he really screwed my life up. McCain was trying to use me. I happened to be the faith of middle Americans. It was a ploy, and he then tried to capitalize on his newfound celebrity, releasing a book Fighting for the American Dream that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cover.
Speaker 1: Is not great not the best cover design that I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's lacking. It's definitely lacking. He looks like he's on benzos.
Speaker 3: He does look like he's on benzos a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: And he got in trouble for his campaign ads which suggested that gun control led to the Holocaust. So, in case you were waiting for that other shoe to drop on Joe the Plumber, that was it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna do the math on that one. Yeah, I'm just gonna leave that, Leave that to him. Well, you know, truly one of the greatest too ever.
Speaker 3: Not be noticed by you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, never literally never heard of this guy.
Speaker 1: So he ran for Congress, lost badly, and then around the time of his day he passed away from I believe pancreatic cancer. But he was recently working for a company that makes steel barricades to protect students in the event of a mass shooting.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, it's the booming.
Speaker 1: Industry, America's gun problem. You might call it a problem. I call it a job creator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it stimulates the economy.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back, and we're back. We're back, really enjoying my deep voice, my deep gravelly voice.
Speaker 3: Show it folks, get it, get it well to get in limited.
Speaker 1: Dude, I feel like I could do a what's his name? Uh, what's the conspiracy theory guy? This is the other problem. I have brain fog. I'm sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but whatever the conspiracy theory guy talks like.
Speaker 2: His name is Jones, Alex Jones. Yeah, you can do me and Alex Jones.
Speaker 3: If I could remember his name and had ever listened to him.
Speaker 1: Disney Special Effects workers VFX workers have filed to unionize with the NLRB, which is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for number of reasons.
Speaker 1: You know, photo realistic talking lines don't just appear.
Speaker 3: At the touch of a button. It takes a lot of labor.
Speaker 1: And as we've talked about throughout the strike, VFX workers are like the last major, you know, part of a the making of a film that haven't been unionized, and they've yeah, they've suffered for it, and we as film viewers have suffered for it. And that's why special effects seem to like there'll be one really good one and then a decade and a half of like, yeah, you know, Avatar will happen, and then for a decade and a half, like everything that is three D will suck. Life of Pie will have like really cool special effects, but then by the time they won an Academy Award for it, the company that did the special effects will have gone out of business.
Speaker 2: Because that's disturbingly common for VFX houses to put in an insane amount of hours and put in good work a lot of the time, and it's just it's not sustainable for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the Disney News follows the news from last week that Marvel VFX workers filed unionize and votes will be counted for that on September twelfth.
Speaker 3: But there's just been a lot.
Speaker 1: Of reporting that it's a bad place to work. As VFX artists have explained in the past, they're the only major department currently working on every film set in America that is not unionized, and as a result, they have been taken advantage of. A twenty twenty two survey found that seventy percent of VFX workers report having worked uncompensated overtime hours for their employer, and seventy five percent of them were forced to work through legally mandated meal breaks and rest periods without compensation and on set VFX workers reported working in conditions they felt unsafe and so killing it Hollywood. Yeah, this is why it's it's really important that the unions come away from this strike strong, because when there's no union, this is how workers are treated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not going to do the right thing out of the kindness of their heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It has to be taken and maintained.
Speaker 1: It has to be forced on them. Yeah yeah, or just you know, there needs to be They will treat you as badly as they possibly can. Yeah, all right, I want to talk about drones. You are a drone pilot in your spare time, your free time, you take some pretty cool videos. It's a weird It's like a fascination of the book The Ministry for the Future that we covered that's about like the near future of climate change. And one of the threads that they predict in that book is like eco terrorists will have will start affecting things by you know, taking commercial airlines out of the sky, attacking billionaires. And all of these eco terror attacks happened via drone. And I don't know, I could see the future where drones are like just crawling all over the air and the news but I'm just curious, like what is so democratic about drones that's different from like bomb building or you know, like it seems harder to train yourself and become like precision with a drone as opposed to just learning to make a bomb or these guns which are everywhere. But maybe like is it easier to be anonymous?
Speaker 2: What is democratizing about drones, especially in twenty twenty three is that they basically fly themselves at uh. Yeah, that's one big thing is like you can pilot a drone autonomously by setting waypoints and stuff like that, and the imaging has gotten a lot better, so it's like you don't need special skills to pilot this this thing, you just need a little bit of practice. And the range is also insane these days, where it's like, you know, I can send my drone ten kilometers out and if you're only on a one way trip, that's you know, that's pretty handy, you know, not being detected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of things, and they're also a lot more affordable than they used to be. And yeah, yeah, there's just the convergence of a lot of different things that just makes this a lot more available a lot easy. You can just go to you know, best Buy, Costco wherever, just pick one up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So some of the news stories that we've seen over the past couple of weeks, like one of Mexico's most violent cartels has just created its own elite unit of drone operators, which are like highly trained hit men that tweak commercial drones and turn them into flying bombs to use against rival cartels. So, I don't know, it seems like that sort of thing what we'll see more and more of it, maybe, But.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it domestically, you know, in the States, just because just by way of when people see shit on the internet, like they want to copy it. And it's like we've seen a lot in the past year. We've seen a lot of footage of drones in warfare from Ukraine doing really innovative things with commercial drones. I'll just leave it at that, and it's just like no one's expecting, like, you know, that kind of death from above. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are they getting quieter because the ones I've seen sound like fucking lawnmowers.
Speaker 3: Now they've gotten quieter.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends, like you know, it scales up with size. But yeah, there's a lot of work being done with material sciences and now with three D printing, you can design propellers that are a lot quieter than in the stock ones. And you know, when I put my drone up, it only has to be about like maybe fifty feet in the air to where I can't hear it anymore. And wow, that's not that high up and those that's just stocked. So yeah, it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's a terrifying prospect.
Speaker 1: Like there there are these evolutionary biologist theories that one of the most kind of at a gut level creepy things that like gives people goosebumps, is like when a shadow passes overhead, and I think it's from back when like birds used to be thunderbirds you have like twenty foot wingspans, and people were so like one of the big survival you know instincts that a human could have is like to not be into death from above and to like have a innate sense of that. But we've we've gotten soft, We've been able to not worry that much about from above for a while.
Speaker 2: But I noticed with my cats is like that's still a very strong instinct with at least my cats, where they will not be in the open at all. They have to be underneath something, whether takes off no, no, no, no, just in general, like when they're outside on the roof, like they have to be underneath something. They won't just like be completely out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, smart, smart cat, Claby girl. All right, interesting future you've got. There be a shame of something cool. We're to happen to it, all right, Brian, that's gonna do it for this Tuesday Afternoons trending episode.
Speaker 3: Thanks for doing it, my pleasure. Back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show.
Speaker 1: Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we.
Speaker 3: Will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: By Hey