Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Center is.
Speaker 3: America's only surce for news. This is the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: With your home song.
Speaker 5: How Welcome to the Daily Show, ny Cock Turk. We got a great joke for you tonight.
Speaker 1: I didn't even want to tell you this before economist Mark Carney is here. Yeah, you us for it. We listened. We will be discussing whether or not he's going to run to be the Liberal Party of Canada's new leader, or if he will be the governor of our fifty first state.
Speaker 6: We're not sure yet.
Speaker 1: But of course, all news pales in comparison to what is occurring right now in the state of California. Horrifying inferno whose danger even now has not passed. But even amongst the tragedy and sadness, there have been incredible moments of human compassion and kindness, neighbors looking after neighbors, charitable contributions pouring into GoFundMe from all areas of the world, mainly the tireless and heroic actions of firefighters in the California region soe of then prisoners fighting with incredible bravery and tenacity, rescue workers from all over the country, rescue workers from outside the country, rescue workers from Mexico, Mexico. Damn your open borders, Biden boy, I guess they are sending us their best. You want to know how bad it is in California right now, Here's how bad it is.
Speaker 7: President Vladimir Zelenski has offered to send one hundred and fifty Ukrainian first responders to help battle the massive wildfires.
Speaker 1: We're so fed that a country that has been relentlessly bombed for almost three years was like you poor best. But it is a testament to the resilientdiance of the human spirit of man's ability across cultural and political and religious lines in times of crisis to appeal to our better angels, as Archbishop Desmond tutu One said, we are made for goodness and love and compassion, or as our own President elect put it.
Speaker 6: Trump shared a meme on truth Social of fires raging behind the Hollywood Sign, which was photoshopped to read Trump was right.
Speaker 1: Appropriate. Thank you, mister President. I'd almost forgotten your pension for casual cruelty and dick foolery flames. Nice touch on the graphics. Surely you won't be content with just trolling those in dire need. Surely you also see this as a merch portunity.
Speaker 8: The New York Post posted these images of President elect Donald Trump driving a golf cart wearing a Trump was right about everything hat.
Speaker 1: Trump was right about almost everything. I wouldn't say he was right about the outfit choice rule of thumb. Never dressed in the same color scheme as the upholstery of your own vehicle. Unless wait, perhaps Trump has reached his highest form, part man, part golf cart, and apparently all cholesterol. I don't know. I guess uh RFK junior stat Okay, but Trump is control. The problem now is Republicans appear to want to attach there I told you SOS as a condition of funding California's disaster relief.
Speaker 9: I expect that there will be strings attached to money that is ultimately approved.
Speaker 3: I think there should probably be conditions on that day. That's personal view.
Speaker 1: Before we put funds into place, We've got to find out exactly how we're going to hold these leaders accountable and what sort of policy changes are required. There can't be a blank check on this. They don't deserve anything.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, and the last they show us they're going to make some changes.
Speaker 1: What the fuck is wrong with you, really, senator from Alabama, the state near the bottom in math reading and test scores. Next time you get hit by a hurricane, why don't we have a little parent teacher conference to see that if you got your scores up, you would get the money. Or actually, let's not do it, because you'll get the money anyway, because we're not psychos. That is psychotic. There's something wrong with you. And you know what, And here's the thing. I can do the Daily Show back and run down all the congress people and senators on the right calling for conditions on disasterrate that absolutely had the opposite view when it was their state on the line. We need to do everything we can. We have citizens that are literally going to get worse by the day. Just shut the fuck up because I can do it. But it doesn't even matter. I'm not even gonna do it because red states are always the tragic victims of circumstance outside of their control, and Democrats always vote for their aid, whereas blue state disasters are a function of their flawed morality and policy. And if we help blue state survivors, well, what message will that send? What lesson will they learn? But fine? If strings must be attached, what be the strings?
Speaker 10: The problem with California is forestry management.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's true. I didn't that's true. The management of the forest. You have to rake the leaves and shut down the illegal elf tree cookie factory. It's the I understand. And what a great, utterly anodyne suggestion. I mean, what forest couldn't be managed better? I mean, you've been to a forest lately. Chaos. It's chaos in the dirt and leaves and what is that bear shit? I'm sure I want to see the manager. Okay, so we get the money if we have better forest management, everybody then gets food and clothes. What else?
Speaker 3: They've not done the necessary work to make sure there's fresh water flowing. It's a key areas.
Speaker 7: Oh water, no question, no question. Water for the fire. I'm going to get that message to the firefighters. Toot.
Speaker 1: Sweet water is so important. Water is a terrific fire. I don't even want to say the R word, but I but, as I always say, more, what do you got there, mister fire? Nothing like water? Water works on all kinds of fire, except for one kind of fire. But I don't know which one that is, but odds are with you point taking forest management and get some water up here, and then your children may have blankets. These are all great pointers on how to mitigate fires, and I'm sure California has absolutely been trying water and forest management. Maybe not good enough, but they have it. There's one thing you might not be considering as you criticize them, and that's this. I don't know what kind of a system you can develop that completely mitigates the risk of fire plus drought conditions plus sixty to eighty mile per hour winds plus delicious wood. Look at this. Look what's happening right there? Do you see this fire to tornado? Break your way out of that? Do you understand? I love the blame game. I love the blame game. I play it all the time. But the fires are out and the fire to torn The only thing that would stop that is the absence of oxygen, which, if I'm being honest, we could do. Hear me out. There's something something called a klosh. A close is a covering. You've probably seen it in pie shops. You can put a close now if I'm just very quickly, guys, that's the continental sized cloche that we had on a previous program suggested for immigration reform, we need a little more casual guests. Can you check on the sideboard behind the gravy frigates. It's not if it's not there, it's under the sink. The California that's it. The California closure air tight the best way to smother a Los Angeles sized fire. And if you live in New Jersey, keep a pie fresh in a diner for eight to nine years. The close. I am going to make clothes happen years from now. Now. I'm gonna get a hat that says, don't do it with writing about everything? Oh god, what all you idiots or dead? Don't you so? But these people don't actually care. They're not actually trying to find a solution. They're just trying to work their pet issues into this tragic situation. It's confusing, but thankfully some people are being more explicit in their conspiracy theories.
Speaker 11: On ex Representative Marjorie Taylor Green asked why don't they use geoengineering like cloud seating to bring rain down on the wildfires in California?
Speaker 3: They know how to do it.
Speaker 1: Who is they, Margaret? Are you perhaps referring to the theyish people. Is that is that what it is, Margaret, The very same people that control the area on fire. Why would we they destroy the very industry they control when we also have the means to bring the rains. We have space lasers and we can bring rain. The clues of them, Margaret, Alex News.
Speaker 11: Alex Jones wrote that Los Angeles fires are part of a larger globalist plot to wage economic warfare and de industrialize the United States before triggering total collapse.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, well it's Alex Jones. He is certainly known for this type of thinking. I don't believe anyone is going to be taken in by this type of post.
Speaker 11: Elon Mus corresponded to that post by writing, true.
Speaker 1: No, I feel safe, but unfortunately a lot of the information that's out there is not correct, and because of poor forest management, that information just jumps, igniting into larger and larger nonsense infernos that coincidentally seem to reinforce whatever grudge any of these folks have against California, especially their ideology. When you hear stories about State of Oregon sending sixty fire trucks, I haven't confirmed that myself yet. But they had to go to Sacramento to get emissions testing, get them to LA where they're needed. I mean, this is woke on, woke on wild kind of stuff. Oh, woke on wild. I remember those VHS tapes spring Breakers, reading the autobiography of Malcolm X and putting on more clothes, getting cat called show us your privilege. By the way, as far as what he was saying, those fired, the whole thing is bullshit. The fire trucks were not sent to Sacramento to get emissions testing. They were sent there to be transitioned into minivans without their parents' consent. That's what happened. But man, if there is one thing harder to extinguish than the fires, it is the most resilient of the rights talking points. The whole thing is a complete disaster.
Speaker 3: A lot of it comes back to DEI.
Speaker 1: Kristin Crowley, the fire chief in Los Angeles. She is a very silly woman, the first gay female fire chief ever. Wow.
Speaker 8: Under her is Christina kept first lesbian assistant chief. Then under her is Christine Larson. They're all Christina Christina.
Speaker 1: She's also a.
Speaker 8: Lesbian Christina Christina Christina lesbian, lesbian, lesbian what what are you doing?
Speaker 2: You just summoned them?
Speaker 1: Do you understand you can't You can't just say the name three times? Do you know what? You're just unleashed onto this earth. From now on, it's just infernos and lesbian firefighters. Anyway. I'm not sure Megan with a why should be criticizing people named Christina? But apparently to the right, drought conditions, high winds, and densely stacked flammable structures were all fine until they added to lesbians. Then something pecurely happen.
Speaker 4: What is your message to city administrators starting with Mayor Besk?
Speaker 8: My message is the fire department needs to be properly funded, and it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not at this point, does the City of Los Angeles fail you?
Speaker 11: Yes, we need to be fully fully funded and supported so that our firefighters can do their jobs.
Speaker 1: Lesbian firefighter has attacked black lady mayor. Who will the right support in this opposite of a sophie's choice? Really, I mean in the hierarchy of dee crimes, black lady mayor lesbian fire fighter. I don't know which one of those is there. I want to say white whale, but that'd be wrong. But I'm not suggesting that DEI is not responsible for it at least ninety nine percent of this tragedy. But Devil's advocate. This is the Palisades in nineteen twenty three, and that's not after a fire. It's just dead. It's like a desert and someone decided to build a city there, a densely populated allbe a beautiful city in the middle of it. That's what they did. And I'm gonna guess that the person whose idea it was wasn't a lesbian firefighter or a black lady mayor. We didn't even have lesbians back then until one snuck here from France in nineteen thirty four. So stop with the DEI. Oh that was the straw that broke the cabal's back. The meritocracy built that city. The meritocracy created the dangerous conditions that made a tragedy like this almost inevitable. Don't take my.
Speaker 3: Word for it.
Speaker 1: I know the liberal argument sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher to your ear. Let me get someone who speaks to your frequency.
Speaker 10: So I was talking to this guy and he was telling me he goes, dude, one day, he goes. It's just going to be the right wind, and fire is going to start in the right place, and it's going to burn through La all the way to the ocean. And it's not a thing we can do about it now.
Speaker 1: Of course, he did go on to say lesbians will make it worse. The point is, man, we are humans. We build shit in difficult areas on the belief that we will figure out how to subdue God and nature for God's sakes. Fifty years they made a movie about what a dumb idea would be to develop this city into the country's second largest metro area. Even they knew LA wasn't a good place to raise your daughter or your sister, My sister, My God. Movies wild in the seventies, like you could do anything in movies like there's no like slap court, like literally in that they're like Jack, do it again this time when you fist, like there you do. Sometimes things happen that are beyond the bounds of human infrastructure, although admittedly the La powers that be have not covered themselves in glory at this time. Right now, if you need help, emergency information, resources and shelter is available. All of this can be found at URL. Look, I'm not saying she's Churchill. Es and gentlemen, don't worry when the bombs start falling. Don't worry. Just insert useful information here. So yeah, improvements can be made in leadership, in management, in design, in materials, in myriad ways. But sometimes fire fox a tornado and make some mockery of human infrastructure and our ability to dictate the terms of our existence on this planet. But the one thing it shouldn't dictate is the cruelty that we would show to those in pain, because we don't think they consistently vote right. But if you are gonna please, but if you're gonna attach strings, I still think this announcement was too.
Speaker 4: Far lost everything in a natural disaster. Introducing a new crowdfunding site from Congressional Republicans, Go.
Speaker 3: Thank You, Go thank You as.
Speaker 4: The number one source for politicians to dangle money over your head while delivering a monologue about why they hate your politics. No matter how hard life gets, there are people who care about your mayor's DEI policies. So start to go for you today, then sit back and wait for the helpful input about transgender athletes to roll in. Go for You available in all blue states in any cities where the mayor is black or gay.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we'll be talking to Mark Carney.
Speaker 2: Don't go away my guest tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about this. He's orr you want to hear this. He's a Canadian economist, former governor of the Bank of Canada and Bank of England. Please welcome to the program, Mark Carney, sir. Welcome, sir. I welcome you to our land, America. We are soon to be well.
Speaker 3: There was a border when I came. John, where was the.
Speaker 1: Last time you checked twitters? So you've really involved yourself in I remember you from two thousand and eight, and I truly I mean this, your work in helping Canada get through the economic crisis of two thousand and eight, the financial crisis that hit this country terribly, and I thought made a lot of really painful decisions for the people of this country. I thought Canada avoided the worst of that, and I believe you played a very strong role in that.
Speaker 3: We did. I mean, thank you. We did. Here's and but we.
Speaker 9: You know, we did because we didn't do things that we didn't understand. So we didn't let our banks do things that they didn't understand, just because all the other banks were doing them, so subprime cdo squared really, you know, fancy derivatives.
Speaker 1: You're saying you didn't let you thought, let's not let the banks dissolve mortgages into particulate matter, mix it into cups, throw it off, throw it in the air, and then sell that.
Speaker 9: Well, throw it in the air, take a big profit, pay themselves a lot of money, yes, and then it hits the ground.
Speaker 1: How did you not have to do that?
Speaker 3: We didn't understand it.
Speaker 1: Job, some of them don't understand it. That's all it took. That's all it took. So you've gone off now and you've worked with Bregsitt in the Bank of England trying to Is that.
Speaker 3: My idea, Briggs, it wasn't. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, you're Canadian. You're very polite, very nice. You're never one of those like I want to leave a union. No, you stay in it until it dies. What what what are they making up there of the overtures and sort of trolling to Canada about being a part of the United States.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, the bottom line is not going to happen. Uh Jews that that I mean?
Speaker 1: Uh? Because you don't want you don't want well, we.
Speaker 9: We're we're proud, we find you very attractive, but we're not we're not moving We're not not moving in with you. It's it's not you, it's us. We have if we do things a little differently in Canada, were we believe and I just walked up before you.
Speaker 1: Go any further, I'm up for it. We're up for it. Whatever you do differently. We want experiment to what do you guys want?
Speaker 3: You you want like, we can be friends.
Speaker 9: There could be a few benefits, John, friends with benefits, but not I'm not going to commit all the way benefits of trade, benefits of you know, defense, right, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: We'll be cool about it. We won't levy tariffs on all your goods as retribution for you not going out with us. We respect your boundaries. Is it is there a fear now that there will be an economic trade war with how much of this do you believe is is bluster? And how much preparation do you need to do for it?
Speaker 3: Well, we have to prepare for it.
Speaker 9: And I think you know you look at what happened five six years ago when we did have a similar situation with the trade war and others being.
Speaker 1: A lumber and well there was only a few lumbers.
Speaker 3: Lumbers very important to us.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 9: Uh, the you know it's it's fool me one. Shame on you, f me twice, Shame on me. Right, why don't we feel what I feel like? You're breaking up with me? The entire interview, This is this, we're resetting the relationship and we're going to be stronger.
Speaker 3: We're going to be stronger going forward, because as you say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm just kidding, swiped left hard as hell. Uh do you think this time? You know, look, I don't know that Americans know that fifty of you know, our fuel comes from Canada.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, the electricity for this, for this show comes from not this show.
Speaker 3: We got some solar up on there.
Speaker 1: We're to ours only comes from Venezuela. We're that leftist, it's that bad.
Speaker 9: Well, that that that you know, that brings a point four and a half million barrels a little more than that of oil come from Canada to the United States. And if you don't take that oil the way your refineries are, your other option is Venezuela.
Speaker 1: No. So okay, So that's it's funny you bring that up, taking them over as well. Are you surprised at you know, is America generally? You know, I think we've always been known as we like to live our values and speak them. It feels like this administration is going to be more explicit about what's really happening. Hey, what's up Greenland. I don't know if you know this, but you have something under your soil that we want, so you're hours. You know, I feel like past administrations would do the same thing, but they would be like, and we're liberating you, like they would make it a high minded affair. Is it easier to deal with someone that is transactional at his core in that way? Take your time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm going to tell you now, I think in the end it's not because in the end, in a relationship, I'm going to keep the relationship.
Speaker 1: My god, if we're going to kill therapy, what is happening? Every time you're like, I hear.
Speaker 3: You, I hear.
Speaker 9: I made a few resolutions this year, John, and it was still in January.
Speaker 3: But you've got to you got to have some shared values.
Speaker 9: You've got to be able to predict how the other is going to behave so it's not just a series of transactions right, Look, we can do a series of transactions. We're fine. We're in a strong position. You want to do a series of deals, you know, Uh, we can do that.
Speaker 3: What's much better is to look at our look at everything we've had, John.
Speaker 1: Together, and we couldn't. You were just about the leading. You're like, look, man, if it's late and you're drunk, you can call us.
Speaker 3: It's cool.
Speaker 1: But I would rather we need something to each other so.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, we get something out of this together, like Sunday afternoon in the park.
Speaker 1: What you're talking about, little bit? And so right now there is is turmoil. Well Trudeau has resigned. Yuh, there will be new elections. When do you know when the new elections are?
Speaker 3: They have to be by October.
Speaker 1: They could come sooner, sooner than October.
Speaker 3: Sooner than October.
Speaker 1: Yes, what would be the trigger of the elections sooner?
Speaker 9: Well, it would be likely the choice of the current governing party, which is a Liberal party.
Speaker 1: And you are of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: I am of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 1: Yes, are they looking for a new leader?
Speaker 3: I think they might be.
Speaker 1: John, sir, may I recommend to you with your charm and debonair wit, yet strong financial backbone, that you offer yourself as have you offered yourself as as leader?
Speaker 3: I just started thinking about it when you throw not yes.
Speaker 2: Just here the Conservatives have h and.
Speaker 1: This will this will blow your mind. So the Conservatives are run by Pierre Pouliet. Did I say that correctly? Yes, it's a fictional JK. Rowling name at best. Pierre pol This is and this always fascinates me. I want to show this. This is so Trudeau. Obviously. The other guy is Pierre Polliev. It looks like and he is Trudeau's rival. Yes, they look like two fictional boys' school rivals in like or like. Poll seems like a villain in a like karate Kid movie. Like there's something very very off putting. What is he like in person?
Speaker 6: Proddie, take your.
Speaker 3: To You're not you're not, You're not far off.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 3: He is, there is. I'll say this.
Speaker 9: There is a type of politician. You have a few of them here in the United States. I think we just stop it. Yeah, they had a lot in and around Brexit.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we have mister paulief in Canada.
Speaker 9: Type of politician who's you know, tend to be lifelong politician, really tend to worship the market. They've never actually worked in the private sector, and they see opportunity and tragedy like you just had with the California fires, these horrible fires, and they see opportunity and tragedy to push an agenda that here's when they prepared earlier and they and they fit it in. And so whether it was Brexit here often you know, the Star of the Beast type approach. So Pierre Pauliev when COVID started, his reaction was, there's a good time to cut spending and cut taxes. Everyone's just been pushed out of a job. Nobody's got worked, so let's cut the taxes on the work they don't have, and let's take away the social safety net when everybody's vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Wow, and how did that work out for me?
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately he was in opposition.
Speaker 1: So oh, that was his idea.
Speaker 3: That was his idea.
Speaker 1: Ah and the people now see the head wins for this more right wing populism though, are all around the world, and it feels like Canada is no different there. I mean, did Trudeau bow out because he knew he wouldn't win? Is this an attempt to give the Liberal party there a chance?
Speaker 3: I think it does give the Liberal Party a chance?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 1: Right, and he did that purposefully.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he came to that. Yeah, he came to that conclusion.
Speaker 1: He came to that conclusion. Or Nancy Pelosi called him and.
Speaker 3: Said, somewhere in the middle, some meatirical.
Speaker 1: Comedy shows up. There did a bit that made fun of him for five minutes, and he fell apart. Who So, who are the top contenders right now that you believe give the Liberal Party the best chance? Poliev is going to be their champion. Yes, yeah, who would give the best opportunity?
Speaker 9: Well, I think in a situation like this, you need change, You need to address the economy. We've got an economic crisis because of what mister Trump is about to do or saying he's about to do. But we also have challenges in housing, cost of living.
Speaker 1: Did you need the same inflationary pressures that we faced here?
Speaker 9: You know, I can debate the absolute level, but we had the same inflationary pressure as well.
Speaker 1: No, we will debate the absolute level.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 9: I think the look Canadian has been very hard pressed in the last few years. Wages have not kept up with inflation. People are you know, people are falling behind, not getting ahead. Housing is very expensive, and there's this broader concern again exclamation point put on by the Trump tariffs, about what the future brings. The world's more divided, it's more dangerous.
Speaker 3: What are we going to do?
Speaker 9: And truth be told, the government has been not as focused on those issues use as it could be. We need to focus on them immediately. That can happen now, and that's what this election is.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something. I feel like I'm looking in a mirror. We just had that election.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Run. When I say run, I mean not for office, I mean run the other way that. It's so hard. It's when when the headwinds are like that, it's really difficult for a candidate to come in who is saddled with the policies that are But let's say, oh boy, let's say.
Speaker 9: Just just just throw it out a while you trying to preserve the relationship. A wild hypothetical. Let's say the candidate wasn't part of the government. Let's say the candidate did have a lot of economic experience.
Speaker 3: Let's say the candidate did deal with prices. Let's say the candidate had a plan to deal with the challenges in the here and now, sneaky.
Speaker 1: You're running as an outsider.
Speaker 3: I am an outsider.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's all. So you're going to be coming in there to say I have not been in the government. I have worked in the financial markets. I understand all the things that go around trade. I mean you worked. Look, let's take the California fires. You've done an awful lot with the banks, with insurance industries. So if you understand very particularly what's happening out there in California.
Speaker 9: Very particularly, I mean ten years ago, Government Bank of England, you oversee the Lloyd's of London, which does all the insurance for exactly this type of stuff. Ten years ago, they're saying there's gonna be a lot more fires, so we're gonna have a lot less insurance, a lot less insurance, as we've seen unfortunately in California and this, I mean it's an absolute strategy with people going through a lot less insurance place like Canada.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 9: You may have noticed here in New York we had a few fires in Canada.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to talk to you about that latter. The fire.
Speaker 9: The fires in Canada, including where I was born, my hometown Fort Smith, Northwest, territories around where I grew up in Alberta.
Speaker 1: These fire one second, really small town, small from Alberta, and they've probably been sleeping the whole time they heard the name is the bus coming out Berta? What are we doing here? But all.
Speaker 3: We got the fires, We got the fires, got the fires.
Speaker 9: John if the fires alone would have made Canada the fourth largest minter in the world after the United States, China and India.
Speaker 3: Just the fire, just the fires alone.
Speaker 9: And this you could see this coming ten years ago as the insurance companies and now we're dealing with this, which is why we need to act more broadly on the issue.
Speaker 1: Through climbing and everything else. Let me ask you a question about this, because this speaks to what these Republican politicians saying. They keep saying, Oh this DEI Lloyd's of LFE insurance companies ten years ago, they make risk assetments and they change policies. Did they change those policies because they assess the risk of lesbians being in the firefighting department? Or did they go climate change is happening and these fires are going to be more damaging, and they're going to happen more frequently, and so we're going to be changing our rates and we're going to be dropping policies. Which one did they go.
Speaker 9: With very decidedly the second and what they have seen is the number of these extreme events that they ensure. Remember, they're pulling back insurance from you know, you can't get insurance in many coastal areas in Florida, you can't get insurance obviously in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: So they've been pulling back.
Speaker 9: And still even with all that sophistication, the number of these extreme weather events that they ensure have gone up three times and the cost of it has gone up five times. So they are furiously backped.
Speaker 1: And this gets us to the rub, which I think is why I feel like we're in such a vice when it comes to climate change and political feasibility and what can we reasonably expect people's virtue to accomplish. You know, you have always you've championed with the banking industry esg UH projects, You've championed climate projects. As soon as these big banks got a hold that Donald Trump was going to be back in office, they all bailed, They all bailed on all these commitments that they made, and you're left in some ways holding the carbon tax bag. Is that going to make your your running more difficult?
Speaker 3: Well, you packed a lot into this, I did. Can I tell you something.
Speaker 1: I read your Wikipedia page.
Speaker 9: The U remind me to edit it later on the UH Two things. One what the banks and it's only the American banks, But what they decided.
Speaker 1: To do, yeah, is to I didn't know there were other banks.
Speaker 9: Because I'm financing. But in terms of for Canada, you know, what we need to do is make sure that we're dressing these issues, doing our bit, making our companies more competitive, because you know what's going to happen in the United States five years from now, You're going to care.
Speaker 3: About it again. Right, You're gonna have an election. You're gonna care about it again.
Speaker 9: We better be in a position where we've done our bit at that point. But we need to do it in a way that Canadians today are not paying the price right now.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? That's the rub. How do you make proactive measures on future disasters feasible in a political moment Today? Every time I've seen a gas tax or a carbon tax floating, it's not politically feasible.
Speaker 9: So the vast majority of our missions in Canada come from our industry. In fact, almost thirty percent of emissions from Canada come from the production and shipment of oil to the United States.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, You're welcome.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So part of it is cleaning that up, getting those emissions down more than changing in a very short period of time the way Canadians live.
Speaker 1: Right, But you're not obviously got to take away our oil.
Speaker 9: We'd like to take well, you you don't apparently want the oil as much as you used to.
Speaker 1: Have you decided to run yet, because a lot of people in the Liberal Party in Canada have said specifically they will not run. I think they fear the headwinds in this election.
Speaker 9: I want to can I say one thing on that I want to defend very because this is a very important point. So if you look at our our foreign minister, mel Ni Jolie, our finance minister Dominic LeBlanc, Steve McKinnon, who's our labor minister, they are not running in part because there's a crisis right now because of the threat of the Trump tariffs.
Speaker 1: So they're they're saying I won't run because I want to focus.
Speaker 9: They've they're there, yeah, country before already in personal ambition and it's absolutely.
Speaker 1: Right, right right, yeah, so but but do you say I don't.
Speaker 3: Have a job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have a job presently.
Speaker 3: I do, but it's you know you and.
Speaker 1: Oh coy with me. I love the chase, I love this cat and mouse.
Speaker 3: Well, we had to shake things up.
Speaker 1: We are, we are having a We've spiced up our relationship tremendously throughout this interview. So congratulations on announcing on this program that you are to be the leader. That's we see her with a handshake, Mark Carney. We're gonna take a quick break and will be right back after this is sure, that's on shop for tonight, but obviously before we go, we're gonna check it with your hooks for the rest of the week, mister Jordan Clopper, Jorda, talk to me, man, What do you got on deck for the rest of the week.
Speaker 12: Well, we'll be talking about the government banning TikTok next week. John and I know we've all had our fun, but now that it's over, might I suggest a little something called books? I think you might find them equally entertaining.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think that. Did you know you have a charger?
Speaker 3: Maybe a charger you don't. I just think if you.
Speaker 1: Call books you don't swipe.
Speaker 3: I just think I've read. I've turned out a book before.
Speaker 12: Okay, I've forgotten how to read.
Speaker 1: All right, Jordan, Thank God for everybody. Now, before we go, I also want to just very quickly say, please, I know there are a lot of organizations buying for support. Please consider supporting the California Fire Foundation. They're on the ground. They're working with local fire agencies and community organizations to provide support for impacted residents. If you can, please donate at URL. But that's who you are on that here.
Speaker 3: It is your moment of zat if I don't see you again. Thank you for allway.
Speaker 1: You could have stopped taking the hard questions years ago, and you didn't, so we appreciate it.
Speaker 3: This is let's say, one last dance, right.
Speaker 8: I don't know how I'm going to fill my dance card now?
Speaker 11: How will I fill that void without you?
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever.
Speaker 6: You get your podcasts.
Speaker 11: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime.
Speaker 10: Amount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount podcasts mm hm,