Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, welcome, I'm back Episode thirty one.
Speaker 3: Ey L thirty one Episode thirty.
Speaker 2: One in the earlier age of podcasts. So today's a special special episode for us for a few different reasons. It's the first episode that we've had two guests. We're breaking new boundaries and we're going to talk about a lot of things that we haven't talked about yet. But before we go into the episode, August twenty second, we are coming to Houston, Texas to do our Meet and Greet networking event. You know, we've we've done in three different cities so far, La, Brooklyn, and Atlanta. So this is the fourth installment of the Network Meet and Greet. And the purpose of the Network Meet and Greed is really for us to interact with our supporters, but more importantly to bring people together. And you know, one of the most important things in business is relationships. So you know, a lot of times you might live in the same city as somebody, you might live in the same neighborhood, but you never really interacted with them on a business level. You never know how somebody can help you, Like that might be your business part it might be your real estate partner, you don't know. So we want to just bring the people out and it's going to be dope.
Speaker 4: And I think there's like a misconception, like people think like we're going to be having a seminar.
Speaker 2: Not a seminar.
Speaker 3: It's for people to meet and greet with each other.
Speaker 4: Because even when we leave that city that we're in, like the relationships that you've developed at that meet and greet will still be there.
Speaker 2: The meet and greet is a vibe within itself. It's a whole vibe. It's not a seminar. It's it's a way, as I said, the interact, but it's it's dope because people come and then they interact with us, and then we bring some of our guests with us. We're definitely gonna bring some guests with us and they talk to them and then they get some advice, and then they network with each other like a episode. It's like a party with productive tendencies, you know what I mean. There's something productive characters. You know, you have a couple of drinks, and it's just a it's a good energy, it's good vibe. So Houston, we need you guys to come out, rs VP. The link is in our bio on our website and it's under the events tab. So we're looking forward to touching the town and and seeing everything that Houston has to offer. For sure, yeah, man, for sure. So forward, all right, So we're gonna we're gonna get right into it. We have a very special episode. Today, we have Lenny Williams and Jeff Desk. So this is interesting because both of these gentlemen work at colleges back in school time.
Speaker 4: Right now is the time where, yeah, college is back in session again. Yeah for sure, the fall semester has begun.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, for sure time, that's a fact. So they both work at Jersey City University. Lenny is a business professor and Jeff is a director of student leadership. Jeff used to be a professor as well. But they're not like your typical professors or like college administrators.
Speaker 3: Like the type of professors. I wish.
Speaker 2: It's a little different. So they put a different swag on it. And you know, they they've did pretty major. They've been all over. They've been featured on CBS, Fox, Boston, Globe, Ebony, Black, Enterprise, Hot onety seven, They've done ten X talk, So you know, they have an interesting outlook on education. They take a different approach on education. We're gonna talk about education and a few other different topics. But first and foremost, thank you guys for joining us.
Speaker 5: Welcome fellas, appreciate it, Thank y'all.
Speaker 6: Man, appreciate y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeahah for sure. So we jump right into it. So you guys are college professors, right, and you know, college is something that is very it's a hot topic, and it's it's something that triggers a lot of emotions in people, especially nowadays. It's like anytime we put a post on Instagram about college, we get a thousand comments and people saying like it's a scam, no waste your money, and other people saying all kinds of stuff. Right, So I'm just gonna jump I'll just jump right into it. Is college still necessary to be successful? Or was it really ever necessary? But in today's society, it is college still necessary, still needed?
Speaker 7: I mean I think that college, I mean it's not needed. It's that means something that you can do, It's something that's possible. I think it should be an option, right. I don't think it should be forced upon that people have to go to college. I know, I will say there's other ways of being successful and going to certain fields that college is not needed as much as it was.
Speaker 3: Five years ago.
Speaker 7: But some things you do need, like if you want to be a lawyer or a doctor, or you're in a stem fields like college can be very productive. But then there's some other majors where honestly you can you can learn on YouTube, or you can learn by reading books, or you can learn by just doing so. I don't think it has to be a necessary thing to go to college, but I do think it should still be an option.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think also one of the biggest things about college are the networks and the relationships that are made.
Speaker 6: So it's very far and.
Speaker 8: Few in between that you get to sit in a room with a doctor, a future lawyer, a future dentist, a future teacher and have conversations that are not about your fields of study.
Speaker 6: And because we all know that.
Speaker 8: Once we get into our you know, our real lives after college, it starts to become a little bit closer in the bubble where you're just dealing with people who are who have similar interests. So college, for that particular space, there's not many other places that create that type of environment, and academically there are some fields that do.
Speaker 6: Still need it.
Speaker 8: But you know, I think that these institutions, a lot of them are just not created for the benefit of the students. I mean, there are a number of colleges and universities that are doing that work, but I think there are a lot that are scamming people, and I think there are a lot that are not doing the work.
Speaker 4: It used to be looked at as a badge into middle class life, but if you had to have that piece of paper, if you wanted to get a good job, get a house, Like that's going away with Like what anyone was just saying is like some things we're just going to learn on the fly.
Speaker 3: Like we say this all the time.
Speaker 4: We have no training in broadcasting, but we're doing a podcast, right, Like we're learning these things as we go. And I think, like, yes, there are options that you can do outside of going to school, but if they're our careers like lawyers and doctors, like you said, then yeah, it's mandatory.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm a college guy.
Speaker 4: Right, Like we had to do it an education, But like I said before, like I feel like we could. I could have done it out of high school had given the proper training rather than seven years of dedication to that career.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I think what college does is we live in a society where image is very important, right, So what college does is that it gives you a badge to say, Okay, I have a certain level of success already built in because I've completed my degree, so now I can at least speak to you on an intelligent level when I can be taken seriously, which not is not always the case, right, because there's plenty of people that graduated from what Kanye s people with Kanye said, people graduate from college will be still stupid, that's all the time every year. And then you got some people who never went to college who are brilliant or never finished college that are brilliant. So my personal opinion on it is that I think that college is beneficial. It can be beneficial from the social standpoint, specifically from a social standpoint and growing as an adult, right because especially if you go away to college, that's probably your first opportunity living on your own, and you mature, you develop a certain relationships, you meet people that part you really can't get just going out of high school. In the real world, you can, but it's a lot more difficult. You're not in an incubator where you're just around a thousand people and you can just develop those type of relationships. It's not easy to do that in just real world life. But I feel that a lot of times people are misguided right when they go to college. So this is my next question. As far as you know, one of the biggest things for college for me is majors. Right, So you guys are on the inside, and I see. I saw that even when I was in school. Anybody that doesn't know I have a communications degree, I don't have a business degree. So but when I went to school, they told me, like, look, just get a degree. It doesn't matter. If you're not trying to be a doctor or a rocket scientists. It doesn't matter. And it honestly didn't because when I graduated, I'm a financial advisable. When I graduated, in order to do what I had to do, I had to pass like three different tests, so I had to study for like nine months. So it doesn't matter if I would have got a business degree or not, I still would have had to study. So it's kind of like I went to college. After I went to college anyway, and now I have my licenses so I can do whatever I want to do. So but I could have had an art degree. I could have had any kind of degree. Right, So how important is it to pick the right major and how do you determine what is the right major?
Speaker 7: So this is for parents and people got in students for college. So before I was a professor, I used to work in a mission. So the most important part when talking to parents or talking to students is when you're choosing a school, especially when it comes to majors. Your major should be a top five major within that school. What I mean by that is top five with enrollment and also they have placement for companies that deal exactly what you're major. And if you're not in those top five areas for your major, what can happen, honestly is you can be two years in at the school and if there's not enough students enrolled in that program, your program is dropped and now you're still at that college. So it's very important as we guide our students comeing to go to college. Yeah that's great, but please make sure whatever field you're trying to go into is one a popular major within the school. Two has the partnerships outside of the school with the different companies. And then last, but not least, is the mentality of knowing where the United States or where your country where you're living at is going to be the next five years as far as the job market and careers and.
Speaker 3: What's going to be in demand.
Speaker 7: Not what I always say, this mentality of not five minutes from now, start taking five years from now right. So when you're making that decision, what does a communications degree look.
Speaker 3: Like five years from now? Right? What does that feel looks like, look like? Is even going to be around photography?
Speaker 7: Is that's something that you really have to go to school for when you can potentially learn that, you know? So that's that's kind of the key when picking your majors is making sure that the school provides the resources but can also place you at the job, but it also is in demand.
Speaker 3: But in the next few years.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree more man Like a lot of times, especially in our community, when our kids think about college, the first thing they think about is the athletics, right, Like I want to go to do or I want.
Speaker 3: To go in North Carolina, I want to go to Yukon right.
Speaker 4: And when you get there, if you're not there on athletics, it's like, well, I want to study communications. Well that's not one of those majors that is one of the best things at that school.
Speaker 3: So like you should be looking past just like yo, I'm alumni and I.
Speaker 4: Go to that school for the sports, right if it means, it doesn't mean as much when you come out of Yukon with a communication de gree.
Speaker 2: I have a communication degree.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: But I want to go back to what you said.
Speaker 4: I don't go back to what you said because you said that it doesn't matter, And in my head, I'm like, yeah, it doesn't matter if you're on an athletic scholarship. If it matters to a guy like me who was like, I'm studying physical therapy and I don't want to be a physical therapist, right and I've paid thirty thousand dollars for four years, It's like this matters a lot, right, Like now what do I do? Do I have to continue going when I don't want to do this, or do I have to figure out what can I do? Like that, I kind of fell into that thing. It was like the school I was at it was great for physical therapy. I couldn't pass the science classes. I'm like, yo, I'm not gonna be a physical therapist. I gotta figure out what I can get. And gratefully, I was able to go to school with a health science degree and I was like, all right, well, what does that even mean you know what I'm saying, So I have to start figuring out.
Speaker 3: Like and what's gonna happen.
Speaker 7: We talk about this all the time, and Jeff in particular use this analogy of you know, and everything else you buy something, you challenge to make sure that the service that they're providing is correct, right. And I feel like people are not challenging some of these schools when they're paying all this money. You know, you're paying and maybe because you're not physically using cash and handing over fifty thousand dollars, you're not seeing the money, so you maybe don't care as much as if you're going to a restaurant, like you know, Jeff always says about you know, if you order steak and they bring out chicken nuggets, are you gonna eat chicken nuggets?
Speaker 3: Or you're gonna say I ordered steak.
Speaker 7: And many times students are paying all this money for a school and then not providing the services that they're promise and they're not challenging the school right or asking questions before. And I don't know, maybe it's because again you're not physically handling that money over and you think, I, oh, I'll just get a job and I paid off later, But I think it should really treat it like everything else you purchase.
Speaker 4: That that's a problem especially in our community, man, like we don't know how to advocate for the things we want. Like I've seen it over and over with parents not being able to advocate for the kids. But then the kids grow up and they don't know how to advocate. So if they all being mistreated a school and the things are not people about it, it's like.
Speaker 2: Who do I ask? How do you challenge the system? Because I mean that's like going up against that system. How do you challenge?
Speaker 5: So I don't want to say, like challenge the system. It's simple things.
Speaker 7: So if there's like a college fair at your school, like every school, typically at high school, they bring in college representatives, you know, instead of asking questions, like students get these questions from guidance counselors and some people. I don't know where they get these questions from, like what's the percentage of student success at your school? Like that's not the question you'ld be asking you, she'd be asking you know, Look, I want to be an engineer. How can you how can this school help me become engineer? How can this school help me become a bio mechanical engineer?
Speaker 3: Like whatever?
Speaker 7: How does how? What are the tools at your school to get me there? But also is this major a popular major at your school? Can I talk to somebody at the institution the career center and find out how many people you placed at a.
Speaker 5: Job in the last three to four years at some point?
Speaker 7: And you know, like those type of questions need to be asked, and unfortunately we don't. We don't provide those resources, them tools enough, And that's why we create a platform that we create. That's part of the things that we deal with to let students know, like you do have a voice number one and number two to ask those type of questions before spending all of this money.
Speaker 2: CF I wanted to ask you a question. We spoke of CAM about the hitting curriculum.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so the idea, so it kind of goes into the aspect that the students don't know who to ask, so that there is that problem I don't know where to go, and the institutions are not doing the job properly. A lot of institutions are not doing the job properly and creating a space for students to under understand things like acronyms that students don't know. So I don't know what FASSA might stand for, and that's talking about financial aid. If you don't know what that means, then you're out of luck. If you don't know what the bursar office means. And these are the things that are just directly dealing with your money.
Speaker 4: Sounds, so you don't know what these things are.
Speaker 8: So I think it's just essential for And this is where I think the big problem is is that there are institutions that are about creating careers for.
Speaker 6: People who want to be educators.
Speaker 8: So they want to go up the ladder and become vice presidents and become deans and become provosts and presidents of institutions without caring about the students. So then they create these platforms and they create these spaces where the students cannot succeed.
Speaker 6: So I'm not I'm not going to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 8: There are academic institutions that are out there primarily just to build careers and primarily just to make money. The proper institutions that are doing the work are the ones that say we are going to make sure that you know who to speak to and with the hidden curriculums that just this means that there are things that are being hidden in regular nomenclature. So it's saying we know what it is, but a seventeen year old does not know what that is, and we expect them to know what it is, then succeed in that space and then excel beyond that, and then by the time they hit to year two or three, we see the retention level drops because the student doesn't know what the term retention even means. So we're saying, we want to keep you here, but are we even doing the work that needs to be done. So ultimately, at the end of the day, that's where we have to start to do more work, is saying what are the students getting and who do they need to speak to?
Speaker 6: So to really touch on the comments that we were just saying.
Speaker 8: One of the things that I can tell all people who are sending any of their students to college or are going back to school themselves, is that you have to really find particular individuals on your campus. I can't stress the I can't stress it enough that you have to get involved, and I means you have to find somebody who's already doing the work, and make sure you align yourself with that. Find the Jeff or the Lenny on your campus and sit in their office introduce yourself, because what ends up happening is I'm the one that's gonna put you in touch with this person, that person, this individual to help you succeed, because doing it by yourself is literally impossible.
Speaker 2: Now we were talking off camera too, and it's difficult because I think my experience is a little jaded because I was I played basketball, so when I went to school, I got I was on athletic scholarship. So if anybody's not familiar athletes, it's different, especially at a Division one school. So when I got to campus, you know, we had our own study hall just for the athletes. We had our own advisor just for the athletes. Our books was free, and you know, they would stay on us, like make sure like what you're doing, like you just going to class, you know what I mean. It's like, so it's easier because it's more structured. But for somebody that's just going to college on their own, and especially if your if you know, your parents didn't go to college, but you don't your first generation, it's a lot that goes into college that's different from high school. Like I remember the vali valedictorian of my school a couple of years ago, that my high school that I went to. He's a lot younger than me, obviously, and I spoke to him. He's in Harvard, and I was asking him, like, how you're doing at Harvard, and he's like, you know, I wasn't prepared. This is the valedictorian of the school. He's a smart kid, obviously, but he's like high school which is just so easy for me, and I'm in Harvard and it's just way different. And he was like, you know, I never realized how much I wasn't prepared until I was in that position. And I think that that happens all the time. And like you say, a lot of times unfortunately, especially you know, you might have family issues, whatever, kids just drop out because you know, you fall behind a couple semesters and let alone, not even talking about financial issues, just social issues and just dealing with school and structuring your time. It's like, how can somebody fully equip themselves for making that jump from high school to college.
Speaker 8: First you sign up with Trill or not Trill, but you know to fully equip yourself. It takes a lot. And this is where we have to really invest. We were just talking about that off camera too, about how much money you place on a college degree, whether you're going there for free or you're paying full tuition. There's no I mean, outside of a house, there's no larger investment that you're really making probably throughout your life. And in the same way that you invest in the house, you're searching for multiple houses.
Speaker 6: But then even before that, you.
Speaker 8: Want to know how is the house, how you know, how is it built, what was What do I have to do to fix this space?
Speaker 6: What do I have to do to.
Speaker 8: Make sure that my family if I want to start a family, goes in here. It can't just be let me just show up, pull up and figure out the rest investment? Right, And so what people have to do is is really start to invest in a child and a student's education before they even get in there and find the programs because colleges and universities some of them will do it, but a lot of them will not. And say, listen, we're going to give you a two day orientation session to figure out how to succeed in college, and you know you and they're trying to holler at other people. You and there trying to have fun, you know, because they're also doing that too.
Speaker 6: There's a DJ at that time, you know, and you're.
Speaker 8: Sitting here thinking like, man, I don't even know what registraw is. And I remember, like as a college student, I was like, is it register? And they're like, no, it's registrar And I'm like, why what does that even mean?
Speaker 3: Right when you're registering for class?
Speaker 6: Correct, when you're registering for class.
Speaker 8: So there are these simple little things that that students aren't prepared for. And so for me, I just think that you have to invest in the same way that you would invest in a house, the same way that you wouldn't buy a car without making every possible detail before it.
Speaker 6: You have to do the same.
Speaker 7: And I think the key is invest past financials because a lot of people always talk about college and investing and it's only the financial piece when we're saying about the investment, saying due to research as well and understand where college is going, what colleges are doing a different degrees, because it can be really beneficial for you.
Speaker 2: And it's also very important. I think what Jeff said as far as to find people on campus that know the deal and because that's that helped me out a lot. As far as like when I first got there, I had somebody shout out to my mansion. Well, he's from the Bronx and he was a junior when I was a freshman. He was on the team and he was seasoned. He was there for two years. So he kind of explained to me, like, take this class right, don't do this and have this many credits, and like this professor is cool, and he kind of walked me through it and from there I was able to have a small transition. But I think it's important to have that mentor. I don't know if schools.
Speaker 7: Have program they do and then the other thing before even talked about what you want. The mentors just don't get too caught up on titles as well. Right, looking for somebody with a leadership title to be a mentor. There's just people on campus that literally run the campus but don't have any fancy title.
Speaker 3: There could be a person that works.
Speaker 8: In a book store, right everybody, and they've been there for twenty years, so they know exactly what books to get, they know exactly where to go, there's.
Speaker 6: The person who's cleaning up the student union building.
Speaker 8: They're know, hey, listen, you know you need to join this club, or hey, you know you need to talk to Jeff, because Jeff knows who everybody is. And so that's where, you know, we always talk about the difference of what a mentor means. So we tell people, number one, you need a digital mentor. And the digital mentor is somebody that is online, that has an online presence at that institution or otherwise that you know, you can just watch what they're doing. And that might just mean I'm watching somebody's Instagram feed or Twitter feed and saying, all right, you know what I need to just know because this person is providing a wealth of information. There's a generational mentor, So that means you also need to know somebody who is from a different generation than you are, younger and older, who have different mindsets and different viewpoints that you can say, all right, this is the generational mentor that's older than I am, that's going to be providing me the.
Speaker 6: Traditional sense of leadership.
Speaker 8: But then here's this person that's also maybe a little bit younger than I am that I can give them information and then they give me back some information.
Speaker 7: And then like your boy that you said at your school, be what we call a peer mentor right right, somebody that's in that same age range, same age bracket doing this, you know, the same things that you're doing, and that's a fellow peer of yours that can really help you out.
Speaker 2: I'm boring, yeah for sure. All right. So now we're going to go into the next seven. We're gonna talk about the financials, and we're also going to talk about chill and natural so yeah, yes, I love that part. All right. So now we're going to talk about the number one thing when it comes to school is how to pay for it? Right, money, money.
Speaker 4: As we said, man, it's the it's the biggest financial decision that they're going to make. And they have, especially high school sudents, they got about three years and that's you're making that decision at eighteen. Like a lot of people won't get approved to get a loan for a house, they probably won't. They may not get approved to get a loan for a card, but they will get approved.
Speaker 2: Student loan is real and something like I said once again, I was fortunate not to have to a loan because I had a scholarship, but I have brothers and sister and they both have to I think they're both still paying on it. I'm still playing myself. They're both older than me. But student loans is real. Financial ladi is definitely real. All that is real.
Speaker 3: So you can't escape it. No, no, no filing for bankrupcy on doing a loan.
Speaker 2: Oh they're gonna want their money, thank you, so so, But like, what's what's what's some hacks that parents because a lot of parents listen to our podcasts and you know, might have children in college or children getting ready to go to college. What's some hacks that that and even children or young adults can use to minimize the cost of college.
Speaker 7: One of the big hacks for high school students is taking college courses while you're in high school. Now, some high schools and some districts provide that, and they're called like articulation agreements, another fancy words, another fancy higher edward, but their call articulation or dual agreements or partnerships where a lot of community colleges now and some four year schools are trying to build upon their enrollment. So what they're doing is they're allowing high school students to start taking classes at a lower rate or for free.
Speaker 3: So that's something to.
Speaker 7: We look at in your in your area, your region, your district, especially within the community colleges, your kids can take some of those level one hundred courses at a lower rate.
Speaker 3: How do you how do you get going on campus to do that? You can go on campus, so you can call.
Speaker 7: What you can do is you can call most colleges have what they call like a pre college program, pre summer program, summer academies, and look inside of some of those programs, those summer camps and maybe don't send your kid to maybe a sports camp in the town. You send them to a business academy camp at like let's say at Pace University, and then they can potentially get credits for class while they're at that camp. So that's the way to kind of look at it. I would look at your local community colleges first, give them a call. A lot of them do allow high school students to take classes on Saturdays and at night, so that's something that you can you can definitely look out for, and you can go in as what they call another fancy college where like a non matriculated student's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good word.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 8: I think another thing too is to just be honest about going to community colleges.
Speaker 6: So community colleges.
Speaker 8: Are way less expensive than they are than for your institutions are. And so if your student is not fully prepared because they just don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, at eighteen, you just may not know.
Speaker 8: And at eighteen, thought I was going to be a high school basketball coach, teaching English classes in my old high school, and that's what I thought I was going to do. And I went into college thinking that that was the plan. And I realized that I didn't want to do that at all about two years into the game, and so I had I don't know if community college was particularly for me, but I'm paying. I paid for those two years, and I paid a lot of money for those two years. And for some people who are just not quite sure if they want to go to college or if this institution is go to a two year and bang out two years of college that are going to be a lot less expensive, and then succeed at those two years and then you can get into whatever school you want.
Speaker 6: I mean, Harvard is giving.
Speaker 8: Away full scholarships to students who excel at a community college, as are so many other excellent institutions, So you know, I think that's one that's another way to minimize some of the costs. And another thing I wanted to add is alumni offices are a secret hidden money giving a space you're It's called advancement at most universities, but your alumni offices are always collecting money from donors who are saying, we want to give money to a black male student from upstate New York who enjoys watching soccer, and they literally will say, that's the only way we're going to give five thousand dollars to this program. Or we're going to give five thousand dollars to a student who's involved in the Haitian Students Club, and that's the only way we're going to give five thousand dollars. I donate to my school, and I give money only to the Black Student Union that helps shape my career. So we have money that we give to you have to be involved in that club. But students don't know because they don't always announce those scholarships. They're just there on the website that nobody knows. So I tell students once a month going to that office and say are you offering any scholarships and they will be there.
Speaker 7: And then for those people, I mean, we both did it. We both donated and created our own scholarships. I created one out of community college, created one out of high school. And for those people that are watching that don't know how to give back money, you can call the foundations and advancement and alumni offices at these colleges and do a two hundred and fifty dollars scholarship or a five hundred dollars scholarship to help students as well. Another misconception is that you have to finish a community college in order to transfer.
Speaker 5: That's not true. Every school is different.
Speaker 7: So for example, in New Jersey where I live, there's two things that I want to kind of put out there.
Speaker 3: There's two things in New Jersey.
Speaker 7: Let's say you have twelve credits in the two point zero you can transfer into most four year state schools in New Jersey. Excise me two point five into most state schools in New Jersey. New Jersey also has another program, and most states do have programs like this called NJ Stars where a student maybe didn't do particularly well in their SATs, but they're in the top twenty percent of the top ten percent of their class. And if you're in the top ten percent of your class, you go to college for free, community college. Then when you go to community college, if you get your associate's degree and you have a three point two GPA, you can get another scholarship to go finish your back degree out of four year college and that'll be it in J Stars two. So in J Stars one is community college, you can transfer out and then you go into in J Stars two. So these are type of programs that they have in a lot of I just know that particular because I'm from New Jersey, but they have these type of programs within the states. So don't get too caught up saying, well, I'm top twenty percent of the class, I want to go to this big school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you might be.
Speaker 7: Your top twenty percent might be different from another high school, so you might not get as much money as far as scholarships, So take advantage of the scholarships that you do have, maybe at that community college, and then go on and then potentially transfer and get scholarships as well.
Speaker 5: So it's just transferred scholarships to as you're.
Speaker 4: Talking, I'm listening because we do this this project with the kids who are going into college. Like even saying associate's degree, they like have no idea. So that's traditionally fifty six credits, right, and then obviously a bachelor is when you finish traditionally one hundred and twenty credits of school.
Speaker 3: That might take for four or five years, hopefully because it's going to close you bright and you don't.
Speaker 7: But and on top of that, you know, after a certain amount of credits, after I think one hundred and sixty, I want to say, you run out of financial aid. Yeah, it's important, continue to go to school. They'll let you go to school, they don't care. But your financial weight can you can exhaust your financial weight?
Speaker 3: That's important.
Speaker 4: And I was going to say, like, in addition to that, like a lot, there's a misconception with community college, like you said, like after those two years you transfer to a four year school, Like when you graduate and you go into your career, nobody's looking at like, yo, what junior you transfer from community college? And then New York State has now like in the past two years they started the Excelsi your program. So State School is also a good thing. Right, if it's a.
Speaker 3: Least, it's less than if you went to a private school.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So, if you go to state school and you live in New York and you know your parents make under a certain amount of money, you can have I think room and board for free, and tuition's blower not well, So that's another option. If community college is like, it's not something you want to do, go to your local state school if you live in New York, and then I think the only recommend the requirement is that you have to work in the state four years after you or however long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of schools are doing.
Speaker 7: You know, if your parents make seventy thousand hours, your household income is seventy thousand and knowledge you go to school for free. That's something that's happened in New Jersey where all the community colleges will be free start in September. These are again, these are the type of programs that you should know. But most importantly, you just brought up a really good point. Public understand what a public college is and a private college. Right, nine times out of ten, a private college costs more than a public college. And it doesn't mean that and it goes back what I said. It doesn't mean that they're a better school. It's literally because they're privately funded, so it's a little it's a little bit different when it comes to how much they charge for tuition. So it's very important to know what a public college is and a private and a private and know the difference.
Speaker 3: That's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I actually did a podcast before and somebody asked me that question, and I was saying that nobody kids like, especially if you plan on getting a degree outside of the other first degree. So like you if you know you're going to get a four year degree and you go into a two year school, or if you know you're going to get a master's degree, right, they only care about the last degree that you have, truth and that school that you went to. So like Barack Obama is a perfect example. He went to his first school that he went to for two years is like some no name school in California. Then he went to Columbia and then he went to Harvard after that. Right, when you hear the stories, it's only that he went to Harvard Law and he graduated from Columbia. They never say the first school that he went to. It doesn't matter. But you save a lot of money, you prepare yourself, and you grow. So a lot of times I'm not the best person to give this speech because I went to the University of Hawaii. But you might have to humble yourself and stay home right and learn, learn the ropes, and you know, stay at home for a couple of years and then go out on your own. Or you know, you might just sacrifice for four years, stay at home, save money, go to your local school in your area, your state school. It'll you might not get the same joy as you know going out on your own and you know, going to a crazy destination, but the grand scheme of things, it might make a lot of sense the term.
Speaker 3: That's my story in itself.
Speaker 4: Right, I stayed home, I went to school locally, right, But what I did during that time was I was able to get experience. Whereas somebody who comes out of school and is looking for experience, I already have four years on you.
Speaker 3: So sometimes when.
Speaker 4: You go to a career or job, it's like, yeah, you have this, but do you have the experience? Like I'm doing that as I'm going to school and obviously I don't have to pay for room and board or anything like that.
Speaker 3: So it helped in that way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and also look at another point by experience. Also look at the career centers within the college. I know, in my junior year, my job, my internship was also kind of as credits, so it could be considered like a co op program. So your class can actually eliminate I mean, your job can actually eliminate you taking a certain class because the work that you're doing, the experience that you're doing is learning learn, learning experience. And then they'll give you a professor to kind of you know, follow you along and then you write a paper about it in a semester. And not only did you get paid to work, but you also got credits which saved you money as well.
Speaker 2: So, Jeff, if you have an interesting story about J Cole.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you know, this is the thing about college. So this kind of goes into this conversation about how to find money and how to be more successful in it. So I went to Saint John's University and I went to school with J. Cole, and you know, I was president of our Black student union which was called Harayah, and at that time we were the largest organization. They had a massive budget, over one hundred thousand dollars. And what we were able to do was I became president of that. And becoming president of that, they gave me a five thousand dollars stipend. So right there, I got an extra five K that I didn't have for doing some student work on top of the stipend. With that budget, I was able to also bring in a bunch of different speakers. I mean Cornell, Wes, Maya, Angelou, all these people that I wanted to meet, we had the money to bring them in. Now, the j colepiece is is leveraging the networking opportunity. So if you're going to go to a college, I don't care what school it is, I want you to go in there and make sure you meet as many different people as you possibly can get yourself into every room. And so when I think about Cole, one of the things that you know, I remember Jermaine was just wrapping in the random open mic or wrapping in the residence hall in the dorms, and then that flipped into him getting involved. He eventually became president of our Black student union. And then when that happened, he always had a crowd. There was always five hundred people that were guaranteed that were going to buy the mixtape, that we're going to come out to the show, that we're going to support him at the open mic, that we're going to go out to this and me, I see it all the time as we do speaking gigs that I still perform poetry. Half of my audience are people from Saint John's from my undergraduate career. So I tell people make sure that once you get in, get yourself involved, get yourself entrenched in the university, because that's how you get them to start paying you back.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing. School's really expensive.
Speaker 8: But I'm going to find out how do I become a resident assistant. And a resident assistant is when you're in charge of a residence floor and you're in charge of a dorm floor, they pay for your housing that I did not pay for housing for three years of my college career. And when you get into those spaces, I was an orientation leader, which were the people who introduced the people when they came to college. I got paid for that. So that's where you find the money. You leverage the money by the network work, by the capital of the individuals as well as the capital that the that the school has.
Speaker 2: You said something interesting, you said that Jay Cole, being the president of the Black student Union, he was in a unique position because he booked concerts. So then that opened up for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was. It was fascinating.
Speaker 8: I mean I remember, you know when I was wrapping back in the day, that was the same thing. I'm like, I put on my little resume. Yeah, I opened up for Kanye, I opened up for quality, I opened up for comment And he did the same thing every time we had a major artist. He was one of the performers that opened up for it. And then that just again creates more leverage, creates more opportunities. You get practiced. And he didn't pay a dime. He didn't pay anything. You use the studio that's on campus, use every possible resource that they have, because they're they're.
Speaker 6: They're taking the money from you.
Speaker 8: They're never gonna they're never gonna say, hey, you know what, it's okay.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member fdic.
Speaker 3: Erners What's Up?
Speaker 4: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inverty, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, It's about giving you time back so you can focus.
Speaker 3: On what matters most Ready.
Speaker 4: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates so you can reach the people want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring indeed is all you need, don't.
Speaker 6: Have to pay today. So I'm gonna say listen, I want They're never gonna say that, right.
Speaker 8: I want the studio, I want the gym, I want I'm taking everything.
Speaker 6: That this school could possibly give me.
Speaker 2: And he was like a straight a student someone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he was a good student from what I heard.
Speaker 8: I mean I was in in the classes with him, right, but he was I mean, And that's the thing is that I can't stress. And I'll say this over and over again. You have to succeed in that space. So do everything you possibly can to leverage every opportunity that they have.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting because you know that's that's culture, hip hop culture and music. And one of the things that you guys do is that you blend culture with education. And you have a company called Trill and not Trill, right, So that's an interesting name. Trill and not trial put off the Texas, put off the Texas a right, but a trill and not Trill For people that might not be familiar, what do is trill mean?
Speaker 6: So for us.
Speaker 8: I mean, like you said, you know, we got it from from listening to you GK. And the idea of trill in essence is true and real coming together right, So can you be truthful? Can you be honest? But can you keep it authentic? And for us, that's what we do. We're educators who are making sure that we keep it real every single time that we speak to somebody, and we're authentically us also at the same time.
Speaker 6: And Trill or Not Trill started out as a blog we threw.
Speaker 8: I used to throw a hashtag on my Facebook pages back in the day saying is this trill or is this not trill? Then I said, if I wrote a blog, would y'all read my blog? And you know how people do, Yeah.
Speaker 6: We're gonna read it.
Speaker 5: Read it right, I got you.
Speaker 6: That's it. So the blog picked up.
Speaker 8: And what happened was I hit up Lenny randomly because we were meeting about something else, and I said, yo, I got this blog and is starting to cook a little bit.
Speaker 6: Do you want to you want to maybe write about it?
Speaker 8: And Lenny, with the business background, said, you know, I think this could be larger than a blog, and I think that we might be able to turn this into a business model and a business idea to transform education. And we put all of our minds together and we said, this is what we are. We are going to be the change agents of education. So we are the individuals who are going to take this thing called higher education, flip it on its head, keep it real with everybody that's that's listening, a president of a school, to the to the lunch person, to the student. Every individual when they see us walk into the room, they're going to understand what trill or not trill really means. And we are a leadership institute that trains professionals that train students to make sure that everybody understands what it means to be culturally responsive. That's the term that that's another term, right, but we're gonna put in the dictionary, right, so, culturally responsive, which ultimately means that we're taking care of the needs of the students. We are interested in what they're watching, what they're listening to, what they're reading, what they're involved in, and that is included in every aspect of the education.
Speaker 7: The needs of Now you know, we're not using the same thing from last semester. Every semester is different. Every generation is different. There's the Millennials, the Generation Z. So we able to you know, continue to be current and make sure that we're reaching every student dope.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's important too, because you know, a lot of times we have these narratives of what a professional looks like, right right, Like, so I taught a financial literacy class.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: I've been teaching financial literacy Troy. Troy has a program every summer for six weeks for kids like sophomores and freshmen, and I teach a financial literacy classes part of his program. I went doing it for like six years. And I come in just off the street, like I'm dressed that day. That's how I come in. Some days I'm dressing the suit. Some days I have flip flops and shorts on. So one day particularly, I have flip flops and shorts on. And somebody that came in to observe it, they were a little disturbed and they they he told Troy like, you know, I don't think that's that's a professional manner to like, what are we teaching the kids? And Troy's like, what what does that mean? He's like, well, he's not he's dressed like, you know, he's off the street, and Troy's like, well, that's one of the benefits of his professional dues. He does whatever he wants to do, right, So, and this is the thing that we really have to get out the mindset up to say, like, Okay, you have to look like this? Why who said that? You know? There's no rules to that, like, and that's one of the good things I love about tech. They break all rules like Steve jobs wor whatever he wants, Mark Zuckerber, whatever they want exactly. It doesn't matter, like you know what I mean as far as obviously you know there's certain environments where you have to dress accordingly. It's just common sense. You don't go to a wedding with a sweat, right, Well, he came with a batman. But for the most part, it's like now we you know, this is this is what we are, right, So we were a hat backwards. We might wear Jordan's, we might wear Didas, but that doesn't devalue the information that we're we're giving.
Speaker 4: Right, And that's the thing I was like, judge him on his character, Like what he's wearing is not important.
Speaker 3: What is delivering is important. I had a gentleman tell me right.
Speaker 4: I was doing a parent orientation and I had some AM MAX on and he was like, you're really going to do a presentation for parents in AMX and I said yeah, and he was like, well, this isn't really professional. I said yeah, I'm changing the narrative of what professional is. And he was like, what do you mean. I said, yeah, the guy wearing M max is now hiring your daughter to be in this program. Right, that's a professional, you know what I'm saying, Like, we're changing this narrative, right, So like I don't judge him on the character.
Speaker 3: Right, what we're delivering more important than what we have on you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Well, that's why that's why schools get left. And I always talk about it every time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: I remember my dad used to say, listen, if y'all aren't downstairs by eight fifteen for the ride, I'm leaving, right, And that was the test that said I I'm never going to get left again, and I don't ever want to be left. And that's what's happening to these institutions. And that's why it's important for people like all of us that are sitting at this table to be in the educator space because you know, we have a new book that's coming out quick plug in the fall.
Speaker 2: Call.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean. We wear kicks to work, and.
Speaker 8: That means that's just sowing y'all that we can pull up to any institution at any space.
Speaker 3: Y'all see their feet right now. But listen, they came here today.
Speaker 6: You want to see I'm here.
Speaker 2: Go to class like this too. It's important though it really isn't. And it's like because I used to see my college professors come dressed having it when they wear boat shoes and ye, but it's like from a different culture, so it's never quite yep. But when we wear what we feel comfortable in our culture, now, it's like, what's going on here? No, it's what it is.
Speaker 7: We're gonna be honest with us. It changed the game, you know, us wearing kicks with our suits. You know, students were legit out of college with two weeks ago and these two black kids was walking out and two African American students walking out chilling on campus and they literally stopped us.
Speaker 5: It was like, yo, y'all, y'are fresh man.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know what y'all hear from y'all, y'all basketball, what ch'are doing here?
Speaker 7: And it's funny, those same kids ended up in our presentation right, and they volunteered and they came up to us after they emailed us, and it was like, listen, we would love to just build with you guys and learn from you, and we can learn from them too, So you know, I really believe. Yeah, you know, probably at first people like we're sneakers the work. I'm sure people said it behind the scenes, but when you are really doing the work, and especially in the college campus and students are reacting to you the way they are, you can't deny it.
Speaker 3: You can't deny it. So it's been truly success.
Speaker 7: It's been a successful thing for us to wear these kicks because it puts us in spaces in conversations that typically maybe been a little awkward at first, or the students like it was awkward, but now it's it's you on them kicks a fly. Then it's like, oh, so how's that business course going? Oh it's not going to come come see me, or how's your financialad going? You know, come come see me. I'll make sure we'll get that fixed.
Speaker 4: I'd say, it's all the time, like you, that's the unwritten language, right. A kid when he sees those sneakers automatically he relates to you. A lot of times in education, they don't have people that they can see that it relates. I can wear Jordan's and I don't have to say anything to a kid for my culture. He knows that, like, oh, he wears the same things as me, so like I already have connected by him. Right, So it's now it's like whatever I said going forward, he's going to listen because he's like, yo, he looks like me, and he's dressed.
Speaker 3: Like wait, he listens to the same music. Right, We're good.
Speaker 7: It's like what we always say, you know, putting the medicine in the apple sauce. Right, honestly, it's it's also just it is not just wearing sneakers too. I don't want people to think like, oh, no, I'm gonna pull up in some off. Don't don't do that. It's about culture in general. Like you know, people complain about, oh, generations Z does this, Generations Z does that. Instead of saying, you know what, how can I immerse myself and get myself so involved with that that now I can add that to the curriculum so we all understand each other a lot better. But then also lead the traditional stuff that's in there that's important, so they don't have to be sneakers. It can be movies, it can be music, it can be anything that you enjoy. I fight, people gotta an education. They gotta disconnect from the things that they enjoy just to help people pass the test or pass a class. Now we got to add thats and actresses.
Speaker 6: Man, that's the thing.
Speaker 8: You know that kid kid just won three million dollars for playing Fortnite, right, And instead of saying, man, I can't believe a kid won three million dollars for Fortnite, you need to start thinking, how do I include Fortnite in my curriculum? What conversations do I need to be having as an educator, or as a financial literacy person, or as an I cannot as an economist, or as a graphic designer, or as a storyteller that says, look at this, look what happened here. Now let's show how we can you know, spand upon this idea. But you know, when people are you know, so small minded, what happens is, man, I can't believe you want three million dollars.
Speaker 6: Man, my kid's gonna start playing Fortnite too. That's just not do to health.
Speaker 3: Without his brain breaking news, spending more time and crazy.
Speaker 2: Did you say that? Because even my son, like he was telling me like he wanted to be a YouTuber and I'm like, let's do it. And then like peoples like that's not something real. I'm like, I will tell the kid that made twenty two million dollars year, right, that's what's real money is actually, So it's like, oh, yeah, well, you know what is this doing. It's doing the same thing everybody else is doing.
Speaker 8: And when that kid with that YouTuber when he turns sixteen, am I going to be the one that says, hey, you should go to college and study marketing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, now, I think he's figured it out.
Speaker 6: He should be he should be teaching the class, right.
Speaker 2: All right, So in the next segment, we're going to talk about public speaking, and then we're going to talk about some other things as far as get yourself off the ground falls business is concerned, all right. So we're going to talk about public speaking. That's something that's very big. But before we do that, I want to talk about something that's in the news, and that is a new I guess you can call it a scandal for us for lack of a better word, And so forty wealthy families in Illinois they got caught or they found out that they were they were doing this thing where they gave up guardianship of their kids like when they turned sixteen, like eleven and twelfth grade, and in return for doing that, now on paper, the kid looks like their homeless's like they're poor, right, and then they get a boatload of financial aid, but the parents are like filthy rich. So a lot of some people were on Instagram. It was actually interesting because some people were saying like I knew, no, no, no. Some people were saying like that's messed up, that's bad, but more people were saying like, oh, they just they just gaming the system, like I wish, I wish I knew that I'm gonna do that, Like you know, I'm not mad at them for doing that. So how does that work? Because I used to work in the missions, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I'm I'm working at missions. Of course, I'm not an expert when it comes to financially. But I know enough when it comes to finding out loopholes such as that as I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Call it a loophole where parents.
Speaker 7: I even seen read an article the dad somebody parents are getting divorces right legally separating so it looks like they have one parent in the house, which is crazy. I'm not telling you to do that, but that's somebody back there like, yeah, but.
Speaker 6: We're not about to break up this.
Speaker 3: Let's got a kid going.
Speaker 7: They're gonna be a doctor. It's gonna benefit. But anyway, so you know pretty much what people do is you can also say your child is paying rent. Your child depends on how you classify yourself or how you do your taxes is the most important part when it comes to faster So you can do do different loopholes as far as you know, being a person that lives in the house and you pay rent. The same thing that happened in Illinois. I'm not saying is good or bad. I'm just saying that it is possible, and that stuff is true and people have done it for years. What's tricky is that every university is different when it comes to financial rules. So what may happen is you'll get this thing called verification and you have to give it a bunch of documents and improve. These type of issues are hardships, as they would say, there's also a hardship form. So even on the other side for people that are struggling, maybe you don't have faster because your parents were literally together, or you was living with your parents, or your parents passed away, or what your financial situation changed. For example, my mom had lost her job when my sister was in school. What you can do is before she had her job, taxes showed that she made enough money.
Speaker 5: When she lost her job, of course she didn't have as much money.
Speaker 7: You can go to financial Weight and ask for a hardship form, right, and you can fill out and explain and find it's up to financialate to make that decision and find you money. So again I'm o here to police it and say it's good or bad. But that stuff is true.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I remember I got financially it was like twelve dollars.
Speaker 3: Twelve dollars I went through more people. What were going to do with this? I couldn't buy a pack of pencils. You know what I'm saying, Like create hours, that's true middle.
Speaker 2: Class get screwed when it comes to that stuff because they make too much, but they don't really make enough realistically, because even in New York, you make one hundred thousand dollars, that's not that's not real money.
Speaker 5: Like you know what I mean, who's a fifty five thousand a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're struggling, like one hundred thousand. You struggling.
Speaker 3: I told you, I mean I used to.
Speaker 4: I tell the kids every time, like every day, like, I'm not sure there's not a middle class because whatever somebody from the local sales economic status has, it will be subsidized so that we're on the same playing field, right, So like a kid that their parents don't make as much, like they're gonna get a full scholarship as I'm going to get told I was financial aid, right, So we're gonna be in the same boat. Matter of fact, you might be in a better position if you take advantage of this.
Speaker 2: I think that's an interesting conversation because I had this conversation with somebody who my friend, he's a doctor and he lives in and he looked in Wall Street at the time, and we was talking about like what's middle class for New York City for Manhattan. All right, I asked, everybody, wish your number New York City, Manhattan, und middle class, middle class.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say two hundred, two fifty, two.
Speaker 3: Fifty, I said.
Speaker 2: I said as a couple, I said three fifty as a couple, a couple, and I said to fifty. As an individual, you make anything less than two fifty, and mad you struggling, struggling, struggling. But so the thing about it is like, so when you thought out your financial aid form, they're doing it the same as somebody in Idaho two fifty in Idaho. You you even in Atlanta, you make two fifty in Atlanta, you you get a dope house like you can like you know, you're living good. So it's like, it's really it needs to be changed because you can't judge that as the sole reason to give somebody money, right, It's like, you know, two fifty. It may look like it's a lot of money on paper, but in all reality, you can be completely struggling and be dead broke.
Speaker 4: You're not financially you're making two fifty. No, not forget the twelve house, you get zero. Don't even follow now on the flip side.
Speaker 7: I will say if you do get if you get free or reduce lunch at your school, you should be taking advantage of finding out all the grants that are out there, pell grant, TAG grant and other grants and programs at these And every institution is different, so don't go by what you see as like a blanket answer or just one answer, one generic answer.
Speaker 3: Every school is different.
Speaker 7: You should rely reach out not only to the admissions office, but to that financial aid office and find out you know, hey, my child, as you know, free of reduce lunch. Sometimes schools offer scholarships to the high school and also even more important college board. If you have free or reduce lunch, you get to take the SAT and the ACT for free twice.
Speaker 3: That's key.
Speaker 7: So if you go to guidance, they have to give you that form to fill out or the paper whatever it is, but they give it.
Speaker 3: To you and you can go to school.
Speaker 7: I mean you can take the SAT twice and the ACT twice for free.
Speaker 4: Now, so you said two key words that those are those terms grants and scholarships.
Speaker 3: That's money you do not have to pay back.
Speaker 4: Like people need to know that you do not have to pay that money back that it's granted to you, and sometimes it's for the duration of the time you're live, or sometimes it might just be for one year or the semester.
Speaker 3: So like I always look for so many of.
Speaker 6: Them, so many out there, so you know that's that's key.
Speaker 7: And also let me tell you another trick that school's doing and I want people to know since we on this financial piece, is don't compare scholarship amountain numbers to a particular school because every tuition is different. So for example, the school I work at, New Jersey City University, let's just say I'm just still a number out to make it easy. Let's say it's twenty thousand hours a year to go to the school for four years, so it's.
Speaker 3: Eighty thousand hours.
Speaker 5: Let's say you get a full scholarship.
Speaker 7: That's eighty thousand hours as an award right over the over the four years. Another school MutS say, competing school Seaton Hall is forty thousand hours a year, right, so forty times for us is one hundred and sixty right, so one hundred and sixty thousand. The school Seaton Hall might say we're gonna give you a scholarship for ninety five thousand dollars, right, and just she was giving a scholarship for eighty thousand hours. People will go to Seaton Hall because the scholarship is more, but you still owe sixty five thousand dollars. So don't get confused by people get confused by that all the time. They go, well, your school is giving me twenty thousand, but that oder school is giving me forty. And I'm like, listen, that school is three times as much as our school here. So be very mindful when you see those award letters that say that the student is receiving this amount of money, make sure adds up or subtracts well with the tuition.
Speaker 4: Now when they receive that money, right, and this happened to a gentleman, I know, like the money is made out to the student right now that check?
Speaker 3: How does that work? Do they have to Does money directly go to the school?
Speaker 5: Mostly directly goes so it depends.
Speaker 7: When it's a college merit based scholarship at the college, it goes directly to the school. But let's say you get a local scholarship or a state scholarship. So for example, my last two years of college, I did not have to pay tuition because I had the internship and I got free tuition. Now in addition that I was still applying to other scholarships. I had like over ten different local scholarships. I literally took the check, went to bursar and it gave me a refund check. So I was getting paid technically to go to college, right, I had. I had that much excess fund that I was typically getting paid to go to college. So if it's a national merit base or merior base through the school whenever things like that, it's usually paid directly to the tuition. But you can you can also receive other scholarships where it's just a check they give to you and then it's written out to the Burstar office and the burst has to give you a refund.
Speaker 2: Got it all right? That's that's the good information. Can we talk about public speaking because that's something that is very big right now and a lot of people want to get into the public speaking, spake, motivational speakers, all kinds of different speakers. But that's something that you guys do. So yeah, can you talk about that?
Speaker 6: We can? So I have a very we both do.
Speaker 3: We both I know exactly where you're going.
Speaker 8: I have a special feeling about public speakers because you know, I always go back to this Tupac quote from Hit Him up.
Speaker 6: At the end where goes on his rent.
Speaker 8: He says, you know, when I first started out, I told you all this was just about Biggie and then everybody had to open their mouths with the mother f an opinion. And when he said that, it just really articulates the world that we live in today, where everyone has.
Speaker 6: Everyone you know what I'm saying, Everyone has an opinion. Now, there's nothing wrong with having your opinion. I support it.
Speaker 8: Talk good talk, but we have so many platforms for people who are not doing the work. And that's the problem that I have with public speaking. So we're gonna I'm here to help. I'm here to have this conversation. But it's it's an important precursor to say. Just because you have some quotes on your Instagram page and you are retweeting Gary Vee or Eric Thomas, right, you know, and that's what happens is that people will watch your podcast. Right, They'll be watching your pod, watching your podcast, listening to your podcast, gather information, and then that person will then say, I'm a financial literacy expert, it's like, well you're not. And then they'll and then they want to be public speakers and say, well I should be speaking on financial literacy, and I say, what's your credit? Well, you know, I've been telling you about this, and I'm like, where'd you get your your information from?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, one of my my main resources is earn your leisure. Then why don't I just go get early? You know? So with public speaking, that's the first thing.
Speaker 8: You know, if you're one of those people, God blessed, I'm you know, I don't support it. But if you're an individual that's really going to be providing content, see these individuals who need it, because there are young people and and and older people who need the help and you have to be able to to support that. So in our in our space, I think one of the first things is to recognize what is it that you are providing to the know, to the audience. If you can't say, here are five things that I'm going learning outcomes, right here are my learning outcomes exactly that you're gonna walk away from, then you are not ready to be a public speaker quite yet.
Speaker 6: So that's number one.
Speaker 8: Number two is your audience so I'm not a financial expert, so I'm not going So when somebody says, hey, Jeff, can you come talk to us about leadership and financial literacy, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 5: No, don't be a jack of all trades.
Speaker 6: Don't do that.
Speaker 8: So make sure that you're very specific in the content that you're delivering. That's what actually separates you from everyone else. Sure there are a bunch of leadership speakers, Sure there are a bunch of people talking about financial literacy. Sure there's a bunch of people talking about mental health. That's fine. Your job is to figure out how do I separate myself from that particular core group. And you're not going to be able to do that if you're talking about seven different things at the same time. So those are some of the quick tips about public speaking, and you also have to do.
Speaker 6: It over and over and over and over again.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of us who thought that, you know, just because we're funny in the group chat doesn't mean that we can be stand up comedians. And you learn that quick when you're a public speaker. My first ever gig was at NYT and they said, we need you for an hour and thirty minutes and I said, I've been, you know, leading workshops in my class, and I've been talking to my people's I pulled up at NYT and at thirty minutes into this speech, I was done.
Speaker 6: I'm keep it rolling.
Speaker 8: And you find yourself in there thinking like, man, all right, maybe I could just spit a quick sixteen Maybe I can just draw on the board.
Speaker 3: We're going to take a fifteen break.
Speaker 8: So you have to really have that content because you got to be able to do that. And so I remember that saying I just wasn't prepared, but you got to do that. You got to take that first l to say, all right, this is what I can do, dude, to get better.
Speaker 6: This is what I have to learn.
Speaker 8: How to stand, how my posture works, how my speaking intonations go.
Speaker 6: All of those things are are really important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think also learn the power of leverage.
Speaker 7: So a lot of people going to public speaking or want to speak at colleges, for example, and they're charging this crazy amount with no background. Right, So being willing to say I'm going to do it for free just to be at certain locations or get things on your resume is very important as a public speaker. But I also want to even say, there's so many public speakers, and I'm happy to see that it's grown. But I also want people. I've been thinking about a lot of just I don't want people to be doers, man to do more. I need more people in the classroom, right. You know, if you look around the country, nationally is under five percent is black faculty members tenure track black faculty members maybe less than five And it's even you know, I'm in meetings and Jeffson meetings and we're usually only black person in the room, you know, And you want to look at not just speaking, but finding ways to change legislation, create programs, create platforms like this in addition to you just being a public speaker, because our students already are being oppressed in certain institutions and are already being taken advantage of. And the last thing we need is for somebody to come in and say, get excited and leave or another panel.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, you know, you know I have a very hard line on some of these things that enough is enough.
Speaker 6: We got to start doing some work.
Speaker 8: And I don't know how many times I've been to Hey, the seven most effective people to learn about leadership in your community while you're wearing natural hair.
Speaker 6: And also I don't need that. I don't need all these panels, and.
Speaker 3: It turns to like passive shade.
Speaker 8: And people, I'm the best person at this, and then everyone walks out the room with no content. And there are these young people that need our help. And there's a lot of us who are at working at NBC's that are working at pfizers that are working at large banks and intitutions, are entrepreneurs that need to say, as we go in there and perfect our speaking, can we help these students and build for the future. So you know, those are such essential pieces to the process. And getting paid as a speaker, you're you think that there's a quick way to just go in there and get these checks, and it's just not And you know, you might have all this clout, but that cloud is not going to get.
Speaker 6: You to return if you can't do anything when you get there.
Speaker 2: But but what is all right? Fair enough? You should have good purpose and you should be educated. Assuming you are, now, what's the steps to actually got cool?
Speaker 6: So I had to get that off.
Speaker 5: Hale lot.
Speaker 7: But I think one of the I always tell the story I started posted on my Instagram out the day I started out in the boys and girls club. Right, it was a boys and girls club. My friend of mine is Ron Brangman. Shout out to him, told me and never forget. He was like, I know you want to become, you know, a speaker, you want to get involved. Said I'm gonna give you two things. I'm gonna give you this space, but I'm also going to tell you that boy's not gonna like you. Right, just just know that, like you're not gonna go in every room and every audience is going to love you. So this is the space here, have fun, do what you want to do, and then you know, five years later, you know, Jeff and I are going to like Iowa State, Kentucky, Ucla. But I was humble enough to start in like a boys and girls club where twenty people was in the room and fifteen. Honestly, will key with my family, right, it's pulled up because they didn't want to see me fail. So you know that's that's the most important, is having that humbleness, but also having an expertise. Right, So we said earlier, don't be a jack of all trades. Right, So if you worked in HR and that's your experience. And then you also have a little motivation behind you be able to provide that that nowledge you got from being an HR rep or that now what you got from being a financial advisor, and that with the inspiration, now people are gonna want you more because you're providing them with things and question. You're providing them with a service or a product that they can actually use, like a tangible thing. So be a tangible speaker more than a public speaker. That's all I want to say, Like have tangible items in addition to that, but also be willing to say, yeah, I'm going to go speak for free. And the second piece, the third piece, is having content. So we started as bloggers and we blocked to a niche market, Like we knew people that deal with students at colleges. Their office is usually under student affairs, so we knew that there was a student affairs group and there's region conferences and programs, So we made sure that we implemented our blogs within that audience group so they know who we are. So when we had the blog, we already knew in the back of our hands we wanted to be speakers. So we had the programs ready with the learning outcomes and objectives, and that's how we started getting more involved in the school. So when you are expert, you do become you do get a niche market and it helps you get paid more and you understand your pricing and things like that.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the names of the blogs. I thought they were brilliant. We talked about it.
Speaker 5: Also.
Speaker 7: Some of the blogs that we created in the beginning were like Beyonce Beyonce and Social Change Model, Kevin Durant and Retention.
Speaker 3: I know you don't want to justin Bieber.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what we did what Drake can teach you about conflict management and we also did Nicki Minaj and non verbal communication and so you know, you add all those things and just give some other quick tips about public speaking is so content, So video content is key. So people need to know that you're actually speaking. So people would rather see you speak than here you speak or a photo. So get the content, and you know, whether you're using an iPhone or a camera, just make sure that you're getting content of you speaking about whatever it is that you're speaking about.
Speaker 6: And that's how you can leverage it.
Speaker 8: So sometimes you can go to a school or an institution and say listen, I'll do it for free, but can you allow me to get video content. Number two is whatever you speak, make sure you get a mailing list, so you want people to always know that you're speaking as many times as possible and let them know, hey, this is what I'm doing, so people will always remember. So that mailing list is really key and one of the big leverages that's going to allow you to move into different spaces. Another key thing is recognizing in your field or area of expertise, where are the conferences that are hosting content on your area. So for us, it might be student Affairs and there's NASPA, and there's a ACPA, and there's NAKA and there's all these specific conferences that have all their specific acronyms, and you want to just be able to know which one fits. And there's literally conferences for everything. So you want to know when are the deadlines to present to submit a workshop, because that's really how we got I got in. I submitted a workshop to a conference five times and got rejected five times. Then I just paid my way to go to the conference as an attendee, went to the conference, and then met and shook hands with every single person possible, every speaker, every host, and said how do I get myself into I was friends with the person who was the MC. The MC introduced me to the person who ran the conference, and then they said, let's see your stuff. I didn't have any content, so then I had to go get content, make content, then show them my stuff. Then they liked it, and then they say, hey, listen, we'll get you as an MC first, right, and then I did the MC and embodied it, showed up and then killed it and they said, do you want.
Speaker 6: To do a workshop?
Speaker 2: Did that?
Speaker 8: After I did a couple of workshops, I said, can I do a keynote? They said, let's test you out, testing me out. Nailed the keynote, got the keynote speech right fast forward. Lenny and I Triller not Trill. We run the conference like literally in a five year span. I started out as somebody who's getting rejected to now we curate the entire conference and bring in speakers. It's called NCSL. It's the National Conference on Student Leadership. It's in Orlando this November for all student leaders. So we bring there's about five hundred students from all over the country that show up and that's how it started, you know, so you got to just do it over and over it.
Speaker 7: And then I want to add two more tips to that. Another one is one is for social media. Don't get caught up on how many followers you have, get caught up again on the niche. Make sure your niche market is following you. So we don't have a large I mean, we have a decent amount of followers, but we have a bunch of decisions makers at college campuses that can bring us in or help us run a conference. And then the last piece is writing books, right, so we talked about that earlier. I know we talked about that off camera. Is when you write a book, if they can't pay you, they'll also buy your book instead, or a bookstore can actually pay for your book. And then you can also come in through the bookstore at a college campus.
Speaker 2: So let me actual you to Let's say they email you and they want you. You know, they say, okay, we want you to come in. Somebody at a student at a student union organization says we want to bring you in. What do you say, Like, do you say, okay, I want to come, but this is my rate to come.
Speaker 7: So the first thing you do, first thing we do, we send you a pre program survey. And I'm be honest, we didn't do this in the beginning, and that's when it got a little tricky. But on the pre program survey it says budget, what is your budget period? So then we now because we have a team now, before it was just Jeff and Notch was a little different. Now we can kind of figure out how can we based on that budget, what can we really provide for you? And it's effective for our side as well as your side. So honestly, just being able to ask the budget. You know, I'm I'm I'm married to an artist, right, and I remember when I first used to send out the form and she was like, dude, you're not asking about the butt.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't step foot out the house without knowing what the budget is.
Speaker 3: Going to be.
Speaker 7: So do you know, just ereck any other field, just ask them and be transparent. And then I always say, whatever their budget is, there's probably it's probably a little bit higher than that, right, So then you start to you start to ask for other other little things.
Speaker 2: Within that information. All right, Okay, well, thank you guys for coming on. We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, this is great.
Speaker 2: Can you tell the people how to contact you? Your handles, your your your website, all information.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So personal handle is at professor dot wims. You can find Traill and out trail anywhere. Just put at troll and our trail and our website is Trail natril dot com.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I'm at mister Jeff Desk m R j E F F D E S S on all platforms and then again at trial or natrill. We've got a lot of really cool content coming out this fall, a lot of new team members, a lot of new works.
Speaker 3: So yeah, man.
Speaker 7: And if you also work for a company and you know we always talk about doing this work and you have the connections or you know, you can help students get jobs and internships. We know some amazing students across the country. Feel free to reach out to us and will help you. Even come in and speak to our students as well.
Speaker 3: Two hundred schools right at the.
Speaker 6: Two hundred, I mean we're at I think that maybe.
Speaker 7: More now we're closer to two hundred in US. Virgin Allan's in Canada.
Speaker 4: Troy, Yeah, man, So we're just gonna call out Patreon dot com. That's how Proud to pay program and it's been going amazing. I gotta give a huge shout out to Danida. Dania's from Houston and we had a call and she was super excited about us coming. She wants to lay out of itenterary for us. So shout out to Danida and everybody in Houston. And I want to give another one to Amaya, who actually hit us up on Instagram when she saw a post about our program. Since we're talking about doing things and we had an hour conversation just about what she can do in Daytona and some of the things she's doing.
Speaker 3: She put me on the game. Shout out to her.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Patreon dot com Backslasher and Realisia. We have five different tiers. Feel free to join any tear. Our merch is out on elisia dot com.
Speaker 3: Our website is that a construction under construction, under constructions just being.
Speaker 4: Really it's still up, so feel free to buy the merch and support that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man, yeah, Patreon is is a community first and foremost, and it's a it's a way to interact with me and Troy and a lot of time people want like you know, mentorship or they want to have like real so you can actually have like FaceTime conversations with us. And it also allows you early access to the podcast. More importantly, like I said, it's really a community. We really established strong relationships with our patreons and so that's the way to a financially support the podcast, but also build relationships with me and Troy and just be part of the early leisure community for sure. And the merch I got merch on Ustle for your last name. We're gonna be rolling out some new merch Eyo universities on its way and.
Speaker 4: That means that the alumni now welcome to the alumnu.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Houston won. One last thing is Houston, Texas. We are coming on the twenty second, so don't think it to o rs VP and yeah, we'll see you guys soon.
Speaker 1: Pa Peace, you just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data. Sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your higher right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash po d kat z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash po d kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need