Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hi. I'm Sienna Jacob and I'm Leana Holston and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the Very slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary Edition, and are now watching movies of our own and listeners choosing.
Speaker 2: This podcast is a safe recording studio for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching music and lyrics.
Speaker 1: I'm just here to cater to the plant, and you are doing a fine job, if I may say so, Although that one is plastic. Huh oh, it's a waste of time. Warning there will be spoilers about this rab calm old film. This is a rom calm.
Speaker 2: There is ram and there is calm. Uh did you Jesus.
Speaker 1: What it had to be? Because I had never heard of this.
Speaker 2: Twas I twas I who said to the house ablaze, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess this is a good time for our predictions. Oh my god, I would love that. I would just love that. I guess we'll start with mine because I knew the film. Those those that who they who know it first goes first.
Speaker 2: Yes, if it is to be said, so it be, so it is?
Speaker 1: Okay, ready, yeah, good morning, Sienna, Good morning. I'm about to watch music and lyrics. I predict there will be music and if you can believe it, also lyrics. Okay, I've seen this before. I think it's really cute t be completely h so. I hope it's a good time and doesn't make me want to eat myself into oblivion due to romantic oh flaps love you by. I hope this was so far from reality in every way that it didn't feel that way. Yes, yes, true, as a true rom com should completely completely removed from reality. Sianna. Could I hear your prediction please? Yes, I'm just remembering it now. And well, Hi Leanna, Sienna. Here, I'm about to watch music and lyrics. A movie I have never heard of, but somebody mentioned might be a rom com. So perhaps it will be about a musician finding love. Maybe one of them is a songwriter, one of them is the composer. Maybe someone's trying to kime a pop star. Maybe it's sort of an opera situation. I would love that. I would love that. Well, we haven't had that many opera movies, not since Citizen Kane. Hot take, Citizen Kane is an opera movie. Yeah, okay, I'm gonna go watch the movie now, I love you goodbye.
Speaker 2: That's not a hot take. That's true. If we did have that opera movie with the Three Guys to.
Speaker 1: Morrow, oh my gosh, a Night at the Opera.
Speaker 2: I almost said the Brother's grim. Oh that's what it was called.
Speaker 1: I forgot there was a movie about the opera called A Night at the Opera. Well, I guess I got it right. Some one person writes the lyrics. Oh yeah, yes, yeah, yeah, Well Leanna, before we get into the movie, Hey girl, hey girl, as you you know how you've been afflicted all summer long by bug bites? Yes, well something you sent him my way or you must have. Are you still getting bit yes? Oh okay, Well then others have a redin here across the pond, because I have five bug bites on one hand. What the heck? Okay do you wear bugs? One on my left ear and none anywhere else? Did you spray like your legs?
Speaker 2: Because I'm saying they just were nowhere and I don't know where they came from.
Speaker 1: This is not.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this how you felt. It's just like I don't know what I've done or where I went to cause this. I'm a little bit like because I was in nature for a few days.
Speaker 1: Sure, so a part of me is like, is it lime disease? But I don't know. I don't think so. I think you would probably not if you did, you know, kind of of.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm very deeply alone in my life, so it's only me checking.
Speaker 1: But so far, the Royal we.
Speaker 2: Have not found any. You're mainly at your neck, you know. And I don't think I'm so scared of them. I don't think they're around. I had a tick once when I was a child. Now ever since, I'm very afraid of the nape of my neck.
Speaker 1: That is so scary. Yes, that's terrifying.
Speaker 2: The nape is dark and full of horror. The nape to wear, the nape, Beware the nape. Hey girl, Hey girl, gosh, what to report? A couple funny things I think you'd enjoy. I did another show the other night, the same show that I did.
Speaker 1: I was so so stressed all day. It was just one of those days where it was like it hit like three pm. And we realized how much that had to be done. You know, you're all day you're like, okay, okay, I have an event tonight. It's all good, and then yeah, it hits that afternoon time and you're like, oh my god. So I was very we still, we gave it our all and people people really responded to it well, and I was very happy. I'm just I'm happy that this show is enjoyed by the people and touching to people. But I got a couple a couple of comments after that. It was like as if people were trying to comfort me about my performance and contributions, even though I truly wasn't being self deprecating, like yeah, I'm no longer sort of like, oh that sucked so much. Afterward, I'm like, oh yeah, I'm glad you enjoyed. But people were treating me as if I was being very self deprecating, like, for example, this one guy, So it's technically a puppet show, even though it's basically like a sketch comedy show with some big paper mache flair. Okay, but this guy came who was like one of my friends dates, and I think he just he wasn't he wasn't used to the art form very understandably. But so afterward we were kind of standing there and he was trying to I believe what happened was that he was trying to connect and he was like, okay, this weird puppet person, what should I ask? So he was like, yeah, so who makes the puppets? And I was like, oh, yeah, we all sort of do, we all pitch in. We all, you know, like one of my friends made all these ones, the ones that you probably remember in this scene. It's very beautiful. He made this and this person made this, and he goes, okay, so and what did you make? And I go oh, And I started thinking and I cannot think of anything. First of all, I don't make very many puppets. I'm more of a performer, writer director. But I did make the I made like the Shadow puppets for this one. But I completely forgot, and so I was like, yep. Again. I wasn't self deprecating. I wasn't like, oh my god. I was just like, oh, you know what, I can't think of it right now. And he looked at me with so much pity, like because for him, in his defense, I can understand He's like, this is a puppet show. All I can imagine is that the point is you're supposed to make puppets because this thing was so weird that these people must be like following their dreams and building things they love, because why else would you make this thing? And so he was like oh, and I was like uh, and he kept like waiting for me to say stuff, even though the answer of me being like, I kind of helped on stuff, but I was mostly a performer in this should have been fine, like I was in a lot of scenes, but he wasn't impressed. And so I was like, uh uh, you know what I did the hair, I helped on the fairy puppet that came down on a zipline. It was like I helped on zipline. Again, It's like I helped on this fairy puppet. And he goes, oh, yeah, that was a significant moment. I was like, who told you I needed comforting? Ah? I told you to treat me this way. Wow, it was so funny. I was like, what vibe was I giving off during the show that made you feel that you need to like find something for me to feel okay about? Oh God, it was so funny.
Speaker 2: People who don't know what to say after a show often end up saying the worst possible thing. After a stand up gig, my friend brought a friend of theirs who was visiting. After the gig, which went fine. My friend's friend, the only thing that he said to me was, how do you feel?
Speaker 1: I hate that? I I hate it, so I'm still mad about it. I'm still like, no, unacceptable, unacceptable thing to say. I get that that's your go to. If you don't have anything nice to say, all you have to say is good job. That's all you have. It you don't I don't need anyone's two cents. No, how do you feel? Ah, it's the pity, it's the like, Yeah, I can't believe it's so much pity. Also, can I just say to everybody I did a good job. I still don't feel bad about my performance? Yeah? Why is everyone treating me this way? What's going on? SI enough? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Could you please give us a synopsis of the film music and lyrics.
Speaker 1: I will do just that music and lyrics. He's quippy, she's quirky. He's a washed up composer from the eighties who could never get his head around lyrics, and she's a goofy wordsmith who mutters beautiful things to herself while spraying plants. He is hired to write a song for a culturally appropriative sex symbol current it girl pop star, and boy does he need help putting words to his tunes. Most of the film is him trying to convince her to work with him, and her saying I'm not a songwriter, until eventually she agrees to slowly craft a hit with him, line by line over the course of four days, they fall in love. By the way, he's Hugh Grant and she's Drew Barrymore. The ends yay, oh my god, Sienna, what did you think of this movie? This was such a rom com. It it started out and I was like, Okay, this is really fun. I loved how it started with the music video. It was super fun. It was super cute. It felt like it was written in one day, Like it was so just the archet, such an archetypal archetypical archetypal rom com. I could not believe, like all his little quips. I was like, well, so, anyway, I quite enjoyed it. But a lot of the reason I enjoyed it was because it was so dumb. I couldn't believe it. Yes, yeah, but oh yeah, fun seeing these two actors together. Fun. And loved watching Hugh Grant do a little dance. I loved that at the beginning. Love when he does a little dance, so funny.
Speaker 2: We're so lucky that Hugh Grant is down to do a little day.
Speaker 1: We are That's exactly how I feel. When he doesn't, I go, We're so lucky.
Speaker 2: He does it in love. Actually he does it all the time in this he does it in Paddington too. Hugh Grant will do a little day.
Speaker 1: He knows, he knows, he has the the moves. Leanna, how did you feel about it this time? I so.
Speaker 2: I first saw this movie when I was a kid and we rented it from Blockbusters.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Hello Hello.
Speaker 2: Throw back, and watched it as a family and we're all.
Speaker 1: Like, oh cute. That was so fun. Yeah, that's really cute that that was such a fun film.
Speaker 2: So I remember it very fondly because of that. I don't think i'd seen it since then, but I think we as a family maybe quoted it often or something, because I've remembered so many lines from it. Watching it again today, they are so funny. I think everything you said is correct. I also, looking back at my notes, I pretty much only wrote down quotes from the film. I didn't really have other thoughts, okay, And I think that's the purpose of a movie like this Smooth Brain. Just giggle and then it's over and it's so comforting. Yeah, it's very a comfort watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bet it's also the reason I now live in the UK. I bet it could be traced back to this being one of the founding like this Monty Python. There's a lot of like just Hugh Grant being British and yeah, little asides.
Speaker 1: He is the king of that. I think that's very he really knows his brand formative. All I wanna do is find on ad break for three minutes. We'll be right back. Rianna. Your first note, I don't remember this quote, but I love it. Sure you said, I don't think anymore. I just exist so true you said.
Speaker 2: Nobody even said this out loud. It was there was some like newspaper, ad or billboard or something for Cora and it was an interview with her. Oh, I think it was her on the cover of a magazine and the pull quote was I don't think anymore.
Speaker 1: I just exist. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: What was your experience like seeing Cora, the character that is the embodiment of appropriation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in some ways, I kind of I kind of how do I put this? In some ways, I kind of like what they did there in terms of, hey, that is such I mean, I guess this was in New York, right, Yeah, but it was such a Hollywood accurate to Hollywood, Like this is the way that stars are weird. Is it's not just them being like like I think stars are often like shown as being like really like needy and bougie and whatever, but like, truly, people here are so weirdly spiritual, Like that's what makes them weird. When people become celebrities for some reason, they start buying a lot of crystals, No offense to people who like crystals, but like it's just it's weird to it's weird to see or like you'll hear from their assistant that they really wanted like yeah, that they like need to study their Buddhism for however long, Like they just get really into that here. Yeah, so she felt like that. I feel like that was an accurate embodiment of celebrity. I also just kind of liked her. I know, she's really like a really fun like she's a really sweet character. I like that the end too, She's like, I want you all to fall in love. Yeah, So as far as it goes, I really wasn't doing that much eye roll, even though, like the one thing that I was critical of was that they were like implying that she is the entire reason that they'd want her to be that sexualized. I'm like, it's definitely the team and the brand. Who's really for that in those kinds, like you just kind of like when you're a female pop star, you literally have to do that. It's the industry. Yeah, So that was the one part where I was like, don't say it's all women wanting to do this, right, Yeah, this is part of the industry. Like she's a true businesswoman, so she knows what it is. But I did. I like that she just wanted to dance, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shakira is breathing down my neck, so I want to dance.
Speaker 1: And even though it was crazy what they did, like so appropriate and like that was the point. That was the point. But even later when they had this huge Buddhist tattoo on the stage and even watching the people in the audience watch that neutrallly, I was like, this is so crazy. Yeah, but at the same time, they really built her an aesthetic that was unique. I was like, they really thought about this character, and for that it is funny. But oh my god, this is so wrong, Like this is so messed up. It's so it's so two thousand and seven. Because they know that, they're like, ye, they're starting to get it, they're starting to go this is crazy. But also no character goes this is wrong. At one point they said something about that she ruined two music musical culture, and I was like, yes, yes, follow that tread, follow that, pull that thread, that thread, let's go for it, let's go down that road. But yeah, middle further Cora was pretty funny. Leanna, you said something very important, an important part of this movie. And we're a little gonna get into a specific fan niche which, as you said, oh no, it's mister Shoe Glee fans in our audience gleeks. And by the way, I want to know, go ahead and message us if you are. I just love to know the overlap of our listenership and any gleeks out there. Well, mister shoe, mister Matthew Morrison. Oh, anybody who jump scare when you see him? I do. And I don't really know why. No one knows why. But he's an upsetting figure. And again we don't know why. Science we know why.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's like a monster, Like I don't think he's a bad He also doesn't have.
Speaker 1: Like a super weird face. That's like, I just don't trust that. I just like he just there's something.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's one of those like handsome but uncanny valley. Yeah, I don't know what it is, Sienna. You noted a woman said to him plants make women feel comfortable? Yeah, do you feel that way?
Speaker 1: It was weird that someone He was like, yeah, I have plants now because I had a lady friend over once and yeah, she said that plants make women feel comfortable. And you're like, no, she did not say that I walk into a hookups house that I go, you know, plants make women feel comfortable? Like, that's so creepy.
Speaker 2: What would they I would say that if you walked into a hookups house, what's the item that you'd see that would make you comfortable?
Speaker 1: That is a great question. What makes you feel comfortable in I mean, to be honest, anybody's home that I felt uncomfortable, And it's when it's like like just gross Bachelor Town, USA. Like, first of all, if it smells really weird, I feel fat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, A good odor is comforting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably just things being a little bit stylish and cozy. I go, okay, you're one of us. This is a safe space. This is a safe space, like a curtains for me.
Speaker 2: For me, it's a sectional couch. Oh yeah, if they own a sectional couch specifically, huh.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, totally. I loved that opening music music. I thought you might. Yeah, it's so funny. It's really really funny. And also that song is good.
Speaker 2: It's a banger, Goes goes.
Speaker 1: Huh. Yeah. Most of your notes are just my asking a questions. She's being so weird.
Speaker 2: At one point you said, does this song suck? Okay, set the song they're writing we.
Speaker 1: Have to talk about, because this is where this movie's really cute. But where it was like, guys, this is too dumb was when their writing process is insane. Now, if this is what being a writer is, then maybe I am a writer, which is over the course of a week, they write like three lines and they think way too hard about it instead of just like writing stuff down and then editing it and being like, no, let's do this, and they're like, let's think of another line, maybe something about your heart. No, that doesn't feel right. I have to go. That's like you guys have another date of Like, this is not how it works. I also loved how much they loved her lyrics. Her lyrics were so stupid. I did like what they ended up creating, but just like they'd be like, I can't think of anything. Oh god, I don't even know. Like one time I tried rhyming you and me with autopsy and she was like, what about love autopsy? And they're like, oh my god, she's amazing at this. It all felt like, you know that meme of Demi Levado and uh in Camp Rock, where she goes she's really good good. That's how everybody was reacting to her. She's really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so I know you wrote irl update. I ate too much. Spawn Just now I thought you misspelled spinach. What the hell is sponge?
Speaker 1: Sponge is I think of it? It's usually like in like the Mexican treats. It's by Marinella. That makes I think mostly like it's like it's like Hostess cakes, but they're usually Mexican ones. But apparently we were debating it last night. Everybody's wants to fight me over sponge, but I don't want to fight anymore. Absolutely spyers like ire. That's I think what it is. Its awful, but that and I've had it in Mexico and then also now in La when there's like lots of like Mexican treats around that's because I can't find it in Seattle. Like I love sponge. Oh it's just like a little like Hostess. It's it's like snowballs or something like it. It's like a little shortbread cookie with marshmallow with coconut on it and then just like a little bit of jam in the middle. It's like, you know, just like a snack cake. It's a snack cake. Yeah yeah, but it's sponge. It's sponge and I love it. And I got a jumbo pack when I was I saw one at the store and they never come in jumbo packs, and I was like, oh my gosh, and I got them and I had one pack left last night, and I was trying to get my roommates to try it, and they were all roasting me about it, and so I sort of in protest eight five in a row, and I was so full of like sugar, red dye, puffy, yeah, fake marshmallow. It was so good. But so by the end of the film, I was like, oh man, it was one of those nights where I really wanted a little treat and I was trying to fill the void for so long with things that were almost quite right. Yeah. Yeah, an Spaune. Just a little update for everybody in the listeners. Please let me know if you like Spounge. I think this is one of those moments where you know, you have moments where you look and everybody around you disagrees, and you go, this is a way in which I am different than mankind. And one way in which I am different, and then I think my family is different. Is that I saw the box that said Sponge. I went, I'll be buying that. That looks fantastic. I'm interested where I'm finding. Almost every one of my peers goes, mm mmm. That sounds like some sort of science situation that you're not supposed to put in your body and I go, yeah, that's not a memo.
Speaker 2: I forgot the letters in that order. Never had an impact on you.
Speaker 1: Only positive wow, Sponge, Sponge, and you were fine with that. I feel great about it. Sponge's the end of you wrote. I feel like if I had this dress it might change my lege. That dress, the red dress. I loved the cut of the dress. And I'm just like, I'm at a point in life right now where I'm like, will I ever look beautiful again? Like, oh my god, will there ever be a reasonable no?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like I feel like I'm just working all the time in these stupid ways, and which is stupid because my life also has no sort of employment stability, so I could be doing the leisure thing. But I feel like I'm always just like sweating and paint clothes, and I just like, I I wonder if I'll ever be like and I've gone to weddings now and I'm like, I kind of looked okay for them, but like that was the one thing I'll like dress up for. Hmm, Well, I ever, I get that I truly look gorgeous and glamorous and well beautiful.
Speaker 2: You know again, it's really hard. We're in an era where we have to like bully our friends into a dress code so that we can look beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like because otherwise there's no reason.
Speaker 1: High school makes you think that there's gonna be a lot more formal occasions than that really are. And I think that we've gotten away from having a lot of formal occasions, which I think is in some ways cool, Like it's nice that we get to dress more casually at work and like that people are all together more comfortable. I was thinking the other day, like is it the pandemic that made us all just kind of go, I need to be more comfortable more of the time. I do like that, like a lot of comfort clothing is in But like, when would I ever wear that dress? If I were to wear that dress, everyone in my life would go, what the hell, We've never seen you look like this? And when I was growing up, I feel like I thought that I would be like in dresses more, or I did wear dresses more because a that was the style maybe like two thousand and seven for example, and then also just you have more occasions to sort of wear a little dress, where now I'm like I never do that, and when I do, I feel almost it feels strange to walk out and beware. Yeah, because everyone's like people he stuff, people have comments, Yeah, yeah, they say the wrong stuff, like men after a performance. Yeah, they just don't react right anyway. I guess that's so genuinely how I feel. Uh huh.
Speaker 2: You wrote, oh, and then we'll get to your earlier question, because I do want to discuss that. But you wrote tragic to learn I grew up to be one of the people in the white morph suits. Do you mean like assisting at an event?
Speaker 1: At the party, there's all these glamorous and interesting people, and then there's the people who were hired to perform, and they're on the stairs in these white morph suits. And when I was growing up, I would have gone, who the hell are those? But like, that's what I'm doing a lot in la Is. We're like hired to wear weird masks at parties what not. Always like yeah, I've been I didn't know this. We're like, I just I feel like that's the kind of gig I would be hired for. You are the white morph suit? Like of all the things I can relate to the most at this point in my life and not incredibly disappointing, like my life is. I'm very grateful for my life right now. Sure, many interesting things, but also like many things that are interest now that I'm like, actually, I'm an adult now. I'm looking around the I'm like, who do I relate to in this room? And it is the white morph suit entertainers who no one speaks to and they're getting paid to be there. That would be what I'm doing. Oh well.
Speaker 2: The person that I related most to in this movie was the manager in the scene where he's driving the car and she's like, Alex, wait, can you come with Now's like, yeah, sure, and the manager just goes, I can't come.
Speaker 1: That made me laugh so much. Yay, that was one of those moments of like, that was one of the funniest things I've seen in a movie. I can't come.
Speaker 2: I was like, Yes, that's that's where I'm at so often. Thanks, I can't make it.
Speaker 1: I'm super busy, I can't be there with my stuff. I can't come.
Speaker 2: And then yes, Sienna asked, have you ever sat on a waterbed? Him having a waterbed is one of.
Speaker 1: The funniest ye that they don't even acknowledge it's not commented on. It's just so funny. Someone will sit down and.
Speaker 2: Be like, yeah, I think I sat on a waterbed once. And it was in like the first grade because my friend's mom owned a waterbed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All of us were like, oh my god, that's so cool. But my friend was so stressed that it was gonna leak. She kept being like, guys, I think I feel a leak. We have to get out, and it sucked.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that her parents were like, do not play with the waterbed. I guess have you sat on a waterbed? I don't think I have. If we were talking about one, we're talking about what they were four, because I wonder if they're actually comfortable, Like I feel like lying on your side wouldn't be comfortable. I don't know would actually be comfortable. I think there's enough water that it would be because does it feel like your float? Is that the idea?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because we weren't allowed to lie down.
Speaker 1: You want to know. I do want to anybody own a waterbed. I haven't seen a waterbed in but god, I want to lie on. Also, I feel like it's often associated yeah with like ooh sexy, but doesn't it feel like it would be a difficult thing to be sort of hosting.
Speaker 2: Thought that during this movie. I mean, it makes sense that they bang under the piano instead of.
Speaker 1: You can't get like try to sit up like you'd be like flopping around. Yeah, yeah, and leverage stay in too fluid. I really had an episode of a podcast and then pop went in and we'll be right back. What were you about to do? Whatever you just did? But worse, Leonna, Shall we move on to badges and trages? Yes, this is where it gives.
Speaker 2: Back to everyone, to badges and trages. Where we award badges for battles of the eighties has beens and trages for tight tight pants.
Speaker 1: Ha aw aw, you go ahead.
Speaker 2: I have badges for so many of the lines that made me giggle and I just rally through them. I love when they were doing pros and cons and the pro was, no matter what you do, in forty years, we'll both be dead.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love when her sister's trying to get a photo with him, and he and her sister and his manager are he and her and his manager are all just talking instead of having the photo taken. Her sister gets so fed up and she says, someone could have sculpted us in this time.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: I love thee and where he like winces a bit while he's walking and she's like are you okay and he's like, yeah, it's just my pop hip. When Cora says, I want to show you the roof it's upstairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved core.
Speaker 2: And then the last one and this I have thought about since I first saw the movie and I think about it all the time. With him saying and although she thought the dahalay Lama was incredibly a llama.
Speaker 1: She's actually quite the romantic. I was quoting that to myself last time. Is absolutely how you speak. It's incredibly a lama a llama.
Speaker 2: I think that's it. I think the intonation. There's something about the way that you totally no, you're a little quippy. You're quippy, and as thank you you're quippy, I'm quirky.
Speaker 1: I think I just wanted you to say that you're incredibly quippy. Of course. Oh when people ask why you're in London, I'm like, hey, she loves it. She loves nature. It's totally her. But also she just speaks like a British person she's supposed to be there. Her comedy is British.
Speaker 2: When people here ask me, they're like, but isn't American comedy very different from British? Like why are you doing stand up over here? I haven't been able to explain it, and thank you that is I'll just say that, Yeah, I talk British.
Speaker 1: I don't. Yeah, you do. You have the they're they're like they do. They have a certain way of Alama, they're they're they're comedy. We all know it. That's why we all are obsessed with it. Mama, you got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks mama.
Speaker 1: My favorite line in this movie, ye was but his managers like they're talking about the shows he has lined up, and he's like, yeah, well the nut's very farm one. That's not gonna happen. It canceled. And he looks at him and he goes, not very canceled, so earnest, Yeah, not spury canceled, just like the lowest moment. I feel this way so much of the time, Like when I applied to be when I applied to be like a children's to like take care of like the kids at an American history museum, and I was like, I teach puppets to kids and I'm American, this America, American study in American studies, and they rejected me. And I was like, not Spury canceled.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, anytime a role comes up that you're perfect for, it's no.
Speaker 1: Not Spary canceled. That can't be. How can that be?
Speaker 2: I applied to write the historical context for the programs for shows at the National Theater in London and I didn't even get an interview. And I knew somebody who works there or a friend of a friend know someone who was able to pass my resume.
Speaker 1: No, not Spury canceled. I didn't even get an email back, Like I go to a personal it's so messed up, so messed up by can cancer not Spury? I love that bonding question of the perfect fit for one did not Spury cancel? Yeah, one did not Spury cancel. Oh okay, Leanna more badges.
Speaker 2: Oh a badge for Hugh Grant's silly goofy asides. Yeah, I just love I love his delivery style.
Speaker 1: I really love it. Badge for the opening music video. Dancing starting a movie with a music video is so cute. Yeah, yeah, And it was the whole music video, which I love it goes mad. There's a moment in it where there's he's just had his like heart event, his cardiac event in the hallway and he and the other guy are looking into the camera and singing, pop goes my heart and you can tell that Hugh Grant is laughing.
Speaker 2: That's so cute, and I'm like, I love that they know.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I've figured out this is very binary, and I'm so sorry. But in the society we live in when they are portrayed, when we portray men and women on the screen, I love when women are freakish and men are silly, two things I will forever, forever love.
Speaker 2: The two genders, freakish and silly. Oh a badge for the running piano bit where Drew Barrymore is always putting something on his piano and he's always taking it off.
Speaker 1: That sian. That's very unfortunately. I don't mean to be a but like when quirky girls are just like bad like that's that's me. Like when they're doing things wrong, when they're doing things wrong every day wake up and I assume I'm doing like so many things wrong, and I usually am, oh god, it's your turn. Oh, badge for badge for wow, I did not write good badges. This is terrible badge for the two thousand and seven fashion throwback. And also there was something quite quaint about it. The scarves, the scar the far side, the headbands. This was like middle school huge necklace and yeah, long necklaces. Loved it.
Speaker 2: A badge for her hair looks good from the front but not the back, and I loved that that was very humanizing. They're seated at lunch or breakfast or something, and she's got the classic like rom Com soft wave curl beach waves. Yeah, I guess I actually don't know a beach wave looks like, but it's that like very smooth, yeah, but soft curl, and it's very voluminous at the front. And then there's a shot of her from the back and you can tell that they've kind of taken all of her hair and put it in front of her shoulders so that her hair looks super voluminous yeah, from the front, and then it's like a straight little strip of hair at the back. And I was like, yes, this is cinema. This is this is womanhood. To be a woman is to perform ha this is the realist moment in a film. One little that I've seen in months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little rat tail in the back.
Speaker 2: I just we need to admit that we look best with all of our hair shoved to the front of our body, and no one should look at us from the.
Speaker 1: Badge should look at the back. Yeah, I'm too terrified to see that. Most of the time. I wrote badge for Matthew Morrison. Lol, just hilarious to see him.
Speaker 2: My final badge I loved so many quotes. My final badge beside all the quotes that I loved is a badge for her shirt and necklace combo that she wears to the concert. It's this very gorgeous, like silk dark green shirt that's a really nice cut and has a long, tasteful necklace huh with it, And I was like, I would absolutely wear that.
Speaker 1: I love that my final badge. For the end credits, those were so cute. I really enjoyed the final little like blurbs that they were doing with the music video. I thought that was hilarious. That was really fun, very clever. Yay trages. Trag is.
Speaker 2: A trage for it's annoying how hesitant she is this job it's really annoying even with her like trauma, yeah, her writer's block, trauma.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, rejecting a job that fell out of the sky. I'm sorry. Absolutely not trage for you're like cole Porter and panties that sucked. I hate that. I was like, love this, love this. Oh, don't talk about my underwear. And also that's just not something you should say.
Speaker 2: Trage for they didn't eat their breakfast when she's like, I want to go get breakfast, and then that's where she dumps about her trauma.
Speaker 1: Hate. They leave without having eaten the breakfast. I hate on TV when they don't eat the food. Let her eat. Trag for the weight loss through line. It could. I will say it didn't come up that much, but for yeah, she works at this weight loss place. And then just a couple of times he says something about like I have aformed at a fat farm.
Speaker 3: Once you're just like, oh, yeah, I similarly have a trage for a society's approach to fatness.
Speaker 1: Ye generally yeah, especially at this the fat phobia undertones trage for all the appropriation. Again, we discussed it a bit earlier, but it's like, this is a perfect example of what appropriation is, which is what they're making fun of. I don't think they had quite words for it at the time. It felt very of its time, sort of tragic, like not sure we're actually working on making progress with this. Yes, yeah, a trage for Okay, a badge because I think as if Manvia is so funny in this as the person who works in the lobby of their building, but a trag for they make him do like a very stereotypical accent. Yeah, and that was really too bad. Trag for. This is actually unforgivable what he's saying to her when they had that fight. Yeah, he was like, you're exactly like what that guy said about you in the book. Yeah, that would be like, yeah, can we just say, anybody listening to this who might be in a relationship with that kind of thing might have been said to you at any point, anything that hurtful going for the jugular. That is such an unloving thing to do. You have to question that person's character to the very core, because damn what who I can't believe he said that to her, and obviously he took it back later, but like, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Something is so wrong with me because I'm like oh, I get it. I would have said that too, Like she spent so like half the days that they had to work on this, like hemming and hawing. Yeah, and now she's backing out at the last second and he needs this so badly.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong, it did. It was hurtful and hateful. It was I will say it was so unprofessional. Just suck it up her. Yeah, her behavior. Yeah, I definitely hated that. But going for what she said, She's like, by the way, the one thing I'm really really, really really hurt by is a specific thing and he's like, hmm, guess what you're hurting me. So I'm gonna say that one thing that's unforgivable and she's like, please don't and he's like, no, I'm saying yeah, yeah, that was that was bad.
Speaker 2: My final trage is I googled it and there is a fourteen year age difference between these actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was. How old was she in this?
Speaker 2: I don't know. He's sixty three now and she's forty nine. So the maths of whatever that makes them in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: Why, oh okay, I just thought another trage trage for when when she goes the sister goes, I'm your older sister, and then she goes seven years old years older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what it was two thousand and seven being an old woman, being an old woman, being a woman over thirty at all was insane and it was a real weapon to remind us of anybody of that.
Speaker 1: But why would you even I just didn't understand why it was relevant.
Speaker 2: It's not relevant. I think it's just one of those things that siblings do where they know it'll annoy the other person, so they just.
Speaker 1: Like do it. That's so weird. I hated that, And my final trage is just the singer being super sexed up because it's her idea. If they really wanted to be critical of the industry, it would have been fun if they're like, well, we have to sell stuff, so she's gonna do her dance thing, you know, like, well, if you want to really sell, then we should have her do a little dance, right right, you know right, Which is like.
Speaker 2: If they were trying to like empower her and be like, no, it's not it's too dark. If we have it be the industry forcing her to that's the thing.
Speaker 1: To want to dance, and I don't want to say, like, plenty of performers obviously own their sexuality, and like this totally she wants to dance and this could be like her aesthetic, but yeah, just like it's just so. I guess in the last few years, I've become so aware of the way that them because I used to be like not know anything about the music industry. And I remember somebody saying something about, like female artists have to do ten times as much as like a male artist. Like a male artist can get on stage and literally just sing, and female artists have like put their legs behind their head and like do a flip and like do aerial silks and wear a super sparky health to just sing their little song and then also have an amazing voice. And that's just what we expect from them. And I was like, oh my god, you're right, and now I can't unsee it.
Speaker 2: And one of my favorite tiktoks is a guy talking about Pink and like her crazy aerial performances that she does, and he's Scottish and he goes, I don't like to be overly critical of performers, but Pink, get done, get done, get done.
Speaker 1: She is She's just flying around get done. That's so funny, don't anyway anyway, Yes, she could be as an artist wanting to own her sexuality and this is her aesthetic and everything. But I feel like these are the little things where it becomes a bit where like the parodying of stuff and like like like the essence of parody, like the South Parks and everything they'll make fun of, like the artists themselves, where it's like this isn't an individual's chore, like this is the industry, Like don't blame the women. I just I could just feel the like blaming of women for so long of the like total well, she's a sex symber, like you know how Britney Spears wanted to because that's like what it's making fun of, right, It's like Britney Spears like wanted to take her boobs out and it's like absolutely not. It was all the men around her, like she likes doing her things and she loves to dance, but like, yeah, everybody's society being weird about it.
Speaker 2: It very much shows that we were still decades away from the reckoning that we did about what we did to Brittany.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly. So I just felt a societal traged that we weren't like obviously talking about that, but all that said, Core was very hilarious. Yes, well, Leana Shell and move on to her next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film? Do we have to? Yeah? I think we literally do. I'm just gonna look up some trivia on this movie.
Speaker 2: This is for Uh, you are at a concert, you are seeing Doja Cat? Huh and Matthew Matthew woreris and he says, hey you go ah.
Speaker 1: He goes, hey, sorry, I've noticing that you're enjoying this music. I've actually been in a lot of musicals and musical media, but there's one that actually had a concertant that you may have seen it. I don't know if you liked me in it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's called Music and Lyrics? Did you? I don't know. Are you familiar with it?
Speaker 2: And in order to make Matthew take his final bow, we're going to give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Music and Lyrics. Yes, Matthew, I've seen Music and Lyrics? Oh what Doja Cat's coming on?
Speaker 1: Now? Gary, I'm going out?
Speaker 2: And her sister says that at the very beginning, because she's like, oh, Alex Fletcher invited me to see him performing.
Speaker 1: It, Gary, Gary, I'm going out. I loved her sister in this. Yeah, me too. I love her too. I could have sculpted us by now. Yes, Matthew Morrison, I've seen music and lyrics. Fun fact. Fun fact. Hugh Grant at first didn't want to sing, but then he trained got really into it and was like this is so fun and decided to perform the big concert scene live, and then when they played it back, he was like, Okay, this sounds horrible, and so they did a pre recorded version. But it seems like he was very amused by it all. So I love that for him. That's really funny.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Matthew Morrison is still talking away, but I see that Dojakat is coming towards us, and I asked for a photo and she says, only if you're single, and I say, well, I've been married sixteen years. But nothing's written in the show, right.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love when she's like take them in, take the kids inside, and he's like, but should love you, and she's like, good man, take them inside, but you're a good man. I love you? How hard is it? You go? You said she was so awesome.
Speaker 2: You go, you walk, you sit. I liked their dynamic, her and her husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the heck? Yes, Matthew Morrison, I've seen uh music and lyrics. Fun fact, as a child, Hugh Grant took piano lessons from Andrew Lloyd Webber's mother. Oh that's so funny. But he forgot to play piano later, so he couldn't play it in this. He had to like pretend Andreloid webba so ando web I guess he was just a community member. That's so funny. Wait, so did he like hung out around like angrelaid Webber's house. I wonder how old she was Weber?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder hold Androloid Webber is as well.
Speaker 1: I think he's so old, isn't he like so old? I think he's maybe in his seventy Oh that's not that old. He's seventy six. Wow, I thought he. I thought he had to be like one hundred and five. But I guess I'm thinking of his mother. She's probably around one hundred and five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Matthew Morrison, I've seen music and lyrics, and I've also seen Glee, and I think you just need to leave people alone for a little bit. I know I have amazing insight. I would use it on myself only. I don't have any problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, Matthew Morrison, I've seen music and lyrics as we presumed. Cora Coorman is based on Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. Yeah, I'm glad they made Kora. I'm glad they made Kora likable and not just like yeah totally, you know, yeah, yeah. I love that she was never like a villain character or anything like that, because people hate women like that. Could have really that could have really been bad, dangerous territory. Well, Leanna, shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course should you watch this or where we tell you I should watch this film, or if you should spend your time doing something else? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Look, I think this movie is fun and silly, and I think a lot of the lines in it are very funny and I was laughing out loud. It's not perfect and oh do you know what? Okay, if you need a different rom com that's more Madrin and feels like a refreshing oh yeah, but still follows comfortingly a formula. You could watch Starstruck. I'm sure I've recommended it before. It literally show Starstruck on HBO. Oh, it's such a cute show, very cute show, very rom com vibes, British talking about celebrity, celebrity.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 1: Wow, it really is a very similar comparison. Nice, so good, Seanna, what would you say? I have some recommendations for what you could watch of a similar vibe. I think this movie was really funny and cute, But if you wanted to watch some other things, if you want to do the opposite of cultural appropriation of South Asian cultures. I really liked the documentary The Problem with a Poo. And if you're like, oh, I want to learn more about like why this feels kind of messed up? Is it really that big of a deal talking about like sort of the like South Asian representation in Hollywood. M hm h, then you can watch You can watch that documentary is really entertaining. Also, if you want to watch something about celebrity that's making fun of celebrity, you could watch the show The Other Two that was so funny. I was thinking about it when they were doing it. When they were doing like buddhast Delight and stuff like, or when I was thinking about how I wish they talked about her being sexualized, like who cares about sex selling? Mm hmmmm hmmm. And the final show you could watch if you want more Matthew Morrison is the show Glee. No, but that one is probably the most problematic of them all anyway, Cursed. If you want a problematic watch, how would you rate to the film music and lyrics? I would give music and lyrics three point five mashed potatoes out of five. It was so dumb. I like there were times where I was watching it where I felt embarrassed, wow, because I was like, this is just so it's like cringey in like a fun rom com way. But on top of that, I will say, it's also really clever and cute and like there's it's more than just like like we're talking about like an AI rom com. It's like a step above that in a really fun way. Yeah, it seems like a perfect thing to watch with your family type of vibe. Yeah, it was cute, Yes, Leonna, what about yourself?
Speaker 2: I would give music and lyrics four tight pants out of five. Uh, it's so fun to watch you Grant do a little day. Yeah, gosh, there's kind of nothing like it. Yeah, I love watching that. A lot of the lines, the little quips I love. Oh, I love a little quip so much, And there were one thousand in this. It was mostly little quips. Yeah, it really was a little quip than it is human interaction. And that's fine by me.
Speaker 1: I don't really need much in the way of conversation. And I think to your point about like AI rom coms versus this one, the leads in this at least felt like it was fun to watch them interact with each other, and there was some sort of like spark between the two of them and fun to watch them bounce off each other energetically, which you do not get I think in most modern rom coms. Yeah, it's just like, who are the hottest and most famous people right now? We'll just put them in a film together. Yeah, that's not really, that's not working. Yeah, we don't have a Hugh Grant right now, like just a quippy man British man. Well, my gosh, we have reviewed music and lyrics an American rom com. Thank you so much everybody for listening. We've been Toss Popcorn. You can follow us at toss Popcorn on Instagram, we post cute memes. Check it out and also that follows on Patreon at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. We just recently posted our August our August Monthly Toss and you can tune in for Septembers where you get to see our faces as we review movies from today modern movies, and join us next week when we will be watching Juno Slay Slay, Thank you, we love you, Bye bye. You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put on episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when he's in the weight last place and he talks to the woman behind the desk and he goes, so how much do you weigh? She says, I fluctuate, so good