Speaker 1: In some very real ways. Cambridge Analytica changed my life.
Speaker 2: Casey is the only person in America who benefited from.
Speaker 1: This was great for me.
Speaker 3: Welcome to SNAFU, the podcast about history's greatest screw ups. I'm your host ed helms and each episode, as you know, I cover an enormous grew up from history to see what we can learn from humanity's biggest mistakes. My guests today are truly two of like just the most awesome people. Truly, I am so excited. We have Kevin Russ, who is an award winning tech columnist for The New York Times, frequently covering Silicon Valley, social media and tech developments. He's also the author of several books, including The AGI Chronicles, the inside story of the Race to create an Artificial Superintelligence, releasing later this year. Welcome Kevin Ruse.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And we also have not just Kevin, we also have Casey Newton, who is the founder and editor of Platformer, a publication about the intersection of democracy and tech, and was previously a senior editor at The Verge. Together these two come together in a podcasting voltron as the podcast hard Fork, which is brilliant. It's hugely popular. It is incredibly successful. It is a New York Times podcast, and it is about the rapidly changing tech world, and somehow it's it's incredibly grounded and informative even when these things feel dark and scary, and it's also insanely funny and entertaining. Welcome, Casey and Kevin.
Speaker 4: Thank you, ed, it's great to be here. Thank you for those kind words. And I'm sorry Kevin's bios so long. We're trying to cut that down a little.
Speaker 1: I just keep adding fake things to it.
Speaker 2: Olympic Gold medalists, Nobel Prize winner.
Speaker 3: That's all good. I think I think anyone can claim a Nobel at this point. What is it? I'm just so curious as a fan of hard Fork, like, and I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but were you guys friends before hard Fork or did you sort of come together? Was this sort of like a more of a business venture that and then because you do have the dynamic of people who seemed to just have known each other a long time, it's a very easy vibe.
Speaker 4: I think that the answer is that we were friends who have become much closer friends since we started doing the show. Like Kevin and I knew each other from San Francisco tech reporting circles. We would see each other all over town as we were, you know, covering this Google event, that Apple event. But both of us really wanted to start a podcast, and when we looked around, and the truth is, both of us tried very hard to find someone else to do the show with, and we just kept coming back to each other. We were just kept coming back, like, I think this is honestly the only person I could imagine doing this way. And like, almost five years later since we started having that conversation, like, I feel exactly the same way.
Speaker 1: He's the only one for me.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's a charade. We actually hate each other. This is just a sort of kabookie theater bit we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the first time we've talked outside of a hard Fork taping and sels.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you're you're putting on a good show. I'm I'm definitely buying it. I think one of the reasons hard Fork works for me just as a fan is that I just trust you guys. I feel like you're incredibly well informed, but you also have this uncanny ability to stay calm and steady when things feel so terrifying, and I'm just wondering as a non super tech person, I just feel so confused so much. And you guys are such a steady calming force. How do you do that? How do you you're in the middle of it. It would seem like you would just be running around with your hair on fire all the time.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think both of us are optimists by nature, where both people who have observed that like, for the most part, technology has been good for people, Like we're not people who wish that we could go back to an agrarian economy and sort of do subsistence farming, like I like having an iPad, you know, And so we want to believe that as uncertain and scary as the world often is, we are going to muddle through somehow. And so, you know, while we pay a lot of attention to the many, many things that are going wrong with snawfoos, if you will, we also think there's like some pretty cool stuff happening in the world, and we like pointing that out whenever we can.
Speaker 2: I think we try to be skeptical without being cynical. Great, it would be the way I put it, you know. I think we try to be reporters and question authority and the official narratives. But we're also not sort of knee jerk reflexively cynical about the fact that some of this technology is quite good and improving in ways that should make us both excited and fearful. So that's the balance which to strike. We try to just be really honest. Some weeks we're really terrified, and you can hear that in the show. Some weeks were more excited, and hopefully you could hear that too.
Speaker 3: Well. That is very well said. And I love the distinction between skepticism and cynicism, and I feel like that's not a distinction that is made often enough, and sometimes in our own guts, like I know, I crossover. I like to think I'm just a sort of healthy skeptic, but sometimes that cynicism creeps in, and boys that get dark, oh boy. But that's why you're here, That's why hard work is there to uplift all of us, and it's why I am so thrilled to have you both on today. I've picked a doozy of a snaffoo to discuss, and it's one that you both know inside and out, which is kind of interesting. Because that's a little bit of a a flip of our typical format. Usually I'm telling the guest a snaffoo that they may or may not know anything about, and either way it's a surprise, whatever the story is. And in that way, I'm sort of the professor. They're the student. But in this case, this is a story that you both deeply reported on at the time it was happening, and you are deeply well informed about. So I am very much the student. I'm excited to I'll still be the narrative anchor. I'm going to kind of walk us through the story, but I'm so eager to learn from you, guys, and hear from you the sort of details and color that we just ordinarily wouldn't get in an episode like this. So thank you for being here, and we're about to dive into the story of Cambridge Analytica right off the bat. Guys, what is that conjure in you? Tension, excitement, humor? What is that?
Speaker 4: It makes me honestly a little bit nostalgic. Cambridge Analytica was honestly really important in my life. I had started writing a newsletter just a few months before that scandal, and I was mostly at the time writing about the backlash to Facebook that had to be gone after the twenty six US presidential election, and my newsletter was getting, you know, a little traction here, a little traction there, and then Cambridge analytic happened, and all of a sudden it felt like, to some people, the biggest story in the world. And so my newsletter grow. It wound up enabling me to like quit my job, start a podcast. So like, in the very real ways, Cambridge Analytica changed my life.
Speaker 2: Casey is the only person in America who benefited from the Cambridge.
Speaker 1: Like this was great for me.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I have distant memories.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have the memory of a goldfish, so I forget things that I reported about last week. But when you say the words, I am filled with a kind of yeah, mid twenty tens nostalgia. I started thinking about the Harlem Shake, you know, and other the ice bucket challenge sort of exactly other phenomena from that era.
Speaker 3: Of course, Well, just to give the audience a little bit of grounding, the Cabridge Analytica data harvesting scandal of twenty eighteen was is considered one of the most massive and possibly worst data misuse cases in history. This was eight years ago or more. No, like what it was twenty fourteen? Just twelve years ago? What year are we in?
Speaker 4: Well, so this actually gets to a really interesting eighteen Yes, where do you start it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons why Cambridge Analytica wound up being a really weird scandal was that most of the details were known years before it turned into this conflagration, and it was only in the aftermath of Trump's election that a lot of Americans said, wait, what exactly was going on?
Speaker 1: And then it blew up.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, all right, let's dive in to kick off our snapfoo, We're going to travel back in time, like we were saying, to the mid twenty tens. So just to help reset your culture clocks. Obama was in his second term. Russia has annexed crimea. Everyone's freaking out about a bola. In the tech world, apple watches and other kinds of wearables are on the rise.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. As Kevin mentioned the ice bucket challenge, we were all boring ice water on our heads, and Instagram was primarily just photos of eggs, benedict and sunsets. The good old days. AI still felt like sci fi. Back then, chat GPT wasn't even a blip. We were young, optimistic, and really maybe a little too casual about clicking. I agree on terms and conditions that no one read. How naive we were. Was a better time now. While we were happily posting memes and baby photos, we didn't even think to worry about what was happening to all the data that we were putting out into social media or what someone could possibly do with it. But I'm kind of getting ahead of myself. Let's start with something innocent. Facebook quiz apps. Do you remember these, the harmless time wasters like what is your ice cream? Iq? Or what carb are you emotionally?
Speaker 1: Or which Harry Potter House?
Speaker 3: Exactly which Harry Potter House? Did you take any of these quizzes? Do you remember any results? I remember that I was. I was all of the carbs. Actually it turned out that I identified equally with all of them. Yeah, do we know any what was anyone in Gryffindor?
Speaker 4: I feel like heaven is definitely a slather.
Speaker 1: That's such a tough thing to say.
Speaker 3: That's a burn too.
Speaker 1: No, I love the scheme.
Speaker 3: I took one and it turns out I was. It was like which bagel are you? And I'm in Everything Bagel, which I think was supposed to be flattering, but I don't like everything Bagel. I think they're kind of gross. So these all these quizzes, they seemed kind of innocent and fun, but at least one in particular we now know was quite nefarious. And this was an app called this is Your Digital Life. Seems harmless enough, and it claimed to be for academic research. This is Your Digital Life was a personality quiz produced by a data scientist named Alexander Cogan and his company Global Science Research, which right away, I just don't trust Global Science Research. It's too much going on there.
Speaker 4: I think that's the same company from the Alien movies exactly.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul Reiser is an executive and he's just he's a little smarmy, weird vibes. So this was in twenty fourteen, and here's where it starts getting icky. It wasn't just collecting your answers. It was also quietly scooping up data on your Facebook friends, who definitely did not sign up for that. So, thanks to a handy Facebook API loophole, the app could access information on jobs, education, location, relationship status, and liked pages. So while you were figuring out which pasta shape matched your vibe, this app was building a surprisingly detailed dossier on you, your psychology, and that of your entire digital entourage. Question, do you think that the average American at that time had any sense of how this kind of personal information that everyone was sharing just exhaustively could be turned against them or were we just high on digital narcissism? No?
Speaker 1: I mean an American.
Speaker 4: Americans are very interesting in that they will say that privacy is very important to them, but they will give up their privacy for almost anything.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's like they will tell you, you know, that they don't want to, you know, put the name of their children online, but if it got them ten percent off at ross dress for less, they will absolutely give you all that and more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Companies are always sort of doing this weird dance where they're trying to get you to reveal as much as they possibly can without it accidentally blowing up in their face.
Speaker 2: Well, and this was also an era that was called sort of the open graph era of Facebook. Basically, they were trying to turn Facebook from an app where you would go and you know, stock your crushes from college or whatever, to a platform where other apps could build things. There were apps like Farmville that you could play inside Facebook. You could use Facebook to log into Spotify or any other number of services, and that was part of this quiz push was like you could build things on top of Facebook, and then Facebook would actually send some of that data to the developers of the quizzes. This was the same protocol, the same process that they used to connect people with Farmville, games and Spotify.
Speaker 3: The best case use of that data would just be for that app to reach more users or at this point, what's their reason for being just so give and take with this data.
Speaker 1: So Facebook used.
Speaker 4: To have this very permissive what they call an API and Application programming interface. It's essentially just a piece of software that other lets other pieces of software talk to each other. And there was a time when Facebook invested really heavily in that because they wanted essentially every other software to connect whatever they were building to Facebook. Facebook thought, this is the way that we are going to grow and take over the world is essentially everything runs through this. And the way that Facebook was able to attract so many of those people to its platforms was by saying we will give you data that you can't get anywhere else. Right, there aren't a lot of other places where you can go if you're a legitimate researcher, a shady researcher, somebody who's making a mobile game, and immediately get not just my name and my email address and my phone number, but also at the time, the names of all of my friends and their phone numbers and their email addresses. So for people like the ones who wound up building the app that led to Cambridge Analytica, this was a gold mind. It was an absolute bananza and it really benefited Facebook until it did.
Speaker 3: And do you think we've gotten just back to that initial question about how you know we share information online? Have we gotten any better at this or I mean, in casey, I love your analogy, Like if we get a discount on something, we're just like, yeah, take whatever whatever you want. Here's here's my mother's maiden name. But are we just that lazy, Like we're just our brains are just wired for heuristics, like we just want the shortcuts everywhere.
Speaker 4: I think there have been some major changes and you can see it when you log onto social media, right, you used to log onto Facebook and Instagram and you see your friends and family. Now you see a clip from a podcast you've never heard of, right, And that's you know, has several causes behind it, but one of the big ones is that Americans are sharing less. The whole bargain that they struck with Facebook of Hey, I'll give you all my information in exchange for you keeping up on the divorces of my high school classmates. That bargain doesn't feel like that's as good anymore. And so all the real sharing is happening in these private group chats, and all the public stuff is kind of more you know, creator content and you know, celebrities and all of that. So in that respect, I really do think things have changed now. At the same time, can I get you to give up information if I give you something of relatively low value? Yes, I think that is still broadly the case across you know, many different dimensions.
Speaker 2: Well, and I also think like AI has become the sort of next frontier of this because people are sharing all kinds of stuff which have spots. People are having therapy sessions. Yeah, they're confessing their crimes. They're they're like people are doing people are having these conversations that are very intimate in some cases, and I don't think they know or particularly care what's happening to that data on the other end.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, I don't know. I just I've gotten much more anxious about this over the last few years, kinds of I'm.
Speaker 1: Just doing it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Well, I mean the stuff I've already told to chat GBT, it's all. That's all just in the murder category. All right, let's get back into this story. So the app we're talking about this was collecting all this data and according to Facebook's rules, you're not allowed to repurpose this data in anyway. But Cogan was. He was selling this data to a little political consulting firm in the UK called Cambridge Analytica. In fact, it turns out Cambridge Analytica had actually paid Cogan to create the app in the first place. So what is Cambridge Analytica. Well founded in twenty thirteen, the company's mission was to take mountains of online data from potential voters and turn it into political leverage. The playbook borrowed a page from the US military's idea of psyops and applied it to elections, using targeted ads and so forth. They referred to this as quote, psychographic messaging. This is so Orwellian like it's it just sounds like big Brother hired an ad agency to come up with these terms.
Speaker 2: It does make me wonder whether if all of the things in this scandal had had like different names, it would have like Cambridge Analytica just sounds spooky. It's psychographic messaging just sounds spooky. It's like they have been called like political hot trends one oh one.
Speaker 1: Who wouldn't have been a scandal? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure that one would have grabbed hold Kevin, but yeah, uh no. But you're right, and global science research is part of that too.
Speaker 4: And I think it's important to say, as we start to get into this looking back, I think many of the claims that were made by all of the players here were just wildly overstated.
Speaker 3: Right, it is both.
Speaker 4: True that Americans were very, very concerned about this psychographic targeting that was, you know, going on during election. It's also true that it almost certainly had nothing to do with the outcome of the election.
Speaker 3: Right, we'll get to that. We'll get to don't get ahead of me case. I'm sorry, geez.
Speaker 1: He's always doing this microphone.
Speaker 3: Okay, good to know. We'll just cut Casey out of this podcast. I think we can do that. We have the technology, or we'll just create an AI Casey that's way more compliant and just easier. Back to Cambridge Analytica. Running the show was CEO Alexander Nix. There was, also, of course, Steve Bannon, who you may know as Trump's former chief strategist and general architect of chaos. Bannon was one of the founders of Cambridge Analytica and later it's VP. Now bankrolling the whole operation were hedge fund billionaires Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebecca, longtime backers of conservative causes, they were also the founders and part owners of Breitbart News, where Bannon was executive chairman for several years. So, using the data from Cocanza app, Cambridge Analytica put together a robust se pychological profiles and personality scores for Facebook users. They then matched these profiles with US voter records, and voila. They now had a custom data set designed to predict, target, and potentially sway people's votes. Now, despite only about two hundred and seventy thousand people downloading this app and using it. The API loophole at Facebook allowed Cambridge Analytica to mine data from eighty seven million people. Holy shit, Holy shit. Who bears the responsibility here? Like? Is it the users for sharing the data? Is it the bad actors collecting and manipulating? Is it the platforms like or all of or is it just an holy toxic three way?
Speaker 4: I think it is a bit of a toxic three way, you know, Like I imagine that you ed and most of your listeners have had the experience of you install an app on your phone and it asks you, do you want to share your contacts with this app? For developers, that can be a very effective way of finding other customers, or if you're trying to grow a social network, that can help to grow a social network. And if you think that some social networks are good, maybe there is some value there. But it's also true like if you're one of the people whose information is being shared, like arguably it's kind of being shared without your consent by like one of your friends, and it's being used in ways that you have no real control over. And so I do think that was bad and it is why you know, that practice has been dramatically curtailed in more recent times.
Speaker 3: Amen. All right, well it's about to get real. Cut to twenty sixty. The American presidential primaries are approaching, and there were a couple of big name politicians who caught wind of this Cambridge Analytica spicy operation and said, give me some of that. One of them, of course, was the Ted Kruz campaign, which, on the advice of the Mercers, or perhaps the insistence, it's not quite clear. The Mercers, were one of of the campaign's biggest donors. The Cruise campaign paid a cool five point eight million dollars for Cambridge Analytica's services. This did not work out well. Basically, Cambridge Analytica scammed the campaign. They pitched as soon to be finished software platform called Rippon, named after the Wisconsin town where the Republican Party was born, meant to be an all in one command center for the campaign, and there was just one issue that software didn't exist. There was nothing there. All of the money was just going towards trying to build the software and not actually implementing it. The campaign was understandably furious, but firing them outright would upset the Mercers. So instead they went with the least dramatic option, just kind of a slow fade out, just kind of gradually sidelining the firm. It's just it's funny to me how entire institutions revert to full on middle school conflict resolution just slowly ghosting. Cruises campaign fizzled out, as we all know, and Cambridge Analytica did what any determined contractor does after a breakup. They found a new client. Enter Donald Trump in the middle of what was widely considered a long shot run for the Republican nomination at the time, his digital operation was basically non existent, so Cambridge Analytica saw on opening and they moved fast, pitching themselves as the high tech edge the campaign needed. Before long, they were brought on to handle all of the digital responsibilities for the campaign, and from there they got to work shaping what voters saw online. The strategy was simple in concept and unnerving in practice. They'd figure out what worried you, what scared you, and then feed you content that leaned into those concerns while positioning Trump as the solution. So basically, anxiety and uncertainty custom tailored just for you, just a spigot of fear. I don't know, it feels like a horror movie. It's how cynical is this?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's so cynical, But also like this just is how we have built our social networks. They're optimized for engagement. So whatever it gets you to open the app more, to spend more time there, to do more things in the app, that's what you'll see. And it turns out that if you scare and upset people, they look at the app more. So, like that kind of brutal calculus is one of the reasons why we're in this mess we're in today.
Speaker 3: This is the first place that I've seen or heard about fear and terror being like a deliberate effort on the part of a campaign, of a social media campaign. And yet we have heard a lot about how algorithms have sort of naturally steered things in that direction. So which is it or what's the bigger force at work here? Do you think is it the built in programming or is it like bad actors?
Speaker 4: So, I mean, look, negative political ads have existed for a really long time. You can go back to like the Daisy ad and you know, do you really want this guy's finger on the button and you know, vote for him and we're all going to die in a nuclear holocaust. So that kind of stuff has a proud tradition in American politics. I think where Cambridge Analytica felt really different was that was this suggestion that they could essentially micro target and add to your particular fears and neuroses and they would manipulate you into voting for somebody without you even understanding what was happening to you, right right, So, and you know they could do this at like a massive scale. But you know, because the vast majority of Americans were on Facebook, they could just sort of reach all of those people instantaneously in a way that they would not have even been able to do with a TV ad.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's some additional nuanced at here, which is that it's not clear that what Cambridge Analytical was offering to do actually worked right, worked really well. President Ted Cruz would have been elected. They have just been a sales pitch that they were giving. I think it is also true simultaneously that the Trump campaign appears to have done a very good job of using Facebook as a way of getting voters to engage with whatever they were sharing to inspire people to go to the polls. They ran a very sophisticated, essentially marketing operation on Facebook, but it's not clear to me that they did that like using the tools and techniques that Cambridge Analytica gave them rather than just the advertising and marketing tools that are available through Facebook's own ad platform.
Speaker 3: Sure, and also the incredible instincts of Donald Trump right, like his just unbelievable ability to tap into cultural tides of anxiety and his humor, like the way that his I think his undeniable charm was just feeling so so fresh and kind of unbelievable to people at this time.
Speaker 2: I think he's like a human newsfeed algorithm. You can sort of see him as he's giving a speech. He's just like sort of testing out stuff, and if it gets a laugh or people get excited about it, he like does it again, and if people don't seem to respond, he doesn't do it again. He's sort of like running the ab test in real time on his audience.
Speaker 3: As we all know, Trump won in twenty sixteen, leaving a lot of people wondering how the heck did he pull off one of the most surprising upsets in US political history. Now, obviously the answer to that is a very complex constellation of cultural and political factors. But that analysis got a lot more complicated in March of twenty eighteen when Cambridge Analytica ex employee Christopher Wiley went full whistleblower and shared a cash of documents that immediately exploded across world, headlines in The Guardian, The Observer, of the New York Times, and many more. This was absolutely nuclear. Here's a few choice quotes from Wiley, and it is important, Kevin, you made a great point in case you've hinted that too already, which is that the effectiveness of Cambridge Analytico is debated and debatable. But what we're speaking to in this moment, I think is more just their intent, like what they were selling on the assumption that they weren't selling a scam, but that they were selling the intention and the hope that they could execute on these things. So here are some things that Christopher Wiley, former employee of Cambridge Analytico, was saying. Quote, we exploited Facebook to harvest millions of people's profiles and built models to exploit what we knew about them and target their inner demons. That was the basis the entire company was built on. Wiley also said of Cambridge Analytical leadership, quote rules don't matter for them. For them, this is a war and it's all fair. And here's one more because this guy really has a way with words. Wiley told The Guardian that that Cambridge Analytica's operation was quote Steve Bannon's psychological warfare mind fuck tool, which is I mean, it's pretty great, as they say, guys, gives good quote. Yeah, this is March of twenty eighteen. Take me back to this moment for you, guys, What was it? What was it like this this story falls in your laps. You both wind up becoming like very important reporters in this whole affair. And also given the context that you mentioned earlier, Casey, that that a lot of this wasn't necessarily a surprise, what made this moment so tectonic?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So my first thought was like, oh, like, people want to talk about Cammebra's analytica because I had covered it a little bit at around the time that Facebook had first closed its API to doing exactly this sort of thing. You know, the company decided to shut down its platform in part over privacy concerns, right, because, like years before Cambridge Analytica happened, Facebook was getting flack for how easily it was making it for developers to collect massive amounts of data on people, and Facebook's like competitive priorities change, and so they.
Speaker 1: Sort of shut it down.
Speaker 4: So when people start talking about Cambra Johnalyltica again, I was like, oh, like, I'm sort of surprised this is becoming a thing. But I think it's really important to remember that in March of twenty eighteen, Americans, some significant portion of them were still asking themselves how did Donald Trump get elected? Like you cannot overstate the degree to which, to some healthy chunk of the country it all felt like a fluke, and people were searching for an explanation that would make it make sense that the United States had elected Donald Trump, And so there was a real appetite for some narrative that could come along and explain how this guy was able to get.
Speaker 1: Into the Oval office.
Speaker 3: Very very good point. What did it feel like to you, Kevin?
Speaker 2: So I was trying to remember my own Like I was not one of the sort of main reporters that the New York Times who was doing the story, but I did end up interviewing Mark Zuckerberg about this, and I remember about that interview that we got a call my colleague, Sheer Franklin. I got a call that was basically like, Mark Zuckerberg is available to speak to you about this in twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: And this is right after this is like just a couple of days after this story broke, right.
Speaker 2: This was one of the first times he had sort of addressed this, and I was like in the middle of something.
Speaker 1: Shiro was in the middle of something.
Speaker 2: Neither of us had expected or prepared for this, and we had twenty minutes to prepare for this very important interview, and I just remember feeling very stressed about that. And what was so interesting to me was that he was obviously very defensive. He understood, as Zuckerberg did, that this was going to be a big political liability for him because people were very mad about Facebook and its role in the twenty sixteen election, and they you know, even the day after the election, people were raising questions about whether Donald Trump's victory had been sort of Facebook's fault or whether Facebook had been primarily responsible for it. So he was clearly on the defensive. He made a bunch of points about how they were restricting access to this data. They were going to do a full forensic audit of Cambridge Analytica to figure out what had happened, and he sort of said that they regretted not having gone after Cambridge Analytica harder and this app, this quiz app that had collected all this data, and he said, you know, we wish we had done more to make sure that they had actually deleted the data when they told they did.
Speaker 3: His team alerted The New York Times that he could talk in five minutes?
Speaker 1: Is that how think it was twenty minutes? But it felt like five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's just a power move to put you on your heels.
Speaker 4: Right, and like, yeah, and Kevin, I fire my correctly. I had to cut his lunch short and he was like super mad. He's like, you wanted to get to Zer and then he couldn't get to Zer. It was the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, he can call me in forty five minutes. Yeah, I didn't say that, all right.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good place to hit pause and let's pick it up in the next episode. Thanks so much, guys. SNAFU is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the collected works Legal from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Kline and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerry Lieberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening and see you next week.