Speaker 1: What's a good Commandi's family Brian Coo with j here and this is the Next Man Up podcast. We talk to your favorite Commanders players, not so much about x N knows more about the man behind the helmet.
Speaker 2: And our next man is no other than Sam Cosmy.
Speaker 1: Sam talks about his family ties, inspiring his incredible work ethic. He talks about being overlooked early in his career and what that did for him today. And of course he showed love to his new baby girl that Sam Cosby is our girl dad. And we talk about all that and much more. All that starts right, What's good Commanders Family? I'm brod who and this is the next Man of podcasts. We talk to your favorite Commanders players, not so much about X and OS, more about the player behind the helmet. And our next man up is no other than our big guy, Sam Kasey saying, how.
Speaker 3: You doing today? I'm doing great. Appreciate you on this and.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you beating here. I know you guys are busy. Man, we're on the back end of the season.
Speaker 2: But like I said, we.
Speaker 1: Don't really want to talk too much about football. We want to know who you are as a person. Man, we want to start from the beginning. So you said humble Texas, right, not humble, but humble.
Speaker 4: Age is silent. I don't know why, but that's how it's pronounced.
Speaker 1: All right, talk about that and like what it means being there, because I know you love Texas a lot and that's home for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, growing up there. My family still has the same household that I grew up in. You know, that's just the area I've always been in, loved and seeing it develop and do all that. So you know, there's a lot a lot of you know, like connections there and stuff like that. You know, most of my family have a massive family and so all of them are pretty much there, you know, thirty minutes outskirts of that area. So you know, it's just it's it's home to me, you know.
Speaker 1: And they say Texas Well, they have this argument right where like Texas, Florida, California they talk about the best football states.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you put Texas up there.
Speaker 3: At the top? Well, it has to be, right, it has to be.
Speaker 4: It's like Friday Nights is like it's almost like, you know, other than church, you know, it's it's it's second you know, so it's like it's there's nothing like it, and you know, the support that we get from parents and all that type of stuff. They're so invested into it ever since grow up in little you can do and all that stuff. I mean, it's the Little League. Parents are crazy, you know, crazy for it. So yeah, I mean it's it's almost like a religion of its own.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It seems like I have a cousins that live out there, like you know, nephews and stuff like that that play at a very like you know, they're this big playing the tiny little kids playing, but they're getting like big championship rings. Yeah, things like that to compete. Did you get to do that when you.
Speaker 2: Were a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we though when they started introducing like the rings, Yeah, I thought it was so cool when I started doing selectball, so like that was like going into like end of elementary into middle school type of thing. They started introducing like when you want Championhi, you got a ring? I actually got a couple that my dad. Everything I get that you know, from you know, you know, high school college. Now I just give it to my dad and he keeps it and he loves it, cherishes it. So you know, it's it's definitely really cool to get one of those. Now kids are getting all the time, and it's really really cool. It's crazy like.
Speaker 1: In every sport, baseball, they getting these big old race and I think it's so so cool, and I think it's a testament to like how serious Texas takes their sports.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, for you, when did you realize like, oh, hey, I'm gonna be a football player, like this is what I'm supposed to be doing.
Speaker 3: With uh, you know, I didn't really know.
Speaker 4: I mean when I started playing football, I was nine years old and I originally played soccer and I was way too aggressive when it came to I got way too many red cards.
Speaker 3: They put me a goalie.
Speaker 4: My mom, I remember I was going to uh she was driving to school and I was like, you know, I want to play football, And you know, the first thing she said was, you know the coaches really mean you know.
Speaker 3: So I was like, oh, no, you know, I want to try it out and do it. You know.
Speaker 4: It stuck and in high school I didn't really I didn't know the whole like recruiting process or any of that. Like my family, they they came from a different country, and they didn't know any of that. So like for me, it was just like when college started, like wanting to talk to me and stuff, I was just very foreign. I'm like, this is a thing, like I can actually go to college playing football, you know, for free. Like that was mind boggling to me to be true, way too good to be true. And I was like, you know when that first offer came in and and I was I was over the moon for it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean when it comes.
Speaker 4: To that, I just it's it's just crazy looking back at that, for sure.
Speaker 1: And you can tell your parents meet a lot to you a couple of times just already talk about them.
Speaker 2: You said they're immigrants.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, so my family came from first generation here. I'm first generation here. They came from Romania and met at they went to the same Romanian church by the metal coffee shop and got Yeah, I got this whole history of me being here and doing all that. So, uh, you know, it's really cool to have that heritage and that culture. I have a massive family here in Texas, you know, and with that comes with you know, a lot of sport, a lot of love, really really close family and so yeah, I mean They've mean the world to me, and they've done so much for me just you know, they had to learn so much as of.
Speaker 3: VI right going through this whole football process.
Speaker 4: I mean, my mom was like she didn't know an ounce of football, you know, and now she's like she's over here to call and plays and doing this type of stuff.
Speaker 3: She's locked in for sure.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's really special what they did for me and how much they sacrificed for me.
Speaker 1: That's so cool because you see like here immigrants and you're like, that can't be easy.
Speaker 2: It cannot be easy moving.
Speaker 1: From one country to another, Yeah, and just completely starting a life, and you growing up seeing that, hearing the stories, knowing what they had been through to get here, how did that change your perspective and like make you look at them different?
Speaker 4: You know, Like the biggest thing that I took from all that was I never took anything for granted, especially like you know, growing up we didn't have They provided a lot for us, but wouldn't obviously have I income from a household that like you know, we had all the little nice things here and there, you know, like it was they they did everything they could to provide for us. And do give us a great life and we had, you know, and seeing how hard my dad and my mom worked and did all that, like it was just like a testament to them. So you know, my dad would always tell me, it's like, you know, depends on how how much hard work you put in is how much you're going to get out type of thing. So, you know, everything I do, I kind of kind of take that mentality, and because I've seen it. You know, like my dad works his tail off. He worked his tail off for us, you know, just to provide and do all that. And you know that's something that I always appreciated.
Speaker 3: I always saw.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's he's so such a hard worker, you know, and it's really cool being able to like observe that and see that from my dad and be able to take that and you know, not only in my everyday life but on the field and doing all that type of stuff.
Speaker 1: I love hearing you guys talk about your dads. Yeah, Like when I was growing up, you always like, oh.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my mom, shut out to moll.
Speaker 1: Dads didn't always get a lot of love. And it seems like you all, younger cats really got love for your dads.
Speaker 2: Your dad's were very very present. So that's so cool.
Speaker 1: And you know a lot of times, like me growing up and going through life, I think about the things my dad has said, right, I think about things advice he gave me.
Speaker 2: You've got a lot going on lately.
Speaker 1: What is some advice from your dad that you ring true in your head constantly? What's the one thing he constantly told you that you're like, yeah, Pops, she was right.
Speaker 3: You're talking about my new addition.
Speaker 1: It could be that. Man, I mean, you are father. We were gonna get into that a little later. We could jump into it right now. You are a girl dad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a girl dad for sure. It's one of the I mean, it's such a special moment to go through and be a part of and and do all that, and you know, being able to hold your baby girl and do all. You know, it's just like there's nothing like it. There really isn't. And uh, my dad he just always told me and tells me to like cherish it. And you know, he knows like what type of man I am, you know, and like I the things that he's told me, like the way he raised me, all that type of stuff, like I'm taking, I know, to take to my my daughter, you know, how to how to treat a rite with respect and all that type of stuff. And and uh, you know, I have two little sisters, so uh you know they.
Speaker 2: Had a little practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, like I I, I treat them with all, you know, so much love, and I care for them so much, like they're almost like my daughter's almost that type of thing, you know, So it's like, uh, they're my little sisters there. You know, I protected them. I did all that, you know and that type of stuff. So my dad always told me to do that. So that's what I do for my little baby girl.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: I have no doubt you're gonna do that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about your baby girl a little later.
Speaker 1: But let's let's go back to you being a young man choosing where you're gonna go to college. So clearly family's a lot to you. Like you said, you have a lot of family in Texas. So was that always the goal to go to college somewhere in Texas and be close to your family.
Speaker 2: Was that kind of the goal?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: If I'm gonna be honest with if it wasn't for football, I probably wouldn't have gone to college like I was. I was like educally like my mom always like I had really good grades in high school, like I scored really high on my SAT like I did all that. But like for us, it wasn't like college wasn't necessary, like you go do it type of thing. But it's like if you want to, but it's like, why do I want to go in debt where I could just go work and start working my way up to something, you know. That was kind of my mindset. Obviously I wanted to go to college, but again for football, I got the opportunity to do that. And you know, I originally committed to the University of Houston, hometown co chairman at the time when I ended up going to Texas, and I was a low recruited cat like I was.
Speaker 3: I was on the barrel type of thing. So like.
Speaker 4: You know, so when they went there, it took a while for them to it was two weeks before signing day they offered me. They struck out on so many guys they finally offered me, And like us or for my family, Texas was kind of like that, like the Mecca, the Mecca, h you know, so It's like, I'm not passing that up. But you know, I got to college. I was like four fifth string office lineman amongst all everybody.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like I was one of those developmental guys. So uh but yeah, when I had the opportunity, I mean they were so thrilled that I was going to Texas.
Speaker 2: So you were thrilled as well.
Speaker 3: I was. I was stoked.
Speaker 4: I mean that was a uh that was a school that I always repped all the time. Like my parents would go to Ross and if they had Texas here there, I always ask them like can I get sure? Can I get something? You know, like Ross or Marshalls, you know, like that type of thing. So like, uh, yeah, I was always trying to rep Texas.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: They clearly made the right decision. Man, You go to Texas and now you said it. You said you weren't one of the top guys. You were at gaming of the bottom of the depth chart. Yeah, what did being able to overcome that become a starter, become a big man on campus? What was that like for you? Especially when you're young, you're a teenager. That's not easy to do. Man, How did you stay focused? How did you accomplish that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like kind of going back to my my dad's way of like working. You know, I was a really really light guy. I knew I had to put weight on. A lot of the testament was to my strength. Coach Yancey McKnight. He helped me a ton through that whole process. I sat down with him like, hey, like I know what, I know what where I'm at, and i know what I need to do and I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to do everything to do it.
Speaker 4: So like when I tell you, I was always in the weight room, like always lifting always. Like my eating habits at first was just like on point, like you know, like I it was like cars, a ton of protein, you know, limited sugar, that type of stuff. Like I was on top of it. I ate Chipotle. Would you look at that they old chipotlet. But if you Rice has everything, you have everything.
Speaker 3: I eat that for like.
Speaker 4: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner type of thing. Like I was so dedicated to doing that. And you know, as the years kind of progressed, I was able to put weight on and then I was always kind of like more athletic when it came to a big guy. So like I think that it kind of goes back in the background, like me playing soccer. That helped a ton, you know, just being able to be such a big guy. But I was able to move with all the smaller kids instead of doing all that type of stuff. So yeah, I just used that to my.
Speaker 3: Ability to go up.
Speaker 4: And as I started putting more weight on and doing all that, that's when I started being able to perform really high and do all that. So yeah, a lot of my testament goes to obviously like my dad's worth ethic and looking at him, knowing that I got to put in the work, and then my strength coach.
Speaker 1: I mean, it takes a humbleness in all that work right and grinding and knowing like hey, I could have went somewhere else, so maybe a smaller school and been the man.
Speaker 2: Immediately she chose the long route. You chose the harder route for you.
Speaker 1: When was that moment when you were like, oh wow, like I'm here, like I'm the man now, Like I've put in that work and now I'm here to show you guys who I really am.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like my sophomore year or my retro freshman year, I played and I was really light and I had a good season, and I was going to my junior year and I bumped up like twelve twelve fifteen pounds and I started like halfway through like really playing some good ball, and there was somebody talks about like, hey, he could like come out and go to the draft. I'm like, what the NFL? Are you serious? Like that's not even that was not even again, college was never a thought. NFL was never a thought. So like those things, I was just trying to play football, right, you know, like just play football, have fun, do my job. And that was my basis of what I was doing. So yeah, I mean junior year was when of the talks are like, hey he could come out, you know, and I'm like what And so yeah, that's kind of when I started like oh, I actually has a shot to do something.
Speaker 1: That is so wild because then you get drafted, you go what second round? Yeah, I mean that is crazy for somebody that didn't even assume that they were going to make it to the NFL. But you made it and you get that call from Washington.
Speaker 2: What was that like for you? Man? What was that moment? Like take us back there?
Speaker 4: I mean, never my Waller's dreams, what I've ever imagined being and this position. I mean, you know, a lot of people take you know, could take this for granted. I did not, you know, I mean this meant not only so much to me, to my family, to the testament of what they did for me and all this, like all the investment that did to put into me, all the all the long car trips we go and go to games and travel and do all that, and you know the amount of hours they put into just taking care of me and doing that. So yeah, I mean, it's just it was you could see it on the table. It was just so much emotion just came to that. You know, it was so cool. It was really really special.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man.
Speaker 1: And then your first year, you know, you're troubled with a few injuries, and you know, there's a lot of young guys on this team, and there's a lot of young people that watch and like look up to you and say, oh man, I want to be the next Sam Cosmy.
Speaker 2: How did you mentally overcome that?
Speaker 1: Because nobody expects that, right, nobody expects their rookie season to be having to deal with injuris, having to miss time. How did you mentally overcome that and keep.
Speaker 4: Going uh, you know, like rookie year, a lot of guys say it's like a blur, and mine was for sure a blur. It was definitely difficult because I that was the first time I really got the injury bug, because I came back from a high and low ankle sprain on the same ankle, and then the same game I came back, I tore my hip flexer. So like I never had injuries in college, like I was always healthy.
Speaker 2: That was brand new feet.
Speaker 3: It is this whole new experience for me.
Speaker 4: Luckily, I had Brandon Sheriff here and he was dealing with a knee thing, and I learned a lot from him on like how to get through that. But yeah, I mean it was definitely you could say, like a darker time, you know, because it's a new spot. I've never been outside of Texas besides then, and I went to California for training. But that was you know, that was good. That was a great time. But this is I'm on my own. I go I come here, I go to my apartment by myself, and it's just football by myself, football by myself. So when the football aspect got kind of taken away, I was just strictly like focused into just trying to get my body right, you know. And so yeah, I learned a lot from Brandon. I learned a lot for myself. I learned a lot about my body and and doing that type of stuff.
Speaker 1: What was the hardest part about them days when you had to go home and be alone?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you go to an apartment that like it's just like I didn't have a lot of lights in there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's just like I always said, my two my two friends were my two TVs and the and the thing. Oh wow, Like it's just like, you know, you're by yourself, Like it's not easy. You're young, young, Yeah, you just like I don't want to go out and do stuff. There's you know in the area. It's more suburb area, so there's not tons of stuff to do around here. So it's like, yeah, it's quote unquote kind of depressing for sure. So yeah, I mean, just but I knew that's the one thing I did. I knew that better times were coming. That was the biggest thing the mindset, like better things times are coming. Because again going back to if I keep working hard, better times are coming.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: You know, so just keeping that mindset of like it sucks, like especially that second.
Speaker 3: Injury coming back.
Speaker 4: I mean I was in the dumps, like I worked so hard to get back from my high and low inkle sprain. You know, it's not an easy injury. And for that to happen, I mean, I'm like, all right, gotta do it again, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it worked, man, because clearly second year, it's been been a good year for you. Man, You've shown who you are, You've shown you belong here as a starter for you. How has this year been different than that first year? And what have you felt that it's just been different for you?
Speaker 3: You know, so.
Speaker 4: Just to be able to like, you know, grasping the knowledge of like the guys that I've had around me, the older cats, that type of stuff. Being able to you know, like ball slow down. You always kind of hear that, like as as time as plays kind of go and all that type of stuff, like just the football slows down and your knowledge of the game just increases. And so being able to have that like knowledge allows you to have like that savvy especially on the on the field of like yeah, I know what's going on, I know what's coming, I know what's going to happen. So, yeah, that's just having your head on your shoulders and not feeling like you're just like a chicken with his head cut off, you know, like that's the rookie year, you know, and then that you know, going to that that just feels way better knowing what's happening and that type of stuff, and then you can start working on your craft and really do all that.
Speaker 3: So that's been able.
Speaker 4: That's been the thing that's been able for me to just hone in in.
Speaker 1: And here's somebody that was very fortunate because you're coming on to a team, especially last season as well, where it's full of studs on that defensive line. Yeah, going up against some of the best defensive linemen in the.
Speaker 2: League day in and day out. What did you get from those battles?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I got I gotta put on my ass a lot, you know what I'm saying. So, like, you know, having these those guys to go against, like Tess and Chase especially a tackle and now you know this year.
Speaker 3: Being able to go against Rawn, you know, you learn a lot.
Speaker 4: You learn a lot from you know what it is like going against some of the best and you're always trying to you know, you're never you're never failing. You're just like you're taking this and if you allow yourself to learn from it, it's not you're not failing, you know. So those those are especially in practices and stuff like that. So being able to take that and grow from that was it was huge.
Speaker 1: Year three for you has to be very very special because you had your baby grow.
Speaker 2: What did that do for you?
Speaker 1: How did that change your mentality from this rookie that comes in here, doesn't know whether you're out there all alone, and now you're a father.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so it's crazy like then this time span I got married and then not even a year from when we got married, we have a baby. Like it's crazy for us, you know, and and uh, you know obviously you got to mature and do all that and like I'm a dad now type of thing, and you there's nothing, it's crazy. There's nothing like when you have that you know, your kid, that love, that instant love you know that you have for her. For me, that's what I felt. I mean, I wasn't when she came into this world. I was just filled with so much joy and love and that type of stuff. So Yeah, it gives me another motivation to play even harder on Sundays.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Has it made it harder or easier to do your job knowing that she's home waiting for you, waiting to be able to spend time with her dad?
Speaker 2: Does it make it harder? Sometimes?
Speaker 3: No? I mean I talked to my wife.
Speaker 4: I was like, I impressed myself right now because it's like, you know, it's like I get less sleep, right, and so it's like being able to come home like here and still like perform highly and do all that type of stuff. And you know, I because at the end of the day, I still want to help and do that and still be a pro and still be able to take care of my body and that type of stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, being able to go home.
Speaker 4: I look forward to going home, look for in to just holding her and just having on my chest and just having her just she does nothing, but it's just the cutest little thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's so sweet. Man, that's so sweet. Well listening, We're not gonna keep you too long. We know you still got more work to do.
Speaker 2: Here. We have two games left in the season. This is iow camera right here.
Speaker 1: Man, Once you look into this camera right here, talk directly to the command of fans and tell them why these last two games are so important and why they need to pack out FedEx feel for you guys and get real loud.
Speaker 4: You know, when it comes to this team, you know we have a lot to build on, We have a lot of potential to go forward, and I hope you all, you guys understand that each and every Sunday we.
Speaker 3: Give it her all no matter what.
Speaker 4: Your support means a ton and so having you guys there will just help us tremendously. So us as players, we played for you guys. We play for the name on the front of our chests and name on the back of our chest. So yeah, that support for you guys being there would be amazing.
Speaker 1: Saying, Man, we can't wait to see you guys ball out these last two games. It has been an exciting season watching you grow as a player, man, and I'm sure you're gonna just get even better now that you're a girl.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 2: Man say, we appreciate your time, Bro, appreciate you you so much. Man's fading.
Speaker 1: This is the Next Man Up Podcast, and our next Man Up is no other than our big man Sam.
Speaker 2: God's be saying.
Speaker 3: Thank you so Sank. You appreciate your guys.
Speaker 1: Love podcasts, but we have a lot more for you on the Commander's Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: We have the command Center Podcast with Logan Paulson, Fred Smooth and Santana mass It's like hanging out with your best friends, but you're talking all Commander's football. Then we have the Players Club with legends London Fletcher and Santana Maas and they sit with your favorite Commander's players and they talk football in a way that only those who played the game could. Then, of course we have to Get Loud podcast with Mike Jenkins and Fred Smooth doing what they do best, Getting Loud. That show is a lot of fun. And then of course we have the Next Man Up Podcast. We'll be back next Tuesday with another one of your favorite Commander's players. All that and more can be found on The Commander's Podcast Network streaming wherever you get your podcasts, or you can watch us on the Commander's YouTube page.