Speaker 1: Well, this week was certainly a departure from the normal films that we watch.
Speaker 2: You're telling me, you are telling me, this was another week of like I guess, unexpected things to be on the channel. Yeah, which I'm actually digging it, Like, I'm like loving the changes that we're seeing a part of Disney that I had no idea until we started doing this, Like yeah, there's.
Speaker 1: These little these little kind of offshoots where it's like, wait, what is this one? What is this one? What is the way she's a gas bubble? Like, it's all these kind of you never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: That one I probably could have done without. But that's all right.
Speaker 1: I agree. Well, let's find out if this week we could do with or without our movie. So, first of all, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high School's musical. I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian Hilloam everyone, it's time to throw an alley up to God as we recap a wild honka sports movie. Yes, you heard that right, a wild Honka sports movie. It is the two thousand and three d COM Full Court Miracle. It debuted on November twenty first, two thousand and three, just in time for a Honka season. And yes, again, this is a Jewish sports movie. Not the largest of subsets of films in this genre, one that does immediately come to mind as school ties. But let's be honest, there aren't a lot of Honka movies either. Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights is probably the most popular the few. But let's put Full Court Miracle very high on that list now, because it is a very short list. It was filmed in Toronto, our DCOM destination to the North Nose Prize there, Sarna. Are you a basketball fan?
Speaker 2: I am. I think, uh, football comes first, but I do like basketball. I do like basketball movies.
Speaker 1: I okay finding out I do. What's your favorite basketball movie of all time?
Speaker 2: Obviously Double Team?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Actually my favorite? No, I'm thinking I don't think I have a good oh A love in basketball?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Evan. Now have you have you ever seen Hoosiers?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is it good?
Speaker 1: Gene Hackman?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, phenomen like the quintessential basketball movie small Town and yeah it's I mean, I think it won several Academy Awards, like it's wow. Yeah it's check out Hoosiers.
Speaker 2: I gotta, I gotta check it out.
Speaker 1: Now, this movie might not be Hoosier's, but let's see what we got, uh Gene Hackman, by the way, spoiler alert, not in Full Court Miracle, just that I'm sure they tried to get him. But busy, this, busy, busy man, busy this week. Now, we commonly point out when a film is a critical success, but sometimes we have to point out when it's exactly the opposite, which of course is the case with Full Court Miracle. Laura Fries may have a delicious name, but her feelings on this movie were not as golden, thank you very much. She wrote in Variety. The director missed a prime opportunity to present a poignant and entertaining multicultural alternative to the usual holiday viewing, and was inconsistent between comedy and meaningful drama and not even Jewish publications like this movie. Joe Esconazi of Jay Weekly found the adult characters to be one dimensional, and though he praised the young actors, he called this film cheesy boy yeah. On the bright side. However, this film is inspired by the true story of University of Virginia basketball player Lamont Carr and his postseason experience with coaching here at Magical rewind. Of course, we love a true story, so it can't be that bad, can it. Well, let's find out. It was also nominated for two very impressive awards. First up, of course, it was the Humanities Prize, a distinction we all know about because of the Color of Friendship, a DCM that did actually win the award. It was also nominated for Best Children in script at that year's Writers Guild of America Awards. So come on, critics, let's calm down the haters here people, And in case you were wondering, you can catch Full Court Miracle right now in Disney Plus. But it's up to you when your press play. You can watch right now before we get our own analysis, or listen after we wax poetic. Similarly, you can eat ice cream for breakfast. You have free will. It's time to exercise it. Become your own person. We well, me, I believe in you, Sabrina. It does not, so I feel like we can predict this answer before we even ask each other. But did you know about Full Court Miracle before the podcast sent us the spereau of knowledge?
Speaker 2: And I would like to say that feels an I again to me, it's right in that timeline. It certainly looked. I felt like the beginning looks so much like Cheetah Girls in New York.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and three is when Chetah Girls came out, isn't it right?
Speaker 2: So it is strange that I didn't know, But I guess also not strange because especially at that time, like basketball, well, I don't know if that would have been really like something that I would have tuned into if I did see like a promo for it.
Speaker 1: So but this is Disney again, that the Disney we know in love, especially at that time, kind of doing more niche movies like Color of Friendship kind of niche, and yes, this movie kind of niche, taking a small kind of subject and let's do a film about it, which is what they're great at.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think it also kind of represents them really searching for where their d coms like the where to hit that perfect spot, you know, but at the same time very very different idea and opening a new world to the viewers as well. Possibly you know more and more more detail of a world they might not know about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sharing culture with kids all around the world, which is what Disney really does, which is great. Yes, are you gonna ask me?
Speaker 2: I I guess I'll ask you, but I mean we.
Speaker 1: All know might be surprised. No, I'm not going to view you might do anything. I did not know anything about this movie, so no, you were You're right to not be surprised, and I wouldn't trust me from this moment on frankly, but it is. It is. By the way, just a fun little side note. I was at a convention this weekend and so many people now are talking about Magical Rewine, and a woman came up to me and said, Hey, I've got an idea for you guys. And I said what she said, in the future, when you're rating the movies, one should be the lowest and ten should be the highest. And I was like, oh, great idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Because that was that's a good idea, and we're going to use it, but not right now, because right now we're going to strike up the generator. We're keeping the lights on for the synopsis. Alex A Young Jewish basketball star convinces it down on his luck former college star to coach his struggling team. Their journey mirrors the Hanika story as they discover perseverance, faith, and unexpected miracles both on and off the court. This movie is directed by Canadian local Stuart Gillard, best known for his work on Teenage Mutant Ninja, Turtles, three, Can't Believe, I Haven't Seen That, and two D coms Twitches and twenty twelves Girl Versus Monster. Don't know what that is, but let's get that on the list. He also directed TV shows like Charmed, One Tree Hill, and nine O two one O. And the movie stars Alex d Lintz as Alex Schlatsky, a name based on Carr's real life player Alex Barbag. I'm not going to touch that name, so it sounds a little like barf Bag, but we're not going to get into that. Lynce is best because the poor kid growing up must have gotten that all the time.
Speaker 2: I know, poor Alex, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Hey, when I say my name fast and I say I'm Wilford Dell, everyone thinks my name is Wilfred l So I was Wilfred for a lot of My Life.
Speaker 2: Oh Wow.
Speaker 1: Lynce is best known as Max Keeble in the movie Max Keeble's Coming Home. No, Sorry, that's not it. Max Keeble in the movie Max Keeble's Big Move, and as mccaullay Culkin's replacement in Home Alone. Three people just keep leaving these kids by themselves. You may also recognize him from the George Clooney movie One Fine Day, or is the voice of Young Tarzan and the popular Tarzan animated film from Disney. His last acting credit appears to have been in two thousand and seven. Also with the middle initial, we have Richard T. Jones as Coach Lamont. He's best known as Wayne Gray and the long running show The Rookie. He's a very recognizable character actor who's also been seen on Narcos, Santa Clarita, Diet and Judging Amy. And somehow we have actors with more initials. We've got a veteran Canadian actor R. H. Thompson plays Rabbi Lewis. Thompson is still working today and is best known for her movies Chloe and if you could See What, which is kind of a confusing title. Yeah, then you got Sheila McCarthy who plays the Cold Missus Kleine. She was in the Lindsay Lohan movie Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen and two other dcoms, cow Bells and Zombies three as the hologram Alien Scout. We haven't seen Zombies three yet. Oh wait, Zombi's three. Yes, so Zombies three. See now I'm getting all confused that it was the Sendence three. So she's the Alien Scout, got it. She's also and this is what I know her from, in Diehard two playing Big Ben. One of Alex's teammates is Sean Marquette, known to our listeners as Johnny Atkins on The Golder and It's Been Off Schooled. He's also the voice of Mac on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and a comedy star in her own right. Linda Cash is Cynthia, Alex's mom. She's been in Christopher Guess's Illustrious Group of Actors in Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show, and she's in the Christy Carlson Romano dcom Cadet Kelly And we also mentioned this all the time on Podmets World anytime an actor does this. She was also on Seinfeld but no matter who appears in the film. We all know the most important part of any movie reviewed on Magical Rewind the run time Yes and full court Miracle comes in at I just I feel I need someone to hold me. I know, I say, amazing, ninety minutes, ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Minutes, hitting it on the mark, ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 1: Ding ring, the alarm, set off the fireworks, scream for the mountaintops. We hit the target. Everybody close up shop, We can go home. Thank you so much for listening to Magical Rewind. We will not be back next week or any week.
Speaker 2: After because we've hit.
Speaker 1: Timing perfection, but congrats to all involved. We will of course be back next week because there'll be some other movie that'll be ninety three minutes that we have to bitch about. This movie was written by a team. We have Joel Silverman, writer of movies like Nailed Death to Supermodels and Surf School. I don't know several of those titles, but by god, I want to see them all. And then we have Joel Kaufman and Donald Yost, a legendary writing team here on the podcast because they wrote a possible Best dcom winner, Miracle in Lane two. So Obviously, anything they write has to have the word miracle.
Speaker 2: In the Oh, that's a good point, it's true.
Speaker 1: I wait till you see their third installment, which is just called Miracle of Miracles, The Miracle Story of Miracles. All right, it's Lions versus Warriors at East Hebrew Academy, the most important game in the history of humanity. But first let's get into full court miracle. Now, we may have shot the movie in Toronto, but we get some busy streets of Philadelphia establishing shots to start the movie. As my illustrious host pointed out, it looks exactly like the start of Cheetah Girls. It really does. It's kind of that moving camera, the skylines a little bit fuzzy. It is so early aughts it's not even funny.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a movie. Monroe did not watch this with me, but if she watches she'd be go, oh, mommy, this movie is old.
Speaker 1: Exactly does it looks like old home video? It shot in one of those giant camcorders. Yep. This is where we meet a young Alex Schlatsky who's wearing a yamaka and dribbling on the sidewalk. He's with his friend Julie, who reminds him his basketball team is so bad that even Alan Irison couldn't help them win a game. We find out they've lost nineteen in a row, but Alex thinks today is the day they could turn it around against the undefeated Warriors and their star player, Tyler Oo. Tyler, Julie says Austin Luego and Alex as Shlom in the most eighty yard conversation we maybe have ever seen in the history of our d coms. It's bad they obviously just recorded everything in a booth. It was too loud. Eventually, Alex makes it to his school, Hebrew Learning Academy, to meet up with his teammates. We learn Alex is the only good player on the team, and they'd at least win a game if they could just clone him for all five positions. We also meet our let's call her semi villain in missus Klein, a stern teacher who busts Alex for dribbling in the hallways. In all fairness, you're not allowed to dribble the ball in the hallways in any school. Everyone knows that. Now we're in a religious studies class taught by Rabbi Lewis. Alex and his friends are learning about Judah and the Maccabees and their treacherous battle in Israel, a story that helps explain Hanukkah mid lecture. Alex starts to daydream, placing himself on a very dusty basketball court and what we can assume is Israel in one sixty five BC. Alex, now dressed perfectly for the time period, is dramatically backed up by the rest of his ragtag team. They're representing Antioch, they are representing Antioch's army, and he's the great leader sent to save Israel. Surrounded by cheering locals, Alex steps up to play against Tyler and the Warriors, now all dressed like intimidated soldiers. I think they were trying to be Roman. I'm guess it looked to me. Yeah, and yes, this is as that crazy a scene as it sounds like it is. It was like, wait, huh no.
Speaker 2: I swear. I was like, on, is this how this movie is gonna go? I'm here. I mean.
Speaker 1: To just lean into any religion, doesn't matter what religion it is, but to really really really lean into it like this. I was like, oh wow, Oh they're they're going for it. Yeah, yeah, so yeah. Alex chucks the ball into the air and we're thrown back into the present. It's game day against the Warriors and the Hebrew Learning Academy Lions are down by more than twenty points. The players on the bench aren't even paying attention. They're doing homework. Even their coach, mister Simowitz, is grading papers. Julie and Alex's dad are in the stands watching the massacre, where Alex is becoming a bit of a ballhog. Another Lions player, TJ, trips a player and is thrown out of the game. As they conquer the Lions, Tyler turns to Alex and warns him if he thinks this is bad, wait until they play against each other in the upcoming tournament. Oh setting up some tournament stuff. Then the next day at school, Alex and his pals are talking about upcoming Hanukkah gifts, but one of the boys, lovingly names Stick says the focus of the holiday shouldn't be on gifts. It should be on the miracle of light and the victory of the Maccabees. But the guys don't fully believe in those miracles and call the whole thing a fairy tale. One day's worth of candle oil magically lasts for eight days. Come on, Okay, you live in Orange County. Yes, Orange County not necessarily known as having a huge Jewish community, Am I right?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Now? Have you ever celebrated Hanukkah? No? Never? I know what about?
Speaker 2: I don't even know. No, I don't even know much about. I mean, obviously I know the eight days and the lighting of the candles, but I don't even really know like the full Hanukkah story, right, So, and I because I didn't even know like it. There. It's not that there aren't Jewish people in Orange County or that I didn't necessarily grow up around them. I just didn't happen to have anyone that was like to the point where they'd ever like invite me over, you know what I mean, to where I'd have an opportunity to really learn much about it.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Yeah? Every year. So my dad's best friends growing up were Jewish. So every year we'd go to pass Over dinner and they'd come to us for Christmas Eve. Ohkay, we learn all about the Jewish customs and they come help us decorate our tree. So yeah, I was reading the questions and searching for the Maza and doing all that kind of stuff. So yes, I was familiar with this, but not, I mean not obviously the whole backstory of the Maccabees and all that kind of stuff. They really, again for Disney, really leaned into.
Speaker 2: It, I feel like, I mean, as we got more so at first, I feel like it kind of hits you right from the beginning, but then it really for me, seemed like it kind of became a lot more about the culture of the Jewish community as much more than like the religion religion aspect. It didn't feel at first I went, oh, they're really doing a religious movie, but then it didn't feel like it was super religious as we end ended up going on through.
Speaker 1: The yeah, it wasn't. I didn't they They didn't continue to use the kind of flashback thing. I think they do it one more time towards the end, but it's not it's not a go to in the film. I thought they were going to keep cutting to that kind of thing. But I mean, they do talk about religion quite a bit in this movie. I mean it is it's another character in this film, which again big swing for Disney to.
Speaker 2: Right into religion. But they as Disney does things like this very well. It had a nice softness to it too that it wasn't like jarring to where like if you weren't interested in that like that, you'd get annoyed and just turn it off. It was like it became a little bit more of just like an inspirational situation culture. Yeah, well yes, versus it being very religious like you know what I mean. It didn't hit too sharp to where if that were to be something that would trigger or you know, kind of rub you the wrong way you were you were out of the movie. It didn't to me. It wasn't that way.
Speaker 1: No, it was, but again it was it's what Disney does well, is hey, here's a culture you may not be familiar with. We're going to do a movie about it in a way you're you know, kids are going to relate to. And it's gonna be about It's a basketball movie, yes, set in the Jewish community. That's I mean. So it's yeah, so very Disney.
Speaker 2: I did have a question though, would is that to where like they're yamakas wearing them while playing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they would. I think they always wear them indoors.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I think I think I don't.
Speaker 2: Have speaking out of turn, but I guess it's it's not it's not adhering. I mean, you know, because some sports, you know, having like things that would maybe possibly be I guess unsafe. I don't know, but I'm like, what if what if the yamaka fell on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're pinned on. I think they're always. I think it's I think that's part of it. Yeah. Again, I don't know nearly enough about the Jewish culture too to speak on that, but I'm pretty sure they always wear it indoors okay. The boys do give Alex some grief about not passing the ball, but he blames them for being too smart. To the athletes, he wants to finally win this Liberty Tournament, especially because it will be in their home gym. His teammates laugh and he His teammates laugh, and Alex angrily storms off. Back at home, Alex complains to his parents that his friends don't care about basketball. His mom, explaining how impossible it is to make it to the NBA, tries to shift his dreams to medicine or becoming a lawyer, which Honestly, it's pretty good advice. But at the same time, you still don't try to kill your kid's dream. We'll get into her later. Yes, then her pager goes off. She's been called to the hospital. God, I miss pager, Sabrina, Are you too young? I've had a page.
Speaker 2: I had your pager. Oh. I had a pager. Oh, and I I loved learning all the being able to write out. I miss you if you flipped it over or you know, all those different things that you won four to three.
Speaker 1: Oh, God, the coche you would do. I had a pager. What I did not have was friends. So the page I got most was low battery, low battery.
Speaker 2: And Mom.
Speaker 1: I got that quite No, I don't think my mom even paid me. She's like, I'll call him. I'm not gonna bet my mom wouldn't have known how to page me come up. The next day at school, Rabbi Lewis is in his office when he crumples up some paperwork and slam dunks it into a nearby lampshade. Alex walks in just in time for the post basket celebration. He asks the teacher more about Judah Maccabee and how he led his outmatch team to victory. He knows they need a Judah maccabee and the current coach just isn't cutting it. The Rabbi suggests Alex talk to his mom, since she's the head of the board of directors, but Alex knows that won't go anywhere, so the Rabbi says he will get a new coach, but only when Judah Maccabee allows it to happen, which makes very little sense to the kid, or let's be honest, the viewer, thanks, dude. Yeah. That afternoon, Alex and Julie are playing one on one while Stick studies, and they're all trying to figure out what Rabbi Lewis meant. They assume it means a new coach will come when the time is right, but Alex argues they need that time to be now, and that's when he spots another guy practicing nearby. It's a tall adult making every shot and eventually slam dunking. Alex runs off to rebound for him. The man continues to sink everything but ignores Alex's question. Alex challenges him to a shootout. If the mystery man wins, he'll leave him alone, but if Alex wins he'll reveal his name, but instead the guy just threatens to stuff Alex into the hoop, then grabs his ball and leaves in a very sketchy van. But as he leaves, Alex takes note of the license plate and so back in his room, Alex is now teaching Stick how to stalk somebody on the Internet and learns it was a special University of Virginia booster plate on the back of a van, and so that leads him to checking the school's basketball alumni, eventually finding him former star point guard Lamar the Hammer Car. Stick thinks this man might just be their Judah maccabee, especially since they share a nickname and his license plate is j M one's sixty five Judah Maccabee's initials and one sixty five for the year the Maccabee's drove out the Invaders, and even though Alex isn't buying the jam connection, he does think this could be their angel. After school, Alex has convinced his friends to come and see the ghost of Judah Maccabee, even drawing the passing attention to missus Klein, who stands below a sign that reads Sugar and Video Games hazardous to your brain. And now back at the park, the boys watch Lamar practice and are blown away, but can't imagine the reincarnation of Judah Macabee being a six foot five black guy. Alex points out this man just showed up at their park exactly at the same time they need a coach, so it must mean something. Alex approaches the possible coach candidate again and the results aren't much better the second time, but this time Lamar notices just how bad the Lions are watching them practice from airball to air ball, but he's watching them from afar. Alex cuts right to the chase and asks Lamar for help. The man laughs it off he doesn't have the time, but Alex assures him he does. On the internet, it says he played for the CBA for five years until he needed three knee surgeries, but Lamar promises his knee is better and has an upcoming tryout with the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Coaching kids is for has beens and wannabes, but when Alex offers him some money, Lamar agrees to an hour long practice tomorrow at four and drives off in that same sketchy van. Back at Alex's.
Speaker 2: So it was really like a rundown, just sketch like sketch, like.
Speaker 1: Hey, honey, where'd you meet your coach in a van by the playground? Never an answer you want for anything.
Speaker 2: I would if that van was anywhere near the playground. I can't even tell you the like reroute of what I would do to walk as far away from that van as possible. I hate vans that look like that.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I go out of my way.
Speaker 1: You would have dialed nine to one and had your finger over the other one.
Speaker 2: Just there's a van like that parked anywhere near my car, And I'm not like a mall or like a big thing like that. I am on the phone. Jordan's on the phone with me. I have my fingers with my keys. I am ready for battle.
Speaker 1: You like, are con prejudice against vans?
Speaker 2: Well, if you take any type of self defense or you know, anything like that, that's what they say.
Speaker 1: Like even Tyoh tells you to stay away from a van, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like that, especially one with no window. Holy cow, If that's happening to me, I am free.
Speaker 1: The hell out well, or or they're teaching your children how to play basketball, so never don't pigeonhole people.
Speaker 2: You know, to be fair, this one was green. I'm really scared of the white ones.
Speaker 1: Okay again, okay, it makes a difference. You've got you've got a color racism too, against believe.
Speaker 2: I just like honestly put that together because I was like, well, at least it wasn't a white one. A. Those ones are the worst. You know that they are.
Speaker 1: They might be the worst to you, but they're great when you want to rob a bank.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Back at Alex's house, his mom, Cynthia, reveals a new program at her hospital where students shadow doctors to see if they like the profession. She wants Alex to participate. In other words, she wants them to give up the pipe dream of playing basketball. And the next day, though a little late, Lamar does arrive for practice, surprising the boys with a loud whistle and immediately putting them back to work with intense time sprints over and over and over again. By the end of practice, the boys are exhausted. Lamar explains he's not there to be liked, there to turn a bad team into a better one. Alex pays him the rest of his money and they set up another practice for the very next day. Back in his van Sabrina's favorite thing in the world, Lamar sends a letter back home to his kid, including the money he just made from coaching. The next day, Lamar arrives for day two, and the boys immediately question their new coach about his family, trying to figure out if he could be actually Judah. They learn his dad was called Skip and he has three brothers, but it was four, just like Judah, but one was killed while on duty as a cop. Although the boys are affected by this revelation, they're immediately put back to work, and during the rigorous sprints Guess who bikes by Tyler Tyler and the Warriors, Alex is distracted by their trash talking, but Lamar gets some refocus, but also realizes that these kids are being bullied, and once practice is over, the boys are concerned about spending all the money on Lamont. Their parents are starting to ask questions, but Alex says he can't directly ask his mom for money for basketball, so now he's tasked with finding all the cash he can on his own, so he decides to sell his prize Julia serving Basketball car Doctor j just as his mom reveals he's been accepted into the Doctor's Shadow program and it starts on Monday. She didn't even ask him. She's like, you're going to this thing and you're giving up basketball, like the one thing this kid loves. To me that was like, really, you're not gonna ask me to quit basketball. It took You're just you're done with basketball? Mm not okay, Not okay, mom. And we're gonna get into to the mom a little bit farther because she MAM's pissing me off. I'm gonna be honest with you. Mom's pissing me off. And I get it's supposed to come from a good place. But the thing that was interesting to me, and I don't know if this is because again we don't know how much of this is based on true it's based on a true story, but you wonder how much is actually based on a true story. It's supposed to be based on the mont Car's life. But nine percent of these movies the bad Parent quote unquote, the one where who has the revelation who were always learning like, oh, should we put them in the Hall of fame? Is the dad?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Can you think of another one where it's the mom that we want to chuck into the Hall of Fame of dcom parent Hall of Fame double teamed Quints that mom.
Speaker 2: You know, but she was distracted with the other kids, which you know, understandably especially right, but she was because it was both of them. Like the thing is, when with the movies, there's usually one parent that's trying to pull the other parent that's maybe not making the best decisions and handling the situation the best, right, there's usually the other parent that's kind of trying to like come on, like, you know, but the two and Quince, they were just equally just like crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. I can't think of another just straight up mom though, where it's the dad being the good guy and the mom is like kind they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, This I think is a little bit of a first I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think maybe because again, wanting your kid to be a doctor or a lawyer, most parents want something like that for the kids. Grades.
Speaker 2: I think that's an obvious You cant do extracurricular things.
Speaker 1: But signing something, yeah, but signing up for something where it's like she hadn't even gotten the grades yet, but she's like it starts Monday, and hey, I'm literally in the middle of basketball season right now. She didn't ask him, doesn't do anything, just like that's it, You're done with this, and it's that I didn't didn't like that. No, So yeah, well it's funny.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I mean, not that you know, she's saying, like, oh, it's just so extreme of an idea that you would be an NBA. But being a doctor is a very giant goal and not easy to attain either, even getting into the right school that you want to get into to be that doctor, especially since they've said up incredibly difficult.
Speaker 1: They have clearly set up that Alex is like a B student, right, this is he's not.
Speaker 2: He's a student, so this is going to be a difficult. I feel like that's almost equally.
Speaker 1: It's just you can't you can't do something as hard as play basketball. You have to do something as easy as be a surgeon. Yeah, like wait what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again, just even getting into the school of anything seems like it would be very difficult for our friend Alex, who's a B student.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless you're going to Bob's upstairs medical college, then I'm guessing it's going to be tough. But of course Alex says he can't go on Monday he has basketball practice, but his mom doesn't care. She needs him to get ready for the rest of his life. Okay, we talked about this, do we? I think, especially after most of this movie. Again, she's never going to his games, she's never there to support him, She's trying to stop him from his dream. I have to put her in the dcom Hall of Fame as bad parents, wouldn't you. I guess she learns that, but they all do. But you still got to go into the dcom Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, she's there.
Speaker 1: She Gossibel first woman entry love that might be.
Speaker 2: I know what, watch the first comment we get back on that one of the guys are and correct, Yeah, there's three or four of them.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised Producer Lisa somebody hasn't popped up and been like, are you kidding? What about blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Right, Okay, and we'd missed the six that we're like, oh that's right, Oh that's right, Oh that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But regardless, even if she's not the first, she's only one.
Speaker 1: She's in later, Alex is back with Julie, who can't believe he's selling his doctor J card. It was a Barmot's foot present from his parents, but he knows to win the tournament, his team needs to practice. Julie says she might not understand what basketball means to him, but she does know the Shadow program is awesome. So Alex has an idea. She can take his place and he'll handle his mom. Meanwhile, Lamar's very creepy van is overheated, probably from all the children he's been kidnapping. In the back, it weighed down. He's told he needs five hundred dollars to get it fixed. Just as Alex arrives with his doctor J money, but Lamar says the deal is off. He needs to find some serious cash to fix his car, but Alex isn't hearing it. He offers double the money to make it worth his while, but Lamar says he can't do that in the kids. He can't do that to the kids. Alex insists they need to practice in the tournament is just two weeks away. Lamar is thankful and accepts half the money up front, but Alex has one more problem. The other guys are starting to hate basketball. Lamar needs to ease up a bit and help them love the game. Good advice. And so practice time is back, and Lamar quickly shows that he's completely chilled out. Instead of running drills today, they're gonna shoot. Oh yes, I love shooting and that's the best part of practice, and he does it with a smile. The Lions are loving it and they're getting better. Lamar says they have potential and ask them to stop putting themselves in a box as just Jewish kids who can't play ball. He needs them to believe in themselves. That night, Alex is on the phone trying to figure out how they'll get Laman's money, and for some reason, he's asking for coffee mugs, and when his mom gets home, he lies and pretends he was at the hospital today the next morning, which, again, if she's a doctor at the hospital, wouldn't she know that he wasn't there?
Speaker 2: I mean yes, I mean when you figure.
Speaker 1: Her doctor colleague would be like, hey, your kid never showed up today, right, And.
Speaker 2: You would assume she'd be checking in on him, seeing that he's.
Speaker 1: Fourteen, you know, and he's a helicopter par Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she's yeah, so that seemed to be a little a little m a little stretched.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also thought, if you're making up scenes for the movie, like the entire thing obviously has to be disnified. But what would have been great to get him out of the program is he's falling around the doctor for the first day. He knows he's got to get out. He goes to the first page in one little drop of blood and he pretends to faint. So it's like they know he's not going to be a doctor kind of thing. Yeah, which could have been funny, but again it's like, Okay, we'll figure it out. The next morning, we as the wonderful audience learned what the mugs were for. The team is manning a little cart in front of their school, raising money by selling coffee to parents and the rabbis, but when missus Klein spots them, she's suspicious of their real intentions. Back at home, Cynthia is bragging at Alex's dad about her son following in her footsteps, and he's nervous about selling a condo. So we have a doctor in real estate agent, and just as they can't find their espresso machine, missus Klein calls. He's been busted for selling beverages, and now he must answer to Rabbi Lewis, who's disappointed with all the lies. And Cynthia has banned all strangers from coaching the basketball team, which again, it's five kids meeting at a park after school. How can you ban them from that?
Speaker 2: You absolutely cannot.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like I'm meeting up with my friends at a park and we're training with some guy. It's like saying.
Speaker 2: Yourself exactly, and anyone's dad could be like, hey, if anyone you know or just see, like my kid with me and my kid Robert are playing and then all of a sudden his friends are there and the dad's like somewhat like helping, giving them tips.
Speaker 1: Like there's no, you can't ban them for that. You can't ban them for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this, I mean this lady just yes, you know, missus Klein is just hard too. She is I mean what a just yeah, ruin, ruin are.
Speaker 1: A fun not good? Yeah, she's a She's a what they would call a traditional buzzkill.
Speaker 2: Buzzkill. There you go.
Speaker 1: Alex quotes the Torah to defend the new coach and Rabbi Lewitz kind of agrees, and that's why he's inviting Alex, Alex's parents and coach Lamont to his house for shoppis this Friday night. Oh, this could get tricky, and so we jumped to Shabas. Everyone is partaking in the festivities while Lamont experiences some culture shock like putting horse radish on your fish and lighting candles to prey. But he's being a trooper and loves the food. But when he asks for milk, he quickly learns about the Kosher lifestyle. Everyone wants to know more about Lamont and how he's making the team better. Alex's mom certainly isn't sold on this at all. She has some concerns, one being they practice out on the street. That can't be safe. Again, this is the park you let your kid go to every single day. And so Rabbi Lewis has a solution. He offers up the school jim for their practices. What a great idea, except when they cut to them later they're practicing outside still at the school, which made no sense to me. Lamot makes sure the rabbi knows he isn't Jewish, and the Rabbi jokes, yeah, he suspected that, but it's all about acceptance and inviting all faiths to join them in their teachings. And a little known fact, the NBA was started by mostly Jewish teams, including the Knicks. But Lamar still turns down the job. He's focused on making the sixers. I suggest they make the job temporary day to day. That way he can leave them when he has to join her roster. But back at home, Cynthia, Oh, Cynthia, the loving mom is of course furious. She tells Alex's dad, Marshall, that she wants Alex to focus on something realistic for his life. Again he's like thirteen, but his dad argues that this is his dream and you can't stop a kid from trying to achieve his dream, even if it's unlikely. Thank you, good advice, Thank you dad, Thank you dad. And so the next day, Alex arrives with the new basketball coach, LaMonte Carr, who sticks out like a sore thumb. We get a good line when he says he feels like quote a filter fish out of water unquote. Then, unfortunately, the first person they run into is Missus Klein. Happy, Happy, Missus Clyne. She's the fit. I'm not even gonna keep singing for missus clein. She's the worst. She's anything but welcoming and already mad about basketball being back in the hall. But the former basketball coach mister Simowitz is thrilled that they found in a replacement. He is off the hook and him running up like thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: And I was like, thank you. If I ever had a coach that was just sitting doing grading papers or anything, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, yep. The Lions are getting better, but Alex is still ball hogging. Rabbi Lewis catches some of the practice and is already impressed with their growth, but Coach Lamont knows they have a lot of confidence to build if they want to beat the Warriors. Rabbi Lewis again mentions the ancient Maccabees and how they dealt with being out numbered, and it gives Lamon an idea. He immediately uses the Maccabee strategy, also known as the full court press to isolate and pressure the offense. After practice, Alex borrows TJ's bike. Borrows is a quote unquote basically steals it to follow Coach Lamont in his van Again little kid on a bike folling a guy in a van not always good, performing jumps and drifting to keep up. Eventually learning that his mentor is living out of his car under a bridge that doesn't make the van any better. Alex decides to get a closer look and is caught by Lamont. It's then that he reveals his team thinks he's the ghost of Judah. Lamont laughs it off and invites the boy to stay for dinner. While eating food on a bridge, Alex hears all about the coaches CBA career. Alex is jealous Lamont got a chance to follow his dreams, but he admits he misses his son terribly. He explains, to chase big dreams, you must make big sacrifices. He asked Alex not to tell anyone at school about his van. Good advice, and Alex agrees to keep quiet.
Speaker 2: I love Lamont. I think he's such a great character. Character's amazing in it. But I'm just going.
Speaker 1: This is getting worse. Yeah, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: If this isn't like a movie that would be on like what like Hallmark right before the Little Kid gets stolen exactly.
Speaker 1: You change a couple things in this movie, and then the titles wears Alex. It becomes a whole different thing, Alex.
Speaker 2: It goes a very different direction. I mean, I'm just kind of like, I mean, but I'm in it. I'm there. I think I love Lamon's character.
Speaker 1: Were the title full court miracle, the miracle could be them finding Alex alive at the end of the movie in the van a basketball. That's what it is. Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: I do love Lamont. I do love the depth they're giving his character.
Speaker 1: That he's also the by far the best actor in the movie, and there's some good ones in there, but he's killing it in this movie.
Speaker 2: He is killing it absolutely, and I but I do love like it's not he's not just like a selfish guy that's you know, irritated, still trying to, you know, figure out a way back to his dream that he had. He's not just selfish. This is more. This is about you know, his family too, you know, and providing so.
Speaker 1: And at first I was like, oh, he's going to keep taking money from the kids. I don't know how I feel about that. But then he's like, because obviously he needs the money, he's living in a broken down van. But at the same time, it was like, I don't know how I feel about this, and then he started He's like, I can't keep taking this. I can't And I was like, okay, all right, good they're addressing that, which is yes, that was He's like, he just keeps packing the children's money to live in right. The next day, at school, missus Klein visits Lamont and asked why he's left the address section of his onboarding paperwork blank. He blames a recent move, but she's not buying it. He quickly makes up a number in street name by looking at presidential portraits around the office, So yes, he lives on Jefferson. That night, Alex's family lights a candle for the first night of Hanukah. Lamont is comfortable in his van, staring at his young son's art. Their situation could not be more different. Alex's night one gift is an is an Encyclopedia cd RAM. This pairs well with the pager. Alex pretends he's excited about it that has handed a replacement gift. It's the doctor j card. Julie told them he sold it and so they made sure he got it back. This is the thing I don't know about hannak. I know each night there's different gifts that are specific to the night, and I don't know what those are. It's like I know because I had Jewish friends going up there, like, oh, it's night whatever. Three. I'm making this up so I know I'm wrong, but it's night three. This is like the big night. This is where we get our big gift. So that you know, each night had something like a tradle was one night and I think they got money one night. It was all something different.
Speaker 2: I'm sure if you like really got into it, there's probably like a signifying reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure significance of the kind of gift that you're getting are like success or you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Got to mean something.
Speaker 2: It shows how it made me really like go. You know, it's crazy, like I know about quite a few religions and I've never really looked into things like this and getting specifics and made me kind of go again, here I am with Disney, like, oh, I want to travel to.
Speaker 1: This place exactly.
Speaker 2: I can learn more about jump roping.
Speaker 1: The history The history of religions is super interesting when you.
Speaker 2: Get absolutely so it's like, gosh, I really feel like I want to dive into learning more about it, you know, especially the traditions that they're still doing things that I really that.
Speaker 1: Lasts for thousands of years. Very yes. The next day, Rabbi Lewis notices Lamont's van in the school parking lot and realizes he's probably sleeping in it. The revelation to him just as missus Klein realizes the coach lied about his address. Rabbi Lewis covers for Lamont because missus Klein seems determined to get the coach fired, and she's also and as if things aren't stressful enough, Alex got a C minus god I'd be jumping for joy on his most recent history test in Rabbi Lewis's class. But more importantly, Rabbi Lewis warns Alex that missus Klein is going to follow Coach Lamont home from practice tonight. Soph he does something like, for instance, live in his van. He winks she can get him fired with the news. Alex rushes off to by the way, loves Rabbi Lewis loved him. He was he was great.
Speaker 2: He was the most like you just you just wanted to give.
Speaker 1: Him a high five. He was awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you for looking thank you for supporting and looking out for these kids, because thanks for looking out, Robert the only freaking one there. Yep, we're really thinking about what these kids want, what's best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true with this news. Alex rushes off to ask his dad about those condos he's been trying to sell, and then Alex leaves a note for Lamont. It includes an address and a warning to be careful because missus Klein will be falling behind him soon, and as warned, a sneaky climb tails the van, eventually landing at the Foresail condo. Alex secretly meets him at the door and Hans McKey. He set up a full plan to make it look like he lives there. Also missus Klein will get off his back and it works, even ending with Missus Klein soaked dinner convertible by a passing car splashing a puddle. No need to go into more detail about that.
Speaker 2: I have had such a similar situation. I've had two. I've had two convertible cars, and you've.
Speaker 1: Been splashed while you were tailing of a basketball coach who lived in a van. While trying to figure out if you're actually lived.
Speaker 2: In a place specific, but that like something has happened. When I've been on the side of the street taking my taking my top off of the car, you know, and like it's like ern and waiting for it to go, and this big truck came over and there just happened to be a puddle, and of course my window you have to have your windows down to do it. So I literally like it just I mean, thank god, I was looking like down a little bit, but it definitely just like swiped across my face and it was like, what the hell does happen?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's such a movie moment. That's such a movie moment.
Speaker 2: There's either like r waiting, waiting, waiting. I get it's such a great day. I should drive with the top down. And then like what I hate la.
Speaker 1: All right, well, you know what, We've got proof of concept. Now we've got proof of concept that can really happened. It's happened to Sabrina. I love that. Lamont says, of course he cannot afford that big condo, but Alex says he can stay there until his dad sells it. It even helps sell it if it looks like someone lives there. Alex offers to sell his doctor j card again if he needs money for utilities. Eventually, the coach agrees to staying there, but instead of Alex selling his card, La Motte will finish the painting and fixing the place up for potential buyers. And just like that, deal struck. That night, Alex's mom gets home from work and spots Alex's C minus and it's like he killed thousands of people. Oh my god. First, it's.
Speaker 2: Not I get it, not wrong, I get it. That's below average.
Speaker 1: She's not wrong, I get it, But come on to see minus. The kid didn't get an F. You got a C minus on one history quiz. But there's two weeks left until the tournament. Two weeks this kid, it's not Oh my god. The tournament's three years from now, and this is the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: It's fourteen days, okay, all right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, come on, first thing. The next morning, she's in with the Rabbi Lewis and missus Kleine. She thinks her son can't juggle school work in basketball and is willing to evolve the board of directors if something isn't done, which really feels like way too quick of an escalation. I mean again, what she's saying is my son can't do both, so the coach needs to be fired, so none of the kids can play basketball.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is so relevant today now where how parents react to things. It was unbelievable to watch because truly it's like, this is the coach's fault, instead of it being like, no, your kid's not making good decisions. Why when he's home, he's not at practice all night? No, the coach isn't calling practice from the time they get out of school till nine ten o'clock at night. The practices are, let's be honest, probably an hour and a half two and a half hours most. What's your kids doing time you are at home or your family or whoever's watching him she's doing while he's at home? Like sounds like a you problem, lady, not like a coach's problem.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe it. She's like, I want to cancel the whole thing because my kid got in.
Speaker 2: Mind, and I want everyone to say I want the whole team to suffer having the coach because my kid got to see. See, although she wasn't wrong with the sea, I do believe that you know, causes for a very stern talk, roping Alex back into what's important. No matter what school work, you gotta be, you gotta get there. But this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I agree, and that's why it's ridiculous. That's why she's in the Hall of Fame. Yeah before, Oh yeah, Now.
Speaker 2: She's got a letterman jacket exactly, and a letter and a trophy.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Doc, you suck. Rabbi Lewis promises if Alex's grades don't turn around soon, he'll intervene personally. And now it's game time. Coach Lamont in a beautiful white suit by the way, is giving the team a pep talk in the locker room. He makes them bark like dogs to get ready. I guess you had to be there.
Speaker 2: Awkward.
Speaker 1: That's the night scene for nineties early two thousand. Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Are not comfortable.
Speaker 1: They were like raw, Yeah, they're they're they're getting there. They're getting there. They have to believe in theirselves. But the big shocker here Alex has to sit out because he's failing history class, which isn't because he got a C minus, which doesn't make you fail. So I don't know what's happening here anyway, The point is the Lions will be without their star player. During the game, Alex is sitting in the stands with Julie, still weirdly in full uniform. He can't believe he isn't playing, but everyone is playing better without him hogging the ball. He gets into a little spat with Julie when she points that out, and she leaves as a result. Also, the team loses. Also, are Julian and Alex supposed to be crushing on each other? I feel like there was an entire storyline removed from the film and this was pointless. Are they friends? Are they dating? Did she go to a different school? That is she also Jewish? What is happening?
Speaker 2: She goes to a different school? I mean they they set it up from the like, you know, Asta Luego or whatever, different they set up the different cultures. I do like that being the dynamic of like a friendship or possibly like a little you know, romance crush thing, but it never goes anywhere. And in this fight that we're seeing, they'd never talk about it after, so I either it was cut or this writing was just they I know what.
Speaker 1: I think it was. You know what I frankly think it was is they needed a girl his age exactly because the only thing you remove her from the film entirely and make every part she was doing one of his friends, like in the beginning walking through the city that stick, then you don't need her at all. I mean, she's completely superfluous to the entire movie.
Speaker 2: I think it was, like you said, Disney, wanting to make sure that the girl was some type of girl. But if she doesn't have a meaning or a purpose other than to take over his right workload at the hospital.
Speaker 1: That's it. Well, think about if she's not in the movie, think about the only two other females in the movie. It's missus Klein and his mom, who are both pretty awful. Yeah, so unless you have some type of softer friend like female in the movie, then it really makes women look pretty terrible. It's because it's all men and the two women that are there are whiny and authoritarian, and it's like, yeah, you need to do something, but she just didn't give her anything.
Speaker 2: Just develop something for her, some kind of situation.
Speaker 1: Something, whatever it is. Well, later that week, Rabbi Lewis agrees to let Alex retake the history test, and so his teammates help him study, suggesting he dribble a ball while he memorizes facts since he's so good at remembering and analyzing plays in the court. This also made no sense to me because if he was a bad student, they wouldn't be surprised that he got a C minus and his grades wouldn't be slipping because of basketball. So it means he's actually a good student and wouldn't need his friend's help to have them study for the test.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's more so about.
Speaker 1: I mean again, if he got to C minus and his grades were slipping, that means he's a B B plus student, So then why the hell of his friends need to help him study?
Speaker 2: So yes, so I think what the main reason was was to have the team rally again, like rally for him and be there to help him get his grade back up. That's what it seemed like to me.
Speaker 1: I mean that makes sense, but again, yeah, okay, I mean, and I get what they're doing, but it's like he's now then at the in the classroom pretending to bounce a basketball like he's a terrible student he's gonna remember, But he's not a terrible student. He's a good student who's grades are slipping, so yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay that that was an eye roll for me. I know, if he actually was sitting there bouncing, I think it would have been a little bit easier. But he was like, are you petting a dog?
Speaker 1: Or yeah, it would and then the rabbi is doing it behind him too. It was, yeah, that was a little I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't like.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree, I don't disagree. But while at practice, the team is still down from the loss. They don't even know why they'd play without Alex, but Lamont convinces him it's a team game, not just dependent on one player, and so TJ will work on his technical foul issue, Stick will work on his hook shot. Another teammate, Joker, works on his trash talk, and when he instructs another player to be the butt of the team for rebounds and missus plyin overhears this weird suggestion, and mun's often discussed because of course the word butt. Lamont also teaches the squad a new, quote unquote downtown version of the school song, and It's not good. Soon after Alex arrived in the coach's office with his now graded makeup test, he got a B plus he passed. He's ready to play. Lamont cuts practice short to go play one on one against a friend who's wearing a Raptor's jersey. This is probably a nod to their location at Toronto, but worth remembering they're supposed to be in Philly. At his next practice, Lamont breaks some bad news. They're gonna have to play in the tournament without him. That guy in the Raptor's jersey was his friend who plays in the NBA and now the Sixers, So why was not wearing a Raptors jersey? Call him for a ten day contract, saying, just saying, the kid, you know what I do. I play for the Sixers, so I'm gonna wear an opposing team's jersey. The kids are devastated, but deep down they're happy for him. Missus Klein enters and sees their sadness. Alex tries to reason with Lemot in the hallway, but coach says he kept his word. He said he'd be there until the Sixers reached out, and now they did. The two friends call each other selfish. Alex wants him to focus on coaching and his family, Lamont wanting the NBA to offer a big contract money to help help his family. Lamont says after the tournament he'd be back in the streets since this gig is seasonal and the Sixers tryout is a big break. Yes, it's a tryout for an NBA team.
Speaker 2: See you to go and do that, I'm sorry and I love you. Yes, I would. I will come back and visit at times on my off season. I will come back, but I gotta go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, let's figure something out. I'm a professional basketball play.
Speaker 2: It's not hard to see or think that a teenager at that courge would not. I would have a hard time seeing the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: Of course I get it, but yeah, but I don't. Everybody else has got to be like dude.
Speaker 2: I don't blame Lamont. You gotta go pissed. If you didn't, you gotta go.
Speaker 1: Of course. Alex rushes off to ask his mom if the school can hire Lamont as a full time coach, but she says it's not something she can recommend. She blames money and priorities, but it's obviously about Alex and basketball. She says. Lamont ditched his family to chase an on a achievable goal, and she thinks he's just a stranger. With Rabbi Lewis recounting the lessons of Judah Maccabee in his office, Alex realizes he can't imagine victory without his own Judah to lead the way. But Rabbi Lewis suggests that perhaps Judas's strength isn't something to look for in others, it's something to uncover within yourself. Maybe Alex doesn't need to find Judah, maybe he can be one. And that night, another candle is lit for Hankah and Alex continues to practice in the school gym. Coach Lamont catches him on his way out and you can see his decision still weighs heavy. And now's time for the Big Liberty Tournament at the Hebrew Academy. There's lots of fans in the stands now, and Alex is now doubling as a coach for game one. The Lions take control early and they chalk up wins in the first three games, finding themselves in the semifinals. We see this during a montage. Okay, stop everything right now. The whole point of this was that they had not won a game in nineteen games. They don't even address their first win. No, you just won for the first time in forever, and it's just thrown into a montage. We don't get oh my god, we just won a game. They won. They just won a game.
Speaker 2: Nothing telling you. I literally was like, I mean, I get it. They're keeping it pushing because this isn't the big game, right, but there's acknowledge to be a moment like we did it like this is I mean, you know, they went through it so fast.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: We get to that ninety minute mark if they had gone if they had just.
Speaker 1: Added one, I know, I know, but they that's the sea. I mean, you cut the I hate to say this, you cut the girl scenes out because she's not necessary. Yes, and I get why she's there, but they've done nothing with their story wise, so she really doesn't need to be there.
Speaker 2: You cut that out, or they cut her stuff to make it ninety.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then you jump, but then you have something we just won there looking at each other like we want a game. This is amazing. That was the whole point is they were a winless team that just won, and they blew past that like it was just part of a montage. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's because they were still wanting to kind of hold back that excitement for the final.
Speaker 1: But then they do another game where Alex is at the free throw line and he's got to sync the last two and that's not the last game either, So what are they holding back? It's like, why, what the hell is happening? They yeah, anyway, even when Alex has put on the line, like I just said, to shoot two free throws for the win with basically every character in the gym, from Rabbi Lewis to Tyler to missus Klein, he scores effortlessly and now they're going to the finals to face their art rivals, the Warriors, which again I get why they did it. But come on the next day, Alex's mom walks into her office to find Alex staring out the window. He lets her know they made the finals, because of course, she hasn't been at a single game nice and wonders why she doesn't trust him. He admits will be almost impossible to make the NBA, but he still wants her support. Valid She explains that when he became a man at his bar mits foot was also a step for her and letting go, and it's been difficult. She want him to explain what basketball means to him, and so he says, when the ball's in his hand, everything around him just disappears. His entire life is right there in that moment. It seems like maybe Cynthia is finally possibly starting to understand, but I still hate her. And then back at the borrow condo, coach Lamont is icing his knees, still pining over his family. When he calls home, he admits he's been doing some hard thinking and he has an idea. And now it's a very rainy day for the finals. It's once again a packed house with Rabbi Lewis handing out school hats and this is I thought was an opportunity that could they miss to have school yamakas, but whatever, and then the Lions take the court while performing an absolutely unhinged synchronized dance to a dradal rap song. They made the Drado dradl drade song into a rap song. It's up there with the camp rock amphitheater move. So if anyone out there enjoys making memes, well there you go. That one's on us. Sabrina. I mean, legally, we have to ask because of our contract with iHeart, you're our resident dance expert by the Graham kidding, iHeart has nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: I don't know where you go like, that's not in this.
Speaker 1: Scrit it's not at all. How where their dance moves it was.
Speaker 2: This was the most ridiculous. I was belly laughing, like the entire the song was so bad, and here it comes from normal, like out of nowhere. Up to this point, I was it was mainly just what like a you know, background noise up to this point, any kind of music that they've played, right, nothing stuck out, wasn't any It wasn't a part of the DCOM, which a lot of times we do feel like it's almost a big part of the DCOM is the style of style, trace and all of that. This was out of nowhere, the most ridiculous song, the most ridiculous scene. I had no idea what I was watching, why it was happening to us, Why did this have to happen. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 2: Why and these poor kids doing it like, oh no, one looked comfortable. I can't imagine. It was comfortable on set, like it just was like why why why? Yeah, why, it's a basketball movie. Then no way did we need this, No nor want it. No, take it back, take it back, take it back.
Speaker 1: It was so weird. And again when I started to listening to the song, I was like, oh, it's dradl dradl dradell. I made you want to clay as a rap song. Yes, and then they're dancers. It was like, ooh, these are not.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was not. You could have cut that and that would have given you plenty of time to then enjoy your win. There you go, there you go. Yeah, mister Simowitz gives the Lions some pregame praise, reminding us of their original terrible coach, and now here it is Warriors versus Lion. We get a bit of a flashback to the battle in Israel we saw at the beginning of the movie, and we know this is going to be a good one. And over at Alex's mom's office, because she's still not at the championship game, she's with Julie, who's apparently still in the shadow program. They're rushing out of the office to make the game okay. There we go, so at least they're going, but there's one thing that Cynthia has to do first. And speaking of the game, the lines are unfortunately down twelve early Tyler and their warriors are as good as advertised. Alex spots Julian in the stand. She's holding a sign that reads Miracles can happen, and I shouldn't even be in this movie, and then I'll that's not what the sign says. It just says miracles can happen. And then almost like miracles can happen, thunder and lightning storms up and ramps up. Outside we're transported to what is supposed to be the first Union Center of Philadelphia, but it's definitely not because they're filming in Canada. It's after a Sixers game and a visiting player is signing an autograph for a young fan. Cynthia pulls up in her card asks if she's seen Lamont. The player suggests looking inside, but she has one question for the random six foot nine pro. What would he say to a fourteen year old five foot tall kid who wants to play in the NBA? He answers sign him up. He's a big dreamer. She smiles and gets an autograph for Alex and.
Speaker 2: We're still wondering where the security guards are for security?
Speaker 1: This guy actually was Was he an actual basketball player?
Speaker 2: The guy on the card, That's what I was thinking. Was he Doctor J. Doctor J is that was on the card is a real NBA player.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm passive because I'm letting you. I'm letting you. Did you freeze again? Are you asking me if Julius Irving doctor J is a real basketball player? Yes, yes, yes, doctor AULI. Yes, he's arguably, well not arguably, he's one of the best players that's ever played the game and one of the most Doctor J.
Speaker 2: He's not been in any of the documentaries that I've watched in basketball. They've never brought this guy up.
Speaker 1: So you know Magic Johnson is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know who Magic Johnson is.
Speaker 1: He played with doctor J. It was the two of them. They were like Kobe and Shaq. Oh wow, yeah he was. He was the man. He was at Lisa, I don't watch basketball much and I even know who he is. Thank you, producer, Lisa. Doctor J. He's doctor J. Okay, So this guy wasn't him?
Speaker 2: Clearly?
Speaker 1: No? No, again, that's the the seventies and the eighties is when Doctor j played Okay, okay, And now back to reality. We are back in the gym. The Lions are now down eighteen and the storm is getting much worse. And that's when the electricity goes out in the gymnasium. That's how I'm gonna say it. Meanwhile, back at the fake First Union Center, which is what we're calling it, she finally tracks down Lamott, who's tending to his van now with the smoking engine. He says the car won't start and he's gotten rushed to the airport. He just had the engine fixed, so this doesn't make any sense, but Cynthia thinks it does. She asked him to try the engine again, and this time it does start. We're in the midst of what appears to be a divine intervention for a mid level high school basketball tournament in philadelp God certainly works in mysterious ways. Back at school, the staff is trying to get the power back on. If they can't resume the game, the Warriors will be crowned champions. But then an alternative is suggested. They could start the emergency generator and play until the fuel runs out, which, upon further investigation would be very quick. The school decides that no matter how much time is on the official clock, when the generator does run out, whoever's winning gets the trophy, which is an absolute stupid decision considering the Lions are getting blown out. This makes no sense.
Speaker 2: It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Hate it.
Speaker 2: I hate the worst idea ever.
Speaker 1: Yep. But yet both teams agree and the power is temporarily back on with no idea how much is left. Mister Simmowitz is left in charge of the generator outside and the game resumes, which leads me to believe or not believe, but think, Okay, we've got a generator that's running out of fuel. Go get more fuel. You're in the middle of Philadelphia. You're probably three minutes from a gas station. Go get more fuel.
Speaker 2: Right, What is this like? Specific few? I mean, I know zero. I know nothing about a doctor basketball, I know zero about generators.
Speaker 1: See, it's either a regular gas or a diesel generator, in which case you go a gas station, you fill it up, fill up your stuff, and then you go. And it's also it's you know, I get what they're doing. Of course it's supposed to mirror Hanika and the maccabees. Of course I understand that, but address the fact that everything's closed. There's no power, so none of the gas stations are working something because it's like, you stay here, I'm gonna run and go get more fuel. That's it. Yes, that's it. Phone a friend, Yes, exactly. So it's not a good it's yeah right, I'd like to lifeline please, because it wasn't it's not a good idea to let them play when they're down by eighteen, and it's not a good idea to just not go get more fuel. But I get what they're doing right anyway. Like I said, mister Simowitz is left in charge and the generator outside, and the game resumes. The Lion's going to run quickly, cutting the lead to ten while the lights glitch sporadically fighting through the outage. Outside, Mister Simowits watches the fuel disappear, and then he realizes something. He rushes inside the gym and calls a time out, which apparently that's something anyone can do, so the next time you're on an NBA game, try it. I'd like to see how that works. Simowitz huddles the team together and says, thanks to algebra, he's figure out exactly how much time the Generator has left. They have two minutes and forty five well now forty three seconds left, and they spend an awful lot of time doing this. As the time is running out, the Lions hustle back on court, knowing their time is short, and just when the play resumes, Tyler thinks on his toes and calls a timeout for the Warriors. Their game plan is to stall and run the Generator to death, which, let's be honest, is the mindset of a champion, right? Really is? The Lions think this isn't fair, and it's not fair. It's a game, that's how it works. There are five minutes left in the game clock, but less than a minute left of fuel, and now totally defeated, Alex takes the bench, so much for the miracle, and then a beam of light appears at the gym door. It's Coach Lamont. He wonders if the whole story about the maccabe's was made up? How did the light and the temples they miraculously lit for eight days? The boys don't want to hear fairy tales. With less than fifteen seconds of fuel left, but Alex almost possessed by the spirit of Judah, walks onto the court as the Warriors count down in the last ten seconds of light, and right on cue, the generator stops and the lights go out once again. The Warriors celebrate their win, but then just as quickly as it's turned off, despite having no fuel left, the generator starts again. The gym now shines with no explanation, just like the lights that inspired Hanukkah, and no one questions it. The game starts back up. The Glides continue the game with Lamont coaching again, getting them within six points. Mister Simwitz is still outside, totally confused by the fuellless generator. From the stands, missus Klein yell shakes some booty for little to no reason at all, and now Alex makes it a one point game fifty four to fifty three, but the Generator is struggling once again. With ten seconds left in the game clock, Cynthia enters the gym just as Alex gets the ball. You have to wonder what the hell took her so long. Anyway, Alex is perfectly defended and can't find a shot, so instead of just forcing it like he used to, he decides to trust his teammates and passes to Stick, who attempts his hook shot. While the ball travels to the hoop, the generator dies again and the lights go out. The score erupts and sparks, leaving only a light to see the ball go in the hoop. The Lions went at the buzzer, and in the celebration, we notice Julie has changed her sign. It now reads miracles do happen and I still don't belong in this movie. The Lions hold up their trophy as coach Lamon explains he was able to speed to the game because Cynthia took care of what he needed to do at the airport. It's revealed that Lamont's family is now in town, and this is all thanks to Cynthia that they're there, and that's obviously why she was late to the game, so it's nice that she cared more about another family than her own. As Lamont regnites, it's true. As Lamont reunites with his family, Cynthia says she plans on convincing Rabbi Lewis to hire Lamont as a full time coach. He admits he has a new dream. He has bad neees and a boy who needs his dad around. So East Hebrew is looking pretty good to him. The movie ends with Alex and his family shooting hoops with Lamontz family outside of Alex's house. We get some quick narration about Hanukkah and that's our movie. Look, hi, I'm everyone, and now are real reviews. I've got the five star this week, Sabrina, which I'm very happy about. It's from Perfect Dark zero fan and it says, hallelujah, I'm Christian and I love this movie. Hey there we go right on? All right, who do you got this week?
Speaker 2: I've got the one star by our friend I feel like we haven't had in a while.
Speaker 1: Md Noma's back unnamed.
Speaker 2: One star here. I don't get Jewish stuff. All right? Then, thank you.
Speaker 1: Right on the money. Thank you very much for you know, not only saying that but also not even writing your name down. What a weird review.
Speaker 2: Anyways, of your own time.
Speaker 1: It is your and our time as well. Now, thank you, nomad. So now we are two. Sabrina's favorite part and I already see where this is going. This is gonna be a tough week.
Speaker 2: I'm Jensen's not here today.
Speaker 1: I know we don't have producer Jensen here. Who's who's written up our our our feature. Who is going to be helping us this week?
Speaker 2: It's me?
Speaker 1: Okay, yay, So here we go. Our feature this week is called happy Hebrew to celebrate the inclusion of Judaism and Hanukkah in this week's d com. We have been given a Hebrew word, and for multiple choice options, we have to pick what it means three out of five wins. I am going to preface everything I say now by apologizing profusely for pronunciation. I'm sure I'm going to be getting all of these wrong, and I am so sorry. So here we go.
Speaker 2: Better better you than me, because I would absolutely butcher these. There's way I could.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have a much better success than I could have.
Speaker 1: The first one Producer Jensen wrote for us is not even part of the game. It's just to get us rolling, and it's be hatch latcha. I'm sure all that is wrong, but that apparently means good luck in Hebrew. And I again cannot apologize enough for my pronunciation. So here we go. Number one ah ah vah uh Java. I don't know if I'm saying that right. Is it a persistence B love or see you're welcome, go as c oh, I'm sorry? Or D slam dunk, which again we know it's not that A java. You're gonna say, see you're welcome. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna agree with you. I'm gonna say, see you're welcome.
Speaker 2: The answer is B love.
Speaker 1: Okay. Number two, this is gonna be a rough week. Number two, ma yim, ma yim. Is it a dream, B fire, seawater or D double dribble A dream. I'm gonna say it's.
Speaker 2: Seawater, it is cwater?
Speaker 1: Got one? Okay? Number three? Bay yeat, bay yeat? Is that a home? C car, C shoe or d alop?
Speaker 2: Do you think that any of these would be basketball?
Speaker 1: I don't think they have Jewish like they must. I mean, I imagine there's got to be Yiddish words for Hebrew, Yiddish words for basketball. I would imagine. I'm gonna say it's I'll go first this time. I'm gonna say it's a home.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with a home. Two It is a home. Yes, at least got one?
Speaker 1: I need I need one or two more to win. Number four yom y o h m yom. Again, I can just only apologize for how I'm sure I'm mispronouncing all of these. Is it a day, B night, C brunch or D free throw? Yom? Oh? Wait, oh wait, yeah, so I think that's the sort of like yom kippor is that the same kind of thing without mean night? I'm gonna say b night.
Speaker 2: I don't think that brunches is it?
Speaker 1: It's totally but I'm gonna say b night.
Speaker 2: It's a day, okay?
Speaker 1: Is that the same as you kipor? I wonder if that's how you started. And then number five is ave a ra ave ave ra, which is kind? Is that a clean a kind? See unhappy or de personal foul? You're saying be kind kind on five, I'm gonna say I'm gonna agree. I'm gonna say be kind.
Speaker 2: So you asked if there are any basketball terms in here.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen man way to go, producer Jensen. So we both what's the what's the the Hebrew word for lost? Because that's what we just did. Uh, can we do some sabrinas?
Speaker 2: C's Oh my gosh, okay, yes, one thing we didn't talk about at all. And I think it's worth just speaking on this kid was tiny compared to every one. What I guess this is sort of more of just like you know, obviously it's not hard to not see that, But what do you think the significance and the reason why? Do you really think it was just because that's the actor that they wanted. Do you feel like it was to help make Lamont look taller?
Speaker 1: I think it's probably a combination. It's supposed to be the actor and it's supposed to be the ultimate underdog story. So obviously the smaller he is because all of his friends.
Speaker 2: And then that that brings me to the next do you honestly feel like these kids look like they were in high school?
Speaker 1: See, it's funny I freshmen, Yeah, freshmen.
Speaker 2: I think could be freshman. He did it look like a freshman though. But then at the same time, and a seventh eighth.
Speaker 1: Grader, nobody in the school looked particularly older, you know what I mean? Like it all worked all the atmosphere and everybody all kind of looked the same age. Ringe. But had they made this middle school, it seemed like it would have been it would have made more sense. But yeah, because they did, they all looked younger.
Speaker 2: I agree, because and you don't really get into it because I felt like it was a junior high knowing that like not a lot of the decoms of this time were set in a high school. They were mainly you know, junior high, right, And then all of a sudden, they're starting talking about pre s A t's and I went, wait, right, and then it was like, oh, they're in high school. So that kind of just was a little like, I really honestly don't know. Another thing that talking about bringing up our our mom again is when she cooks like the fastest cooking of of an egg go it goes in there for five seconds and then goes on. First of all, you're supposed to toast eggos.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the point is she can't cook it all. So she puts it in the microwave for like ten seconds, and that's why he drops it.
Speaker 2: Likedk okay, yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: It was supposed to be that she literally can't even cook an eggo waffle.
Speaker 2: But it was like so fast and just like holy cow. Yeah, so all right, so they made that one and then two more things. His bed that he had in this movie was hilarious. It was like it looked like a cobble. I mean it was this the cobblestone bed post that was like round arched. It was like this castle looking I'm trying to go for like a temple, like if we're going back into like what the like, you know. The flashbacks kind of were like of something like that, but it was like the most absurd.
Speaker 1: Bed I didn't even notice.
Speaker 2: The last thing or well there's two more. Sorry again, the last thing is did you notice? And I don't know if I was just I rewatched it a couple of times trying to figure out what was going on. When Lamont is having like he's icing his knee, he's he's been playing or whatever, and then the phone. He's on the phone at one point and the words are, hey, sweetie, how are you doing? But it's a man's voice, but it's supposed to be his wife, but it was like literally it sounded like it was like it was like the So I wasn't sure if it was like him saying that, but the voiceover didn't connector but it was definitely a man's voice. But then he's answering to it, so like I don't know it was very confusing. I rewatched it a couple of times to figure out what was going on because it just popped out like so crazy. And then my last thing is when you go on Disney Plus, do you ever watched the trailer?
Speaker 1: But occasionally I did not watch this one, but occasionally I will do it.
Speaker 2: The trailer for this movie gives you really not a lot of insight on what's going to happen. It says, I forget what the little quick one sentence of you know, like ex basketball star right coaches a Jewish you know, rundown team type thing. That's what it was. And then the actual trailer is the scene of them helping him study. Oh that's weird, Okay, Like, so I watched that first, which I normally don't. I don't always. I don't always like see the trailer. I don't know if it's always.
Speaker 1: An option occasionally do it, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But I clicked on it and I was like, oh God, this is I'm not even like in it at all. Whatever, But it's just so funny because the trailer really doesn't say or show you anything. And the couple of trailers, even when I watched the Cheetah Girls trailer. It was like, that is the weirdest trailer because it's not and it's not even what was on the channel at the time to promote the movie either.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you know, I don't know how Disney does it, but in a lot of different film companies, the actual director or people involved with the film don't cut the trailer right. So occasionally they will if they're allowed to, but a lot of times they'll bring in a company or they'll do something else and it's like, that's the trailer you cut together. Yeah, so yeah, you never know who's doing it.
Speaker 2: But it's like, I feel like more often on the Disney Plus, so I don't know if they're just they're going back and doing it like Disney pluses, so it's just kind of like after the fact or whatever. But the trailers don't always make sense, So I'm going to be making sure there's a trailer I love that. I also sort of rate the trailers because this one made zero.
Speaker 1: This is a bad rate, big zero, big old Well, speaking of rating, it's our time to now rate our film. Uh, And I'm going to go with what that fan that I met at the convention says, I think we should do this week one will be the least and ten will be the most.
Speaker 2: Pamely because they suggested, well, yeah.
Speaker 1: They suggested it. It makes sense, and we're going to do that. It's our fan fan shout out of the week. I also think it's you are rating first this time. I think I rated first last time. Yes, and so now it's up to you and let's figure out how we want to rate this. Do you want to do one out of ten actors with initials, one out of ten pagers, sugar in video games, one out of ten sketchy vans, horse Radish fish, butts of the team, one out of ten borrowed condos, or one one out of ten miracle generators. I'm also gonna add one out of ten. Why don't you just go get some gases? How about you, Sabrina, which one do you want to pick this week?
Speaker 2: I think because it was such a triggering point for me, I gotta go a sketchy van.
Speaker 1: Good. I was hoping you would pick it. We are doing one out of ten sketchy vans again for our fan. One's gonna be the least and ten's gonna be the most. What do you got for us this week, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: This week you know again. After watching that trailer, I was like, Ugh, this is gonna be a snooze fest. I actually and again I said it before the like religious aspect hits you right at the front. Now, not knowing a lot about it, I was like, oh, I'm gonna learn quite a bit. And I did you got the dinner area, talked about the shot moods. Ye, yes, the you know, the Yamakas. There's certain things that we got. We got a little bit of that, like inspirational story with the Maccabees, and it was a good amount. It was balanced to me, along with a basketball right. And I love kids and sports movies. They're just fun to me. I think they're great, big dreams. I love it and I actually this movie wasn't one of my favorites, but it definitely wasn't at all even close to being a bad movie. Right. I actually ended up at the end going, hey, I actually really liked that movie.
Speaker 1: I was not.
Speaker 2: I did not have high hopes for it, and it actually was a good movie. I thought it was great. I thought the Lamont character was an awesome character. This didn't reinvent the wheel. You know, X Superstar comes back and helps. It's not a reinvention of a storyline, but I liked it. I thought that the twist of having the Hebrew culture was very cool and for me, a great way to kind of feel like I'm now interested and I'm actually probably gonna look into it and learn more. So I gave it this week a seven Sketchy Vans.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, I'm kind of right there with you. There was parts of this movie I did not like. It might have been ninety minutes on the dot, but it played longer to me. It seemed like it was a little longer than ninety minutes. There were some serious sound issues with this movie. There was a lot of adr, a lot of things that, you know, again sound wise, weren't great. The only female character that was even semi likable didn't even have to be in the movie, so the whole point of her being there made no sense. Poor girl, that's poor girl.
Speaker 2: Yes, and again, I just know too. If we had a chance to like interview her, she probably would say I had like a whole storyline that got cut.
Speaker 1: Or she'd be like I was in that movie. I don't even remember shooting this. I was there for a day and a half. I don't remember. So yeah, this this movie to me. I love Disney taking a swing. I love. I'm always a big fan of cultures that I don't know a whole lot about. Of course, then set wrapped up in that Disney kind of esque way. Agreed. I love the Lamont character, the acting. I thought all the acting was good. I did, so I'm kind of right there with you. I'm gonna give it a soft I would give it a hard six point five, but I'm gonna give it a soft seven as well, Sketchy Vanstch cause again, for you know, some of it didn't make sense, but a lot of these movies some of it doesn't make sense. But it's not, like I said, it's not a bad movie. We've seen way worse movies in this movie, way worse movies than this movie. So there you go. We are both gonna be at seven. Sketchy Vis, thank you so much for joining us this week on Magical Rewind. Our next movie will be a sci fi comedy from two thousand, all about clones. It's called The other Man and it stars our current Magical Rewind frontrunner for Best actor, the great and wonderful and honored to call him a friend, Andy Lawrence, it is available now. Okay, fun thing. I was about to say it's available to stream on Disney Plus. To get your homework done early, folks, but we literally found out as we were recording this specific podcast episode.
Speaker 2: It was wild that it happened that it pulled.
Speaker 1: Off of Disney Plus today or yesterday on September one. I'm throwing out the date there. It was literally pulled off a Disney Plus. But we've got so much planned for this. I'm not gonna let you in on too much, but we've got a lot planned for it, so we're sticking with it. So it is now on YouTube or Prime. But unfortunately for that, I think the first time in the history of our podcast, you gotta pay for it. So if it's a dollar ninety nine or whatever, send all of your bills to Sabrina Brian. She will be happy to take care of them. I am gonna be I'm gonna be making sure that she pays for my movie too. Andy Lawrence is worth a couple bucks, but man, if it's seventeen dollars, I'm just gonna fake my way through it. I'm kidding. Oh wait, I'm sorry. We'll be sci fi comedy from two thousand all ball clones, the other me. It's not the other man, the other me. Uh yeah, So again, get your homework done early, folks, But it's gonna cost you a little bit of money this time. And I apologize. We've never done that before. It will never happen again. And it literally happened as we were recording this specific episode. It has been pulled, so hey, uh, if you don't want to spend money on that, though, you can spend most of your time then on our other feed checking out the Magical Rewind interviews and trust me, there's a ton of them featuring some incredible decom legends. You can look them up and subscribe to it. It's Magical Rewind wherever you get your pods or your podcasts. And don't forget We've also got the wonderful mart Johnson getting Everybody's head in the game, Diving the wonderful, amazing high school musical because it's a beach party.
Speaker 2: No wait, that's Dance the Rocket one. This is get your head in the game. You gotta get your head in the game.
Speaker 1: You gotta strut. I know, I remember, I know them all.
Speaker 2: Carvin's like moments a shine, I love this one in him.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yes, exactly. Go check out Bart Johnson's new show, Get your Head in the Game as He rips Apart Deep Dives tell you everything you never thought you wanted to know, but absolutely needed to know about high school musical. It is pretty great and you can get that wherever you get your podcasts. For more info, of course, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. It's a little button on your phone. I found that out that like last week. It's really cool. Thanks everybody, We'll see you next time. Bye bye,