Speaker 1: You guys doing all right.
Speaker 2: Before we get on the recorders, they want into air any duty laundry.
Speaker 1: Shit, not great, man, it's not great. Miles and I haven't spoken off Mike in five years.
Speaker 2: Fuck, I know how that goes to. I so could sympathize with you on that.
Speaker 1: I'm not a fan of this guy. I fucking hate each other this guy, Yeah, he's not. We're basically we're the Galler brothers. We're the Gallagher brothers.
Speaker 3: This podcast is Oasis and I don't even know why we're here.
Speaker 1: Hello the Internet. Wol that's my best Liam Orden, Noel, I don't know. Hello. They whack on, tell the end none in a minute.
Speaker 4: Now, Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, sixty six episode.
Speaker 1: It's the production of iHeart Radios podcast We take Deep to Havenue American Shared Consciouences. It's a podcast with a YouTube channel. Who the hell's ever heard such a thing at Daily Zeitgey's pod on YouTube. But I don't think we have a new episode this week, but we got an old one and it was live, and that one was pretty easy. We were like, we should try a live episode. It's Jacquise, it's Miles we are in the studio together talking about smoking aft and a lot of Jesus stuff. For some reason, every time we do a video episode Jesus.
Speaker 3: I know it's funny because in the one with Blake you reference it's like why does this always happen? But that people don't realize people hadn't seen the Jack episode we did where it.
Speaker 1: All kicked off. Yeah, yeah, the Blake episode. We were talking about how like his he he claims that he was sacrificing by washing people's feet, but actually he he a freaking a freak from And in this one it's even worse stuff that my parents would be even more ashamed to actually be able to hear me and see me say. In this case, so glad to do that. It is Friday, November twenty ninth, twenty twenty four, remember day after Thanksgiving to everyone lick Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is, it is.
Speaker 1: It is time to get those deals.
Speaker 3: There's so many weird just things that are just the day after thing, Like obviously there's like buy Nothing Day like discourage mass consumption. Obviously Black Friday to encourage mass consumption.
Speaker 1: There's also you're welcome Giving Day. What the fuck is this it's basically just saying, hey, just say, why don't we all remember to say you're welcome today, which sounds like things are falling apart. If you know I said that, people don't say thank you. Okay, yeah, I'm a big welcome. Yeah, Yeah, you're welcome. Yes, you're to do it with someone they haven't even gone through yet. You're welcome. I'm not. I'm not going in there, but all right, you're welcome. You're welcome. Uh.
Speaker 3: It's also National Dative American Heritage Day. I think that's pretty important. National day of listening and National flossing Day. You got you got it all oral hygiene remembering, yeah, the absolute decimation of Indigenous people of America, and getting a fucking sick deal on a flat screen.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. The American way, the American Way. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Hot Frosty Stud. I'm gonna keep on fucking the snow man. That's dumb.
Speaker 5: I'm a get dick down by a carrot that comes. I want the ice dickle of the Hot Frosty Stud. Hot Frosty Stud.
Speaker 1: Courtesy A Christy. I'm a Gucci man on the discord one of the greats to ever do it. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray. It's Miles Gray AKA.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I feel my name is but but Miles of Gray.
Speaker 1: My name is Miles of Gray.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Hannah remicview Hannah's in a minute.
Speaker 1: Oh that is true about you asting what Sometimes you do feel like your name is Miles. Sometimes I do feel that way. Media handles. Yeah, I stayed in public. When I go to John Juice, name is this the year in two thousand and seventeen, We've got an AKA from Christy Amagucci Man and Hannah Amic viewing Disco. I know the ogs. I guess Discord got a salute around, but two of those oldest and finest.
Speaker 3: I was back in the Hannah Soultis era.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Miles, We're thrilled to be joined in our third teap one of our favorite guests. He co hosts the podcast The Worst Idea of All Time with Guy Montgomery. He's very funny, stand up comedian, TV writer, producer, chat show host. Welcome back to the show, the hilarious, the talented Tim bet Hello.
Speaker 2: I want to give myself a singing name, referencing intro as well.
Speaker 1: I want to beat the crew.
Speaker 2: Where's your tim bet?
Speaker 1: Where's your tim bet? That's Spiceman Jacks for everybody. Where's your tim bat? Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: That's not the first time we've started singing that song out loud because I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that basement checkstrack too. Well, now you will think of man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ed Zitron goes by. Where's your edge at?
Speaker 1: God? Damn it? Someone go to me? But where's your tim bet? I mean, yeah, surely I can claim the throne. Hold on, get him on the phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, your father. Yeah, I realized I saw that on social media. Congratulations to you.
Speaker 1: I think the last time you were on you were expecting and congratulations. Thank you so much. Good.
Speaker 2: I've got two one and seven months old and just got out of hospital. The other one has a broken leg. Who is like the house of a war zone.
Speaker 3: Oh no, how do you? How did what kind of kid follow? Did your kid have to break the leg?
Speaker 2: This sucks man trampoline, which is an old classic.
Speaker 1: But he didn't even fall off.
Speaker 2: There was just there was like half a dozen kids on there and an adult who now feels very bad. It wasn't me who equidently double bounced them, and it just like a like a ground shock up his leg and gave him a fracture.
Speaker 1: And now he's got this cask that goes the whole way up his leg. The double bounce was so power were full of broke his leg even without jumping. Without these there is but you know, yeah something yeah, candy canes at that point, Actually, what kind of what kind of litigation? Yeah, well, what's your uh what's your lawyer doing to uh sue that motherfuckerfect Jacob, I'm sorry, you're not in America.
Speaker 2: We're not We're not so bike crude as you you Yankees. We have a different system here.
Speaker 1: Brother would see that leg break and my eyes would turn into dollars signs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I would just tell like you stay down state, down state out, stay down state.
Speaker 1: You can't walk, You can't walk? Can the world we have?
Speaker 2: Your son gets a broken leg and you go yes, chang.
Speaker 1: Okay, spin in two dollars signs. I think daddy's gonna get twenty inch rims.
Speaker 2: This are pretty good. Well, I'm real it sucks and for real sucks. Yeah, with the broken leg you've got to carry them everywhere and they.
Speaker 1: Can't go to here anymore. Yeah, oh right, right, oh well that's brutal. And I'm sorry about you know, your youngest being in the hospital.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's it keeps happening. He's got it. It's just like bronchi elitis. Yeah, so it'll be sweet airs, but yeah, never.
Speaker 1: Goo the word. Yeah, some of the worst time my life. In the spirit of.
Speaker 2: You know, the day after Thanksgiving, I'm very thankful to have my beautiful boys. It is very anchoring when the world, you know, it gets a little crazy. Just look at these two little kids. You're like, you fuckers are so cute, you know.
Speaker 3: It's just truly, I find myself doing that so much nowadays. I'm saying looking at a monitor and I'm like, you're so peaceful you sleep there, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna do whatever I gotta do. I'm gonna do whatever I gotta do, exactly.
Speaker 2: Ignore everything happening outside of these walls.
Speaker 1: Right right, there's more in a lazy river with my six year old and eight year old just chasing them around. It was a fucking blast. Jack. That is a postcard, guys, And I'm already one virgin Pina Colada deep so in my voice.
Speaker 3: But all that sugar jack, your skin, be careful you get simples.
Speaker 1: You and my dad, I think, are the only people who think that's true. Did I just do a dad, Yeah, that's one of my dad's things. It was like, yeah, I had terrible skin in high school because I was drinking all this soda pop. I'm like that right, that's why I think you were just in high school. Yeah, And it could just be your skin type. You were more fun to acne maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: Also was I got heaps of acany from alcohol and I didn't figure it out until I was like twenty five. But in New Zealand, you start drinking pretty young here, and I think it's a teenager. Really screwed me up, and then I hate to take a break on antibiotics or something in my skin clean up.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, true, Wow, it's boots. Was it the sugar and it was turning into in my body? Oh maybe it is the sugar. Goddamn. Yeah. All right, Tim, We're gonna get to know you a little bit better and ask you for more medical breakthroughs in a moment. But first, a couple of stories we're talking about. We're going to talk about the social media ban for children under what is it? Twelve sixteen in Australia. It feels like another thing that while the efficacy of the band might come into question, it does feel like a thing where it's like that is that country cares about their people more than the corporations that they do business with. It reminds me kind of reminds me of the gun buy back in a weird way. Not that weird, actually, just like, yeah, that's I guess that's what a government would do, right.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 1: Get rid of it. Right? Oh wait, but you can just do that? Wow? Can is the question? Yeah? Right, yeah, that is the question. We'll talk about it. We'll talk about dictionary dot com fumbling the word of the year again for twenty twenty four, all that plenty more. But first tim we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are? I googled what is a toady?
Speaker 2: Because I am so I'm in like a maximum dad zone at the moment and I just feel like I am disconnected from the culture. But toty is one of those things that's coming up a lot. My algorithm is delivering me talk show podcast where people accusing other people of being toadies. I'm seeing the odd CNN clip where people are talking about Trump totis.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, brand new, fresh term to answer my lexicon, So I had to google it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know what Google told me? It was you guys? Mustn't you guys know what it is? Obviously? I'm like to that, soundly did possum king that band? Yeah, that's kind of what my experience with the band that did pass some key. That's truly it. I think Rocket Yeah, or the cute Little Toads. It makes me feel a lot better about my ignorance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is this is the place to come to feel better about your ignorance for sure. Wait so yeah, just very inform us illuminate this for us.
Speaker 2: According to Google's Weird New AI version of Giving You Answers on ship, it is tody is a person who flatters or shows excessive respect to someone more important in order to gain their favor or help.
Speaker 1: The term is informal and disapproving. Ah. Yes, it's like a boot sucker. I think that's the word's been happening a lot in the US. Yeah, okay, but Tody's kind of a cute, cuter version of that. I think, like, yeah, what if boot Thrower was had more of like a studio jiebi vibe, you know, like.
Speaker 3: I know, and it completely like defangs the intent of calling someone that too, And it's like, yeah, a little Tody, you know, I'm gonna I'll sell out my values for like whatever, my own personal game.
Speaker 1: You know, it's true. It's too cute. I do love it. Yeah, and just makes me feel better about being a complete ass kisser who you know. I for one, I think we need to give this Trump administration a chance. We don't know, we don't know what if it's good. What if it's good? You guys, I mean, he's very rich. He must know what he's doing. I don't know. I'm trying. This is my best attempt at channeling a Trump Tody. Is that what they said? Yeah, she's he's smarter than you. If you were smart, you'd have a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: The Tody play right now surely is trying to get a carved out from the tariff.
Speaker 1: And you take Graff's coming in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I sort of like had uh briefly looked into this yesterday. It seems like the players this seems like an absolutely cataclysmically stupid bit of economic policy. For what it actually is is giving the administration and ability to pick and choose winners, like to an intense degree, because if they can select specific companies to have have an exclusion or a carve out, it's it's like they're just tipping the scales. So it blows my mind that these are the you know, formerly the free market flag waivers, because it's just this huge distortion, complete distortion of market so that they can pick it's inevitable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that very embrace of just free market capitalism leads to the stage of it we're like, oh, I guess now it's not working from oh well, yeah, gets you pick, yeah market because thats made sketches made the Trump shoe and therefore they're the only shoes it's gonna cost under seven hundred dollars in the United States from now on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome to the free market, baby. There's that I mean.
Speaker 3: And there's also just like all the economic instability that it provides to you know again for the same reason, right, because if certain businesses or industries go down. It's right for the picking. For the oligarchy too.
Speaker 1: For us.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, the oligarchy, the tities with the little rock sex over their shoulders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all you need is a ten million dollar buy in to have dinner once at mar A Lago, and then you know you're good.
Speaker 3: You can own our telecoms industry.
Speaker 1: If you want care, do whatever you want. Truly, ah, it is it's like we hear about what like how Russia got the way it is today, and it was like the breakup of the Soviet Union, and they just had like these coupons that were like all right, ten of these coupons and you have like the entire gas industry ten of these coupons, and like the you would have the ability, and they like sent people in like at a time when nobody understood the power of the coupons and like even had people like dress up as like you know, unhused people are like drifters and we're like, yeah, i'll buy that off you for like twenty dollars, and then they like consolidated all the power. It really feels like we're in that moment in America where it's just gonna except it's like not with none of the fun you know, dress up of that story. Instead, it's just gonna be rich businessmen paying to eat dinner with Donald Trump and then owning giant chunks of the US economy.
Speaker 2: I have to put this on the record, you guys. I know, I know times are tough and things are pretty blank. I got a lot of faith in you guys as country. I think, yeah, like things are going to be difficult and shitty and a lot of people are going to be effected. But I listen, man, America is a crazy place, and one of my favorite things about it is what a patchwork it is. And I don't this is what I love about US elections, Like it's impossible to hack them because they're so fucking patchwork and so decentralized and everyone is just doing completely their own thing that it actually makes it really difficult to commit like a network wide wholesale election fraud style thing. It's the same with your whole country, man, Like, she's just gonna get tricky for four years. But just by virtue of you guys being such a great collection of messy bitches, I've got full faith you're going to come out the other side of it.
Speaker 3: It's going to be hard to get everyone in line, because I mean, like even in there's already infighting with like wings of the Republican Party where people who wanted Trump out, Like this guy's gonna fucking try and take over the Like I add my own fucking goals of being godhead, like what So, I mean that's the one thing and count on, we're really good at getting pissed off.
Speaker 1: So we'll see, we'll see how that manifests in the long term.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was nice to hear that assessment from the outside because every.
Speaker 2: Every American I've met in real life has been a good person. This is like I think, you know, the media will constantly throw you like the very worst people. Oh well they're not just an American thing, obviously, that's the kind of the news's job. But like I just got back from Vegas. Everyone I met fantastic, from the uber driver, take a drug dealer to the croupier, just stand up people through and through.
Speaker 1: Well, you're hanging out with the best professions, right, It's true. Yea, the Golden Trio can't go wrong with Vegas drug dealers. What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: The current search for u APS, a completely non political, potentially human uniting quest to see if we're alone in the universe.
Speaker 1: That has gotten really fricking interesting the last few years. Whereas you on your like do you because we are fans, were interested, but I also don't really know where we stand, like in terms of you do you believe that? Did you believe like the David Grunt testimony at the.
Speaker 2: David Grush I actually do believe him. Like he's just the and I've seen long form interviews with him and stuff. He's just the right level of I think he like I'm not saying this is light whatsoever. I think he possibly has set himself with a friend of his has said he's kind of slightly autistic in a way where you can really trust him because he very much values detail and the truth, and like that guy really seems to be an incredibly trustworthy source of what he's saying. Lou Alexander, I don't know what the fuck that guy's dealers.
Speaker 1: That guys.
Speaker 2: I smell a rat there's something.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it seems like his endgame is like we need bigger guns to shoot the alien.
Speaker 2: And there's a thing, right, Lou Alexander if people don't know he's one of the sort of foremost people who's been blowing the lead on the current UAP phenomenon and bringing these documents to beer and talking to Congress and stuff. But I think this is the same with Grush, but the seem something grubbier about it with Alexander that everything he sees has to get approved by the Department of Defense. And I'm like, well, then why are they telling us this, Like they don't generally they're not big fans of just full disclosure and transparency. Usually they have an agenda behind releasing information like that. So I don't know Grush, I'm a grush boy. I'm a grush girl. I don't know what his groupies are called. Grush group Yeah networks, Yeah, I mean it's grush.
Speaker 1: That guy rue social hair is the main reason I distrusted, But go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, No, I mean I think with all this, like I'm I'm in that thing. We're like, bro, I need us to not be alone, like.
Speaker 6: I need this, I need this, but I also need to believe needed these motherfucken here now.
Speaker 3: But I guess the thing that I'm like, like everything, it's like I just give us some modicum of hard evidence, please, Like I just I I'm willing, I'm willing. I just need a little bit, just a little something.
Speaker 2: You got to tune in brother. The Tic TACs, the TIC take video from like three years ago. There was, of course in all these military the Fisher's coming out saying like we've got it on right eye. I saw this thing with my own two eyes. That thing doesn't fly like anything that sort of obeys the laws of physics.
Speaker 1: It's fast writing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's the other part where it's like when we're talking about like, well we have non biologics that non humanlog yeah, non human biologics and those technologies or whatever, and talking about like this global potential network of crash recovery groups and how they send that technology to governments.
Speaker 7: Like just give me a fuck something. Just give me a fucking uniform, like a little badge from that shit. Just something a little bit more, because I think that's where most like, I think it just sort of ends with the Tic TAC videos, and that's certainly enough for me to be like, holy shit, what.
Speaker 1: But now I'm like, what's the sort of next phase of disclosure? And then when I hear all the people, all the theories of do they can't you just take care to drop all that right now, dude. I mean they gave that part too, but but really, can I just make with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't make sense that we have alien bodies like there just seems like too big a deal to possibly be true, that we've just got alien bodies somewhere, Like.
Speaker 1: Hasn't done a press conference with one of them. Yeah, there's no way he would be able to keep the lid on that.
Speaker 2: Well, they wouldn't endorse him, so he's cut them off right exactly.
Speaker 3: But I mean, so, but what do you think because Grush did say that he's like, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Seen them, but I know people that have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alexander, I think sort of walked right up to the line of saying he's basically seen them.
Speaker 1: I think, right, yeah, him too.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to see him toote that we all want.
Speaker 1: To I want to look at I'll be cool about it. I'll be cool.
Speaker 2: I think it's underrated as it's just like there's there's so much hectic ship that's a bummer at the moment, and this is just like a very hopefully will remaining be remaining a politically neutral, exciting possibility that we can just kind of like, okay, okay, okay, I can just I know climate change is real and democracy is over, and but can I can I just think about the aliens while I smoke a joint for like thirty minutes a little for my I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, Bro, I would love to smoke a joint with a alien.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean now we're talking about bro. Maybe you go, oh shit, B I didn't know you like to get wet this isp PCP my man.
Speaker 2: Like when they sent Dennis Rodman to North Korea, Snoop Snoop Dog will be our representative of Earth to Alphastin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, that makes perfect sense to me. Yeah, and I think that's who they would pick. They'd be like, hey, can we take us to your actually Snoop dogg Right, we just get we send some like accomplished like Astronomer and they're like, do you know Snoop Dog? We love that song? Drop it like it's hot.
Speaker 3: It just hit our airwaves from twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to smoke a joint with Neil Degrass Tyson, but I would with Snoop dogg No.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, No, he's a bummer, total bummer. I feel like he would just start asking you what you thought of him in various ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you have any cousins cousins?
Speaker 2: So well, you guys, this is interesting to me because I didn't know it was any I've always I've felt a little I've got mixed feelings about that dude.
Speaker 1: He gives off an interesting vibe. I feel like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't fuck with Neil maybe as a figure first of all, as a like he's apparently you know, as a person, yeah, and then also just his gener like there's a there's a fine line between people who bring additional scientific insight that makes the world more interesting and people who are just fucking haters and are just like no, no, actually, and he like just doesn't seem to have a very good instinct for making things more interesting instead, Yeah, just is there to like kind of quote back things that sound smart, or like point out things that are wrong. And it just I don't know, I'm like, what are you in it for? Then? Man, Like, why why are you? Why are we even here if you're not like on fire to like make space and science more interesting to people, What are you even doing here other than just trying to like corner the market, And like sometimes I feel like he does that, but a lot of the time it just feels like he's just trying to point out when shit is wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd never put my finger on it before, but it's like an own the Libs style of scientific education.
Speaker 1: Owned. He just shows up laces as a big stamp opened. You've been degrassed. Yeah, Neil degrass. Tyson's punch out the worst any scam. Let's uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back, We'll do your overrated. We'll do a couple of stories and we're back and Tim, we do like to ask our guests, as you might know, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: I had picked this before and now I think it's too much of Obama. But I'm going to bring it up because my brain is so sleep deprived. I can't like conjure new ideas right now, but just austerity. And you say we've got this new, well they're not that new anymore. We've got this government that's made of three right wing parties and they've basically just brought in austerity to try and fix the economy which was flailing, and surprise, it's made it way fucking worse.
Speaker 1: Trying to balance the governmental the government's economy, trying to government like treat the government like it's a household buddy, doesn't work exactly. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, have you guys even met an actual macroeconomist in your life? But it's because it's convenient for them to parrot this line that you know, it makes some intrinsic sense to people like, you know, we got we've got to balance the budgets, like you can't. You kind of don't, and you kind of like shouldn't go too hard that way because everyone will get boned. And at the moment in New Zealand, like everyone is getting boned. Obviously everyone had inflation after COVID and that's what they've used as cover to bring in all of these new policies. They're firing everyone from the public sea, they're like they're just slashing whole departments. Our healthcare system, which is pretty bad to begin with, is just getting absolutely.
Speaker 1: Torn apart and it sucks.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mentioned earlier, I've got a little kid who's just in hospital, and like, you know, there's things that we take for granted in New Zealand which make life so good, but they're kind of invisible until they go away or the cracks start to appear.
Speaker 1: I'm just worried that we forget that.
Speaker 2: You know, those were pretty hard won fights from a long time ago that brought us like great centralized nationalized health care, for example, And there has been from like the moment that the national government who are in charge now were campaigning, a lot of people were saying, here's what they're going to do. They're going to come and they're going to slash the healthcare system. Then they're going to use all the bad stats that come from the fact that it's massively understaffed to just advertising the healthcare system. And even like I love a good conspiracy theory, I just telling you guys about how much I'm fucking rooting for the aliens to be real. But even there, I was like, you know, you, let's hear them out, give them a chance. This feels like you're, you know, rabbid left wingers who you know, have formulated this opinion before the people have even got in and the policies have had a chance to come in. I am now utterly convinced those people are right. Like it is just it is horrible to watch in real time, this sort of slow moving train crash of the different sect. There's especially a healthcare system in New Zealand as a result of austerity.
Speaker 1: So austerity, I'm putting the timbat stamp on it. Oh fuck out of here. You have been niled a grass. Yeah, it is frustrating, Like I didn't want the left to always be right about everything. It fucking sucks. Yeah, it just turns out they are very frustrating and then it just turns out they are and never ever credit for it because nobody it's the one thing that nobody can get rich off of. Yeah, but yeah, it sounds like you're in the future. You're in our future.
Speaker 2: Time wise, and yeah, exactly politico economically as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I feel like we're not far off from like New York Times op eds. I'm like Margaret Thatcher did in fact save the UK economy and oh yeah, whoa. It is feeling Yeah, it is feeling like they're gonna mainstream austerity too, because that's a huge thing that there's like Americans are going to have to feel some pain, so we can hoover up more wealth up to the.
Speaker 2: Type what's amazing as well as how they're like because they can't use the word the word austerity now because everyone knows it doesn't work and it's awful and it just creates like wholesale human suffering for everyone who isn't at the very top. So they useing this different terminology and language now. But I think maybe this is something that's about time, physical responsibility. All these smistic words that mean we're going to slash core services that service the working class and then we're going to privatize stuff because that will make us and our buddies rich. But I think we need to like whack that label back onto what's happening to just make people have a really clear picture of what's going on. That kind of fight over language, man, it's unfortunately also kind of important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, mediation, this sounds good right with Warren g Regulation, that's regulations. Nobody likes regulations. We need regulations, right, Regulations are cool and you need to exist for that's what the is about. Now, that's what Candler's campaign should have done. That's right. Regulator, that's a protection bureau where you at Yeah, yeah, you're late. You should have listened to us when we said regularly, I mean that bos and fly. You know that that's the West Coast in me. It's the West Coast in me. You know. It feels like something that would have happened in the eighties, Like the Democratic Party of the eighties would have put.
Speaker 2: Out Bill Clinton on sex and fine while.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, he's just like his cat is called socks and has a video game.
Speaker 3: Don't look past them. That's all we need to know.
Speaker 9: And after who Yeah, all right, so let's talk about social media, man, because this feels aspirational to me, even though I get everybody being like, how the fuck are you gonna make that work?
Speaker 1: Asshole? My answer to it? So, all right, Australia is on the verge of passing a ban on social media for people under age sixteen. There's a lot of people wondering how that's good, how they're gonna make that work. This ap article gives most of its word count to objections to Critics also argue the band would isolate children, deprive them of positive aspects of social media, drive children to the dark web, make children too young for social media, reluctant to report harms they encountered and take away incentives for platforms to make online spaces safer. And I don't know, Like I guess when you on the read the question, how am I, how are we going to like figure this out or like implement that. That's not my fucking problem. That's the problem of the social media companies, Like they made a product that is super fucking dangerous to the point that the only so that last point about like platform, well, there's no incentives for platforms to make online spaces safer. What a veiled threat like fucking dangerous selling guns on here? They have already do. They have so much incentive to make their products safer that it's existed for over a decade. And the only time I've ever heard of any tech executive doing anything to keep a kid safer on their platform is that they all ban their own kids from using them. That's the only thing that they they all, like never heard any any tech executive be like, yeah, but my kids use our product and we think it's good. They're all like to a person like, no, of course, I wouldn't let my help use this my kid to go into a that. But they don't do ship to make the product like as is, the current product does not work. It is harming people. I get that a like blanket ban under a certain age group might be like a blunt instrument that doesn't Like I don't have all the answers, but like I do like that the law is just like they they're gonna have to figure it out in the next they have a year to figure it out, and then we're gonna start finding the shit out of them. It was like, great, yeah, they can. They can go fuck themselves, like that's they they made the dangerous product. They can figure it out.
Speaker 2: You might have made a believer out of me, Jack, because I've been following this story and I'm sort of like, I hate to say the word both sides, but I have sort of been seeing both sides of this thing. It's it's kind of tricky, right because You're right, like the the intent of it is fantastic, and I read like one of the biggest things in my head around my two boys is just like how do I get them offline as much as humanly possible? Like how do I just mainline sports into them? And I'm not a sports guy, but I'm like, that is the only way that I can think of, that guarantees they're not going to be holding you know, like a or something in their handed.
Speaker 1: All that at all times. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But on the flip side of this, right, so they're bringing this federal law which means that if you're under sixteen, you're not allowed to be on social media, which is great, but it is tricky because then it goes, well, now we have to prove everybody's age in Australia on the internet, which is going to like fundamentally change how the internet works. And I'm thirty one of my thirty seven so and I've been like an online kid my whole life. So I've seen this sort of mutation of the Internet being a space where it was originally kind of a bit niche and anonymous, and now it's completely mainstream and sort of decreasingly anonymous, which is sort of good for discourse because it means people can't just come and say whatever the fuck they want without any accountability, but it does there's privacy concerns. And the thing that I just can't square in my head is that governments generally are really bad at like tech policy, and this will be a deeply technical things. So I looked into this law last week because I do a tech commentary segment on our version of like, what do you call it? Not PBS, what's your like State Broadcasts? Yeahs Radio New Zealand is what it's called. And so I looked into the law and it turns out that technically SMS text messaging like falls under their current legal definition of social media. So if people are under sixteen, they would be as the law, you know, as currently proposed, they would be banned from texting. But also we then have to prove the age of everyone who has access to a device that can do SEMs text messaging. So it's just like, it's the intent fantastic. The devil is in the detail, and it's going to be like such a fucking hard thing for the Australian government, which is filled with the oldest, dumbest people alive, to figure out how to prepare age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a second place.
Speaker 3: But we're also like exporting the dumb shit to Australia because you start seeing the people in Australia parroting the stuff of the republic.
Speaker 1: Like, oh god, this crap.
Speaker 2: It's one of the saddest things that's happened in New Zealand. I've always got a litmus test for people in New Zealand they see commenting online if you use the word patriot, you're just some fucking Fox News.
Speaker 1: We don't say patriot in.
Speaker 2: New Zealand because we've got this beautiful thing called tall Poppy syndrome where we bully the shit out of each other if you express any like pride for yourself.
Speaker 1: Or your country.
Speaker 2: And sure it gives us like a depression epidemic, but it also really tamps down on nationalism and right wing sentiment because no one can fully rally around the flag. So if anyone describes themselves as a patriot in New Zealand, I know that's a red flag that they're just like mainlining American right wing news content. The other thing this with this Lord that was weird to watch is that it's been championed by News Corp, which I'm pretty sure is the Rupert Murdoch joint. And so I'm also like, there's a little bit of follow the money with this with me.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, they're like we get access to like everybody's person like will have to like everybody will have to have like some sort of like online id that like follows them around the Internet and I'll make advertising like more effective for people over sixteen or something. It totally might be there.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping it's just a ven data because all the social media and netbooks have taken all of the advertising money out of you know, rupid, Murdock's.
Speaker 1: Newspapers and stuff. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I'm sorry, sorry, Jake. This should be a thing that we're just like finally some good fucking news.
Speaker 1: These are like complicating factors that I can't wait to see how the tech industry figures out. And you know, like they they have a fucking money gun to their head and it's like in a year figure this shit out. Like I don't know, I don't know. I think a big reason that tech policy is so shitty is because they are the US, and I don't know, like how much lobbying is the thing in like Australia and other countries, but like they are by far the biggest lot. You know, we think of like fossil fuel industries as like the number one lobbying industry. It's tech. Tech is the reason crypto. Yeah, tech and crypto are like pouring so much money and have been for so long that it's easy to just like we're now at a place where we're just like, yeah, the government can't solve all these tech problems. We have to lean on the oligarchs to solve them. And it's just like, no, they're not going to without any like without somebody forcing their hand. Yeah, So yeah, I mean, it's it is.
Speaker 3: It's hard because you know, the genie is out of the bottle at this point. So I'm not sure that just bang, like I just vaporize it for kids under sixteen is the answer, because I've been sixteen and people told me I couldn't get shit. You know how quick I got that shit. Like it's just part of the experience of being like a younger person is like, oh, you can't have this, Like yeah, all right, more on that later, asshole. Watch the fucking get five of these things.
Speaker 2: Even the Australian lawmakers who would bring this in have been championing the bill, have said they're like fully away because all it's going to take is a VPN, which is like the easiest, cheapest thing to implanting on a device. But they've said, look, we know that what we're basically trying to do is give pearents as much ammunition as possible to say like, no, I can't help you make an account. No, Like you know, you don't need an iPhone sixteen pro Max this year to sit on Instagram and tektok all the time.
Speaker 1: The fancy schools are banning smartphones like that's again it's yeah, like a bunch of like Eaten in the UK and stuff are banning smartphones like kids they're giving and they that in privately slipphones and then private schools in the US. So we did that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you Zealand ban cell phones and high schools. I feel like I should know that.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, like, like to your point, Jack, is like all of the emphasis needs to be on these social media companies to get their shit together in terms of like content moderation and how it's being served and who they decide to serve content to and all the algorithms and shit, Because I think one of the things when you look at all those studies about like what Instagram has done to young people, it's like it's all about like unrealistic body expectations or unrealistic lifestyle expectations and those kinds of things, and that sounds like a huge thing to tackle, right, Like, no one should have it. I mean, this is this calls for a much larger examination of like what is ailing a society too. But I think if there's also parts of that where you lean on that and you don't allow this kind of stuff to proliferate and be like the main thing kids see when they go on social media and give them an idea of what life is supposed to be like or look like or we're supposed to look like, that would be a huge benefit also.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I think like, because.
Speaker 3: Social media has become such an effective marketing tool, it's you know, once a way, I guess the bigger thing is like can we get the capital out of this thing? And then I don't know, that's that's that's a real that's that's a moment that I mean, it is long overdue, but I'm cynical in terms of thinking that that's gonna happen. So yeah, maybe it just needs to be some of these sort of chaotic things to eventually arrived there. But yeah, it's it's definitely it's it's we all know it's bad, and all the options aren't optimal, but there's clear there will be a combination of these things that I feel like you can actually reduce the harm that you know that kids experiencing these apps and fucking it adults.
Speaker 2: It is cool to doing it, Like it's bad ass and it's crazy.
Speaker 1: You know in some ways that it's.
Speaker 2: Australia like a super you know, Western relatively big, you know, rich country is actually standing up to the platforms going nah.
Speaker 1: There's this this.
Speaker 2: Interesting can't called Jaron Lanier, who's kind of known as like one of the founders of virtual reality. He's this technologist and he's invented a bunch of stuff and he's sort of like a techno philosopher in some ways, Like he talks a lot about the effect that technology has on society, and he talks about this fear that he has where everyone is on social media so much now and the effects are so damaging, but there are so few people now that aren't on social media we can't measure the effect of it yetmore so, like we don't have a control group to look at how humans normally act when they're not online.
Speaker 1: And so like it's quinite.
Speaker 2: It is cool that Australia, like a country as big and developed and wealthy that it is is kind of going to do this experiment on behalf of the world and go all right, we're just going to fucking say no one under sixteen on here, and we're going to try and figure it out and we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I personally, I think blaming all the mental health crisis that's happening with young people entirely on social media is probably not right. I think that involves a lot of just we've talked before, these kids are watching the grown ups that they're supposed to admire and you know, look up to just ignore climate change and be like, I don't know, man, it's your fucking problem. So, like I think they have, like are going through a uniquely fucked up, like existential experience of having a existential threat to humanity and like watching the people who are in charge of the world just completely ignore it, and it's one that's going to like make their lives really fucked up for decades and decades. I feel like that is wildly underrated. But I do think that these technologies, like having marketing this deeply infused into your day to day life is a powerful, you know, way that people are robbed of their free will like every day and specifically kids, and yeah, just fucking anything, do it like that. This seems obviously and clearly the right thing to do because it is fucking something like that's what all like, that's all that is the bar that I'm asking somebody to clear here is just do fucking something. Yeah, it's like seeing like a boulder come down a hill and they're like, should we should we stop?
Speaker 10: It's like, dude, put a fucking refrigerator in front of him, Let's see if it stops it and just something You're gonna still learn something.
Speaker 1: We're like, all right, the refrigerator did not stop the boulder. What else you got? Blow it up? Whatever, But you gotta don't just do the thing like what am I gonna do with that?
Speaker 3: And yeah, that energy is not that is not the way we're going to solve these sort of existential problems we're all having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take a quick break, we'll be right back. And we're back. And it is that time of the year where new stories have to be written in advance as journalists go on vacation, and so the dictionaries of the world come together and give them a little a nice little layup with by naming a bunch of words of the year or a new words that we're adding to the dictionary this year. And they're hit and miss, you know, like Miriam Webster like hits hits sometimes with like one, it's like yeah, oh yeah, that that's so weird. That wasn't a word this time last year, and now it's like in the lexicon.
Speaker 3: I think was authentic was there Webster's ditch word of the year, But.
Speaker 1: We knew about authentic before, but that one was number two. But riz riz is like a word that's I can't stop here. I love as young people are just telling me I've got it constantly everywhere I go. But I feel like the one thing we can count on is Dictionary dot Com is going to fuck it up. So last year their word of the year was hallucinate, as in AI hallucinates, okay, which is bullshit, Like that's that's AI is not hallucinating. AI is just making ship up because it's wrong, because it's bad technology, and it's just they just like chose a like buzzword used by AI marketers to try and like spice up what there how their AI fucks up to be like trying to use that in your job when you fuck up and see if you don't get fired. And sorry, hallucinating like a motherfucker. I crashed the folk left. I was hallucinating. Why how would I need to get into the y Yeah, I mean every time your auto correct like puts the wrong word in, call that a hallucination like that, because that's essentially all the AI is doing. It's just being programmed incorrectly and like pointing in the wrong direction and making things. I mean, really, what it is is AI is designed to give you an answer, whether it has the right answer or not, and so it will make one up. Anyways, this year, dictionary dot Com went with demure as the word of the Year for twenty twenty. Before I like the video that used demure, I haven't enjoyed a single reference, like a single person being like this is very demure, like in reference to that video right now, it just was immediately like nobody's like really used it in a fun way. It sucked right away. I feel like, yeah, it's it's it's fine, like whatever, Like you're just saying like that was a cool moment on TikTok. But then it's also a thing where now, like you, a lot of us are like, dude.
Speaker 3: Stop fucking saying that, like shit is cooked already, Like we're done. That's why I guess hallucinate is better and more because it's referencing something that is gonna affect all of us and even if they're not, you know, sort of interrogating that in a more meaningful way.
Speaker 1: The word is hallucinate.
Speaker 3: Whereas again when you look at oh, you said, oh, of course, yeah, I understand the trans girlies love and demure because I know the creator of that. There was a whole thing I remember because the IP got stolen and there's all this drama who can use demure and all this other shit. But the thing with like you look at like just other words of the year that feel that they encapsulate things they feel. I don't know, I guess who that part of me is, Like, why do I even give a fuck? The world's fucking ending, man, and we're talking about demuror because in shitification was the I don't know. I've never heard of this dictionary, probably because I'm American. The Macquarie Dictionaries Word of the Year.
Speaker 1: Christ was Squary, the guy who wrote Usual Suspects.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yes, is in shitification. But it's also interesting the honorable mention. One of the honorable mentions is raw dogging, So maybe we always do need to reference something from social media as our word of the year.
Speaker 1: I'll I'll take yeah, raw dog.
Speaker 3: But even then I'm even dubious about people that are actually raw dogging flights. I know there are some people who literally don't need anything, but so many people were posted ship like.
Speaker 1: Y I just raw dog the whole flight, the fucking Berlin fam.
Speaker 2: No you didn't wait, did sorry? Did one of the dictionaries leaned its hift of word of the year to rule dogging or was it like a.
Speaker 3: Finalist that was from a queries? Yeah, that was a honorable mentions outside and gittification word of the year, right to disconnect and raw dogging.
Speaker 1: We're honorable, man. Yeah, it's basically a word for sobriety.
Speaker 2: I feel like, well, let's be real, raw dogging is having six without a condom on, Like that's what that is, what that comes from.
Speaker 1: I'm nindlining, you know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Dictionary, the aid Square poindexters at the Dictionary, you know what we fucked too raw dogging.
Speaker 1: Will we're actually cool guys and we go to parties. Yeah, yeah, well look we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 3: We don't still don't know Webster's word of the Year.
Speaker 1: And we'll cover it a year and review of the years and review articles that we do at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Did you were the were the youths of New Zealand using demur a lot?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously a social media has created such a global culture.
Speaker 1: But yeah, did you hear?
Speaker 2: Definitely head of Miment, I produce two queer podcasts basically, and yeah, Demure had had a big moment. But it's like culture moves so quickly. Now, these memes like move through the population. They go, they hit so big and they're there for about three afternoons and then it's on to the next thing, which does make it tricky. You know, if you're going to start leaning into internet culture to determine your word of the year, it's like dog shit is going way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's what I'm like. It just immediately felt like a fifty five year old magazine editor was like, all right, you need to get me five headlines with demure in it. Like every time I saw it used after the initial video was just just felt like people trying to fucking fit it in and like having no familiarity with the culture and like how how it was being used just felt like el city.
Speaker 2: Can I throw something up at you guys and you can, like feel free to you cut this right, yeah if you want. I just like, I think the whole the hikoy thing in the treaty moment we're having in New Zealand at the moment, if we were I would feel bad to not at least float the balloon to talk about that as a dude from New Zealand with the audience that you guys have, And I'm not very like super well versed on it, but I just think it's such a crazy important thing that's happening at the moment, and if you guys wanted a little sort of information on the ground about.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, I would love to hear about how it feels in New Zealand right now, and yeah, just what's happening.
Speaker 3: But Tim, I do want to ask because in America we get very narrow sort of depictions of what is happening outside of the US, especially if it's intersecting with things like indigenous culture. But I know a few weeks ago, or maybe it was last week now, at this point, time flies so slow and fast. At the same time, I think a lot of people on the internet were like, yo, they're doing the hakka like in parliament in New Zealand, and.
Speaker 1: Most of the discourse sort of ends like that, shit's sick. Me looks at it, like looking at.
Speaker 3: Like a broader historical context, the terms of colonialism stuff, and like this is amazing and also heartbreak, like what can you just sort of break that down for our audience as well, because I don't want everybody to He was like, that's sick. They just did the hawk gun and everything is okay because that's one hundred percent for most of us hundred tuned in. It sort of came across I'm glad that you asked about this.
Speaker 2: It is such an incredible moment to be living through, like as a New Zealander and Altro and New Zealand at the moment. So a bit of back story with this. There is a guy called David Seymour who is the leader of a right wing libertarian party here called Act and he is this very weird guy who has just stuck around and been funded by very rich people. I don't know if you guys have talked about the Atlas network before, which is like this super capitalized right wing media and political network that exists around the world.
Speaker 1: You've got a couple of you got quite a few, but basically all libertarians are so well funded, and it's.
Speaker 2: Always it's always these like super opaque, invisible trust situations where the funders are hidden from public view, and these public interest groups just pop up and they've got like incredibly slick advertising and they employ like fifty people even though no one votes for them. In New Zealand, it's like, where the fuck you guys getting your money? And a lot of really good journalists have dug around and tried to figure that out, and I think the short answer is billionaires from America mainly. So this guy, David Seymour has proposed essentially to lay down in law some different definitions of the Treaty of White Toungy. The Treaty of White Toungy is the legal document that is sort of the foundational document of New Zealand that was signed in eighteen forty. It is the legal basis for white people such as myself to sort of be in this country which had the sovereignty of was looked after by the Mildi people, who are the indigenous people here in New Zealand. So when Europeans started coming here, British people came here, there was a lot of terrible shit that they were doing. They're basically like criminals and causing a lot of trouble, and they kept coming and so a lot of the Ewe, which Ebi is the.
Speaker 1: Name for a tribe like a Maori tribe, so.
Speaker 2: They kind of came together and they were like, hey, you guys got to sort your shit out, like we will allow you to form a governmental structure in New Zealand because you need to sort all of these trouble making British people out who are like drunks and thieves and starting violence and raping our women and all this sort of stuff. So there is two versions of this document. There is the English language version, the Treaty of Waitangi, and then there is the Malori language version, which is Teterariti. The definitions, as you could probably guess, in the two with the language that are used, are quite different. So we've got a problem here. We've got this one document which is supposed to mean the same thing but in two languages, which actually means quite different things and guarantees different rights and responsibilities to each party.
Speaker 1: And there has.
Speaker 2: Been a long, storied, slow productive sort of march of progress of people over the many decades since we've had like real low points in our national history trying to deal.
Speaker 1: With this issue.
Speaker 2: But there's from about nineteen seventy, which was when there was a resurgence of Maori language in New Zealand. So Maori have their own language, Terreo, and it got beaten out of them at school, like they could not use it by dint of violence. There was a resurgence of that that started in seventies which has started a real revitalization of the culture and the whole Maori worldview, which is like being this really beautiful and kind of world leading indigenous movement and a real beacon of hope to other Indigenous people around the world. And like most Kiwis really embraced this, Like average Kiwis really embrace this thing.
Speaker 1: They love it.
Speaker 2: Of course it's got its detractors and stuff at the right fringes in particular, but like it's been a really beautiful, slow moving sort of journey towards how we get this thing together. Anyhow, This politician, David Seymour, Libertarian, really well funded by overseas donors, has managed to just by sticking around and taking slings and arrows over the years. He's now the Deputy Prime Minister of New Zealand and this weird coalition right when government that we've got, and he has proposed a bell which all the other parties said, we're not going to like endorse this whatsoever, but he's got a first reading of it which would try to redefine basically the terms of the treaty. And it has been one of the proudest moments of my New Zealand life to just see every Maori group and all of their allies come together and just say, not on your fucking life, dog, now, we've made way too much progress for you to come in here and fuck this shit up. So there was a what's called a hekoy, which is a peaceful walk that went like what is this I think is about eight hundred kilometers from Auckland to Wellington and they even started further north, so they did this huge mark much down the country where they gained tens of thousands of people along the way to come to the to the seat of power at Parliament and go nah. And then you've seen like the hakker that was in parliament, TJ. Perinado, who's an all Black, he did a very specific Haucker targeted around this issue during an all Blacks game recently, and there's just been it's against France, yes, yeah, yeah, that's right, right, and it's Italy maybe Italy actually Italy match It's I would implore people to kind of, if you've got the time and inclination, dig into this issue because I think New Zealand could act is a real beacon for how other countries could try and deal with this. We're by no means perfect, obviously, but I think just there has been a genuine, concerned effort in my lifetime for us to try and figure out how to live together and sort of enrich the Maori culture and also like help this sustain oppressed people who are represented terribly in all the statistics you would expect, like health and imprisonment and education and stuff, because we fucking beat the shit out of them and took their language away and their land away and all of this stuff is guess what, there's implications of that down the line.
Speaker 1: And my fear at the moment is that this story is.
Speaker 2: Bubbled up on the world stage a bit and it's kind of drawn the attention of all these right wing you know, sort of man o sphere podcast types where they just see the surface level and I've already seen like just little glimpses of the commentary on that, and like, fuck, that's such a It feels to me such a dangerous thing that these guys with massive platforms who have zero context for what's actually going on on the ground here, just making these flippant comments. There's one there's an interview in particular which like I don't know if it'll translate super well if you don't have New Zealand context, but a guy called Jack Tame, who's one of our journalists for TV New Zealand here, interviewed David Seymour last week and kind of dismantled his argument pretty well.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 2: He was like, if you've got an agreement between two parties, isn't it completely unjust that one of the parties, which is the government, gets to completely redefine the terms of it just ed its behest. Yeah, so it's an interesting moment to be living through. And yeah, I think David Seymour has underestimated just how much he's like kept the hornet's nest here, right, which is.
Speaker 1: Kind of cool to see. Yeah, I mean I think.
Speaker 3: I mean, like the one article I read that was like an on from nbcnews dot Com was just so like devoid of details. It was just kind of like they're talking about renegosh or redefining a contract to the certain support without really kind of drilling into the humanity of it and the history of it, because that's what's so important. And I think for an American audience, who obviously has its own terribly sordid history with how the government was interacting with Indigenous people, it's like a like unfathomable like that they're like wow, because the way this there was no treaty or anything. This was just merely like reforced relocation. And now we're saying, well, like, you know, you want to be your own coruntry, then don't ask us for help, and here you go, and we'll turn our backs on you and then wonder why things are falling apart, and yeah, I'm I'm always very heartened when I see how just how different our cultures are in that respect. And yeah, I mean I there is something to that that I would hope could be like something inspirational. But how are these like chud dudes trying to sort of hijack the conversation around.
Speaker 1: It's will that the manisphere has sided with like a politician who went on Dancing with the Stars and Dats Moore and like not the all black like you know, Rugby. It's like any credibility, any claim, like where there America is like having this crisis in media where they're like, how do we attract men like and be like more manly to attract and it's like it has nothing to do it. They just want to be fucking racist. They're just like that. Yeah, so much of it is just them looking for a fucking excuse to be fucking racist pieces of shit and like it has nothing to do Like if if ever there was an opportunity for them to be like, okay, which is the cooler, more manosphere thing, right, I think it would be citing with the Maori, not a hundred billionaire libertarians.
Speaker 2: The thing is that the other side of this is like, isn't it sort of part of you know, testosterone fuel man culture to be against the man, Like all your archetypes and heroes supposed to be the guy who's like going against the system and defending you know, the down trodden. There is I don't think there could be a more stark example right now in New Zealand then the interest that David Seymour is representing and the molded people who are like just standing proud and strong and developing their own systems to enshrine their culture and their language and their rights you know that were given to of them not that long ago in a legal fucking document, which is the whole reason why white people are here in New Zealand. Like, surely they are there if you're looking for those kind of comic book style superhero archetypes, like you got one steering you in the face. But unfortunately, yeah, you would have to probably let go of a bit of your racism and intense kind of right wing libertarian economic political view, which is what a lot of this boils down to. And that's kind of the bit that I find exciting is what is good for maldi is good for everyone.
Speaker 1: Like it is. It is.
Speaker 2: It is stewarding the environment. It's like a deep connection and protection of the environment in saying like we need to protect the water that we fucking drink and the wildlife that lives in the environment that we inhabit, and the whole concept of land ownership, Like I know this is a common story with indigenous people around the world, but it's just like, what are you talking about. It's you don't own land.
Speaker 1: You fucko.
Speaker 2: You walk around on it and you kind of you can like take resources from it to sustain yourself, but reasonless extraction and stuff is just so antithetical to the Maori worldview by and large. And I always I don't want to get too out in front of my skis. I'm not Maori, so I don't want to represent the whole multi worldview. But it's a cool thing to watch as the New Zealander at the moment the pushback because it has been bigger and broader and louder than expected, and it is kind of nice to see around the world, even though it's drawing the attention of these right wing podcast dudes. The bulk of things that I'm seeing as well, like on read it and they're going, this looks fucking what's going on your parliament?
Speaker 1: Dude? That looks cool?
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, I mean yeah, it is interesting to see how I think it makes sense though, the two that like in the manisphere, they only respect sort of like violence and absolute power, so they would eventually suicide with colonizers to be like, well, you know, they got colonized.
Speaker 1: It is what it is exactly, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's what's kind of that's that's something that I think. I mean, I hope to see sort of that sentiment change. But the one thing that it feels like is becoming a theme more and more is like you get these sort of right wingers really get gassed up on their own bullshit and then they're like, oh not everyone thinks like this, and it's actually getting a massive response. Those are the kinds of things, and like we need to keep our eyes on because I think at the moment we're in this country, a lot of people are not sure what to do about anything, and summer just like do I just retreat to comfort?
Speaker 1: Do I just keep my head down? And I think a big thing is going to be about making yourself, like making it be known where you stand and what you stand for at a much deeper level. But that bridge will be crossed fairly shortly. Yeah, well put man, all right, Well, Tim, such a pleasure having you on the show, and I such a funny comedian and I just about how are we gonna not but how are we not going to talk about it? You know what I mean? That's just the thing.
Speaker 2: It is a thing to feel optimistic about. I think it's a cool thing.
Speaker 3: And we have to know, we have to be aware of our surroundings at a minimum, at a minimum. You know, sometimes it's not funny, but at the very least, we have to arm ourselves with the knowledge of what is happening around us at a minimum.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that. I like you guys. Yeah, and we like you. We love you, love as I love you that you specifically Okay, thank you. And this is this is the Joe Rogan of the left Ship. They need to be thinking about just guys love each other due this guy is so dope.
Speaker 3: I love this guy, man, This is so this is what I love about just international friendships, man, just being responsible towards each other.
Speaker 1: And I can't quite bring myself to get there and say I love you. We can say that as a man. I'm rooting for the rich guys who inherit. It looks like a guys in Dune who spend all their time floating in mudbounds to the Amazon.
Speaker 2: We'll find a shaman, will get you hooked up. We'll turn your whole wheeld around and you'll be You'll be peace and love.
Speaker 1: Exactly, man, exactly, dude, you're gonna let me in? Does it give me explosive diarrhea? Because now that's what I'm actually into that, that's what that's my friend, that's my question about everything. You need some of that? Yeah? Yeah, you lead with you're welcome. Every time you greet someone and ask immediately about anything. Does it give me explosive diarrhea? Uh? Tim? Where can people find you? Follow you here? You see you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I really feel like I'm retreating from the Internet at the moment, and I don't mind that at all. I've I was Instagram is a fun place to be for now until Elon musk By is that one too?
Speaker 1: Sure? So I don't even know what I am? What am? I?
Speaker 2: Tim underscore bat inst But you know what, just wait for me to come back to the daily guys find me exactly like Gandalf.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Oh, yes there is. I'll give a quick shout out sorry because it just came out. Till Death to Us Blat and Will podcast I'm part of where we watch Paul Blatmore Coop two. We just celebrated our tenth year. Myself and Guy Montgomery flew to Las Vegas to go to where the movie is set. The three guys in America, the McLeroy brothers that we do the podcast with, did not come to Vegas, so we flew fourteen hours to go on a zoom call effectively inside the Wind casino and hotel, which was great fun. So you can check out Till Death to Us Blat where if you get your podcasts. The piece of media I want to shout out on top of that, if I may, is a guy called I don't know if you guys have hit Andy Roussou. I think I'm probably saying his name is wrong. Yeah, and he's like beg on tech Talk. He's a young dude r O U Sso how would you say that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: You ralso Yeah, there's problem. This guy is just so sensationally funny he did, and particularly this one. I think you put it out a year ago, but it's new to me, where he talks about why Duncan suddenly has dry ass donuts and he's just got this beautiful, like sense of escalation. I'm going to spoil it for you because there's lots of great ones there, but it's like employee talking to the manager about like, why have we started making these fucking horrible dry ars donuts? And then the turners we've been developing them for NASA to use as a heat shield for this messile which is going to avoid this comic which is on course to destroy Earth. And then suddenly the employee has gone from incredibly you know, standing confused about these dry ass donuts to so proud that he's on the side that's trying to fight for humanity. And he's fucking hilarious. Man, He's he's yeah, he's very very funny, awesome miles.
Speaker 11: Where can people find you? Is there a working media you've been enjoying? Yeah, everywhere, everywhere, more more so on Blue Sky though at Miles of Gray. Pretty much find Jack and I in the basketball podcast when I was in jackott Man Boostie.
Speaker 3: You can find me talking ninety day fans for twenty Day Viance piece of media.
Speaker 1: Like nothing specific. I would just say, uh, you know, take if you if you have the time off on the weekend, just just honestly, just do watch something you love. Like, watch whatever movie you like you loved in your youth and you forgot about and you haven't seen it in fifteen years. Watch that ship. It's probably gonna suck, but I'm it's gonna hit your brain in weird ways. I just watched that movie Little Monsters recently with.
Speaker 3: Ben Savage and Howie Mandel, and I was like, gosh, yeah, I was like this ship. I was trying to get her majesty to watch, like this shit fucking goes and we watched them, like yo, what the fuck? But still it was like you kid, yeah, oh I loved it. I loved it, But it was more interesting to see how like you now look at things differently, but it's still had these like like these nostalgia endorphins hit my brain in a way I was not anticipating. So whatever that is for you, I encourage you to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I still have the geography of that world of the like under a world. Yeah yeah, very specific aesthetic of the little monsters. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Blue Sky, which I'm back in on after Janey Danger recent guest turned me onto this like starter pack of people to follow from Juniper dot Beer on on Blue Sky that has helped a lot. I highly recommend using that start to get Yeah, you'll get a you'll get a bunch of good follows, and then you'll stop getting all the all the the stuff that I was complaining about with regards to Blue Sky the other day. You can find me over there at Jack O b One on Blue Sky, Jack the Letter Oh, the Letter B the number one fucking twist, Jack Underscore O Brian on Twitter. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page on a website daily zeikeist dot com where we post our episodes into our footnotes look off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy miles with song. Do you think people might enjoy it? Oh?
Speaker 3: I would be completely irresponsible as someone from Los Angeles to not at least recommend I'm just the entirety of the GNX.
Speaker 1: Album, the new Kendrick Lamar album.
Speaker 3: If you've listened to this show this last week, and whether it was this show or even on Mad Boosties where Blake and I and Jabbari couldn't stop saying.
Speaker 1: Peeable, peekaboo, peekaboo. Uh look, get in on it.
Speaker 3: At the very least check out peekapoo, and then you can get in on the renaissance, the revolution that is happening where we you know, asking what they talk about, they time on they about anyway, get in on that. My recommendation, Peekaboo, Kendrick Lamar have a great one.
Speaker 1: Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey. That's also in that song. All right, we'll link off to that in the footnotes. The Dailies Geist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning and this week we're back on Monday. Monday. We'll also I have the Greatest Hits compilation on Saturday, the Weekly Guys, which you can check out if you met somebody game this week, and we will talk to you on Monday to tell you what was trending over the long weekend. We'll talk to y'all then Bye.