Speaker 1: That I think is what happens in January for a lot of people with their new yous resolutions. I'm gonna throw everything at the wall, and then you're two weeks in and you're like, oh, I'm so tired. I hate this. I'm ordering a pizza. I love pizza. I love pizza.
Speaker 2: More Better, More Better, Hi, and welcome to More Better, a podcast where we stop pretending to have it all together and embrace the journey of becoming a little more better.
Speaker 3: Every day, or at least trying to. That's most of a merrow, and that's Stephanie Beatrice. Welcome back, Yeah, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We are doing the pod. Here, we are talking to you. How are you, mel I am great for the most part. No, I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm working. I'm in Atlanta happy. You know, it's great all being productive. I'm like on the go. I'm always feeling good when I'm like.
Speaker 1: One on the go, like a little cartoon, Melissa, just like on a little hamster wheel. Just I don't know why I always think of a working girl when I hear on the go. On the go, I think I'm so addressed.
Speaker 3: In like an eighties business a pencil shirt. I've got a clipboard. Yeah, white tennis on noise. Got my white tennis noise noise.
Speaker 1: Checking things off. Okay, I like doing. I'm okay, yeah, yeah, you know I'm getting my life together a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love a new year. I love a new year, you know. I love a I love a new Year's resolutions moment, which is like what we're going to talk about today. But like I feel like when I when I start to get my life together, I feel ready to take on new things. It's usually like when I actually give myself time to breathe, whether that's like a day or two or a couple of weeks, Like, yeah, I feel like I'm starting to Yeah. I mean like like I'm sitting in my office, which like I never do, primarily because for a long time it was my guest room. And now it's like gonna be in office and it's like, look like look behind me right there. Yeah. One of the first illustrations they ever did of Mirabelle from in Gunhal. Oh. That's sweet. And they gave it to me at Disney and I'm gonna, like I need to reframe it, but I'm gonna hang it I'm very picky about my frames. It has to be like a white or a like a gold. I'm very picky. I'm very picky about my frames. I shop even for my frames. Oh that does not surprise me. No, but you are very good at aesthetics. So thank you.
Speaker 3: Whenever I redo my kitchen, you will be involved in the process.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I can't wait. But I love that. I like.
Speaker 3: Having I feel like this came from something and I can't remember what because I've done it for so long, but I read something a long long time ago that it's like really good energy to have your work career successes sort of displayed in a space like usually an office, to have a space that reminds you of all the great things you've done or the high points the successes, especially when you're feeling low or you're feeling uninspired. And I always try to make sure our office has that. And we just moved the boys, so their room became our new office, and we bought a new desk, which was great. It's got all these like you know, it's one of those kind of hutch sort of big desks, shelves and stuff, and we put you know, some like Awards on the very top of it, and we hung some things on the wall, and I realized, like, uh, for David that that Power when he was on Power, they gave him this really cool framed thing of his character with the name and like something else from the show, and it's it's beautiful, and we just like, for some reason, never hung it up, and I was like, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: I was like, we have to hang this up.
Speaker 3: And he's like, oh, it's so old, and I was like, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You were on a great show and you did a great job. This should be on the wall. I would have all those pictures of me walking those runways in Paris framed up and down my house. Do you know what, Seth, I want to fucking do that. I'm usual fucking frames. I'm a couple of them.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous pictures of him were gorgeous incredibles from like any of your campaigns, and like, yeah, on a.
Speaker 4: Race, on a freaking you know, fashion house campaign, like walking out walking walking for them like often in the show for them, that's something that I'm going.
Speaker 1: To do the dream about and he's done it multiple times. He's got to put those up somewhere. Yeah, I'm going to do that? Is that for me? I would like get those printed on flyers and hand them to people when they walked into my house. I'd be like, here's just so you know what you're walking into. This is me for door. Yeah, yeah, no, I agree. I think it's like a good thing to have a space where, even if it's a small space, you know, like a little space where you don't hide away those things.
Speaker 3: It could be a shout out, it could be what yeah, just like little moments you're proud of, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if it's picture.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be professional. It can be no too. But I just think that I feel good when I go in there, you know what I mean. Like I go in there to like read scripts or study and stuff, and sometimes when I'm feeling alone, just like oh it's all gonna be fine, Like yeah, yeah, look what we've done.
Speaker 1: We've got it ditched. Yeah yeah I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The space is going to be that as soon as I get rid of all the clothes that I've called from my closet and give them a way to friends, which is happening today hopefully. Oh my god, I'm so mad that I'm not there.
Speaker 2: More better.
Speaker 1: It's funny that we're talking about this stuff because when this episode airs, it'll be the New Year, and our episode today is about New Year's resolutions, and we're kind of talking about stuff that we're gearing up for or like planning or getting rid of and like making way for. I think we're already sort of in that headspace, and that's kind of why we wanted to talk about it today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your relationship with New Year's resolutions?
Speaker 1: Do you do them? You know, I think they used to be for many a woman in this world. I think they used to be all about, like I'm gonna lose ten pounds, you know, Like, yeah, I think they all just used to be related to wait and like, so for a really long time, I had a bad relationship with them. It was either that I was engaging in that and I was like trying to get my you know, I'm gonna get a gym membership and I'm gonna take this so many classes a week and I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna eat this, and it's like that I always set myself up for failure in that way. I think now that I'm I've kind of come to terms with myself and my body in a different way, in a happier and healthy way, healthier way. I think about them now as like, I don't I'm not the kind of person it's like I'm gonna do bes ten things in the new year. It's more like these are some stuff. These are the things that I kind of want to get at in the new year. I don't know that I need to do them all by a certain date or like this year, I'm not eating cheese, you know, like I'm not setting myself up for failure by doing something like dumb like that. You know what about you? Yeah, I think similarly.
Speaker 3: I think I definitely went through phases where similarly, I, yeah, I've had kind of toxic stuff on my resolution's list that puts so much pressure, and then yeah, setting myself up for failure. And then I went through a phase where I just kind of of made the list more about like markers.
Speaker 1: I would love to hit throughout the year, Like I remember when I used to.
Speaker 3: When I still lived in New York and I used to fly out to LA for pilot season, and so like during those few years, a lot of times on MI New Year's resolution, I would put I just want to test for something. It wasn't about booking, it wasn't about you know, I want to I want to get a few calls. I want to hopefully get some good callbacks this year, and I would love to test for one project.
Speaker 1: Can you explain to listeners that might.
Speaker 3: So this is a little bit more back in the day that the model has sort of changed. But back in the day, there used to be more of a pilot season in from like mid January to mid late March, and it's when they would you would audition.
Speaker 1: For all the pilots that they had that.
Speaker 3: Year, and you know, some years you'd be busy.
Speaker 1: Some years you audition for like two.
Speaker 3: Pilots, you know, and then uh, if you get a callback, and then after the callback, you would go to do a screen test for the network and studio and that would look different my screen for every project.
Speaker 1: My screen test for Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Nine nine was just in a room with Dan and Mike and Andy and I think Phil and Chris.
Speaker 1: I can still see that room when I close my eye, I know. And it was a small.
Speaker 3: Room and they were just recording it to show the studio network later. I've also done a screen test where it was like in a small screening room on the lot and the whole audience was full of network executive.
Speaker 1: Nightmare, nightmare, night, hell, hell.
Speaker 3: And you had to stand there by yourself in front of them, and the reader was sitting in the front row and absolutely did your audition.
Speaker 1: What, yeah, that sounds so I've run the game. You tell me that show is not is not even on air anymore. And it didn't even like.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it lasted long either, and then yeah, such a or the pilot and sometimes it gets picked up, sometimes it doesn't, but they used to do.
Speaker 1: A lot more of them. Yeah, So the thing for you was like I want to hit this thing. I'm trying to hit this marker, just.
Speaker 3: Trying to hit this marker, you know, and sometimes it wouldn't happen, but it was like having that sort of aspirational and it wasn't I never put I want to book, I want to book a pilot.
Speaker 1: I want to book a you know.
Speaker 3: It was like I want to work this year, I want to make money as an actor hopefully this year, and I want to test for a pilot. And I had a few years where like I hit that that marker.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't book the pilots, but I did test.
Speaker 3: And then it just, yeah, it became more about like sort of I guess longer term things for the year, like I love putting, Like I want to go on a great trip this year, you know, like something that's in the future. Yeah, because I find with like the the things you have to like hit the ground running in January, like you're just setting yourself up for failure, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: If it's like I.
Speaker 3: Want to meditate every day for fifteen minutes, oh my god, you know, it's like it's too much.
Speaker 1: It's too much pressure.
Speaker 3: I just try to like or I try to make it more like so anyway, what I'm saying is the long winded way of saying, like used to hate them and hate the pressure with them. And I think when I sort of shifted to just more like what are some things I would love to have happen this year, or what are some things I'm working on now that I want to keep working on or keep like remind myself to be more better at yeare and you know, to keep the train moving feels better to me and less pressure and more like little gold posts.
Speaker 1: You know that I.
Speaker 3: Don't have to like immediately attack and make happen in January, right.
Speaker 2: More better, more better.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that has changed a lot. I mean, as we're talking about this, I'm realizing when I was younger, it was like this has to happen, and now it's much more. I don't necessarily always do New Year's resolutions because the whole year I'm kind of like manifesting like not to use a wooa word, but manifesting what I want to have happen in my life and how I want to feel when those things are happening, you know, Like yeah, and so much of of stuff for me lately is how do I want to feel when I'm doing it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, cause you can have Let's say you are like my new Year's resolution is to like make more money. It's like, okay, cool, so but what if you're like miserable while you're making that money. I mean, obviously you can be non miserable when you spend in it, but like you know what I mean, Like or like if your new Year's resolution is like I want to lose ten pounds, like okay, well you could do that in a way that's going to make you feel connected to your body and really happy inside yourself, or you could do it in a way that's really punishing and cruel and mean. And it's like so much of it for me lately is like how do I want to feel when I'm going after this thing, or when I'm holding this thing, or when I have this thing? How do I want to feel inside myself? And that isn't just for the New Year, It's more like for all the time. And it's a good reminder for myself. I mean, like I was already like, oh about today because I feel like I have so many things to do, but actually I can change that for myself right now, like how do I want to feel? You know, Like it's kind of great. I have some friends coming over later and like, you know, not for nothing. I spent the last couple of years being kind of like lonely. I think one of my not New Year's resolutions, but resolutions was like I want to make more friends, and like I'm starting to make them and that's kind of nice, you know. Or like later I have an event to go to and it's like I get to go to this thing, and like I get to dress up and have a fun time. And one of my friends reframe it. Yeah, I think it was my sister. She was like, oh, yeah, well, you know, for a lot of people, you what, like you get dressed up on prom, you get maybe really dressed up if you get married, and like if you marry someone or have a job that is kind of a fancier job, you go to like maybe a fancy gala once a year. But like we're really lucky we get to go to like stuff where we get to dress up and like, oh it's fun. You know, it's really fun. If I frame it in that way for myself, if I if I if I don't write, then I can sort of spin out and make it become this other thing. So much of it is like how am I holding the thing? Am I holding it? Is like a punishment for myself, like this new year, I have to do this, you know, or am I getting it? It's like holding it like these are some things that I want to achieve. These are the markers that I want to hit this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, It's so true, and it's and it's you know even with like the you know, the working out one that you brought up like I've I've done that, I've put that on the you know, resolution, and then you get to like the second or third week of January and you're completely like destroyed and you're like, I'm never working out again.
Speaker 1: Fuck this, you know.
Speaker 3: And then there's been the years where I've been like, Okay, I want to like incorporate more movement into my life, like you. The way you frame it, I think is so important, you know. And I've had years where I then am like I'm not I'm gonna go I'm gonna show up twice a week, twice a week.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna show up twice a week. And then the goal is in February or March, maybe I go to three times a week, you know, and like setting like long term markers for myself and starting out at a reasonable pace, yeah, to like incorporate.
Speaker 1: A new habit, you know.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like one year I was even that with cooking, you know, and I was like, I'm just gonna cook one extra meal a week. I'm going to try to just add one a week for a while, yeah, and then see how it goes. And then naturally you like do a little more, you know, it's like building I think habits, and like the initial intention is great, but like you really have to feel like think about how we frame.
Speaker 1: It in our minds and how we and plan out and approach. Yeah, well and that's the thing, right, Like U do you remember I don't know if you remember this or not when you when you had your children, but I remember reading in some book they were like, listen, you're the adrenaline is gonna make you feel like you can do anything, like the three days after that baby is born, you are gonna And I was like, I don't think I'll be tired. And I woke up the day after and I was like, I'm gonna make granola. And I made granola from scratch and like cleaned the house and was like, oh my god, a post baby is gonna be amazing for me. And then I crashed like two days later, but because I was like amped up on, like I can do it all, and like, yeah, that I think is what happens in January. For a lot of people with their New York's resolutions, they don't look at it, they don't break it down in an approachable way like you said. They go like I'm gonna throw everything at the wall, and then you're two weeks in and you're like, oh, I'm so tired. I hate this. I'm ordering a pizza. Pizza. Yeah. It's that that talk, right, Like I say, I can't stick to anything. I'm the worst. Yeah, yeah, you know that's worthless talk like meaning like it doesn't. It doesn't. It's not valuable for you to talk that way to yourself. We all do it, we all do it. Maybe that should be one of my newest resolutions is to not talk to myself that way. I'm getting better at it. What was the the thing that I just told us about, It was like the two week mark. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, second week in January.
Speaker 3: The second week in January is known as quitters Day. The second Friday in January is known as Quitter's Day, when people are most likely to throw the towel in on their resolutions. Brutal, so depressing, but also I think comforting and that like if that happens to you, you're not alone.
Speaker 1: You just need to reframe your approach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Like you tried to do too much, babe, tried to too much, did too much, babe, Just back up, back it up a little bit, back back it up, back it up a little bit, back it up, take a take a rest, rest.
Speaker 1: It out, honey, relax, yes, and then baby steps, little steps patience, do you like? I think that part of that is like people share their resolutions like on the internet, oh or with people, and there they feel like they have to they have to like show up or show up and show out right, like I don't tell I don't tell people what I'm working on. I also keep my manifestations private because like same evil eye, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't need to be telling people unless I trust all the lesson.
Speaker 3: There's time people lie because that's a very Latin thing.
Speaker 1: It's very it's it's just like it's Latin. It's like there's many men Mediterranean culture's South American, Central America like that. I think that almost all cultures, just like you don't want people listening to you and wishing bad on the thing that you want the most right because people's thoughts are powerful, good and bad. Your own thoughts growing like bad energy at you. No, I don't need that. So, like like you know, at these Hollywood parties, sometimes people be like, what are you working on? I'm like, oh, you know, just and that. You know, like I don't tell people unless I knew are them and like them. You're so good at that. I need to be better at that. I just pretend I'm not working at it all the time. I'm just like, you know, I have this thing coming out soon. I don't know when it's coming. It's like, you know, I just finished this, Like I don't need to tell me about anything else, Like I don't need I don't know you. I don't know you. I like you. I don't know who you know what I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what you're thinking of me when you got to know you very well.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, I'm I'm like wishing people well. I'm never wishing anyone ill except for that. We all know that one girl that's my arch nemesis that said that thing to me. If you don't if.
Speaker 3: You don't know, listen friend of the podcast episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I just evil eyes, like I think Greek culture. Also, my mom used to give me a little pin to wear with like a little poble eye on it and like keep inside my clothes to deflect the evil eye. She gave me one for ros too, when she was born to like pin inside her clothing, so like nobody saw. I think that the vibe is like no one sees the beautiful baby and says like y wish is ill on them? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And for Cubans it's a little black gem.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't.
Speaker 3: Know it, and it's a very popular baby gift when you get like and so got like three of them, see and you you either put it on your baby as jewelry or I got one that was like a little pin that I pinned to their cribs.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they were paid to their computed to their to colect the evil energy, the bad energy.
Speaker 3: Bad's usual off your that's a power baby.
Speaker 1: That's powerfulah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Four.
Speaker 1: So there was something that was really a big for twenty twenty four that was like not a New Year's resolution, but like in and out lists. Yes, in for twenty twenty four, out for twenty twenty twenty four. I want to read the ones that were twenty twenty four because I think I want to hear what you think. Okay, So this is what was out for twenty twenty four. Assigning morality to wait, I agree, weddings, no, no rude podcasts, rude. We started this one in four so I hope not oversharing for the sake of relatability. I buy that one. I buy that, I buy that one.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, for the sake of relatability, yes, like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oversharing period. I don't know. It still feels in me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, oversharing is subjective. I don't know like how you feel about I'm just gonna say that. Yeah, what's your version of oversharing?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yeah, I think it's kind of nice and refreshing when people are vulnerable or yeah, and great and oversharing something that they maybe wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Out filler injectables and words. Well, now they've figured out that like filler stays in your face basically forever. So tread carefully, you guys, tread carefully keeping up with people that you don't like. Yes, I agree with that. I don't want to come. I don't care. We don't need that exploiting and commodifying relationships. When was that in? Okay, when was that in? I don't know. Instant gratification is out. Uh no, I'm in a hard say this one hard disagree. I'm going to half agree.
Speaker 3: Because the opposite of that would be delayed gratification.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I think that that is something that we lack in this day and age, and it would be nice to bring that back.
Speaker 3: And as a harm, like you gotta wait for that gratification, you gotta wait for that hit a dopamine.
Speaker 1: Mandy Lee, a professional This is a New York Times article. By the way, Mandy Lee, a professional trend forecaster who's predicted the rise of phenomena like Indy Sleeves in Ballet Corps, also made an in and out list, which she posts on her instagt account. She said, it feels more like people's personal manifestation rather than what I think is what they actually think is going to be trending. I put doubled eggs on my in list because I made double eggs on nears. Do I think doubled eggs are going to be a resurgence? Have a resurgence? Honestly, maybe, but there's no data points. I love that, she said, the thing about manifestation. Yeah, I don't know what's on your Okay, make a quick in an outlist for the new year. If name three to five things that are in for twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty five for me personally, Yeah, because I will say I want to figo you or the culture, but you are the mere the culture forecast it. Okay, I'm going to say delayed gratification is in because I just said that. You just say yeah, and I feel good about that.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: I'll go in. I think in it's going to be a continuation of what people are calling like finding your personal style, so like continuing to oh I like that sort of go like what do I like to wear? What do I feel comfortable in? What communicates me when I put on clothes, as opposed to a feeling like I think we've seen for the last couple of years a lot of like dress like this, dress like this, dress like this, and it's like, yes, yes, sure if you want to dress like that, great, But I think that there's more and more, like little subcultures of like I want to dress like a J. Cree catalog. I want to pretend like I just came off of a runway. I want to look like, you know, my favorite drag queen.
Speaker 3: Like I think that the uniform every day, like you know what I mean means like, yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Think that there's more a continued movement towards like finding your own personal style, and not that that means like not looking like everybody else. Maybe it does mean like looking everybody like everybody else, if that's what you'd like, you know, like dressing what feels comfortable to you and how you feel best, your your most best self. Does that perhaps mean wearing your bear pap slippers all the time like I do? Yes? I think another trend is going to be these things that I freaking love, these like phone chains, especially for women. Yeah, Melissa's like, no, I would never thank you, no, thank you ever. Now let me just tell you. Let me tell you, Melissa, I'm going to get you one of these, and it's going to change your life. I'm not it's not going to be covered in jewelry like mine, but I will get you one, and you're gonna be like, oh my god, how did I ever live with without this? I can fish my phone out of my big old purse. I can find it, I can grab it in the car, I can have it around my wrist and like not feel like I'm gonna drop it. I don't have to carry a purse. I don't have to have pockets. It's great.
Speaker 3: Oh, I will say one that's out for me, or I guess in however, you want to freeze it out while let're in.
Speaker 1: I hate wallets out me too. Hey, I.
Speaker 3: Leaving your house with just your phone. Someone told me the other day that digital licenses might become a thing.
Speaker 1: That's terrifying me.
Speaker 3: It is a little terrifying to me because I'm like, how are they really going to do that? But I think they have it in Georgia already. Maybe that's where like somebody's showing me AI, Yeah, it's out. No, but in the sense that like even when you're driving, you don't necessarily have to have your physical driver's license on you. They just scan your eyeball and we're in They no, no, they can scan your phone the thing on your phone that you're that's like a state issued dang. But then also I'm like, people are going to hack that and like it's gonna be how are you going to make that secure? But I just like the idea of like not having especially as a woman. And I'm like, if if we ever get to a point where I could like leave my house with just my phone and like a lip gloss in my pocket like freedom. That feels like freedom to me. Yeah, that's real. That's so you're saying a purse in traveling light basically traveling light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: What I think is out out any kind of heel on a regular basis. I can I fucking I can't. I can't do you know what I love? And in the return of the Little Kitten Heel, I love a kitten heel. I just bought another. I just bought a pair of kittens.
Speaker 3: I love a kitten heel and I feel like it's been reinvented and I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I wish they and you know what I mean, like kit can rebrand it? Does?
Speaker 3: Can we rebrand what we call the little heel?
Speaker 1: Yes? What would it be? I don't know. We'll think about it. Okay. I like these in and out lists. This is good. Also, I want to talk about this really quickly because I think this is really saying. This is a hard time moment of the pod. Okay, am tame. So the history of New Year's resolutions. The ancient Babylonians are said to have been the first people to make New Year's resolutions some four thousand years ago. They were also the first to hold recorded celebrations in honor of the new year, though for them the year began not in January but mid March, when the crops were planted. During a massive twelve day religious festival known as Akitu, the Babylonians crowned a new king or reaffirmed their loyalty to the reigning king side note which there was a queen. They also made promises to the gods to pay their debts and return any objects they had borrowed. These promises could be considered the forerunners of our New Year's resolutions. If the Babylonians kept their words, their pagan gods would bestow favor on them for the coming year. If not, they would fall out of the gods favor, a place no one wanted to be. A similar practice occurred in ancient Rome after the reform minded emperor Julius Caesar tinkered with the calendar and established January first as the beginning of the new year Circra. Forty six PC. I didn't know that name for Janie, the two faced god whose spirit inhabited doorways and arches. January had special significance for the Romans, believing the Janis. Sorry, I have to make this joker again. We talked about this earlier, but I was like Janice the god of doorways and arches, Like what a bunk fucking that sucks. That sucks. Venus has love and like Mars has war and Janis is like doors and arches. Why I gotta sign doors and arches arches? Bitch, this sucks. Anyway, January had special significance of the Romans, believing the Janis symbolically looked backwards into the previous year and ahead into the future. The Romans offered sacrifices to the deity and made promises of good conduct for the coming year. Hmmm, that's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: So it's not like jans pivoted from like, I'm not doing architecture. Okay, we're gonna make these doors symbolic.
Speaker 1: I'm two faced. I'm two faced.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna look back and we're gonna some fucking metaphor into this bit.
Speaker 1: I have something, let me have this. I have something to offer for Jennie. Sorry, Janis. Sorry, Jennis.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that. I like the idea of looking backwards and forwards. I like I like the I YouTube that a lot. I feel like I do that that we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even though I didn't, I also didn't know that the New year used to start basically in the beginning of smarting, which does make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, however, I really like that quiet.
Speaker 3: Week between Christmas and New Year's Oh, the lost week, the lost week, it's.
Speaker 1: The bring triangle of weeks. Where is it it does?
Speaker 3: It always feels kind of long too, like time slows down a little bit. I do find that I reflect a lot during that week, like AKA drink also and you know, and it is it's kind of a nice like I don't know, yeah, And it's like that the start of the new year, I guess, happening after you know, all the major holidays of like November and December, feels like a good rhythm, even though you're still stuck in like fucking winter, which I think is a bet of a thing that makes resolutions difficult. Like think about remember when you lived in New York the first week of spring, when it would be like nice out and everyone's fucking outside, everyone's eating outside, everyone's walking. The park is full, right, Like that does make sense if that was a time when you were starting resolutions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, because planting seeds in the ground like literally thing you're doing. I actually think for in and out lists, like in starting your resolutions in spring versus starting I like that because like give yourself a break, like give your yourself doesn't rain. It's a weird maybe just usually Caesar. You know what, Caesar started that calendar. And I don't know if you guys know, but his friends fucking kill her death.
Speaker 3: Maybe not like an historical figure that we should be like following. I'll make us do this on this day in the middle of winter, it's so dark and dreary.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Maybe we we reflect, we plan, we d venture to like to plan, to look back plane, and we don't take any action until spring. Like this nice week. I actually really like when the sunshine is on our side and we're literally physically planting seeds. If we're into gardening, if that's your thing.
Speaker 1: Although, what do we do in la because it rains all of Mars, I know, and then you have June gloom. Okay, so we sucked ourselves on this one.
Speaker 3: But I will say, my brain, if you live in a place with stunger seasons than Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: And we encourage you to wait on your news resolutions until spring, when the actual year is turning over, when the earth is like turning over that part of the wheel, the wheel is staying out a little bit on the back around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, My birthday is in February, and that's actually a really good time. That would be a good time for me to do my New Year's resolutions, like my new my new Year is in February. I'm like, oh yeah, I like, are you gonna be back? No? Oh lisson no, when are you done with your job? April? Okay, that's a good time. Hum so far away. It's far, it's far, but it's going to go fast and soon, like if you go back on it, and you'll be so proud of what you did. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's all in the way you hold it, girl, It's all your right, It's all in the way I hold it. It's all in the way I frame it. Absolutely no, And I'm very near this moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, yes, more better. Okay, I feel a little more better about my new year, don't you.
Speaker 2: I do too. I do too.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have a plan of like, don't do any be low pressure, keeping it inspirational. Yes, no need to act right away. Wait, I love it, Janice, look over your shoulder and look back and look out. He's come. Yeah. Yeah, give Jannis some love a Janis, keep from ways.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Your happy New Year. Okay, thanks for indulging. Are slightly stupid but always inspirational. That's more better. Slightly stupid, but oh oh god, did we just think of it?
Speaker 2: You guys?
Speaker 1: Let us know if you like that one or if it needs work. Maybe it needs to maybe we need to punch it up a little. Yeah, I think we could workshop that. It's a good start. Yeah, okay, see you next time.
Speaker 3: Happy New Year's listeners, Bye.
Speaker 1: Bye, More More Better. Do you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want us to talk about in a future episode.
Speaker 3: Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks?
Speaker 1: Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at Morebetter pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Ooh More Better with Stephanie Melissa is a production from WV Sound and iHeartMedia's Mikutura podcast network, hosted by me Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero. More Better is produced by Isis Madrid, Leo Clem, and Sophie Spencer Zabos. Our executive producers are Wilmer Valderrama and Leo Clem at Wvsound. This episode was edited by Isis Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and features original music buying that Is Davenport and Hey Loo Boy. Our cover art is by vincent Remy's and photography by David Avalos. For more podcasts from.
Speaker 3: iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: See you next week's Saga Bye