Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone. Our conversation with Michelle Obama continues. I think your point about the fear, you know, it's so human to not want your children to hurt. And it's interesting, I've never talked about this, but you're illuminating something for me that in my adulthood, my mom and I have been healing because my mom went through a really you know, my mom did not grow up the way I did. She did not have, you know, the life that I did. She went through you know, immigration with her own mother, the classic beautiful Elis Island story, but the reality was hard, and you know, she lived in a housing project in the Bronx and sometimes had nothing to eat but a piece of bread and salt that she would make into a sandwich. And my mom had such fear about me suffering the way she suffered, that there were ways she tried to protect me. And it took a while for us to come back around, for her to not understand why I was doubting myself in this really important moment, and for us to unpack that.
Speaker 2: I knew she.
Speaker 1: Loved me, but I didn't always think she trusted me. Yeah, And so I hadn't really learned how to trust myself. And in that moment, we had this breakthrough as two women, and I learned about these things that happened in her childhood that she had shame about, that she never wanted to tell me about because she never wanted me to be scared that it would happen to us, because come hell or high water, she wouldn't let it. And it was this moment where she saw me as more human, I saw her as more human, and we both were like, whoa you know? And then what will the next generation of children have? Because we have these tools? And I think there's such beauty in your willingness to share it in the stories you've told us, in the books, in the stories you're telling right now. Can I ask you a bit of a humorous question, only because I am now lucky enough to not only love the best person in the world, but the best person in the world came with the two best kids.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 1: And like Toddler, math is crazy, you know, And there are moments where I'm like, how.
Speaker 2: Do I I am an actor?
Speaker 1: I can make up a story, right, Like, how do I tell a story that is going to get this child to survive or sleep through the night or whatever. So if you don't mind me asking now that they're grown ish, like, what's the craziest lie or tall tale you and Barack had to tell your kids to get them to do something when they were little.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, that is a great question.
Speaker 2: So like, I don't know if there was a monster under the bed.
Speaker 3: You know. Again, some of the you know, Robinson wisdom was that our parents talk to us pretty straight about things. My kids will tell you I am a notorious lecturer.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they'd be like, oh my god, I'm in trouble, and we would it's a sit down and you have a conversation about what happened, you know. So a bedtime conversation would be first of all, you have to sleep in your bed because you can't sleep with me forever, and none of us get any sleep, so we all have to go to sleep. You're right down the hall. I know you're going to be scared, but guess what you can get through. I mean, these are the kind of conversation. So I didn't tend to tell a tale. I actually talked about why it was important. And my mom always says this. Sometimes we don't give our kids credit for just really being able to hear the truth that you know, and because sometimes that takes time, you know, there was often that because I said so for sure, But I tended to try to explain why do we have to eat vegetables? I mean, you really do neat fiber and roffage, and you don't like it because your taste buds haven't, but you have to take a couple of bites. You have to eat some of it, and you're gonna sit there until you do. And I'm going to try to make vegetables that you like. But part of dinner is the vegetable and if you don't eat the vegetable, you don't get the dessert. And then sticking with it. So I tended to, you know, as my kids would say, we would have conversations about everything because I just assume that I really explained it. I gave my kids credit for being bright, not brighter than most, but I think all kids are really smart, and I think that they can understand explain it at their age, their terms, their what have you, their their way of seeing the world. You know your kid better than anyone. You know what they know, You know how to talk to them. And I always felt Barack and I always felt like we could talk to the girls and just explain the bigger picture because I think if they I always felt like if they understood the context, then at least they could work with all the information. You know, I love that, So I tended not to make up too much stuff. But I'm sure there's something that I'm just not remembering. Well, I'll have to check with Malia and Sasha and get back to you on Oh.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear if they if they have any stories. Well, and now that you know, as you mentioned, they're in LA, they're out having careers in the world. It must be so incredible to watch, you know, as a mom these adults they have grown into. And I also bet being an empty nester is kind of because like, you get to do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: What is your nine to five? Who are you going to cocktails with?
Speaker 1: Like I want to know what your life and your social life looks like right now?
Speaker 3: Man, it is whatever I want, Sophia, It's whatever I want. It's the f I love it for you in my life that all of my choices are for me. But it's also a little scary because as a mom and a busy person I always had. It was somebody else's excuse. Why didn't I do this? Why haven't I gone there? Well, I have to make sure the girls are okay, or my husband's president, so I can't. I can't do that.
Speaker 1: That's a good get out of jail free card. I'm so sorry, I can't come. I'm married to the president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like so, so now you know, I can't blame my decisions and indecisions on anyone other than me. And I don't know about a lot of your listeners, but as a woman, I think if I'm honest with myself, I could have made a lot of these decisions years ago. But I didn't give myself that freedom, you know, I you know, maybe I maybe even as much as I let my kids live their own lives, I use their lives as an excuse for why I couldn't do something. And now that's gone, and so now I have to look at my I get to look at my calendar, which I did this year was a real big example of me myself looking at something that I was supposed to do, you know, without naming names, and I chose to do what was best for me, not what I had to do, not what I thought other people wanted me to do. And between you and me, that was an important test for me just as a woman, as an independent person, because like all women on all a lot of people, I operate from guilt. What should I do? What is the best thing for everybody else? Right? Because it's easier for me to say, well, I did this because it was what I was supposed to do. Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll be back in just a minute. But here's a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: My therapist gave me this trick that has really illuminated this for me because we were talking about stress and busy and this and that, and I said, you know, and I need to do this and I need to do that.
Speaker 2: And he said, stop saying.
Speaker 1: Need to What do you want to do? What do you do that you want to do? And how many things that you actually want to do? Do you tell yourself you need to do so you guilt yourself into doing them on time? And that was like a woe for me. Yeah, yeah, is tennis one of your wants to dos on your calendar.
Speaker 3: Is an absolute want to do? Because first I don't want to do cardio and you know I have just realized I don't like just straight cardio, but I love learning how to do something else right, and I love getting cardio. I'm trying to figure out how to hit a two handed backhand with top spin. Right. The time goes by, right, and before you know it, I've sweated for ninety minutes and I've had to unpack something, and I've been able to take my mind off of everything else other than watch that ball. Watch the ball, hit it low, swing up, finish your swing state facing sideways. I mean, I just find that to be a bit meditative. Right, So tennis is look right now, this podcast, I amo is what I want to do. It's not what I have to do, It's what I want to do. And I think a lot of this also has to do with me losing my mom this year, right, and they is just she was our last elder, right, and now we're it and me and Craig, my brother, are looking at each other like, oh okay, we ready for this. But I feel like it's time for me to make some big girl decisions about my life and to own it fully, right, because if not now, when what am I waiting for? What am I going to spend the next twenty years, you know, because look the you know, the summers are. We're in summer countdown at sixty one, right, it's not so tragic, you know if something happens to you and you're eighty, right, So you know, now is the time for me to start asking myself these hard questions of who do I want? Who do I truly want to be every day? And that changes? So who do I want to have a lunch with? How long do I want to stay in a place? Do I want to travel? If a girlfriend calls and says let's go here, I can say yes, I can't. And I'm trying to do that more and more. So what does it look like? It looks like whatever I want it to look like. And I still find time to you know, give speeches, to be out there in the world, to work on projects. I still care about girls' education. We you know, the library is opening in a year from now. Certain things I am and am not doing with the library. But the interesting thing is that when I say no, for the most part, people are like, I get it, and I'm okay, right, And that's the thing that we as women, I think we struggle with, like disappointing people. Yeah, you know, I mean so much so that this year people were you know, they couldn't even fathom that I was making a choice for myself. That they had to assume that my husband and I are divorcing, you know, that this couldn't be a grown woman just making a set of decisions herself, right right. But that's what that's what society does to us. We start actually finally like going, what am I? What am I doing? You know, what am I doing this for? And if it doesn't fit into the sort of stereotype of what people think we should do, then it gets labeled as something negative and horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there's always got to be drama if it doesn't look like other people's choices.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think for you, really, for both of you as a as a you know, viewer from the outside, but a person who's been honored to know you for a long time.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, God, look at them being happy. I love this. You're back and forth to Hawaii. Please let my.
Speaker 1: Life be so dramatic on my sixty first birthday. Can I just tell you, speaking of life choices and the irony is you reminded me of my own. You are telling so many amazing stories. You're producing so much beautiful content. The books are gorgeous. I can't wait to come to the library. I will sob you know this about a week and you will be like, it's not even your library came down, But I will cry. But one of the things that has tickled me and touched me so immensely in the last year is one of your many projects. It's The Later Daters. I have sobbed every episode. And let me tell you something. It's because it takes what we should do and gives us what we could do. It is a story turning love on its head. And I did the thing that we do as women, and I did everything I was supposed to do for everybody else. And I did the checklist that Steve Harvey told me to make, and I showed up and I did the coaching, and I did the classes, and I did the therapy, and I built the life. And I got to the end of the list and I was like, I am so sad and miserable. I am going to exit my own life stage left and I'm going to start over.
Speaker 2: And I was like, can I do this at forty Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then you're out here making the show about people in their elder years finding love.
Speaker 2: And I was like, we can do it anytime.
Speaker 3: Man, How fly are these people?
Speaker 2: I mean they're amazing.
Speaker 3: They are just you know, and full of confidence, especially the women.
Speaker 2: Yes, what made you want to do this?
Speaker 3: Well? You know higher ground our production company, you know, we are all things. You know, that's the whole point of storytelling is embracing all types of storytelling, not just sort of the tear jerker, serious kind of documentary things, which are very important. We've done some amazing stuff in that category. But it's about touching everyone in every way. And unscripted programming is it's an important genre now. Reality TV is a part of life, and I'm a fan of reality TV, and so it was very important for our company to reflect not just my husband's taste, but mine as well. But I said to our team, but there's a way that I want to do it. You know, it's got to be about learning, it's got to be about that adding value. And at my age, my friends who are not married, they are the later daters. And we spent a lot of time sitting around talking about how do you get back out there? What do you do? You know, and so I'm just so pleased with the production team. We worked with the folks who create Love on the Spectrum and another Netflix unscripted show, and it's one of my favorites, that Queer So when I talked on my team about the kind of unscripted stuff that I love, you know, I wanted to walk away crying and feeling whole. Right. I talked about Queer Eye, you know, that was those were the models I talked about Love on the Spectrum, and I think that our team, you know, delivered with later daters. And it's such a fun show for everyone to watch. I mean, I've sat around watching it with my girlfriends. I've sat around watching it with my girlfriends and their daughters and they're just it just sparks the kind of conversation and it reminds us that life goes on. We are we in our fifties and sixties, plus we are entering our best years, and I want women in particular to embrace that part of themselves. So I'm very excited. We're hoping that Netflix will renew it. You know, we're in conversations now for what a second season is. So I will tell all the listeners let Netflix know if you like it. It's up to them to whether we do a second seases.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's get the people listening to the podcast posting about this. That's a good side of social media. Yes, and now a word from our sponsors that I really enjoy and I think you will too. This is a perfect segue into a few rapid fires. I want to ask you what is it? Can be a guilty pleasure or just a pleasurable TV show? Is it reality?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oftentimes it is reality, you know, because when I go to TV, I just want to turn off. I am a you know, well, white Lotus is not reality, but I am a White Lotus er. I am a real housewives person. I love the dating shows, you know. Okay, I don't agree with them all, but you know I love to watch. My kids will have me watching the girls. What's the one where they're all on it in a I'm forgetting the name of it, but I only watch it with them when the couples are on an island. Is it Love Island?
Speaker 2: Love Island?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Where they have the British version and an American version. Yes, I watched that only with them because I'm as amused at their feedback and their commentary as I am with what's going on? Oh that's so fun, So I'll go to reality TV if if but I loved uh what was this? Is my my menopause? Bring? Uh uh uh? Running Point? The new Basketball?
Speaker 2: Yes, so good?
Speaker 3: And what was the one about the see I'm so bad with names. The nobody wants.
Speaker 1: This fabulous And the resurgence of Adam Brody I mean my our early Aunts boyfriend. That felt really really nice for me for sure, And I love.
Speaker 3: Shrinking my favorite favorite with Harrison Forward. That whole past is amazing. I love that showrunner. I'm a ted Lasso fan.
Speaker 2: To me too, me too, So those.
Speaker 3: Are that the kind of I need light. And Barack and I we sometimes argue over what can we watch jointly because he likes death and darkness and then every I said, you know, you like the plots where everybody's sad and then they die.
Speaker 2: Wait, but this is like Ashland and I.
Speaker 1: I want to watch a rom com because I'm exhausted at all she wants to watch is murder dyline, Yeah, documentaries about murder.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is a trauma response. I don't know what we're.
Speaker 3: Doing to break.
Speaker 2: I want to have a cocktail and laugh while we watch TV.
Speaker 3: And I'm also like a big HGTV fan because that's like my golf. Okay, Barrock puts on golf, like to have the sound off if I just need the TV on at home, Reno, I love all of them.
Speaker 2: Do you watch In with the Old on HBO Max?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't seen that. Tell me about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, it is a home renovation show. The whole thing is that an every episode they go to some different city in the country and you watch a couple, a family, parent and child renovate an old historic property.
Speaker 3: I've seen the previews. I have to watch one of those.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm obsessed with it. Okay, we've stayed on TV for a day. Sorry, Okay, are you coffee or tea, tea caffeinated or cam a meal in.
Speaker 3: The morning and then like once a week I'll do an espresso.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, she spices it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not a big I don't need caffeine. I don't you know. What I will do is like if I'm doing a speech or I need a pick me up, I literally take a sip of a diet doctor pepper or a diet coke. I can't drink a whole one, so I don't need caffeine or sugar that much. I don't find that I drag in the morning, you know, So I drink tea because it's I put honey in it, and it's like it's a little okay.
Speaker 1: That's that that you don't need coffee in the morning. That's that Robinson motivation, early alarm clock training. She's got it up. What is your go to cocktail or? Is it a glass of wine?
Speaker 3: Oh, vodka? Martini? Dry, straight up olives all very cold, very girl barely any vermouth. I love very dry. He introduced me to that drink. I didn't drink drinks until I started dating him, and then he dated or ordered a martini in one of our first dates, and I thought, ooh, so fancicated. He's a man about town.
Speaker 2: Martini is also such a sexy date drink.
Speaker 3: It is, and it's so clean, and I love the glass. And olives aren't bad if you're hungry.
Speaker 2: They're really not. It's nice to have a snack and a cocktail.
Speaker 1: Just before the pandemic started, I was on this trip, I went to Paris for a week with my best gay with my best gay guy friend, and we were like having a time being like, oh, wouldn't it be cute if we were in love with each other?
Speaker 2: We are but not like that.
Speaker 1: And we were having martinis and we were like, should we move here this summer? Are we going to meet the loves of our lives in Paris? And then the world shut down. We were like, well, well, well we'll always have Paris. Like in the movies, if there were to be a museum about you and your life, what would the merchant the gift shop to be, Oh, you know, other than a nice martini shaker.
Speaker 3: It would be well, you know, it's too soon, but there will be a gift book in our museum, especially for me, But really too soon to announce it, but okay, at some point we'll talk about it. But okay, it would probably be be something wearable, right, I mean, yeah, I'm a fashion girl, and I think that everybody would. Everybody loves a cute T shirt that's kind of with a nice saying, that was kind of cool and edgy, you know that that was fitted. You know, it was something that I would want to wear right, Yeah, it'd probably be a T shirt.
Speaker 1: Speaking of speaking of the fashion girlies, did you see that collab that Micheleen Thomas did with Marfa Stance, that jacket company.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, I was like, well, I'm ordering myself to trench goat. Okay, I want to talk to you forever. I also want you to go to the beach because you're doing whatever you want and you deserve it.
Speaker 3: Well. Right now I want to talk to you so well.
Speaker 1: But this has just been absolutely lovely. Until I can take you for a martini somewhere we're in the same city. I will let you go back to your day, but not before I get to ask you my favorite question to ask everyone who graces me with their time. As you look at the world ahead, the year ahead, for you, what feels like you're working progress?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: For me personally, it.
Speaker 2: Can be personal, professional, anything you want.
Speaker 3: I think I'll stick with personal because right now that's what I think I have control over, right and and that's what the work is. It's me focusing on being the best me that I can be. Because when the world feels out of control, when the problems seemed big, as I've said, in the light, the best thing is to go a little small and to start with what you can control. And for me, it's my health, it's my mental health, it's my choices, my decisions in life. I think I will continue to offer my advice, my direction to people. I will tell people to vote, I will I will express what I what I think when the time comes. But I've learned that I really can only control me, and if we all kind of do that, control me, my orbit, the girls that I brought into the world, my daughter's helping them become amazing people who were thoughtful and empathetic and not afraid. You know, if we all just did that, we'd be in a good place. So I'm gonna keep keep working on the me that is always the work in progress, because we are always still becoming and that won't change.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, that's the hope, right if we if we stop becoming, we're probably dying.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So how lucky are we to be on the adventure.
Speaker 3: Let's let's continue to be blessed, to feel blessed and grateful for that and find our happiness and joy there and not rely on things that are external that we don't have control over. We got to redefine what happiness is these days, right, And I'm having a lot of those conversations with the young people in my life as well. It's like, I think we've kind of gotten not a whack. And when Craig and I were growing up and your mom was growing up, happiness was you got ice cream, you know, every now and then, right, you got maybe one birthday party your entire life. We were happy because we got three toys at Christmas, you know, and we were happy. So I'm trying to teach my girls how to right size their happiness and not to base it on external stuff and likes and influencing and money. It's steering us in the wrong direction and it's not making us kinder and more empathetic. And I want to lead with that and for the people in my orbit, I want them to practice that. So I got to keep working on it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's beautiful. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, babe.
Speaker 2: An absolute joy. It's so nice to see you too.
Speaker 3: Now you have to reciprocate, so you got to come and hang out with me and Craig.
Speaker 2: I'd love to.
Speaker 3: And make sure you're We want listeners, we want your your folks to listen in and in questions and tell us what they think. And you know, if for no other reason, they're making me happy because I get to talk to them, so it keeps me connected. So I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we can't wait.
Speaker 3: We'll play, we'll do more things.
Speaker 2: All right, indeed, I'm here.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. It's great to be with you.