Speaker 1: How old were you when you got your first ever pet? I wouldn't even say dog, just pet, and what was said? Pet? Oh?
Speaker 2: I want to say I was sixth ish, yeah, because I was pretty small. It was a big golden retriever. Yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't. We got him from the pound too, so he was fully grown. I told you about him. His name was The pound gave us his name. They named him Bandit because he was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, he kept running away, that's rightswords and taking off.
Speaker 2: Five or six months of it. We had picked him up from the pound because we got I don't know if it was the chip or whatever, but they definitely knew who to call at that point. But yeah, they called him bandit because he was like a pound regular. So that was my first dog, or well, my and my first pet. I didn't have.
Speaker 1: You didn't have anything before that.
Speaker 2: I might have had like goldfish that you know, the ones that last a week or whatever from a affair that you win from that one specific game.
Speaker 1: The pink pong job is teaching everybody how to play pong, the drinking game. We all started with fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah that I might have had maybe one of those before, but he was my first pet. Okay, interesting, and what about you?
Speaker 1: I had a gerbil named Charcoal when I was eight or nine, and then my brother got cats and the gerbil didn't last much after.
Speaker 2: Yes, what when do you think getting road killed type animals as pets started?
Speaker 1: Why is it why gerbils aren't road killed kind of pets?
Speaker 2: Where are they from? And what do they do?
Speaker 1: It is true, it's it's it's just like a rebrand a gerbil?
Speaker 2: Can you cut?
Speaker 1: Probably shouldn't, right?
Speaker 2: Can you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't know whatzzle your gerbil? Or did it just stay in a cave.
Speaker 1: First of all, I've got to say, just from a euphemism standpoint, nuzzle your gerbil sounds like something that we should put on a T shirt immediately. So yeah, let's just be honest with that. This early in the morning, Sabrina, where your mind is going?
Speaker 2: I went like this? I mean I really did, like, oh Like it was not like a oh God, there we go for you over the last couple of days.
Speaker 1: Well I'm speaking of pets. Well, first of all, let's welcome you back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your BJ's and your popcorn. And get back to a time when no the houses were smart, the wave tsunamis and you nuzzled your gerbil. I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 2: And I am Sabrina Brian surviving on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes, so leash up your dog and lock the sidegate, because this week's magical rewind. We're barking up. I'm gonna say the wrong tree. In two thousand and one's coming of age film Hounded, as I guessed last week off the title alone, this one involves a dog. Actually you did too. We were both like, it's got to be about a dog, but I would never have guessed. It's also a weird kind of true crime drama and also a bizarre physical comedy attempt, and we'll get into it. It was released on April thirteenth, two thousand and one, and is often forgotten within the dcom lexicon. We sometimes might not be the worst thing. We sometimes get a high school musical or a xenon to review, and then sometimes we're watching movie that's long lost in the archives, and that's what we're watching with Hounded, And to be honest, that's a little surprising considering the cast is amazingly impressive and recognizable and that's the truth. Yes, first off, as everybody likes to know, we are returning to the dcom capital of the country. I'm gonna say world, not even country World, Salt Lake City, Utah for filming. One central location was the Magdalene Choir School campus, which includes a beautiful church built in nineteen oh nine and is the only cathedral in the US under the patronage of Saint Mary Magdalene. And it shoul come as no surprise it was produced by Don Shane, the man who connected Disney Original films to Utah in the first place. AVHS was released for this one almost exactly one year after its debut on the channel. But critics also did not love this one back in two thousand and one, and currently it is below fifty percent on Rotten Tomatoes, which I guess is still the kind of the benchmark is rotten tomatoes? Yeah, the way to serve I guess. So it's certified fresh and all this kind of stuff. But what a critics know in this case, I think a lot. But thanks to Disney Plus and Lucky for the mission statement of our podcast, Hounded isn't actually lost. It is currently streaming on the studio's flagship streamer. You can watch it now or wait till we're done and see what we got wrong. Write down all the mistakes, then call five five five six five six nine and leave a message for us. If you take anything away from today's podcast, let it be that we want to hear from you. It's ninety nine cents the first minute, sixty two dollars each additional minute, and now let's get your voice modulators ready. It's time to kidnap a Pomeranian and get into the synopsis. In an attempt to foil his mean spirited rival, high school student Jay accidentally kidnaps his principals seemingly cute, tiny dog, and it turns out to be a nightmare of a beast who Sabrina, What were your early thoughts on Hounded?
Speaker 2: Well, my early thought was, I was, as you said, so excited about this cast. I was excited, honestly, knowing like two of one of my favorite young child actors being linked together. I was so pumped for it. I had never heard of it, so that did make me feel a little nervous. Once we started getting into it instantly, and I was like, oh, this is like our typical you know what we look for as far as what a dcom of this time was, and I was kind of interested to see where it went. Those were my early thoughts. I also went, oh, no, I don't. I don't think Will's gonna like this one. More what my early thoughts were than anything else.
Speaker 1: Okay, was I right? You were right? Yeah? It took me three days to watch this movie. Really, it really did. And I'm with you. One of the best casts we've had of any dcom. Yeah, which we'll get into, but I mean a crazy cast. And they were all good. There was not a single dud in the bunch when it came to acting. Everybody was great. I didn't get the story. I didn't get where they were going. Some of it made absolutely no sense. Uh it was. This was a rough one for me. It seemed to me like, and I even stopped to look up when it was made in two thousand and one. It seemed to me like the one scene in there, something about Mary where the little dog attacks Ben Stiller, that somebody watched that, And when I'm going to make an entire dcom about this, I swear to god they watched. And oh, I'm going to do a ninety minute movie hopefully about this one seed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see how you think my real trip up and ends that happens at the end. And you know, I am one of the biggest things for me with d coms is I am looking for a good learning moment and the learning moment did not add up, and I was just like, Okay. Then I went oh, because other than that, I kind of took it as like on that let with two thousand and one, this is right before yeah, the like full blown lock in of what this mom is. This was like that middle area. So I kind of gave it a little bit more grace, mainly because the cast was so good. Yeah, so amazing, that's you.
Speaker 1: Know, Okay, well let's get into who that cast is. But first, Hounded was directed by Neil Israel, a name we have seen before. He directed the Dcmpoof Point and had quite a career, amazing career in both TV and movies over the decades. He first burst onto the scene in nineteen eighty four with the raunchy Tom Hanks comedy Bachelor Party, which, for anybody my age, was the one you'd sneak into and stuck in the frat guy VHS rental scene with movies like Moving Violations and Breaking the Rules. Then in the nineties he transitioned into family films like Surf, Ninja's Two Different, Mary Kate and Ashley movies, and TV shows like Lucy Maguire and Even Stevens. He's also a legendary writer as the mind behind Police Academy, Real Genius and Look Who's Talking To? Now, Look Who's Talking To? Is a decent movie. The first one was better, but Police Academy and Real Genius are two great eighties films.
Speaker 2: Oh I would say, Look Who's Talking To is a great It was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't as good as the first one, though the first one was great.
Speaker 2: First Yeah, great, hop notch and it's.
Speaker 1: The return of Let's start this cast because amazing Taj Moury. He plays the lead Jay Martin. Toaj is part of the storied Moury siblings. We saw his sisters Tia and Tamara in Twitch's and Twitch's part de Taj was a regular guest star in Full House, but was best known as the lead of the family sitcom Smart Guy. We know him from the dcoms. Of course, The Proofpoint another collaboration between him and Neil Israel, and of course I worked with him on the animated series Kim Possible. I Got to Go. Wade Taj was most recently in the Disney Machine again for the twenty twenty three show The Muppets Mayhem and we have a very young standout performance yet again from arguably the best child actor to ever live, which is you could really make the argument that is Shi La buff As Ronnie van Duzen. We know Shia from the Even Stevens d com and we also recapped his movie True Confessions. Shia's career began at twelve years old and his roller coaster life in the spotlight has included huge blockbusters like I Robot and Transformers. Grow up and focus on what he'd called performance art. But in the end he's had some issues and he's just kind of shy it now. But there's no denying he is an absolutely incredible actor. And again, if you put together a list of the top five child actors of all time, anybody who knows anything about it could not exclude him from that list. Ever, He's amazing. Craig Kirkwood is Mike Martin. He's most recognizable from his role in the Denzel movie Remember the Titans, but also appeared on TV shows like My So Called Life, Family Matters, Fresh, Prince of bel Air, and another Mower family project, Sister Sister. His last acting credit is from two thousand and six And We've Got Sarah Paxton as Tracy Richberg. The former child actress worked on a ton as a kid like TV shows such as Will and Grace, Lizzie McGuire, Passions in Summerland or is it Summerland? Summerland, Summerland, Somewhere in the summer, there's a land. That's the show she was on. She starred in Aquamarine, a movie with Emma Roberts and Jojo. Is Jojo different than Joe Joe Siwa or Joe Joe?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, like could not be, Like, oh my gosh, oh gosh, will.
Speaker 1: Somebody just producing reason is on how Dare You? Jojo is also a cookie so and there's plenty of things it could be.
Speaker 2: Jojo was an artist that came out a lot earlier than Jojo. Siwah was like a little little girl. She was like way different.
Speaker 1: Okay different, So this is a different Jojo. I've offended a Jojo. Apparently I apologize to all the JoJo's in the world. We take it back.
Speaker 2: Are we back right now?
Speaker 1: Now? I have to ask, are we offending Jojo or we offending Joe Joe Seewa, Well Jojo.
Speaker 2: The one we're talking about in this movie, or well she's not in this movie, but in Aquamarine she's a singer like she has. Jo Jojo Seawaw started on that show Dance Moms or yeah, dance Moms where it was like a reality show. And then but there's not to say anything terrible what she's done. I mean, she took her career and just flew forward making Monroe has probably four or five of her like giant bows like she's I mean, she's made a career for herself and her own right. But when it comes to like music and art, it's like, oh yeah, Like then.
Speaker 1: I apologize to whichever Jojo I should apologize to. I humbly mean that, whatever Jojo you are. And on the dcom side, this Jojo would start in return to holl No, I'm sorry, not Jojo. This Sarah Paxton would start in Halloween Town, the two thousand and six entry to the Scary franchise, which was a look into her future because she has since starred in a bunch of great modern day horror movies like The Innkeepers, The Last House in the Left, and Cheap Thrills. And she has also helped with two huge horror movies directed and written by her husband, one of the biggest emerging filmmakers today, Zach Krieger, and his movies Barbarian and Weapons Worth noting, I guess those are two movies, Barbarian and Weapons Worth noting. She was in a wheelchair for the film, but it is obviously not in a wheelchair in real life. And then we have just credited as girl number one, we have Olyssa Rulin. This was her first acting role, but she would go on to star as Kelsey Nielsen one of Disney Channel's biggest franchises, High School Musical. I said it went back because of course we know there's an explanation point. She also starred in Halloween Town High, the TV series Greek, Drop Dead, Diva Powers, Ncis Los Angeles, The Rookie, and more. So it all started with her one line in this movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and scratch my number one. Star stars starred Sabrita seas Right off.
Speaker 1: My sorry, we're gonna take that off. There you go. You can talk about Jojo.
Speaker 2: Sh I was so excited to see her. It's so great because this shows how Disney works. You know, you go in, you get a small part, and then later on, boom, they're giving you like one of your like million dollar baby situations.
Speaker 1: It's awesome and I did. It's obviously I didn't know who she was, but the second she popped on screen, I was like, oh, I know her, Yeah, I recognize her. Yeah. And this week we've got a pretty great one in the Dabney Reynolds position. Yes it is, mister, I'm gonna instantly call him Sir Ed Bagley Junior as Shy as Dad and school Headmaster Ward van Dusen. An established name in Hollywood, Begley is a big dcom get. He was a TV regular in the seventies and in the eighties he starred as doctor Victor Erlick on Saint Elsewhere, a role that earned him six consecutive Emmy nominations. On the movie side, he appeared in Batman, Forever, Pineapple Express, and a slew of Christopher guest movies, including This Is Spinal Tap. Best in Show and a Mighty Wind. He was most recently seen in Better Call Saul and Young Sheldon. He's also one of Hollywood's original environmentalists, as an early adapter to things like electric cars, recycling, veganism, and solar power, and Begley's real life wife, actress Rachel Carson, plays his partner in the movie Too, I didn't know that going in. Carson has been in films like But I'm a Cheerleader and The Bling Ring, and was seen in recent TV shows like Cobrakai. She is also very involved in earth related initiatives right alongside her husband, and one thing that Beaglees can do to help save the Earth is to be in a short movie the less energy exerted. We all get home at a reasonable hour, so less carbon monoxide, smaller footprint, all that kind of stuff. So that's the question is how long is hounded? It's ninety two minutes our so close to our target, but two minutes off and not on the side we'd hope for. If only they could have neutered those one hundred and twenty seconds, we'd be much better off.
Speaker 2: Nootered. I love it, but for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we live in a shattered reality. It's tough.
Speaker 2: Too long. We got to go back to that.
Speaker 1: It is long, Yes, I did. I had to watch this in chunks. This is one of those movies there's two names with the script credit on this one. It is a writing team. We have Don Calamy, who is the husband of Big Chill actress Meg Tilly, and his teammate Chris Conroy. They have only two notable writing credits their names, This and the two thousand and six Dane Cook Jessica Simpson movie Employee of the Month. We'll just leave that there, so let's not waste any more time. We have your dog and we want five grand in trade, or you know, let's just recaphound it. We open with some black and white animation, almost like preliminary sketches you see for cartoons. A young boy knocks on the door of his school headmaster and is welcomed by a man who removes a mask to reveal a terrifying, big bad wolf. The rabbit animal tries to eat the head of the boy, who just barely avoids it by ducking his head into his shirt. The kid runs off and the wolf laughs. We pull out to find it is in fact a cartoon being drawn by a real life teenager in a school uniform. His name is Jay, and he's in his art studio inspired bedroom. Starting in a bedroom, let's get to know our characters. We hear a parent yell out that breakfast is ready, and so he grabs a backpack and makes his way downstairs. We also get a glimpse of a frame picture of the kid with what appears to be his dad on a baseball field. Now in the kitchen, his mom reveals she got a call from Aunt Lois this morning. She broke her ankle again and is in the hospital. Will need to go stay with her for a week to help. Even though Jay assures her he can be home alone, She's called his brother to come down from Starkwell Military Academy to keep him company. Jay is very much not thrilled with this decision. His brother is just gonna yell at him and bost him around all day. He even says he hates me, which I thought was like wow. His mom swears it's just because his brother cares about him. She leaves cash for the week and some frozen dinners in the freezer, then apologizes for missing the awards ceremony tonight. Jay explains he hasn't won anything yet, but she insists she's proud of him and his dad would have been too. So, yes, folks, it seems like we have a dead dad alert, dead dead dad guys, the return of the deceased parent to the dcom Did you see this coming?
Speaker 2: I the picture frame gave me a little twinkle of oh, there's something there, But also did you not go? Okay? So we just got the entire backstory within like a minute, in forty three seconds, yep, of this is what's happening. This is why it's okay that you're going to be at the house by yourself, your brother's going to be here, like boom boom boom boom boom. Like that was a lot of information within the first three minutes of the movie.
Speaker 1: I'm also it's also I'm sorry your your son is that night not a week from now. That night has a huge presentation that could determine his entire future. You can't wait twenty four hours to go be with your sister who broke her ankle. She's yea, not in a coma. She's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not. It's not a life threatening situation.
Speaker 1: She broke her ankle and had the mom been there? See this is where the movie to me was like, had the mom been there? And he said, Mom, this is my presentation. I read part of this to you.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, no, well then you're gonna go up and give it and we're gonna have a talk right now.
Speaker 1: Movie over. That's what it is. But no, Mom has to go now. I have to leave right now because she broke her ankle. It's like, come on, and you even said this is the second time she's done it. She's broken her ankle before she can be okay for hobble around for twenty four hours. It's literally about his entire scholarship chapter.
Speaker 2: Of his life, next chapter, so that's going right away.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, already not buying this, Like you're not gonna wait for twenty four hours, but this's like good luck on your giant thing you're doing. So yeah, I was that was already like right from a writing standpoint, I was like, really, make it something better. She was in a car. I mean, you don't have to go crazy, but she's something to where it's not like she broke her ankle. I have to go again. Good luck on that giant thing you've been working your whole life on. See you tomorrow, right, that was.
Speaker 2: Weird to me, or even the fact that he was like so okay with it too, like let's.
Speaker 1: Constantly yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: It made sense easily to just be like she's a now single mom who has a high powered job, and she has a conference that she can't miss, like this.
Speaker 1: Is to make a day life something, yes.
Speaker 2: A day life that she is always just unfortunately unable to be there because she's a single mom. Like here you go, that.
Speaker 1: Would have been good, but nope, they didn't do that. So they sister broke her ankle again, so she's gonna leave him some money and hope he's alive in a week. Jay is worried his dad would have been disappointed because he didn't go to stark Well, but his mom encourages him to focus on the Peterson scholarship instead. We're now at stark Well. It's a cold day at a boot camp. Troops are marching in all directions and Sergeant Mike Martin, Jay's brother, is shouting insults at his battalion mid crash out. He's told that Colonel Douglas wants to see him asap. He dismisses his platoon and runs off to find the higher ranking officer, who is aware that Mike's soldiers are close to failing this semester. Mike blames their bad grades on laziness. The colonel knows he works hard, but thinks he doesn't know what it's like to be a leader. We learned that the dead Dad used to teach at Starkwell, and his vice was always to lead with love, not fear. The colonel has heard that Mike is needed at home right now, so he suggests some time off to think about his future in the military. It's not for everybody, he tells him, which is true. We transition from the soldier's disappointed look too Columbus Hall High. It's Jay's school, starting up for the day. The headmaster, Ward van Dusen, scans the crowd of students and confiscates a portable game system, which in reality is just a video game controller, just one you'd plug into a conser. There's no screen on it or anything. There's literally no chance anyone could play it without plugging it at home. It's not a thing, but that's what he takes and becomes part of the story.
Speaker 2: Oh it comes back so much like if you didn't see it the first time. At the end, you're like.
Speaker 1: Wait, it's what's going on with this controller. Jay arrives with his friends Bill and Tracy Richberg. Not Bill and it's Bill and Tracy Richburg. They're not a married couple. It's not Bill and Tracy Richburg, the latter rolling into the quad in a wheelchair. A boy on the soccer field, Ronnie, haphazardly kicks a ball into the school founder's statue. Then it bounces off and hits a teacher in the head. He laughs it off, and when the angry staff member sees it was Ronnie who kicked it, she just quickly smiles and waves. Jay notes that the privileged few get away with everything while the nice kids get their unusable video game controllers taken away. It's unfair. Jay excitedly pulls it. You know what, I was just gonna say, nustle my Gerbil again. But I didn't want to do that. Jay excitedly pulls out a stack of flash cards to show his pal. He flips through them, creating the moving animation we saw earlier of the Big bad Headmaster Wolf. You're still You're still laughing over nuzzling your gerbil, aren't you? Mm hmm, there you go, there you go. That's your your Your hashtag of the day is nuzzle my gerbil. Oh God. The other side of the cards are filled with words from his important scholarship presentation. Then head Master Van Duson gets on the microphone for an announcement. He says, if you had the rice yesterday, see the nurse if you're feeling differently, which I thought was very funny. Secondly, all eighth grader should report to the auditorium fifth period for the Donald Peterson Memorial Awards competition. The bell rings and everyone's off to class and once again, Ronnie kicks the soccer ball into the crowd, this time hitting Jay right in the face. The flash cards fall to the ground and that quad Ronnie seems pretty proud of himself. Then Headmaster Van Duson walks out into the yard as Jay scurries to pick up the cards, but unfortunately before he can scoop them all up. Then Dowson catches a glimpse of the drawings and he knows it's a terrible cartoon of himself because he picks up the picture of a wolfhead. That's the one he shows. He goes it doesn't look too much like me. It's like it's the picture of a wolf. Why wouldn't they pick up the one that's supposed to be him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine because he is such a bully, like he walks. I mean, when he we've already established like everyone's kind of either afraid or like basically just doesn't like him or hates him right as being this, you know, headmaster, because he's a jerk to everyone, I would assume this is like I kind of just let let it go because I figured this wasn't the first time he's seen a caricature of himself.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like it's like an.
Speaker 2: Ongoing thing on campus that everyone hates him.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I was just reading too much. And okay, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah you already did like the movie. I could tell No.
Speaker 1: By this point, I'm still okay because again I thought, right when Ed Bagley comes on and he's like if you had the rice, I'm like, oh, okay, this might be more tongue. Yes, some funny comedy and all that kind of stuff. And again, all the acting was great, so I was like, Okay, and Shia. Yeah. I was very much still in at this point, although I was like, really, you're leaving your kid to go? That was the only thing that bumped me. Yeah. So he knows it's a terrible cartoon of himself, and even though Jay tries to say it isn't him, the Headmaster wonders what his mother will think of his creative endeavors. He takes all the cards and not caring that they also include Jay's big presentation. Now in the hallways, Jay is freaking out. He has no time to rewrite the presentation, and to make matters worse, Ronnie aggressively joins him on the walk. He calls Jay Marshan instead of Martin and knows that they're all front runners for the Scholarship award. He also flirts with Tracy and tells her about the victory party he's throwing in his poolhouse for when he wins. In all honesty, the poolhouse party sounds pretty life changing. Rumor is he has arcade games and his own phone number and a pool table. I want to be there too. We all had a friend that had the coolest bedroom. My friend Jeff was like that y, He just had all the coolest stuff. He's the first person I ever had a waterbed. He had it was like the coolest thing ever, So I had to get a waterbed. I was like, yeah, Jeff, at all the cool stuff. Now we're in head Master Van Duson's office. He's playing the video game he confiscated again, which is still just a controller. When Ronnie enters, he calls the private schools headmaster dad, uh oh, that's right, Ronnie is Ward van Dusen's son. Ward asked if Ronnie is ready for his scholarship presentation and really hopes his speech isn't the one about how Jackie Chan would make a great president. Unfortunately it is. And this was another thing where I was like, Okay, they're obviously wealthier. They're from a family of wealth, So why is he going after the scholarship to go to this school?
Speaker 2: Right that the whole idea of him having to do this is just insane, except for it to just be that the headmaster's son, you know, is that great is able.
Speaker 1: They needed more dialogue, They needed something like because they got a little bit into the grandfather thing where it's like, your grandfather doesn't think I'm raising you, right, He thinks you're, you know, right, not not being brought up the proper way. So maybe it's something like and he said, you've got to go to this Prestigiou school and we're not allowed to pay for I mean, there's a way to do it more steak.
Speaker 2: Like you were at stake of why this kid.
Speaker 1: Kid who can't afford it, and the kid who's from massive wealth should not be going after the same scholarship unless you really explain why they're going after the same scholarship. I mean, even if it's something as simple as making even more of it where it's like, you know, Ronnie, why are you even going after the scholarship because you want it Marshan and then walking away, I mean, like something simple, but it's there's no reason that this kid needs this scholarship.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of stuff with Shia's character that should have been beefed up in general to make the like dislike out of him even you know of yeah, well we have to get into it later. But it just was kind of like that was a missmoment and the best part, the worst part for me is knowing how well Shia would have leaned into Oh.
Speaker 1: God, because He's so good. Every line he delivers you believe it, and is just to have that presence at an actor at that age is so like I go back and watch myself occasionally at eleven or twelve, and I barely know how to stand up. So I mean, it's like I'm doing everything. But no, it's true. I mean I'm literally doing everything but looking down at the t mark to stand to see where I'm supposed to stand. Oh. So to have that kind of presence as an actor at that age is just unheard of, to be sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they would have given him more, he would have just it would have It could have made a difference for sure.
Speaker 1: And it again shows you how good he is because Taj is great. Taj is phenomenal. But when anybody that age is on screen with Shia, he's just playing at a different level. He's just playing at a different level. So and Taj is a phenomenal young actor. So yeah, it was It's yeah, I agree he needed to be beefed up in some way, shape or form, But then maybe he would have stolen the movie even more. Who knows. But anyway, apparently Ronnie's grandfather, the founder of the school, thinks that Ward is doing a bad job as headmaster and that he's a bad dad to Ronnie. So to prove him wrong, Ronnie must win the scholarship. That's what they said, but I still didn't buy it. He hands his son, Jay's impressive presentation about recycling a nice ode to Bagley's own interests and tells him to read the cards. Because that speech is perfect, which again is pretty sketchy. Ronnie will need to at least beat Jaya win. He leaves to take care of that Spanish rice incident as Ronnie starts on his superior speech, but he quickly turns his attention to Jay's cards.
Speaker 2: Oh well, he said, you've got twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's the stage that's already written. What's the kid gonna do? Yes? That like that.
Speaker 2: I kind of was like, oh man, this poor knat by his dad, Like, what do do you think it's gonna act like putting skittles in front of my two year old and say you cannot eat these. I'm gonna go in the other room, but don't you dare eat them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever you do, don't open my giant magical closet of mystery. Yeah, exactly, so we're now in the library. J tells his friends that his mom can't afford Peterson or stark Well, but since his dad taught at the military academy, he could get in for practically nothing. But he does want to go there. The presentations in fifteen minutes, and so he tries his hardest and magically remembers everything from the cards. Maybe things aren't as bad as he thought.
Speaker 2: Can we get studying them? Yes, is what you would do if you were giving a big presentation. He's just like, of course you have your cards just in case. This kid has been doing it for probably weeks.
Speaker 1: Yes, saying it over and over to yourself in the mirror, and all that could kind of stop.
Speaker 2: Yes, twenty minutes, let me write a new one and then know what I'm talking about exactly.
Speaker 1: Then we get in our favorite and optical flip to the fifth period assembly and Ronnie van Dusen is reciting Jay's exact speech to the student body. Jay knows he's been bambooz ol it's great words, so he walks out with the assembly, over which again I would have stood up been like, hey, he's reading my speech. You've got to have all the notes from the speech you made. You've got to have all the research you did, right.
Speaker 2: Well, well no, I mean he that's why he said he had no proof. But he could have gone up and started saying everything that he was saying right like shy, shy his character. He was reading from a script still, like you could have been like, okay, take the.
Speaker 1: Card, do way and go go ahead, tell me about it script.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna read the exact same thing like I know it already.
Speaker 1: Yep, there's plenty of ways to do it. But no, and that they at least explain that where he says, I should have stood up and said something, and they didn't just blow past that, which was good. With the assembly over, he complains to Tracy about that cheating Van Duz and Meani since he didn't have any proof of theft, which again, I think if you did all the research for months for your project, you probably would have the proof that you researched everything that you did in your notes and all that good kind of stuff. But anyway, Jay did not speak up. Tracy is mad he should have said something because he's supposed to go to Peterson's Amazing Art program with her the next year. Then that weasel. Ronnie walks up to rub his victory in their faces again, not only stealing but then rubbing it in. Jay asked him how it feels to steal a speech, and Ronnie loudly denies it and tells him to have fun at the Army Academy. It's this is when I was like, he literally just stole it's got to be eighty thousand dollars from this guy because it's got what figure twenty thousand dollars a year for four years to go to a private academy.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I guess I don't know, but I mean.
Speaker 1: This is a massive thing. This wasn't like, hey, you know, I took something from took your girl or whatever. It's like, you just stole four years of my life and put me in military school. This is massive.
Speaker 2: Well, he calls himself a whimp later on, like he outright says he's a wimp. So otherwise, I mean, I think most kids there would at least be some shoving, some type of like you.
Speaker 1: Know, mentioned something, yes, something.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, especially he was not as small as you know.
Speaker 1: It was it.
Speaker 2: I mean, and even like money money aside, he really wanted to go and he really does not want to go and do this military.
Speaker 1: Situation, like crazy, Yeah, this was a big this is a big one. I was like, Wow, they're making Shy is evil in this movie. Yeah, so crazy. Jay asked him how it feels to steal a speech, and Ronnie loudly denies it and tells him to have fun at the Army Academy. He also reminds Tracy again about his poolhouse party, and Shia is amazing yet again. Now had Master Van Dusen is alone in the cafeteria, fidgeting with a vending machine and panicked on the phone asking about his wife's Pomeranian Camille. Jay notices him stealing a candy bar like father leg Son, and he tries to confront him about the presentation, but the Headmaster's attention is back to the dog's groomers. On the phone. He's mad that the dog's nails weren't cut correctly and he's bringing back the dog tomorrow to have it fixed. With that, he walks back to his office with Jay apologizing about the scholarship. He also reveals that the Spanish rice epidemic has spread to the Hash Browns, and that's when I was like, not the hash browns. Please not to potatoes. Ugh, don't mess with potatoes. I love them so much. Oh they're my fave. Jay points out that Ronnie stole his presentation, and Ward isn't having the accusation. Cheating is a very big deal at the school, and maybe they just had similar ideas, but the speeches were word for word the same. Ward claims he destroyed Jay's note cards, so it's impossible that his son cheated. Jay asked the headmaster to act Ronnie anyway, So the administrator pulls out a flip phone and calls Ronnie to his office. He promises he'll get to the bottom of this and tells Jay not to spread any rumors in the meantime. And I was like, ooh it big me. On his way out, Jay hears Ward in the office interrogating his son. Ronnie admits to cheating and says he did it because his dad said to win the scholarship by any means necessary. And this is where I thought, Okay, difference in a two thousand and one movie in a twenty twenty six movie. Instantly, the kid would just pull out his phone and start recording, but couldn't do that here, So it just be his word. Yes, So head Master Van Duzen explains he was supposed to use the speech as a benchmark for what to beat, not to copy it. He's furious. Ward wants his son to get rid of the cards, which are now in his locker. All the evidence must be destroyed. One more misstep and there will be consequences for Ronnie. Now on his way back to class, Jake runs into a nerdy hall monitor asking for his pass, but he doesn't have one, and right before he can be assigned attention, Ronnie appears with the hall pass he's stolen from his dad's office. He throws his arm around Jay, explaining that he would have ruined attention for him and his friends. That's the only reason he I love that. He's like, you're gonna ruin the vibe of detention, So I don't watch you my detention with me. We got it, We got it all worked out. Yeah, with that.
Speaker 2: I thought we'd get to see what the detention situation was like. He was like running some kind of mafia situation.
Speaker 1: I thought would have been funny. I think by that point they would have gotten too much in the shiest character and it wouldn't really have been Taj's movie anymore.
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: So with that, it's after school and Jay is speeding down the street on his bike, being trailed by determined Ronnie. The bully catches up and kicks Jay off his bike, leaving him floored on somebody's front lawn, and with that, Ronnie pedals off. Jane notices the note cards are in his backpack. He was right, So this guy's not just but he's also now assaulting him on like for no reason on his bike. No business, No, you just destroyed this kid's life. Do you need to break his leg too?
Speaker 2: It's like, come on, bad enough. He's got this bike that he's driving around with this weird basket in front. Like this kid's like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, come on, yeah, we don't need giant basket. Come on, man. So we're now home. Jay walks in as his brother is leaving a message on the family's answering machine but doesn't pick up. Mike explains that his jeep broke down and the part isn't coming in till tomorrow, so he's stranded for the night. He instructs his little brother to call up the Zachary family next door and ask if he can stay with them for the night. Jay rolls his eyes and Mike warns, no screw ups. Jay is back with Tracy, now with a dog on her lap. For some reason. He's telling her all about the new Ronnie information and how his dad is complicit in the crime. She encourages her pal to pet her dog not a euphemism, it could relieve some stress, but he admits that dogs hate him and returns to moping. What's your problem, Sabrina, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Sabrina?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's the time change.
Speaker 1: That okay, it's twenty twenty six, that's the problem. He tells him to do something about it. There must be a way to get some proof that Ronnie cheated, and Ronnie knows he needs those cards back. He says goodbye, trying to kiss the dog for some reason, who he didn't like before. And I thought, was he leaning in to kiss the girl? He was the dog up in front of him? Was that what was happening to me?
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, they're dating, right. That's why it's also a kind of maybe an importance of why he wants to go to this school, because she said that they were going to go together. You're dat can't That's what But I felt like, oh, we missed some there was a there was a scene that got cut that we missed, like something that wasn't explained that they were dating or anything like that. So that's what I was like, Not the storyline starting to get all over the place.
Speaker 1: We're hopping left and right. I agree something something's.
Speaker 2: But I thought that I definitely thought the kiss was to go into her.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought too.
Speaker 2: She just put the dog up like you're.
Speaker 1: Like, right, kind of a well, let's call it a dog block kiss. So yeah, that's kind of what I thought it was. And yeah, I felt the same.
Speaker 2: I was like it put it in my notes, like you can't just like all of a sudden they're going in for a kiss because they weren't even holding hands or or you know, like the right hole.
Speaker 1: And he just said he doesn't like dogs, so he's not going to instantly go in and try to kiss the dog.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, so he was trying to kiss. Okay, I'm just making sure that I got that right. Yes, but the kiss of the dog doesn't work out. It in turn pushes him off a ledge and the stunt looks as natural as it sounds. Jay rides his bike over to the Vanduzen household, where he hides and watches Ward, his wife, and Ronnie rush to leave. They drive off, revealing a bumper sticker that reads, my kid is a Ronald Peterson Memorial Scholarship Winner. And man, they gave out those bumper stickers really fucking clear, so.
Speaker 2: Fast, Yeah, with the coast clear.
Speaker 1: Jay makes a b line for Ronnie's pool house, and we now have to admit the pool house is as cool as advertised. Ultimate teenage Boys Room. It has foosball, a pool table, barbershop, pole, juke box, pinball, rollerblade posters, BMX posters, It has it all, and yet all Jay has is a giant yellow bubble jacket, which she wears for most of the movie. And yet it I think it's cold because when you well, it's all sunny like, it looks like everybody could be wearing shorts. But in scenes that they shoot in Utah, the mountains right behind them are clearly covered in snow.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, but they're probably I would say it seems like they would be doing kind of what happens where they like shoot in October November, trying to say that it's like fall time right, like you know, like or which it's not.
Speaker 1: He's in a big bubble jacket.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially if he which I'm pretty sure shy is like a SoCal born and raised kid. You go to Utah, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna feel it. It's cold, Yeah, you're gonna feel it. Yeah. So now Jay is officially broken into somebody's house and he's searching the room looking for the cards, and then the earlier mentioned tiny white show dog Pomeranium named Camille appears and knows someone's in the guest house. To defend her family, she starts loudly barking at Jay, who knows this could be his downfall. He begs the pooch to stop, but it doesn't work, so instead he offers Camille some nearby gummy worms, and she's not interested. Then the housemate appears. She's very concerned in yelling out for the dog. Jay knows his time is running out, so he does what you normally do. He puts on one of Ronnie's hockey masks and walks back into the yard, and as soon as the maid spots him, she screams and runs away, and this scene played more like a scene from Fargo than a d com. All right, I mean, wasn't there something super creepy about this at this point?
Speaker 2: I when I saw the mask, I thought he was going to try to play himself off as Ronnie, Like, just put it on, pretend he was me, me too, Yeah, something like something just a little bit less, like let me walk out.
Speaker 1: Of this, as opposed to serial kill.
Speaker 2: House as a serial killer, which basically should have had a knife in his hands running towards the mate.
Speaker 1: It was so scary one hundred percent. Ronnie ditches the mask and hops back at his bike, but he also puts on his helmet because safety first. But he doesn't get far. Camille catches up and now, no matter how much he tries to ditcher, the dog follows him home, even crossing a busy street and almost getting crushed. Jay saves her and decides he'll call the family later. Until then, though, Camille just needs to chill out. But the dog won't stop bothering him. Okay, this is where I'm like, what Okay, So the dog won't stop bothering him, repeatedly trying to sit next to him on the couch watching TV with him which to add insult injuries only playing war movies. But to try to stop Camille from barking, Jay checks the fridge to see if there's anything she might want to eat. He pulls out some spaghetti. As a dog owner, I'm like, oh, don't just be feeding this dog all this horrible stuff. But he pulls out some spaghetti and she goes to town on it. Then he offers her some meat loaf, then some chicken, then a hot dog, all housed. This dog must be starving. She didn't leave a crumb behind. Eventually she passes out, covered in food, stuffed and whimpering. But this dog clearly loves him. She does not want to leave his side. She wants to be next to him. And I'm like, okay, so this dog is finally going to get a life and fall for this guy and not want to go back, And this is what our movie is going to be about. Keep that in mind. Tracy then rushes over to Jay's house, who explains the whole story about why Camille is now following him. She asked the questions, that's of course on all of our minds, why not just call the Van Dusans budd He wonders, how will he then explain why he was in their house, which you don't have to. You can come up with a thousand lives about why you have the dog, especially because the maid saw him in a terrifying mask. But again, how is she going to know who it is? She suggests taking the dog back to the house and just leaving her there. Great idea, and so off he goes, but when he tries to abandon her, she doesn't want to stay at the house, once again following Jay and now flinging herself into his stupid little handlebar basket, which now we know why that's there. But the dog clearly loves him and does not want to leave him, Like I love you, tajh Mowray, I love you, taj Mowray. Take me. We're now back at home. Jay and Camille are retaking their spots. In the couch. Jay is pining over the Pedison school catalog, but he knows he's stuck in the military academy, and with that he dozes off to sleep. Meanwhile, at the Van dus In household, Eliza, Ronnie's mom is panicking because she can't find Camille. Ronnie carelessly throws his scholarship plaque on the floor, and Ward is startled by the maid by the way he got his plaque at the ceremony that night, but somehow already had the bumper sticker right. So yeah, the maid is now roaming the house with a spatula, still scared of the hockey mask intruder several hours later, and then just starts to beat ed Bagley like she doesn't know the difference between the short guy and the hockey mask and her boss, who she's probably worked for for years and years and years, made no sense whatsoever. It's not even dark.
Speaker 2: Was even dark at some point, though, You feel bad for the guy because everyone just hates him, like it's like no one under he's a dick.
Speaker 1: Ye, nobody likes She's taking.
Speaker 2: Any reason to use you and beat you with the spatula. Do he hates you? Your wife doesn't seem to care aboutue either.
Speaker 1: Noing like you. Your father in law doesn't like you. The dog doesn't like you, Your students don't like you, your son doesn't.
Speaker 2: I gotta don't. I mean, I kind of understand why he's just walking around and it's a huge asshole to everyone because mean to him in his life, the people he should.
Speaker 1: Be loved by, exactly. It's like Oscar the Grouche. Why are you so mad? Maybe because everyone's to me and I live in a garbage can? Yeah, same thing, but yes, so she's panicking. She hits him with the thing. She apologizes and tells him all about the poolhouse Melee. But Ronnie hasn't noticed any issues in his room, but Eliza isn't sold. She can't find her dog anywhere. Ronnie says the dog is probably just hiding. Eliza thinks it's much more sinister and is worried because without her medication, Camille has problems. Uh oh, And that's when I was like, okay, what are they doing? So now we're back Jay, who's just waking up from a nap, and Camille is breathing down his nose and growling with these weird puppet that they're using for this dog. Now, terrified, Jay begs the dog to calm down, but as soon as he moves, the dog chases after him, ready to bite. And so the dog we're supposed to understand is like it has split personality or bipolar or something where all of a sudden, this dog that clearly loved him is now a sociopath crazy, And I was like, wait, what the hell is going on? So when Jay stumbles on a house plant, Camille lunches at him, just missing his head by inches, literally trying to kill him. Finally he finds some protection by locking himself in a bathroom, and with a little different editing, I was like, is this now a horror movie? This is now Kujo? What the hell has just happened?
Speaker 2: Okay, worse, It gets worse, but it does well.
Speaker 1: So hours later, he's still in his bathroom, sleeping in the bathtub, and Camille is absolutely clawed at the door that this dog that loved him. Eventually, the barking stops, so finally Jay feels safe. He slowly exits the bathroom and the coast is clear, but the house is thrash. He tiptoes around surveying the mass amount of damage. She even destroyed his dead dad's baseball glove, which, for some reason that hurt he had out in the living room.
Speaker 2: It might have been like something that was like on a shelf for you know, a displade of some sort that hurt that hit me.
Speaker 1: I was, yeah, that was tough. That was tough. But I was still like, why did they change the dog? The dog just loved it? Okay. Then he almost stumbles on a frozen camale. She has fallen asleep on the carpet, so Jay quietly gathered some items, making sure not to wake her. Jay decides to cover the sleeping pup with a basket, and as soon as she starts barking, he sits on it, making sure she can't escape, and then uses electrical tape to secure the basket to the carpet, a strategy that has absolutely zero percent chance of working, but it's a d com so it works for a bit of a time. And in another feudal attempt, Jay places, of course, a vase or vase depending on where you're from, filled with marbles on top, and that's not going to backfire at all. All else fails. Just put a giant vase of marbles. The next morning, Jay has reconvened with Tracy. He knows his brother's going to flip out about the house, so he kept the dog overnight taped underneath the basket. Ye is that right? Okay? I hoppy that they need?
Speaker 2: Yes, this dog at least doesn't seem like has used the restroom in hours and act only that, but.
Speaker 1: He's also the sweetest dog in the world that just want to be rescued, which is what I thought it was. Now he's the craziest dog in the world. Yeah, so they need to return the dog, but can't figure out how. Tracy suggests calling the vandusans with a mysterious voice and telling them he'll be leaving Camille in the park for pickup. So he does what all kids do. He goes and finds his voice modulator and dials them up. Ward answers, and then Jay performs what can only be seen as a hostage call for ransom. Instead of giving in. Though Ward tells the captor to keep the dog, he doesn't want it, especially because he's allergic and he knows the dog doesn't have her medication. He hangs up, and Jay knows that he is screwed, and then he realizes Camille is no longer sleeping. He can't find her, but he knows she's somewhere, has a real Jurassic Park vibe from it, hiding from the raptors. Eventually, just when he thinks he's safe, Jay's attacked by the flying Pommeranian. They wrestle, and eventually Jay once again rushes off to the bathroom and this is again, this is the scene from There's Something About Mary where I was like, this is this what do you like?
Speaker 2: Because I just honestly I thought it was so funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was sure.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's definitely. I will say. One of the things is by this point you are realizing this is definitely when the d coms are being catered towards a young audience.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, very this is.
Speaker 2: A young audience. And so when you kind of get in that realm of thinking, like this dog, it's a tiny, like adorable little Pomeranian who has just lost its marbles, right, and it's just correct.
Speaker 1: But then set it up like set it up where the dog hates everybody but the mom, so everybody that goes near it starts to growl. He then attaches himself to the back of time bike and follows him home. And it's been a standoff the entire time. Don't make it to where the dog's awesome with Taj, like he's want to sleep next to him. He's the nicest person in the world. God, I love this dog so much. And then all of a sudden he gets crazy, because then if you start him crazy and then Taj wins him over and becomes b is one friend. It's a better arc for Taj. It's a better arc for the dog. It makes more sense. Whereas he's the sweetest dog in the world. He finally found a friend. Now he's insane, now he's friendly again. It did that didn't make any sense, And I get what you're saying. The actual and this is where Taj. You know, we keep talking about Shia, but this is where Taj is great. His physical comedy of wrestling the dog and jumping around from the dog.
Speaker 2: Great, Yes, really good and awesome.
Speaker 1: In a dcom You're right for younger people, if you're younger nine, ten, eleven years old, watching him wrestle this dog must have been hysterical, pay it off, make a bit, build it up. Maybe you know it's just from a story standpoint, Its like again, I know it's not written for fifty year old guys.
Speaker 2: But still but that but still, like you said, just in general, that's a better arc. That's a better like, a better win for Tage's character in the end of this like Psycho Dog, I mean, especially because you set it up as like a show dog. So you know when you watch cartoons with show dogs, what are they They're very prim proper. They don't want to do with anything. They are like this, like little Princess Dog if it was set that way before, and then the princess dog just like falls in love. That's a better win for the main character.
Speaker 1: This a total diva that hates everybody.
Speaker 2: And I can't lie. I was giggling. This was just like this. It's just sa is so good. I love physical, phenomenal comedy. His squeal is so good, like such a good bubessent boy, like you know, not that man voice yet, like it's the high note, like, oh, it's.
Speaker 1: So he's good. No, he's great. And the physical comedy was great. I just wanted I wanted it to be earned. But anyway, that's just me and my liking stories.
Speaker 2: And you've already stopped the movie four times by no, I think i'd made.
Speaker 1: It to this point. I think I'd made it to this point. So Jay's attacked by the flying Pomeranian. After he thinks he's safe, they wrestle, and eventually Jay once again rushes off to the bathroom, where he is trapped. Then a nightmare comes true when the dog finally cuts through the door like Jack Nicholson in The Shining Serious and again. All this if the dog had been crazy the whole time, you're escalating the craziness would be hysterical, but I was like, but he was just friends with the dog. Eventually, the dog burst into the room and slams Jay into the bathtub. Luckily, Jay uses the shower curtain to wrap the dog up and finally contain its madness. But almost immediately, Camille shoots out of the containment and bites on a Jay's leg. He like pops out and bites on it. He's screen in pain and runs off to the bathroom once again, but with the hole still in the door, Camille easily crawls through, and Jay throws himself out the window, landing in the driveway just in time to see his brother pull up a little bit early. The drill sergeant brother is already barking orders at Jay and has heard about the Peterson scholarship, but Jay is purely focused on making sure Mike doesn't enter the house yet. He blocks the front door and suggests going out to eat lunch, but Mike knows something is up When he does enter, he sees the destruction and assumes Jay through a party. He angrily chases his brother and in turn slips on those marbles, of course, throwing him to the air like one of the wet bandits from home alone, And just before he gets his hands on Jay, the kitchen cupboards starts shaking. What is that? Jay tries to convince him, hits nothing, and then at two hundred miles an hour, the dog comes flying out and attaches itself to Mike's face. And that got a genuine laugh from me. Yes, that was very funny. It was, but that's what I was like. I literally stopped and googled him, like when did this come out? I'm like, yep, this is after There's something about Mary. They watched that movie and went, what if we made this a decom. As his brother wrestles Camille off his nose, Jay hides in a closet, barely able to watch. Eventually, Mike breaks free and joins his little brother in the closet. Jay explains that the dog is Ward van Dousin's and lies, saying he was asked to babysitter. Mike pushes his little brother aside to show him how a real man does it, but he's immediately met with doggy aggression, forcing him onto a cracking living room table. Now with a half eaten shoe, Jay uses a dustbuster to ward off the dog from hell until the vacuum runs out of batteries. Out of options, the boys were cheat into the kitchen just in time for the dog to knock itself out by walking into a wall. Mike is he just walks in and boot that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mike is impressed by his brother's instincts and thinks he might have the equalities of a soldier after all. Elsewhere, Ward van Dousin's in his study is still playing that video game controller, which isn't the thing. When he's interrupted by his angry father in law, the real big wig of the school. He knows Eliza is upset about the dog and tells him to do whatever he can to find her or he will be replaced as the headmaster. Back at Jay's now, the brothers are cleaning the mess, and Mike promises some military drills when they're done. He also wants to call Ward van Duson to pick up his insane dog, but Jay stops him. He'll make the call himself, but once alone with the phone, Jay uses the voice modulater again and calls Ward, who's now willing to do anything to get the dog back, including offering five thousand dollars to meet at the ice skating rink. So now Jay is apparently doing a ransom handoff. Yes, this is a full give me back my son. Gotta love it. Jay convinces his brother to drop him off at the park, leaving out the ransom part Mike demands. He asks the headmaster for money to fix the house, which is tricky, and just then Camille wakes up from the kalma in the basket and explodes with barks and fangs. And this the the like little fangy face that was clearly a puppet. Was really freaky as they're like following this crazy little puppet dog around. Yeah, I know, it was nuts. Yes, the boys jump out of the car and run for their lives. As a result, the dog runs off. Okay, movie over, that's what I thought. Shut your car down, drive away like nothing ever happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah one saw you know, one nothing? Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I am out. But instead of chasing after, Mike goes back home and leaves Jay behind to tell mister van Dusen he lost his dog. Now the askiny renk Ward is getting anxious, thinking every random guy is a dog napper, but in reality Jay has already returned home pretending he returned the dog and Van Dusen didn't give him any money. Okay, so that's what they did. They're like, let's we're just it never happened, thank you very much. Mike is furious he came home empty handed, so instead of letting his older brother call the headmaster, Jay finally has to come clean. When the truth finally comes out, Mike can't believe how far his little brother let this go. This is the type of behavior that will get him crushed at stark Well, but Jay doesn't want to go to Starkwell. He wants to study art. Mike defends being in the service and explains that this type of situation can ruin his career. This becomes a larger argument between siblings about who is actually there for each other and an overall theme of missing their dad. It's a nice scene. Jay starts crying, telling Mike he hates them, and it all ends with them calming down and trying to figure out what to do with the dog. Mike suggests just letting it be out in the wild and letting someone else adopt it. Good idea, but the guilt seems to be weighing heavy on Jay Oh Gug because now he cares about the crazy dog. Mike also calls Van Duzon to talk about the presentation, but he just denies anything sketchy happened. Mike doesn't believe him and isn't willing to drop it. The plan now is to find the dog army style and accept the reward to make up for the missed scholarship that he was going to get to Peterson. Back at school, Ronnie is trying to convince Tracy to come to the pool party. Still this Ronnie is just macking on Tracy. Just as he finally leaves his crush alone, Jays called to the headmaster's office to talk about getting his wife's dog back. So Jay obviously thinks he's about to be busted, but Vanduzen just needs the student council to help posting five thousand dollars reward signs all around town, and the head master reveals whoever shows up for the reward is just going to get arrested anyway. This terrifies Jay, who immediately calls his brother to warn him. They decide to meet back up at their house later, while Mike calls the Headmaster as the dog Knapper with a new plan to meet it in nearby bakery. No cops. Now, Okay, he's now doing this on a payphone on a public street with the giant voice modulator.
Speaker 2: The size of a megaphone.
Speaker 1: It's a megaphone, it's a literal megaphone, and there's people walking up to him, and he's like, hey, man, do you mind him in the middle of a ransom call. I mean, it's the weirdest thing. And then he sends him to this bakery for no which we don't get a reason why he's just sending him all over. I think it's just because he wants to teach him a lesson, So he's just trying to embarrass him, right, because there's no reason for any of it. No, right, Okay, I thought maybe I'm missing part of No.
Speaker 2: It just seemed like it wasn't explained and it didn't really make that much sense. But what I assumed it was was him kind of giving a payback to like messing with that's what I figure too, and being a part of a situation where he's the adult and could have made he could have made it right from the book.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha. So at school, students are busy painstakingly making the signs by hand instead of photocopying him. This is because Jay is stalling for time. Now, why is he stalling for time? Because they haven't found the dog? Right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: They oh, right, yes.
Speaker 1: That's why they're stalling so they can find the dog. Yes, but he's in school and Mike's making calls, not looking for the dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not finding Yeah, he's he's trying to get time. I guess so that the cops don't get involved, I think is what they're trying to.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I think it's a pretty big stretch, you think, yeah, because I think we're all kind of just confused at this point. It made sense how how they were doing the posters, Like sure, they don't want they clearly don't want the posters up in case someone does find the dog.
Speaker 1: Is that why he sneaks half of them out right in front of them a foot away, puts him behind his back, which are not in any way of shape for me.
Speaker 2: To get it, so there wouldn't be as many posters for them to actually even hang up, because he says that at the all three hundred of them are not done. That the couple of them are going out to do some of the ones that they do have done, but that's his way to sneak in throat.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Okay, So none of that made sense to me because I still didn't understand what they were doing. But anyway, they're stalling for time. He even helps and picks the dumbest kids to staple them all over town. Head Master Van Dusen is aimlessly circling the bakery to no avail outside with a sheet cake while singing it'sy bitsy Spider. And that's when I thought I got a bad hit a weed where I was like, am I, what's happening? Am I really seeing this? I was like? And then I was like, Okay, so he's just trying to humiliate him for how he treated his brother. But they're stalling for time to find the dog, I guess, but no one's actually looking for the dog, right Scotch, Yes, okay, So Mike and Jay then to find the dog do what anybody would do. They get a bag full of whole rotisserie chickens and meat to drive around nearby streets. It is attached to the back of their car like a giant fishing line. The scent of poultry and meat brings a dozen or so dogs to the car, but no sign of Camille, And just when they're about to give up, they see her join the chicken loving pack and grab onto the bag like a fishing line. I think that's when I shut it off again. They dragged the pup through the area, eventually tossing her into a backyard trampoline, losing her once again. And this movie is insane. Yeah, Ward is still getting pressure from his father in law. The dog show is Friday, and Mike continues to waste the headmaster's time with meetups that go nowhere, which again I guess is still just them buying time to try to find the dog again. Now he's at a bowling alley where he needs to throw ten straight frames of gutter balls while wearing a woman's bathrobe and fluffy slippers, and obviously nothing comes of this, and that's when I was like, I think I shut it off again. But the brothers have found Camille in a different backyard, barking at a swimming pool. They approach her, slowly, capturing her with a pool net and landing her lovingly into Jay's arms. And now she's a perfect dog in love with Jay again? Was it? Yes? That was it? A perfect dog in love with jagb.
Speaker 2: I literally rewound thinking there was some type of when it's something that I missed because I mean, we know, I mean that, I mean I guess that's how they were able to. I don't know. It was just nothing.
Speaker 1: It just dogs. Dog's amazing again.
Speaker 2: And he tries to make a comment of oh, she just needed to run off all the energy, or she's just she never has she's always at the groomers and these kinds of explanations.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of like, and it's so easy to do. You don't have him save her in the beginning, crossing the street, they get home with her being an awful dog. She's been chasing the entire time. She's nipping at his heels, She jumps in the house, they do all the fun attack stuff, and then at the end here they find her and she's in some death defying whatever. Yes, he saves her life here and the dog falls in love with him.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's dirty, Yes, you know the obvious. She's trapped in a New York street pothole.
Speaker 1: Yes, the entire girl. They sing her out.
Speaker 2: And it makes more sense of why this dog I mean.
Speaker 1: Shows up, offers some record contract obviously.
Speaker 2: An easy fix with a dog.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you? How hard is that? My God said that? Then? Then, uh, this is what it hounded to takes place in Spain, falls in love with a guitar player.
Speaker 2: Uh, that hounded didn't turn into that.
Speaker 1: I'm ungrateful because in India, my god, it was crazy. Okay, so yeah, but no, they didn't do that.
Speaker 2: It is still getting That's where this movie went wrong, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is where they lost me. Is they easily could have sung the dog back into reality, but they did. God. Back at home, Camille is now acting totally normal. She just needed to burn off some energy by attacking everybody around. She needed to burn off energy, and apparently we find out later get laid because that's what happened.
Speaker 2: She literally, gosh, she did not even put that.
Speaker 1: Together, thank you. They even show her with her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, out there doing it like snoop doggie dog out there I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: So that's what she needed. She needed to run around, attack a whole bunch of people and have sex. Yeah, am I wrong? That's what happens.
Speaker 2: I did not even think about that.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go, My gosh, there you go.
Speaker 2: She met my dog bandon there exactly whoa crazy god?
Speaker 1: So they trade off. The trade off can finally happen now that the dog is back and perfectly normal again. But Vanduzen has called the cops and they've set up a sting at the school, so it doesn't look good for the boys. The headmaster wants the dog napper behind bars. Jays called back to the office not to get busted, but Van Duson wants three hundred new posters made now with the police hotline included. Jay tries to warn his brother about the police presence, but a girl who keeps saying no way, no way, no way, is holding up the payphone. So when Mike does call Van dus and the cops are already tracing him, but he hangs up just in time to stay undetected. Jay and Mike meet back up that night, with no sign of the cops in their tail. They know they can't just return her. Now their lives are going to be ruined. Jay apologizers are getting his brother involved and he'll take all the blame if they get busted. But Mike says they're in this together and they'll get out of it together. And with that, Jay announces he has a plan. Mike dresses in disguise to distract Roddy Well. Jay sneaks through the neighbor's yard to get to the poolhouse and when Mike here's a bird call, he'll need to leave. Amongst all this planning, Mike is impressed with Jay's drawings on the map he made just in case you forgot he wanted to be an artist, jess in case, Just in case. Jay says goodbye to the now perfect docile Camille and they place her in a basket for the long awaited return. Jay starts to check through the neighborhood backyards and is quickly caught by a guard dog looking one. He busts through a fence just in time and then is able to just stick the boards back on and they end up staying.
Speaker 2: I he's like leaning against them, and.
Speaker 1: Then he leaves and the board stay up.
Speaker 2: Yes they did, they did stay to perfectly balance.
Speaker 1: You rie attach them back on the wall, so he busts through the fence, barely escaping the attack. Mike arrives at Ronnie's pool house and while pretending to be a reporter from BMX magazine, he's wasting Ronnie's time. Who is Ronnie's holding an awesome nineties discman mine it still works. Ronnie is skeptical, but falls for it when he promises a free bike if he just answers a very time consuming survey. All this is to stall while Jay runs through the house yards like Ferris Bueller. He skirts past a kid's party and a pinata, then right into Ronnie's pool house. The bully is still busy with mike survey, so Jay returns Camille to his room, then calls Van Duzen to meet at the deli in an hour, but unfortunately the cops were able to trace the call this time. Oh, it seems like part of the plan. Jay says his final go by to Camille, the dog he now loves, because why not. They've been together for a half hour an hour and everything's been great, as opposed to the three days when the dog destroyed everything. Then Bird calls to his brother to end the survey, and once Ronnie returns to his pool house, he doesn't even notice the dog is back the cops and then they show the dog. They cuts the dog eating gummy worms for the cops have figured out that the call is coming from inside the house. It's from inside the house. The call like a horror movie. Yeah, it's their address, and they deduce it's coming from the pool house. His parents, grandpa, and the cops storm his room and they find him sitting near Camille. They all assume Ronnie was behind the dog, napping the whole time, hoping to get money for his new BMX bike. We cut to a new assembly and Jay is giving a speech, this time about how the city needs to be more handicap accessible, finally giving a reason for Tracy to have been put in the wheelchair because they brought it back to where he's His girlfriend or friend is now kind of his muse, very nice, and with that Jay wins the full scholarship, which is apparently stripped from Ronnie because of his cheating. Jay's mom and friends of in the audience, and Mike is finally proud of his little brother. Ronnie's grandpa has now taken over the school and informs Jay of his duties at graduation as the student body president. Ward van Dusen has become his father and last receptionist. Eliza rives with Camille and the dog clings to Jay for a reunion. She announces that the vet has cleared Camill of any psychological issues. She was probably just stressed. Okay, so they'd been medicating this dog for years when it didn't need it. He just needed to walk. And now the dog is gonna have puppies. Yes, that's right, let's get it on, and one of them is gonna go to Jay. Ward is concerned about his dog allergy, but Eliza says, with Ronnie going off to school, he can just move into the poolhouse. And I'm sure at this point he would love to do that, right Yit Back at the Starkwell Military Academy, Mike is back commanding his troops. All of the soldiers have passed their tests, and guess who's joining them. Ronnie van Duson, the little jerk, is now being bossed around by the fake BMX magazine reporter who got him there in the first place. And that's our movie, Sabrina. Can you give us our real reviews? You got the five star this week, and I'd love to hear who gave this movie five.
Speaker 2: Stars, somebody who was at least so willing to claim it.
Speaker 1: Our friend donmag nomage back.
Speaker 2: No need to claim this five star. Just an incredible, campy movie about dog stealing. Shilah Bluff plays a hilarious evil rich kid. Taj Mauri is essentially the same character as smart Guy, but slightly dumber.
Speaker 1: Five stars, five stars. All right, I've got the one star. Now. I don't agree with the one star, but I also don't agree with the five star. But this is from movie Attic twenty sixteen. I don't want to sound like some piece hippie, but the image of a boy being bitten an attack by a small dog could result in nightmares for children and headaches for the parents. Other than that small fact, this movie is still lousy. I wouldn't recommend it either way. Bad actors, bad dialogue, bad everything. Why I don't agree with that. Some of the dialogue wasn't great. The acting was not bad in this movie, and the cast is incredible. Yes, we're now coming to Sabrina's favorite portion of our program, and that is our feature presentation. The game this week is called Mix that Dog. In the modern era of dog breeding, weirdos have decided to put together different types of dogs to create these scientific experiment mashups that probably never should have made it in the first place. So we'll be given two breeds and we have to pick from multiple choice options which name these creatures have when they're mashed together. Three out of five wins. Oh God, here we go. Number Who are we playing with this week?
Speaker 2: I'm here.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's producer tre Great Heday. Number one. We have a chow chow and I assume all these are real by the way. We have a chow chow and a Siberian Husky. Is it a a south be a cybow, see a Tiberian or d a chosky?
Speaker 2: Ooh, I'm gonna go with d Chowsky.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say ce Tiberian. Sabrina's right, it's d Wow. I would love one and one.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make notes so I can look up what these animals look like.
Speaker 1: Good idea, Yes. Number two, a German shepherd and a pug. Oh, for the love of God, I hate to see that mating. Oh God, is it a a shug be a perman jepherd see a germug or D A pou guard.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna go as see germug.
Speaker 1: I am too, see germug.
Speaker 2: The answer is A A shug.
Speaker 1: Go for two. Okay, and you're one. You're one for two. Three A coyote and a dog.
Speaker 2: Oh it's coyote ces and right now it's everywhere around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all around here. Is it a coyote, A B A coy dog? See a cog or D A dio. I think it's a a diote, isn't it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I guess I'll go with you. Then A A diote? You are both wrong.
Speaker 1: The answer is be dammit, a coy dog. Terrible name. Uh so I'm all for three. I've already lost. You need to get the next two, right, Sabrina to win. Number four, A mastiff and a great Dane? Is it A A main? B A danif see a great mastiff or d A mate ganniff?
Speaker 2: I am a Maine.
Speaker 1: I'll say that too, a main. The answer is bugh, this horrible game. All right, So we both lost, but let's finish it out. Number five, A greyhound and a pointer. Is it a greyister? A Payhound, a Hounter, or a Grointer. I'm gonna pick d Greunter just because I like the sound of it and I know it's wrong, and I don't care de Greuter.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with a a Grayster.
Speaker 1: Sabrina's right, it's a wow. All right, So you got two out of five.
Speaker 2: I got two out of five. Damn it.
Speaker 1: That's terrible. Can we do a Sabrina ces please?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, So there was just some moments that really were, to be honest, these aren't the best Sabrina seas just I guess my kind of brain that's working while I'm watching it. It kind of at first wasn't very believable that Jay's brother was this, you know, bad military guy. He's yelling and doing his part when we first see him, but as soon as his I don't know, sergeant, I couldn't, I didn't the colonel General Colonel calls him over and and questions him about it. He becomes like so whiny, and that just was like, you would never be like that if you were really trained. There's just no way you'd be that whiny, like, oh well sorry, they just they don't get it. No, no, no, and I was like, whoa, and then he like gets back into character of what is thing. So that was just kind of funny. Oh okay, this secretary moment when first we find that this was another thing that I feel like they could have even beefed up more clearly they were trying. They it seemed like Ronnie probably stole the the you know Hall passes right.
Speaker 1: Right, yea, so they did.
Speaker 2: They kind of it, he's selling them, but it kind of just like breathed by it. It was like, and then brought up a little bit later, but these were this is just like a number of lists of things, like even when he got that was number one with Ronnie. But then it was like later on when he was like, oh, how did you know I lived here? And he's like, oh, you you get the magazines and he's like he didn't really, He's like, oh, I get them up the street. He should have been like you know what I mean, like diving into the fact that this kid is just like a jerk. He steals everything. He's obviously a klepto. Like there's just things about him that they just like let happen, but didn't blow it up because I think that would have made more reason towards the end of the movie for us to really be happy that Ronnie's the one that got you know, pinpointed for this, because other than that, it's kind of like, yeah, he's like a jerk little kid, but now he's in military school. Yeah right, yeah, okay. So but also with the secretary part, when she got up and her headset was still on the way, she reacted like, oh, I do that.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 2: I swear that had that looked like it was an accident that she just like went with, yeah, it's the way she got it was like, oh, I do that all the time, and just like kind of kept moving. I was like, I would have loved to know if that was a blooper, that that she made work kept right, yep, that they just that she made work the basket. These kinds of things with Disney movies, I think are funny to watch as an older I don't think I would have really one hundred percent noticed his weird basket like that. Like, first of all, boys that age don't have bikes with baskets anymore. But not only then that it wasn't even like a kind of a cool like leather or like some kind of you know Indiana Jones vibe. It was like a like a backing basket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a basket, and so that's.
Speaker 2: The kind of stuff. I think it's funny to like clock because I probably would not have noticed that when I was younger, but like, as like a grown up, you're going no like boys, you know, kids that age, girls are no longer the white woven basket with daisies on. So it was just funny to kind of note, like, that's definitely something that is different now rewatching movies or watching them these movies at the same time, the random kiss threw me off again. I just really had a hard time because if they would have that's another thing with the writing, if they would have pulled it in at the end to like make it like now he got his real kiss, he's doing his whole presentation for her and her her situation. But no, it just was like a missed thing. The next thing was because of you and Taj and obviously they didn't know we would be rewatching this, but how funny. There's a moment where Ronnie says something call me or you know, beat me, fax.
Speaker 1: Me, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I would have loved that impossible, like call me, beat me if you want to reach me. Oh I don't, but could you imagine if it was that and he ends up doing christ Like a show with Christie, Like, oh my god, that would have been too much.
Speaker 1: I just like it was such much Disney.
Speaker 2: We didn't say. When we saw the cameo from our girlfriend, we did say it. It is when the poster making. For everyone that might want to watch this, it's when they're making the posters and he assigned someone to go with them. Did the boys to go with them to pass them out? The girl who questions it because those boys didn't even finish any of their posters. We've got our girl right there. She has like one line, are you kidding me? They haven't even finished their posters? And then we move on. But it's her first total, first moment on Disney. You cannot forget her gorgeous face. She's adorable in this movie. She's young, she's fun, she's bright, she's perfect for Disney. That's my last one. Oh no, it's a bitsy spider. You passed right over it, I said, so, I know. But these little moments, although they were silly, that's when we got to see him do some really funny, just comedic, like silly stuff, got him in silly positions. He's falling on the ice, he's doing the singing thing. It's wacky, it's wacky, and for some reason he's singing, went up the dlane and he's rolling his rs in the weirdest way. But to me it was like, this showed him in a wacky, fun comic thing, and like when you've got such a funny actor, you've got somebody who's just so great.
Speaker 1: Giving him a.
Speaker 2: Couple scenes like this was actually I thought, Golden, I just.
Speaker 1: Wish it was earned. But yes, he's great. He was always great. Well that's it, Thank you so much. We now, of course come to our part of our program. We have to rate the film we saw. We're doing one out of ten this week. We're giving it the most time, and we'll make five in the middle those weeks. You do so, I know, But here are our possibilities this week. One out of ten dcom Dead Dads, let's not pick that one. One out of ten unusable video game controllers, kick pool houses, President Jackie Chan's, one at a ten Spanish rice epidemics. One out of ten infected hash Browns, quickly printed bumper stickers one out of ten, backfiring jars of marbles, barks and fangs one out of ten. Bags of whole rotisserie chickens one out of ten. Ronnie Diskman's or I'm gonna add one out of ten? Nuzzling Gerbils. What would you like to pick? Sabrina? It is up to you your pick this week, and I hope you pick nuzzling gerbils, but that's just up to me. So what is your pick? Gonna be?
Speaker 2: Nuttling?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so glad you picked nuzzling germil that it doesn't make it better. It doesn't make it better when you add the visual. I'm telling you, it doesn't make it better. O yikes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't remember who rates first?
Speaker 1: Do you remember who goes first?
Speaker 2: Uh? It's my turn? Oh man? Okay, So this movie actually was an easier watch than others, I will say, and I know what I really supposed to compare them to others, but it was It wasn't a movie. I will say. There was moments where I was possibly, you know, folding laundry, doing things, watching, but I didn't have to turn it off for me again, and I really put that on how great this cast was. It made it to where for me going to you know, getting too into the particulars I was able to, especially because the cast was young. You could tell Shiah was so young, you know, Taj like you just you were. I was able to recognize him, keep my brain in the idea of like this was early or Disney, which means this d com was geared towards a fourth to sixth grader, right, like a younger a younger demo than what I think the d coms are now. And so I it didn't sit high as well we've been seeing, but it certainly wasn't as low as we've gone. I mean, when I think of the last time with Taj we saw push point point. This was for me a lot better than that. So I gave this one a six point five nuzzle Langer.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all right. You know I'm not too far away from you, Okay. The only reason I'm not too far away from you is because of the cast. Yes, the cast is great. The story, a lot of it made absolutely no sense to me. The dog being nice and then being mean and then being nice again, and it turns out it just needed to run around and have sex. Was weird. A lot of the story just didn't make sense. But again Taj and then Shia and then you throw in Ed Bagley Junior. I mean that's gonna save it to me. So I'm giving this one. I will give it because of the cast and the cast alone, I'm gonna give it six. Okay, Gerbils. Any other cast this would have been a two or three to me where because the story was just really weird. But the cast saved it because they're great. So yeah, very excited. But let's see what our next movie is gonna do. Our next movie is a cult classic and just in time for her return to music and the opening in a mom friend group. Hmmm. We've got Hillary duff In, Cadet Kelly. It also stars my good friend Christy Carlson Romano, So this is going to be a fun one. It is streaming right now in Disney Plus, so if you're the type who does their homework a week before it's due, then get on it. But before that, guys, oh, we have a really special Park Copper episode for you. We interviewed our first ever actor who sat in the Dabney Reynolds chair. Yes, we classed this place up with actor and activist six time Emmy nominee, the legendary Ed Bagley Junior. I swear to god, this is real, and with all the history on his resume, we somehow decided to talk to him about how did So let's get a little preview of what to expect.
Speaker 3: Being in Salt Lake with fun. I've been there before and I loved working on the movie. And the script was charming and funny and it's quirky, and we enjoyed it, you know, we enjoyed every minute of it. And I had my daughter with me by at that point, very young daughters, he's about two or something. So ever in a little peak park of walking around around Salt Lake, and the snow was great. We don't get ato snow in La so she was in heaven.
Speaker 1: It was such an awesome conversation. Yep. Still can't believe he came on the show. You don't want to miss this one, so make sure you are subscribed to the dedicated Magical Rewind feed so it ends up in your library the moment it's released. And for more info, you can follow us at Magical rewind pod which is on the Instagram machine, which is on your telephonic device right there in your pocket. You can do that now, Thanks everybody, Bye bye