Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Tuesday. I hope you had a great weekend. Gangs all here refreshed, ready to go Fritzy of course the Minister of Humor and inadvertently accidentally provided some humor in the first hour of the program as we learned that bears apparently can spawn. I thought that only samon could, but Todd found out that bears can spawn in video games. In video games, yeah, seems to go.
Speaker 3: To the next level of research. And that's something that could happen maybe in a video game, but not in real life.
Speaker 2: Really not in real life bears they don't spawn. They just have cups. They hybridate and have cups.
Speaker 4: There's no eggs involved, I guess or something.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, I don't think that's how it works. But thank you Todd. You continue to add value to that NYU educre.
Speaker 3: It is yes, that gonna have you back to make a speech or you know, send the graduates on their way.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine they would have you come back for a commencement speech.
Speaker 3: I haven't gotten anything yet from them corresponding success more money.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be waiting at the at the mail box.
Speaker 4: That's all they're looking for.
Speaker 2: Long commencement speech, A long, long commencement speech. So Fritzy is here, Seaton, mar Paul yours truly the brg's We'll talk to Jim Jackson covering the NBA playoffs, the Fox Turner basketball analyst. The Knicks are two and a half point underdogs of the Pacers coming up tonight. The Thunder up three to one on the Timberwolves. As SGA gets his MVP and then acts like one and gets forty points eight seven seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by, we'll get some more phone calls, your best and worst of the weekend. By the way, it was on this date back in nineteen eighty one, and it was a big moment. And I remember it because I got a chance to watch this guy play, but the rest of the country did not really get a chance to see him play. Doctor j won the MVP in the ABA, and on this date in nineteen eighty one, won the MVP in the NBA. There's a couple of players who missed their window to showcase their greatness. Elgin Baylor was one of the first longtime Laker great. I think that Kareem Abdul Jabbar lu Al Sindor when he was with the Bucks, when he was first starting out. Oscar Robertson spent most of his career in Cincinnati. Only known for one thing, and that's the triple double, but he was so much more than that. Jerry West, his playing career was unbelievable, but he kept losing in the finals. He only won one title. Wilt Chamberlain's different. You know, Wilt was Babe Ruth with the NBA. But Doctor J was one of those players that there was just nobody like him. And he wasn't as refined as you know, some of the great players, but you know, as far as athleticism on the break, dunking on people transition was, he was spectacular. And I go back to that Portland Trail Blazer series when the seventy six ers what two games to none on Bill Walton and the Blazers, and you know, I think we thought it was going to be a sweep and then it was Portland won four in a row and Doctor J was unbelievable in that series. Unbelievable. And that was a sixer team that had stars, maybe too many stars, but Doc was he was just different. He was at a different level. And to have seen him in the ABA two games. I saw him play one against the Kentucky Colonels, but it was just different. You didn't have somebody. I had not seen somebody like him when he came along, but he just he missed out on that window of opportunity. And I'm trying to think, I'm sure there's other players, but those are the ones that come to mind where you go God that if you look back, nobody was doing what he was doing.
Speaker 5: Yes, I just remember being a kid and seeing Doctor J and being like, WHOA, that dude is different. That's amazing what he's doing. And then that seemed to in my mind anyway, handed right off to like Dominique Wilkins, where it was like, did you see that guy dunk?
Speaker 2: That was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: They were just doing things that nobody else seemed to even understand.
Speaker 2: And growing up in a small town in Ohio, we would read about this. You'd read about Doctor J that he went to Rutger Park and he's playing in the league and dunking on people and dominating, and you know, you're just Crowds would come out to see him that you know, they'd be on buildings, they were in trees, they were however, you could get a glimpse of Doctor J. And it became so powerful of And I remember they were playing a preseason game in Cincinnati and got to go over and see him. And I just remember watching him and lay up line. So I'd go down on the floor and I would just be underneath the basket. I'd just be standing there, not like right under but behind it, by the stanchion they call it. And I just watched him just everything about him, and he had these massive hands and he just he seemed to float. But he missed out on that. Now he's one of the all time greats. He's not mentioned. When's the last time Doctor J was mentioned in the top fifteen of all time greats? And okay, maybe he's not if you look at the stats, if I combine ABA and NBA, if I combined you know, his style contributions to the game, Like he's he's one of the great talents. I mean, we Mike is obviously the greatest player. Okay, Doctor J had all of that talent, but he missed his window. He missed his window. You know, Jordan's games were all on TV. You can go back and watch all of those. You know, Kareem when he came in with the Bucks, Oh my goodness, we had not seen that ever. You'd never No, we saw him in college, but in the NBA you'd never seen a big man who had that much style, jazz type moves. But I just remember Doctor j I'm glad I got to see him play twice and he didn't disappoint. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Paul Julius Irving played five years in the ABA before nineteen seventy six. He was the MVP three out of those five years. The other two years he finished second. When he got through the NBA, he finished top five for MVP four times after age thirty.
Speaker 4: That's tough to do.
Speaker 6: But when Magic and Bird are entering the league, Doctor J's twenty nine years old, so he's going on the back half. Stats were still really good. But he's the ultimate example. If he were born four years later, five years later, it had been Bird, Magic, Doctor then handing off to Jordan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, here's Doctor j An MVP in nineteen eighty one. Bird and Magic are just coming into the NBA and then they took it to another level, obviously, and then all of a sudden, you know, Jordan came in and said, I'll take it from here. By the way, it was ten years later. So this is nineteen ninety one when the Pistons walked off the floor. When so there's seven point, there's almost there's like eight seconds left, and this is when the Bulls swept the Pistons to go to the NBA Finals. And that's when Isaiah and company walked off the floor. There was eight seconds to go.
Speaker 4: And I mean.
Speaker 2: That was a rivalry, but let's keep in mind the Pistons were the ones winning the rivalry. The Bulls caught him and then beat them, and the Pistons acted like children walking off the floor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Pulling the other thing about Julie's irving, he had three versions of the same nickname. He went by doctor j the doctor or Doc. If you'd listen to different calls. I was watching YouTube, but like when you're a kid, you're here, Oh the doctor had forty four last night?
Speaker 4: You didn't you need to use a name?
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, Seeden, I feel like you've called him doc before? Am I making that up? I have called him doc.
Speaker 5: I feel like we maybe that time was did you talk to him in the airport that day? Airport and you're like, hey, Doc, I'm almost positive you said that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was there towards the end of his career. I don't know if it was his last game, but it was a playoff game, and I just remember he was in the trainer's room and he was icing down his knees and it felt like he put his palms on his kneecaps and his fingers went down like to his ankles. It was like, you know, et if et was going to have a model after his hands, you know, with more fingers, it would have been doctor j Phone. Oh and I just remember, Doc look beaten, you know when you see somebody towards the end of their career. And you know, he used to wear those knee braces, and I mean the number of times that he jumped, dunked, landing on asphalt, you know, not having the great shoes. But uh, yeah, he was there and then all of a sudden, Burden Magic took it and they didn't give it back until Jordan took it from them. So just decide story there. Kyle in Missouri leads us off this final hour. Hi Kyle, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: Kyle six three two twenty Dan pleasure?
Speaker 4: Hold on, Dan?
Speaker 8: Are you there?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: I am, Kyle, Yes, I am.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, I'm watching on CAI Who'll run?
Speaker 2: Never mind now, we'll do it again sometime. No no, no, no no no, Kyle. If you're just you're just figuring out things you waited a long time to. Maybe another day, Kyle, Okay, Jamie and Oklahoma, Hi Jamie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Heybe Pete? Great script writing today?
Speaker 7: That Baron Salmon bit that Fritzi wrote, Oh amazing?
Speaker 4: Uh, Fritzy, what's up?
Speaker 7: Kelly Slater of.
Speaker 4: Comedy over there?
Speaker 3: I really wish.
Speaker 7: We keep this going.
Speaker 4: We're gonna win.
Speaker 6: We got us to sports, Ammy baby, we got us one.
Speaker 4: All right now? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Jamie. Yeah, I wish that we could script things that were that funny that Fritzy telling me that bears spawned. Let's see Howard in Indiana. Hi Howard, what's on your mind today? Morning?
Speaker 9: Dan?
Speaker 8: First time, long time?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was catching up on your show this weekend through the podcast, and I listened to your interview with Wayne Gretzky, and I know in the past you've kind of made mention of what a genuinely down to earth, pretty decent dude he is. When you asked him if he was the greatest hockey player of all time, his response actually caused me to choke up because he said right away, no, no, no, and then he paid tribute to Gordy Hall and Bobby Hall. And I mean, clearly he's the greatest hockey player of all time. But I don't even think he was being falsely modest in that moment. I mean, in this day and age of self promotion that I just that response was so refreshing. And even when you asked him if he held a grudge against anyone, he was sort of taken aback. I think he responded like me, oh no, no, no, that was awesome. I just wanted to share my thoughts on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Once again, if you're ever around him, you would never know that that's one of the greatest hockey players or the greatest. And to live up to the hype we talk about Lebron James living up to the hype, Gretzky had more heighte than anybody. They were calling him the great one when he's ten or eleven and he is acting like the great one, and then he comes into the WHA and then you know, eventually goes to the NHL. And he lived up to and surpassed that. And I think that's the remarkable part of it. And when you see him, you, I mean, it looks like he's five ten, one hundred and sixty and he he understood the game. That's why we always get caught up in oh my god, look at that guy, that size or what it's you have to understand the game. If I put Eric Lindross and I'm Wayne Gretzky, and I say who had the better career? I mean, Wayne looks like Eric Lindross's agent, Like he'd be like, oh, that's that's his agent there not he's the best player in hockey. Now there's other players. To me, I think Mary Olemieux could have ended up as the greatest player of all time. That size, that speed, dexterity, he was unbelievable. Uh you know, had cancer, but what he did when he did it, for as long as he did it, he was remarkable. You know, you get an argument that Messier was a better player than Wayne or GORDI Howe was I mean, that's for the hockey purist to decide. I was just talking about the personality. And it's rare when you meet people that you would and they live up to what you thought they were going to be or who they were going to be. And he certainly is that person, every bit that person, nothing but respect for him. And there's nothing bragging. He could easily brag. There's no brag. There's not even a humble brag. He didn't even joke about that, and he could easily do that.
Speaker 6: Yes, bo, if you want to have fun sometime, go to Hockey Reference and just look back at Wayne Gretzy's stats. It looks like they've been hacked because they don't look real. At age nineteen, he had fifty one goals, eighty six assists, one hundred and thirty seven points, won all the trophies and he was nineteen.
Speaker 2: You know, they need to name the MVP Trophy after wayneam. I mean, you know that's where I'd like when we move forward with things. I know that we go, Oh, you know, it's tradition er. Don't want to lose sight of, you know, a previous generation. I understand all of that, but like Therry O'Brien Trophy. That's for winning an NBA championship. Okay, you know, but maybe something different the MVP. I've said, you know, the Bill Russell Ward or Larry and Magic and the Eastern Conference Western car like then it's you get more things involved than you do appreciate the history of the sport. I don't want to erase all the great things about you know, prior generations, but I also want to acknowledge another generation that came after them. And why not just name the MVP Afterueno. I think that'd be fine. He might not want it. I mean, go back to if you want to have a humble but I mean Jerry West was the logo, although the NBA didn't acknowledge that, but he's the logo. I think he was embarrassed that he was singled out as the logo. I do, and Jerry never talked about his career, but he was extremely competitive, extremely but it wasn't about you know him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I couldn't tell if Jerry West was embarrassed that he was the logo or annoyed that the league wouldn't admit it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like he seemed to be a little like man it'd be cool.
Speaker 5: To maybe get some more of what came along with being the logo rather than just sort of this loose idea that we think it's Jerry West.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The fact that they can find the picture that they took the artwork from, I mean, that's that's it's derived from this picture, and I go, how can you deny that that's not Jerry? But they would have owed him a lot of money, a lot of money, and I don't think it was that for Jerry as much as just you know, if you're saying I mean that's me, just say it to me. Yeah, I mean, it's okay, what Pauline.
Speaker 6: They should have given Jerry West one check in perpetuity. Here's three million dollars and we get the rights to the logo forever. And Jerry West probably would have taken it three million, have done a lot of good work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe ten million, sure something. Now do you change the logo at any point? Do you change it and make it someone like Michael Jordan, even though he has his own logo. Mike's not going to give that to you, by the way, that's not happening. I don't know if we change I mean, I love the logo. But I don't know if we move forward with any other sport where you go, you know what, we're going to change that. That's that guy because of you know, the licensing deals with this, you probably can't get away. If the WNBA did that with Caitlyn Clark, there'd be an outcry. Of course, anything with Caitlyn Clark, there's an outcry. It's still amazing, you know the people who use that as a platform. Angel reson Caitlin Clark to tell us what's really deep seated in them. They use her in this rivalry and it's really sad. I mean the Ryan Clark you know RG three, I mean, that is ugly and nobody wins. And I was embarrassed. I was embarrassed for Ryan Clark. He since apologized. But that's deep rooted stuff that's on you. Has nothing to do with these two women there. It's on you. Let me take a break. We'll talk to Jim Jackson. He'll join us. Coming up next to your Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen. Live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 10: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich Nix are only two and a half point underdogs tonight against St. Indiana. Get to more of your phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handlelydpshow. He's Jim Jackson, Fox Turner, NBA also college basketball analysts joining us on the program. I've just spending a little time reminiscing about guys who missed their window. You know, when Bird and Magic came in, and then Mike came in and the bad Boy, you know, anybody before that, Kareem I think got short sighted a little bit. Doctor J did. And I got a chance to see Doc play twice in the ABA and wow, so it was just different. That was he was playing against the Kentucky Colonels who had Dan Issel and had a really really good artist Gilmore was on the team, and Doc was just dunking on people in traffic like it was like a wild and I had not seen somebody play like that. Have you met Doctor J.
Speaker 12: Yes, that was my Ironically, I grew up a Sixers fan because of Doc. Now from Ohio, but it was close to Philly, so I grew up idolizing the fro.
Speaker 4: And it was moving.
Speaker 12: I wanted to try to have an afro like Doctor J. And you know at that time too, you know NBA Finals, I think when they played the Magic his rookie year and that thing was on take the lay back in the.
Speaker 4: Day, remember that.
Speaker 12: But I met Doc at the ninety five All Star Game in Phoenix. I still had that picture and that was like a oh you know that moment when you see Doctor J walking in the room, He's like glide and you know, in slow motion, it was like, that's Doc. But then Dan I got to really get a chance to know him via the Big Three with Ice CBS League because he's one of the coaches.
Speaker 4: But more importantly, we were.
Speaker 12: In China with the NBA NBA China Games in twenty eighteen. That was Lucas rookie year and Doc was there and we really had a chance to just hang out and spend time because he's an abbot like me, cigar smoker, so I would make sure that I have a play set up that we go to that we can sit and smoke and talk.
Speaker 4: And he was telling stories. You know, he was with the Atlanta Hawks in camp. Did you know that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, about it wouldn't him.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't let him play.
Speaker 12: Yeah, think about that, Dan, if he would have stayed with the Hawks, how history could have been different because he's with the Virginia Squires at the time.
Speaker 2: US Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then went to Atlanta.
Speaker 12: He was in camp the NBA said, he said, if Doc plays, you have to forfeit the games that he plays in, and that's how he ended up getting to the New Jersey Newts and eventually of course at the Philadelphia seventy six ers. But spending time with him and it's a different He's just it's something about people have aura, and Doc definitely is that person that has.
Speaker 2: I was covering the NBA Finals with the Bulls and the Jazz. We were in Utah, and Jim Gray says, when you get done with Sports Center stuff, you want to join me and Doc We're going to be playing golf. And I'm like, I'm there, and uh so we get there. We're playing golf and then there's a backup on like the fifteenth hole and there was a basket ball hoop. There was a like a house right you know, behind the tea box, and there was a basketball out there. And I said, I said, Doc, you want to go shoot. So we went over in golf shoes and we're so I'm shooting hoops and I said, Doc, would you stand under I lowered the basket to I think eight feet and I said, would you stand under the hoop? I want to dunk on you. Doc went and stood under the hoop and put his hands up, and then I dunked on him.
Speaker 8: What.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just more surprised you still got up on the eight foot rim.
Speaker 2: I'm just putting on an aerial display man.
Speaker 12: Hey, listen, I played Doc, we played, We're at Big three. We played golf in Tulsa. And I love Doctor Death and I'll tell you how smooth he is and everything is melodic and everything, but sometimes he can be slow in the golf course too.
Speaker 2: Though he wasn't a great as a golfer, he was a great dunker. So I I love what Giannis has brought up. Well, we brought it up a while ago, and that's everybody outside of the United States versus the United States and the All Star Game. And I said, well, what do you have to lose, Like we've already lost the All Star Game, maybe you can get it back. And I certainly like my starting five with you know, the players from outside the United States. What's the negative to this?
Speaker 12: That the negative to me is that you have to search for a way for guys to play hard and search for incentive to make the game interesting because we're going through all this Dan the Elon system captains picking their teams different iterations of the All Star Game because it falls back on the players and not really wanted to play and play hard at the end of the day. When when when the top players really want to play and you I'm not saying you're going to go out, you know, one hundred miles per hour and try to hurt yourself, but you know on that second quarter, that third quarter, that fourth quarter, when it's time to compete, when you're playing defense. And again I go back to you know, the eighties and nineties, two thousands, early when the games were played hard, okay, and it wasn't just a dunk contest.
Speaker 4: That's what bothers me that we have to.
Speaker 12: Search that the NBA has to search for reasons to incentivize the players to really go out and play hard. So why are we looking at europe European players versus United States?
Speaker 2: Why because because we can't get them to play hard, you say, for your country. And if the players are the team world beat the Americans, now you have something. Now you have, oh my goodness. Then the next year like now we have something. I don't watch the All Star Game because I said it's a glorified layup line. I couldn't. I don't care even the dunk contest. I don't care. Three point You can still dress that up. Yeah, you NBA and NBA you could have prior like Del Curry and Steph Curry could be a team. You know, you could. You could do something like that, and I'd be fine with that. But this to me, if if the world beat Team USA, I think at least it has a pulse.
Speaker 4: Well, how does it?
Speaker 12: But here's the thing too, how do you Well guys get left out because of this? And with regards to the number of players, well, the number of players too, because if you think about it, if you get a twenty five players or twenty four players or whatever it may be, and now you're looking at placing a European team together American team, that means you can need twelve European players, right, They's say you got twelve on the bench. I mean twelve on the team, but ironically maybe five to eight are your real All Stars. So that means now you're putting another four to five players that are there that are taking spots from other players who should be All Star. Okay, so you run into that dynamic too. It sounds great, but when you're voting for the All Star team, you pick the twenty four to twenty five best players the All Star Ironically, they're not going to be the majority're going to be American players, but you have to fill out that roster if is the European team, and that means on the American side, it's going to be guys that deserve to be an All Star that don't end up making it if you go that way. Not again, I don't know how they'll the process a beat, but I think you have that as something that you really have to look at on how that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's fair. I do. But I'm just trying to have the All Star Game mean something, and this might be your last ditch. Deefford talking to Jim Jackson Fox Turner, NBA college basketball analyst. The Knicks or two and a half point underdogs against the Pacers. What happened in that fourth quarter that Indiana forgot to do or Indiana or the Knicks you know, remembered to do well.
Speaker 12: I think you got to give a lot of credits to the Knicks. It was of course car Antony Town's got reactivated. I mean he really played extremely well, and you know, he played assertive. I thought it was some shots that he took early they kind of built the defense out. But you got to give og Ananobe credit. He played extremely well. Miles McBride, Deuce McBride came in and played extremely well. I mean he had a critical role, you know in that game, in particular in the fourth quarter, not just offensively, but defensively too, kind of making some things happen. And when you're you know, in this situation, you play a little bit desperate. You now O two, I mean down two oh on the road, and really the pressure is kind of more on even though it's pressure on.
Speaker 4: New York to it.
Speaker 12: Don't get me wrong, because you go down three to zero, it's you know, it's basically over, but you're not expected to kind of win that game just based on how the series was going.
Speaker 4: Even though this was you think about this.
Speaker 12: Then it came every game came down to a one or two possession game, okay, and that New York probably sat back and said, you know, if we cleaned up what happened in the third quarter, some turnover, some tough shots, not giving up an offensive rebound, we win those two games at home.
Speaker 4: And that's the mentality you have to have.
Speaker 12: And other guys really stepped up, my I mean, Michel Bridges stepped up big time, made some great defensive plays, offensive plays, and a lot of that was done, you know, Dan with Jalen Brunson sitting on the bench, you know, and that says a lot about the character of that New York team. Now, can it be duplicated, We don't know. But you play hard, you give yourself a chance to win, you don't turn it over. And the ball moved a lot more late in that fourth quarter, the last five minutes. That gave New York opportunities to be able to score the ball and eventually win the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, it's not fair to say it, but it is real. They'll move the ball more with Brunson not ball dominant. Well, I'm not saying that you win without him, but it's a different it's a different Knicks team or style that they seem to capitalize on. Whether that, you know, I still think that Tibbs needs to play more guys. You know, he's stuck on like six guys. But you have some guys who have experience and put him in there, and they had to out of necessity with Brunson, but it just felt like the ball moved a little bit more and they benefited from them.
Speaker 12: Well in the last couple of games too, well, he went with the change in the starting lineup. Okay, move Josh Hart back to the bench. He played Landry Shammitt, you know, in the game. But here's the thing, because we got a snippet of about five and a half minutes of no Brunson right when he left game in the fourth quarter, came back in with about a minute something left, and everybody's saying, well, it looks better without Brunton. Yeah, but you know what, Brunton was there to both the game, to get you to that point. So you can have a snippet of it. But imagine if Brunton is not there for the totality of the game. This is a different New York team now, you're asking guys to do this for fifteen twenty twenty five thirty minutes to be able to do what we saw in five minutes.
Speaker 4: That's a different ask, you know.
Speaker 2: And I agree lazy analysis on people, they say, but it makes sense, you know, in that it made sense.
Speaker 4: It made moments.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like when people said the Celtics are better without Tatum.
Speaker 4: Stop it.
Speaker 2: Exactly by the way, Tyre's Haliburton's dad's allowed back in the building.
Speaker 4: But only in this week. No word near the court.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have a family member create an incident not a game.
Speaker 12: No ever, and I had, you know, I was fortunate my my father, my mother, they weren't. They were always in the background. Never, No, that's my son out there. I mean high school, college and the pro.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: My relatives who came to the game that were really close to me. They were just so happy and the lady to be just in the building a lot of times to be and see other players play, but proud of what I've done.
Speaker 4: But never friendsmates. No, I've never played with a teammate that now.
Speaker 12: I had some that I ever have over the top, let's say parents or crew. Yeah, maybe a little bit, but not to where it never interfered with the game. No, maybe at practices or doing stuff or trying to travel and be at stuff. Yeah, that part, but not what we saw were on the court after a game in another player's face.
Speaker 4: I didn't have I didn't experience that part.
Speaker 2: I like what Okay he did, and that is I don't want your best player to beat me. Now you do run the risk of the other players. And the other players played really well for the Thunder. But Anthony Edwards saying basically, I didn't have a bad game, like you know, I made the right choices here where do you stand on the field? Goal attempts were limited for the best player on your team.
Speaker 12: Well, that's very mature of Anthony Edwards and it's a correct analysis.
Speaker 4: Being this. OKC made it a point in.
Speaker 12: Particular lou Dort that Anthony wasn't gonna get a lot of airspace. You know, in the previous game he had a lot of good isolations on the wing. He was able to get one on one.
Speaker 4: But when you're.
Speaker 12: Facing this OKAC team, think about this. What you want to do is you want to get a mismatch. Everybody wants to figure out a mismatch. So when Anthony Edwards, who initiates the offense, comes down and sets once that pick and roll up top with Holme, Grin or Hardenstein, it's incumbent upon the guy that's guarding to get over that screen. So now you don't have a switch and you're basically back to one on one defense.
Speaker 4: And that's what lou Dort did most of the night.
Speaker 12: He stayed, he got over those screens, so now you don't have a mismatch. And when they did, they loaded up on an So the thirteen shots was a result of excellent one schematically designing a defense that works, but two the commitment for OKC players to really execute that scheme. Because you could have a scheme all you want, and coaches will tell you that they say, listen, we lost this game because we didn't execute our game plan.
Speaker 4: Well that wasn't a case for OKC man.
Speaker 12: I mean, whoever was in that pick and roll situation or needed to be around Anthony Anderson, they did a heck of a job. And then when he went into traffic, he was double triple team and had to get rid of the ball.
Speaker 2: Most annoying defender you ever faced.
Speaker 12: Muggsy Bogus, not even close, not even because my second year we traded. I was in Dallas and we traded uh Jared garper Right to New York.
Speaker 4: So I'm playing point guard. Man.
Speaker 12: We played Charlotte, and you know, Muggsy's five two with with with some insoles in okay, and he'll pick you up full court and he gets up underneath you, and the annoying is all I'm like, man, just here's the ball.
Speaker 4: I'm gon get it back over half court.
Speaker 12: But because people don't understand how strong Monkey Bogus was at the time, even though he was didn't have the height, but his advantage was the further you wore away from the basket. His speed is quickness and its size wasn't a liability and not annoyed the heck out of me. When I played against Charlotte and had to bring it up against a smaller quicker and a defensive minded point guard like like Muggsy Bowls, I still hate to see him coming.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Muggy, may get out of here, man.
Speaker 2: He was actually five to two five three.
Speaker 4: I said what I said, what insoul's in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it amazing? Though? Somebody that size could could have a lengthy career in the NBA.
Speaker 12: Look at yeah he look at Spudweb. Spud Web, I mean the same thing.
Speaker 2: Bud wasn't as good as Muggsy what but in.
Speaker 4: A different way though. Spud was a lot more affen.
Speaker 2: He won the dunk contest.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and he was more Yeah, and he's Muggsy was a terror on defense man, Yeah, a terror.
Speaker 2: He could play, he could be his starter.
Speaker 12: I mean, well, you know, you know it's interesting day you brought that up to, is that people talk about guys that couldn't play back in the day because of size, Like, say, step are you so we just named two who were small that played, you know, Michael Adams back in the day when he played for Denver. Okay, he was he was small, Okay. It's guys that played back in that time that were smaller, leaner in a more physical league that still knew how to play because they grew up playing in that era, playing with that physicality, knowing how to use their size. So that's why I laugh at when people say, you know, Steph couldn't play back in the you know, late eighties and nineties. I'm like, well, why not you know, here's examples of guys that did.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you always. Thanks for lighting. Yes, who you got tonight? I have the knicks.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 12: I'm greedy because I won seven games. Man, I won six to seven games in both series. I was just pointed in, you know OKC and Minnesota game, and I think about the Minnesota game. I say this before we go. People look at ant And and Rando only scoring twenty one points compared to there's seventy four between Shay and Williams. But it wasn't that to me. This is a two point game. Yeah, you give up twenty three turnovers, right, Dan Okase had ninety four possessions. Minnesota only had eighty five. That's an eleven possession different in the two point game despite all what was going on. That to me, when Minnesota gets themselves in trouble is when they turn the ball over and they lose the possession game.
Speaker 4: Good to talk to you always, brother, enjoyce and nik you.
Speaker 2: That's Jim Jackson, Fox Turner, NBA and college basketball analyst. We'll take a break, last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learn? What's in store tomorrow? DraftKings just sent me the NBA title odds update. It is the Thunder big margin, and then it's the Pacers, then the Knicks, and then the Timberwolves. A distant fourth Tucker in North Carolina, Good morning, Tuck. How can I help you?
Speaker 9: How you doing both?
Speaker 4: Great? Six? Four one one five lean.
Speaker 9: I'm honored to be on the phone with the goat. Here's what I got. I got co Ed Softball League first game of the season tonight, first season ever for my squad, the mo runs, got all the homies, the fiance, all the girlfriends on the team. Was just looking for some words of encouragement. Maybe something I should tell the squad before the game. Any advice from you, It would be very much appreciated.
Speaker 2: All right, well, you come to the right place, win or lose, we celebrate, Tuck. That's what I would tell now, good luck tonight. We're all counting on you. I look for the highlights on Sports Center. Patrick in Scottsdale. Patrick what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey, good morning, Dan, five eleven one five, first time, first time, long time listener. I'm just sitting home on a vacation on my couch here and watching the show. I usually listen on the radio, but I really appreciate your your comments regarding doctor J. I grew up as having him as my role model. He was my sports hero. I remember doing a book report back in seventh grade and god, I don't know if it was Sports Illustrated or the Sporting News, but there was a picture of him going up for a dunk and I traced it out on tracing paper and I had on my book report. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you Patrick. Yeah, And he's one of those guys when you meet him. And when I first met Joe Namath, I thanked him. I said thank you for being who I thought were hoping you were going to be. And he looked at me like he hadn't heard that before. But in my you know, I'm from a small town, I'm never going to meet these people. And then you meet these people. And granted not everybody was what I was hoping they were going to be, but no names, but Joe Namath was doctor J. I mean, there's there's a long, long, long list this day in sports history, Paul, for.
Speaker 6: Me, just a couple for you, Dan, please. The Preaknese Stakes, the first ever Preaknis Stakes, eighteen seventy three, one by survivor. Twenty eighteen, Lebron James reaches eighth straight NBA Finals. The Cavs got by the Celtics, and nineteen e two three New Jersey businessmen bought the NHL's Colorado Rockies. They got approval to move the teams fromy to New Jersey and become the Devils.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean the fact of Lebron went to nine consecutive NBA finals, Yeah, that's remarkable. I saw where David Falk, Michael Jordan's agent, former agent, said that if Jordan was picking, he would have won fifteen titles. If he did what Lebron did, he would have won fifteen titles. I mean, that's just that's a topic for another day. But I mean, I don't it's I don't know of a star, a truly transcendent, one of the all time grades, who takes more abuse than Lebron James does. He just takes strays all the time. Yeah, I don't know that that is a topic for another day. Got admit, you know, Michael could have won fifteen if you wanted to.
Speaker 4: He chose to not.
Speaker 2: I hate that kind of crap.
Speaker 5: I know he wanted to win as many as he possibly could.
Speaker 2: That's what he had, that's what he got. He didn't just say, you know what this year, well, I let somebody else take it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I was really expecting David Fouk, who made millions off Michael Jordan, to be objective about this discussion.
Speaker 2: That's what we learned today. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow.