Speaker 1: Hey, vacationed a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business card.
Speaker 1: I'm Attorney Howard Ank You or someone who knows been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hello everyone, this is Josh Nelson to host a sign Machine podcast. Welcome to a new episode as we record this show on Wednesday nights, June twenty fourth, twenty twenty six. As the Chicago White Sox just wrapped up their home series against the Cleveland Guardians. What a wild series this was between the White Sox and the Guardians, and good news for the White Sox to continue. They're winning ways at home, winning two out of three against the Guardians and the Ales Central is tied up once again heading to the halfway point of the twenty twenty six season. This show's rundown, we'll talk about that wild series win against Cleveland. Did we have a top ten win of the season. This week Bitching stars Sean Newcomb, Anthony Kay and Sean Burke, and we'll be previewing the upcoming series as the Kansas City Royals visit the South Side this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a great series.
Speaker 5: You know, to be able to win a series, especially against these guys, means a lot. The same time, you know, we challenge a lot throughout the series and some things that we can grow from and learn from. Some things we've got to clean up, but also a lot of positive stuff from our pitching staff. I thought we did a great job of controlling them. A couple of walks that you don't love to see, but overall a really nice job, you know.
Speaker 6: In the Run for Prevention.
Speaker 4: Department, that's White Sox manager Will Vennable recapping the teams series win against the Cleveland Guardians, and now I'm joined by Sox Machines Beat reporter James Svegan and Sox Machines managin editor Jim Margolis and Hello, gentlemen, A very good series win. For the Chicago White Sox. So they go one and five on the road against the Yankees and the Tigers. They get swept by the Tigers and then turn around at home and win two out of three against the Guardians, and as we approach the halfway point of the season, they're tied for first place. I don't think any of us were expecting the White Sox to be where they're at, So this season continues to be a pleasant surprise. But James, I want to start with Monday, because that is one of the more wild games we have seen this season with sam an Ton not she saving Grant Taylor and Sir Anthony Domingus with that walk off to run single. What was it like being at the stadium and especially in the clubhouse after that win?
Speaker 7: Uh so, because I had actually my mother and sister were at that game, and so my grand plan was like I'm going to like I was already kind of like had ahead of steam when working on my birth piece, so I was like, instead of normally I like see them and they sit down and then go back up like after an inning or two, I was like, I'm gonna try to finish this birth piece and they'll come down and watch like you know the ending with you, uh, put the camera in my pocket, put the recorder in my pocket, and then like was prepared to just like run out from the stairs.
Speaker 2: Seemed like a good play in until the seventh. Then things kind of flipped.
Speaker 7: Then it's being in the crowd as you know, they're basically bowing sir Anthony Dominga is off the field, and it's in that moment and I'm sure I would have had the thought in the press box too, but I'm like, you know, feeling the atmosphere of discontent towards this guy.
Speaker 2: You know, the impatience that credits to Socks fans.
Speaker 7: You know they've been beaten down, but they quickly transitioned to a team. The fans of a team that's competing for a division that is unhappy with their closer, and they're.
Speaker 2: Not like, oh, what still.
Speaker 7: Throwing or anything like that, like any of the thing that you would do about a rebuilding team, like you always still missing bats.
Speaker 2: You gotta have patience, progressions gonna come. No, They're they're discontent with this guy.
Speaker 7: It's like I'm texting in Jim, like feels like we need to pivot a little bit and you know, wind up writing like a whole separate story h that you know, maybe I could have worked out if I was already not downstairs, But yeah, I think that hit home and it was interesting, you know, postgam clubhouse, because you're talking to one Antonachi never gives you exactly like a brilliant guy like you know, a couple like he's not like just pure radiant joy type of postgame interview. I think their emotions, emotions on the field and his emotions in person, they're usually pretty bifurcated. So he's like one, he's trotting out that lie about like if you're bad about I just asked him, like, hey, what was the atmosphere in the dugout, and he's like launches in this thing that he clearly just wants to say about not getting down on sir Anthony or not, like you know, pointing fingers and saying like if you don't have if you don't you're.
Speaker 2: Not suited for a group sport. Go play tennis.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize that he had said that to Brooke on the field already because I'm wearing like an open like sweater with like this tennis shirt. I have t shirt that has like a tennis racket on its, Like, have I triggered Sam into thinking how much he hates individual sports or he's looking at me like you want to go somewhere else, go play tennis. Thankfully I was not the case, and he was kind of more give me a second draft of something he had already written in his head a little bit, which was a cool quote. I mean, I see people picking apart like how how would you not be mad with two runs? It's more just like standing up for your guy, right, talking about like how they have to be wired, you know, really obviously they had that need, that mindset to be able to come back in that game, so they lived up to it. But the raucousness of obviously that finish. I basically hugged my mother and sister while the play was being challenged and then got into the staircase and then once they confirmed it, like ran up the steps and got to got the post game. But we talked to Sir Anthony post game with that as well, like he was obviously relieved but still kind of frustrated. And then you know, I think probably more so than Detroit. It's just kind of saying like I obviously, I think a lot of the year has been you know, will benble saying he's our closer, Sir Anthony trying to you know, shrug off the troubles as much as he can, saying like, yo, this is one outing, or I may won by pitch and more, just like this is tough for me. I just blew back to back saves. Was kind of the way he attacked that. At the same time, like, I know he wants to be there and has certainly noticed that his usage is a little bit different. So it was a millannge of emotions in the post game clubhouse for sure. But it's kind of a weird series in terms of, you know, I think that I guess it was all one to run games in the end. It's a series where they're like saying, postgame, you know today Wednesday, gritschuck. It's like, we could have swept this series, and that's very true and the basis loads went out against the seemingly wayward Sean Armstrong same time, they could have easily gotten swept in the series with a few different hits. So it's I think it looked like a pretty equal matchup and definitely swung on some small things and I think maybe reaffirmed like the socks are in here, They're in this business there, They're going to be in this mix, and that's that's a credit to him. It doesn't seem like they quite have, at least in this non mirror COMI having portion that they're going to take off a blow away, you know, even a poser ra mirus less guardians.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I'm expecting a tight race in the second half, which is great. We aren't expecting any kind of race this season, Jim, so I will take it, but it will be nerve racking as we approach the halfway point of the season. We'll have our first half grades episode after Sunday's game against the Kinser Royal, so something to look forward to. We'll also be getting your guys' feedback or seeking it for those that follow us on social media and for those that visit socksmachine dot com. Sam Antonacci's walk off hit Jim is, that's a top ten win nominee for the season, right.
Speaker 8: I think I put both the best game and worst game tags on it. Sometimes a victory makes its way into the losses one just because it was such a mess and some failures were characteristic of the team shortcomings where even if they want it, they shouldn't have been in a position to win it like that in the first place, especially in back to back game.
Speaker 6: So we'll see how it shakes out.
Speaker 8: But in terms of moments, in terms of ant Nachi doing it, I was thinking, like going through the lineup, that he's the guy you want up in that situation. I think just in terms of you know, I'm thinking of the White Sox facing Luis a rise in the past or Stephen Kwan.
Speaker 6: Kwan was tough the series for him.
Speaker 8: But in the past, when Stephen Kwan is, if not in All Star like a very good player and you know, Gold Glove winner everything like that, Like just they might not be the most dangerous hitter on their team based on like you know, runs created or anything like that. But how do you pitch to him, how do you get him out? How do you get swing and miss when you really.
Speaker 6: Could use it.
Speaker 8: Somebody you can guide contact to the various parts of the field and go where pitches are throne.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, like, you.
Speaker 8: Know, Antonachi or Miguel Vargas are probably your two choices there, and given that was alrighty on the mound, given that Antonacci has strong platoon splits, Like I thought, yeah, it's he's although he's a rookie, he kind of fits that mold of the guy that you most want to see if you're a White Sox fan, and probably least want to see if you know Antonachi well as an opponents or a fan of an opponent, Like maybe he's just not on the radar yet, but I think he's that kind of skill set where, yeah, how do you pitch to him in that moment to where like you feel like you can get him out, not that he you know, he can get himself out or he can't get out, but just it's he's a hard It's just a hard guy to approach when you absolutely need an out. And so even saw that with the broken bat single like obviously should have been a routine ground out, but just because he can put the ball in play, because he can you know, face Alighty with comfort and you know, stand in on the plates.
Speaker 6: And get on base that way.
Speaker 8: But also that maybe change the way guys have to approach him. He can do a lot of damage when they have to come in the zone to him and The funny thing is like they didn't have to come to the zone to him, they had a base open, So that might be a benefit of him still being largely unfamiliar, or a rookie who isn't scary because he's got four homers this year, so he's not somebody who's, you know, causing pictures to tremble on the mound, but certainly has that bat to ball ability and I think a sense of the game to where, yeah, basically top two for guys you want up when you just need a single.
Speaker 4: And then on the flip side, Wednesday's lost, so to biggieback James Off, Randall Gridchick and his comments of how the team had an opportunity to sweep they sure did. I really thought we were to be talking about another big moment this season when Brady Montgomery and Randall Gridchick went back to back home run and consecutive bitches against Kate Smith, who leads the league in saves. I mean, Kate Smith has been the American League's best closer this season. I don't think he's on the same level of the type of season that Mason Miller is having for the San Diego Padres. But Kate Smith has definitely been pitching like an All Star this year, and the White Sox got to Smith twice in this series, and I think that is a great sign. But they weren't able to complete that comeback because they went zero for nine with runners in scoring position. You could read on how that went down on soxsmachine dot com as James had the game recap, and I sent out a tweet after the game about Chase my Draft and his stats with runners in scoring position, and I do want to apologize to Chase because I could understand at that time that's kind of piling on and what is probably a frustrating time for him. I have been noticing the game is getting to him Jim and James in the sense that he's batting more frequently in the middle of the order. But my Draft has played seventy six of the seventy nine games this season and he hasn't been getting that many breaks. And in his last fifteen games, Chase my Draft has been in a slump. He's batting two thirty two with a two to seventy one on base percentage. He's slugging three oh four and this is uncharacteristic of him, he struck out twenty one times to just one walk. So the fact that my draft has only walked once in his last fifteen games is a little bit bizarre for him. The strikeouts are really piling up, and unfortunately baseball is just cruel. Sometimes when you are cold, the game finds a way that you were at the plate with the game on the line, and unfortunately, with the bases loaded one out, three to one, hitting that week rounder to shortstop does not match anything that the White Sox have been preaching when it comes to hitting James. Is this something like? I know, Will Vennible was my full of Miguel Vargus and how much time that he's been playing, and gave Vargas most of that game off before using Vargas in a pitch hit situation. I have to imagine as we get closer to the All Star break, some of these regulars might be giving getting the day off just because they've been playing a lot.
Speaker 7: Well, their days off are limited that they're usually half days off. They're usually just like not starting a certain situation. And I think, you know, even Chase's current game count, you know, has some of that. He's started seventy three games, so he's had a couple of leaves half game off mixed in there. There's certain like fundamentally like I think more than like the runners in scoring position thing. For me, it's like it's a pretty significant platoon split with his damage been like very highly against righty's and certainly fifteen to one strike out the walk ratio is not that's that's bad for anyone. But they had been kind of allowing for like we're encouraging Chase, like take more shots, try to hit for a bit more slug We'll we'll take a little bit more contact for that and up you know, certainly through May that was kind of paying off.
Speaker 2: I think the but I think with the platoons, but thing like.
Speaker 7: Single year like runners and scoring position numbers for any individual are probably going.
Speaker 2: To be pretty very volatile, very violasile.
Speaker 7: The bigger thing is like if the platoons but hold like that's going to be the matchup he's gonna get late in games when like he comes up a cruse situation, so like that could wind up like cramping his runners in scoring position numbers a little bit. Uh So, Yeah, they gave him like a day off after like a bad game, I want to say, in the last road trip, and you know, it certainly looks like a little of whack of now and he certainly wanted to like play through nagging things. In a way, I'd still say like I'd expect him to be fine overall, rather than like this is some defining thing where you can't hit with runers in the scoring position, and certainly with the contact really showed in the past, you'd think like a recalibration from twenty five percent strike out right what he's at right now is possible. That said, like, yeah, he's definitely slowed down this month, and I think a little bit with grit Chick hitting the way he is and you know, breaking up down kind of be in everyday right field, you probably if Akuna is like showing a pulse that I think you have some options to sit him certainly against like right handed pitching, maybe a bit more often you were, or give him more days off where he doesn't have to be like a guy who basically plays every day. They have some alignments I think are viable with that, and especially would be true whenever or Comedy gets back. But if you're going to use if Gritchick is like more and more like hitting against right handers h and is someone that they're comfortable playing in left field a bit more often, like an alignment where like Ansonachi starts at second and Gritchick hold down left against a righty. If Chase is struggling, or just like I want to ratchet him down to maybe five games a week and se six like every single time. Yeah, that's a they could go down do eventually. That said, like, they love this guy a lot, and he's a huge part of like their team identity, and he's a good defender. So I don't think it'd be I'd be surprised they see something drastic unresponse to him struggling. And I also be surprised if it went on for like attracting aunt time. Like, I think my draws is solid, little layer and we'll probably figure it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, and watch the next couple of months Jim with the runners in scoring position. My draft has a nine hundred OPS and he's just hitting singles all over the field. It's just that's something that I noticed, is he's been a little bit cold. So I apologize to Chase. I shouldn't have piled on there. I just tweeted that he has a five to seventy seven OPS with runners in scoring position. That was the tweet Chase, My draft is a five to seventy seven OPS with runners in scoring position. It's kind of taken off a lot of well, don't.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 8: What was the count on the retweets and the responses I had.
Speaker 4: Last I checked, It's over eighty likes. So I clearly hit a nerve with some White Sox fans who are like, don't worry Rock Schalowski in the second half. He's gonna replace Mike. Come on, let's be serious here. Uh So mydrath a little bit cold in the month of June. Hopefully that will get corrected. Who is hot in June for the White Sox offense Renal Gridchik I mean five home runs. His opius is over eleven hundred this month. Andrew Bennett Tendi thirteen RBIs leading the team this month. Antonachi's got a nine to thirty five. Oh yes, and Luis ahell Akunya has a three sixty seven average this month and six dolen bases. So let's go into that game situation on Wednesday, Jim, because this is also a sticking point that I'm seeing online so tenth inning run around second base, Akunya is batting and he lays down a bunt immediately to sacrifice bars from second to third base. There are some White Sox fans that are advocating that you should have let Luisa Helicunye swing away. He's been a hot bat. Let's see what he can do. Do the White Sox play it right with the sackbun uh.
Speaker 8: I would say, yeah, I get why they bunted, just because a lot of his contact goes.
Speaker 6: To the left side of the infield.
Speaker 8: So if you're looking to get a runner over, like I think his outs are most likely to be unproductive.
Speaker 6: If he makes an out, He's not somebody can drive the ball to right field.
Speaker 8: He doesn't easily go the other way with any authority.
Speaker 6: So if you absolutely need to get Vargas over.
Speaker 8: And you really want to set up multiple opportunities, like take advantage of being home and know exactly like how many runs you have to score to keep the game moving or get past it. Yeah, that's I think the reason why it is just he's he's improving, like he's been finding ways to make himself useful, but still the ground ball.
Speaker 6: Rate is pretty high.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's ground ball rate's nearly sixty percent and most of it is pulled.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of what you're looking at is if you don't.
Speaker 8: Trust Cleveland two laps on its in field alignment, then you're counting on like a single getting through to make something happen, and yeah, probably not going to happen based on just the odds.
Speaker 4: Well, for the White Sox, they're pitching a lot better against the Guardians, especially three key pitchers. We're gonna start with Sean Newcom James and that was a big save that he picked up on Tuesday and almost three inning save in a one run game. And his roll up with the White Sox has been flexible. He started that bullpend game against the Tigers was nails. Three scoreless innings. The White Sox don't know what to do. They don't know how to close out Tuesday's game because they pitched Grant Taylor and sy Anthony Domingus in back to back games. Sean Newcomb been nails. You've been kind of advocating for newcome to being the bullpen MVP for the White Sox so far halfway through this season, and I guess for White Sox fans, should we just continue to expect his role to be either you can call it flexible or unpredictable, that he's going to open sometimes and maybe now he'll get some save opportunities.
Speaker 7: Well, I think opening is more when they are missing a spot of the rotation. Like I think they mostly use their openers as kind of like the shorter guys in terms of usage, because they're supposed to give way. You know, Newcome is someone who turns the lineup over pretty much if you want him to. So like using someone like Heiser or Murphy or even Hudson is more like, let's get you through this top slate of righty. So if anything like Newcomb was probably just like he's started that bullpen game because he's like the closest thing to a starter in the bullpen. He's really got the arsenal. I think, like a small thing. Uh I noticed like him locking down the three and needs say he was like he kind of still works like a starter, Like he works like he he's like burly, like he works extremely quickly, Like the tension kind of had a hard time building and saved because he was just like getting in and throwing it so much like people in it, Like by the time people are getting in their feet the clap for ofstin the hedges, he's like two pitches into that at battle, right. So but I asked hill Vtable a little bit, especially on the heels of like the two kind of blow ups from Taylor and the Vengas, is that like to look at this, like, you know, to cut to the chase, Like they got four trusted leverage guys right now, like I could dither on like other options, and you know Chris Murphy's look good his last two times out. Yeah, they have four trusted guys right now. So if you're having like they use the three of them that are on the short of length in both Sunday and Monday, uh in pretty straightforward leverage opportunities. And Newcome's the one that floats around so asking because he could do multi innings. So in asking Venable, it's like if you're having two that are kind of on the fritz right now, And I think Grantal look pretty good on Wednesday, you know, even with the two soft singles that got through. So maybe not really him either, But if you have Dominga's struggling, do at some point you try to pull because they talked about it in the past and they had amusing a little bit. Do you pull Nukem from being like this fun tool we break out twice a week where he throws two innings or three innings back to working more often, but working maybe like an inning or you know, one plus sometimes and he's just available to you three four times a week. You could be part of that leverage mixed more traditionally. And the answer was kind of like, not really. And one of the things was is that that it was like, I think a sound strategy is that have our best pitchers pitched the most innings and right now is like the multi inning guy of the bullpen, like new Comb's on pace for ninety five to one hundred innings. Sure, you have him available more often and you feel like you have this tool in place when you really need a good inning.
Speaker 2: Pull him back.
Speaker 7: But the raw mat outside of the game to game situation says like this, the guy has been your best reliever and he's gonna throw twenty twenty five innings more than your other relievers based on how he's currently working. Does the leverage of those situations are having a bill for the eighth and ninth cancel out just the sheer volume he can give you. I don't know, And I also like there's only so many guys who can do what Newcome's doing, Like, I don't think it's suited well. Well, obviously none of us are advocating like two upstir Sir Anthony Diminga is on a regular basis right now, but like his arsenal and especially having like kind of the reverse platoon splits but still being like a big side armor against lefties really just like make them, I think, solve kind of problems in that longer role that the other guys can't as readily. Orgly says often too, where if you get a short start, if you have like a slate of lefties, but you also have like pin hitters who could come in the situation if you have a down bullpen day where you need somebody to like drag you to the ninth inning in some way that the others otherwise need to change two three guys together to do.
Speaker 2: I think he's a kind of a unique weapon that it doesn't.
Speaker 7: Sound like venibles trying to change his usage in some way.
Speaker 4: Well, the other two bitching Stars for this series. Jim, Sean Burke, and Anthony K. Like, Sean Burke, that was not a fluke what we saw against the Yankees. He was able to duplicate his performance against the Guardians hold him to one run. Fantastic start for Sean Burke. Great to see. And Anthony K like, that's what's lost in Monday's crazy win. Anthony K was great, six scoreless innings for the White Sox. He deserved that win. Jim doesn't get it because of the bullpen chaos. But it's a good sign. We know the White Sox need to add another starter. Yes, this is like the sixth consecutive podcast. We know the White Sox need to add another starter. They're gonna be serious post trade deadline. But it's a good sign to see Anthony Kay and Sean Burke in a big series really step up their performances.
Speaker 8: Especially against bad offense, which Cleveland has like this month with Ramirez out with the latter out, it's a thinner offense really kind of lacking a centerpiece.
Speaker 4: So it sounds like they h Watson with the he hit against the White apparently, Yeah, just there's somebody emerges, but uh, a nailer emerges basically somehow.
Speaker 8: But yeah, it's the kind of thing where if Cleveland's offense is down, uh, White Sox pitchers should be able to step up, especially guys like Burke and k who are you know, I would say number four ist starters on the aggregate based on whether they look like they can go six innings or three in a third in a given game, which kind of happens a little bit too often has.
Speaker 6: In the past.
Speaker 8: But if they are facing an offense that is pitchable, they should be able to pitch to them and.
Speaker 6: The like they would they win six innings.
Speaker 8: So it kind of sounds like a NOx saying like, yeah, it was a bad offense, but it's the American League.
Speaker 6: It's a bad American league.
Speaker 8: Part of the reason why the White Sox are where they are is because the league isn't impressive, and a team like the White Sox that has some talent that isn't projecting well yet because they just don't have track records like this is their opportunity.
Speaker 6: To add losses to teams that weren't supposed to have them.
Speaker 8: So like when you have wins that are if not on the table at least there for the taking with an offense that's down in pitchers who are starting to find their form, Like yeah, find that form, like establish at form, reinforce it, and.
Speaker 6: They did well.
Speaker 4: It was a great series win for the White Sox. He had to have been nice if they had swept Cleveland, but they entered this series one game back at Cleveland. They leave this series tied with Cleveland on top of the American League Central and they continue their winning ways at home. So that is a good sign for the White Sox. And we'll be previewing the upcoming weekend series against the Kansas City Royals in a moment. But a couple of cap tips from this series. One to Brooke Fletcher for becoming the first woman to serve as a color analyst in the TV booth for the Chicago White Sox. The Steve Stone I could not broadcast the last two games. That had to be incredibly tough. Brookie did an excellent job to come in cold and be like, well, Steve's not showing up. You wanna call a baseball game for listeners. Imagine for us to do an hour long podcast. Cold is tough. Try calling a baseball game with two teams buying for first place with very little preparation other than what you were doing to get ready as a sideline reporter. So that was incredibly impressive by Brooked Steppin in very short notice. Congratulations to Brookie did a great job.
Speaker 8: Especially on Charity's Night, just because there's so much stuff that they have to get to, so many things they have to promote, so many things to read and things to cut too, that there's already a lot in the plate and then have to weave in and out of like actual baseball analysis or react to what's going on.
Speaker 6: I can kind of tell here.
Speaker 8: And there just you know, Shriffing and Fletcher just talking over each other.
Speaker 6: But there's just so much to get to with Charities Nights that just I yeah, I would have been overwhelmed. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought she crushed it under the circumstances. And she knows baseball. I mean, come on, she's grown up in the gay everything for Brook Fletcher's Baseball. So good job, Brooke. And also a cap tip for White Sox Charities Week if you weren't tracking a lawn as far as the game on Tuesday, locked on socks from the one to eight Sox and thirty fifth participating in the T shirt battle, and they promoted a lot of the charity as far as the grants that they gave to a lot of the community centers throughout the South Side. It's one of the best parts of the Chicago White Sox organization with what Christine O'Reilly does and that entire team. As far as the community relations, it's one of the more fun things. As far as covering when we do have that media day, James and I got a chance to visit that Boys and Girls Club and to see in person all of the upgrades of the White Sox were able to provide for those kids in Bridgeports. So always a cap tip to the White Sox Charities teams. You guys do a great job. Howard, my dad was t boned by a utility vehicle.
Speaker 5: What should I do?
Speaker 2: Ink?
Speaker 1: And law is injury law made personal if you've been heard at work in a car accident or suffered a medical mistake called three one, two six million.
Speaker 4: Now the Chicago White Sox have Thursday off and here come the Kansas City Royals this weekend.
Speaker 6: The Royals are.
Speaker 4: Thirty four and forty seven, their last place in the American League Central. They are currently eight games behind the Chicago White Sox and the Division that will never get old this season, they lost their last game. The Rows have been playing better baseballs of late. They are six and four in their last ten and just like the White Sox, they are struggling on the road, identical road record as the White Sox. They are fifteen to twenty five this year away from Kaufman. The season series, the White Sox currently lead five games to two, so the White Sox win this series. They win the season series against Kansas City That won't get old either. You're pitching problems for this weekend. Kansas City has no clue who is starting any of these games. They are to be determined, so that's going to be a storyline of what the Broyles have planned for the White Sox. But on Friday night six forty pm Central Time, this is Illinois State University Night and also the postgame concert with DJ Marshmallow, will find out what who the White Sox are possibly start on a Friday from James in a Moment. Saturday afternoon three ten pm Central time start. This is the nineteen eighty three reunion. It's also the America's two hundred and fiftieth Birthday shirt, so first fifteen thousand fans get a free T shirt. It'll be the Dark Davis Martin taking the ball for the White Sox. And then on Sunday it's Nickelodeon Day on Kids' Day, it's also World Baseball Classic Kyle Teal bobblehead. I do have to remind folks if you want this bobblehead, it is a separate ticket. Go to White Sox dot com to purchase that separate ticket to get the bobblehead. Anthony Kay, We'll be making that start for the White Sox on Sunday, and as I mentioned early in the show, after the series against the Royals, we will be giving out our mid season grade, so that'll be our next episode. James Vegan, what is going on for the White Sox on Friday Night when it comes to the pitching. Is this another Bullpendey or could we see a call up?
Speaker 7: I feel like a lot of science pointed at being David Samlin. He was lined up the pitch on Friday and Charlotte and now is not. They Will Fennible said that they felt like they were more likely to use a starter in that slot than go another bullpen day. He said when they did the bullpen day, he didn't want to keep doing bullpendes. It obviously led to them being very stretched in this series, having to used Sean Newcomb and then having to use Sean nuklem Ugen in a way that Sean Newcomb certainly reflected was probably stretching them a little bit above and beyond with what he had to do.
Speaker 2: So Sandlin's beyond the fifteen days. Everything lines up.
Speaker 7: You know, they're being quiet about it, but certainly like no other alternatives have really been offered.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 7: You know, Schultz needs one more rehab us start this weekend. Mason Adams literally just pitched while we were talking, or you know, a couple hours before.
Speaker 2: So that's not an option.
Speaker 7: I think it's it's hard to see what would otherwise, you know, kind of really take hold.
Speaker 2: But you know, I maybe.
Speaker 7: They're hoping for another rain out to kick their decisions down. Also, they slated Martin and Kay, who they could have moved up to Friday, given the off day to still get their regular rests at all. Just seems very setting up to bring up a starter, and yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: All right, so we can see David Sandlin.
Speaker 8: Sandlin's thrown five and six innings and his two starts since, so he's kind of stretched out to.
Speaker 7: Where there's some like feeling like, all right, maybe we give this guy was like just getting down with his rehab and so now they feel like they gave him a full more a few more full starts under his belt.
Speaker 2: So it all seems like all seems like it should line up for that.
Speaker 4: If you visit socksmachine dot com daily, you know that Jim writes up the minor keys and recapping all the action down to the minor league of the Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Mason Adams is a name that he continues to pop up, Jim and just with how well that he's been throwing I didn't see and how he threw today for the Charlotte Knights. But the White Sox needs some help on the starting pitching front. Mason Adams popular name last year. Could he be making a start for the White Sox soon?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he threw five shutout innings again U Charlott's in Charlotte against Rochester, first place team.
Speaker 6: So that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 8: Both yep terms of environment and opponents. And yeah, he's always been extreme command oriented pitcher, kitchen sink pitcher, and the worry when he had Tommy John surgery was one can't really afford to lose velocity come back with anything diminished because he kind of like sits ninety one. So if he's sitting ninety all of a sudden like that thins his margin for air. And then if he has the typical command issues for somebody coming back from Tommy John surgery, like, yep, he could pitch past that, but you might take him whild to where like you can't necessarily count on him.
Speaker 6: Stuffing his way past these command.
Speaker 8: Lapses in his first year back, So I was expecting a conservative timetable for him. I was thinking, like, you know, Drew Thorpe might be back ahead of him, and even Kai Bush because you know, depending on how Bush's stuff looks, you're coming back.
Speaker 6: But both of.
Speaker 8: Them have had setbacks and Adams has been on schedule, and then like, yeah, he's not walking, guys, He's missing bats kind of as well as he can. The fastball seems to have gained a little bit since his last days in Charlotte's before the surgery, when he was kind of dealing with the back issue coming back from that, So perhaps he'd been down a little bit before that, and you know, getting surgery and resting the other injury, you allowed him to get stuff back. But yeah, he's looks like he's in line for an audition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what's his velocity now? Then it's been like.
Speaker 8: Ninety two, So which is what you're gonna get from him. It's a case where he was always a third day draft pick. Undersized. He's not imposing in any way until you see him pitch, and then it's just a matter of like he's just getting guys out and getting up pretty quickly to where it's you know, twelve pitch inning, fourteen pitch inning, nine pitch inning, and then he's just cruising through.
Speaker 6: So major league hitters could expose that or maybe not.
Speaker 8: Maybe he'll be useful, or maybe he'll be one of those guys who evens out to like a four or fifty er or something like that, but kind of a watchable one, a guy you don't mind having the fifth spot in rotation. So yeah, worthy in audition, looking forward to seeing it happen when it happens.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, again, this is the final weekend of the first half. Of the season. Of course, some will say, well, the first half's not to the All Star break, but then you're already passed ninety games. The White Sox will be entering Game eighty one over the weekend against the Royals Gym on Sunday, one of my favorite annual traditions on socks machine double up posts. So he'll be gathering all the numbers from the first half and what guys are on pace for in the twenty twenty six season. This year's gonna be a lot of fun. So I can't wait to read that post. But the last thing we'll touch on in this episode, who needs a big weekend to finish the first half? Strow Jim, I'll start with you. Who needs a big Who needs a big weekend for the White Sox.
Speaker 6: Feels like my draft recently. I think you O'tel is still working his way back.
Speaker 8: To where you don't know exactly what his final form is going to be. This year, a Kunya has turned around to where he like he's a nice component on the bench. You know, Jacob Gonzalez might be one based on his slump, although he had a couple of hits at least the curse of Keith Law or the weight of Keith Law's expectations, uh crushing him after getting the the raves that White Sox fans don't associate with Keith Law discussing a White Sox prospect and he goes like over twenty five or something like that.
Speaker 6: It's it's great, just poetry like that.
Speaker 8: But yeah, otherwise, like it's a pretty deep lineup where the guys who are not doing it are either rookies or coming back injury to where.
Speaker 6: They don't need the weeknd.
Speaker 8: So I'd just just say, like my draft for just the strikeout rate.
Speaker 4: How about you, James, is there anyone that comes to mind that you would like to see him a big weekend to finish the first half strong?
Speaker 7: I would like to interview a winning or you know, blocking out to say, Sir Anthony Diminga's post game. He's had to wear a lot of losing close their post games, and I think it'd be nice to tilt the balance.
Speaker 2: That was definitely why we kind of wanted to wait.
Speaker 7: Out Sean Newcombe the other night to you know, give her leavers they're shining when they do well because they often have to face the music when they're struggling. Like the absurdity of talking to Grant Taylor the other day about like him struggling when you know he's been melting faces for most of the last like two and a half months. Yeah, he've been said, like, it's really been five good months up until this for my career. So but Sir, Anthony MnGa is someone who won just watching him get booed off the field the other night, but you know, is someone who's certainly juggling a lot in terms of venomal clearly does not use closers in a way that I think, like any closer would think like, this is what my job is going to look like as a closer. So I think like, even if people don't want to hear it from him when he's you know, struggling as the way he is, like, I think there's room for him to say that it was surprising to him even and I think he said it professionally at the same time, like he's also had to talk about like he's just not throwing strikes, he's not getting a head of hitters.
Speaker 2: I feel like this stuff is kind of there.
Speaker 7: So he kind of identified something mechanically after the Milwaukee outing at the start of the season and the like had some good outings after that, seemingly could do that again. The fact that it's you know, kind of getting pretty loosey goosey command wise multiple times the season obviously isn't good and you know we walked at this rate last year, so you wonder how much they can have it. In that said, like, he's been good. He's been an effective lever for you. If he isn't, like established clothes are good. All the good news is that bull veedibles, you know, clearly obviously throwing Brent Taylor or what he actually thinks is the most dangerous leverage spot in every game anyway. So getting Anthony back to just what Sir Anthony and Mingos is in for a long time, I think we'll be perfectly fine for this bull Ben setup, and you know it, it'd be nice to see him get to enjoy that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a clean inning for Sir Anthony Diminguz this weekend would do everyone good, the White Sox, Sir Anthony White Sox fans, I think that's a great call. James mind is Jacob Gonzales. He got a couple of hits on Wednesday, but he was like in a oh for twenty eight slump. He's going through a lot and he's trying to learn how to hit major league bitching, also try to learn on how to play major league first base. A lot's been thrown at Jacob Gonzalez to trying to fill in for Moodi Takomercami. If you subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Socks Machine, which if you're watching this show, I hope you are. James did ask Will Vanable that question.
Speaker 6: It is part of.
Speaker 4: Our YouTube shorts collection, so you can check out that short in which Will Venable gave an update for Moon to Tako Murakami. The hitting is ahead of the running right now, so we'll see just it's undetermined how close Munda Tako Murakami is rejoined the White Sox. With that being said, it's gonna be a lot of Jacob Gonzales. It's still gonna be a lot of Michel Vargas at first. It'd be great if Jacob Gonzalez could have a strong weekend against the Royals before we enter the first half. Fun series for the White Sox, great series win for them. Let's see how this weekend goes. But that will do it for this episode of the sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening and watching. If you just discover the sox Machine podcast, you can describe to the audio version of the show wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and album Music. You could watch the show now on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine, and along with all of our other videos, our post game press conference videos and other feature videos and our shorts as well. We doing a lot more video content to get you guys a lot more white sox content, especially from the clubhouse. So if you are watching our videos, please visit YouTube dot com slash sox Machine and subscribe today. Can follow us on social media or on all the social media platforms at the sox Machine. You can follow James at Jrfvegan. He'll be at the games this weekend covering them again for us. You can follow me at the sox Machine Underscore Josh. What really helps sox Machine is our subscribers, and you can describe at soxmachine dot com slash products in which our monthly plans start at five dollars a month, and that gets to the ad free version about the podcast, and the website unlocks the comments section as well, but we're still running the sale on your first month and where we now Jim after a White Sox series win.
Speaker 8: They've been hovering around fifty two cents last few days, like on rounding up, rounding down.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's made it easy for me to.
Speaker 8: Check the price and be like, Nope, no tweak's necessary, So fifty two cents for the first month.
Speaker 4: There you go, fifty two cents for the first month, and then five dollars a month after that. Again. Sign up at soxsmachine dot com slash products to become a sox Machine subscriber. We also have additional tiers of support, including our Veterans Committee, which gets you into the group chat. We're gonna have some exciting news at sox Machine to announce, and our VC members already know about that news, and they also get to hear all about the gossip and the whispers and the gossipers from James at the ballparks. If you want more, you can get more. Go to soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The sox Machine Podcast is a production of soxmachine dot com. You're for all of things Chicago White Sox baseball alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.