Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Let's cross over to tech to Tesla. Samsung Electronics will produce AI semiconductors for Tesla in a new sixteen point five billion dollar pack that marks a wind for its underperforming foundry division. What does this mean for our friends at Tesla? Craig Trudell joins us Bloomberg Global Autos Editor Here, Craig talk to us.
Speaker 3: Are what Tesla's.
Speaker 2: Trying to do here with this big deal with Samsung?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this this is a deal for a next generation AI chip for Tesla. So Samsung is an existing supplier of these uh, you know, high powered semiconductors that are used for it's driving systems that it markets as full self driving and autopilot. Uh And and contrary to those names that you know, you cannot buy a Tesla today and have it drive itself for you. You still need to pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. But uh, it is the case that those systems are are becoming more more capable and that Tesla is trying to kind of press the issue with them to the point where uh, you know, they're they're taking people out of out of the driver's seat and and having uh you know, supervisors in the in the passenger seat of cars in Austin, Texas, and and trying to to take that elsewhere as well. Uh. This this will be interestingly. Musk announced overnight that they will be going to a T S M C chip for for the next generation of of semis that they use and then go to Samsung, relying on on supply from from this plant in Texas that that Samsung is boys to to open, uh in the near future.
Speaker 5: And what near future? How how long does it take to build a fab plant?
Speaker 3: The cool kids say fab right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, I mean, I think you know the the this is a project on Samsung's part that's been in the worst for some time, right and and so uh they they you know, were sort of moved actually by the Chips Act under the Biden administration, and Trump uh was was critical of of the Chips Act. You know, on the on the campaign trail. And yet we've seen uh sort of a continuation and somewhat of an embrace of it, uh, you know, as we we've seen a change in the White House. Uh in terms of the exact timing of when exactly this new AI chip uh you know, will will be coming out of that Texas factory. It's it's not yet clear from from Musk's posting on an X, and the companies have not said much because you know, they of course agreed to you know, some some privacy here that Musk proceeded to to sort of loosen up on, you know, at least over social media.
Speaker 2: Craig, do we know at this stage to what extent Elon Musk is engaged in the day to day the strategic of Tesla analogy stepped back from his doze responsibilities.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you can you can glean so much from his his you know, activity on X as to what he's paying attention to. And it absolutely is the case that we're seeing him him posting more about things like this deal with Samsung, and I do think that that's helpful sort of for for sentiment around Tesla. And yet I would say too that you know, if if there was a sort of you know, scorecard, sort of an informal scorecard that you'd be keeping track of where he's sort of devoting most of his time and attention to. I would say it's as much or more on XAI and just ai in general than it is on Tesla specifically. You know, you heard from him a few months ago that he would really be turning his attention back to Tesla, uh, you know, as he was making his way out of the White House. But I think, you know, the amount of attention and emphasis he's put on trying to catch up to the likes of open AI and Google in our artificial intelligence and l MS is you know, definitely exceeds, you know, the amount of of you know, noise we're hearing from him about the day to day interworkings of of Tesla.
Speaker 2: All right, excellent, Craig, thanks so much for joining us. Appreciate your reporting there. Craig Tudell, Global autos editor for Bloomberg News, joining us from our London h Q. Samsung to make Tesla chips in multi year Texas deals.
Speaker 3: And Elon is going to actually walk walk the floor.
Speaker 2: He used to sleep at the in the Tesla plans back in the day.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg and Halogen's podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple Coarclay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Stop a beer, John, I mean, oh, Audrey got a perfect day for it, Audrick Heine can.
Speaker 3: You put it from yes?
Speaker 2: Especially with the heat today, Heinegen beer sales fall as price dispute took longer to fit. What's going on with our friends at Heinegill.
Speaker 6: Let's go to the.
Speaker 2: Go to a guy there. Duncan Fox, senior consumer staples analysts for Bloomberg Intelligence, is based over there in our London office, Queen Victoria Street, right in the center of the city of London. Dont you talk to us about Heinegen? What's going on there?
Speaker 6: Well, essentially European retailers decided not delayed pushing the prices up after I suppose last year wasn't particularly big on pricing and the that's three percent of the local Heinegen brown, but the previous two years when inflation was raging, you know, they did get fourteen and ten percent respectively in in twenty two and twenty three. Costs of goods are not really going up, so I think the retailer is just pushed back and it took them longer to push out to get a small price through in Europe and that's just hit them. So it's about fifty percent of the overall business.
Speaker 5: Is what is a Heineken class in the pub?
Speaker 6: Well, if you're in London, a heck of a lot. It's probably st eight pounds plus I can be about ten, which they are either the Dorset you'd be lucky to get, you know, sort of around five to six pound. But nevertheless, you know, when you're pushing the price up the premium Heinegen brand, which is probably twenty percent more expensive than any other sort of mainstream beer that they've got on their portfolio, you can see why the volumes struggled in the short.
Speaker 7: Term given cost of living crisis.
Speaker 6: So it's something they will resolve and hope they have revolved in fact on the pricing, so one would hope it would get better as we go to half with That's a one that we've found in Europe.
Speaker 2: So we had I guess the announcement of a trade deal between the US and the EU. I don't think what's it mean for the spirit's business, the beer business, the wine business.
Speaker 6: Asking for a friend, I hope you've already stocked up that fifteen percent is probably is probably a good outcome given some of the rumors that were going around from April on was that he could have gone up to two hundred percent. But obviously the cost of beer coming in for someone like Harneck, and they basically ship in from either Holland or Mexico. Some of the Mexican beer may well be tariff free on the US NCA agreement, but then you've got the out sort of the cans, So lord knows how much that will push the price up. But yeah, they'll just have to push prices up on beer and spirits. Spirits at fifteen percent, probably say it's not huge, but it'll mean pushing price is up three four percent something of that order on top of what they would normally try and get. So it's it's not going to be easy to do, but it's not as disastrous as thirty percent or something like that, which Renby said last week would take profit slaand for thirty five million euros, so a little bit better than expected or feared, but it's still not going to be great and.
Speaker 7: US wine there really isn't anybody that.
Speaker 6: Exports wine that's quoted, so it's a bit difficult to say all the impact is. But it will certainly make it more expensive compared to your good, US great varieties at car on the market. So I would have thought you'll see people switch to US lines.
Speaker 5: I find that's kind of disturbing. This part of the story where you quote the CEO of Heineken beer markets have declined that it pays Heineken has rarely seen any time before. Is this the end of humanity as we know it?
Speaker 6: Well, if it carries only I think there was. There's stories that, you know, the gen Z's have given up and drink. I think that's that's wildly wrong. But there's certainly people are abstaining during the week a little bit. But the real problem is that people are drinking more at home rather than going to the pub, and that's sort of change. That's the big change from COVID. So you've got to make sure you get your pricing at retailers right. Goes back to your original question because people that know it's sort of more like eighty percent drinking at home in the US, it's anywhere between sort of fifty and twenty percent, depends on where you're on the world, but a lot more people drinking home and going to POGs and clubs. So the mix is poor really or has been, and it needs the good summer would help and in these people to have a bit more money in their pocket as well, so maybe feeling a little bit more confident that they can go out and spend with their friends rather than buying it cheap from and entertaining at home.
Speaker 2: Doncan are you one of this is a national phenomenon because it's a phenomenon on the Jersey Shore, which is people are drinking like these iced tea vodka things, the white Claws, all this stuff that's not beer.
Speaker 6: Are you seeing that?
Speaker 2: Is that a trend around the world.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been at my beach, by the way.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, it seems to be that is a trend.
Speaker 6: You get a lot of ready to drinking being pushed and they big for sort of twelve eighteen months, and it does tend to go against the beer volume more than anything else. Spirit companies are doing it with no spirits now, and they're also pushing you in bigen and tyic already to drink gin and time and stuff like that. So there's just a lot more choice to the consumer than there was, you know, when I was a kid, So it just takes a little bit of a shine off. You can try new things, and I'd say people are spending more. I'm spending a similar amount on artcult just buying less of it in terms of volume. So it's all about getting the value right. Premium brands are doing well in Premium brand did very well in these results, but it's only twenty four percent of their overall volume, so you know, four point five percent on twenty four percent doesn't sort of help.
Speaker 5: Any chance Heinniken is going to build a brewery of factory in the United States. I mean, I don't know if it would be the same.
Speaker 7: I would say it's unlikely.
Speaker 6: It's that's a big commitment, and you've got to make sure that the volume growth will be there because otherwise you're you're spending quite a lot of cap over the next two years. If you had a site ready today, and then you've got to make sure that you have enough falling through. But for that, for that to make money for you and be better than shipping it in. Even with the tariffs. At this moment, it doesn't seem that they're likely to build a brewery in the US. But if tarists are higher, suspective would be a challenge. But I mean, they're building a big one in Mexico and I suspect a ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, all right, Donki, thanks so much for joining us. Duncan Fox senior Consumer Staples analys fro Bloomberg Intelligencies over there in London, and they shut down the Bud brewery in Newark right by Newark Airport.
Speaker 3: Did they?
Speaker 2: I think so? I think that I don't know as a bush brewery right across the I didn't never hear about that. Yeah, I think that's a thing here, Yeah, Field Chip exactly.
Speaker 3: To do some investigative reporting. Exactly.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apple, Coarcklay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: All Right, we got John Tucker, Paul Swing you live here, in our Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio, and we are also doing that internet thing. We're on YouTube's ahead over to YouTube dot com and search a Bloomberg Live radio and that's where you'll find us Terras Europe. I guess we got a deal in John, so.
Speaker 5: We have a deal, but I'm still begging for some more details, especially when it comes to pharmaceuticals and autos.
Speaker 2: True, and with all these deals I'm expecting, don't you have to negotiate these for like a year or two and there's like ten thousand pages agreement or it's this just like a one page term sheet we kind of put across the table and somebody.
Speaker 3: Initial is it. We're good to go.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Somebody's got answers.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Brendan Marry. You might Brenda Marry.
Speaker 2: He's a Bloomberg God. Big take story today entitled Trump tariffs are already stunting world growth, but the markets are shrugging here, So let's get to it. Hey, Brendan again, another big trade deal announcement today with the European Union. They're coming fast and furious.
Speaker 7: You know. I guess if you're looking at the.
Speaker 2: Economic data, I'm not sure we've seen any slowdown in the economy. I'm not sure i've seen any pickup inflation, which were two of the concerns for a lot of people out there.
Speaker 3: What is your reporting show?
Speaker 8: Yeah, our reporting shows that when you look at what companies are saying their capital investment plans are and what they're saying about how they're going to try to absorb these costs, whether those are in margins or passing those costs on the consumers, that these tariffs are starting to take a bite. They're not happening all of a sudden. It's this kind of slow grind on the economy that we're seeing, and you can see it in some of the in some of the of the surveys that the government or private surveys that are that are are reported. So the lesson here is that you don't just flip a switch and get inflation overnight. It's a slow, slow moving process. And the deals that are coming in from President Trump, the markets are celebrating because they're not the worst case scenario, but it still makes goods. The EU deal, let's say, makes European exports to the US fifteen percent more expensive, So that's just the bottom line. And that's that's an economic head win in any economist book.
Speaker 5: Hey, Brendan, when we hear Secretary Lutnik speak, for instance, he'll be saying something like, China is going to pay so and so is going to pay settle this for us for people don't follow us too closely. They're not paying. It's the consumer. It's a tax, is it not.
Speaker 3: The American importers pay tariffs.
Speaker 8: They pay these taxes to the Customs to Bureau. And so now those importers could go to the exporter in China or the European Union or wherever and say, hey, this is costing me an extra fifteen percent, can you lower your price? That happens in some cases most of the time the profits of that company take a hit. They or they pass it on and or they pass it on to consumers. But the bottom line is they've got less to invest in, they've got less money to hire people. So this is this is what our reporting shows today in the Bloomberg big take is that we are starting to see that slow grind on the economy that tariffs have, that that economists would warn you about, that are happening now that the Trump administration would argue, look, this is going to incentivize companies to produce more in the United States, and some of that may actually happen, so we shouldn't discount that completely.
Speaker 3: But the tariffs hurt well.
Speaker 8: More a lot more companies and consumers than they do help. Look at the steel Look at steel tariffs. We've seen an increase in domestic steel prices. There are a lot more companies and employees of those companies that use steel then make steel, and they are paying that they are paying the price for it.
Speaker 2: So where will we see it, you know, Craig, I mean are we seeing Will we see it in GDP numbers? Will we see it in headline inflation numbers? And if we do see it when, when do you think we will see it in the hard numbers?
Speaker 8: Is?
Speaker 2: I know economists like to talk.
Speaker 8: About so the investment figures. We're going to watch this week's GDP number very carefully. This is the second quarter. We're, like the headline numbers, likely to see a bounce back. Remember it was a negative first quarter. The second quarter should be something in the two and a half percent range. But if you look at the the the part of that those numbers that will tell you, will give you a clean look at how companies are investing. That number is supposed to be flat, So there was a lot of distortion with tariffs over the over the second quarter, so some of that will still be some noise, but noise or not, that's those are companies that are not investing for the future in things like that will help their productivity and their growth.
Speaker 5: How long does this take to wind its way through before consumers. I mean, you've already mentioned steel, for instance, but of the other parts of the inflation to show up in the economy.
Speaker 8: It could take a couple of quarters. You know that the Trump administration is rolling these deals out fairly gradually, or you know they're coming quite quick quickly towards the August first deadline, but they're going from ten percent to fifteen percent in a lot of cases, and so you know, we're just going to see those costs for the American importer go up even higher. And what's really crushing to a lot of these businesses is the small the small one get The small businesses get hurt the most. The large retailers of the world they have, you know, more the wherewithal to withstand some of this, but it's really the Small Business and National Retail Federation has chronicles a lot of small businesses that are getting hit.
Speaker 2: All right, Brendon, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Brandon Mary, Global Trade Editor, Bloomberg News.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal