Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a spooky edition of NFL Power Rankings. Mike amalong with Eric at home. And there's nothing better than going through thirty two NFL teams. And if you want analysis on all of them, all you have to do is check out in the NFL dot com. I mentioned the spooky theme, Eric, I know you're dressed enough for Halloween. What's the costume.
Speaker 3: Then we've got a sort of a circus theme going. I'm the strong man, and believe it or not, I didn't even campaign for that. It must just be my reputation. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it and it is fitting for you. Side note for me, I'm just gonna eat the candy. So I'm on set for a smart move coverage. Yes on anfilm network. All right, let's get to it. Because I was excited. I saw the rankings come out. I got a little preview, and yes, there is a new number one, the Detroit Lyons moving into the top spot. The Kansas City Chiefs still unbeaten, falling one spot to number two, the Buffalo Bills sitting at three, and yes, Josh Allen is human and did throw an interception at number four. It's the raven who cannot close out Cleveland. Don't know what to make of it. We will discuss Commander's got outplayed, but they've figured out a way to have maybe the most memorable Hail Mary we have seen, and we'll see in a while. They sit in that number five spot. Malik willis to the Rescue Packers at six. The Vikings two straight losses, sit at seven, and the Houston Texans are occupying the eighth spot now six and two, two games ahead of the Colts in the win column. So, Eric, you decided to make a change at the top spot. I'm not hating on this. The Kansas City is still the only unbeaten team in the NFL. So why did you feel so confident in what you've seen from Detroit to move them to the number one spot on your power rankings?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, as I wrote in the power rankings, is less a reflection of like the Chiefs as it is more that the Lions just seem to be a more dangerous team right now. Anytime you can go out and have a two hundred yard day on offense to score fifty two points. I guess that's pretty efficient. And you know, they really dominated in all three phases. They didn't run a lot of offensive play, so it's not if their average was so bad and they still broke off big plays like Jamir Gibbs and Montgomery throwing a touchdown past the Laporta. They got in the end zone plenty of times, but special teams gave them great field position, defense gave them turnovers. And if you get wide open passes like this all day long, yes you are worthy of the top spot. Again, nothing against the Chiefs more is just that the Lions have overcome so many things and one games in so many different fashions. Had to make the flip this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they look like a dominant football team. And I think that's the eye test. And I hate using that phrase because it's, you know, certainly subjective, but at the end of the day, the lines of a plane some outstanding football. Another tough test for them as they match up on the road against the Packers. Hopefully Jordan Love will be ready to rock and roll, so that means the Chiefs fall to the number two spot. I think fans in Kansas City are ready to atch you on social media. Explain why the last undefeated team all they do is figure out ways to get wins are sitting at number two for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this sort of reminds me a little bit of what the Philadelphia Eagles did last year. They got out to that ten and one start, and they kept winning games, and at one point during pretty deep into that streak, our opponents had more touchdowns than they did. Now, it's not quite to that level in Kansas City, and they always seem to be kind of one step ahead of their opponents. But on Sunday, he just sort of felt like they left the door open, right Patrick Mahomes through the interception there. Yes, it was a throwback game for Kelsey and he's got a new running mate there and DeAndre Hopkins, and there is certainly a little bit more offensive promise. You see guys like Worthy start to break out a little bit here, and defensively, we know they're great, but they did allow Gardner Minshew to kind of come down the field a couple times and make it a close game. Had the Raiders capitalized in some of those red zone possessions, there'd be a better reason to move them down because the Chiefs might have lost that game. So again, like you said, the formula still works. They're still beating teams, but how long can this last? Are they gonna be able to step on some team's next metaphorically speaking that we get into the season. Then again, last year she said a similar formula and ended up pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eric, you know, coming off of the show last week, I was convinced in my mind that the Baltimore Ravens I was going to go back and forth with you as deserving in the number one spot. Guess what they lose against Cleveland and that's a problem here four drops for Lamar's I'm watching this game unfold. I'm thinking to myself, man, like, these are golden opportunities. I don't know what to make I think it's fair, completely fair where you have them right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and drops on both sides. The ball right there was the like you said, the four by the receivers there were Sean Bateman had a big one that could really flipped the field there at the end of the game. But also Kyle Hamilton's dropped interception. Jameis Winston comes back, strikes him and puts him down. And this is now the eighth time since the start of the twenty twenty two season that the Ravens have led going into the final two minutes of the game and came out with a loss. Obviously a distressing trend that we see. I mean, look, Lamar Jackson's outstanding. He could do it with the best of them. Had big plays in this game, you know, certainly was a big part of putting him in a position to win, but couldn't finish it off. The defense certainly carries a lot of the burden for that, but his receivers have to step up too. They've got to find ways to haul in the football when it's put on target. And yeah, this is just a little bit of another second loss this season against a seemingly lesser opponent along with the Raiders in Baltimore. So look, I mean, these are the kind of losses that not only hurt your seating, but also kind of hurt your reputation. We're talking about some of the heavyweights in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look this division, and we'll talk Steelers coming up in just a bit. We'll talk about Famous Jamis as well, and yes, Cincinnati will also be a topic of conversation, not in a good way. But it is wild to me from a Baltimore perspective. I felt like they were the best team in this division right now, looking up at Pittsburgh in the standings, the Commanders moving up two spots. Here we go, the Hail Mary, all the hooplah and the fanfare that we have seen. It was entertaining. They were fortunate to get this win. I wasn't sure how you were going to treat them, but I guess W is a w and they move up two spots in your power rankings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd said earlier you thought they maybe outplayed the Bears. I would disagree. I thought I thought the Commanders were the beat.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, I've got you heard that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought the Commanders were the better team for the first fifty minutes. They did. They start sort of giving up some ground there at the end a little bit. First of all, the swift touchdown, a little bit of a break down there and let the Bears get back into it. Two cracks at the end zone there, one that failed and one that worked, And yeah, there was a little bit of worry there. But obviously when you have, you know, an injured quarterback who can make magic like this and oh Chicago, don't let him go back to the other side. They did hit it, of course he burned them. Jalen Daniels made a terrific throw. The Bears were disorganized defensively, the Commanders were in their right spots. They made that play. Also, smart execution. On the two plays prior the Bears gave them a ton of space. They took advantage. I don't think Daniel was able to make that throw if the Bears don't allow them. Sort of twenty four three yards at least thirteen of them were or pretty easy. So great execution. You're down at twenty five seconds in your last gasp, doesn't look good. But with this kid, I'll tell you what, his equanimity, he's cool, his calm. They're all very impressive. And that Washington defense too, held Caleb Williams and the Bears in check for most of this game, and I thought did an outstanding job. That's for the last five games, Mike, where you have to see they've played well on that side of the ball, even if it remains somewhat of a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, you talk about that last sequence, I thought Tony Roman and I'm usually not big on talking about broadcasters. I thought he did a tremendous job on the broadcast to break that down from a quarterbacks perspective. And Jayden Daniels, you know he's banged up with the rib injury. I was also concerned about him being able to make a throw like that he delivered in the game's crucial moments. And the only other thing that I will say about this game, I'm thrilled that it played out this way because I feel like this is a start of one versus two, two quarterbacks that are always going to be linked and will always go back to this game, and hopefully these two spots are to be butting heads for a long long time with those two quarterbacks and Eric. There are some other news to get to with the team that you had slotted at number eight, that's the Houston Texans. We Sustefon Diggs get banged up. Weren't sure exactly in the moment the severity of the injury, but Demko Ryan's making it an official ACL injury. He has done for the year. What does this mean for the Texans moving forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is obviously a tough blow. They made the big trade in the offseason, they felt like this was going to kind of bring the unit together, take CJ. Strout of the next level. Had it done that before the injury, I don't know, but obviously removing him from the equation and not having Nico Collins for at least another week. Remember the Texans played the Jets on Thursday. Is Tank Dell your number one receiver? You know? I mean, is Dalton Schultz have to step up for a big roller? Is there going to be a Joe Mixon game? I'm not sure, but this takes yet another weapon away from CJ. Stroud. He lost Mixon for a bit. You know, they had John Metchi on ir for for a whole year. Other guys you know, have to step up out like Hutchinson. Well, but now Stefan Diggs going down takes a big threat away, and even when Collins comes back, I think they're going to be shorthanded.
Speaker 2: Mike, Yeah, any concern Just look, I mean, trade deadline right around the corner. They this is a move that they've made, like, this is a really good Houston team that's got to be thinking Super Bowl aspirations. And maybe Diggs was that missing piece. They don't have them now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, if they can get somebody cheap, obviously, that's the best way to do it. Right, If you get somebody trying to unload a salary, or somebody in the final year their deal or something like that lip them a future pick on day three, I think that would be outstanding. What the Texans don't want to do is kind of upset the future till of picks. You know, they've done a great job building this rosters through the draft, and so why veer away from a plan that's been highly successful just to fix a short term need that may not end up in a Super Bowl. So it's a it's a catch twenty two either way.
Speaker 2: Tough balancing act for that organization as they try to figure out short term goals and long term goals. So we're just getting started here on rankings. In fact, there is one team that continues to win. They got a quarterback that's elevating their offense. Eric hasn't moved them, though. We'll tell you who it is and why I think they should actually move up the touch that's coming up next back here on power rankings, Mike ham and Eric at Home with You, and no change at the number nine spot. The Pittsburgh Steelers occupying that at ten Philadelphia Eagles, so once again back to back weeks. That's what we're looking at with those two teams at number eleven. Bone Nicks eight passing touchdowns for rushing touchdowns leads the team in rushing touchdowns so far this season. They are sit at number eleven. At twelve, it's the Falcons, who will get to in just a minute.
Speaker 3: The Bears.
Speaker 2: We touched on them at thirteen and that tough loss on the Hail Mary. At fourteen, the forty nine Ers speak Dallas. They move up two spots, starting to get maybe a little healthy. Good to see Debo out there. The fifteenth ranked team, it's the Chargers, match the season high with twenty six points and the Bucks. They hung tough without Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. They are at number sixteen.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: The Steelers, to me, I'm almost surprised. I wasn't sure. We finished up our post game show on NFL Network on Monday night and I'm walking off the set with Steve Witch and I'm like, I actually said to him, I'm like, I'm wondering where Eric's gonna put the Steelers. They're winning football games. The defense is playing well, they're occupying the top spot in the toughest division, and yet no change. Why not move them up a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, part of this was the real estate around them, Mike. We got to look at the comps right and a lot of teams just south of them and just north of them won and one in either similar fashion or you know, not so impressively that I had to move one team up or down. It was slow going early. I mean, the run game was fine, and then finally they get the deep ball going. This was what really I thought changed the game. Obviously the punt return too, but you know, getting the vertical shots that Russell Wilson is so good at getting that really kind of I think unlocked the offense. Now, Russell did put the ball on the ground late, and you know it required TJ. Watt to come up with his weekly force fumble and being bishop to get another interception. So they had to make some late saves. Defensively, Daniel Jones got in a rhythm early and then was harassed. What five sacks on the night, I want to say, And you know they just closed the door, even if they let Tyrone Tracy loose a few times. So yes, a little bit of a sluggish start, but they ended up getting the job done in moderately oppressive fashion. Again, like you said, the formula works. They keep winning. You got to give Mike Tomlins some Coach of the year cred for his decision on Wilson and for keeping it going with two different quarterbacks and having the results be very similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually glad you brought up that point. A really important distinction there. I think a lot of people were questioning the change to go to Russell Wilson considering the success in terms of wins and losses that the Steelers have, But it looks like it's elevated them. They needed this win. They head into the by next four games for them are monster matchups, especially inside that division. Eric, we moved to the twelfth ranked team, the Atlanta Falcons that lead the NFC South after that win against Tampa Bay. Look, there's some great moments, there's some questionable moments on this squad, but they move up three spots for you. How much of this is Look, they got to win and you want to love them up because of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, obviously want to recognize to win but also it's kind of a reflection of the division now now that they've swept the Bucks, now that the Bucks basically have to finish a game ahead of them if they want to win the NFC sal That's a big factor, right there, is that. Look, there's a really good chance the Falcons are getting a home playoff game this year. And you know, Kirk Cousins, I'm sure he would love to face the Bucks again. I think he's averaging roughly one hundred yards a quarter passing against them, so pretty good numbers, a lot of them built up in the five hundred yard game earlier this season, but also a strong first half this year. Didn't need to do as much in the second half. Actually thought they took the foot off the pedal a little bit and that safety kind of got the Bucks back in the game somewhat. But you know, Kirk Cousins finding ways, I think that was a career I scramble right there. A pretty good effort from him. And you know, you get Kyle Pitts involved and he had a few big plays, two touchdowns, almost lost one of them. So you're right, they kind of give you reasons to not like them. They let the Bucks back in the game. You know, Pitts almost fumbles this one here, Antoine Winfield nearly made a terrific play. It held up on review. But there are just these little things that prevent me from getting him in the top ten. But clearly they're winning enough to get in that top dozen.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing I'll throw out there, four and zero right now inside the division. So at the end of the day, if there is a formula to get to the postseason, handle business inside your division. That's why they sit the top right now. The NFC South, the San Francisco forty nine ers, trying to keep this thing the patchwork and keep it alive. They figured out a way. Dallas made an interesting late in this ballgame. I sort of felt like, hey, you know, Nyer's got this one heading into the fourth quarter and they were going to take care of business. I don't know, like they're still dangerous to me, but it feels like the perception of invincibility is no longer there with this Niner squad.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I agree, that's a terrific way to describe him. Right now. I think people feel like they can beat this team, whether it's in San Francisco, obviously the Rams came back with a big fourth quarter to beat him, or whether it's you know, in the opponent's building or whatever. So yeah, this is a San Francisco team that's having to kind of reinvent itself on the fly.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: Look, the bye week happens at a nice time.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: They can finally get even healthier. Maybe Drea Drake greenlaws back, Maybe Christian McCaffrey comes back at some point two. The ingredients are there. I know the IU C loss was tough, but Brock Purty using his legs a little bit more getting those first downs, and Dallas came out and played hard. I mean they were gaining a lot our yards after scrimmage and making some big plays defensively, and you know, the forty nine ers were able to kind of hold up to it and stand tough. And this guy right here, Ricky Pearsall could be a big factor down the stretch. They need that third weapon if you will. I don't know if you can count on George Kittle to produce like this every single week. So it helps when your defense takes the ball away as well, and just enough, you know, just enough defensively, just enough offensively and they get healthier, they're kind of back in that just outside the circle of trust group.
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, you know what's interesting this and I think you alluded to it. This was a big boy football game. Both of these teams probably felt like they absolutely needed it. It was physical from the get go. Both teams wanted Niners victorious. We'll talk about the Cowboys coming up in just a bit here, but the reality is the Niners to me, at least on paper, I'll say this look more dangerous than the Atlanta Falcons. I would be more concerned later in the season playing San Francisco than Atlanta, at least right now. Point how both of these teams look by season zen. Meanwhile, there is one team that eric'scott sitting in the twenties that I think is poised to make a not only a run in their own division, but a run in the playoffs. Will tell you who that is. It's coming up next on NFL Power Rankings. Power Rankings continue to roll on with teams ranks seventeen through twenty four. The Seahawks have lost four out of their last five games. The car Erdos at eighteen. I got that walk off win. We got news around the Colts coming up in just a moment. At number twenty, it's the Rams who are on the rise. Cowboys, Oh Boy, under five hundred through seven games for the first time since twenty twenty. They are the twenty first rund team. Cincinnati at twenty two, we'll talk about them in just a moment. The Dolphins, they got to a back doesn't equal a win, and the Jets at twenty four just continue to find ways to lose some games. I mentioned some news the Colts, who sit at number nineteen. Tom Pellisero is reporting it's not gonna be Anthony Richardson Joe Flacco getting the start this coming week. What do you make of the decision?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously I put the power rankings to bed before this news came to light. I'm not sure if I would have moved down, at least just based on how Flacco has run the offense compared to Richardson. Flacco a lot more on schedule, a lot more consistent, a lot more drive to drive success, I would say. Now, Richardson has been kind of all or nothing. He made some terrific throws. On also had some big runs late. But you know, Mike, I can't help but think that tapping out on that third and goal play, even if the game from outside the twenty, probably didn't sit well with the coaching staff. Again, this is me speculating. It probably didn't sit well with fans, probably didn't sit well with some players. I don't know how much that had to do with the decision. We'll find out more from Shane Stikeing once he talks and explains his move here. But can't say I'm totally surprised. Although this was only Richardson's tenth start in the NFL. They got to develop him or figure out what he is exactly or how he can improve if they're going to have a future quarterback, you know, the former top five pick running the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Colts on the road matching up against the Vikings, who are a team that has now lost two consecutive games. At number twenty, they move up three spots. So you loved him up here. I think the Rams are poised for a big run. This division has been look, teams are just struggling, right, I mean, that's just the reality of it. Injuries all over the place. Good news for the Rams is they got the injuries out of the way. If they stay healthy. This might be a glimpse of what we've seen, or at least expected to see against that Minnesota defense. I mean they put up over thirty points. Pooka is out there, Cooper Cup is balling again. I think they're dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the two guys we didn't think we're going to play this past week, Puka Naku and Jade and Days both go out there and play outstanding football games. And you know, Nikua was the target right away. Stafford had no problem throwing them the football a little slower, burned with Cup, but he had his imprint on this game as well. Drew some flags, had the touchdown, a couple big catches in between two And if you did nothing but watch Matthew Stafford when he didn't have his top two receivers, you saw an uncomfortable quarterback. At least I did. I felt like this is a guy who's out of rhythm, wasn't sort of feeling in the same groove that he normally is in. But last Thursday was a different story, and against a good defense too, So Karen Williams those receivers, he still have to Marcus Robertson, you know, I mean Sean McVay calling plays a defense that's becoming more optimistic. I like their chances, even though it's a division that's very, very crowded. Everybody has four losses at this point.
Speaker 2: Now look for four and four, well four and four, three teams right sitting in that division with that record. The Rams are actually just one game out with a three and four record, and they go on the road against Seattle this coming week, which really could mix up these standings in such a meaningful way and get the Rams back into this mix up. They're not even out of it right now. Cincinnati, I've been high on them all season. I've been kind of giving it to you a little bit. To sit at number twenty two, I'm done. I'm done doing the defending. You gotta be good teams, and you lost some games earlier that maybe you shouldn't have lost. But to look the way that they did against Philadelphia, I think they're deserving they drop two spots to number twenty two. I will not campaign the rest of the season for them, Eric.
Speaker 3: This is a campaign promise I can get behind. I really I like this one right and nothing against the Bengals probably, But when you get to a certain point, we can only give you so much rope, only so much slack and assume that the next big win is around the corner. Look, they started well at this game, had a great opening drive, you know, had the lead after the first quarter. Eagles a little bit more of a slow starting team, and you know, without T Higgins out there, it just made such a difference. And this should be a message to the Bengals for next year too. I mean, if they're you know, if they have any designs on being back in the Super Bowl, hunt, you've got to have those premier playmakers out there. I don't know if a Jamar Chase and Joe Burrow combo without any other sidekick, if you will, is going to get it done. The lack of run game the offensive line is an issue, and that defense really hasn't had a big game in a while. So all the reasons you said and what I added on, I think we can we can move on from them.
Speaker 2: The unfortunate thing about this is Joe Burrow heading into this past game against Philadelphia was playing at an MVP type level. Wasn't getting made much love because you know, team's not winning some football games. And that's why I'm disappointed with the squad. Let's go to the rankings on the board on teams twenty five through thirty two. The Saints now six straight losses. What's going on here? The gem and cannot get out of their own way. They're at number twenty six. The Browns and we'll talk about them in just a moment, score twenty points in a game for the first time this season. The Jags at twenty eight.
Speaker 3: The Raiders turn.
Speaker 2: Off turnovers and more turnovers at twenty nine, The Patriots signs of life snap the six game slide, Drake made some health concerns as they are number thirty. At thirty one, it's the Titans, and at thirty two it is the Panthers. Eric, the team that moved up three spots for you up to twenty seven. The Cleveland Browns. It is all about Famous Jamis. Why are things going to be aokay with him at the QB one spot?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They made some changes, haven't there? Right? Kevin Stefanski gives up play calling duty, they trade Amari Cooper and when Deshaun Watson gets hurt, Jamis gets his chance and he doesn't blow it. I mean, if he had a great game Now, granted, did he need a little luck, you know, having a dropped interception there at the end and almost cost the Browns. Sure, but you know I love the way he attacks downfield and showed no fear this Brown's offense for so long it looked like it was stuck in the mud. You get Nick Chubb back as well, and things have kind of gotten a little a little more exciting now. So look, are they gonna win this division? Probably not, But if there's anybody who can pull off the miracle, and this year's Joe Flacco, it's probably Jameis Winston. Then you had a great game, sound, and let's see if you can keep it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to move up these three spots and be one of the power movers presented by Energizer says a lot when there's no Deshaun Watson and it's a guy like Jamis Winston leaving the charge against that raven squad. This game this week might get a little dirty for the Cleveland Browns because you know that coach Arbam wants to junk it up a little bit as they match up against the Chargers. Hope everyone enjoyed this edition of NFL Power Rankings. Eric I know we got trick or treating around the corner. You're the strong man, not only in real life, but also on the show and on Halloween. Everyone be safe and grab that candy.
Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.