Speaker 1: This episode was recorded prior to the saga after Strike.
Speaker 2: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Scandalshas and Katie.
Speaker 4: I'm doing a play reading at my theater company. I am a which Geirmo has worked with before, and I I can't tell you how much scandal is just like in my I don't know what happens when you do one hundred twenty.
Speaker 2: Why, Like it's in your head, like you're thinking about it all and take a beat like fucking You're like, maybe they're the ones that are bad at not speeding it up. Maybe it's no.
Speaker 4: I just feel like my internal clock is fast anyway, and so it is. I just fit with scandal better than things that are slower.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, wait did you just come from there now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Fuck, I've been acting all day. Can't you tell? My voice is so warmed up?
Speaker 2: Project to the back. We should also say to our listeners that today happens to be for twenty. It's April twentieth, So if y'all want to smoke it up, put that smoke in the air while you're listening to this podcast.
Speaker 4: Oh, I am definitely getting fucked up tonight.
Speaker 2: When this episode airs. Obviously it won't be for twenty, but right now, just know that it's for twenty. When we're recording it, I almost went and hit my bond, but I was like, no, let me not do that, because then I'm just gonna want to talk about food and eat the whole time. Wait a minute, that anyway.
Speaker 4: I want to ask, is this your first four to twenty in the history of four twenties where you have been stoned all day and you've been holding off? Or do you shoot sometimes on four.
Speaker 2: Twenty so you don't Sometimes it happens all the time.
Speaker 4: You are one of the great kings of cannabis in pop cannabis. See between the Chappelle Show, Half Baked and Weeds. Let it be known also listeners, I don't know I've ever told this story on this podcast, but one time I go over to Germo's. Did I tell you this?
Speaker 2: I don't think we did on the on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Now I go over to Scandals over We're all having withdrawals from our friends and not seeing them every day, and I'm like, I'm gonna go over GE's house. I'm gonna hang out, like on a Friday and I have childcare till four o'clock, so like we're all good, and I go into your house and I go into your scary cave dwelling thing, yes, the secret room, and you're like, well, let's smoke. And his secret room is fucking amazing, right. It has a dope TV. It has a fridge in there that has like kombucha that are all different flavors, and like amazing posters and scary stuff all around, all the different collector's items he has from horror movies.
Speaker 2: And it's rest the case with the secret door.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's amazing. And you're like, do you want to smoke? And I was like, yeah, of course, and you take out a huge bong and thank you for being such a gentleman because you offered me like a little baby bowl, like one hitter. Thank you. I so appreciate it. Would have I got so fucked up from just your weed in the.
Speaker 2: Pole, faced planted for sure.
Speaker 4: Oh no, call an ambulance, brain broken, We don't come back back from this.
Speaker 2: You would have gone home and just like eaten everything all those.
Speaker 4: I'm really fucked up. We're having a day. Gus smoked me up. I cannot drive like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you just gotta let loose, man, right, Sometimes you just gotta like sometimes loose.
Speaker 4: I have not been high in a good long time. I don't know why. I don't know what you're saying about my current state of affairs. My anxiety has been off the chart.
Speaker 2: Katie, me too. I think everyone's you know how many friends of mine are like, oh my god, I'm really going through it.
Speaker 4: I does feel like overwhelmed right now. I have some existential moments where I'm like, what is life? Everyone's going to die. We're all going to die for any of this.
Speaker 2: Listen, And the world is in flux right now. It's in chaos. It's literally in chaos politically and everything. Of course, we're all feeling anxious.
Speaker 4: I feel so anxious, and when I do, I get scared about smoking weed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It could go one of two ways, right Like. It could either make it so much better and I have fun and I feel a release and I feel like a perspective shift, which is so helpful, or it goes down a dark, terrible turn where everything becomes even worse, where it's like, holy fuck, we're gonna die. I'm gonna die I'm not going to see my children, my parents are gonna die. Everyone's sick, the whole world is sick.
Speaker 2: And then you're high, you say you're like, oh god.
Speaker 4: Why is the point of any of this? Like why are we even here? And then I start just being like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you spiral, spiral. I'm the same. I'm not that guy that could be anxious or feel down or whatever and be like, yo, I want to get high. I can't do that because for me, it accentuates the negative. I only like to smoke if I'm feeling really good, if I'm in a positive headspace, if I'm feeling you know, up and happy. Like if I'm not, I can't smoke, like I could drink. I could have a drink if I'm feeling down or whatever. And it sort of puts me into a little zen, you know, chill place. But weed is different.
Speaker 4: Have you ever done ayahuasca?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I'm intrigued by it, but I'm also like, I'm also a little bit scared because it's a long trip, right, isn't it like a seven to eight hour trip or yeah.
Speaker 4: And there's throw up in duty and all. For some people, you have that angel and you like drink a tea and then you puke. But like some people have such out of body like I understand the meaning of life and see like yeah, really what this is all about? And they like go to a different plane. And some people there's like some people who have like psychotic breaks and they like never come back.
Speaker 2: I feel like, oh Jesus Christ, see that would be I feel like that would be me. That would so be me.
Speaker 4: Have you ever done LSD or No?
Speaker 2: Hell no, same things, same thing. I'd be so scared of that shit.
Speaker 4: I'm so fucking old school and cheap. I'm like, give me my fucking wine, beer, vodka, whiskey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm straight.
Speaker 4: I'm getting give me my one hit on a joint, like two hits on a really nice joint.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We good. Like I've been doing the same shit since I was fourteen.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to experiment with some new high caliber like twenty twenty three stuff.
Speaker 4: No, no way, it's too scary.
Speaker 2: Remember when we were emailing back and forth, I was like, oh shit, at four twenty I would have already been smoking.
Speaker 4: But the first email of like, we have a very special guest today, let it be known and we got hit today, and Gama quickly wrote back like, oh my god, it's looking for twenty Like, if it's not the national holiday in your household, we shouldn't be working.
Speaker 2: Oh man, But the guest is so worth it. The guest m not so worthy.
Speaker 4: The guest can go down in history. Is one of the all time, all favorite characters on Scandal.
Speaker 2: I did a deep dive researching our dude that's going to be on and Homeboy has done one hundred and eighty films and television projects and still counting.
Speaker 4: I have so many questions to ask him because I want't know how we got the part, how he created the part. Yeah, here's the most fucked up thing about his part is that he was mimicking in a lot of ways someone that would go from the host of The Apprentice to the President of the fucking United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, how does he feel playing this character that was poking fun, making games, all of this stuff at this fucking joke of a man who ended up that the joke was on us people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sure was. Joke was on an egg, on all our faces.
Speaker 4: And on all our faces.
Speaker 2: And interestingly enough, he also played Julius Caesar at the public Theater, and the the theme or the.
Speaker 4: The parallel that they were making was that Julius Caesar was.
Speaker 2: Yes, correct, and people who lost their minds.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, lost their mind. So Greg Henry, God, damn it, we can't keep his name out of our mouths. We can't the one and only, most spectacular Greg Henleary, who created the one and only Greg We're stone right now, right, We're not even created the one and only Hollis Doyle.
Speaker 2: And let it be known that Hollis Doyle was created or was on the televisions of America before he who shall remain nameless became president?
Speaker 4: Can you believe that before he even put his name in the bid?
Speaker 2: Years before?
Speaker 4: I mean, Hollis Doyle was a character from season one. And that's what shit started to get really weird, and people started to be like, does Shonda know more than what like the public knows, Like forget ripping things out of the headlines, She's.
Speaker 2: Ripping shift from from back from the future, She's ripping shift into the present from the future, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: The fuck?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so wild? Did he know he was Trumpian? Did he just do that? On his own. Was he just like a Republican oil douchebag?
Speaker 2: Like Greg Henry is in the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Queen, you have not aged a day. I have just watched an episode of you from twenty thirteen, literally ten years ago.
Speaker 1: It's hard to believe that I was listening to you.
Speaker 5: I was listening to you guys with Shanda on the first one, which was great.
Speaker 1: The show was great. I learned a lot. So that's where I first heard ten years.
Speaker 2: I was like, right, like, where does the time go?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, COVID really fucked it up in that, like multiple years were eaten that were like what happened? We don't know and we still don't know what's going on. But Greg Henry, thank you for doing this. A b listeners, who's wearing the coolest hat?
Speaker 2: It's like a Cabby hat?
Speaker 1: I like you a Cabby hats.
Speaker 5: That's my side hustle now yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Tell us we need to know the origin story of Hollis Doyle, Like, did you audition? How did you build this character? Had you ever been on Shondaland shows before? Tell us the Hollis Oil creation story.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm kind of in the dark about it in a way. I mean, the part of Hollis was just offered to me.
Speaker 5: You know, I had done one lowly episode of Grey's Anatomy a few years before.
Speaker 1: I played a doctor who was.
Speaker 5: The mentor to Meredith Gray's mother, which, of course that would have been Kate Burton eventually. Yes, but this was way back in time this episode.
Speaker 1: Shanda knew who I was there, but I think.
Speaker 4: Linda Lowe, the casting director, just loved you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know she did at that point in time. You know, she offered it to me. I think I remember her talking about.
Speaker 5: A show I did a few years before called The Riches on Fax, and I played this drug addicted, rich, good old boy.
Speaker 1: So maybe that's what put it together for her in her mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say earlier, Greg, you have done quite a bit of work. I mean I did a little bit of research and you've done over one hundred and eighty did you know this about yourself? One hundred and eighty films and television projects. Yeah, so listen, the scandal folks knew who you were obviously, And also let me just say really quickly, you've worked on six Brian de Palmer films. You have been in Scarface, Body Double, Raising Kine, fem Fatale, The Black Dolly, The Casualties of War. You are my fucking hero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we look into Germa Diez is a horror movie obsessor Giermo of one hundred and eighty credits that the incredible Greg Henry has done. How many horror films?
Speaker 2: Can we just talk about the one horror film that's one of my favorite films. It's called Slither. It has the best special effects that I have ever seen in a fucking movie.
Speaker 4: Wait, what are they? Tell me what they are because I hate horror movies and I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: It's a small town that's taken over by an alien plague. It's sort of a cross between Job of the Hut and then the creature from a film called basket Case. I don't know if you guys have ever seen basket Case?
Speaker 4: Nope.
Speaker 2: And who's the lead actress that's in the film. She's Elizabeth Elizabeth Banks, Yes, yes, yes, it's Elizabeth Banks.
Speaker 4: My god, Greg Henry, you worked with everyone like so when you get the part of Hollis Doyle did the first time you try him on? Was it at a table read or was it when you showed up on set and you weren't invited to the table, Like, what do you remember it?
Speaker 5: No, it was it was the table roof and that's where I met everybody, everybody all at once. As you know, those table reads are epic. I mean, so it was quite the beat and greed.
Speaker 4: Did you know he was going to have like a southern accent? Did you know you were going to make the Hollis Doyle we all know and love today? Or was it? I can't remember.
Speaker 5: I can't remember the exact discript that was in the script, but it was described that he was you.
Speaker 1: Know that he was an oil billionaire from Texas. Yes, So I had a couple of.
Speaker 5: Good old boys in mind that I have known over the years. So I kind of stitched them together a little bit and went in there and read the lines.
Speaker 4: You're all over season one and you are all over season two. I mean you are. You are at the table with the goonies, You're you're at the table of Nosporot. It's like you Olivia Verna, Verna, me Lily, yes, Cyrus, and you're rigging the elections.
Speaker 5: The illuminati, right, Yeah, the illuminati, that's what they were called in the scripts now talk to us.
Speaker 4: The Trump of it all? Was that like something that came later or like, oh yeah, yeah, was it just the coincidence?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, I remember you were asking Shanda about the way things were sort of predicted within the show of things coming true from you know, AI to it's like she's writing the news. Yeah it was, but that came way later, and that was like season five that that stuff began, and I was gone for a whole couple of seasons in.
Speaker 3: There and.
Speaker 5: Came back for that, and I didn't know when I was coming back whether it was going to be just that or not, although there was an election coming up, but I didn't know how it was going to fit in. And then then you saw him sort of slide into into Trumpianism, you know, which was cool because you know, let's face it, Hollis, it's pretty big asshle.
Speaker 4: Asshole. But my god, I literally googled Hollis Doyle's five craziest most trump Like quotes from Scandal No way. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean there are so many sites. I mean, look about divorced in to Melly. Here's one divorce suits a woman. Well, I can see it in your hips. There you're leaner and meaner. You slap that figure onto match dot com, the men will come running. I promise you that.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: And this one about being rich. I got money, Republican money, the kind of money that wins elections, And just like it is with dating, I want to spend it on a gal who I think is gonna put out for me. You're gonna put out for me? Emili Grant? Or are we just going to rub jeans together and leave here frustrated?
Speaker 2: Oh fuck? Yeah, that same scene.
Speaker 1: Lines are from that same scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh my god, like, oh my god. Then also so many racist like amazing, like so many things about anti immigration, anti you know, calling now let's dig into the issue of them free loading illegals, like I'm just reading these whether it's fun. You do such a great job of not judging him, honestly, And what I love so much, especially in the episode We're going to talk to today, is this is really Hollisdoyle episode where we see him being vulnerable and like he's a person yes.
Speaker 2: For the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you did such a beautiful job of not poking fun or judging And I feel the same way honestly with Sally Langston, like your two characters. God, the joke lines they would give you.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I felt so lucky. I was so lucky.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like you were talking about the first episode and I sort of start with Jeff in the White House or we're talking about something and you know, what's going on in Iran and things like that, and then Nelly comes up pregnant and walks up into the scene and he's.
Speaker 1: Look at you. It was pleased and plump as a deer tick on a prize.
Speaker 4: Bool know which writer in the writer's room really took Hollis, because I mean I couldn't. I'm sure there's not every writer could really nail that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, me too, But man, they just wrote me such a great part, so so funny and so smart, and it was able to change in this way that was like because he pretty clear about how he plays the game early on, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, sure, dirty, real dirty.
Speaker 1: Dirty, yeah, real dirty. But but they always had this sort of gloss.
Speaker 7: That they put on it with the humor that he had, you know, even the racist stuff was a little lighter, you know, But then then it got into finding out what was wrong with him as a candidate, and they found out that he was like, you know, really horrible.
Speaker 4: What did they find out? I don't remember what did they find out?
Speaker 5: He was hanging out with a bunch of you know, former sort of KKK ers, racists, and I went.
Speaker 1: On hunting parties with him, And.
Speaker 4: You know, all right, that's not great. That's not great.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, guys.
Speaker 4: Wait another question for you really quick, and then we want to dive into the episode. Do you have top few memories of the show for when you were off set or any like of your favorite memories when you were on set?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't.
Speaker 5: I just have always such a general sense that I was always welcomed there and so appreciated and loved by kind of everybody.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know, it was just a warm place to be.
Speaker 5: And when you come in as a you know, as a guest star, even one that is supposed to recur, that's not always the case, you know, and so you really appreciate it when it does happen.
Speaker 2: I have a favorite memory of you, Greg, of you being on Scandal, and it's you eating one thousand hush puppies in this episode and eat you eat with such relish, such enthusiasm. You're a good eater. We talk about, you know, actors that eat really well on camera, and you're one of those. But I remember me and Katie have talked about this before, how in one of these scenes in this episode, you had to keep eating these fried hush puppies, Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I get to feel in that Ron. It was Ron Underwood Dragon. I think he was kind of just messing with me after a.
Speaker 5: While, you know what I mean, He's gotta like it covered from like, well, let's get it from here, Let's get it from down here, Let's get it, let's be going in.
Speaker 1: You know it was, it just never stopped.
Speaker 4: Like Garmo said, I think it's such a testament to a good actor when they're just like really fucking eating and not just like pushing some salad around on a place.
Speaker 5: Don't you hate that a scene and somebody's like moving it over here and over there. This scene has been like fifteen minutes long and not a bite has been taking.
Speaker 1: Oh I hate it.
Speaker 4: It's ridic is okay? Today on Unpacking the Toolbox, we are talking about episode two seventeen, titled Snake in the Garden, which aired on March twenty eight and twenty thirteen. It was written by rom La Mohamets directed by Ron Underwood. It was guest starring Greg Henry as Hollis Doyle, Scott Folly as Jake Ballard, George Newburn as Charlie, Joe Morton is Mysterious Man, Kurt Fuller is great In Osbourne.
Speaker 2: Sharp, Mila Diavar's Lauren Wellman Sonya Rockwell's Trixie, Melinda McGraw as Deborah Clarkson, and Andrea Bowen as may Bell Doyle.
Speaker 4: And a little bit of the synopsis. Starting off, Let's see how Greg Henry does.
Speaker 5: Hollis Doyle, a most unlikely person to ask for Olivia's help, becomes top priority for the OPA team when his daughter gets held for ransom. David Rosen might be in the middle of some trouble, and Olivia gets threatened by Graydon Osborne as she continues to point fingers at him for being the mole.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Huck continues to train Quinn on how to be a superspy, and the mystery of Jake Ballard thickens as he plays fast and loose with the truth in his relationships with both Fits and Olivia.
Speaker 2: After Osborne's dismissal in Sudden Suicide, we learned that Jake and and a mystery man staged the whole thing. Damn, I think Greg, Greg shout us out of the he he did it, man did it?
Speaker 4: Henry? You got that with your eyes closed.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: You just remember that Hollis had to speak quickly and most people with this accent don't, so it's kind.
Speaker 4: Of a real juxtaposition. So this episode, I freaking love it. And the winning scenes of this episode are all They're so much Greg Henry genius. To remind you, guys, like we already said, you show up at OPA. David is at OPA. He's sleeping in the office because he's scared for his life. Somebody broke into his apartment and we've got a new client. It's Hollis Doyle and his ex wife who she was.
Speaker 1: Great, she was wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And they come in hysterical while Hollis really isn't. But their daughter has been kidnapped for ransom, and Hollis thinks is a stunt that his daughter's trying to pull for money because she's a drug addict and a karthief and a total piece of shit.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 4: Hollis says, I want her back, but I will not pay a cent. Do you remember shooting any of these scenes?
Speaker 1: Do I remember? Yeah? No, I I kind of remember them. The food was one thing, you know, I had to do all that eating.
Speaker 5: But it was also sort of the first time for Hollis to be playing at OPA. Yeah, So so that was fun to see how you guys worked on the inside there.
Speaker 2: And it was always fun when when characters like your character interacted with myself, with Huck and with Quinn and with like Harrison, because we didn't usually bump into each other on the show, so it was always so much fun when one of those characters would come to Opia. And this whole this episode, most of your scenes were in Opa. I think pretty much all of them, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Except for the the hospital.
Speaker 5: I think I was there was like, yeah, ye scenes in the hospital.
Speaker 4: She was great too. She sends this ransom video where she's like, this is the bank rounding. Yeah, you wire the money, daddy, Yeah, like perfectly legible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want.
Speaker 4: What excites me so much Also about this episode is we finally see Quinn like getting good, you know, she's like under hawk and he's like, let's look at the ransom video. What do you hear? Close your eyes like it's not just about the lighting of the video. And I'm like getting all super spy like and Quinn's getting really really good at it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Yeah, that's that's fun to watch, you guys. Relationship was wonderful.
Speaker 4: It was really building a lot in this episode. Oh and Quinn gets to drive. I wrote, I was like, that's right me fake driving.
Speaker 2: Right, which is never really driving right on your camera. There there's like a truck pulling the car and you just have to act like you're driving.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Scenes always so much fun because then you just get to chill in the car, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love you just sit the whole time. You just do little acting because you can't really do like big, big acting in the car because you're sort of stuck in a little window. But then, what was so crazy about this storyline is that it's completely ripped from a real scandal. Jean Paul Getty do.
Speaker 2: You know this watch I know that JP.
Speaker 4: Geeddy, who was the son of the Italian oil family worth billions of dollars, was kidnapped when he was like sixteen or something and kidnapped and held in a basement for ransom for his family. And his family wouldn't give any money, I think because they had other children and grandchildren, and they were like, if I give one dollar, it's just going to send the message that they can kidnap any of our kids and will always pay.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: What they did was told him to drink a bunch of wine or something and like, get fucked up, because we're about to cut off your fucking ear and we're gonna mail it to your family. What yep?
Speaker 2: And they did it. Did they do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yep, Yeah, Yeah, he's only got one air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's only got one ear. They got his ear and they sent it, and his family sent the money after the ear was sent. But the guy, I'm pretty sure had a pretty after they got the money. I think. I think as the story goes, they just threw him on the side of the street and someone found this sixteen year old kid like walking down the side of the street with like a bleeding ear, having no idea where he was, and he was so messed up and traumatized and correct me if I'm wrong any of the producers listening. But in my mind. I think he actually did deal and struggle his whole life with like major drug addiction and things like that. At the end of time.
Speaker 2: Wow, I would have too, I mean, come on, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right as you would.
Speaker 4: So like, this whole episode is completely I mean other than she to blow the low, you know.
Speaker 2: To blow the blow it, blow it.
Speaker 4: She faked the ear cutting.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love that scene too, where you're like the thing, everything is like done, and no, Huck's back there with the ear. Yes, wait a minute, wait a minute, and he's sold it up and figuring out how it.
Speaker 2: Was cut and he's holding it up to Quinn's ear. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. He figures out that the cut of the ear is sort of serrated. He realizes that, you know, if another person and was doing it, they would have had good leverage and cut the ear cleanly off.
Speaker 4: I love that scene too because it's like, oh, Quinn's a freak. Quinn's a freak. Like the other people in the scene are like, ew, that's where we be doing and like gross, you can't have a fucking ear here, And I'm like, oh no, put it next to my head. I want to see what he's onto. But I love Hollis. They gave Hollis Doyle. Like there's the scene between Hollis and Quinn. Obviously Quinn hey Talis Doyle because of Cytron blow up and he ruined her entire life and killed Jesse Tyler. Yeah, but there's a beautiful scene where you're standing in Quinn's office and you're like, I just want my baby back.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, like I fucked up, Like I really messed up.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, crying of conscience and guilt, you know, blaming himself. You know, he said he doesn't know what happened, but he but he does says say that he let her down. Oh yeah, yeah, he had a real moment of conscious There was so.
Speaker 4: And my god, Greg Henry, I'm pretty sure you turned straight to camera and got like one tier kind of rolling down your face like a real pro who has one hundred and eighty credits on their IMDb can do well. Like I was like, holy can act.
Speaker 1: But it was.
Speaker 7: It was so cool though too story wise that then you know, hawk over hears Quinn leaving a message for her father kind of ties everything together.
Speaker 4: It really does, It really does. And then the other huge emotional scene for Hollis where we see Hollis being so different is towards more the end of the episode, when after Hollis's I mean g takes the ear and sort of measures it up, and Hollis like runs into the hospital and is like, my baby, we got the wired runners. She's back, We're good and comes in with flowers.
Speaker 2: And she's gone. Maybell is gone.
Speaker 4: And then she's calling a cab because she thinks she has the money. We learned that she can up to herself, and it's all tied up with a bow and then we realize, I.
Speaker 2: Guess who the cab driver is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the theme of today's episode is cabbyes, y'allab that's it. Hawk picks her up, takes her back to Olivia's office, and my god, that scene kills me. It's awful. Oh my god. Hollis is sitting across from her and is like, you have to choose, like right here, right now, family or money?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so heartbreaking it is.
Speaker 4: Do you remember shooting that or not? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do remember that scene. It was like kind of perfectly sparsely.
Speaker 5: Written, you know, and it was maybele was really good too, you know, she was she.
Speaker 1: Was amazing, she was wonderful.
Speaker 4: But she was amazing. Her name is Andrea Bowen. My god, she was perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but she and Melinda it was like, and then Carrie in the scene, it was like, really well set up. I don't think it took us a long time to really do, you know, it was all there on the page.
Speaker 2: I remember being in that scene and you could see it. I mean, it's on, it's in the episode, and whenever they cut to Huck, I'm like almost welling up, like it was to watch you guys work. The woman that played your wife. Her work was just so Melinda, so emotionally heartbreaking, and I remember just feeling so emotional watching you guys. It was just so good. It was those moments you guys ever have those moments when you're acting and then you're like, oh shit, I'm watching the other actor. The work is so good that I'm getting too caught up in it instead of being, you know, in the skin of the character I'm playing. And that kept happening in the scene, you know what I mean. Yeah, I was just watching and.
Speaker 4: Like god, that used happened to me on Scandal all the time, where I'd be like watching Carrie or watching Game and be like, oh shit, I'm supposed to talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's my line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's my line. Is there any other I'm trying to think, gee, any other? Are scenes in this episode that majorly stuck out? I mean the big eies for me, like all the Hollis do oil biggies, it's the deer, it's you emotional and Quinn's office, it's you with your daughter at the end, it's you eating hush puppies from now until the end of time. Who But then there's also a nice Olivia Jake, makey, makey, makey, audy, auty, sexy, sexy time.
Speaker 2: There is that, Yes, And there's also a scene between Melly and Fitz where she's trying to convince him that the children, you know, probably won't come to visit and all of that, and he's hooked on the whiskey too, and she's like, you wreak of whiskey every time the children are around, and they can smell it on you. It's such a powerful scene. She's so wonderful in it, and so is Tony.
Speaker 5: I love the direction on the scene where you guys are like you're doing your spy thing and you find the warehouse where Maybell was from you and you actually find the room and you're looking around the room and we're all discovering, well, there's the there's the curtains.
Speaker 1: Yes, but where's Maybell. And we're like, yeah, where's Maybelle? And it goes, well, she was here.
Speaker 4: It cuts to the cuts to the Bloody the Bloody cot.
Speaker 2: It was here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It just made me laugh when I saw it.
Speaker 4: It's funny. I do have distinct memories of the scene where they've wired half the money and Olivia Pope says, we'll wire you the other half with proof of life, you know, we'll tell you where, and Maybelle's like, no, no, no, I'll give you the address. And she gives us this address of this abandoned sort of gas station. And I remember shooting the scene because it was me, G and Carrie and we show up and Hawk is like the guard dog and I'm there just because I'm a baby spy, and out jumps Maybell as if she did such a great job. I remember.
Speaker 2: So she was pushed out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was pretending like she had been pushed by her abductor.
Speaker 2: There probably was a pa back there pushing her and she.
Speaker 4: Jumps out and carries on the phone and she's like I see her. I see her. It's confirmed, and Harrison is like done and sending the other half of the morning, and Olivia is saying to her like it's okay, it's okay, it's okay. Come to us, come to us. You're safe. Now, you're safe, And Huck has these amazing lines underneath his let me get him. He's like, let me ge him. I could still get him. And Carrie's like like no, no, stand down, Hawk like no, and he's like, I got it. There's still time. I could fucking take him. And then she runs into her arms. But I remember shooting that scene and it's nighttime and we're pulling into this like abandoned gas station and this girl is abducted and we get her and we throw her into the car and we sort of like peel off and it's so high stakes, and Olivia's screaming on the phone, and I do remember it at that point, being like, WHOA, I'm on a really fucking cool show, Like like when I auditioned, I thought I was on like a really fast talking like political women in power and like procedural case of the week, Like I had no idea I was going to be on something that was like dark and edgy.
Speaker 2: And action packed at times shitty.
Speaker 4: And like there was gonna be abduct shit, you know, like I just didn't know.
Speaker 2: You know what I remember. I remember they had soup that day. Do you remember that.
Speaker 4: Katie I loved when they had soup.
Speaker 2: They had made like three different pots of soup. Of course, it all goes back to.
Speaker 4: The food Garamo. When I talked about food of this podcast, it I it, are you a snacker on set? Or are you and Joe Morton where he doesn't eat, like he'd barely eats all day because he doesn't want to waste energy to digestion, you have.
Speaker 1: To use so much willpower.
Speaker 5: I'm like, basically like swatting my own hand half the time and bring in those crispy creams.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh shit, shit, Yeah.
Speaker 4: We will be back with more after the break. Some fun facts about this episode is that guest star Melinda McGraw played the second wife of Leroy Jethro Gibbs on NCIS. But fun fact is that Darby Stanchfield actually played the same character's first wife on NCIS. Wow, So that character has a thing for redheads. Oh yeah, I guess right.
Speaker 1: That must be.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it.
Speaker 4: And then both Greg Henry and Josh Malina had to eat a ton of food during the filming of this episode. Greg ate over fifty hamburgers and Josh ate twenty bowls of fruit loops, which he then threw out, not.
Speaker 2: The whole hamburger. You'd take a few bites and then we'd cut and then they'd bring you another burger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and no, wait, question, Greg, are you on Twitter? And I think you are?
Speaker 1: I am, Yeah, I'm on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Did you join Twitter during this time of the show when we were all on it?
Speaker 5: You know, the thing that was so great, one of the many things so great about the Scandal family and everything was because you would have these parties, you know, at Jeff and Linda's most often, and yeah, you'd watch the show so that you could then tweet while you watched the show when it was actually being aired. And I just took part of the great food and camaraderie of those parties and I was like, nah, Twitter, what I wouldn't know?
Speaker 1: Nahs, not for me.
Speaker 5: And and truthfully, no one ever said you got to do this. It wasn't until the final episode of season two that we did the live reading of.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes yeah when.
Speaker 1: She says dad and the place goes nuts. It was crazy.
Speaker 5: It wasn't until that episode that I got I got somebody to assist me to become a part of Twitter, and that was the first time that I ever sort of tweeted, and I did a couple of things that I thought were sort of holisy and never very comfortable with it.
Speaker 1: But I but I've tried.
Speaker 2: You know, same same. They just took our blue checks away.
Speaker 1: Did it actually happen, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It happened today. They all just disappeared. I was like, well.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard this yet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, they just took everyone's blue checks away, and you have to pay for it if you want it, if you want it back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's what they were threatening to do. And I looked earlier this morning. They haven't done it yet. But the whole reason that's there is because and Adam helped me a lot with this. Actually, I went on the Twitter and all of a sudden there was somebody claiming.
Speaker 1: To be me.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh no, all of a sudden, there reies another one. They just kept happening, and so we got ABC. Adam sort of called up. I think it was Christina Fleischer or something.
Speaker 4: Like that, Adam Shapiro, Yeah, Chrisina, to get it, get it all rectified, to get.
Speaker 7: It all rectified, and to have me verified as as a person, as an actor and as a Twitter being.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, now we're common folk again.
Speaker 4: Well that brings us to.
Speaker 2: The time tweet at the time you're ready to listen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that song keeps you boving.
Speaker 4: And Greg Henry, you're a big singer, songwriter, musician, huge.
Speaker 1: I do that.
Speaker 4: We need a little tweets of the time jingle, that's what we need.
Speaker 1: I don't know you seem to have that covering.
Speaker 4: But we read some because Twitter was such a huge part of our world that Greg Henry joined Twitter himself.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: So we're going to read a few of these in our closing.
Speaker 2: DC Cowgirl Forever tweeted, how stupid am I not to see the ending coming. Jake was not upset when the CIA director was harassing Olivia hashtag scandal.
Speaker 4: Oh right, that's part of the episode. We didn't talk about that. Yeah, Jake sort of.
Speaker 2: Well, he's watching Olivia. He has a cameras, but.
Speaker 4: That doesn't need to pin the mole on Osbourne.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes him and Papa Pope.
Speaker 4: And popa pope who comes in at the end, the mysterious man. He comes in at the end, and Jake has sort of framed Osborne to be the mole and Osbourne is going to go down. He gets fired and all of that and correct Moon to Jake is all in with fits okay? At j Q abroad, who's the j American Queen NBA on March twenty ninth, tweeted, how many of you would lose an ear and your family for twenty million dollars hashtag scandal? I would use an ear for twenty million dollars?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know if I would.
Speaker 4: Would you?
Speaker 5: You can get a nice prosthetic device for about two two million, I think something like that.
Speaker 4: You know, and you're a real musician, So for him to say it and lose his ear, I feel like we're good.
Speaker 2: Right, let's see at Renee Rico tweeted, you know there's a podcast for scandal, right, very fun. Betsy Beers used to do a podcast that we would all come on, and I was a guest on it. So you were too, Katie. Yeah, and she would do it from her office at Santa Gower and come on for she'd have different guests. Yeah, did you do it?
Speaker 5: Greg? I didn't do it. She was talking to me. They were talking to me about doing it, but then I was I was gone. I think in Vancouver something I couldn't and I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were doing film one hundred and sixty four.
Speaker 4: Your agents better be damn grateful for you, gregul.
Speaker 1: Could you put that in a song please.
Speaker 4: And whistle real loudly and let them know what an absolute gem, one of a kind talent and stand up guy.
Speaker 2: Yes they have.
Speaker 4: I'm so grateful that Greg Henry was all of our Hollis Doyle.
Speaker 2: We are, we are.
Speaker 1: It's been so much fun. It's so much fun to see you guys and the talk with see you.
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 4: Where are you? And are you still writing so much music? Singing performing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a you know, as a songwriter, you had my middle name, it's Greg Lee Henry, and so you can go to any place that sort of streams the music and find my songs.
Speaker 4: All right. We love you Greg Henry much. Also I just want to tell you, guys how excited we are. We are getting to the end of season two, what the hell? And I just want to tell you that next week, what is our next episode called? Gearmo?
Speaker 2: Do you know? I think it's Oh no, no, it's it's Molly You Endanger Girl. Oh my god, that's our next So our next episode is called Molly You Endanger Girl. So good to us.
Speaker 4: The best throwback line for a title from what was the movie Ghosts? From Ghosts starring Tony Goldwyn, Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, and Whoopi Goldberg. You in Danger Danger.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 4: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher. Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows,