Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Wait, we're doing this garage Man.
Speaker 2: Supreme Supreme Audition, Supreme So Supreme role called Supremo Supremo Role, Suprema Supreme roll.
Speaker 1: Call my feelings. Yeah, I can't control Yeah, because we're Finn. Talk to ye, missmocas Soul.
Speaker 3: Supremer Supreme Role came Suprema Supremo Role.
Speaker 1: My name is Sugar, Yeah, and I don't care, Yeah, because I just met two D Yeah, and we're friends with Blair.
Speaker 4: Supreme Supreme Supremo roll every Wednesday. Yeah, that's when we're on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My name is Boss Bill and that's one to grow on.
Speaker 3: SUPREMEA So Supprema roll came Subpremer Supremo roll.
Speaker 5: Yeah with kim the Queen. Yeah, if you're sure, Yeah, Reference Regime.
Speaker 1: Supprimer Supremo roll called.
Speaker 4: My name is Suprema.
Speaker 6: My name is Kimmy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm in the house. Yeah, I'm in New York. Yeah, I saw a mouse.
Speaker 3: Something Supremo role called Supreme Suprema roll called Suprema Son Suprema roll call.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad someone gets me. I'm currently as we speak, I'm currently house shopping right now. And my second question is any burn men. Yeah, I'm I'm I'm out. I've given houses away because.
Speaker 5: Oh you know what are you talking about there?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah that house. I saw a few rats in there. I was like, hey, merry Christmas.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what he did.
Speaker 1: I gave my house my sister. All right, guys, of course love here. You may have heard me. We got a bill, we gotta lie here, we got Steve and a family member is still out getting cigarettes. He said that he comes home eventually. But I don't know. I'm not being kurt, but there's really no time to waste, and it's not every day a guy gets to interview his uh childhood celebrity, which is anyway.
Speaker 4: I don't want to that next tool.
Speaker 1: I want to wait. I don't want to waste to act. I want to waste a second on acting royalty. I will say that our guest today, UH is pretty much maybe the reason I sort of kind of talked to UH bottles of syrup every uh pancakes Saturday? Wait in Black Households is set? Is pancakes on a Saturday? Like an event? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, any day of regular.
Speaker 1: No for Black Households like that was a treat.
Speaker 7: That was a Saturday.
Speaker 1: I survived off of like tasty cakes, quarter waters for Saturdays. That's that's that's when we're rich. That's when the cat you know, check our cash. The first black roller skater avenue. Uh, the reason why I fell in love with any girl who wore braces in my in my school. Oh yeah, the only the only person whose character truly understands uh what uh dejection from a Jackson means, especially when one works works so hard to give them gifts that they made with their own money anyway, and the fact that most people don't know. Without this person, the the empire known as Friends would have never existed. Yes, Like did you know this? Yeah? Your your beloved Chandler, Joey, Monica and I guess and Rachel you know, I'm just saying Ad and Becky whoever else is on Friends, you miss Joey with Without with our guest today, none of that would have been possible. Uh yeah No, Seriously, Ladies and gentlemen, acting royalty or quest Love Supreme today, welcome incomparable Madam Kimberly Victoria Field. What's like supremes? Finally?
Speaker 6: What an intro? Finally? Man we've been trying to do.
Speaker 1: I know we've been doing five minutes intro.
Speaker 6: Wow, thank you for that intro.
Speaker 5: Get better little TV for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, no, seriously, we have so many questions that asking so little time. So, Kim, where were you born Harlem?
Speaker 6: Right here?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 6: And I'm Kim. I was born Kim Victoria, not Kimberly.
Speaker 1: Kim Victoria, Yes, just Kim is okay.
Speaker 6: Yes, we will request love you can call me.
Speaker 1: No, no, we were not to give the proper respect respect due. What were your memories of Harlem? How long did you live there?
Speaker 6: Six years really from zero to six?
Speaker 1: So what what what were your memories of Harlem growing up? Is it anything close to the centerfied?
Speaker 6: Well not the gingrified, right, No, but I mean like my building is still there, My park is still there, my beloved Saint Nicholas Park, the the whole grass lawn that we used to slid down in you know, cardboard boxes because who had or you get them old busted up tires and you'd slide down the cracks on the sidewalk in front of my grandmother's building, which was six fifty four Saint Nick. So you know, it's nothing but love the other dad one in front of my elementary school ps. Ninety two. Really yep, still looks the same.
Speaker 1: Any other notable peers of yours growing up in that.
Speaker 6: Area or I don't remember where they lived, But Danielle Spencer who played Deal on What's Happening, So basically my mom and a whole bunch of other amazingly talented actors would go to acting school in Saint Philip's Church. Alfan used to hold his classes there, the Alphan Theatrical Ensemble, And so basically all of like the dopest actors on the planet were in New York and in that environment in the early seventies, and so you know, some of them who had kids, they couldn't afford babysitters like us, And so we would be at the at the acting classes, imitating what we saw our parents doing to keep ourselves entertained. And so Danielle was there because her stepdad Tempell got rest to saw he was there. And and your mother was a part of this troop.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so we would be remiss. Are you tired of people coming up to you saying how much their mom is Your mom has traumatized them all their lives cackle right now, But I got I'm just saying I thought about it and the Okay, yes, of course, now that we're adults, we know what acting is. Yes, but let's take it back like thirty years or whatever. How many of your friends were traumatized at the side of your mom.
Speaker 4: For those that haven't seen good times, Oh god, yeah, yeah, I'm just kidding. Kim's mother played uh, Penny, well, Penny. But what was the character's name?
Speaker 6: I can't remember, Missus Gordon.
Speaker 4: Missus Gordon, Yes, her name was, Yeah, she was Plenty's mom. Penny of course was was Janet Jackson and the Penny was being abused by her mother.
Speaker 5: And what iron I said.
Speaker 4: Miss Missus chip Fields played the hell out of that, Yes she did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that hit.
Speaker 4: If I ever see in the street, you know, it's a hat, tip of the hat and you know, what do you need? What can I get for you?
Speaker 1: So you're just saying that watching your mother and these workshops prompted you to.
Speaker 6: Also not No, that was just the intro and and kind of the environment to just be exposed to it all. It wasn't until I actually saw her and saw the environment. Uh, when mom was doing Hello Dolly with Pearl Bailey on Broadway and on tour that I really started getting a sense of all that goes into this, you know, and the people who were a part of the craft and makeup and hair and wardrobe and sets and props and all of that. And then when you see it all come together as a little kid, you know, looking at it on stage, and that's that's really what what got me into it.
Speaker 1: So was it commercials first? That?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: What was your very first commercials first? First? So with technology not being as advanced as it was back then, where you just speaking to.
Speaker 6: A still bottle still? Okay, Yes, I was, you know, yeah, it was just just a bottle that was just there.
Speaker 1: Oh, another course left first. So I'll say that Baby I'm Back was technically the first sitcom I was allowed to watch. Okay, I wasn't allowed to watch TV much back then. Yeah, because you guys came on right after the Jacksons and in seventy six seventy seven the Jackson's.
Speaker 6: Had Yes, they did the specials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Arriety show. So you were I think your character was Angie, yes, uh, and Baby I'm Back with it was Damon Wilson's Damon. Yeah, I never that's how he pronounce his name, demon like he was a Shakespearean actor.
Speaker 5: He may have been.
Speaker 4: He was a preacher too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jamond Wilson and the great What's Your Brother? On the show? Okay, I don't know what became of him whatever, but yeah, my mom loved Denise Nichols. I guess everybody was.
Speaker 6: Everybody, yes, and everybody's uncle loved Oh. He was so happy when I got that job.
Speaker 5: Really, everyone until the heat of tonight, yeap.
Speaker 7: Up until I mean, well that's when the last time he really started to start seeing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm like, why are you starting? So that was your very first sitcom? Yes, so how easy was it for you to adjust to that environment?
Speaker 6: It was definitely a learning experience, you know. For example, I didn't know about continuity, and so we did a scene and I was supposed to come into the kitchen area from having been awakened, and so we did the take, you know, one time, and then I thought I was backstage and I thought, well, if I was asleep, my hair should be a little messy, so I must my hair and then it came out and they were like, cut who touched her hair. So that was the first time I learned about continuity. Yeah, absolutely, and things like, you know, don't look in the camera and don't laugh at your own jokes and don't laugh at other people's jokes and you know, stuff like that, and so it definitely was a lot of fun, you know, but it was it was on the job training because I had never done a series.
Speaker 1: Before, and by that point you moved to Los Angeles. Yeah, So what was that transition like because the seventies, I mean a lot of people don't even realize that for a lot of African Americans, like you know, we've only known the current environment that we're in right now for just fifty years. So I'll say for at least the first ten years, I'm sure that it was a learning curve for anyone in Hollywood in the seventies. Sure, kind of trekking uncharted territory that wasn't previously available to them any decades or time before. So what was it like coming Like, where were your memories of moving to LA Like.
Speaker 6: Well, I went to school back at PS ninety two. I went to school that morning, and when I came back to our apartment, the little few things that we had, including like my little easy bake oven and you know those like everything, my view Master. Everything was packed up. It wasn't a whole lot. And my mom said, we're moving to La tonight. I was like, without no, just because we hadn't done I just went to school like any other day.
Speaker 5: So why did y'all end up moving to La So.
Speaker 6: Mom had been there when she toured with Hello Dolly, and she just felt like that area had more opportunities work wise. Harlem in the early to mid seventies was a lot different than it is now, and so Mom just thought that that was going to be a better look for us, and so she she, you know, packed us up and we went out there. One of the other guy persons who was a part of the acting troupe that Alfan had was Laurence Hilton Jacobs, and him and my mom were like brother and sister, and so when we came out to La he was like, you know, Chip, I got you and a guy Kimmi, and you know, whatever you guys need. And so what you're talking about right there, you know that there was really no blueprint and everybody just kind of, you know, that village holding it together and figuring it out. Yeah, exactly, exactly, Yeah, because he had gone out there and booked Welcome Back, caught her, and so he knew kind of the ropes. But it was still different for you know, a female and a female with a little kid. And so we moved and got an apartment eventually in West Hollywood, and then Mom started working. Then I started working.
Speaker 5: How does that work?
Speaker 7: That's what I was wondering, because I'm like, you guys are both working actors. Of course her more than you, right, right, But how does she do that? How is she mom an agent manager in her own career? Right?
Speaker 6: Well, she was never. No, she was she was mom And it stopped right there. And one thing I always to this day, I'm marvel at like like Mom had me when she was eighteen and and and you know it's like she's such a good parent, but she knew nothing about parenting. She was a kid herself, and you know, just just how did that? How did she know the stuff to teach me and to pour into me and to know things like, hey, she is not my competition, She's my child, especially when we are you know, both at you know, at some point we both began working my Aunt Pat, my mother's sister, was an integral part of all of this. Mom asked her to come out and to move to LA And so my aunt Pat was actually the one who was on my on set with me all the time I was working up til I was eighteen. She would travel with me to all my appearances and everything.
Speaker 1: Wow. Man, so it's I guess you can say that, Well, that's weird because I always thought she was your manager. So but that's that's good that she had the insight at least to to put some distance, no distance, because most parents don't do that, like they either live their dreams through their kids or yeah.
Speaker 6: And she and she was not that, you know. And she also she never stopped parenting me even though she was finding her way as a parent. You know, one time I had said it was like maybe the second or third season of Living Single, Facts of Life. And she had raised me to be a really good kid, like don't talk back, be very disrespectful. You know. I had home training and she said to me one day, can me clean up your room? And I promise, y'all, I promise, y'all. I was not trying to be smart. It was a genuine question when I said, isn't that what we have a housekeeper? And I really was love and then sure enough, before I could finish, I got popped in my mouth.
Speaker 5: That's my next question. I wanted to know if you was a baby.
Speaker 6: Okay, that wasn't a whooping baby, because I was a good kid, but she caught me in my mouth.
Speaker 4: In your book, you're talking about a situation when you were on set and you had to talk back to a parent and you weren't really sure how to do that.
Speaker 6: Exactly. I had to talk back to missus Garrett and Jermaine Jackson episode and my mom was like, no, no, it's okay, you can do.
Speaker 5: This now here.
Speaker 6: This is fine.
Speaker 5: But she knew.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, I wasn't talking back, but it was just that sense of we're not You're not going to be that child, you know, And then she called Then the top it off girl, she called the studio and talked to one of the producers and said, I'm sorry, but Kim won't be returning as as two D any longer. She doesn't know how to deal with this. And yeah, when.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it, I love it, I love it.
Speaker 6: That's something Yeah, absolutely, and of course him, being a parent, was right there with her and said, okay, Chip, no problem, we understand. Tell her thank you so much for her time and everything. And of course they were dealing with being They were parenting me to make sure that I didn't start tripping at age you know, eleven or twelve or whatever it was. And I was like, oh my bad, I didn't know. No problem, I got it, my socks, got it, my toys, put these away, you know, and that sort of.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I always wondered, like, what's the what's the power dynamic where you're an established person at your job but you still got to come home and take the garbage out?
Speaker 5: That's right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well it keeps you grounded. I mean, think about when the Obamas won and Michelle was like, but you're still taking the babies to school in the I know, you just became, but you take your babies to school. I mean there's certain things that you know conceptually, no matter if it's fame or or or whatever it is being connected to, some form of groundedness has to be in play. Otherwise you turned.
Speaker 1: Up from chrisis when Randy Jackson was on the show.
Speaker 6: Which one he not dog got it okay.
Speaker 1: No, and he was saying that they had just did four sold out out nights at the Forum and got home back to Xino and you know, like, there it's your turn that you didn't take the garbage out and he's like, I just played sold out con to that, and then Joe's like what you say? Okay?
Speaker 6: So right?
Speaker 1: What was what was the.
Speaker 6: By the way, I mean, Randy Jackson was my that was everything. He was everything to me. That was my crush. Yes, oh my god. Listen when they let him sing on can you feel it?
Speaker 4: Right there?
Speaker 6: I was the only one in the Forum screen.
Speaker 1: As a working actor? What was the Hollywood shuffle process?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: I love when you asked that question that way.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 1: No, no, dude, it's like, yeah, like what was the process like, now, of course you were lucky enough to land key memorable roles in your career, but or in the average could you talk about the audition process? And oh yeah, like even as an established act, like did you.
Speaker 6: Still have to absolutely you still have to audition? And it was there was a big part of it that was on almost like family Reunion because you go in Hey t Show, Hey Jada, Hey Vivoica you know, and it's like kind of the yeah, you know, because at that time it was, you know, just a handful of roles and we were all going out for them, you know, and some of them you knew, up, yep, this one's got deh, yet this is gonna be yours and you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, what was it like in your younger years, Like were you still worn after commercials?
Speaker 6: And sure, I'd still audition, but not as much. Number one, when you're on a series, and see, you have to remember, in that day and age of television so to speak, a season was twenty four episodes, so you were busy for a much longer period of time than you know nowadays, where it's like, oh there's six episodes, there's eight episodes. So you know, then you were doing TV movies, so I would do like the ones I did with Gary Coleman and that sort of thing. And at that point I didn't have to audition, you know, Children of Divorce or the ones with Gary Coleman. I didn't have to audition for those.
Speaker 1: Was there, ever, did you feel like a feeling of security, like, Okay, we got through this year. Was there always like a midpoint season where are you checking the Nielsen ratings every twelve seconds?
Speaker 6: Too young? I was, I was too young.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 6: I was really just into again, make sure I had good grades, make sure I was professional, make sure I was a good kid. And so my priorities were not about that part of the industry because I just I was too young to really focus on that and the things that I did that were important to me, aside from the kids stuff. I really enjoyed being around the crew and learning from them. You know, it's like it's like a kid being around musicians and they love music. You're just going to keep gravitating tourism every chance you get. And so that was really, you know, my lane right there.
Speaker 1: Here's a fact a lot of question I had. I remember when it first came on the air, there was a larger ensemble cast and then it was just whittled down to the four of you. What was what was the thought process or like what made that transition happen because at one point, like Molly Ringwold was part of the.
Speaker 5: The Cat bigger housemember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way bigger, but I never I mean now, it's like when you watch television, you got to watch every episode and binge watch every second of it, whereas back then it's just like, oh, it's on its horn. But I never understood what was what was the decision factor behind turning a seven castle to pay?
Speaker 6: Nothing was quite that. But basically, we had a half hour show, and it's a lot of characters to service in a half hour. And so after we did that first season, they the network execs, evaluated it and felt that there were just too many people to try to focus on in twenty two minutes. And so then it became okay, well, what if we changed some of the diet, the dynamics, you know, changing the amount of people that are there. You mentioned it being a bigger house, So the that main set was more like the common area, the commons or something like that, and so then they shifted it to something that, you know, they had more They felt they had more storyline ideas. So the idea of the peace fill the yes yes, and so the idea of like the cafeteria where you could still have the all the kids coming and going, but it still was more interesting than just having the common area and us living above it. So that was that was the idea. Now that was one of the few times I remembered thinking, I'm gonna probably get cut too, because I'm the black kid, and black people always get cut first. That was like one of the first times I've had a well, that was a horror movie to me, that people's.
Speaker 1: Getting you guys knew that the pendulum non pendulum, that the guillotine button was about the depressed and somebody was leaving.
Speaker 6: Not quite like that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: When we heard that there was a pick up, and everybody was, you know, ecstatic, and then they said, yes, the show has been picked up, but there's been some changes that have been made. These girls are not coming back to the show. You're gonna come back, This one's coming back on the phone. On the phone. Yeah, so you're.
Speaker 1: Waiting for a phone call and you didn't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the facts of life for real.
Speaker 5: You always knew you was the lone black girl in the room.
Speaker 6: No, not like that. That was one of the few times. That's why I said, it was one of the few times where I really registered the idea of being the black girl, being the black person. And that was very early on. But but for the most part, one I wasn't taught to look through, you know, the lens with color I everybody was just people, not fire, just not invited exactly been there.
Speaker 1: But in retrospect, yes, in retrospect though, or in hindsight you being a first living a life of being a first or whatever. What was the environment like on the set?
Speaker 6: It was great? Really, it really was great. Everybody was It was a level playing field, truly, truly, like even as the youngest, I didn't feel like the baby, you know, like Tuty felt that more than Kim did. Does that make sense? Yeah, oh good, because I didn't have nothing else.
Speaker 1: What was the average working like.
Speaker 6: Well, as a minor, you can only work, you know, a certain number of hours a day, and then you also have to go to school. So we would go to school in the morning. And by the second season, when Nancy arrived, Nancy and I were in studio school together. Mindy, her family wanted her to stay in her school environment, and so she would come to work after Lisa was already what do you call it, she had taken the proficiency test or whatever, so she wasn't in school anymore even though she was sixteen. Uh. And that's also really a huge contributing factor to why Nancy and I are so close and were so close, even though to DM Joe were not Nancy and I are. I'm oh, my gosh.
Speaker 7: I just thought it was in my mind, has always been because that's because that show was.
Speaker 6: But I spent actually more time, far more time than any with anyone than with Nancy, because you're in studio school and so you start roughly about two hours before everybody even comes to work us school.
Speaker 1: I always wanted to know what, Yeah.
Speaker 6: So you're in, you know, like one of the rooms in the production office. When we filmed for three seasons at Universal Studios, we were in a row of trailers. Uh so there was facts of life, different strokes, one day at a time, silver spoons. We were all in this, not together, but we were just in a row of trailers that you know, were separated by a door. But we were all right there.
Speaker 4: I would have had so much fun.
Speaker 6: It was great.
Speaker 1: Show.
Speaker 6: Each show has a different teacher, uh and so, and depending on you know, if the grade levels of the kids, if there are multiple kids on a show, you might have different tutors to cover different ages. But Nance and I had the same tutor, Margaret god Reshearsal. Margaret was our tutor for the whole time. Uh, and so you know, you you go and you you you have two hours of school. Then when everybody comes to work, you literally man are ping pong back and forth between school and and rehearsal until you've done enough hours in the day because you have to be in school for three hours a day and then you can be in this rehearsal hall or filming full time. Now what they end up doing is like if you're on a hiatus week. Those are tough because there's no outlet. You're there and you go to school and then you have to what you call bank time, so you might be there for like five hours doing school because when you're in production on your filming day, you might only get twenty minutes of school and which is the minimum that you have to be there, and then they pull from your hours in the bank so that you still have your time.
Speaker 1: Someone is there literally clocking like a union person like baby.
Speaker 6: We used to have booth time and Margaret time. And Margaret if it was booth time, was like in the control room where the producers would go, Okay, we're gonna lose Kim in five minutes. We have to get this scene done or you know that sort of thing, and Margaret time was, y'all have to finish now. I don't know that that that that clock's not right. My clock says it's nine o'clock now, and so you've got to pull the plug.
Speaker 1: Are they still doing that system today or is that.
Speaker 6: Back then to a certain extent, you know, because the labor laws they got such a bad rap from, you know, earlier generation, so they tried to be better at it. But when our son Quincy was in the Pride and Prejudice movie for a Lifetime this past summer, he filmed it at the end of last year and I was set mom, and I was in the trailer and you know, there was his tutor and all those things, and I actually took video and showed it to Nancy. I was like, oh, my god, your nephew's at studio school right now.
Speaker 1: Are they all? Are? They?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I was asking because during like I just never understood and always sort of frowned. And first of all, yes, I commit that. You know, I'm very bad at punctuality and time and all that stuff. I'm working all myself, boss, Bill, you know this. So when working on Hamilton, I didn't realize that they are also very antal retentive with time. So like they there was always a on set person with a stopwatch and say if like George Washington had to re sing a part over again, it's like, okay, well we have six minutes and thirty seconds, guys, until up now it's five minutes and fifty seconds. And I'm just like, look, this is working on cast album. Yeah, because they're also anal and you know there's like actual people whose jobs it is just to look at the stopwatch absolutely and enforce rules of which as a black person.
Speaker 6: I'm like, but the unions are to your point, really, you know they're there to really protect the artists, is what you know, the idea of the union is, and so being able to protect, making sure that that you know, you're not overworked and all of those things. So they are sticklers.
Speaker 1: So does that leave you enough time to actually study your lines and or you guys just given sides and you recap them for two seconds and right.
Speaker 6: So when you're doing a movie, then you know you shoot bits of it every day, but on a multi camera comedy like that, then you you film just kind of once or twice a week, so you have the script and you rehearse the whole thing over and over and over.
Speaker 1: Okay, so as a teenager, let's let's push on in the years. No, I'm trying to cover every every aspect of your career. Was there a general fear of Hollywood trappings that have sort of sort of grabbed everyone? You seem to, at least in my eyes. You got out of it unscathed and you know, without a scratch or I don't know, but like, how hard was that to avoid in such a decadent time period social media?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Right, yeah, it was. It was. There was a part of it that was really easy because I was scared, meaning I was I was that kid that was like, I don't even want to try weed because I'd be that one person that they find out, oh my god, it can't kill you if you puff. Once we didn't know, and now God rest her soul, you know. So I was like, so, you know, it's like, I'm not going to try that, and certainly not anything stronger than that. But but basically I just felt like I didn't want to be a has been At eighteen, I clearly remember having that thought, you know, as you get fifteen and sixteen and you you know, you're just becoming a young adult. And I remember thinking, I'm not going to be a has been at eighteen, and I'm not gonna let my village suffer because I'm a statistic. My village has put way too much in me for me to go out like that. That's that's not an option. So that's how I avoided. Now. I'm not unscratched, not not at all. It's just I didn't have some of those monumental tragic incidents, you know, that sort of thing. But I certainly had struggles and challenges. That's why I start my book with the piece from Langston Hughes. Well time, I'll tell you life for me been no Crystal stare because people think they look at me and they go, oh, she ain't been through nothing.
Speaker 5: You was the first. How could you not go through something.
Speaker 6: Exactly?
Speaker 5: The whole woman, the woman.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 5: She been my friends, she just didn't know.
Speaker 1: How well, not how important, but how hard was it to shake the T word?
Speaker 6: I love you for that man?
Speaker 1: Once once the series ended, what eighty six.
Speaker 6: Eight nine, eighty eight, eighty eight, seventy nine to eighty eight, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, first everybody remembers the first show they ever recorded when they got a VCR. So I got my box over writing in time for the Eldbarge episode. Well, we talked about this when it was on our show, that's right, yeah, yeah, so it was first. Like back when you in the eighties, when you got a VCR, you recorded any and everything because, like you know, you didn't want to miss anything.
Speaker 4: So we used to have like the mountains of EHS tapes, like this is a Saturday lineup, pile, this isday lineup.
Speaker 6: Wait, funny, Maxwell just sent me a text of a PI make sure of like just piled like like piles of VHS and and cassette and he's like, I got mine. You know you got shorts. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: If you think about it, we are like as a species, we're the most documenting, never going back to watch people like the amount. Oh wait, that's for Maxwell. Yeah, wait with a floppy disc?
Speaker 4: You have stuff In comments.
Speaker 1: Kim just showed us her phone and Maxwell's center photo of a bunch of VHS, a cassette and a floppy disc, which reminds me of that to this day. To this day, uh d'angela still creates his music on his A s R ten and needs floppy discs bs.
Speaker 5: Uh he just said again.
Speaker 1: But my point being that, Uh, when when the series was over, how hard was it to to shake the character as far as figuring out what you're going to do next?
Speaker 6: Well, thankfully the character had grown up. So you know, I wasn't like a Shirley Temple type of of of of child start trapped in you know, being a child. So so and I had gone to college, and you know, I'd gotten my degree, so I stayed busy number one, So my mind wasn't idol and I wasn't just kind of trapped my own self.
Speaker 1: What did you major in it, Pepperdine?
Speaker 6: I double majored in broadcast journalism and TV and film production and a minor in religion.
Speaker 1: Wow, what whoa why did you use?
Speaker 6: I wanted to go to San Diego State, but I couldn't go out of state for school or out of out of town for school because the facts life was still. Did you wear that from me?
Speaker 5: Oh you got on your head.
Speaker 6: It's just facts.
Speaker 1: Oh crash. Not even shout out to Dan Ricky h Now, I did this weird thing when I meditated in the morning and it was like the first word I saw, so wow, okay, I did facts. And then when I like, I grabbed a whole bunch of letters and whatever comes out in my hand, I was just like, I'll use that.
Speaker 5: I swear to God, that's next level of meditation.
Speaker 1: Then again, like I didn't know crown.
Speaker 6: Or what, but look how connected we are that I permeated your meditation time see and and you and and you had me on your mind.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I don't think you ever left.
Speaker 1: I don't even read the calendar in the morning. I was like, oh, wait, I'm going to work right. Oh, oh, Kim, I'm playing.
Speaker 5: Although he's been asking me almost once a week, so when's is cam? Did you get cam?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think because it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sadly true. How do you decide which crown to wear each day?
Speaker 5: Different ones?
Speaker 1: Steve, Steve, Steve Anyway, No, I totally forgot I was wearing a crown in my head.
Speaker 6: I interrupted you. What were you saying no?
Speaker 1: No about Pepperdine.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 6: So I wanted to go out of state and I couldn't go out of state, And then I couldn't even go out of town because Fact's life was still filming when I started college, because I took seventh and eighth grade together, so I got out of high school a year early. So I was still done Facts Life when I started college. And so we had done the Australian movie and then I started school.
Speaker 1: Well, this was fun. I remember the Paris one. I was on punishment for the other one.
Speaker 6: Man, weren't we older? How was you on punishment?
Speaker 1: Then we don't want to Paris. I remember being in trouble that Paris was like, wait, eighty Irish tried right. I was two of those special Facts of Life trips was on punishment.
Speaker 6: For so okay, the other one I was. I was seventeen eighteens. I don't even want to know.
Speaker 1: Why you was. No, no, no, my bad. Y'all went to Hawaii.
Speaker 5: Everybody went to Hawaiian.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hawaii went to Hawaii and you saw they took their hairdressers.
Speaker 8: Because here's here's here's something weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, so don't say we won't get we will in a second, Okay, Okay, so APOLOONI and I have a really good mutual friend in Chef Gordon, who lives in Mali. And one of Apple's favorite thing is to uh what do when you go I don't say thrifting when you go to the thrift stories to antique, right, And somehow and and somehow, Appollonia wound up with Roxy Wrokers polaroid, uh scrap book of when the Jeffersons went to wh No, she just like always had it and that's how I introduced her to to Lenny and Zoey to get the book back.
Speaker 5: So she's had it for Miss Roxy's hair was straight and white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so those on those special episodes, you guys were allowed special amenities for your.
Speaker 6: Well facts of life.
Speaker 5: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: And that's why when that wind blew to these bangs looked like all to be damned and my mother was like, oh never again. That's the one time she was kind of managers and was like, my baby will not be looking like that if you guys go anywhere else.
Speaker 5: Did they have a hairdresser for you?
Speaker 6: Yes, like joe Anne Stafford. Baby, that's who created the sig zag part. That's right, Heat of the night, Right, did you want that?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 5: How do you know that?
Speaker 4: Read the book? And then I did google afterwards.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't just say because you pioneered for me like the the even though people now are sort of crediting like salt and pepper for the mushroom is Oh yeah, no, she had no like I felt like you were the pioneering what's that.
Speaker 6: Called the page boy the page boy circle.
Speaker 5: I thought that halle Berry cut was a page boy, right.
Speaker 1: Single, I'm talking about her facts of life, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: The mush mushroom, right, yes, And I mean I had bangs that big barrel on the curl curlin iron. So yeah, but the zig zag part picked all of my styles, was joining, but they didn't take joy in the Paris and old Kim.
Speaker 1: Say, it's good to know that. See when we go in on location and I'm after big and fleet like you afro, don't come let me. It's just as much of the character on the show as I am.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 6: And then when we went to Australia, Kim was laid though Kim Kim had her hair tight.
Speaker 1: On that one.
Speaker 6: But I took my hairstylist.
Speaker 5: Was that a really?
Speaker 7: Was you a relaxer or was that a blowout? I'm sorry, I just always had that question. Press yes, okay, it took a while. Does she ever, did you ever get your hair chemical up?
Speaker 6: I don't think so, I don't think my mom. I have to ask my mom.
Speaker 5: That was good to watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that wooden spoon on my ear, that's what I really remember. And the blue grease, No, because it's thank And now back to.
Speaker 1: Believe we are we are the rabbit Hole Kings on the show good So, as I was mentioned earlier, and you know, and I know that people seem to think, uh, I'm talking out the side of my neck, but not many people know that the reasons that Friends exist is because the creators of Friends, my great pals at NBC where I currently work to this day, what my job and benefits. It's okay, No, well, you know, I thought it was Brendan Tartakoff's last move. He had a chance to have uh living single or an NBC. But they were like, well, we have enough black shows already. We already have Labelle's Up all Night, and we have the Fresh Prince of bel Air, and we have L's in the house, so maybe three is enough, you know, and we still have Cosby in a different world. So that's that's a lot of blackness. So we'll pass on this one, and he was like, I don't know something about this show and the chemistry they have, and I guess the decision was, well, let's create the white version of living single, and thus that's how Friends came to be.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 1: I did not know that, which it is is no, No, I'm asked Brandon if she said no?
Speaker 5: He said it. He admitted it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, even jump in the grave and get him.
Speaker 1: I don't know that, you know, Joe when Emmys and Taro.
Speaker 4: I knew Joanne won the Emmy because I read the book and then I did googlefter tartakov I actually remember when he died. Yeah, I actually remember when he died. I was like probably like eleven or twelve, but I remember that shout out damn.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well that's uh, that's what I'm surprised to have Tartakoff connected to Friends.
Speaker 1: Well, even whoever whoever was the president of NBC in ninety two ninety three admitted it on like one of those like panel things. Yes, I'm getting and thus the reason why jay Z made the Moonlight video with all the Black Friends characters.
Speaker 5: I didn't know is that. Okay, I didn't know. I didn't say that. I just didn't know that he was up on his pop culture trivia like.
Speaker 1: That it's quasi common knowledge. But uh, were you aware of those facts at all?
Speaker 6: Not those particular facts from other facts.
Speaker 5: What what I know, uh is that.
Speaker 6: Uh Yvett created this this this brilliant show and Evett had a deal with Fox to develop a show with Dana and Kim Coles Lativa and Kim Coles. I don't know what the preamble was prior to that. What was difficult, you know, and a bit of a challenge to work through sometimes was that both friends of Limit single was Warner Brothers, and so, you know, oftentimes real talk, we we kind of felt like that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Bill, looking up, I want you to you right, I'm partly insulting as I'm listening to you, like, yeah, continue, I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 6: So sometimes we kind of felt like the redheaded stepchild right right now, from from the standpoint of we were you know, quote unquote first and you know, if you're able to inspire people to create great content, great, what do they say? You know something is the highest form of flattery, imitation, That's it. He came with that quick to google that, but being able to you know, when my kids wake up from nightmares, the first thing I say is what's your truth? Speak your truth, know your truth, and we know our truth bottom line, So we don't have to have anybody validated and do memes about it and start a hashtag campaign and used.
Speaker 5: To because we're just starting shitting people copying.
Speaker 6: Well, there's that, there's that part, But at the end of the day, that's the part that was the most frustrating, you know, to be a part of the same production, the same studio essentially, uh and to be treated so grossly different in terms of pay, in terms of you know, there's there's a this is a true story. One day we came to work in the set. The sound stage was freezing, and even things like, you know what the big Warner Brothers is the main Warner Brothers lot, and then they have the ranch. Who do you think filmed at the main lot? And who do you think filmed at the ranch?
Speaker 1: The ranch was the better option and not the better option?
Speaker 6: No, the ranch was you know kind of that that out the way. The ranch is not the big studio, that's right, that's right. So we came in there and the sound stage was freezing and they said that they weren't going to turn the lights on, and so we had to rehearse in these big, big puffer coats and stuff because they were saying that they didn't want to spend the money to turn the lights on and or heat. And that's when we actually that that was the one and only time that we collectively said we're not coming to work. We're not going to do that because at this point, this is a safety hazard. Meanwhile, meanwhile the other folks walk off to get a million per episodes and it's like they want money, we want heat. If that don't sound like an episode a good time.
Speaker 7: So it was a whole black woman in that moment, you know what I'm saying, Not even then the seventy six, you know, and so so, so you.
Speaker 6: Have those moments where it's like, never mind all the other stuff that goes around the comparisons, those are the moments where it's like that.
Speaker 7: Can you ask them, I just real quick, I just want to know since you knew this, right, My question is because usually on the opposite side, the other people have no idea.
Speaker 5: What the other folks are going through. So was it the same way?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I never met that ran into that. They probably we weren't. We weren't at the lotch so we didn't. We didn't run into them in the comments.
Speaker 5: So somebody told them, you know, your show is based off the show called Living Single. They'd be like, what the you know?
Speaker 1: A well, okay, I know that there there have been a few times on these episodes that you directed, Yes, and often, like when I watched shitcoms, like a key character will go away for a vacation, right, this week she went on a convention and direct, right, how one? How is that? How is that negotiated? And how hard is it to direct? And or really the real question is how welcome characters have to leave to go on vacation to direct their own things? Like why can't you also be there at the time?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: You know what's funny is I remember when Anton Williams and Ron Howard and those guys started directing like Happy Days, and you'd see, like you just said, you know, Podgy's going off to the right because he was directing Regime didn't go anywhere Regime. But the first time I directed an episode of eleven Single, I was the BT story.
Speaker 5: And I was like, wait a minute, what happened to the rules?
Speaker 6: What I'm I'm directing and I'm the best story wait, And really they try to do that because it's a lot to direct an episode, and then you've got to put yourself in it, you know, and then you've got to have your stand in to be you. And then when you're in it, then you have to make sure that the assistant director or stage manager is watching. So it's just it's a lot instead of just being in one scene and then you go away and then you can really focus on that, you know. And for the type of sitcom that we were doing, this was when they would have a control room and so you'd actually leave the sound stage go to another part of the building to you know, where we're basically master control was where you're talking to the cameras and all just everybody and all the monitors are there and you're switching shots and things like that.
Speaker 1: She's determined that as well. Yeah, so it's a big giant division of.
Speaker 5: Absolutely which makes Tyler Perry look even more genius than his way. I guess, yes, no, I know, but he does. Yes, you can't take it away.
Speaker 1: You don't have to defend it. I agree with you. Oh sorry, Tyler, you know he's making power moves. Yes, Steve clear in my throat. In the hindsight, what lessons or valuable lessons have you learned in your career that you wish you knew then at that at that particular time period or you're fine with your outcome and yeah, I feel like everything happens for a reason. Yeah, and so even now, like I'll see someone that has done better than me in my career or whatever, and like maybe at that moment, I'll be like, oh man, I wish I wrote that song or something like that. But then I feel like I'm on the path I'm supposed.
Speaker 6: To be on exactly.
Speaker 1: But if there's something like, Okay, I wish I knew about, Like, Okay, there's some real like it's about to I'm not. I've known you for all my life, all right. I really wish i'd gotten early in the game on like stocks and investments, way earlier in my career. I'm on it now.
Speaker 5: We all do a mirror shoot.
Speaker 1: But you know, had I known then when I know now, yeah, you know, I wouldn't left at askton Coat. You were like, what's it? I mean, get out of here? Like that sort of thing, but like, what things do you wh she I.
Speaker 6: Wish I hadn't worn braces so long because fucking over bites are sexy. Now what the hell like Live Live Tyler? I mean, you know, just like, isn't that like a thing?
Speaker 5: But not her daddy, He's got one, but I didn't bring him up right.
Speaker 7: We talked about physical things. Can I ask you a question that I read? And I'm so curious just as a woman, a bountiful, plentiful woman.
Speaker 5: Yes, why do you? Why did you have to get two reductions?
Speaker 7: And I know one of them was covered on the Living single, but yes, I'm scared for myself.
Speaker 6: Uh well, the first one was just physically. I was five ft tall and and so just I'm still in but my I had a lot of back issues with that. Then yes, look at the pictures of us together, look how like I mean like because she's and I always wear heels when I'm on the show.
Speaker 5: Speak exactly, Prince, You're big on It's just something big about you.
Speaker 1: I'm a guy, I'm dumb.
Speaker 6: But the second one was for aesthetics. I just felt like I'm just you know, being on camera so much and I just wasn't wasn't wasn't pleased. But you know, but I mean, the the procedures have come such a long way. Don't be scared. If that's what you want to do, go for No. Well yeah, but then what do you want to do it? Then don't do it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's funny because guys go but why would you do that? But we all know sometimes you just want to wear one sports bra, or sometimes you just want to run, or sometimes you just want to stand.
Speaker 5: Straight and you know, have your shoulders down. It's hard.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I was answering the questions because you know, because.
Speaker 1: Yes, you were. Wait, it just hit me. You on your Instagram. You put up a photo that kind of blew up, blew my mind, and it's you at west Lake Studios. Yes, casually, uh, visiting Michael Jackson while recording Thriller during the p y T background vocal sessions. Yes, was that just like just like a regular Tuesday, just about Hey, what are you guys doing? That's nice?
Speaker 6: So Janet, it was one of the times when she was on different strokes and this was yeah, and she had asked Mindy and I because again different strokes facts Life. We all filmed in the same right there, in the same areas, and so she asked us if we wanted to hang out and go to the studio because Michael was recording. Sure, So we show up and he was recording, like you said, the backgrounds for p y T. And James was there and mister Jones was there and uh m hmmm, uh what LaToya was the toy Janet Bunny Bunny Home.
Speaker 1: Stephanie is Frill Sprill.
Speaker 6: Yes, So they were all there and they were like, hey, you know, we're at this part where we're doing the column response and the p y T saying no, no, no, want you guys all get in there. Okay, So we all go in the studio and we do this yes and we do the no no nos and mister Jones is the but I hear an anchovy. I never forget that he's a anchovy. And so we all was there was like everybody, come on out, just come on out. And then it became like you know, being picked for the sport at school. Okay, you you you and you go back in.
Speaker 5: Outside looking in.
Speaker 1: We'll take the girl. You guys take them mirror. Yeah, manager man, that's funny.
Speaker 6: I was team manager of our baseball team at Burbank High. Really, yeah, but I'm sure it's not funny because of what you were Just.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I'm still here. Funny, I'm still here. Yeah, you know, I'm sure Grant Woods could see me. Now you regret, you regret all them out. I was a good first baseman. I know the sports, right, Steve, I.
Speaker 4: Understand we're calling out childhood bullies, all right, Shane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, An.
Speaker 6: I started that.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry she was little, Dan me.
Speaker 1: Any other casual flexes like that, No, yeah, we shall all be scared of anyone smaller than us, bigger dudes. I'm like whatever, but small people they have something to prove. Any other casual flexes that you've had in your life so far? Now, Red like, oh yeah, here's printing his cadillagers.
Speaker 6: You know when Johnny Gill and I met, it was in the Glendale Galleria and we've been friends ever since. And I just did a promotional thing for my Christmas movie there and they were like, you grew up in this area, do any special memories? And I'm like, you know what, I met Johnny Gill here and they were like, oh my god. And then he and I text each other and joked about it.
Speaker 1: John is everywhere. Yes he's uncle Johnny.
Speaker 5: Oh so this are and this time you are directing and starring at the yea, this.
Speaker 6: One I didn't direct.
Speaker 5: I epeed it.
Speaker 1: But yes, so what has this whole experience been like doing the Christmas movie? And oh my goodness, and how did you orchestrate this well with this one?
Speaker 6: You light up my Christmas a lifetime And I've been in development for a couple of projects for a while now. And then they said, we really want you on the air this year, just bottom line, and that that really meant a lot to me to have a network executive say that, after this many decades, you know, in the top it off and we want you to be the leading lady. You're the start and you know, you're not the friend, you're not the boss, you're not the sister. And so that just really just did something for me. Of course it would. And so they said, we have a script. We have this writer that we really like. She's got the script. If you like it, let's put you in pre production and go. And so I read it and I loved it. We made some tweaks to it, and they said, great, go up to Vancouver. Here you go, and we had this amazing six weeks up there, fifteen days in production and we have this beautiful, amazing movie called You Light Up My Christmas.
Speaker 1: Wait, fifteen days in production, but six weeks to edit shoot or Yeah.
Speaker 6: So there was pre production, you know, where you are casting and location shooting and wardrobe and designing the characters and all that. And then they by the time they saw the dailies bits of you know, the things that we had been filming, they said, oh, we love this. We're moving your production. Your air date up two weeks, okay to December first. So the Sunday after Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: How was it being back with your cohorts?
Speaker 6: And it was fun. You know, it's not like we haven't been together since, you know, eighty eight. I mean we we certainly we're sisters and so we've seen each other over the years. Our children know each other, you know. Again, we're all you know there chat thread, Yes, there is, but the living single one is better.
Speaker 5: She's really been killing it. I just had to say that while you were here. Yeah, I mean that she's been doing a lot of dramatic roles.
Speaker 6: Alexander has been my hero for a long time. And then she's like, oh, Kim Fields, please be quiet. Let you call me a little Fields because she's you know, much taller than me.
Speaker 4: But by the way, girl, my mind is blown. The fact that there's a living single group chat right now.
Speaker 1: I know we actually thought about it all that group chat, I mean appropriate group chats, well you know ours.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm like, does big Les ever drop in? Because I mean for nothing, but she she's a part.
Speaker 5: She is, but no, okay, sorry, that's all right, that's all right.
Speaker 6: But it was great being an executive producer being able to say to them, hey, guys, because I called each one after I got the go ahead from from Lifetime, because I said to Lifetime, I'd really love to, you know, invite my sisters to be a part of this, because you know, the holidays about family and nostalgia and memories, and I think it'd be a really cool look. And we'd had we'd had two scenes in this ice skating rink, and I said, what if we, you know, kind of have them there is like this is their ice skating rink that they either own or manage and work there and we call the ice rink Charlotte for Charlotte Rent and so they were like, yes.
Speaker 4: Go please ask and so I called, we're talking about.
Speaker 6: Thank you and they said yes, and so we and then I said to them what kind of character would you like to play, you know, and here's our ideas for its story. You know, what, what do you think? And so it was really great to have them collaborate about their special appearances and things like that. And like Lisa's character in the movie, she's named after Nancy's daughter, Mindy wanted to name her character Rose for her grandmother. There's a food drive component in the movie because Nancy said, I think that compassion and kindness are just something that people miss nowadays. Is that something you can put in your script? It was like, yeah, sure, you know. And then we've got little fun inside jokes and things like Lisa mentions, you know, having a delivery from Edna's edibles, you know. So there's just a whole bunch of fun little touches there.
Speaker 1: In addition to Brilliant's going to be in trouble. I was waiting for that, you know what.
Speaker 6: We tried a couple and it was like, oh, that one's too on the show if it didn't feel organic, Yeah, exactly, but we did try.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, see, so what.
Speaker 4: What is before you go? You mentioned you asked I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I just want to get this let's get right. I just want to ask this question before I lose it. You said you asked everybody else what kind of character they wanted to play? What kind of character do you want to play?
Speaker 1: Well? Thank you?
Speaker 6: I played you mean in this movie.
Speaker 1: In any movie or in general? Well, yeah, what's actually that wasn't my question? Sorry, no bucket listing, Like, is there anything that you haven't done that you wish to do?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? The ironic thing about being in the industry for over forty years is that there's still a lot of characters that I have not played because I number one, I started when I was a kid, So you only, you know, for a certain period of time, you can only play kid characters. Uh, And then being on long running shows, I mean it's a blessing, but then you're those characters. So there's a lot of characters that I want to play. There's more genres that you know that that are being unearthed and created that I want to be a part of so, like the whole graphic novel world, I can't wait. There's something that we're working on and there, you know what, we love working together. And that's another thing with the whole reason why I asked my Fax Life sisters. I really have had a great track record working with a lot of great people and so being able to ask them, you know, to be a part of something that I'm doing, now, that's that's that's a great you know, feeling to be able to do it.
Speaker 4: Don't well, I just remember another story from your book. Yes, can you tell the story of when you were cast a storm in x Men?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: You mean you were?
Speaker 4: It's such a waful.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I don't read all the detail and stuff. I'll just gloss over it and be like, Okay, I got it. It's a horrible thing. It's horrible, I know, horrible, horrible. And so I got an audition that came and my manager says, have an audition for x men. Uh, And he sent me the information and I was so excited and they said its storm and I was like, oh my god, hell, he's not going to do this anymore. What the hell's wrong with her? But oh, well, one you know, one man's trash, another man's treasure. I mean, I went through all the you know, little colloquialism. So when I go into an audition, I really prep for it. And so I had my boots and I had my outfit. I mean, I was going in and then I went to read where the location was for the for the audition. Turned out it was for a voiceover for the animated series. Yeah, she wasn't going nowhere. Storm was not available, and if it was, they were not taking for your ass, king for you. But yes, I love creating characters. I absolutely do. And so even like tomorrow, I'm excited we're dropping on Mylifetime dot com as well as on their YouTube channel. We're dropping a short film called Designing Emma, and it's all about how we created the character for the Christmas movie, for hair, makeup, wardrobe, just everything designing Emma. Because that again, I go back to our earlier conversation. I love creating characters. That's what drew me into this when I saw other people doing that as a kid. So any character I've not yet played, I'm doing a new series at the top of the year, I can't I can't tell you what it is just yet. But it's really exciting. But in a way, it's still kind of uncharted territory. Even though it's a comedy. Even though it's you know, certain things that I've done, there's still a great deal of it I haven't done. If I haven't done it, you can believe I'm probably gonna say yes because I just I just love that, you know. And even with this character in this lifetime movie, being able to place one who is dealing with discovering, rediscovering, rekindling a romance, going after the issues of family legacy, uh, and dealing with your inner light, and you see everybody around you just kind of like numb is the new joy and it's like, no, that's not, no, we we have we have another level of life and lifestyle and and laughter enjoy to tap into. And so that's a lot of you know, what my character in this movie is, but really just anything I haven't done, I'm all in for.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, inspirational words from Kim Fields. Kim Victoria Fields.
Speaker 5: That's right, I see now, Kimberly, No.
Speaker 1: Kim Victoria Fields. Wait real quick, well there's two minor questions. Yes, now that Atlanta, which I assume is still your home base for now kind of.
Speaker 6: Because we still you know, have a place here. Harlem is home. Harlem is where you know in my heels.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, okay, Well, now that Atlanta has uped its game and be sort of the industry factor with this, with this giant studio system in its backyard, do you think that will change at all for opportunities and as far as work is concerned with actors and production.
Speaker 6: And well, a lot of cities have stepped up the game. I mean, just being in Vancouver for as long as we were there and just all the work that's there, I'm like, oh, I'll be right back. I'm gonna just go get my kids in my bed. Oh my gosh. I can't wait to do more stuff there and get a place there. I mean, it was, it was phenomenal. I loved it. And Tyler's had other studios there, so this is not his first go round with this, and Marvel has you know, set up there, and there's.
Speaker 1: A lot set up in Atlanta.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a lot of production. I think that's that's out there, okay, and smaller companies who do a lot of movies swirl films they do about I don't know, Jesus twenty movies a year or something, so a lot of production has been there. But you know, an actor's life, for the most part is really the gypsy life. You know, you go where the work is. There's so much work in Spain, there's work in Florida. I mean, it really is just if you're able to have the lifestyle to commit to it. And our kids are great because they're like, yeah, we got a tutor, We're good where we're going.
Speaker 1: All right, my last this is my last random question unless you have another one.
Speaker 4: I mean, is this question about dear Michael and he loves me? He loves me not at all.
Speaker 1: Sort of but go ahead, you can go go ahead. No you first.
Speaker 4: Question, well, I mean, okay, yeah, you put out these two singles and was it one single or two? I can't remember two? Well, I wasn't sure if it was two releases or right, and yeah, he loves me and he loves me not And dear Michael, can you explain how that all came about in nineteen eighty Yeah?
Speaker 6: Sure, It's so funny because just yesterday I was telling Adrian, my leading man in Uh you Light up my Christmas. Uh that the gentleman who wrote got to be there wrote Dear Michael.
Speaker 1: How David and.
Speaker 6: Yes, Elliot Wilensky, but Hal Davis also produced both of them and the stuff with me. Uh And so you know it's it's the eighties. It was a time where everybody if you were a teenager on TV, then you were making a record. I mean it's just that the seventies and eighties, just all the kids. Ralph Carter had one.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, you don't remember that, you lie, somebody swindled the cowboy guy. You don't remember that rat that Gary? I brought that twelve and I found it in Portland.
Speaker 4: I remember our Founds of Weberos breakdance record.
Speaker 1: Nah, Gary Coleman, did he spent the last of his money on this rap record? Well, he was like a wrapping cow.
Speaker 5: Sorry for that rat hole.
Speaker 6: I wanted you to not bring that up. And because we were talking about when we were kids, so everybody you know was doing that. And this was also when um Thriller was popping out, and so you know he was about to win all the awards and everything. So the people at Motown was like, oh, you know what we should redo dear Michael and get somebody to sing it, because remember Michael did it first, and it was as if he was reading a fan letter. So they had the brilliant idea of what if we have someone that it's actually them and their fan letter. And at that time I was just about the only black girl available around that was on TV whatever. They was like, you uh, and so they asked me to do it, and I did, and then that did so well beyond just kind of the gimmick of he's winning, you know, all these awards and this is you know, a big deal, and and I could carry a tune. So they said, well, let'st follow up single, and then that one blew up on the dance charts and then it was like wow, I was performing at the trump a cannon.
Speaker 4: So that what was there any any thought of doing more music or no, no.
Speaker 6: It was I was.
Speaker 1: I was good on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, until I did my my smooth jas spoken word, which is still want to just for me as an artist, truly one of the greatest things I've ever.
Speaker 4: Done, and impossible to find, by the way, it is, you know what will.
Speaker 6: I will just send you the tracks I can I can do that. Yes, yes, so.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, there is only one link.
Speaker 1: I want to seriously, this is what I'm obsessed with finding out. Do you have a copy of that Jermaine Jackson paper and shape bust.
Speaker 6: You are Jesus.
Speaker 4: No I do not.
Speaker 1: You didn't take it home, I said anything.
Speaker 6: No, Nor do I have any of regime's wigs. Next, did you keep.
Speaker 4: Anything from those sets, either either Living Single or Class No?
Speaker 1: None, okay, not even a sharene doll.
Speaker 4: No, you know what.
Speaker 6: No from Living Single?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Wow, I been master, Reggie. That is so funny.
Speaker 5: You are in baby.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: But when I did my when I did my final episode of Living Single, uh, the prop guys gave me the large mug and saucer that regime I would always. I love drinking hot cocoa and tea and stuff, and so any chance I could in a scene, I would. And so they gave me that. And it says yes, and it says we'll miss you very much, we love you. So I do have that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're properly given a send off.
Speaker 8: Yes, not.
Speaker 1: Just came in to work and saw the cake one day.
Speaker 6: I was like, yeah, no, no, that was planned. Yes, that's another episode of.
Speaker 1: Well miss Fields, I appreciate you coming here.
Speaker 7: Finally, finally, can I thank him? Can you pass this on to your mom, to your sister. Thank you guys for your time and your energy with us on these te because even people forget, but Alexis, we were watching.
Speaker 5: So I just want to thank you for that.
Speaker 6: I will share.
Speaker 5: It takes a lot.
Speaker 6: I will tell her, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you on behalf of the QL S fan Sugar Steve, that's name. Do you want to know Steve? Steve has been engineering hold on the Burger King.
Speaker 4: I'll tell the story. I have diabetes, that's all, and we have to and we have to rap.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 4: That's that's a longer story.
Speaker 1: He became my engineer and there gave him. Perhaps perhaps it wasn't as savory as it is right now. And after three months of work with each other, Steve has to start getting this sold. The shots. Look, there was the.
Speaker 8: Never seen I never seen the spit take.
Speaker 5: I don't want to laugh, I swear don't. But as you said, he's drinking sugar now.
Speaker 1: He was my engineer for doing like the Common records and the D'Angelo Voodoo records. And once he became my full time engineer. He sort of after my diet and we used to go to the best old food spots in Philly. And then three months and that did you get struggle?
Speaker 7: Yes, everything to take time to apologize to Michelle and everybody is getting built right.
Speaker 1: Now on behalf of Sugar Steve, Boss, Bill and Faith Bill uh fan take. I hope you're doing lit cigarettes, Brother and light Kim. Thank you so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me. This is fantastic, of course.
Speaker 1: Love signing off. We will see you next time on the next go round, of course, Love Supreme. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.