Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory. Foul Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic. Patrick. It was what two weeks ago that Peter Armstrong had an MVP moment during his sweep of the Dodgers. Two homer game. Just a great game with the Shoho Tani also matching him that night. Last night, Monday night opener of Cubs White Sox. Great atmosphere, great game. Pete Homer's on the first pitch of the bottom of the first inning and two runs shot to end the game. In the bottom of the tenth inning, he mixed in I believe a double and a single and a in there and just I mean an electric atmosphere, an electric game performance by Pete that goes down for the ages. It feels like that was that was a special special night at Wrigley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like that's going to be part of the highlight reel for Cross Towns for ever.
Speaker 3: I like the rest of time.
Speaker 2: As long as we have baseball on TV and the Cubs and Socks play each other, we love kind.
Speaker 3: Of rewinding the big moments, and that was certainly one of them.
Speaker 2: I think did Craig Council called Pete's best game, best all around game.
Speaker 1: As a problem, Yeah, something like that, It was. I mean, I think this might be a game in the big leagues right here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean that's saying something because you really can put all of these into one and you know, super long highlight reel, and I think it really just hits you of like how he has just elevated everything around him. He's elevated the crowds, the energies, the energy at Wrigley Pictures performed better when Pete's running around center field making difficult catches look routine. Obviously, the lineup, the entire complexion of it changed when he went to the leadoff spot and he made all these improvements that you know, we've written about, we've discussed on here. And as that game kind of slowly built towards the end, it just felt like Pete was going to be involved there, like you just he just.
Speaker 3: Has his knack for the moment.
Speaker 2: And I think you're right about the playoff atmosphere, like Sunday was a blowout loss, you know, kind of after something stretched, things sort of cleared out. So you know at Carson Kelly ninth inning, lots of empty green seats, and last night go in the tenth inning. You know, not every single seat was filled, but it definitely looked like nine capacity, you know, on a on a Monday night in the quote unquote Dog Days of August.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were a couple of empty seats because some people got kicked out after getting in fights.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to out by the Yeah, police department. Yeah, that was that was a bessy incident. And it was clearly visible to us in the press box to the point where I saw I could see it through my binoculars. And I'm sure many of you have seen it online already that that wasn't fun to watch. It got it got pretty bad, and usually that that but that's not unusual. There's usually fights during Cubs White Sox. This is an unfortunate byproduct. I do appreciate the passion in general, though, and there were a lot of chance, a lot of go whites like White Sox. Chance, a lot of Cubs booing to kind of drown out those White Sox fans. But this is like Pete is an insanely polarizing player, so posing fans are just gonna dislike him, like right off the bat. Obviously there was an incident at the Cell earlier this year with Pete and a fan, and then he puts on that type of performance. Both teams are doing really well. Just just a fun, fun night. We don't always get those types of nights, but it was nice to experience that, And honestly, it was one of those things where like, as it was happening, I don't think I fully appreciated how fun that evening was until that final pitch and I was like, it was a really fun back and forth, great moments the White Sox. I think I had like four or five hits all night, but two of them were just like the crushing blow variety, And obviously the Cubs ended up getting the biggest hit of the night, but some great performances at Pete is right up there at the very top. It's a it's we're we're witnessing a special season and we don't get this very often. And I think now we're starting to see the tide turn nationally where people are like, maybe Pete is the most Valuable Player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was in the clubhouse there after he wrapped up his media obligations, and it's like he's on Sports Center or whatever, and like he just keeps having these moments that add up and kind of steep into your consciousness. And we're going to get into this later, Like the Cubs have needed an MVP type performance because they have kind of a lot of issues going on and they're still somehow twenty games over five hundred. But you know, you heard it, you know, when Jacob Webb had that awesome performance in the tenth, top of the tenth, you could hear like, you know, the the PCA chance started like immediately, and I think, you know, people kind of sense this moment from Pete, they sort of expect it. I thought it was interesting how he was kind of chapped at his performance against the Cardinals over the weekend that you know, Craig Council alluded to it that it was, you know, kind of quiet by my Pete's standards and what accounts is say, like you can tell when Pete's not happy, like he's done a better job of containing his emotions, but you can you can kind of tell his moods fairly.
Speaker 3: Easily. He's kind of easy to read in that regard, and.
Speaker 2: No doubt, I mean he he's delivered. It's kind of mind boggling. I think you and I talk about we always have coverage plans and kind of like you know, thinking thinking ahead for the playoffs and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Like this guy is kind of one in one a with show hey right now.
Speaker 2: And I don't think anyone, even the most optimistic like believers in Pete, I don't think they would have seen this coming this fast. But his credit, he keeps working at it, and you can tell how much he cares like he is not satisfied at all. You know, it's a random weekend in August, and he's pissed when he doesn't come through.
Speaker 1: So starting from that second game of the of the road trip Kansas City and DC, he had four total hits through the Cardinals series. Two of them were home runs, you know. One I believe was like this rocket home run in Washington if I'm remembering correctly, But it just was it seemed like he wasn't at his best. Uh and and it was like, hmm, is this the beginning of a second half? You know, like like last season. Uh. I think he quickly put that to rest last night. We like I said, we're watching something pretty special here right now. Council, I think is trying to remind us of that whenever we ask questions about it, because he doesn't like just like have this flowery praise for everyone and anyone after a good game. He's I think everyone is kind of taken aback at how special this performance has has been thus far in the season.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and it's I mean, he's it's not like this team is lacking in talent or he's the only player, but he's he's the spark. He's I think the phrase you like to use is he's the straw that stirs the drink, the old Reggie Jackson I think phrase, he's definitely that for this team. Let's take a quick break and come back and talk about some things that aren't so great for this team that's actually playing pretty well. In twenty games over five hundred.
Speaker 4: Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to sea Geek. I used to call the director of team travel. I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on Sea Geek, I can pick my own seat, and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon. I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top. I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns into fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and Sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 4: You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Siki. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: All right, Patrick, we got the news. I believe it was Sunday that Dansby Swanson took one swing kind of immediately kind of threw his helmet down and walk towards the dugout. That was a left oblique strain. It turns out not it's not the best news possible, it's not the worst news possible. It's a I think Craig Council said our best guess. I think he is what he said or estimate, like he used the word guess and he said four weeks. If they don't always give a specific timeline, but they did for this four weeks. Four weeks would put him in the middle of September. That is, you know, I would say, like the season ends, I believe September twenty eight. So let's say it gives him like ten days if he comes back to play right away at that point. Look, Dansby Swanson is not like he's not Peek grow Armstrong in the lineup, but he's a league average bat. We all know where Dansby Swanson brings his value. It's with his glove. He's the backbone of this defense. He's the shortstop, most important position on the field for what some people are arguing is the best defense we've seen. So it is a blow. I don't think that, you know, I don't think we should gloss over that and what this loss is. And it needs to be four weeks because you want you want him to get some runway before the playoffs, and you need him out there. I don't think it's impossible for them to do well without him. I just don't. I don't think you want to roll on others and really test your depth. You just want to be one hundred percent healthy going into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: No mean Mike.
Speaker 2: Schield, the Padres manager at the time, said it like, I don't know if there's an MVP for this round of the playoffs, but if there was, it would be Dansby, And like, the defense is that important. And I think everyone saw Dansby's skills really play up in those low scoring environments, and I agree, I don't think they'll be like a huge drop off. But those double plays that him and Nico make just left and right all the time, they prevent so many beginnings that they help preserve pitchers.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 2: If not all of those plays are made with the same consistency, I think there will be, you know, a slight drop off at least. And so, yeah, they seem to avoid the worst case scenario, and go bleaks are tricky just from as reporters trying to cover it. That's kind of what we've been told over the years, and if he can get back within that month time frame, I think they'll be.
Speaker 3: Okay. I think you see why they didn't trade Pedro Amirez.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a good thing that Matt Shaw is still around. Alex Bregman's quietly been an excellent defender at third base. I feel like we focus so much on his hitting that sort of gets overlooked. But no doubt, Dansby is just one of those players. The more you watch him, the more you appreciate him. And I think cub Sans will probably appreciate him a little more when he's not out there.
Speaker 1: As good as this defense has been, you know, it's hard to say that they can stay at the same level without Dansby Swanson, but probably. I mean, I can't imagine there's many teams that are better suited to handle a loss like this. You move Nico Horner to shortstop. It's been a while since he played there, but when he did, he was, by some metrics, a top two, three five shortstop defensively in the game. Then you insert Piro Ramirez, who won a Minor league goal Glove at third base last year. He plays second. Those are his primary positions second and third, great defender, really smart ballplayer. And then you're you're entering a point where Matt Shaw should be going out on a rehab assignment on Wednesday. I think we'll find that out officially if it's definitely happening today at the ballpark, because.
Speaker 2: He played Monday night. Monday night, it looked like he was packing up.
Speaker 1: Was he okay? So that I think that was.
Speaker 2: Kind of my he was planning. Yeah, it were safe to say. I think he's going to be on rehabit simon this week. I mean, yes, exact day you'll be playing. But he's he's on the roadback.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I don't I don't want to put a timeline on how many games he needs. We'll see how many games he needs, how that goes, Assuming that goes smoothly, maybe he's back in ten days or so. You have you have a guy that has a was a Gold Glove finalist at third base last year, had never played the position for an extended period of time until then, and and quickly took to the position. Uh never really played the outfield much quickly took to right field this year. I've been impressed with his ability to adapt to any position. He was drafted as a shortstop. I think a lot of people thought his best position would be second base and that he could be Gold Glove caliber there. He's going to get playing time too when he comes back, assuming everything goes smoothly with his rehab. This is a team that, like you, you have to commend them for the depth and and like you said, they didn't they didn't part with Pedro Ramirez. They weren't willing to give them up for certainly not for a rental. I'm sure that there were deals that could have that could have made sense. They didn't at the time, Like it was always too much being asked. It was like Pedro Romeiras and like and more. Uh and and they weren't willing to do that. So so it's working out for them in the sense that we've talked about this for over a year now, kind of Patrick, they've been very lucky with the with the position player help. Uh. This is probably one of their longer injuries to a to a starting position player that they've had in a while, so uh uh. That sucks for them. But also I just cannot reinforce any harder that this is They're they're really well set up for this. It's it's they've done a good job building this team, and you've got to commend them for the depth that they have. And it doesn't feel like you're in panic mode when your you know, your calling card is your defense and you lose your stud defensive shortstop.
Speaker 3: I was just going to make that point. We as.
Speaker 2: You know, brutal as the pitching injuries have been, on the position player side, they've been remarkably healthy. I didn't Counsel even mentioned that going all the way back to like last year's winter meetings, like we don't we can't really count on that again. I want to say it was like six or seven guys last year played like one hundred and fifty plus games something something like that. Just like really very stable every day lineup and you pull out a huge piece, but you have some really nice players.
Speaker 3: You still have flexibility. You saw it Monday night.
Speaker 2: I mean they were I don't know if every single position player was used, but it's not like they were running out of answers. It always helps to have Pete at the top of the lineup, but they still have the depth and flexibility, the versatility.
Speaker 3: That should keep them in good shape. I mean catching the Brewers.
Speaker 2: Even if they had Dansby at one hundred percent for every inning the rest of the season, I don't know if they'd be able to catch him. It's probably the degree of difficulty probably increases a little bit.
Speaker 3: But we'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and talk about a pitcher that's not working out as planned.
Speaker 6: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in the setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them. For a family that is very much on the move. During his playing career. So you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: Patrick. On Sunday, along with that Dansby injury, there was Edward Cabrera on the mound for the first time. I can't remember how long it's been, but it was a hampstring injury.
Speaker 3: That's sorry.
Speaker 1: Two months yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. He'd looked great in the minors, like the numbers were amazing, the stuff was there, looked absolutely ready to come in and be the picture that the Cubs thought they were acquiring over the winter, a guy that they've targeted for a very long time. They've had their sights set on him. This pitching infrastructure, whatever you want to call it, has had a lot of success stories, so they've earned the trust of Hey, we've identified this guy, we want him. We think not only I think Craig Council said when they acquired him, whenever that was when we talked to him maybe Cubs convention, he said, we believe we're getting someone who's about to take off. I think were his words, it is not worked out. He had a terrible outing on Sunday. It looked bad to me from the get go. There are a lot of I don't want to go as far as Tyler Chatwood because the walk rate isn't that high, but it reminds me of the Darwag first half before the elbow issues sunk, where it's just like everything is at three to two counts. He's just not finishing guys off long at bats. Just very frustrating to watch, and you know the talent is there. And then he exits I think three and two thirds. Just not a great game, per performance, and then after the game says he had a blister, which Council never mentioned in his postgame presser until pregame yesterday. On Monday, he talked a little bit about it. But now he's on the IL. Javier Asat's back back on the IL. Doesn't sound like he's going to be starting again this season. Just kind of a mess of a year, a lost year for Edward Cabrera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the whole idea was, you know, he come with three years of club control and that would give you a buffer in case a lockout goes very long or if he has a serious arm injury injury. And this year they've they've kind of burned one of those years without that, you know, elbow or shoulder flaring up. The year started off fairly well. You know, he had a couple I want to say, I think he has four quality starts as a Cub, and the last one was like May fourth, something like that, and so like, uh, it's confusing, to be honest, I think you know, Cabert came in with a nice reputation.
Speaker 3: He clearly has talent.
Speaker 2: Uh, He's had had some really nice stretches with the Marlins. And you know, that was kind of my point to Craig, who I appreciated his honesty as a go in your clubhouse, ask you know, pretty much any picture, and they rave about the defense, the communication with the coaches, just the overall working environment. He's a yeah, it hasn't clicked. He's a guy wish I could tell you every story of a success story. This one isn't a paraphrasing Craig there. And you know, strangely enough, Agett, the Cubs have worked around this, but just the way Sunday came together.
Speaker 3: It was just odd.
Speaker 2: You know, someone asked Craig about Carera coming off the injured list and sort of like getting his footing. He's like, he's a healthy player, that's why he's activated, and he said it's go time.
Speaker 3: And I think Edward understands that, and the Cardinals are.
Speaker 2: Just on him from the start. You know, maybe there's a couple plays, difficult plays the Cubs could have made, and maybe it didn't look quite as bad, but they I mean, they just they hit the ball hard. He has not been getting results for a long time. Craig was not asked directly about a blister but after that game, but you know, he was a healthy pitcher coming in, and then you know Cabrera, it was sort of it was hard to pin down exactly like when the blister developed. But you know, you have Craig saying, well, we'll talk about this. You know, he wouldn't commit to another start for Cabrera, and then you know Cabrera saying, you know, I'm one hundred percent expect to stay in the rotation and really downplaying the blister issue, being sort of like put off that you know that it's even a question, but yeah, the same thing happened last time of oh yeah, blister, I'll be fine. I've had this my career, and you know, they put him on the injured list, and just that you know that start in New York, I mean, you were in New York. It felt like there may have been some optimism or momentum of like, hey, maybe we figured out a couple of things. Maybe this downtime has been able to work on things. And now it's just not realistic to think that he's going to start another game for this team this year, and even the bullpen stuff like yeah, I mean, but in terms of confidence and timing and trust and conviction, I just don't see. I mean, part of the logic forgot to mention is just that Council says it starts to flare up the longer it goes, so that maybe in shorter bursts it's a nail slash finger slash blister thing. We'll see just too many moving parts for you know, late August or a guy who might not be active till September. I think it's kind of like see you on the other side of the lockout.
Speaker 1: His strikeout rate is the lowest of his career at twenty point four percent. He was brought into miss bats. They brought him in because they don't have enough guys that miss bats. He's not like a ground ball artist. He's giving up a ton of hard contact. He's giving up more hits than he usually does. His batting average against is a career high. It's been a bad season for him. I don't think there's any you need to beat around the bush here like he it's like giving up a lot of hits and not striking guys out. That's not him at his best. It is. He has regressed this season and he was put in back in the rotation over David Peterson, who's you know, kind of resurrected his career with the Cubs since he's come back, or since he's been traded here from the Mets. Javier assad got sent down. Who is just the type of guy that just goes out there and does nothing but what he's asked to do, uh and and does it almost always does it well, and with zero fanfare. Like you know, he's not he's not gonna be in Cy Young conversations. He's not going to be talked about as unless your Mark Lighter Junior is one of the best pitchers in the game, but you know, he's he seems to just always get the job done. So like I like Edward Carberra had, like I absolutely get where the council was saying it's go time because you have competition right now. They have they actually have quality starting depth. One bad start means you're you should like, we need to question. That's where we're at now. You know, for certain guys, I think, like you know, like I'm not saying Matthew Boyd's rotation spot is up in the air. He's he had like six great ones in a row and then a stinker on Saturday. But yes, there there's competition right now. There are guys that have performed really well. Edic Carberra is not on that list. And I agree with you the bullpen stuff. Look, if that's the best path forward the rest of the season, you gotta at least try it. Can he earn the trust of the group, Can he get healthy? Then can he go out there, earn the trust of the staff that, yeah, this guy can go out there and get outs, get three outs in an inning and look nasty, And how does he bounce back after those outings? You can't have a guy out there that can go one or two innings and then needs three days rest in between an outing. You can't have too many of those guys. You can have one guy. But like their bullpen, it's look that there's some talent in this bullpen. There's there's there's definitely options right now, especially these guys get healthier. But you need guys that can go back to back days. You need guys that you can rely on. So we'll see where what the rest of the season holds for him. But I don't think you need you should, you know, lock him in to their plans for the rest of the year. It's just kind of like, let's see what happens, Let's see how he this blister, Like council kept it repeating, like we need to come up with a better solution for this blister as well. It keeps coming back. It's like a nail blister thing. It sounds like it's clearly a problem. This season is not beyond the injury. Has not been good enough when he's been healthy and on the mound. So he's got a lot of work to do to get I think the confidence of the staff back, Like where it's like, yeah, we can put him out there and know that he's going to get the job done, because we just haven't seen enough of it. It's hard to it's hard to say that, yeah, I believe in this guy when it seems like he's taking a step back this year. And I don't want to put that all. I mean, yeah, like the staff, sure they get some of the blame for that, but they have so many success stories that it's like, I don't you don't rip the staff for it, but right now this is not a success story.
Speaker 2: I think Cabrera has made one hundred and four or major league appearances, and one hundred two of those were starts, and even those two relief appearances were sort of we're multi inning look to be, you know, somewhat scheduled. So yeah, I don't like talk about a totally different routine mindset. And like you said, the competition is fierce right now. They have a lot of options from the back end to the front of the rotation. I mean, this looks like a guy that if he was on any other team right now, that comes with probably trying to like, you know, acquire him in a by low type of trade. So I'm not writing him off, you know. I think both sides will probably come away from this with a lot more information and a better understanding on how to get things back on track or how to be more preventative in terms of the blister stuff. But just a weird, weird situation all around, and again, kind of impressive to see where the Cubs are at given that he was the guy they wanted for their rotation this past offseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about that. No, Kate Horton, he made two starts, Matthew Boyd missed a ton of starts. Justin Steele isn't really a factor this year, hasn't pitched at all, and Edward Cabrera has not been good. And they're playing as well as they're playing that it's pretty it's pretty impressive. They've done a good job. One one quick thing before we wrap it up, Patrick, I just wanted to mention that I want to make sure people know that Daniel Pelentci was put on the sixty day and that was a procedural thing. I don't think there was a setback or anything like. It was justwork yeah check, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's fine. So we'll see when when they're ready to bring him back, but there's I'm very curious to see how they put this bullpend together because I don't think Zephyr John's a mess. I just think some pitches have been hit and and like he's had like he's been hit hard, and that's what Cubs fans have seen. But how are they going to put the back of this bullpend together? They can't rely on Jacob Webb every single night, so need Poalencia back. But where does everybody fit? I don't know. It's an expiration for another episode, but we'll be back with more. I'm curious to see that. That's something that's kind of been in my head, like how does it How do they work all this out? There's not a lot of optionable arms in there. But but they'll these are good problems, as they like to say, Uh, we'll see how it how it all works out in the end. But there's there's a lot of names to kind of filter through in that bullpen right now. All right, thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening and watching. Everyone take care