Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to fish On First.
Speaker 2: The misery continues for the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 3: Fish On First live on the Foul Territory Network, presented by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida.
Speaker 2: Usually, guys, we try to find the positives and I'm not going to say that there's none.
Speaker 3: There there is, but the shadow hanging over this team is it's too too gloomy and too dark to ignore.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about it.
Speaker 3: I'll talk about all these new ways that the Marlins finding to lose and what has become a twelve game losing streak franchise record, twelve game losing streak, beating their previous record of eleven in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Where does this team go? I guess there's nowhere to go but up right, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a twelve game losing streak, including today game that they look to have in hand after you're after a good pitching performance, starting pitching indus series was actually good. That's about the only thing that was consistently good in this series. We'll talk about the rest of the bad ury.
Speaker 2: Yesterday was good. Starting pitching to say wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: Gusta even wasn't bad, but they found a way to lose all three games against the San Diego Padres to fall under five hundred, and it's looking more and more like they're going to be sellers.
Speaker 2: As the days go on. Tough to say the least.
Speaker 3: You know, I think I can only talk for all of us when I say that we're with you guys. We know that this is We had a high hopes, especially after June, but July has been a unbridled mess for the Marlins. We'll go through it game by game starting today. I'll go backwards, of course, as we always do. I mean, a good start, actually a really good start to this game for the Marlins.
Speaker 2: They've they've looked to have it in hand. Things looked looked pretty.
Speaker 3: Good all the way up until what the fifth or sixth inning, I think it was, where they just kind of unraveled. It really wasn't terrible at all by your starting pitcher, as I noted before, Jansen junkin this one.
Speaker 2: You gave a lot of hits but didn't walk.
Speaker 3: Anybody, which is a huge plus for him, and pitched into the fifth inning, actually almost got out of the fifth inning. We'll talk about what happened after that, But yeah, I thought that this was good for Junk, who was struggling coming into this one.
Speaker 2: Kevin, go ahead, just we'll start with the positive.
Speaker 3: I guess this is about all you can ask for out of Jansen Junk, you know, as he as he continues to hold down a rotation spot. I thought this was obviously a step forward for him, and he gave the team a chance to win. Obviously they threw it away, but a lot of hits, only the one run though, six strikeouts, no walks.
Speaker 2: Talk about him first go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a short hook for Junk, regardless of hypat it got into the fifth, didn't even finish the fifth. But unfortunately, when he's been pitching the way that he has recently, you have to do that. I didn't watch too much of Junks start, but he did. As you guys noticed, he did keep him minute, and that's that's all you could ask for at this point, at this rate, with how the season is going, it definitely seemed like not a desperation move, but definitely a quicker hook for him than than usual. I watched him in Houston and he went I think four or five innings in that start, and at this point you just gotta do what you gotta do in term to see if you could go with your best relievers. Unfortunately, it was a weird situation where they went with Peterson got hit in the arm. I do believe he was gonna go out there for the six is what Clayton said postgame. So for anyone trying to think that Clayon's bullpen management is his dad, I don't think it was in this case. It's just an unfortunate situation where Peterson got hit in the arm and definitely got to take priority to create the X rays. Everything was good, so he should be fine. And yeah, Junk was good, solid, much better than what we've seen the last couple of arts. And certainly you were looking at a point where you're thinking that maybe Junk isn't supposed to be a starter, maybe not fit enough for it. But I guess to a certain extent, it proved some people wrong or at least made his case to remain in their rotation moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think did enough, but I would agree with that thought. Maybe he could have at least finished that fifth inning. You know, I know he really didn't help his case with the traffic Kell out on the basis, but I don't think he was bad after that. Oh boy, as you noted, Kevin, they go to Peterson, you only gets the one out because he gets hit by a pitch. After that, it's Gibson for the lefties, which was good. Zoober bounces back with the scoreless inning, which was good. And then Baker, who had been pitching decently until this comes in and man, it's not good. Five hits, four earned runs, does get two strikeouts or I'm sorry, two home runs, no strikeouts, so obviously wasn't in the zone whatsoever.
Speaker 2: He gets the loss and a blown save. Maybe do for this, you know, I for Barker. I mean, like I said, coming into this was pitching pretty well. I think you noted it, Kevin. I don't think bad bullpen management by Clayton in this one.
Speaker 3: I mean, we could blame remember for a lot of other things, but I don't think this was bad, especially if he was going to use Peterson in the next inning, even though he had left these new up. Maybe getting away a little bit from the strict platoon situation that he had. But yeah, Boker, and this one takes a step back and it cost to Marlin's game.
Speaker 2: Like I said, he like finding new ways to lose.
Speaker 3: That's what's happening on this skid that the Marlins are which are on, which is now twelve games.
Speaker 2: So Boker in this one not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Boker.
Speaker 5: Overall this season he's been solid, but there have been those two huge anomalies. The one that I think burns pretty brightly in people's memory is the yeary perfect game bid. Boker was the one that came in with an eight run lead, that was, and he didn't get a single outs if I remember correctly, in that performance, that was one of the worst relief outings of Marlin's history, allowing five earned in that scenario. So that game sticks out, and they actually won that game, of course, even though I remember coming on the stream and people being furious by the decision, they did at least win that game. And then since then, this is the one that sticks out that is very comparable to that outing, and this one does end up making the entire difference between a win and a loss. He came in with a two run lead, he leaves with a two run deficit. And that's pretty much all she wrote right there. To me, I'm not going to like micro analyze Boker's performance. That just speaks to the fact that this this roster as a whole right now is just not strong enough. The fact that Boker, I think, could you actually made the case was a reasonable choice given the alternatives to pitch in that situation. There weren't all that There weren't multiple other guys left in the bullpen at that stage of the game that I feel were significantly better than Boker. But the fact that he is that high up on the leverage order just speaks to the fact that these injuries have taken their toll and they haven't made the.
Speaker 6: Adjustments necessary to this roster.
Speaker 5: There have been guys down in Jacksonville that I'd like to have seen given a shot over these last couple weeks that haven't gotten a shot, So they haven't really given these guys an opportunity to show themselves as impact guys in the later endings. Boker is a guy that has, in my mind, just limited ceiling in terms of what he could do. He's kind of susceptible to having an occasional blow up like this. I wouldn't put too much on Baker, too much on Clayton. I think this is one that really goes down to the team itself not being strong enough. There's just not enough overall talent right now, and they have found, as he kind of allude to, so many different ways to fall just a little bit short in these games, because as a whole, they're just even teams that come in with very comparable records, teams like the Patters that came into the series with the worst record than the Padre than the Marlins did. But the Padres, I think anybodyho says that they're a better team right now. They have more overall talents, and that kind of made the difference of the course of this weekend.
Speaker 3: Crutchick, I want to ask you, I mean, just to end that topic really quick. On the bullpen, they do have Acnes coming back. He threw a rehab outing yesterday, looked like he had alos Villa. I think he topped at ninety eight in a scoreless saying. I would say, you, Eli, I don't know, just to wrap this up, maybe one more rehoub outing and we've maybe able to see him back after his knee problem or whatever happened. I would think that he come back, and it sounds it sounds kinda kind of like maybe not trying to speak too highly of him because his major league career is only so short, but that will be a huge addition when he comes back, just considering that he can if he has.
Speaker 2: To go multiple innings.
Speaker 3: But really, you know, shines in that one inning, one inning role that just come in and fireball guys. So I'm excited to see Acnes back because I do think that he is still good and Ken pitching a high leverage if he has to. So I'm I'm looking forward to them getting Actnes back, hopefully after like one more rehab. Any anyways, that's it on the bullpen for now, Crutchick. I want to go to you just just ending with we DELI said about the team not being good enough, and I would agree with it.
Speaker 2: Is there a sense of urgency in this clubhouse?
Speaker 3: You were there today and Kevin, I know you were there I think the other two games of this series, right, So I want to go to Kratchik first because you were there today and saw this one, and we're there for Clayton's post game to talk about Clayton yesterday post game, like just it doesn't seem from his comment from mcculla's comments that there is a real sense of urgency to win games.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, yeah, skids happened. We're talking about twelve games and he's up on the stands smiling with his arms crossed. Yeah, well we'll go. We have another one tomorrow. Like there's maybe he knows that the team was over achieving in June. Maybe he knows that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, they were kind of playing with house money coming into July. But to look at this face that's on the screen after what was their eleventh straight loss, and then I think even today it wasn't that much different in his postgame press conference. You can correct me every I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: My question for you is what is there a sense of urgency in ending this and trying to actually compete this year or is it just another day.
Speaker 7: I do think there's a sense of urgency, and I do think that there's a little bit of anger in the clubhouse at the situation where.
Speaker 2: They find themselves in.
Speaker 7: The Reality is we only get in an hour with them before the game and ten minutes with them after the game. So there's no way for me to know this for sure. But in covering this team and this specific regime for the last couple of years. You get the sense that they are so locked in on their plan, their plan, their game plan, their analytics, their philosophies that when things like this happen, it's just, you know, stay the course, stay the course. And to an extent, I agree with that. I'm not saying you should blow up the entire blueprint, blow up the team, fire Clayton tonight. But at the same time, you can't just come in and say everything will be fine because we know who we are and we know what we're gonna do. There has to be some human element to it where I need to see coach get mad. I need to see some sort of elements which we saw earlier in the season of you know, Peter Bendix sending guys down. Connor Norby wasn't doing well enough, so we get sent down. The same with Gus. Gus was not doing well enough at Catcher defensively or offensive link, so we get sent down. I like those sort of things. Right now, I'm getting the vited they are drinking too much of their own kool aid when it comes to we trust our full again. Like I said, nothing, you should blow up your philosophy because of a bad twelve game stretch, but clearly something needs to change, even it's just temporary, like something you need to have some sort of human element into what you're doing instead of just saying we trust our process, we trust our process.
Speaker 4: And just to add on to that really quick, just you know, I was in Houston for all three of those losses. I think it's safe to say, like, the way that this team went about it the first half of the season is certainly not the same. Like Kurtchick, you were there today and you were there yesterday and we didn't walk into the clubhouse because it wasn't really needed. But like, it's not the same vibe. The guys clearly are feeling it. I do agree, though, like your manager shouldn't be smiling and trying to spin every question into a positive because at the end of the day, you I hate to say it like this, and I have a lot of respect for Clayton what he does, but you were on the hot seat, my friend. He is on the hot seat. There's no doubt about it. I don't know exactly the contract situation is that I think it's either it ends after this season or he has one more after this made a team option or whatever, but it's it gets to a point where if you set the franchise record for most losses in a row, something needs to be done, something needs to change. And and I understand they're going through this analytical plan that crutchc mentions, but sometimes you have to go away from that the way this team is mentally defeated. And you know what, this is what I've noticed. And I don't know if you guys want to touch in on this too, but for example, they gave up what was it the homer to Renhifo. After that, you would have thought it was a funeral in there. Like it was dead, Like the clubhouse was dead, everything was dead. Like they just seemed lifeless. Lifeless baseball is being played, and that's not the team that we saw at the start of the season. The team we saw at the start of the season was a team that played small ball, was extremely vibrant and had a lot of energy. You had spark plugs in there with Sooha and and what's his name, Ruiz and just not seeing that it's it's lifeless baseball, that it's lacking energy. I'm not saying that the effort is there Don't get me wrong, there is effort, and Clayton mentioned that in Houston, and I'm sure there is because they're pitching well, at least starting pitching. The starting pitching has helped has kept them in games and has clearly been a big reason as to why they stay close in the games, and offensively in some of the games they have done just enough to at least stay in it. It's sometimes the bullpen and sometimes the offense. And I think I look at the Houston serious and you strike out fourteen times in one game thirteen in the next. I mean, guys, this one was. Offense is one of the worst in baseball. Since the start of the losing streak, they rank last and almost every statistical category you could think of. Their second last in WRC plus second and last, and on last, and on base percentage last, second and last, and OPS last, and batting average, they've hit the least amount of home ors, they've scored the least amount of runs in baseball. It really is truly the offense. But today it was the bullpen. And there's cases where it has been the bullpen this season. And when they go down this team, you know, you talked about the fight, the urgency, all this we spoke about the start of the season. Just you're not seeing it at all. You're seeing a lifeless lacking of energy product when the team it goes down into a game, and you know what, fine, but they gotta find ways to get out of it because they are the reason that they are now probably gonna sell and they're gonna see some of their team mights go to another organization come August third.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and just a sorry Carver, I just want to you guys have both touched on the hitting, which has been an issue. I mean, they still have yet to score more than three runs. They've they've scored more than three runs two times in twelve games. That should be almost impossible for a big lead team. In my opinion, you guys touching the bullpen. I've never seen a team miss a player like the Mans of missing Anthony Bender for however long he's been out when you're working into the eighth didn't even tie ball game, And no disrespect for you, Tyler Zueber out there and Dad scored in a one run game. And then Boker today, like Eli said, I like Boker, but if he's that high up when you're gonna use him leverage. I don't see that as well. So when it comes to base running, which is also what I've been looking at, hobby Er Snohak taking off the third base and I've all hit right in front of him. That just goes and I think they've they've been impressing so much we saw with Auto yesterday. I wouldn't say they're lifeless, because I mean, when they're up like they were today, there is some energy there. But I feel like they're all trying to fix the issue with one player, one game and trying to get all twelve games back in a single player, a single game so they can take it more day by day by Janson Johnson after his start today, and then they'll be able to find more success. But it's a nothing in any department is working right now, so something has to change. I'm not going to say claims on the hot seat because at the end of the day, he's not. He hasn't scored more than three runs twice. It's the bats he quots in the lineup, which are given to him by Bendinson co. So That's where I'm at right now.
Speaker 4: Really quickly to clarify it's lifeless, after they're down in the game. For sure, they're when they're up and they're winning, it's great. But when Kifo hits the homer in that first game, dead, they give up the late it was dead allot all of yesterday, and then they give up the back to back homeers to Machada. I think it was Jackson Merrill. Dead. You gotta I understand there's a losing streak, but if they want to win, they're gonna have to show some life and some energy. Because I know that's not the big part of it, because there's a lot more that's going on right now that outside of that. But I'm watching lifeless baseball and that was a big thing too in Houston.
Speaker 2: And at the end of the day. To fix that, I'm gonna go to you in a second one. To fix that. I don't know if you're gonna say the same thing.
Speaker 3: To fix that. It starts with Clayton mccallough. Absolutely starts with the manager of the baseball team in those moments where it's dead, to encourage your team, to say something to your team, to after a tenth eleventh straight loss hole the closed door meeting, do something rather than sit on a stand and say we got another game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well, it will end it. It's it's not just one thing, it's it's a variety. Well, we'll, we'll get there, we'll we'll end.
Speaker 3: Every game matters, especially when you're barely playing to a wildcard spot.
Speaker 2: You have to find ways to motivate your players.
Speaker 3: Yes, at the end of the day, it's up to the players that are on the field to play the game and perform. It is up to the manager to motivate the players to perform, and he's not doing that right now.
Speaker 2: So Sean, how does McCullough fix that and why hasn't he?
Speaker 1: But so far I've just been doing my impression of the Marlins offense man being super quiet. But how Clayton fixes it? I mean, I agree with you completely. I get the argument that if he came in and did something, you know, very untrue to himself all of a sudden, like started kicking over tables in the locker room, you know, that's probably the gonna You know, some players might be looking at him sideways thinking, you know, what's this guy? But no, I'm just been in front of you know that same you know placid expression, you know, lost after loss, like these games count for something like That's that is the attitude you want. When we were learning how to win and learning how to be a baseball team last year and even earlier on in the season. But you know, the expectations changed and the pressure you know, should change with it, and that's requires far more you know, get up and go. If that doesn't happen on camera, fine, but you really want to see that sense that the manager is not satisfied to performance, that someone's going to be held accountable, you know, for this, and you've got to see a little more you know, feeling from them. And I think that, well, I don't think anything would happen, you know, this year. This certainly is going to come up. And this is very much a situation where yeah, his seat is getting hot in a hurry. The national excrutiny has been on this team for about a month now. Half of that month is great, and this shows up on the resume too, and I don't think it balances out as a wash over the last thirty days. This is what's going to stick and things need to turn around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one more word on this before we hit into our first break, Just about the reality about not so much whether how much of Clayton's fault this is, but just the reality that when you are steering a team through this kind of losing, I think history would tell you that the manager escapegoaded in almost all these circumstances. I'm actually gonna do the research on this, just like verify it. You look at the longest losing streaks in baseball this year, it's the Mets fired their manager like a month after that, it's the Phillies who fired their manager almost immediately after their ten games.
Speaker 4: Kid.
Speaker 5: That feels like a very familiar pattern that these guys eventually, whether during the season or after the season, and I think in his case would be the decision to be made after the season.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really difficult as a manager to avoid the being caught in the shrapnel from that type of disaster, because when you have continuity on your roster of a certain number of players, and the players perform at a certain level for a sustained period of time, especially this late into the year, and then all of a sudden, it just falls apart in so many different areas, Like it's not just one guy, as we've covered, it is every aspect of the team being deficient. We touched on the hitting and the bullpen I would go to outside of this most recent series, the starting rotation just being as thin as it is. A couple there are a couple of spots where they just don't get linked out of other starters. It's the defense too, it's a base running as well, like every single area eroding and when you can't like point to a particular player, and certainly as the front office, when it's a front office that came in that or even before this manager did. Yeah, it's it's just it's very it's as hot a see as you could have as as a manager. When you have consecutive games, loss after loss after loss, all these different opponents.
Speaker 6: You're losing at home.
Speaker 5: It's very hard to get swept at home, and the Martins have been. That's happened twice. It's happened at the start of the streak, and this happens most recently this past weekend against teams that they thought were really comparable to them entering those matchups. Uh So that's kind of the direction where this is headed. Of course, there's still a long season to play and they're still within believe it or not. They're still with the in striking distance of a postseason spot. It's just so difficult to believe that this thing is going to turn around when they're just leaking oil in all these different areas. So that we're gonna go to a quick break here from mint Mobile and then a whole lot more to on. This losing streak ends the team's outlook and the trade deadline, So definitely stick with us through this.
Speaker 9: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about Mintmobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crats, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 1: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 9: You can even bring your current phone and your number if you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 9: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hot spot capable device required availability, speed and coverage varies. Cement Mobile dot.
Speaker 3: Com back to continue talking about this uh skid that the Marks are on, possibly their outlook on what do they do at the deadline, as well as looking forward to I think what to me is a make or break series coming up against the Philly who preview that in a little bit.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about some positives.
Speaker 3: Though I know we've been a bit negative and there are some positives believed or not, there are some positives to talking about this mare on this team. One is Uri Perez who pitched yesterday and what was this his fourth or fifth straight quality start?
Speaker 2: Really good and I don't.
Speaker 3: Think the the with.
Speaker 2: With inducing Uri Perez.
Speaker 3: It was more of the fill up the strike zone and get we contact with his fastballs, both the four seam and the two seam. UH mixed and slider a little bit, but didn't really use many of his breaking pitch is on a consistent basis as mostly sinker fastball and did well with it even though he didn't have all.
Speaker 2: Of his pitches.
Speaker 3: Uh give up some early runs but end a late run in the seventh inning. We could talk about on if he should have been out there for that inning or not whatever, But yeah, no, I think I think pretty damn solid from from Uri Perez in this one to kind of have that mental toughness to get this done even.
Speaker 2: Though he I don't think had all of his stuff. Kevin, you were there for this one.
Speaker 3: Another good start for Uri, another quality start, like I said, either his fourth or fifth straight. Just keeps going, keeps getting better, keeps improving, even when he didn't have all of his stuff.
Speaker 2: So I thought, damn encouraging from a pitcher that the Marlins planned to have around for a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you look at that start and it's like doesn't get his first strike it until the sixth, like you know, definitely a little concerning, I guess, but like even then, like you'll take that right, you'll take a start whek he gives you six innings, goes into that leieve he once to the seventh like this was a good start for Yurie. He's been one of the marlins most consistent pitchers coming out of the All Star break, and if you look at since he's come off the eel, he's been really good. And I think a big reason for that is the sinker that he added, which he could play off the fast ball and playoff for some of the other breaking ball pitches, breaking pitches. I think that's been a big part of it. So I'm curious to see how that continues to develop. But this is this is a gyory that you know, you're very excited and happy to have, right. This is a guy that is no longer dealing with the Tommy John, the rehab from the Tommy John, the limited pitch count, the limited innings like he is now also on entering uncharted territory, something that I think is worth noting. I believe he's creeping up on his career high in innings pitched or will certainly surpass that, So something to keep in him mind, at least at the major league level. Not combining the minors, so this is something to keep an eye out for. But they let him go one hundred and ten something pitches yesterday, so they definitely don't seem too concerned about it. Hopefully they don't do what they did with Max and now'll give him another day off and then it turns into an extrain and now he's out for a long time. But yeah, I think this is the guy that you're going to count on for a very long time this rotation. And I was gonna write about, you know, just how good Yuri has been and what he's done, because I think the sinker just plays a big factor into that. And I know Corvertt had mentioned the high fastball usage, which is certainly fair, but at this point, like if it's working, it's working. We made our complaints. There was a time where he actually did start throwing a lot more breaking pitches, and it certainly did help him. But if you find some sort of combo there where you're at least throwing enough breaking pitches to keep you in it and allow you to go further into a game, like he has been able to do something I think he struggled to do early on in the season. I think we'll take that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, just the guy that can get it done in multiple ways. It doesn't have to be the the the whiffs all the time, right, it doesn't have to be that. And I think Yuri's coming to the realization that, you know, you're not gonna have that stuff every day. Some days you're gonna have to get ground balls. You're gonna have to rely on we contact. And it's damn refreshing to see a player who I don't think two years ago we could have said that he would be able to do that. Yesterday he did, and I think that is very encouraging for a very young pitcher that's still growing right awesome.
Speaker 2: So, you know, as great as.
Speaker 3: It is to see strikeouts, as great as it is to see you know, double digit strikeouts and all the stuff that we know year he can do, I am equally excited to see him get eight ground ball outs and six.
Speaker 6: Flyouts exactly just me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in me, I was going to go into a little bit just on the ground balls, because from the moment he debuted, what really puzzled me is like how he was so averse to getting balls on the grounds, Like his ground ball rate as a rookie was twenty five percent and league averages in the low forties. He was the most extreme flyball starting pitcher in baseball in twenty twenty three as a rookie. He took a significant step forward last year sort of to like thirty one percent, which is still like near the bottom of the barrel, but you know, it's six percent jump, and now he's taken another seven percent lead to thirty eight percent. So all of a sudden, he was in spitting distance of being average in that apartment. I think that's a great trade off for him to be able to get more of that soft contact, even if it's more contact.
Speaker 6: Overall by a little bit.
Speaker 5: The quality of contact going down the way it is, you're not going to really give up crooked numbers if you're just getting grounders the way that he has been in it definitely so to me, this most recent outing that was one of the more higher ground ball rates that he's had overall, even relative to his other starts this season. The sinker almost directly is contributing to that. Being able to use that pitch as an alternative to his four seamer. It's been a really good compliment overall. So this is the guy that I thought was going to be the best pitcher on the team this season. I think when it's all settled, he might still actually end up being the most valuable pitcher. Now that Max has gone down with his injury, Sandy has been up and down and up and down.
Speaker 6: And overall very important, but your overall.
Speaker 5: He's the guy that I trust most moving forward the rest of the season. I think he's going to be the guy that gives you both high upside and as we've seen now ever since coming back from.
Speaker 6: The il that was a full month ago, he's just been extremely consistent during that stretch too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been really good and like I said, getting it done in multiple ways, which is the most encouraging thing.
Speaker 2: I think we'll go on. He's been great, So that is one positive.
Speaker 3: The other positive I want to talk about Joe Mack. I mentioned this last time I was on here, and I'm gonna mention it again. The more we see this guy play and the more he does what he continues to do and hitting, in fielding and throwing, I mean, it's just a guy that is a clear extension can today. And you know, I know the Marlins don't have to do it. I understand that he's under team controlled until twenty thirty whatever, but man, this is a Cornerstone player that I think as long as he is in the Marlins striking distance and as long as they are able to do it, I think this offseason they have to try to extend the player because you don't find catchers like this often whatsoever.
Speaker 2: So my question to you guys is why not.
Speaker 3: I understand they don't have to, which is the point Isaac made last time I brought this up, and the more that you see him do what he's doing is it.
Speaker 2: How can you not?
Speaker 3: In my opinion, right, So that's what I think is, how can you not extend this player? How can you not at least try to extend the player in the offseason? But will they and what does that extension possibly look like for a player that is looking more and more like JT.
Speaker 2: Realmuto every day. So that's my question to you guys. Who wants to hit this one?
Speaker 8: Nate go ahead, Yeah, you said it best, Barb. I think Cornerstone is the best way to drop a guy like Joe Matc. I mean, Michael Peterson takes a ball off his forum today Joe Matt picks it up, spins around, and throws it at the first day out of the end. I mean, that's just one of the many aprodible things he does mind the plate, obviously, I think beyond just throwing guys out and hitting homers and even looking a lot better against lefties like he has recently, he's just such a big culture that to have you have a catcher that is so smart behind the plate, not knowing to pictures trust him, but the entire team down for Rob who's calling the pitches, to trust it. I like Joe Matt back there. In terms of what the contract would actually look like that I completely agree with you they should extend him. Not not too sure on that, honestly, it's more of a Kevin or Eli type question. But in terms of should they yes, if you like, it's too late on a lot of the other guys we've talked about in the past, and this would not be like a Jacob Marcy type deal like you saw last year, because at this point, not only his catcher a more valuable position than center, but Joe has been showing that he's been improving compared to Marcie when he really came out of the gates hot and Hovis the next steadily declined throughout the rest of the season. So anything match trending up and if they want to get it done, I feel like, honestly, after this next season, if it is played, it's going to be too late to extend a guy like Joe Matt. So the time is now, as soon as possible it can get this guy, because what he's looking at like you just said, Carver's JT realmutail, Like.
Speaker 4: I think it's also like you look at this, it's what you should do, right. You need to extend someone win over the fan base somehow a little bit, just a little bit, if it's Mac, if it's Uri, which I know people say Yuri's impossible to extend, But I'm looking at all these starting pitcher extensions and I think those are pretty fair price rangers for Uri, who was not quite an up and down career up to this point. Most recently Chase Burns, who got extended for a good chunk of money. And I think you're Wou'd be very happy to be one hundred million dollar pitcher in this game. But anyways, with Mac, I can't remember the last time a Catcher got extend. I guess Shaylangliers maybe got extended. That's no, not even Drake Baldwin. So it's been a while, so.
Speaker 5: Well, I was gonna correct it. It really hasn't been that long. It's been less than a years since Samuel Basaioh got his Memorials Drafters debut.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that was I'll be kind of quick on this.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 5: I saw mac as an extension candidate before the season. I thought that is when they could get the real value for him before debut, knowing that he was definitely gonna be joining the team early in the season.
Speaker 6: They didn't do that.
Speaker 5: And I think the reason why it's it's unusual for ketches speak extended overall is just because it's a position where the aging curve is different. Like a lot of these guys, it's before, it's not even after thirty, it's like before thirties. Sometimes they're like, you just don't get back to that same level yet before And for the Marlins, they have club control over him through his age twenty nine season, for all of his twenties as things currently stands, So what's the point of adding more years to it? It depends how you really feel about him as an overall athlete. I think he is a guy that, relative to the position, is more athletic than most. How you feel about the intangibles? I mean, to me, I think there's still some question about where he's going to settle in offensively, as the power is pretty good overall, the plate discipline is I don't think anything particularly special. The strikeout rate is considerably higher than average right now. So I just when you compare him to like real Mito, I don't really see. I don't think you're going to get that level consistency offensively. I do think that's very fair comp defensively overall. And just to go back to Besilloh, that was eight years, sixty seven million dollars, but he was a couple of years younger than Mac was, so that was ensuring that they get all of his twenties, and Basilah's was the same for hitter, and to this point he is. I mean, the results have actually been very similar to this point, but I think Basillah is the one that has much higher floor as an offensive player and maybe certainly more sketchiness as a defender. I think, all things considered, that is kind of the area you're looking at where that's probably what max representation we're gonna shoot for. I think the Mons could get anything just a little bit below that, below, like anything in like the fifty to sixty million dollar range over seven eight years where they had a couple more years of team control beyond what they already have. But in no particular year does it, you know, go past fifteen million dollars. I think that would kind of be the sweet spot. So usually don't see extensions in the middle of the year, but as Kevin reference, we just saw a couple of them across baseball. We saw not only Chase Burns, but also JJ Weatherholts or the Cardinals in the Pasaiah one I referenced. He got that one right in the middle of the season, right after he debuted. So there is some precedent for that to happen, even though it's more likely to beat tables until the offseason or such.
Speaker 4: Another extension with Oils did an extension with a picture too recently, but exactly Bradish, Yeah, but you look at like well, we had Robert Murray on too, and he was telling us like these are going to become a lot more common these mid season extensions, and he said that teams are probably talking to players as we speak right now, so it doesn't come as a surprise. I also think the interesting thing is here we look back at the offseason, we look at all the names that they were discussing extensions with. Marcy clearly does not deserve one anymore. Unfortunately, Kyle Stowers, No, I think guess what uri they were they tried didn't work. I would try to re engage in those if I were the Marlins. Probably not gonna work. So you look at this roster from top to bottom. Maybe if you want to keep Sandy a little bit longer, you do something there, is that going to be possible? Probably not. They're probably not gonna do it unless Bruce tells him that he wants Sandy here and he'll extended himself. But Joe Mack is probably the best name to look at, like there's really nobody else. It's it's Joe Mack, and you, Perez, is that to one hundred percent guys that you want to keep around and an extent maybe Otto, But I don't see that possible right now, and I wouldn't do it either. So it's Joe Joe Nieri or nobody really at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sean, I want to hit this with you. I want to get your comments on this. You know, it satisfies kind of what we're seeing in the comments here on the screen, Like the Marlins never extend anybody. I have no faith that they will extend. Those are fair sentiments to come from fans because the Marlins don't extend a lot of players.
Speaker 2: That's not really how they've ever operated.
Speaker 3: I mean, they gave one to Stanton and then traded all of his money to the Yankees, So I mean it doesn't really even count.
Speaker 2: What two years into the contract he gets traded.
Speaker 3: I think you can correct me if I'm wrong on that, but it's pretty early into the contract, right before the big money years hit. He gets traded to the Yankees with all the money included, so or most of it, I guess I should say.
Speaker 2: So, you know, timing has to be right.
Speaker 3: It has to be a specific kind of player, as Eli was alluding to a specific kind of athlete. But I think even if the offense, even if the offense is is only ever at its floor, for this player, he does enough on defense to provide pots of value positive war year over a year, and you can't say that for a lot of catchers. And I think the offense, the floor of the offense really isn't bad and it's still becoming of a starter.
Speaker 2: I think at his worst, it's still a player that's gonna.
Speaker 3: Hit like at least like two thirty every year and pop at least like ten to fifteen home runs. That's my opinion, with the strikeouts not even being too too bad.
Speaker 2: But that's my opinion.
Speaker 3: Maybe some others see that the floor could be lower on the offense, which is fair. But even if his offense is at the floor, the defense is more than enough, and I think there's more room to grow into the offense as well. Maybe he goes through sophomore some next year, it's totally possible. But at the end of the day, it's a young player. He's a special defender, he's a great kid, says all the right things, does all the right things, learns a lot, did everything right through the miners as a high school catcher, which a lot of times don't pan out. Yeah, and yeah, you're right, Like catcher's age a lot differently than a normal player, which is why it's so rare. To see, you know, a catcher get a huge extension or a big extension. But I think that this player will have have no issue whatsoever sticking there.
Speaker 2: Through his prime years. I really don't think there's too much of worry. It's not even the guy who was really injured at all through his minor league career knock on Woods, So I mean he's durable. The arm is amazing.
Speaker 3: The pop times you see them every time a cop stealing. There's a reason why Kevin publishes the pop time because anything under one point nine is incredible. Like, this is a clear cut extension candidate in my opinion, even though he's a catcher. But I want to hear your comments in terms of like where where where.
Speaker 2: Are you on this?
Speaker 3: Are you okay with him being an extension candidate as long as if he's a catcher, Like what are your your comments on this one?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely they should extend it. And again we've hit it with the floor on the skills he's had on defense, the transformative impact he had on this team. Now granted you know we're going through it right now obviously, but still the way the defense, you know, overall and you turn turned around, they're at the confidence you saw every picture you know, on the roster, having him right from the get go. That's something this team you know, desperately needed and still does. And that's not going you know, he's not going to age out of that. The arms, you know, going to play for quite some time. I'm Scott him got some power in his bat, you know, so that but even you know, if he doesn't, he doesn't have to get better to be worth the money that we were talking about, you know, for that, you know, basile type extension and to the fan point of just needing to see someone extended, I definitely do think that is a factor. I think all the names you brought up are it's the shortlist of candidates that you can do that with. And this is a fan base that desperately needs to see that, and this is certainly a piece that they can and should build around. I would have no problem with it at all, based on what he's done. I think it's different than Marcia last year. You know, this is a different situation, you know, than that that was relying a lot on a really impressive offensive August, you know, for that, markets about what he's done with on defense all season, and that they should capitalize and extend him as soon as possible.
Speaker 6: Related point on it really quickly before we go to freak.
Speaker 5: But what does it mean for Augustine Ramirez who was the primary catcher a lot of last year and is catching pretty regularly down in Jacksonville right now, but for reasons that I don't think any of us fully understand, because it's not really turning a corner. Like I highlighted this really nice cost ceiling he had today, but that was like picking a needle out of a haystack because so many of his defensive plays have been low light since he going down there. He's been so error prone, like he's never going to stick at that position at the big league level. And I think that's an interesting name to just keep your eye on over the next eight days as a stealthy trade candidate, and Gus the fact that he's just I don't know what they're going to do with him really, given that they are still working him out as catcher, and I don't know who they're trying to showcase him for when it comes to that. And even though it's important to have some sort of depth at this position, as Carver kind of like mentions like max track record a durability these last four seasons has been pretty impeccable. He hasn't been hurt since twenty twenty two. They're just not going to need to invest very much in that catcher position moving forward. Outside of Mac, so Gus is somebody that maybe changes scenery candidate, which is hard to believe given where we were a year ago, but the past year has just gone pretty poorly on both sized the ball with him. Just a name to keep in mind, even though it would be selling love from the Marlins perspective, So that will hit. This quick ad break here from fan Duel and then the rest of the show on the other side.
Speaker 10: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel. Baseball fans think you know who's hitting a homer today, Well, Fan Duel is giving you a free chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain, and don't forget you can make a free pick every day, I'll see and long. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home for home runs. So are you ready to play your game today? Join all the action at FanDuel dot com slash podcast. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast to play daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 11: Twenty one plus Select states for Kansas and affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC Kentucky, Wyoming. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wagerromount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler Call one eight hundred my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. Visit CCPG dot org, slash chat Connecticut, Visit MD gamblinghelp dot org. Maryland Visit Gambling Helpline MA dot org. Call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight Hope and why text hope and why New York Call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven.
Speaker 3: Louisiana back for the rest of what has been a jam packed but roller coaster of emotions. I guess I would say on the show so far, you know, I think we've we've found found the good as we can and what has been a very tough stretch for the Marlins hopefully coming to an end this week against the Phillies at home. We'll talk about that in a second. I want to get to two more things with you guys. We mentioned them already a couple times. Jacob Marcy so Jacob Marci Perier reporting Kevin is now as we heard I think in Houston it was said that he won't play every day against.
Speaker 2: Right hand and pitching.
Speaker 3: He is now, you know, succumbing some of those reps to the guys like Conine and Ruiz, who I think I've earned it for sure. Both of them have played extremely well. We've already started to see that happen. And we're also looking at the impending return of Owen Casey, who yesterday we're heard is continuing baseball activities. He's been able to run, hit and do defensive work with no issues. At per MLB dot com. So I guess we probably aren't too far away from Casey probably going on to rehab assignment, maybe to Jupiter, maybe.
Speaker 2: The Jacksonville, who knows.
Speaker 3: But my question for you guys is looking probably a little bit down the road. I know we're probably like at least a week to two weeks out on this, but Marcy's gotten the whole season to show improvement.
Speaker 2: We know that the Marlins still have faith in him.
Speaker 3: I think that there's reason to still like the player, given that he is a damn good defensive center fielder, a true center fielder. He holds that position down very well. It says that the bat has been a black hole, there's no getting around it. I guess this series he got two hits in the two games that he did play. I think he pinched hit, say two or yeah, I think he pitched it today as well. Didn't get anything.
Speaker 2: But for lack of a better term, he struggled very badly all the way through the year. So he's showing glimpses of the times of kind of battling through it, and then.
Speaker 3: It's kind of just fallen off and he hasn't really been able to stay consistent. So a triple A stent workd for Harry Berto, would it work for Jacob Marcy? I think we are of the opinion that it probably would. Marlins have yet to make that move. But will they do that when Owen Casey is ready to come back, And can they live through manning centerfield without Jacob Marcy if he continues to struggle for the next week to two weeks. Kevin, go ahead, I'll let you hit on this. What happens when Casey comes back? Is Marcy the guy they send down? Or does something else happen.
Speaker 4: I think by the time Casey's back, we should be pretty much very close to either the deadline or right after it. So I think we should have some moves made there that maybe open up a spot for Casey, just based off of trades. And I say this because I don't know why. I just have a feeling they're going to move on from Griffin Conine. They don't talk about him as much as I think they I think they should, they don't. It feels like they had their guys right, and that's something that we've said with Braxon, with other guys in the organization, and I think specifically just look at this Casey situation. I think he'll just take Conin spot. If Conin has moved. I'm not saying he is. I'm not reporting that they're looking to move him, but I don't know. I just have a feeling they will when it comes to Marci. Yeah, I think this is step one and let's see what you got in this type of situation, and we'll go from there. If he continues to struggle, if it doesn't go well for him, they'll just have to send him down. Because there's this guy named cam Canerella who continues to rake and continues to prove that he is more than ready. And I know the defensive aspect and the base running aspect for Marshie specifically, something that they would be losing because he's second on the team in stolen bases and he's buy out above average, a pretty good defender in center field. Now, this was not a very good series for base running, and Marcy was at the forefront of that. And you even look at Houston not very good either because they got thrown out a couple of times. So at this point you just have to assume it's something mental with him. I really don't think he is a terrible baseball player. I think he's a serviceable guy when when he is a decent player. I just think maybe the pressure got to end this season a little bit too much in terms of like, hey, you're gonna have to step up, be the guy, play every day. And I think this is something they should have done at least a month ago. This this transition off of being an everyday guy against right handed pitching, and this is something ELI had noted, like Marcias started every single game against the right handed starting pitcher until that game against Houston where they started Ruiz, And rightfully so, Ruiz deserves it. He's been probably the best acquisition for Peter this offseason, at least on the position player side. It's a very low bar, but he didn't need it. And overall he's probably number one or number two, right behind John King or ahead of Junking, however youone assess that. But yeah, Ruise deserves it. Conan and I do believe deserves it a lot too, because he has been good. And I look at Conan and as one of those solid players that just plays well good overall defense. He has a great arm in the outfield and he's just a consistent hitter. He doesn't need to hit twenty bombs twenty five bombs, he hits fifteen of them. You're happy with a good on base and a solid approach, which I think Conan has certainly evolved from what we saw during his Double eight a's and even early Triple A where he was striking out almost forty percent at the time. He's a much different player from that, and I think that's a really good thing and unfortunate. That's why I think teams would probably target Conen as a trade option when it comes to the deadline. Arizona needs an outfielder, Phillies need an outfielder. There's a lot of teams that need anutfield. I'm gonn come out with an article on a team that I think Conac could end up in because I think we have unfortunately reached a point where the Moons are We're looking at this from a seller's perspective. We dropped the one for Hicks. Con En is up tomorrow. So yeah, Casey, I think just would take Kona spot it. There's a trade, now there's no trade. Yeah, you gotta send down Marci if he continues to struggle, or whoever continues to struggle. At this point, they have grand Poli on the roster, and maybe they could just get rid of Polly or or Leohimanez if he continues to struggle. Maybe there's a name I'm forgetting.
Speaker 2: Oh nav Ritto.
Speaker 4: Holy shit, he's still on the roster. They could send him down. So there are guys that could send down. Yes, over a Marshie before Marsi. But if they are so adamant about keeping Leo he managed Grandpa and Brian Ovarette on the roster, then I guess Marcia would get sent down.
Speaker 5: For cases. It took you a few minutes, but you kind of got to where I was originally on this that I don't think they're necessarily related. One on one Casey coming back soon and Marci potentially going down, But without going like too granular on that stuff, because as you said, this has coming almost certainly right after the deadline. There we think the Martins are gonna make some sort of moves and they're gonna be very open minded, so we're not going to try to predict the moves and all the related stuff. But just on Marsie, the fact that it's kind of a combination of the physical and the mental and the physical is pretty obvious to me on several fronts. One, he's just not getting to his power the way that he did last year. The reason why he was such a breakup layer in the organization last season, he was all of a sudden, he's showing an average power conservatively, and he showed at the big league level, and that small sample size as well, and this years old, without even looking it up. I think he has three homers because I can remember them because every time he hit one and made me feel like, hey, you might be turning the corner, and yet he hasn't. So the power going away, the plate discipline going from being elite, that was what we were excited about as well, when I got called up elite plate disciplines going You know, Okay, that's a pretty big difference in terms of his player value. You mentioned the base running, maybe a little bit physical there, but that's almost all mental. The fact that he's just making really weird decisions of the indecisiveness he had during that play on Saturday's game really stood out in a way that this guy's just not a great frame of mind right now. And we touched on his role changed there was that game in Houston where he didn't face a riety, and then today today was another one of those days where they're facing a right handed starting pitcher and not a very good one in Walker Bueler at this stage of his career, and yet he's on the bench. I chuckled in our group chat when in the late ennings and the ninth inning he finally comes off the bench to pinch hit against Mason Miller.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's just one of those other head scratching ideas. You take this guy that is completely law as a hitter and you say you just throw them into the fire against Mason.
Speaker 2: Miller, maybe this will snap them out of it.
Speaker 5: And that did not work out either. So the combination of the physical going wrong the mental going wrong, not that he necessarily deserves against sent down. As you noted, there are guys on this roster that I think are less equipped to help this team win games in various forms. But this is about getting Marcie right for his future. This is a guy that I think they still have as a very significant part of their long term plans. You want to get them right, and in his case, I think he would benefit from some time off sometime out of the major league level. So even if they don't like any of the alternatives down there, whether it's Andrew Pintar or Matthew Etzel, I thy the other potential call ups that they can make Kemp Alderman, who I think they like a lot but obviously can't help in center field whatsoever. Like, even if there isn't a suitable replacement, if you're this is a team that's not really going to be in full contention anyway, you just got to do what's best for the player long term. And so for him, even though I'm not expecting it, I would be on board if they gave him just a little bit of a breather down in Triple A to reset things and try to salvage this season.
Speaker 3: In addition to ConA and Kevin, there's also harro Berto who could nothing.
Speaker 2: He is he could be a trade candidate as well.
Speaker 4: So if they do move in outfield, well, look at yesterday, Look at yesterday Connolly early got traded for Curtis meet. I think Eli made a great had a great tweeter he told us in the chat, Like that's that's a great way to look at it, right, So definitely something to consider there to with Bert. I know Eli had Emerson Hancock in that trade for Bert. I know certain someone named you know, I wouldn't even say. Someone on Twitter said it was a very bad trade. But whatever, we move on.
Speaker 3: No comment on that anyways, we'll go on. I agree, we'll see what they do at the deadline. I don't think we're quite near the position where we're going to guess at the moves that they make. I think we're gonna probably wait at least this Philly series before we like primely labeled the Marlins as sellers. Maybe they sweep the Phillies and Padres losing games, you know, Padres leap frogged Marlins today, and maybe the Marlins can get back some positions in the standings for the Wild Purbais, they're now three games out of We'll see, but I think this series is a make your break series as we go into previewing the division rival Philadelphia Phillies, who are doing much better under our old friend Don Manningly. So firstly, to you guys, I mean we're seeing them come back. This team, I think we all knew it was kind of too good to struggle the way that they were under Thompson and manningly has this ship kind of righted and they're doing pretty damn well as you can see right now since the last time Marlin saw them. So yeah, Phillies coming into town. First question to you, guys, Sean, I'll go to you first, is this make or break for the Marlins? Do they have to at least take two or three for them to still say they have a chance this here?
Speaker 1: Well, I thought this series was make or break a lot of sway against the Padres, But assuming that I was wrong about that, then yes, absolutely they would need to, especially with them having their three best horses going in the rotation. Didn't really get any luck you know there, unlike they've had, you know, during when they were doing well, they caught a lot of lucky breaks. This is going to be the best that the Phillies could could offer, you know, for this lineup. So if they yeah, if they lose this, then that's that's it. That's too much ground to lose. It's another team that you'll is ahead of you in the playoff race if you'd be seen if you made the postseason, and if they don't show some magic quickly, then.
Speaker 2: This is it agreed?
Speaker 3: Definitely, It's gonna take a pretty prime effort from the Marlins. They're gonna have to be at their best because this team's good. My question to you, guys, Eli, I'll go to you, what's the difference? What's been the difference other than Donnie managing?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how.
Speaker 3: Much he has just in this but after he took over, this team has been pretty pretty good. And we knew that the lineup was too good to fail for too too long of a time. So yeah, what what is the difference in your mind in this Phillies team since not too long ago this year.
Speaker 5: I'm sort of gonna reject the entire premise of this question and go lean on something I've told you guys. Disagreements are healthy, Like this is the Phillies tin that did turn things around for a significant period of time in the first half of the season, but they're kind of limping into town against Marlins. We're talking as the Sunday night baseball game gets underway. Maybe they win it and they have better vibes coming into it, but they're going to lose this series against the Yankees after losing their previous series I'll throw up the standings against look very closely at the separation. There's only four and a half games between the Marlins and the Phillies. If the Marlins shockingly swip the Phillies, that's one and a half games separating them. They've lost four in a row. They have a negative run differential on the season minus eighteen. The Marlins have a better run differential this season than the Phillies do, and most of this season at this point has now been managed under Donnie making his return. I just want to point to the one particular area where the Phillies continue to be mentally disappointing. Offensively, they are. They're really not in any better condition than the Marlins are as of late. The Phillies for the season overall, this really shocked me. They are twenty ninth in baseball in WRC plus. Their offense is the second worst offense in baseball for the whole season. This is the Kyle Schwarber and Bryce Harper offense, and outside of them, it's a lot of zeros and a lot of inconsistent bats. So it really comes down to that with this Phillies team, they've been carried. If you've been you know, trying to focus on the positives's they're pitching, Like the high end starting pitching that they have really is amazing. Zach Wheeler, Christopher Sanchez and now old friend Jesos Lozardo. That is the best one two three in baseball and I don't think you can really come up with a close second right now. So that is what has been very good for them. The Marlins are gonna have to face two of those three headed monsters. They are gonna have to face Wheeler in the opener and then Lozardo in the finale. But offensively, this is a very challenged Phillies team. This is not a deep roster whatsoever on deep lineup, and that is why I guess I'll tease it in the fact that Kevin kind of mocked Griffin Conine potentially.
Speaker 6: Going to the Phillies.
Speaker 5: The Philly could use a lot of help in that particular area where a guy like Conine would be a huge upgrade for them, even as a platoon player.
Speaker 6: Potentially they need a lot of help.
Speaker 5: Offensively, they're going to be a serious World Series contender because right now they are just lopsided in terms of talent so much concentrated on the pitching side and pretty good defensively, but hitting anyway, slize that they've continued to be pretty deficient in that area.
Speaker 4: That's one thing I wanted to note, and I wish and I was gonna tell you, like I wish ELI would just on that screenshot of the standards just go maybe one or two more slots down, because you look at the phill Is they have a negative eighteen run differential that they're expected when lost. They're supposed to be the Marlins. They're supposed to be fifty one and fifty four, so they should be kind of where the Marlins are right now, where Miami, which is barely holding on to their plus two run differential, is that fifty three and fifty three. So the Marbles should right now have lost like eleven straight and their five hundred or whatever ten straight and they're five hundred and there are somewhat in it. But yeah, I didn't actually realize how much how close the gap was between the Marls and the Phillies. And I guess Miami is a pretty decent opportunity to TVD for the third game. I'm assuming it's just gonna be Ryan Gusto starting that game. But yeah, you have Sandy in the middle game, and then you have Tyler Phillips tomorrow, who I thought Phillips was fine against the Astros after you know, the first two rough innings and then he really settled in. And I'm sure he's got some revenge on his mind after what happened in Philly the last time that it did not go very well at all. So yeah, I didn't realize how not I guess not bad the Phillies have been, just how reliant on Harper and Schwerburn. I guess that three headed monsters have been this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Catching a team that's better on the road, their pitching is what you have to get past. Agreed. You know, I think it's been up and down for them. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's been all good. I don't think it's been all bad. Yeah, the run Deer franchial will tell you that their their offense struggle. There's seven hundred tm ops, but tell you that their offense struggles, which it does. So it's kind of weird to see a Phillies team that plays in that ballpark kind of leon pitching.
Speaker 2: It's kind of what they do, and they have damn good pitching.
Speaker 3: So, like I said, they're better on the road. They're seven games better on the road, twenty nine and twenty two, I think they are on the road. So coming into Miami against the Marlins team that is down and out for lack of a better term, So I think it's going to be an interesting series. It's kind of good to what Eli you said that they come in having lost what their last four, potentially their last five if they lose this game to the Yankees.
Speaker 2: So maybe the Marlins are catching a team. Somebody's someone's got to break somewhere.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's against the Phillies, who haven't been great, especially in terms of their offense, but they kind of, like I said, lean on their pitching.
Speaker 2: How much does Donnie have to do with that? I think talent's always been there for this team.
Speaker 3: I think eventually, I mean we're halfway through the year and I'm saying, let's I think eventually their offense should come back to life given how much star power they.
Speaker 4: Have in it.
Speaker 3: And shout out to my boy gamering Knus by the way, Sid from fau Glad to see that he's with the team. Anyways, Yeah, It's kind of kind of the battle of two in the Marlins case, a bad team right now and a just so so team that just happens to be leading a division. So yeah, uh, it's it's gonna be an interesting time in Miami this this coming series. As you know that Sean the Marns, we'll get there's two big guys and then a TBD. Do we know who's gonna fill that spot or is it still kind of ups.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming it's Gust though, Yeah, gonna have either him or Bok or some sort of or docks I guess now, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That Witches White, So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm not confidence as we head into prediction time, but I will get to that here in a second.
Speaker 2: Uh, Eli, you gotta last ad to play or play the video?
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Jeske Renolds of South Florida and then Predictions friends at Jetski Rentals of South Florida. They present all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat Adventures. Jesskey Rentals Love South Florida with six ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats, something for every style and every budget ride Jetski's Riding from the Downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only to book called three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or check them out online at SF jet ski Rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code phish on first and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or online at SF Jetski Rentals dot com.
Speaker 6: That this is prodiction time. That's my prediction, but who knows?
Speaker 2: There you go for prediction time. So will the bleeding finally stop?
Speaker 3: Or will the Marlins who cringe when I say this, go to a fifteen game losing strike.
Speaker 2: It is possible in this series? Uh, what will happen? What do we think?
Speaker 3: Do the Marlins finally finally getna win? Sean Millerrick, go ahead, your prediction for the series and your MVP.
Speaker 1: I have the Marlins winning one game, So not the on to fifteen, but only one game in this series, and Kyle Schwarber will be the series MVP.
Speaker 4: Kevin streak will be snapped, but unfortunately, the Phillies take two out of three. Bryce Harper has been so good, so I'm just gonna go with them as a series MVP.
Speaker 2: Be brief on this one.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Marlins cracked through for a series win. I do think they get one game, though, So the Phillies win two out of three and Kyle Schwarber's the MVP, Eli the Founder.
Speaker 5: To wrap us up, I'll go with the Phillies winning two out of three. As I kind of elaborated, I'm not too high on them as a whole. It doesn't line up fairly well that they get two of their top three starting pitchers going in this series, and that the Marlins are still going to have to wait a little while longer to get these real reinforcements back from the IL. Maybe they surprise us and may look for a spark, do some sort of sexy roster moves to try to get the energy up, bring up a guy that's performing well in Jacksonville. But outside of that, I just think it's still kind of flat, a team that is still finding all these different ways to lose.
Speaker 6: So I think they went won, they snapped.
Speaker 5: The streak in this series, but end up still falling even further behind in the wild card race. So forst series MVP, I'll go with Trey Turner. He has been heating up quite a bit as of Ladies. They needed something for the Phillies to help out Schorber and Harper in that offense, and Turner, after getting off to a terrible start, has come around offensively to be closer to the guy that they've been counting on. So I think Trey Turner will pepper the Marlins with a lot of singles and doubles over the course of the series and to help manufacture some runs against them that will end up making the difference in this three gift set.
Speaker 3: A perplexing team coming in the Phillies, as we said with the ruond differential, but they've still gotten it done and they're still in the division race against the Braves, so obviously still in a wildcard.
Speaker 2: So again, I think they.
Speaker 3: Have too much starpower not to be really damn good down the stretch under Donnie, So yeah, that's our show for today. I think a lot of us are still doom and gloom, but maybe the Marlins surprises and get too out of three. We'll be there to cover it as we always are on the site in person in this series, see if the Marlins can finally end this horrid stretch which man, we found the positives.
Speaker 2: In it, but they're few and far between, so I think that will be our show for now.
Speaker 3: Maybe we're talking about the Marlins being pure sellers on our next show later this week.
Speaker 2: Maybe they bounce back in surprise us, and we still hold on to hope.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens after this three game set against the Phillies. We'll see guys a little bit later on the week. Thanks for all the questions. I'll the support, all the feedback on Twitter. It's fun to engage with. We appreciate everything, and we'll continue to do our best to cover the Marlins good or bad.
Speaker 2: For now. That's it. I think I speak for all of us when I say, please, please go Fish get a win.
Speaker 4: Yah