Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Drive. I am Dale LOLLI he is the Matt Williamson and it is a beautiful Wednesday here in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and happy Beast Day to you as well, the beach Day.
Speaker 2: Happy anniversary. That's anniversary as well, and his beautiful wife Nikki and Steelers have more visitors today. Yeah, let's dig right into that is heating up. We're about I think this by my reckoning, we're now had about twenty guys in, so they got ten more visits, give or take. He could have some local guys that come in as well that bump that number up even more. Okay, but but that's the is the for that, you know, rest of the season. The visits today. Two very significant players coming in today, Guys that we have drafted multiple times in the first round of our mock drafts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Derek Harmon, defensive tackle from Oregon and Omari and Hampton the running back from North Carolina. They also had Oli Gordon, running back from Oklahoma State in today.
Speaker 3: I'm not a huge Gordon fan. We'll get that one out of the way. But I do think the fact that Gordon and Hampton were here two bigger backs, and I said, they're not married to four to three, you know, accelerator, smaller guy. Although Hampton can still I mean you can scoot. He can going in the first round. Yeah, really good player. I wonder how high he'd be up on their twenty one board, you know what I mean, and probably similar to us. I would think, yeah, it'd be really useful for right now.
Speaker 2: Again, when we did our board, we had Hampton ahead of him, Hampton ahead of who or we had Harmon ahead of Hampton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so all three of the d line. But it was not they were always right right, they were close. So it's funny. I did a podcast last night just kind of doing a profile on Grant, Nolan and Harmon, and basically the whole preface of the podcast is get used to these guys. There's a really good chance this is your first pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 3: Got tons of feedback. I'm like, Matt, I don't think you're reading this right. You know, none of these guys have been in on visits, you know, I'm like, one shows up today yeah, it's not over yet. One shows up today. I didn't know that, and I have a pretty good idea that they have a pretty good hunt. Who these dudes are.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean if you think about it as well, you know they went to some of the pro days with some of these top guys as well. So you don't necessarily you mentioned this last week. If you go to their pro day, you talk to him at the Combine, you talk to him at the Senior Bowl or wherever else. You don't need to bring that guy in for a visit.
Speaker 3: You don't. But actually, as I'm sitting here thinking about it, we know Omar and Tomlin were not at Mississippi. They were not and they were not Michigan. They were not because of Rogers. You know, they almost always are coming in. Maybe they said are or not. It doesn't mean they're they're not interesting.
Speaker 2: And it goes back to what I talked Harmon to me, is the best fit if you're looking for a three to four defensive end that looks like Cam Hayward, that looks like Aaron Smith, that looks like step on to it. Yeah, yeah, some of these guys on the arm length of the arm length, the height. Everything that's Harmon.
Speaker 3: Is it is He's I like the other two slightly better because it hadn't done that. But on the the end of the podcast I record yesterday, I'm like, well, I should at least rank these three of who I like, and I went Nolan, Grant Harmon. But I'm real comfortable with all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, you mentioned The Beast came out today for Dame Bugler's Beast on the Athletic. You can always check that out on there.
Speaker 3: It's way more I mean, it's worth than it's worth your whole subscription.
Speaker 2: You can sit down and read this thing from now and till the start of the draft. Yeah, and maybe you might not be done. And what's crazy as Harmon reck number two among his defensive tech.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have not looked at the rankings yet. That's tonight's project. But but the other thing about the Beast too is his analysis is wonderful. Danes are very good, but he does all the background stuff. I say, the background is like reading its own novel, Like there's these guys different past stuff.
Speaker 2: In there that I didn't like. I was reading a Jackson Dartwallers waiting to do the show. I didn't realize Jackson Dart transferd High School three times.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: People were killing Walton Nolan for that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, that's just that's today's athlete.
Speaker 3: It is. And one thing I read just in the last twenty four hours about in Nolan is one of the character things.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: He exploded in the Mississippi practice and stormed off one time.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 3: So what he's emotional, I really don't care, you know, And that doesn't bother me one bit. Yeah it was on ESPN.
Speaker 2: That's why Mike tom Like gets paid the big bucks to deal with.
Speaker 3: That, right, you know. Okay, and a little bit emotional, that's fine. Once he got mad at practice, I don't care if he was emotional, what's that. I'm not comparing Walter Nolan to Antonio Brown, but he was emotional. There's been some steel emotional dude, James Harrison, et cetera, et cetera. Yeah, you got Cam Hayward in that room. They'll be getting fifty three new guys every year. There's gonna be some guys that have a different absolutely absolutely all three of those job.
Speaker 2: The head coaches to manage that stuff.
Speaker 3: All three of those guys to me are very, very appealing, and Harmon would be a great fit. I mean good that he was in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hampton.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when I tweeted that out earlier today that Hampton was in for a visit and somebody said, oh, he'd be a great complimentary back to Jalen Warren, I'm like, oh, no, you got that backwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's one of the few that would be the why he would be the.
Speaker 2: One Jalen would stay in his third down role right right right, and Omari and Hampton would be there getting two hundred and fifty to three hundred touch.
Speaker 3: Guy and there would be third downs where Hampton's out there too and passing situations invites or so. It's not like Warren can't handle first and ten or first, but that would be either he would.
Speaker 2: Be rush back. And yes, Jalen Warrem would be your number two.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's one of the few that I think that's definitely the case. I'm not sure about the Ohio State guys. If I would definitely say that if you use a first round pick on Hampton.
Speaker 2: That's the thing You're going to give the guy the ball, the investment, right right, So that's interesting. I don't know that he makes it past Denver at twentieth. That's gonna be a tough one. That's a tough one unless they decide to go receiver or one of those tight ends.
Speaker 3: Are there also.
Speaker 2: Them taking one of those one of those pass catchers to make life easier on.
Speaker 3: Absolutely as well. I mean they signed Ingram, but another Peyton keeps talking about a weapon, a joker, a joker and all that kind of stuff. And Hampton's not really that he catch the ball. Well yeah, but he's not Sprolls or even like Camara as a receiver. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I could see Peyton in particular wanting to recreate what he had.
Speaker 3: I would think with Kamara. But running backs a big need for them right now. The copverards pretty bad.
Speaker 2: They also took at one point, they took the Alabama running back the grinder, Oh Ingram, you're talking about the Saints took Market they took in the first round in the first round. Yeah, yeah, that's kind of the Omari and Hampton. Yeah, except Hampton has more speed, you.
Speaker 3: Say, Hampton's better receiver and even more of a big play guy. And Ingram won Heisman in his first round pick.
Speaker 2: But if you remember early on when they had when they drafted Kamara, they still had Ingram.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they went with that one two punch.
Speaker 3: Quite a bit, quite a bit. Yeah, So no, I there are some landing spots. I mean, I don't know that this is the case, but I happened to do a podcast this morning with Marcus Mosher. He was on our show one time. He locked on Cowboys. He's pretty convinced that their first round pick is going to be tet or Golden. You know, I thought Hampton could be a landing spot there. Genti goes the top ten obvious need at running back, but he thinks they would go receive.
Speaker 2: And that's why Denver could do the same thing. I just think that this year's wide receiver group isn't as talented or as deep as we've seen the last few years. Maybe they take the other one of those, Yeah, which is why the Steelers made the trade for DK medcalf Right.
Speaker 3: It's not made a pick from Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that because you have to dance with what you got, you know, And so.
Speaker 3: In the second round, backs for Denver wouldn't be bad.
Speaker 2: No, No, they take Judkins. Andy'd be perfectly happy.
Speaker 3: Johnson. I mean, yeah, there's plenty to pick from, right, So I give Hampton a forty percent chance of being there at twenty one. Yeah, but I would take the D lineman.
Speaker 2: I still think the defensive line for the same reason. I think you can get it back at some point. You got Jaleen Warren in your backfield that you you know, hey, he can touch the ball two hundred and fifty times.
Speaker 3: Since we're talking about abundance of positions on the way here, I was listening Todd McShay was on Ross Tucker's podcast, said he has thirty five d line from edge to nose, everything in between, just defensive front players. Thirty five guys with a top three round grade one out of every three picks a lot. But I get it, Yeah, I get it. I mean it's a really deep class and they're gonna go.
Speaker 2: The edges in particular. I just see edge rushers all over this draft. Me to and even like some of my a lot of my mock drafts, when we get to that sixth or seventh round and I'm like, Okay, who's the best player available, it's an edge guy. I'm like I don't know that I necessarily need him guy, but he'll play special teams. You know, maybe he's better. You know, he pushes Jeremiah Moon off the roster or makes him the fifth guy Herbig. You know, you don't know what's gonna happen there again, Wat's going into his the final. You don't know, there's some uncertainty at that position for you.
Speaker 3: Sure, right, is her Big going to sign a second contract?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Right, they made some may make him an offer he can't. I mean, he's a starting caliber player.
Speaker 3: I would have to really look at the teams though, but I definitely think to your point, there's more need across the thirty one teams an edge than the tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of teams have one, but they don't have they don't have two.
Speaker 3: Right, But you really help the Steelers at the tackle roar.
Speaker 2: Because of the way the defensive tackles can hold on into their thirties, well into their thirties.
Speaker 3: You can do more long jev Yeah, you can.
Speaker 2: You can go get a Devon Godshaw, Oh yeah, he can hold down a spot for you and you know, or you know, pick somebody.
Speaker 3: Especially with all the noses It's funny. We turned in our triple takes the tackles and noses in this tack and I guess you and I had like the same paragraph written all.
Speaker 2: I had written mine, yeah last week, and I hadn't seen yours until last night. And I'm putting it into the system and I'm like familiar, and I go up, I remind I'm like, you're kind of saying the same thing here. It's a lot of the same wording. I'm like, Matt, We've been spending way too much time the trailer. But it's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is. There are I'm I listed like seven noses. I think it'll be like the third and fourth round.
Speaker 2: There's probably ten, ten to fifteen true nose tackles in this draft that'll get picked, that are going to get picked, that could all stick in the NFL. Like they're not all going to work out, No.
Speaker 3: But twelve of them you'd like to be Steelers, you know, that would be almost guaranteed a roster spot, to be helpful. It's kind of not everyone's after a nose, right, you know.
Speaker 2: And and that's the you know, when you look at a guy like Kenneth Grant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can he be. I don't think he's nose only. I don't think he is either. But that split my tie between Nolan and Grant, and I could be convinced that Harmon is worth more than Grant. Yeah, it's what snaps? How many snaps canna play?
Speaker 2: Right? That's the thing, right, you know, it goes back to what we were talking about. You know, if you're going to talk about Graham Mason Graham like, Okay, yeah, he's the opposite. He's a talented player, Yeah, but what's his what's his ceiling in this defense?
Speaker 3: I mean he snaps the game and what are all his roles? Again, I think Grant, if you were in a true three four, I think Grant could be an end. Yeah you know, but is he going to be one of your two pass rushers in Nickel and Dime? Not for a while? I mean Cam would have to retire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he may that forward, I have a game right, right, But he's not gonna be a primary guy.
Speaker 3: To be a primary guy, he's definitely behind Bent and he's definitely behind Cam. Where Nolan would be in the mix, Harmon would be in the mix today, right, you know. And that's a lot of snaps you know where you're at the four man front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it, they don't they only play there that that three or four defense is only about twenty five percent of what you do. But you better be That's why you better be able to do something else. I suppose just being a no's that's why if I'm taking just a guy who's a pure nose, unless it's just a value that I can't you know, I think Alfred Collins can rush the passer.
Speaker 3: Right, I think Collins and grand I think.
Speaker 2: Tyler has some has some pass rush potential potential. Yeah, I mean, but if there are a true nose, you know, and you look at some of these guys are like zero career sacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, and you mentioned if we would name you throughout there was a thrower like Lynnvell, Joseph, you can Godshaw. Yeah. I mean, I can get a plugger, pure run stuff or a handvil in the middle of the defense, and that's that's not a hard thing to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys hang again, they can play to their forty.
Speaker 3: But I still like the idea of Nolan and Nolan and Nolan or Harmon or Grant. But and then fourth round Caldwell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know something like that.
Speaker 3: I mean he could be like a second round player, I mean West or Caldwell. But you're gonnave him the fourth it's yere.
Speaker 2: Right, jump on it because of the way that the draft falls. But it's it's uh yeah, three interesting, well, two very interesting guys and a third you know, interesting because he's a bigger back than what they've been bringing in.
Speaker 3: But again, I think some pigeon holed on this step.
Speaker 2: I think some of that goes in into you know, what's available in the draft. You know there are four or five bigger backs. I haven't but the majority of them are those two hundred and five to two hundred and ten pounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those guys just I mean call games more about space. Yeah, I mean, it's it's easier to get guys in space and that type of thing. And I sold Gordon short, and frankly, i've sold him short every step of the process. I haven't been really impressed.
Speaker 2: He was really good two years ago.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say, though, Like if you look at the way too early mock drafts, it was him and Hampton and Judkins as number two behind genty. You know, like depending who you liked. I mean, so he didn't have a great year. Is there injuries I don't know about? Or I mean maybe maybe that's why he's in. They're asking them all these questions, you know, like can we get the two year ago version in the fifth round? Well, now I'm interesting, Yeah, right right.
Speaker 2: So interesting and we'll see how this whole thing plays out here in a couple of weeks. But he is Matt Williamson. I am Dale LOLLI you're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. We'll be back with more right after.
Speaker 1: This at He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four CE and home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Dun dunn dun dunt dun dunt, dun't du Welcome back to the Drive. I am Dale Lolly. He is Matt Williamson. And that music use you in our visitors. There's a disturbance in the forest as the Dean of Doom, the Lord of Living in his sphears, and the Emperor of Steelers football coverage. Bob Labriola joins us here on the Justin Miller Hotline. How you doing labs pretty good.
Speaker 3: Guys, are a fantasy fantastic bob.
Speaker 2: But we're now two weeks out from the draft. Are you starting to feel the buzz or you've ready to for this whole thing.
Speaker 3: To be over?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I'm looking forward to it. I always do. You know, I don't know that I have a feel for how it's going to go, you know, starting with you know who the Steelers are going to pick twenty first, and then what's going to happen in the first twenty picks. You know, I can't remember the last time there was a draft where there wasn't a you know, oh my god pick you know, at close to the top of the first round. And you know, so again, like I said, it's look forward to it. I want to see how it unfolds, hoping for the best, and you know, I just hope that we don't set any records for in terms of length, you know, four hours and thirty minutes, you know those kind of things. Let me ask you, guys, you think there's gonna be a lot of trades in the first round.
Speaker 2: You know, I was just writing about that last night bomb for my five for Friday. Little side note there this is the latest that we've gone into or the closest that we've gotten to a draft without with all the teams still owning their own spots since nineteen ninety three. And so I went back and looked at that ninety three draft. Things changed five days before the draft because Joe Montana got traded to the Kansas City Chiefs and they that was the first round draft pick, so that that messed up the order a little bit, But there were still eleven draft picks traded in the first round, including that that Montana, So there was still some movement because you know, you could, as much as you want to talk about, you know, best player available and all that stuff, teams still draft for need and it's always the best player available at any position of need, of course, and so you know, if you see a run on a certain position and you have a guy that's rated that highly, maybe a move.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Maybe teams are also waiting to make sure that the guy that they're targeting in their trade up is there for them, yeah, before they make any deals, because I mean you could think, uh, you know, I'm going to trade up to the third spot to the Giants spot, and I'll get player X but I mean that doesn't mean that he's not picked first or somebody doesn't even even if you know what are going to do. Yeah, somebody could jump into that spot. So yeah, I you know, I think the teams are in terms of maybe waiting to pull the trigger on some of these trades. Teams are are being you know, purposeful, and you know they want who they want maybe before they make a trade, and they want to make sure he's there.
Speaker 3: I think another aspect of it is the salary cap keeps going up and the league is so profitable right now that the Titans aren't up against it and have to trade AJ Brown or the Chiefs aren't trading Tyreek Hill. You know, like there weren't a lot of big time players to trade your first round pick for because these teams have the money to pay them now.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the other you know part of that is, you know the cap going up is that we didn't see any big names cut on March, you know, opening of the league year day.
Speaker 3: A lot of times you'll see let's have Rogers character. I don't know if you've heard about that.
Speaker 4: You think that move was was salary cap or performance?
Speaker 3: I think it's all the above.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, but yeah, I don't think that the Jets did that strictly to you know, to become cap compliant, No, no.
Speaker 3: Different.
Speaker 4: I was speaking specifically of those big cap cut, giant cut. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't have to see any of that this year. And you saw a lot of teams re sign their own, you know, in the hours before free agency began, in a lot of money floating around out there, which is why to me, Bob, and you know, this wasn't a great free agent crop. It just wasn't ain't going to get worse and worse because teams can keep them right. But that's why I think, and we'll see if you agree with me on this one. Maybe the most significant move that was made of a guy changing teams and a weapon, a skill position player was the Steelers acquiring DK Metcalf.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got to be on it. That was a big move, certainly, you know, marquee kind of it was a trade, you know, and then the big contract came right on the heels of that. But I have to be honest, I'm not well versed enough in what was going on league wide to certainly, you know, say unequivocally that that was the you know, top of the charts move of this free agency, but certainly you know it was a significant one historically in terms of the Steelers franchise in that you know, the amount of money that you know, uh closely followed the trade you know, to get DK Metcalf extended. But yeah, maybe, uh, you know, I just think that you know, with the with the cap going up continuously, teams are also able. You know, you can franchise guys without you know, a lot of pain because when you franchise tag a guy, you know, if he would show up the you know, fifteen minutes after you and uh, you know, the franchise tag is applied and sign that that's guaranteed money and it goes right on your yes. So you know, the T Higgins thing is an example. You know, I don't think the Bengals had much financial fear or terms well, let me say this salary cap financial fear and making that move and tagging him and then you know, bought him some time and then they worked out the you know, the long term deals with him and Jamar Chase to keep Joe Burrow happy, which you know, I think is a smart move by the Bengals because to me, he is. You know, I've told you guys this before. I I without doubt he's. In my opinion, he's the best quarterback in the AFC North. And you know, if I had my pick of anyone in the a f C, I'd take him. Now. I'm not gonna I'm not saying at the rundown Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. I'm just saying my personal likes. I like the way he plays, I like the way he.
Speaker 2: Leaves, and you take him over the guy in Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Might me personally. Yes, I'm not a big you know, Jake from State Farm. He winds too much for me. And I'm not saying he's not a great player, because he is. And I just I just like Burrow. You know, if it was my team, I owned the franchise, or I was the head coach, or you know whatever. I just like the way he he plays and he leads. He seems to be a fairly low maintenance superstar at that position too, which you know is not necessarily the norm anywhere anymore either.
Speaker 3: So Labs, the Steelers had a Mary in Hampton And today for a visit. Widely regarded first round pick probably running back North Carolina and what looks like a really really stacked running back class. How much are you prioritize in that position for the Steelers Thursday, Friday, Saturday Draft.
Speaker 4: Well, I think they need to get one for sure. Yeah, And I don't know that you know, if here's the thing, If if you're going to pick a running back in the first round, I don't think you open the season with Jalen Warren as the starter, right, I mean, I don't think that that's what you would want to do. If you are, if you are content to open the season with Jalen Warren as the starter, I think you can get yourself a running back later than the twenty first overall pick, and you know, do yourself very well at that position. So you know, that's the thing. I mean, the Steelers tendered him as a restricted free agent with a second round number, meaning if you know, he would present an offer sheet and the Steelers decided not to match, they would get a second round pick. And I think that, you know, more significant than that way of looking at it is. I don't think there's any teams that are going to go out there and think what we're I'm willing to give up a second round pick for Jalen Warren, right, not in this like you were just Matt, you were just talking about the depth and the talent at this at that position in this upcoming draft.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's not going anywhere, right.
Speaker 4: So, like I said, I think you've seen from the Steelers standpoint, you've seen things from Jalen Warren in terms of his ability to run the ball. He's he's a good enough receiver, a very willing and effective blocker. And so you know, again, I don't That's the reason I don't pick up running back number one because I think that I like him as a player and I'm not going to relegate him to you know, backup status by picking a running back number one.
Speaker 2: Not now anyway, Yeah, I hear you with that. I you know, the thing that gets me is a lot of people because he wasn't as big as Naujie Harris. Look at Jaylen Warren. Well, he's a little back. He's two hundred and fifteen and twenty pounds. He's not a small running back by by any standard. He's short, but he's not small.
Speaker 3: He doesn't go down easily, right, And.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know that it's necessary, you know, Okay, Naugy Harris was was bigger, so and I'm just you know, playing along along this train of thought. That doesn't mean that you have to pack everybody in, you know, tight and in short yardage situations either. I mean a lot of times guys are most effective in short yardage when you spread the defense out and let him pick his pick his spot, give him the ball and let him you know, run the daylight those speak or you know whatever, you know. I just I don't know what the size factor how that's important necessarily, Uh, with the exception of his durability, uh, you know, And I don't think that there's any evidence that Jalen Warren is a China doll. He's not a you know, a guy who's often injured. And as I said, he's not afraid to step up and stick his face in the chest of a blitzing linebacker if that's necessary, which I admire. So yeah, I don't know what the size factor has to do with it. If if you're asking me, you know, if you're gonna look for a running back based on a specific skill speed, I'd go for that. You want to add a fast, breakaway big play kind of guy with speed. That to me is a you know something I'd be willing to entertain. I'm not saying I'm still not saying I'm doing that first round. But in terms of a you know, a specific that you don't have at that position speed, I don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: There's lots of guys in This was the fastest running back group in Combine history this year. Their average forty time was four four seven.
Speaker 3: Several of them have been in town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys can all fly. I mean, the the outliers are the four six.
Speaker 4: Guys, and that's that's nice. But playing speed and track speed are sometimes two different things. So I hear you, But I'm talking about you know, if you want to add something that you don't have to me, it would be someone who can be a big play running back based on using his speed hit a seam. Willie parkersh kind of guy. So that's the way I look at that position.
Speaker 3: So, Labs, I assume you're in the loop about Pat McAfee's got a show tonight. We think we got any any news bruin for on a quarterback tonight? Big news coming.
Speaker 4: Not a McAfee fan, I mean God bless him, uh for turning.
Speaker 3: You know, illustrious career, right is is uh you know.
Speaker 4: Uh run of the mill talk show into a multi million dollar enterprise.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what we're doing here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, If you guys were making that kind of cash, you would be wasting your time talking to me. But uh, you know, and he's a punter, for goodness sakes. I mean, is there a most is there a more non descript you know, member of a fifty three man ross?
Speaker 2: Yes, the long snapper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, but at least yeah, okay, I'll give you that. I'll give you that. But anyway, you know, that was always my theory about why Bill Cower hated punters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should be they should they should never be seen or heard because if you see him, you're giving the ball up. And if you hear any thing from him, I don't want to hear anything from the punter.
Speaker 4: Right. Inherently, when you have to use the punter, it signals some sort of failure. Yes, you know, because like you said, you're giving the ball up, and I would imagine that honks off, you know, head coach, just you know, as a matter of course, and as you just mentioned if you have to hear from him or he shanks it or you know, kicks it through the end zone, or you know, does something that you would rather he didn't he didn't do in that particular circumstance, And yeah, I think that that would just kind of fan the flames of discontent sort.
Speaker 2: Of speak bob By, one last thing for you. We've been talking a lot this week about arm length and things of that nature when as it pertains to particularly the defensive lineman, because that's what you know, we're kind of centered in on here in recent weeks, and we did our top twenty one players for the Steelers because they have twenty one, they're picking it twenty one one, and so we had our twenty one players that we would take at twenty one if we were drafting for the Steelers, and we didn't include Mason Graham from Michigan, who is pretty much the consensus number one defensive tackle in this draft, because he has thirty two inch arms and he's not a nose tackle and he's probably too he doesn't have the length to play defensive end in the Steelers three four defense, and we've got a lot of pushback on that, but I'm sticking to my guns on this. You know, you've got to be big enough to ride the ride. If you're gonna be a three to four defensive end in this defense, you gotta I'm not saying you have to look like step on to it, but it's sure as hell doesn't hurt.
Speaker 3: It'd be nice to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I'm not going to disagree. I will be honest, though I don't know nearly enough about you know, the sensive line technique and the way what the Steelers requires a technique from their defensive lineman to make any judgment on arm length. I you know, I'm not trying to duct the question. I'm just I'm gonna plead ignorance because I don't know what that means. What I have said, though, I believe that you cannot have a defensive lineman who is one dimensional anymore, because if he can't stop the run when he's on the field, that's what the offense will do. If he can't rush the passer when he's on the field, that's what the team is the offense is going to do. And there are no more rules about when you run the ball, what areas of the field you run the ball, what downs you run the ball. That doesn't exist anymore. You know, teams are not afraid start first and ten at their own one yard line. They'll come mount and spread you out and throw the ball over the field. Whereas you know, when Casey Anton was a player, you know you pretty much could depend on something off tackle. So as I said that that those rules are gone, teams offenses have no no shame, no conscious conscience about doing things outside the old traditional you know, mindset. And so I just think that if you're gonna spend, if you're looking for top of the depth chart defensive lineman, now they have to be able to do both, because you cannot be running them on and off the field. Uh, in situations because even if you could do that, even if the offense will allow you to do that by not using pace, they're they're just not They're not going to cooperate with their play calls.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the Aaron Rodgers of the world will make sure that guy stays on the field. That's what they do.
Speaker 4: Or you know, you just don't.
Speaker 3: We're never gets on right, never gets on exactly, Bob.
Speaker 2: We will let you go get back to your beautiful day of stewing and doing whatever it is you're doing. A beautiful day outside, you should probably get outside and not shovel snow.
Speaker 4: Cut the grass.
Speaker 2: Now, you gotta cut the grass.
Speaker 3: There cuts coming soon.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we don't make Marianne do any of this stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's there's there's services.
Speaker 2: For that kind of there you go, that makes more sense. Our guest has been Bob Larabiola, editor of Steeler's Digest and Steelers dot Com, The Dean of Doom, the Lord of living in his fears, the Emperor of Steeler's coverage. I'm Dale Lollie. He is Matt Williamson, and this is the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio on Steelers Audio Network. We will be back with more right after this.
Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation.
Speaker 2: Radio, and welcome back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and uh well again a beautiful Wednesday here in Pittsburgh. We just said a visit from the Emperor, and uh can I call him the emperor because that was Chuck Knowles. Yeah, I think you're infringing there a little bit. Myron came up with that emperor though. If you're going to talk about you know, Bob, and Bob's not Vader, Bob's the emperor, right, the lightning shooting out of his fingers.
Speaker 3: No question, no question. You have the draft, the ring, the string. He's the one, the brain's behind the operation.
Speaker 2: That's what Bob is. Matt Jaylen Milroe and Tyler Shuck visited the Browns yesterday.
Speaker 3: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: And it's looking more and more like Travis Hunter is going to go number two. And I think it's because of the foot issue with Carter.
Speaker 3: I just think when you watch Hunter, he just blows me away as a prospect on both sides of the ball. I mean, I think he's clearly the best receiver, clearly the best corner. I mean, I don't know if he's the best.
Speaker 2: It's a bad it's not a great receiver class, No it's not. But I mean he does a lot of good things as a receiver, and I get it. But if he were a receiver in last year's draft, receiver only, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think he goes ahead of the top two or two guys. Maybe a doonsa I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he goes ahead of a done Jay.
Speaker 3: He's got so much ability, He's just not a very developed route runner.
Speaker 2: The route running, I don't know how fast he is because he's again he's one of these guys that didn't run.
Speaker 3: I'm the slightest bit worried about that.
Speaker 2: I think he can run. Yeah, and you know, you see a lot of the Shador Sanders stuff, and there's several instances where he's just back there and I'm just gonna throw it up for Travis and let him go. Yeah, make an adjustment and.
Speaker 3: Bills that offense out a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I get it. I think he's I think he's a very good player. But again, it just to me, it speaks to this overall draft that do.
Speaker 3: You think the Browns where they're sitting are definitely gonna draft one. I mean, if it's Pickett Cousins, I mean, if they have Cousins on the back burner, the Schucker Milroe make a lot of sense for them in round two. Maybe not even the top a round two, but they think they have I mean, I know they have plenty of other picks.
Speaker 2: I think they would have to get. I don't know. I mean, I don't you know, know enough about what they want to do in terms of you know, do they think Pickett can be a long term answer?
Speaker 3: I bet not.
Speaker 2: I bet not too.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they're happy to give.
Speaker 2: It to him because I really don't have anybody right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would only go to Cousins if they don't draft one.
Speaker 2: You know the question with Cousins, if you make a deal with for him, how much of the contract are you going to have to pick up? Yeah, if you get shut out, you don't have another quarterback on your roster. If it's just pick it yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, now the Falcons are going to see that, sure, and they're going to say, well, well you got to pick it all, you gotta take it all.
Speaker 3: I mean, Atlanta picked up that bonus on Cousins. I still think he might get cut. That's why they've been linked is the Wilson Well.
Speaker 2: I think they've already told him, not that you're not coming to any.
Speaker 3: OTAs he said, he's gonna wave his trade con no trade claws, there's no trade clause after the first round. He doesn't want to go to another team. It just took one in the first round and.
Speaker 2: I get that. Yeah, he just had that happen to him.
Speaker 3: He just went through that. Yeah, I mean, I just had a huge deal with Atlanta and he took one in the first round.
Speaker 2: So would they would? If you're the Browns, you know, and you've got that pick at the top of round too, you're going to is that a consideration you're trading that pick for.
Speaker 3: I think it's much more likely that you take that pick and you go try to get Darter Sanders, That's the thing. Yeah, I mean as opposed to taking Shocker Milroe. I mean, Shuck and Milroe make a lot more sense for the Steelers to be than the Browns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want the developmental guy as opposed to I mean, if the Browns do go that route, yeah, yeah, that means Kenny Pickett's going to be their starter if.
Speaker 3: They were to go Shuck or Milroy. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean unless one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Could be comfortable starting in dart weekles.
Speaker 2: It would have to It would have to also almost be a Russell Wilson situation with the Seahawks where he just comes in and blows you away and say, Okay, we're going to start the kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, right as opposed to pick it right, it's a little sticky right now. I mean I would take Hunter two at number two, just I think he's a rare dude. I would not take Sanders. I don't think they're close in terms of just he's like a second overall pick. I mean, there's a lot of players in between them and this draft.
Speaker 2: And we'll talk more about him tomorrow, assuming his visit is announced, a visit Steelers actually takes place.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to come to.
Speaker 2: He's supposed to come tomorrow to the Steelers, Okay, okay, So we'll talk more about that then. But it's it's you know, when when the other teams in the division are trying talking quarterback here, it becomes noteworthy.
Speaker 3: No, no question about it, no question about it. And I do think there's a lot of pressure from ownership to find the next quarterback in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Well, the pressure from ownership was to go get to Shaun Watson and how did that work out?
Speaker 4: Right? Right?
Speaker 3: And that's been part of the problem every step of the way.
Speaker 2: Is all these that to me is kind of why cousins to them doesn't make a lot of sense. You're already on the hook for a whole bunch of money at the quarterback position. You need to get cheaper there.
Speaker 3: The beauty of it is why they were linked together originally was if Cousins gets cut, well then you're not on the book at all. You get to Wilson and.
Speaker 2: He's worked with Stefanski and all right stuff. But if you got to take you got to take on eighty percent of the contract.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it's twenty million, it's two more than they got.
Speaker 2: You're going to spend one hundred million dollars on your courtroom, right for mid level quarterback play.
Speaker 3: What's the ideal situation if you're them, take Hunter, trade the twenty and take Sanders and don't get involved with Cousins. Yeah, Pickett and Sanders.
Speaker 2: Or maybe you like Dart better and you trade up to twenty five and go get Yeah, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 3: I would bet that's their ideal situation.
Speaker 2: Where do you stay where you're at? And if if those guys are gone and you know you got to take shuck, okay.
Speaker 3: Just ignore Cousins altogether. Yeah, and just picket and shucked Pickett and mill Roe, something like that. I don't think that's ideal I don't think that's ideal for this.
Speaker 2: Don't help you win. If you're Stefanski, You're like, I might get fired at the end of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you just had this long conversation with Miles Garrett about how we're in we got to play. Yeah, yeah, we're gonna win this year. We'll be competitive. Cousins is really the only guy that accomplishes that. The best you can be competitive with Kenny Pickett. Yeah, yeah, the Steelers showed that. But you have to play a certain way. The D would have to be really, really good. Yeah, which maybe I would even consider Carter. Well, I wouldn't die like Hunter better, but the D could be really good with Carter, but Tom.
Speaker 2: Carter standing out for them for what they have on defense, Carter would make more sense than.
Speaker 3: Hunter, agreed. I mean, their corner positions pretty.
Speaker 2: Strong, right, and they've got money tied up in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now Newsom's up after the year. Would he go for a fourth round pick somewhere?
Speaker 2: But you know, what are you gonna do? Move Hunter into the slot? You still don't have a slot.
Speaker 3: You still have a slot, and you've been an issue for them for a while. Yeah, I mean the guys at the top of the draft aren't perfect for their needs for being the number two pack.
Speaker 2: If you take you're gonna make him. You're going to say, Okay, your primary position is wide receiver and you're gonna do some cornerback stuff because we're set at cornerback. I mean, you may be better eventually than some of these guys, and maybe you're better right now, but we're gonna have to trade one of these guys.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say too, is I would assume they'll ask Hunter to be receiver first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of like New England.
Speaker 3: New England definitely was, Yeah, I mean, because their receiver is so bad. At least they have Judy and you know it's still their receivers aren't great.
Speaker 2: But he's still insistent that he wants to be both right now. He wants he wants Roger Goodell when he's drafted to announce him as a wide receiver cornerback.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some ego going on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's earned it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a good player, but he's I get no problem with ask that.
Speaker 4: It makes me.
Speaker 2: It also makes me wonder what he's gonna want paid in a few years.
Speaker 3: Well, that's gonna be unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And to me, if he hits, is he going to make Mahomes money?
Speaker 2: And it's just there's no nobody has done that. No, like guys have dabbled in this, dabbled in that, but they've never been full time or.
Speaker 3: Even two thirds you know, right, yeah, oh, I know. I can't wait to see how it plays out. I'm so intrigued with them.
Speaker 2: And you may be you know, maybe you do it as a you know, twenty one year old, that doesn't mean you're gonna be able to do it as a twenty five year old, a twenty six year old, a twenty seven year old. And the other problem that arises is how do I build my roster with that? Because if he gets hurt, I'm losing two positions.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, right, I mean it's very dependent on it's why so valuable, but it's.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why the NFL doesn't ask guys to play two ways anymore.
Speaker 3: Sure, And a lot of it's even just the meeting room stuff. Yeah, I mean, just knowing everything you.
Speaker 2: Need rosters expanded. Guy started specializing because you don't, you know, we haven't had a two way, a true two way player in almost fifty years.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, and over fifty years, I'm really intrigued how it works out. I mean, again, what if you just tweak an ankle, do you have the special that week? Are you only going to be one side of the other or you know, or if.
Speaker 2: You tweak the ankle and you're out for both positions? Now like, yeah, I'm losing two starters with one guy.
Speaker 3: With one guy, and I do I have reasonable backups at both spots? I don't know. Again, I can't wait to see how it works. I think he could really be a special player. But the other thing, I think Dion came out and said this too. He's like, it's harder to do it to college because there's more snaps played and there's a lot more hurry up there. There's a lot of long commercial breaks.
Speaker 2: I think it's easier because you're not asked to do as much coverage wise, the routes are say mentally, it's not the same. You're not run out as many routes and tackling.
Speaker 3: Derrick Henry either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think Dion flat out told him, if you don't get super involved in the run game, so be it. But just smart for Colorado, right right, But that's not gonna fly at the NFL level.
Speaker 2: No teams will just going to run at them, right Yeah. So anyways, let's get to a break that's going to do it for our number one of the drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. Matt and I will be back with our number two right after this