Speaker 1: Mandra, Do you know what I need? I need to walk in these streets in my BA swag. You know what I'm really looking forward to? First of all, be your own Brown Boost. What an awesome phrase. I cannot wait to wear that on my chest like Superman. And what I'm really excited for, though, is I am a sweatshirt and like hoodie girl. So the classic Brown Ambition logo sweatshirt has my name all over it. But where can I go? Where can I find it?
Speaker 2: I was hoping you would ask Young Tiffany. Tiffany, get your Brown Ambition swag at Brown Ambitionstore dot com. Five years in the game, we finally have merch for you guys. So get your Brown Ambition hoodie, your Brown Ambition crew neck tea, get a onesie for your littles. We got toddler teas. Oh my goodness, there's something for everyone. Be your own Brown Boost T shirt for sure. We have a Brown Ambition mug, which my family is most excited about. I had to do the fifteen out size for my big sister because she drinks coffee Like nobody's business.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I'm the budget nesh to write any special offer.
Speaker 2: I'm also very glad you asked that question, Tiffany. Yes, with Brown Ambition fifteen, that's promo code Brown Ambition fifteen all one word, you can get fifteen percent off your order at Brown ambitionstore dot com.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see y'all in these BA streets repping BA bam with your BA swag.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey hey.
Speaker 1: We're back, We're black, We're Brown Ambition.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey came to eat you a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, when you're like so tired, you're like delirious. So that's where I am right now. I am in delirium. It's been a very big day.
Speaker 2: That is a feeling that I think for sure I know deeply what's going on. A tour, A tour EXTRAORDINAI well said, Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Today's a Today was a good day. Well, no, today I dropped the cover. So I don't know if I mentioned it on BA with BA fan. But I've been writing a book for the last I don't even know what is it, like, you know, since twenty twenty, so how many twenty years? Because twenty years fits into this twenty year? Well, yeah, I signed a big book deal with Penguin Random House earlier this year, and I got to writing, and I already had an idea of something that I call financial holeness. It's like these ten key components that you need to achieve, almost like financial well, I call it financial holeness. Like so it's like it helps you to live your better life, achieve your biggest goals, and to really live a richer life. Because I feel like financial freedom is is a big fat lie. And I never felt comfortable preaching financial freedom to my dream catchers because I knew damn well that most people were not going to attain financial freedom, which most people define as having enough money. Well, I don't have to work right now, you know, so they don't even I don't think people think of like retirement as financial freedom. They think on financial freedom as like a pile of money. I ain't got to work. I'm thirty, you know. And that's cool for some people. But I felt like it felt exclusive and elusive, and so I came up with financial wholeness, which everyone can achieve, whether you're a mechanic, a doctor, a teacher, NBA player, That it's ten components that you just have to get under control and you can be okay financially. And so I wrote a book about it called Get Good with Money. I posted it on my socials. You're my ig. You should see it today. I mean it'll be up there, like you know, indefinitely. I'm just really proud of it, Mandra and today it just oh so. What I'm really proud of too, is that I created a quiz because some people are like, well, how do I know what percentage of financial holeness? I am, so I created this quiz where you take it. It's two minutes, ten questions, and by the end you will know what percentage of financial hollness You've already accomplished. And I sent you like a little freebe a checklist to see like what you have left to do? And then you know in March twenty twenty one when the book comes out, I can help you on that journey if you want to take that.
Speaker 2: Can your quiz? Tell me what wholeness means? From my horoscope, we should align with quizes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I'm like, what Potato are you? I always take those bud Fees quiz. It's like what Disney Princess are you? If you like this house? But if you want to take the quiz. The book is called Get Good with Money and so the website is GGW money dot com forget Good with GGW money dot com. Take the two minute quiz and honestly tweet us like or igs, I would love to know your financial homeless percentage. Screenshot it, share it, tag us ba podcket, What are we on?
Speaker 2: I do again? Just look up Round Ambition Brown Ambition podcast on ID and Man's Present. But I just hear the racket happening.
Speaker 1: Upstairs on the Bunjanisa and Mandy's Mandy Money. So tag us we would love to see we're percentage of financial homeless that you've achieved. But when I tell you the level of you know how you just work so hard. I feel like it's like the night of the play. You know, you've worked for months and months and months and months and and costume and makeup and this and that and today is showtime, and so I'm just well, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I mean, you talked about this, you know, off air, but it definitely seemed like such a labor of love. And I'm so proud of you and I'm happy for this to be out in the world. When does it come out again? Is it next? Bring?
Speaker 1: So it comes out March twenty twenty one, the end of March twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to get that book and my vaccine in the same shopping trip. That's my plan. They're both supposed to come out in the spring. Yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: I think that, like you say, wait, you say you're going to get that book in your vaccine.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wondered if you caught that. Wasn't that funny? I was gonna be like Kelly, I made a joke and tippy four minute mark? Can you cut that out so people don't hitty me?
Speaker 1: No? Are you only got to get vaccine? I'm nervous?
Speaker 2: Oh up at the vaccine? I mean I I'll I'll take Kamala Harris's line from the vice presidential debate when she said, you know, if the scientists say it's okay, then I'll take it. We did have another what was it moderna today, and already Pfizer have released preliminary results from their trials and they've been over ninety percent successful. And all of the podcasts that I've listened to, news and politics podcasts that have had scientists, you know, or political or like scientific reporters talking about it have all been like blown away by that figure ninety percent. So I mean it sounds pretty good. But even if you want to be first, I don't think you will be unless you are like a first line you know, like a nurse or someone operating, you know, on the front lines, as they say, of the pandemic. I mean I would like to get one, or at least I'm definitely open to it. Yeah, I believe in science, i'd be down. Plus by then we'll have a different president and I'll trust some stuff again.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no joke though. I mean, well, I don't want to take the shine away from none of your book, girl.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you I am just one of those days where we put in so much work. The team and I were scrambled like up until the last minute, like when you guys take the quiz, if you just knew how much work and went into it, because I really wanted to give people like a real scope of like what is it that you need to do as an adult to be okay? You know? And so I mean I must have rewrote that quiz like fifty eleven times. It was like vetted by everyone on the team and taken again and again and again and again and again Andy, where did it? Just the level of work that we put in. And then today, you know, like when it's showtime Synergy the it's like everyone's doing even more work. So I and tapped out, but I got just random aside. Someone texts me and said, Tiffany, you know you I had an awakening. I heard what you said about, you know, looking for your therapists using a therapist finder, and it just it hit me and I realized, like, you know, I've been avoiding finding a therapist, and I too don't experience super highs or super lows due to some trauma, and I want to boom beyond it. And I just thought like that's so beautiful and so and then the therapist finder, Stephanie, reached out. She's like, oh my gosh, my friend told me that, you know, you talked about me on your podcast, and just like thank you so much. And it was just like such a lovey dovey day. And remember I talked about my friend Christina Aguilera and you were like, oh, her name right, But I don't know if the young woman that is a you know, the the paralegal that was mistreated where she was. Christina was like, girl, tell her to reach out to me. So paralegal, who set your question? And we answered it. Christina is like, yo, let me help you. She is wide open to help. So isn't that awesome news?
Speaker 2: That was a lot. Well, let's see so one last week's show, just to just to I'm following the thread, but I'm trying to help yell out. It's been a week.
Speaker 1: But I'm manic right now, so my bad.
Speaker 2: It's okay. I am here to fill in the gaps there. Yeah. So last week we had a question from listener Sandra, and we actually got so basically, her issue was that she had been let go from her law firm after just a couple of weeks and was asking and really felt like she was discriminated against because she was black. She's from Saint Louis, Missouri, and she was basically asking like, if you know anybody who needs a paralegal or something like that in my area, let us know. And I'm glad that you know your friend reached out, Tiff, because we also got i think two or three two or three messages from other listeners offering to help Sandra, which is not her real name, I think we changed it for the show. So if you're listening, Sandra, you know, you know what your real name is, and hit us up on Brown Ambitions, Instagram and the DMS, and I will try to connect everybody and shout out to our listeners for being so awesome and help y. Yeah, well that's beautiful. I do feel like they're thinking about spring, like thinking about March. I'm just like yes, because you know, it's getting dark at like four fifteen pm here now, and winter is coming and damn, what is going on with this pandemic? Like I just it's it's pretty scary. I mean, and I feel like we have a bit of a responsibility. You know, the majority of our audience, I know are you know, our black women, and this this disease is truly coming for black and brown communities. So I just want to say, you know, when it comes to the holidays and you know, what's this time with family that I know, you know, this is the time we won't want to gather and be together. If there's any way you can scale back your holiday plans. Personally, I'm walking the I'm walking the walk. My my little brother who was so excited to come for Thanksgiving, which is also falling on Rio's first birthday. He's canceled his trip. My mom was supposed to come for two weeks. She tries to come here every few months to help. She's canceling her trip, and his first birthday is going to be it's I'm still gonna make it fun. We're gonna get balloons and I'm gonna make a cake and we'll have just our you know, maybe four relatives, grandparents, and then his uncle and aunt here with us. They're living with us, they're quarantine with us anyway. But anyway, I just just if you're thinking about it, don't be just just cancel or down you know, downsize your your gathering, because this is really going to make her break. I think the next few months and you know, really lives are at stake, and it's getting really scary. It is getting really scary, truly.
Speaker 1: I mean a friend of mine had it really really bad where she was texting me like, I don't know if I'm going to make it my girl, please don't see that she had COVID really bad, and so she thinks she got it from her best friend that had gotten to that went to a restaurant because she my friend actually doesn't go anywhere. You know, she's been really careful at home, but her best friend came to visit her, and her best friend had been to a restaurant before, you know, before then she thinks that that's where she got it from. But she was really scared, and honestly, there were there were for for a good week and a half, two weeks. We couldn't even like I would call and she's like, I can't speak because that's how much she was coughing and had a hard time breathing. You know, she's young, and so I'm not gonna lie. I was terrified, Like.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, I'm like good because she's got a.
Speaker 1: Child and a husband, and it just really hit home because I've had a couple of friends I've had it, but for sure, she was the one that I was most worried about because for her not to be able to speak because of the coughing and her inability to breathe was like terrifying. And so yeah, I called my mom and I said, what are we gonna do for Thanksgiving? She said, not a damn thing. She's like, she said, I love y'all. But I'm gonna be right here in this house. And I said, you know what, I understand honestly because my dad is sex seventy seven. You know, my mom is in her late sixties, and she's just like, it's just not worth it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Of course we're gonna miss you guys, but we want to be able to see you like a vengance. So yeah, like so my husband, honestly, we're just gonna it's just gonna be us in the house and whatever. You know, stovetopped stuff.
Speaker 2: Again, take that.
Speaker 1: I mean you can get it catered. Yeah, yeah, I probably still am because you know, youdad, can you make a dinner for three? You know, support your.
Speaker 2: Local restaurants and order in if you you know, that's not a because of course, the other side of this is the fact that restaurants and these businesses are really hurting right now. But I just like, lives are what's really important, and it's a damn shame that, you know, our government can't get it back together and put together another stimulus package. So I know that people will hurt in other ways, but yeah, I'm glad to hear that you'll you're scaling back things too. M hm.
Speaker 1: Remember what was the last time I had a huge Thanksgiving? First Thanksgiving at the house, it was like forty people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean, aren't you glad you celebrated when you had the chance. Yes, That's how I feel about everything I did last year. I'm like, damn, I'm glad I had a big baby shower party because that was the last time I had a party. Yeah. Well, we hope you guys are staying safe and well. If you have any you know, tips or stories on how you've made your virtual celebrations this past year fun and enjoyable, let me know, because I'm trying to. I really want to make his first birthday because I know what means so much to my you know, he's the first grandchild for all of my all of our parents, and the first niece and nephew for my siblings and every niece and nephew. What first nephew for my siblings. So, if y'all have any tips on how to make a virtual you know, birthday celebration like fun and not weird, I was just going to put the laptop on the kitchen isle and just let them watch all day. Oh, just like froll on Truman show. Let me know because we'll try and you know, make the most of it. But I hope you guys are staying safe.
Speaker 1: And I always think that's so crazy that poor babies that they get like watched all the time. So my sister says, Carroll, one of the two kids the investment, like, you know, Guru, she grew not really, but she she was like that, you know she she still has her the baby monitor even though the kids are five and three, and like when they're acting up, she is a whispering wait, wait, mommy's watching. I think it's hilarious. They're like, Mommy, are you watching? She's like, you know what. I just think that that's so crazy that kids are. Like they're like, before we throw another toy out of the windows screen that we've ripped open, let's let's see.
Speaker 2: If she's wait they the window open, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, the screen like and they started with just playing and now there's a little hole there. So every time I go to visit, like in on the ground and in front of her apartment because they'll know the ground floor, there's all these toys and I'm like, what is this. She was like, oh, these kids when I was a kid, My mom used to say something that had never got to I got older, and she would say, you guys don't like anything nice. And it's not as I'm older that I look at my niece and my nephew. I'm like, oh, this is what she means. You don't like anything good? Why are you throwing your favorite toys outside? And so now when I go over there, they're like yum yum and moo moo. I'm like, what's that. There are two stuffed animals they have the city dump and I'm like what. So apparently my sister says when they throw stuff out the window, She's like, I'm taking it to the city dump. So the kids are delighting in the fact that both their favorite stuffed animals are apparently having a party at the city town.
Speaker 2: I just waited, Okay, he's a listen. He's already a handful like four grown adults right now, or can you hear them? They're having trouble wrangling him. It's gonna be good times, good times ahead. People. I know that I'm supposed to say. I don't believe he's a year old, but I'm like, listen, every last one of these three hundred and something days I have felt from twenty four hours of these days, I have felt it, and I'm really really excited and it's it feels like such a big milestone. So I just want to make it special for him and everyone who survived it along with me. That's all I have to say about the holidays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the holiday. Have you put up your tree yet?
Speaker 2: So this is a bit of a controversial situation of my family right now. You can't say the tea word because the grandparents are the lessen. The grandmothers. Let's be real. Abuela and Nana are super not happy with the fact that I've decided not to do a traditional tree in the house. My master plan is we're going to go to a Christmas tree farm and we're gonna cut down a big ass tree and we're gonna put it in my front yard.
Speaker 1: That's why you said that.
Speaker 2: And light it all up because I don't feel like chasing a toddler around the house, you know before you know, and preventing him from knocking down the tree, which he most certainly will do. Child climbs on everything. So I'm excited about it. We're gonna I'm taking next week off and I think we're gonna go like during the weekend, get to chop down our tree.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, I mean do you do it yourself?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, do you bring your own what do you? How do you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've never had a I've never had a real because it seems like a lot of work. So we always have like like the last tree had honestly was like our prettiest tree. Yeah, I thought it was a fake tree. We got like a nine footer because our ceilings are nine feet, which probably wasn't the best idea. Probably should have got seven foot because I didn't think about life, you know.
Speaker 2: Theo ago did you have to cut off a trunk of it on top.
Speaker 1: Bent it back? I was like whatever, But it was just it was so beautiful and I was just like, yeah, I don't see about and I think it was even pre pre lit, which I love. And I just put like some you know, like decorations out of whatever. So yeah, I'm glad I got a lot of stuff last year because I'm not gonna lie. I'm nervous to go out there in these streets and I don't want to, you know, get sick.
Speaker 2: I really want to go to home goods and do my whole like two hour shopping excursion around the holidays. But it just seems now, it.
Speaker 1: Seems like very decadent now, like ooh should I go outside? Ooh living dangerously? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, it's fine.
Speaker 1: For my favorite part of this show questions put, isn't that hoy san Spanish pragunta? Se Wait real quick question. I saw this post on IG and that's a huh. I thought it was unique because it said everyone had an English teacher that completely changed their life, and I did have one, and I thought, well, is that normal? Did you have an English teacher that changed your life? Mine was Kate Strauss.
Speaker 2: You know when people like thank their teachers at award ceremonies or they talk about it someplace, They're like, oh, I love thank you so and so for your you know, for believing in me or whatever. I don't remember any of my teacher's names, like, and I know that's terrible. I do remember my seventh grade English teacher's name, Lorie Cunningham, I believe, but yeah, I But other than that, no, And it's just because I'm a terrible person and remember no one's name I always loved my English teachers. That was my best subject, but can't remember their names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just the only reason because Kate. I remember it was like my I think it was junior year and she was I was taking AP English Advanced Placement English, and she was a super young teacher. She was like twenty one or twenty two something like that, and she just graduated from Princeton, so you know, she was full of like all the like energy and you know, and Westfield where I grew up was like largely white and I was the only black person I believe in my in my AP English class, and she just took such a shine to me. I remember at first, I was like, oh, what does she want? But she cause I was pretty shy. I know you can't tell, but I was pretty shy in high school. So I just used to be really really really quiet. But then I would, you know, turn in my work and stuff. And I remember we did like a poetry unit and I really shone through. And she's really like I used to write like so much poetry back in the day. My poet my poet name was poetic empress. Get into it spoken word, I make that up? I did.
Speaker 2: I just I remember you telling that story.
Speaker 1: Yes, But what I really liked about her is that she was like, you know, share some of yours. She's satifically, you should have a recording of some of your poems, and so, like, you know, during breaks or whatever, like we would go to the library and like record like me reading my poetry and then reading my angel and reading and I still had them on video, and she said you should keep it because you know, you it would just be something that you can look back on and whether or not this you know, you take this into turns into something else, or whether you just have it as an amazing memory. And it just was so yeah, I just really loved that because it made me feel like someone saw me and saw something special to me when I didn't see that in myself because I'm one of five kids and I'm going to this big old high school and I don't look like anyone here really, And then it was like, here's a teacher that really saw me. And honestly, it gave me a lot of confidence that I did not have. I was super self conscious like most high school girls. So yeah, Kate Strauss shout out to you. Actually googled her and I was like, oh, I think she's an administrator now for a college. But yeah, shout out to you, Kate Strauss. She made a huge difference in my life.
Speaker 2: That's lovely. You know. The teacher I remember was my not my English teacher, but my fifth grade teacher, missus Parks, because after my parents split up, we had to move to a whole different county and the way that it works in Georgia is that you just go to school wherever you know you live, in your zip code or whatever. So that meant we had to leave school in the middle of the school year. Miss Parks was like, no, no, no, I'm going to commute all the way to pick you up from your uncle's house and take you to school and back home every day. So she took my little brother and I to and from school for like the last couple of months of the year, which was just so far and beyond. And she used to get me McDonald's French fries. I'll then I forget that, and.
Speaker 1: I remember how your dad is, Oh my god, wedding. Your dad was like, my little Mandy, what was the story and how much you loved the French fries?
Speaker 2: Listen, my dad did give a speech at my wedding, which apparently he prepared an advance and decided to tell an anecdote about how I used to eat French fries and not give him any as a child. Yes, and I was not. I was a very rude little girl. I was like, miss Parks, can we get the big size fries? You know, a supersized letter?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, honestly.
Speaker 2: What was what much she have been thinking? She was probably in her early twenties too, but you know, everyone seems so like, you know, old and mature at that age. But she was probably her first teaching job. Anyhow, yay, love to teachers, love them.
Speaker 1: What are we doing now?
Speaker 2: Questions? Right? Okay, right, well I don't. We were like pragunthas and then we were reminiscing about school days. This is fine, but.
Speaker 1: It was still a nice reministion. It's time for temple, time for questions in espanel.
Speaker 2: Yes, you should be on Sesame Street actually one day, because I've watched a lot of that lately, and that was very on Brandy. Well, let's take a question from a listener, will keep her anonymous. This one is This one's tough, but I think it's truly indicative of, you know, one of the reasons why Congress really needs to get us act together and do something about the situation for families who are struggling. But this is this is a question from a listener. We'll call her. Danielle. Daniell says, Hey, ladies, So I'm having trouble saving. This has been for a few years now. I'm originally from New Jersey and I relocated to Savannah about five years ago. Between my significant other and I we make about sixty five thousand dollars a year. But still I'm having trouble saving. Right now, we're paying six hundred dollars for the mortgage, Utilities are about three point fifty, and we have a car note which is about four seventy five. Thanks to coronavirus, are one hundred dollars a week. Daycare bill we're no longer paying, but groceries have gone up about three hundred dollars a month because we're home all day. I see people giving their tips on how to save, but these people are making way more and never have kids. Is it possible for me to save? Or should I be realistic and realize saving is just not possible at this time, thank you for your help. Essentially, really having trouble saving doesn't understand, you know, where she's supposed to get the money to save when there's just not enough.
Speaker 1: And I think that it's okay to say I don't have it to save. I mean, I know people don't want to say that. There's always a way. Yes, sometimes it's like it's food. It's not I'm not getting my nails on, I'm not getting my hair done. It's food, it's shelter, and I'm even late on that. So one of the things I did when I was like at my Brokes broke Is Brokes, when I honestly didn't even have money for regular bills, is that I would, you know, like if I had like fifty cents, if I had, I would put it in a you know, in a in a jar and say like, okay, every month, I'm gonna save at least something. And I would put it like in a but it was more I mean, I would take it out later, but it was more ceremonial. So I reminded I didn't get out of the habit of setting aside something. But there are moments in life when you just don't have it and and it's not because you're being frivolous. It's because things are hard, and that's okay. I don't savings is ideal, but it's not always realistic in whatever situation you find yourself in. And I would say, if there's not enough money, you have one of one or two issues. Usually it's like it's a don't make enough issue or spend too much issue. Everyone's issue. Who's not saving is to spend too much issue. Most people, that's the default. I don't have enough money, you spent too much. Not always, sometimes I'm not making enough. And so that's what I would really focus on. Instead of stressing yourself out and making yourself feel bad that maybe you're not able to save, it's asking yourself, are there ways to make additional income so I have a little bit more room? Can I ask for a raise or promotion? Is there something I can do on the side to bring some more income into the household. So, but also you know, being easy on yourself. Not being able to save is not a condemnation of your character. It's just a it's just your current situation. But it won't always be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I have anything, you know, to add on to that other than to say I definitely identify with your grocery bill going up. It's really insane, you know how much, And because going to the grocery store is like the big excursion, you know, it's like the one safeish place you can go now and I personally comfort myself with food and anyway, So it's it's it's really easy, especially when you have kids. I also feel like I see what you're saying when it's about you, when you talk about you know, looking and listening to other people who give advice and like they don't have children, there is some good helpful advice out there, you know, from people for example, Christina and Aman from Our Rich Journey. You know, they have two tween age girls and they talk a lot about the ways that they've saved. So if you haven't checked out their YouTube channel, we've had them on the show before. I think it was episode I mean two thirty and one to thirty one, I think a few couple of months ago. You can go back and listen to that. They have a really great YouTube channel, great advice on finding side hustles, especially which was one way that they brought an extra income when they were saving for early retirement, and they really got the kids involved too, and their little girls have this channel called our which what is it called.
Speaker 1: Are Young Rechard something. But it's really good.
Speaker 2: I know, I feel like Junior is in there somewhere. It's really cute and adorable. So maybe it's you know, it sounds what kind of the tone I get from the email is that you feel like you're in this alone. So I feel like if you get the family involved, in your husband or your partner, I'm sorry, you know, talking about ways that you guys can bring an extra income as a family or reduce you know, spending as a family. But I agree with tiffany times are really tough right now, and a lot of people aren't saving what they think they should or that what they want to be saving. And there's so many goals that have been set aside because of what's going on right now, you know, in our economy and with our healthcare crisis, and I think we've all just got to like lower the bar a little bit for ourselves and take it easy. You know, it sounds like you're making making ends meet, which is right now. You know, all you really need to do. I do wish that there was some form of you know, help, you know, another stimulus or whatnot. But unfortunately, for the time being, we are all our heroes, you know, asking for help, looking for resources in your area. That's really all that you can do right now. But best of luck to you and to your family and y'all if you have any you know, I think a lot of our listeners have kids. If there's anything y'all are doing, you know these days, to you know, bring an extra income or you know, adjust your goals and expectations because of what's going on, you know, feel free to share.
Speaker 1: We'll share on the showily, like don't be afraid to lean into like services, you know, like is are there food services that you might qualify for? Are their rental services like in your municipalities, especially now during the time. I like Newark actually has some like rent assistant services. They have places where that deliver or that bring food every every afternoon, like especially where their children, like where you can pick up lunch or dinner. So lean in, lean into those services if you need them. I've certainly been in that position before as well. Sorry to cut you off, Mandy, I just want to put that out that I was just thinking of that.
Speaker 2: No, that's great. I was just going to say, hit us up brand Ambition podcast on Instagram or brannd Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com if y'all have any tips or stories you want to share. All right, Danielle, thank you again for your question. Let's take another one. This is This is an interesting one from listener named Lauren, and she's a homeowner wondering if she should go ahead and use a loan that she took out or sit on the cash for a while. All Right, Lauren says, I'm a homeowner of eight years and the main level of my house desperately needs repairs. I'm talking floor cracking, paint peeling, desperate. It's a long backstory, but basically, the person I purchased a home from was kind of shady and didn't do work properly. Now there's a lot that will have to be done in order to do the job right. My plan is to sell the house within the next year or so. I know that in order to do that, I need to make the repairs. But to be honest, even if I don't sell right away, I'm just tired of the way the house looks. It's seriously depressing. I've gotten estimates ranging from ten thousand to eighteen thousand dollars for the work, and I took out a twelve thousand dollars home equity loan for the repairs right before the RONA shut everything down and holding on to the money in my savings because we're in the middle of a pandemic and recession, so I wanted to have a cushion. I highly doubt I'll be out of work anytime soon, but of course you never know. So what should I do. Should I go ahead and get the repairs done now, or should I continue to wait it out. I'm so torn about this, and I just need another opinion or two, because I am all cabs stressed. Okay, So twelve K in the bank. It's a home equity loan, which is for those who want to back up real quick. A home equity loan is when you tap into the equity of your home and the bank gives you a loan based on that equity and you owe. Let's say, well, there's a home equity loan, there's a home equity line of credit. Home equity loans a lump sum. So it's like a personal loan, you know, the same way that a personal loan works. You just get the lump sum and you're in your bank account and you can use it for whatever you want to use it for. And then a line of credit is when you it's basically like, you know, same amount of money, but instead of getting in a one line some you can use that line of credit as you need it. You don't have to use the whole thing if you don't want to, kind of like a credit card. But anything you do use, you'll you'll eventually end up owing it back. All right, Well, thank you for indulging me. In my definition, that's.
Speaker 1: Good because you know, a lot of people would be like, say what now, But my concern is I just want to make sure that you actually use it to improve the quality of the home, or you will have taken money out of a house that you have not invested back into. So you're end up almost like it's almost like double owing. You know. I can understand about like, you know, not you know, wanting to have some savings. Although you didn't say what she didn't say what she did for a living, But she seems pretty confident she's not going to lose her job. I don't know what work needs to be done in the house, but you know, like around here where I live, I certainly see that people are actually working because you know, you want to maintain and be safe. But you know there are farms and things that are still you know, they're using safety precautions and are working on people's homes. And that's honestly, you might be able to get work a little bit cheaper because you know there are people who are not wanting to, you know, renovate right now because of all that's going on. So you might find people who I wanted to give you a better deal because they need to work. So keep that in mind too. I just think taking money out of a property that's meant to be used to like enhance the property, you just don't. I just don't want you to not to use it to enhance the property. And now you've pulled money out, you own more, but the property is not worth more.
Speaker 2: So that's just my biggest concern. Yeah, I mean it sounds like pretty, you know, it's not like she's talking about interior design, like the floors are cracking, paint is peeling. Like I think if you like maybe you could scale back what you were planning to do and just do the bare necessities, especially with like winter coming up. I mean, I think, you know, it's not a bad time to do a project like this, Like Tiffany said, people are probably looking for work, and if it's interior work, that's a bit more appealing the twelve thousand dollars that you've got sitting in your bank account. You know, not I can't think of any necessarily downsides to not using it. But if it's I mean, if you've got stable income, you don't mention if you've already got you know, a little bit of savings set aside, or a lot of bit of savings hopefully you know, if you were to lose your job, then you know, I don't see any harm in it. But like I'm like making a mental pros and cons list. If you want to sell the house and you know you need to do the repairs, then I would say, Okay, that's that's a reasonable use of funds that you've taken out against the equity in your home. That makes a lot of sense. A lot of people, like I feel like that's the most popular reason for taking out a home equity loan. And if you feel, you know, relatively stable in your job. And yeah, I don't see a huge problem with that personally from my experience doing home improvement projects. It's that it doesn't all happen at once, and you may be able to you know, spread the workout over several months so you don't have to fork over the entire twelve thousand dollars right away, and that may help, you know, hedge against some of the risk. So if you don't have to spend it all, you know, you can be saving on the back end, you know, trying to replenish your savings as you you know, use those funds to fund your project and then feel a little bit more you know, confident moving forward. And then worse comes to worse if something bad happens, you know, you lose your job or a source of income or whatnot, then you may not have used all of the funds and just a portion of it. So if you're going to be working with a certain company or contractor, you know, ask how they would like to be paid and how many installments and over what period of time, and that can give you a better sense of you know, how far you can spread the payments out. Whoof I really dug deep for that. So I hope that was helpful. And again Tiff and I are you know, they adjust our ideas. Ultimately, you got to do what works you know best for you.
Speaker 1: And that's that.
Speaker 2: On that, on that, how you feel? One more question? Or should we boost and break? Break? All right, let's do this and lesson an hour or for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 1: And now it's time to boost a break or boost uber. You can boost Landy, are you gonna break?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do a boost because I feel like I need a mental boost and I have a double boost you right. First boost is for those of you who want to get COVID tested, but you have been seeing, like we've been seeing in our area, really long lines outside of urgent carres that do it, like rapid testing. Whatever the line is for, it's very long. We've found this company called Pixel Lab. This is not an endorsement. I just use this company twice. You can order your vaccine not your vaccine, whoa no, not a vaccine. You can order your test kit for COVID online. They mail it to you overnight. You do a little nasal swab, put it back in the little tube and you ship it off to them again overnight and I got my results back and maybe three business days from after I mailed it, so it's pretty fast and you didn't have to leave the house. It's really safe. So I'm going to drop a link to Pixel lab Core in the show notes because I have found friends and family don't want to get tested because it's a hassle and with Pixel, I just and maybe there's other companies besides Pixel, but this is the place that my family has used a few times now, and you can order kit. I've ordered two kits and although it says it's one hundred and nineteen dollars at checkout, if you put your insurance information in. You know, thanks to the one piece of legislation that was passed this year, it made COVID testing free, so you should be able to get a free COVID test through Pixel. So that's my boost for that, and I promise a double boost. The other side of my boost is have you had Tiffany? You're so busy, but I wanted to shout out. I know you probably haven't watched it yet, but there is a black Andy black, black black Netflix movie Christmas movie called Jingle Jangle. I can't wait. It looks so good. I'm saving it for this weekend because I want to, like, or whenever we get our Christmas tree, I want to like watch Jingle Jangle? Who is it? Having? It has? What's the guy from the Last King of Scotland forest would occur? I believe Keegan Michael. Wait what's that? I always get them confused, Keegan Michael, Peel or no Key and Peel, the tall one, the non horror movie one. He's isn't it? And I feel like it's a musical or something. I don't know. It looks amazing and I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Now that I've been hearing some people who are honestly like not into someone said there, like I don't even like musicals, but girl, this musical gave me life. So I'm actually really excited to watch because you know, sometimes you need like a freaking mental break, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, we need this collectively. Yes, you should definitely watch it for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, my boost other than go ahead on and take the financial Homeless Squiz, It's only two minutes and ten questions at GGW money dot com. Is there is I have a new fave IG page. I'm trying to find him. His name starts as Neil. Let me find him. So Neil qatal any a l k a yl. He is a Supreme Court lawyer, a law professor, an extremist centrist, and a former US Acting Solicitor General. I don't know all that things. And so oh he argued forty one cases in front of RBG. Wow, So anyway Neil's officiale okay. So Neil has been doing something called court Side with Neil, a discussion of the post election litigation attempting to reverse the election results. And when I tell you, Mandy, life, because you have this man who is one, he's like really like, you know, down to earth. I don't know how he manages to explain law in a way that like anyone can understand. But any anxiety that you might have felt post elections saying well, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna feel good until you know president electorsworna and girl, I don't feel no anxiety because Neil has broken down all the tea with the light. So he is like. What I love about Neil's that clearly he's like genius, super smart, you know, super accomplished. But he's also slightly shady, so he adds all that together, which is the.
Speaker 2: Shadiness.
Speaker 1: Love it. But what I really like about Neil is that since the election, he's really like broken down, Like so current president has lost twenty twenty I guess whatever lawsuits that he's brought forth, and how none of them have gone through, and how even in Arizona they're not saying this, but his own lawyer said, no, we don't think that there's fraud because in order for you to bring fraud to a court, to the court, you have to come with proof. But he just breaks down everything. So if you're feeling any anxiety about post election, even though you're like, I'm pretty sure we're good, go head on to Neil katal n e A l KA t y A L and watch some of his court side Like IG shows there like three or four minutes long. It's just, like I said, super smart, a little bit of shady, but very entertaining.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. I'm going to need because I've been feasting on Prete. Burarra's the former what's it called Attorney General for New York. He was fired by Trump and a tweet like everyone else. He has a podcast called cafe cafe something, what's it called preet Burarra. We can LinkedIn and then show notes, and he had only one episode and I was like, give me more, give me more rational thinking, legal minds about what is because I don't know how this all happens. And I feel exactly like you were saying, Tiff, like I want to be excited, but like court stuff, I don't know how this works, litigation. What love it? So his name is Neil, we'll link it in the in the show notes. That's that's dope. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think like, yeah, like I said, it was just I mean, it was actually h Questlove from the Roots crew. So he like shared I didn't even know I was following Questlove, but he shared one of his videos and I watched it. I was like, oh, and so now he posts on something almost every day. It's just really honestly, what I like about it too, is that it's it's very like, it's not just entertaining, it's very informational from like and you know, just someone who has not just studied law, but you know, practice laws for a long time. And then you're like, oh and then when then when you watch I'm not gonna lie. When you watch like Fox and the News, you're like, this is really bad they are. They are reporting in such an egregious way that you're like wow, because none of what they're saying is actually happening. They're like straight lying, and you kind of know that, but to hear from a legal perspective, you're like, this is really really bad.
Speaker 2: So I mean, like I said, enjoy love it all? Right, Well, one more week until wait, two more weeks until things. Give me what's happening next week? I don't know. I'm on vacation next week. I cannot wait. I can't wait to just be one thing. All I gotta be is Mandy the mom during the week. That's gonna be really nice. We'll still take our show, but I'm really looking forward to taking some time off, and I just if you haven't, I feel fortunate. I feel a little guilty because I know a lot of people are struggling, and I feel very fortunate. It's like the survivor's guilt that I have the opportunity to take paid time off. I got to figure out some way to get back, but I'm going to try try to at least with some of it and take a load off because it has been a year, yes, and several years in one, like you said. And if you haven't, even though holidays are kind of lowercase ce canceled this year, still take your time off, even if it's just to sit around and watch Jingle Jangle on repeat on Netflix a million times. I think if you have the opportunity and the blessing to have some time off, take it, enjoy it in whatever way you can. Let's make the most of this. Yes, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: Now is really the time to really dig into what you're truly, truly thankful for and lead into that more than anything else.
Speaker 2: And if you have gift ideas, let me know, because I don't know what to get anybody. I'm like but dazzled face masks, like what do you get people? All right, y'all take care and we will see y'all next week, next week,