Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Before we start this episode, I want to let you know that this one includes some graphic descriptions of pregnancy loss as well as allegations of sexual assault. On June tenth, twenty twenty four, the Laura Owens and Clayton Eckered paternity case finally went to trial. This was the definitive legal showdown everyone had been waiting for. But before Clayton's attorney, Greg Woodennick could even walk into the courtroom, he was met with a surprise.
Speaker 2: We walked into the courthouse and my team was walking through security. I turned to my right and kind of right up next to me is Laura's attorney and he says something to the extent is we need to talk now.
Speaker 3: I'm calling the police now.
Speaker 1: At first, Woodnick didn't understand what was going on. It appeared that Laura's attorney was calling the police.
Speaker 2: I felt my blood pressure racing that he was suggesting he was calling the police in a courthouse.
Speaker 1: There were plenty of police and security guards already present. It was a courthouse, but today seemed to be different. Maybe it's because their trial involved a high profile person, or maybe something else was going on. Wouldn'tick watched in confusion as Laura's attorney began to unravel right in front of him.
Speaker 2: He was like running back and forth, like I remember seeing him go from the security station towards the courtroom, and it was kind of frantic, and we were just like standing there, like, what the fuck this is weird?
Speaker 1: Wouodnick stepped away from his team to investigate. It turned out Laura had a problem with someone who'd been subpoena to testify.
Speaker 2: If I recall correctly, her attorney said, I'm not sure if she's even going to go into the courtroom because she's so scared, and I think that he'd called.
Speaker 1: Nine one one said she was too scared to enter the courtroom. She had a protective order against both Clayton and Greg Gillespie, who were already there, but her panic on the morning of the trial was about someone else, another man. She had a restraining order against someone she'd known for years before Clayton or Greg.
Speaker 2: I was confused, I said, what the hell are you talking about. They are subpoena. Judge Manta already granted their permission to testify.
Speaker 1: Maybe Laura didn't actually expect this man to show up, but would Nick had subpoenaed him for a reason.
Speaker 2: I think Laura had a problem with anyone coming in and sharing the fact that there were multiple prior victims who had very similar situations.
Speaker 3: Happened to him.
Speaker 2: I think she's doing everything she could to avoid the court hearing testimony from these individuals.
Speaker 1: I'm Stephanie Young and this is love trapped there.
Speaker 4: No, you'd better believe.
Speaker 5: I'll be razy ho the hellas if you Emverver Heaver.
Speaker 6: Trastic.
Speaker 1: On the morning of Clayton's paternity trial, Laura claimed she was too scared of one of the witnesses to go into the courtroom. She had her attorney called nine to one one, but after a quick meeting in the judge's chambers, it was decided that the trial would move ahead. The energy in the courthouse was tense. Clayton felt it as soon as he arrived.
Speaker 7: I had been to this court a couple times because Laura would bring me there for prior hearings, and this time I'd drive in and there's arm guards like right when I'm driving in, and then I get out of my car and I see a couple more of them, and I'm thinking, what is going on? Like this feels too high profile.
Speaker 1: That morning, the parking lot was buzzing. Many of the online detectives who'd been following every twist of this case had descended upon the courthouse in Phoenix, Arizona.
Speaker 7: Well as far as people that had been covering the case. There was Dave Neo, there was Megan Fox. There was probably fifty people that were part of the Justice for Clayton.
Speaker 8: Community that were there.
Speaker 7: And that's when it hit me that I was like, Wow, I have a tremendous amount of support.
Speaker 1: The virtual community had suddenly become an in person one. Many of them had been in the parking lot since six am preparing for the trial day. It was basically a tailgate. Content creator. Megan Fox is one of the many people who flew in.
Speaker 5: We got up very early in the morning, I think it started at eight, and we needed be there to set up our equipment, the camera and everything in the courtroom.
Speaker 9: Dave beat me there.
Speaker 1: He was already there. Dave Neil was the unofficial leader of Clayton's supporters. He'd been following the story since the beginning. I knew I needed to be there to see this thing to the finish line.
Speaker 8: It wasn't a question.
Speaker 1: On the day of the trial, Dave set up a tent in the parking lot where he had a live stream feed going giving commentary and analysis. He also brought a media sprinter van. The whole scene had a major sporting event, Vibe. Dave was joined by his old friend Reality Steve, who'd also been covering the story since the beginning.
Speaker 10: It was something that had consumed a lot of my time from September of twenty twenty three on.
Speaker 8: Went out there to support Dave because he was the champion of all this.
Speaker 1: The court only allowed one camera to livestream the trial. A few months earlier, content creator Lauren Nighty had put her name on the list.
Speaker 10: I was wondering how people get access to stream court cases, so I just went to the website basically on Mayracopa County for the Family Court, and there was a form you could fill out basically to stream it, and so I put in my information. But I wasn't expecting anything.
Speaker 1: Lauren had no idea that by filling out that form, she was about to become the eyes and ears for the entire online community. It was a role she took seriously. She was personally offended by Laura's alleged lies and wanted everyone to know the truth.
Speaker 10: I wanted people to be able to see what their tax dollars were being used for, why this was such a big deal, and everyone who had blamed Clayton or said, why don't you just shut up about this? You've already got people to know that she lied. I wanted them to see the extent of it. I wanted them to see that in real time and to understand the gravity of what this woman is willing to do, the lengths that she's willing to go to, and the way she's willing to guilt people and confuse their emotions in order to get away with what she's doing. And so the court reached out to me and they said, would you like to stream it? And I said yeah, because I was going to be there anyways.
Speaker 1: So Lauren set up her camera on Row one. She'd be recording everything and live streaming it to thousands of people. At eight forty five am, they opened the courtroom doors. Immediately the room filled up with people there to support Clayton.
Speaker 7: I think I realized this is more impactful than what I would have thought.
Speaker 1: Clayton knew the trial was important, but it was another thing to see the room packed with his supporters, people who believed him. Laura's side of the room was noticeably sparse.
Speaker 7: It was her mom and her medical expert that was it. Dad, wasn't there, sister, wasn't there? No friends? And I think that to me also spoke volumes. I know it, did I know when we walked into that courtroom and you had my side of the courtroom that was packed out, that had overflow, and then you had her side which ended up being taken over by people that it came to support me.
Speaker 1: Clayton felt the gravity of the moment.
Speaker 7: I wasn't nervous because it's bigger than me. So I just needed to show up.
Speaker 1: As me, surrounded by a packed room of supporters and spectators. The trial that everyone had been waiting for finally got underway.
Speaker 11: This is the time set in FC twenty twenty three zero five, two one one four appearances Please beginning first with petitioner's counsel.
Speaker 8: Good morning. You are at David Gingers on behalf of Laura Owens.
Speaker 1: Just a few months earlier, Laura Owens brought a new attorney onto the case, David Jingris, you'll recognize him from earlier in our story. He's the lawyer who collaborated with Laura on a series of YouTube videos. Laura had gone through a few attorneys before she found Jingers. In fact, her previous council, the one who was with their outter deposition, dropped her as a client. That attorney went on to file a notice of candor, a formal truth correction used when a lawyer realizes the court has been misled. In it, he changed his stance on the truthfulness of Laura's claims and formally retracted his statement that Laura had not lied to the court. So for the trial on June tenth, Laura was joined by her new council, David Jingris as for Clayton's team.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Judge kriick Woodnick, come here from Clayton issh that also with me is my co counsel Deangerina and Isabelle Rannie.
Speaker 11: Each party will be given fifteen minutes, which will take a ten minute break roughly halfway through. I allowed ten minutes for technical difficulties because they just happened to everybody.
Speaker 1: It was a bench trial, meaning there was no jury. It was just the two opposing councils presenting their cases to Judge Mada and critically the trial was timed. The judge put a two hour limit on the whole proceeding. These kind of time limits are standard in Arizona Family Court. It forces both sides to present their cases efficiently.
Speaker 3: You'd learned to get to the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Fast, wouldn't it had prepared Clayton to work within the time constraints.
Speaker 8: He's like, we are going to have a time limit.
Speaker 7: He's like, you also talk a lot and needed to give quick answers, just like snapstap, stap snap.
Speaker 1: With the clock ticking, David Jingers called his first witness to the stand.
Speaker 8: You want to call Laura Owens.
Speaker 1: This was her direct examination, her and her attorney's chance to tell her side of the story.
Speaker 8: Laura, how are you feeling.
Speaker 4: Nervous?
Speaker 8: Okay, just breathe and we'll get through this really quick. Okay.
Speaker 1: Laura's attorney started with the basic timeline of events, and right away Laura made a staggering admission.
Speaker 8: Let me go back to the night of May twentieth.
Speaker 12: In your deposition, you said that Clayton actually had sexual.
Speaker 8: Intercourse with you. Do you recall that, yes, and was that true?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: Did you tell him that night that you did not want to have sex? Yes? And did he honor that request?
Speaker 1: Now since the beginning, Clayton has told the same story about the night of May twentieth. He says that he invited her over, they both took an edible, and they had consensual oral sex. Six days later, public records show that Laura messaged a pregnancy support line looking for planned b Laura wrote, quote, this past week, I was consensually intimate with a partner, although we did not have intercourse. But now, a year later, Laura told the court that Clayton raped her.
Speaker 7: I remember when she said it. I just felt this massive wave of anger overtake my body. I when her clenching my fist and just closing my eyes because at that point I just had to diffuse the anger. I think I sat there for probably three or four minutes, but it was such a dump of adrenaline. I was fighting my body in that moment.
Speaker 1: The focus shifted right back to Laura and the pregnancy test she took.
Speaker 12: Those three tests, did you do anything at all to tamper with the results of those tests?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 12: Did you take any drugs? Hormones or any substance at all to affect the outcome. Now, did you use someone else's urine to Shane's the outcome?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 1: That was the moment Laura went on the record denying she had ever altered a pregnancy test during the time she claimed to be pregnant with Clayton's babies. Then her attorney, David Jingris addressed the contradictions in Laura's deposition had on, the most glaring one being that she'd admitted under oath to altering a sonogram using Adobe Acrobat.
Speaker 8: Did you have a sonogram done in California?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: I did? And where was that done?
Speaker 4: Planned parenthood?
Speaker 12: And you understand it. I'm sure mister Whitnik will ask you about this. Planned parent has not been able to verify that you were ever seen there. Do you understand that?
Speaker 4: Yes? Can you explain that, Yes, I went under a fake name when I went there?
Speaker 8: Okay, And you had a sonogram done?
Speaker 12: Did you ever present that sonogram as evidence in any court proceeding anywhere? No, we have obviously presented in this case. But you've admitted already that you changed the name at the top or the location. Did you change the name at the top of the sonogram of the location.
Speaker 8: Yes, why did you do that?
Speaker 4: I changed it because mister ACKERD was being threatening towards me and I didn't want him to know where I had gone and try to track down my providers.
Speaker 1: Laura's attorney then addressed the big question what came of her pregnancy.
Speaker 12: After the sonogram in California around July twenty third. Did something happen in terms of you passing tissue or anything like that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Can you explain briefly what happened on July twenty third?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wasn't having any symptoms at all, but I did pass tissue that looked like it could have potentially been a miscarriage that I wasn't sure.
Speaker 12: Did you seek any medical care after July twenty third after to shoot passed?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Related to that, Yes, what did you do?
Speaker 4: I texted a hotline for pregnancy and miscarriage questions, and I also did an appointment with the telens and doctor as well.
Speaker 8: Okay, and what information did they give you?
Speaker 4: With any They told me that I needed to monitor myself, but that they felt like unless I had more symptoms, I didn't need to worry that it was a miscarriage.
Speaker 1: On November second, Laura had told the judge in Clayton's restraining order hearing that she was twenty four weeks pregnant, but now she was claiming in court that she had a miscarriage. On July twenty third, in the direct examination, either Laura or her attorney addressed this massive inconsistency for the last time.
Speaker 8: Were you pregnant with Clayton?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 12: Did you think that you were pregnant with Clayton? Yes, you have any reason to think that you weren't when you filed this case.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 8: Did you lie about being pregnant with Clayton?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: No further questions John.
Speaker 1: With the direct questioning over the floor belonged to DeAndre A Rena for the much anticipated cross examination.
Speaker 9: Good Morning, the songs, Good morning.
Speaker 5: Do you understand that you're currently under oath you must testifying truthfully today?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 9: Correct? And you understand the difference between the truth and the.
Speaker 4: Lie right, obviously?
Speaker 1: Yes, But Clayton's attorney, Greg Woodennick didn't think that was so obvious.
Speaker 2: Laura is a tough witness. Laura has her own agenda when you ask her questions, and she's got a confidence about her, which is interesting because she can confidently answer a question with a completely bullshit answer.
Speaker 1: The maternity trial on June tenth was just getting started. The courtroom was packed with spectators. Laura was the first on the stand, but her direct examination left quite a few unanswered questions. Clayton's attorney, Deandra Arena, was eager to jump in. DeAndre had cross examined Laura before at Clayton's restraining order hearing on November two. In that one, Laura admitted under oath to being twenty four weeks pregnant. This posed a big problem because now Laura told the court she miscarried back in July, both couldn't be true. Before Deandra turned up the heat on Laura, she laid the groundwork, reminding Laura of what she said in previous hearings.
Speaker 5: You testified that you were one hundred percent pregnant on November second, correct, correct, And.
Speaker 9: You testified that you were twenty four weeks pregnant, specifically correct.
Speaker 5: I'd like you to take a look at your exhibit A eleven at least Miss Owens disappointment that you attended at mom doc on November fourteenth of twenty twenty three, was twelve days.
Speaker 9: After I crossed examine, right, correct?
Speaker 5: And during that cross examination I pointed out that you had no legitimate medical records to support the pregnancy.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 4: I mean you said that, but I don't agree with it. No.
Speaker 9: At disappointment, Miss Owens, it was confirmed that you were not pregnant. Correct.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: DeAndre knew she wasn't going to get a straight answer out of Laura, but she could try to catch her in a lie. The courtroom fell silent as DeAndre turned her attention to Laura's alleged miscarriage. The thing is, the medical records didn't match Laura's testimony.
Speaker 5: In your deposition, page one point fifty one, buying twenty four, you claim you passed the two sacks, which appeared to have a memory, in September or October.
Speaker 4: Correct, Correct, But.
Speaker 5: In the mom doc records you claim you passed to two sacks a few weeks after your alleged ultrasound at planned parenthood.
Speaker 4: Right, several weeks after?
Speaker 9: Okay, Well you would agree with me.
Speaker 4: There's an inconsistency there, right, right, I wasn't sure what the date was.
Speaker 9: No, obg U, I n were qualified medical professional conducted.
Speaker 5: An ultrasound, performed a physical examination or perform a blood test to confirm your alleged pregnancy on or before.
Speaker 9: August first of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Right, long, Okay, let's talk about that, because I suspected you to answer that this way. You claim that you had an alleged ultrasound at Planned Parenthood in Southern California, correct, Correct, And you testified during your deposition that the alleged ultrasound with Planned Parenthood was in Mission Yeho, California, on July seventh and twenty twenty three.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 4: I did say it was there. That's where I was staying at the time, in Mission Vieh.
Speaker 5: And while being examined by your attorney, you said that you went to Planned Parenthood under a pay thing. Right, But you didn't bother to provide our office with the alleged names that you went to Time Parenthood under right, Right?
Speaker 9: And you knew that we were seeking.
Speaker 5: Your records from Planned Parenthood specifically because of the alleged ultrasound that you had there, right right, So wouldn't it have made sense for you to provide our office with a copy or.
Speaker 9: The name that you allegedly went to Planned Parenthood?
Speaker 4: Under I felt like the whole purpose of going into planned parenthood is to remain anonymous, and that that's one of my protections.
Speaker 1: Just to be clear, Laura is testifying that she had an ultrasound at a Planned Parenthood in July, which confirmed her pregnancy, but in their discovery, would Nick and Deandra never received any records from that appointment. Laura says it's because she went to Planned Parenthood under an anonymous name, but DeAndre doesn't let this go because she's trying to establish if there are any medical records at all that could prove Laura had an in person ultra sound exam with an obgyn.
Speaker 9: I want you to take a look at Exhibit twenty eight.
Speaker 5: Is this a true and accurate picture of the ultrasound you claim your snut plan parenthood in California.
Speaker 9: On July twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: That looks like it, Yes, and Miss Owens, this ultrasound image does not say planned parenthood. It says smil, which I'll call smile for purpose of support today.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 5: And in your deposition you admitted you altered this ultrasound picture to say smile instead of planned.
Speaker 9: Parenthood, right, correct?
Speaker 5: And you admitted in your deposition to altering this picture on the Adobe Acrobat program.
Speaker 9: At your house right correct.
Speaker 5: During the deposition, you testify that the date listed here of July seventh of twenty twenty three was correct and.
Speaker 9: Had it been edited by you, right correct.
Speaker 5: But you later admit that you lied about this July seventh ultrasoundate right correct, and you execute an affidavit on April sixteenth of.
Speaker 9: Twenty twenty four claiming.
Speaker 5: The date for this already doctored ultrasound was actually July second of twenty twenty three, correct correct.
Speaker 9: So I want to get this straight. The sons.
Speaker 5: You initially claimed you had an ultrasound at Planned Parenthood on July seventh, which you doctor to say it was from Smile right correct. Then the story changes again and you claim that the ultrasound image should actually be dated July second of twenty twenty three, right correct. So you changed the date on the ultrasound from July second to.
Speaker 9: July seventh, correct correct, And you utilize.
Speaker 5: This alter or fake ultrasound to try to convince mister Eckert and the court and the media that you were pregnant with.
Speaker 9: Mister Eckerds twins.
Speaker 4: This was never submitted to the court.
Speaker 9: You're aware that Planned Parenthood has no record of an ultrasound for you.
Speaker 4: Correct, under my real name, yes iMore.
Speaker 5: And again we've established you didn't provide our office with the name that you allegedly went to Planned.
Speaker 9: Parenthood under correct.
Speaker 5: Correct, You never attended an aployment of Planned Parenthood in this case of Selvison.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did.
Speaker 1: The contradictions in Laura's story are maddening. If Laura had actually received an ultrasound at Planned Parenthood in July, those records would prove she was pregnant when she said she was, But Laura couldn't produce them for the courts, and she wouldn't give the courts the fake name she allegedly used at Planned Parenthood. The only thing Laura had was the ultrasound she admitted to altering on Adobe Acrobat.
Speaker 9: Can you take a little exhibit B twenty nine.
Speaker 5: This is a true and accurate copy of our requests in response from Planned Parenthood regarding your record of state in April twenty sixth and twenty twenty four correct.
Speaker 4: Correct. I don't believe I've seen this, but I have no idea.
Speaker 5: And while you've indicated today that you went to Planned Parenthood under a fake name. This letter actually indicates that you have scheduled an appointment for July second, but that you failed to attend.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 5: It also indicates that the ultrasound image that you claimed was from Planned Parenthood was not from Planned Parenthood because it was not consistent with ultrasound images generated by their practice.
Speaker 4: Right, not by the one in mission VIAO correct zones.
Speaker 9: These are yes or no questions.
Speaker 5: This document states that the ultrasound image you have claimed is from panned Parenthood is not consistent with ultrasound images generated by their practice.
Speaker 4: Right, by that practice, but as they said, I could have been seen by another different entity the zones.
Speaker 5: You're well aware that this request covered all of Orange County and San Bernardino.
Speaker 4: It didn't cover Los Angeles though.
Speaker 9: So now you're saying you went to Planned Parenthood in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Yes, so you're telling us you went to Planned Parenthood in Los Angeles on the day of trial today?
Speaker 9: Yes, Okay, when did you go to plan Parenthood in Los Angeles?
Speaker 4: Exactly when I said I When was that July second?
Speaker 1: You can hear Deandra's frustration. She'd been preparing for this cross for months but on the stand, Laura was introducing new information, shifting her testimony yet again, like claiming she went to Planned Parenthood in Los Angeles, not Mission Viejo. That was a convenient correction because Clayton's attorneys hadn't subpoenaed records for the Planned parenthoods in Los Angeles. Like we said earlier, the trial was timed. They only had two hours to get through everything. So Deandra moved on to another staggering admission of Laura's.
Speaker 9: I'd like to go back to the two sacks you passed.
Speaker 5: So again in your deposition, you claimed you passed them in September or October, right, yes, but then you changed the date and claim that you passed these two sacks on July twenty third of twenty twenty three, right right, And you actually had an appointment schedule with doctor mccapoole, who you've claimed is your high risk perionatologist, for July twenty fourth of twenty twenty three, right.
Speaker 1: Right, that I canceled dayse prior, a perinatologist specializes in fetal medicine. Laura told the court she made an appointment with one because she had a history of multiple miscarriages.
Speaker 5: So wouldn't you agree with me that for someone who has had miscarriages in the past, and who has an alleged high risk pregnancy, it would be prudent to attend an in person appointment shortly after passing two sacks.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why I asked the doctors online.
Speaker 9: Well, these are yes or no questions. I see you're looking at your attorney, but you were shaking the question for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, can you ask the question again?
Speaker 1: Laura seemed flustered. DeAndre knows how to read a witness, and she told me she picked up on Laura's physical cues.
Speaker 5: There was a point where I noticed, when I was cross examining her that I had completely lost her eye contact, and it was very apparent to me that she was looking behind me.
Speaker 1: The vibe in the room shifted when people realized Laura wasn't even looking at the person questioning her. Instead, she was focused on her attorney, David Jingras, who appeared to be making gestures from the sidelines. DeAndre decided to continue her cross examination because she couldn't afford to lose any more time. Instead of stopping the clock, she just moved positions.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to stand here because it seems like you're looking at mister Gingris quite a bit for guidance.
Speaker 4: No, I don't need it. I don't need guidance from my attorney. I know how to answer the questions.
Speaker 1: DeAndre had a whole stack of documents and exhibits she wanted to get to. Given the time limitations, she had to decide on the spot which wants to focus on. One of these exhibits was an hCG test Laura claimed to have taken at a doctor's office. hCG is a hormone your body produces during pregnancy. Anything above twenty five indicates a pregnancy, and as a typical pregnancy progresses, hCG levels can rise to over two hundred thousand.
Speaker 9: You doctored this particular test twice, Miss Owen's correct.
Speaker 4: I doctored the test once.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 14: When was that?
Speaker 4: When I tried to send it to Dave Neil to get him to stop creating harassing videos at me?
Speaker 1: Let me explain. Months earlier, Laura had sent content creator Dave Neil a copy of her hCG test in an attempt to prove to him that she was actually pregnant. It looked like it came from a doctor's office. The thing is Dave had already seen a copy of this same hCG test. It was publicly available on Laura's attorney's blog. But the test Dave had a copy of had a wildly different hCG level. The two tests had the same date on them, October sixteenth, twenty twenty three. Dave sent the copy of the test he'd received to Clayton's attorneys.
Speaker 9: And what amounts did you doctor the hCG level.
Speaker 4: Two for that particular I it was like one hundred and two thousand, I believe.
Speaker 1: Here, Laura starts to get tripped up on her own story. She admits to altering the test and sending it to Dave, but she doesn't remember if she photoshopped the level to be one hundred and two thousand or one hundred thirty one thousand, nine hundred two.
Speaker 5: The sounds you'll recognize this as a books like the same test from October sixteenth, but it has an hCG level different than what you just syndicated, And it says one hundred and thirty one thousand and nine oh two.
Speaker 9: Okay, yes, that's so. You've also doctored this test.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't know what the number was that I had made it.
Speaker 5: To as of October seventeenth, twenty twenty three, when you received.
Speaker 9: This test result, you had reason to believe you were not.
Speaker 4: Pregnant, right, Yes, after doing some research?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, But then you proceeded to lionder oath at hearings before this court on October twenty fourth, October twenty fifth, and November second.
Speaker 9: Correct, that's not correct.
Speaker 5: No, Instead of telling the truth, you tampered with this hCG test to increase the level and offer that as support for a.
Speaker 4: Pregnancy to a content creator, not to the court.
Speaker 1: On the stand, Laura's credibility was crumbling.
Speaker 5: During the November second hearing, you denied that the DNA test results came back with little tobield DNA right.
Speaker 9: What During the November second hearing, I.
Speaker 4: Said that the test the question is on.
Speaker 1: One of Deandre's next questions was a real simple one. Had Laura been seen in person by a doctor during this alleged pregnancy.
Speaker 5: You also testify on November second unequivocally that your obdyns were doctor McCool and doctor Hagley.
Speaker 9: Right right.
Speaker 5: In fact, you went so far as to state that your main obd yn is the Perry and atologist, doctor McCool right.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 5: You further testified on November second you had last seen doctor Higgley on last Friday, right right.
Speaker 9: You lied to the court when you need those statements.
Speaker 4: I had the appointment scheduled, which you guys have no questions, I know, but they It needs to be answered, correct, It needs to be answered. I had an appointment scheduled with him that I did not attend. But I did have an appointment scheduled.
Speaker 5: Okay, So when you say you were seen by a doctor, that's not the same as having an appointment scheduled.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 9: Correct, So we would agree that.
Speaker 5: You were dishonest when you said you were physically seen by doctor Higgley the friday before the November second hearing.
Speaker 4: Correct. That's a very minor thing.
Speaker 1: You can hear the courtroom's audible reaction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, it's always yeah. I mean, if this is good, I am not comfortable if this if the JFC crew is going to be having reactions.
Speaker 1: Honestly, JFC stands for Justice for Clayton. It's a term that kind of became a calling card for the online detectives. Laura often refers to anyone who questions her as part of JFC, but on that day in court, the truth was Laura got caught in her own lies.
Speaker 7: DeAndre asked her about the medical fraud, and Laura says, what was just a little bit? And that's when you heard everyone just growing like, oh my god.
Speaker 8: I even did.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh my gosh, like a little bit of medical fraud, like as if we can downplay that.
Speaker 1: Deandrew remembers this moment well. She felt Maura's answer very telling.
Speaker 5: I think that response gave insight into how she views things and perhaps why we were in that situation, why the trial was happening.
Speaker 1: Judge Mata stepped in to address the interruption.
Speaker 9: Okay, I'm going to.
Speaker 11: Stop the clock at this time. Counsel, you ask questions, ma'am, you answer the questions. I could ask the gallery to please keep your you know, think I'm still talking, man, keep your comments to a minimum, or you will be asked to leave.
Speaker 9: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: Counsel Miss owns you've never been seen by doctor McCool or doctor Higley for any medical appointment.
Speaker 14: Correct.
Speaker 5: Correct, and the records from doctor mccool's office indicate that you made four appointments that.
Speaker 9: You never attended.
Speaker 5: Correct, correct, And the records from doctor Higgley's office that we obtained indicate that they have no records for you from August twenty twenty through the present.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm sorry, you said, doctor Higley or doctor McCool. I'm can I like take a minute, you know?
Speaker 8: Can we have just a five minute recess?
Speaker 9: Sure at this time?
Speaker 8: No, go ahead?
Speaker 11: What we're gonna say, counsel.
Speaker 9: I'm just concerned about our times and strength, that's all your owners.
Speaker 11: Well, we've factored in a ten minute breaks. So what we'll do is we'll take it now and then when we come back, there will be no further break. So that's just something for the parties to keep in mind, all right.
Speaker 1: Right, as things were falling up heart, the court hit a pause. Once they resumed, Deandra didn't miss a beat. She picked up the questioning exactly where she left off. Had Laura actually attended the doctor's appointments she claimed she had, and were there any records to prove it?
Speaker 5: I want you to take a look at what's our exhibit seventeen, page one ten. This is a picture you took of a portion of a page from banner correct?
Speaker 9: Correct? Where's the rest of the document? Miss owns?
Speaker 4: Clayton had it.
Speaker 5: I'm asking you where is the rest of the document in this particular exhibit.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but there's nothing I was trying to hide from it. Clayton got the entire thing.
Speaker 9: Zones.
Speaker 5: You recognize you've been accused of faking records in this case, right, yes, and you expect the court to accept a picture of a portion of an alleged record.
Speaker 4: You guys got the results yourselves, so either yes or no question. That's not fair.
Speaker 5: Opportunity to conduct redirect examination and you can elaborate.
Speaker 4: Then you guys know that you have the results of this that show the same thing. So I wasn't hiding anything here. That's not fair.
Speaker 9: I have to move on. So i'd asked if the court find this is nonresponsive.
Speaker 11: Corbel designator does non responsive.
Speaker 5: For someone who's been involved in court cases NonStop since at least twenty sixteen, You.
Speaker 4: Know what, that's not accurate. I have not been involved NonStop.
Speaker 11: Since it's not the clock for a moment, and I'm going to remind the Parties Council you ask a question, Maam, you answer the question, otherwise we move into a different area that I don't think anyone wants to go into.
Speaker 14: Council reversum.
Speaker 5: Miz Owen's you have been involved in court cases since at least twenty sixteen?
Speaker 14: Correct?
Speaker 4: NonStop? Or are you saying since twenty sixteen? Can you just rephrase the question?
Speaker 9: Answered the question as I've asked it.
Speaker 5: You've been involved in court cases since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: No, okay, DeAndre I wanted to ask Laura about her case with Greg Gillespie, but her time was almost up. She concluded with a final, very memorable question.
Speaker 9: Zon's I want to give you one more opportunity. The media is here.
Speaker 5: You know that this case has gone viral. You have an opportunity right now to come clean and start fresh. So I'm going to ask you one final time. You were never pregnant? By Clayton Eckerd Correct.
Speaker 1: Clayton's attorney ended her cross examination of Laura Owens with a jaw dropping question.
Speaker 9: When I asked that.
Speaker 5: Question at the end, like I really wanted to give her the chance to do the right thing. Frankly, it might have been a waste of a cross examination.
Speaker 8: Question.
Speaker 5: Because I knew how she was going to most like the answer, I still wanted to give her a chance to see.
Speaker 9: So I'm going to ask you one final time. You were never pregnant by Clayton Eckert correct.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely incorrect.
Speaker 1: With Laura's testimony concluded, the trial shifted to a battle of the experts. Each side got to present expert witnesses. Laura's attorney started by calling retired OBGYN doctor Michael Medschill.
Speaker 12: Mister Eckert has said that he doesn't believe that a pregnancy was possible here because there was no intercourse. Do you have an opinion about that regarding general, not regarding him or her, but in general.
Speaker 13: Well, it's said that men are like basketball players. They dribble before they shoot. They also dribble afterwards. And if you are rubbing genitalia together, it is possible.
Speaker 8: To get pregnant.
Speaker 1: As you can imagine, this dribble before you shoot moment became instantly iconic in the online community. Clayton's side called doctor Samantha Deanes, a former associate medical director at Planned Parenthood. She was there to answer one question, in particular, could someone be seen by a doctor at Planned Parenthood anonymously.
Speaker 8: Laura claimed it was anonymous and from Planned Parenthood any thoughts about that.
Speaker 15: Patients cannot be seen anonymously at Planned Parenthood. Having been a former medical director of Planed Parenthood PPFA, which is our national guidelines, require identification at the time of a visit to confirm the identity of the patient.
Speaker 9: The patient can't be seen anonymously.
Speaker 1: After expert witnesses, it was finally time for Clayton to take the stand. You've heard him tell his side of the story in this podcast, but this was his chance to say it under oath. Despite the pressure of the courtroom, Clayton's story remained consistent.
Speaker 8: I'm going to be lightning fast. State your name to the court Clayton.
Speaker 1: Record, wouldn't Itck had prepared him well. Clayton was uncharacteristically concise.
Speaker 8: How did you meet Laura?
Speaker 7: Laura targeted me on LinkedIn. She asked to do real estate. We ended up exchanging contact NFL. She became flirtatious, sent me a provocative photo. I told her to come over and then we saw Holmes the next day.
Speaker 8: Did you have sex with Laura? Absolutely not. I've said time and time again she performed oral on me twice.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 14: Have you heard two other versions about what happened?
Speaker 7: Absolutely many versions. She's claimed that she was raped by Miche also claims I was too high to remember what happened that day.
Speaker 2: I'm going to repeat what you just said. She claimed you were she was raped by you and that you were too high to remember.
Speaker 8: That's correct.
Speaker 14: Were you too high to remember?
Speaker 8: Well, that's incorrect. I remember every single thing from that night. Did you rape her?
Speaker 9: I did not.
Speaker 1: Then wouldn't it ask Clayton to describe some graphic details from the night of May twentieth.
Speaker 8: You stated that she had gave you oral sex twice that evening. Is that correct? That's correct?
Speaker 14: Where did you complete off both times? What happened the second time?
Speaker 8: She ran straight to the bathroom?
Speaker 13: What?
Speaker 1: Nick says The reason he asked this question is because he always found it to be a suspicious detail in Clayton's story. He told me he's never ruled out a kind of spit maneuver. It was a possible way Laura could have been pregnated herself while she was in the bathroom, which is not to suggest he believes Laura was actually pregnant, but just that he believes anything is possible.
Speaker 14: Were your fluids ever down there, as Laura has claimed?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 8: What happened the next days?
Speaker 7: The next day we went and saw houses. I told her that I crossed the professional boundary. I told her that that was a one time thing. It would not happen again. She became very agitated at that point, was crying and asked for me to give her a chance.
Speaker 2: Well, hang on for a second. She came over to your house. She gave you oral sex twice. The next day you told her you weren't interested in her.
Speaker 8: That's correct, I rejected her. Yes, and then four days later? What happened?
Speaker 7: Four days later she started making claims that she could possibly be pregnant, But a.
Speaker 8: Hang on, did your penis ever go insider accidentally, inadvertently or anything like that?
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 1: Wood Nick also took a minute to acknowledge the reason the courtroom was so packed.
Speaker 8: You're a public figure, You're the bachelor, and that's why everyone's watching today.
Speaker 14: Are you embarrassed to say who you've had sex with? Clayton?
Speaker 8: I think I'm the last person to lie about who I've been intimate with.
Speaker 1: This is a reference to the Rose ceremony from Hell on the Bachelor when he told two women he'd had sex with both of them while they were both standing in front of him with cameras rolling. Clayton certainly wasn't afraid to go on the record about his sex life.
Speaker 8: Did you have penile vaginal sex whatsoever with Laura Lewis? No? Absolutely not. Has that been your story since day one? My story. My story's been consistent since day one. I'm going to show you exhibit number three. Did Laura start communicating with you more after she said she thought she was pregnant at four days? Yes, NonStop.
Speaker 7: She sent me over five hundred emails and text messages, thirteen different phone numbers.
Speaker 14: Thirteen phone numbers.
Speaker 8: How many messages? Over five hundred.
Speaker 1: Many of those emails and messages were admitted as evidence, wouldn't it directed Clayton's attention to one email in particular, and it's one you've.
Speaker 8: Heard before, specifically Exhibit number seven. I think you stated that it was a true and accurate copy. I think the caption says the final opportunity to consider abortion. Do you remember getting this from Laura? Yes. Further down in that email, Clayton and this will get awkward. But further down. In that email on July first, which was weeks after the alleged encounter, Laura references her tight vagina.
Speaker 14: Why is that both uncomfortable and relevant to the court.
Speaker 7: Today Because she's stating that if I would have felt how tight her vagina was, I might change my mind, which is her stating that I never penetrator.
Speaker 8: We never had penetrated sex.
Speaker 14: Wait.
Speaker 8: The exhibit that the court just received has Laura saying that her vagina was tight, as if you hadn't been in there before. That is correct, Well, had you been in there before?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 14: She also sent you communications in exhibit number.
Speaker 8: Seven talking about wanting to have sex with you during a week, a trial week. What was that about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she said that she would be the safest person to have sex with us since she was already pregnant.
Speaker 8: We hang on for a second. She told you she wanted to have sex with you because she was already pregnant. That's correct. How did you feel when you read that email? Clayton, I'm being sick to my stomach. All of this has made me sick.
Speaker 1: Clayton sped through his testimony in twelve minutes. By contrast, Laura's had taken almost an hour. Her attorney already used his allotted time for questioning, so there wasn't a cross examination. After Clayton's testimony, the trial was over.
Speaker 7: I felt like I had just basically ran for two hours straight, full sprints. I was running on adrenaline the entire time that I was in the courtroom, because for me, it was we're either going to get the outcome we want or we're going to be silenced. My fear was what happens if a judge just says, you know what, let's just drop it all and just move on.
Speaker 1: Before the trial adjourned, Judge Mada told the courtroom what to expect next.
Speaker 11: So at this time, what the court's going to do is, I'll take this under advisement. What that means is I'm going to go back. I'm going to review the notes. But I said today, I'm going to review the evidence that was admitted to the court, and then everyone will receive my order.
Speaker 1: In writing, Arizona law gives a judge up to sixty days to give their ruling. Now, the record was closed and Clayton was stuck in a holding pattern. His attorneys were cautiously optimistic.
Speaker 3: We definitely felt the trial went well.
Speaker 2: But listen, I have lost trials that I have thought I was going to win, and I have won trials that I thought I had lost.
Speaker 3: With a bench trial where the judge is acting as the judge and jury, you just never know.
Speaker 1: A week later, Judge Mada released her ruling. It's nineteen pages long and incredibly thorough. We've had a voice actor read some of the judge's decision.
Speaker 6: The court finds that petitioner Laura Owens acted unreasonably when she initiated litigation without basis or merit, without an authentic ultrasound sonogram, physical examination, and in conjunction with a belief she passed tissue in July twenty twenty three. The court finds the underlying petition premature at best, at worst fraudulent, and made to incite communication, a relationship, or both with the respondent, Clayton Eckert.
Speaker 1: In other words, Clayton won the judge granted his petition for non paternity.
Speaker 7: I felt relief whenever Judge Mada made that ruling, because that's all I wanted. I knew my truth the entire time that I was fighting her, but I needed a legal document unfortunately, like it doesn't matter what I believe my truth to be, I need something to corroborate my story and.
Speaker 4: I got that.
Speaker 7: So when I got it, it was just basically like the weight I lifted and I could take a sigh relief.
Speaker 8: I'm like, Okay, I won, But.
Speaker 1: Judge Mata didn't stop at the non paternity ruling.
Speaker 6: The court further finds the petition was filed for an improper purpose, such as to harass the other party, to cause an unnecessary delay, or to increase the cost of litigation to the other party. On the day of the trial, she testified that she anonymously sought care at a planned parenthood in Los Angeles. This undoubtedly caused respondent to incur substantial legal fees attempting to locate records that may or may not exist in Los Angeles but now appear to have never existed in Mission Baho. Additionally, petitioner acknowledged she altered hCG test results an ultrasound and sonogram. The court finds petitioner provided false testimony as to the viability of the pregnancy in all three cases addressed in the procedural history. Laura Owens knowingly presented a false claim, knowingly violated a court order compelling disclosure or discovery such that an award of attorney fees and costs is appropriate.
Speaker 1: Laura was ordered by the courts to pay Clayton's legal fees and costs. It's a hefty bill, and at the time I'm recording this, Laura still hasn't paid it. It's a steep consequence for her actions, but there's a chance it wouldn't be the only consequence she'd have to face.
Speaker 6: It is further ordered the court, having determined that Laura Owens has a pattern of similar, if not identical behavior and court involvement, referring this matter to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office for a view of Laura Owens's.
Speaker 1: Actions, judgemudiabls Leap Laura's behavior warranted a criminal investigation. Wood Nick was floored.
Speaker 2: You don't see that often, but you also don't see people like Laura Owen's abusing the court system the way she did.
Speaker 1: Referrals to the County attorney are not a common outcome and family court. They are a rare consequence for those who pushed the judicial system past its breaking point.
Speaker 2: And I think Judge Mata was rightfully concerned with what happened, rightfully troubled that someone would come to court and continue with what was so obviously a lie. I think Laura did herself absolutely no favor with the changing of the planned parenthood testing location on the stand when someone is willing to do that and waste the time of the court, the resources of the court.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't just Judge Matta's courtroom.
Speaker 2: Remember I think there were two or three prior judges just in Arizona who had dealt with Laura. There was one or two commissioners on the protective order matters, plus Judge Matta's time, plus judicial staff time, plus clerk time, plus security time dealing with it, and I think Judge Manta said, you know what you deserve to have this matter referred to the County attorney. Remember, Judge Matta didn't decide to charge Laura Ball. Judge Matta did was say, you know, someone ought to take a look at what happened and do a deeper dive here to see if there's criminal ramifications. But she did was say, hey, look, County Attorney's office, you all need to look at this.
Speaker 1: The county attorney took her recommendation and started digging, and what they would find could finally bring Laura's actions to a stop.
Speaker 2: I think it's extremely rare for people to go the distance that Laura did. Lye say what you want about Laura Owens, but she was all in. I think as I say this, she is still all in on her.
Speaker 1: Hi, there's one more moment from the trial that you haven't heard yet.
Speaker 5: Between twenty fourteen and the present, you have alleged that you were pregnant by four different men, correct, Correct, And all four of those men told you one way or another that they believe you fabricated those pregnancies.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: The first was not so specific about that, and three of them are here today, right. Correct.
Speaker 1: Remember at the beginning of the episode, when Woodnick arrived in court to find Laura's lawyer panicking and pulling nine to one one.
Speaker 2: Her attorney said, I'm not sure if she's even going to go into the courtroom because she's so scared.
Speaker 1: The person she was scared of a witness. Wouldnick had subpoena someone who didn't have a chance to take the stand.
Speaker 8: My name is Mike Perriccini. I dated Laura from March twenty sixteen through summer of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Love Trapped, I.
Speaker 12: Remember in total, she had told me she had two pregnancies and six abortion attempts were made.
Speaker 8: I don't know how this is possible, he says to me. I promise I will get you out of this relationship.
Speaker 13: No way.
Speaker 8: Her mom is gaslighting me right now about her daughter having cancer.
Speaker 16: Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Please be sure to follow Love Trapped on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and please leave us a review. A five star rating helps others find this show. We're grateful for your support. If you would like to reach out to the Love Trapped team, email us at Love Trapped pod at gmail dot com. That's Love Trapped Pod at gmail dot com. Love Trapped is a production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group, in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. This show was executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning and Ben Fetterman, written, produced, and hosted by me Stephanie Young. Our story editor is Monique La Board producer on this episode is Sidney Gladou additional production support from Todd Gans. Our production manager is Kristin Melchiri. For iHeart Podcasts, Ali Perry was our executive producer. Audio editing and mass by Anna McLain, additional editing support by Tanner Robbins and Matt Delvecchio. A special thank you to our voice actor Kerrie Hartman. This podcast was developed in collaboration with Danny Passman and Lev Abramoff at Crybaby Media. The Love Trapped theme is composed by Oliver Bains. Music library provided by Mybe Music. A special thanks to Carrie Lieberman, Will Pearson, Jessica Crincheck, Ali Canter and the entire iHeart podcast team. And for more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts