Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode ninety six of Native Land Pod. We are your host, Tiffany Crost, Andrew Gillum and Angela Rye Rocking the cat today, rocking the cat, but spitting.
Speaker 4: No cat exactly down.
Speaker 3: Exactly all right, let's get ready to pay for that.
Speaker 5: Andrews stopped it, but I know, but you ain't got to do an extra plug. Let's get so well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of plug, let's plug what we're talking about today, Angela?
Speaker 3: What you got.
Speaker 5: As of Wednesday morning?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: An excerpt from Kamala Harris's book One hundred and seven Days was released on The Atlantic and I am very eager to talk about that and whether or not y'all read it.
Speaker 4: That's real, co host. I think we got bombs dropping over sovereign states of of of Qatar. We got Trump dropping bomb on speed boats in the Caribbean. We have Russia invading Poland's airspace. Everybody is violating right now on the international scale, and love to talk about the implications of that on us.
Speaker 1: I have questions for you on that, Andrews. I don't know if I understand all of it, and our audience probably doesn't either. So looking forward to that, I want to get into this idea of Trump having a third term. He has been toying with this idea, but this week, in particular, Supreme Court Justices Amy Tony Barrett and Sonya Solo Mayor were asked about it, and I just don't think that society or the media is taking it seriously enough.
Speaker 3: So it looks like we have a lot to get into.
Speaker 5: Let's rock, Yeah, okay, y'all. So I want to start with this quote from the excerpt that was released in The Atlantic on Wednesday morning. On Wednesday morning, they're thinking was zero sum. If she's shining, he's dimmed. None of them grasped that if I did well, he did well, that given the concerns about his age, my visible success as his vice president was vital. It would serve as a testament to his judgment in choosing me and reassurance that if something happened, the country was in good hands. My success was important for him. His team didn't get it, and I wanted to start there because I think that many of us who have or interfaced with the Biden administration at all. This was not a quiet rumbling. This was something that was regularly discussed about how they were handling Kamala Harris, what her portfolio was, Why was that her portfolio? When was she going to get out front and lead on some things? And I think really it took until well into their third year, around the Dobbs decision where we really saw her go out without him, without kind of being restrained or handled by White House staff. So this piece, to me was particularly resident because again it wasn't a secret for those of us who knew her, or know this administration or knew that administration, it was the least are the worst kept secret. So I do think that you know one I want to hear from y'all on what you're expecting in this book. Again, it's released on September twenty third, but I think that this particular passage is fascinating because I thought we've been new this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me just say for our viewers. This excerpt was dropped in the Atlantic this week. Jeffrey Goldberg had a really interesting who of course is the editor of the Atlantic, had a really interesting intro even I thought with how he introduced it, because he kind of sets the tone of you know, there are so political books, particularly post more than political books can be incredibly boring, and he sets the tone that this is not what he was expecting from her. And I think a lot of people, particularly within the Beltway, will be talking about this, and so I just want to take a moment and tell our listeners. If you guys are talking about it, please be sure to tell your friends that NLP tackle this topic, this topic and share it among your group chats, because we want to know if our thoughts reflect yours and want to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Andrew, what's your take on this book?
Speaker 4: You know, just pulling back, I think it's impressive to see her really sound like herself. And I guess what I mean by that. Again, Angela alluded to this. For those of us who have been in you know, contact, or have had any real significant relationship with the vice president, we know the authentic side, the real side, And I think she invites the readers, at least so far in this excerpt, and if this is a sign of things to come with the full with the full writing of the book released later, you know, this month. Then I think we're in for a less filtered, almost to unfiltered truth teller and Kamala Harris, who's really prepared to square up with the ways in which she's been wronged, the ways in which the credit that she's rightfully earned has not been provided given to her right she hadn't been given her flowers. And I also think will get a less filtered version of her policy self, so her political self, her policy self, and I think her true sort of I'm Kamala. I'm Kamala, not the Kamala Harris, but I'm kamala introduction for regular ordinary folks who just want to know that there are points of relationship, points of relate where you where they can say, oh I do that too, she does that, Oh I do that too. I think that's eluded her for a lot of her political career, that relatableness between everyday common folks. And then the only other thing I'd say, just sort a big picture would be I've already started hearing some of the conversation amongst the punditry class sort of reading this excerpt in contrast to how Biden would feel, what Biden would think, And I just want to say this is her writing, this is reflecting her herolding journey, unprecedented in American history lift from vice president to presidential contender because the city president of the United States steps back from the nomination. So it's okay if she centered in this, It's okay for the book that she wrote to be about her experience from her perspective and not centering Joe Biden in that. That's not disloyal. I'm not being disrespectful to him. I'm simply reminding us that we can read her words and take them as hers in their own singular context without having to compare her or contemplate how's this going to land with Joe Biden's world.
Speaker 3: You kind of get.
Speaker 1: Into some of my thoughts around this, Andrew, because I do think this is a bigger deal to the chattering class, to the punditry class than it is to America.
Speaker 3: Writ large.
Speaker 1: I will say when I was reading the excerpt in The Atlantic, that she does speak right to the heart of black women.
Speaker 3: Like she goes.
Speaker 1: She starts out with speaking to Zeta Phi Beta sorority. She gives a shout out to the Divine nine right off the top. She talks about the Bulet, and so I think there are so many black people who will immediately relate to this, and particularly her being this over qualified woman who was standing behind and ailing. Some might are you failing in health anyway, man, and so yes, that will resonate. I also saw a counterpart in that, and I think this is where it's always been a balance right on what I would personally find interesting versus what the audience at large would find interesting. I also know there will be people Black people in particular, who do not relate to the Bulet, who do not relate to the Divine Nine, who do not relate to fraternities and sororities in private colleges and HBCUs, and who will still feel I do not this writing does not connect with me. And so I think a lot of these political posts more are so exciting to the Beltwegh class and not necessarily to people outside of that, given what's happening in the country. I also think I so understand her frustration, and it's like I get to tell my story. I will not be muzzled in this moment, and I want to tell you all this is what happened to me. I wonder if the appetite among the American readership, the ever dwindling American readership, because we all know how hard it is in publishing right now, if the appetite is less, like we want to know what happened versus we want to know how do we defeat Donald Trump and his minions? Right now, I don't know how much people will latch onto what was happening last year, given that we are in a state of panic right now. So look, personally, I am going to consume this book. Like I said, I read it and I thought, oh, you are going there, and this is an excellent excerpt to read to attract you to it. I just don't know if the American people have the appetite for it right now. I think a lot of black women, black people with disposable income will most certainly buy this book, and I anticipated that it will spend a lot of time on the New York Times bestseller list, and my best wishes to her, I hope it does. I have completely divorced myself from the Beltway class their opinions about it. Of course, they will send her a white man in this and I would just if they happen to ever listen to NLP. I mean, I think they have to reckon with the fact we talk all the time. We have a group chat when we're together, we talk about things we rarely and even in our group.
Speaker 3: Chats outside of each other. I can't tell you.
Speaker 1: The last time somebody has said, oh my god, did you guys see what happened on me depressed today?
Speaker 3: Did you guys watch the panopolists today?
Speaker 1: Like they are the anachronisms. Nobody gives this shit what they have to say. So the fact that they're centering Biden shows how disconnected they are from a multi demographic society that has complet lely left them behind. They have still trafficked in a media landscape that has been completely bleached by their myopic, outdated, anachronistic viewpoints. And she's clear, but she is clear to She's like C d G A f okay. She's like, I'm coming out, guns of blazing, and I'm saying what happened, So we'll see how how people respond to it.
Speaker 5: I just I just no, no, no, I think that the other part of this, that that is important, based on some of the feedback that I'm seeing online, I'm curious about it, and I will say in full disclosure for those who are watching at home, this is not a place where I represent the best of journalistic integrity. I'm very biased. I love her deeply, and so I've been curious to see what the comments were. And some folks are like, why now, why didn't you say that? Then you know where have you been? And I think all of those questions are fair. But one thing that I'm hoping that this book does is give us a new frame for what can happen, even miraculously so in such a short timeline. Again, they were talking about a campaign that was run over a billion dollars worth of a spend in one hundred and seven days. So what happens if all of the people come together and think the best and the brightest, and all of our ideas and all of our innovation. We know what he's torn up in more than one hundred and seven days, But what happens if we come together to see real systemic change, if we put our best thinking together in one hundred and seven days? And I think that is the offering that she also gives. It's not just a reflection, it's an opportunity to lean into what happens if we really come together in ways that I think are, frankly, i'm precedented in this country for all the reasons we know, including the fact that America is in fact a racist country. But I hope that people will ask her why did it take this long? I hope that people will not center Joe Biden or anybody else's whiteness so much that they can't understand that, yes, this man has been diagnosed with cancer, Yes he is undergoing treatment, and yes it is still her story to tell. And no, she does not have a whole lot of bandwidth or room to decide when the publisher decides to move forward the book. You know, there are all these things. So I think that you know, the fact that she wrote it, it took her longer to write the book than it took her to run a campaign one and two, it's still a pretty I mean, if you know, it's a pretty escalated timeline for the release of a book.
Speaker 1: So yeah, anyway, Andrew, but I want you to talk. I have a question after.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Okay, just real quick, but first of all, listen, her vice presidency like just ended. I know it has felt like we've been through the three World War World wars and all this kind of stuff as because the speed and and just dizzying pace of of the of the ruining of what we know is the American fabric that this administration of the Trumps has undertaken. But in truth, this is probably about the right time that you can step back from a situation as un precedented and unparalleled as what she has experienced, because not only was it the one hundred and seven days, but it was also doing that one hundred and seven days as a black woman and as a woman, And those are layers that also in the first rendering of these excerpts that sort of really really pierced me was how much concentration and emphasis was put on how she had to present next to Biden, how she needed to appear, how she had to demure, how she needed not to be impressive in her speaking style, how she, you know, didn't need to be the political winner on public on public policy issues pursued by the administration for fear that it might dim the light of the sitting president. When you're the sitting president, ain't nobody gonna dim you light. You must you may give it away, but you still are the president of the United States. But but we knew this with our going in, and there were lots of people in Biden world who were very much so uh suspicious of her after that debate where she bought in bussing and we're unforgiving of her from that moment I was at that debate, I remember gasping like, oh God, this is yeah, okay, so this and it was a lasting thing. I think it still lasts for a number of people and for those listeners who you know, may not have a complete relationship what I'm speaking of. This is a book that I think every woman in politics, every woman period who is trafficking and trying to be taken for your full worth, to be seen as a whole person and not a division of all the various parts of yourself. Of women with ambition. And also it's important for men who work with women who were equal to the task, if not greater to to to to understand that we're not the center of the universe and everything doesn't revolve around us. We're not the sun. By we water and flower and bring life and enlightenment to everything else around us. We all cooperate, right, We're like a body and they're no there are no extraneous parts. There's just the whole body, and you got to treat it well. And I think that's how politics, and particularly politicians the Democratic Party really deserve an evolution here around this. We think of ourselves as forward thinking around women and centering the needs of women, but then in real practice, it's like if the man ain't in the middle, you know, and that your actions are then basically designed in contrast to mine, then you're a lost cause you're too ambitious. I'm suspicious of you because you won't be loyal because I don't know you have designs on your life too. Your designs need to be focused and based on my designs, and that's how you design what you want to do. And I think that that that belief that patriarchy is is alive and well in both parties, but an American political culture period, I think we all.
Speaker 1: Will have to disaggregate women, right, you know, because I don't know that black women necessarily feel aligned or allieship with white women in politics. And I don't even mean just like Trump supporters, I mean just in the Democratic Party. I don't know that there is a lot of commonality in our interests at times, you know, there are definitely members of Congress who are white women who I think espouse beliefs and things that I do not connect with, some things that run contrary to my own humanity. So that's why I said, I think she speaks right to the heart of black women here.
Speaker 4: But I take your point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely take your point.
Speaker 4: I just think in the concentric circles that there's a circle there that I think all women will see familiarity. Yes, but I think you're completely right that her experience is coming from that of a black woman in politics, right.
Speaker 1: But I hope that white women can learn because I think some of the people that she was talking about who were saboteurs on a lot of her initiatives were white women in the Biden administration. But I want to get back to something right precisely. But I want to get back to something Angela said because this is a legitimate question, and I think people say, well, why didn't you say that then? And Angela you know better than anyone, and Andrew certainly you do too. This is why I want your thoughts on this. Andrew, you were on a short leaked list of potential VP running mates for Hillary Clinton. Angela you've navigated politics from Capitol Hill, and you also, in your position on Capitol Hill, worked with the Obama administration on a lot of things, so we kind of know the social norms and morays of politics, and it really is that the vice president is not the person out front. The vice president does typically genuflect to the position of President. Joe Biden himself, uh, you know, had a few faux pause on that he was out front on gay marriage before Obama really said anything, and he was also making a lot of social gaffs during the Obama administration. I just think in this era of Trump, because as people are asking that question, I hope they can understand that that has been the tradition in Washington. You know that you are You're not the star. You're there to support the president. Some people argue the role of VP is very superfluous, but I wonder in the era of Trump, if that has all gone out the window, like it has to, all of our norms have to go out the window. And I think this is probably the first political post mortem book that does that from a VP role, and I wonder how this will inform because she has been the first to step out there and say, you know, f that, let me tell you what was really going down. I wonder how this will inform future VP roles, particularly under democratic administrations, if we are ever to see one again, which we'll also get to later in the show, and again is a hot topic. So I hope y'all are sharing this because I want to hear from y'all in the comments. What y'all think if you're going to buy the book. If you bought the book, what you think about it? Is you read the read the excerpt and all that, but just cure your thoughts about that for the VP role Andrew or Adela, whomever want to take it.
Speaker 5: So I think there's a few things here. There's, you know, this convergence even of experience that we that we're going through right now. Tip to your point around living and fascism and the obligation that we have to speak up so that history is not only kind to us, but that we did with the best we could for future generations. And I wonder if some of her calculus wasn't you know, I have an obligation and I agree with Andrew here for all women, because I'm the first woman period to serve in this role. Do I have an obligation to tell you the hurdles I had to climb, the hills I had to you know, uh scale to really make this more and more equitable space for you. So I wonder if she was like, you know, I know what the norm is, but do I defy the norm? Because if I don't, is there going to be another? That's the first consideration. I think the second consideration is, you know, given where we are right now and here history, it's like, yeah, like there's kind of a collective obligation that hopefully we all feel to tell the truth and shame the devil, because if you don't really start telling the truth about the many like errors, challenges, mistakes that this party, the Democratic Party, has historically not learned from, they are bound to continue to make the same mistakes and bound to continue to lose. I kind of resent some of the commentary I've seen y'all, and I know I might be the one I'm like TIF today in the comments, but not from Native Lampard. I'm on the book. But I wonder if, like if some of what I'm feeling is like, oh, there's this whiny they're talking about. She sounds whiny in the book, which also sounds like a gender you know thing. It's like you can't have you can't logic complaint, you know, when you feel like you stepped out of the Senate where you were like America's darling and Senate hearing rooms, and then now you're going back into a space where you just have to kind of carry the briefcase. And I don't even think some of that is the norm. There are other vice presidents that were more robust and more visible. Mike Pence was not one of them. I think a lot of people don't even remember he was a.
Speaker 4: VP, but that changed at all different.
Speaker 5: Sorry, there's tables moving in here, so I don't know if you can hear both.
Speaker 4: Okay, we can.
Speaker 3: Hear you, and maybe you should tell us. Can you tell us where you are if you don't mind.
Speaker 5: I am in Montgomery, Alabama in a conference room. You know we heard folks were so sorry, let me go on mute. So it's not.
Speaker 4: Yes, the vice presidential as a role does does tend to gen reflect to the to the to the principal, the president. You try not to get in front of your president, and that makes good sense. But once a vice president is provided a portfolio by which the administration expects her to take the lead. You do expect then that the platform, the the opportunity is then created to help the vice president excel on that portfolio. We all saw out the gate. They gave her immigration, and of course many of us crushed our heads saying, wait a minute, you gave her an issue that even George Bush, when you know, going back since Reagan, right since Reagan's embrace of immigration, the Republican Party turned wholesale against it and further administrations with the exception of a Bush who came behind him, George Bush Junior whatever is what is it, the third or the second son, baby Bush, George W. W. Bush, who came in, frankly saying, we need a pathway to citizenship. He tried to get that through Republican Congress, couldn't make it happen. Obama, same deal. We wanted to try to provide a pathway. So you gave her a portfolio that even presidents with parties in their control in the House and the Senate can't make happen. And you've now set that in the lap of the vice president of the United States, which I just saw as a setup from the very beginning, and on the whiny thing, y'all, History isn't whining, Okay, History is just history. History is what has happened. And so I absolutely believe that that's a gender related insulting assault. And I think we're gonna hear a lot of that, and and frankly it's because of our conditioning. And I actually think some of the worst critique of her will probably come from other women, to be honest about it.
Speaker 6: Who will who will?
Speaker 4: Who will want to set themselves apart as basically saying if this had been my experience, I would have kept it under the rug into myself. Some in our community will say, is she being disloyal? And again, I thought she was an incredibly loyal vice president, and I think even in her writing here she's incredibly loyal. When she does takes wipes at the adminised that she was a part of, she takes swipes at the handlers surrounding the president who caged on a number of issues and tried to block his passes to her in many instances. And so I just, I just, I just think people should one, if you are a supporter of these folks, get out and buy the book. Don't make it a question. Just just do it, like Nike says. And then the other thing is is look at it with a how do you say, a graceful eye, Read it with a graceful eye. All those got judgments and and backseat you know, driving and and and quarterbacking. But you don't know. None of us know because we've never been there, all right, And if you have, maybe you can say a little something. But if you haven't, take it for what it is somebody else's attributed story of what happened, how they experienced it, and then what they want us to know coming out of it.
Speaker 5: I got competitors in the political podcast space to who I'm eager to.
Speaker 3: See, Oh, I know you're talking about, don't get you know? Who are eager to.
Speaker 5: See how they respond to this because they, especially around the primary time, where there was, you know, a conversation about a contested convention and whether or not Kama Hair should be the nominee.
Speaker 3: They had some things to say about Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: So now that it's the black woman that came forward, I'm eager to see how they respond.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I'm just gonna say, pod Save America. I wanted to see because I do feel like they speak to a different demographic than we do.
Speaker 3: But you know, okay, and maybe others.
Speaker 1: But I know that particular podcast I feel sometimes does not necessarily include our audience and our listeners. I think they have a more bleached audience, I'll say.
Speaker 4: But I imagine the testament will be interesting. I think it will be reflective of what they are capable of doing. I agree, based off their walk in life, exactly as we are based off our walk.
Speaker 3: Exactly in life.
Speaker 1: But I imagine that we'll be talking about this for this probably won't be the last time we'll talk about this because her actual book, uh, you know, we'll have to read the whole book. Right now, we're just reading the excerpt that you can find in The Atlantic, So I hope other people it is behind the pay will also try to get a subscription if you can, or get somebody to cut and pace and send it to you. If you don't have a subscription, but looking forward.
Speaker 4: To say coins and buy it. On the twenty third, they.
Speaker 5: Got some DVDs they slinging in the barbershop. Okay, I just mean for the excerpt.
Speaker 1: But please do buy the book when it comes out, but definitely would love to hear your thoughts in the comments on the excerpts, because y'all know I stay in the comments, but yeah, we should.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to get into something else. Donald Trump really thinks that he's going to run for a third term. No, it's not constitutional, and yes, this man is crazy enough to think it can happen in these crazy times. Who knows we're going to get into that. On the other side of this break, people are asking me to run and there's a whole story about running for a third term.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I never looked into it, and they do say there's a way you can do it, but I don't know about that.
Speaker 6: But I want to do a fantastic job.
Speaker 7: In an exclusive phone interview, NBC's Christen Welker asked the President about a possible scenario where Vice President Vance is elected with President Trump as his running mate, and then Vance steps aside, the President saying that's one method, but there are others too, saying he would not talk about them.
Speaker 1: So that was Donald Trump toying with the idea of a third term. And I wanted to talk about this topic because I don't think people are taking this seriously enough while we're focused on Epstein and kind of just like yellow salacious topics. This is a really frightening story to me. But the breaking news banner that you see above the vote and newspaper sections is all about something else and not taking this seriously. It came up again this week because Supreme Court justices rarely give interviews, They rarely are out front talking, but two Supreme Court justices spoke about this. First, I want you all to take a listen to Justice Amy Cony Berry in an interview with Fox News.
Speaker 3: Is Brett bear.
Speaker 6: Right and the twenty second Amendment says you can only run for office for two terms?
Speaker 8: True?
Speaker 6: You think that that's cut and dry.
Speaker 8: Well, that's you know, that's what the amendment says, right, you know after FDR had four terms that that's what that amendment says.
Speaker 1: Now, take a listen to Justice Sonya Solda Mayor on the View this week, being posed that same question by former Trump administration official Alissa Griffin.
Speaker 6: Do you believe the twenty second Amendment is settled law? The Constitution is settled law.
Speaker 8: Yeah, No, one has tried to challenge that. Until somebody tries, you don't know. So it's not settled because we don't have a court case about that issue.
Speaker 6: But it is in the constitution.
Speaker 8: And one should understand that there's nothing that is the greater.
Speaker 6: Law in the United States than the Constitution.
Speaker 4: Of the United States.
Speaker 1: I'm frightened about this. I do not think people are taking this seriously enough. And this is why I keep saying, you know, if we have midterm elections, and when we talked earlier about in the last segment about secession, and if we have another democratic administration in the White House, I just I am baffled at this white media landscape. That's like, oh that that crazy Trump. Yeah, Trump being Trump.
Speaker 3: What are you all like? Is this something that keeps you all up at night?
Speaker 5: I wonder, So I won't say this is what keeps me up at night. I'm really concerned about like DC occupation and concerned about the people who are being disappeared. Literally, as I'm talking to y'all, there are three troops outside the window. And I got a text from a good friend of mine that Memphis is making an announcement tomorrow I'm sorry, an announcement this week that the National Guard is going there too. So there are some things that it sounds nuts to say, Tiff, I actually feel bad about this coming out of my mouth. But there are some things that feel more pressing. Right now. I'm given that we're being forced to drink out of a fire hose in real time and consistently. There's some drama, there's some terrorism, there's something that we're having to answer to every single day. I do think, to be fair, this doesn't seem like something that white media is avoiding. The two clips that we just played is white media talking about this. What is scary to me, though, is it just seems like a passing conversation about like.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 5: And even more so I would expect I don't know, it's not a Supreme Court opinion, but I don't want Sonya sot A majority to sound as passive about it as Amy Cony Barrett. I would have loved to hear her say, you know, well, you know, before this administration, the constitution was settled law, and before this administration or before this attempt at this administration, we would have never considered criminal immunity in the Supreme Court for a sitting president. Before this administration, we went don just like she did with the ice raids opinion. So I'm actually more I know you were mad at the media law, but I'm actually more frustrated with the ways in which these justices who have these lifetime appointments, at least for now, it's supposed to be settled law, right, you know, I want you to give that the same energy that you would protect that job friend, you know, And I just I don't. I don't even hear that. I was more alarmed by her response. Listen, like, wait, what you know.
Speaker 3: Something? And it might have been, but.
Speaker 4: Technically is it's been litigated before the court and it's been settled. There's an opinion that says this is what the Constitution says, and the Court has now affirmed it through case such and such and such, because no one has ever dared tried the most settled of all settled law in the land, which is, you know more, I shouldn't say the most settled, the most bedrock of all the law in the land, the constitution of which other laws emanate. It's where other laws, uh get their power, is through its constitutionality. So she's right on that point, But she's also right in saying nobody has dared tried this before. And I also think she's probably being careful, especially given the conservative media landscape out here, the conservative landscape period in this country, not to exempt herself out of this case. Should Trump have his way and set up an instance where this question makes this way before the court, at which point you can't have a justice out there opining their opinion or they might be asked to not make, you know, not be able to sit for a case because they've already opined their opinion opinions about has.
Speaker 5: A different set of obligations in there.
Speaker 4: It may and I'm just I'm simply saying, given the conservative landscape that we are living in, they would be so happy to take a clip from Justice on your soda mayor expousing or extended comments about the fact that absolutely the Constitution says what it says and there's no reproach. Well, the truth is is that the Constitution has had reproach. I mean, people bring suits on the basis that a thing is unconstitutional and pushing the limits of the boundaries of what the Constitution actually says. But if you are a conservative jurists, which Amy Colly Barrett, appointed by Donald Trump, says that she is it means you take the text literally and I don't know how many literal derivations derivatives you can get from a person can only run twice for the presidency, right, and they go for letther say they don't have to be consecutive, but rather that you just simply cannot run twice. But to mention my own become amy comby Barratt of four terms served by Roosevelt. She knows that that was prior to the prior to that constitutional amendment. In fact, that constitutional amendment emanated from the fact that we did not want a president being able to serve four terms. Prior to that, the Constitution was silent on it, and we relied on the example of George Washington and his willingness to step away from that most powerful office at that time after two terms. That was all we had. Well, now we got law that says this is what it is.
Speaker 1: But I think also the idea that we have to confront that the Constitution is just a piece of paper. I mean, Donald Trump has like declare that, like, these are just rules and laws that y'all made up, don't I don't like guide right exactly, Like this is a framework. But if I don't like something, then I don't want to do it. And I think what's at the root cause of our concern, our collective concern, because Angela, you're talking about, well, that's not what's keeping me up at night, because there's this urgent thing you mentioned drinking from the fire holes.
Speaker 3: But it's really all the same thing.
Speaker 1: It is is Donald Trump just skirting our democratic norms and pushing the limits of power and testing these systems until they're broken, and flooding us with chaos until chaos seems normal. You also mentioned I have to say, I've not seen the reporting on Memphis, and I know the Republican governor there, Bill Lee, has said in recent weeks that he is not interested in deploying the National Guard, so that hasn't been reported yet. But that does not mean that it's not on the precipice of happening right now.
Speaker 5: And it leads us to a question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, potentially, see it leads us to a viewer who had that same compar.
Speaker 5: I'm missuring you that it's it's from an elected official.
Speaker 9: Have you guys noticed how Detroit, Michigan has been omitted from the list of places at the National Guard.
Speaker 3: It's being sent to you by the President.
Speaker 9: He's named Baltimore DC LA Elisha Kato as many negative connotations as Detroit has had over the years, as much crime written as he's been saying to our CNE. But for us to be omitted from the list noticeably multiple times every time, then now so, and I'm waiting for our name to be at it.
Speaker 6: It's not.
Speaker 9: And there's no scarier time for a person in an abusive relationship than when their abuser goes silent or pauses the cycle. Why could you know you're not out of the abusive relationship? So either you are a in the discard phase where you don't even care whether I've live or die, or more than likely the latter, which is b you plan something extra sinister for that person, your victim, Because I'm like, what you gotta plan for us for twenty twenty six. So if y'all have heard anything any rum planers about what's playing for Michigan in twenty twenty six, because we got a manor or election happening. When we got a thirty seven year old black woman who is leading leading in the post. We also got Garland kill Chris the lieutenant governor who's black man running for governor of state of Michigan against independent Mike Duggan.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna keep myself.
Speaker 9: On that to the side. But have y'all heard anything about what he has planned for Michigan, because honey, I need to know.
Speaker 5: I love that quiet rightly whisper like somebody right there.
Speaker 1: But this is the point that how quickly you can move And if I wasn't disputing what you were saying, I was responsibly saying that there had been no reporting about it. But certainly things can happen so quickly that there sometimes there isn't a warning.
Speaker 3: And to her point about Detroit, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, we could wake up to we don't know, we could wake up tomorrow and there it won't just be Memphis, or it could be Memphis Detroit, like who knows. So it's very frightening, and I think that is rooted in this discussion, how quickly these things can happen, and like, how do you address these challenges? When I first, because we've read the transcript of her question, I'm like, and she wanted them to come to destroy but hearing her the concern and her voice, and thank you, by the way for taking the time to record that video and share it with us. I don't even know how we combat that.
Speaker 4: I really don't know, actually helpful, I mean, actually really really app analogy. I will tell you anytime Trump gets gets in hot water. I started getting more and more concerned. Right, So, the Epstein industris earlier in the week, and then the next thing, we know, you know, in Chicago, they didn't you know, they've unleashed already. Homeland security folks were operating in the city the next morning after the breaking of the whole Epstein thing takes place, and then immediately and I ken't remember that what the timing was. You all make correct me? Uh, this is one of the topics I wanted to bring up a little bit later, was the whole dropping bombs on a speed boat in international waters. So I just think we're all anything is on the block, period. But absolutely, when Trump is overwhelmed by criticism, just hold on, just.
Speaker 7: Holding on this.
Speaker 1: But I do think this does happen in Tennessee. This would be the first time that he's doing this. Correct me, if I'm wrong, I could be exactly accurate and a Republican led states. But to me, once that happens. It opens the door for a lot of other things.
Speaker 5: But this is the thing that I jump It is important for us to contextualize. He is sending the National Guard into Memphis, of course, and there that is a black mayor. The challenge we have is the very thing that we flagged on this show about the way that Marrio Bowser was almost welcoming to Donald Trump. Because Memphis is mayor is cut from a similar cloth as Mariel Bowser. So he is cooperating in advance with this based on what I'm being told from an elected official source. So it is a little different because we know that the state also has some responsibility for the National Guard. We know that they're fine with it, and then you have someone who's a willing participant at the mayoral level in Memphis. The other thing that I was going to flag for the question Lakisha, again thank you for sending it in, is there is an election in Detroit, but it ain't happen yet. So Mary Sheffield ain't the Mary yet. Who is the mayor? Is Mike Duggan, who is running against Garland for the gubernature in the gubernatorial race. Why does that matter? This man is a partner with several MAGA folks on several investments, including completely whitewashing Detroit, and so I still think it is different. There is a wink and nod relationship going on here, and you will see that some of the pressure is ramped down with folks who Donald Trump has a good relationship with. He is an ego maniacal human being. That is how this works. So I think that is important we can there is a there is a system. But I think that no matter what, he wants to make a black mayor look bad, and I think no matter what, where he has a good relationship where someone's will willfully stroking his ego, he needs showing up the same way.
Speaker 4: But it will it will be an interesting challenge to see how a Republican governor, because mayors don't have say over the National Guard or its deployment. The confrontation is with the governors. Because you deploy national Guard in my state, it is an affront to me. You say, you're coming into my state and we can't handle the issues of crime or that that city within my state can't and so you're going to basically borrow the power of the governor. Because the governor is the one who generally generally is responsible for calling up the National Guard. The last time prior to Trump, deployed National Guard soldiers was to get you know, was to integrate Southern UH public schools. So so it's not a practice that that presidents generally utilized, which I know we all know, but I do. I am interested. I actually am very I wish it wouldn't happen, but if it is going to happen, I'd be curious to know how a governor, a Republican governor is going to stand when his state is in the crosshairs. Is he going to stand with the people of his state and say, you're not going to degrade us this way? Or does he say, hey, we've got the welcome that rolled out, come on in.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: But well, the framing of the discussion when when this initially started happening is well, why not do this in Republican led states? And I had such an issue with that because it's like, no, we're not trying to normalize this. And again I understand, I just want to be clear. This is something somebody said this to Angela. An elected official said this to Angela, that this is happening. We're not saying it's happening. Angela's saying, this is what I'm being told that it's happening. But again, in Trump's America, we have no I like, literally, you wake up and it's like, at any moment, it could be a breaking news banner that he's deployed.
Speaker 3: But this will.
Speaker 1: I do think this will be a game changer if he starts deploying these folks in Republican led states, because then that puts a whole lot of other cities like Jackson, Atlanta and when you usually you should count. He said, he already said he was sending it into New Orleans.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm like, this is as yet what you're saying. I'm just telling you he does not care. He does not have There's no safety net or or or or a hedge of protection for a black mayor in whether the state is red, blue, purple green, whatever. If they are a black mayor who is not willing to bend the knee, they are in harms.
Speaker 6: Way.
Speaker 3: I disagree you black people, period.
Speaker 4: And guess what this may be. How people started learning about where these things are popping up is on the hotline, and it's back to your point earlier point, Angel Love, like we have to get into we need to know our neighbor, We need to know our people, because it may get to the point where it's like, hey, y'all, is a red alert.
Speaker 1: Speaking of red alert, Andrew, I know that you wanted to talk about what's happening in Doha, which is also crazy and major.
Speaker 4: Well, of course, the third term is deadly dangerous for us in the US. But there's some of the things deadly dangerous, and that's this widening distabling on the global stage. You we'll talk about that on the other side of this break. I know a lot of folks are We get it from our listeners, and we get it from manage a little bit too. You know, the international issues can be a bit distraction. But I want before we go to Doha, I just want to say no, no, no, I mean, you say, focus on international because we got so much going on domestically, and I think that's probably a view shared by our listeners as well. We we got to protect ourselves, and this is in the vein of protecting ourselves, because we got to see ourselves at the intersection of these of many of these issues where we do come into focus. Yes, we we heard about the strikes and and Doha. I know I've I've been, Angela. I know you've traveled to Doha, uh Tiff, You've been everywhere.
Speaker 1: I've never been to Doha. I've never been to Guitar.
Speaker 4: Well it is, I have to tell you. Aside from the stifling, uh dry heat, it was a beautiful, you know, a beautiful visit. I of course had my exceptions with the politics of the conservative bend and and and the politics and the place. But nonetheless, it is a sovereign country, which in sovereign means to them, you know, they have the right of borders. They have international rights of being seen as a separate, as a autonomous state, separate and apart from any other, which means they have the rights of self determination. You can't just fly over their airspace. You just can't drop bombs on them without declarations of warsaw and so forth. But before really digging in it, I just want to say, Trump and none of us should miss this really really stretched the presidency and our understanding of international law. Earlier this week, this past weekend, when he decided that he was going to send the United States military to intercept a speed boat, and I think the speedboat had like eleven people on it, but nonetheless it was a personal vessel, right, not a military vessel a threat of any sort that we know of. And he basically extended what would have normally been a protocol that would have been undertaken should there have been a weaponized military imminent threat on the United States, which then we would be compelled to respond. But he decided that he believed that drugs were being trafficked over international waters with their destination being the United States of America, even though the boat was in the Caribbean, and decided to use the United States.
Speaker 10: Navy to take out this boat with citizens pedestrian citizens, not US citizens, but ped Venezuelan citizens on the boat.
Speaker 4: Now, typically the way this would have been handled is the coast Guard would have likely intercepted any vessel that they thought were trafficking drugs. They would haveborted it. They would have searched it and determined whether or not, and if it was determined that there were drugs on it, they would have been arrested and bought before courts and given due process of the law. Facts would have had to be established in this case, y'all, this man decided, Yeah, there are drugs on the boat. These are bad people. I'm a drop some bombs. We're going to take them out. They're now sitting in the bottom of the Caribbean Ocean and it's handled. We don't know where that boat was going, we don't know whether it had drugs on it, we don't know who the people were that were on it, and no proof has been extended. So what happens to American citizens who maybe vacationing in the Caribbean, who might be on a boat and might be people who were critical of the president, and the president decides that he wants to send the US military based off of his precept of what he believes is happening, and take you out. I just want us to think about what an explosion, an extension, an incredible extension of law that is, and the fact that this was so close. I guess I take it more personally because I'm a Floridian and I got family Andbeminy and Bahamas. You know, we travel on the like is going to Miami right from where I live. That's how commonplace it is. And in those international waters that a president of the United States can decide to take us out off of an assumption not proven and no due process accorded, law involved whatsoever. That's what took place here. And so the license that he creates here, we're not seeing that same license being extended across the world. Now. Yah, who doesn't inform the United States, who is their protector, who basically pays for the military and is the security guarantee for Israel, doesn't inform the United States and decides to enter with with drones or actually these are their their aircraft go into a sovereign nation and drop bombs in a residential area. And just so you know about this residential area, this is a part of Doha where many expats and foreign diplomats live and they drop We already know they don't care about people's lives because they drop bombs on hospitals and kill women, children, kids, and journalists. But in this case, you now ventored a sovereign territory where the United States has a huge military outpost, huge military base, and don't consult anybody, and the wreckage there is still being accounted. And the last example I'll give is we learned this week in the middle of the week that Russia decided to send over four to eighteen drones, almost two dozen drones over Poland with their destination not being completely clear. Poland is a NATO ally of which the United States is compelled to defend if they are attacked. We don't invade people's airspace with drones or weaponry with no sense of where the destination is. If we, the United States were to send weapons over Poland, we would have to tell them what we're doing and ask their permission for their airspace. And so all I'm saying is that I can't treat these isolated because we, the leader of the free world, is setting the example that international law doesn't matter. In fact, laws on our own land don't matter. And therefore the innertial order, y'all is collapsing around us. And if you don't think that impacts us, think again, Well.
Speaker 1: There are a group of people who think it impacts us. Donald Trump is week attempted to have dinner out in d C. And the citizens I'm free people are going to continue to make him feel uncomfortable. Uh, this is what happened when he tried to have dinner at Joe's Stone Cold Crab Right here in the nation's capital.
Speaker 5: Take a list, stone cold crabt.
Speaker 4: What I say wrong, stone cold?
Speaker 5: I love it. That should be to do day and we should have a black by bad Oh my god.
Speaker 9: How like.
Speaker 1: So that is what happened when Donald Trump, and you can see him selling people get out of here, like get them out of here. He was dining with Defense Secretary Pete Excess, Vice President JD. Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and people let.
Speaker 4: Them know how the.
Speaker 3: Right exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: But I also saw people applauding and taking pictures of him, and he kept saying, how safety c is now. And that is the point, like it is safe for white Trump supporters to dine, but not anyone else. And so to your point, and to make that bridge between what's happening here domestically and what's happening across the world globally when you talk about you know, Russia's efforts in Poland, that is a part of Vladimir Putin's global ambitions and NATO stands in the way of that. And so we really are seeing Donald Trump reshape the global world order.
Speaker 3: Who are at We're.
Speaker 1: Treating allies as enemies and enemies as allies and it's a crazy time. And to Angela's point about all the things that we have to worry about here, I just feel like there's this convergence that's going to happen. We are in disarray here and our in, our actual enemies will look at this like this is the perfect time.
Speaker 3: The United States is in disarray.
Speaker 1: What a better time than to bring terrorism to their front door, to disrupt their sense of normalcy here. So I don't know, I'm quite afraid of it, and it's giving me a little bit of inks about what's happening on the global stage and what's happening here domestically. Angela, let me ask you, because I know that you know you uh some you know are curious about what's happening across the globe. What do you think, like do you draw a connection between what's happening here domestically and like how fearful are you in the order of a hierarchy about what's happening across the globe? Especially because I didn't know that you had been to Doha before, so having been on the ground there, I feel like you have a greater appreciation than I do about what it meant for the Israeli government to the bomb residential areas.
Speaker 3: So is any.
Speaker 5: Thoughts you know, t if I appreciate that, but I think I do want to bring it back home. Welcome home, y'all. For this very reason, I worked on the Homeland Security Committee too in the House how a uh security clearance. But also think it is important for people to understand that our instability, everything that is happening here is absolutely a matter of national security. So when you talk about bringing terrorism to our front door, absolutely. The other thing that we've we didn't talk about, but I hope we can soon, is the fact that they are asking ICE to secure this partnership with a digital firm that can hack into our phones, including encrypted apps like Signal that we readily rely upon. And I'm bringing that up to say, if you purchase the app, you think that they're not going to use that on your phone? Secretary Pete Heckson, you think that they're not like these are These are for and actors, and we are affording them access willfully, naively and really frankly dangerously. Right. So, I think that there are a number of places where we are at risk. Our infrastructure is at risk, our cyber security is at risk. Our homeland is at risk, and it is from natural and man made disasters. And the greatest man made disaster there is is Donald and Goddamn Trump. So I think that we have to be very clear about all of the many ways in which we're vulnerable. I would love for us to get a national security expert on. I do not purport to be one, but I think that we should have one on to talk about all of the many places that we are way vulnerable. And I think this is I think is one of those even you know, Andrew you talking about being in the wild, there are some spaces that we should not be susceptible to those kinds of threats. And it seems like all of the rules surprise, surprise are out of the window.
Speaker 4: But you know what a lilati if they have a common thread, and that is Trump is using what had previously been tactics held for foreign wars for foreign activity, and he has basically made them domestic. The military turned on its people, right, using the Navy for law enforcement and turning it's on its people. You going in and weaponizing our technology against us so that they can get into our phones and evade. Now all national all all guarantees we have over civil liberties. Those are those are tactics that they have extended in foreign wars that they are now turning on their own people domestically. It is against the law. It has been ruled against the law, but they are skirting the law in every way possible and basically taking what are militarized and national security apparatus, which are used to repel foreign agents and in rare cases, those that are domestic who are against us. They're using that apparatus and they're turning the whole damn thing on the four hundred plus million people who call this place home, the Free States of the United States of America. We gotta be careful building his own military force through homeland security. He's taken the military apparatus and he's pointing it at us. That's the danger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, heavy times, heavy times, you guys. I know we got to a lot today. I know we've probably overloaded the audience. But again, I hope that you all will share these conversations and rate, review, subscribe and all the things. And I read the comments, so I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below about former Vice President Kamala Harris's book about the global threats that we're facing, and most certainly about Donald Trump having a third term. And of course, if you have a question common if we say something you agreed with or disagreed with, do please drop us a video. We say welcome home, because we do really welcome you home. This is your home too, and so we you all are part of the conversation. We're not hosts talking at you. We're co hosts talking with you. And you guys are really co hosts too, because when you want us to talk about a topic, we will talk about that topic. So I look forward to looking at your videos and including them in the show. Let's get to CTA's let's get to these calls to action for real.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, what you guys? Did you make fun of me?
Speaker 1: By the way, earlier in the show, Andrew you said insults and assaults. That was some nice alliteration that I do plan on stealing. So I just want to give you a heads up now, got it?
Speaker 4: Hey, I appreciate I appreciate the attribution. At this stage, I know I won't see it again, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Here for show.
Speaker 4: You know what, folks, I would say, I don't know. This is for parents with kids who have just returned to school and that sort of thing. And I'm just I'm reminded of the fact that we can't take for granted that everyone is going to see our children's light and their talent, and that no matter what grade they're in and where and how accelerated they may be in their classes, that we still have to be our children's best and first advocate, speaking up, showing up at the the open houses, having those conferences with the teachers. If they don't schedule them, you initiate them to check in on your child, because so often they can be overlooked or their performance can be seen as anomalies rather than no, this is actually the standard at which they perform, and based off that, we recommend this, this, that, and the third. But we can just let hand our children. There's no other environment by which we would hand our children over to strangers, by and large, to us and take our hands off of them for seven eight hours of the day and not be curious about what happened in that period of time. And so I just encourage whether you're a parent, a grandparent, a godparent, whatever role you may serve in the child's life that we're still their best and first advocates always.
Speaker 3: I love that, Hadela. What you got.
Speaker 5: Mine is I want to urge you all, if you haven't, to please go back black black, go black, Yes, but also go back and listen to our episode with the Afro Bibleist. Oh yeah, I'm encouraging that because and if you need to do it like once a month. And I'm saying that because I really want us to be clear about the danger that lies ahead. I really want us to figure out what concerted effort, what role we can play in the times that are coming. Whether you are a funder and you want to help people with legal expenses in this very illegal setup that we find ourselves in, if you are a black farmer and you want to ensure that fresh produce is available to your community, if you have land and you want to make sure that there's a safe haven for those of us who need safety and lack shelter or property. I just want us to be very intentional about what assets, what talents, what gifts we have to pour into this communal pot in this environment. And please be ready. You know what they say, y'all, If we say ready, we ain't got to give thank you to flavor Flave Andrew you already went and tip you have.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I'm glad to go. Last.
Speaker 1: What I was gonna say, mine's a little woo woo. But I feel like we're all a little more sentiment so in our call saction this week. So I just had a long therapy session that I'll tell you guys about later, but it's really brought home the idea to me that life is so temporary, like so temporary, but not just temporary but brief, like it goes by, like the years can be seconds, like we really just are tiny grains of sand in this hour glass of time. And it has put in perspective for me because I would look back at my life and in my twenties and my thirties, it was like I was making all these plans, waiting for life to begin. And then when you get to forty and you look back and you're like, oh no, but life was happening all those times that you were making plans and waiting for life to start, your life was happening. Then life happens all around you, and so the decades are flying by and now that I'm closer to fifty than I am to forty, then I am the thirty twenty. It's really making me center the fact that every single day is a gift and every single day is happening right now, because I even find myself now waiting for life to begin. You know, maybe life will begin when I insert whatever, you know, when I get this dream job, when I get married, when I achieve something I don't know whatever your insert is, and I just don't feel that way. And so it started with small things for me. It's like, you know, I've always wanted this liquor cabinet, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To buy it, like why wait?
Speaker 1: Or you know I have this special bottle that I've been waiting the crack open.
Speaker 3: But it's today is special because.
Speaker 1: I'm alive and I'm well, and I'm here and I'm bearing witness to this history. So not letting the minutia of the day get me down, but really embracing the fact that I am living my life today. I am present, and even in some African cultures, there is no concept of a future, there's no concept of tomorrow, because it's just your imagination. Today is happening right now. So I just want to share that with everybody. And if it encourages you to be more present in this moment and live today, then whatever that means it looks like to you, I love that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you guys about it with you.
Speaker 4: But my mother in law, yes, please please tell me.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, my mother luve like, so you know how you have china cabinets and nice towels that you don't bring out except for my mother. Love does not live that way. It don't matter what she's serving, it's going if she's eaten by herself, it's gonna be on her china, it's gonna be on her fine dining. If she's gonna wear her you know mink, if she wants to, she's you know, you close to her over there at Alabama. Uh, Angela. But but I love that, And I found myself of late and honestly, this is an every night inventory. It has become is when my kids time to go to bed, I start like retracing, like did I spend enough time talking to them after school today? Did I spend enough time? Like it's kind of getting underneath just evaluating that in the you know, in the day, in the moment, and then trying to do better than setting myself up in the fantasy and the what hasn't come. But what I hope to manifest is that tomorrow I'll spend more time because, as they say, the days alone, but the years are short. Yea, And I think that's true for not just children, but you know, for for our individual lives. The days, yeah, they can be long, but the years are short.
Speaker 3: So true, so true.
Speaker 1: So I'm hoping that you all can take something from that and shout out to Andrew's mother in law. He talks about you all the time. The boy loved his mother and his mother in love.
Speaker 4: Your mama.
Speaker 3: We love mom, yes, absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: Well, as always we want to remind everyone that's listening, please please please be shared to subscribe to Native lamppod. Tell your friends, tell your mom and them, tell your cousins, tell your mother in law, everybody. We we certainly try to meet the moment each week and share our thoughts on what's happening across a wide range of topics. So if you're looking for more short shows like ours, please check out other shows on Recent Choice Media. It's Politics with Our Girls, a Jamel Hill off the Cup with Si Cup and of course the newest edition now you know with Noah Deboraso. Please be sure to give them a follow, check them out, let us know what you think about them, and don't forget to follow us to on our social media and subscribe to our text or email list at nativelandpod dot com. When you subscribe to that text, I want you know that's Angela's personal cell phone number, so she's giving you those updates. So being sure to subscribe.
Speaker 4: People, I should always be young people, girl always got anyway.
Speaker 1: We are Tiviny Gries, Angela right, Andrew Gilliam.
Speaker 3: There are four hundred and eighteen days.
Speaker 1: Until midterm elections, but we don't see if those actually happened.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, gotch you.
Speaker 2: We thank you for joining the Natives attention of with the info and all of the latest Roy Gillum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear. So grateful it took to execute roles than for serve, defend and protect the truth even in pace will walk home to all of the natives, We thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite show.