Speaker 1: What's up? His way up with Angela. He so excited for this conversation, for this Wealth Wednesday. I got my partner, Stacy Tisday here.
Speaker 2: Happy Wealth Wednesdays everybody, and we are balling today.
Speaker 3: We are balling big time in.
Speaker 2: An historic way and just absolutely honored to have the iconic legendary doctor C. B.
Speaker 3: Claiborne, who was Duke's first basketball player with us black Black Flah. Yeah, not the first one. And he did not come alone.
Speaker 2: He came with doctor Javier Wallace, who was an historian, professor and creator of the documentary CB Power to the Player, which we're going to be talking about today. And Fumi Agunro who is the co producer and co director and she's also an Emmy nominated film director.
Speaker 3: So we are Wealth Wednesdays is stylin today.
Speaker 1: Hey listen, we got the whole crew. Has so many questions. First of all, each of you could have your own segment on your own, but we're just excited to have you here. I had a chance to watch the documentary and I know part of what we went is for people to bring this documentary into their institutions and just spread the word.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Of course, one hundred percent. That's the big idea the way that it exists right now. We're welcome in schools, educational institutions, entities, people that are interested to reach out. So you can see the screening excuse me, see the short form. And the big goal is to make a feature link filming, So that's what we're aiming for, but most definitely people can bring it in.
Speaker 2: And just to back up where this came from. So howvier you're at Duke. Obviously y'all out there, and no, Duke is quite a basketball school and none of the play got you.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: Duke is either you love Duke and you hate Duke. It's really no in.
Speaker 2: Between, right And you were teaching and none of them and I know there's players, basketball players in your class and none of them knew who C. B.
Speaker 3: Claiborne was. What did that moment do for you?
Speaker 4: It really ignited something in me and I remember it almost like it was yesterday. It was the first class I ever taught at Duke. And walked through the door. Derek Lively, who's seven foot play got drafted by the Dallas Mavericks, walked through the door. Tyreeche Proctor walked through the door. Jeremy Roach walks through the door, Derek Whitehead walks through the door. Mark Mitchell. Five black, five black men's basketball player at Duke, and we're supposed to be learning about black Latin Americans in sport, but I just learned about CBE Claiborne's story. And when they walked in they sat down, I was like, what y'all know about CV crickets crickets And I'm like, no, this isn't right, this isn't right, because I knew at that moment that all five of those young men who happened to be black that were playing big time at Duke basketball were benefiting from the labor of the sacrifices of CB Claiborn. And so the next week I just hit doctor clay Worn up and I asked him to jump in on zoom and he came into the class on zoom and it was It just ignited something in me and I'll never forget because I saw them. They did a Day in the Life Mark Mitchell, and his next episode on his Day in the Life, he was in the car driving with Tyreek's and he was like, I just learned about CB Clayborne today bet y'all don't know who that is. And I'm like, okay, we did.
Speaker 3: Some Yeah, awesome that to CB claiborne.
Speaker 1: You had the opportunity to play, and Duke was not your first choice when you decided to go there, right right, And so talk to me about making that decision, because that's a big one to be the first black player on a team when they weren't even giving scholarships. And I have to imagine as young as you were, you couldn't even anticipate the type of things that would happen because it's unprecedented.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, so thanks so much for having us. You know, when I think back to nineteen sixty five, I went to a black high school, you know, and I had a great coach who had gone to Hampton Institute, and he started when we were in junior high school taking us to see the CIAA games. There was a Thursday where all the schools used to go, and Coach Allen had already introduced me to the coach of A and T, the coach of Winston Sale the legendary Big House games.
Speaker 3: You know, she went there, she got excited, yes, yes.
Speaker 5: And so I thought my future was set, you know, I was going to go to A and T or Winston Sale little more, one of the schools in the CI Double A and my teammate, the captain of the team the year before me, had gone to A and T. So I was leaning towards going to A and T and playing for cal Urban.
Speaker 2: Wow, we're gonna unpack all of that, and just a moment, just saying with the film for just a moment for me. When you heard about the story, what made you say this has to be a film?
Speaker 6: Well, I remember Hobbyer called me. I was in LA editing and he told me, you know, do you know who doctor Claiborne is? And I said, no, I don't. And once he told me who he was, I immediately wanted to help bring this story to life because I always say doctor Claiborne is a dynamic person. He's very unique, valigraatorian of his high school, top of his class, went to Duke for engine and then also the first black athlete on the basketball team. Like I wanted to tell the story.
Speaker 2: Doctor Clayman before you, if we even think about Duke in college, you were such a like part of the expression badass in high school. You got to meet the President of the United States. Tell everybody else smart you are well.
Speaker 5: So in those days, the Presidential scholars program had just started. I think we were the second class maybe, And so they would to choose two people from each state to be Presidential Scholars and go meet the president. And I was one of the people chosen from Virginia in nineteen sixty five. I got to go meet President Johnson.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, he's not telling the host I know. He's not.
Speaker 4: The test that you had to take to be awarded. He took it while going to ditch the actual test, didn't study for it, and he got caught up in the hallway by one of his guidance counselors and win it and did attest and then became a scholar, and.
Speaker 2: You were class president, and you were in the National Honor Society all that. What's interesting is colleges like Duke. Universities like Duke, they used to try to keep black players out by raising academic standards.
Speaker 3: And Duke wasn't this.
Speaker 2: Hey, we want to have the first black basketball player. It was your total picture that made them look at you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the ACC had set a nine hundred on your college board as a limit to get into the conference to get into school, and they had done that on purpose because a lot of the guys who were really good players didn't have a nine. Now that sounds really low today, but back in nineteen sixty five without all the studies and taking it two or three times, nine hundred was a decent score right.
Speaker 2: Well, And in the documentary one of the things that you say that really stayed with me. Okay, So now you go, you're at Duke and you say that one of the pathways of making change in the South during the sixties was athletics, So you weren't You ended up being so much more than a basketball player.
Speaker 3: But was that your intention?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think it was my intention, but there was no choice. I mean I grew up in Danville. Doctor King referred to Danville the same way he referred to Birmingham. It was one of the worst places in the South. So Bloody Monday was also about Danville, Virginia. A lot of my classmates were actually injured in that demonstration. So I had been exposed to this growing up, and there was really no choice. I mean, if you were black, you had to stand up for black kinds of things. And then I had all these teachers who had all gone to HBCU schools who are also saying, well, you know, this is what you do. So it wasn't like I made a choice, you know, it was just what I did.
Speaker 1: Said, tell me about yeah, tell me about the decision though, because, like you said, you had a lot of options. And part of it was also, they did give you a scholarship, right, Oh they didn't. I thought you said they did give you a scholarship.
Speaker 5: Well, I eventually got what they call a grant and aid okay, but they would not give me a basketball scholarship at Duke at the time. Although you know, starting in my junior year, this this test that Javier talks about me taking, I already had scholarships to college in my junior year, so I could have left school then. But we decided, and it wasn't just me, but a lot of us decided to stay and play our senior year for coach Allen. Although we could have gone to college in our junior year and you.
Speaker 2: Had options, but your community really pushed you to go to Duke, and especially when you just what you just told us about their history, why did they want to.
Speaker 3: Do that to you?
Speaker 5: Well, coach Benny Dix had gone to North Carolina Central in Durham and played there along with Sam Jones, who was also on the team at that time, so he had ultimate credentials. Now, it's an interesting story. I met coach Dix not playing basketball. We played against them every year, but I met him because my family kept borders and Coach Dix was dating one of the women that stayed with my aunt. So yeah, so he was actually kind of like a father figure. You know. He would advise me, give me quarters to go to the store, to get me out of the living room so they could have it by themselves and things like that.
Speaker 1: As they're watching the documentary too, we have a chance to see that. I mean, when they show the team, it's just white, white, white, white, white, white white. But I want to ask you, how are your teammates? How did they treat you? Because you did have people you bonded with, but what are some things that happened like that you could discuss.
Speaker 5: At that time, my teammates, believe it or not, by and large, were really good. You know, we didn't have any issues. Now, every time I walked on that court, four of the guys walked on the court with me who were white. And so when we'd go into the Deep South, I mean, we had to play freshman ball. So we played Alabama, we played South Carolina, we played Clemson, and every time we walked into a gym, the Confederate flags were flying, Dixie was playing. And I think to some degree it shot them more than me because they were from Indiana, they were from Chicago, they were basically from the north and the west Pennsylvania. But they hadn't been exposed to this kind of overt kind of racism, and so I think we did bond because of that, and they certainly experienced, you know what I was experiencing on the court, you know, for the first time personally.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you because as a figure skater and upstate New York, I had that overt racist experience daily as a young kid, and I wonder what did it do to you psychologically and emotionally.
Speaker 5: Well, I survived, whereas a lot of the guys who came south to integrate the ACC had a hard time. I mean, nowhere Toddman from New York came down, you know, Charlie Scott came down, and so it was tough for them because they hadn't exactly experienced that before. But I grew up in Danville, so this was not anything that I hadn't seen. Now, there were some times I was on the court I heard people yell things that I actually was embarrased. I mean, their kids were there, their wives were there, and these guys were shocked. But I had heard it before. You know, our general reaction to when somebody says something racist was yo, mama, And so it didn't It's been me out of shape as much as it been some of them. Psychologically, I guess I expected more, and over time that took a toll. But I really was able to adjust to it a lot more than some of the other guys, and I got to you know, I came in sixty five. There were only two other guys playing in sixty five. There were two guys at Maryland. One was a junior college transfer and another guy had come. He was on the varsity that same time. So we were the ones that were getting the brunt of all of this. But Maryland we had to play freshman ball. Maryland didn't go in to the Deep South, so they're freshman teams. You know, maybe played the university of Virginia, but they weren't playing Alabama and places like that, and so as a freshman any place of the varsity he played, I played. I mean, I remember one particular game in Alabama where I walked into the gym. There was not another black person in the gym, not even a janitor, right, and so crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, imagine that, and look at how basketball is sport.
Speaker 2: And I know the feeling you're describing because you were older and you had a team, and I just remember being little and I was away from my parents and just a judge came up to me one time and just said, have you ever in your life seen little black girls.
Speaker 3: On the ice?
Speaker 2: Is because you're not supposed to skate, and you're just like in shock, you know, you know, It's just an awesome feeling. And I'm glad to see how you responded to that with everything. A producer note before we continue with your story, Fumi, there's so much to him. I'm really curious when you're sitting in the editing room, you're too, Javier. What are the things that happened that you said, Okay, this has to stay in this.
Speaker 6: Well, Angela, you mentioned seeing that picture of the basketball team, and so at that point of the film, he's talking about his decision to make it to Duke and how the community really backed him and that it wasn't just your decision, it was the decision of the community that really helped you. And so my focus on the film was really telling that key part of the story because there's so much you can talk about. And we had trouble actually when we were looking at all the footage because he's just the dynamic person. We can talk about how the community really helped you. We can talk about how you actually played baseball as well. There's just so many different elements. So I had to stay on track. But when we developed the feature length film, we're going to dive into more of the different aspects of his life.
Speaker 4: And I want to quickly say, for me, not necessarily what had to stay. It was also thinking about what didn't need to be in there, okay, because just what doctor claim when it's saying now over the years of knowing him, he expressed that, you know, some of the things that he heard say to him made him embarrassed. He would never want to repeat again. And so I had a non black viewer view the film and they said, surely he would have witnessed a lynching. I'm like, what kind of question is that? And so at that moment, it was like who needs to see that violence? Like who needs to really understand how deep of a trauma that was? And how do we also protect the person that is still living with that trauma?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Like do we need to repeat all those things, like because certain people don't need to have such a visual example of what he's describing to understand. Being the only black person to walking to a gym in nineteen sixty six in Alabama in itself was enough. And they're singing Dixie Waven Confederate Flax. Why do I need to tell you exactly what the person said? And so we also were thinking about what doesn't need to be said to preserve the humanity of the person while still trying to produce a film that gives people that same idea of what was going on.
Speaker 3: Lucky for you, there's so much to his story. So we didn't just get to duke and play basketball. You made some changes, He made some changes. Let's talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 5: Well, So to put this in context, I don't think we've talked about this before. We were doing a lot of.
Speaker 4: It's always.
Speaker 5: We were doing a lot of self education at Duke. We made a demand for Black studies, right, well, there was no Black studies. I remember when the autobiography of Malcolm came out, you know, my roommate and I every moment we got we were reading that, trying to finish the autobiography, you know, Eldred's later sol on Ice Stokely, Black Power, I mean before the Mayflower. So we read all of these books as students, but they weren't part of our curriculum. And so later yes, when we formulated some demands, we said, we need African American studies. We need a chance for everybody to be exposed to this material that we had reached out for ourselves.
Speaker 3: You organized and protested.
Speaker 5: Well, it started just what do we have to do to have black studies or to have a course that represents us? And that was a couple of years before it actually grew to the level of a protest. We had tried other avenues before then.
Speaker 1: Right, I want to ask you this just to change gears a little, because you know, as an athlete you also get the ladies, and I want to I'm just wondering, Doctor Claiborne, what was that aspect of it like though? Just because you're the first and only black man on the team at Duke, So how was that type of response? Because I think we all know that when men, you know, that's part of what it is, are flocking to the athletes.
Speaker 3: But what was that like for you?
Speaker 5: So there was no shortage of women around?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: However, you know, I came along in the Black power era, and so we tended to push white women away. To be honest, it wasn't cool to be seen around campus with a white woman in those days. And North Carolina Central was right across town, right, and so eleven of my classmates were at North Carolina Centy, I mean, from my senior year had gone to North Carolina Central. So there was no shortage of women.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not gonna call that a digression.
Speaker 1: When it comes because I didn't think about I went to a very white high school, and I do remember some of the black athletes experience like some not so great things from you know, from yeah, yeah, from the white women.
Speaker 2: It's a whole, that's a whole, that's a whole other show. And we will a conversation we should definitely have. I don't want you to downplay your protests and what you did. You actually had a sit in that the National Guard came to. Can you tell us about that and what you guys were fighting for?
Speaker 3: And it had a name, right.
Speaker 5: So that was the Allen Building takeover. And by this time the Black Students Association had grown and had gotten behind those demands. We had tried to ask the President for hearing. We weren't getting anywhere, so we said, why don't we take over the building and demand the president to talk to us about that. It's President Doug Knight at the time, and this was not too long after Columbia. You know, we're in New York to talk about that, and they had done the same thing, the students at Columbia. We were kind of the first ones to do it in the South. But we did go into the building, and we went in early in the morning. We had a plan, and we locked the doors from the inside and put a chain around him so nobody could get in. And it wasn't long before the National Guard was called. And so in the film they captured the footage with tear gas and you know, the shields the masks, batons and all of that. They eventually broke into the building, you know, and.
Speaker 3: You guys had escaped though.
Speaker 5: Yes, there was a community organizer in Durham named Howard Fuller, that was his name at that time. But he came in across the roof from the next door building and then upstairs window and came down and said, the Guard is a massing they're going to break into here. You guys better leave, And so everybody found a different way out and I went out the same way Howard had come in, you know, through a third floor window, across the roof and down through the psychology building which was next door. And I was actually standing in the crowd and watching the National Guard inside through the windows, you know, going around breaking things, which we later got you know, a travel for.
Speaker 1: They said, you guys were breaking things and this Alan building takeover was a peaceful protest. So interesting that they would call the National Guard and instead of addressing real.
Speaker 3: Issues, we're like reading in protests, like.
Speaker 1: Imagine that we went more studies of our history and that's dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yes, So that's kind of a duke characteristiceing you know, you're protesting, you've taken over the building and you're studying.
Speaker 3: At the same time, it wasn't just about students. You were trying to get wages raised.
Speaker 5: So we had a list of demands, and at that time, some of the cafeteria workers and some of the other service workers, they were trying to get their hourly wages raised, and so that was among our demands as well. So those people, if you can imagine, became our family. Because you're on campus, you go to the cafeteria every day. Who do you see, you know that looks like you. In fact, for the basketball team, I was stuck there over Thanksgiving practicing and things like that.
Speaker 2: Sun plays, he spent he's played, he spent many holidays.
Speaker 5: Right, And I would go home with some of the cafeteria workers and they would make sure, you know, I had a holiday that felt like, you know what I was used to. So, yeah, we supported them, for sure.
Speaker 1: I was you know all of this also while everybody's been watching football lately and FIFA and all of that, and all of the talks about Argentina, which I didn't know Argentina was like that until yeah, go ahead, doctor heavier.
Speaker 4: Wile.
Speaker 3: I get started start.
Speaker 1: I've heard you've talked about Panama and what you've experienced when it comes to pan But can you talk about that too, because I think it opened a lot of people's eyes. I know for me, I was like, dang, I didn't know, you know, I just never even considered that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm Panamanian on my father's side and I've lived in the Republic of Panea. I actually studied a lot about race in Latin America, and I think what the FIFA World Cup actually did for US is demonstrate that race and racism isn't exclusive to the United States, and that you have nation states with people like Argentina that's no different from other places that has a history of having black people as enslaved people, freed people, and free people that have always been there but have intentionally been invisibleized. And then you have this idea of here that everybody in that country is white, and that's not true. But then also what happens the Argentinian fans, not all of them, but for a large white have a history of being very anti black. And especially when you understand Argentina is a neighbor of Brazil, which has the largest black population in the America, is the second largest Black population in any country outside of Nigeria. There's been a long held belief about people outside of in that region that are racializers black, and it's been made okay to be racist to people because there hasn't been, in my estimation, enough consequence against these racist type of behaviors, these chants, and there's so many interactions that happen that give us opportunity to challenge what we see. And they have to do they as a country, in my opinion, they have to do better, like they have to do better. They have to be police better. They need to be consequence and needs to be waged against those people that harbor those anti black racist belief and they are very present throughout Latin America. Don't let anybody lie to you and say that race is not that race doesn't exist in Latin America. Okay, so almost who know gave me in DA I said, no one on, So let me not get started. There's a lot of differences there and so that that's a yes.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 1: What do you guys need to make this feature length?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What's needed now to be actionable steps to get this completed?
Speaker 6: Two million dollars?
Speaker 3: Okay, good answer, that's a good.
Speaker 6: Start two million dollars. We already have years of research. We've been working with doctor Claiborne for the past few years. We spend a lot of time with him and we know exactly how we want to tell this story and the other topics we want to dive into.
Speaker 2: How do people be part of that? How could people make donations to the film? Because if there's two things people can do, you can bring it to your organization and school community, like and was saying, or if you want to see it made into its full glory, what would people do?
Speaker 6: Yes, that's a great question. So we have a website Cbclaiborne dot dot com, el Claiborne c L A, I, B O, R N E, Cbclayborne dooc dot com and so you can reach out to us on that site. You can also reach out reach out to us on Instagram c be. The film shoot I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: Remember is on there as well.
Speaker 6: The fundraiser link goes on there, and yeah, you can screen it at a school institution. That's the film, the short film that premiered at Martha's Vineyard in south By, Southwest EDU.
Speaker 3: So that's the.
Speaker 6: Film that you can have at a school or institution, or like at a company, if you want to host the screening for your employees, and then reach out to us if you want to come on board as a producer or help us fund the feature length version of the film.
Speaker 7: A million producers are going to be like, yeah, and I can say that Javier, as an educator, has written a wonderful curriculum to go along.
Speaker 5: With this, and so if you wanted to use it in a school or even in a business, you know he has the the background that will help you set it up, the learning points that could come from it. In fact, he's expanding this to be applicable to other kinds of not just sports, but to other kinds of situations. You know where you're talking about, you know, making choices, sticking with whatever you've decided to do. So there are a lot of possible learning objectives, a lot.
Speaker 1: But doctor cb claiborne, I do want to ask you about activism and athletes because some people feel like and they feel like this with music too, like I just want to do my job. Some people are like, I'm not going to get involved in that, but you definitely were involved. What are your thoughts about athletes because they do have a huge platform people watching and paying attention to them. What are your thoughts about athletes saying, oh, I don't get involved in politics and the athletes to do and you you know, reference Colin Kaepernick as well in the documentary. But what do you think about this platform that people have and a responsibility?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, this is one of Vier's takeaways and a learning objectives. You are not just an athlete. You are more. Nobody should reduce you to just being able to run or jump. I mean, you live in this world now. I can't tell you what to do, but everybody has a commitment to develop themselves enough to be more than just an athlete.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I watched your documentary, and I know you and I have spoken about this. So my father went to A and T and my mother I'm an Aggie baby, and he's in the college Football Hall of Fame there and he went on to a life in community service politics. What have you, Because, like you said, that's what athletes did. Now there's a huge discussion about college athletes getting paid nil and I wanted your thoughts on that. How you see it and if you feel like your generation laid the groundwork for that to happen, and it's a good thing, or you know your views on this whole nil college.
Speaker 5: Actually there's an evolution of NIL. I played with a guy named Dick di Vinzio who in the sixties wrote a book saying college athletes should get paid. So this is not a new idea, but it is the evolution of an idea. And so if you think about what the economic trade off is before you got a scholarship and you gave something to the university, right you were student athlete as they called it. It's changing quite a bit now. I mean a lot of people are won and done. The part of that equation that's being missed is the education is still important. Even if you're there for only one year, you take away something like when you go to Javiera's class, you learn something that will be with you for the rest of your life. So I like to call this educational equity. And like anything you invest, it grows. So is it the same thing to learn something that's at thirty five as it is to learn it at nineteen. No, when you learn it early, that grows with you, that enables your life. So there is a value to education, just like there is a value to playing ball. What NIL has done is give us the money upfront or the other part of that equity upfront. Whereas before you would go, you'd learn, or if you'd spent four years in school, you'd learn a lot and it would pay off eventually. Now you're taking your money upfront, and so you have to make the decision, well, I'll do this, but I'm only in school for one year. What about the other stuff that I would have learned if I had stayed there for four years?
Speaker 3: You know that's true.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are, especially a lot of people who's you know, kids want to be athletes one day, are very against this inn il and athletes getting paid because you have to be super, super good now to be a college athlete. And I have a son who's a college athlete, and it just always baffles me that it escapes people that American parents and families spend billions and billions and billions of dollars a year. You have twenty percent of them taking on second jobs, working overtimes to create the athletes that these colleges benefit from. And yes, they should get some of that. They should see that money back. And I think what's also missed is I didn't know this until I had a kid who played sports in college. What the colleges do. They might promise a kid, Oh, we're going to give you four years a full scholarship.
Speaker 3: We want you on the team. After the first year.
Speaker 2: If the coach doesn't want the kid on that team anymore, the scholarship is dropped. The parents are a year into an education they can't afford. And that's the norm. I can't you know, to me, athletes should overwhelmingly get paid. And I know they're young, so they have to be monitored. But I wondered what your thoughts are on that.
Speaker 5: Nil is kind of the promise of the payoff. Right, you get your money up front, but it's an anticipation of a bigger payoff later. That's why you know people recruit you. And so the university is always looking for a payoff, or you know, the league is looking for the payoff later. In terms of what that person might produce, the person has sacrificed that growing period where that investment that you know, we used to plant seeds, it will take time for those seeds to develop. I think one of the things now that I see in the game in the game of basketball is that players are very undeveloped. They are super talented, but that isn't developed. So they go to the league and they aren't as good as they could Most of them aren't as good as they could be. They certainly not as good. Is that if they had had four years playing for coach ko four years playing for Jim Beheim, right, because there would be a whole lot transmitted in that four year period. And so you're taking this undeveloped plant, if you will, or the seed that hasn't fully developed, because of the potential of what it would be when it's developed. And so, yeah, I mean, everybody wants the big payday, but I still like players who decide to stay around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of the people going into college now are the twenty four year old who graduated and doesn't have and has two years of eligibility left. So a lot of I know parents are complaining, you know, my kid doesn't have a fair shake anymore. But that's just what college sports has become. It is professional sports. I know, Hobby, you have some thoughts on this as well.
Speaker 4: Scamp has totally changed in college athletics, and a lot of it has to do with nil and in the onset of nil and what it has shifted up right where and now with the House settlement now where certain universities can pay college athletes from the revenue that they generate, it is giving athletes, particularly in these high revenue producing sports like basketball and football, whole other avenues that think about and so now you have you know, I you know, I joke with my students when I walk in it's like, how long have you been here?
Speaker 5: Again?
Speaker 4: It's a year six for you? And how many more years ago? So you're gonna be here almost ten years now, It's like why are we here? So so on the flip side of one and done, it's like, now there's more options. But then it also makes it more competitive. And then when we factor in that we've in the US gone global with the game, and we have a lot of international players coming in that even once we're professional, are played professional in Europe and now they can reclassify and be youbor to compete in the NCAA, and so then it makes it even more challenging. It's so parents, I think, have to really be smart about the investments that they make in their children's athletic careers from a young age because everybody wants their child to be successful, right, but you probably don't need to be paying one thousand dollars a week to Uncle Jojo up the street who say he gonna get your kid right on the court.
Speaker 3: That's just what's AAU just.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be in those AAU leagues, it costs one thousand dollars, and the kids who do well in those leagues have that extra coach that they're paying another thousand dollars a year. That's just what it costs to do sports now. So I'm not mad at the kid who, Okay, tenth one percent of one millionth they're going to go to the NBA, But hey, I can earn one hundred thousand dollars in high school.
Speaker 4: That's that's I think that's the idea, if, if, and when that happens. And again for me, I always think about it's an industry that everybody that is interesting in the industry is going to try to make the money out of it, and parents. I would always advise as an athletic director, as a PhD in Physical education, as a sport manager with the Masters at over ten years of experience, there's no guarantee, a way of telling that your kid is going to be in that one percent, and so you have to just be mindful of how much you are monetarily investing in that one particular sport, and especially it comes at the expense of having actually a better athlete, because we know from the science that a kid that plays basketball, football, tennis is going to be a better athlete than the one who is just only focused on that one sport because they don't have a chance to develop all those other parts of their body that are going to make them better. But when we say basketball, basketball, basket football, football, football is at the expense of the kid their holistic development, which includes the athletic part. So I think parents should always be mindful and make good financial decisions like can we actually really afford this, and then also like what are the ways that we can holistically develop our children in not just the athletic part, but if they get into the position in high school or college where they can generate six seven figures or benefit from them image and likeness, get some of that revenue from the university, absolutely they should be able to do that. I believe they should do.
Speaker 2: For me, did you think your film is going to spark all these conversations.
Speaker 6: The nil conversation. No, but I knew that the film would spark a conversation about developing the whole person, not just focusing on sports, but who are you as a person beyond an athlete. The spark conversations about the importance of education and activism and how that plays into today. So, and that's why I love this story because doctor Claybornen is not just an athlete. He's a professor at TSU right now. So he's just a very well rounded per and I love the story.
Speaker 3: There's a lot to him.
Speaker 2: Just before we go, we're about to go tell everybody your call him Kayperneck's story.
Speaker 3: You had a real one.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean when I played, we had these little mini afros, nothing like Kaepernick. But coach Bobas called me into his office. He said, you know, if you have your hair like that, you can't play. I said, well, coach, you know Kareem is doing it. We called him loue El Cinder then. But you know he said, no, if you play for me, you can't.
Speaker 4: Let it girl.
Speaker 5: I said, well, okay, coach, Well he said, you're going to sit on the bench. I said, okay, I'll sit on the bench. Then, so we had this understanding that I could keep my hair, but I wouldn't play as long as I had, And it took about a year before that came around.
Speaker 4: You know, when more and more.
Speaker 3: People chose hair.
Speaker 5: I chose hair. Yeah, but hair. It wasn't just hair. It was what hair represented, you know, and it was very much connected to your black identity and your manhood. Then you know, again, this is Black power era, and so it wasn't a choice, right. I chose hair, but I was going to cut my hair and go out and pretend to be a man and play. No.
Speaker 1: How do you look back at your time at Duke in retrospect now, with.
Speaker 5: The advent of the story and some of the things that have happened recently, I look back at that time differently. You know, your your understanding evolves. So in the early years I thought, I guess my first thought as well, I didn't really get a chance at Duke, is what I would have said. But now I think the story is not just about basketball. It's a much bigger story, and I did get a chance to develop in many other ways. I can remember when George Wallace came to campus and Duke. Yeah, and all the things that Duke exposed me to. I remember when we went to the West Coast for the first time to play UCLA and walking into Polly Pavilion and seeing Coach Wooden there with his rolled up program even in practice, and he would just pointed right. So I got a chance to experience a tremendous number. We played in the garden, right, we played in the old Garden and the knicks were coming off right before we came on, and Dick Barnett would say, look at this spot, and he throw the ball down and the ball would just come right back to him. So he taught us where the dead spots were on the court and how you could use those dead spots you know, when you move.
Speaker 4: So there were.
Speaker 5: Unmeasurable things I learned at Duke University, and most of them because of playing basketball, and so yeah, I look back on it very differently now, you know. It was really part of my development. I am the person I am now because of Duke and because of basketball and to see what Duke is doing to try. I mean, I used to say when I went to do there was systematic exclusion. We couldn't go in the barbershop and get a haircut, you know, because black kids couldn't go in the barbershop. But now Duke gets proactively inclusive. The athletic director is a black woman, right, The women's basketball coach is black. So Duke has come a long way over that time. So I look back on this story in very different ways than I may have fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so Muchy. They would have missed your hair up anyway.
Speaker 3: They would Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Anybody who wants to be part of this journey go to Cbclayborne doc dot com. That's cb C L A I B O r n E d oc dot com. You can learn more about the film, see video on it, and learn how you.
Speaker 3: Can bring it into your community.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you, thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 3: Wednesday it was great.
Speaker 6: Thank you.