Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots Podcast. I'm Joe Wisenthal and.
Speaker 2: I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 1: Tracy, we just got back from California. We're at the future Proof Conference. I love going to southern California.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't beat Huntington Beach. It was pretty sweet.
Speaker 1: It was so beautiful, it was really cool. We were out on the beach.
Speaker 2: We walked out to the pier, watch the.
Speaker 1: Perfect weather, watched the surfers, ate some really good food, and had some pretty good conversations about the state of financial markets.
Speaker 3: Yep, and we finally got to record an episode that we've been meaning to do for a while. We dived into not the ocean, but the credit market.
Speaker 1: I guess, like the credit market like comes up here or there in various aspects of our conversations. I guess typically when we talk about real estate, maybe a little bit about the FED. But the credit market is obviously so diverse and it's such a its own world that, like we really it had been too long since we talked about, Okay, what is happening in credit?
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Also, I think there was this expectation that as interest rates went up, you were going to see lots of drama in the credit market, and even though we've seen bankruptcies rise a little bit, we haven't really seen the big fallout that a lot of people had been expecting.
Speaker 1: Right, And you know, look, the way people think about the FED is that it works by tightening credit conditions, right like in theory, like that's what like how the it's all's supposed to work, as you said, when interest rates go up. And yet we have got this rise in interest rates. For sure, we definitely see it on the mortgage side, like less housing activity, but the sort of like broader tightening of like business credit. We certainly haven't seen much of a widening in spreads at all. So it's a confusing time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. So we really do have the perfect guest to talk about this.
Speaker 1: That's right, our guest. We spoke with Wayne Dall. He's a managing director, portfolio manager, an investment risk officer at oak Tree. We talk about all things credit. What do you see, Why did rates move so hard? Why are they still like pressed up against the ceiling.
Speaker 4: We went through a period so long where interest rates were very low and money was very easy, and unfortunately, during the period of COVID with some of the supply chain issues, with a lot of the stimulus that was put into the economy, both through the monetary channel and the fiscal channel, that really set up kind of the perfect storm for demand to go through the roof and supply to be diminished, and ultimately we ended up with this big inflation push, which, if you go back to the formula from the seventies and eighties, how do you cure inflation? You raise interest rates quickly, And I think that's the playbook that the central banks, not only in the US but really globally had no choice but to follow.
Speaker 3: What does risk actually mean to you an oak Tree and does it differ from maybe other financial firms definition of risk?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is that is a great question, And anyone who's read our chairman Howard Marx's memos knows that he's very clear that risk is more than just the masure of volatility. I mean when typically at oak Tree, when we talk about risk, it is our number one investment philosophy, an investment tenant to keep risk under control. Really it's to avoid loss. And the tagline there for oak Tree is if you avoid the losers, the winners take care of themselves. So as credit investors, especially in a market like this where yields are high, you want to earn that yield and keep that yield and not give it back in the form of default. So to us, minimizing risk is largely related to kind of minimizing loss for investors.
Speaker 1: All right, let's dive deeper into credit. I mean, let's start, like, spreads are still pretty narrow, yeah, and credit is such a huge world, so I know we have to like go from like slice to slice and slides. But like big picture, people don't seem particularly concerned about like defaults.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, I think one of the things with credit that has changed is largely related to the backdrop of interest rates. And to quote Howard again, our chairman. You know, he wrote a memo in December called a sea change, and in that memo he talked about this change in what was a low return world.
Speaker 5: To a high return world.
Speaker 4: And that has really I think shifted the dynamic and the expectations around credit. And you're right, have credit spreads moved maybe as wide as people thought, No, but the yields have become very attractive, and ultimately, I think if you look at credit this is something we did a lot last year. There's kind of three ways I would look at value in fixed income. Number one is what is the yield? Well, that was very attractive. Number two, what is the price? If I can buy fixed income at a discount, then I can you know, earn more than just the coupon. And number three what is the spread? The first two where it very attractive levels and spreads maybe kind of at median levels, but you know, two out of three makes a pretty good investment.
Speaker 2: Well, how are you thinking about default risk now?
Speaker 3: Because certainly there were a lot of people, I mean just last year in twenty twenty two, who were warning about we're going to get this big recession, there's going to be a big spike in defaults. We certainly haven't seen, you know, the bankruptcy rate has picked up a little bit, but we haven't seen this wave of failures that a lot of people were predicting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is definitely true.
Speaker 4: And I think for part of that, you have to think about what happened during COVID, And in a way you could almost say COVID was maybe recession part one, and we're on our way to recession part two. And the reason why I say that is because if you think back to the end of twenty nineteen, before COVID, the FED had stopped hiking rates in December twenty eighteen, and at that time actually had planned to continue to hike. Chairman Powell pivoted in early January twenty nineteen and ultimately ended the year by cutting rates three times. There were a lot of the similar signs of slow down in ism data, in industrial production data, a lot of your typical signs of a recession. So in a way, COVID potentially just accelerated us into a recession that was maybe on its way already. But what it also did is brought forth a number of defaults. You had, you know, default rates in the high yeld bond market, the broadly syndicated loan market anywhere from kind of four to six percent, And in a way that was kind of a cleansing event that prepared us for this time here in the high yield bond market. Because of that default rate, you cleared out a lot of the lowest rated companies that were under the most stress. Simultaneously, you had a number of downgrades, so triple B rated securities into double B or single b rated into.
Speaker 5: High yield, so you up the quality of.
Speaker 4: The high yeld bond market maximum triple b's, minimum triple c's, and kind of created this environment where everybody just refinanced at the lowest rates in history and they don't really have a cash flow problem or a maturity problem.
Speaker 1: So you anticipated my next question. And I appreciate that you brought the twenty nineteen experience because we don't really talk about twenty nineteen, but it's that much anymore. But of course that was an interesting year. And then so okay, so we have these defaults, then then the the pool of credit gets better, and then the big turming out of debt, so everyone refinances fixed.
Speaker 5: Rate ultra low.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about, like today in September twenty twenty three, how that turning out is playing into things now, and like, you know, people talk about the maturity wall.
Speaker 2: And no, Joe, you have to say looming maturity.
Speaker 1: That's the rule, the looming maturity wall. Talk to us about like the effects we're seeing today from that turning out.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right, I mean, just to kind of put some numbers to that. In twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, the highy bond market in the US had gross issuance of about eight hundred billion dollars in a one point three trillion dollar market, so you had two thirds of the market refinance.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Now today, you're right, we've obviously the the duration has shrunk in that market because refinancings have declined. But it does kind of become a twenty twenty six maturity, you know, kind of problem. Companies don't wait for the last minute to refinance their debt. That wouldn't be wise because what if the capital markets freeze up, So you kind of bring that forward maybe one to one and a half years. So I think as we get into twenty twenty four, you will start to see a situation where companies are going to have to come to the capital markets.
Speaker 5: Well it's not there yet.
Speaker 3: Well I was about to ask, though, because this month we have seen a pickup in new issue and so what's going on there? Like, why are companies deciding this is the moment to start selling new bonds?
Speaker 5: I mean there are certainly companies.
Speaker 4: I mean I can't remember the exact number, Maybe less than twenty percent of the market that comes due over the next eighteen months. So there is some amount of refinancing. There is some capital activity going on, and some of it I think is moving exposure from one market to another market. If you look at the broadly syndicated loan market, that market is made up of floating rate debt. I mean there is a market where people's interest cost has gone well, it's more than double in the last eighteen months, and the high yield market has seen some refinancing out of the loan market into secured bonds in the high yield market, So there has been some kind of new entrance in there as opposed to simply refinancing.
Speaker 1: Other sectors or types of borrowers who, in your view, are going to have a trickier time over the next eighteen twenty four months as some of these refinancings pick up.
Speaker 4: Well, Like I said, I mean you if you want to talk about the places in I'll say that non eventvement grade or speculative grade market that's going to have trouble. It will, I think potentially be some of these issuers in the loan market. And again the reason for that is they have seen their cost of financing really go up as their index to short rates, which are now five and a half percent what type.
Speaker 5: Of borrowers in the loan market.
Speaker 4: So you certainly get you know, exposure to many industries, but the loan market today has really shifted into the financing source of leverage buyouts. That is the majority of the issuance in that market. When you talk about a pick up an issuance in the loan market, you're typically expecting, you know, a pickup in m and A activity using loans to refinance. And one of the biggest areas that's seen a lot of m and A activity from private equity sponsors over the last few years is in some software and technology related business. So that is the largest single sector in the loan market today.
Speaker 3: Do you see froth in the leverage loan market, because this was an area of concern for I mean years, even before COVID, you saw a lot of financial regulators start to crack down on you know, capital requirements for leverage loans. You saw I should tell a story about I was in a bank one time, and I won't name the bank, but I was going to see their leverage loan bankers and they had a framed T shirt in their office that said I stole this shirt off my client's back, So that.
Speaker 2: Kind of encapsula I think it would have been.
Speaker 3: Like maybe twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, it was definitely the height of the leverage loan boom.
Speaker 2: But is there froth?
Speaker 4: Look, I mean, there's definitely been frauth in that market, and maybe to define that a little more clear, to say, there are certainly borrowers that probably you are at risk of having extended their balance sheet too much, and in the face of borrowing costs or interest rates going so high, they've kind of put themselves in a tough situation. I think one of the things to remember in the loan market that has maybe masked some of the potential volatility over the years is the majority of buyers in that market, almost seventy percent, are coming from the CLO market or clateralized loan obligations, and those buyers are not active traders, so you don't see loans traded like you do some of the other investment grade bonds, high yield bonds, and in a way that can kind of mask some of that building volatility.
Speaker 3: Again, one of the stories pre pandemic was this idea that a lot of the power in the market had shifted from lenders to so the companies who are issuing debt or taking out a loan could dictate the terms of that deal, and so we saw a lot of cove light deals, maybe some sketchy leverage loans. Is that still the case or does it feel like the pendulum has swung a little bit as interest rates have risen.
Speaker 4: I think in the broadly syndicated loan market that's probably still largely the case. There is a lot of demand, and obviously over the last call it eighteen months, supply has been diminished. So you have people who want to buy loans. As institutions, you're competing against CLO's buying loans, so that demand has kept up. I think one of the places where maybe you have seen a little bit more of a shift there is in the private credit market that's issuing loans, where interesting you've seen kind of a pullback from some of the buyers that were very, very active in twenty twenty one, and the either the new buyers or continuing buyers have been able to be a little bit more strict with their demands for terms.
Speaker 5: Cove things like that, and those deals.
Speaker 1: When a private credit comes up all the time, and we probably should even do more on this, But it always seems like, for whatever reason, and I don't really understand it. I don't know much about the market. For whatever reason, it seems like it doesn't matter where the cycle is. It just seems like it just grows and grows private credit. What's the how does that happen?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean, who wouldn't want to put an asset in their portfolio that has no volatility and the price doesn't Is that.
Speaker 5: Really isn't really that simple? Is it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Because people say that, I'm like, Oh, can't really be like that. They can't really be the story? But is that the story?
Speaker 4: I mean, Joe, to date, I think that largely has been the story. I mean, you're right, there has been a story can to the well, the time will come for the day of reckoning of you know, all this all this borrowing in this private credit market, all these marks that are staying at par are gonna are gonna come down, and you know, perhaps we are getting closer to that date, but you're right, that really still has not been tested, although I think people are preparing a little more, you know, for that day to come.
Speaker 1: Every time I hear about like pe or VC or private credit, and people are like, well, the biggest nice thing is like it doesn't move, and so I'm like, that can't be it.
Speaker 5: It can't be that.
Speaker 1: And yet maybe that is a big thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, it has kind of been that easy to date.
Speaker 4: But like I said, I think people are getting a little more concerned where you see. You know, I think some private credit managers deciding do I want to deploy this incremental capital that I can draw down or do I need to preserve this to potentially, you know, rescue some of the deals that are already in my portfolio. I think investors are getting a little more picky as well when looking at some of these legacy portfolios, going, hey, I like private credit and I like where it's priced today, But do I want to buy the portfolio that was built in twenty twenty one when money was free?
Speaker 3: Does the rise of private credit affect oat Tree at all? And what I mean by that is like, maybe there are certain opportunities that end up getting taken by private lenders versus publicly traded. You know, a company will decide I'm going to do a private deal. There's a lot of appetite, a lot of demand, rather than go down the publicly traded route.
Speaker 4: Maybe the caveat is it depends which group you talk to. Yeah, but no, I think the growth in private credit, especially over the last few months, has has been positive for oak Tree and has potential to be to be positive.
Speaker 5: For more areas.
Speaker 4: I mean, we are certainly active in these private credit markets seeking to you know, find value and really fill a gap that I think has grown over the last eighteen months where some of the larger players have you know, maybe step back and including some of the banks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think on the other hand, you know, oak Tree obviously we're known for our distressed as distressed debt business, which now is our global opportunities business. You know, here's an here's an opportunity for you know, a group like that to maybe you know, step in and support some of these deals if if things go south. So I think there's multiple ways where where we can see a benefit from from this growth.
Speaker 1: You mentioned, you know, maybe like some of these private credit managers and maybe they don't want to like to deploy that additional marginal capital for that risk. It made me wonder, just going back to the sort of the beginning of the conversation, like you can get a real return risk free these days, which you haven't been able to get in a long time, and you don't even have to take any like duration risk. You can like there's positive rates at the short end. Does that change risk ampetite or you see people was like, yeah, look I could make money and I don't have to take any risk. Does that change like how money gets deployed in your view?
Speaker 4: Yes, I definitely think it does. And really from our standpoint, it kind of shifts even where we take risk on the you know, on on the maybe the risk spectrum or the duration spectrum. I mean, it's rare that you have short rates being the highest part of the curve.
Speaker 5: So what's what's kind of.
Speaker 4: Resulted in that is securities that pay interest index to those short rates.
Speaker 5: Have become even more and more attractive.
Speaker 4: So just to again kind of put some numbers that if you look at the high yield market, a fixed rate market, sure their yields have gone up, but their income they generate has stayed, you know, right around low sixes despite the call it nine percent yields. Can you just explain that a little for what I mean is the coupon on a high yield bond is under six percent, their price is currently below par. So you take that coupon divided by the price, that's your current yield.
Speaker 5: That's going to be in the low sixes.
Speaker 4: Whereas, if I can buy a high quality floating rate security that might be a structured asset, that might be a broadly syndicated loan, I'm earning that near five and a half percent solfar rate plus a spread of call it four hundred basis points, now I'm earning nine and a half percent. So, yes, risk free is a you know, certainly a viable investment, but you know, so are a lot of other investments that are you know, reasonably safe, that have you know, an appropriate kind of spread for their risk.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about yields sort of enticing buyers at this moment in time. But there's something else that has happened since the pandemic, which is the Federal Reserve announced this massive corporate bond buying program that, in theory is now a permanent backstop for the market. Do you think that's affected investing behavior.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt that had a significant impact on investing behavior in twenty twenty. Just knowing that that backstop was there, I'm not sure how much today. I mean, I think in the case of say the hi Yo bond market, you have seen that market kind of shrink over the last eighteen months, shrink because deals of come do that haven't been refinanced. You've had actually more upgrades than downgrades in that market, which may be surprising given the you know, all the talk of recession and the need for spreads to be wider. So you know, you do kind of have this almost supply demand mismatch on the side of you know, maybe demand kind of pushing those those spreads tighter. But I think it's in the back of people's minds somewhere.
Speaker 1: How do you think about the Fed here Tracy mentioned the backstop, but in terms of like the sort of good old fashion where they are on the rate side. Obviously there's hope that maybe they could cut rates even in the absence of a recession.
Speaker 5: But is the FED like, are we clear?
Speaker 1: Is the Fed kinda like we got the inflation thing licked.
Speaker 4: I think that's a mistake that the market has made for the last year, that inflation would come down regardless of what the economic backdrop is, regardless of what happens to asset prices, the FED would turn around and cut rates. That was a big story in January of this year, when you had kind of everything rallied spreads, compressed rates, rallied high yield, rallied investment grade credit rally kind of everything rallied on this expectation that rates would come down before the end of the year, despite the fact that people called for a recession and that I think the market's kind of coming around to the fact that is probably maybe a little bit too much wishful thinking.
Speaker 1: My memory's gonna hit you. At some point, people were thinking that by like they would already be cutting by this.
Speaker 5: Point, yes, yeah, oh yeah in January. Well yeah.
Speaker 4: The other triggering event for the FED was in March. Right in March this year, when you had the Silicon Valley Bank signature bank, kind of regional bank flare up. The market really pivoted to expecting rates to be cut by about one hundred and fifty basis points.
Speaker 5: By the end of this year. That's completely reversed.
Speaker 1: And everyone said, like, oh, historically the FED hikes untilcilding breaks and then like a few weeks later it's still red hot.
Speaker 4: I think the Fed's kind of in an interesting spot right now. And you know, obviously you guys were at Jackson Hole, and you know, had a number of guests out at Jackson Hole. And I think looking at Chairman Powell's speech this year, maybe compared to the last two, I think he's got to be feeling pretty good about himself right now, because clearly last year he kind of had to give the market a bit of a scolding and say, hey, all you dreamer out there that think inflation is going to come down and we're going to immediately kind of ease financial conditions, you're wrong. We're in this for the long haul. And this year he was kind of able to stand up and say, thank you for listening to us. We're still in it for the long haul as long as the data dictates.
Speaker 3: Given your credit perspective, what do you think about the R star debate? So the idea that the neutral rate of interest might be higher than we once thought, or, to put it another way, the idea that maybe the economy is more interest rate resilient than it was previously.
Speaker 4: I will say, personally, I don't really have an opinion on what our star could be and should be, And I feel like I get a little cover from that because I believe Chairman Powell, he said the same thing, also said that. So, but I do think if you look at kind of where the market, you know, moved from a rate perspective, maybe leading into Jackson Hole, if you look at that kind of shift, maybe you know, call it like a shift in turn premium across the curve. I think there's no doubt that investors were probably thinking that there's a possibility that we may kind of have some form of higher rates for longer, and in order to compensate that.
Speaker 5: Let's let's lift the yield curve.
Speaker 1: Well, how much does the turning out of debt that we talked about a few minutes ago explain the lack of impact? They're the like, you know, we haven't had a recession, we have at a slow down. The rates have gone a lot higher than many people would have guessed, certainly in January, certainly in.
Speaker 5: March, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Like how much is it just the fact, you know, there are all these charts that people look at where it's like, yeah, rates are here, but actual net interest payments, share gdper whatever are still pretty low. How much is that just a function of Yeah, when so much fixed rate debt, these rate heis just don't wipe vent that quickly.
Speaker 4: I think that's definitely true in the corporate space, And don't forget. I mean a lot of corporates built up a lot of cash during the COVID period, So much was poured into the economy that yes they turned out that yes the rates were lower, but they also built cash and you know, saw leverage come down. But I think from an economy perspective, one of the keys to kind of why we haven't felt that interest rate push is in the residential housing market. Yeah, I mean that, to me is the real one of the real keys to why twenty twenty three from a consumer standpoint, from a spending standpoint, from a confidence standpoint, from a gross standpoint, has been a lot more robust than people would have expected.
Speaker 3: You mean the refinancing boom, basically putting money in a lot of people's pockets.
Speaker 4: Well, what I mean is if you look at the house prices since COVID, so from December twenty nineteen through you know twenty twenty one, house prices were up thirty percent, mortgage rates were three percent. If I told everyone in the room at that time. Hey, by the way, in the next eighteen months, the mortgage rate on a thirty year mortgage is going to go from three to seven and a half. How many would have said, oh great, I think house prices will go up another fifteen percent. I don't think anyone would have done that. But that's exactly what happened, because in this country, with our ability to lock in that financing like the companies for a long time, everyone just immediately said, well, great, honey, I'm sorry. That means we're not moving for the next ten years, and nobody has.
Speaker 1: We did an episode about a thirteen or fourteen months ago and our guest was like, house prices aren't going to fall and for this reason, And in the back of my head, I was like, man, this guy's saying, this guy's really going.
Speaker 5: Out on a limb.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad it is, like he gets it.
Speaker 5: He was right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I mean, think about think about what makes people happy they see the equity in their home. I mean, that is a big part of I think consumers kind of propensity to spend, maybe spend down some more of that access savings.
Speaker 5: It's a real driver.
Speaker 4: I think of just kind of overall kind of balance sheet stability and from a consumer standpoint, for sure.
Speaker 3: The last time interest rates were really high would have been the nineteen seventies, and.
Speaker 5: I think time we all remember fondly obviously.
Speaker 2: Well so, I think a lot of people remember the.
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventies for inflation, you know, the oil crisis, things like that. Not many people except maybe me, remember it as the birth of the junk bond market.
Speaker 2: And there are a lot of people who.
Speaker 3: Made their names in that environment, Mike Milkin being one. Howard Marx I think got his start then as well. Do you see the opportunity in the current environment of higher rates, maybe more volatility around bonds, things like that for a similar dynamic, could you see something brand new enter the market?
Speaker 5: Oh? Good question. Yeah, that is a great question.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, you're right that the junk bond market, the high yield market did really kind of benefit from that that kind of peak and rates. And you're right, Howard Marx did start one of the first kind of public high yield bond funds back in the late seventies. You know, I think the one difference maybe then versus today is rates were you know, fifteen to twenty percent, and you know, fixed income just.
Speaker 5: Rode that wave for forty years.
Speaker 4: And Howard mentioned this in his memo you Know More most recently that one thing he's certain is rates probably won't fall two thousand basis points again over a twenty year period. So I don't know if you get that same dynamic and fixed income, but the market seems to always find a way to to, you know, find a new way to solve an old problem.
Speaker 1: I'm buying a house right now, and one of the things people will tell me, like, oh, well to buy a house to They're like, oh, well, it's okay.
Speaker 5: That like paying cash, that's.
Speaker 1: A long story.
Speaker 5: That's funny. You should say that. No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: But one of the things people say is like, oh, it's yeah, it's all right, you just refined a few years. And what that tells me is like everyone is a bunch of people at least like are like of this generation locked into like a sort of assert mentality where it's like seven percent mortgages like super high, right, and so it's like this is abnormal, and the Fed's gonna and then they're gonna cut and just kind of what we were talking about before. But like, could it go in the other direction? Could we have like I mean, it just seems so unfathomable that like FED funds rates wherever like above ten. But it's like, is there some natural limit? Could we go like much higher on rates like that? None of us are thinking about.
Speaker 4: Look, that debate has certainly come up more often in the last twelve months, and it certainly did in the previous ten years. You mentioned kind of that belief about mortgages, and I think that's true. I can tell you with somebody who refinanced a mortgage in twenty twenty one that wasn't a thirty year and thought, okay, I have seven to ten years. Rates will probably come down again or won't stay high. But I think the big wild card in that is really just the cost of public debt. And I know you guys have spoken about this with other guests, but I mean that burden on the on the you know, our our budget annually to see rates at that level to refinance what's now you know, thirty two trillion dollars of debt. No, that's that's not a good story in the long And I don't know how you have a kind of viable economy with persistent rates that high.
Speaker 3: So we've been talking about inflation and rates and yields and default risk.
Speaker 2: But I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Even before COVID, there was a massive discussion around how bonds and credit are actually traded, and a lot of people talked about liquidity issues. They talked about the rise of exchange traded funds as a mechanism for maybe trading more liquid assets. And I'm curious, in twenty twenty three, in the current environment, has the way we traded we trade bonds changed even further.
Speaker 4: Not being a definite expert to answer the question, but but I think one thing that's happened for sure is that these exchange traded funds have increased liquidity in certain pockets of the markets. I speak a lot about the high yield market and not surprising, that's where you know, non investment great credit is kind of where where oak Tree makes its name and we focus a lot, but you know that is a market to where today, if you wanted to trade a lot of double B rated bonds, there's probably more liquidity because that's where the ETFs are going to be buyers. But if you still want to trade that, maybe you know, smaller maybe slightly sketchyr issue single B minus or triple C. You know, you're still going to have some challenges from a liquidity standpoint, So I guess it kind of depends exactly what you're buying. It certainly hasn't been you know, equally distributed across all of these different segments of the market.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to real estate for a second. You know, we talked about the residential component. One area where there's like obvious weakness is certainly like large swaths of the commercial real estate market. And I understand that it's not the entire market, and the commercial real estate is diverse, but offices in a lot of cities aren't doing great.
Speaker 5: Has that been felt like.
Speaker 1: Other people and other like further shoes to drop in commercial real estate?
Speaker 5: What's your view on that? You mean beyond like the challenge in the office.
Speaker 1: So right, so we've seen like these big jobs in office, and but then there's.
Speaker 2: Questions where will office get worse.
Speaker 1: Have they likes will get worse, or have have the holders of these assets really taken their marks yet or are they still living in some sort of fantasy where next year everyone comes back to the office and vacancy rates drop and everything, there's still like chapters to the series story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, there's no doubt that office has has its challenges, and I'm sure we have certainly not heard the end of it. One of the things in commercial real estate maybe unlike some of the corporate markets, when you have a maturity in a bond, you've either paid the bond or you've defaulted from a because the maturities dictated that. In commercial real estate you don't quite have that same dynamic. There's extensions you don't have to you know, in the case of securitizations, you can go into real estate owned, so you're effectively defaulted, but the asset maybe didn't change hands. A mezzanine buyer can step in, so there's a lot of ways to kind of you know, I'll honestly like kick the can down the road, and to some degree, so I don't think we've seen the end. But to your other point is there is a lot of dispersion and what is perceived today as the quality parts of the commercial real estate market certainly don't trade like stress is around the corner, and I'm not sure it is. We've had this debate at work a few times of hey, are we going to get a chance to buy this high quality industrial asset at a fifteen percent yield?
Speaker 5: And so far that answer has been no real estate owned.
Speaker 3: Is a blast from the sort of like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine passed.
Speaker 2: Well, your job.
Speaker 3: Is to think about risk on a day to day basis. So I'm going to ask the very obvious, lazy journalistic question, which is what do you worry about the most?
Speaker 5: Wow in today's environment?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think one of the things that's really challenging right now is it's very hard to define I think what is normal and a lot of people look at you know, different kind of masures of what they perceive to be normal. Oh, look at the jobs market. We're seeing an uptick in part time jobs. We're seeing an uptick in or a downdraft in full time jobs. Oh no, that's a sign that the labor market's weakening. We're going to fall into a receession. But really, in reality, we're kind of getting back to what we the labor market look like pre twenty twenty. You know, with inflation, is inflation going to remain sticky? A lot of that has to do with shelter price is how quickly will those feed through? I think to me there's just a big kind of unknown in how to interpret some of these kind of traditional economic measures that you know historically were our kind of benchmarker indicator for how much risk and in this case, maybe a risk of recession was building. And I think this year is an example for how hard that's been because, and I think you mentioned this earlier, Joe, the market went from thinking we were near an imminent recession twelve months ago to now thinking we might not have a recession at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wayne Dahl, thank you so much for doing the live podcast here as a real treat, great perspective, and appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for having me. It's my pleasure.
Speaker 1: That was our conversation with Wayne Dull, Managing Director, assistant portfolio manager and investment risk officer at oak Tree, recorded live at the future Proof Conference in Huntington Beach, California.
Speaker 2: I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 3: You can follow me at Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 1: And I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me at the Stalwart. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carmen Arman dash Ol Bennett at dashbot and Moses Adnan and for all of the Bloomberg podcasts, check out at Podcasts and for more Odd Lots content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots. We have transcripts, a blog, and a newsletter, and you can chat about markets and this topic and others at discord dot gg slash online.
Speaker 3: And if you enjoy odd Lots, if you like it when we talk all things credit, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening
Speaker 3: In