Speaker 1: I listen to the Black Coo Tips podcast because Rod and Karen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to another episode of the Black Hotels podcast. I'm your host, Rod Geordia is always by my cost, and we're live on a Tuesday, the last Tuesday of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: And you can see from Karen's festive gear.
Speaker 4: I should have never.
Speaker 5: Stopped this motherfucking trend, because Lord knows, I love these motherfucking things that glitter and blink and shit.
Speaker 2: But we're in a festive mood as we are, and like all festivities, it's better with guests. And we have a guest today, first time guest that we that he's had ever been on our show. We were just on his show last week. You can check it out on YouTube. I'll posted the feed. I shared it on our social media's. But he is a stand up comedian, professional speaker, radio show host and now host of the stand Up with Pete Dominic podcast. Pete motherfucking Dominique.
Speaker 3: What's up man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, riding Karen, great to be here. I think I should have been warned about my pacemaker. I'm not sure that that strobe light is helping at all other viewers.
Speaker 6: Probably there you go, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: I like we're doing everything but getting drunk, like seeing in right, Pete Man, First of all, we're going to be hanging out with you in April, yes, for a thing called pod Jam three. Uh what is pod Jam three? Can you tell our audience?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: From firsthand experience, because we've just been telling them what we think it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: But you know, yes, it's a show and an experience. So it's like two to three day event, depending on how long people want to come. If you want to come and just see the podcast taping, you can do that.
Speaker 6: But there are just parties we hang out.
Speaker 1: There's my friend has an awesome house with an amazing pool and a DJ, and we go and we eat and we drank and we dance and it's just people hanging out. My goal since Covid, since I left Serious XM, my corporate media career kind of like aenning and starting this own independent thing, was not actually to create community, but it accidentally became that as a result of COVID. Because I started having these zoom hangouts during lockdown.
Speaker 6: More and more people would come.
Speaker 1: We created this kind of online community and We're like, is it's gonna be weird if we get the better together in person?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: But we were like, we put our social anxiety and our introversion away if we had that and people met up in the first time was two years ago and it was amazing, And the second time was last year it was even better in many ways. And this year inviting you guys, trying to connect our community to your community. The goal being the thing that fights loneliness, which kills people. Is every single philosophy, religious or moral or psychological says that community matters. I'm reading Victor Frankel's uh Man Search for Meaning right now. You know, Holocaust victims and community in the concentration camps. So not to get too dark, but you got to go as dark about it as you can to talk about the importance and the light, which is what we bring.
Speaker 6: A lot of light like that on Karen's.
Speaker 1: Head of people connecting meeting and you know, like, I think it's fair to say that they're similar values. They're generally they're progressive. I guess it's the easiest way.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of ethnic diversity, there's a lot of age diversity, gender. We got a lot of members of the LGBT community, and then we have like a lot of male models like me.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, listen, we all we could always use more apacs and come gutters and all that good stuff to see.
Speaker 5: I am here for when you talk about community, community is very important, and I think for a lot of people, COVID kind of killed community because people kind of went inward and they never came back out, you know what I'm saying, Like they never came out to society and to reality and the things around them. So community is great because it allows people to talk, It allows people to open up, It allows them to realize that.
Speaker 4: You actually are not alone. We guess what, we all are.
Speaker 5: Struggling, We all going through something, We all are facing difficulties, and so sometimes it's good to realize that you're not alone.
Speaker 2: I also think community is what a lot of people are gonna have to lean on to get through this era of the Trump administration. Yes they are, because they have so many of the levers of power right now and they're passing laws and stuff that the only way around those laws it is for us to help each other to look past like a law or rule and be like I just see you as a person, right, how can I help you get something to eat today today?
Speaker 3: Like like, rather than be like, well, don't worry.
Speaker 2: In a couple of years, it'll be time to vote again. Like that shit's not going to do it for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: It's Those are all really important points. And I can't say enough about the importance of community and community building. And I can't also say enough about how rewarding it feels to be involved in connecting people with each other. And I think that part of as you said, car like COVID really killed community in a lot of ways. The Internet, did you know, the kind of degradation of religion and churches where people had community did And there's a lot of different reasons for it. But as you said, it's so important, it's so valuable to your life, to your life force.
Speaker 6: We all have a bag of rocks that we're.
Speaker 1: Dragging, and more specifically, when it comes to politics and the political and technolgical world we're living in, it's important to be like connect with other people in other parts of the country, in the world.
Speaker 6: And be like, hey man, are you seeing this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, what I see looks cray cray.
Speaker 6: But I can't even believe that it's today, and good did.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing when you I call it Earth one, we're connecting people who live on Earth one.
Speaker 6: We don't agree on everything.
Speaker 1: We have some pretty good arguments, some fun arguments about stupid shit, and some important arguments about important stuff. But we do agree on a certain set of ideas critical thinking, open mindedness, expertise, trust, and we communicate in such a I think, nuanced way that we're not We're not trying to like blow each other up.
Speaker 6: So we're over here on Earth one saying are you seeing this?
Speaker 1: Because it's important that we recognize with the rise of AI and this political narrative and movement that is so hard to to wake up and be in it every day, but it's harder to eat to wake up and find people that you know and love that are in it. Yes, and so a lot of are you seeing this? Are you okay?
Speaker 6: Am? I?
Speaker 1: You know, through COVID, through Trump, fascism, through the rise of AI, all these other things that scare us connecting with other people and being like, hey man, I'm a fifty year old white guy, I live in the Burbs. You're a forty three year old black woman, you live in Houston, you're a older white woman who lives all.
Speaker 6: Over the country. All types of people who all are on Earth one. That's what we're going for.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And also something I realized too is when I talked about it killing community, it also created community, but it created a lot of toxic community for people.
Speaker 4: So it's a lot of people that.
Speaker 5: Were looking for community and couldn't found that positive community. So they found a negative community because they wanted a community, like like they wanted a.
Speaker 2: Group of like what happened with QAnon, Yes, what happed my dad could not have happened without the pandemic happening at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yes, And so you have a collective of people.
Speaker 5: It's like, Hey, I want to be a part of a community so bad that I will sacrifice my morales, I will sacrifice my humanity, I will seck, I will do things that I normally would not do to be a part of this community versus taking it and making like you said, make something more positive out of it. Because you're gonna end up in a community whether you want to be or not. I ain't not trying funny you like you're gonna be in somebody's community. You're either gonna be in the community somebody.
Speaker 4: Created for you or one did you create it for yourself.
Speaker 2: What was it like going from like stand up to radio to your own podcast, because as you said, I think community changes based on like being a stand up comedian is almost like a lone wolf, right, you don't you have followers and fans that you don't have to create a community if you don't want to. You could be like, man, I just get up here and kill my joke, take my ass home. Radio is kind of like a community because you your callers and stuff, but you know they can be anywhere and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But sometimes you get regulars. But I feel like.
Speaker 2: A podcast you start having a real community, Like these are the people that are talking to you every week, These are the people that are listening to you, These are people that come out to events. So like it hasn't been different for you at different stages.
Speaker 1: I mean each stage that you mentioned just there is a huge chapter of my life that I could, you know, have fun talking about for a long time. But I think the specifically to answer your question, I think live radio builds community all the way back when I was growing up when we were growing up, and I worked at Here six M and so I worked with all the Howard Stern show guys and Arti Lang was Howard Stern's psychic and Arti Lang and I were really good friends, and I was Arti Lang's opening act for years, and during that time I was also hosting my own radio show and then opening for Artie. And I watched the listeners of Howard Stern come up to him, you know, after show or just on the street, and the way they talk to him guys was like they knew him and that he was their friend. And then we learned there's a word for that, a parasocial relationship, where you think your friends with the show host in this case.
Speaker 6: And I saw that and I was like, I want something similar. I want to create something similar.
Speaker 1: What I learned basically was if you're on the air live the way I was and still am every day, and you share stuff about your personal life, if you're vulnerable on the air, you talk about your struggles, your suffering, you make fun of yourself, it connects you with an audience in a way that nothing else can. The opposite of that is overwhelming bravado and genius and brilliance, which is what had so many of the right wing radio show hosts of my day did and still do.
Speaker 6: The great one Brain is on loan from God. Now my show is like Pize's an idiot, let's do.
Speaker 1: My show was interviewing experts to say that and still is the shortest way to explain it. But it created the community live radio, old school you know, terrestrial radio, satellite radio to a large too. And I think podcasts are probably create that community even more niche, and I think there's probably a safety element in it where you actually start to get to know people.
Speaker 6: You see them at virtual.
Speaker 1: Hangouts, you meet them and events, and I think there can be like I have a deep personal relationship with lots and lots of people who've been listening to my show from Serious XM to now I mean hundreds of friends. I have a like just an embarrassment of riches of people in my life.
Speaker 6: And yet Roden Careen I get lonely.
Speaker 3: Too, we all do.
Speaker 2: I think also, like with podcasts, you opted for our audio listeners, you got to go back to.
Speaker 3: Minute mark.
Speaker 2: But the I think also like podcasts is such an opt in format and you have to find it too.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. You have to want to get it.
Speaker 2: Like radio can be passive sometimes like not as much so it's serious, like you gotta pay for that ship and then you start finding your channels and then that become like who you fuck with.
Speaker 4: But like.
Speaker 3: A lot of stuff is just.
Speaker 2: Kind of like, oh, this is on TV, this on A this is what I was listening to. I got in the car. Podcast is like I want to find your voice. So I feel like that's one of the reasons that the community gets so tight for podcasts.
Speaker 4: Will.
Speaker 1: I mean, for sure, I think it's true, though still of a political radio show, it's a specific plan of politics where you have as similar values as that person on the right and the left or whatever else, conspiracy whatever. But you're absolutely right. I think we can talk about, you know, the pros and cons of that. But for me, it's just been who I never thought that, Mike. Because I started as a stand up comic, I was living, I lived my dreams. I did everything I wanted to do in comedy, I really did, and I'm super proud of everything I accomplished and my career in broadcasting, radio and television, and most importantly I'm proud of my girls. My wife and I and are separated, but we have an awesome relationship. My girls are eighteen or twenty one. That's what I'm most proud of. But like to build a community and to have that be basically my job, and to try to maintain and nurture that community.
Speaker 6: It's really hard because I'm like the HR Department.
Speaker 1: We don't have a lot of problems, but you know, and I try not have to get overly invested in them, and I try to see people connected. I try to create a safe space, keep people connected to reality and to our suffering as we help navigate it with.
Speaker 6: Each other, especially if we get older. You know, we're just getting older. Is the real deal too?
Speaker 5: Yeah, how was it when you first got recognized? Because you know, you're watching other people get recognized, but it's completely different when it's you, because I know it was very different when it was me. When I was kind of out in public as somebody yelp my name and I had to look at them and I had to go down my mental road to day I was like.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't know you're here. I don't know here, here, I don't know here. Then they say I know you're from the show.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, okay, well, well let's just talk about let's just talk about the racial component of that, which is black people will overwhelmingly Black people have called black people overwhelming because it's not like an Indian guy. Black people in America will stop you and recognize you and pay you really nice compliments, and you can almost see it coming. It's often in an airport, white people will whisper, not bother It wouldn't it wouldn't be bothersome for a white person stop me in react same way a black person doesn't. But my first like you know, I would get from doing stand up to a certain extent after shows and stuff like that. But that was like and A. But once I started doing I started doing CNN every night. I was on at eight pm every night, Live on, and so during and and then after that year, I was on TV a lot. But during that year and after that year, for those those couple of years, I was getting recognized like everywhere I went, and it.
Speaker 6: Was mostly black folks who would say stuff.
Speaker 1: And I love that, And I just want to talk about why that is.
Speaker 3: Why I love this too.
Speaker 1: We're funny guys, think, but white people are more likely like, hey.
Speaker 6: I think that's the good guy from seeing them James Carvel or Daughtry Like it's either black people say hey.
Speaker 3: Man, you're the guy.
Speaker 6: I'm like yes, and then I have a new friend at the airport.
Speaker 3: What were you doing on CNN?
Speaker 6: Every day eight I did a Man on the Street segment.
Speaker 1: I got hired to do, like a like an Andy Rooney commentary piece at the end, that's what they wanted me to do. But I'm not a good writer, so I could knew unless I had help, I couldn't write something.
Speaker 6: Like that every night. That would be worse.
Speaker 1: But I but I'm my other skill sets like hosting and talking to people, you know, interviewing people.
Speaker 6: So I go, how about I do a man on the Street thing?
Speaker 1: So literally every morning I went into the streets of several cities in the country. CNN sent me all over the place, and I put a microphone in people's face like I was the original. Not the original. Sorry, there was a lot of people did Man on the Street before me, but I was one of the first people to really do it the way I did it on cable television. It was like twenty ten, but I did it in a lighthearted way too. We cut it up, we edited it, and then at the end of and then at night they would air at the end of the show to end the hour in kind of a lighthearted note asking people on the streets.
Speaker 6: Hear it, and it was called Pete on the Street. Let's go to Pete on the Street.
Speaker 1: And then John King, who was the host of the show and hate laughing and comedy, he and I would close it live. We would do would we would show them show my Man on the Street piece, and then he would go back to me, and then I would give my daughter's a signal that they can go tonight on live TV.
Speaker 6: They can go to bed dead.
Speaker 1: He loves you, go to bed and then I would talk to John and then they would throw to the eight pm hour.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: That's always interesting too, in the mix of comedy and serious stuff. Like I'm a guest on this podcast Marvel's in Nomadic University.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's all nerd stuff. I love talking to Marvel.
Speaker 2: But okay, so Howard Bryant is a guest on there sometimes too. Howard Bryan is a very studious, serious like writer, like he writes books about sports and race and he's and when he's on there, the amount of effort I'm putting into trying to get this motherfucker to laugh is insane.
Speaker 3: It is insane. I take it as a challenge because it is the mix.
Speaker 2: I'm like, he wants to come in here and be like, listen, the very serious function of Galactus is about racial disparity.
Speaker 3: And I want to be like, oh, man, how big you think his underwear are? Whatever?
Speaker 2: Just to see if I can break this man. Did you take that challenge when you were working there?
Speaker 1: I to describe it because we would be live, you know, when you're on the air with someone live like we are now. Like, I think my style at least is to throw the ball to you and hope that you see it coming and hit it, like setting you up. I'm off in the setup guy, And I also think if you set me up, I better see it, catch it.
Speaker 6: And do what I need to do with it. To continue the sports metaphor.
Speaker 1: I'm on Live TV with John King, who God loved him. He was real good to me and he does have a great sense of humor, but he too had that issue where I don't think he ever really wanted to do that segment.
Speaker 6: He's a serious news man. I don't think he wanted to report all the things he's reporting and throw this dumb dumb be fair. But I would set him up. I'd throw him the ball.
Speaker 1: I'm out, you know, via satellite outside always freezing my ass off, and he's in the studio in DC. I was usually in New York, so I would throw him the ball, guys, and it would just hit him in the chest and bounce off.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 2: You being a correspondent on the street, What is up with that one one to four second fucking delay?
Speaker 3: How have we not solved that?
Speaker 6: Oh? Have we not? Really?
Speaker 1: I don't know what that, but I can tell you, like being live on the street, the way that people come up to you is it's it's a lot worse for women, but it's it can be really weird and it can make you feel uncomfortable, but it's mostly like when you're live, you're terrified someone's gonna like jump into your shot.
Speaker 6: Got worse. But one time, you, guys, this is true story.
Speaker 1: You could find the clip I was live on CNN and Michael Richards, who played Kramer and Seinfeld, walks up into my live shot like, and I go, Michael Richards is here, and then John interviewed him, but I had the earpiece so I had to like repeat the question.
Speaker 6: But he was like, I don't want any problems or something, I'll clip.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 6: A lot of things happened, but that was the craziest one that ever happened.
Speaker 2: It's always it's always funny to me with the news because they're like, you know, we're gonna go to live on the scene to so and so, and it's always that like we're we're like everything else has been fixed, and we have a we have fucking like flyovers. You can send a drone and kill somebody in another country tonight, but we cannot stop the one fucking second delay. We can't edit that out in post or nothing. We just got to deal with this delay for the rest of our life.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's fucking crazy.
Speaker 6: I don't know who's still got that delay. Who you're noticing? You gotta. I mean, it happened, It does happen. But I local news.
Speaker 1: I was just on with Australian show earlier, celebrating New Year's eat with them on an Australian news show, and I was just I was like, I can't believe there's no delay. We have such a strong connection, no delay all the way to the bottom of the earth and back. And I was also lying to their whole audience that I was in Times Square. I was like, it was just in my backyard.
Speaker 3: Where are you located in the United States?
Speaker 6: Now, it's called Rockland County, New York.
Speaker 1: It's just north of New York City, on the border of New Jersey and on the Hudson River, the beautiful Hudson Valley, New York.
Speaker 2: And also I saw that you used to open for like The Daily Show and stuff too.
Speaker 3: Is that is? What was that like? Was that was? Is that like hard? Is it? Does it get repetitive likes? How's that work?
Speaker 6: Oh? Man?
Speaker 1: Well, I was the audience warm up comedian for The Daily Show with John Stewart and then I did that for about a.
Speaker 6: Year, and then Stephen Colbert's show spun off.
Speaker 1: He was a correspondent and they spun off the Colbert Rapport and I went with Steven and did that show for six years and then I left for CNN. But I did like eight years of radio audience warm up TV. But I had to get there is the interesting part to get the Daily Show and the Colbert. I also worked on John Oliver's show for three years last Week Tonight at HBO, So.
Speaker 6: I worked on all those shows.
Speaker 1: I've always been part of that kind of political comedy world and staff and family, and I created a channel in that, in that image on serious XM. You know, politics done by comedians right left. I didn't care what you want. I just wanted to try to bring more entertainment to it. But those jobs were the greatest, man, those were the smartest shows in television, and they were the smartest audiences on television. They were young, they were diverse, they were experimenting in so many different ways.
Speaker 6: They were just brilliant writing staffs. And I was the fluffer.
Speaker 1: I was the audience warm up comedian and it was an amazing God. The money was amazing, first of all, but it wasn't repetitive because you couldn't be contrived. You couldn't make that audience think that you had done this before.
Speaker 6: I mean I did, but I usually.
Speaker 1: I mean it was all improv every night in front of this really smart audience.
Speaker 6: So it's really challenging.
Speaker 1: It made me a much better comedian, smarter person also made me way more judgmental and sensitive.
Speaker 2: But when I did when I wrote for Game Theory with Mionnie Jones Sidney Castillo sometimes with warm up the audience, and they'd sometimes bring in comedians the warm up the audience, and it was so funny because like this there was all these stand up comics on staff.
Speaker 3: There were writers and shit, and they always would be like.
Speaker 2: Looking down on the idea of doing the warm up, like they're like, I gotta fucking do that, and then they go out there and start doing their thing, and I'm just like, this is like, I don't know why y'all are shitting on this. Not everybody can do this. These people don't fucking know you. They're coming to have an experience on this show. They're not even looking forward to you personally, like you kind of in the way.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're like, okay for something else, and I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Comedy, and like between between like different segments, you gotta come back out there and be like, all right, guys, we're about to do this.
Speaker 4: You know the warm up up.
Speaker 5: You got the plays because I've attended several of the live tapers and that's what happens. You have a comedian come out on you up, the host comes, they take a break because you know, you're filming, and then they gotta be like, hey, y'all, we're taking.
Speaker 4: A break of Hey y'all, something happened. It's a delay. Waka wa.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I could, and so could other warm up comics. We could do a show just about warm up. At the history of it, the different shows, Uh, it is really hard. You have to have a certain skill set, certain talent for it. Luckily I got to the point where I was working on the best shows, had the best guess, the best audiences that people, you know, tickets were free, but there was always a long wait to get a ticket because the shows was such a big deal. So those audience came to laugh. They were comedy shows. But I worked on shows where the audience did not plan to be there that day, you know eight Sometimes they were sometimes they were homeless. I asked the guy in the audience one time, I'm doing crowd work. That's what you do and warm up. Where are you from? He said outside? I go what brought you here?
Speaker 6: That? He said?
Speaker 1: They said there would be pizza. I mean, it can be really depressed and it can be really sad. The one moment you talk about when you have to come back out. I usually didn't do that. I usually could get mental.
Speaker 6: Production staff to no.
Speaker 1: It was so awkward to have to come back out during a break and try something new.
Speaker 6: I just I just couldn't so, but one time I did have to do that.
Speaker 1: This was on a show for the New York Yankees television network in New York, and the episode of the show was called Captains, and they had on panel four of the most famous New York athletes ever Harry Carson, New York Giants, Michael Ruzzioni, New York Rangers, US Olympic team to beat Russia, Derek Jeeter, Dom Mattingly, the Yankees.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm backstage with them.
Speaker 1: These are my boyhod idols, especially the baseball players, and I introduced my dad to Yogi Bearra that night. It was an amazing, magical night, but there was a production is shoot. There's a light lighting issue, and they go, Pete, get back out there. So I walk out and now I'm standing in front of these four legends trying to get this audience's attention, like how why would you want to hear.
Speaker 6: From this guy? They've never heard of me. I'm a monkey.
Speaker 1: I'm just out there shuggling trying to make but I'm too smart for that. I'm like, I'm not going to act like I can do anything to distract these people from those legends.
Speaker 6: So I start to say, I'm gonna to these guys.
Speaker 1: Let's do a little Q and A with these guys while you know, the lights are down and or while the tech issue was being fixed. And that's when Don Maddingly, whose poster I had as a twelve year old, who I went to New York City's first time to see him, sat on the first baseline whose rookie card I saved up to buy. He said, Dom Manley, my boyhood idle, yelled to me, Hey Derek, he goes, hey, Jeter doesn't think you're funny.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 6: Oh no, Maddingly.
Speaker 1: Yelled to me that another New York legend didn't think it was funny. So these two guys are talking about me. I go, oh no, Derek, Jeter doesn't think I'm funny. All that matters to me right now is that my boyhood idol just said my other idol doesn't.
Speaker 4: This is right, yall know I exist.
Speaker 1: And then in that moment I realize what my strategy is gonna be, and it was what I what every comedian does. It doesn't matter who it is, it is time him to attack for Jeter's family. He was wearing a yellow suit. I go, I can't believe Derek Jeter is making fun of me. I would never want to say anything that would upset him, certainly not the fact that he's dressed like a mustard packet.
Speaker 6: Oh fa.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's hilarious man.
Speaker 2: It's it's also like such a vulnerable thing to be on the microphone talking in front of people, uh in the first place. And I think, you know, especially in that situation, you kind of get a little bit of a boost if you're a gamer, Like it's it's like, all right, I gotta get up for this. And like, it was so funny watching these you know, veteran comedians that at my job be like, oh, fucking normous and then they just fucking turn it on like a muscles, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 5: You were just back here, And I was gonna ask you that, as you've been on live TV, like ready, on all these other different things, what is what is it that drives you to continue to go like as a muscle, because I didn't even realize I have.
Speaker 4: A muscle for this.
Speaker 5: Because for those of you that don't realize, we you know, we do Bottels Deep, which is our sports show with Justin and just one time Justin told me, he said, you have a switch.
Speaker 4: I said, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: He say, we could be casually talking and he said, the second we go live, he say, it's just something kind of changes and all of a sudden, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't even realize I'm doing it.
Speaker 5: Like when is it that things became so automatic that you go, okay, I can adjust to anybody.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a.
Speaker 1: Very that's a great question and a very flattering suggestion that that's a talent that I possessed.
Speaker 6: But I think it is I can get to survival.
Speaker 1: I mean I I definitely fashioned myself to be the kind of comedian who could entertain any audience anywhere. So what corporate you know, gig at an industry event, or you know all black people in Harlem, or Jewish like a synagogue or like even I used to do this gig every summer, young kids at a synagogue. I'm not Jewish. I didn't know anything about grown up Jewish or being in a second they had boys and one side girls. On the other side of it was religious. And I just went in there and did an impression of a cat barfing, got my two hundred bucks and went home. I wanted to make money, so I made myself as adaptable and I want it and I love people, all people, so I want to make everybody laugh. I want to entertain everybody. And I also think, like you're the reason why you have that quality, why anybody does, is because when the lights turn on when you go live, in this case, there are people watching. We should be entertaining. We should do our job. Our job is to entertain. I hate these people are like, you know.
Speaker 6: I don't want to promote my show, you know, I just wan like, no people.
Speaker 1: Are there because you have a microphone and there's a camera, and you should use all of it and you should be interesting and entertaining and smart or whatever or don't waste people's time.
Speaker 6: So that's the job.
Speaker 1: The lights go on when when you go live, be good, be be interesting, be engaging.
Speaker 5: If you want their money, because it's like, oh, people are paying to be here or paying for whatever this thing is at a later date or yeah, we would have everyone so while we'd have a podcast guest back in the day who was like too cool for school. Yes, it's like, dude, you're fucking killing me, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 5: You're giving me nothing to work with and so not time time because me and Roger got professionals. If you are a droughtwall, we will look at each other and act like you ain't in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll bounce.
Speaker 2: We'll just bounce off each other if it gets that bad. I remember once as a joke, though this was on purpose. This is when we were still experimenting with what is a podcast? It's sixteen years ago, and my brother came on as a joke because we were like me and here were riffing one day in real life and we were like, dude, you know what fucking sucks rappers who do radio interviews and they just fucking are so vague because they're trying to be cool. I fucking hate I was like, I love hip hop, I hate a rap interview. Now it's changed over my lifetime because all these motherfuckers got old and they went to therapy, and now I opened up and ship. Now you just you know like the method man is talking about depression and ship. But back in the day, it used to be like, yeah, you know what I'm saying on me. And so one time we have usual words. We had my brother come on the show and pretend to be this rapper that we just made up the name like it was like MC no name remember that years ago and.
Speaker 3: The audience guys, because we did. We didn't tell the audience it was a skit. They got so mad.
Speaker 4: It was like, what is this ship?
Speaker 3: And I was like it sucks. I was like, we learned two lessons today.
Speaker 2: One that was much funnier to me and my brother than it was to everyone else.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 2: You gotta let the audience in on the joke because that was it was. It's still funny to me, but man, that did not that did not rogue.
Speaker 1: But it's also just like one of the coolest things about working at Serio six M almost fifteen years but I hosted a live show there, and at first it was on the comedy channels, that was on the political channels.
Speaker 6: Then it was on like this hybrid channel.
Speaker 1: So I had all types of people coming in being guests on the show and huge big name stars acts musicians, comedians obviously, artist, journalists, politicians.
Speaker 6: You name it. You know, anybody who's promoting any book.
Speaker 1: I got to interview everybody, and so I have a billion stories just about that.
Speaker 6: But the point that I.
Speaker 1: Think is really, you know, relevant, when an actor or a rapper or a musician especially come in and they're they're not interesting, It's like, yeah, because someone wrote your shit for you.
Speaker 6: Yes, comedian isn't interesting. That's just sacris saying.
Speaker 1: And here's no compassion to that guy because he's he should be good.
Speaker 6: He writes his own stuff. He's supposed to be able to improv right, and be good in a woman.
Speaker 1: But I was always so excited when someone came in, whether they were a big name or not, and they they could banter, they could play, they knew how to how to improv.
Speaker 6: And I just one quick one, and there's so many.
Speaker 1: My favorite moment probably ever was the actor Jeffrey Tambour, who was in Larry Sanders Show and Arrested.
Speaker 6: Development and so many other things.
Speaker 1: One of the funniest guys ever in the moment and when you get him, he's just he's a master. So he would those guys would come in and they didn't know me. I knew them, but they would always test me. Another example would be Norm McDonald or William Shatner or Bob Sagett like coming in and boom boom, boom boom, Kevin Hart like, oh, I knew him because he's a comic, but like some of these guys, so they would test me. And once they knew I got the game, then we danced right. The third time Tamboor comes in. He knows that I know. The rule is comedy, don't matter who gets hurt, that's the rule. Top of the interview, he goes, Pete, I'm glad to see that you're still here.
Speaker 6: A little surprised.
Speaker 1: Why why are you saying that, Jeffrey, I mean, right away he said he opened the interview. I go, things are going great. I actually just launched this new channel. I spearheaded it. It's going great. Things have not been going better. Why are you saying it like that?
Speaker 6: He goes, no, no, no, I'm just surprised. I well, why are you surprised? And he goes, because you're not good.
Speaker 3: Off the top road and starting to show.
Speaker 6: Of the opening of the interview.
Speaker 1: No even he had to be there for another thirty minutes he said, you're not good. He was like, just like such a pro move and such a it was a test for me. And so many other people did that same thing right at the top because they didn't.
Speaker 6: They needed to know if they could have fun.
Speaker 1: They didn't care at that point about what side they're so famous this person or that person.
Speaker 6: Jeff Goldbloom's another one.
Speaker 1: I mean I could think of they just come in and they play, and if you play with them, they're happening.
Speaker 6: If you don't, by the way, they don't come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they've been doing it so often. Some of these people when they're promoting shit.
Speaker 4: That just stuff gets boring, especially.
Speaker 3: Those guys who promote books because like if.
Speaker 2: You know, if you guys on this side of the al I know fans, y'all might not know this, but we get like pr releases and shit, and it's like so so has a book and they'll even send you like here's the ten questions to ask and and like you know, so it doesn't you don't even have to read the book. You just go in and you ask them some basically, so the economy, what's going on with that?
Speaker 3: And it fucking sucks?
Speaker 6: I don't. One of the suggested questions is, so the economy, what is up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Barron Allen. It's like Barron Allen. It's just like, I know you have a joke about airplanes. It's like, so you've ever been on an airplane? It's like where could this possibly go by?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 5: And the thing is, whenever Roger has authors on, he actually reads the books and they're shocked in surprised because he's like.
Speaker 4: These very in depth and deep questions. That's like, oh you.
Speaker 2: It does take a lot longer for them to be guessed though, because I'm like, I'm gonna read the shit. I'm not gonna bullshit you. But maybe you gotta wait a month come on the show. But you know, if you give me an advanced copy, you know, hey, it's still gonna line up with when it's time to sell the books.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I do like that stuff. But it's mostly because I hate so many of these.
Speaker 4: Generic r and they all sound the same.
Speaker 2: They're just they're just doing the thing. They're holding up the book to the camera and being like, so it's a book about this.
Speaker 6: I always try to be different.
Speaker 1: I always try to make the guests my show, and that's what I've been doing for years. I mean, you should do three guests a day, five days a week. Now I do one or two to day, but either way you can see it's just like some of the books behind me. I have thousands of books whose authors I've had the great privilege to interview, and I love it and I try to give them as much respect as I can and the prep, but also I try to give be different and make sure the audience isn't bored by this subject matter this guest, because a lot of times the guest is a real good writer, right, a journalist, but not.
Speaker 6: A good.
Speaker 5: I've heard terrible interviews, like you're writing it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: But I'm not gonna say no names, man, But like I was one time, I was in a situation where I was so disappointed because I read this book and this dude was so fucking funny. I was like, oh my like crying, laughing reading this book and it's like, oh, he's gonna be here today.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh shit, this is fucking but he was.
Speaker 2: He didn't have the he didn't have the gift of gab. He had the book, the gift.
Speaker 4: Of right, And I was like that this.
Speaker 2: Interview would be awesome if you could like maybe type out a page and then come back in ten minutes and then say.
Speaker 3: To answer to this question. But like, right now, I just want to fucking jump out.
Speaker 2: The studio and go to commercial and never come back and just pretended to like, this is not selling your book. This is on getting your book return. No one's believing me when I'm like, no, this guy fucking Lyris. You guys got to read the book. Okay, you know what, shut up, let me read your book. Okay, but yeah, it is the worst. How'd you grow up?
Speaker 3: Like? Were you in the theater? Were you into sports? Like?
Speaker 1: What did you?
Speaker 3: How'd you grow up and get into this lane of entertainment?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: I was into everything.
Speaker 1: I was a social butterfly, but I was both a jock and a theater kid. I went from lacross practice to play with her. I did the morning announcements, that's very rare. I was ski club president, student government president. I made it my business to know everybody. I never missed a day as school. I did the morning announcements like my junior and senior year. I hosted the talent show my junior and senior year. It was a graduating class like five hundred upstate New York outside Syracuse, a pretty pre rural area, almost entirely white Christian, so very homogeneous and very country.
Speaker 6: And I grew up that way. My dad grew up in the city of Syracuse.
Speaker 1: My mom was a public school teacher in the city of Syracuse. But there's two types of people who become comedians. My theory, if I want to be so binary, those who didn't get enough hugs and seek it out and those who had too many hugs and seek constant love. I had constant love in my home growing up, and I wouldn't change that or trade that for the world. Maybe makes it harder to establish resilience when you struggle when you're.
Speaker 6: Older, I've found.
Speaker 1: But my parents are still alive and still love me and are still super proud of me, and so I think I've always kind of s album.
Speaker 3: But it is weird. It is weird having good parents.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it would be weird, But the older I get, the weirder that I see it is because there's so many people that are just like, oh man, my parents fucking suck, right, don't they all suck? They're just the god damn worse. Oh Thanksgiving shit, I gotta fucking see these motherfuckers get And I'm.
Speaker 3: Just like, I'm not gonna say anything because it's just gonna.
Speaker 2: Feel like I'm either rubbing it in or being trying to be contrarian. You know, this is not when we were growing up and there were movies about this. It was supposed to be like a cool time.
Speaker 3: But it is cool for me. But I'm sorry it's not cool for you.
Speaker 2: But you're right, a lot of funny people, I feel like it's all like h coping.
Speaker 3: Mechanism or trauma response or whatever.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of my humor comes from when my parents would argue. I would kind of be this weird mediator between them, and.
Speaker 3: I think that's like how it's like. But if we're all laughing, nobody's mad.
Speaker 6: You know, it's always interesting, weird. You're dancing in the corner distracted that too.
Speaker 1: My brother my dad had some issues, but more than anything else. And I think the answer to your question, I didn't quite like why humor. I was tiny, little fella. I was the smallest person in my class for sure, and almost every year, including high school when it really mattered, especially to boys. Junior high and in high school, I went to.
Speaker 6: Pretty late and lost my hair early, which was a bit my actual year. Shit, And yeah, the simp, thank you, thank you for the right.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 6: What kind of a god would do that.
Speaker 1: I was small and so being small, you know, and wanting to people to like me, and also just as a protection mechanism as a boy to not be bullied by their boys if if they bullied me, you know, they were all they could beat me in a in a fight, and I got beat up plenty, but they were more likely to want to be friends with me than to suffer my verbals, so I would be I would take them down. And also my brother was bullied, My older brother was bullied, and I watched that happen.
Speaker 6: It's very much a part of who I.
Speaker 1: Am today why I'm very much into righteousness and justice and equal rights and human rights and civil rights.
Speaker 6: I mean because it started with my brother being.
Speaker 1: Bullied, and he was also got radicalized by Noam Chomsky and made me like an anti racist, anti sexist when I was younger. I'm still racist and sexist, don't get me wrong, but I understand the idea, and I'm trying not to be all the time, especially against Malaysians.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you meant any Dominicans either.
Speaker 2: I don't know many, but you know, I mean, I can I can be talking to being racist against people I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that's the easiest way, is if you know him. It's harder to be racist.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: I lived in a Dominican neighborhood and I didn't know anything about them, and then I learned and not all I.
Speaker 6: Needed, and I was out of there because the music horrible.
Speaker 3: Oh you had you can't? You can't? Is it that you can't dance?
Speaker 6: Pete?
Speaker 3: Is that we're gonna find out?
Speaker 4: Let us know you got two left feet?
Speaker 2: It is the Dominican music to too. Is it too much for you?
Speaker 6: I'll have you know, m h.
Speaker 1: If there's a dance floor, I'll have everybody in a circle around me. Which is another early of me as a performer roller skating parties. Dance in the middle of the gym. The whole entire class was watching me break dance. I made it my business for everybody to know who I was. I was the center of attention whenever I could be, and I used that, like I say, a skill set.
Speaker 6: To punch up.
Speaker 1: So when the bullies were in my age and younger bullying kids who are nonconformist artists, whatever, I would crush those kids.
Speaker 6: Right were my friends already, so I just had it. Recently.
Speaker 1: I'm still very good friends Loud. I got my buddies from high school. And one of the biggest meanest jocks he said I was mean to him in high school. I go, well, you probably deserved it. You would probably be mean to me or somebody else, marginalizing somebody else, and he goes, you don't understand. I go, what, this guy's still like six', five good looking, guy very, successful and he, goes you.
Speaker 6: Called me disproportionate body.
Speaker 5: Boy he remembered that that.
Speaker 4: You sketched that on that man's.
Speaker 1: Heart as soon as he said, THAT i just started dying laughing because it was my.
Speaker 6: JOKE i was, like that's look at.
Speaker 3: You, YEAH i, mean it's. Good gotta give it up.
Speaker 5: That that's hilarious and for me AND i SOMETIMES i think about me And. Roger roger actually helped me get into. COMEDY i feel bad For roger BECAUSE i grew up in a non funny, Household like literally everything was, serious.
Speaker 4: Everything was taking the heart like all that.
Speaker 5: Stuff so When roger's first started dating, me he actually had to be, like, hey calm, down it's a. Joke like he actually actually had to do that several, times and father was, like, oh, oh you're not.
Speaker 2: SERIOUSLY i THINK i think one of the STILL i still live by THE i still live by THIS u comedy only really works in safety when you feel. Safe i'm not saying you are, safe BECAUSE i don't think anything safe in comedy just one fucking thing and you're, Like, god, damn fuck that one. Up but the idea we're, collaborating you're you're in a place where the intentions are good and we're having that's it's hard to build that with, people but once you build, IT i, mean it's basically it's, sacred you.
Speaker 3: Know like AND i think.
Speaker 1: Speak to the different cultures of, comedy AND i would talk about three in, particular like kind of white boy comedy like WHERE i grew, Up jewish, comedy and black. Comedy we can do, gender BUT i don't think it really changes any of these things BECAUSE i think it's more about the. Culture AND i can see to each Of my opinion of each of those genres, is But i'll just say.
Speaker 6: THIS i grew up in my, culture.
Speaker 1: The homogeneous culture THAT i grew up in the eighties and nineties And Upstate New. York LIKE i, said, white Mostly, christian very little. Diversity AND i was exposed to more diversity because my mom was a public school, teacher and cousins who were mixed, race and a couple of other experiences my parents luckily put me. Into but, mostly you, know pretty much just, SO i grew up with that, humor which is still within itself. Diverse six of my closest friends were all funnier than, me funny, guys really funny. Guys then there was another tier guys who were also, funny but not as funny as. Us and then there was the other guys that tried to be but they. Weren't THEN i went to college and that's WHEN i BECAME i KNEW i wanted to be a, comedian SO i became a student of. Comedy and in COLLEGE i met a lot of gay, people On jewish people out Of hispanic, people BUT i gravitated towards black, people and it was.
Speaker 6: Because of humor.
Speaker 1: AND i could talk about that. EXPERIENCE i kind of want to write a book about, it BUT i would want to write it with, them those guys Who i'm still friends, with and they taught me a whole different brand of comedy THAT i can speak. To and then WHEN i moved To New york and lived in The Upper West side and was around on the, comedians so many More jewish comedians that were very.
Speaker 6: Influential gay, comedians different.
Speaker 1: Women for, Sure but that's SOMETHING i THINK i always was curious.
Speaker 6: About what made people.
Speaker 1: Laugh and obviously culturally there are similar. Experiences nobody's monolithic blah blah. Blah but let's be, Honest like we have jokes about hunting deer and and it's mostly a white person.
Speaker 6: Thing well what about my, friend my black friend who's hunts. Deer all, right he can laugh, too.
Speaker 3: But right, right this is not gonna kill in this black.
Speaker 2: Room and you know, it, yes like you had.
Speaker 3: To figure it out.
Speaker 6: EARLIER i wanted to make every audience.
Speaker 1: Laugh and best, comics to, me the best white comics there kind of was like black comics and white, comics, right like the black and on The pantheon of The beast it's mostly black, comics, Right it's then It's George carlin and you know a couple of others.
Speaker 6: Whatever BUT.
Speaker 1: I thought Watching Bill Bill BURN i came up together and Watching bill and a couple of other white comics who name you probably don't, know but everybody Knows. Bill he worked those black, rooms AND i was, LIKE i want to work those black. Rooms and because of my college, experience like those guys brought me. Up and then ONCE i, did it was it was the greatest. Achievement it felt the greatest just Because i'm white and they're all, black AND i think everybody knows what that's.
Speaker 3: Like and there's a bump to get over when you walk in that room because.
Speaker 5: People will photo, arms look at you and and it's. Different it's that make me.
Speaker 2: Laugh but as with all things, too there's also the curve the other, way, right there's like the bounce that you get off of, it because it's it's like white people being good at anything that black people feel like we're the best. At, Right if you can, dance there's an extra level like the white boy can. Dance if you can play, back if you can play basketball is like an extra level.
Speaker 3: Like, hey check out the white, dude you could actually play.
Speaker 1: Basketball there's there's always a make me laugh posture for any, audience but black people have the righteous like opinion of, like why WOULD i laugh at? You, yeah and so and and it's also true for black comics.
Speaker 6: Too don't get me.
Speaker 1: Wrong it's certain of a white comic walks in front of the black, room but if a black, comic black people are just as afraid to perform in front Black.
Speaker 6: Everybody knows what happens when you when you bomb in front of a black, audience it. Happens it's the, worst and it hurts real.
Speaker 3: Bad it's the.
Speaker 1: Worst white audiences are far less, verbal more, patient but the true you just, said the bounce if you if you're a white person or a black, person but if you're any, comic but especially if you're a white gyle say it seems a little better to make other people who aren't your, quote people people who don't look like you haven't lived.
Speaker 6: Your, experience to go and kill.
Speaker 1: In front of a black, room WHICH i did a lot in the late nineties and early. Arts there is nothing. Better the people are running, around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah it's the, Best yeah we have it's the, expressions, yeah physically react kicking.
Speaker 1: Legs, yeah kind of the kind of, like, uh physical jubilation that you get from a black audience is so, wonderful and.
Speaker 2: It's only you can only get that from stand up and sleight of hand.
Speaker 3: Magic those are the only two Times i've seen.
Speaker 4: It, now we love slight of hand magic because.
Speaker 3: It's not even it's not even like on. Purpose.
Speaker 2: No, remember we went to that fucking bowling alley thing and that dude came home and started doing slighter hand magic in front of us and some weird ship with the phone. Man it took everything from me AND i could get up and. RUN i was, LIKE i want to clap at him.
Speaker 6: More i'll give you two. MORE i can't attest to.
Speaker 1: It but do you think black folks will watch a hilarious TikTok video where someone slips some falls to get scared and run. AROUND i think they'll laughed At, yeah black, people not all black, people but a lot of black people will laugh at black people beating up white people with.
Speaker 6: Chairs that was.
Speaker 3: Good that was a good. One that was a great. Name and we don't have enough of.
Speaker 2: Those to be, honest we do not like we should we, should we, should we should make that an annual. Tradition you don't find some allies that are willing to reenactment Like Civil war. Reenactments but it's just the chair at the, dock never.
Speaker 3: Forget, yeah like we're both.
Speaker 2: Like, hey we get some cool white people to line, up we will beat you too.
Speaker 3: Hard you.
Speaker 2: Know it's it's just like The Civil. War there's no good there's no real bullets in the.
Speaker 5: Musket why did you name the boats folding chair because that was the name of the.
Speaker 4: Boat it was, not, sir but that's what we. GONA i love.
Speaker 3: It we had a whole alternate.
Speaker 6: History.
Speaker 3: Man, yes.
Speaker 6: The first time you're watching, it like, damn the second time you watch, it you were.
Speaker 3: Die, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is another thing, too BECAUSE i feel, like you, know the gallows humor of like having to go through like oppression for any, group, right not just black, people any group like you.
Speaker 1: Have like THAT'S i think it's fair to say that that that's a lot of truth to why The jewish community in The black community, right are so funny and obviously art comes out of not always not always out of, suffering but a lot of times out of suffering obviously a lot of the best. ART i usually Think i'm never gonna be a great comedian BECAUSE i had a lot of privilege AND i had a good, childhood AND i was always, LIKE i always felt Like i'm a good, comedian But i'm not a great comedian BECAUSE i didn't HAVE i wasn't. Molested you, KNOW i Watched Emmy norton go up and talk about being. Molested nobody's like Dying louvor suicide Or i'm just like all the, worse you, Know BUT i think, that, yeah human suffering is where a lot of times the lotus flower grows out of the, mud and so did the, jokes and people have.
Speaker 6: Studied that pretty.
Speaker 1: Well but it's also like through solidarity, Too and you, know that's like hanging out with all those black guys in, College like they taught me a kind of humor and a brand and almost a way to, laugh a way to, react facial, expressions, noises you name, it AND i couldn't LIKE i never wanted to, appropriate But i'm SURE.
Speaker 6: I did, it And i'm SURE i do a little.
Speaker 2: Bit BUT i, think like so appropriation has gotten like a weird rep BECAUSE i DON'T i think some stuff isn't.
Speaker 3: Appropriation it's like cross. CULTURAL i agree with.
Speaker 6: YOU i agree with. YOU i mean LIKE i didn't want to be appear to be.
Speaker 2: Like you don't want to be like an art like a cultural, archivist like Like Indiana jones of, Comedy like you just show up and be, like, oh so, well what y'all think is? Funny Are you're just writing in this corner with a notepad.
Speaker 6: From them and wear it if it wasn't, mine you, know?
Speaker 3: Right what was that?
Speaker 6: Great is THAT i.
Speaker 1: Was this kind OF i wasn't myself such a. REDNECK i was in between kind of. Like but but they the WAY i dressed versus the way that all the black eyes dressed in nineteen ninety five three to ninety five WHEN i was in, college those guys all had a very similar fashion with their.
Speaker 6: Clothes LIKE i don't have to explain it to you or.
Speaker 1: ANYBODY i was more, filthy tight all the, things my, hats all my hats are all beata.
Speaker 6: And like that gave them jokes every.
Speaker 1: Day but also they also the rules were very quickly, established, Right and that's WHY i was let.
Speaker 6: In that's why you, KNOW i lived with them they.
Speaker 1: Were my roommates AND i ate with them every, day and they were BECAUSE i knew the, rules just LIKE.
Speaker 2: I think a, big a big part of that two IS i went after them.
Speaker 3: Hard, YEAH i think a big part of that two, is like.
Speaker 2: There's this thing that happens where like some of my favorite white people are just regular white. PEOPLE i don't like the like it's like How eminem is respected in rap Because eminem never really tried to be. Black eminem is just about LIKE i fucking hate my mom And i'm on these pills and you're, LIKE i don't even relate to, this But i'm appreciate you staying in your lane and you are fucking your.
Speaker 5: Skill and my thing is he was authentic to hisself and that's kind of all that.
Speaker 2: Mattered and like when there would be a rap, battle be for this black people with This eminem sometimes and he come back, hard but it would you you respected it because he wasn't like trying to come at it from a lane of Like i'm a better black person than, you which which can often be the like death. Knel like that's the thing that will kill everything is WHEN i remember once back WHEN i had white friends.
Speaker 3: Uh this one dude told.
Speaker 2: Me he was, like uh, hey Uh, rid you know, what, Man i'm blacker than. You AND i was, like how? So and he was, Like i've been to. JAIL i was, like you stupid.
Speaker 3: Motherfucker LIKE i was slapping ship out of. You what are you talking? About he's, LIKE i probably have sex with more black women than. YOU i was, like what is? This what what does that? Mean what does that? Mean, like let's talk about.
Speaker 2: It AND i just made it get very LIKE i JUST i could have bailed him out, laugh but INSTEAD i just got very serious at the, table and so it just got real, quiet and everybody's leaning forward waiting for the, answer, like, Yeah, ben what does it mean to go to jail and have sex makes you more? Black and he's, like, oh never, MIND i was just. Joking but if if you just kind of stay more in your, lane, like there's a love of respect that comes and a level acceptance that.
Speaker 3: Comes that's WHY i say it's not really.
Speaker 2: Appropriation it's like cross cultural exchange.
Speaker 6: Exactly all, that and if you be, real you will be.
Speaker 1: Respected and so when it came to, me hanging out was not only a lot of black. Men there's a lot of black. Women as a matter of, FACT i JUST i just got together with five black women THAT i went to college with and just me at a house Of Martha's vineyard for a, weekend and it was like one of the most we reconnected on the.
Speaker 6: Way but the humor was back right away and to the, point LIKE i was always just.
Speaker 1: Me AND i think what was different from me with humor WHEN i was with all those black folks in the nineties WAS i was less inhibited.
Speaker 6: Than, them the men.
Speaker 1: ESPECIALLY i was a silly goose and the best thing you could hear for, me the nicest comment Was, pete you so stupid the.
Speaker 6: Girl that's a. Compliment, yeah it was always a. Compliment it was as an. Acceptance and you, know BUT i, NEVER i, never.
Speaker 1: You, know you talked about the guy that says he's blacker than, you LIKE i did anti racist jokes with, them OR i asked them ignorant questions to set them up for a. Joke like one time we were like walking back from cafeteria dorms nine of us AND i finally just Go and there's always like like always In alpha and he was my closest friend and the biggest, guy AND i just my dad told me to make friends with the biggest guy in, school and that will always. Worked AND i said to, HIM i, go, hey his name Is. TAEKWAN i, go, hey, man why do why do black people walk so? Slow why are we walking so?
Speaker 6: Slow it's? Cold it's?
Speaker 1: Cold and he stopped like it should be in a movie that she seems to be in a. Movie he has stopped and everybody, stopped and he just looked at me and he, goes why do white people walk so?
Speaker 6: Fast?
Speaker 1: Yeah and there was that was. All it was always stuff like, that like about your friends Saying i'm blacker than. YOU i was in LIKE i made like anti racist. JOKES i don't know where this came, from BUT i remember going to, him you are black and AND i am.
Speaker 6: White you'll be blamed for a, CRIME i commit to night.
Speaker 1: Hilarious doing stuff like that On they were just always taking shots at each other in the most brutal, ways and it was such An it was like an. Internship it was like a cultural experience you could never. Design BUT i give myself credit for diving into people who weren't like, me always the case the gay, Community jewish. Community i've always been more interested in them than the PEOPLE i came. From to a certain, extent you're not as interested in the people you come. From and to another, extent white people.
Speaker 6: Are they can be.
Speaker 2: Boring, yeah well they're kind of, default, right salt and pepperty, taste they're they're the you, know it's, like who doesn't even for? Us, right we have to know white culture to move in and out Of. America so it's like it's like more of a survival, skill, like, yeah you gotta, know you, know like you'll see this often with certain, People like people will be, like you know the secret to such and, such and like WHAT i know how to talk to these white. People it's just, like hey, man it's a valuable, skill but you, know it's not necessarily something a white person has to have in other areas unless they decide to go into those. Areas like you, like if you just, Decide i'm staying in my.
Speaker 3: Pond i'm never.
Speaker 2: LEAVING i can be a mainstream success without ever really trying to explore other.
Speaker 3: Areas but once, again once you step out of.
Speaker 2: Those, areas it does behoove you to know how to talk to other people.
Speaker 1: The simplest way to illustrate what you just said is we could you could do a segment as guests on my show WHERE i take callers and, say ask black people a, question and white people would call in and ask all.
Speaker 6: Kinds of, fun, ignorant maybe racist.
Speaker 1: Questions but you would never be me on your show and be, like black people ask white people a? Questions could you already know the answer than we? Do you know the answer better than we do about. Us if you were, like do white people watch their? Legs i'd be, LIKE, i, HONESTLY i don't. Know IF i don't, know, yeah the answer is, no you missed.
Speaker 2: It just because you wash your legs doesn't, Okay we've.
Speaker 1: Done black people have to know if you're the we're not supposed use to the word.
Speaker 6: Minority i'm toldy.
Speaker 1: More but if you're the minority in a, room you need to be able to protect. Yourself so you need to know who's in the room and what they might. Do women know more about, Men black people know more about white people to protect themselves from generations of.
Speaker 6: PREDATION i, MEAN i don't think that's breaking any new.
Speaker 1: GROUND i don't think that's a genius, thing BUT i think it's it's why you would never be, LIKE.
Speaker 6: I don't know about these white. PEOPLE i just don't understand white.
Speaker 2: People but white people are also mean to white people in a way that's so. Weird like as a white, Dude i'm sure you've experienced this or at least seen. It but it's like the dude that gets drunk around the homies and they're just, like, uh fold them, up throw them in the, fridge.
Speaker 3: Whatever god dick on his.
Speaker 4: Face.
Speaker 2: Wow back WHEN i had white, FRIENDS i remember one time they sent me a picture on my phone of one of the. Homies, uh and he was but ass, naked folded, up sat into a sink and like drawing on and they sent it to me like ha, Ha AND i was, like is he?
Speaker 3: Okay where's?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 2: He?
Speaker 3: Do we need to go get? Him and they're, like, no it's fucking. FUNNY i was, like who did this to? Him and they're, like we.
Speaker 4: Did it was, like, fuck y'all, right that's that's not.
Speaker 6: Funny my friend got.
Speaker 1: Drunk he had a bad issue with the. Alcohol he would drink you pass. Out we did a lot of camping and, drinking and so we stood him up against the tree and we duc taked him to the, tree and then of course.
Speaker 6: The obligatory white guy think we drew a deck in his. Face that's kind of. Me and then we took A.
Speaker 4: Why is that a? Culture i've never understood. That do you do this? Right i'm, like that's supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be, listen what happens when you don't have apex? Predators you just start doing weird shit to each other because you, like no what we're we're enforcing our own, rules like polar bears.
Speaker 6: BLACK i would say that black humor the JOKE i. HAD i had a fun argument With Van, nathan you, Know, Lathan Yeah nathan about.
Speaker 1: THIS i, said black comedy is meaner than white. Comedy it is much. Meaner he disagrees with. Me and but what you're saying is, like why do white guys do that to each? Other it's a white guy thing, more but it's a white thing pranks and stuff like.
Speaker 6: That AND i don't know if this is along those, lines but All i'll say.
Speaker 1: About black culture or black people is they don't like that very. Much and to a certain. Extent let's get to specifically eating in. Food so there we, Were i'm, eighteen sitting next to this guy grew up in The bronx around almost entirely black, people AND i reached onto his tray to take some of his, food to take A french, fry and.
Speaker 6: Do you know what he?
Speaker 3: Did slapped your hand?
Speaker 6: Away worse what not as? Bad spit in the? Food what do you? Do stab my hand with his.
Speaker 3: Fork, okay that's, okay that'll teach into.
Speaker 6: FOOD i will say.
Speaker 1: This, then all those black guys did have a prank that wouldn't work on white people because we wouldn't. Care but the prank was. This when you got your, food usually your dessert at the cafeteria in the dorm at, college you'd sit down a piece of. Cake one guy would have his finger into the, cake and then the guy couldn't eat. IT i would not happen to a white guy if you jammed your finger into my, CAKE i would be LIKE i WOULD i would just be, like eat.
Speaker 6: IT i would.
Speaker 2: See, WELL i THINK i think the thing with white comedy and mean IS i feel LIKE i feel like white comedy is mean to people who aren't in the. ROOM i feel like black comedy everybody in the room is on the menu like.
Speaker 3: That and that's the that's the.
Speaker 2: Rule that's the. Deal like we can fuck everybody up in. Here like the amount of times you watched like Either Deaf Comedy jam or you go to a comedy club and you just, realize oh, Shit i'm on the menu like these like like they're looking around the room like and look at this. Motherfucker you're, Like god. DAMN i did not want to be part of.
Speaker 1: THIS i mean the great talking about in, COLLEGE i mean that's WHERE i learned. That but then sitting at the table at the comedy cellar With patresea O'Neill And Keith robinson and AND i MEAN i could just name, it you.
Speaker 6: KNOW i mean When Kevin hart.
Speaker 1: Started Kevin hart used to come up From philadelphia With Big Jay operson and you come in to comedy. Club we every knew he's, funny and but he was obvious as you, know he's. Tiny he would get roasted By patrice was, huge and so many other kind of everybody and we all would and it was just it was always a firing, squad and you, know whatever your insecurity, was that's what they were coming. For LIKE i Remember college's tall BLACK i couldn't. DUNK i thought he was going to kill himself with the, insults but they were.
Speaker 2: Buddy, yeah, racism we love.
Speaker 3: It it's given us so.
Speaker 6: Much.
Speaker 2: Uh, now what about with politics and, comedy BECAUSE i feel, like, uh there's definitely been a tightening of the like political like what what what can we?
Speaker 4: Love we're doing?
Speaker 3: Here like don't you?
Speaker 2: Know over the, Years AND i think a lot of that's because the advent of social. MEDIA i always THINK i always say bloggers and stand up comedians were like the worst fucking Ben diagram to ever, meet because it's like two myopic people that are, like only my point of view is, valid and then they're both just shitting on each other and it JUST i feel like that just bloomed into the Entire internet, now and that's kind of like a lot of the. Culture it's definitely not that way in the, room, Right, so like you go to a stand up comedy special or just, whatever just stand up comedy in your, area it doesn't feel like. That it's not tight like. That but a lot of the way we consume comedy now is not in the room. Anymore it's for everyone outside the. Room so like going into politics after coming out of, comedy did you feel that tightening do you feel it loosening it?
Speaker 3: Back is like how does it feel to you?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Ah such a really important question and end conversation to. Have BUT i MEAN i generally have always felt like a lot of that has been. OVERBLOWN i feel like the main prime rule of comedy is still the, truth which is don't punch. Down the greats didn't really do. That you, Know George carlin didn't go after vulnerable. Communities you, Know Richard pryor didn't go after your own. People you can, say you, can you can punch down to a certain, extent make a funny, joke but like you, know partying, Today like there's so many comedians like going after trans. People it's so LIKE i find that so uninteresting and almost always not funny because if you just knew anything about the, transmmunity you, know like a lot of them are really really struggling and suicidal the suicide. Rates it's, like why would you go after our, community who you, know like is has a lot of suicidal, ideation or going after.
Speaker 6: Like the gay community and making gay.
Speaker 1: Jokes like WHEN i started as a comedy a, COMEDIAN i didn't even like to put like my then girlfriend and then wife THAT i.
Speaker 6: Never punched down at.
Speaker 1: Her my jokes were about me being like, short my shortcomings in the, marriage poor, her she has to deal with. Me BECAUSE i just felt like that kind of overt sexism of male comedians some about their, WIVES i just felt like that was over and SO i just never was really impressed with. That SO i think like the that whole idea of punching down and punching, UP i still feel.
Speaker 6: Like that should be the.
Speaker 1: Rule there are exceptions of, sexism and racism can be. Funny The holocaust could be, funny cancer can be anything can be. Funny if it's done the right way by the right, person that might be. Home BUT i think that you need to know who you are and who you're talking to and who your audience, is and not all comedy obviously has a political.
Speaker 6: BENT a lot of, it doesn't you.
Speaker 1: Know ard Of George carland's act was fart jokes and observational humor and and and and jokes on, language brilliant jokes on, language and then a lot of the other stuff with social and culture and. Political but it depends on who you are and how you fashion. Yourself but it has really interestingly changed in terms of like from liberal to, conservative the left of the right in the, spectrum in terms of what we.
Speaker 6: Laugh, at what we're allowed to laugh, at, Right.
Speaker 1: AND i think the one thing that is so often we believe narratives because they seem to. Fit but like the idea that liberals are more, sensitive it is probably true in a lot of, ways at least in that we care about.
Speaker 6: Strangers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it's like When Rob reiner died and people were, LIKE i didn't agree with his, politics but let me And i'm like his politics of.
Speaker 3: Inclusion, diversity, care.
Speaker 2: Empathy you should kind of be a little bit ashamed to say that part out. Loud you should just go straight to the, like, man it's sad that he's. Dead you should just skip that part ABOUT i didn't like that he.
Speaker 3: Was like such a nice. GUY i wanted everyone to have. Equality that was kind of.
Speaker 1: CRAZY i just think that the difference Between, yeah it's, ridiculous the difference between like a liberal and conservative comedian to a certain extent or.
Speaker 6: Person, yeah when it comes To, county it's like they can't laugh at. Themselves no they.
Speaker 5: Can't and a lot of the you don't have a sense of. Humor they're like like they, Trumper LIKE.
Speaker 6: I had a. Trumper come, on you, know some maga guy in the live.
Speaker 1: CHAT i was doing A i think it's WITH, jl and some guy in the comments said some. Nonsense but then he said some stupid maga. Nonsense but then he called. Me he SAID i look like a baby, hamster AND i was, like, Funny.
Speaker 6: YEAH i. DO i.
Speaker 1: Do, LOOK i do think that about. MYSELF i do think that's. FUNNY i can laugh at that.
Speaker 6: Joke which is a direct insult HOW i, look AND i think it's. Funny so you can definitely make fun of my. Beliefs you can make fun of all kinds of things about.
Speaker 1: Me And i'm able to laugh at myself BECAUSE A i'm confident BE I i don't take myself so. Serious but those, guys they they can't laugh at. Themselves they that's why also why.
Speaker 6: They're not very.
Speaker 1: Funny they're not very many conservative comedians are very funny at.
Speaker 2: All it's much more like cultural, signifying, Right like it's a lot of a lot of the conservative stand up now is very much like because we all agree on and it's a premise that only if you're in like a certain circle of the, world would you be, like this premise makes. Sense so if you're, like, look, man these trans people are shooting up.
Speaker 3: Schools there's no factual basis for that. Joke but if you're in.
Speaker 2: A certain of a certain belief system and you're in that, room you're, like we are going with that. Premise now you make the funny joke about trans people shooting up schools where even though it's not fucking, true and that does suck because it feels like they have taken the universal appeal of what comedy is supposed to.
Speaker 3: Do they just kind of bastardize. It like it's LIKE i prefer that even if you.
Speaker 2: FAIL i prefer you're attempting to make us all. Lad i'm, like, hey it's. Hard it's not an easy, job BUT i understand the attempt when you're like, BOOM i said this. Thing, fuck it didn't, work as opposed to JUST i know this joke is not that, funny BUT i know it'll work because the people in this room want it to work more than they wanted to be.
Speaker 1: Funny the rules are the, Rules LIKE i, said you can make comedians and satirists and everybody you know the rules are.
Speaker 6: Anything so the example that you gave is a tough one to make. Funny school shooting tough to make.
Speaker 1: Funny BUT i will help you and everybody who wants to think about making a. Joke if you want to make a joke about school, shooting best to make it, truest which is about a white. Guy those are the jokes about school shootings that. Work it's why is it always a white? Guy why is it always a white? Guy it's always you, Know and and that's.
Speaker 6: Where the comedy and that.
Speaker 1: Subject there's not a lot of, it but if you want to find, it it's in why is it white?
Speaker 6: Guy lots of comedians are doing that?
Speaker 2: Joke, Right, yeah it's the people that GO i pick on, Everybody And i'm, like not a lot of dead cop comedians out, here not a lot of not a lot of motherfucker's making that premise work. Hard, Yeah no one picks on. Everybody you pick on war jokes out? Here come, on, now get, soldiers what are you?
Speaker 4: Doing you want to?
Speaker 3: Leave you want to leave the fucking you want to leave the room, alive.
Speaker 6: Bitch alex soldiers or?
Speaker 2: Don't speaking of, which, man how'd you meet jail covid, Man how how did because we are meeting you through, jail, yes which is uh probably the first positive thing.
Speaker 3: That's happened through us knowing. Jail so how did how did you meet a stand up?
Speaker 1: COMEDY i was probably five, six maybe a few your few years more ahead of, him and.
Speaker 6: You, KNOW i, started meaning like five or ten years maybe even ahead.
Speaker 1: HIM i THINK i recognized his talent right, away AND i also recognize his, character and we became.
Speaker 6: Friends LIKE i like this. GUY i think he's, funny he's helpful to.
Speaker 1: Me I'm i'm gonna help. Him and ALSO i, think IF i, THINK i probably had him open for me a lot of a lot of, events or at least a few BECAUSE i recognized how funny he wasn't, be how smart he wasn't for. ME i wanted to give opportunities to all kinds of, people but IF i was gonna be on the road with, somebody or If i'd be doing a gig with, somebody in a car with, SOMEBODY i wanted it to be with somebody who, is you, know better than. Me in, general those are my. Friends they're better than. Me their, character their, intellect their. HUMOR i Think jail's better than me in all those, ways and SO i probably you know THAT'S i gravitated towards, him AND i always just thought he was, underrated still do and always wanted to promote.
Speaker 6: Him he's always good to come on my.
Speaker 1: Show he always knocks it out of the park then and, now and SO i JUST i love, HIM i admire. HIM i feel bad for him when he's in, pain which is most of the.
Speaker 3: Time when is he not in?
Speaker 2: Pain in one, question Like karen always tried when he comes on, Here karen tries to like fix, Him i'm just, like, no let.
Speaker 4: Him i'm, SORRY i let you stay.
Speaker 2: Broken he needs the misery in the way that Like Michael jordan made up that people used to talk bad about, him and then later we will find out in the, documentary like that guy never even said that shit To Michael. Jordan Michael jordan fucking made up that that guy called him a piece of shit just so he could put fifty points on.
Speaker 3: HIM i feel like That's.
Speaker 2: Jail you just gotta let him cook and then eventually life will throw him from curve balls and a little great great comedy out of.
Speaker 3: It and that's What i'm in it. For, okay good.
Speaker 4: Comedy, Yes i'll get.
Speaker 2: Excited WHEN i hear something bad happen In New. Jersey i'm, like, ooh a train was. Late all, right let me turn into the, podcast see what's going on over.
Speaker 6: THERE i, MEAN i think he's happiest when he's making people. Laugh that's what damn. Sure if you've seen him performing live and seeing him killing, like he also is happiest to.
Speaker 1: Laugh he's happy To he's as happy to appreciate your joke as he is to make a.
Speaker 6: Joke he loves.
Speaker 1: Humor and, comedy especially when it's good and when it's. ORIGINAL i think he's probably happy when he's around his.
Speaker 6: Dogs he seems to really like a. Girl he has moments of.
Speaker 1: JOY i wish for him and for all of us, to you, know have more moments of. Joy BUT i think it's important to recognize that life is filled with. Suffering it's mostly suffering a lot of. It so when you find the, joy it's awesome and and get to. It that's my practice and certain Imit's, buddhism and that's that's WHY, i you, know focus ON i try to spread that to. Him BUT i, also you, know try to get get him to leave That catholic. Church but he's he's the real deal.
Speaker 6: And that he he, yeah.
Speaker 1: HE i Mean i've seen him and know a lot of things he does privately that are part OF i think influenced.
Speaker 6: At least by his.
Speaker 1: FAITH i like to THINK i do similar things and don't have to be a member of an institution that is protects.
Speaker 2: Pedophiles, saying but, well you, know, look some people need to you, know they need to fight to fight the system from the, INSIDE i, guess BUT i prefer to be on the, outside like to be part of.
Speaker 6: The church that would allow my daughter to rise to a position of. Leadership that would be, nice you.
Speaker 3: Know just, basically we weren't patting the pope on the back for being Like. Gabe they are, right.
Speaker 4: Like what.
Speaker 3: Human, yeah, Listen i'm Aw i'm a different type of. Pope.
Speaker 2: OKAY i take the money from the gay, People i'll take the money from the straight.
Speaker 3: PEOPLE i don't give a. Fuck black people bring the.
Speaker 2: Money we need ten percent of. Everything but but it, is, uh it is funny that to see him like earnestly running for office like cause, like on the one, Hand i'm, Like, damn this dude is so funny and he's such a but also like he's such a he's so.
Speaker 3: Used to running up against this brick wall of.
Speaker 2: Comedy yes THAT i feel like politics can't be that much harder than ever brickwall than what he's already been. DOING i feel like him coming up to people Called turkey to, say sign this, petition how's that different than A bringer?
Speaker 3: SHOW i think he was built for.
Speaker 1: THIS i think THAT i think that there's been parts of his career that are obviously really his impressions have gotten him a lot more attention than his stand up and it's it's only because like he's not for enough.
Speaker 6: People it's not because he's not, funny it's not because he's not.
Speaker 1: Brilliant it's like there are certain people who always have smaller cult followings because you, know they don't have that kind of universal. Appeal and part of that is because he's so. SMART a lot of his jokes are too high prow for a larger mass audience and, appeal and his style and his demeanor and a lot of those. Things but, also And i've always said, this you, know at his, part he's a public.
Speaker 6: Servant he's always done.
Speaker 1: Service acts of service as a volunteer as a student for all different kinds of, communities and that's what he's doing, now this nonprofit that he's working in to fight homelessness and. Eviction and that's why he went to law, school and that's what his family brought him up to. Be is you, Know dad was very influence on. Him and you, KNOW i THINK i think that this is really suited for. Him AND i think in This Dan angel politics where you need people who can fight and can, banter who can you, know that's he's the kind of person you. Need you need people who are good performers and who are good fighters and who are.
Speaker 6: Smart he's all those. Things And New jersey's eleventh district would be real lucky to have him. Represented.
Speaker 2: ABSOLUTELY i think so. Too LIKE i definitely agree with the fighter part.
Speaker 6: Too.
Speaker 2: Man i'm really focused on that in twenty twenty six Because I'm i'm tired of arguing with people over degrees of difference on the.
Speaker 3: Left it's it's so.
Speaker 2: Fruitless we're not getting much out of it except eroding the goodwill we have for each.
Speaker 3: Other, YES i Think.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna practice the next year is just when somebody says something AND i would have normally been, like, well wouldn't it be, Better i'm just gonna be, LIKE i don't know you're, gonna but you're gonna vote for The democrat when it's time to.
Speaker 3: Vote fuck?
Speaker 6: It no.
Speaker 2: COOL i, Like i'm tired of arguing about shit that's just Not it's, like ultimately it would be a luxury for it to, matter but we need to get in a position to be in a, luxury like to have that luxury of, like, no seventeen dollar minimum, wage rather than starting with this motherfucker says sixteen dollar minimum, Wage i'm staying, Home, like we gotta figure a way out of that part so we can get to this other.
Speaker 6: PART i fully agree with.
Speaker 1: THAT i would only add along the line that's like, politics LIKE i have lost my patience with at least certain people in certain. Situations i'll say around scientific, consensus specifically obviously Climate i've never had any patience for people's skepticism about the.
Speaker 6: Census consensus around climate, change but specifically on the. VACCINES i was talking to a friend of, mine a guy hadn't talked to in.
Speaker 1: Years GUY i used to be really good friends with the colleagues with work in, media did.
Speaker 6: A lot of good things for.
Speaker 1: Me but he also looked up to me and admired, me and SO i decided when he was said some ignorant nonsense about, VACCINES i was just, Like he's, like we just had our. Daughter you just had a. KID i was, like oh my, God i'm talked ten. Years it's, like, congratulations you're a.
Speaker 6: Dad that's.
Speaker 1: Amazing hold one years. Old and what do you think about the? Vaccines it's like What he's, LIKE i don't. Think we're not gonna do. Them we're not gonna do them all at.
Speaker 6: Once.
Speaker 1: Whatever so myra this, time because of who he was in my life and because of what his background, does and because WHAT i, KNOW i, go what are you fucking?
Speaker 6: STUPID i are you.
Speaker 1: A stupid person's and he did this whole you, Know i'm doing my research on being. Responsible i'm, like you don't know how to do. Research you're a Stupid you're you're in. Media you don't do. Research STOP i read a. Study you don't know how to read a?
Speaker 6: Study?
Speaker 4: Stupid, right most of us don't study was?
Speaker 6: Conducted do you know who conducted?
Speaker 1: It do you know if they used a blind randomized control?
Speaker 6: Variable do you know how many studies they were on that one?
Speaker 1: Studies do you know any of the words That i'm saying BECAUSE i just learned him from a guy who does, RESEARCH i don't know you, stupid fuck.
Speaker 2: STUPID i feel LIKE i, uh and it seems like you have it. Too BUT i definitely have this fucking like bit of A Debbie downer in, me this like hyper vigilance part THAT i try to keep in, check but it pops out like that because and it's it pops out more with IF i care about, you like like IF i, don't IF i, don't like If i'm at the basketball court you say some ignorant shit or, whatever it's, LIKE i don't know this. Motherfucker but if it's like my brother and he's, like, Yeah i'm not getting my kids, Vaccinated i'm.
Speaker 4: Like hole.
Speaker 2: CRANGE i, can't LIKE i can't stop myself from. It AND i think that does come from being a nerdy kid that got picked on and and and all that type of shit, Too like it's still in me to this, day like like there's, times matter of, fact my friend justin one of my best. Friends we became cool because we were playing basketball against these guys and the guy goes to Insult justin and he Called justine he's some form of like. GAY i don't think it was a, slur but it was like the implication Is justin is. Gay and we're in the middle of the game and we just stopped the clock AND i was just, like, so what would be the problem if he was? Gay it's, like, man just you, know, man just check.
Speaker 3: Up, man that's just we're like.
Speaker 2: No but like like so if he was, gay like what he he wouldn't be as good at basketball or. Whatever and everybody's like take the ball, up just fucking play the.
Speaker 3: Ball AND i was, like, nah but it's serious because like why would you do?
Speaker 2: That and like another, time there were these two girls that waited all day to play with us and all the.
Speaker 3: Guys there's like ten guys and they're just, like.
Speaker 2: Nah, man we got, ten AND i was, like, well the girls have next, Right, no they can't, play. MAN i was, like they're gonna play or no one's gonna, play, Right and it's LIKE i part of me is like life would be fucking easier if that didn't. Exist in, Me but it'd be harder for, them, right it'd be harder for those two girls cause they never get to fucking play because the guys are just so fucking.
Speaker 3: Selfish and it was an easy. Solution one girl on one team weren't girl on the other.
Speaker 2: Team oh, FUCK i just solved the goddamn they pay each. OTHER i just, solved for fucking. Pie it wasn't even fucking hard to. Solve but it's just that unwillingness and selfishness that people. Have And, yeah LIKE i, said part of ME i hate. THAT i can't stop, it but part of ME i. DON'T i can't imagine being a person that didn't have it BECAUSE i look at those people as like.
Speaker 1: Cowards, YEAH i love the way that you talked about that quality of, yours and it makes me like you a lot. MORE i admire you a lot more and probably think that might be why we are connected to a certain, extent BECAUSE i live by a couple of simple.
Speaker 6: Ideas be the change you want to see in the.
Speaker 1: World so if someone is putting someone, down treating someone, poorly what.
Speaker 6: Are you doing in that?
Speaker 1: Moment if you don't if you want to say the, environment what are you doing about. It another one is surround yourself with people who fight for you in rooms that you're not.
Speaker 6: In, right, someone If i'm in a room with all.
Speaker 1: White guys and they say something about black people or more likely you, KNOW i guess the best examples in the nineteen GUYS i talked to in a text chain from high school After Charlie kirk. Died the one there's a couple of trumpers in. THERE i hate them and didn't want them, invited but they're in, there But i'm there to confront.
Speaker 6: Them So.
Speaker 1: Charlie this guy went off On Charlie kirk and how good he, was AND i was, like wrong. PLACE i let him on fire and we haven't heard from him, since And i'm proud of. That At, like you, know surround yourself with people who fight for you in the rooms that you're not. In and, finally the one THAT i think about all the, TIME i heard This australian general say it years.
Speaker 6: Ago was covering this issue in the.
Speaker 1: News it was during they had some horrible incident of sexual, harassment which all militaries have an epidemic of, it men harassing women and other men generally.
Speaker 6: Speaking but there was some horrible.
Speaker 1: Issue and so This australian general in his Cool australian, accent basically he, said the standard you walk, past he's the standard you. Accept the standard you walk past is the standard you. Accept so if someone's over, here you, know making gay jokes and you're just allowing, it or making raisist jokes and you're just allowing, it there's a million ways to handle.
Speaker 6: IT i know it's, uncomfortable BUT i know that.
Speaker 1: If if My jewish, friends my gay, friend my black friend or loved one knew THAT i stood by and allowed, that they would be disappointed in the shame of.
Speaker 6: Me AND i personally can't live with their.
Speaker 1: Disrespect So i've been that way pretty much my whole, life and it has made me a lot more, friends then it's lost. Me it's gave me a lot more, respect then it's lost. Me and it's my favorite quality.
Speaker 2: Because in some ways like it like in a way it's not even really about the.
Speaker 3: Other it's about.
Speaker 2: Me Like i'll just like in a way it is about me Where i'm just Like i'm not gonna be in a place where this is Where AND i don't know if you found this, too But, uh all this talk like alpha mal this all this. Shit men are so fucking easy to just be, like, no we're not doing, that and the vast majority of the time are just, like, oh, OKAY i see what you.
Speaker 3: Mean like it's like it's not always a. Fight like. Uh the WAY i lost my white friends was when they When trump was.
Speaker 2: RUNNING i, remember uh he was saying the first, Time he's Like mexican's a rapists and, shit AND i was, like this guy's a fucking. Racist what the? Fuck no, one you can't vote for this. Shit it was, like, well you, KNOW i, Mean i'm more about the. ECONMYE i was, like fuck, you and fuck. That don you vote for this. Dude we won't be hanging out. Anymore and uh one of them like got a little chippy and was like what do you? Know you just have like a podcast and and all this.
Speaker 3: Shit you don't know what the fuck you're talking.
Speaker 2: About AND i was, like, oh, okay my little, podcast okay.
Speaker 3: Cool SO i was, like, Uh i'm gonna Read i'm gonna read this.
Speaker 2: Email on our, pod little podcast that no one listen, too that you don't. Respect and the way this man got SCARED i didn't say his name or anything.
Speaker 3: Like he was just, like, man take it, down take it.
Speaker 2: DOWN i was, like, Now i'm just gonna post screenshots without your name and it just And i'm just gonna say on my little, platform, hey this is what the fuck white people are talking about With trump and excuses they're making for his racism and. Bigotry and that's and that was when the other white friends popped up to be, like hey, man you maybe take it down man or.
Speaker 3: Whatever AND i was, like fuck.
Speaker 2: Everybody and that's HOW i lost, him BECAUSE i was, Like i'm not gonna be an environment where him saying that to, me y'all didn't say shit Right WHEN i was, like hey, man this guy's, racist AND i thought you guys.
Speaker 3: Weren't y'all were like, crickets Like rod'll handle.
Speaker 2: It but then When i'm, like hey, Man i'm gonna put you on, blast they're like, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: Whoa, now let's not go too.
Speaker 2: Far AND i, think you, Know i'd Rather i'd rather be like this than to be like.
Speaker 6: That you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i think one of the major issues that we've seen lost as, results specifically If trump and the genre of the movement that there's a loss of. Shame, yes and you can say anything you want to anyone you. Want and So i'm always for putting someone on. Blast oh if, if, if that doesn't, matter if YOU i love these videos when someone just says some horrible stuff and people tape it and you know they they have their, lives you, know. DESTROYED i wouldn't wish that on, somebody but it's important that the rest of us see.
Speaker 6: That be, LIKE i should keep some things for, myself you, KNOW i would be out.
Speaker 1: Here shame is a really really important. THING i, MEAN i try to change AND i could tell, you you, know we all should be able to have a lot of stories where we stood up and did the right. Thing it's, like you, know like when the woman's being cat called in the street one time In New York.
Speaker 6: City this you, know guy's leaning out of his. Truck he's, like hey, Mommy Hey, poppy why don't you come over here To? Poppy he gets something that, whatever and the woman's like looking at. Him he's walking AND i just walk up to, him lean up to his. TRUCK i was, like Hey, poppy.
Speaker 4: And it don't feel good due when.
Speaker 2: Unwonted, yeah one TIME i was at the court and my BOY mt saw some chick walking.
Speaker 6: Up let me.
Speaker 2: Finish oh of, course, yeah, NO i assume that that's WHY i didn't cut you, off BECAUSE i was, like you don't even need to tell.
Speaker 3: HER i know how.
Speaker 4: THIS i hope you charge the fair price for your. Services don't do it for.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah the game's to be so not. Told BUT i remember.
Speaker 2: My Friend empty there was some girl walking up on the track when we were playing, ball and she was.
Speaker 3: Attractive but he was, like, hey hey girl or.
Speaker 2: Whatever empty's, white by the, way but he's, like hey, girl, Hey AND i was, like what are You are you doing.
Speaker 3: That to impress?
Speaker 2: Me like she can barely hear, you and she's definitely not gonna be, like oh my, GOD i need to run downstairs and give this guy some. Buzzy so what like WHAT Id you're clearly just doing this so THAT i know that you think that girl's.
Speaker 3: ATTRACTIVE i can see from down.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker now you just got us looking. Corny AND i just kept calling him corny but like a. Lot LIKE i, said it's so. Funny people get so worried about not fitting in or. Whatever then since we were like, kids and it is so funny how you flip the power like, that and almost every time it's, like oh, yeah, noah, No i'm much cooler than. THAT i actually could have walked up there and got her, number Because i'm a real cool kyle like.
Speaker 3: That i'm, like, yeah you were, corny and don't let me catch me at corny in front of me. Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's, sexist and, like we're all, sexists and we need to recognize it and see it for what it is and try to be. Better and the best example of that behavior you just, mentioned the best national example Was Billy bush on The Access hollywood Tape Oh god And hot mic catches then Celebrity trump, saying, yeah your, fingers you can grab him by the, pussy And Billy bush just laughs and doesn't say, anything and then the world finds that out. Later, WELL i was On Real time With Bill maher ON hbo And Billy bush was on that. Episode oh you go watch the, clip Because Billy bush still didn't seem controlled even Though Bill maher brought him back to like to a rehabilitation, time you. Know AND i went After Billy bush similar to the WHAT i said here about the PRINCIPLES i lived. BY i said that quote the standard walk past is the. Standard except mar did not like WHAT i.
Speaker 6: Said so he talks to me.
Speaker 1: And he's, like, Oh, pete you've always been great with, women and you've never this and, that AND i, said, no, man, NO i absolutely objectified women in my. Life i've absolutely thought about women as vessels to be. CONQUERED i still catch myself doing it and thinking and saying inappropriate. Things BUT i did mature at a certain.
Speaker 7: Point and more, IMPORTANTLY i was never in a group of friends or with a bunch of men that talked about taking sex or joking about assaulting.
Speaker 6: Women what we, did what most GUYS i.
Speaker 1: Know do locker room talk was, THIS i want to fuck that, girl and then your buddy's, going she'll never fuck.
Speaker 6: You and at this.
Speaker 3: The real locker on, top they, talk they.
Speaker 4: Talk i'm not primitives, too sometimes. Ragitment we don't talk like. That.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was actually the most offensive thing about That trump shit was when they were like his locker room. TALK i was, like, no it's not, WELL i don't know what the fuck you guys talk about in the locker. Room that is not the locker room. Talk is like put your old balls.
Speaker 1: Away like even my, TWENTIES i don't know how you were raised or how that guy was. Raised but in my twenties or my, thirties obviously NOW i have. Daughters For god's. Sake sometimes people, like, oh you shouldn't be like a pro woman feminist type of person just because you have. Daughters i'm, like, WELL i would care more about cerebral palsy if my kid had.
Speaker 6: That SO i have. DAUGHTERS i think a lot about, women.
Speaker 1: And i've worked on, issues you, know with women's equity and reproductive rights and domestic violence and all these. Things and the bottom line is like in my twenties or thirties are now like IF i knew a, MAN i knew whether if he was a stranger even as we're talking about much LIKE i knew touched a woman right woman right, That like my what would my? REACT i probably slapped the shit out of, him BUT i would certainly say, something.
Speaker 6: And it would be. HORRIBLE i don't know IF i, would like who's doing?
Speaker 3: That and that's definitely not the homeless.
Speaker 2: Like like he's definitely also not the guy that's like you're kicking it, With like he comes, back and he's, like, DUDE i just grabbed so many pussies and you're, like, whoa, Whoa i'm gonna.
Speaker 6: OUT i will out my.
Speaker 1: Friend this, SUMMER i was at a birthday party for my buddy's fifty so we're all, fifty and my friend's eighty year old mom was, there and he is so drunk that he put his arm around her and WHAT i thought was not an appropriate, way but she didn't. CARE i don't think because he's.
Speaker 6: So small and non threatening and so, drunk but it is weird that he put his arm around.
Speaker 1: An eighty year old our friend's mom like he basically in the past as a fifty year old at our friend's eight year old MoMA was, like what ARE i?
Speaker 6: MEAN i grabbed him and pulled him out of the, tuition but still, like what are you?
Speaker 5: Doing she's, bro mama gotta have a life time trying to find him a sugar?
Speaker 3: Mama was she upset with? You she's, like, DUDE i almost got some fucking. Action what are you. Doing i've Been i've been.
Speaker 2: Fucking i've been working this fifty year old dude all goddamn.
Speaker 4: Night i've been working this.
Speaker 6: ROAD i end up poking up with her.
Speaker 3: Like a. Gentleman. YAKAY i was sober, consent, like, yeah you're absolutely.
Speaker 2: Okay, LISTEN i hear what's going on in these old folks home. Communities, man they're spreading his STDs. Around, bro they know what's. Up they, like we ain't got much longer to, Live so, like what's living six more months with The? Clap you know What i'm? Saying, like why are? We why AM i even stressing that right? Now OH i CAUGHT i caught. Syphilist oh, no not not not me a Ninety.
Speaker 1: OH i MEAN i like to think that at that point in my, Life i'll have so few shits to care about and so much less time to live THAT i would sign up to live in a nursing home called The.
Speaker 3: Clap, yes, HONESTLY i think that's that's when you let loose with the. Drugs i'm up.
Speaker 2: At The, clap The Clap Community, Home Shady Shady, acres The Clap. Division, Pete, man this has been so, fun. Man you have to come back another. Time we'll do less of an interview thing and we'll do some pop. Culture, yeah, well we'll play some. Games we'll actually about white people because we don't know that much about white. People we have a lot of news about white, people and we're just always hopeful that maybe the white people we have his guest might know who these people.
Speaker 3: Are, like, uh, okay let's do.
Speaker 2: One zachary Ty brian could face full prison. Sentence, yeah you know that Is karen. Actors karen's going with Actor. Pete you know Who zachary Ty brian.
Speaker 6: Is, yeah he was on the Show Home.
Speaker 3: Improvement it's a fucking magic. Trick i'm gonna get up running.
Speaker 6: Around Yeah zachary type.
Speaker 4: Woh rodigas stand stuff.
Speaker 3: Up i'm dropping stuff because that Was that was a magic. Trick that's what that. Was sleight of. HAND i don't know who that man, is But pete.
Speaker 4: Did we can't hear. Him, baby you're.
Speaker 3: Frozen Oh i'm. Frozen my internet disconnected for a. Second let me try. Refreshing oh my, god.
Speaker 6: That really just.
Speaker 2: Happened oh, man they're gonna hear this later and be, like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Happened?
Speaker 6: Oh joy off the. Internet that's how good it was right.
Speaker 4: Back it was so.
Speaker 3: Good it was a magic. TRICK i LITERALLY i dropped my.
Speaker 2: PICTURE i dropped my picture off the wall BECAUSE i ran away because that sleight of hand that he just did was was a magic trick to.
Speaker 3: Me, guys that was. AMAZING i don't know who the Fuck Zachary, Brian Tyd. Bryant he has three first.
Speaker 2: NAMES i have no idea those are three white first names except unless It's, tyrone AND i would have never.
Speaker 1: KNOWN i just read a news story one for you. Guys do you know in the news right. Now it's a controversial story about uh, someone do you Know.
Speaker 6: Ian zeringe Is Ian? Zerring he's got to be an.
Speaker 3: ACTOR i know all.
Speaker 4: MUSICIAN i know, this you KNOW i don't Uh.
Speaker 1: God nine two, One, oh that's, Right Steve sanders nine o two and oh here's what we've got before You, rod since you, won we do have very excited uh small sandpaper.
Speaker 3: Block, yes. Nice i've never you, know For, rick never watched that, show not a one. EPISODE i loved that shit WHEN i was. Younger oh, man yeah it was my.
Speaker 4: FRIENDS i never saw. FRIENDS i have.
Speaker 3: Such huge cultural holes in my.
Speaker 2: Life meet too in the nineties BECAUSE i went through like the Nineties Spike, Lee MALCOLM x hat days WHERE i would just be, like that's white people, shit and THEN i just wouldn't watch.
Speaker 4: IT i never saw, friends they never Saw. Sinfield and THEN i REMEMBER i got.
Speaker 3: A tv in my room with me and my little, brother and it couldn't get.
Speaker 2: Cable it could only get the like regular over the air, channels and so every DAY i would Watch.
Speaker 3: SEINFELD i was, like this is the fucking funniest Shit i've ever seen in my.
Speaker 1: Life the opposite like growing up white and nnies and the access you, Had like the REFERENCES i had the black people in black culture were mostly, television, entertainment, music AND i was never a big music person of any. Genre but a lot of WHAT i thought about used to do this joke with my standing back in front of black. AUDIENCES a lot about WHAT i thought about black people in black culture was SOMETHING i learned, from you, know a predominantly black, show which you, know most of the time did a pretty good job in the seventies and eighties of. Representing but the show that was most indelible to, me the show THAT i laughed the hardest, at AND i wouldn't say it was like typical of black.
Speaker 6: Culture whatever it was mixed with The.
Speaker 1: Jeffersons, YES i Love The jeffersons is a show to this, day AND i can still hear my. Brother we would what we call scream laugh screaming laughing At George jefferson And florence whose, name what's her?
Speaker 6: Name after's? Name she's still, Alive, Marla.
Speaker 1: And that show for me Was Marla, GIBBS i Think Marla. Gibbs and there were a lot of, other you, know predominantly black shows too that, YEAH i. LIKED i liked black like sitcom and comedy and oh.
Speaker 3: That's the, thing.
Speaker 2: Dude black culture is Basically american, culture, Right like so much of our cultural expert In america has just been like black people. Shit like even stuff that's white people shit now was black people shit.
Speaker 3: There it was rock and, roll it was.
Speaker 1: Jazz and Think i'm just speaking Of i'm speaking out of a lot of, agents BUT i think it's.
Speaker 6: TRUE tv was overwhelmingly.
Speaker 1: Dominated by white actors and white shows, always so the point where you could talk about the first black on screen kiss with Like Sidney, poitieri the first black, lead or or even on The, awards we.
Speaker 6: Could it's just more.
Speaker 1: Nonsense but like so four white people who were at least trying to be open mind or curious whether they knew anything or.
Speaker 6: Not but CERTAINLY i was GROWN i was curious that, Way like it was hard FOR tv was your. Thing music was never my.
Speaker 1: Thing if music was more of the, thing music radicalizes people in all kinds of, ways AND i just never got into. It it's white cultural blind, spot but television and particularly comedy that was.
Speaker 2: Weird AND i guess WHAT i mean to say with that is like you would Think The jeffersons would be like a niche show because but it's it was like a lot of people Love The jeffersons because it WAS i, mean it was just.
Speaker 1: Dope there was a, thing and a lot of black, COMEDIANS a lot of comedians have done this, joke but there was there is a there was also a. Thing it's all kinds of things that it did that didn't help white, folks. Right, yeah used to be able to jokes that you know, WHAT i thought black people didn't this or. That, Right but but one of the jokes is that like growing up white In america watching a lot OF, tv you might have been vulnerable to the idea that there were a lot of young black boys with that disease where they didn't grow into full Men's there was only like nine shows ON, tv and one Was Emmanuel lewis and one Was Harry. Coleman why would casting these cute young black boys because they had the maturity of an older boy and they could play a, kid and they had those funny.
Speaker 6: Lines they were so good at.
Speaker 1: Comedy as a, result what you talk about willis but it was also where white people were, like what's wrong with Little why are those little black boys not?
Speaker 6: GROWING i think that agent like.
Speaker 2: CARTOONS i Think Larry wilmore in his BOOK I Wish We Got. CASINOS i think he's called Those shetland. Negroes that's, hilarious like a Little.
Speaker 6: Oh, god that's not.
Speaker 4: Nice that is.
Speaker 3: Hilarious, YEAH i remember reading that.
Speaker 2: Chapter fucking crime. Man oh my, God Pete, man this has been.
Speaker 3: Fun. Dude oh tell the people where to find you y you, know and like how to Be down With Pod jam Three.
Speaker 1: Pod Jam april. Ninth check it. Out there's a link for people to go buy tickets on my. Website Stand up With Pete that's my show is a daily. Show every DAY i interview really smart, experts really great entertaining. PEOPLE i do a full news recap every day. Too it's my whole, job my whole. Life my kids are eighteen and twenty one and don't need me much. ANYMORE i love my work and SO i produce a show every.
Speaker 6: Day it's a.
Speaker 1: Lot but if if you want to check, out subscribe on YouTube and, substack or listen wherever you get your, podcasts stand up With Pete dominic AND i can't wait to join forces with you guys more throughout the year and certainly up To april.
Speaker 6: And connecting our communities as much as we, can hopefully in.
Speaker 2: Person, yes sir jam, Three, yeah, man looking forward to. It never been To, vegas so you, know we'll see what that's. LIKE i Know pete famously does not like the, city And i've already got listeners that are, like, No i'm gonna show you the Real vegas or.
Speaker 3: WHATEVER i will, see. GUYS i don't want to end up with my hand and.
Speaker 6: Advice the new the new, sphere the, sphere, yeah the.
Speaker 3: The energy sucking uh.
Speaker 6: Got his own time.
Speaker 2: ZONE i do want to see the, sphere THOUGH i feel Like i'm part of the problem Because i'm like as, MUCH i, mean it's already. THERE i do want to look out the side of a plane and be, like that's a big ASS. Tv, yes that's WHAT i want to do.
Speaker 1: Too we came over the hill and we're in the car In vegas and my Friend nick he sees it and he, goes.
Speaker 5: Is that the?
Speaker 6: SPHERE i was, LIKE i tell, you stupid, motherfucker the Moon. Land of, course it's what else couldn't be. Far that's.
Speaker 2: Amazing we'll be back throughout the week. Everybody for premium. People we're doing our sports show tomorrow and we're gonna do our nerd off with just me And karen where we're gonna talk about our favorite nerd things we did this year and and and give you all our wrapped like here's the video game we played the, most you, know all that ship they send.
Speaker 3: You we're gonna do That.
Speaker 2: Thursday so we do have a busy week for people behind the paywall and the rest of you guys will see You.
Speaker 3: Saturday so until next, TIME i love.
Speaker 4: YOU i love. You why