Speaker 1: It's one thing to know who you are, know what your strengths are, know what you're motivated by, what you're passionate about, and what you want to do. But if that doesn't have a context, an ecosystem, a community to exist in, you're not necessarily going to get the pleasant emotion that's associated with it. So I think it's really this kind of nice combination of me and we, right these me needs and these we needs and finding ways for those to fit together.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the Psychology Podcast. Today we welcome doctor Nick Holton to the show. Nick is an international speaker, consultant, trainer, and coach. His work focuses on helping individuals become better versions on themselves through the application of the cutting edge science of human flourishing, a synergenistic development of both peak performance and overall well being. In fulfillment, he works with individuals, teams, businesses, and organizations ranging from professional athletes, NCAA programs, educational institutions, first responders, and Fortune one hundred executives. He is co founder of the Anti Fragile Academy, and he also hosts the podcast Flourish FM, which is sponsored by the Human Flourishing Program at Harvard and the Department of Education at Oxford. Nick has worked with clients, given talks, and delivered trainings across the US, Europe, India, Australia, Uganda, Singapore, Mexico, and South America. In this episode, I talked to Nick Holton about human flourishing. Our current education system is primarily concerned with teaching academic subjects. While building knowledge is essential, this is not enough to allow students to self actualize. Nick points out that young people's need to matter should be addressed as well. To facilitate human flourishing, we need to embed the different principles of positive psychology both inside and outside of the classrooms. Nick and I believe that education can transform society for the better, and we exchange ideas on how we can build an ecosystem that fosters holistic development. This is a topic really near and dear to my heart, and it was great to have this chat with someone who I really admire. Nick's a great guy. He's super smart, super caring, and he has a really amazing go get him attitude. So that further ado I bring you doctor Nick Holton. Hey, buddy, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Good Man? It's good to see you. It's so good to see you too.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, well, I'm really looking forward to chatting with you today, and thank you so much for me on my podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh it's my pleasure. I've been looking forward to this as well. It's nice to see you again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to see you too. I'd love for you to introduce yourself to our audience a little bit, because you are many things, as we all are, but you are many unique things.
Speaker 1: Oh, I appreciate that. I don't know how unique they are. But doctor Nickoleton, So, as I tell people, I really focus on, I think the science of human flourishing and sort of the three ease. So that's entrepreneurs and exacts, elite athletes, and as we'll probably talk about a little bit today, education or educators as well. So my PhD is in educational psychology. I'm traditionally an educator trained as an educator, but have moved sort of into the world of our scientific understanding of human flourishing and the good life.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you are interested in the science. What was your training?
Speaker 1: My training is an educational psychology, so primarily focused on research and application of educational principles, pedagogical principles, psychological principles in educational spaces. You could interpret educational spaces rather broadly, but in this particular degree, it was focused on classroom experiences and school experiences. And I've just taken some of those and transferred them to other contexts.
Speaker 2: Okay, when you studied educational psychology, when you say education, did you bring in were there some favorite theories in the field of psychology that you brought into your work. This is the Psychology podcast, So let's integrate, you know, psychology into this. You know, where there's certain things you're like, wow, like I really love that psychologists and how they were thinking about education.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not even less necessarily the way they were thinking about education, because I think part of what I found is that I didn't necessarily come across a researcher, researchers that were thinking about education the big picture and the way that I really wanted to or thought we should. We'll probably talk about it in reference Ken Robinson, sir Ken Robinson, the late great sir Ken Robinson, who I know you're a big fan of. There were people like that, just not necessarily folks I would qualify as academic researchers. The closest people I would come to are, of course ME High, chicks at ME High, and Richard Ryan and ed dec. So my introduction was basically coming through a master's program teaching for a long time, looking at the situation around me and saying, this ain't it. This is not as good as it gets, despite being in a context where it could have probably been about as good as it gets if you remove that context from the educational system. And so so when I entered my PhD program, I really went searching not just for research, but really for examples and understanding of how we could do this better, because I was looking at young people who were, you know, who found their element so to speak, right, who were passionate, who were excited, who weren't just jumping through the hoops and chasing grades and admission to certain schools, and those sorts of things. And the closest thing I came to, where DC Ryan intrinsic motivation, passion, purpose, flow, those sorts of things, and that eventually opened me up to the world of positive psychology and flourishing more generally awesome.
Speaker 2: So when was your introduction into the field of positive psychology.
Speaker 3: So I started finding and then studying and writing about you diemonia or daemoniam, depending on how you want to pronounce it.
Speaker 1: In it must have been twenty twelve. That was pretty early into my doctoral program. That opened me up up to sort of these different versions and scientific conceptualizations of well being, and that eventually led me down the road to sort of just reading different things that have and then his fate would have it in two thousand and fourteen, twenty fifteen. It must have been twenty fifteen. It was the graduating class of twenty fifteen the school I was working at brought in doctor tal Ben Shahar, and so I was mid dissertation writing a lot about sort of the science of well being, daemonia, engagement, intrinsic motivation, flow, and then here comes Tall And if your listeners don't know, Tall Tall started the positive psychology program at Harvard that became wildly popular, and I think in many ways was sort of on the front line of the development of this field. It was very fortunate I went up and introduced myself. He was incredibly kind. He offered to read my dissertation, He was very supportive, offered to help in any way he could, So that only kind of furthered my dive and enthusiasm into the field as a whole, and it evolved from there.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, yeah, he's he's a prior guest of our podcast as well.
Speaker 1: I would imagine. Yeah, he's a great guy.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely. Okay, So when did you get into coaching and consulting? Because you've worked with professional and collegiate athletes Fortune five hundred business leaders obviously educators, but also thought leaders from around the world. It's in your bio, So can you when did when did that happen? So that's like an add on, an add on to your career.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, well in some ways, yeah, I mean to the coaching question depends on how you want to frame up coaching. I had been coaching soccer for a decade already by the time I entered my doctoral program. It was my gig in college during undergrad Right, I was a pretty good player myself, and knew I wanted to go into education, knew I wanted to work with young people, and so coaching the sport that I played, seem like a nice natural transition, right, So I have in some way, shape or form been instructing, coaching, teaching, whatever you want to call it, you know, whatever semantic debate you want to have around those terms. Really since two thousand and three, probably, right, so fifteen years or so in each field, you know, combined thirty years experience across basically every age group in most I think, probably different demographic populations as well. So there was a lot of coaching, a lot of teaching from two thousand and three to really within the last a few years, handful of years, probably, Like once I've defended my dissertation twenty sixteen, I started my own business, started coaching, started consulting because I basically looked at what I was doing inside a classroom around flourishing, pause, psych wellness, motivation, purpose, you know, a lot of the stuff that you write about and transcend as well, and said, well, this can apply to anybody, right, Like, it's great to be able to sit here and do this with young people, but I can do more and I want to do more. So that turned eventually into adult courses. So I was teaching a lot of parents of the school that I worked at, I was teaching a lot of alumni, and then I started kind of as a side gig advising some business leaders, working with athletes here and there, and then it just sort of developed to the point where and then eventually you and I met this way. Eventually I left that school, moved to Philadelphia, your original hood, and was kind of walking around downtown. In fact, I remember it very specifically, walking around downtown Washington Square Park listening to your episode with Glenn Fox on FRC radio.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: So I had followed Steven Stephen Kttler were talking about for a while and and had been a fan, and I listened to that episode. I knew you already, not personally, but I knew of you. Went back and left I think a comment on social media somewhere and just said, hey, great episode, really enjoyed it. And then the CEO of Flow Research Collective reached out said, hey, it looks like you're doing a lot of this sort of work already. Why don't you come coach for us? And that led to I think my sort of official entry into formal coaching, if you will, right, and then you and I met, and I've been doing mostly that work for the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Got some intel from Full Research Collective that you're killing it over there.
Speaker 1: That's very nice. I'm happy to hear that.
Speaker 2: I've recently was talking to someone very high up over there, said he said, I said, who's your favorite coach over there? Well, I shouldn't say that publy, just off the record, off the record, appreciate it. I asked them who their favorite coach was, and they sent you.
Speaker 1: Okay, awesome. Well, we have a slate of tremendous coaches, you know. But I'm glad to hear that. I feel like it's a good fit and I hope I add value not only to that organization but to the people who come through it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. Look, there are so many mutual areas of overlap of interest between us, it makes it a bit overwhelming in order to think where does one begin in our discussion. Well, one could start with the coaching more broadly, education more specifically. I would really love to combine these two things because it's something that's just been on my heart lately. Is this idea of I would love to be able to train teachers to be self actualization coaches, you know, And I know that's an idea that really resonated with you too. What do you think are some of the mean sort of principles or things you've learned from your coaching experience you think we can apply in schools to help bring in the best in students. I think that'd be a good way to kind of start kickoff our discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you want to do this and sort of in levels, and like you said, we have a lot of areas I think mutual interest and probably mutual agreement to a certain extent as well. The idea that there should be a universal approach is not just problematic but actually harmful in many cases. But when I'm working with a client, a student, whoever it might be, the educational term is differentiation, and I think you have a very personal experience with this as well, given your time as a kid in school and going through the system, to be able to look at each young person or adult for who they are, what their situation is, what their context is, and then start to work and develop a plan from there. Now, the tricky part there, of course, is plan for what. There's a larger systemic question involved in that, right, but it starts with I think having the time and the space to be able to get to know each person you're working with on a deeper one to one level, which typically is not the case in a lot of classrooms these days.
Speaker 2: So do you think personalized attention is a key part of what's so valuable about the coaching process? Is that what I'm hearing from what you're saying? Percent so cool? Cool, Yeah, there is something really special there. I No, You're right, and I think we should, as Angel Duckler says, let's double click on that. I think that to be able to feel as though you matter, you know that your individual existence matters in an education environment would be huge. And I think that coaching and being that one and one attention signals that in a way. Right, do you see that need for mattering as playing a big role in the work you do?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent? Yeah. I mean it makes me think of your book right in these different ways to access meaning. And I'd be really interested in having a deep conversation with developmental psychologists on this, because if we're just talking about young people. So we had an interview with Waters a couple of months ago. Yeah, I know, you know Lee. We both love Lee. She's terrific, and we were talking to her a bit about her Visible well Being program and the different sort of components of it, and myself and my co host for our podcast kind of pressed her a little bit on the purpose and meaning question, said where is it? Where is it in your framework? Where is it in your model? And she made the argument that in their very large scale studies you often don't see that need or at least have meaning and purpose come to sort of the top of the list for people at that age. On some level, that makes sense, And I think it actually is a good pushback against what I just said about personalized attention, because I don't want personalized attention to sound like everyone should just do whatever they want, because we need to learn to live in community and groups and ecosystems and all those sorts of things. So on the one hand, you know, I'm taking that very good research from somebody I deeply respect, right, and at the same time looking at the if you will, anekdata right, this term I keep hearing getting thrown around all people want to matter, But it seems to me that young people especially are really driven to find someone or something that gives them that sense of mattering. It might not be purpose, but at some level of probably you know the boat, you know, self esteem, connection, relationships, I matter to someone or something right, So I think there's it's not really an either or. I think there's room for a both and and yeah, one hundred percent young people are looking for that, And I think that's that is the crux of what we're getting into in the world of education is I think a lot of young people feel like they matter to the extent that they can get the grades, get the test scores, get into the schools, and go get the job.
Speaker 2: Right, And yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Well, no, like the system primarily is designed for that. Well, what about the hundreds of thousands of kids right year after year for whom that path and that trajectory and that skill set right propensity doesn't fit. How do we help them matter right? How do we find ways and channels to kind of pull that out of them, to help them become more aware of that and then execute it on a way that creates that sense of mattering for themselves rather than having it kind of just be up to what the system dictates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, well that's a good question.
Speaker 1: How do we.
Speaker 2: How do we I am so excited to announce that registrations are now open for our self actualization coaching intensive. While the coaching industry has taken great strides over the years toward integrating more evidence based coaching approaches, there are still a lot of work to be done. Many coach training programs still lack strong foundations in science and do little to incorporate research informed tools, methodologies, or approaches for helping clients thrive. For twenty years, I've dedicated my career to rigorously testing ways to unlock creativity, intelligence, and our potential as human beings. Now, for the first time ever, I've compiled some of my greatest insights to bring the new science of self actualization to the field of professional coaching. This immersive three day learning experience will introduce you to self actualization coaching, an approach intended to enhance your coaching practice by offering you evidence based tools and insights from my research that will equip you to more effectively help your clients unlock their unique potential. Self Actualization coaching is a whole person approach to coaching that aims to help the client find their most alive and creative center of being, connect deeply with themselves, and become who they truly want to become. Grounded in the foundational principles of humanistic psychology, self acttionalization. Coaching also draws from the latest psychological science, including the fields of positive psychology, coaching, psychology, developmental psychology, personality psychology, neuroscience, and the science of creativity. Don't miss out on this unique opportunity. Join us and take your coaching practice to the next level. Register today and get twenty percent off. Don't miss out on this very special event. Go to sacoaching dot o RG that's s A coaching dot org and get twenty percent off today. I look forward to welcoming you in December. Its long occurred to me that we need to do something different about how we handle troublemakers, you know. That's something that occurred to me as you were talking, and not just help the ones who are already succeeding, succeed more, you know. But we do a terrible job handling the troublemakers, don't we, And we completely neglect the fact that they may have a lot of creative potential, and because you know, they're they're defiant, or let's say they're rebellious. Elliousness is not necessarily a bad characteristic right, if integrated and harnessed in a good way. So it's so, what role do you see in coaching young kids the idea of being able to kind of see a force spectrum of who they could be than just their bad behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question, thanks Nick. Well, and those are my favorite, to be honest, I mean, throughout my career as an educator, it was I often would request the quote unquote troublemakers, like the difficult ones to deal with, so to speak, for exactly that reason. Like, it's, in my opinion, not all that difficult to just get a let's say, naturally academically intelligent person to do well right, to just learn and take the test and jump through the hoops and those sorts of things. But the ones who don't fit that mold and who really need somebody to lean on, those are the fun ones to work with me. I mean, they're all fun to work with, but those are kind of the special cases. How do you go about doing that in a coaching situation? I think again, it comes back to personalization. It's a lot of one on one time or small group time. It's helping them see their strengths and their talents, right, not only those things, but certainly those things and having a strengths focus to combat in experience in a system that often makes them feel like they're mostly made up of weaknesses. Right. I mean that's a really hard thing for anyone to sustain and navigate, let alone a person who's twelve, fifteen, seventeen, those sorts of things helping them to really reflect on and clarify and think about what they want, you know, I'm going to say out of life. That's a big question for a teenager, but at least getting them like, okay, so maybe school isn't your thing right right now, maybe a particular trajectory isn't your thing. That's okay, Like you should give permission to yourself for that to be okay, But that doesn't mean do nothing, Right, who are you going to be? Or what do you want to be? Or what do you want to do instead of those things? And then once we can start to zero in on that, we can come back to what I said earlier, which is start to develop a plant. Right, Okay, if this is the destination, what's the trajectory right? What's the path right? And that's not always super clear, but at least it's a starting point for a young person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. This notion of flourishing is it crops up? It pops up a lot in your work. So what is flourishing? First of all, how do you conceptualize it? And then I want to Yeah, I just want to think through like what would it mean for students to flourish in an education context?
Speaker 1: Yeah? To me, it's really kind of a synergistic combination of well being, which itself, it can be a complicated concept scientifically, right, but I'm just going to use it very generally. Sure, more often than not feeling pretty good. That doesn't mean constantly, it doesn't mean a lack of so called negative emotion or what you and I would probably call unpleasant emotion. So it's a synergistic combination of well being and whether you want to call it high performance, optimal performance, optimal functioning. I like Carol Riff's language around environmental mastery right too. Yeah, you know, just developing these competencies that give you a sense of self esteem, self concept, self efficacy, and allow you to, I think, start to access that word we mentioned earlier, which is mattering. Right. What's at the core of mattering? Well, I need to have an entity that I matter too, right, but why might I matter to them? I don't mean to be overly crass about it, but you serve some sort of utility, right That might be love, affection, companionship, but it might be a skill set, right, sort of a quote unquot traditionally hard skill set, so to speak. Right. So in an educational context, that's where I think you get back into that balance of the individual and the community. It's one thing to know who you are and know what your strengths are, and know what you're motivated by, what you're passionate about, and what you want to do. But if that doesn't have a context, an ecosystem, a community to exist in, you're not necessarily going to get the pleasant emotion that's associated with it. Right. So I think it's really this kind of nice combination of me and we, right, these me needs and these we needs and finding ways for those to fit together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that you bring that in. I'm a really big fan of Isaac Prolotinsky's research, and he's one of the ones in the positis ecology world who really is trying to think through how these things combined to influence our sense of our need to matter, our influence or sense of or are mattering? Yeah, No, I love that you do that, me and the we yesh. It's not all about helping students self actualize independent of their environment, right, yeah, yeah, right? Can you even self actualize independent of your environment? Is that even possible? Yeah? Is that possible?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna ask that, right, Like I clok people all the time, you can't. You know. My opinion is, you don't flourish in a vacuum, right, Like you can look at simple things, whether it's emotional contagion, pygmalion effect. Right, we're starting to understand this more and more on a biological level as well. But obviously our surroundings matter, our relationships matter, right, So to suggest that we're just doing this in complete isolation seems to me to be a bit of a denial of reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to even push that metaphor a little bit further, all you do in a vacuum is collec dust.
Speaker 1: There you go, love it.
Speaker 2: So no one never takes nover, No one ever takes that metaphor like a little bit further, you know, Yeah, I'll be the one to do that. You don't flourish in a vacuum, You just collec dust. Okay, yeah, okay, this is this is my sense of humor. Okay, so what are some of your greatest words that come from teaching? You know, why make this, uh this part of your life's mission?
Speaker 1: Mattering?
Speaker 2: Really so we really have kind of hint yeah, you know, coincidentally on some of the core things for you.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, like, I don't I don't know anyone in the educational space who has said, like, yeah, I got in it for the money or you know, the stress, or candidly, and I want to be very clear here when we talk about you know, we and what people are doing and what's happening in classrooms, I don't I don't want to put that on teachers because I think teachers have candidly some really unrealistic expectations. In a lot of cases, they have a ton on their plates and a lot of stuff overflows off of that plate as a consequence. When it comes to good educators, the best educators and the type of educator that I have always wanted to be and to a certain extent, continue to want to be even though I'm working with some other populations. Now it comes down to contributing having an impact. Now, that could be directly to a young person, or it could be more indirectly to the young person who then is going to go out in impact society or their family, or their community or whatever it might be, whatever nested level you know, you want to think about. Ultimately, I think that's why you're interested in this too. Like, I still believe that education is the way to transform an entire society. I don't think we're doing that at this moment, but I still believe in the system. And so when I was oh jeez, it must have been sixth grade, I was probably about twelve years old. I distinctly remember taking my sister. I have two younger sisters. Took the youngest one out into the driveway. She had a soccer game that day, and I remember helping her with a couple of things, and she went out to the game later that day, had a great game, you know, big mile on her face, like really took it to this boy that was, you know, twice her size, that sort of thing. And I remember thinking, oh, I did that right, Like, not not terribly humbly and certainly naively, but I remember thinking, well, the correlation is I worked with her. She went out and had this great game. She happy about it. That makes me feel good? Yeah, right, And so that feeling I grabbed onto and then it was a three years later. I did a like a day at work sort of thing through my high school with my uncles. An incredible guy, and he was an athletic director at the time. And I remember leaving a school where I had a bunch of great relationships with my teachers, awesome teachers, you know, but just actually better people, people who looked out for me and felt kind of like friends, right, and going to work with my uncle and seeing him on the other side of that same relationships, right, but he was on the adult side, and I had that same feeling. It's like, oh, I want more of that. That's the way to get that same feeling I had with my sister time and time and time again. So what do I want to do. I want to go into education. Right. So when you ask about meaning mattering purpose, ultimately it boils down to trying to work with someone more often than not, young people who need a little bit of help, support, guidance, a friend, whatever it might. It's just adding value. It's just impacting them positively so that they can go be a better version of themselves and ideally impact other people positively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're a good person.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that, but not everyone's motivated to do that. I am fortunate enough to have those experiences early on and have them supported by family and friends who I think. You know, a lot of educators believe in education and believe in the potential of education. So I got like, you know, it doesn't happen in a vacuum. I got lucky.
Speaker 2: I love that. I said, you're a good person. You're like, I don't know about that. You ask I love that you that you responded, You're like, I wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 2: No, I mean it's it's a well, it's a beautiful pro social motivation. I mean, not everyone has pro social motivations. So yeah, there's like an under Yeah, correct, you gotta at least give give that to yourself. So there is this field that's that's popped up in in the past couple of years. They're calling themselves the field of positive education. I was wondering, how involved are you in that field? Do you go to the conferences, do you know the main players in that field, and then what is the current state of the field, because I can't say I've kept up too much with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the background here is that I mentioned that story about meeting Tall Tall then Shahar, right, and after that visit to my former school in Los Angeles, the school kind of said, Hey, we want to do more of this. This sounds great. Why wouldn't we focus on well being in the good life for our young people? Right, And there's so much potential to be had here. And then I was kind of sitting here mid dissertation saying, Okay, cool, let me run with it. I've been at that school about a decade. I think had some credibility and respect and cloud enough to kind of push that thing forward. And so I within a year or so became kind of the director of that program. That opened me up to the world of, for lack of a better phrase, although we'll talk about this and maybe in a couple of minutes, positive education. And we started offering student electives, which quickly became intensely popular, probably a variety of reasons for that, and then eventually started teaching the parents and the alumni who were really interested in it as well. That got us to a point where where I was starting to ask questions more so about the ecosystem around us. So, for instance, you know, kid comes into the elective and we talk about something like grit cause you mentioned Angela or you know, Carol stuff, or on growth and fixed mindset. But then they go home and they get a completely different message, or they go to the next teacher and they get a completely different message, right, And it felt this might not be a bad thing, but it felt a little like Sisyphis and you know, hey, are we really going to get to the top of this hill like I'd really like to? Right, which remember was the whole reason I went into my PhD program in the first place. Yeah, how do we get the best out of our young people? Right? And it quickly became apparent to me that that had to be an ecosystemic question on some level. So that led me to get connected with different organizations like IPEN, the International Positive Education Network. They wanted to get in with our school. We had a variety of different plans, and suffice to say, at some point early on in the pandemic, we went through some transitions and it became clear to me that part of the ecosystemic question has to involve my colleagues, and it became clear that colleague well being might not be of the utmost priority. And to be candidly, Scott, I didn't want to be the jackass walking around talking about positive psyche and well being with a bunch of people who are miserable. That was of no interest to me. Right So, fortuitously, within the same week of sort of having that insight or at least judgment, I connected with my co director of Human Flourishing at the Shipley School, right which is right down the road from where you're from. And I had reached out to her. Name's doctor Sharon Russell. Shout out to Sharon, She's awesome. I had reached out to her her because we were seeking essentially a counselor a counseling position at the school in Los Angeles, and she responded to me and said, well, we're seeking an associate director of positive education, which is what it was called at the time. And so I called her the next day and said, hey, how about me. We knew each other a little bit already. She was a little surprised that I was considering moving, but I knew Shipley I knew its reputation, and it's the long way of answering the question what we're going to get there?
Speaker 2: It's okay, take your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So my wife and I picked up moved to Philadelphia because the Shipley School, where I now still do consulting and in that co director position, this is a school where a lot of notable psychologists I'll leave names out just for privacy, but people that a lot of people would know they send their kids to Shipley because of the emphasis. You can call it pause, psyche, you can call it human flourishing, well being, whatever it might be. But I think we at Shipley are at least a firing to do things a bit differently, and so coming from my school in Los Angeles, I thought this would be a really great opportunity to get even more embedded in this field. Right. So to answer your question, Yes, through my work in LA, through my work with the Shipley School, I've had the opportunity to kind of collaborate with or be in meetings with the likes of Angela and Marty Seligman and others who are really really big names in that field, as well as attend some of these conferences get exposed to some of these other leaders like Lee Waters and others, and so to a say yeah to a certain extent embedded in it and at the same time critical of it. I don't mean to be overly derogatory about it, Yeah, somewhat. I mean, here's why I keep changing language. I'll give you another side note. So, a friend of yours who I told you I met in LA because we had her out for talk, Sonya Leer Burmirski. She came and gave a talk at my school in Los Angeles, and we talked a little bit about the name positive psychology. I haven't met a person that's a big fan of it, that title, right, and a lot of the reason why you know, we had Todd cash in on our podcast. I know, you know Todd is the shadow side, right, the upside of your dark side, the way unpleasant or so called. You know, negative emotions are actually associated with like different markers of psychological health and well being and keep us safe and keep us motivated and these sorts of things. Oftentimes it gets confused with toxic positivity. Oftentimes it gets criticized, somewhat fairly so for being a little too individualistic, right, and not having enough of a community focus, and so pretty quickly into my tenure at Shipley, Sharon and I started talking about whether positive psychology or positive of education was really the term that we were going for, not only because we had some concerns about it, but I mean to be crass from a marketing perspective, that sounds a little hand wavy as well, right when you're trying to essentially recruit families. So you know, there's been an evolution from sort of you know, the kids in front of me are not all becoming their best selves? To oh, is it a motivation question? Is it a flow question? Is it a well being question? Is it a purpose question? To well, it's all of that. How do we help them like collect this recipe so to speak, right, which you've done really nicely in transcend and then start reorganizing and rethinking systems to make sure that that can happen.
Speaker 2: I love that, and I love that you said systems, Peggy Kern and Australia is doing great work on applying a systems way of thinking to education. You talked about the label. It's a shame when the when a label can detract or get in a way of what we're trying to change, you know, fundamentally, it's just a distraction. It's not We don't want to harp on on an un label in any way, you know, I don't want to. I don't want to label a student, right, But I've referred to it sort of my mission, and I want to see what you think of this label. And you can be honest with me. You can shatter my dreams too if you want. But but I'd like to call it toward a human centered education system. And I was wondering what your thoughts on that. I was even thinking about me. We wring a book about that, and we've talked about this before.
Speaker 1: We have talked about this. I love it. You know. When you came on to our podcast, we had a great, I think conversation. I wouldn't go so far as calling it at debate, but we were kind of using different language. Are we talking about flourishing? Are we talking about self actualization? Right? You can bring bring in different forms of well being and life satisfaction. So this is not going to sound super science y coming from an academic, but I think we're mostly talking about the same stuff, right, I think I actually recently you had a tweet or an IG post or something where you more or less said something along those lines. We're mostly talking about the same stuff, and that stuff is what most human beings really need, I mean truly need. Right, So when you say the phrase human centered education, I completely jive with that, and that's what I would like to see. I do not think that's anywhere close to what we currently have.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, But I do want to give Shipley some credit, and you some credit, because you're moving in the in the right direction. I think, you know, Can you tell me a little bit more how the Shipley School is attempting to help to lead a charge into into whatever we want to call it.
Speaker 1: Sure, how's it? How's it?
Speaker 2: How's it moving in a direction we want it? We want education to be moving in, I guess, is my question?
Speaker 1: Sure? Yeah, well again, I mean it's aspirational, right. Shipley has to exist in this ecosystem as well, so there's certain challenges that come with that into existing as an independent school. I will just you know, respectfully, push back and correct. It has very little to do with me, and I think we talked about this when you came onto our show. Honestly, my co director, Sharon deserves the overwhelming credit for moving a lot of these things forward. So Sharon is traditionally a counselor by trade right and comes with that sort of background, which is why I think she and I make a good team, and always felt like we'd make a good team because I was coming from the educator pause psych background, right, so there was a nice sort of I think, complementary skill set there. So Sharon has been at Shipley I can't even remember now, at least a couple of decades, with one stint away in between. But when she came back, she really started to push forward what at that point I think was commonly referred to as social emotional or socio emotional learning, and that led to the development of our curriculum that's known as Seed Seed Social Emotional and Ethical Development. So at Shipley, every student takes Seed classes I believe K through twelve every year as one of their It's called a quote unquote minor, which is essentially it's not an elective because they can't opt in or out right, but it's not it's not graded. Let's put it that way, okay, So that gives any Shipley student the opportunity to at least start to get exposed to some of these ideas and concepts and exercises and principles in a way that we hope gives them different capacities as they move on to that next stage in life. Right Now, again that's aspirational. My role in that is really to primarily focus on our adult population alongside that. So some of it is exactly what you said. Primarily, what I do for Shipley now is work with the teaching population to help them understand where there are organic opportunities to include concepts like flow, emotional agility, gratitude, mindfulness, right, any sort of the different tools and subcomponents you might think of as being highly associated with our field, where the opportunities for them to organically embed those into a classroom experience or out of classroom experience as well, right, because they're teachers primarily in classroom experience. Because many teachers are looking at the situation and saying, so I need to teach my core curriculum and all the skills associated with it. Now I need to teach well being stuff. And by the way, and this is something Shipley's deeply committed to, but I need to be thinking about concerns of Dee and I as well, and you can see how quickly a teachers play will start to overflow. Right. That I need to do at this point with Shipley and others is try to help them comprehend quickly and apply efficiently, right, because there's just not a lot of space for teachers to do more.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree. And then related to that question is the question you probably get all the time, which is what's the balance or tension between school spending time on traditional academic skills and school's focusing and developing human potential? Because what if teachers focus so much on the students' happiness and self actualization and all that fun stuff and then they bomb and tank their standardized tests, Well, the school system is not going to be happy with that, right school administrators.
Speaker 1: So I think there's a couple of things here, and it's a great question. I think you and I chatted about it a little bit over lunch in LA back in April, but yeah, we I'm not going to purport to have the answers. What I will say is it goes back to one of my original comments about not having universal approaches and standards for a wildly diverse population, not just nationally, right, but even within states, even with in communities. Right. So, for instance, I have student taught and worked in schools that are really at the bottom of the socioeconomic spectrum, and I've spent most of my career working at schools that are at the top. Now, in both circumstances, I would argue, neither group, neither population of students, is particularly happy or satisfied. I go back to the twenty was it twenty fifteen study Mark Brackett mentions this in Permission to Feel That noted. I think seventy five percent of the words that students use to describe their school experience are negative. Right. It suggests something about unpleasant emotion, which is telling us something. It's telling us something, right. The more interesting question is why. And in some cases you have communities and environments in which teachers are they're just trying to keep their head above water, right, They're trying. They're getting students who are years behind in reading levels. They're getting students who have really no emotional awareness or self regulation, no math skills, science skills, writing skills, you know, whatever it might be. And so I'm very hesitant to say that we should ignore those things because there is a practical utility to them, and I and you want to live in a country with an educated populace. Right. For years I taught a sociology class. My bachelor's degree is in history, so critical thinking and research and being able to analyze whether information is true, untrue, fact check, those sorts of things are important skills. At the same time, my years working in sort of the top end of the socioeconomic ladder. Right when it comes to schools, a lot of those students are dissatisfied, unhappy, even in part because that's all they're hearing, and that's all they're getting, Right, Take these classes, get the these grades and these test scores to get into these schools. One of the schools I worked at, sixty percent of the population went to about twenty five different schools. Wow, right, that's it. Now, fine, those schools might be great, and they might have a great experience. But the narrative there is that there's really kind of one path or one trajectory in this case, to success. But the implicit message there is to the good life, right, Like why do we want success? Well because we think it's going to lead to a good life. We're going to be satisfied, happy, whatever it might be. And so what you get into is this kind of vicious cycle of like, well, do the thing to be prepared for the next thing, and then do that thing to be prepared for the next thing. And I didn't see a ton of investment into who the individual was, making sure they can explore their interests and their curiosities, right, like it was. So I mentioned the elect have I taught. Probably about half of the school took that from year to year, but the other half that didn't, Right, they basically could not once they became juniors or seniors because their perception was I got to do the honors track, I got to do the ap track. I got to do stuff that gives me a five point grading scale, and positive psychology does not. So even though it might be great for me, it might help my well being, my motivation, my sense of self, whatever it might be, I cannot risk not getting the test score or not getting the grade that's going to get me into this school and supposedly unlock the rest of my future. Right. So culture, it's a culture, right, And that's why I keep saying system and the culture and the larger ecosystem because both ends of the spectrum are dealing with really different pressures and different challenges. But in both cases it's leading to a lot of underwhelm, unhappiness, apathy, a motivation. You know, you can go on and on. It's sad, It's terribly sad.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm upset right now.
Speaker 1: It's brutal, just gott. I mean to be very transparent with you. This is part of why I've moved in different directions in terms of coaching and consulting and then launching this program for young athletes, because I'm now starting to find ways where i can work outside the system right or around the like, how do you get this to young people in ways that are a little bit more organic, in environments where they actually want it and they crave it, rather than just trying to jam it into an over an already over crowded system that has different values and different priorities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so look, I'm glad that you're highlighting that a big part of the problem is the system and the culture. So I'm really glad you brought that up. Have you drawn on any of my work? I say that with a little bit shyly, but has any of my own ideas about education and the culture and how we are human potential need to think about differently. Has it brought to your work at all?
Speaker 1: Oh, one hundred percent. So I don't know if you and I ever talked about this, but like when I moved to Philly, So this was like two or three months before you and I met, that's when I read Transcend, and I already knew about you through a variety of different things, probably some of those those pause ed conferences back when you were at Penn and still doing some of that work. I know you're still doing some of that work, but you're a little more embedded I think in that world at that point. Yeah. And so like when we first met, like I had, I pretty much had a fanboy a moment. Oh shit, Scott Barry Kaufman right in the same virtual room as me. Right. So I had been aware of your work. I had always really enjoyed your work, and at the same time, your book on creativity, Wired to Create and Ungifted were tremendous for me in a variety of ways, but Transcend really took it home. That was where, especially as an academic in some ways which I sort of fashioned myself to be. There was so much good science, so many good references and citations and talking about trajectories and different nuances because you're a nuanced guy. So we actually, I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but at Shipley, when we started moving beyond this idea of just positive psychology, you mentioned Peggy Kern. We started we had been using the perma model for flourishing, right, which has a bunch of really wonderful things about it, and there's plenty of people who would maybe push back against it. Right. The Human Flourishing Program at Harvard, who sponsors our podcast, has a different model. We mentioned Carol Riff, different model. You would not call your sailboat metaphor a metaphor for flourishing, but it speaks to a lot of the same things and it's a different model at the same time. Right, So I mentioned Sharon. This is a credit to her what she did. It was started taking some of these different models, putting them side by side, and then we kind of said, all right, where's the synthesis, Like, where can we pretty confidently say these are the things that matter to most people across the lifespan? And then how do we start to really deeply embed them not just in classrooms, but in the ecosystem of a school or a community that includes the parent group and includes alumni more holistically. So it's a long way of saying, yeah, your work is literally edited in the work that we do together.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just really am passionate about getting the word out about all these human needs that are being unaddressed in the education system. So I can't help. But when I talk to educators, but be like, you know, have you considered like the need for exploration? You know, where's that? Where's that in the school system? Where's the need for love?
Speaker 1: Yep? Hundred percent. So we just had an episode. So I've mentioned a couple of times we have this podcast for ASHFM. You were nice enough to be a guest on it. So today we had we released an episode with a professor at San Francisco excuse me, Calsay State San fran who is runs founded in Ronse school in East Oakland called the Roses and Concrete School, and the whole premise, especially in East Oakland, is trying to focus on the material core human needs of young people in an environment where those things are often not present or at least insecure, right. Yeah. Well, it's a focus on well being from the foundation up. So it's interesting that we're talking about this because I think more and more schools are starting to figure out we got to do it differently. We got to focus on exactly the sort of stuff you and I are talking about here.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that's awesome, that's awesome. Tell me more about this podcast that you co host with doctor John Beal and what does the FM mean? Is there a significance to that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question. So what happened was we approached so John and I and my colleague doctor John Beale, who's traditionally a philosopher but really focuses on human flourishing and also works in schools. He approached me and said, hey, what do you think about starting this podcast and approaching the folks at the Human Flourishing Program at Harvard in the Department of Education at Oxford and Shipley to support us and sponsor us. And the whole premise is deep diving into the science of human flourishing. I say the as if it's this like tight boundary and kind of settled category, but we treated I think rather broadly it could be a traditional kind of positive psychologist, somebody like Lee Waters, but it was somebody like yourself, right, who focuses on self actualization humanistic psychology. We have already had educators, we've had philosophers, we've had people who write about critical thinking and technology, and it is supposed to be a deep dive into high quality hard science that helps people understand the components of flourishing life and ideally practically how to build those different components. Now, the key piece here, and I'm glad you asked about the FM is one of the things that we wanted to do and that Harvard was very much in agreement on, is to get this outside of the podcast space, to get it into other countries, other parts of the world that very often do not have access to these teachings, learnings, these podcasts, but they do have access to radio, right, And so that FM is aspirational and a reminder that eventually, if we're fortunate enough to grow this thing and really develop it, then eventually what we'd like to do is to get it into some of these parts of the world on radio so that it's more accessible for more people. And that that's a companied by I think an emphasis on having a diverse set of guests, different cultural influences, maybe different spiritual influences, and really trying to make sure that we represent this in a holistic, diverse way, because you know, let's speak candid about it, John and I are a couple of thirty something white dudes from the US like trying to share this, and so we really are intentional about bringing in guests who will bring some of those diverse perspectives as long as there's still research based.
Speaker 2: I love that, yo, yo yo. I am so proud of what you guys are doing over there.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so important and so necessary.
Speaker 1: That means a lot coming from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it. I mean it, And it wasn or being on your show. Let me ask you kind of a last question here, because you're interested in working on ways to help for help bring forsting young people, not just inside the classroom, but if I understand correctly, you're also trying to help them with to force outside of the classroom. It doesn't all just matter inside the classroom, right, Yeah. Can you talk a little bit about that, And I think that'd be a nice way to kind of end this conversation today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, So what I'm working on at this moment is I guess you could almost kind of call it a bit of a Trojan horse. Not the perfect analogy, but I think part of what I've seen and the trouble you run into is when you try to incorporate these things into classrooms, you run into a few different problems. Number one I mentioned earlier. If you're doing it with other teachers or asking other teachers to do it, they don't have the time, the space, the understanding. Often they don't have the skill set. Number two. So then if you offer it as its own course, if it's not rated, the sad reality is it gets deprioritized by the students. Right. The next level is if it is then required. I mean you've been around enough teenagers, right like that drive for autonomy at that age, Anything they are forced to do, more often than not, becomes the enemy, right rationally or irrationally, it becomes the enemy. So when I say Trojan Horace, what we're trying to do right now is get people the material through avenues and fields that they're already interested in or hooked on. And so what that means for me traditionally, is athletics. So I've partnered with I think you met him once or twice, a former colleague of mine, doctor Adam Wright, who's the director of mental Performance for the Washington Nationals and a tremendous coach, a lot of clinical background, right, amazing psychologists in a variety of ways. And then I'm bringing in a lot of the educational piece and we're working hard. Right now, I'm working with a Division one soccer program here in Michigan where I'm currently sitting and trying to figure out how we can create reasonably priced, right concise, effective programming, so asynchronous learning, along with maybe group coaching, individual coaching, to ultimately get this material to as many young athletes as possible. Just in the last few months, five or six, I think D one athletes committed suicide. There's over half of Division one athletes. And this is just college right, experience some sort of mental illness or just have trouble navigating the you know, kind of general ebbs and flows of life. But it's also the high school athletes, and it's also young professional athletes. I've worked with a few who, frankly, I mean, if I were to be simplistic about it. They've got all the talent in the world, but they're they're anxious, they're stress, they're in their own head, they have negative self talk, they're unhappy, all the different things that can come with it, right, So, so Adam and I are trying to combat those trends and get this material to people who are asking for it instead of getting it to people who are basically being forced into it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I love that so much. That makes the name of the game. Name of the game is to is to light the fire from within.
Speaker 1: That's right, That's right. So yeah, so we call it the Anti Fragile Athlete. People can check it out. It's really kind of drawing this distinction between being fragile, resilient anti fragile obviously a nod to the original work there, and trying to find different partners, right, different athletes that want to learn and want to get this out there. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad that we were able to get this in the can Nick Holton on the Psychology Podcast. It has been so much fun shouting with you and we have. We got to keep up this discussion how we can change the education system.
Speaker 1: I would love to. Maybe there's a part two at some point, but I just want to thank you Scott yet obviously I told the story. I've been a big fan of years for a while. I've been a huge fan of the show for a long time, so to now be on it on the other side is a real treat for me.
Speaker 2: I love it. Can't wait to get this out there.
Speaker 1: Thanks nick Yep, Thanks buddy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this episode of The Psychology Podcast. If you'd like to react in some way to something you heard, I encourage you to join in the discussion at thusycology podcast dot com. We're on our YouTube page, The Psychology Podcast. We also put up some videos of some episodes on our YouTube page as well, so you'll want to check that out. Thanks for being such a great supporter of the show, and tune in next time for more on the mind, brain, behavior, and creativity.