Speaker 1: Just raise your hand. Once you realize that you're that you know that you're talking to a complete idiot. Pasha Tosh Show us. Welcome to Toss Show. If you're proud to be Latino, stand the fuck up. Go ahead and hit me with some of that three oh five music. All right, it's a good start, you know, Eddie. I have heard through the grapevine that some people don't like the production value of our theme song. Now, I may shock a lot of you listeners out there, but we did not spend a lot of money on the music for Toss Show. But I am open to new suggestions, but not my uh traditional musicians. No, no, no, this podcast is the future of entertainment. So what better than AI to create our potential new theme song? Right okay, I I hear we've got a few candidates to audition. Let me go ahead and hear this first one here.
Speaker 2: You get ready stands?
Speaker 1: That sounds like a train wreck. I don't like that one bit.
Speaker 3: It's probably the prompt.
Speaker 1: No, no, there's too many words to listen to. All Right, we got another.
Speaker 2: One, yeah, the Barca.
Speaker 1: Lasting we want to know. Now, that's got some energy. What I worry about is people listening to this thing first thing in the morning, and they're not ready for that nickelback rage. That might be too much. We might be getting people spilling their coffee. Then we've got a lawsuit on our hand. We have any more?
Speaker 3: Here's play's play one more?
Speaker 1: All right? Let me hear another one? Welcome today.
Speaker 2: Here just every day.
Speaker 1: God, that's awful. Here's the thing. AI is not ready. I say, we stick with what we've got. That's right. Oh, man, I worry about Ai every morning. This is the first thing I do. Is AI sleeping with my wife? Is AI diddling my kids? Is what I worry about. It's just NonStop. Oh but what's AI doing? I was taking my dog for a walk that I can get my head around, that I would enjoy. Now I'm told, thanks to AI, that this podcast is now broadcast in over seven thousand languages. And I'm gonna be honest with you, I didn't know there were seven thousand languages. Let's see what Toss show sounds like in Spanish, Eddie, it's the programs. Now that podcast is no longer under the category of comedy. That one's under sexy. This is why you can't ever be convicted of a crime in this country because you just be like, I didn't do that. That was ai, Like I never said those words. I don't speak fluent, beautiful Spanish. Do you want to hear me speak Chinese? Wherever? I try to ease this, Sir Lien Eddie transorg GM Shirsanger, Oh man, what I wouldn't get to be able to speak whatever beautiful language that was? Speaking of Chinese? I just finished watching a showgun which I know is Japanese or is They like to say the Japan's but it's all under the Asian umbrella, which they like to hold. A lot of them like to use umbrellas. This is what I wanted. I'm not there's no spoilers. I'm not giving any spoilers. Well I will, but it's just just episode one that I'm going to talk about. And I understand that this is set in that I think the sixteen hundreds or something like that, medieval period, and it's a different culture, okay, But I like to just play it out as if it happened in my life today, Like how would that go over? I just liked the idea of me coming home from work. So Eddie, you can play the role of my wife for this and you just say, how was your day, honey?
Speaker 3: How is your day?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 1: Oh funny you should ask you know how I like to uh smart off sometimes at work. Well, I I spoke up when I wasn't supposed to. Anyway, We're gonna have to kill our children and I have to kill myself. Oh so yeah, all right? Well, uh, speaking of AI, today's guest a genius, a certified genius, a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles. This guy knows everything about AI. He's gonna calm my nerves hopefully, or he's going to create new worries for me at night. Also, I have to I have to mention that this was the interview that was recorded that day that Dylan had a colossal fuck cup a brain shart heard around the world. So there were some audio issues, But the irony is that Dylan figured out how to use AI to fix his blundering buffoonery. Enjoy Pasha, my guest today, is the smartest person we've had on the show, and not just because he's a foreigner with four words in his name who also happens to have facial hair and wears glasses. Please welcome our distinguished guest, AI expert in the UCLA professor. He doctor, he professor, he mister he.
Speaker 4: What do you want?
Speaker 3: It's all good, just he is fine.
Speaker 4: Thank you all right?
Speaker 3: He?
Speaker 1: Where are you from? I'm from Belgium, Belgium, Well you've been here.
Speaker 3: I moved here in twenty fifteen, citizen, not yet soon maybe next year.
Speaker 4: Are you're actually going to do it?
Speaker 3: I think I'm eligible in like a month.
Speaker 1: So congratulations, thank you welcome. Do you like America?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean it gave me a lot of opportunities, so yeah, I love it here.
Speaker 1: How often do you go back?
Speaker 3: Maybe once or twice a year. It's a long track, yeah, yeah, especially with a toddler. It's not so nice to travel for like thirteen hours.
Speaker 4: How old you're toddler?
Speaker 3: Three years old?
Speaker 1: And now are you as an academic person? Do you still? I mean, can you relate to a toddler? Do ye act silly? Are you a silly dad? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you strict? No?
Speaker 3: I'm quite silly. I would say. I don't really like to be the serious professor too much. It's not my style now.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like the reason I had children was because I wanted an excuse not to care so much about everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you cannot imagine before it happens, right, It's kind of yeah, like you cannot prepare for this, and that's only everything changes. And you know, it's also kind of interesting that you kind of you know, you see them grow and like learn things, and you're like, oh, yeah, this this is different from how AI learns. You know, you kind of get some perspective on like what is just from seeing a toddler learn how to walk and talk and you know all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, I just like, like, whatever, the world's going to shit and I'm gonna still have to, you know, build this horrible lego thing that he just brought. Do you believe in ghosts? No?
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel like you asked a friendshow the same question. Is that a usual question?
Speaker 1: That's the first question I ask everyone? Do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 4: Not at all?
Speaker 1: Move on? Do you believe in digital ghost or those death bots?
Speaker 3: What are those?
Speaker 1: Like some people that have lost someone and then they create their like this digital ghost.
Speaker 3: And it's I'm sure it's comforting. It's like watching videos and pictures from people.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's a good thing for the psyche he has a way to move on.
Speaker 3: Or No, I think it's a bit creepy. I wouldn't really enjoy it. I would rather watch a videos from ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's always sad too, just to keep replaying that video like John Wick. Uh, why did you leave Belgium, a smart country to come a good old delmbo mare?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, honestly, no one wanted to give me a job as a professor in Belgium, and I had to come here as a as an academic refugee.
Speaker 4: What is your actual job.
Speaker 3: I'm a professor of computer science at UCLA and I teach AI.
Speaker 1: You teach aim.
Speaker 4: Are you worried that your job will be taken m M?
Speaker 3: I mean the teaching part. I mean the more, the more people will help teach EI, the less kind of boring stuff I have to do, and the more interesting things I can teach that are maybe less off the shelf. So I would own mind more. AI help.
Speaker 1: How did you get into computers in the first place?
Speaker 3: I mean, I was a big nerd and still am, I guess, and I like to program, I like to play computer games, and you know, just like any other nerd that' have I started with computers?
Speaker 1: Do you still play the games?
Speaker 3: Yes you did? Yes, Yes, I wish you hadn't asked.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like like you put in real time.
Speaker 3: I have this rule where I, you know, maybe once a year I'll spend the weekend like binge playing for like and without sleep, just to kind of reset myself. And like, you know, I'm not worried too much about being a civilized person with a real job. And you know, I think everyone needs to do such something every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Though, is there a particular game that you care about?
Speaker 3: Lust? When I played was? I played Civilization six? Again, I don't know the game strategy games.
Speaker 4: I'm not a game person.
Speaker 1: And my brother, my brother is a game person and who is a computer programmer and then created a company for gaming and also for the government and then sold it. And you know he's that kid very much. Yeah, a world that you two would like to meet him, but no, he.
Speaker 4: He I was.
Speaker 1: I told him that I was interviewing and and he was like okay, So then he added did a couple things.
Speaker 4: He's like, bring it, bring this up.
Speaker 1: It seems like self driving cars got to eighty percent good really quickly, but progress is stalled with getting into one hundred percent. Will we see that with AI for programming too, like a helpful too but still need someone to steer it, or will it quickly get to the point that we don't need software engineers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think it's it's kind of a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So on the one hand, yeah, like even today, your brother is probably already using generative AI to help him program, and so that's definitely happening. Whether your brother will be completely replaced, I highly doubt it. I think there's you know.
Speaker 1: He didn't have a job now he owns.
Speaker 3: He's just doing it for fun.
Speaker 1: He doesn't like six months cells it does something else.
Speaker 3: I mean those weird if it's kind of this boilerplate stuff where it's very similar to what many people have done before and it's just like minor tweaks two things. And yes, AI is probably going to be able to do that because AI is really good at like finding similar things and kind of slightly modifying them. But if it's actually building like new software that does new things, that's going to be much harder for AI to achieve.
Speaker 1: You teach at UCLA. You think it's a bad idea that UCLA left the fact well for the Big ten?
Speaker 4: And are you aware of sports?
Speaker 3: I heard this is a big deal in the way in the real world. Yes, I heard about it. I don't know. I am sure you say it only makes good decisions like hiring me and moving to the back twelve or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Do you ever have Alonzo Ball in one of your classes?
Speaker 3: Who is that?
Speaker 1: He was a basketball player? I'm sorry, popular a few years ago.
Speaker 3: We get student athletes in class all the time, so but I don't really I don't know that.
Speaker 4: Are you told it? Hey?
Speaker 3: No, definitely not.
Speaker 1: Subtle debate for us here? Who is the father of artificial intelligence? Alan Turning or John McCarthy.
Speaker 3: So Alan Turing was he was kind of the father of computer science, and he already said like, let's build a computer that can play chess. So in that sense, during is kind of the first. But then McCarty was the one that called it AI and really kind of started the field of AI. So I think they put good credits.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I want you to know that there was no debate here.
Speaker 1: I'll pose my question to make you feel like you were among academics. But nothing could be first.
Speaker 3: I mean, your question was great except you said turning instead of touring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the giveaway.
Speaker 1: God damn it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should read these cards before.
Speaker 1: You think I didn't read it. Well, then you're extremely dumb.
Speaker 4: I stew over these things.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, when's the last time we took a hearing test?
Speaker 3: Do you think I have a problem? No?
Speaker 1: Never, Okay, No, it's like my kid just took a hear It doesn't like you just have to raise your hand and I just want you to u during this in just raise your hand once you realize that you're that you know that you're talking to a complete idiot.
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't believe in that.
Speaker 1: You don't believe.
Speaker 4: You don't believe though.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm also an idiot, you know.
Speaker 4: No, not true.
Speaker 1: What are some of the real dangers of AI because you're not a doom and gloom guy with it?
Speaker 3: No, I don't like all the scary stuff a guy is going to take over in the world and like terminator will walk into this room and all of that stuff. I think, you know, I appreciate that some people seriously studied is like as a long term problem of like how do we make AI behave the way we wanted to behave? But I think what I'm much more concerned about is like, today AI is doing pretty bad things already, and you know, if you care too much about this kind of terminator sci fi AI taking over the world, and I think you're also kind of ignoring the real dangers today.
Speaker 1: And the real dangers are just believing everything that's put out part.
Speaker 3: Of you, yeah, thinking that somehow, because AI is intelligent, it knows how to make decisions that are good for all of us. Well, these systems are full of biases, and you know, AI is constantly also being used to you know, track people, to even build kind of automated weapons. AI is being used in many ways today that are quite dangerous already, and that's what I'm more concerned about.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that does sound worrisome. Now now I'm back on the doom and gloom. I thought you maybe feel better about that.
Speaker 3: No, but I mean, there's drones flying around and you can tell them find Daniel Tosh and shoot at Daniel Tosch. This is very doable and so sorry, sorry. We can cut if.
Speaker 1: I see a which if I see a drone in my property. My instinct is to get a sling shot out, But now I think that might not be good enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should should move closer to an airport where you cannot have drones.
Speaker 1: Just closer to an airport, yea, Oh, I'd rather be shot at. How advanced is the cutting edge of this technology compared to what the public is aware of? Oh?
Speaker 3: I think the public is aware of the cutting edge. Anyone who has something new desperately wants to put out a press release, show the world make money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so there's nothing behind the scenes that's way scarier than what I mean.
Speaker 3: Some of these model stick a while to train, Like I'm sure Open the Eye is training the next GPT and it's probably impressive and they know it, but they're not ready to release it yet. But as soon as they can, I'm sure they will.
Speaker 1: Isn't the greatest sart of computer learning, not artificial intelligence, but rather human stupidity. Most people believe what they're told because nobody reads or bothers to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all it's all the magical thinking, right. People think this is magic, that it knows everything, that it can make perfect decisions for everyone. Then I think this happened before, like in the nineties, when AI started to beat world champion at chess, you could be like, okay, we're done, right, Like this is chess for in the West, for thousands of years has been the game where you prove you're intelligent, and if AI can do that, then we're done. But it turned out that after that there wasn't really all that much more that AI could do, even though this was really impressive, and so this happens over and over again. Right at some point, AI beats the world champion at a game of Go, which is much harder than chess. It's kind of the hardest board game you can play.
Speaker 1: Go is the hardest board game.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'm not an expert, but yeah, it's it's like this, it's I think you can think of it as like an East Asian kind of variant.
Speaker 1: Is enjoyables and an enjoy fun game to play.
Speaker 3: I tried. It's way too complicated for me to enjoy. So yeah, but some people really love it, and you know once you once you beat that, you're like, okay, there's no more harder game where humans are better than Ai. And then you're like, oh, maybe poker, like we're good at bluffing and reading people. AI starts to beat the world champions at poker.
Speaker 4: Too many monkeys? Do you ever play that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 1: What's a card game?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: With your daughter, you'll love it? Uh huh? Can she count to six yet?
Speaker 4: Yes, then you're in. That'sky neat.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we'll try. I'll look it up.
Speaker 1: How come AI can't come up with something where they can click on photos of bicycles or say I am not a robot.
Speaker 3: I don't think these things work anymore? Really, like AI is able to crack all of these they keep changing them all the time, just to make sure that, you know, someone who's building the eye for the previous thing has to spend some time building in the ie for the next thing. That's why they keep changing all the time. But I wouldn't really trust them.
Speaker 4: To be so that's not going to save me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you walk me through a plausible doomsday scenario where the machines take over and I'm locked out of my rivian?
Speaker 3: I mean plausible? No, I mean I'm sure your car can break down. I think your riving or your test level today already misbehave and not open its doors, has nothing to do with AI, right, These things are just not robust.
Speaker 1: That's Do you have a smart home?
Speaker 3: Not really? I have like a Google Assistant too, because my toddler keeps requesting music, so I don't really want to like kick on my phone. I just like, please play this music. So that's my only use case for AI.
Speaker 1: Really, are you into all of that tech stuff or not?
Speaker 4: Necessarily?
Speaker 3: I find most of it just makes my life harder. I mean there were ads for like Siri and these types of assistance ten years ago that claims, oh, they will plan your trips, they will do this, they will do that. In the end, they never understand what I say, maybe because I have an accent, and it's just like there's a few things I know I can ask everything else I'm just not even trying anymore.
Speaker 1: I always think of like these guys that that create these billionaires, these tech guys that create these safe bunkers or whatever, and there's so much tech in these homes. I'm like, unless the day they're finished, the doomsday happens and they move in then, but if it sits for ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they things going to work. They need some tech support in their bunker.
Speaker 1: Because I can't get my lights to turn on half the time with my crestraw on app. So I'm just I'm just loving that Mark Zuckerberg thinks his entire Hawaiian island.
Speaker 4: Is going to work.
Speaker 1: I really just want to know that ten years after I die, my kids still have it good for a few more years and then past that.
Speaker 4: I don't really care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're fine. Also, I'm like not a fortune teller, right, so, like, I think your opinion is just as valid as mine on like the future of AI.
Speaker 4: Honestly, yeah, true, no way my opinion.
Speaker 3: I mean something about what you said earlier of like you know, think of like music, right, Like you can ask an Ai to day like give me another song that sounds like Kanye right like or whatever. Like that's pretty easy actually because there's a lot of style already there and you just do something in a similar style. If you ask AI to invent jazz or rap music or something that's completely different, that's really what it struggles with, and we don't really have an idea of how to do that. So AI is really good at like more of the same. It's it's not so good as like do something fresh and so I don't know how you think about your own comedy, but if you think you're different from all the other comedians, you're probably fine.
Speaker 4: I'm not. I am not that different. Oh all right, well whatever.
Speaker 1: Do you have any creepy stories about how big data knows people better than they know themselves.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it happens all the time where people you know are outed for you know, being pregnant or you know whatever, just by you know, someone in their home with the same IP searching for something.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I think this happens all the time. Yeah, I figures things out pretty quickly. I don't know. I always see the same ads on Instagram, and they're always like something that I searched on some other websites. So I really feel like all the companies know exactly.
Speaker 1: Do you have a burner phone? No?
Speaker 3: Do you have one?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I'm not somebody that ever. I don't do things that matter like there's my wife. I'm never trying to keep anything from anyone. If somebody, if Big Brother looked in on me, they would just be like, oh, that is horribly unimpressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the problem for me is I grew up in this generation like early two thousands, the Internet was only good and by just doing more on the Internet and making everything open, we would change the world and everything would be connected and better. And then like ten years later we realized, oh, and that's not actually what's happening with the Internet. But I feel like all my information is out there already, so like, what more do I save?
Speaker 4: Just porn?
Speaker 1: All the internet did flooded us with porn.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't want to get in trouble here because one of my colleagues in my department at UCLE actually invented the Internet, so I cannot really says it's a negative thing.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, come an out, gore.
Speaker 1: Sure does it matter whether or not I accept cookies on a website?
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. You'll be tracked anyway.
Speaker 1: So I should just always say accept all.
Speaker 3: I always do you do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I like to get the other one where it's like, oh, just the selected ones that I like, go through and I start.
Speaker 3: It just makes your life harder for no good reason, So just.
Speaker 1: Accept them all and move on. Can you read the titles of your books?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: No? Please?
Speaker 3: Which ones did you find here?
Speaker 1: The introduction to lied probabilistic interference inference, well, part of the neural information processing series, and what's this?
Speaker 4: Other one was the query.
Speaker 3: Processing and on prolistic data.
Speaker 4: Yeah, does sound fine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, I'd love to recommend those to my wife's book club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you invited me to this podcast based on reading those books.
Speaker 1: There is no way I could read those books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the titles sound fancy, but those things are not even really what's the current AI? What current II is doing? The current AI is actually really simple. That the techniques that actually worked turned out to be way more boring and less like technically fancy than what we thought would be necessary to build AI. And that's also something that puzzles the community, like how how are all the simple dumb things working really well? And like all the clever things don't really work. It's very confusing.
Speaker 1: If AI is so intelligent, how come they can't figure out that I'm not trying to type duck all the time, I swear constantly. You think it would pick up on this at some point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I share your frustration. So here's the thing, right, So the AI is really impressive, Like these language molds are really good at actually giving you answers that are really clever. But then if you actually want to integrate this technology into everything, you need to like engineer a whole bunch of stuff that somehow people are not able to do in a way that I'm happy with. Either. Part of the problem is like who's going to actually build this stuff? Like an AI engineer is so expensive for these companies, and they're all just trying to build the next chatchpt to have a nice big press release about it. But to kind of do the dirty work of actually integrating all this stuff with all their services and so on, that's actually quite complicated and expensive, And you know, I think that's why we're not actually getting the functionality we want for things we use all the time.
Speaker 1: How do you think we regulate AI? Because if we're expecting these geriatric dipshits and con risks to wrap their heads around this.
Speaker 3: I mean it's complicated, right, because I think everyone's confused. I think the problem is not even them, right if you ask a lawyer who studies AI regulation, even they, I think don't really know what is going to happen here. Like AI companies are using everyone's data. They're probably like watching this video and putting it as training data into some video AI model, and the problem is that the regulation is not super clear about what is fair use of all this data, Like, obviously you have your copyright for everything you do, but then somehow companies are still using it, assuming that if they do it at a big enough scale they can somehow get away with it. And then for people like me, it seems obvious that this should not be legal in a commercial setting. But then some lawyers are like, no, this seems like fair use because it's kind of like a child learning and then making fresh content afterwards, and that is allowed. And I think someone will figure this out, but it's I don't think it's clear right now what is legal. And that's just for the copyright issue. There's also just like safety stuff, and I think something should really be banned, like you know, using AI to look at people's resumes to decide who gets hired or filtered. I think that's obviously wrong. Those tools can never really do a good job and be fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but interviews are awful. He ANDed me interview somebody. It's just it's who's the best liar performer?
Speaker 4: To my face?
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, but then what's a I gonna do. It's gonna be like, oh, hire all people named Daniel, or you know, like.
Speaker 4: Episode good start. Now I'm bored.
Speaker 3: I feel like you could do a podcast just interviewing other Daniels, Right, so.
Speaker 1: That's not a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Steal that Daniel and Daniel.
Speaker 1: There's a horrific AI generated video of Will Smith eating noodles? Does AI have a problem with Will Smith? And do you think it stems from the movie I Robot?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I've seen that video though, and it gets better every year. Right, there's like the early version which is just chaos, and recently it starts to look pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's figuring in nice learning. Did you ever look at those AI explicit photos of Taylor Swift?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Did you never?
Speaker 1: Are you worried about deep fakes all that stuff?
Speaker 3: Especially in politics? I think that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Do you think of politics in our country?
Speaker 4: You enjoyed it?
Speaker 1: Is it maddening?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was very like I moved here in twenty fifteen, right, and the world changed very quickly after that. I felt like this was kind of a bait and switch, like, yeah, come to America, it's great, and then I still love it here. I don't want to get in trouble here. Right, I love it here.
Speaker 1: Do you think America is the greatest country in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I'll say one thing positive, which is so I'm from Belgium, my wife is from Bosnia. We cannot really live anywhere where not one of us is a foreigner, right, except in California. I feel like we're both here and no one cares that we have an accent, and we really feel like we're both at home. Right. So I think that's really beautiful about California and the US more.
Speaker 1: Generally, let's just say just California.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: I brought you two into a few different markets and you'd feel very differently. Is California the only place that you've lived in the United States?
Speaker 3: Yes? In the United States?
Speaker 1: Yes? Have you visited the whole country?
Speaker 3: I mean, so the thing is in my field, like we have these conferences where everyone meets to talk about AI and it's always in some the same kind of Hilton or Sheraton or whatever hotel in some random city. So I have seen all the hotels in all the cities. I wouldn't really say that I've seen the country that much. I mean, I love to travel around California, and you know whatever, but.
Speaker 1: California is its own country. You've seen enough. Who is the most famous Belgian beside yourself?
Speaker 3: Jean Clotland, Jean Claude van Damp.
Speaker 1: Did you like him growing up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean in the nineties I was a teenager, so yeah, I loved the action movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Who's got better chocolate?
Speaker 4: The Swiss?
Speaker 3: Belgium?
Speaker 1: Of course? I mean are you sure about that?
Speaker 5: Mean?
Speaker 3: I cannot Even if I thought differently, I couldn't tell you on this podcast. Like there's certain things I'm not allowed to say.
Speaker 1: Do you miss your waffles or no?
Speaker 3: So waffles is only for tourists. Really, waffles are not a big deal in Belgium. Yeah. So chocolate is real, beer is definitely real. Waffles are mostly for you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, we appreciate it. By the way, How do you have your when you occasionally you've had a waffle, how do you have Do you have it with syrup?
Speaker 4: With cream?
Speaker 1: Fruit? Never?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 3: I never have waffles ever. I like a like a French crep, like a pancake.
Speaker 1: That's my I don't have a French crete machine. I brought you a waffle machine.
Speaker 3: I'll oh no, oh no, you were serious about getting me a waffle maker.
Speaker 1: But it's little cars and truck oh, different things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my daughter will love this, love love waffle maker.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay. Yeah, I don't know why I have that.
Speaker 3: Feels mildly offended.
Speaker 1: But you know, is that offensive to give you a wall of making No?
Speaker 3: No, no, it's okay. I actually would like one. I don't think we have one, so I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the next get I got you. I love board games and I know that you know, you played chess and stuff, so this is a but I don't like this game and I never got into it. Everybody buys me games because they're visually pretty. What is this a trio? Oh?
Speaker 4: Trio O trio.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's like a pretty game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I could put this.
Speaker 1: Uh, and it's got pretty pieces they go into it.
Speaker 3: But it's like a decorative item. This looks cool.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm just like I'm gonna play this game. It's not my game, Okay.
Speaker 4: I stick with my rummy cub. Thank you, cube? What do you call it? Cube? But I forget.
Speaker 3: Don't ask me. I don't speak your language.
Speaker 4: How many languages can you speak?
Speaker 3: Speak Dutch, French, English, a little bit of German.
Speaker 1: I was born in Germany.
Speaker 3: I actually learned. Yeah, I watched your interview with the Schiff. You were in bull Parks, you said in that song. I was actually there.
Speaker 1: We were in both part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so what happened. There was a workshop for people to discuss AI in this weird hotel castle. It's owned by the guy who invented gummy bears, harrybo gummy bears. So we were just there talking about AI and then you know, they were just gummy bears everywhere, and like everyone's getting sick, sick eating gummy bears off the table, and yeah, so that's why I was in both parts. We have a lot of get togethers in German castles in the middle of nowhere to discuss about AI.
Speaker 1: It's the thing that is the greatest thing you've ever said. He's in a German castle eating gummy bears.
Speaker 3: In Beau part with like, what are these animals that get hunted and stuffed and then put on the wall like a rhino an elephant?
Speaker 1: You ever shot a gun in your life?
Speaker 3: No, I don't really want to.
Speaker 1: I've never shot one either.
Speaker 3: No, No, I had the opportunity. I was in Vietnam and they're like, here for one dollar, shoot this machine gun.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, thank you, you served in Vietnam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: Thanks appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wasnting funny when Hollywood tried to guess the future in movies and you're like, oh, this is such a bad attempt. You can't predict and it just looks so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do they ever come calling like, hey, we're trying to figure something out.
Speaker 3: No, because I'm not like a futurist, right, Like imagining interesting future world is not really my job.
Speaker 1: What's your what's your favorite AI movie?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I knew you were going to ask it, and I don't really have one. What I really like? I really enjoyed the first season of West World, which is not a movie of course, like the TV series it so mad. I started like thinking, am I a robot? Like they really did? I watched too many episodes in a row, but like it really got to me.
Speaker 1: But it fell off the rails and the following season yeah, yeah, a little bit. I want to closure in season one. They won't ever do that with a good show. Just one season, just figured out, and.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is an American thing. In Europe everything ends after two seasons. And I'm like, okay, done, let's not ruin it.
Speaker 1: Not everything in your great British Bakoff's been going for a hundred years. Do you like that show or no?
Speaker 3: I do watch I watch all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very enjoyable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm waiting for you to give me a handshake.
Speaker 1: Oh, just reach across.
Speaker 3: I haven't earned it yet.
Speaker 4: Your your wife, you're married? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is she smart too?
Speaker 3: She's very smart. She's she's smarter than me for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, is she really smarter than you?
Speaker 4: Is that something?
Speaker 3: It's obvious we play board games. She wouldn't every single time, Like it's not even a competition.
Speaker 1: What if she's a cheater? Do you think there's a possibility.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, she would be No, no, she she's very principled. Yeah, much more than I am.
Speaker 4: Yeah, both you to take IQ tests.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what Eddie and his wife did. Eddie and I did an IQ test. Do you do you know what your IQ is? No?
Speaker 3: I never wanted to do with this.
Speaker 1: Eddie and I did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was it?
Speaker 1: Well, he was smarter than me, and that's all that I cared.
Speaker 4: About, and I was upset.
Speaker 3: Were you were you hired in one hundred?
Speaker 1: What you were? Yeah? We were in hundreds? Were you one hundred and thirty thirty one thirty one?
Speaker 3: I think you were one twenty nine and Megan was one twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Smarter than as White. That's that's that's I'll take that, notch.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember in high school, like everyone was doing these tests for being like gifted children, and so when I felt like whenever someone was like diagnosed as gifted, it kind of messed them up in a way. And I was like, yeah, I don't really need to do you like knowing everything depends not really.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you teaching now?
Speaker 4: Are you a professor?
Speaker 1: Undergrad or graduate?
Speaker 4: So both?
Speaker 3: So I teach undergraduate one court or the other courter graduate students, But most of my job is actually research.
Speaker 1: Are allowed audit classes?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course. Yeah, just to come over. You can even know the exam. I'll grade your exam for you. You don't have to pay tuition.
Speaker 4: No, I still have nightmares about that I didn't finish college.
Speaker 3: I had those for a long time. Now it's like now that I'm a professor. I'm afraid that I'm not showing up for the exam, that I'm organizing myself, like I oversleep or like it changes. But yeah, those nightmares are still.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Are kids using AI constantly to cheat in your classes?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I think it happens a lot. But because a lot of stuff I do is just matt it's kind of harder to cheat. But I think if you have to kind of write things and kind of do more creative work, I think it's much easier to cheat.
Speaker 1: Is cheating something that you care about as a professor.
Speaker 3: I mean, in the end, I only care if people learn something. If they somehow cheat and still learn something, I guess I'm fine with it. But it's just the fairness of it, that's you know. I feel like it's my job do.
Speaker 1: The old school just looking at somebody else's.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah that happens still.
Speaker 1: And still happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's good. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I just well, I was like, oh, I don't even know what I would do anymore.
Speaker 4: I'd be so scared. In college. When will you have tenure? How long?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got it four years ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Would you ever go to a different school or do you think you're gonna.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I would want to move. I really like it here. Also, living in LA I feel really lucky. If you're going to be a professor in your field, usually don't get to choose where you live, and you typically end up somewhere in the middle of nowhere or some other country. And I'm just really lucky that I'm in LA which is somehow the best place to live.
Speaker 1: During this mass exodus that they always talk about if people believing California.
Speaker 3: Do you actually know anyone who left? I feel like this is something I only read about on Twitter from people from Texas. I don't know, I've never actually seen this happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I looked at just actual numbers, and they like talk about like, oh like one hundred thousand people moved to Texas and forty thousand people from Texas moved to California. But the one thing that I enjoyed was just that highly educating people are still flooding to the state of California. So I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean also at UCLA, I think we're lucky. One of the reasons I love to work here at UCLA is because we get people from all over the world that want to come here to do research and science and engineering, and so you know, it's still kind of displeased that everyone wants to go to and that's just you know, if we get good students, that makes my life so much easier. I'm a little lazy. I don't really want to think too hard. But then if the smart students come and work with me, then makes my life very easy.
Speaker 1: The campus of UCLA has always confused me. It's a just smick dab in the middle of like of a city.
Speaker 4: It's just so weird.
Speaker 3: It's like between the Playboy mentioned and bel Air and Beverly Hills and yeah, it's like crazy.
Speaker 1: Do you have a drive around UCLA's campus.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, right, but it's just so weird. It's like, oh, I was just on Wilshire five seconds ago, and now here I am watching kids with backpacks, like have a college experience that is unlike anything else.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a campus store and show you, show you around whenever you're around.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: What's the big difference between living in Belgium and living in Los Angeles, California?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a good in the bed. So the good is that it's like everything's so convenient here. The bad thing is that in Belgium everyone's kind of equally rich and poor, so you don't really feel bad about what, you know, differences in wealth, and here it's kind of crazy and uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Well that's why you just you stay in your lane. So go to those those nights areas. That's why U see La is a bad place. Oh yeah, so close to insane.
Speaker 3: Well I moved south because I'm like this is depressing everyone so rich here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed?
Speaker 4: How far south did you go?
Speaker 3: I live right here in Marvista.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, you ever go to a Dodgers game? Never been?
Speaker 1: Do you understand baseball?
Speaker 3: Not really? But I do. I do really enjoy even if I don't understand the sport. I like the American entertainment in these stadiums, Like it's very different from Europe. In Europe you're like standing in the colt, nothing happens, but the game here it's like a big like Disneyland circus.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's just fun.
Speaker 1: I mean a Dodger game, then nothing's better than going to a Dodger game. It's just so fun, so pretty. I only and I'm one of those real real fans, like La fans, where I just go once a year and I go for like the second inning to the fifth inning. Then I just leave right in the middle.
Speaker 3: Did you ever ask you to do like the pitch the yeah? Aren't you like eligible for that as a celebrity? I feel.
Speaker 1: They have never They've never asked. One time they had given me free tickets and they revoked them because like that week I said something horrible.
Speaker 3: Oh you're a little bit too.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 1: But I would like to throw on a first pitch, man, I would put some smoke on that. Dodgers, won't you give me a ring? See if I'll throw out a first pitch?
Speaker 3: Invite me when it happens.
Speaker 4: Do I have to get like your whole family?
Speaker 3: And no?
Speaker 4: Okay, they don't care. They don't care. Well, he, I appreciate you being here again. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, take care, have very soft hands, do I?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pasha, all right, I want to thank Professor he von Denbruch for being on the show. We learned so much. And I'll be honest with you. I didn't notice any audio glitches. Good job, Dylan. Speaking of AI, I've been dabbling. I don't know if you guys watched. It was last week Game two in Boston, the Miami Heat versus the Celtics. You know how they on the on the floors now they're putting ads. Well, I hacked it. And guess what, had a little fun with the people in Boston. Only if you if you're white. It was only up for a few seconds. That's just that's just funny, right there, Paul Piers and his dirty shorts needing a wheelchair. They you know, I only had a small window to hack the system. I got in one more time, as is what I put up. Ah the catch, Oh it stings deep, Carl. You see who's here. Ava. Ava is a Now some people may remember Ava from Tosh point zero. She looks a little different. Okay, she's very old, she's got a lot of dementia. She gets very startled, very easy. No matter what you do. You're sneaking up on her, which is good when you have little kids, because they just walk up to her and smash her in the head. And she's like, what's going on? This is my life? What does it become? All Right? We got some plugs, Carl boyswearpink dot com. Check out our charitable clothing line for toddlers. I'm almost at a break even point with that company. That's an exciting milestone. The Goat. Big news about The Goat now May ninth is when it premieres. They're gonna drop three episodes at once. But now they told me on YouTube only May second, they will drop the first episode. So a week earlier than the premiere is one episode, but then a week later May ninth, on the premiere, there'll be three episodes available. So let's go ahead, and let's go Carl, let's run that back. The Goat premierees May ninth, but on May second, you can watch the first episode huh interesting, only on YouTube. Then on May ninth, you can watch the first episode again on Prime, but you can also watch the second and third episode. You know, the way television was meant to be viewed. All right, I've got some tour dates that I'd like you to go. See me at and what else my son's bedtime story. Enjoy this little bit of animation. See you next week.
Speaker 5: Once upon a Hi, dear it Twitter ammals, all you wanted to do it wide on a twin but a Twitter put that an edition. It all the boat detached and says they wanted off to play, but everyone a point, they are so so happy, and then an d and but there are too little pain. But the pigments were like the penguins was sick.
Speaker 6: That was like one of the many in what this is like one of those movies at the end where it ends the credits rule and then they have like some extra little scenes before the movie finishes.
Speaker 5: They talked to MADMT the other extra.
Speaker 6: Scenes in Top Gun Maverick, Yes, all right, then yes, like Top Don Maverick and.
Speaker 5: The Only Soviet Days Length And then they went to freepd end. Okay, they always wanted gender Red Dean