Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we welcome comparisons to Brett Farv at least on the field. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I'm in the Chris Westling podcast studio. I'm right next to Patrick Claybahn. I'm looking at the beautiful, big old mug of Nick Shook. Beautiful in Cleveland. He's smiling despite what's been a tough day for a tough weekend, rather for Cleveland sports fan. How you doing, Nick Shook?
Speaker 2: I'm good. You know I got to see all three Alcs games live in his person.
Speaker 3: Wow time.
Speaker 1: Okay, you saw some great baseball games, but this isn't about baseball, and yes, I'll get to the whole. Like Brett Farr, Jordan love comparison. It's got Greg hot that we were talking about before they.
Speaker 3: Came fired up about your tweets.
Speaker 1: But I was especially enjoying this one o'clock window on the East coast ten o'clock on the West coast. On paper, we had two of the best games I thought of the year. Would they deliver, Oh, yes they would. Let's start in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: So here we go.
Speaker 5: One place separates the Lions from first place. After all that, Donald's gonna work out of the gun. Final play of the game, barring a penalty, Donald takes the snap back looking rush Cone.
Speaker 4: Do Donald down. This game is over, Trevor.
Speaker 6: Nlwaski with the sack, George. Detroit Lions are in first place. Oh, Trevor Nulwaski. Big play, my man in a game.
Speaker 4: Full of them.
Speaker 1: Trevor Nwaski hadn't heard of that young man before Sunday, but I have heard of Dan Miller. W X why t It was a defensive play that finished off a thirty one to twenty nine victory by the Detroit Lions, A game that featured a little bit of everything. Some great rushing, some great quarterbacking, yes, some big time defensive plays, great catches by some of the best receivers in the game, and a great ending authored Patrick Claybon by Jared Goff.
Speaker 7: Jared Golf Almost did it again, Greg almost did it again. I'm looking at the stat sheet we're calling the game on Game Day Live nineteen of nineteen in the third quarter, and I'm like, when we come.
Speaker 3: Back, we'll see if Jared Goff keeps this perfect game going.
Speaker 7: You can put that on me, Lions fans, because the very next pass got tipped to the line of scrimmage and knocked out. But that's the type of day it was. The Minnesota Vikings could not get off of the field. We talk all week, especially me, I'm hyping up the Brian Flores defense because they have been an issue for everybody in the league. They blitzed on a season high fifty five point two percent of Jared Goff's drop back. Oh, that's high, all those dropbacks. He was thirteen of fifteen fo one hundred and sixty three and a touch. Wow, Jared golf laser like right now. And there were a spot for criticism towards the end of the game, Dan Campbell. There's a minute and thirteen seconds left. They are in field gold range and Dan Campbell elects to kneel it out and have the kickbe not the final play of the game because there was still gonna be fifteen seconds on the clock afterwards, but he sends Baits out there has faith in Baits, who after the game was talking about, you know, I'm looking for jobs. I'm on indeed, like I'm working at car dealerships. I know I would be here answering questions. He puts that thing in the back of the net and the Lions win. But a dicey end of game situation. But how much, Dan Campbell, could we possibly be other than having faith in Baits? Yes, and then in a Hail Mary's situation watching what the Buffalo Bills did against Aaron Rodgers and saying, no, I'm Dan Campbell, Aaron send the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's send five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was amazing by Flores. The strategy. We'll get to that in a second. And you mentioned Baits who was training to be a brick salesman. You don't just become a brick salesman. You got to build that, you know, education, brick by brick to get there. Let's listen to Dan Campbell after the game.
Speaker 8: Just a great team win, complimentary football across the board, offense, defense, special teams when we need it most, and really proud of these guys. That's a huge win on the road, tough environment first one when you don't want to say must win. But we needed that.
Speaker 3: In a bad way.
Speaker 1: Interesting wording there, you know that they needed it in a bad way. Maybe maybe he's thinking about like how that game was going. You know, they lost Aden Hutchinson though that was an emotional loss, and they were trailing in this game ten to nothing early. Then you get a twenty eight to seventeen lead entering the fourth quarter, you give up the lead, and so maybe that's how he was feeling that that would have been a really heartbreaking loss. But no goff drives him down at the end. And yet too much faith in Jake Bates there, who's been a little up and down this year. And you would have liked it to just finish the game the way their offense was playing. But you don't get criticized too much if you win. It's interesting on the other side that they were setting up for a potential long field goal and they got a penalty before that last play we just listened to from Dan Miller. It would have been a sixty eight yard field goal attempt for how do you say any name Will Riicherd. Reikert is awesome. Reikert is one of the best kickers in the league right off the bat, and they say he's got that distance to go sixty eight, that he's hit seventy. They thought seventy three was too much, so that that strategy by Campbell almost you know, came back to haunt them. Sam Darnold like just took too much time on the play before. But yeah, Nick, the thing I'll take away from this game is what Patrick of course led with because he's such a talented broadcaster, he knows to go right to the mill the nuts of it all. Just understeal, it's Goff, it's Goff out smarting Flories Goff and Ben Johnson for the third, there's eight time saying whatever you're throwing at us, it's not gonna work. The old idea of that you can blitz Goff into submission, that's not gonna work. And his numbers under pressure were really good too, because they did get plenty of pressure and he made it happen with a number of really nice throws and good decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not overlook the fact that he plays behind one of the better offensive lines in the NFL as well, And it was very clear on what I thought was his best decision of the day, the touchdown passed to Amen ros Saint Brown down the middle where he looks left, the blitz is in his face. They've sent like five or six guys and they all run into it. Just a brick wall of an offensive line. He looks left, resets, sees him down the scene, and then puts the ball perfectly on him. That's who Jared Goff is right now and when he has time to throw and when he's comfortable, and that's why we're seeing these peak results. And make no mistake, they needed every single one of those completions in this game because this was an all out war. You go from being down ten to nothing to then all of a sudden you're up fourteen to ten. Then you'll lose the lead again in the second half. You're on the road, the place is loud, they're blaring that obnoxious horn, and you need a win over your division rival to move into first place. This is I totally see why Dan Campbell said it was a win that they needed. I mean, this is a they don't need a turning point. But this was a statement win. And they came off a blowout last week. Not all of them are gonna be blowouts. This is a real test and they passed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Patrick, tell me how the Detroit defense looked, because look, the Vikings get their first touchdown after a fake punt fate fail by Minnesota and then they hit him for a quick long run by Aaron Jones, who is back for this game, who really helps out their offense, and they get another touchdown on the Ivan Pace fumble return with about six minutes to go, which really felt like it's swung the whole game. But offensively that that means they only allowed one other touchdown the Lions, like what was it when Minnesota had the ball? Like, what did you.
Speaker 3: See Minnesota was?
Speaker 7: It was a lot of Justin Jefferson had seven catches on seven targets for eighty one yards. I well, seven eight targets because that one towards the end was kind of didn't know Sam Ardi was looking for Jordan Adison or Justin Efferson who was one of those high throws from Darnold. But this defense continues to really be without and we've only seen this is the first game without Aiden Hutchinson. Wait for Brian Branch to make a play and it's almost since his very first game in the NFL where he picks off Patrick Mahomes where you've seen God's kind of running the wrong way. Carlton Davis had a punch out that got called back ultimately, but Brian Branch consistently in the right spot. Terry On Arnold didn't have a lot of those pass interference calls that he had all season. But essentially this team thirty two is the playmaker and everybody else. They played a lot of man today. It was ten point five percent higher than at this point last season. A lot of man against the Minnesota Vikings, which is tough to do. Consider Justin Jefferson has a thousand yards in his career right in just eight games against this Detroit Lions.
Speaker 1: Team, and Jamiir Gibbs pops off for a couple of long runs. He's been waiting to have some long runs this season, and he ends up going fifteen for one to sixteen and two touchdowns. But just a good football game. And now the onus is sort of on Minnesota. They lost this game, but it just sets up all these NFC North matchups at the top of this division are going to be so good. I was gonna say the Vikings are now going to have to win in Detroit, and like, maybe that's true, but Green Bay's in this race, and uh, Chicago's in this race, Like who knows what are gonna be the big games at the end of the season. Let's move on to the Super Bowl. Rematch that happened in Santa Clara. Take it away, Mitch Holts fourteen.
Speaker 9: Seventeen to go in the game Kansas City fourteen, San Francisco twelve, fourth down, less than a yard for a touchdown. Mahomes takes the snap and wants to throw it. He'll step up into the pocket. Tag on the play comes is into the end zone. Touchdown, Chansas City. Patrick Mahomes get this one, his first rushing touchdown since Christmas Eve of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Patrick Mahomes trucks Malik Mustafa on the goal line and then he stares at him. I think he was staring at him because Mustafa wouldn't let go of his leg. I think he was just absolutely stunned that he was put on highlight reels for at least the rest of the week. You know that's gonna be on angry runs, maybe for the rest of Mahomes' career, because there aren't many plays where Patrick Mahomes runs over one of the toughest players in the NFL. That was Mitch holtus As I said, WDAF, the Chiefs take care of business twenty eight to eighteen. As the weeks where on and now I put them second in the show because they're the only undefeated team left. Vikings have that loss, it doesn't even matter, Like if you have a bad game out of Patrick Mahomes with a couple interceptions, you can win in so many different ways. And the Chiefs get better and better every week. And that's sort of my biggest takeaway Nick that like, yeah, the passing game is going to have some issues, but you can't look at this team now in week seven and not say, man, they look like a better team than they were in week two in week three, so to me, they're no longer winning ugly. They were just winning playing good football. And yeah, you got to fix the turnover problem, but to me it feels a little fluky in terms of Mahomes's interceptions. They got the job done today.
Speaker 2: I mean, it depends on how you define ugly, because those who like defensive battles say it's beautiful. Those who like offensive showdowns will say this one was ugly. It wasn't the prettiest, but it speaks to where the Chiefs are right now. We've been down this road before. We were here last season doubting the Chiefs down the stretch. They don't have enough weapons, they're not putting it together. They go on a hot streak, they win the Super Bowl. They're getting hot earlier than they did last year. They're so hot they're still undefeated. But it's the fact that they can win a game where Mahomes throws two picks because their defense is so good. They forced three picks on brock Purty and have the entire forty nine offense in hell. And that's the sign of a complete team. At the team that's obviously won two straight Super Bowls. They know how to get it done, even on the road, and they come in there when their quarterbacks not having the best day, but he still contributes by trucking somebody on the goal line. You get three and a half yards of carry, which isn't great out of Kareem Hunt, but it's enough to steady them. He scores two touchdowns and you walk away with an emphatic victory that statistically doesn't look great, but it doesn't matter because you keep stacking those wins.
Speaker 1: Right, It's a game where there's five interceptions no touchdowns by brock perty and Patrick Mahomes, And it was a reminder for what I saw when I did a Super Bowl rewatch. At some point it was in training camp, and there was a reminder that that was like a very defensive game. I mean, yeah, the forty nine Ers defense played more than well enough to win the Super Bowl, and the Chiefs defense obviously did too, and then both quarterbacks had really heroic moments. It was a great game back and forth. This was not a great game back and forth. This was two really good defenses and an efficient Chiefs offense. So I got some next gen stats?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Going into this week, the Chiefs actually were second in the league in terms of success rate, behind only the Lions, who actually had the highest success rate of any team since two thousand and six, which is crazy. So the Chiefs are second in the league in success rate. So they're very efficient. When people, I think sometimes commentators overuse the word efficient, it just means like they're not that good sometimes, But it's true. The Chiefs are really efficient, and yet they have the second lowest explosive play rate in the entire NFL. So it's what your eyes are telling you. They are just a slow moving offense. Their run game actually this season had the lowest explosive rate play rate since two thousand and six, which is outrageous. They just can't pop like a ten to fifteen yard run. Now, this game was a little different. Mahomes he had the rushing touchdown, and I thought that maybe the biggest play in the game was where he ran along the sideline when it was very much still up in doubt and he did that voodoo where he fakes the pass when he's passed the line of scrimmage and the linebacker falls forward anyways, and he ends up with thirty three yards down the sideline. That's an explosive run. You got a twenty yard run from Nicole Hardman, you had a nice seamball to Noah Gray, and Sabaji p Ryan had a like a screen pass that went for twenty two. That counts as explosive. So they had a couple more big plays today, and yet it's still is a struggle. Travis Kelce, you know, doesn't have a big day. Five targets, only seventeen yards, and I just look at this running game. Cream Hunt goes twenty two for seventy eight. They picked up the yards when they needed it, and it's like, like, I guess they don't need more. I don't know like, I don't know what to make of it. My thought is Patrick that they like they'll figure out how to get more in the end, and for now they don't need more.
Speaker 7: Well, it's almost like, so they get that one rushing attempt for Xavier Worthy coming back around and it's like, okay, well here's here's the explosive opportunity. Right, it gets five yards And if it's not Exavier Worthy, then then what are you You're relying on late stage Kareem Hunt to make a play.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's Patrick Mahomes doing the.
Speaker 1: Do Mahomes had Worthy wide open deep and overthrew. That was surprising on one play and then they use you know on that play you mentioned it Worthy. He got hit so hard. It's something that Bomani Jones said that stuck with me on his podcast, just like he didn't think Xavier Worthy would was like just wait enough to be a regular NFL player like this and I and that that hit made me wonder. Sometimes you do think, like, man, this guy cannot take too many hits. He's gonna have to be careful.
Speaker 7: Well, and I think one thing they could be contextualized there, Musifer's hit a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very hard.
Speaker 7: He's trying to cover and hit Patrick Mahomes at the same time, like coming back at the goal line like that. That's tough to do, yes, And so like I it's a wonder as a one to one comparison because there were blockers and Husifer eluded to blockers, and all of a sudden he's in Worthy's face and it's like, you know, he's not necessarily trying to to run somebody over at that point. It's it's it's going to be a slog, right for case, It's gonna feel like a slog, like I scoffed it.
Speaker 3: You guys, you had I think Cynthia picked twenty eight points.
Speaker 7: You picked twenty five points in this game, and I'm thinking the Chase aren't scoring that many points against San Francisco. No, they just, as you pointed out efficient twenty two first downs.
Speaker 3: I mean, they just go out there and get yards.
Speaker 1: That number says it like what I was just saying, twenty two first downs but only three hundred and twenty nine yards in eight for fourteen on third down. They've just sort of figured out situational football right now. They have a couple turnovers and let's be real it's it's about the defense. They played press coverage today on sixty percent of their snaps, their highest rate of the year. They did not allow a completion on those press coverage snaps, oh for five. At first, I was thinking, like, how did Purty only get off five snaps if they're playing that on But it's because he was scrambling around, because he's throwing interceptions, because he's he's taking some sacks, not a ton of sacks, but Carl Loftis had a big one and had a big quarterback hit in a big spot, and they just didn't value what they were looking at on the other side of the football. And that brings us to the biggest takeaway from this game, which is that Brandon Ayuk left with a knee injury and Kyle Shanahan said that he fears it's a torn ACL. Generally, when they say that, that means the initial tests are it's a torn ACL, but the MRI that they do that night or the next day can sometimes tell a different story that has happened. It's not too often and that obviously would be just a devastating blow for Brandon Ayuk and this forty nine ers team. They also were without Deebo Samuel for almost this entire game. He was listed with an illness late It was not on the injury report, but he had something come up over the weekend. It was also a weekend where Diana Rassini of the Athletic throughout there that he's a name to watch in trade talks, which I found interesting. I can't imagine that would be the case if Brandon Ayuk is out for the season, because they certainly need Deebo Samuel. Jacob Cowen stepped in this game. Ricky Piersoll, played for the first time as a pro, caught three passes. Cowen was pretty explosive, but yeah, like one of those three pretty interceptions Nick was throwing to Ronnie Bell, where Ronnie Bell just looked like he was going the wrong way. The other two interceptions were pretty ugly, just one bad throw by Purdy and one of his worst games I would say as a pro, and another bad throw where he was getting hit at the same time but as Tom Brady liked to point out, like he didn't know where he was looking. Anyways. Tom Brady was very hard on Brock Purty in this game, and I got to admit, Chuck I liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that clip I already saw twice where Tom Brady's just like, even if he gets a clean throw off, I don't know where he's going. Brock Purtty is the tendency to have these days against good defenses occasionally. But the whole Deebo Samuel idea that he could be traded, it just blows my mind because as soon as you take him out of the game, and especially when I have Christian McCaffrey, you realize that you've lost the key to that unlocks this offense. Why would you even consider tossing the key in the river for whatever you might get out of it like that? Just that makes no sense to me at all. And if Ike's down like we think he is, I feel like that's going to disappear, because he's absolutely an essential part, especially if they don't have IU.
Speaker 1: I think they'd only do it depending if they believe they need something else on their team that they could get us back this year for Deebo that they could get back. And I hear what you're saying, Nick, and I think it's true with Auk out of the lineup, but he's just been up and down getting them and maybe there's there's more to the story that then we really know that they would consider that it might just be about the contract, but I'm with you, it doesn't make any sense. Juwan Jennings was also out for this game with an injury, so they were just really shorthanded, and Jordan Mason did play despite his shoulder injury, came up short from a couple of touchdowns. They did not run the ball well for most of the game. Popped a couple like in the second half, but for the most part it was their defense just hanging on.
Speaker 3: Try.
Speaker 1: I kind to keep a minute, But Kyle Shanahan, he just must feel like like he's got a Kansas City Chiefs problem and he's sick of it.
Speaker 10: There's no way to sugarcoat that.
Speaker 2: We got our ass kick today.
Speaker 10: Lots of reasons for it, but those are things that they don't need to sit and think about today.
Speaker 2: We'll dress all those tomorrow.
Speaker 10: We'll get together, we'll go through the truth of the whole tape and you know, be hard on each other and find a way to put it to bed so we can come out here and make sure we put our best foot forward and find a way to get a win versus.
Speaker 1: Allis three and four on the season. The forty nine ers are just not having a good time right now. That that under wins total I took in the over under wins total draft. I'm tracking these. That's pretty good right now. You know what, who else is looking good? Jordan Love? Let's go to Lambo off the left hash for the pattern.
Speaker 4: Eleven years out of Temple. Brandon McManus Super Bowl winner with.
Speaker 1: Denver Packards along the sidelines.
Speaker 4: Hand in hand. Here's the snap, Love, Snap, It's been made.
Speaker 11: Kicked to the upright, Yes, God, Yes, God, breen.
Speaker 1: By the Packers, pep one.
Speaker 4: Brandon McManus. Forty five yard field goal.
Speaker 12: Who welcome to Free's.
Speaker 1: Bay, Wayne Laravie and w R and W Yes Brandon McManus speaking of setting up kickers, Yo, in a spot that maybe you're having a little too confident in your kicker. The Packers took a lot of time setting that field goal up and were bailed out, frankly, not just by McManus, but by Romeo Dobbs, who made a fantastic catch. Was it on third down? I don't even know, but over the middle on a slant to set up that forty five yard field goal. Yes McManus, the new kicker for the Packers on a day that Jordan Love made some of the most beautiful throws that you'll ever see. And he had a couple interceptions as he's wont to do. Hence the far of comparisons. We'll get to that in a minute. But my thing Nick watching this was I saw one quarterback. There's two of my favorite young quarterbacks in league to watch, two top ten quarterbacks already in my mind and in your mind, I believe in the QB Index, that's where they're at. I saw one young quarterback who's getting supported by good offensive land line play. That's Jordan Love, by a good running game really that's both of them, and by excellent scheme guys getting open, the right talent around him, and cohesion in terms of being able to pick up the free blitzers, pick up stunts, and being put up in a situation to succeed. That's Jordan Loff ended up with three touchdowns two hundred and twenty yards on the day. On the other side, I saw a quarterback in CJ. Stroud that is not being said up to succeed when he's dropping back ten for twenty one eighty six yards, and you could put some of that on Stroud, but he was under pressure practically every snap. It looked like their offensive line has never seen a stunt in their life, unblocked defenders on every other play and then running the ball. Yeah, you can see that. Joe Mixon had a lot of big runs and did have a nice day, but they had a ton of negative runs and a ton of run stuffs. They ran the ball on first down nine out of ten times after halftime, So predictable play calling, terrible offensive line play, And to me, that was really the difference, because I think both of these quarterbacks were game. They both had great two minute drives at the end of the game to you know, really set up their teams to win. Stroud had a ridiculously good pass to put them ahead on a field goal that was before that field goal drive. But it was one sided to me in terms of the schematics, in terms of the offensive coaching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that explains the extreme emphasis on the run, which is that the Texans and other offensive line is no good when it comes to pass protection, and the only way to keep a defense honest is to get the run. Game going, which is why they're turning to that so often. But the book is out on them. I hate to say it, but the book is out of them. It's been out on them since that Viking's lost. They can't pass protect CJ has been dealing with chaos all season. He does not look like he's playing with the same comfort, not because of him, but because of the offensive line that he did last year. So everything around him kind of falls apart because they have a lot of weapons around him. They got a lot of talent. Joe Mixon had a nice day, but he's not supported in the same way, like you said, So he's being asked to be a hero because he has no other choice. And that's how you get a stat line in a game like this, you know, against the defense that has recognized that. I go back to the Vikings game because we know Brian Flores loves the blitz. Well, this game, it's not even so much that they needed to blitz, it's just the fact that they're getting pressure regardless. They blitzed five times and they still got, you know, a pressure rate of nearly fifty percent. That speaks to your offensive line. You're setting your quarterback up for failure. No matter how good he is, he still needs time to throw. So that's the achilles heel on them. That's the weakness that people probably aren't paying attention to. That are going to pay attention to it now because they lost a game like this.
Speaker 1: They simulated the pressure on because I could have sworn they were blitz in the whole game. I'm glad you did that, but they were showing blitz and Halfley Jeff Hafley, their defensive coordinator, got a game ball after the game. I watched the postgame locker room thing, and it was a lot of simulated pressure and a lot of confusion. And as good as the run game looks on paper, their success rate was very low. Joe Mixon still only thirty six percent six run stuff so negative, a lot of run negative runs that put them in tough situations. And give credit to the Packers defense, which was flying around and they really should have won this game by more. They lost the turnover battle three to nothing. They were being put in a bad spot once in the red zone a special teams fumble by Green Bay and then twice on those Jordan Love interceptions, and the defense really stood up tall and won the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, and it wasn't the traditional muffkick.
Speaker 7: It was Balentine, one of the up guys, just kind of being you know, it's one of those Peter Peter Peters situations like, hey, watch.
Speaker 3: Off for the football fire fire And no he didn't ball hits him. Texans able to recover that.
Speaker 7: But but again, Packers defense stands up and you know, you guys talked about pressure when they actually did get pressure, not a simulated pressure, when they actually got pressure on CJ. Stroud, he was three of nine with a forty eight point four passer rating. That was the type of circumstances he was in. But yeah, Jordan Love was it was feast or famine. That was what Mark Ross was saying while we're watching this game on Game Day Live. It was either going great for the Packers and Jordan Love is throwing this dime getting past the fingertips of a defender, or it's gone absolutely horrible. And on the final drive, Jordan Love threw a fade away yolo ball to Tom Davian Wicks that could have easily got picked off and they could have lost the game, leading to you know, some conversation about a.
Speaker 1: Certainly that the one over the middle, you mean, yeah, in the end zone. That was a perfect play to bring up because it was like one inch away from being a huge gainer, yeah, and not getting tipped in a really nice but one inch, but it was tipped, and then it was like one inch away from getting intercepted and would have been his third interception on the I mean, you're not kidding about the boom and buss. He had the two interceptions. They also had one two four to three and outs and a four and out. So like, this was a game that had a little bit of everything. I think it was a really good game. A lot of off you know, not a lot of offense total yards wise. In fact, in the second half there was a sequence where Texans punted four straight times and the Packers punted three straight times. And yet there were some beautiful throws by Jordan Love. The touchdown to Wicks was awesome. The dime to Tucker Craft over the middle was just a beautiful throw and a catch. That's one where I want to see the end zone angle because I just know it's going to be so pretty. Josh Jacobs ran really well. Joe Mixon is reborn, is running really hard when he gets a little bit of a lane. It was awesome c J Stroud for everything I said that he struggled, like the throw he had to Xavier Hutchinson, which would have been our highlight to start the game. It was on a third and long, totally under pressure, ended up getting the Texans even closer for their field goal, but also killed the clock and took away the Packers. I mean, that was c J. Stroud in a nutshell.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit of everything. It was a fun game. These two teams are five and two. And as I mentioned at the top of the show, and I guess as Mark Ross was saying, yeah, Jordan Love is getting a lot of these Brett Fav comparisons and Matt Lafleur doesn't want to hear him.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we can put him in better situations so he's not throwing, you know, picks, So all you talking heads out there can ease on the Brett Farv comparisons.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, now even Lafleur is jumping in, and I see this on Packers Twitter. All these Packers fans are like, oh no, he's another Farv, Like oh he's another Fuff are you are you? Are you crazy? This man won three straight mvbs. I'm not talking about Brett Favre the man. I'm talking about Brett Favre the player. If you could tell me or Packers fans that you're gonna get Brett Farv's career right now, he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, Like I said, like, what are the best players in the league for most of his career? What are we talking about here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you take that, you take that every opportunity. But I don't know if that's the context. I don't know if that's the context.
Speaker 1: They're saying, Yeah, he's taking a lot of chances, so he's throwing a lot of picks, Like yeah, that's okay, Like sometimes picks aren't like the total end of the world. Oh, the total package is working. And I'm just saying, like people are using it like a slur when he's in all time great literally three straight mbps. He's the only person to ever do that.
Speaker 2: Nick Schuck, Yeah, he'll he'll break past that if he can actually get rid of the tendency. Because the reason the reason the Packers fans feel this way is because they saw the first half of last season and they saw himself destruct and make, you know, try throws that would kill drives where they just need to get in field goal range and stuff like that. If he actually shakes it off over the long haul and wins games like this, even with a pick or two, then you'll take it because the results will follow, like they did with Brett Farvis. Just we're so early in of course they're going to throw.
Speaker 1: It, but it's worth it. I love it. It's entertaining, it's it's just crazy, like people over eight interceptions. Just a little bit. I was listening to the Joe Flacco on Chris Longs a green Light podcast, and Flacco was talking about last year with the Browns, just like, hey, he's too old to worry about interceptions. He's trying to win, and I know what he meant, like, sometimes being aggressive is worth it. And when you're Jordan Love, now is that time all right? Before we move on from this game, I do just want to hear Stefan Diggs talk about his rivalry with Dayr Alexander. They got into a pregame shoving match, and this just made me happy. Credit here to Chancellor TV on Twitter.
Speaker 13: I always walking to the locker room in the beginning of the game when I heard somebody chirping, and I'm never the bigger person. So that's about myself, or for a minute, so I'm never a bigger person. I ain't let you go.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 13: Obviously they picked it up or whatever, but I ain't with the football talk, guys, is what it is.
Speaker 2: Put it on the wall. I love person.
Speaker 3: It's going on a quote graphic and it's gonna have some it's gonna do numbers.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, I absolutely love it. Yeah, he wasn't. I mean, these these two teams were fighting all day long. It was like a rivalry game, except it was Texans Packers.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Finally, just like a little bit of love to this this safety group for the Packers. Evan Williams, huge plays in this game, huge open field tackle on a two point conversion, Zavery McKinney, big time sack, keeps getting it done. And uh, like I said, Romeo Dobbs is awesome. Maybe he should have been upset. He should be a big part of the game plan when they needed to play today. It was to Romeo Dobs eight for ninety four. But the quality of those catches, the quality of those routes. He was putting people in the dirt. Sometimes it was Derek Stingley. Like good players, everyone got the business from Robo Dobbs a really underrated player and was really important in winning a game. Like I said, they lost the turnover battle three to nothing, but their defense and yes, Jordan Love got it done. Let's take a quick break, fun start to this week seven recap.
Speaker 14: Hurts him a gun gang weell to his one bullshit. AJ Brown hurts, takes the slam, he's back, he steps up, he lets it go out.
Speaker 4: Of this cart and the cuts down.
Speaker 12: Hey, jet it Brown.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a question, go to a J. Brown.
Speaker 14: You cannot throw a ball anymore perfectly my mind.
Speaker 1: Mike Quick He's right, and uh what Jail It hurts things certainly if you've watched the last two weeks of Eagles football twenty eight to three. Yes, Nick Sirianni going for it in a couple of big spots in this game on fourth down and his team came through for him. Brown with the forty one yard touchdown reception that was w ip. Of course, Merril Reese, the Great Merril Reese starting the call. Saquon Barkley, Patrick returned to the meadowlands. And I didn't watch this game as close as you did. Did we have a lot of shots to the owner's booth because I don't think John Morrow was happy watching Saquon go seventeen for one to seventy six at a touchdown.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we didn't. Early of course he came out. He DAPs off John Hower before the game. There's there's shots of jerseys being burned and all of that type of chicanery. Well, hopefully somebody got the tattered jersey out of the fire pit, because.
Speaker 3: That that made me once.
Speaker 7: Remember, Saquon had his second highest rushing yards total of his career in his first career game against his former.
Speaker 1: It only seventeen carries in a.
Speaker 7: Game that started punt punt punt Azizo Jalari Brian Burns. This this Giants defense playing well, having to deal with an offense that was really doing nothing. That the Eagles go punt punt punt, there's a second down and Saquon pops off for fifty five yard. Later on they score on that drive. Then that next drive, the play that we just saw the Giants defense force is a fourth and three. For some reason, they got their fifth stringer matched up against aj Brown one on one with no help.
Speaker 1: Was that like Nick McLeod, Yeah, they probably thought they were running it there and they did not.
Speaker 7: They did not They could throw to Aj as Jalen was more than comfortable doing. After that, it's it's pretty much it's pretty much over Daniel Jones. Well not Daniel Jones, because eventually we did get to see Drew Locke, but eight sacks for this Philadelphia Eagles defense a litany of players. This wasn't just Jalen Carter going off. This was I think six Eagles got sex in this game.
Speaker 1: When Bryce Huff gets a sacked and you know it's healthy.
Speaker 3: Sorry Bryce Hoff's return to met life.
Speaker 1: I gotta say those Well, these last two weeks have been really big, I think for the Eagles in their defense, because they really struggled at the beginning of the year. And yes, you got to play Deshaun Watson and Daniel Jones back to back weeks, but you've racked up huge sack totals and they've kind of shown, Okay, we can beat up on really bad offenses, which I didn't think this defense necessarily was capable of. And everyone's eating at least since thereby, as you mentioned, Nolan Smith playing pretty well too. Daniel Jones gets benched Nick and after the game Brian Dable said Daniel Jones will be his quarterback. The score was twenty eight to three at the time. He said he wanted to see if Drew Locke could provide a little bit of a spark narrator. He did not provide a spark. Did not. He had eight attempts for a total of six yards, So not even Malik Neighbors could could save him here. Yeah, really one sided and really starting to look like that Seattle win was like the high point of this Giant season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I love to give their front a lot of credit because that is the strength of their team. But when your offense is this bad, I mean, look, the Eagles blitzed once. They got eight sacks, and they blitzed once the entire day two point five percent according to next Gen Status. That's bad, guys, that's bad for Giants defensive loss. Also, can I push back against the spark thing? When has the spark ever worked? Coaches? Oh, we're looking for a spark. No, you're just looking for a change, because you know what's going on right now is not gonna work for you, rough, ugly day, but the sweet, sweet taste of revenge for Saquon Barkley. God, it's gotta feel good to average ten point four yards of pop against your former team.
Speaker 1: So he averaged five point four four rushing yards over expected per attempt, Like that's a good deal, that's that's totally preposterous. He popped three long runs in this game, and he didn't hit any of them for a touchdown. So after the game he was like, I gotta go back and work on that. He said it with a straight face too. I think he was. I mean, athletes are built different than us. You know, I would have been happy after the game, and I think he was happy, but not about that. Let's actually listen to to Saquon.
Speaker 3: That was crazy. That was crazy.
Speaker 15: I mean, I've seen my jersey get learned before over on social media, but the timing of it, Like, I'm locked in, I'm listening to my music and I see like the fans and all see his fans just pointing, and I look and I'm like what are they pointing at? And I see smoking. I'm just like in my jersey again, Burnt So Yeah, that was definitely different. I don't know if I ever experienced anything like that in my life, and you know, hopefully I don't experience that again.
Speaker 1: But in that moment, I was I was ready for thirty one.
Speaker 13: Let's just say that.
Speaker 1: Ah, that is crazy. Oh they showed it on the jumbo tron. Now I'm picking it out through the context. Was that absolutely not? Still?
Speaker 2: Yes, then the drive in to MetLife. By the way, the driving to MetLife is unique in that you go around the entire tailgate lot on the team buses.
Speaker 1: I experienced it that that's what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: They will flip the burn at you. You get an up close and personal look at everybody tailgating and they know that's your bus. So they had that planned talk about motivation message to every fan. If for a player shows up but he's coming by your tailgate lot, don't burn his jersey unless you want to have a bad day.
Speaker 1: Well, he's like one of the greatest, uh, you know, players in your history, certainly one of the best running backs that we've seen rough And yes, I mentioned Jalen Hurts that that sequence to me where he threw that touch on was Jalen Hurts in a nutshell because he passed on a wide open receiver on third down and just held the ball and threw it out of bounds. But then he hits a beautiful go ball. Only throwed the ball fourteen times in this game. Dexter Lawrence, shout out to him. Leading the NFL in sacks as a nose tackle is just preposterous. Uh, making a run for Defensive Player of the Year as a nose tackle on a bad team. That has happened in the NFL before. Can you name the man who did.
Speaker 3: That nose tackle on the bad team?
Speaker 2: I mean the first interior linement. I think outside of like Aaron Donald will be like Warren Sapp, But I think we got to go back further than that.
Speaker 3: It's like Albert Hansworth.
Speaker 1: It is Cortes Kennedy. I believe it was a lousy Seahawks team, but he was just so good that they gave him the award. So maybe Saquon I mean, maybe Dexter Lawrence. We'll get that done. Let's go to Seattle versus the Falcons. I don't think there's any Defensive Players of the Year candidates in this game. There wasn't a lot of defense, at least not for the Falcons.
Speaker 4: Three receivers left Gino from the shotgun DK on the numbers on the right side. Snap Gino steps up the boys.
Speaker 11: One man lands it over the top Walker cut down, Sayhawks Ken Walker. The third reaching up making a diving reception in the front corner of the end zone from seventeen out.
Speaker 4: What a drive by the Seahawks.
Speaker 11: Thank you penalty, but the Seahawks cash it in and extend their lead twenty.
Speaker 4: Three to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Ooh, ken Walker get it done as a receiver. My god, what an improved player. I know he was good to begin with, but to me, he is just a better player than he used to move thirty four to fourteen Seahawks offense rolls in Atlanta. By the end of this game, Michael Pennix is playing football at the national professional level. Here. Nick Schook did not expect this to be this one sided. But it was a good day for my boy Gino, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh you're gonna love it when he takes a deep dive in this game, Greg, because this is a classic Geno game. I mean, they have the ball inside of two minutes. There's like eight seconds left in the clock. He drops back and fires a strike down the middle of the field of dk among a sea of Falcons for a touchdown that makes it seventeen to seven. He drops that Dimon Kenneth Walker, who by the way, ran a fantastic rout out of the backfield. He kind of like hesitated and just shook the defender there before making that spectacular grab, and then Gino's day is basically hasn't done. He doesn't have to do much else because they get a strip zach on Kirk Cousins. It starts off a chain of three straight turnovers. Derek Hall picks it up and rumbles down the field and Witherspoon throws a block on a lineman down the field, I think it was Kayleb McGarry, and he gets in the end zone for a sixty four yard Almoll return touchdown, and just like that at thirty one to fourteen, and the Falcons can say good night because they had nothing left to do after that except well, Kirk had to throw let's see two more picks. One through the hands of Drake London, not his fault, second one definitely his fault. Everything unraveled. It was a winnable game, and it suddenly became a very unwinnable game for the Falcons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should have mentioned at the top, this is our Sunday Drive presented by the all new hybrid Toyota Camry, and yeah, we only the best for an epic geno game, and yeah this maybe this defense can improve too. I think they probably feel fortunate that the Falcons didn't run the ball as much as they could have. Their success rate was sky high. Bajon Robinson goes over one hundred yards, Tyler Algier five for thirty six, and yet it was a kind of a pass happy effort by the Falcons, who you know, week after week. I keep looking at that stat in the in the next gen stats like play action. Are they doing anything with Kirk again three for four in this game? And I think this points out kind of their imitations, because the Seahawks were getting gassed by play action all season long, getting gashed by the running game. But the Falcons don't really have that club in their bag and they couldn't go to it today.
Speaker 7: Well, they were getting gashed in the run game. Ultimately, what you had nick watching this game was defensive coordinator Eugene Cyril Smith like Gino was so hot that the Falcons gave up on the run. We were in the second We're in the second half and Bijon Robinson was averaging seven yards of carry and Tyler Algee was out averaging nine. The Falcons were running the ball well, Seahawks giving up big plays.
Speaker 3: They struggled to corral Bijon in the backfield.
Speaker 7: But ultimately, when Gino kept delivering time after time after time, the run game just went out the window. And there was that late touchdown to Drake London where the Falcons were in They were in the game, but the Hall fumble returned for the touchdown. It just all started to avalanche to the point where the Falcons could do nothing and scramble.
Speaker 3: Kirk started throwing picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why I led with the Gino pass the DK because it gave him a ten point lead and kind of forced the Falcons to be a little bit one dimensional. They weren't out of the start. Out of the halftime, they went fourteen plays. Kirk goes seven for seven. They marched down the field relatively speaking to me to fourteen plays, but and scoring it's an emphatic drive like they score a touchdown. I'm like, all right, we got a ball game. They're coming right back. They punch him in the mouth and the Seahawks immediately respond the score another touchdown. They're just playing catch up the whole day before you know. It's a demonstration of how quickly a game can unravel too. If you turn the ball over in a back and forth affair like this, suddenly you're gonna be looking up and you're gonna be down by fifteen twenty points. And that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Let's listen to the Derek Hall fumble return touchdown, one of the more exciting moments of the day. And yeah, the decisive moment in this one.
Speaker 4: Boy and Mafe isn't there in an inside rushing position.
Speaker 3: Well, Robinson stays.
Speaker 4: In the backfield for Atlanta.
Speaker 11: Cousin scrambles, left side, gets hit, goes down, Maffay, ball comes down, ball.
Speaker 4: Rolling, click up, furth side gets haul.
Speaker 6: Down the farth side lone gas on a score touchdown, Say Hawks, Derreck.
Speaker 4: Hall all the shock bye boy buffing.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that call from Steve rabel K I r oh and yeah, players players matter. Having boy Mafey back is kind of a big deal. Having Byron Murphy back kind of a big deal. Draymont Jones goes for six pressures in this game, Leonard Williams five, Derek Hall seven. So offensive line struggling a little bit for Atlanta. Defense hasn't been amazing all year. And then how confident can you be in your starting quarterback when he's making a sound like this before the snap? Sorry, that's that's Kirk Cousins. I just I just wanted to is he saying, Carl shoffers, No, that's I mean, that's just yah. Really old school Kirk watchers will know every once in a while, he just has this squeak that comes out. Let's just listen to it one more time when he's called one more time. Sorry, So that's actually one from Minnesota. This is that. This is the Minnesota. Well, that's the Minnesota. And then this is the one we heard this morning. Okay, I don't so that. I don't know. I don't know if that's intentional or what that is, but I love it.
Speaker 2: It's like a dog toy that's squeaking when he when they chew on it.
Speaker 1: Every once in a while, Yeah, voice cracks. It would happen to Tom Brady back in the day when when he when he was calling out signals and uh love that and Michael Pennox quarterback controversy one for one fourteen yards. I'm kind of glad shook that these both these teams are four and three. That feels right for them, Like five and two it would have been over there their skis like, uh, that long of a winning streak for this Falcon team wouldn't have felt right. A four game losing streak for the Seahawks wouldn't have felt right. They both feel like four and three teams and they're both at least the Seahawks are in first place. The Falcons will wait and find out about the Bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you look at the little score bug during the game, and I looked down at the record and I was like, yeah, that's about right. I mean, it's good time to get back on the side of things after losing three straight. I don't know how much I really learned about them, other than the fact that Gino continues to be good and when he's not good, they at a losing games.
Speaker 1: I think that today, I think the thing we're going to learn is how much can Mike McDonald problem solve on defense like Seahawks fans are overreacting a little too much to their struggles, like it's a long they were heard season right, and they have a look they have a little bit of a lead in the NFC West. That was the Sunday Drive presented by the all new hybrid Toyota Camra. Whatever your vibe, it's a camera vibe. Learn more at Toyota dot com slash Camri. And we've reached the portion of the show where Nick Shook has to talk about the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 16: One forty left in the third it's third down for the Bengals, third down and four Burrow catches the shotgun snap throws caught by Higgins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, running to the tab.
Speaker 3: For your vibe.
Speaker 16: Touchdown down Bengals t Higgins high stepping it into the end zone and now he tosses the ball high into the air as he looks into the dog pound after that touchdown grab.
Speaker 1: That was Dan Hord and Dave Lapham of w c K. Why Yeah, Lapham might be passing Scott Zolak as the best. Yeah go, he's got him. It's like way less obnoxious to Higgins taking it in. T Higgins has quietly been awesome this year. He is back to twenty twenty two t Higgins. They only scored fourteen points on offense, but you get an opening kickoff return for a touchdown and usually you win the game. And the Bengals did. Browns get a late touchdown from their third quarterback to play today, Jamis Winston, And yeah, let's start there, because that's ultimately the story of the day. Nick Shook. The Cleveland Browns lost their starting quarterback Deshaun Watson to an achilles injury. Appears to be a torn achilles and it's hard not to think about what this all means for him and the team moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we'll learn that over time, because there's a lot of money in contract situation, everything else, a lot of decisions to be made. But in the short term, it was all right, Well, we've talked about Deshaun Watson, you know, and his place in this offense, being the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. Now he's out. Now let's see what they look like. And for a moment, Dorian Thompson Robinson gave him a little bit of life. He got took off a couple times with some read options and everything else, but he ends up getting hurt too, and James Winston comes in the offense. Is still not a good operation. Nick Chubb came back scored a touchdown that was great, but overall still not a good group. One cool nugget from research, though, because not often that you see three quarterbacks attempt to so many passes in a game. So according to the NFL research, the Browns are the first team to have three different players have ten plus pass attempts in a game since the Chiefs in Week seven of two thousand and eight. Could you guess those three quarterbacks?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 1: Okay, is Tyler Thigpen one of them?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is Brody Croyle one of them?
Speaker 1: Yes? Holy cow?
Speaker 3: Can we do this?
Speaker 1: Damon?
Speaker 4: I can't believe we did that.
Speaker 3: That's yours.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We just won the Super Bowl because I wouldn't have gotten Croyle.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know City, Alabama's own Brody Croyle.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have gotten Croyle. But my teammate picked me up and that closed that down with Damian Hewart. Holy Greg is right. Oh that is Nothing makes me happier than getting.
Speaker 2: That's the brightest spot about the Browns, By the way, their defense is still solid, but they're asked to do too much. Joe Burrow and the offense didn't score anything in the first half. Obviously, you know he runs an issues against this Browns defense, but they figured out the second half. Him and Jamar Chase and t Higgins. The rapport is almost unmatched in the NFL, and it was it was too much for the Browns to be able to stop in the second half. The Bengals man one two in a row. Let's go getting back in the right way.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to come down from what just took place here. Although it is they're runing a little bit, it is reminded me of the worst quarterback matchup I've ever seen, maybe the worst game of all time, which was I think that season Brody Croyle versus Kellen Clemens of the Jets Weeks sixteen six sick Ohs. Look up the box score of that game and yeah, let's just talk Wapson. So the crowd cheers a little, like so the players were, you know, Miles Garrett and Jamis Winston were upset after the game. Was this something where they're talking about like a small amount of fans cheered or it was it hard to tell on the television broadcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of hard to tell. The audio at that stadium has never been good on TV unless you you don't want to hear people banging on aluminum siding because that happens on third.
Speaker 1: So you know, some fans are happy when he gets hurt, which you know, it doesn't surprise me, and he's crying going off the field, and I actually thought there was a good chance this was going to be his last start ever for the Browns, and extrapolating that forward, I actually thought there was an outside chance this will be his last time he ever plays in the NFL, because I think there's a chance, if he was healthy that when he got benched, that they're not going back to him ever. And if you just ignore the contract, I don't see another team signing him in the future, even for like one million dollars. It's possible, but I don't. If I had to guess, I was leaning on that it was probably gonna happen soon that he would get bench And now one of the reasons I felt even stronger about that was what people were mad about, including Patrick. I disagree with you on this, Patrick, that you know they looked bad because they had Dorian Thompson Robinson as the backup quarterback this game and then he had to go in and play.
Speaker 4: For what.
Speaker 1: You know. This could be a wrong evaluation, but I actually thought them making DTR the backup was a sign that Watson was on a short least because DTR was actually the guy they wanted to see all along. And whether they're right or wrong about that, I don't know. But Stefanski's been pretty good with the backup quarterback, so I'm not going to have like a hot take about that. So when I saw DTR was the backup, I was like, Oh, he's going to get benched this game if he doesn't play well, and then you know what happened.
Speaker 3: Happened.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the reason that people would instantly believe that was because they've been kind of making a feudal effort on offense for multiple weeks. Yeah, with Deshaun Watson in quarterback, I don't know that the decision making at the quarterback position in Cleveland is getting a whole lot of trust globally right now because of that. And so I've seen Jamis wants to play a lot of football. I think it's hard to get Joe Flacco leading this team down the stretch kind of out of your mind, and Famous fits falls into that mold.
Speaker 3: But ultimately it's not a good team. They're one and six.
Speaker 7: They haven't had both of their tackles play in a game all season long. Still to this point, it's the positive is Nick Chubb is finally back. He's able to get in the end zone today. That was probably the best Browns drive of the game. But where dtr comes in in relief of Deshaun Watson, Nick Chubb gets in the end zone there. But it's I think the skepticism about the decision making fair is just a view of the way people see the decision making of the franchise.
Speaker 3: In bringing to Shaun Watson h in the first.
Speaker 1: Right, and I almost wonder if him getting hurt, it's not gonna let them off the hook, But it just makes the decision for them, and it makes people forget that this is Andrew Berry who did this, Like this was the worst move in the history of the NFL, Like, without any question, it was that bad to begin with, and I was very strong about on the show because of everything that Deshaun Watson did off the field, and that's why everyone's saying about the jamis Winston standing up for his teammate and Miles Garrett standing up for his teammate. After the game, it's like, Oh, they really spoke truth here and this is powerful words. And I don't know, I just don't. I don't buy it because the indignation that they have in this moment about that small group of fans or whatever is so much stronger than anything they ever said about all the women that Shaun Watson was accused of sexually assaulting, or certainly how the organization brought him in or anything like. So I don't need to hear it. You can, you can feel that, and you can say whatever, you can say your truth, but I don't need to hear members of the media saying like, oh, this is this is powerful stuff on a human level. It's like, no, like, just just miss me with it. Because they made a deal with the devil and that they're paying for it and the injury put that to the side. That sort of has nothing to do with it in this case to me, because this decision was over with, like as a complete and utter failure that normally would get everyone fired. Maybe the like, we don't know who actually made that decision, and maybe that changes. And now the Browns just are going to move forward in whatever way that is. And I think it's going to be a way where they get this like tap space through insurance money potentially, and they figure out a way to maybe trade him to another team and give away draft picks and it's like a like a Brockos. I think, who knows in the future, but that's all in the future. For now, they got to live through this, you know, what's been a miserable season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're not a good team. Like Patrick said, they're not a good team. They're especially not a good offense. Jerry Judy threw his helmet at the bench after a possession today and that was after Watson was out. We've talked about this for weeks. This is nothing new. It will be interesting to see if you know, it ends up being Jamis in that job and whether they can do anything, because they the best they've looked all your offensively is when Jameis has been on the field in that small cuccle size.
Speaker 1: But yes, he's the only healthy guy. Anyways. Rob dtr had twenty four throws with two interceptions in eighty two yards, so that was an unmitigated disaster. For the most part. He was their leading rusher. Nick Chubb, you know, got the touchdown, but didn't do a lot on the ground eleven for twenty two in his first game back. Bengals fans are probably like, you're not giving us any love. It was an ugly game. You got Higgins and Chase I only scored fourteen points in offense. Your defense has showed, like the Eagles the last couple of weeks, that they can really stand up against lower tier offenses, and that's a good sign and maybe it's something to build off. Sam Hubbard certainly has played better. But you had twelve first downs, you know, so that's and you lost Orlando Brown to an injury, so there's some concern there. I just thought the Watson thing ultimately was the bigger story coming out of this game. And the Bengals, look, you got your win, You're three and four, You are back in the mix. If you look at their schedule, they got a chance to go on a little run. I think they get the Eagles next. That'll be interesting. Let's just since that was a wholly negative recap here Let's listen to our friend Andrews Ciciliano and what was the nicest moment here for the Browns today? It is fourth down.
Speaker 4: Dtr is the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Brown's gonna go with the eye again, Swam.
Speaker 4: The tight end is the up back Nick Chubb.
Speaker 5: That's the eye pitch left, Nick Chubb running left.
Speaker 4: Nick Chubb is touch show Nicklass shamol Shop. Welcome back and welcome back.
Speaker 17: To the Enzo.
Speaker 1: Awesome call there by Andrew on wk R kay and yet one other small injury note. Genostone of the Bengals got hurt late in this game, so that's something to watch in their secondary. Let's go to another one sided game. Let's go to Buffalo.
Speaker 11: Second and ten from the twelve play clock down to five, Alan in the shotgun takes a snap Blit's coming, fires over the middle for.
Speaker 4: A Mai super Cooper.
Speaker 1: For a twelve yard touchdown reception. Yes, Amari Cooper is a member of the Buffalo Bills and he's out here scoring touchdowns. His first ever catches a Buffalo Bill is a touchdown. That was Chris Brown of w g R. What if I told you that the Tennessee Titans were ahead ten nothing in this game. What if I told you Eric Roberts, our producer, was sweating it out here at halftime they were trailing ten to seven. And what if I told you the Buffalo Bills looked like the Super Bowl contenders that they are after halftime and absolutely bum rushed this Titans team. It was like they just flipped a switch and started trying. The yardage in the second half at one point was two hundred and sixteen to ten. And yeah, Mariy Cooper had a drop early, nick and it was rynd. I mean, reminded me of his Browns days, Like a drive ended on a bad Cooper drop and I was like, uh oh. But the rest of the game four for sixty six, including a couple of really nice grabs, including one kind of behind his body, nice hands catch, And yeah, the Bills offense was rolling against what had been a really good Titans defense in the first half and really the most of this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had a quick turnaround on a nickname too. Mary Cooper's been a Bill for less than a week. He's already super Cooper. So you guys too, I mean, this is what the Bills can do. It is impressive that it came against this Titans defense because that's been their strength all year. While their offense has struggled with no matter who's playing quarterback, their defense has been very consistent. So to get blasted like that in the second half it is very disappointing. But then again, this is a team that's one in five, and when stacked up against Super Bowl contenders, push usually comes to shove and the better team emerges. And that's kind of what we saw from today from Josh Allen. You love it statistically twenty one to thirty three, three twenty three, two touchdowns. All right, Josh, back on the horse, give me a reason to move you up to QB Index this week.
Speaker 1: He was fine, he was great in the second half. They started the game with three straight three and outs. They were disjointed where even when he was protected well, he wasn't finding open receivers. So they punted five out of six drives in the first half and the only offense they were really getting were from these kind of scrambled drill plays to Keon Coleman, which which worked yeah, all day.
Speaker 7: Ultimately they had those three and outs, nothing was going on, and then Keon Coleman shakes loose where the Titans defense just lose track of him to get forty yards. James Cook scores on the next play, and then Buffalo proceeds to score every score for the remainder of the game. It was thirty four and answered points. Wow, down ten to nothing to winning thirty four to ten. Where you see the promise of Amari Cooper's route running on the touchdown, it kind of freeze Keon up to do the things that the Keon kind of excels at and where it's not Keon outside having to get open against the one and versus. You know, a good opportunity against the Titans team that's playing their backup quarterback. I know you can make the case that Mason Rudolph might give the team a better chance to win film will Lewis, Okay, the case has been made. But regardless, a good opportunity to work Amari Cooper in and the results have us feeling a whole lot better about the Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lewis, was a kind of surprise late week inactive. I watched that Titans game later in the week, and that was a cry for help from Levis. Now he might have been playing hurt with the shoulder injury, and that was part of it. But it was one of the worst games that I've seen by any quarterback all season, and Rudolph was better for them and kind of avoided making the mistakes that killed that would kill you. He did have an interception, but their offensive line was terrible, so I'm not putting it too much on him or like Tony Pollard. I swear Tony Polter's playing like a pro bowler. Yeah, like maybe the best that Tony Polter's ever played, and then that results in sixteen for sixty one. The offensive line was just dominated in this game, and that's that's what the Bills will give you. Like people are so caught up on the wide receivers, but their defensive line is winning week after week. Greg Russo had six quarterback hits in this game. That's the most of any player in any game all season. He was awesome. Aj Epenesa was awesome. Ed Oliver's playing well, and then the offensive line is protecting Josh Allen against a pretty good pass rush, like tons of time giving him time to find Dalton Kincaid down the field. Khalios shook here plays well like I thought it was really impressive. One thing to keep an eye on is DeAndre Hopkins only had one catch for negative two yards and was out late in this game. He said it was soreness. He's getting talked about as a trade candidate. I don't know. I was kind of wondering, that feels strong. What was kind of wondering here? It was like a veteran thing where the game was over and they were just kind of sitting him and you know, take take them out at the end of the game, and yeah, it's ugly. We'll see if Rudolph gets another start. Not sure if it matters too much. By the way, Nick Folk has hit eighty straight kicks under forty yards. They said that in the game. I was like, wait, what you say? Eighty straight field goals under forty yards? Eighty that's two hundred and forty points. How many years is that over? That's just an amazing feat by Nick Folks. So I just wanted to give shut out to him a little bit of love. Bills at five and two and right now in control of the a FC East, We'll take a quick break and we're going to go to the NFC. Talk about a team that's control that division. Two right after the break.
Speaker 5: Third and nine at the twenty five yard line, Sanders could have.
Speaker 3: Left the Dulton free Ruster coming off the edge.
Speaker 18: Thurstick Pecky Lovo put to me, hey, guys, streaking down the sideline thirty twenty ten five cuck down, touch down, walking down.
Speaker 4: On Bolling alone.
Speaker 1: That was Dante Fowler on the sixty seven yard interception return Bram Weinstein wb IG. The Commanders put it on the Panthers forty to seven. Not shocking, I guess, knowing these two teams, but a little shocking that Jayden Daniels was only in this game for one drive, a field goal drive left with the rib injury. They said they'll do further tests, but there's been multiple reports, including from our Camwolf of NFL Network, that it's nothing serious. So a rare game shook where your franchise quarterback gets hurt and you can still enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yourself and Cliff Kingsbury's offense proved to be quarterback proof. Let's go down the drive chart, Okay, first drive, punt three and out right, then we go touchdown, field goal, touchdown, touchdown, field goal, field goal. End of game. Marcus whoa fantastic as a veteran backup as he should. He was improvised and he was dotting the field with throws. They were running the ball with authority with Brian Robinson. They couldn't be stopped. They were on fire. And it helps when you pick off Andy Dalton twice in the first quarter and bury the Panthers before they even have a chance to get out of bed.
Speaker 1: Wow, Mariota in this game, I spot for him. I mean, you get to play against the Panthers, sure, but to go seven for nine for one hundred and twenty seven yards on throws, I think it was over fifteen yards or over ten yards. So these weren't just no not digging than Duncan dinks and dunks. You're right about it being quarterback proof like I saw it. Like early in this game, Terry McLaurin had won for three yards about halfway through the third second quarter and the score is already twenty to nothing at that point, and I'm thinking I made a mistake starting scary Terry. You know today in fantasy he's gonna end with one catch for three yards because you're just going to run the ball the rest of the game. But no, he ends up with six for ninety eight and Mariota and they were throwing the ball the whole game. I appreciate it. Thank you, Cliff Kingsbury, Thank you Marcus Mariota.
Speaker 2: Put on the gas all game, baby, because they don't stop. Doesn't matter if you know Jane Daniels is in or Marcus Mariota's in, or I threw up by thirty points, does not matter. In fact, at one point the broadcast team was like, hey, Marcus, gotta be a little careful here. We don't know if Jane Daniels is going to be out multiplease. He can't be taking hits like this because he's scrambling two and all over the field. It was probably.
Speaker 1: Marcus Mariota has ever been careful and he never will be never. No, it was not.
Speaker 2: The guy who caught his own is the guy who caught his own pass and dove for the pylon for a touchdown. This guy does not know how to.
Speaker 3: Be careful and got in when it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and got in. Yeah, he got in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Most lopsided game I think I've seen all year. The Panthers are a bad football team. They're undoubtedly the worst football team in the NFL, and I'm kind of curious about what their plan is with Bryce Young because they were down by so much. You thought, well, third quarter, late third quarter, put him in. They put him in for the last drive of like three and a half minutes left. He finished two for two for negative four yards. That's not gonna help the kids. So I don't know what's going on there, But they're not a good football team. We already knew that.
Speaker 1: They said they would keep playing Andy Dalton. What do you think, yeah.
Speaker 7: At a certain point, help your football team like playing Andy Dalton right now? That does that get any part of the best case scenario? Considering the Panthers are at one and six, get Bryce Young some good reps, and if you don't want Bryce Young to be a part of your program anymore, try to get some value and demonstrate value for Bryce Young and get him somewhere else.
Speaker 1: The problem with that is thinking that any of these quarterbacks could succeed. This is just a mistake after mistake after mistake in terms of personnel and switching coaches, and like Andy Dalton's eleven for ninety sixteen for ninety three yards and two touchdowns a QBR of three, I don't know if I've ever seen that before. I mean, they can't They can't do anything, so why would it work with It's not gonna work with either.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. It's not working. Do we need to see more Andy Dalton? Is this?
Speaker 1: Now, that's the thing.
Speaker 7: We need to evaluate Andy Dalton's performance in this offense where you're playing up against a Marcus Mariota led Commander's team where we just talked like Marcus is haf ovens celebrating up and down the field.
Speaker 3: He's almost leading the team and carries He's got one less carry.
Speaker 7: Than Brian Robinson Junior ultimately at the end of the game, but finishes with eleven b rob had twelve.
Speaker 19: But I'm just I'm not sure what we're getting and what the value is. Oh yeah, none. I mean this this team stinks. They've been outscored two hundred and fifty seven to ninety six. So you feel for Dave Canalis, but you also have to recognize, like he's not doing a good good job. That the situation and the structure and everything that they've set up that they decided to go with continuity in their front office, and you know, you have to look at the top of like how an organization gets to this level. And as Joe Person writes every week for The Athletic, there is no rock bottom. Like people like to say, oh, this is rock bottom. It's like no, just wait till next week, right.
Speaker 2: And what they exist in rock bottom right.
Speaker 1: And Washington is an example of like how an organization can change on a dime like that if you get the quarterback pick right along with a coaching staff. And look, they've done a good job their defense. I know it's been beating up on bad offenses for the most part, although they did pretty well against the Cardinals who are so their defense has really improved the last three weeks. It's a fun matchup next week. Caleb Williams will see if Jayden Daniels is back for that game. Let's let's listen to the good vibes with Dan Quinn in that locker room.
Speaker 12: We got stronger this week, all right.
Speaker 1: We said we had to we find the edges, all right, to say can we find the next gear?
Speaker 12: And you did that tonight, man, So you got one guy set it off today.
Speaker 3: That is a custom celebration for Frankie Louvu.
Speaker 2: And it's cool because Dante Fowler wears six and gotta pick six.
Speaker 1: There we go, Commander's social right there. Appreciate the footage. I watch a lot of these locker room and I just think, I mean, every happy, every winning locker room is happy. But I think the commanders are the happiest they have. They have the best vibes right now they are winning the vibe off. Let's go to London where good vibe in the crowd before the game. Not such great vibes for these two teams.
Speaker 17: Huge booming putting all the way down to the fall for Paula Washington, he gets out to the ten to the fifties, go Puka, twenty five, thirty forty fifty.
Speaker 4: It's already the plug today. He's gonna go all.
Speaker 17: The way thirty twenty five, twenty fifteen, ten five touchdown, Jacksonville Hussy stops at the episode, fools backwards into it. I'm not saying huge, huge play in terms of the momentum of this game.
Speaker 1: Parker Washington taking it all the way from the four yard line ninety.
Speaker 17: Six yards for the Jacksonville Jockuars touchdown.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Parker Washington, thank you.
Speaker 1: For giving us a highlight thank you for giving us the first special team's touchdown in London game's history. And thank you to Will Gavin of talkSPORT Nay, Will Gavin of NFL Daily last Sunday's recap show, he did a bang up job and now he's doing play by play over there. Yes, the London games are over for the year and they were treated to an excellent performance from their hometown Jaguars thirty two to sixteen in this matchup, Jaguars, when we got some good quarterback play, we got some points, we got a long touchdown, we got a Will Gavin radio call. What else could we ask for?
Speaker 2: Nick Schuck, Actually, honestly, I don't think anything. I think it was best perfect well unless.
Speaker 1: You right game better teams, But I'm saying in the situation we were given, I'm giving it eight and a half out of ten.
Speaker 2: And something about the Will Gavin call there just like it was like music to my ears. It was almost like poetry. And Parker Washington is the perfect name for a London game. It was fantastic.
Speaker 3: A fielding at punt on the four yard line.
Speaker 7: Watching this for work, I'm like cause the game starts with a long Patriots drive ultimately concluding in a Jamichael Hasty touchdown. And I'm thinking, this is the Jags, this is the twenty twenty four Jacksonville Jaguars. And I was just so ready for disappointment at every available opportunity. And Parker Washington goes, he catches that ball at the four, here.
Speaker 3: Comes a muff or something.
Speaker 7: He's gonna a teammate's gonna run into him, the ball's gonna pop out, Patriots gonna score. No, not today. Today was a day for the Jags and a lot of success. Parker Washington emblematic of that, and also a nice game from Brian Thomas Junior as well.
Speaker 3: Good to see, good Jags. Congratulations Doug Peterson.
Speaker 1: Yes, Doug Peterson with that NFL Network halftime interview with Steve Weisch back to back weeks, and really their trip could be told by those two interviews. The first one I heard someone say, like, people don't need to worry about man, who was it that the Jags quitting on him? They gotta worry about Doug quitty on the Jags. He seems sick of his players last week and in general, and this week though after a second quarter where yeah, I think they put up twenty four points in the second quarter after falling down ten to nothing. They needed that. And yeah, you mentioned the Patriots started this game looking very good on offense. Two long drives for ten points. They get the ten to nothing lead. But like it's been the rest of the year, it's not one thing for the Patriots. Everything's bad. Now. Their quarterback's pretty good, Jake May's playing well. Yeah, but their defense is one of, if not the league's worst. Their special teams are terrible. You just saw it. And yeah, in the secondary, I just want to give some love to Brian Thomas Junior. I mean him getting open against Christian Gonzalez and the late hands, contested catch for a big play down the field. Then just a fantastic route where I swear Gonzales didn't play these two plays badly. He was in good position, and good offenses beats good defense sometimes in a great two point conversion. He finishes five for eighty nine for a touchdown. He is legit. Tank Bigsby ran hard at hell gets one hundred and eighteen yards for two touchdowns. And Trevor Lawrence played awesome led the NFL and EPA on this Sunday and so yeah, they need to be an offense first team shook and they were. They really dominated the game when they had the ball. They just did not let the Patriots defense get off the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they had a stretch in the second half where they ran the ball like almost twenty straight times. Kret is an emphatic run right there, Tank Begsby. By the way, we lose sight of the players who are performing well on bad teams, right and the Jaguars in two and five still qualify as a bad team. But you have Brian Thomas. He's gotten the traction because he's a rookie receiver. He's the latest example of a receiver that's almost a finished product coming out of college. That's just the generation that we're dealing with now a receiver. But Tank Bigsby has been playing well all year. I mean he's been outperforming Travis Etn. Etn doesn't go today. It Tanks time to shine, and he shines on the international stage. So let's give him a little tip of the cap. People pay attention to him. If you're playing fantasy, pick him up.
Speaker 1: Right, it almost could have been worse than this game. They on that drive where they just kept running, running, and running. They ran one too many times and got stopped on a fourth and goal inside the five, and so the Patriots had a little bit of life and Drake may led them on a scoring drive. My Drake May review, He's the only good thing about this team. I think this game was different where the highs weren't as high and the lows weren't as low, and he just for the most part, made good decisions, was inaccurate. A couple times could have been picked off once or twice, and then people, you know, the box score wouldn't look as good. But overall he has zero running game. You know, Rimandre goes seven for eighteen, zero schematic help, no offensive line help, and his defense is terrible. So I have major doubts about this coaching staff, and girod Mayo has major doubts just about everything right now.
Speaker 20: What I would say is, look, we're a soft football team across the board. We talk about what makes a tough football team. That's being able to run the ball, that's being able to stop the run, and that's being able to cover kicks, and we did none of those today. They controlled the ball for mosty you know, their run game average over four and a half yards of carry our run game. Not sure what the average was, but it wasn't good.
Speaker 1: No, it was not. It was two point five, by the way, and it would have been a lot lower if not for Drake May's couple uh scrambles. Drod Me get gets mad and I like that he just speaks his mind and says what he says. But when he says we're sloppy, and there was a ton of offensive like pre snap penalties, and when he says we're soft, like he's saying I'm soft, I'm sloppy, because that's what he's he's coaching right now. They are not a well coached team. Let's go to Indianapolis where they couldn't open the dome on a beautiful day. Technical difficulties for the second time this year. Let's get that cleaned up Colts. But at least they cleaned up their defense. Nine to fifteen and counting. Here in the third quarter, Richardson out of the gun ball in the far hatch. Two receivers go to the left, one goes to the right.
Speaker 4: Richardson right up the touchdown. The red Sea parted.
Speaker 11: It's Tyler Goodson right up the gun from seven yards away touchdown n D.
Speaker 4: Why it's ten to nine on the rule Morgan storeboard.
Speaker 1: W F N I Matt Taylor. Every time I look up the last three weeks, Tyler Goodson's making a play. He's a player. Got juice, Got a little bit of juice or the tray sermon. Colts get another win without Jonathan Taylor, this time with Anthony Richardson sixteen to ten. Patrick, you liked my theory. This was a big game in the AFC because these are two teams that I don't think have played really well, and one of them was going to come out of this game like in good shape playoff wise, and the Colts have a winning record even if it hasn't been.
Speaker 3: Pretty, and it holds true.
Speaker 7: It holds true after the game you look at the way that things line up. Where Anthony Richardson did not have a great game. He had a fumble in the red zone. Both of these teams committed a litany of turnovers, bad turnovers. There was a fullback fumble that came out from I'm blanking on the the Finns alec Ingold had a fumble. We got punched out by the Colts defense. Richardson had his bad one, but ultimately kicks. Matt Gay hit a fifty two yarder to go in to the break. Jason Sanders had one slide off to the edge and ultimately that that turns out to be the difference the Anthony Richardson solid in the run game as well today, wound up being the leading rusher, got fifty six yards on fourteen carries. But it was one of those type scattershot games where the Colts kind of showed their weaknesses and a weak team going up against a TUA lead Dolphins team.
Speaker 3: This is this is easy fins. Win.
Speaker 7: Is the win that we've seen the past few years, but without even Tyler Huntley because Tim Boyles in this game late shook this.
Speaker 3: This is what we get from Miami.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as well, concerning from a Colts perspective, just because I'm sitting here thinking, look, you're playing Tyler Huntley and Tim Boyle and you can only buster this. This Miami defense is not that good. What is going on with this offense? Anthony Richardson, he finished his ten for twenty four. You added, you know, the fifty six yards in the ground, so he did his part. It's just that you know, he comes back from mission a couple of weeks and they're not the same well oiled mission machine they were with Joe Flacco, at least through the air. But it's still a harder and win because you hold the opposition to ten points. Your defense has given up massive sums in many games this year, including that loss to Jacksonville. So it's a small victory on top of the actual victory. From a Dolphins perspective. You get, you know, almost two hundred rushing yards between the combination of a chan Moster Jalen Wright and then at another twenty from Huntley before he leaves, and yet you still only get ten points. Like, I feel very bad for Dolphins fans right now because they are just stuck in this waiting game, waiting to see win and if and win two comes back, and until then they're just not a high potential offense.
Speaker 1: Well, they're only going to wait another week. According to expectations, he's eligible to come off i R next week. Diana Rossini reported that the expectation was he was going to play next week, and Mike McDaniel's kind of telegraph that I have a miss from the future. Nick two is not saving this team. This team has so many problems. I'm not like buying that Tua is gonna like Mike McDaniel's not coaching this team well at all. The fact that going to the backup quarterback causes your passing game to collapse this much. I don't think two is gonna save it. It'll be significantly better, but they need it to be great or even good, and I have doubts about that. Any system where Jalen Waddle and Tyreek Hill go two for nineteen combined. Tyrek Hill didn't have a catch in this game until there was like two minutes left. I think they're gonna have issues. And offensive line is the reason, is one of the reasons why the backup quarterbacks are struggling so much. They're just it's not a well run, well coached team. I know the defense has been a little better the last couple of weeks, but I don't know. Man Obj comes out there, has a couple of targets, has a drop, he made a little cameo. I just something's off with this team. Any other coach I think would be getting on if their backup quarterbacks were like this bat It shouldn't be this big of a cliff. Right.
Speaker 2: No, every time I see a shot of Mike McDaniel on the sideline, he just looks lost. He looks like he doesn't know where he is, or he doesn't want to be there if he knows where he is.
Speaker 1: I saw him laughing with Tyreek Hill and Waddle. They actually were like in a good mood at that point. They were winning the game. They were up ten three in this game, and they were all kind of like laughing. And at that point, Wattle and Hill I think had no catches. So I was like, what are they laughing about? Like, are they like laughing about how we like our quarterbacks can't get us the ball? Like, yeah, that would be my guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it's it's Tim Boyle.
Speaker 7: They're looking over and it's like, oh, yeah, that's a rough one for till.
Speaker 3: How's he still here?
Speaker 7: There's so many different ways that you could take the Miami Dolphins offense. It wasn't good against better teams in the stretch where Tua was there. Now that I do think the difference is at least at least two touchdowns in this game.
Speaker 1: Right, Sure, it would have helped, at the very least it would have.
Speaker 7: Helped in this game. But yeah, there's there's overall problems, and teams go through lulls. We've seen contenders go through lulls. The Bills just went and got Amark Cooper and in the middle of one of their lulls, and yeah, I saw them explode out of that.
Speaker 1: Their season's been a low though, so we'll see. I mean, but I'm looking forward to him atturning because it gives us another team. Otherwise, this team is just like a dead team walking Devon h Chan after the game. And yes, they started running the ball better last week, so that's a really good sign. Devan h Chan said after the game. It's not like teams are better than us, like all these losses were losing our one score games. No you got to spot but no, wait, no, no, no, But it's actually just factually completely untrue. They lost thirty one to ten to the Bills, twenty four to three to the Seahawks, and thirty one to twelve to the Titans, so literally this was their first time that they had a one score loss. They've gotten crushed every week. They've been one of the worst teams in the league, so maybe they're lucky to be two and four. Their season is not quite over. That is true as well of the winner of the Sofi Bowl. Yes it's Raiders Rams, one of the teams needed to get a w and keep their season alive.
Speaker 11: One eight on the clock, no timeouts remaining for the visitors, snap back, Rams coming after them.
Speaker 1: Minshew to his end zone.
Speaker 11: Now Flood's right points downfield, pros against his.
Speaker 4: Body, pitch intercepted, take it away again at the thirty.
Speaker 1: This game is over.
Speaker 18: Jalen mccolor calls game.
Speaker 1: Love that call for my friend JB. Long on KSP and JB Long gotta be joining me on the TNF recap this week. Vikings Rams, so check that out later in the week. And that game is going to mean a little bit more for the Rams because they got their second win of the year twenty to fifteen. It was fitting Patrick that the defense did it because this was a rare Rams win that was led by the defense. They got stops all over the place. The twenty points that the Rams scored on offense were all off turnovers that the Rams defense created.
Speaker 7: And coming into the game, I'm thinking Jared Versus is going to have a game. We were all celebrating and wide eyed at the Aid O'Connell's stat about zero scramble yards in his entire career.
Speaker 3: But then Aid O'Connell's knocked out of the game.
Speaker 7: So incomes Gardner Minshew and you're like, oh, I got some more mobility back there. Jared Verse had nine pressures in this game on thirty six pass rushes.
Speaker 3: He was dominant.
Speaker 7: Minshew did the Minshew thing where now you've got this injury to Aid and O'Connell. A couple of with Tody candidates were added to the list of this week.
Speaker 1: But Tody is the worst throw of the year, just to be clear, But yes, Gardner Minsche's first interception was was his specialty, the combination of awful decision and awful execution.
Speaker 3: Yeah, roll into the sideline.
Speaker 7: You're gonna have to either put that ball in the stands or throw it in a very small spot. Instead, alects to throw it directly to the defender, which is now something that's happened twice on the season for Gardner Minshew. The other applicant was Andy Dalton today but just a rough game where you think the Rams have this game him in the back, but some late effort from Alexander Madison and Brock Bauers, who is essentially this entire offense ten catches for ninety four yards doing all he can with not a lot around him, including at the quarterback position, either one of them.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, it's I swear every time I watch the Raiders, I just realized that Alexander Madison and Brock Bowers are the only things that are worth watching offensively, especially now that Devonte Adams has gone.
Speaker 1: I mean that the Alexander Madison. That's like, no one said anything that nice about Alexander Madison. Wow, he's fine. I just mean, like, I'm not like getting off my cut. Sorry, Nick fran That's how low they are.
Speaker 2: That's how bad this offense is. Especially if the losing Devontae Adams, you just don't have a lot of options, and especially the complete instability at quarterback. So it was interesting to see how they'd match up against this team. And you're right, Patrick, I love Jared ver since he was at Florida State. I thought they had a steal of a pick in him when they got him in the draft, and he balls out today. He's been having a pretty good year overall, but in this matchup, you're looking at the Rams, who also lack talent at receivers still, and they have to claw their way into this game or to be able to win this game. I mean, you know, you finish the Raiders turn the ball over four times and you'll win by five points, and it comes down to a pick at the end of the game. I think, Yeah, just the state of both these teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good call. Stafford only ends up with one hundred and fifty four yards in this game. He has an interception. Minshew ends up with one hundred and fifty four yards on thirty four attempts and three interceptions, one of the worst stat lines of the year. Brock Bauers is the best tight end in the league. I just believe it, at least just receiving tight end. I don't know if you want to like, oh, you know, he doesn't block as I don't know, he's I think he's that good, he's that talented. Love watching this this kid play. And I did get some notes from Jordan rod Rieg, who was, you know, at this game. Obviously she noted, you know, the changes they've made in the secondary for the Rams have really paid off. They They've got Cam click curl closer to the line of scrimmage. They've got Quinton Lake is now playing there and he's kind of lining everyone up and it's helping the communication. Darius Williams Kobe Durant had a game here, so they've been way more cohesive. And yes, it was against the Raiders, but they did it against the Packers too, and they look like they were figuring it out then. So I think the offense though she says it's not just about the injuries. They're they're missing a lot of assignments and Cooper Cup is expected to return on Thursday, and so that's gonna help. But in her opinion, you know, Cooper Cup is not going to just fix all the issues. They are having a lot of problems and you're you're shaking your head, Nick Schook. Offensively, they're they're not where they were a year ago. It's really Kyra Williams and that's about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, even Stafford the last couple of weeks has tried his best to throw them to victory or throw them into a competitive situation, and you know he didn't. He threw a pick today and more often than not, it's kind of burned him in the last few weeks, and you look at them overall and you think, well, injuries and everything, they kind of look like a bad football team with a good quarterback who's kind of doing too much to try to keep them alive. So it's good to see them win this game, but like, I really need them to support him a little bit better so that he doesn't have to play hero ball every week.
Speaker 1: Right. Their defense really carried the day today, gets them to two and four and gets them at least trying to stay relevant ahead of this trade deadline. They're an interesting team to watch. There are some reports that Cup could be available that would be interesting, that there are teams certainly that would think about it. It's a big game for them Thursday night against the Vikings, and yes, Jordan points out that Stafford might be playing his way off of QB Island, but he's got he's got one more game before we vote again. Great performance today by Patrick claybun but most importantly, great performance by Patrick's kids who are back in the control room.
Speaker 3: Extended scream Tom, they're doing great. Yeah, well we'll see you.
Speaker 1: Got a daddy is amazing. Oh, there's a lot of buttons back here. They are in all of the studio.
Speaker 7: It's the upset of the year that none of those buttons have been not just pressed but smashed, especially by the big.
Speaker 1: No sticky buttons. They've been awesome. I love it. And yeah, thanks to to Patrick for for showing up for work when when no when when? Hey, uh no childcare? Help tonight Angel City's playing and h you're in the studio, so I appreciate you. And speaking of kids, actually, that reminds me. We were doing the Lions game earlier and I was going to play a message I got from Walker just unprompted. He sent me a voice memo during the game. So let's let's see what he had to say. Jimmy, I say, okay, yeah, he's saying about four more of those because he has Jamior Gibbs and his fantasy team and I was going up against Jamiir Gibson. He was enjoyed that performance. I wasn't my team he was going against, but he knew he knew what he was doing. He to rub it in and we're gonna take a problem locking, all right, So we're gonna we're gonna say goodbye to the Clay bonds and we're gonna finish off this show with a little Sunday Night football Shook, stick around.
Speaker 4: Wilson gets the snap, looking, looking.
Speaker 11: Firing, has Jefferson touchdown Pittsburgh Steelers, And that's what.
Speaker 4: You wanted to see.
Speaker 14: That is just a great throw, a great confident throw by a quarterback.
Speaker 10: Not and I'm not just disabusing anything that Justin Fields has done.
Speaker 5: But that's a solid outpattern to Jefferson, and what a great catch, and.
Speaker 3: What a nice exclamation point on it.
Speaker 1: That was the exclamation point on a thirty seven to fifteen Steelers victory on Sunday Night football. Hell, they added another exclamation point, give it the double Slammer. Later in the game, Nazie Harris got into a second half to remember in a blowout victory for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Shook and U didn't expect the score when it was fifteen to six and the Jets had the ball with one minute left in the second quarter. But that's what happens when you go to Akerscher in the middle.
Speaker 2: It happens when you go to mister unlimited. Here you go and he drops thirty one straight on you. The Steelers offense humming For the most part, he's dropping dimes all over the place with a touch pass. That not to take away from anything from Justin fields just like you're heard on the call. But I don't know if there's a couple of throws that Russell made that could that Justin was able to throw. That's what he brings the offense to get it done in the red zone. They had the kapper at the end. Tell you what those who criticize this switch, myself included, well, we're eating a little bit of crow. It's only one game, but we are eating a little bit of crow because they looked real good on offense tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a different Steelers offense over four hundred yards, you know, the top thirty two points for the second week in a row. First time they've done that without Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback since Cordell Stewart back in the day. Look, I don't think we need to overreact. Russell Wilson played well in the second half. I thought his biggest completions weren't on great throws, a couple underthrown passes where Pickens comes back for the ball. Firemuth has an insane one handed catch, Calvin Austin makes a great catch. The offense was just better overall. The offensive line was good. Naje Harris ends up getting one hundred and two yards. Jalen Warren makes positive plays for seemingly the first time all season. Maybe he's getting healthy. And yes, Chris Collinsworth pointed out late in the game, they just got a little more vertical and everyone stepped up. Russell Wilson started the game so poorly the crowd was booing him out of the stadium after four or five drives. It's crazy how quickly this changes. And that's why I go back to that fifteen to six score late in the first half. I'm not gonna kill Aaron Rodgers for the throw that Beanie Bishop picked off is a one handed play by Bishop. He ends up getting a second interception later in the game off a drop on a throw that goes right off Garrett Wilson's chest. The first throw is also to Wilson, but that play by Bishop. They end up capitalizing with a nice touchdown from Russell Wilson. The pickings that cut the lead to fifteen thirteen at halftime, and it really changed the game. So to me, it was the total team, the Steelers defense is better than the Jets. This Jets defense is not good stopping the run, and tonight they had players hurt in their secondary, and they weren't good stop in the pass either, Whereas the Steelers defense gives you all you can handle. Very physical, you know, Deshaun Elliott's back there hitting TJ. Watts doing TJ Watt things. Alex Highsmith was active in this game, Ogunjobi, and they're just a pretty complete team now when they get their offensive line playing pretty well like they did tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got Peyton Wilson chasing people down in the flat. Yeah, I mean, it's they're a complete team. You're right. You know, this is a team that was kind of becoming famous for being able to win despite breaking three hundred yards offense. They did it a few times in the first six weeks of the season tonight four h nine. But the most impressive to me, more than anything, the most impressive element of it was they were the more physical team on both sides of the ball. Like, look, that's Steelers football, right, They're always gonna be a tough, physical team. But they were remarkably more physical than the Jets were at the point of attack and on both sides of the ball, And I felt that's really what defined their comeback because they're winning at the point of attack and the domination just in the physical game. They willed their way into the lead and then just put the Jets into submission, just drove it home with the physical play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Jets look so despondent at the end of this game. They're two to five, they fired their coach, they lose. They tried for DeVante Adams, they lose. DeVante Adams ends up with three for thirty not that involved in the second half of this game. The Rogers threw the ball to him nine times and for only thirty yards. Their best offense was really short pass is to Breeze Hall that he ends up, you know, breaking for some long receptions one hundred and three yards, including a fifty seven yard er. But he's just having to get rid of the ball so quickly for them to make plays, and it's just not happening when he's holding onto the ball. I'm sure they'll have better days, including next week. They'll beat the Patriots to get to three and five, and their schedule is pretty favorable down the stretch in general. So I'm not ready to, you know, totally dig dirt on them, but it's a whole team thing. And and Patrick and I. Patrick put him on fraud Watch a while ago, so have I, and you know, they just they they're they're not a complete team. They have all sorts of problems. Everything's just like a little below average, including their defense. Getting rid of Sala has not helped their defense soccer.
Speaker 2: No, And the worst part is is the whole Reddick thing, the fact that he's going to come back this week. It feels like another grab at straws. You know, it's all right, let's go get Davanta to fix our passing game, Let's go get Reddick. And they need him, they absolutely need him. But this guy who hasn't been with the team the whole time. So it's just like they're in desperation mode. And when you don't win, despite making desperate moves that you think are going to make your team better, that just starts to build up. I do agree there is a path of sorts for them to get back into it, but they're going to start to run out of time. They got to figure it out, and you know, the short passing game that's been their offense all year is just it didn't work tonight against the Steelers. It will work in the future, but I need to see more from them right now. You're right, just not a complete team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you helped me out here as the host. We have not mentioned on the show that Hassan Reddick is coming back, so yes, that's the big addition for this week. I was wondering what the Jets or Aaron Rodgers was gonna do to kind of shake up the narrative, and that was it. And they get the perfect week to play the Patriots and try to get back on the winning side of things to get to three and five. We'll see. I have noticed if sas Gardner is sas Gardner a difference maker this year, I would say no, he's not really having a good year. So different things that you would expect this team to be great at, especially at defense, they're not getting it done. But part of that was they were playing a solid Steelers team, where at five and two it's up to the Ravens to match them. On Monday Night Football, and yes, Shook, we will be back the two of us doing the Monday night doubleheader and that just wraps up another Sunday, another joyous Sunday.
Speaker 2: Beautiful one. You know, you know, Greg, I feel like when Russell Wilson is rolling out, no he touchdown passes to Van Jefferson.
Speaker 1: You can't just do this, you can't just try to set me up. But you're you are absolutely right, Bill. Yeah, we're playing this music. Here we go. Do we needed the music? I just want to thank everyone here stage, claybon K, Malcolm claybon in the studios, Eric Randy behind the glass doing a great job, Nick Shook and Patrick and you're right. When the Jets are blowing games in primetime and the Steelers are finding ways to win, you know football is back.