Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: I'm the most trusted journalists at Comedy Center.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 2: This is the daily joke with your host Jaseylon.
Speaker 4: I'm Daddie Lighter.
Speaker 5: We've got so much to cover tonight. Alison Breeze joining us, Charlemagne.
Speaker 4: The God is gonna give us a meal.
Speaker 5: Mandatory di seminar plus and you're never gonna believe this.
Speaker 4: Fox News got very mad for a very stupid reason. Let's get into the headlines.
Speaker 5: This past Sunday was Easter at the White House, which is an important holiday for President Joe Biden, who is also counting on a resurrection for his campaign. But unfortunately, this year, the timing of Easter caused a bit of a headache for Joe.
Speaker 1: The Biden administration is firing back at conservative criticism over the White House acknowledgment of the Transgender Day of Visibility, which coincidentally falls on Easter Sunday this year.
Speaker 4: The two days only coincided by chance.
Speaker 5: The Day of Visibility is held every year on March thirty first, while the date for Easter changes year to year. Yes by total coincidence, Transvisibility day happened to fall on Easter this year, which seemed like, I don't know, a good fit to me. I mean, Jesus did identify as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 4: Live your truth, queen. Now, you wouldn't think.
Speaker 5: That Easter falling on a holiday that's been on March thirty first for fifteen years would be that big of a deal. But conservatives process this like a child meeting the Easter Bunny by losing their minds.
Speaker 4: I think everyone should be insulted by this. The intentional nature of this.
Speaker 3: To me is I mean, I'm just going to say it. I think it's a demonic.
Speaker 5: They clearly want us to bow at the altar of the trans community instead of bow to God.
Speaker 4: We can't have one day for Easter.
Speaker 6: What the hell was Biden thinking when he declared Easter Sunday to be Transvisibility Day. Such total disrespect to Christians. And November fifth is going to be called something else. You know, it's going to be called Christian Visibility Day when Christians turn out at numbers that nobody has ever seen.
Speaker 5: Before America, Buddy, every day is Christian visibility there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Conservatives threw.
Speaker 5: A hissy fit over this, including Donald Trump, who, by the way, is not exactly an authority on Christianity.
Speaker 7: I'm wondering what one or two of your most favorite Bible verses are.
Speaker 3: Why I wouldn't want.
Speaker 6: To get into it, because to me, that's very personal.
Speaker 3: You don't want to talk about the Bible.
Speaker 7: It's very personal, So I don't.
Speaker 3: Want to get into I don't want to get into.
Speaker 4: Means a lot to you that you think about her site.
Speaker 6: The Bible means a lot to me, but I don't want to get into specifics. The Old Testament guy or New Testament probably equal.
Speaker 5: Trump talks about Christianity the way I sounded every book club.
Speaker 4: Oh my favorite part of the book. I'd have to.
Speaker 5: Say the title and the symbolism, all the symbols. Definitely not hiding for my husband and children.
Speaker 4: I also love that he.
Speaker 5: Says I can't talk about it, it's too personal. Like he also has an nda with the Bible.
Speaker 4: Don't believe that horse based Bible. But that's my Trump impression.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'll work chop it, Oh, workp it.
Speaker 5: Trump beside, I have a question for the actual religious conservatives, why are you so upset about this transvisibility day had no effect on your Easter. Nobody was at church like, well, we were going to celebrate the resurrection, but instead everyone line up for your gender reassignment surgery. Please leave your penis in the collection basket. The anger just seems so contrived, especially when the people who were the most outraged knew so little about the actual holiday they were protecting, and.
Speaker 9: The transgender community purposely chooses the day of Jesus's death. There is resurrection whatever Easter weekend, Yeah, you know Easter.
Speaker 5: It was Jesus' king Sanira, or the day he was forced to leave the Big Brother House.
Speaker 4: Whatever, But I'll.
Speaker 5: Ask him about it the next time I go to the you know what's the place with all the lowercase teas hanging on the wall that the half maked.
Speaker 4: A church, church that fit church.
Speaker 5: And you know what, the Fox audience deserves a higher level of con artistry than this Jesse Waters. If you can remember the Green Eminem's entire sexual history, you can Wikipedia what Easter is. Look, I'm not here to pick a fight with Easter. Easter's great, probably our best holiday, featuring a bunny who crawled out of a nightmare, but the level of outrage over. This is totally out of proportion to what ultimately was an innocuous scheduling conflict. I just I wish I knew the real reason they were upset. Luckily they left us some Easter eggs.
Speaker 7: It's absurd and Joe Biden should be ashamed of himself and all these people say, yeah, but this is the day we've always recognized Transgender Visibility Day. Well recognize it another day, not on Easter Sunday. It's an affront to the Bible, and quite frankly, it's an affront to biology. There are two genders. People can't just go in and out of one like a revolving door.
Speaker 3: It's not normal.
Speaker 5: Ah, there it is. Thank you least interesting man in the world for saying the quiet part out loud. They don't think Transgender Visibility Day should be moved. They think trans people shouldn't be visible at all. Trans Day of Visibility could have been on National Pastaday and they'd be like, this isn't.
Speaker 4: A front to feticini.
Speaker 5: And for what it's worth, there's a false premise at the heart of this entire controversy, which is that there's even a conflict between trans people and Christianity to begin with, there isn't. In fact, the Bible doesn't say anything about trans people.
Speaker 4: It does, however, say to.
Speaker 5: Love thy neighbor and to not judge other people, and perhaps the most famous of Bible versus.
Speaker 4: Please do not sell me for fifty nine to ninety.
Speaker 3: Nine to come off your label, I know.
Speaker 10: For more on the.
Speaker 5: Controversy, we go Live to the White House with Michael Costa. Michael, you were at the White House Easter egg hunt on Monday.
Speaker 4: What did you find?
Speaker 11: Well, I'll tell you what I found, Desie a ton of Easter eggs. Okay, it turns out you didn't even have to hunt for him. You just wait for the kids to find them and you take them out of their baskets. It's like taking candy from a baby.
Speaker 4: Congratulations.
Speaker 5: I mean more about Easter being pitted against Transvisibility Day. It seems like all this controversy ruined the day for the trans community.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 11: This was the most successful transvisibility day in history. Fox News raised trans awareness for five hundred straight hours. Yeah. And the best part is we'll get another round in a few weeks when Greek Orthodox Easter goes up against Greek Orthodox Transvisibility Day.
Speaker 5: Okay, but then I don't think trans the transgender community wanted this kind of attention.
Speaker 11: Well, look, I can't speak on behalf of the trans community. They've specifically asked me to stop doing that. But it seems to me that anyway a holiday can break through the noise, the better. There's just two many important days to remember Easter, Memorial Day, ourbor Day, my.
Speaker 4: Kid's birthday, which is like every year.
Speaker 11: Supposedly, it's too much, and there's way, there's no way to keep track of all these important days.
Speaker 3: You know, what, DOESNY They need to invent like.
Speaker 11: A spreadsheet, but for days like a calendar one of those things you drained pasta with. That'll never work.
Speaker 5: Okay, But what about conservatives who say this was an attack on Easter?
Speaker 3: Doesy?
Speaker 4: This was good for both holidays?
Speaker 11: What was the last time you saw people this fired up about Easter aka shitty Christmas? But now, thanks to this controversy, everyone and I mean everyone except for Jesse Waters knows what Easter is really about.
Speaker 5: Okay, So you're saying that the clash of the two holidays forced everyone to appreciate the true meaning of each holiday.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 11: The lesson we learned this week is that Americans appreciate holidays more when they're outraged, which is why I believe we need to pit more holidays against each other. Let's put Valentine's Day on the fourth of July. Let's let's move nine to eleven to Halloween. Let's let's move Mother's Day up against Juneteenth. Do you love your mom or do you hate slavery?
Speaker 3: You gotta choose desert.
Speaker 4: Michael, that is.
Speaker 3: Your tough story.
Speaker 4: That is incredibly offensive.
Speaker 11: You see, it's already working.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Michael, Michael Costa, Everyone, welcome back. Charlene mcgog will be joining us, so figure out. You know, all this week I've been sharing my opinions on the news, but I'm not the only one with opinions around here. So here with another installment of in my opinion, is our good friend Charlemagne the God.
Speaker 12: Hey, y'all remember twenty twenty right, Yeah, COVID social distancing murder hornets.
Speaker 3: Yeah you'all forgot about murder hornets? Huh?
Speaker 12: Or maybe you remember our nationwide reckoning with racism. After the murder George Floyd, white people across America looked around and said, wait a second, are we racist? So America took a good hard look at itself and when big corporations sow themselves in the mirror, they said, oh shit, we're white as inequality In corporate America, there are only five black CEOs running Fortune five hundred companies.
Speaker 9: Can see six percent of top executives as black. In terms of the population of the United States, that should be thirteen percent.
Speaker 5: In the video, Nike said, don't pretend there's not a problem in America.
Speaker 9: Critics point out that all of Nike's executives are white.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 12: The board and Knike was so white they were all wearing new balance. And to address this problem, businesses turned to a solution called diversity.
Speaker 3: Equity and Inclusion are DEI.
Speaker 12: It means morefare, hiring policies, new anti discrimination rules for the workplace, and sensitivity training seminars, and the first thing it led to was a shitload of ads.
Speaker 1: Real progress on diversity and inclusion doesn't happen without real work.
Speaker 11: Since Celebrate Diversity into the X one voice remote to discover curated content.
Speaker 12: Today every day, General Mills serves the world by making food, people, love, and inclusion it's one of our secret ingredients.
Speaker 5: At craft times.
Speaker 13: All purpose is to make life delicious, and we believe we can't achieve that. That one essential ingredient diversity. It's diversity that makes life delicious.
Speaker 10: You're on a four hundred dear long journey and scars don't fade, but neither does hope.
Speaker 3: Ask your doctor. Black people are right for you.
Speaker 12: It's nobody's buying baciline because of diversity. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually bought bacoline.
Speaker 3: It's just there, like it comes with the house. Right.
Speaker 12: So that's how things stood in twenty twenty. But that was like fifteen years ago. Today, when people talk about DEI, it's more likely to sound.
Speaker 14: Like this DEI is just a rebranded version of hating white people.
Speaker 5: DEI in this case stands for divisive, erroneous, and insidious.
Speaker 11: DEI, which stands for didn't.
Speaker 14: Earn it, discrimination, exclusion and indoctrination.
Speaker 3: D EI.
Speaker 12: DI stands for doctor dre easy and ICEQ.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: Y'all cheering out there, But do you want with attitude coming to your office?
Speaker 3: These right wingers are crazy, right Jesus. But here's the part where you all stop applauding everything I say.
Speaker 12: The truth about DEI is that, although it's well intentioned, it's mostly garbage. Okay, it's kind of like the Black Little Mermaid. Just because racist hate it doesn't mean it's good. And you know I'm right because every one of you has sat through one of those diversity training sessions and thought this is bullshit.
Speaker 3: And it's not just you.
Speaker 12: Over nine hundred studies have shown that DEI programs don't make the workplace better for minorities. In fact, it can actually make things worse because of the backlash effect.
Speaker 3: Remember Dare from school, y'all remember Dare?
Speaker 12: Yeah, she said whoo, DEI training is like dam for racism, and you.
Speaker 3: All know how effective that was.
Speaker 12: I was sitting there going, oh shit, there's a ton of fun drugs I should try. I didn't even know about Miley, Thanks Officer John. But the biggest failure of DEI is that the number of black people in power at big companies is basically the same as it was five years ago. In fact, maybe the only thing that DEI has accomplished is giving racist white people cover to be openly RACISTDI.
Speaker 9: Breeds complacency, dana and complacency kills.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have doctors who don't know how to perform heart surgery, and we're gonna have planes that are falling out of the sky.
Speaker 4: Boeing recently bragg not about being.
Speaker 11: The best in the business, but about surpassing its diversity quotas.
Speaker 3: Oh goodie, but then not so good.
Speaker 1: A door flying off one of Boeing seven thirty seven supermaxes.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, if I see a black pilot, I'm gonna be like, boy, hope he's qualified.
Speaker 12: I mean, honestly, when I see a black pilot, I'm not worried that we're going to crash.
Speaker 3: I'm worried that we're gonna get pulled over.
Speaker 12: That's right, and no officer, I will not step out of this vehicle, all right. But yeah, they're blaming the EI for everything, even that bridge in Baltimore.
Speaker 3: They called Baltimore's.
Speaker 12: Mayor the DEI mayor, like he was given the job for being black. Then they said the shipping company was too focused on DEI instead of safety. But almost the entire leadership with the company is white, no black people.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 12: If anything, to Baltimore mayor, he should have been the one to make it racist. Just come out like these crackers knocked down my bridge.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, and one of y'all crackers better pay for it. Okay. And honestly, I'm not surprised these programs didn't work. And here's why.
Speaker 12: It's just corporate pr They want good vibes and also they want to cover their ass.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 12: Did you know that if a company gets sued for civil rights violations, just having a DEI program will be counted as evidence in their favor, even if the program doesn't do shit. Okay, it's I have a black friend of the legal system.
Speaker 14: All right.
Speaker 3: We don't need corporate DEI.
Speaker 12: Yes, we want diversity and equity and inclusion, but we don't want it from Vasiline. Although I'm not going to front Vaciline has been there for the black community respect, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right. I'm moisturized. Okay.
Speaker 12: Look, man, real DEI is only going to come from black leadership. I don't know how to do it because I'm not a black leader, but I do know how to tell if it's working. Just keep an eye on right wing media. The more they're freaking out, the more progress we're making.
Speaker 10: Thank you for me all all my guess the night.
Speaker 5: It's an actor who started in the new Peacock series Apples Never Fall. Please welcome Alison grace Yea hello man, thanks for being hoes for having me. I am such a big fan of yours. Thank you true story you have been in.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll tell you more. I will elaborate.
Speaker 5: You've been on two of maybe the biggest television shows known to man community.
Speaker 8: To have the biggest, biggest known to a small.
Speaker 4: Group of very avid fans. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: We appreciate it so fierce fan base and also mad men. But I have to be on if my personal favorite is Glow. I was such a Glow super fan.
Speaker 4: I love my life.
Speaker 8: I know, I loved that of my life. I loved working on Glows so much. I've never felt like more of a badass. Hell yeah, but when I worked on it, we're doing our own stunts. I'm training on flipping women. Let's be honest, I'm getting flipped by women more. And that still felt cool.
Speaker 5: So it was so it was so inspiring. I love that show, and it was a real bummer to all the fans that it didn't come back. But I heard that it opened up an opportunity for you to explore more writing and produce it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, you know, I think there was something just about working with so many women, and that was the first time. I mean the show was created by Liz Flahive and Carly Mench and there were female directors, there were women behind the camera, there were women first ads. Just like in every department, female writers' rooms.
Speaker 3: I mean, like it.
Speaker 8: Sounds like it shouldn't be a thing that you have to say, wow, there were so many women on a set, but there were and even within the cast, you know, we were all learning how to wrestle, and each woman on the show was talented, you know, behind the scenes in their real life. They were dancers, there were singers, there were real wrestlers, and that was really inspiring to me. In the time that I was working on that show. I directed an episode, I wrote a few films that have been made, and like, it was very inspiring to me for sure. So tiring. I'm blushing, being so earnest, earnest, feel so vulnerable, a vulnerable telling.
Speaker 5: You my real feelings. You wear it well, they wear it well. And now you're part of this incredible Ensemble Apples Never Fall. I am obsessed with the show. I'd been in about three days, yes, which tells you how good the mystery is.
Speaker 4: It's a bingeable show.
Speaker 8: I feel like the episodes keep you wanting more.
Speaker 4: The book was great.
Speaker 8: It's based on a book by Leanne Moriarty. She wrote Big Little Lies. Nine Perfect Strangers also been made into buzzy shows, and yeah, it's I think the reason people really connect to it too is that it's about a family and a family that is not perfect, and every family has those idiosyncrasies and you kind of watch this family fall apart and come back together and sort of everybody has to like come to their own truth throughout the course of the.
Speaker 4: Show, and that they get stronger. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it explores all of these interesting themes about you know, it explores the invisible woman. It explores playing these roles in your family and then your family members seeing you in a different role.
Speaker 8: Definitely, the dynamics that we play in our family, and then sort of like all the things you sort of keep from your family members, and also they know some of your deepest secrets. Also, you can be honest with your family members in a way you can't with anybody else, and the things you say to your family members cut deeper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know anyone else.
Speaker 8: The show will definitely make you want to call your mom.
Speaker 5: I think I can confirm that that's a thousand percent true. That's exactly how I felt. And your character Amy is described by her sister as I want to get this right, an emotional chaos sinkhole.
Speaker 4: Yeah so lovingly.
Speaker 5: Isn't that those are the words of a siblings Yeah, definitely. But you play her so beautifully and she's kind of this like hot mess on the surface, but you you play her like she's truly like one of the most emotionally evolved characters in the show.
Speaker 8: She's definitely the best communicator in this family. She's the only person who knows the word feeling, I think, and she uses it often. But yeah, I love that she wears her emotions on her sleeve. It was a fun part of the character to play. And I also think because she's a bit of a catastrophist, she sort of like gets all of her mess out early on. Other characters continue to be surprised and she's like, I've been there, I'm evolving now.
Speaker 5: You know, so that's ways Yeah, and the ensemble is incredible. The cast's Anette Benning, an all time icon.
Speaker 8: This was like a bucket list thing for me, working with a Net Truly, I like, I like get a little emotional talking about working with an at best.
Speaker 5: Do you see that she was attached to this thing? And were you just like, I don't need to read it. I don't need to know the character play her kitchen table if she don't.
Speaker 4: It was a Net Benning and.
Speaker 8: Sam Neil and I just was like, stop, Yes, they are the best icons and cool cats, Like just Sam Neil's rolling up like let's go to the cabaret and we did.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 4: That's your definition of a cool cat.
Speaker 8: I mean, how often does someone say I've bought us all tickets to the cabaret and you're like excited to go.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's amazing. Great it's and you.
Speaker 5: Were right there with them. You beautiful scenes with them. The show is so much fun. I also want to talk about you have an upcoming project coming up. It's a horror film, yes, with your husband Dave Franco.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: Now, when I think about the purpose of going to work, it's to get away from my husband, you feel differently about this.
Speaker 8: Is very much the opposite. Yes, especially this one. It's a horror film. I don't want to say too much about it. The film is called Together, and it's about the horrors of codependency. We play a couple that's been together over ten years and is a bit codependent. And you know, we spent two months on this choot together twenty four hours a day every day, producing this movie, acting in it all day every day, and I loved it.
Speaker 5: Can we push in on a close up to get the single cheer and I love the inside blink twice.
Speaker 4: I did love it.
Speaker 10: I just love it.
Speaker 14: I love my husband.
Speaker 4: I want him to be able to watch this later. Yes, it was really fun.
Speaker 8: It was really fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm very excited to see it. Congratulations on everything. I love the show so much. I cannot wait to see the movie. The entire season of Apple's Never Fall is now available on Peacock.
Speaker 14: Alison Green, I'll make a comment putting it well back in two thousand and nine, putting the dates on March thirty first, whoever created the trans day on that date new eventually it would fall on Easter.
Speaker 3: I guarantee I guarantee.
Speaker 14: They knew that, and now it happened.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven tenth Central on Comedy Central, and streamful episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 3: This has been a Comedy Central podcast