Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it is Oscar's weekend. You haven't done your homework, have you? We're here to do it for you. A number five on our list, Bogonia. As we get you caught up, giving you the cliff notes, make sure you're good to go if you're gonna be watching the Oscar Ceremony on Sunday night. But haven't watched all ten movies? We watched them for you. We've gone through the first four. Number five on the list is Bogonia. Surprised, Well, you know, I'm not gonna give an opinion yet, but Bogonia, as you just say, it's number five on the list.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it has four nominations, including Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay. And the cast is phenomenal in this movie. Emma Stone who was nominated, Jesse Plemmons who got snugged, Aidendulvis. But this was a movie that we actually went into, at least I'll speak for myself. I went into watching this movie not really having a clue what it was about. I only knew that Emma Stone had to shave her head for it. That's what I went into watching this movie. That's all I knew.
Speaker 1: Because we saw that it didn't make that kind of a big deal. In the preview you couldn't miss it. But I think it was out there in the press that she was out there in public a little bit. We knew she had to shave her head. So what is coming this movie? Bogonia? What is Bogonia about? I still delusions? Delusions?
Speaker 3: Or what were they not?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yes, the synopsis here, two conspiracy obsessed young men kidnapped the high powered CEO of a major company, convinced that she's an alien intent undestroying planet Earth. Some of the promotion was pretty good for this.
Speaker 2: It was, and so I truly I went into this movie with no expectations and I was just kind of ready to see what it was going to deliver.
Speaker 3: It was rated R and it came in.
Speaker 2: This was another reason why I think we were like, Okay, we can watch this at an hour and fifty eight minutes mart right under that two hour remark, and so it seemed very digestible, at least compared to the.
Speaker 3: Other best picture movies.
Speaker 2: And we actually watched this movie before we even thought about doing this series, where we thought, okay, we'll watch all the Oscar movies for everyone else and let them know what's worth it what's not. We actually just watched this movie out of pure curiosity.
Speaker 1: Because the promo, I give them credit, this didn't do. Gang Bust was necessarily at the box office made forty three million dollars, But there was something about how they promoted this movie that really got me curious about it. Obviously, Jesse Plemons and Emma Stone, Okay, you got my attention there, but I just remember so well the promos of her running from them and beating them up, and them looking like crazy people holding her hostage, and her hair was bald, and her some white makeup was on her face, like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: What is going And honestly, throughout a lot of the movie, I was thinking what is going on?
Speaker 2: And that is why this movie was so thrilling in moments to watch, because you were trying to figure out the entire time if these two conspiracy obsessed guys were on the right track, if they were legit, or if they were actually insane, if Emma Stone was her character was actually evil and an alien and how to take over a planet Earth, or if she was just this victim of these crazy people, And you really were trying to figure it out throughout the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Roberts, was this one. I'm trying to think of the ones we went to the theater to see Sinners. What was the other one we wanted? What was the other one that we voluntarily Is this the one? This is the only other one we voluntarily watched.
Speaker 2: I think this was the only other one on the list that we actually wanted to watch based on promos and hearing people talk about Emma Stone performance.
Speaker 3: That actually was a motivator.
Speaker 2: For me as well to watch it. And so we were like, let's just see what this movie's all about.
Speaker 1: I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Mystery around the movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, f one was the other one we were.
Speaker 2: Considering considering, but we and we know, but we only watched it after it got nominated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we watched this one before.
Speaker 3: No, but we we watched it before we knew we were doing. We watched one after we knew.
Speaker 2: We were compulsory, like this was going to be like Homer, we were gonna watch all the movies.
Speaker 3: Made a decision to watch all the movies. We watched this one before we made that.
Speaker 1: So only two movies out of the ten did we watch, and weren't forced to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: And Bgonia is one of the two, so that's worth noting. Yes, this one is, like I said, hour fifty eight. But the critics, what did you see? And again I always put it on you because you end up reading through more of the reviews than I do. But with the Riding Tomatoes eighty seven versus eighty four, the audience and the critics are about the same. What issue were people taking with the movie?
Speaker 3: I think they just thought it was weird.
Speaker 2: It was people described it as tragic and ironically funny.
Speaker 3: And here's what someone wrote, I love this.
Speaker 2: They called it something akin to a joy ride in a clown car going one hundred and twenty miles an hour.
Speaker 1: That's well done.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that? I think actually they nailed it when they said that. That's a really good way to put it, because there was something ridiculous about it. There was something wildly uncomfortable about it, and there was something thrilling about it, and I think with that description they nailed all of it.
Speaker 1: But the clown car a part in going one hundred and twenty, I actually don't know that I should be in danger, Like I am sitting in a clown car. I'm going one hundred and twenty? What do I do here? That's what the movie was. I didn't know if I should take it seriously, like is she in danger? Are these guys silly and crazy? That is a good way to put it. You're confused about how to feel because this feels dangerous. But I want to laugh.
Speaker 3: Or cry or both? Or are they going to kill her? What are they gonna do?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 2: And I think you're like the whole time, and that is brilliant because I'm watching this the whole time thinking, because we all do this when.
Speaker 3: We're reading a book, we're watching a movie.
Speaker 2: We're trying to be our own sleuths, our own detectives, and we're trying to be the smartest one in the room. How does this end? I'm going to figure it out? And you're doing that this entire movie. Your mind is racing while you're watching it.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I don't know how much love she is getting out there because during the award season, as far as the Best Actress and all those categories, I mean, quite frankly, Tayana Taylor's been getting a lot of attention because and even she's in the Supporting Actress category, But I think the ladies from the lady from sentimental value. Yes, I haven't seen Emmastone getting a lot of love for this role, getting a lot of the chance of winning.
Speaker 2: Which is unusual because I mean, look, if you've prior Oscar shows or who wins the best Actress category, some times it's when a beautiful actress makes herself look ugly, When a beautiful actress shaves her head. I can talk about Halle Berry, I can talk about Charlie's their own. So it's actually interesting that Emma Stone isn't getting that same kind of Oscar buzz or love because look, I'm not saying that those performances by those two actresses weren't Oscar worthy and worthy of winning, but it does. You do see a theme sometimes when you see beautiful actresses make themselves into something they aren't usually seen as while they're putting on a powerful performance, Those oftentimes are the recipes for winning an Oscar.
Speaker 1: They've talked about this forever. The Academy loves when an actor changes their appearance. When somebody gains a lot of weight, loses a lot of weight, yeah, I'm thinking of that. I think McConaughey was he what was that movie? He lost a lot of weight in this is that is just a history of this. Even Brendan Fraser for the Whale, these things just have happened. I loved her. I'm trying to think of who else could carry this movie in the way she does. She and Jesse Plemons. To see those two acting heavyweights so good spar in this movie is awesome.
Speaker 2: I thought it was amazing and there was heart in this story because there was a reason behind why the Jesse Plemons character was doing what he was doing, so you actually you felt something for even these crazy, conspiracy obsessed guys who were doing this weird thing to Emma Stone, and then you start to question, wait, is she an alien?
Speaker 3: Is she from the mothership?
Speaker 2: But there was actual heart to this because she was trying you. You also put yourself in her position. You're thinking, oh, my god, if I were ever abducted. She was trying to manipulate and be smarter than them and find a way out of this situation she found herself in. And I just there were so many relatable moments in a very unrelatable odd bizarre movie that actually I think is kind of brilliant, that I actually felt something that was so absurd.
Speaker 1: Not sure how I should feel. My fiance can relate to aliens and abductions. But stay here, we'll tell you if my fiance also thinks you should watch or skip this movie. All right, we continue with aliens and abductions, Pogonia number five on our list. Watch it to skip it. What would you tell somebody coming to you, a friend, family member, I'm gonna check out Pagonia tonight.
Speaker 2: You think should I would say to watch it? I would say to watch it. I think this is phenomenally well acted. I thought it was a brilliant original script. And I love anything that keeps me guessing and keeps me awake. Honestly, that's kind of a huge litmus desk for me at this point.
Speaker 3: With the hours we work and the time we get up.
Speaker 2: It is actually a to me, a litmus test as to whether or not a movie is great or just okay. If I can stay awake, you already are winning points, and this one kept me on.
Speaker 1: The edge of my right. You just gave me an idea we should launch a whole movie review site. Show whatever it is, that's simply it. That's the test. Can you keep me awake past dark? Yes?
Speaker 3: And at what point do I fall asleep? We'll give you that'll be how.
Speaker 1: Many stories break down?
Speaker 3: Yes, if I make it to the whole thing, five stars.
Speaker 2: But seriously, that is where I am in my uh like my life, and yes, I staying awake is a huge check.
Speaker 3: In the right direction.
Speaker 1: You mentioned expectations, Rose, maybe that thing is real, because I didn't have high expectations going into this, and I thought, Wow, this is a cool movie. I really really enjoyed this movie. It was fun. It was like you said, there was a mystery here that you're trying to figure out, and it was bizarre and it was weird. Maybe in a way we like to see weird movies, but it was entertaining. Right at two hours, this was cool. And I have loved Emma Stone, some of the stuff in the middle that she's done between this and Super Bad Like Back. You don't remember that that teen Coming of age, vulgar, foul, potty mouth, just hilarious movie she was in.
Speaker 3: I forgot she was in that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna watch this today, crazy.
Speaker 3: Stupid love too right, she was in that I love Is that? I say that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Crazy super Love?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: What is that movie about?
Speaker 3: Crazy stupid Love?
Speaker 1: Is it a what category?
Speaker 3: It's funny? It's a is it a rom com?
Speaker 1: You just asked me if it's okay? You just asked me if I've seen it?
Speaker 3: Okay, So maybe we can put that on the list too.
Speaker 2: Then if you love Emma Stone, you'll love this movie.
Speaker 3: She's great.
Speaker 1: That's it. She's great in I guess everything she does because she's one of the Best Actress Award profore, it's.
Speaker 2: Also an awesome human being. I have to say, like, I really really appreciate her. She has been phenomenal. Just I've gotten the opportunity interviewer in my career and she's just one of those people when you meet her, you're hoping she's as great as she seems to be, and she's that and more.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Okay, So there you go. Obviously we recommend this movie highly. This wraps up, so we're lumping the We did the first five we dropped them here on Saturday on Oscars Weekend, but then we're going to do the next five for you, and we're dropping those on Sunday so check all of these out look for those. They'll all be posted around noontime on noon Eastern time on Sunday. And the ones we have left Hamnet, Marty Supreme, the Secret Agent Train Dreams, and Sentimental Value. I have no idea why we decided to do them in that chunk. That's a lot of movie back then.
Speaker 2: You know what, you just put the list down. I don't know what order you chose to kind of put these in, but I'm here for it because these are perhaps I mean, maybe Hamnet had what I mean they had. I feel like that was the one and Marty Supreme, those two got the most promotion. The other ones the Secret Agent, Train, Dreams, Sentimental Value. I had to look them up. I didn't even I never even saw them being promoted, truly, but some of these are are You're gonna want to hear what we think about them, because you may want to check some of these out just because they didn't get the big PR blast or the big marketing value. There is some there are some incredible performances in these next movies.
Speaker 1: Getting y' all caught up before the ceremony on Sunday night, we appreciate, as always by hanging with us. Look for the next five. They'll all be posted on Sunday.