Speaker 1: What's going on. I'm Richdmiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to Rich on tech dot TV and hit contact. All right, we got some great guests this week. We got a packed schedule of guests. Matt Swider of The Shortcut just got back from Barcelona or actually you might even still be there. He's gonna talk about the coolest gadgets he saw at Mobile World Congress. Then later in the show, we've got doctor Gita Nayer, Doctor g She's gonna break down the growing crisis of healthcare misinformation on social media. Yeah, you know how when you look up something or you see something you're like, is that true? And Stephanie Humphrey later on in the show is going to talk digital citizenship, sharing her expert advice on kids and social media so great guests there, and of course I will bring you all of the latest news and great topics that you should be aware of in the tech world.
Speaker 2: Let's start with Apple.
Speaker 1: This week, Apple did what I call some press release announcements of products. So this is when they don't have a big event to announce products, but they just put out a press release and voila, we have some new products. These are not new products in a way of like we've never seen them before.
Speaker 2: These are just refreshed products.
Speaker 1: So we got new iPads, we got a new MacBook, MacBook Air, and let me go over what you need to know about these. So first off, let's start with the iPads. So right now, Apple has a couple of iPads in their lineup. They've got the Mini, then they've got the iPad, then they've got the iPad Air, and then they've got the iPad Pro. So these are the new iPad Airs and of course the new iPad which I call the standard iPad. So let's start with the iPad Air. Got the M three chip, so that's Apples. You know, these are the chips that Apple makes themselves, and they are really good because they're very power efficient and they're very powerful, and of course they're written for Apple software. So ever since Apple started writing their own chips and making their own chips, they products have just gotten really good. So this is not their latest M four chip, but it's the M three, so last year's model, but that's still really good in an iPad AIR. And the big thing that this brings to the iPad is Apple Intelligence, so that means that you can have Apple Intelligence on the iPad AIR. This is their version of AI. Of course, I'll tell you more about that in a little bit, because it's been delayed just a little bit. Some of the big features we've been waiting for. So this, like I said, is not their top of the line iPad, but it's the next in line. So these are kind of pricey. You're talking five ninety nine for an eleven inch model, seven ninety nine for a thirteen inch model. But they did drop the price on that magic keyboard. So that's the keyboard case that goes along with this, And if you're trying to get any work done on an iPad, I highly recommend you get that. It's kind of expensive. I mean it's two hundred and sixty nine dollars. My wife was in the Apple store with me and we saw this. My kid wanted it, and she's like, wait, why is a keyboard three hundred dollars? This is before the price guy says, that's just what it is, but it does sort of you know, here's the deal. Apple is riding this really fine line with the iPad where they're still trying to keep this thing as a productive device, but they don't want to eat into their laptop sales, right So if they wanted to sort of merge these things, they would give you a laptop that has a touchscreen, or they'd give you a full fledged iPad that runs Mac os or very close to it software. They've done neither of those things. They keep kind of doing different things with the laptops versus the eyepads because they want to keep them sort of separate and keep the use case scenarios separate. So whether that's a good or bad thing, I'm not sure, but they are very separate devices. My feeling is the iPad overall is still very much a consumption device, whereas the laptop is very much a productivity device. So back to the keyboard. It got a row of function keys at the top, and it also got a larger track pad, So again trying to make these things more useful for productivity. So you might be wondering, We'll wait a second, do I go with the iPad Pro or do I go with the iPad Air?
Speaker 2: Well, the Pro is just overall better.
Speaker 1: That's the best iPad that Apple makes, and it's probably the closest to a laptop replacement if you want just one product that gives you both the laptop experience and also the iPad experience. So the Pro has a better screen, it's got face ID, it's got thunderbolt, it's got better cameras, it's got more speakers, and it has better microphones. So that is the iPad pro versus the iPad Air. Now let's talk about the iPad. I think that is probably the best for everyone out there. I call it the standard iPad. We're up to the eleventh generation of this device. And I still remember when this thing launched. I was working at techmeme dot com. That's the tech website for It's kind of like the front page for tech news, and I remember watching this event and just sitting there. There had been so many rumors about what this device was gonna be. This was Apple's big follow up after the success they saw with the iPhone. They were like, we have something else that's gonna even be better.
Speaker 2: And the iPad was.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really was revolutionary. I mean, if you think about all of the businesses that the iPad has affected, it's been a lot. I mean you're talking magazines, books, you know, creativity, drawing, and it's just so many.
Speaker 2: It goes on and on.
Speaker 1: The iPad has just become kind of like what the iPhone did for everything else, the iPad does for sort of the rest of the world. Right, you need a screen that just runs great software and can do pretty much anything, that's the iPad. So the standard iPad, we're up to the eleventh generation. This now has a faster chip. It's the A sixteen. It's not Apple's fastest once again, that's the A eighteen, which is in the latest iPhones. But the interesting thing here is that there is still no Apple AI support on this chip. So they upgraded the iPad, but they didn't go so far as to give you the AI, which again they're protecting their product lines. They have to have differences between these products. So if you want the AI on the iPad, you got to go with the Air or the Pro. Now, I don't think any of that matters, because if you need AI on the iPad, you could just download Chat GBT that's still going to run just fine. But again, it's kind of a weird choice by Apple because they've been promoting AI so heavily. Then they come out with a brand new product that doesn't have it storage bump. Now you get one hundred and twenty eight gigs of storage it used to be sixty four. Still the same price, three hundred and forty nine dollars. Amazon is already discounting this brand new iPad.
Speaker 2: It hasn't even launched yet. It comes out March twelfth.
Speaker 1: They're giving you thirty dollars let's see, yeah, twenty dollars. Twenty dollars off three hundred and twenty nine dollars. So again, don't buy this iPad at full price, get it at a lower price. Should you upgrade, Well, if your iPad still does what you need, I don't think he needs upgrade because your iPad's just fine. Now Here is my thought process on the upgrade. Okay, if you are running an iPad in the year twenty twenty five, that's not going to get the new software update next year. So right now, iPad OS eighteen is compatible with the iPad seventh generation and later. Okay, so if you are running an iPad seventh generation right now, it might be a good idea to upgrade because next year, chances are iPad or this year, later this year, iPad OS nineteen is probably not going to run on your iPad. It's probably going to drop off. So in that reason, I would say, probably get a new one if you want it. But if your iPad's just fine, it's getting software updates, is doing what you need, You're gonna be just fine. Now, the MacBook Air, this got the M four chip, and that is their latest chip. This got the M four chip and a new sky blue color. And I will tell you I bought the iPad air last year. Oh sorry, the MacBook Air last year with the M three chip, and I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: It's not as good as a Pro, but it's a great laptop. My battery life on this is absolutely incredible. In fact, I leave it on for the three hours of this show. I leave the screen on, and I come home and I still have about eighty percent battery life. I mean this thing, or if not more, I mean this thing is really an amazingly power efficient device. They're saying you now get even more battery life eighteen hours of battery life. That's of course with all the peak conditions and things like that, and tariffs, what tariffs. This got a price cut of one hundred dollars. Starts at nine hundred ninety nine dollars, So nine hundred and ninety nine dollars for one of the best laptops. You can get eight hundred ninety nine dollars if you have education pricing access. That's a you're a teacher student. You can look on Apple's website see if you qualify for that. It also has a better camera for video calls, and it now supports two external displays with the built in screen active.
Speaker 2: So here is my one tip for this.
Speaker 1: Go with the thirteen inch if you are just looking to do basic things like email, web browsing, and YouTube. But if you're going to try to do any work on this MacBook Air, go with the fifteen inch model. Last year I went with the or two years ago I went the thirteen inch. Could not get anything done on that thing. The screen was just too small. Now I went with the fifteen inch. You can have your web browser on the left, you can have your AI and your messages on the right, So go with the fifteen inch if you want the best productivity. Now about Apple Intelligence, it is being delayed. Some of the biggest features that Apple promoted are going to be delayed, and that is smart Siri. So Siria is supposed to get really smart by indexing all of your emails, your messages, and your photos. But John Gruber, one of the prominent Apple bloggers out there, actually got a a message from Apple, a comment from Apple that says, yeah, this is taking longer than we expected, So this is gonna be maybe next year when you get these features.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: A lot of the AI features are built in at this point, but the one killer feature is that ability to ask Siri about your emails, your messages, and your photos, and that feature is the one that's being delayed.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up, I.
Speaker 1: Will tell you about a way to thwart scammers scam callers that I discovered over the week, and you apparently like that tip, so I'll share that plus your.
Speaker 2: Calls at triple A rich one oh one.
Speaker 1: That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website rich on Tech dot TV. My name is Rich dmiro more rich On Tech coming your way right after this, Tony in the Redlands. Tony You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey Rich.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have Amazon Music unlimited, say like thirteen bus fulve bucks a month for it for like years now. But I only listened to a handful of songs and I want to buy them, and I found I can buy them, and I would say all that money if I can't find platform to play them on my phone. No app, Every app I want to download says you have to pay for the service, and that defeats the promise. You know, I don't want to keep paying ten bucks a month for ten songs, you know I listened to. So is there an app you know, like remembery, I used to have the I used to have that little eye, that little square thing, white thing Apple, and I don't it's been gone a long time. I just want to be able to listen to my music.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So you've got music, You've got the music, the audio files, you want to play them on your Android phone? Yeah, okay, Well there's a couple of ways you can do this. What kind of phone do you have?
Speaker 4: Samsung?
Speaker 2: Okay, Samsung, So.
Speaker 1: I mean you can use uh, let's see, Samsung used to have a built in player, but I guess they don't more. Huh okay, well there, you could use YouTube Music. If you download that, you can actually upload the songs to their cloud service. So it actually makes it quite easy because you don't even have to transfer them to your phone. So if you go to even if you don't have a subscription. By the way, so if you go to music dot YouTube dot com, you can go to library and you can literally just drag music into there and you'll see a section that says uploads, and then when you go to your phone, those songs will be on your phone as well. So that's one of like the easiest, simplest ways to do it. Other than that, there are some apps that you can use, but I would have to do some research to figure out which one I would recommend on that because it's been a long time since I used an app to play music on the phone like that. But I'll have to look into that. But I think I mean, obviously you can use an app like VLC. They have local playback of anything on your phone. But I'm trying to think of an app that actually like has a good organization for your phone. But I would start with the YouTube music because I think that's going to be the simplest one, and you're gonna be able to store your stuff and organize it inside that app even if you're not paying, So you don't necessarily need to pay for that to use that feature, because Google used to have that as a feature where that was sort of the included music player. And I'm sure there's more. So if you if you're listening and you have a music player that you like on Android, give me a call eight eight eight rich one O one, or sebody a message Rich on tech dot tv and just hit contact and I will take a look at that and give some of your suggestions and I'll see what I got I've got. You know, I take some notes on some of this stuff, so I'm gonna see what I have in my notes about what I like for like a music app, let's say, so, I know I always kind of bookmark these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna look at that as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, good question, Tony, Thanks for that, appreciate it. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I thought this was interesting week. So I got a phone call eight hundred number. And I know you're not supposed to answer calls that you don't know who they're from, but you know, when you've got kids, you kind of have to answer the phone right, no matter what. Because the last time I didn't answer the phone or I don't even remember, but it was basically my kid had like a broken arm. It was like a random call and I wasn't going to answer it, but I did, and it was like, oh, thank god I did. But this time, so I typically answer my phone unless it's marked spam call, I will answer it. So eight hundred number calls and immediately the person says, hey, this is Bank of America credit Card Verification Center. They wanted to prove my recent application. I was like, number one, if you apply for a credit card, which I didn't, they approve it or deny it right away. They don't call you to like I mean, as far as I know, I've never seen that. So I was like, okay, it seemed like this was a scam, but I wanted to see where the guy was going. And it occurred to me that I should try something new. So I tapped the call recording feature on the iPhone. This is brand new in iOS eighteen and there's a little icon upper left hand corner when you're on a call, looks like kind of an audio wave. I tap that and it said this call will be recorded. And it gave a little countdown three to two one. And as soon as they heard that this call will be recorded, guess what, they hung up immediately. And I said, Okay, I guess it's a scam because who wants to be recorded if you're a scam artist, of course you don't. You don't want your voice. I mean not that they not that you're going to like catch this person, but they just don't want to be recorded because they just It just makes sense. So I posted this to my Instagram at rich on Tech, and you guys just went nuts on it. You said, this was awesome. You love it. People are trying it out. It seems to work. So the bottom line, it might not be fool proof, but it might be something fun to try. My general advice is not to answer these calls, but if you do answer one, you find yourself in a tricky situation with anyone any you know, telemarker or whatever. They don't want to be recorded, so just press that call recording. As soon as they hear that, they might hang up. Call recording is now built into IF as well as newer Pixel and Samsung devices. So on Pixel, when you're in a call, it says call assist. You tap that, and then it says call notes. You tap that and it will record. They should just label it call recording. Why they say call notes call assist, I don't know. On Samsung, if you're on one UI seven, which is the latest software, not every phone has it, but a lot of the newer ones do. It looks like an icon with a cassette tape and the letter T. So again, once you're on that call screen, if you see that icon, you can tap that and all of them, because of legal reasons, say this call will be recorded, and so once the other person hears that, if they hang up, yeah, you know you got a scam artist on your hands. If you want to see that tip, go to my instagram at rich on Tech. Coming up, we're gonna talk to Matt Swider about the coolest things he saw at this year's Mobile World Congress. This is rich on Tech triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: We just got a question from Tony.
Speaker 1: He was at asking about a good app for playing local files on his Samsung phone, like local MP three's, and I recommended the cloud feature in Google Music. But I also said that Samsung used to have like their own music app. I guess they don't pre install it on the phones, but doing some further research during the commercial, yes, Samsung still does have a Samsung Music app in the play Store, so that's probably what I'd recommend for your Samsung phone is just download the Samsung Music app.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting. I tested it.
Speaker 1: You can't download it on a non Samsung device, so probably the best thing to do is if you have a Samsung phone, you can do that, and it supports all the different music files. And it was just updated on February sixth, so clearly Samsung is keeping this up to date.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: That is the best way Tony to play those local music files.
Speaker 2: There you go. I love it. All right, Let's bring on Matt.
Speaker 1: Swy just got back from Barcelona for Mobile World Congress.
Speaker 2: Matt, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: I think you now have the designation of being the guests that has been on the most.
Speaker 4: That I.
Speaker 5: Cherished that. I will await my award. Thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll take another ding for that. We got Adam in for Bobo today. He was very excited because he brought a whole bunch of sound effects with him, so he said he's got to get quicker, but he will. You know, we're just warming up here, all right. So explain what Mobile World Congress is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a lot like CEES which a lot of your listeners know about, but it's in Barcelona and it's dedicated to mobile technology. So anything that fits in your pocket or anything that fits in a backpack, including laptop, so those types of things.
Speaker 1: So what's the deal with big companies because I feel like, you know, it's a lot of international companies stuff that doesn't really necessarily come to the US. But you see a lot of cool like concept y stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Apple isn't here, you know, they weren't there. Samsung hasn't unveiled a big flagship phone at More World Congress in years. It's a lot of Chinese manufacturers, Lenovo, Honor, Oppo, Gao, Me Real, met some people might not be familiar with those, but they make a lot a lot of the gadgets that you wish you could get, and it's definitely stuff that trickles down to us products eventually. So a lot of the innovations that they're doing at a cheaper price, eventually the Samsungs and the Apples of the world will take those ideas and have their own version of those.
Speaker 1: So tell me about some of the things you saw this, uh, this Lenovo solar powered laptop.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that. Was it? Was it cool?
Speaker 1: Did you get to like touch it or is it one of those things where it's like behind glass.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not only did I get to touch it, I got to, you know, full around with it where it's I was covering up the lid that is solar powered. You know, it has a grid on there. It looks a lot sleeker than you would expect, and it was able to you know, if you cover it up, it dips in its charge meter. But if you're you know, outside outdoors, it can get twenty minutes with direct sunlight. It can get one hour of video playback. So that's that's pretty good. It could be one day an everlasting laptop. So I love the future of It's not quite there, but it's something that is a concept that that could go really far.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Who do you think that would be good for? Just in general? Like if do you have to be out in direct sun? Or can you be inside?
Speaker 6: That was the thing that a lot of my followers had mentioned. It's like, why do I want to be outdoors? It doesn't have to be direct sun. And so if you're you know, we have a window that has indirect sunlight that also works. So it'll be a little bit slower of a charge, but it's still going to charge your your.
Speaker 2: Laptop, all right.
Speaker 1: Tell me about this other Lenovo laptop eighteen inch screen because that's pretty large.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so eighteen inches that just seems even too big to actually fout them. But it folds down into a thirteen inch laptop, which is kind of awesome. So it has this screen that extends upward, so that's a really cool thing. And it just has a screen on the front and the back basically, and you can unfold it upward and that's really cool. I think that's great for a productivity because I have a multi monitor setup that I always use, but I can't take that with me on the road, and it's the think Book flip AIPC another concept but something that's very promising.
Speaker 1: And I was just complaining earlier how I bought the MacBook Pro thirteen inch a couple of years ago, and I literally was ready to throw the thing out the window because I couldn't. My productivity went so far down for two years, I almost didn't do any work. It was just like I couldn't even check my email. It was fast, but the screen real estate was so tiny that I felt like I was back using the original iPhone.
Speaker 6: A great suggestion for that is sidecar, which you use an iPad and that kind of acts as a screen, but you know, it's a little bit just joint you at the set it up. And I feel like my eleven inch iPad Pro isn't quite a good match for a fourteen inch MacBook Pro. You really need the larger iPad Pro for that reason to kind of feel like it's not a tiny sidecar you want. You want that, but that's a good remedy until Lenovo and others come out with this new technology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I went fifteen inch this time, and it's just fine.
Speaker 1: I have got my chat GBT on the right, my browser window on the left, and I'm very happy. Let's talk about Honor. So, what what's the deal with Honor? I've heard of this company and where are they out of and like what are they? What's their deal?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's a Chinese company.
Speaker 6: It used to be kind of like a sub brand of Huawei before they got spun out, but now they're they're making a lot of the gadgets that are undercutting what Apple can do.
Speaker 5: So they have something that's it's not a MacBook, but it's a magic Book Pro fourteen.
Speaker 6: It's a Watch fifteen Ultra, and it's an Honor Pad nine. So those are some of the new gadgets. They also have kind of a new category that's emerging. The earbuds open, so they're they're not they don't quite stick in your ears, but they kind of hang on the uh like just outside the ears, and it's like having speakers on your ear.
Speaker 5: So it's pretty good uh volume.
Speaker 6: A lot of runners and bicyclists love this because you're able to hear the outside world and legally you're not supposed to have earbuds in when you're biking, at least in New York.
Speaker 2: City.
Speaker 5: So this is kind of like, what, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's illegal to wear air pods in New York City.
Speaker 6: Yeah when you're on a bike. Yeah, because come on, you're supposed to hear the traffic.
Speaker 2: Wow, traffic.
Speaker 6: So this has kind of been a remedy and runners love it too, because they don't want to be, you know, with noise isolation while they're running completely, but they want to have good sounds. So the Honor earbuds open are kind of a good choice. But we were really impressed when we got to go hands on with my Moraile Congress. My colleague Max was able to test them out. But Honor's big thing is that they are investing ten billion dollars into AI, which you know, doesn't really mean a lot for consumers right now, but it just means that it's a company that's keeping up with Apple, Microsoft and everybody else investing gobs money into artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: It's funny on the on the topic of the open earbuds, I this morning, I typically run with these shocks like open earbuds, like they you know, they use like the bone conduction instead of like sealing out your ear, So it's nice when you're running and you can hear everything around you. But today I ended up using the AirPods pro. But I did the the mode where it kind of adapts when it's you know, if you're talking, it'll go into like where you can hear transparency or it'll noise cancel when nobody's around you.
Speaker 2: So I found that that worked pretty well.
Speaker 1: The open The thing about the open earbuds is that the audio quality is not going to be as like pronounced as something that seals out your ear right.
Speaker 6: We we tested out a couple, you know, the one plus open the earbuds that they have not as good as as something that you know you'll have that on.
Speaker 5: But you know that's that's really the balance.
Speaker 6: You have to strike the right balance between great quality and you know, the transparency that you were talking about. That's that's really you know, what they have to hit on. I call the transparency mode that Apple has. It shames me basically into not singing Kerry Okio on the streets in New York City because it starts to make the sound volume go down because it thinks you're talking to somebody, So I it catches me sometimes.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, or if like I actually they must have done some sort of upgrade because I felt like it got a lot better today when I had a monks.
Speaker 2: It's been a while since I wore them.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is when you like cough or make like I find myself and I'm running trying to not make any noise whatsoever, because when they first introduce that mode, it would take a long time for it to like kick out of the mode, like once it gets into it. At one point when it first launched, I had to like restart my phone basically, like it was so bad. It was like I had to disconnect the air buds and or the air pods and everything. But now today it was like perfect.
Speaker 6: It's very sensitive sometimes, but I think they, yeah, you're right. There was some sort of firmware update, probably along with the hearing aid technology that came out with When I was in Barcelona, we went to a you know, someone's party and one of the companies and it was very loud, but you could actually stick in your AirPods pro AirPods PRO two specifically and kind of drown out the noise. So use it as a noise cancelation devices.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Finally, before we go this this real meet ultraphone concept.
Speaker 2: I saw this scrolling through my Instagram a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know it's basically replacing the body of a mirrorless or DSLR camera. So say you forgot the body, you know, that big bulky body of a camera, real camera, but you still had the DSR lenses and your phone, so you're able to kind of stick that that lens on top of the smartphone and get three times and ten times zoom and it feels like DSLR quality. Got to test that out. Putting together it was like, you know, very interesting. It took a second to do it. That was my first first time doing it, and I was really impressed with the quality. But it's another Chinese phone company called real Me. It's there, it's their concept, but the fact that we got to test it out means it's we're probably gonna see it very soon.
Speaker 1: I feel like all these concepts that we see, at the end of the day, people just go back to their iPhone. It's like the same technology for the past like ten years now or however many years the iPhone's been out.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 6: And I call that trickle down technology because you know, you might not be able to you know have these devices because maybe they don't they don't release in the US, or maybe it's just not part of your you know, your it's not in your wheelhouse of what you get because you.
Speaker 5: Maybe stick to the iPhone.
Speaker 6: Eventually, if that technology is good enough, it's going to force the Samsungs the Apples of the world to adopt that. So, you know a lot of the flip and foldable screens that we've been seeing. Eventually, maybe next year Apple will have something of that kind with a foldable phone.
Speaker 1: All right, Matt Swider of the Shortcut dot great newsletter. Sign up for it the shortcut dot Com. Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me Rich all right.
Speaker 2: Always good to see you.
Speaker 1: I saw you a couple of weeks ago in New York City for the Amazon Alexa event. Always fun, so wealth of information The shortcut dot Com. All right, coming up, let's see we are going to talk about, Oh, we got a new Google store that opened up in a key city in America. I'll tell you what why they're opening physical stores and how many they have compared to the market leader Apple eight a' eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one plus your calls coming up right here on rich on Tech eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, Donald recommended a double Twist as an app for playing music files on an Android. He says he regularly uses it and it works well free for general use, but they also have a paid version.
Speaker 2: Remember that one. It's been a while.
Speaker 1: And then let's see here, got another question here from Tony. Tony says, Hey, rich great show. You always mentioned useful info tips and tricks that you post in your IG account. Is the same info post it available on other social media platforms.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Most of the time I will post it to my Facebook, Facebook, dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash rich on Tech. Those are both meta.
Speaker 1: So if you're staying off meta you don't like meta, I understand that you know you won't see those. I sometimes post to Twitter or x but typically it just depends like I'm not one of those people that posts the same thing everywhere, and so I think, Tony, the best way to follow me is probably my newsletter. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv, sign up for the newsletter, and that's probably the best way to do it. Because if something if something bubbles up, and I mean like if something is popular on one of the places I post it, I typically include it in the newsletter because I'm like, oh, okay, people thought that was interesting, so let me include it for my broad audience. Great question, Tony. Thanks, Let's go to Fernando in Laguna Hills.
Speaker 2: Fernando. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hi. Rich.
Speaker 7: I appreciate everything you do with Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I've got a question.
Speaker 7: I have an iPhone, the sixteen Pro, and now that we.
Speaker 3: Have acts to the.
Speaker 7: Port, so we can add another like a external hard drive or you know, reader, I'm trying to have a lot of music files already, and I'm trying to find also a music player that will say this file directly without any subscription anything like that.
Speaker 1: iPhone to transfer the MP threes from an external drive to the iPhone. There may be a way to drag them in there directly from the drive, but I think that that is you know, the way Apple's operating system works, everything is very it's not like a typical operating system. So if you were to drag those files in, yeah, you can do that, but they're going to go into the files app on your iPhone, which is not ideal.
Speaker 7: Right, So.
Speaker 2: The way that Apple does.
Speaker 1: Things is slightly different than all the other manufacturers out there. So what I'd recommend is there's an app called Walter Pro wa l t R Walter Pro And what's great about this app is you installed on your computer and you can drag and drop pretty much any file that you want onto your iPhone and it can do it with your iPhone plugged into your computer. You can do it wirelessly, but that is the way I'd recommend doing it because what this will do is it will put the files into the music player, into the native player on the iPhone.
Speaker 2: So that is what I'd recommend doing.
Speaker 1: And that program, I believe has probably a one time cost, but you can try it for free. So if you download, it's called Walter waltr Pro. It's from a company called soft Reno and I've been using it for years. It is fantastic, And what's neat about it is that it will convert the files so you don't have to think about what the format is that you're putting on your phone. So Apple's very particular about the formats that it supports natively for the iPhone. So this if you have a PDF, you can drop it in there if you have a music file, I mean, it really will do anything. And if you have like a random file that has like a you know, a different format, it will convert that into a format that is compatible with your iPhone. So it works with pretty much anything you can think of. So you can do ring tones, you can do audio books, you can do video, you can do just anything. And what's great about it is you just drag and drop and it will put right in there and you can use your your native music player on the iPhone to play those files. So again, Walter Pro, I know you mentioned free, but and there may be a free alternative, but this is the best solution that I've found that's super easy and they do a great job. Wa ltr pro Walter Pro. So great question, Fernando. I know it's Apple just likes to do things their own way and sometimes you have to find a way around that. It's so weird because here it is an iPhone. It's all it is is a hard drive, right, and you would think that they would build software where you can just drag and drop stuff onto that phone. No, or just by the way, once you have stuff on that phone, Hey, I just want to pull that information off the phone. No, you don't realize until you actually need to do these things that they're kind of complicated.
Speaker 2: So and Apple did that for a reason.
Speaker 1: They they did it for either protecting you know, the file form, you know the files that are copyright protected.
Speaker 2: They did it for iTunes with the music stuff.
Speaker 1: So there's reasons for it, and probably a lot of it is security as well, but it's just kind of like you're like, wait a second, this should be really simple. I want to drag a file onto my phone. Oh that's tougher than I thought. And I think Apple Music used to do that or iTunes used to do it, but it was also a weird thing where it's like a one way street. So Walter pro is going to be really easy, and I think you'll you'll really like that. Let's see, Okay, we only have a minute. Oh my gosh, Okay, I'll do this. I'll save the Google Store Santa Monica for the next segment here, but I'll tell you about this. If you have an iPhone and you want Google Gemini on your lock screen, there are six new lock screen widgets. So if you want to do something other than what Apple has with the AI stuff and other than what chatchibt does. If you like Gemini, you can now get this on your lock screen. So they got six different widgets that you can add. The first is one where it brings you instantly to typing, so you can type in a question, get an AI answer. The next one is talking, so it opens up Gemini Live. Then you've got a microphone for voice input. That's the one I put on there. Camera, you can take a picture, ask AI about it. You can share an image, or you can share a file.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: These are all new widgets in the Google Gemini app for iPhone.
Speaker 2: If you want to add them to your lock screen. You are listening to Rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: We got the question about earlier about the best Android music app for an Android phone for local files and CALLI cardinal Fan writes in on x Pulsar is a reasonably good music player for Android.
Speaker 2: It is compatible with Android Auto.
Speaker 1: Two ooh, I like that. That's a good point. Make sure it's compatible with Android Auto.
Speaker 2: So I looked it up. Pulsar Music Player.
Speaker 1: It's got five million downloads, four point six in the ratings. And most importantly, and this is always how you want to judge an app. By the way, always look at the updated on date, because if an app is out of update, it's not going to be you know, they're not it's not actively getting any improvements or updates. So this was last update on December eleventh, twenty twenty four, which is just fine. So again, if you're looking iOS or or Android, always look at that updated on date, the last update, because that will give you an idea if an app is actively being maintained or if it's something that's just still lingering in the store and not really getting any active updates. So again, we got a lot of suggestions on the best Android music app. So we've got YouTube Music Cloud, which I think that's the easiest. Just upload your music to YouTube Music. They have a free service where you can just upload your MP three'es and they'll show up on your phone Samsung Music if you have a Samsung phone. And then listeners recommended Double Twist and Pulsar. And by the way, if you want anything that I talk about, I take very good show notes. It's all on the website rich on tech dot tv. Definitely while you're there, sign up for a newsletter. Follow me on Instagram at Rich on tech.
Speaker 2: Let's see here. Let's go to Ron in Norco. Ron. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Good afternoon, Rich. How are you folks doing today?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic great.
Speaker 8: I'm sitting here watching the Eagles, Eagles and the lists and Big Bear on my camera. I'm a third monitor here and it's fantastic.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 8: The father's going down and getting the fishing and bring the fishing up and then mom picked the fish apart and feeds the three babies.
Speaker 1: People are obsessed with this stuff. It's like a big on YouTube. I think it's one big ad for Big Bear.
Speaker 2: That's what I think. Because it is it makes you want to go there, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not too far away, but I don't go very often. My question is I do consulting and I go to site, do site visits from time to time. And I I used to use the live scribe with the pen and the special paper in the audio system, which has been good, But what can I use now? With AI emerging? It helped me do interviews that hadn't transcribed instantly or virtually.
Speaker 2: Oh my, how long are you recording?
Speaker 8: Typically not more than an hour, half an hour? I mean, I get break it up and segments if necessary.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, my favorite favorite favorite app is called Whisper Memos w hisp e R Whisper Memos.
Speaker 2: Are you on iPhone or Android?
Speaker 8: Android?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, hold on, that's different. Okay, so if you're on Android, that's a little bit different. So are you on Samsung or you on Pixel?
Speaker 8: I'm on Samsung, but I also have an iPad. I usually take an iPad with me.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well, I think I think the best app right now is the Whisper Memos app app. And what I love about it is that you record and basically it will transcribe using the latest open Ai whisper model, which is really good.
Speaker 2: There's there's a couple of ways to do it. Do you need to What kind of computer do you have?
Speaker 10: I have a.
Speaker 8: Basic number, okay.
Speaker 1: Windows Desktop. I mean there's so many there's so many apps that do this. There's another one called letterle L E T T E R L Y. Now, for what you're doing, I think the service from otter might be the best one.
Speaker 2: That's for what you're doing. Have you heard of otter dot ai?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I think for your your purposes that might be the best solution. It all depends on do you want this to be free? Do you want this to be free or do you or do you mind paying?
Speaker 8: I don't mind paying that.
Speaker 1: I like the time too, yeah exactly, So I mean I love free too. So what I do and I transcribe every interview I do for TV. So when I interview someone, we record it and then I transcribe it. And so what I do is I take that audio and drop it into an app called mac Whisper and ma ac Whisper now the equivalent for other There's another app called Descript, which I used to use and that you can use as well.
Speaker 2: Anytime you're doing something for business.
Speaker 1: It's tough to get the free because you're using it more than what the free allotment is. Right, So with something like descript, you can use it for free, but as soon as you go over a certain amount, you're gonna have to start paying. So it all depends on how much you're using this. With built into the phones nowadays, they've got so many different options for transcribing.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned you have a Samsung, Yes I do. Do you have the latest one UI on it?
Speaker 11: Or no?
Speaker 2: Like, do you have the AI features?
Speaker 8: Or no, I don't think so. I have the S twenty two Interim that I hadn't upgrading to AI.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, if you have the S twenty two Ultra, that's not going to have the AI because basically at this point, the iPhone, the Pixel, and the Samsung they all have audio recording on them that also transcribes for free. So that's another way of doing it. But if you got the S twenty two, they just I think they just announced the one UI beta. Let's see one UI seven beta rolls out to more phones.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see it's going to the S twenty three. Yeah, so it's it's not to your phone just yet, but that would be a good way to do it. But I mean, look, there's a lot of options out there. I think that one of these AI kind of it depends if you want your phone to do it one hundred percent, if you want your phone to do it from start to finish, I'd probably recommend something like otter dot AI. If you don't mind taking the file and transcribing it later, then I would use something like a descript.
Speaker 2: That would probably be the best option there.
Speaker 1: And then you know, there's just there's so many ways of doing this, but I think those are probably some good ways to start doing it. But again, so what I do is I get my file, I throw it into mac whisper, and then I will use that transcription and then toss that into something like a chat GBT just to get some key takeaways things like that to help me think about crafting my story around that. There is a I'm trying to find. There is a transcription. Let's see where it is. There is a transcription website that I will look up the the url, but I shared it. It's a free transcription on like basically any computer, so it's hosted on hugging face. I gotta find the website though, But that one's pretty cool and I will put that in the show notes. Rich on tech dot tv is where you can find that. Thanks for the call, Ron appreciate it. There are so many It's so funny. I went from never ever transcribing my interviews to now I transcribe everything. In fact, I have a folder inside my notes of transcriptions, so anything someone says I can go back and just and I record everything. All my meetings I take now, like if I go to like a briefing I will record that on my phone, and it's just gotten so incredibly easy to do this process of transcribing that it's like, why not just have everything? And I think that, you know, with the later phones, the newer phones that handle the AI stuff, it really makes it a lot easier because it's built in for free, like I said, on the Pixel phones, the latest Samsung phones, and of course the iPhones if they support the iOS eighteen, it's all right there for free. But if you don't have access to the free services, you can always do some of the paid stuff that will work just as well. And I'll put everything I mentioned, by the way in the show notes rich on tech dot TV. I know I mentioned a lot of different services, but it sort of depends on what you want out of them, which one is the best for you? Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one visited the new Google store in Santa Monica, California. It's at the Third Street Promenade. If you're familiar with LA one of my favorite places. I joke, it's one of the first places I ever visited when I came to California, and I thought this was like heaven on Earth. I have never seen anything like this in my life. Growing up in New Jersey, it was an outdoor mall on a street and I'm talking vibrant Adam, you remember this. Back in the day, Third Street Promenade was like the place to go for everything, and you just stroll down the street. You'd get a Wetzel's Pretzels. You'd go into Barnes and Noble browse the books. You'd go into all these stores never buying anything, or maybe you did, you know something little, but you could just spend a whole night there and you know, you'd run into people, you'd see people.
Speaker 2: It was just so great. Now it's gone through some ups and downs.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it's back on its way up after you know, pandemic really was tough on the outdoor malls. But anyway, so now they've got a new Google store there where you can check out the Pixel phones, they're watches, Nest devices. You can get a help desk, so if you need a screen repair, you can do that, or you need your device swapped, if you have a warranty on it, they can do that. This is their sixth store they've got them in New York Chicago Mountain View they're headquarters. And Boston, LA, of course, is a big market. Austin is up next and everything is on display. So if you're looking for an accessory for your pixel watch or your pixel phone, they've got it there. And that's what's so great about this is because I get it. There's five hundred Apple stores worldwide, but there's only six Google stores where you can see all of this stuff in person.
Speaker 2: And of course free Wi Fi. Just a great place to visit. Definitely check it out.
Speaker 1: Oh and by the way, if you look at the artwork, if you make it to LA and see this place, the artwork has a secret. It's pretty cool. If you look from the side, it completely changes color. I talk to the artist about that. It's made of like thousands of little strands of thread. Anyway, Google source Santa Monica now open.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: Eight to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich On Tech Weekly Weekly.
Speaker 2: That's my show on TV.
Speaker 1: More rich on Tech coming your way right after this the website rich on tech dot TV. During the breaks, I am furiously taking notes about everything I mentioned, and so we just had the question about the uh transcriptions of recorded meetings. So I put all of the services that I mentioned on the website, and you kind of have to pick the one that works for you. They're all kind of different, but I like aspects of each one of them. But the website that I was looking for that does it on the web. If you have a file, like an audio file that you want to transcribe quickly and easily and free, there's a website. It's a whisper Web. So it's actually hosted on hugging Face. So I have to it's a it's too long of a URL to give you over the radio. But if you go to the website rich on tech dot tv or just search hugging face whisper Web, that should bring you. Let me just make sure hugging Face whisper Web. Yeah, that'll bring it. That'll bring you right there. And that's completely free, and it does speech recognition transcription right in your browser, so it's nice in private, and that's a free way of transcribing stuff. If you have a Windows computer or a chromebook or a Mac whatever, it'll work on all those.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we're going to talk to doctor Gita, doctor g Uh, doctor Gita Nayir. She's gonn to talk about healthcare misinformation on social media. Yeah, there's a lot of it, so she'll talk about that. We had a question from Reggie in South Carolina that apparently I guess Reggie didn't want to be on the air, but was asking about tax time and software that you like, and so I will tell you what I used this year, which was absolutely incredible. I love it and it is so good. It's called fly Finn, flyfinn dot. I guess their websites flyfinn dot tax, but it's called fly Finnai. And this was one of the first guests I ever had on this show. And basically I found this app and it is incredible if you are even if you're not a freelancer, like it's just so easy because the way this app works, you download the app to your phone right and if you're a freelancer, this is like or whatever you are, it's still incredible. But basically what they do is that you connect your bank account to this app and then as you get transactions in those accounts, AI will go through and suggest if that's a write off or not, and basically put it into the categories as you go along during the year, and so when it comes to tax time, your taxes are like ninety nine point nine percent done. And then you can either do them yourself and just use all the categories and everything that you've already categorized, or you can use one of their CPAs to do it. And I will tell you with the caveat that the CPA seemed to be overseas because I got like a little warning that my tax return was being handled overseas. I think, so, you know, if you're comfortable with that, But I'm telling you, this is the easiest thing I've ever used in my life.
Speaker 2: And it's so easy. They handle everything, and so you go through.
Speaker 1: You have all this stuff on the app, and then the CPA asks you questions, so you'll get all these questions. You just respond with your answers. You send them all your documents if they need it. At the end of the year and they complete it all. And I was looking at it today, it was like ninety eight pages, you know, and you sign it all electronically, and it's it's really, really slick, so I think it's incredible and it's not that expensive. It's way cheaper than you know. I had a CPA do my taxes last year, and I'm not kidding. It was not a very good experience. I was not very happy and it was very expensive. And that's why I went back to the app. Because I did the app the year before it was almost too easy. I was like, all right, this is too easy and too cheap, like what's the catch? And then I used the CPA and I was like, this is too expensive and way too complicated. And now this year I went back to the app and I was just like, all right, this is the way it is. It's so easy, it's so great, and I love it. Like I can't speak highly enough of this. The pricing, you know, it depends. Okay, they've got three plans. Yeah, so they have a standard plan where if you're just individual then they've got the premium and the ultimate. But I'm telling you, oh, the other thing is, let's say you have during the year, Let's say you have an expense and you're like, I'm not sure if this is even a write off. I'm not even sure if this is deductible. You can flag it and your CPA the person they assign they have like all you know, even if you don't have your own CPA, like if you don't pay for that level, they still have a whole bunch of CPAs they employ that just look at these questions all day long and then respond to you. So if you went out to lunch with someone in discuss business and you're like, I don't know, is this a business expense? You flag that expense, it sends it to them. They take a look at it and say, oh, yeah, that's categorized under this boom done. I mean, it's really really incredible. It's called flyfinn aiflyfin dot tax is the website.
Speaker 2: I really like it.
Speaker 1: I tried doing the turbo tax thing, and I think that that's probably my second favorite.
Speaker 2: And the reason I like it, I know it's complicated.
Speaker 1: I know they you know, do all the stuff where they fight to make taxes complicated and all that stuff or people say they do. But I like it because they do a lot lot of returns and so it's like their strength in numbers where they've seen a lot of data and so anytime someone's seen a lot of data, I always like kind of like that. But you know, at the end of the day, look, going to like a person in your neighborhood is probably the easiest and nicest.
Speaker 2: But for me, you know, I like to do everything online.
Speaker 1: So to me, this worked eight and eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we'll talk misinformation when it comes to health on the internet.
Speaker 2: Let's go to uh Sureley in Long Beach. Surely you're on with Rich?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 12: Hi, Rich. I'm super excited. I'm starting my retirement degree and I have a computer I haven't used in three years. It is probably six years old. So I turn it on and it said battery half uh like depleted. So I just mean it for like word and typing in a class or typing notes at a meeting.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 12: But of course I want to say it and then send it, you know, send it somewhere as a PDF. So I was just wondering, what does what does that mean to me? With this battery half depleted. It's an HP it's I think it's a seventeen inch laptop, but it's super nice, hardly used, but I want to, you know, make use of something instead of just going out and getting another one.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, is it working?
Speaker 12: It turns on and then it goes right off. And it just said battery half So I'm like, can't you like to me, it's like, well, what's with the half battery?
Speaker 5: I can't If it.
Speaker 12: Took me a half battery for the first few years, cannot use the other half for the next like five.
Speaker 9: Months, three year?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you turn Okay, so this is an HP. What do you know the model now?
Speaker 12: If hand?
Speaker 2: So it's an HP. You've had it for six years. So does it work when you plug it in? Yes, it turns on, It turns on off, and then it goes right off.
Speaker 12: About the battery and then it goes off.
Speaker 2: Can you remove the battery?
Speaker 12: I haven't touched anything, but I don't know. Like, go ahead, and I'm listening. If you remove it, what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean, like, like, does the battery pull out of the Does the battery pull out?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 12: Probably because it's fairly new. I mean, it's not that old to me, it's not that all. I'm sure it will.
Speaker 4: But what about it?
Speaker 1: Well, if you could pull out the battery, then you could just replace the battery and get a new one, so I would, Yeah, so I would. I would bring this somewhere you can look up on Yelp, like a local repair shop, computer repair shop. If the computer is doing what you need it to do when it turns on, you know, if it's if it's going to accomplish the tasks you need, then I would just spend a couple, you know, a couple bucks on a new battery. It's probably HP replacement battery. Let's see how much that would be. I'm guessing like one hundred and fifty three to maybe three hundred bucks, but it all depends, you know, but I would. Yeah, I can't find a price on here right now, but that's what I would do. So HP has a so you can't get this thing to turn on at all.
Speaker 12: It goes on with that like a pretty screen saver, and then it says battery is half like done, have you?
Speaker 2: And that's when it's plugged in.
Speaker 12: When it's been plugged in overnight. I can't set it plugged in now just to see what happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've left it.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, like leave it plugged in for a long like longer than you think, and see what happens there. But if it's okay, So if it's if it's been plugged in overnight, which gives it plenty of time to charge that battery, and it's still not turning on, there's something going on there. And typically even with like a a laptop that the battery is depleted, it would still turn on with the Yeah, with the battery out.
Speaker 2: But okay, So I think what you need to do is I would bring this to a shop get an estimate. Where do you live? You said, Long Beach, Long Beach?
Speaker 1: Okay, so there are let's see here, there are places called you break I Fix.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of that?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So I would bring it there. They will give you a free estimate and see what that estimate is. And if it's I would say for a six year old computer to replace the battery, I would not spend more than one hundred and fifty bucks on that because six years for a Windows laptop, it's probably not going to be the best and you can get a new laptop for five hundred, six hundred dollars, So I would probably put my money more towards that than this repair.
Speaker 2: If it's more than that money that makes.
Speaker 9: Sense, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: Okay, so check that out and if you if you need a recommendation on a new laptop after you do this, but call me back next time. After you get this estimate, call me back and let me know what they say.
Speaker 12: Okay, off the top of your head, what would be a good college laptop, like an extensive like Lenovo or something like something to get.
Speaker 3: By to the next fight.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think the I think the MacBook Air at eight ninety nine for a brand new M four chip is going to be your absolute best choice because you're gonna get ten years out of that thing and it's going to be incredible.
Speaker 2: The battery life is going to be incredible. Airis four MacBook.
Speaker 1: MacBook Air M four and it just came out comes out actually on March twelfth.
Speaker 2: But I would go with that.
Speaker 1: That's going to get you through whatever you need for your studies and longer, and when you're done with it, you can pass it down to someone that also needs a laptop while you get a new one.
Speaker 7: So that's how great got awesome.
Speaker 12: Thank you, sir, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, Shirley, thanks for the call. Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Tom and Woodland Hills. Tom, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rich, good show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I've got a weird one for you. I've got Sonna's one speaker with the Summer's App, which has Alexa enabled, and I can play other iHeart radio stations like KOs and things like that, but I can't play KFI.
Speaker 2: Can't play Kfi. No, hmm, that's so why not?
Speaker 3: It says, hold on here, Alexa play Kfi.
Speaker 2: Okay, here, I hear it working.
Speaker 7: I'm right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I hear I heard it said. I'm having trouble playing that. Okay, So you're trying to do the voice assistant there. The short answer is, I'm not sure. I don't know if anything changed. I don't know if anything uh is going on in the background. I do know that things sort of happen sometimes that may impact that, But in general, can you bring it up through the app.
Speaker 2: Like if okay, so and.
Speaker 3: I will let's see.
Speaker 2: So it's just a voice.
Speaker 3: Itself in the Sonos app itself, I can't, but.
Speaker 10: You know I could use Wait, why can't you through the Sonos app? I don't know it just wouldn't do it, Okay, well if you so.
Speaker 1: If you go into your services on the sonosapp, there is an iHeartRadio service and that's kind of like a fool proof way of getting it to play.
Speaker 2: So I would try that.
Speaker 1: And sometimes these uh, these radio stations are also on that tune in, which also is on iHeart or sorry on sons, so I would check for it there as well, But bring those two serface in if something you know, and this, if this continues not working, you might try to disconnect your Alexa from Soos and bring it back, or do a restart of your son No system on the app, like just say restart your system. But you know, now I'm angry at Sonos right now in general because they have really failed me in the past year of their speakers, because I have them in every room and they I still can't adjust the volume across all my speakers with this new app.
Speaker 2: It's just like it's slow.
Speaker 1: One of my speakers skips every song, like it just it plays half the song and then skips it. So Sons and you know, the CEO recently either left the company or was pushed out, so they've been going through some issues with their quality control there, so maybe that's part of it, but you should be able to play it.
Speaker 2: So I would do those two steps.
Speaker 1: I would disconnect the uh maybe first restart your system, see if that helps them. Maybe disconnect the Alexa service, bring it back on board and see if that helps. But I do think all of this is going to get better when Alexa is infused with AI, because I think she's gonna be able to understand what we're trying to do a lot better. And even though you just said play KFI, I think you're gonna be able to do a lot more with Alexa when it comes to music and streaming and all that stuff once she understands sort of natural language commands.
Speaker 2: But Tom, I you know source subject for me?
Speaker 1: This so no no stuff because they just had the best speakers and service in the world until they decided to redo the app, and then just everything started going wrong after that, and I ended up getting rid of my speakers and replacing them with Amazon Echoes, and then that was fine. But I kind of like the grouping of the speakers and I like having them everywhere, and I like the app, and they're slowly but surely clawing their way back to a working system again, but it's been really, really tricky. Eighty eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We're gonna try to get our guests coming up to talk about medical misinformation. We'll see if we can get them on the line coming up right here on Rich on tech.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Steve in response to our last caller, says, I'm listening to Ki on the Alexa Echo Show right now, so it is working. So it's something to do with your So nos, all right, my next guest is going to break down the growing crisis of healthcare misinformation. Uh, doctor Gita Nayer, Doctor g welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Thank you so much for having me, Rich, So tell me.
Speaker 2: Let's let's just start with tell me what you do.
Speaker 1: First off, you've got you know, you're you've been on all kinds of places talking about healthcare, your doctor. So why are you interested in this idea of healthcare misinformation?
Speaker 11: Well, you know, Rich, I'm a doctor, a technologist as well as a best selling author on exactly this topic, miss and disinformation in the era of health tech, AI, social media, all the things we your viewers know and love and really because as a physician, I've just run into this so many times, and having come from a tech background, was previously chief medical officer of salesforce at and T. I understand the power of tech, and I believe in the power of tech, but you still got to understand what you're looking at.
Speaker 13: And what and how it affects your body. And so this has really become a passion project for me.
Speaker 1: So I imagine that are we talking Like basically people see this crazy stuff on TikTok and then they start doing it, or you know, it used to be you would just google like what your symptoms were, and you would just follow like what was it WebMD or something. And of course at the end of the day, I always made the joke like no matter what you have, you're gonna die because it's like you just go down this rabbit hole of like the worst possible thing, and then you go to the actual doctor and like, oh no, here, all you need is this little cream and you'll be fine.
Speaker 13: Exactly, you got it.
Speaker 11: Look in today's post pandemic world, the everyday consumer out there is really hungry and thirsty for healthcare information, and you're right, they're going.
Speaker 13: To doctor Google. But more often than not, they're going to doctor TikTok.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 11: We know that fifty nine million Americans turn to social media for questions about their health.
Speaker 13: And I think social media is a great asset.
Speaker 11: And tool, but you have to be mindful of what you're actually looking at, who is it that you're following, and that you understand and know when to take some of that information with a grain of salt.
Speaker 2: So how do you know? I mean, like, let's give an example.
Speaker 1: Now, this may not be medical, but you know there's a big trend right now of like eating your weight in protein every day or something ridiculous like that. So I mean that kind of stuff I feel like started on social media and we've seen a million of these trends. How do you know what's real what's not?
Speaker 11: You know, there's a couple of things you can do if you're out there and interested in your health. Number One, checking the source, Right is this something coming from if you're looking for something for your kids? The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Medical Association, the American Whatever Association.
Speaker 13: Right, So one looking for who is the source?
Speaker 11: Keeping in mind there are actually associations out there that are for patients, four people with diabetes, four patients with heart disease. They're always going to be prop gating information that is good for the consumer. So that's one two.
Speaker 13: Looking for inflammatory language, right the always or never.
Speaker 11: You know, the human body doesn't tend to work in extremes and complex scientific things can rarely have a simple solution or a hack like eating your weight in protein. Third, you have to understand your body is not the same as everyone's body. Right, If you've got kidney issues, I can tell you that's.
Speaker 13: A bad plan. So you've got to know your own body. You have to know your own health.
Speaker 11: And lastly, rich you've got to have your own doctor right when and where you can double check things and actually get personalized information that is for you, relates to your family history and look, I know access is an issue, depends if you have health insurance, depends where you are. It can take a while to get an appointment. But there are a lot of online virtual telemedicine services out there now. And so if you are feeling like you are reading a lot of stuff but you're quite unsure of what to do, make that doctor's appointment. It's going to help you make the final decision and also get you information that's just tailored to you.
Speaker 13: Not just to the general population.
Speaker 1: It's so wild, and I'll admit this for myself, but you know, when you have any sort of issue, you're always scared to go to the doctor because you don't want to find out what it actually is. But the reality is it's probably better to know what it is than to not.
Speaker 11: Absolutely prevention is always going to be the key medicine. We want you to get the mammogram, the colonoscopy before you get breast cancer of colon cancer, so it.
Speaker 13: Is always wise to know. It can be scary.
Speaker 11: I agree with that, and I understand that emotion, but you know, knowledge is power, and I love that patients want to read. I often exactly what we said. I often direct my patients when we make a new diagnosis like lupus, ma twitter athritis. I'll say, look, I want you to read everything and come back and ask me your questions. But here's the top three sites, here's the top three influencers that I follow, And so don't be afraid to have that conversation too with your doc, which is where should I be reading, what should I be aware of? And one more Tipperach, if they're selling something, if they're selling you a supplement, if they're selling you something for just nine to ninety nine or click here for this subscription, that's often a really big red flag because doctors are never going.
Speaker 13: To ask you to do that.
Speaker 1: Interesting, what do you think about chat GBT? And like, you know, AI is now kind of replacing the Google search. I know that I've uploaded some of my medical records when you can tell me if I'm wrong for doing that. But it's like kind of fascinating you think you're getting like this analysis, this expert analysis.
Speaker 13: Well, look again, I think knowledge is power.
Speaker 11: I love that people are more and more curious about the human body, and I think that's terrific.
Speaker 13: But again, chat GBT is a great source, Like ninety percent of the time, the truth is we still don't know.
Speaker 11: And again remember it's only as good as the information you give it, right, So I don't know if you uploaded your whole medical record. I don't know if they if you uploaded what has most recently changed. So being mindful that so much of AI is dependent on the data, and that we in healthcare have lots of gaps and data Doctors don't share information. Hospitals don't share information, so you have to be mindful that it's not a silver bullet. Right again, there is no real quick, easy button solution. I think it's great to be curious. I encourage anyone to read scientific sites, to follow actual doctors with licenses. Because here's the other thing rich, right, there's entertainment. There are entertainers out there that are making millions of dollars off of propagating this and disinformation, but they're not accountable the way that physicians nurses are accountable.
Speaker 13: If I give you bad advice, I can lose my license.
Speaker 11: So there is an incentive to be on the side of the consumer, which is very different from entertainment.
Speaker 1: That is such a good point, and I do back to your point about the medical history not being shared. That has got to be the most frustrating thing as a patient. That for me, like I would just imagine that somehow in AI and this will happen in the future, would have everything for my birth up until now in a file, and that way you can see patterns, you can see things emerging, and I'm waiting for that day and I know we're working on it, but it is a very slow process. All right, doctor G. What's the best way for folks to find you online?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 13: Thanks, rich I'm everywhere.
Speaker 11: I'm on Instagram, I'm on LinkedIn, I'm on x I'm easy to find me, genayor and I look forward to continue the conversation.
Speaker 13: With you and your viewers.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and I'll link you up on my website rich on tech dot TV. Doctor G, thanks for joining me coming up more of your calls right.
Speaker 2: Here on rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: YouTube has a new plan, YouTube Premium Light. Eight bucks a month gets you add free viewing, but there are some catches here, so it's cheaper than the full fourteen dollars a month for the premium plan.
Speaker 2: So what do you not get?
Speaker 1: Well, you get ad free videos on most YouTube and YouTube kids content that's mostly from creators. What it doesn't include, you'll still see ads on music content shorts obviously that's the biggest growing area of videos. So that's kind of a bummer and your search results. Plus, there's no YouTube music premium access, which means you can't download the YouTube music and get the free music there or add free music. There's no background play, so your videos will stop if you switch out of the YouTube app, and there's no offline downloads, so you have to have an internet connection to watch.
Speaker 2: But if you just want to watch.
Speaker 1: Your favorite videos from creators and you want no ads, eight bucks a month is a lot cheaper than thirteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: And I should mention this.
Speaker 1: I don't know if everyone's aware of this, but when you subscribe to things, how you subscribe determines how much you pay. So, for instance, if you go into YouTube the app on the iPhone and you go to subscribe to YouTube Premium, you're gonna pay like eighteen bucks a month for that. If you go to subscribe on Android, you're gonna pay thirteen ninety nine. The reason Apple takes a thirty percent cut of the fee that you pay every month to these services, and so a lot of times those services will make their prices higher on the iPhone. But people on the iPhone are nonetherwiser because you wouldn't necessarily think to.
Speaker 2: Go to the YouTube dot com website to subscribe.
Speaker 1: You're on your phone and so you're subscribing there, and so people on the iPhone, and it's also easier because you've got your payment methods saved and you can cancel the subscription and re sign up and all that stuff, But just be aware that the cheapest way to subscribe to any service that you're subscribing to may be the website directly on a desktop computer. Just remember that the next time you want to subscribe to something. Let's go to Jim and Malibu.
Speaker 2: Jim, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hi, Rich, thank you for taking my call. The question involves how to expand my network outdoors. I have a large piece of property about one and a half acres, and I have an old house with a lot of last and plaster walls. So the Wi Fi MISH signal that I have in the house is very limited. It only goes maybe twenty feet past the walls of the house. So what kind of solution should I be looking at to try and cover all the way to my front gate, which is sixty feet or seventy feet from the house, down to my workshop which is about one hundred and fifty feet from the house.
Speaker 2: Did you say you're in Malibu?
Speaker 9: Yes? Oh?
Speaker 8: Are you? Were?
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 2: Are you okay? From the fires? Did that affect you at all?
Speaker 8: Not this time?
Speaker 2: Okay, not this time?
Speaker 6: I know you.
Speaker 1: Not just one Yeah, it's been it's been really Uh my my thoughts are with everyone in Malibu and the Palisades.
Speaker 2: And all these areas they eat in area here.
Speaker 1: It's just it's been really really people think because it's not on their local news or their nightly news outside of La on a daily basis, but there are issues every single day with these people that were affected by this, Like people are still replaced, displaced in a huge way. People are still all over the city when they should be at home. It's just people lost so much stuff. I mean, it's really a problem. And I know it because my wife works a lot of the people that lost a lot and they are rebuilding and it's very, very slow.
Speaker 2: It is not an easy process.
Speaker 1: So anyway to your question, I think that you need to get outdoor and out a mesh system that supports an outdoor access point. So there are two notable systems that have outdoor access points. This is not going to be cheap, but Jim, you know, this is going to solve your problem and it's going to make your WiFi actually usable outside. But it's not going to be cheap, but you know that's that's what you get if you want to have this Wi Fi in these various areas, You've got to get a system that's gonna be able to handle what you have. And so the two systems that I would recommend Eero that's obviously my favorite. And this may require that you have to get a whole new system because these mesh networking systems do not interact with each other. So if you already have one you mentioned that you did this, this other one is not going to play nice with that, so you're gonna have to probably replace them all. But the good news is you do this once. It's gonna last for a while. But Euroo has an outdoor access point. It's three hundred ninety nine dollars. You could probably get it on sale. The usually euro stuff goes on sale a couple times a year, so I would watch for a sale on this and you know, just do a price alert. But that is going to cover you outside. This is Wi Fi seven, so it's going to have, you know, a stronger signal, a better signal, it's going to get through more of the stuff that you have out there, and it's going to work with any eurosystem that you have existing. So if you want to get one for your house, this will be compatible with that, and you can mount it outside and one of these may solve all of your problems. So a one pack is three ninety nine and a two pack is six seventy nine. And they're saying that will Wi Fi coverage per device is fifteen thousand square feet of outdoor coverage, so hopefully that should support what you need on this area, and you may able. What you would do is you would just mount this outside your house and then that signal hopefully would go to where your gate was where you said that was six sixty feet away, and then the back house where you've got the uh the work area that you mentioned, that would hopefully go there as well. So that's number one. The other one is TP Link and they've got a system called Deco Deco and they've got an outdoor system as well. Now this is a whole home mesh Wi Fi six unit. So does this come with six units? Oh no, this is I think Wi Fi six, Sorry Wi Fi six, not six units. Okay, So this one similar thing you've got. Let's see here. You can mount it on a tabletop, a wall mount, or a pole mount. It's outdoor certified, so waterproof and dustproof you can power it over Ethernet, so that means you can have your data connection and your electric power with a single cable. Now this one, you may be able to just connect one outside and just use a separate network for your outdoor stuff if you want to do that, and I guess you could do that with the Eero two. Personally, I wouldn't like having two different networks at my house. But if you want to keep the network that you already have and just install something outside, you can just run an Ethernet cable to this and boom, you've got it. And let's see this covers up to this as it covers up to twenty five hundred feet, so it might be less. Yeah, this is one twenty five hundred feet outdoors, so you might need more. You might need two of these, but what you can do is put one on one side of your house, one on the other side, and those should extend the Wi Fi to your outdoor that you need outdoors, which you said your fence and then also your workshop. But those are the two that i'd recommend.
Speaker 2: Tp Link.
Speaker 1: You know that they've been they're very popular company. I know they're out of China, so there's been some issues with the government talking about them and and worried about, you know, the privacy and security of those. But I have yet to see anything new on that ever since the government first mentioned something on it. But I use TP link stuff in my home. It's a very popular product, so I think you can probably use it with you know, as long as you make sure you have a private a good password, and use your name on there for your network, you should be okay. Eero is the Eero Outdoor seven, but those are the two i'd recommend, and thanks for the question today. Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website for the show rich on tech dot TV. A couple of things you can do there. You can find my newsletter, so if you're not one of the uh thousands that are subscribed to my newsletter, I send it out every weekend.
Speaker 2: It's free.
Speaker 1: You could just put in your email address you'll get that next week, and then you can also contact me. Just hit contact and if you hear something I mentioned, you can go to the show notes this is episode one twelve, or just hit the little magnifying glass and type in a keyword you are listening to Rich on tech. If you're wondering about AI, you want to kind of dip your toes into it, but you're worried about privacy. Duck Duck go, which you know they've made their name on being a very private search engine, they now have some AI features that you can check out that keep everything private, free and of course optional. So now they've got their AI assisted answers in search. They say it pulls from a wider range of sources beyond just Wikipedia, which it did in the past. And then they've got a website Duck dot ai, so Duck dot ai. And what's neat about this is that if you've been wanting to try the various AI chatbots out there, you can without any tracking, without any logins, and you can access let's see here, they've got chat ebt's model on here, they've got a meta model, they've got anthropics on there which is clawed so and they also have Mistral, which is the one out of Paris. So you can pick a chat model and use it without them, you know, without logging in and without them logging anything. So they don't store your chat history on their servers. Everything's done locally on your device. So if you've been wanting to try this stuff out, go to a duck Dot AI and there you go. Privacy remains their top priority, they said. Now, if you have the Duck Duck Go search engine, I know a lot of folks have switched to this for privacy reasons. You can have AI answers in your search engine. But now you can customize how often those answers appear in your search results, or you can turn those off completely. So again, not a bad way to go. Now, I noticed, you know, in the past, when people have asked me about Duck Duck Go, I've said I wasn't a fan of their their search results, like I said, you know, it's it's fine, but like Google's better. Well they must have heard me, because they said, we have improved our search results. So if you haven't tried them in a while, go ahead give us another shot. And so yeah, I mean, if you want to use Duck duck Go, go ahead, no pun intended.
Speaker 2: Let's see here.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go to Duck Duck Go privacy peace of mind, and let's do a search here and let's see what the results look like. Yeah, I mean, you know, look, it's you know, some of their stuff comes from MSN, so it just depends. I mean, look, I still think that Google is probably going to have the best search results because it's Google. I mean, they've have like a seventy percent market share or maybe even more, but it's probably more.
Speaker 2: It's probably like eighty six percent. Who am I kidding?
Speaker 1: But you know, if you want to if you want something that's a little bit more, I understand. As soon as you search something in Google, it's going to show up all across your everything, because that's the way it is. Let's see here, oh pixel Speaking of Google, if you have a pixel phone, you got a whole bunch of new features. So they do these things called pixel drops every so often. It used to be like once a month. Now they just do them whenever they've got a new one. But a whole bunch of new features if you have a pixel phone, so definitely do that. Software update first off, Gemini Live. This is their AI now supports forty five languages without changing any settings. How wild is that You could just literally start chatting with this thing in all different languages and it will figure out what you're saying and respond. That's incredible. Now, it's got AI powered scam detection. You know, earlier I was talking about that tip to you know, get rid of the scam calls on your phone. Well, this actually has scam detection, so it literally listens to your phone call on the device, so it's private, and it uses AI to detect if there's a fraudulent call or text in real time. So what it's doing is it's listening for someone to say, hey, I've got some great crypto you should purchase, or I love you, please send me crypto, And next thing you know, the pixel will jump in and say, hey, we think this is a scam. So that's pretty interesting. I have not tested that feature, but I don't even know how I test it. I guess I can do a phone call with someone and then have them start Adam, you should do that. You should call me and say like, I love you, here's some crypto I need you to buy. Get me a plane ticket please, I want to come meet you.
Speaker 2: That sounded weird. Satellite SOS they're.
Speaker 1: Expanding now now available in Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, and Canada, so that means you can stay connected to emergency services without cell phone, without cell service or Wi Fi just think about that for a second. You can now travel with this pixel phone anywhere in the US, in Hawaii, in Alaska, in Europe, in Canada, and if there's an issue, if you are somewhere without a cell's you can still get help. That is incredible that we have that feature in twenty twenty five. I am amazed at that Verizon and T Mobile customers have additional text via satellite for Verizon for emergencies, T Mobile users can text nine one one over satellite as well.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else.
Speaker 1: Pixel Watch now detect non traditional movement like pushing a stroller, using a wheelchair, or hiking with poles, so more accurate activity tracking there. And then the g board, you know this is your your typing, your keyboard. It got a new voice toolbar, so if you want to see more of your screen while your voice to text, you can minimize the typing the keyboard and just still do voice to text. So if you want to see your whole screen while doing voice to text, you can do that as well. Rolling out to pixel devices right now, so if you have a pixel definitely do that softwareupdate. Those things just get better every day. And T Mobile, if you have a T Mobile. If you're a T mobile customer, you know they have this thing called T Mobile Tuesday. They've had it since twenty sixteen. Their latest perk is one free slurpy every month, so you can go to a seven to eleven or a Speedway. Who knew Speedway is owned by seven eleven. I guess now we know. You got to claim the perk through the T mobile the Tea Life app, and it's available not just once, but this is an ongoing thing. It's already started, so I guess. I guess what you do is you claim it in the app and then you can just use it at the store. And by the way, you can pick from a small, medium, or large slurpee. So you know, if you're a T mobile customer, it's funny because Verizon's got something similar. If you look in your Verizon app, they've got something called like my Offers or something Verizon has similar to this. It's not as like Robust, but they do have some offers in there, so check it out, especially for concert tickets. AT and T tried something called at and T Thanks, they gave up on it, but T mobile is still going strong. Like you get some good benefits if you're a T mobile customer. So now you can have a slurpee. I know my kids would be excited about that. Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one website Rich on tech dot Tv.
Speaker 2: Coming up, We're gonna talk to Stephanie Humphrey.
Speaker 1: She's gonna talk about digital citizenship for kids and teens on social media.
Speaker 2: So, uh, this is a big deal digital citizenship.
Speaker 1: Kids are on social media, teens and we're all trying to figure out, especially as parents, what the best ways of doing this stuff is. And here to talk about that is Stephanie Humphrey. Welcome to the show, Stephanie so much.
Speaker 15: We're having me Rich Happy to be here.
Speaker 1: The website Stephanie Humphrey dot com. So you do this talk a lot? What at schools and stuff?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I talk to students. I have a version of till defutweet did I do for parents? There's one for professionals. But I've been doing this for over ten years now, just trying to help kids understand what it means to be mindful and intentional with their Internet use.
Speaker 1: What do you think you said you've been doing this for ten years? What do you think the biggest change has been in those ten years since when you started doing this, Man.
Speaker 13: Honestly, not a lot.
Speaker 14: I just spoke to some kids probably about a month ago, and the same issues that I was seeing way back when are the same issues that we're having right now.
Speaker 15: And it really, you know, I had to sort of amend what I say to parents because.
Speaker 14: They always want me to tell them like what apps specifically not to be on, or or what tool to download to monitor their kids.
Speaker 15: And I'm like, the tech kind of almost doesn't matter in a sense. It's really just the nature of the Internet and the way it behaves and the way you respond to it.
Speaker 14: You know, the Internet doesn't have anything to do with whether or not somebody's a good person, you know.
Speaker 15: So it really does sort of boil down to what you're teaching.
Speaker 14: Your kids about how to engage with other people, whether it's online or in real life.
Speaker 1: So, what are some of the biggest risks parents should be aware of when it comes to their kids and social media.
Speaker 14: Well, I think the first the biggest thing is the lack of age verification. They're still to this day is no way to know who the person you're talking to on the other end of that Internet is so you know, I have kids all the time that think, you know, well, I can just get them to FaceTime me, or I can just ask them. There is no way, no legitimate way beyond some type of serious age verification with IDs and Social Security numbers and whatever to really know for certain unless you know that person already in real life. There really isn't a way to know that you're talking to somebody on the other end of that Internet that is your age.
Speaker 15: That's not an adult.
Speaker 14: And I think, you know, you talk about current trends that are different from ten years ago. I think we're going to start to see a lot more sort of problem in streaming. It just leaves itself open to so much because it's live, because you don't really get a chance to think about the things that you're doing while you're streaming, and you don't get to think about those consequences. So I think we're going to start to see because we already saw a little problem with some grooming that was happening with with alleged let me put it that way, grooming that was happening recently on Twitch.
Speaker 15: So yeah, streaming is gonna be a situation for parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's it's kids don't realize that this stuff is permanent. Like you're live streaming, you say something off the cuff and know it's still there after you, you know, are done live streaming. And same thing with like even Snapchat. I know it's so popular because it's quote unquote disappears exactly.
Speaker 2: It does not.
Speaker 15: It does not, and they don't think about that. And that's why I say, like, not a lot.
Speaker 14: Has changed because because young people don't really think past the post. They you know, do what they do to get the clicks and the likes or the engagement, and they're not really thinking about that, and they're not really thinking about.
Speaker 15: The broader internet.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 14: They may only have one hundred friends or one hundred and fifty friends that follow them and that they follow back, so they think that what they do is always going to be contained to that small group and it's not the possibility for things to go viral. Happen every single day online and it can happen with you know, your kid as well.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's so true.
Speaker 1: That's such a good point that people just think of their audience like, oh, this is just my friends. Oh no, just one screenshot away from that going anywhere in the world. So do you recommend any tools or apps from monitoring or managing, like, do you have some recommendations?
Speaker 15: I do like Bark. Bark is super comprehensive.
Speaker 14: It's one of the best tools out there because it's actually looking for sort of nuance in emails and text messages, suicidal ideation.
Speaker 15: You know keywords website blocking, blocking and you know.
Speaker 14: So Bark I think is one of those ones that really could help because it is so comprehensive.
Speaker 1: And you talk about parents, you know, teaching their kids. What should parents be teaching their kids is it? Is it the non ephemeral aspect of this stuff that you think it's going to go away and it doesn't.
Speaker 15: That's one of the most important things.
Speaker 14: One of the things that I found that really resonates with young people when I go into schools to talk about them is to think like a brand and not instead of thinking like a man, think like a brand and think about, you know, what you're putting out there into that digital space and how it represents you in the same way. You know, brands like Nike have to think about colors and logos and things like that. We have that same thing in our personal brand that we need to be thinking about. And that really does tend to resonate with kids because now it gives them a little bit of ownership right of what they do online and how they might be perceived and how they might do damage to that brand.
Speaker 15: So we always start to comversation there with personal brand.
Speaker 2: And what are some of the questions you get from kids?
Speaker 1: Like what are some of like the kickbacks you get from them, like are they're like, come on, does this really matter what I say on you know, Instagram.
Speaker 14: Once once we have that conversation and put it in that perspective, it shifts the entire conversation. It really really does, And now they want to know, oh my god, my brand, you know, because kids these days they all want to be influencers and different things like that. So you know, they they really start getting a little worried that they need to kind of make sure that they're representing themselves in the best way.
Speaker 1: I always have the joke back when Twitter was a little bit bigger than this now, like people you would see like this random person on Twitter and they'd be like a you know, person you follow, and they were nice and everything was business, ye, But then all of a sudden when they have like a flight delay, they just turn into like this evil, like meanest person ever because they're like complaining to the airline how like you know, it's delayed or their flight, and it's like it always cracked me up.
Speaker 2: It's like this Jecklin hide thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, here's this person you follow, and like all of a sudden, it's like, oh my gosh, that was so mean about it's their minds.
Speaker 15: And you're like what happened?
Speaker 14: And it can be just that instantaneous thing that you know, gets you canceled or something.
Speaker 15: So we just have to be more mindful about how we engage on the internet.
Speaker 2: What about AI and all this stuff? How is that kind of uh?
Speaker 1: I mean I've heard of like the the issues high schools are having with these AI nude pictures and all this stuff.
Speaker 14: Yes, and we're going to see a lot more of that. That's one thing that we didn't see ten years ago. Right, We're definitely going to see a lot of the deep fakes happening. You know, law and law enforcement and our laws on our books are going to have to catch up with that kind of thing, you know, as they add that to what it means to do revenge porn and things like that, and then we really are just going to have to you know, disclose these kind of things when we're using them as tools and not add to that AI slop, if you will. So you really got to do your own due diligence when you're sharing things online to not add to that noise.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to me that these nude I guess texts or whatever they are are like actually a thing like this is a thing that is like very acceptable in the culture at this point, with not just young people but a lot of people like sending these pictures back and forth. Yeah, And it's like this is a picture that is not going to go away, and it's, by the way, very easily shared with other people. And we see the issues associated with that over and over, especially if you're a teenager sharing this stuff.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and and and that's one of the things I talk about as well.
Speaker 14: I tell students like this will never go away, and it is guaranteed to be shared, you know, even if it's just a boyfriend or a girlfriend, and they promise you that no one will ever see it.
Speaker 15: And I know this is kind of just the way.
Speaker 14: You know, romance happens with young people these days and in a lot of cases, but you know, we have to do a better job as adults, I think, to let young people know that this type of thing is permanent.
Speaker 2: Steph. What do you like about all this stuff you cover? Technology? Cover this? What's your kind of like? Why do you like doing this?
Speaker 15: It's just I love helping people. I'm an engineer by trade and training.
Speaker 14: I was an engineer for thirteen years, so you know, this is sort of my wheelhouse, and I see how it can be.
Speaker 15: That tool that can help us when it's used properly.
Speaker 14: So you know, I've sort of made it my mission to make sure that people understand how to use it to make their lives easier and not harder.
Speaker 2: All right, best place for folks to follow you.
Speaker 14: All around the weback tech Life, Steph. Or head to my website at Stephanie Humphrey dot com.
Speaker 15: And sign up for my newsletter.
Speaker 1: All right, we love the newsletters. Stephanie Humphrey, Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 15: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Take care all right. Coming up, we are going to get through a couple more news items.
Speaker 2: Let's see what do we have here.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll tell you about the biggest scams in twenty twenty four, according to the Better Business Bureau. Plus, I will open up the feedbag that's coming up right here on rich on Tech. If you want notes or a link to anything I talk about on the show, this is episode one twelve. Just go to the website look for that, or just tap the magnifying glass and type in a keyword and that should literally bring you right to whatever I mentioned before we open up the feedback.
Speaker 2: Couple of items of note.
Speaker 1: Better Business Bureau says financial grooming scams lead to the biggest losses in twenty twenty four. So they analyzed all of the scams of last year and found that investment scams, especially involving cryptocurrency, are the number one riskiest scams. Average reported loss yeah five thousand bucks. Financial grooming scams are growing. This is when scammers build trust over weeks or months, convincing their victims to invest in fake platforms, and then, of course by the time they realize it's too late, it's wild. But yes, people do fall for the stuff. Employment scams a number two median loss of fifteen hundred dollars. These target often target young job seekers. I get those things all the time. You know, hey, we got a great job for you. It's the text message like come on. If you're responding to that, don't do it. Romance scams number three, Oh wow, highest median loss of any scam at six ninety nine. Online purchase scams dropped to number four. Social media is a major risk. Almost fifty percent of reported scams started when people responded to social media ads or posts. Top impersonated brands, Publishers Clearinghouse, the USPS, PayPal, Amazon, and Spectrum the most faked companies. The takeaway here if someone you meet online wants to help you invest money, it is a scam.
Speaker 2: And there we go. That's okay. Sound like someone got electrocuted.
Speaker 1: AI is driving smartphone upgrades. Why do you think all these companies are advertising AI because their numbers are telling them people are buying new phones because of it. Assurant looked at the mobile trade in and industry trends. Let's see, people are holding onto their phones for about three point six years on average now before upgrading. That's forty three months. iPhone owners kept their devices for an average of three point seven eight years previously now it's three point six y three after the launch of the iPhone sixteen, So now it used to be forty five months. iPhone users we're keeping them. Now it's forty four months. Android users kept their devices for three point six seven years. Then when the S twenty four launch, three point three eight years, forty four months versus forty one. So basically, people are upgrading faster now because of AI. AI demand is growing. People want it on their phone. By the way, you can get AI on any phone, just download CHATCHIBT. Daylight saving Time is it daylight saving time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It is this weekend.
Speaker 1: I never understand this, but yes, daylight it's not daylight savings time, it is daylight saving time.
Speaker 2: I do know that I grew up you know journalism, you know trained.
Speaker 1: Samsung looked at sleep patterns from their Samsung Health users. They're very clear to say, we got their permission to look at the data. And it's of course anonymized Daylight saving time throws off sleep for weeks, not just one night. People fall asleep thirty three minutes later and they wake up nineteen minutes earlier than night of the change, So be prepared. Probably gonna wake up early. Those in their twenties struggle the most. Even three weeks later, it's still unstable. So it takes a while for our bodies to adjust to all this stuff. And they say that the best way to deal with the change is to prioritize sleep. I know a lot of people that prioritize sleep. You know, that's their deal. They just like to sleep. I'm like, a I like to sleep, but I don't need I don't. I do prioritize it, but I'm not one of those people that's crazy if.
Speaker 2: I don't get my sleep.
Speaker 1: Like there's some people I know, I'm not gonna mention names that if they don't get their eight or nine hours, they're.
Speaker 2: Like, the whole day is just ruined. My whole day. I didn't sleep last night. I didn't sleep, Okay, So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I love giving people a hard time about sleep because I wake up very early, and I don't I make light of sleep.
Speaker 2: I like sleep.
Speaker 1: I think it's very important for your health. But anyway, all right, let's open up the feedbag. Did you bring a did you bring a sound effect this for the feedbag?
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: That sounds like the price is right, all right, Kevin from tahatch A Pee rites in rich, I wanted to share an important benefit of the iPhone sixteen E that many may not realize. My son has a pacemaker and is one hundred percent pacemaker dependent. Mag Safe devices can interfere with pacemakers, so he was limited to using an iPhone eleven. Now, with the iPhone sixteen E, he can upgrade without worrying about mag safe while still getting all the latest features he's I had to finally have a newer iPhone. I know he could have switched to Android, but his industry requires him to use an Apple device for text threads.
Speaker 2: AH see that.
Speaker 1: This is why I love this show. There's angles that I may not think of. And so yeah, people might say, oh boo the iPhone sixteen and he doesn't have MagSafe. Some people are welcoming that. Eric from Marana Arizona writes in you miss Jeff's issue with nord pass in your last podcast. He was going to a website login page, entering his username and then nord pass generated a password, expecting nord pass to inform the website of the new password. Since the site already had a stored password, the generated one wouldn't work, he needs to log in first as usual, then nord pass will ask if he wants to save that password. The password generator should only be used for setting up a new account or when resetting a password. Well, now I'm confused again. Maybe that's why I didn't understand the question the first time.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Bob writes in I was listening to your radio show and thought, wow, he is really good. You lead with kindness, never make anyone feel like their question is stupid, and always take the time to answer.
Speaker 2: You're doing an amazing job, and I just wanted to let you know that. Well, thank you, Bob.
Speaker 1: Well, I take the time to answer because I'm on the radio anyway, So that makes sense, I guess.
Speaker 2: But no, thank you for that. I do appreciate it, and I guess we have another nice one.
Speaker 1: Derek from Wisconsin writes in Rich, I saw your Facebook post about the rude comment from a listener.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I posted that.
Speaker 1: A listener said I didn't respond to their email in time, so they said you lost a listener. I mean it was like a couple of days I missed their email. Okay, I get a lot of emails, I mean a lot.
Speaker 2: I saw your.
Speaker 1: Facebook post about that rude comment from a listener. You handled it beautifully. I've been a faithful and appreciative listener for many years. I always enjoy your passion for technology, lighthearted sense of humor. Yes, it is very lighthearted. It's more like dad humor and helpful tips and tricks. Although our paths have never crossed, I can honestly say you are the nicest person I've never met. Oh wow, I don't pay people to write this stuff. Keep up the tremendous work making a very positive difference in the world. Thank you, Derek. That's what I say to my wife every day. You see, I say, I'm making a difference in this world. I'm making a positive, great difference. You may not see it right now, but yes, the world does.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: I'm just you know, look, I love the emails. I do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding when I tell you I get emails like this, and they just put a smile on my face because I get it. Like I'm not sitting here on a radio show talking about all the great emails I get from people. Oh wait, yes I am. Okay, well, never mind, okay, I'll stop. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on the website go to Richontech dot tv. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. Next week we are going to talk about how to spring clean your PC. Maybe you don't want to buy a new one, you just want to make it run like new. We have a great guest that's going to talk about how to spring clean your PC. Kimber streams from the Wirecutter. Plus they're gonna talk about the best laptop for around five hundred bucks. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks everyone who makes this show possible. Thanks to kim on Phones, Adam in for Bobo today.
Speaker 2: You for listening. My name is rich Dmiro. I will talk to you real soon.