Speaker 1: Welcome back to Unplug, our weekly look around sports, culture and entertainment. Jack. We had a week off last week. We were busy shaking the bacon. But shit has gone on since the last time we connected. Me and you were both in Alabama Rick wood Field for Juneteenth. Shout out our brother c C. Sabathia of the MLB and Uninterrupted for having us out there for the charity softball game, which we had a blast at. Yeah, how was your experience out there?
Speaker 2: Man? Like I said, I was just worried about all the smoke. Putting on a good show. You know what I'm saying that we call ourselves athletes, and we did not let down. My brother. You won the MVP, put on a great showing. I think it was only two home runs hit the whole game, right, you and Ryan Howard? You and him the one here home runs. You got the MVP. Y'all beat our ass. Our team was terrible, but but we had fun.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I think we both put on a great show on and CC and MLBING un Interrupted put on the great event.
Speaker 1: Man. I mean they took care of everybody. They laid everything out.
Speaker 2: So I want to say I appreciate y'all and any time they have event like that, man, bring all the smoke back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, obviously, rest in peace. The night before the game, the late great Willie Mays moved on at the age of ninety three. The rick Wood Field is the oldest baseball park in the United States. It was where Jackie Robinson, excuse me, where Willie Mays played his first game of professional baseball seventeen. Jack did you get a chance to see Reggie Jackson discuss what they went through there when Alex Rodriguez asked him about it? You know, I've seen him my mama's son and tell me that that was dope, that was raw and real. And Reggie Jackson obviously super super o g one of the greatest. Mister October, he didn't he didn't hold back at all, man, He really let people knowing. And really what struck me hearing that story obviously, because you know, I'm a big fan of baseball and watched the Jackie Robinson story and saw all the shit they had to go through. The fact that people are trying to erase that part of history. People want to not discuss what's really happened. And to me, how do you ever move forward? And get better. We really don't understand the shit that came before. So I really want to shout out Reggie Jackson and obviously Alex Rodriguez, you know, asked the question to kind of tip that off. But it was real, raw and uncut. So if you missed that, make sure you guys go check that out. Man. It was a real experience of how players used to have to move back then Uncay, real for real. I just got back, so I should jack. I went from that to Arizona. Sections how was Arizona? It was dope, man. It was hot as man Hell's kitchen. It was like one ten, one twelve out there. But went out there to check out the biggest high school basketball tournaments in the country. Uh, teams from all over we're out there and and uh it was good. I got to see a lot of the kids I coach and a lot of the big up and coming kids. And it was up Twins team one there. They're the championship in their bracket play. It was hot, but they was hot too. Yeah, No, they was Hooperman their team. You know, their team lost their best player he transferred to another school. And our team was really young. Outside of that, so now it's the twins and a couple other their you know, kids are going to be sophomores have to step up and they did, man, So it was it was dope. A ton of dads out there. I saw Jamal Crawford out there. We talked a little bit about the Laker job and if he's gonna join JJ's staff, which we'll get into a little bit later. But yeah, man, great event. Shout out Section seven. How was the Big Three? The Big Three was cool? Man. We off to a bad start ohing too.
Speaker 2: I missed the first game because I had to be down there promoting all the smoke fighting, all the smoke boxing for the fight with with Tank Davis last weekend, but I mean the week for last, but last this week, and we was in Tampa. Uh one thing about it. I can say this shout out to Tampa. Man sold out arena. I'm talking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah man.
Speaker 2: They came out and support them man, And it was The games were great. We was down twenty to Doctor Ja's teams. Doctor Jas teams doing a great job this year. They all took a good start. It was down twenty, got the game back to six and missed the free throw to get the ball back to keep the game going. So but three three losses and big three you guarantee not to make the playoffs. So we got to win out.
Speaker 1: So let's see it. We can do it. How many more games you guys got this, yere O and Tree? You got eight more games? Yeah? I got six? Yeah, I got no, we got ten weeks? Yeah, so seven more games? Yeah? Yeah, the last week. That last week is the championship. Good luck with that. I want to shout out everyone out here who helped us sell out the first round, the nearly of our new mezcal A Medios. We appreciate you. We sold out the first batch. We want to continue to build on that growing now. We got to get that in some restaurants around our areas. And yeah, drinking NEOs, go get it. It's out there. People are really fucking with it too, Jack. Obviously, we're not just saying it because it's our But you know, we've had some real people who drink and taste and critique and I haven't heard anything bad.
Speaker 2: And you know, hey, Matt, and you know what, we've been drinking and we taste a lot of different ways to drink it. But I'm telling you an ice cube. That's all you need. I'm telling because it's because it's not that they don't make you do all that. And it got that light smokes like smoke finished to it. I'm telling you, bro, a nice ice cube and a little shot of that.
Speaker 1: Man, just sip on that. I'm telling you, Man, you out of here. Tell that shit then, Jack also, somebody out of it. It's not necessarily a shooting mescal. But if you do shoot it, make sure you get you an orange and some cinnamon sugar or change your life. Remember you heard it here. But anyway, thank everybody. Batch two on the way, Jack Local News Lakers. JJ Reddick is the new head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. A lot of hate is going to my dog, JJ, and I understand it. You know, some people are calling the white privilege the post. He's calling him the poster boy for it. Uh. You know, obviously no previous coaching experience on his resume, but a very articulate, high i Q guy, someone I played with, someone I really fuck with and believe in. But you're seeing you know, Sam Consale has been out there for a long time as an assistant coach has won some rings and hasn't got a look. But what do you think? I guess this is two part question about JJ sliding into this hot seat and then for the coaches that are out there that are assistants that haven't really got the nod yet for big opportunities. Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, one, it's definitely coaches out there that deserve it way more than JJ. They played it but has paid their dues that that has proven. There's one championship that's done the work that's that's went to Uh, all these coaching camps and schools that they tried to force them to tell them that they had to go.
Speaker 1: To to eventually be a coaching job.
Speaker 2: It's a whole bunch of coaches that did all that and still ain't no, still ain't nowhere close to getting the head coaching job. So uh uh it is, and it is. It is privileged. There ain't no secret about that. We understand that. Everybody sees that. Yeah, JJ is privileged. And can you smell what the rockets cooking? Because I could when I smelled it when him and Lebron was doing the podcast, I smelled I knew, I knew all this was getting cooked up. But I will say this as a player and as somebody who knows JJ and played with JJ for a short time, you know, and he's a brother of mine too. That motherfucker know the game. He seems super smart. I don't think he's dedicated to it. And uh, even if we say it's privileged, I mean he gonna go in there, and I mean he can't do a worse job than anybody else that's going in there. I know it's a lot of pressure on him, and you know, a lot of guys don't don't don't get that first job where they coaching Lebron James and Anthony Davis. He's definitely blessed with that. But at the same time, it's not an easy job. It's not easy as people think it's gonna be a hard job for JJ. But I think he's up for it, and I'm confident in him, you know what I'm saying. Like I said, I I'm happy for him, But I understand the side where everybody's staying.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, I mean I hear the outside knows, and I get it, whether it's white privilege or Lebron privilege. At the end of the year, I don't think JJ could worry about that shit. The job is his now, and there's been coaches that have come from similar circumstances that don't have coaching experience and have been successful in this space, So I'm not worried about that part. I think JJ is going into the hottest seat in professional sports, and you have to perform or they're gonna get your ass out of there. So I think it's important for him to surround himself with a good staff. Like I said, I saw Jamal this weekend and talk to him. Actually talked to Rondo yesterday too, So it'll be interesting if either of those two guys, or maybe even both those guys get an opportunity to coach alongside JJ. I think he needs to maybe you know, an older veteran head assistant or assistant, which will help. But you know, that's why I don't want to cut you'all map.
Speaker 2: But that's why the work what you just said, because we ain't never seen no coach of staff whereas all players like that, you know what I'm saying, Like now, what you're talking about, that that'll make it work because we've never seen the.
Speaker 1: Staff like that. And that's my whole thing, Jack today, These days. Obviously, execution and X and OSes are important, but to me, it's less about that and more about relating to the players. And I'm even seeing that at the you know, the high school stage, the junior high stages, you got you got to be able to relate to these people, to get through to him and gain their trust and then try to take them to where you feel like they need to go. So I think JJ will be good at that. I think he's going to bring some younger people in a good mix of probably older people into help facilitate that. But you know, I wish him the best of luck. Again, I hear all the noise and this white privigist and lebron privilege that at the end of the day, again, JJ can't worry about that ship. He's got to go out there and he's got to get you know, a job to do, a tough job to do. So I'm definitely dorted forward to seeing what he does. Sam Pasel, you know, someone who I played for or he was assistant coach on Doc Rivers staff, got a chance to know saying really, well, great dude, will he be passed over? Will he get any kind of look? Fifteen year assistant. I'm not mistaken. He's won a future is it one championship as assistant? This is first. I think his first championship as an assistant. Don't don't, don't quote me. I think he has three or yeah, yeah, as a player is a assistant, that's right. So but Jack, sometimes these guys get stuck in. These guys but a ton of basketball, like you get stuck in the assistant coach a job in their career assistance and it's it's solid money, it's a good living. But they never get that first seat. So I wonder if Sam will be someone that kind of falls victim to that or someone are they gonna give me a shot?
Speaker 2: What do you think? I mean, I hope he gets your shot. I mean that's my OG two. When I came in the league, he was my my consulate at the Look at Transition program. Sam has always been solid, you know, even when I was coming up playing in Houston, he used to always show me love. And I think this point like when you pay your dues, Matt, when you win championships as a player, when you be on teams where you won championships and you coach for a long time with some of the greatest coaches. I don't think it should be a point with to the point where they keep pushing you to the back of the line. But what reason. We don't know, you know what I'm saying, because it's a question. It's a lot of things going to it. You know, some season, Yeah, go ahead. Some people say, you know, some people say you don't interview good But I'm like, what does that mean? He has all the end of the interview is in the education and the experience is the best teacher. He have all experience in the world. So if if you want to interview him, the interviewers just should be ship. My resume is right here, this is what I've been doing this how long I've been around the game. But but but you know when you go to them interviews, they don't go the same for black and white. So you know what I'm saying. They never do in no offices, so not just basketball. So yeah, I just think it's making it hard for him, mat But you know that that's not nothing new.
Speaker 1: He's not the first and he's not the last. It happens. It's been going on for a long time, and.
Speaker 2: I think Sam, you know, going to continue to do what he gets got to do it into into the opportunity comes, and if it don't come, you know what I'm saying, I think it'll be fucked up. But I think Samon continue to be a professional, continue to be one of the best, you know, assistant coaches he can, you know what I'm saying, that's the ron as long as he can.
Speaker 1: But he definitely deserved that shot. Yeah, I mean, the one thing I will say is, I mean, I think we've all seen the influx and in black coaches in the NBA. So when I see that and I see more black coaches than we've ever had, I wonder what has been the reason why he hasn't really got that opportunity, whether it be interviewing, maybe if people don't feel like he is like someone that can demand the respect in the locker room. I don't know what it can be, but you know, being around him and knowing his IQ and how much he loves the game, he definitely should have gotten a look. But also there's a couple of other guys that come to mind, our brother Phil Handy someone for sure. It's interesting that you know, with his resume, what he's been able to accomplish if he's one what four championships as an assistant, I don't know. We talk about it, the way he reacts and relates with the players and how much the players fuck with him. To me, I'm thinking like, if I'm really a gim or if I'm a GM or I'm an owner, that's the kind of shit I'm looking for and a coach, And he's a perfect example of it. And our brother Rico Hines is a perfect example of being able to and and knows the game and can relate to these guys and can get through these guys. So you know, I'm definitely hoping, you know, Sam phil Enrico A'll get a shot in these next coming years because they definitely, you know, deserve it. We were in Alabama while LA was going crazy Kendrick like that that teen concert jacket did a lot. It did a lot, and you know from what I'm seeing, Uh, they just actually just shot a video to not like us, I think two days ago in Compton. This wave is crazy right now, this Kendrick wave. First of all, what he was able to do ju Juneteenth and and you know, sell out the form and bring all those different black men and women together on that stage, Jackeman, and I'm not even in the games. I've been in LA for a long time, you know, and play that. You know that I'm off to the side. I know everybody, but I don't fuck with it. But if I'm not mistaken, there was at least eight, ten, twelve hoods in there, you know. Mostly I'll just leave it that there was a lot of people that he was able to bring together on that stage for unity, even if it was for one night. A lot of people calling that one of the most historical things that have happened in music, particularly hip hop, for our culture. So what was your thought when you see Damar and Russ and just all them other rappers up there unified this Drake and Kendrick Beef overall really bought the West Coast together. But I think what he did on Juneteenth took it to another level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I know, POC smiling down, man, I know, oh man, I know POC smiling down down real man.
Speaker 1: I was about to say that too.
Speaker 2: I know, I know POC smiling down, But I was going to say, I know, nipples in the building, nipples in the building, dog, because for for for it to get to this point where you know, he he he already didn't you know, didn't put the nail in the coffin with the battle and to do this show in June teeth and bring everybody out to show that unity on the West Coast where you know, the gang violence has been so high and that's that's and people still trying to glorify it. For him to bring everybody together on that stage on that day, you know, on one of his biggest moments, Man, that said a lot. That said a lot, And not just for hip hop and not just for the West Coast, Matt, I think it's just for everybody. Everybody that was able to see that and understand the magnitude of what Kendrick did. You know what I'm saying, You don't have to be from the West West Coast to understand the mac to what he did. If you from any neighborhood or any city where you come from the bottom, when you see stuff like that, you you know what that means.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: So I got to salute him, top Dog and everybody that was on that stage, man, because that was a beautiful moment that we all can embrace and appreciate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a different frequency of different buzz and la of late and and and obviously I think that's that's attributed to what what Kendrick has has been doing. And to me, it's above the back and forth beef, you know what I mean. I think you know, both both these guys are very talented. You know. Although I feel like, you know, Kendrick has done this thing and kind of shown he came out on top of this, I think Drake is still going to be fine. Drake is a talented motherfucker who makes hit after that have to hit to hit. But again, I look at the bigger picture of what he's been able to do Kendrick as far as this unity and uh bringing everybody together. So I'm mentioned to see what this this this video, uh looks like there was no violence, thank god, but they were able to shoot them, not like us video just the other day out here in LA. So I have to look forward to drop before we move on to the next topic. There's a little video showing it looked like a lot of people are saying that that that that Savannah had to tell Brondon, you got to sit this one out, bro, you got to sit this one out. Stay here you're not going on that stage. And obviously you know how how close him and Drake are and and uh, but I don't know it could be complete fact I thought he was. He didn't make his way on stage. He was back in the bullpen. He was in the bullpen. He didn't he didn't get to go up on stage. So a lot of people are saying that my wife he held him back on that one. Yeah, yeah, you know, Bron wanted to get up. Yeah, you know, Bron wanted to get up on that on that ship, it just felt like an electric moment. And again, that was the night of the game, the King of La. So my homies was sent him. Yeah, some of my homies. That ship was live, so unfortunately he had to sit. Uh that went out. But again, great night for hip hop, great night for LA and the West Coast. Shout out Kendrick and uh everyone else who was involved. Let's move back to the Pacific Division, since we're talking about West Coast Alliance and unity. The Lakers Jack just then a new head coach. From what I'm hearing is they have money to go out and possibly get a third star. He was a good third star to slide in and play alongside a D and Bron. In your opinion, I would go.
Speaker 2: Somebody that can guard and score, So Jimmy Butler, Paul George type of guy, take a press, take a little pressure off Bron where he can. He really wants to be a point guard, so leron Lebron, facilitate and take a little pressure off scoring from him, let a load off of him. And then also on defense as well. You know he's not gonna really get out there and guard the best guy, so you know a guy like Paul and Jim will do it every night.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. I mean, is it a a scoring and defending wing or is it a true point guard? They can get everyone else going and taking the load off of Bron and being able to set up a D because we know d lo Is is more of a scoring point. You know, Austin Reeves play point for them. Obviously Bron plays point. I wonder is it a wing or is it more of a point guard that can get everyone else involved in also score the ball and play some defense. So it's gonna be interesting to see, you know, what they're able to do with that.
Speaker 2: And when Boston winning, Matt and when people Boston. Boston showed a lot. They showed a lot to the league in the finals. You can't have no you can't have one week link out there. I guess a team like that, everybody got to be able to shoot, everybody got to be able to guard, and everybody got to be able to talk and communicate. On d Boston didn't make no mistakes on defense. That is, made mistake after the mistake after mistake. And that's why Boston has such a great record in the playoffs because they hardly made mistakes on defense.
Speaker 1: They communicated. Man, when you look at that, you look at that starting lineup of you know, Drew Holliday and Derek White could possibly both be All Defensive Team and and Tager Brown are two of the best young two way players in the game, you know with KP shots. Yeah, I mean poor Zingis. I'm happy for him. Man, Obviously this wasn't a topic, but you know, happy for Jason Tatum, Happy for Jayden Brown, you know, for him to be in the Shadows all year, get that big deal. Tatum take a small step back, Tatum, take a Brown, take a step forward. Him go out there, help his team get a championship. Get finals MVP dating a little pretty girl from the Chicago sky like Jayden Brown's life. His motherfucking good right now? Yeah to the homie, the friend of the program man, I'm happy for him and Tatum. Uh, you know so much, talker. They need to break them up. They can't do this, they can't do that. They finally got over the hump and their windows still open. So it's getting interest to see what they come back, how much better they get, and what they do to the league next year. Malik Monk homie, super homie. I think he got it, nearly eighty million to expect it to go back with the Kings. Happy for him, he was up in the sixth year year running before he got hurt at the end of the city and so really happy for him. Clippers are out of the Staples Center and moving into their own building. Will it be without Paul George? You think he's staying, You think he's going Jack? What do you think the vibe over there is?
Speaker 2: I think he'd stay in La is gonna be in the Lake uniform. But I really think it's a possibility he might go back to the whole k see with the young boys.
Speaker 1: Can they give him the money, though, I think right now it's about the Clippers not giving him what he's looking for, and there's gonna be uh, you know, there's gonna be other situations they're gonna give him more. So I don't know. To me, it's less. I think I don't know trade. No, No, I'm just saying, is it the money or is it the fit for him? At this point? Yeah, I don't know what he's looking for right now. Similar with Clay Thompson. You know, Clay is you know, once more I think than what has been offered with Golden State, and I you know, he thought the mark would be a little bit hotter for him, but I'm hearing it's not as hot as he possibly I thought it would be. Actually crazy enough, I flew to flew up and back with CPTE to Arizona's we can to watch our kids play, and you know, he's still he said he's still got more juice and was telling me some pretty interesting Golden State stories. But I'm hearing a lot right now that he can come back to LA with either the Lakers or the Clippers. So, you know, Chris is a little bit older, but there's a lot of moving part. That's a hell of a pick up for them. That's if you can get both of them. Yeah, ice water, But you also got to think and I love both them, Clay and Chris, but they're older. You know, Chris is going to be thirty eight this year, if I'm not mistaken, I think clays In is early to mid thirties. So interesting summer, man, a lot of big moving parts, some young free agents out there. It'll be interesting to see where every everybody shakes out in Lambs. So Phoenix hired Bootenholzer, who helped Milwaukee get a championship. Be honest, but he was really on the hot seat up until that point. Our brother Fizdale was a holdover. So he's on the staff. So to be in timnis see what he's able to do with that team. But similar to the Lakers, you know, not not teams that aren't built very well, but but you know, and obviously Phoenix has a ton of money on the books with their three big stars, so tough situations to jump out and head coach you got something, Yeah, I'm just thinking.
Speaker 2: Like but but it's a great offensive mind, you know what I'm saying. Like when I was in San Antonio. He was over the offense and Mike Brown was over the defense. Phoenix needs defense. They don't have no problem scoring points.
Speaker 1: Phoenix needs a point guard.
Speaker 2: Any defense too, though they have no problem scoring points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Phoenix definitely needs somebody that can make plays for all them big failers though, because they got a lot of guys to put the ball in the basket, but no one to really get them in their spots. Speaking of former you know Philly, excuse me, Phoenix had coaches. Monny Williams is out after one year, signing the big for a head coach, and to me, it's like, I think this is just a poor look under Detroit Pistons. I mean, you know, Moni is a two time NBA Coach of the Year. They threw all this money out of them and expected them to what change the color of water and year. I'm confused on what they were looking for, But for Moni, you know, Moni got sixty to seventy million between Phoenix and in Detroit. That is coming his way. If you're money jack right now, do you pop into another situation? I think I know your answer. You just kick back and let this money pile up a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean to the point where okay, yeah, I'm straight. The money couldn't come in for this couple of years. That's all good if I would take a break, because my next situation has to be a situation where I can actually succeed. You know what I'm saying. Don't send me to a team like the Bad News Bad You know what I'm saying. Don't don't do that. You know what I'm saying. Send me to a team like you did JJ, send me to my first job, send me to Braun and AD. You know what I'm saying, give me a fast shot. Until then, I'm gonna sit in and just collect y'all money. So that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting two time Coach of the Year, a lot of money owed to them. There's always seats coming up every season, so yeah, I think you know, if I'm him, I'm sitting this one out unless something amazing comes out. And to back you know, after his sons in high school too, so we'll get to spend a little bit more time with the family, you know, getting to be a father. So it'd be interesting to see what goes on. Stephen A. Smith turns down a deal for ninety five million over five years. Who would have ever fucking thought we're talking about people in the media getting sports deals. Obviously that wasn't enough. Allegedly he wants twenty five. The offer was eighteen, which doubles his salary. Was funny, though, Jack, because I had text him random me, I'm just congrats, bro, happy for you, and He's like, hold on, not yet. I said, congrats, happy for you. Get that money, knowing that he turned the deal down, So I'm thinking more has to be coming because he's a commodity. I think ESPN is going to have to break the bank for him, but he said no, this that, this ain't it. So I think he's really going for some some monumental type shit. And although you know, you guys don't always see eye to eye, I always want, you know, our people to to go ahead and break the bank. So beingualing if ESPN can can keep him, because if they don't, they've been losing a lot of talent of late, and they've cut a lot of talent out and you know this, the shift in sports media is definitely changing. So what are your thoughts when you hear, you know, media talent getting over one hundred million dollars in salary.
Speaker 2: You are with you negotiate even though we disagree. We ain't one thing, man, You ain't navigated hate this. Don't somebody getting their money, and we never will. You know what I'm saying, Think about it. I see it. I see it another way.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: They throwing all that money to Tom Brady and all of them. Let us get some of that money. Let us get some of that money.
Speaker 1: Brady got three seventy five and yeah, no media, right, but I'm just saying he got that.
Speaker 2: They threw Romo some money when he came out of all them football players. Like like, bro, we look at all the telecast and all these big games, white people, right, and they getting the big checks night Max, because I watch them. They all good and I enjoy all of them, especially on the football side. But let us get Let's let us get something in the big check. So you know, we we disagree. But stephen A from your boy, go get that bag. Go get it, motherfucker. Yes, sir, yes, sir, go get that bag. Happy for him, man, Good luck with that man.
Speaker 1: Sean Kemp episode Jack people, motherfucking big one. They love it. They love it. And remember the day though too. That was the hell of a day for us. But because you know, he got into a mix up with his agent and missed two flights and I'm just like nah, and I told the hert went down to the whole crew. I'm like, listen, we're gonna get this Sean Camp. We did three interviews that day too. Remember we had like a well like a five hour break, and yeah we didn't we didn't start shooting him till like nine or ten o'clock. Yeah, but uh, it was well worth it. Great dude. Obviously we both were fans of him, but I've never chopped it up like that with him before. And you know, we fellowshipped after and he told more crazier stories than than what he told on the show, and it was just it was a beautiful thing to have someone of his caliber who I think sometimes people forget about pop out, you know, pop out and show him, you know what I mean, how great he was, and you know, we all hope he gets into the Hall of Fame, but he has some stories and.
Speaker 2: He's real successful after basketball too.
Speaker 1: At the Cannabis Ship and Seattle Legend, he told us to come. He an open invite. He wants us to come shoot a live show in Seattle with him at GP, which I think will be fucking bananas. So oh hey, catered by Catfish Corner Family Catfish Corner. So yeah, we did it out and show some love to the Pacific Northwest. Jack. We had a lot of success, and I think, I really think our show sweet Spot is talking to these NBA legends and yeah, NBA stars of the past. Who are any after seeing the success of this shown KIMP episode, any people that come to mind for you that that are that maybe forgot about legends, great players that we need to go after.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's just it's just one where it's too for sure that I feel that we both were fans that we both on the show, l J Larry Johnson, Grandmama and uh and my second one was who was my second one? Just had and I forgot free Mama. No, it wasn't Spree Well Spell definitely one of them. Yeah, it'll come back to them, but Grandmama for sure.
Speaker 1: Jay Spree Well, Larry Johnson, Steve Smith, that's what was Steve Smith? Yeah, O G Steve Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Reggie Miller, Oh, yeah, we've been we know, we've both been trying to get hold of.
Speaker 1: D y'all tell us in the comments, what.
Speaker 2: Larry bird Man, somebody take this in, Hey, listen, hold on, hold on, so look, let me let me go, Let me go and send Larry shout out so we can go and cut it and I can post it. So lad Bird, I remember vividly, bro when after after I won the championship to Spur, I didn't get my big deal with the Spurs, so I had to go to Atlanta for one year. And after I was in Atlanta when y'all balled out, I remember sitting on the block n p A on my homeboy brought the house outside, getting the phone call from lad Bird. I answered the phone, was like Stephen Jackson like, just lad Bird, I'm tripping out, me and everybody, my homeboys, everybody like what the fuck I'm you know?
Speaker 1: I stood up. He was like, welcome to the Indiana Paces.
Speaker 2: So I remember vividly when you called and gave me my six year deal now and I never got a chance to tell you thank you, but we would love to have you on our show. Uh, please listen to this invite and think about coming. Bless us. You know what I'm saying, lad Bird, please go on show, especially the way.
Speaker 1: Like I said, We've just heard so many people tell us, not only the player, but I want to hear the ship talking move for that Larry was. I want to hear his stories on that side of it. John Kemp was telling us about that, right you. I mean a lot of people Magic's told us, Everyone has told us, Isaiah's told us, everyone has told us how he moved man. And again, I love going after people who don't talk that much, you know what I mean, Because anything they say, it's just like, oh damn, you know what I mean. So Larry, we need your baby, Yes, Sir, lock In Jack, I sent you some random shit last night, not even knowing that we were going to talk boxing today. But what I sent you about Tank and how Tank was breaking down Shakur's game and there was video evidence behind everything he said. And I told you he's starting to think the fight. He's starting to think the game, not play the game. Uh. And I've told you this. I felt like I feel like every single fight, tanks tools are sharpening and getting better, and we obviously know what that left hand is. Like you was in the locker room with them at his fight a little while ago. Talk to us about where he's at, who you think he should fight next, and you know how he continues to improve.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, Uh, you exactly right. Exactly why to text you back last night? You're exactly right. I think even his last five fights, for the last four fights, he's just been a different tank. You know, you could tell he's been boxing since he as a kid. Uh, he studied, he's studying his opponents. I think he's he's able to set up guys so much to walk into punches. But people don't know taking is a great. He's a he's great at boxing. You know, he's just he's just not one punch. He could punch in both hands. He got a chin, you know, how to slip punches.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: He's a great boxing and he's showing it. He's showing that he's mastering his craft. I think his next fight might be low Machinko, but everybody wants to see him fight Shakur, and I think I think that's the fight that that that that all all the fans want to see because that's the best fight in boxing. People talk about Shakur and Uh, it's has not been entertaining in the past, which is true. But and because I said that too, But I would never disrespect him and say he's not one of the best in the world right now. His skill set is his skill set is at at the top. He skill said, it's elite, you know what I'm saying. So and uh, he's hearing all the talk. He's that good. Well, he's hearing all the talk. And you know, I think this next fight coming up, he's gonna try to really knock this guy and hurt him because a lot of people saying that bere running and all that, and so I think he's gonna have this fight.
Speaker 1: Tank on the fight Litt Machenko.
Speaker 2: And I think that they'll meet up somewhere after that, but uh maybe yeah, at the end of the year. But they but that's the fight everybody want to see. I know me because I'm fans of both of them, So that's definitely.
Speaker 1: What I want to see. Absolutely, Uh, Garcia band. For one year, you were vocal about this. I didn't get a chance to hear what you said. I read your caption because I couldn't listen to it at the time, but I forgot to go back and listen to it, But thoughts on the band uh and where Haney goes from here? Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, well with Garcia, you know we uh we even had words on in my DM two days ago because he was mad what I said about him.
Speaker 1: He said, and he said, it's gonna come out that he didn't cheat. That's what he said.
Speaker 2: But I said, as if now you cheat it, you know what I'm saying. And and and that's what the test said.
Speaker 1: That's what I question because what I and I've done, I didn't dig dig surface level. I heard it was a supplement he was taking that was or that had a small amount of whatever is illegal to not have. So you know, my question with that is obviously obviously it's it's illegal, so that's on him and his team to know that. But I don't think it playing it. And I could be wrong because I've never fucked with enhancement ship to you know, for for foreign athletic benefit. I don't think that should had that much to do with it. Jack, I think, well to do with that motherfucking left hand man.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say this, getting hit with a left hand from somebody that's not on steroids and getting hit with a left hand with somebody that's on steroids.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't steroids. They said it wasn't steroids, right, they said it was a small supplement. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: It's well, anything that's that enhances your performance is cheap, right, especially if it's band. If it's a bad substance, it's cheating. Now, now, this nothing. He already came into the fight not even trying to make weight, so he wanted to be That's one sign he wanted to be bigger and strong in the fight. All week he was doing things and acting like he was crazy, smoking and drinking, and that's a lot. That's showing signs of people who on steroids. They're really emotionally, they're up and down, they do it. So I look just like I told him when we had him on the show, I said, Bro, I'm a fan of you. I want to see you fight again. But I'm just going I'm going by what everybody else saying. But about what the tests saying, with the people who over the box commission, what they saying.
Speaker 1: They suspended you for a reason.
Speaker 2: So whatever you had in your system, you shouldn't have had your system, point blank.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I definitely want to see him in Handy fight again, you know what I'm saying. When he makes weight and because it's weight classes for a reason in boxing, Bro, they do that for a reason, and you can't just break the rules and do it your way, you know what I'm saying. So I definitely want to see him fight again, Haney. He has to redeem himself. Yeah, we talk about the steroids. But like you said, he took a beat down. He took a bad beat down, you know what I'm saying. But he's going to take some time away, like he said, you know what I'm saying, just to get his mind right and kind of shake that ass whipping off because it was a bad beat down for him to take, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't It wasn't on it.
Speaker 2: It wasn't on an even playing field, and if it was, we wouldn't even be talking about this.
Speaker 1: Matt. Yeah, like I said, I didn't do a deep dive, so I don't want to speak to what it was or wasn't from everything like the surface level I did reading like I said, it was something in a supplement I heard. But like he said, if his band is banned, you wouldn't be get suspended. I like Hani, but I also feel like and a lot of people felt like Loma beat Haney too, So he did I said that to him. Come on, man, So my question is where does Hainey go if he takes some time off sharpens up. Does he find something that's going to get his confidence back? Like you're you're someone that's really inboxing. I just smoke weed and watch it. Like, where does Hany go from here?
Speaker 2: He comes back, He come back and take a tune up and then try to fight Ryan again.
Speaker 1: When Ryan come back, that's that's that's all he can do.
Speaker 2: Okay, he still got his belts, he still got his none defeat of record, but that don't matter no more because he because of the ass whooping he took.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I love I love all these young boxes, but I called the spade a spade. You took a bad ass whooping day, Devin, Man, you got to take a tune up fight, try to get your mojo back. Then you gotta get you gotta get your you gotta go up. Put the l back on h on Ryan, or you can't fight nobody else.
Speaker 1: I ain't mad at that. The fight that we've all been looking forward to and and hoping that it comes true. Bud Crawford and Canelo Jack. Will that fight happened at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Uh, I think it is, man, I think that fight could happen because, you know, I think Canelo is tired of all the noise, and I think this is the this is the fight that everybody wants to see, and it's gonna be for a lot of money.
Speaker 2: And I think but Bud has a fight coming up, and I think that's the setup to to the Canelo fight. So yeah, Matt, I think we're gonna see it. I think we're gonna.
Speaker 1: See if they bless us with that one, that'd be incredible. Uh. There's rumors that a Saudi group wants to open a five on five USA versus Mexico boxing event here in La Jack. It's crazy how boxing. I feel like boxing is as hot as this been in the last ten, fifteen, maybe even twenty years right now. And and and we're hearings there's some Saudi money coming in here, and and the group that had some stuff to do with Live is a part of it. So it'll be really interesting to see, you know, where boxing goes right now. You know, obviously with Showtime, cutting boxing and show shot boxing was as hot as it's been in a long time. It's kind of an open marker right now, and it's and and the sport is in a good spot. Yeah. I mean we you know, we were blessed to you know, take over you know, the the DP from Showtime and and and start all the Smoke Fight something you're front and center of. And we got some other talent we're looking for to announce and soon. Man, So that's been a tremendous blessing. What was that? And that's what I wanted to ask you? What was that you had to miss a big three game? But you told me the energy for sure, for for for all the Smoke Fight was crazy at the take.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, the press release came out the day before the fight weekend and I was down there doing the way in and all that stuff and a little press for all the smoke fighting, in all the smoke boxing, and people saw that we took all took over all Showtime stuff. So everybody was interested to see what was next, Matt, what y'all doing next?
Speaker 1: First off?
Speaker 2: Congratulations, I mean we had so many people, even even though Marisa from from w b W I think its wbc uh. He he came up too us and he was like, man, bro, I'm just I'm just so happy. I'm just so proud of y'all to see what y'all doing for boxing. We appreciated he starts. He even congratulated me about the NEOs the Mascal. He heard about that and he was like, Man, whatever y'all want to do in the boxing space, please let us know.
Speaker 1: We happy y'all here da da da.
Speaker 2: So people wanted to know what where was Showtime Boxing going? Now they see that inherited in Matt. So people people, you know, they they people trying to put their bids and how can I get down and how can I.
Speaker 1: Be a part of it because they see where it was going. Man, we got some dope shit coming up to not to cut you off, Jack, some big talents were about to sign and announce and some crossovers were about to do and posting in the near future, we're gonna be doing. Man, it's really excited about all the smoke fight in particular boxing as well with m m a H. Right, Jack, the summer is here, Man. Favorite childhood memory playing in the neighborhood in the summertime. Mauricio Suleiman.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to get his name right, Mauricio Suliman, shout out to him.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, say to get a favorite childhood memory growing up at pa favorite childhood what was your favorite thing you guys did in the summertime around the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing doing around the neighborhood was probably definitely playing basketball, But thought we played thorb tackle.
Speaker 1: I think that was my favorite game to play.
Speaker 2: You we played thorb tackle when it was when the grab when it didn't right, because when Rymon Skis was bad. So we had to play in the street and you only could hit somebody when it was a boy the curve.
Speaker 1: But throw at tackle was our game. I got a couple of things. We played all the sports tackle football on the street. You said, only by the curve. We was tackling wherever the fuck we got it at. We was playing woof football. We used to go down to this broken backboard and play basketball around the corner, swim at the apartment pool, and then about hide and go get the job high, go get that was a little bit later. Those are the team this apartment complex. We used to swim at that. There was some key's actually lost their home fourteen but that and then it was funny. So we used to have this. We lived in this neighborhood, really mixed neighborhood, Blacks, Mexicans, white Hales, Angels, everything was in there. But it was just one of like lower high maybe higher lower classes. I don't even know if the fucking terminology was. It wasn't horrible, but it was. It was just a regular old neighborhood. And my dad used to keep like golf golf link grass, like perfect grass in this fuck that neighborhood. So we used to have to ride the slipping slide on the driveway. Bro. We had a cement driveway that went like this, so we used to put that motherfucker in and he wouldn't let us play on the on the grass. So we put the slipping slide on the driveway with dish soap and fucking quilts at the bottom, so we didn't go all the way out in the street, bro that ship we would be bloodied up a motherfucker. We'd go on the slipping slide all day down a cement hill into the stars on.
Speaker 2: My lege from that y'all suicide man, y'all tripping man, That motherfucking put towels in the middle of the slipping side for jumps and had to soap on it too.
Speaker 1: Bro, we was flying in the middle of the street, bloodied up, but just laughing and ran back up and got back on that motherfucker. Shit was crazy at the end. So I thin thick enough to stop us. Uh, what's what's something's gonna be on your grill this summer? What you grill enough this summer? Oh?
Speaker 2: Good question, man, I think, Uh, I don't think I've been doing a lot of crab balls this but I think it's gonna be It ain't gonna be Grill's gonna be balls. I'm gonna be doing a lot of crab and crawfish crab, Okay, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Want to take my grilling my like. I feel like I'm a very solid griller, but I have a basic you know, I'm hot dogs, hamburgers, try tip, I could do some chicken. I want to take my grilling to the next level this summer. Summing. Yeah, you gotta go to States. Yeah, I'm hop on this class and hopefully take my grilling to the next level. We already know we're gonna be drinking all summer, telling me drinking all summer.
Speaker 2: Man Anios mess Cano, you did you already know all summer.
Speaker 1: All summer, Fitch, you don't want to see it the summer function in twenty four Oh in the comments, what is some outfits y'all don't want to see this summer at pool parties, day parties, cookouts. Let us know what people shouldn't be wearing this summer. We appreciate you guys' time. This week. You can catch this episode on the DraftKings Network and all the Smoke Productions YouTube. We'll see you guys next week. Ash