Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And we are back with author, researcher, explorer Andrew Collins. And the book is the first female Pharaoh, so beck the pharaoho god Ess of the Seven Stars. Why is it that we we don't know about her? Why was her history suppressed? Andrew?
Speaker 3: Well, up until the nineteenth century, the only reference to her was in one chronicle of the Kings that came out about two hundred and fifty BC, where she's known under the name Schemiophorus, which is said to be the sister of the king that ruled previous to her, which is Arminemes, which is Arminemet the fourth. She's her brother. So that's the only reference we have to her. And during the nineteenth century and the early explorations of the Egyptologists, they started to find her name on buildings things like this and wondered who she was. I mean, you know, quite literally, she was new in the sense that people already didn't know a thing about her. And what gradually came out is the fact that her reign had obviously been suppressed and that the monuments associated with her had been completely destroyed. Now she is mentioned in a couple of so called king lists, but others miss her completely. I mean, there's one set at Abydos in the southern part of Egypt where it has all the kings, you know, in this wall panel of all the different cartosans all the kings, and it's got all the kings up to and including her brother's reign, and then none are all until the beginning of the New Kingdom, which is switch starts with the eighteenth dynasty, which is where all the famous kings that we know generally come from. So I can understand why they would not put the kings from this dark ai of Egyptian history, because maybe they just wanted to forget about it. However, why leave her out and why is she the first king to be left out? And it's quite clear that they blamed her for this the onset of this dark age wrongly, so absolutely wrongly so, because it's clear that she actually kept Egypt alive and allowed it to prosper again in the New Kingdom when that actually rose. And I think that the reason why all this happened is that that her death came suddenly. I think that there is evidence that she may have committed suicide, although she wouldn't have seen it in terms of suicide as we would do today. It was more like a ritual death. And I think that this probably was done, you know, using hallucinogen's psychoactive substances, you know, quite literally allow her to walk into the afterlife. However, all the indications are that her burial was in sacret. She was probably put in a tomb that was prepared for somebody else, probably an official, you know, and that that tomb layes hidden to this day. And you know, that's one of the big mysteries. Where is Sobek Nosro? You know, discovering her too would be extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Why why did she take her own life?
Speaker 3: Well because I think they were coming for her. I think that that because she had changed the policies of her brother, who had you know, who was actually trying to create a brand new kingdom outside of Egypt in what is today the Sinai, centered around this huge religious center called Seabout el Cadame. And he was turning away not just from from from Sobek, he was actually venerating the sun god Rah and in particular his creative form, which was known as Artam. He was moving away, complete from everything that her father and the kings before him had achieved. And as I said, they had this open borders policy, and it would seem as if he was probably quite young and very influenced by the people around him. And I think that there were some factions that very clearly saw this as Egypt being taken in the wrong direction, so they appealed to her, so she changed everything back when she actually came to the throne. But the problem is that all of this would seriously have upset some of these factions, and they would have been looking for any excuse to get rid of her. And it would seem as if in the third year of her reign, the Nile floods were particularly low, and this can be a disaster because what it means is that the waters don't bring the rich nutrients to the Nile valley, so that trying to grow the next season, you know, grain whatever would have failed sort of been just the sort of excuse that they would have, you know, used to try and say, look what this woman's doing. You know, this would not happen when her brother or her father were ruling the country. You know, we have to get rid of her. And even though you know that they couldn't have just pulled her down. I think that they were then beginning to sort of find enough reasons to you know, get rid of her, quite literally take her out. And what's also known is that some kings would actually commit suicide if there were low nile floods, in other words, if famine came, because it would obviously be believed that they were not strong enough to actually rule the land, because quite clearly the king and the land were seen to be one, you know, in other words, the gods were with the king, the king was within the land, and all of them were interlinked. So that if there was any reason to doubt that this was the case, then quite clearly those rivals that would want to pull you down, as it were, would you know, come up and say, look, you know you've got to you know, you've got to stop this, or you've got to add quay or kill yourself or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Uh, And so would the would her enemies have also concluded then that the god that she favored sobec the crocodile god, was also ineffectual and therefore should be.
Speaker 1: Replaced with raw.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it, because I mean, sobek obviously being a creature of the water was associated with the Nile floods and you know, was connected with regeneration, rebirth, whatever. So yes, absolutely they would have seen the fact that she was making the crocodile God, you know, into this monastery literally and monosyistic religion doesn't bate religion as well. Would have been something that was pulling the you know, the country in the wrong direction. And quite clearly this would have come from outside of that priesthood. And I think that the people that were coming for her was the priesthood of rather the priesthood of Heliopolis, who were quite clearly in the pocket of her brother, and I think would have been really, really unhappy when he was taken out.
Speaker 2: So I mean, you cast aside the king or the pharaoh and their god, you have the whole regime change. Then something else goes bad and a drought of famine, what have you. They toss out that pharaoh and that guy. It's a wonder that Egypt had any sort of stability.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously, you know, acts of God, you know, like famines, floods and whatever, is something which is going to determine how successful, how prosperous a particular dynasty is. And this is why there are are so many different dynasties in Egypt, because you know, they all revolve around families that eventually fail for one reason or another, and you know, natural disasters are easily a part of that picture. But at the end of subet Nofru's reign, that particular dynasty, which is the Twelfth Dynasty, ends, But luckily she'd managed to, you know, kickstart this thirteenth dynasty, which seems to have been founded by the two kings, which were the sons of her brother, it would seem, and they were the thirteenth But it's important to point out that that wasn't the only dynasty that rose up at that time. The fourteenth dynasty ran concurrently with it. They ran from the northern part of the country in the Nile Delta, and that is considered to be a Canaanite dynasty. In other words, it was a strong Semitic Canaanite dynasty of kings, and it was they who made and paved a way for the incoming Hikesos kings who came in probably from somewhere like northern Palestine or possibly as far north Assyria, and they were the powerful ones. They were the ones that changed everything when they came in.
Speaker 2: You mentioned upon her death that the sight of her burial is unknown, But unless I'm mistaken, it sounded like you were saying that she was supposed to be buried in a particular pyramid, but that pyramid was destroyed. I always thought that the idea of the pyramid as a burial chamber for the pharaohs was simply myth, that there they were never intended to be burial chambers, that they were buried in the Valley of the Kings or someplace else. Are you saying that in some cases pharaohs were entombed in pyramids?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, yeah, yeah, definitely. I mean, obviously, the whole pyramid building eight was earlier than the age. I mean certainly when it was at its height during the reigns of pharaohs like Cufu Kafri Menkara, who were behind the three great pyramids on the Giza plateau, and shortly after this time you get what's known as the pyramid texts inside the walls of the pyramids, that are the prayers, the spells, the sayings that a pharaoh must use to enter into the afterlife. There was a very specific journey that had to be undergone, and this would appear to start with going to the western horizon and setting just like the sun, in other words, entering into some kind of underworld, and then going through that underworld, which was beneath the earth itself and known as the Duat, and then rising up just like the sun on the eastern horizon, but then going to the constellation of Orion, and this would be the being on point to the Milky Way. And then the spirit, the soul of the pharaoh was then expected to go to the north to the so called circumpoler stars, the stars that never sat that revolve around the center point of the sky, the so called celestial pole, and there they will enter the afterlife and also become as a star themselves. That was the journey. But it would seem as if during the time of Sobic Nofru, they were still building pyramids and they were being intended for use. But the style and design of her pyramid was completely unique. I spent a whole chapter talking about this. The direction of orientation everything was changed, and also it was aligned very specifically to one star, and that star was Eltinan, which is the brightest star in the constellation of Draco, and this seems to have been a style that was particularly important to her. It represented the eye of the crocodile god Sabak. So this is where this whole idea of her being the goddess of the seven Stars comes into it, because even though most people we never heard of Sobek Nopher, the fact is we all know her in one way, and that's because she is the Egyptian royal female that rises from the dead in every horror film that has you know, a woman, every mummy that rises from the dead, it's her. And the reason for this is that all of these films are based on one book, and that's The Jewel of Seven Stars by Brawn Stoker, the writer, the Irish writer of Dracula. Now he bought this book out in nineteen oh three due the Seven Stars, and it seems very much as if the main antagonist of the book, you know, there's this Egyptian female pharaoh, is definitely based on sobect Nopher. And the reason why he chose her is because some of the Egyptologists of that century were writing about Sobek and Offer and saying you know, who is this woman? What she seems to have been incredibly important. She seems to have created this whole cult, this religious cult, or revived this this cult of the stars, the seven Stars. You know, what more do we know about her? And that seems to have impressed brown Stoker enough to use her in his book.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, is she deserving of that sort of literary treatment or or was she more benevolent?
Speaker 3: Or was she I mean, I mean everything that I found out better, I think she was a good woman. I think that she was doing what she needed to do to save Egypt, to continue what's known as mart which means cosmic order, you know, divine truth, and that's the ultimate aim of every pharaoh, you know, to create that cosmic balance, you know, so that the country will continue creation, continue to prosper. And you know, she was that she was creating the cosmic order in Egypt, but at a price. And I think that the price was that when eventually she knew that, you know, people were coming for her, I think that she decided that for the it was best for the country that she took herself out that so she committed suicide. She committed this ritual death in exactly the same manner as Cleopatra. Remember, Cleopatra also committed suicide at the end of her life, and almost certainly in exactly the same way, literally walking into the afterlife by taking a cocktail of drugs. The whole idea of Cleopatra, for instance, being bitten by a snake and her dying through snake venom is just a miss.
Speaker 1: Basically, listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more