Speaker 1: NHL Unscripted is a production of the NHL and iHeart podcasts. NHL and is stripped coming to you on Canada Day.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: That means Toal is gonna give us his draft all name team. Not sure if these guys can play, but the draft names are great, which reminds you of the draft. I covered rounds two through seven for Inchell Network with the great Lawrence Goldstein. As they walked into the studio today, Algie said to me Ivan Ivan, who is of course our favorite. Now the Boston Bruins gotta get an ive An Ivan jersey one of these days. The meantime handing out flyers to Alex Steam were of course recapping the draft and all the accident went down, and just a flurry of activity as it always is on Canada Day. Free agency. Lots of moves being made, nothing bigger than what about Bob Baby steps the bus, Baby steps over here, Sergey Lebowski going three years, the tournament beliefs as John Chika shaking things up, There's no doubt about it. Before we see anything further, though, tell I want to know our summer schedule. We were two days for the Cup final. When can I tell the us we're gonna be back. It's canadidate. When are we going to be back on unscripted.
Speaker 3: We'll know, we'll know, hopefully by the weekend. I think what'd likely do is every other week for the next of them, for the rest of the summer.
Speaker 1: It's going to be slow for the summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, keeping it by, that's right.
Speaker 4: Just let me know when I got to calalk in. Just call me. I'll be on the golf course.
Speaker 2: Just just throw it in the chest.
Speaker 3: We'll poke you with a stick when we're ready for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just pull me with a stick to wake me up. I like that Huckleberry Finn.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: So I mentioned Lebrowski three years, twenty one millions to the Leaves, Mason Marchman following in his late five years a deal, JD gets all the fields. Jacob Truba four years to San Jose, speaking of those Sharks, Jenner for yours, Andrews, Lady hutup, give me another Sharks ones thankfully to face only. Jaden Schwartz three years of Colorado and Matchicrella one year to la Let's start with the leaves, jad Yeah, you're soft on zook. A million bucks went up the leafs. I mean, listen, Schaika came in there. At the very least. He's gonna be aggressive. He's gonna make moves. He's not gonna be passive. So if you looked up as a Maine Leaves, I don't know how he would be throwing away to say, we got Gavin McKenna, who relishes the role of perhaps being the next Patrick Kane. Maybe he's forty goals, who knows, at some point in his career is expected to be an impact player. Austin Masthews seems thrilled. Hey, best defensemen available, Let's go get Darren Radish, seven year deal. Okay, as long as he's good for three to five. Who cares with the seven? This guy's sixty points, great shot, great pass, and then goaltenderise okay. Joseph Wall was hurt too much, Fine Arison brutal, get rid of him. He goes out with senators. Here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna get Bbroe Stellars are still there. But Stillars gets hurt a lot, maybe he gets flipped. He gets he's making three point five million, but you still got I can always pronounce this guy's name. Akim Off, the Russian goaltender, who can now tutor with Bebrovski, or you can have hilde be there as well, so you can keep hildeby who's cheap and trade starts bad for defense.
Speaker 4: They traded Hill to be Hill to be got traded. They traded Hill to be this ship's bananas. This is so that they traded him for the next ball.
Speaker 1: So still Art's is still there. But my point is this, but proxy, if I said to you JD three years, twenty one million dollars, how do you not jump at that? Again? I know he's tryed thirty eight this summer. I know this past season was a down year. It was it down here for many of the Panthers. I think it's I wouldn't say it's a steal, like he's got a semi millionaire and he's guys three thirty eight. But if you're me a police fan, you go, hey, we need a goaltender. You got Sergey Mabrovsky. Fantastic day for John Chika.
Speaker 4: Dude, John Chika, Like, I'm gonna try to go through this as we're walking. And they got Jack Roslovic, after they got Gavin McKenna. They went and got Nick Paul for hildeb They signed Brandon new Ham, They signed Teddy Blueger, Teddy Blueger, they signed Colton Sissons. That is a lot of very good signings and they already have you know, they got the McKenna, so they got their high end talent bringing in Bob Now with Stolars and Wool two goalies that get hurt. Now there's like this three headed monster that maybe you can now move on from Wool or Stolars. There's a potential there to maybe get something back. But anybody saying that he has he has not done a good job or hasn't at least made it a parent that he's trying to make this team competitive is high on crack cocaine. And I tell you what, I've loved everything he's done so far because they've addressed a lot of needs in the bottom six, which I think was important. They you know, they trade Nick robertson a way which even though he had sixteen goals, I think it was just time for him to move on. Chiker realized that I don't think any GM had realized that Nick Robinson needed to go move on. They get a fourth round pick for him, so everything they've done, I've really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 4: Listen, Brandon new Haim very underrated signing, so was Colton says. And so I'm liking what the Maple Leafs are doing right now. I'm liking it. I'm liking it towards it.
Speaker 1: I don't upset good. I know there's work to do. I know the defense still needs improvement. You bounce back seasons, but you still have youngish players Matthew Nie so they believe, and you still have your Matthews and your Kneelander, and now you're pouring that cast now with veteran players again. I don't know how you can't be happy for a Leafs fan.
Speaker 5: I mean it looked bleak after the season, and the way you described it, Jad he was perfect because it's just they added everything they needed and they've added then some. You know, when you've add a guy like Darren Radish too, like you have a number one d everything he can do. I mean you look at all the statistics, he was off the charts with that, and then you know, you look at their lines and you have basically you have every first, second, third line center. I mean Matthews plays in McKennon and Nyes and you have Nlander, Tavares and whoevery wan is slot on the second line. I mean, you have so many other players now Sissons, who's we've seen has been really really good in the playoffs for so many years in Nashville, now in Vegas. So that's a great ad for the Leafs. So I mean, this team, they went from looking like, all right, they're not going to make the playoffs next year to they're going to make the playoffs next year, you know, And that's.
Speaker 4: Oh I still like that.
Speaker 2: That's what they look like to me.
Speaker 4: Wow, Yeah, I think, I mean, and I think Bob. Bob had his worst year though. That's the one thing is like how much does he have left from the tank. But I think Bob's better when he's in. Like, uh, I think Tarasof wasn't good enough to carry the load all sexual puns aside. I just don't think he was good enough to carry the team and give Bob enough rest. But I think this team in Toronto will. And then just as we were talking, Mary Ferraro went to the Jets. I was hoping three by dude, he got he got fucking hooked. He got three by four, three years, four million year. It's a good deal, but not great. Vinnie d Hardenin had more of than them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's still god.
Speaker 4: I I like to see you should have if that's if that's the him out, Like, how was that more?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 4: Why would you m four point two five sad day franti? Anyway, this is fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: Here's this is our first app so since the draft and since the beginning of free agency. And again, if you're a least fit, you're happy. If you're a Sharks fan, I mean you're doing a moonwalk right now, saying sexual. You got Steenberg who eighteen years old, bug and player, like this guy is ready to go. He looked great in the Swedish league. He's ready. He might be playing with Celebraty Stemberg's in. You got these great young players players. You also get the number nine pick, fantastic. You also get Mason marshmen beforely mentioned and Jacob Truba. So like you're identifying the fact you need to improve your defense, you're doing so. You have a great young core. I'm just waiting for them to lock up Celebraty. Hey we got we get Mac done. Eight years, twelve min and Darnell Nurse as you and I said, nine point two five million. I know he's not worth that kind of money, but is he a serviceable defenseman? Absolutely, and he'd improve your defense. Well done.
Speaker 4: Now, before I, you know, reached my climax, no listen signed no no, but the Darnell and there signing, and I think people, you know, people are up in arms right now a little bit, being like, why are we paying Truba and Nurse? Again? You have to pay somebody. And at the end of the day, they're like, after this year, they're gonna have like fifty four million in cap space available. They have so much ore LOFs off the books, catures contracts off the books, they have a couple a few more guys. They have so much money coming off the books starting next year. So like this is fine for them to sign that. And the thing that people don't realize is that they have so much young talent that are on like entry level deals and bridge deals that they need to pay somebody. So this is like I wish I was still playing because this is like they're in the perfect position to pay these veterans because their young guys are still under. You know, they're gonna sign call On Graft to probably a three to five year deal, probably like five million a year, and then they're gonna you know, Max and I wonder to me, we talked about it a lot this year. I think if I'm Mac, I take it two three million, two three year deal. Don't over you know, don't take a seven year deal at sixteen million because the CAP's gonna go up. Take a three year deal at twelve and a half at Connor, give yourself some money. Keep the team competitive. But they have so much to like and if they can develop the right way, I mean.
Speaker 5: Ooh, doggy, look at their top four to now, like I look at their like Dickinson, Truba, Nurse or Loft and then Kesserlink too, you know, like their d look nice JD.
Speaker 4: It's good that your big good.
Speaker 5: And then you add Stenburgh. But I mean I would imagine Stenburg's playing on the top two lines next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, like you for sure he has to be right.
Speaker 2: And then you have me.
Speaker 5: You add Mason Marchman to that with Mesa and oh march Man I mean like coming home, yeah, and march Man like bad ad And I saw your tweet today and it was a great uh.
Speaker 2: I love how you said it, how he's coming home.
Speaker 5: That's I think it's amazing that he's coming back to San Jose and he's gonna be not only is it gonna be coming home, but I think it's gonna be an amazing fit there. Like he's a uh, he's a guy that they kind of need and a guy that don't really have. Like he's a he's a little bit of a unicorn, that guy, the way he plays.
Speaker 4: They got him in Sherwood, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, multiple.
Speaker 1: Under the radar, Matt sic Corella. When you're to l A Nate, I mean, for a million bucks you get Matt C. Corrello. I mean that's a nice little move for them. Schwartz has ties, you know, three years to Colorado. The Anders like that.
Speaker 3: You want to talk Schwartz, go ahead.
Speaker 1: What do you like about Schwartz?
Speaker 4: No, I just like I like Jayon Schwartz on Colorado. I like what Colorado has done this offseason. They brought back there there. You know, they lost some pieces. I mean, honestly, you know, the team I think we should probably talk about the most after San Jose is Utah. I think Utah Man Utah resigned Stenlin, they got tro Check and then they picked up anders Lee. I mean, that's a nice fricking that's a nice tidy piece of work by Bill Armstrong, who I can't stand. But listen, he's called give him, give him his flowers. Dude, I can't stand you guys.
Speaker 5: You add those two guys in their lineup and they play. You put him in that series against Vegas and they probably win. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you look at those two guys now, like that's that's yeah. I like that one too. Jady Utah is a really good one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're and I think that's why they're gonna let Barrett Hayte and walk for that second round pick. And they're gonna get a second round pick. They don't have to do anything.
Speaker 1: Barrett Hayten getting an offer sheet from New Jersey. Do they match.
Speaker 4: No, they're no, there's no way they match. They'll let They'll let Barrett walk. I think it's a good Barrett kind of struggled with some injuries the last couple of years, but they loved him there and they love what he brought. He needs to kind of I think he needs a change. The scener I think it's a good fit for him in Jersey. They need a centerman like Kim. You know, Hates can do a little bit of everything offense, defense, play some p K. He's really kind of developed into a two way center, and uh, I think it's gonna be good for him to go. And I think, like there's just no room with anders Lee and Trocheck coming. And now they got there, you know, they got what is it, Trocheck, Schmaltz, Stenland and then who's their third line center? Trying to think is anders Lee the centiment or a winger curvefoot, Yeah, curvefoot or somebody. I can't but they got a good They just don't need Hates. He just doesn't fit anymore.
Speaker 2: The other thing is is if Utah does sign him, they can't trade him for a year and he becomes a UFA after next season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I you know, ad Nan, I just I don't know what your guys thoughts are, but I tweeted about it, and I just you know, I usually test it before I bring it here, but I just offer sheets are punk rock, man, It's just punk rock. I want it more mainstream. It's grunge. It's fucking I love it. Like every team should have to offer sheet at least once at every single season a GMS to off for sheet one player punk Rock, I'd be sick.
Speaker 3: I just say the fact that it's one of a brand new GM who's never been a GM in the league before and just goes right up to the biggest kid on the playground and sucks him.
Speaker 2: In the face.
Speaker 4: I love, oh Sonny Meta swinging that der around.
Speaker 1: Speaking of just swinging it around, this is after I love Sonny, He's my guy. We have to talk with the Zacharnsky trade drama. I mean, the fact D's so much to this became public. So Rensky informs Donaldel he's not likely it's not another contract of the Blue Jackets. When his current dealer is up after the twenty seven to twenty eight seasons two more years. Well, Dall attempts to trade him this offseason, including a dealing and plays with the Stars. Lorensky uses his no movement clause to veto and then it's like, well, at this point is at the point of no return. How do you feel if you're a teammate of Zach, Like, dude, you're quitting on us. You want to like that's it, Whereas maybe he's feeling like, no, what you're putting the pressure on me sing have to sign a long term deal and being honest about it. Here's what Rensky has to say. Don I had very open and honest dialogue and the sea and ended ideally this wouldn't becomes such a public thing that this is the world we live in. Everything got blown out of proportion. In my opinion, I want to win. I want to do that. In Columbus. He all goes on to say he loves his teammates, he's twenty eight entries eleventh season. I mean, he's obviously a fabulous player, coming up one of the Norse Trophy. How does this end? Can he just go back to Columbus And it's like, e man, he texts a few teammates out of all locked in boys.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is like you know, he's got Jud muldover right, and Jud's kind of a little Hollywood and he's got some big names, and like I had heard randomly, it's like he never really wanted to leave. He just was like maybe trying to cattle prod Columbus to make some moves, But I'm like, is that the way to do it? Like so much distraction and probably, you know what, this probably distracted the GM so much in this organization trying to put out the Wrenski fires that they couldn't really like dive into free agency. Because if you're in that building and all of a sudden, you're, you know, yesterday, you're getting ready to like sign some players, and then all of a sudden, it's like Warrensky wants to leave. All these gems are calling you being like what are you gonna take? What are you gonna take? They're probably like fuck off, like we're not trading them. And then they're trying to talk to Zach, probably talking to the the agent. They're not even talking directly to Zach, they're talking to the agent who's talking to Zach broken telephone. I just think this was an absolute mess, disorganization at its finest. And this is gonna hurt Columbus more than it's gonna hurt Warnsky, because you know, there is some good deals out there for him too in a short amount of time, like that Dallas deal. Like I bet you Columbus is pissed that he vetoed that as good as Wrensky is Like that was like Harley and two firsts. I'm like that says about as good as you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: So frustration there for Zach When and Blue Jackets fans, and say this for Columbus, say lost Marchman and jenneral free agency. Meantime, Nate, what's you gonna take for someone to sign with? Jason Robertson turned out one hundred and twenty million.
Speaker 4: They've got Curtis Douglas one hundred and twenty million.
Speaker 1: This thing is are Toimy Peneren four years over fourteen million per year from the Crack And it's okay, I'll take less in La. I don't want to go to Seattle. I'll just take less money.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get what the Cracker are doing. They need to find an identity. You know, they're a youngest team. They're a boring team. There's only a lot of excitement exception for John Fors and my guy, what are the Crackers was doing?
Speaker 6: Nate?
Speaker 1: We're giving you the money. Nobody wants to take it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's and that's no state tax too, Washington. That's another state.
Speaker 5: No state tax so but you know, he turns down what fifteen million from Seattle, no state tax, So it's not a destination. It just tells you that players want to win, and they want to go to it, and they want to go to a place that they know they're gonna have a chance to win and they're gonna have all the other entities that go with it. And Seattle is not a destination right now. So I don't know for Seattle as far as getting free agents, I mean, that has to that has to happen within the organization like it like all the other ones. You're seeing San Jose do it, You're seeing Anaheim, Montreal, all these teams, they go about it the right way. So I think Seattle it's it's been tough for them because they've just had basically what four lines of fall second line guys, of the third line guys basically every every season and they're kind of in the mushy middle always. So I mean they're they're a team that's gonna have to you know, they might have to bring it down to the studs and and and start it over like other teams have, you know, so and and then I don't know, to add to the Jason Robertson thing. I mean, that's, uh, that's probably another topic we can get into more.
Speaker 1: Yea, absolutely, but listen, Pittsburgh got Nick Robertson. They go, fine, we'll go get Jason. We'll get your brother here and Tyson whatever way you can. And I mean before we talked about Dallas being up against with the cap, but don't forget Sagan comes off after next season, so that's nine plus million. The CAP's going up by ten million. Is there a way that they can keep Robertson in Dallas.
Speaker 4: I think they're gonna end up having to. And to Nate's point of Seattle, it's just a it's a fucking dump around the rink. Fix that, fix it around the ranks. Can't You gotta just worried about getting stabbed coming out of the rink after losing to to one to the La Kings, and you you can't even think about taking a shootout in overtime because all you're thinking is your car on cinder blocks, so you're gonna get.
Speaker 5: Car.
Speaker 4: We're not wrong, he's I mean, like, I'm just calling a spade a spade, Like it's not say the same thing about skid Row in l a fix that ship anyway to the to the other news. Where were we I'm like just talking on yeah Robos, Yeah, I think I think he will. I think, you know, Jim Neill will figure something out. I think there. I think they end up keeping robertson, or maybe he goes to Detroit for Larkin or they find a way to bring Larkin in. But yeah, man, there's there's so much crazy shit going on right now in these signings. I saw Nick Jensen to the Ducks. That's a good one. I guess we haven't even touched on the Florida Panthers, the rat Cats with Jacob Barstrow.
Speaker 1: How about rad Co Gudus getting six years one and a half million AAV six years.
Speaker 2: For I want to ask too early.
Speaker 4: I want to ask Nate this because I was sitting in I went to a PA meeting near the end of my end of my career in Toronto's with Brad Richardson and he had a great idea. He was like, he's like I think, and he pitched it before we went to those last CBA talks and it was probably like twenty twenty one. He's like, anybody have to He's like we have to start finding a way to keeping these veterans on the team that are over thirty five, having them be able to sign small deals and not count towards the cap, and just so that gives the ability to keep these veterans around to continue the culture, which I thought was a great idea. But what I love that Florida did is like instead of paying him a three year deal at three a year, they give him six years at one and a half, knowing, you know, Radco is probably gonna retire after two or three years, right then, they're just paying a good veteran. They're paying them homage. He's coming to the team, he'll be going LTI R. And I just think it's like a great way to take care of a veteran and also pay him because like that one point five extra, you know, is just kind of like a tip of the cap, like, hey, thanks for your service. We'll ride you till the wheels come off. But like, I think that's a great deal. And I think again, I think Florida's hit it out of the park this summer.
Speaker 1: Mar You think Marsiman was a legit upgrade for Bob.
Speaker 4: Bob was his worst year statistically, last year was Bob's Bob was on the marsh, not a proven commodity. But Marksham was incredible at the Olympics, So maybe it's he needs to be in front of a better team. And I think that Decourt is going to block some frickin' shots, that's for sure. Look at that Decourt. I mean they're gonna be. I think it's gonna be. I think they're gonna be just fine with that team. And I think they're gonna insulate Marquis pretty well. And I think somebody made a joke they're like, he plays like a ves goalie and then plays like an HL goalie. It's like kind of opposite years. And last year he was like an HL goalie. So this year he's gonna win the Vesna and they're gonna they're gonna win the Cup again.
Speaker 1: Florida Panthers can only hope. By the way, our special guest days Keaton Barhaff just drafted by the San Jose Sharks number nine overall, so we'll get him in just a second. Again, Dylan Larkin's not getting moved anytime soon. I don't think Steve Eisman's rushing to do it. I think if there's a great trade out there. He'll trade Dylan Lark and he's not gonna be pushed around by this kid. He'll make sure that the deal works out for the Red Wings. There. Playing makes sense. Let's get wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before you go to break, you can't. You can't push around with Cvy.
Speaker 4: You can't push around Stevie. Why but before we went to break, Edmonton Oilers signed Frederick Anderson for Kevinhi. Really, wow, I feel that Oilers might be cooking, folks.
Speaker 1: I swear to you to call to day. I said to Mike, what are the others gonna do? Because I think they love to get my bosk and if not, maybe Freddie Anderson? And I was like, maybe I just hadn't heard that yet.
Speaker 4: Wow, Freddy and Devin LEVI Wow, anyway, take us to break baby.
Speaker 7: Oh dude, that's great. We're gonna tak Freddie Anderson. That's great if you know who feeling's massive, ad man, take us to break. No, we just want one thought here, gd I just want any thoughts in the draft again. You can talk Sharks if you want. But McKenna, as we all expected, went first.
Speaker 1: Overall your boy stammer to the Sharks, Calebell Hot, you to Vancouver, and now this Dad Jackson Rudolph, the Buffalo, Albert Smith's the Rangers. Some guys dropped a little bit. Vigo Byork at number eight, and again we're gonna talk to Katon Verahoff, he's at number nine. What stuck out you at the draft besides Justin bieber.
Speaker 4: Well, I did it just to be I did. I did kind of a breakdown on h on Chase Reid and I I think he was the most complete D man in that first round. I like that the Sharks got air off, but he fell to Seattle. Like you know, for everybody not wanting to go to Seattle. They have one of the better decours in the league. I think, you know, they lost the Lexiak unfortunately, but you know they got what Larssen, Montour Donn, Chase Reid, Riker Evans. I mean, they got a good decoor and they're pretty solid back there in good goaltending. So to me, I think Chase Reid dropping. I thought Buffalo it's exactly what they needed. They went for a little bit more offensive minded in Jackson Rudolph. But I thought that was a miss by Buffalo because I think Chase Reid is going to be a stud Yeah.
Speaker 1: Originally I think I was looking at some of the Angel Network rankings. They thought it might be the first defensemen taken. Definitely get the top five guys. So interesting how that all unfolds. Meantime, speaking of Buffalo, sometimes they're really you know, Connor Hallibuck, remember, Nate, you were talking about that. Potentially that could still happen. Bob Byron has gone. He goes to Chicago, highest paid defenseman in the league. As you said before, he wants to be number one guy. Talked to Washington, Door, Fiev to the Rangers, Trocheck to Utah. Gendi just talked about Marsham to the Panthers. Nurse. We've mentioned Brendan Gallagher going to Vancouver, which non Brady could chuck trade to you, Nate, are we not talking enough about which of those movies you go? You know what, eh Vala Chus going in Columbus. That's good, I.
Speaker 5: Think, honestly. I mean, there's there's so many of them trying to keep up. I mean the one, the other trade I really liked was JJ Peterca to Boston from Utah.
Speaker 2: I like that trade.
Speaker 5: I thought that was a good move for Boston. I know he's German. You know Marco Sturm, German coach, He's coached him before. There's some familiarity there.
Speaker 2: So I like that play.
Speaker 5: That was the trade I really really like. And I think what Utah is doing right now. I mean, I think getting Vinnie Trochek is massive for them. I think that's a that's a huge pickup. And you know, to have what they already have at the center ice position to add those guys. Those those two really jump up, jump off the page for me.
Speaker 4: Jesus woman. My wife just listening to a concert right now.
Speaker 1: It's a big cheering section there. She really liked it.
Speaker 4: It is she's cheering Nate great. She said, that's a great, great con. We got all sorts of shit. We are absolute chaos right now, but I love it. No, I think poopy Pants Perterca going to Boston, I think it's gonna be a good move. I think him going back with his is uh you know, a little German brethren and Marco stermol Unlockham. So No, I think, you know, trade wise, I think you got to look at the trocheck trades a big one.
Speaker 1: Door A few of the Rangers talk to Washington. Which one do you like more?
Speaker 4: I mean, the tough one was nice. I like the Bob one. Honestly. I think Pebrowski to Toronto. I liked it. They were firing from the hip in Toronto. I think, you know, Toronto's taking a lot of shit. But listen, Drake is fire. And you know that's not just speaking from the fact that you know. I don't have anything really bad to say about them, but I think there's a lot of question marks of what the hell is Toronto gonna do? And they're answering those questions alongside getting Gavin McKenna. So I think it's gonna be it's gonna be interesting to see that team come, you know, October seventh, eighth, when the puck's dropped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wondered about Buffalo a little bit. I think they've been weakened a little bit, obviously, losing boat Arm, losing Tocic. They're looking to make some moves and again maybe they go out and get Connor Hallibuck, they solve potential golding situation. We shall see. I'm still blown away. Freddie Anderson, Edmonton. All right, that's the news as it happens. By the time you listen this, a lot more will have happened. But it's okay. We're doing our best to keep up and we're on a bi we bie weekly schedule, so it's all good. Keaton Verhoff. Now remember the sales a Sharks, Sharks making moves. You're Keaton on his thoughts on being a top ten pick number nine overawl to Sanes. That's coming up right after this on NHL and Scripted.
Speaker 4: Our next guest is the Pride of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, and recently completed a busy season in which he suited up for the University of North Dakota, captain the Canadian squad of the Under eighteen World Championships, and was one of the youngest players on Team Cannon at World Juniors. You wrapped up all that last weekend by being drafted ninth overall by my Shan Jose Sharks at the NHL Draft Live from Sharks development Camp. It's Keaton Verhoff. What is up, my man?
Speaker 6: How's it going? Saus Thanks for having.
Speaker 4: Me Keaton quickly? Just you know, what is the whirlwind been like since the moment you heard your name called. Take us through that and just take us through the lead up to the draft and what has been your highlights so far.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been crazy.
Speaker 8: Obviously, kind of go through the entire year and folks on the important part of the year and trying to do what you can to help a team win, and then you kind of get to the draft time and combine time and all that stuff, and a lot was going through kind of me and my family's head. But it was an exciting time. I couldn't be more lucky in honored to be drafted by the Sharks as well. Obviously unbelieve organization with the players they have coming up, it's it's special. So it's been a whirlwind, but it's been so exciting looking forward to.
Speaker 6: It for what's to come.
Speaker 5: Keaton, You're from Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. Guys like Ray Whitney, Mike Commodore, Jeoffrey Loopel are from there. You know, what is it like and what was it like growing up in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta And are you you know, are you spend your summers there? Are you working out with other guys there around around your hometown?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was so special.
Speaker 8: That's a big part of my identity a big part of the person I am today. I gotta give a lot of credit to my roots in Fort Skatchwan. Obviously a smaller town, but the hockey is so big there and the town supports it so well. I remember growing up and going to the U eighteen games and watching those guys play and thinking they were in the NHL and thinking they were the best players in the world, and so it was. That was a big thing for me, growing up and watching those guys in a small town. And as I've gotten older, the support from my hometown has been so huge and so and so much of it too.
Speaker 6: Like I've been I've had so many.
Speaker 8: Kids come up to me and Fort Scatchwan, and that's exciting every time that happens to kind of be something that those kids can come up and talk to and kind of have a have a conversation with because I remember being in their shoes and yeah, so it's being for Fort Scatchroan was huge. And as for now, yah to stay my summers back and forth Scatchman and hang out with my family there, I'll see an important time and just being with my family and working out there and skating there with my cousins as well, so it's it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: Do you have any NHL ors that you know, we're from that area that you kind of talked about young kids talking to you and you kind of giving back, you know, did you have any moments growing up where you got to watch skate with maybe some NHL guys and how are those moments?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I was pretty lucky related to the docs.
Speaker 8: So I've been skating with those guys since I was thirteen fourteen years old and been a little be out on the ice with them, Zelwiger and kind of guys like that. But I also kind of remember growing up looking at Sebastian Coosa was a goalie in Ford, Scotch when I was growing up, and I remember the year he got drafted and looking at him, and so yeah, I've been pretty lucky. B l scaped from some pretty cool names. But yeah, it's been fun being with from fort schedule.
Speaker 4: Just to kind of continue into the draft quickly and talk about you know, you know, you go ninth this year. You were kind of one of the names that was more talked about than other players, you know, in terms of your ranking, and you started high and then you went low and then you built yourself back up. Did you ever pay attention to any of that or or you know, friends, and how was that dealing with that? Because I thought for you, it showed an immense amount of maturity and and and emotional bandwidth to handle that, because you know, again you're you haven't even been able to prove yourself at the NHL level, at the NHL level, and you're already being talked about, like you know, up and down the ranking. So how was that for you this season? And it did any moments that were hard?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I tried to focus on I tried not to focus on the Obviously they're there every single kid at social media and everybody's kind of looking at those rankings and seeing those rankings pop up on your feed. But it was obviously some moments where you try not to get too high and you try not to get too low. But I think for me, the biggest thing I was really focused on was just being with the guys. A big thing that really helped me was just immersing myself with the guys. And I was super lucky to have an unbelievable team with unbelievable guys around me that really supported me. They were they were always cheering for me and always kind of being my biggest supporter. So I was super nice both on the ice and off the ice.
Speaker 6: I mean a lot of my.
Speaker 8: Year and year kind of have to give a lot of credit to my teammates, both kind of with how they were able to teach me some things on the ice, but as well off the ice. I think kind of being in that North Dakota locker room was something that really grounded me, just being around those guys and knowing it's not really the bigger picture for us this year was was winning, and that was really what I was trying.
Speaker 6: To focus on throughout the year.
Speaker 8: Obviously there's lots of things in the background and lots of things you see in here, but the biggest thing I was really focus on with that group of guys was just to win. We had so many guys that were so bought in, and it was pretty inspirational to go to the rink every single day there and just compete with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm so impressed by that because I go back to my draft here, and like I did not handle the pressure as well in in my draft year, and I listened to you, and I hear you and JD. I don't know about you, but it was it was a stressful year for me. So to hear you talk about it and you, you know, be so articulate, it's impressive. So I guess I want you to take us through, take us into the draft.
Speaker 4: I was passed over three years in a row in the draft from the seventh round, so I had no stress.
Speaker 5: There you go, there, you go, there, you go anyways, but you know, you know you're sitting in the draft. You know there's four defensemen that are going ahead of you. Like, what's what's going through your head at that moment as you're sitting there before you're selected.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think for a lot of it, you kind of sit there and you have possibilities of teams you've talked with, and kind of you get to know them a bit at the combine and see what's going on. So I think I was trying not speculate too much. I'm really trying to sit there and enjoy the moment. It was obviously a little stressful time, but looking back at it now, it was pretty incredible and I wouldn't have wanted to go any other way. I mean sitting through that, I think my family and my mom is maybe a little more stressed than uh.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 4: It's always that, but it was fun talk about just the combine and and I think I talked to a couple of you guys during the finals and I asked, you know, there's always some funky, quirky meetings with teams. What was the team that kind of it was a little bit interesting, you know, your meeting with them or they did something different.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think there's there's a couple of different ones. I mean, I think there's the usual ones. Some your questions. None of them were too too crazy, but they all had their unique quirks. Every single team is kind of different and there it was fun talking with all them.
Speaker 4: Was it Montreal? Did Montreal do like you had to like put put a garbage can at a distance or something?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Montreal did a garbage can and you had to throw the puck in the bucket and it was kind of test of confidence.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: I didn't when I interview with Montreal, they didn't ask me that.
Speaker 8: They asked me this year if I went to a restaurant and asked for B L T and I asked for a cheese on it, but the the whatever serving me said the cheese would cost extra. And then I went outside, got to my car, opened my bot and saw there's no cheese.
Speaker 6: And they asked what I do. So that was kind of a weird question I got. But other than that, there was wasn't too.
Speaker 4: Many say drive the car through the restaurant or what.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, something something along those lines.
Speaker 2: I have to ask.
Speaker 5: You know, you're finally you're finally in San Jose. You know you're there, you're at development camp. How has it been? What has it been like being around the guys? You know, I mean, what's what's the feeling overall now now that you're drafting and now you're San Jose shark.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's uh, it's pretty cool, like I said, to be a draft to such an amazing organization, with the opportunity that this team has and the kind of people they have around the team and sports staff and the management and the coaching staff as well, it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 6: So just with the as for the guys.
Speaker 8: Too, like getting to all of them and being around the rink with them and kind of meeting the people behind the scenes.
Speaker 6: Too, has been pretty cool.
Speaker 8: Obviously kind of a couple of guys I know for in the past, but building those relationships with these guys that we're gonna have futures with together and be around the same organizations.
Speaker 6: So it's super fun and it's it's just a cool experience as a whole.
Speaker 4: Before we get into all things Sharks and I'm just chomping at the bit to talk to you about that, I want to talk a little bit about your you know, your story. You're you're in junior Victoria Royals and you decide kind of to go from the dub to to No Dak and you know what prompted that decision and was it a tough one at the time, and and how did you you know, how did you feel about that, you know, your family and making that big change.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one hundred percent of a tough one. Victoria played such a huge role in my life and my young career as well. I had an amazing built family there, amazing coaching staff, amazing teammates.
Speaker 2: And management as well.
Speaker 8: It was the spot that kind of gave me my first opportunity in junior and people that first kind of believed in me and took that step on me.
Speaker 6: I know, coming into Victoria is pretty raw.
Speaker 8: And had a lot of development to do, I think, and they really shaped me up and turned me around, and I got to give I was still thanking for my time in Victoria, but yeah, it was a super tough decision to make that jump in North Dakota.
Speaker 6: Going on.
Speaker 8: We had played out my six year old the year and went on some visits to some schools, and going to North Dakota just kind of felt like the place for me, the people there, at the support we had. You can go on and on about what's amazing about North Dakota and I still could now and after one year there, I I I have so much pride and love for the program and and for the people there. So it's it's been pretty amazing for the year I have and for the team we're gonna be having next year.
Speaker 5: Before we do get into Sharks, because I want to let JD ask some more about that and get into it.
Speaker 2: You know, I have to ask, what.
Speaker 5: Was there a defenseman or a player that you really kind of model your game after or you know that you answered, I'm sure in the interviews when you rask by teams ask you know, who do you monitor who do you monitor game after? Who do you want to be like the NHL? Is there is there a player that jumps out at you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. No, there's a couple of guys. I think I really liked Washington Thomas Harley after the Four.
Speaker 8: Nations and seeing his game, and he's young, young Canadian defenseman and is a bigger.
Speaker 6: Guy and someone that I've kind of tried to model my game after. Is just a two way ability.
Speaker 8: His ability to defend and shut down guys but also create some offense and move the bucks up the ice of the forward tense. H.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's a good that's a good comp for you as well, A great one. He's a good skater, he's very I think he's he's underrated, I still think in the league. So that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 4: Talk a little bit. You're with the Sharks. First impressions at dev camp. What's been your favorite drill and your worst drill that you've just absolutely just buysed at depth camp because it's a little bit of a grind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, it's all been fun.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, it's it's uh, it's a cool experience here and the drills have been fun kind of doing some of that technique stuff and focusing on the small details.
Speaker 6: That's super important.
Speaker 8: So it's been cool to come here and learn from these guys and and just listen to these guys as well and soak it all in. I think the things they preach are important, and kind of listening to them and trying to implement the style playing in my game and implement their little there's little skills and tactics.
Speaker 6: It's been fun. And it's for the worst drill. There's been nothing so far.
Speaker 4: So uh oh, you're such a hey car radio love that answer. There is some that one legged. I watched that big seven, that big seven karmanop doing the doing that edgework around the stick, and I you know, I feel for him because I hated that when I did.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 6: I saw that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Are there any proper?
Speaker 4: How big? How big is that fucker?
Speaker 6: Seven to eighty pounds? I think is a beast?
Speaker 8: Like not even skinny either, Like you look at like seven to one guys, you think they'll be like tall and lanky, But he's.
Speaker 6: Tall, like built and like just strong. It's it's insane.
Speaker 5: And he was moving pretty well around the like on one leg, like moving around that stick like no problem, Like he pretty well looks like too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people shipping on him in the on Twitter, I was like, that's such a hard drill on your outside edge.
Speaker 6: Oh no, speed, should have flip.
Speaker 8: Should have shown him then showing me probably looked like a deer on ice watching me out there.
Speaker 5: Have you gotten to meet I me know, I know you mentioned Joe and some of the other development staff before we got on this, before we were recording. Are there any other players besides Jason de Murz or current players you've gotten to talk to since being drafted?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's been a couple, I think.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, it's a pretty cool moment right after the draft and Maclin called me and talk to me and welcome the organization. Welcomed me to the organization. So that was a pretty cool moment for sure. Obviously talking to a guy like that. Obviously he's at such a young age. He's done so much for the league and done so much as in his young career. It's it's been an inspiration for a lot of kids, and it's pretty cool to watch him play. So a lot of those those guys and just guys that are seeing around the rink and hanging out.
Speaker 6: So it's it's been cool and it's been fun.
Speaker 4: What you know, obviously we got to ask about I mean, there's two guys that I think is great. I mean you probably saw him a little bit, but how was he meeting Jumbo and just feeling his energy. I'm sure you've heard stories about him, but Joe Thornton, you know, first impressions of meeting that guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was cool. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 8: Actually, he's obviously kind of hear so many things, and I grew up kind of watching him as being an Edmonton seeing Edmonton and sounds that you play quite a bit, and grew up seeing him play and just kind of meet him and seeing him on the ice.
Speaker 6: Was pretty cool.
Speaker 8: He's obviously got so much energy and so positive out there and really just wants to help the guys out. So be out there with him and be on the ice of the guy of that stature and a career he had was was pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: Have you had conversations with management or any coaches about you know, where you stand or what they want to see or you know, what they want to see out of you as far as developing or has it just kind of been Hey Keaton, just have you know, have fun and enjoy this and we're just going to take this day by day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 8: I think just kind of enjoy the experience right now, folks on on the present, and like I said earlier, folks is just focusing on soaking everything in becoming a better player right here, right here, right now, and kind of taking everything I can from the coaching staff and the development staff and as well the players around me too. I mean, these guys have been doing this for longer than me and have some tricks that I can still learn from them. So just be in a sponge out there and learn learn from all the guys and the cuating staff.
Speaker 4: Talk about no Dak right now. You're going back next year, right and you're gonna unless you just blow the doors off in training camp, which it might happen. Who knows, you might get you might get tempted out. But if you go back to Noak, you know, talk about somebody that maybe you know, I think your team is was was just so deep top to bottom, but but talk about somebody that maybe nobody really knows about that that you loved playing with over there at Noak.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I could go on and on about guys in North Dakota.
Speaker 8: There's guys there that I've obviously became so close with and really built good relationships with and bonds with. I mean, when you're that close so that as a team and go pretty far, it's it's relationships you never forget. But I mean there's there's so many guys there you look at it a lot of guys that you look at the guys that left this year, Like I mean rick Wood was a bit a guy for me.
Speaker 6: Elis Rickwood who.
Speaker 8: Makes that jump into the A at the end of the year and end up becoming a goal scorer there and was scoring three points.
Speaker 4: Eh, yeah, ye had two goals right away and then in the playoffs, yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: So he's a guy that was so good for us all year.
Speaker 8: But I mean I could go on on, like especially for like guys like Zamolik, our captain Livnavige and we those guys are players that really define a North Dakota culture and really built it.
Speaker 6: I mean they're there for the couple tough years and.
Speaker 8: Built that program back up and not saying back up, but like we're so proud of our legacy and our history and tradition, and those are guys that really really displayed it day in and day out.
Speaker 6: So lots of guys like that that really taught me and.
Speaker 8: The guys and the freshman and the transfers this year what it's like to be a North Koloka player.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna switch things up a little bit because I want to see we were talking about before the show and and you know, now JD, you know, being retired, being a former Shark, you know, Keaton, Like, I want to ask you if you have any questions for JD as far as you know, being what it means to be a San Jose Shark also playing in the league, getting there and staying there and you know, I mean, if there's anything you have to ask him. I know, you're you're there at San Jose. Tell them about the bars, yeah yeah, yeah, no, no, no, none of that about what bars to go to now hockey stuff. You know, I wonder we're all just shooting the ship here, you know, we're just curious if you have any questions for him.
Speaker 2: You know, we just see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I don't know too much. I mean it's.
Speaker 8: Couple of days, but I mean, like just kind of I mean asking about his time and what it's like to play in front of the fans and things like that, and what it's like to be what it means honestly to be.
Speaker 6: A Shark too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it was, you know, I started at twenty one there, and I mean it was still to this day. You know, I'm gonna be I'll be there doing pre and post stuff and some studio work too. I do a lot of TV with them now. I just love it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: It's probably the one place that I played in that the fan base still, you know, was kind of embraced me and embraced the way I played. You know, it's it's a more knowledgeable fan base than people think, and they just they love exciting hockey. So really, like as a defenseman and a guy, I know your style. Watch a lot of your game too, Like you know, you do make the simple pass, but you do have some I think there is another level to you as a player in terms of risk reward that you can you can add into your game, and I think you will as you get older, and you understand because defenseman, it takes a little bit of time, and there's no better development squad than in San Jose, I think right now in the league. So you're going to be in for a treat, you know, once you decide. But yeah, yeah, it's it's a loud ass building too, man like. It's people don't realize how loud it is until you see game one, or even if you see that, you know if you're you're able to get a preseason game at home this year. It's just so much fun. It's really there's no city you know that that's kind of like it's very underassuming, like you don't know that it's actually this big hockey town. But everybody's a fan. Everybody loves the Sharks, and I'm sure every single there's so many people in San Jose that know who you are and know your whole life story, so and they root for you. There's really no hate towards players, which is nice. As a player. You know, you go to other places and you're gonna be judged a little bit more, and of course you're gonna you know, Sharks fans will judge on a bad game and stuff like that, but they root for you at the end of the day because they love good people. So it's a cool thing. It's a great, great place to be a part of a great organization too that you're gonna you know, you're gonna see Jumbo more in the shower than any other player, which is kind of funny once you start seeing a hall of fame or just showering every day at the rink, said Creep, I.
Speaker 2: Have the best culture there. But but but he's right though.
Speaker 5: I remember playing, I mean, I remember going on the road and playing in San Josean and being it was on another level as far as how loud and felt like it was. It felt like it was fifty guys on the ice because the crowd be right on top of you, and you know, the way that they played it was so exciting. So you're you're you're gonna fit in just fine in that organization.
Speaker 2: I know. JD agrees as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're we have one from uh one more from tal for you here, just a couple here.
Speaker 2: King.
Speaker 3: I just well, actually it's more for the guys because I want to see what more advice they have for Keaton. I mean, the guy got drafted less than a week ago. But I'm wondering, JD, is there someone that in player development or with the organization that you got to recommend Keaton kind of make sure he I wouldn't say, kiss his ass, but at least, you know, makes nice with as he as he you know, becomes more a part of the organization.
Speaker 4: Have you met Burkie yet? Has Burkee been around there?
Speaker 6: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: He's one of the scouts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, not much.
Speaker 4: I think you'll probably see him, but he's he's just an older head. No, I think listen. I think it's Jumbo for sure, is a great guy to pick his brain. I think Mike Riachie's a great guy to pick his brain. He's been around for a long time. And and uh, you know, I always loved I played with Tommy Wingles, so.
Speaker 2: I played with Spece too. Spiece is a great dude too.
Speaker 4: It's just you can't miss I think, just you know, the one thing I was always told Keats is uh is just be be a sponge man. Just ask questions, learn figure out different ways to play, and see what works for you, and then just take what works for you. And but you know, not changing who you are as a player, like stick to your strengths.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and only other thing for me is just I'm curious Keaton like you are now joining what a lot of people are calling probably the best young group you know of prospects in the NHL. I mean you mentioned maclan, he got Stenberg second overall, Michael Misa. I mean, it's a pretty pretty great group. What's what's it like for you? I mean, first of all, how many of these guys are you familiar with as far as their game and what they've already done, and and what's it like for you being part of this core that that looks like it could do some special things in the next few years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's super cool.
Speaker 8: I mean seeing the guys and especially these past couple of years watching their hockey and watching San Jose games, it's been so exciting.
Speaker 6: I mean the hockey has been fun, the hockey has been high paced.
Speaker 8: And seeing what they've done the past couple of years and seeing the steps they've taken, and like with the guys that are here and are playing on the team right now, it's just as exciting hockey to watch.
Speaker 6: And then you talk about I mean you had Ivory.
Speaker 8: Had stant like Stenberg in there, and it's pretty incredible. I mean the type player he is it's it's fun to watch, I mean played against seeing him at World Juniors and seeing a couple other events and watching the way he takes over games and the way he's able to move the puck and do everything is pretty special.
Speaker 4: Is he the guy that's impressed you the most? Last one for me?
Speaker 8: There, Yeah, I haven't like seen skated like over the course of the past couple years. I think over the past year, definitely him, especially at World Juniors and seeing him there, but at like at camp so far we've been on separate team, so I haven't skated too much together. But just as a person, he's an unbelievable guy and it's been fun to get to know him.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been fun to get to know you, buddy, and I wish you all the luck at development Camp. Get through it, go, enjoy Santana Rogo, get a little pizza Antiica, and enjoy some time with the boys. But good luck and thanks for coming on with us. But man, yeah, thank you, lucky, Thanks man.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Keaton Verhoff, Quicksten a Fill and sixty toy story five cash grabbers what they should have just called it. I mean, how do you not end this? After three three is an outstanding movie. Quentin Tarantin, who even said Toy Straight three is won the great movies of all time. Heartbreak again. What he gives away with the toys are sure the kickers with the toys.
Speaker 2: What's the toy.
Speaker 1: Toy Straight four? Unnecessarily Toy Straight five. I'm like, oh my god. Now the toys are battling with iPads. Could have just had a nightpad rather than spend one hundred bucks in the tickets and eighty dollars on the pop corny candy. But congratulations, his picksar another hit at the box office. Tim Allen, just carrying, just carrying the mail is buzz Lightyear to Infinity and beyond. That's where the box office is going. Meantime, let's go back to more of the moves being made. We talked about Florida. You know, Nashville picked up Ross Colton, Jack Drewy Love the Hog Maverick Bork, pretty good, pickup Lubushkin, they got him from the stars, Saint Louis, Mason McTavish, Connor McMichael, Brandon Carlow. They treated Jordan Cairou. We've talked about Toronto quite a bit. We talked about the Sharks and Washington. I should mention they get Jordan Kyru and Alex tu through Chase for a signing boon.
Speaker 4: They need to harn it too.
Speaker 1: Yep. So those the the you know, the team is making moves that look good as far as teams right now. I don't want to say winners and losers JD. Because there's you know, still some to be determined. But the Sabers, as I mentioned, they're a weaker team now, losing Byronman Tuck. They do at Zelweger, Auto loses Brady, but ads Willy Acklin, Andre Borakowski Colorado. U said, you like because they get Schwartz Anaheim, though you get a j. Greer, but you're losing John Carlson, Gudas, Zelweger and Truba on defense. Your thoughts and team that's been underwhelming so far.
Speaker 4: I mean it's got It's probably a toss up between Ottawa and Anaheim. I think Seattle, you can't really get mad at him because they're trying. Ottawa just they need to put that rink down town so goddamn bad. They just can't attract anybody. You know, Brady leaves. You know the return is some picks and stuff like that. But you know they need players. They got some good talent, Tim Stutzlo, they got some good you know, Jake Sanderson, you gotta you gotta hurry up because Jake Sanderson's gonna leave because if anything's if anything is certain in life, it's death taxes in that Team USA group chat, and that group chat's humming, and Jake Sanders is probably like, get me out of here. Misa, Misa, Michael him, Michael, Mista. You know Melata, I think I killed her with my carate.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts in Anaheim. They could use a defenseman.
Speaker 2: They could use a couple of defensemen.
Speaker 4: I think Jensen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they get Jensen, which is a good pick up. But I mean you have Jackson leccomb obviously, but I'm looking at their d it's Drew Hellison, mitt Nikoff, you know, Tyson Hens. I mean, but it's after that you don't really have much. So I think they they have to. I think they're gonna go out and get one or two more guys, because you know, you lose a guy like Truba and Carlson, those are tough holes to fill. So and then I think, you know, you look at what like I love what Washington did for a team that didn't make the playoffs. Like I think Washington really kind of hit it out of the part with all the guys oh yeah and talking.
Speaker 1: You still don't know if a Vection's coming back. And I'll see this for e. G. Rockman a great point on a vection today through four hours of covers in nhelwork, he goes, he's kind of a DH now, but the other day he scored three two goals last year, I know it five on five. Oh, we can't keep up necessarily, and he has to be a power place spost some ways. But three two goals is thirty two goals. So we don't still know if a Vets's coming back. But to Nate's point, you're getting tucked back and you know he's gonna score and Kyra's gonna score. So like those are top end guys. I would think if they're clicking, Uh, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I wouldn't mind. And I could see OV. Jesus's my wife's moving furniture right now over there. Sorry, you know, I think I could see OV coming back halfway through the year, come back right before just missed the first twenty thirty games, Like just if.
Speaker 1: You're gonna play, you're gona play.
Speaker 4: If not, it's okay, No, fuck dad, he could do whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: Mess right, he's at least two fifty right now. You think he's just right? Hang on.
Speaker 4: They probably just said work workout, skate with the team, come hang out, we'll sign you when we're ready a million dollar deal. Will go win a cup if you want to play. If not, just enjoy the KHL.
Speaker 1: Now down, No, because if you have a ven you want to the merchandise and the tickets and everything, like, we need you for the whole season. Show up for forty games.
Speaker 4: They're going to be an exciting team Without Ov, They're gonna that Metropolitan Division goes Carolina. Was Washington, Yeah, you know, was Devil's Devil's kind of you can maybe see him there, but it's really it's really wash. Like I think Philly is gonna stink this year.
Speaker 1: No, that's not true. There's still not Listen, they're on car I think Carlson goes Lightning. I'm just telling you Philly potentially.
Speaker 4: Gets watch this. Okay, you heard it here first. Philly is gonna be way out of the playoffs next year.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, we have to make sure we remember this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, locked up Tyson Forrester. If the doors are ready to go? Oh yeah, you have the same exact team. You have the same team that different playoffs.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get off this. They're gonna get John Carlson.
Speaker 1: Probably Dal give us your draft All Name Team. You're excited about.
Speaker 3: This, very excited. It's the first annual All Name team brought to you by kidding. We don't have a sponsor, but.
Speaker 4: Nice first and only one because first and maybe only.
Speaker 3: We got a couple of divisions here. I'm big on the names. We start with the Cruise Lucius Division, just straight up fantastic name. Starts with Brooks Rogowski six seventh, what goes to Vancouver. Here's another one. I like Timofay runtso from Montreal. Actually read backstory on this kid, you'll love it. Add now. He's actually a product of the Junior Kings program. His dad Andre plays from Belarus and played professionally, came to Southern California, became a stuntman and has worked on films like Salt Jack, Reacher and Amazing Spider Man.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I love this guy.
Speaker 3: Evan Jardine like kind of a smooth jazz.
Speaker 4: Sound of this love that smooth jazz.
Speaker 3: Beckham Edwards to Detroit, Ben Roberto Henriquez goalie to Boston, born and raised in Slovakia, Dominican Dad. You figure it out. It's like another junior King goes to Winnipeg, the first player of Samoan descent drafted in the and then Joe again La Jerome's kid drafted by Calgary.
Speaker 4: That's fantastic.
Speaker 3: And then we have what I like to call the the bond Villain division, guys who sound like they could be a bond Villain. There's it starts starts, of course with Eva Stenberg, Eva Eva Vigo Byork by the who by the way, apparently already looks awesome at Jet's dev camp.
Speaker 4: But he's gonna be. He's somebody that we had our researcher in Ahl network said like, he's going to be. He's like a Braandon pointlg.
Speaker 1: You said that.
Speaker 4: Stank in the oven. Keep going.
Speaker 3: We got Anaheim pick Nikita Kliphov, you know you have to have a in there. And then Pittsburgh draft pick Parker von Richter.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he can play, but it's a great name.
Speaker 4: Von Richter is nice.
Speaker 3: And then we have finally, we have the boy band division. These guys all sound like they could be in a boy band. Starts, of course with Buffalo defenseman Daxon with an ex Rudolph. He's the leader, and Chase reed to Seattle he's the shy one, of course.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: This is the first time I've heard this.
Speaker 4: Is I call this lazy. I call this hippie parents.
Speaker 3: Lawrence are they combined two names into one, Tynan Lawrence Saint Louis Maddix with an ex Maddox Dash and he's the bad boy, and then.
Speaker 4: Called the hippie parents Maddox by Jad I'm calling my kid Mason.
Speaker 2: Has a hippie name for sure. While there's hip music.
Speaker 4: Well they're yeah, but like that's like Jackson's like naming your kid Nason Nate and Jason that's actually a nice name. That's not bad.
Speaker 3: Actually about Jay?
Speaker 4: What about Jade? Not Jake?
Speaker 1: J j Jade is brutal.
Speaker 3: And then the last member of the boy band division is Jackson with an ex Jackson cover to Ottawa. He's the sensitive one. There it is, folks, you're your first and only.
Speaker 4: All name team I like it.
Speaker 1: The boy tel that was great, well done, well done.
Speaker 4: Tell I love that. Actually that was that was nerdy but fun.
Speaker 1: Last time we handed out flowers to Alex Steen. An eventful summer so far from the Blues State officially named the team's general manager. You played thirteen seasons in Saint Louis, won a couple of Blues in twenty nineteen, immediately joins the front office after retirement. Was a special assistant to Doug Armstrongholdermine as president hockey Operations. You're thoughts she had a former player now running a team. It's clearly is a trend we've been seeing for a while.
Speaker 4: Dah Steiner, I mean he's been around the organization now for a while. I think he's been learning from Doug Armstrong for quite a bit. And this was just this was the plan for the last couple of years. And he's a brilliant hockey mind. And he was a great player, really a good teammate. You hear everything about his leadership as well. So I think he's gonna fit fit in just nice. And I mean they've done a great job, him and Doug hand in hand. I can't imagine this like the draft and everything was Doug Armstrong. I think he was him at the helm to maybe protect Stein or if anybody came after him. But I think all of these moves has been Alex DestinE, Alex Stine's kind of vision, and I think it's been a good vision and they've they look good right now. I like what Saint Louis has done.
Speaker 1: Nate your thoughts on it.
Speaker 2: I think it's great.
Speaker 5: I actually played with him a long time ago on a play with Everybody, Boston Iman. Alex Stein great, great guy. But yeah, I mean I think it's a it's a great uh, it's a great fit. I mean, I like seeing this former players, especially because Alex Stein was he was like a top line guy and then he was a fourth.
Speaker 2: Line guy at the end of his career.
Speaker 5: So he's kind of, you know, he's been at every every role and I think, you know, him being a part of the team at won a Cup and now he gets to put his uh, his footprints on the team.
Speaker 2: I think this is gonna be great. I think he's gonna do a great job there.
Speaker 3: He's Jack too, I might whatever that's worth absolutely jacked. I remember covering him in Saint Louis and he come out with his shirt off and just damn, I gotta get them too the gym.
Speaker 4: Like yesterday, Flowers.
Speaker 1: We're also hitting out Flowers, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce. You talk about Friday Night, Well, if that's something that we do here, but what wait?
Speaker 4: Are we talking about Swift?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Swift and Kelso getting married a.
Speaker 4: Insane like just who the woho do you think you are.
Speaker 1: That you can just get married at Madison Square Ground, the world's most famous arena.
Speaker 2: I know we missed.
Speaker 4: I'm shocked they picked that for all the locations, like as rich as you are, right, Yeah, it's like to go to Tokyo Drift, But what.
Speaker 2: Is msg going to look like on the inside? Though? That's what I'm curious about.
Speaker 4: Pretty sick, I think it was. I think they seem to love each other.
Speaker 2: You you think you think it's going to be done under five?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I hope I listen. I don't. I don't advocate for divorce, so I hope they picked the right people.
Speaker 1: I think once he retires Challenge, he doesn't have much time left as an NFL players.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's pretty busy though he's already gotta he's already been retired for two years. He sucks for two years.
Speaker 3: He'll be doing media the second he's done playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like he's going to be busy. He's got a great career. He's had an amazing career, and I think he's going to have a He's going to be good in retirement. I think he's pretty business savvy.
Speaker 5: Just not the first MSG wedding by they're probably gonna have kids right away too, that's likely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true, probably right.
Speaker 1: What was that MG weddings?
Speaker 3: Not the first MSG wedding. Slah Stone sly Stone, sla Stone got married in Madison Square. I don't think it lasted very long.
Speaker 4: Just you and all the rats in that building in the food.
Speaker 1: Thanks for checking out HL and script We'll be back hopefully in a couple of weeks. Look like a bi weekly schedule. Enjoy Cottage Country.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we'll see us soon.
Speaker 1: NHL Unscripted is a production of the NHL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.