Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done done.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: My name is Lisa Traeger, my name is Kara Klink. And you know how we do. Every week we dissect an episode of Long Order SVU and then we take you through the true crime that the episode was based on and then interview some hotty that was on the episode. And today is no different. Lisa, we have a thousand things to talk about today.
Speaker 4: One thousand and I have a surprising thing to tell you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what is it.
Speaker 2: I saw Fast and Furious nine in the movie theater yesterday.
Speaker 1: Liza. It's so crazy that that happened. I didn't know you were part of the Fast and Furious family. I didn't know that you were into those I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know either. But I am committed for life. And it is silly. I love a movie. It's like Spice World, Like I love a movie that's like, we know we're silly, and we're okay with it. Yeah, We're going to take a Pontiac into outer space.
Speaker 1: And that's that, and that's that. On that listen, I'll tell you something. I've never watched a second of a Fast and Furious movie. I've never seen one of them. Well, I saw the first one. I think Paul Walker's very hot rip. But that's it. I don't know anything else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it was great. I mean, Ludacris is in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And what's weird is he such a good actor in SVU A flop as an actor in.
Speaker 1: This Fianna Luda no.
Speaker 2: Barely acting like I don't know how he does it because he's so talented in SVU, I thought, but whatever, but Vin Diesel's funny.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was a great time Charlie's throne, her earring game was amazing. Enough about Fast and the Furious, of course, but I just thought you'd be shocked as I was.
Speaker 4: I am shocked. I am shocked.
Speaker 1: Like when I imagined what you were doing last night, it wasn't that. I finally went last night to a restaurant in LA that I've been dying to go to for six years since I moved here, and it was really good. Are you going to give him a shout out or what you ordered. It's called Bestia's. It was hard to get a reservation, but it was packed to the fucking gills. I thought I would see a celeb. To be honest, I didn't look around much. But my friend that went saw Kanye last time she was there, so I was hopeful. But you know, saw a lot of very stylish people and had some delicious wine. The somelier talked us into a bottle of wine we could not afford, and so he's very good.
Speaker 2: Wait, but what did you order? You said there was a lot of meat options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very meaty place. Like Bestia literally means beast, so it's a you know, meaty place. But we got squid ink pasta, which for me is adventurous because I'm usually like get the same like few pastas when I go places. And the squading pasta was very good. And then we got a Brenzino because I do eat fish.
Speaker 2: I'm a squid ink fanatic. Oh you are, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: It's good. I didn't know what it would taste like, and it was really salty. I think it was I was telling Jared I watched a girl eat squiddink pasta on my semester abroad twenty years ago, and I was like, I don't like the way this looks. Her teeth turned black immediately. I was like, I hate this. But this didn't happen with the squiding pasta we had last night.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: One time.
Speaker 2: I ran into Janelle James in New York and she was like, what's up with your mouth?
Speaker 1: And I had black all over my mouth and.
Speaker 2: I said, oh, I was just eating squid ink pasta, and she goes, last time we hung out, you were eating chicken liver moose.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with you? She like, you're eating too many weird foods.
Speaker 2: And I was like, it is fucked that you've seen me this in one week, eating all of these weird foods.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, it was a pretty hilarious.
Speaker 2: I have a weird thing that happened as well. So you know, I do my workout classes with Stasha pat Well my school of thought. So she calls her like one of her programs the junior high. Yeah, people called her a pedophile. She has to change the name.
Speaker 1: I saw her post. I saw her post because we follow each other, and I saw her post this morning, going, I'm changing the name of Junior High to something something thought thought certification, and she was I can't believe I have to say this, And I was like, that's okay, I wonder what happened.
Speaker 2: Like I said, you're not a pedophile. People are crazy, you know, likely what who cares? And she goes, if more than one person thinks you're a pedophile, you have to change the name. But basically they implied that because the program was called Junior High and her classes are school of thought, that she's teaching children to be thoughts thoughts.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. But I also thought that I thought of it more like junior varsity because it's like, yes, you know, it's like, isn't it the lower it's not the lower level, but it's not as hard as the one on one.
Speaker 2: No, no, it is as hard, but you do it with like a group trading right right instead of one on one, so it's more affordable.
Speaker 1: So it's like a.
Speaker 4: Junior high mini program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people are like, you're a pedophile.
Speaker 2: So I just thought that our audience would like to hear about pedophile news, you know, Okay, I'm being honest, you.
Speaker 1: Know, well, speaking of sexual assault, in the news, Bill Cosby was released from jail in a insane turn of events. I still don't really understand what happened. Apparently one prosecutor told him you will not be prosecuted, and then the prosecutor that took that pop prosecutor's job ended up prosecuting him, and so they let him go based on the deal that the first prosecutor gave him.
Speaker 2: I've refused to read anything about it because I know it's just going to make me mad, and so I saw it. It's not news to me that people don't care about sexual assault, but it is infuriating.
Speaker 1: It's just gross that he has never expressed any remorse at all.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think you thinks seated anything wrong. I think he is someone that thinks women are for being a wife or for me to drug you and rapio like. I don't think he respects women at all. And you know, with his traditional points of view, he's just a piece of shit. And I am just annoyed. I'm annoyed, and I'm mad and angry, and it's everything that's.
Speaker 1: Wrong with the system. And I really just don't want to have to argue with comedians about this. Yeah, well, I understand that. And so Cosby got out of jail, and someone that is remaining in jail is Alison Mack, the actress who was instrumental in the Nexium debacle with Keith Ranieri. She got sentenced to three years in federal prison. Is in federal prison like kind of more cushy, like a little nicer than I think.
Speaker 2: It's more safe. It's like more security or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going to happen. Throw everyone in a fucking ditch. No, that was my Soviet vibes coming out.
Speaker 1: She'll be out in three years.
Speaker 4: She will serve a harsher crime than Bill Cosby.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was. It's it's all too much.
Speaker 2: And I know we do a show about all this, but it is just too much sometimes. And right now for future episodes, I'm researching one crime that's truly breaking my spirit.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: The world is fucked, and sometimes it's just too much.
Speaker 1: I just could not read about Bill Cosby getting released.
Speaker 4: I just couldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dozens and dozens of women over decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that cover, we shared it on our stories. But like that cover of I think it's like the new York Times magazine or something that Marishka shared was or posted, is like that really strikes you. How many women are sitting there as Bill Cosby's victims.
Speaker 4: And we know this, And that's what pisses me off.
Speaker 2: Is like, on top of all the abuse everyone goes through constantly, it's like the gaslighting and the diminishing of everything where it's like, I just if I hear another person ever anywhere, even if they're not at my table, I will hit them, like I don't care if anyone ever again says why didn't she go to the cops. Just go to the cops, go to the courts. You deserve tobody slapped in the face. That's my new policy. I am not engaging in that conversation anymore. And I don't know how many more like evident, like, how many more examples we need to prove how fucked up our judicial system is when it comes to sex crimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's very annoying.
Speaker 1: And in many other ways, I mean not just sex crimes, but in a lot of things that deal with women. I mean Britney Spears, they just said today her appeal was denied. I didn't see the removed. But but listen, from what I read, that doesn't mean that it's over. It's like, basically that was not in response to the twenty four minute statement that she made, like that's it's from what I read, there's still hope. This is not the end. But it's crazy because this Hollywood producer, it's his mother who's the judge. So it is a female judge because people are saying, oh, this is sexist, like a man would not be locked up like this, or like the way that Brittany is locked up, you know, physically and emotionally and finding But it is a female judge. But there is also you know, internalized misogyny everywhere.
Speaker 2: So often I feel like old school feminism and the like. To get ahead, it was, how do I join the boys club? How do I get a seat at the table. And to get a seat at the table with the boys club, you have to act like a boy. You have to be a piece of shit, you have to join in the patriarchal ways, like a Betsy DeVos is a good example, you know, like it's not like you bring your full femininity to the table and you achieve success at bear Stearns. You know, like you are hiding that and being as masculine as possible, and the new wave or like how I feel is like, fuck the table.
Speaker 4: I don't want your table.
Speaker 1: I want my own table.
Speaker 4: I want my own rules.
Speaker 2: I don't want to fit into what you've created society to be. And that's how I feel about like maybe an old judge who's been around for a while, it's like you're following the rules of the patriarchy, thinking like I need to keep being here and be the woman here, versus like you know, diving into your femininity and wanting your own system that you create. I feel that way, and sometimes within comment they're like if you look sometimes at like the women that truly succeed, they're not bringing other women around. They're not like they're not suddenly like breaking down barriers. They're doing what they can to stay at that table and be the one woman at the table. And so that's what I think of when I see old dumb bitches acting like an old dumb bitch.
Speaker 1: So that is how I feel.
Speaker 2: I also would like to add shout out to everyone that I met in Philly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was so cool to see all you guys going out to see Liza. That was really fun and I was jealous and I'm hoping that we have more future.
Speaker 2: Everyone is excited to come see us. People asked about Oscar. Everyone was great and everyone was cool, like I met an author, I met some chefs that are juicing. People are listening to us at work every day, Kaylee, Tabitha.
Speaker 4: We went out.
Speaker 2: I mean it was really fun meeting everyone that liked the pod, and I could tell who the pod people were in the audience. I'm like, oh, do you have bright yellow hair? I bet you listen to the pod, you know. But then one girl had blue hair, did not listen to the pod. Hopefully she joins us, but she did come from Rochester. But I partied too hard and I Saturday night, I was like, I will not be going out. I have work to do. I have a six am flight. I will behave What did I do? I was smoking cigarettes in someone's hotel bathroom with the steam on until four in the morning, and then packed and then at four point thirty the host drove me to the airport and then I had a hellish Sunday night of traveling.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm no.
Speaker 1: Sleep, Oh my god, Liza.
Speaker 4: But Philly was fun.
Speaker 2: So our I was just nice meeting everyone, So shout out to everyone.
Speaker 4: Oh I met some fine artists, Yeah, fine artists.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, a lot of our listeners have very cool jobs we get. We get emails from like private investigators, from freaking trial lawyers, and like very cool jobs. This one listener, I'll just say her name is Taylor because she didn't say if I could use her name, but she wrote us a message regarding the subway fish scandal that many of you have checked in with us about. She wrote us a DM saying marine biologists here they test fish DNA to make sure that markets are actually selling what they say they're selling. Tuna, swordfish, sharks are all high value fish, but you can't tell the difference once they're a FILA. There's been fraud that benefits the fishmongers or fishermen that are over underreporting what they catch, so biologists struggle to monitor fish stocks. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that this is a big problem for subway, but this has actually been a problem for a really long time, she said, And I was like, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There reminded me because yeah, Sush, she had this issue. People are like getting shittier fish and like just dying it or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like it's not real.
Speaker 2: No, marine biologists. I've wanted to be one. We've all wanted to be one. We've all wanted to go to college in Florida.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, you have that job that like every eleven year old says that they want to have, Like I'm going to work with dolphins and I'm gonna live in Florida. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: Also marine biologists.
Speaker 2: The name of a great Seinfeld episode.
Speaker 1: One of the best.
Speaker 2: I would say my top ten episodes is that one. So if you want to hit up Seinfeld and you have not watched drag Race, and I'm behind on Bravo, so we can't.
Speaker 1: I started, I'm half I honestly got halfway through their entrances, so I started, but I'm not very far in. I'm gonna catch up this week. Well, you've had in Now, speaking of great episodes, we got to dive into today's.
Speaker 4: Great Let's get this baby started.
Speaker 1: All right, So now let's dive into I Deserve Some Loving Too, which is a more recent episode. This is season twenty one, episode fourteen. Actually, this episode aired literally a month before Lockdown Pandemic Lockdown in February of twenty twenty, so feels like it's in our very immediate past. We open on Olivia in her building on the phone. She's in like a nice wood paneled elevator. I love like sort of getting to figure out, like what neighborhood does Olivia live in? What kind of building? You know? While we find out she got a door guy. Baby, Yeah. I was like, that's good that you live in a doorman building. I think you deserve that. I mean there's a lot of people that don't like Olivia Benson walking around New York City. I mean a lot of creeps, you know, So it's good that she has a doorman. Not that man. This man looks like he could defend her or anything, but he is kind of overly cheerful, like miss Benson, your male Like it's it was I thought it was kind of weird. And then the whole opening of this episode is like, can everybody just leave Benson the fuck alone? Like immediately her doorman bothers her. Then as soon as she leaves the building, some jogger is like hey, and then a guy getting out of a cab goes can I get a smile? And like, literally, fuck every can I get a smile? Guy? Forever? Like, I think most women have agreed that you're not going to get a smile that way, and it's the most annoying thing to ask for.
Speaker 4: Well, also, why do people need to smile?
Speaker 1: I don't know to see that either. What if I just got fired? Yeah? What if I just pissed myself. I mean, there's lot of things could be happening.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I just want some I will I now.
Speaker 2: I'm having a lot of fantasies in my brain of punching people in the face.
Speaker 1: I think slowly men are learning that the smile thing is stupid, but I think that they also think it's just like a way to disarm a woman and like get to start flirting. And it's like, no, most women hate it. Most women hate it. So we were following Olivia on her walk and then we sort of transition to following this other hot woman as she walks down the street and she goes down into the subway and we see this guy notice her and follow her down into the subway. But this is midday, so you're not feeling like quite the you're not feeling quite the like ominous, there's an attack about to happen thing. So this woman gets in the subway, then Kat officer to me and gets on the train, and a guy on the train gives her eyes. So it's kind of like, what are we looking at it? We just looking at like men being gross to women day to day in New York City. That's like what the setup is here? And we see this guy who followed the hot woman. We see him kind of like grinding up on the woman that he followed. And then Amanda Rollins gets on the train and she settles in between a couple of man spreaders. And then this original perv who followed the hot woman gropes another woman and now he's like near and every time he gropes woman, the woman's like hey, and he just kind of moves on, which I feel like I can relate to that. I think that is like what happens like somebody bumps up against you and they're like grinding on the back of your butt on the subway and then you're like ew and then they kind of just move away from you. This is years ago.
Speaker 2: I was on the train and I accidentally steps on these girls sneakers a little. I mean, you know, morning commutes are packed, they're a little wild. And she got mad and she's like, don't fucking do that, and I kind of, you know, and then it happened again. She's like, I will fucking like she fully threatened me, and I go, are you kidding? She goes no, and it's like, well you should have saved your money and taken a car, bitch. Sorry, like you're gonna come on the train with new shoes and be mad someone accidentally step by him.
Speaker 1: I got into a fight with a man on the subway for that exact same thing, and he I was with my young cousin, who was like only twelve at the time or something, and I go, oh, I'm sorry, did I hurt your shoes? Like, because he was getting so mad at me, and so I started like making fun of him, and then he was like, you fucking bitch. I was just sitting there like steaming at me, and I was just like, maybe I shouldn't be antagonizing this man while my young cousin is with me like this is. But I've been the opposite.
Speaker 2: I was high as hell once and I guess my stuff was taking up more space than I thought.
Speaker 4: And some guy was like, oh, look at you.
Speaker 2: He's just so selfish and inconsiderate, and I was like, what if I'm just high in reading a book, asshole, And like we got into a full lass fight because like I moved my coat. But it's like you're assuming I was just like in my own world, I don't know. I've been on both sides, lots of fights everywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, we could cut all of this because none of this is about groping or grinding. It's just about us bothering people on the subway. But you know, but basically this guy is just like moving from person to person groping them. Now he's near Cat, and the guy who originally gave Cat eyes gives Cat a signal, and then she grabs the guy and goes, got you grope a dope? Okay, all right? And then this guy Kat's obviously like not strong enough to hold him. I guess he makes a run for it. This is like a.
Speaker 3: Full sting operation. The hot Girl's in on it.
Speaker 1: The original Hawk girl who he followed into the subway as a cop, rollins Taman and the guy who gave Cat eyes at the beginning and they gave her the signal is also a cop. So four undercover officers are like all in this operation to get a subway groper. I'm not saying that that's like not a legitimate concern. I just like I don't believe the NYPD provides this kind of manpower now they're too.
Speaker 4: Busy busting chuer Oh ladies, Right, well, I.
Speaker 1: Was just speaking of This guy starts tearing through the subway. He destroys a turo stand like just fully, like could have just run by it, but instead like throws the turo stand like on the He smashes his cell phone, throws it on the tracks. He gets upstairs, he turns his jacket inside out, puts on a hat, like he kind of knows what he's doing. Then they find like spot him, they grab him, and he keeps going wrong, Guy, wrong, guy, I'm just on my way to work. Police brutality, and like police brutality is very very real. But like this guy is fully guilty, and the crowd starts chanting and going nuts. It's like a very intense scene just where like there's the subway can be already claustrophobic, and then you have like a scene where people are moving in on you and screaming and chanting and no one's listening to what you're saying. Like Icy tries to explain, and he's like, he's a grope or imagine if it was your daughter, and no one cares. They're all just like in on the mob mentality. So it's kind of nuts. And now we're at the precinct. Olivia is reviewing this bystander footage from the internet which has, as she says, that one as viral as the flu good one live and she's kind of reviewing the footage with Deputy Chief Christian Garland played by desmor Barnes, and he's like, who's op was this? And it's the guy who gave the signal to kat Is, Sergeant Hassim Kaldoon Cutie And he comes back in a few episodes, but this is his first appearance in the show and he's part of They literally are like the SVU subway unit. I think he's a transit he's in the transit unit, but they say it's the SVU subway unit, and I'm like, is that a thing? Anyway? They were trying to target cereal grinders. I don't know how you do that. I mean that's literally like finding an ant in an ant hill that is like an asshole ant. Like, there's just so many fucking people in the subway every day. People take different routes, they say, in different cars. I mean, I just don't know how you find cereal gropers. I guess I don't know. There's probably footage, I suppose, but it just seems like a lot. So in this like sting that they set up, they snagged three gropers. They're all at the precinct being interrogated at the same time. I don't know, this is like television magic. So there's like, you know, they're all like, I don't know, my hand slipped, and then another guy's like, what do you want me to do? It's like springtime. Everybody's took their coats off, like I'm al like, everybody's these guys are creeps. And then the third guys who were interested. This is the guy who we followed at from the beginning of the episode who ran and his name is Dwayne Verrick. He's a data clerk for the US Citizenship and Immigration Department.
Speaker 2: He's too hot to be a Duayne Oh I was about says too had to be a Dwayne, but Dwayne the Rock Johnson. Nevermind, Dwayne is rebranded as a hot guy name.
Speaker 1: Did you think because of like Dwayne Wayne from a different world, maybe Dwayne was more of a I thought he was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I take all of this back, Dwayne only hotties because then Dwayne Wade, I think is pretty beloved too.
Speaker 1: So Dwayne is saying that all this touching was accidental, and they're like, okay, why did you run, destroy your phone and change outfits because you're acab? I mean that's not really He's like, well, my dad had that conversation a long time ago with me, Like and then Demur Barnes is like, okay, he's playing the race card and now he's playing his lawyer card, but like, no one is buying it. This guy is clearly like he's just like a little bit too cocky. I don't know it's because he has like a federal job and he knows how the system works and how you can just kind of lie your way through things. But he's definitely a creepo. They want to check his computers, at least his work computer, but Homeland Security is going to throw out roadblocks so lives like what if we don't ask?
Speaker 3: So now they're at the office.
Speaker 1: Of Roory O'Toole, who is a man whose Irish name is matched only by his extremely Irish face. This man looks very, very irish. He's played by Jeremy Bob, who has also been in two other episodes of SVU as different characters, including Lessons Learned, which we have recently covered. And we know him from Russian Doll. Do you remember he's a character in Russian Doll? I do, yeah, which is a show we both love. Sweet Birthday Baby. Anyway, So we're at roy Otol's office at the US Citizenship and Immigration Department and he's talking to Benson and Fann. He's like, yeah, Dwayne works for me. We vet marriages to make sure they're legit and that they're not green card romances. They ask o'tool if they can see Dwayne's computer, and he's like, I got to go through proper channels. And they're like, well, if we were to subpoena you, this would look pretty bad for your office and it would turn you guys into a punchline. And they're like, look, you're an investigator, why don't you check out his search history and if there's anything creepy, let us know flash forward to the precinct. They've obviously looked and found many upskirt photos on this guy's work computer. This is a Class E felony, and they didn't need a warrant because he has a job at a federal building, so his work computer was up for grabs. Now Dwayne is like, all right, I'm screwed, and he uses his bargaining chip, which is he claims that O'Toole, his boss, is actually the PERV. He wants to make a deal. He claims that O'Toole has been holding up green cards in exchange for sex, Like he basically will target young women that face like religious or political persecution back in their country, so they're too scared to go home. They have a couple red flags in their applications for green cards with their husbands, and he basically is like, have sex with me or I'll deport you. So they're like, what's the proof, What proof does Dwayne have of this? And they're like, one time he took a file off his desk and came back the next day smiling and said, the best cure for blue balls is a green card, and I'm like, okay, well, it seems like they need a little bit more like evidence than that. But he does give them a victim name. So now they're questioning Lena Vasquez Boyd. She admits that he questioned her three times out of the office, and she says she did what she had to do, So she essentially admits that this guy did assault her, but she can't testify because she can't go back to Guatemala and she loves her husband and he's been cheated on and he's sensitive and doesn't want to like she doesn't want him to know. So now Finn and Benson are debriefing Garland. They're like, he basically will meet the couple at his office, and then he'll say he needs to meet the women separately, and he'll meet them in his mini van and basically say, you want the green card. I deserve a little love and too. Now that is the name of the episode, is I deserve some loving too. And it's also like this guy's catchphrase, it's very strange, like why would you keep repeating that sentence? Well, this isn't not.
Speaker 2: The first time there a purp has a signature. A little saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right. I guess there's like to tell me that you like it guy or whatever. Yeah, like I'm a bad boy. I mean there.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's a play. It's a thing that happens pretty often for.
Speaker 1: Me, though, Like forcing someone to say something is more of like a power play than just being like, hey, I deserve some love and too. To keep saying hey, I deserve some loving too is weird, I think, But this guy is weird, So you're right, it's not that crazy to have a signature catchphrase when you're a creepy ah.
Speaker 4: So both of us repeat things constantly. We can't fault this guy, yep, but not every time.
Speaker 1: It's not just about repetition. It's like having this dorky line that you say every time you're trying to like assault a woman. You're like, I deserve some love and two. Like it's just weird. I think it's a strange little line. Impressive that it's twenty one letters, though, yes, I was gonna say they also had to maybe they had to hammer it home because they were so excited that they found a twenty one letter name.
Speaker 2: Well, I also wonder if they came up with the title. No, they couldn't, like if they came up with the title, squeezed that in or made it so it had to be twenty one and used it or was it just in there?
Speaker 4: And they're like, can we use it?
Speaker 1: I mean, it would be fine if he if they said it one time in the episode, but they mentioned it three times. They're like, this is his thing that he says all the time. It's just interesting. So basically, if these women turn him down, they'll get supported or they end up in iced attention. So Finn and Olivia want to access his computers and phone records, but Garland is like this is ice, Like, we're gonna need more corroboration, We're going to need more names. So now Rollins and Keldoon, who is this qut from the Subway Unit, are now at a FA restaurant where they asked to see Rosami Klan. She immediately like books of this. She says, oh, I'll go get her for you, and then she books it out of there.
Speaker 2: And the thing is I love that. I think it's one of my favorite things. But she just sped walks too fast?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Like if.
Speaker 2: She just waited three more seconds to speed walk. She could have maybe gotten away.
Speaker 1: If she played it a little bit more chill, which I wouldn't have noticed. She'd be halfway down in Queen somewhere anyway. So they tell her, you're not in trouble, we just want to talk to you about a tool. She goes, he never touched me, and it's like, we didn't even ask you about him touching you, so he definitely touched you. And she says like, I love my husband, go away, leave me alone, and basically like runs away from that. Well.
Speaker 2: I wanted to mention, and I know I've mentioned this podcast this is actually happening multiple times, but there was one woman I've talked.
Speaker 4: About her, but she her dad raped her for years.
Speaker 2: And she was saying, how when you are an immigrant or a person of color, like you are raised or like an immigrant who needs a green card, raised to not trust authority and like not tell anyone anything, so when things do happen, you're just like you don't trust these people at all.
Speaker 4: Right, ever, of course you're gonna run away.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she was taught like, don't ever fucking talk to a uniform person, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, completely, So now we're meeting a third victim Maggie Quigley, who is in Iiced Attention. She's Irish, and she explains to Kat how her husband and her sailed through four interviews, and then O'Toole says he needs to meet with her one more time, picks her up in a mini van with a mattress in the back, tells her, I'll give you a green card and your husband can bang you whenever he wants, and then he says I deserve some loving too. So now we're like getting the catchphrase? Is what is like linking them all? But it's like, we all know who this man is. There's records of him being with you, so I don't know that we need the catchphrase to connect. But so she told him to fuck off, and now she's in ICED attention and she says she can't testify or her husband will get to and he's also on a green card. So Careese is like, we can ask the US attorney for a warrant on the minivan, but then the FEDS will take the case and they won't fight for these women. So Benson comes up with the idea, let's create some of our own victims. Let's like set up a trap like an undercover op. She's got contacts at Homeland Security that can push through a visa application or a green card application, and she's got other undercover officers who can do it. Cut to Rollins and Caldoon quizzing each other on their fake relationship. What side of the bed do you sleep on? You spoon me? Blah blah blah. It's getting kind of flirty. We can see the spark or two flying between these two and then enter careesy awkward. He's not quite picking up on their sexual chemistry yet, but we are. And they sort of roll a plane interview and Coreasey seems like pissed off, like how cutesy they're acting. He's like, yeah, yeah, whatever, anyway, how'd you two meet? Like it's really funny to see him getting jealous over this undercover like role play scenario that they're doing. So now the interview sort of segues into the real interview. This fake interview turns into the real interview where they're talking to O'Toole's talking to cal Doon and then Rollins and you know, she's telling him what they like to eat and for Valentine's Day, they're going to stay home and order food from two different places, and he says that's romantic. I say, I could not live like that. I could not live with somebody where we had to constantly order from two different places because our food types were so different. Lisa, it doesn't bother me at all. I love ordering from multiple places, even if we can all eat the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's like that thing I enjoy. I love ordering sushi and pizza in one meal.
Speaker 1: To me, it's like we're double paying the delivery fee. I can't abide that.
Speaker 3: As a fiscally frugal Jew.
Speaker 2: I just can't leave the jew nous out of it because I'm a Jew and I love spending money. You're just a frugal girl on your own.
Speaker 1: Listen, Okay, I'm not saying all Jews are frugal. I'm saying I'm frugal Jew, like I just am, Like, why would we both order from two different restaurants. There's gonna be two different delivery fees, two different tips, two different service fees. All that shit.
Speaker 2: Well, because I also do it when we hang out as friends, like I've gotten from different places than you before, or I'm in the mood for this, I'll just get this who cares. We're adults. We all get to eat what we want. Yes, we all get to even we want.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying in a romantic relationship where you're like, you're ordering food together a lot, and I just don't think I could abide that. I I mean, I don't.
Speaker 2: Like when people don't eat seafood. That bothers me. So I get that, like if it but.
Speaker 1: Sure, if there's one thing and it's like one sei, Like we have a friend who's married to someone allergic to seafood, and so sometimes she'll just get seafood with us because she can't get it with him. Sure, I'm just saying, that's not a romantic Valentine's Day for me. Find something on the menu.
Speaker 2: No, for me, the worst part is dating someone that would abide by a religion.
Speaker 4: Like that's the problem.
Speaker 2: I'm like, we could get like you'll get Middle Eastern food, all, well, I love Middle Easter. There's really nothing I wouldn't get. This would have to be this future romantic person. But the food is the least problems I would have. Then you know, like he's probably doing Ramadan. That seems like more hard to deal with than like just ordering different things, and he doesn't drink. That's now that's a problem. That's harder, right, Like someone that just never ever drinks, like or from two different.
Speaker 3: Places is the least of this fake couple's worries.
Speaker 2: You're also like not boozing together, and you're also like, fully, is he praying five times a day?
Speaker 3: That's worse to me than a delivery fee.
Speaker 1: Listen, I've seen people be together where one's a drinker and one's not, and it seems to work out better food to me, seems like it would be a problem. But you know what, Lisa, that's part of what makes our friendship crackle is that we disagree. So listen, he points out, this guy points out that there's an economic disparity between Anda, Amanda's fake characters named Mandy and this guy's bake character's name is Fawad. So she's like, there's an economic disparity between you and Fawad. There's an age difference, and there's religious differences. These are all going to be red flags. So he's just kind of planting the seed with her, like there are red flags in your application, just so you know, And he's like, I might need to meet you one more time and don't tell Fawad so sket we know he's already taken the bait. I mean it's Rollin. She's hot, He's going to take the bait. He picks up Rollin's in the minivan. You can like see the pillows and the mattress in the back like it's sick. It's like cover that up with like a blanket or something. He wants her to ask her some intimate details like how often they have sex like these are these would automatically make me flee a call. I don't know why you'd even get in a minivan with a guy from your citizenship place, but obviously people feel they need to do what they have to do. And he's basically like, I have something you need, you have something I want. I want you to make love to me like you do to for wat. I want you to do it two or three times and then he can have his green card. And Rollins is going, are you saying I have to sleep with you? And o'tool goes I'm saying I deserve some loving too, again with the catchphrase. So then right after like this moment, the squad moves in they ARRESTO tool. So now top of Act three, we meet defense attorney John Buchanan. We don't meet, we're reunited with. We obviously see him all the fucking time. He's the worst, but he's a great actor. He's played by Delaney Williams. He's like the worst but the best. It's like you love him, but you hate him.
Speaker 2: Well, his Twitter bio is like, I'm the guy you love to hate exactly.
Speaker 1: He knows exactly, he knows, and he's great, We're gonna we gotta get him on this podcast. I love him. He's claiming his client's job is to uncover phony marriages and then he succeeded. This was a fake marriage, and they're like he's been extorting sex in exchange for green cards and she's and he's like, no, it was all a test. The mattress is just there to keep up the ruse. It's like, okay, what, I don't understand how anybody would believe this, And Cariese's kind of on our side. He's like, no, none of this is DHS protocol and jurors will not buy it, so they can't. Really they're feeling like their case is not strong enough with basically like just the undercover sting, like you don't have any of the actual victims that he has assaulted. You know, Two of them are afraid of their husband's finding out. The third is in iced attention and worried that her husband is going to get deported. So Carisey's like, take a run at them all again, rollins and kel do and go back to Rosamie. She's like, I can't break Eddie's heart. Eddie shows up and they pretend that they're investigating robberies or whatever. I mean, this sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just sucks like all the way and be like, oh, these guys can't find out. It's like if they're Maddie, don't you're gonna be mad if someone was assaulted.
Speaker 1: It's just so fucking annoying. It sucks that two of these victims are literally placing everything on the fact that their husbands are like fragile and can't feel cheated on and can't feel abused.
Speaker 4: You've got in the country.
Speaker 1: Yes, you've been fully like sexually assaulted and blackmailed.
Speaker 2: It's like those period machines where guys are like falling over and the women are like, I don't feel a thing.
Speaker 1: It's like I just saw a video of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's or just like that there was a male birth control but there were too many side effects, so they stopped working on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like, wait, but we have side effects.
Speaker 2: It's just it's crazy that these women are fully being abused. Everything's on their shoulders and they're like, my guy's too jealous.
Speaker 1: I can't let him know I was assaulted. It's right, or it's like it's honestly, it's like it's like cook culture. It's like I can't cook my husband like that, Like I can't let him be like a cook when like, are you kidding me? Like you are the victim here. It's just so fucked up. Anyway.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite Kara Klank jokes is not trusting men to take birth control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank thank you, that is one of my jokes. It's a great check out my album. Check out my album. It's got a good took about how man Handlebert would handle birth control.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Hannah. Let's see. Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's just like it's just fucked up. So now we go to the irishwoman Maggie, and they tell her, like, you were concerned about your husband getting deported, but now that O'Toole is under indictment. He's his hands are tied and he would not be able to touch your husband. So she's like, Okay, let's do it. I'll get this visa. I'll be able to stay here. Great though her testimony. What I was thinking is like her testimony is not as damning because he never had sex with her, like she rejected him, so he could always make up some other reason why she's getting deported. So I thought, I don't think she's necessarily the greatest witness. I think they definitely need to one or two of the other women, and she seems hesitant to let them talk to Patrick. So then we find out why Finn and Kat go to Patrick's place and he's got a little surprise guest, a shirtless little cutie right out of the shower, being like, is that the takeout babe? So it turns out that Patrick is gay, Maggie is gay. They are just Beard City for each other, and they are just both trying to get green cards. I don't really know why their marriage, why they need to be married to each other, yes, since they both need they both need green cards, So I don't really know where the logic is there that's a plot hole. Yeah, why would you need to pretend to be straight and marry each other? Are they giving green cards to people that are married more? I don't really know. If you know, please tell us. Benson is talking to Lena at some chucky cheese esque place and she's like, well, I'm glad that you arrested O'Toole, but my husband is like in full paranoia mode. He's text looking at my texts. He's constantly asking me if I'm cheating on him, like I'm stressed. He's following me. He's like, you know, I can't let him know about this, and Benson's like, Benson notices she has a welt on her face, and so we are getting the idea also that Lina's husband, Joe is bad, like he has hit her and he is controlling and abusive. Benson tells her we can get you a uvisa, which means you don't have to stay married to Joe, like a UV for a victim of a crime. You don't have to stay married to Joe. And then she's like, she seems torn, but she's ultimately like, I can't keep living like this and I'm just going to testify, So that seems like a way we've got Lena. So Rosamy's out, Maggie's Maggie Quigley's marriage was a sham, and uh, now we've got at least we've got Lena. And Hadid is apparently not Vanessa. Hadid, who we don't see in this episode, but she is referenced, is not backing down on this case. His lawyer suggested some kind of misconduct slap on the risk charge, and she was like, fuck that.
Speaker 2: Which is weird because Hadida is so like, yeah, in love with the establishment.
Speaker 1: Well she I think she's in love with like kind of closing things out, and like this could have just been closed out with this little stop on the risk. But I don't know. I guess in absentia they're trying to make her seem like she's more for the victims. So she wants a minimum of rape three, felony misconduct and receiving a bribe. Liv argues that threatening to return them to their countries where they face violence supports forcible pulsion, which is rape one. So Crisy argues, that's kind of a harder case to make. So they're really counting on Lena to be there, like make sure she shows up. And whenever they say make sure she shows up, that's an sview guarantee that they ain't gonna show up or something is going to go wrong. So they're now in court and Dwayne is testifying, saying that the women that O'Toole requested were young, attractive, diverse, and desperate. These are the women that he requested their files be pulled and they were all terrified of being deported. And he called it his baskin Robin's file one in every flavor. That's a very like nineteen nineties joke.
Speaker 7: But.
Speaker 4: I'll allow it.
Speaker 1: The judge is Judge Felicia Catano, who is played by Ada Torturo, who has appeared in a dozen svups as this character and is known for playing Janis Soprano. I've never watched the Sopranos, but that is her big role that she's known for. This judge U canon makes it seem like Dwayne is making up the story to save his own ass, because he brings up that the guy got busted for you know, cereal groping. So then Caldoon testifies, Rollins testifies basically, Buchanan's just being a piece of shit the whole time, and like trying to imply that O'Toole was really just trying to trick Rollins into cheating on her husband to prove that the marriage is a scam. Outside the courtroom, Lena shows up, so she does show up, but she will not show out. Lena tells Benson that she cannot testify that she just found out she's pregnant, and she's like, I'm praying the baby looks like Joe. My baby needs a father. If Joe thinks it's o'tools baby, she like doesn't know what he's going to do. So she's out, and you can kind of feel for her. I guess on that, like there's one thing to stay in the country and be able to live your life, but to support a child on your own when you have no support system and you can't go back to your home country. I can kind of see why she doesn't want to testify.
Speaker 4: But also I hope she leaves this husband.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do too, Yeah, I do doo, I do too, because.
Speaker 2: This is also showing like the desperation and fucked upness where it's like she's also stuck in this marriage. She probably doesn't really want to be in so she can stay here. It's not like she's living this awesome life she's dreamt of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, true. So Cariese asks for continuance, the judge gives him till nine am tomorrow, classic SVU time crunch. Buchanan goes and at that time, I'll be moving for a dismissal and the judge is like slower role, like I really love her. She doesn't really let Buchanan get away with shit, and Buchanan then says to Carisi should have taken the deal, Detective Careesi. And this is when you know that Cariese's gonna win because like there's just no way they're going to let him disrespect him like that, Like the episode's going to end, like you know, Caresee is going to come out on top. So Rollins and kel Doun are chatting and he's like, let's try Rosami Klin one more time, and kel Dune's like, I can talk to Eddie Jue to jew So it turns out he's Jewish on his mom's side, Muslim on his dad's side. They go to Rosami's apartment. She opens the door and there's it's kind of heartwarming, but it's also this like way too much scene where like Eddie and the daughter are at the piano like playing a song together, and it's like it's very cute, see and then Caldoon starts speaking Hebrew to Eddie and he's like, all right, let him in. And it's like, Eddie seems like a nice guy. I feel like he would have just let you in. But the Hebrew is what really also the opposite if someone.
Speaker 2: Came to my door speaking Russian, I would I would slam the door so fast in their face.
Speaker 3: That would be the opposite effect for me.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. That's really funny.
Speaker 2: Why it's suspicious? Get out of here. What are you trying to trick me with our commonalities?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, you're trying to relate to me. So I got my guard down so you can fuck with me? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So Rollins goes into like the Rollins is in the bedroom talking to Rosamie with her cute little daughter sitting on her lap. She's really sweet, and I would tell the daughter like, why don't you step outside while we talk about, like go read a little bit. I'll go play with a doll and instead, she's just like sitting on her lap, like staring at Rollins while Rollins is like, we need you to testify. And then cal Dune sits down with Eddie and Eddie kind of explains the backstory that he was a wedding pianist and Rosemye was a wedding caterer and they met and fell in love and she converted to Judaism and they have this beautiful baby. And then he starts telling this hypothetical story cal Doon about how you know a man and a woman have a beautiful life. But then and it's just this, it's this kind of this like silly storytelling thing where it's like, why can't you just fucking tell him what's up, like because we're trying to protect men's like fragile egos. But Eddie knews immediately.
Speaker 2: So like they kind of trick us with like the Lena's husband being a shithead and Roseamy being so scared about her husband's reactions, we kind of expect him to also be a jerk. Like the whole episode, I'm hating this guy. I'm like, fuck this guy, and he's actually he's a guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a wedding pianist, so like, yeah, they're there. He seems sweet, and it feels like he had to go through all this like a storytelling to get to it, but he could have just said, like, look, this is this is the situation and Eddie knows immediately he goes does this story involve O'Toole, And then we cut to court and Cariese says he plans to call Maggie quickly. I don't understand why, because she's completely not credible now that she was faking her. If I was Buchanan, you'd be like, you're the reason you're at iced attention is because you lied about being in this marriage again, why is she marrying another person without a green card to get a green card? We found a hole. But then he says, and I plan to call Rosami Klein. And on that note, Roseamy walks in the doors like a champion. Rollin's is whether it's like it looks really it's just really like she's this slight little woman with like big glasses and she's there like fuck you dog, like I'm here to put you away, and you can see O'Toole's face just kind of like melts, and like he kind of knows he's got God, and Caresey says, o'tool's gonna fold, and Olivia goes make it hurt, all right, Benson. And then the next morning, if you can in an, o'tool show up at Crisy's office and Caresee's like, I'm gonna bump the charges up. And then O'Toole really reveals himself to not only be a rapist, but to be a full racist. He's like, I'm on the front lines of a foreign invasion. I'm protecting our borders. He's like essentially a proud boy, like he's even grosser than we thought he was before. It's like you took a night to sleep on it, and you decided to come to the DA and tell him how actually horrible you are. Great strategy, so we get we actually get a really great monologue from Caresey here, like he has a really good chunk of dialogue here that is really really great. And then at the end he's just like, they came here hoping for the American dream and you made their lives a nightmare. So it's a very New York accent heavy monologue. And I'm liking Caresey in this monologue. So eventually O'Toole takes the deal. He gets rap three three counts for each victim, and he's going to prison for fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, I wonder what happened to Dwayne.
Speaker 1: I hope Dwayne got something. Because subway gropers can just literally fuck off. They're disgusting.
Speaker 2: Well that's the big issue. When people are like, oh, it's not that big of a dealer. There needs to be levels, or there's a gray area, or come on, why are you complaining, It's like because they're creeps and they want to do it all the time. They know they're going to get away with it, and that's what makes them want to keep doing it, you know what I mean, Like every little thing, every lower back touch matters. Yeah, and if you think that they're going to be they're going to settle for a lower back touch, No, they're going to move on to a denim grinding. Then they're going to move on to a fucking fully like groping someone in an alley.
Speaker 1: Like it's only going to escalate for a lot of these guys, you know. Anyway, Careese is like in the station telling Benson everything, and he gives Rolins like full credit for getting Rosamy to testify see this.
Speaker 4: Makes sympathetic again.
Speaker 2: You know, we're like, fuck, yeah, great monologue, careesy, sexy, sexy. And then it's like, ah, Rob, I don't know why. It's like, oh, come on, she doesn't like you.
Speaker 1: Like, come on, yeah, bro. He basically is trying to give Rowlands all the credit, and Benson is like, actually, cal Doone is the one that got the husband to understand by speaking Hebrew, and he's like he's just hates the praise that people are giving cal Doon and he's mad about it. And then Chrisy goes where is Rollins And Benson's like, fuck if I know, I'm busy, And then they cut to Caldun and Rollin's on a little date together at Rosmy's FA restaurant that they were at to originally to find her. They tell her basically, O'Toole's going to prison. He's going to jail for fifteen years. I mean he's absolutely going to be in the Arian nation there right, Like that's he's going to have full Hitler tattoos in like ten minutes, and Roseamy says that her and Eddie talked for a really long time. He's so sad what I had to go through, Like everything's better now, better than before. We have no more secrets, and I kind of love SVU making marriages stronger. It's nice. And then touched by her words, Rollin touches Caldoon's hand and you can kind of see that these two are really hot for each other.
Speaker 2: And then Dick Wolf, I know, but then we never see the romance agat, like even in currency there's like maybe flirting, but it's like they have hands.
Speaker 4: Where's this going?
Speaker 1: He just came back in an episode this season where he brought her cough this current season that's on television right now, or season twenty two that just ended actually, and you can still see the flirtation there. But yeah, we don't see all games. Slow game. Yeah, they'll decide whether they're going to bring that guy back for a lot more, whether they're going to like give everybody the release see love that they want. But anyway, let's take a quick break and then I'm excited for you to tell me. I mean excited. I'm interested for you to tell me about the horrible people who do these crimes in real life.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back and we're gonna talk about the cases that inspired this episode.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of them.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to give background on ICE immigration and customs enforcement, and that was only formed March first, two thousand and three, and it was like a reactionary thing to nine to eleven. And I just don't want anyone to be confused that it is not.
Speaker 4: ICE does not patrol American borders.
Speaker 2: That is done by United States Border Patrol and US Customs and Border Protections.
Speaker 1: They're like sister agencies.
Speaker 2: But ICE is a completely separate thing because the border patrol people have obviously a lot of bad things and sexual abuse and child human trafficking and a lot of things happening. In so many articles and other sview episodes based on horrific things happening at the border, but these are separate horrific things. So just one to give that background. And before we get into it, ICE sucks. I want ICE shut down. And it's one of those things where when people are like, oh, but it's always been here, it hasn't, you know what I mean? If Ice was a human, it couldn't get into a bar. Okay, this idea that we like give you know, oh, but it's part of our thing and it's like, nah, I wasn't and we should see a system outside of it, and say when we think about like police where it's like we just because it's been here, we see it, like we can't have a world without it and we have to expand our brains.
Speaker 1: So just a.
Speaker 4: Little minister session right there.
Speaker 2: But okay, So also with researching this, it was like so hard to find anything past the initial charges, and like, I think it's because these people were within Ice that it's like controlled as fuck and they're not give It's like if something happened in the army.
Speaker 1: You know, like yeah, I was even trying to find photos of them for like our social media little posters that we do, and like there's nothing, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: There's another. So there's two guys. So it's based on two cases. One is John Jacob's Olivas and then the next one is Wilfredo Rodriguez. And there is another Wilfredo Rodriguez who did steal a car and I found his photo but different, different, different, But yeah, it was like really hard to find anything, and I think it's just because it's the government and they want to keep all of this under wraps. So the John Jacobs Alivas case and twenty eighteen, he sexually assaulted two women and told them both that the police wouldn't do anything about it because he's a special agent at ICE. So one woman was assaulted in January twenty twelve, and then the next woman was assaulted in September and November of that year. He pleaded not guilty to three counts of deprivation of rights under color of law.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: I think it's like, you know, if like your corrections officer, and you're raping an inmate, It's like.
Speaker 1: It's like using your position, using your position, like.
Speaker 2: It's no matter what if someone's incarcerated under your control or in trouble, or you're a governmental agency, like it's automatically assault because you have full control over them. And he is a current inmate at Chuckawalla Valley State Prison in California. Okay, so he got some jail time, I guess, but I'm also scared, Like it's an official like the things I was googling, But this was like a corrections org where you try to find inmates and then there's a phone number where you could set up a time to visit them.
Speaker 4: So it's that kind of a website.
Speaker 2: So it's just the minimal information, like I just know that he is in prison, but nothing else. And then a part of me is scared that it's a totally different guy that I just found in jail. So I don't know, Like it was, there was not a lot, and like what I found was the article. All the articles kept saying the same thing over and over and over again. It's like they had a press release and that was that. Like there was no digging around in any way.
Speaker 4: So that's that.
Speaker 2: And then the next case is will Fredo Rodriguez. And so this happened to a woman who was living in Connecticut, and we'll call her Jane Doe. Her name has not been released, and she first met this ICE agent in two thousand and six. So she's Honduran and her brother was arrested for entering the US illegally, and once he found out that she too was undocumented, he made her become an like an informant to help the Immigration agency if she wanted to avoid deportation, and she did it obviously, And so while being an informant, she helped the agency locate criminals by pointing them to different people, and she pointed to three men living in the US illegally who had stabbed her husband.
Speaker 4: So, even though it like sucks she's an informant.
Speaker 2: I wonder if a piece of her was like, I get to fuck over these guys who stabbed my husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't. I mean, this sounds like a movie. Okay, go on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A year later, he told her to go to a motel to like locate someone for her informant position, but instead he sexually assaulted her in the motel. When she rejected his advance, he threw her on the bed, covered her mouth, put his gun next to her, and said if she opened her mouth, he would shoot her. And then he raped her and he would call himself the Wolf. That's just a fact that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so fucking cool, dude.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's where the slogan came from, like having I don't know for the episode.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's a stretch. Yeah, instead of him, they knew that this guy with the Irish face could not pull off like call me the wolf, so he said they had him say I deserve some love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So then he raped hers often is four times a week for seven years.
Speaker 1: Oh my God stop it. Yeah, a long ass time.
Speaker 2: These assaults resulted in three pregnancies and three abortions, and this buck had only paid for one of the abortions.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this poor woman.
Speaker 2: She attempted suicide four times. Oh. And her lawyer, George Kramer, he made a comment that was like that his client only had one choice to cooperate with ICE or be deported with her whole family.
Speaker 1: So it's like she didn't really have a choice. So that sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just like pretty fucked up that ICE can wield total control over the ability to remain in the US. They're like very powerful, and seems like no one good controls it and they can just.
Speaker 1: Do whatever they want. It also seems very like DISORGANI like, no one's really like, hey, I'm here for the wrong reason. Like there's just a lot of like translation problems, and like somebody like this man could just like abuse the system and send her back into the ICE like deportation system without her really ever being able to be like, but actually, my PaperWorks in order, and I'm on my way to have this done, you know, like because it seems so disorganized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a friend who's old friend from her past married someone who works at ICE, and they stopped talking to them or going to their house. Like to me, it's like being part of the GESTAPA, Like you're not a good person if you join ICE, and I'm sorry. So it's like it's just a suspicious organization. Like if I was at a bar and someone's like, oh, yeah, I work at ICE, I'd be like bye, Like I would not keep engaging, Like I just don't feel like great people want to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: In twenty fourteen, she was working her construction job and she received a call from him wanting sex and demanding sex, and it stressed her out so much she fell off of her ladder and got injured, and she's.
Speaker 1: Had surgeries after that.
Speaker 2: And she thought that would stop him, but it didn't, and he kept threatening her and her family. Her dad was in the process of getting asylum, and so another agent approached her about her father's application, just you know, run of the mill type of work, and she opened up to them and was like, listen this everything, this has happened like and told this agent everything, and the agent suggested.
Speaker 1: She consult an attorney. So this was an inside job.
Speaker 2: This is kind of how like the AT and T guy that came to my house told me to get Spectrum. It's like, okay, so, but I'm you know, I'm grateful that this agent actually was helpful towards her, because he could have probably done the opposite. This went to civil court, but nothing criminal has happened yet. She sued the US Department of Homeland Security, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and former ICE agent Rodriguez, seeking ten million dollars in damages.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what happened, and that's that there's just nothing about what happened.
Speaker 2: No, if I found it, I definitely would tell you. I don't think i'd keep secrets from everybody.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, like, that's really wild that there's no follow up on That makes me wonder because that's public record.
Speaker 3: Our civil cases public record, though.
Speaker 2: I think so, because I know, like sometimes if you sign an agreement or make a deal like you can't talk about or something, lawsuits are filed in civil courts, and the documents filed in these civil cases are presumed to be open.
Speaker 1: To the public. I think you can also have a I think there can be an adjudication that is sealed, like for like an aunt amount. Probably they settled for an undisclosed amount or whatever. But I think the fact that they're still in process or whatever, it's so wild. This makes me feel like it's like full conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm like ongo, it's like everything is purple, purple, purple, and nothing is fucking It's always like she's seeking this much in damages and.
Speaker 1: Those articles are from I mean twenty nineteen. Yeah, I mean, I guess it's possible that her lawsuit was held up by COVID as well, but hopefully we find out soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I hope she gets the money. I hope this guy goes to jail.
Speaker 1: And I don't get why there's no criminal charges either, because it's not like the statute of limitations is up. If he was raping her for seven years, that means the most recent rapes were like in the twenty you know, twenty fifteen was right.
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole thing, well, not him, but like the other guy was like nothing's gonna happen, No CoP's gonna investigate, and no one gives a shit, And it's like it is true that girl was like raped by an army base and left there like nothing happens, And there's been SVU episodes about it. Like when you're within the government and these big government agencies, I get billions of dollars, like they don't actually have to do anything. It's scary being assaulted in the military or ice or like if you're someone not as powerful, it seems really difficult to get things going or moving. I mean, even for regular people that have been sexually assaulted, going to the police doesn't always do something right.
Speaker 1: I mean, and then there's police officers that are doing it like that. Yeah, fucking disgusting rapist cops that do.
Speaker 2: That, you know, Yeah, and so many. I mean that's why people don't report their sexual abuses often because they don't end up going to court. These people don't get up getting convicted. They're protected by all this mumbo jumbo and it's fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just it's some there's something just so much more disgusting about like assaulting something. I mean, assault is assault is assault. It's obviously all horrible, but like just when you're doing it to somebody repeatedly because they have no way out, like you're abusing your power. It's just like an extra layer of horrificness.
Speaker 2: And this view always says, spanning all the seasons, like the predators know how to pick their victims.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well exactly what the guy did in this like he wasn't picking, like he wasn't picking people that had like a really strong case for their green card or people that were you know, I mean it's almost surprising that they use the Irish story because the Irish story wouldn't have worked out. And oh no it was Belfast. It was like they made it seem like he couldn't go back to Belfast because maybe there was political stuff going on there, because Northern Ireland has some political stuff going on.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like, oh no, I'm going to get deported back to Italy or you know whatever. Like it's it was more people that were you could be killed if you go home, you know, like something horrible away to you if you're deported, so so fucked up.
Speaker 2: It is fucked up. So these are the two cases that this episode is based on. But I think we both know this probably happens all the time all over the world everywhere constantly, and people abusing their authority is not even abusing their power and praying on the desperate.
Speaker 1: And it sucks because.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's so many way like the bravery of this woman to even take him to court or anything like, I'm sure there's people like in this episode that don't want to talk and don't want to tell anyone because they don't trust the system, and why.
Speaker 1: Would they, right, But it's really really like concerning to me that you were unable to find so much information because this clearly this stuff gets just like the press can't get into these organizations. I feel like no.
Speaker 2: And it was the same soundbites over and over in every single article. It wasn't like there was like deep investigative reporting on one or the other.
Speaker 4: Like it was the same information everywhere.
Speaker 1: And it's probably very like these are too bad apples. These are just two bad guys we had at ICE. Everyone else at ICE is great the same way that we hear about you know, police and other institutions all the time.
Speaker 2: And if anyone does have more information or knows how these cases ended or anything like that, please reach out to us and let us know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then stick around because we have a very fun interview when we get back. Okay, time for our guest. We were very excited to talk to this person. She is a regular performer in the New York comedy scene. Oh my God us too. Formerly, she can be seen in Netflix's Dash and Lily, and SVU was one of her first major roles. We had such a great time talking to her. Guys, check out our interview with Lee Hubilia.
Speaker 2: So we'll start from the beginning. We're assuming you auditioned at Chelsea Peer's.
Speaker 3: Of course classic.
Speaker 1: How did that go? Like what was the for you? So excited when you got the sides? Like tell us about the audition process.
Speaker 7: I believe, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 8: I auditioned for for SPU before, but I've auditioned for Jonathan Strauss before, so I'd been to like the iconic Chelsea Piers like a few times. I definitely took lots of pictures when I first got there, like all like the movie photos in the hallway of like I don't know, gone with the Wind and like that was a very excited.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't know, if I can.
Speaker 3: Curse, you can swear, say whatever you want.
Speaker 8: Perfect that's when I really shine. So I you know, It was really funny because I'd been there a couple of times and like hadn't booked anything, and so I was kind of just like, I mean, iconic, it would be auditioning for.
Speaker 3: Rescue because I have watched a lot of SPO in my life. Oh great, So I was really excited and I was excited about the role.
Speaker 8: But it wasn't like she wasn't specifically Filipino, and I just like felt like, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Her name wasn't Filipino. She worked at like a Thai restaurant.
Speaker 8: I was like, I don't know, I'm just gonna I only actually said an Asian act.
Speaker 3: I was the only one I could do was Filipino.
Speaker 7: So we're just gonna go with that. You know.
Speaker 1: Is the accent?
Speaker 2: How maybe your parents or family are like how do you develop that? Because I'm Russian and I cannot do a Russian accent and it makes me so embarrassed and I get so shy and weird, and so how did you come up with the accent?
Speaker 8: Okay, actually iconic that this my biggest TV role is a Filipino accent and I have never done one.
Speaker 3: My parents don't really have one, I know, shook.
Speaker 8: I called my cousin and my friend to help make sure what I was doing was like right, you know, and it's.
Speaker 7: Just you know, my parents.
Speaker 8: They have an accent, but it's not super strong, you know, and they spoke on the English to me and my brother growing up as the whole point is to get rid of your accent, right, So.
Speaker 3: Just really, you know, phoned it in. I feel like, but it was.
Speaker 8: It's just so funny that, like, you know that that I don't normally, you know, I don't have an accent.
Speaker 3: I don't normally do.
Speaker 8: Things with an accent, but you know, we just pulled it out. The hat for this one seems to work out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was the hair and makeup department?
Speaker 1: Because like people can't see you right now, but like they should google you and like your headshots, like you have this like long flowing hair. You're so pretty and not that Rosamy isn't pretty, but she's very like librarian and like Meek, it's just not really like your look that you have in real life. So I feel like hair and makeup wents to town on you, making you this like little dork.
Speaker 8: Yeah, wow, love that dork.
Speaker 3: That's really cute.
Speaker 1: I have to.
Speaker 7: When I auditioned, I was like this, you know, I just had hair. I mean, you know, like no makeup.
Speaker 3: I just yeah, my hair out, just T shirt.
Speaker 8: Honestly, we really were just like we're going to show up, just very chill. And then I got to my fittings and I was just like, we put on some clothes, you know, and like they're you know, the clothes are like you They're like blouses and like pants.
Speaker 3: She's a hostess.
Speaker 8: She wears a modest heel, okay, cute, and then the props guy comes.
Speaker 7: Over with these glasses the shoes show and I'm just like what.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm getting you in glasses. I was like, I'm so what not like not like I wear glasses all the time in real life. I was just like shocked. I was like, have you ever even seen me glasses? And then like.
Speaker 5: We like specifically, like they specifically had to choose the glasses that were like, you know, like Costco glasses. Like I was like, well, I would wear weeks and they were kind of like a clear like a big frame, and they're like yeah, okay, well actually Rosemy is kind.
Speaker 1: Of a little too hip for Rosami.
Speaker 8: A little too hip and then like the hairdo It was also funny because I just don't wear my hair like that. But it's afterwards I started calling it like the Rosamy classic because I'd be like, this is just the tendrils.
Speaker 3: In the front, like the prom moment.
Speaker 8: And like it was really like it was really funny and fun to like because it really like really transformed me into this like different person and it really helped.
Speaker 7: And you know, you trust them. They know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how is it working with like a little kid?
Speaker 7: Oh my god?
Speaker 8: Your daughter so sweet? Really shook because I looked at her. I was like, that could be my kid.
Speaker 1: I kind of like, oh my god, like where and.
Speaker 8: Then her mom was there, so I was a little like, hey, if I borrow this for a second.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna put her on my lap. That's cool, right, But she was so sweet.
Speaker 8: I mean, I, you know, I have taught and like do sometimes teach kids, so like I.
Speaker 7: And I, you know, I nanny it a little bit.
Speaker 8: I babysat so you know, I've read, you know, I've done that, like reading the same book over and over again, and like so there's a lot of that.
Speaker 7: Just like you know, just treating.
Speaker 8: It just felt like I was hanging out with like a really cute, sweet kid and we were like reading this book in between takes just to sort of like you know, I was like yeah, because I mean like she's sitting in a stranger's laugh with all these people. I mean she's very chill and like really professional. But I was like I would feel weird just all these strangers here. So it was it was fun, it was cute.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: But we had to take pictures also, like for the.
Speaker 7: Frames in the apartment, like just like you know, wow, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know that. I always assume that they just kind of like ask you for photos of you when you're young, like, hey, can you bring a few photos of you? But I guess you probably have to have some of you and the kid. Oh yeah.
Speaker 8: There was a whole separate day that was like we took our like our wedding photo, you know that was a very good hall wedding where they gave me like ring lits and like glasses still there of course, but like ring lits, and they had a picture of me and I think it's like if you look at the piano, that's like where the frames. Yeah, because you know, he references his me during his scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So any like tidbits of working with the regulars, Marishka, Iced Tea give us all that SVUT that we want.
Speaker 7: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: Well it's so funny because like the really like big scene with everybody at the courtroom scene right where like I'm brought in and it's like done.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, everything stopped.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well that was like the very first thing we shot. So it was like, you know, I'm just like my first day.
Speaker 8: It was like bring me scared into the room, which she felt appropriate because I mean it's like the SVU court room, you know, it's just like holy shit. And then like you know, Mariska Marshka is like standing is there for most of it, and then she like you know, like flyer in at the last second.
Speaker 7: I'm just like, oh my god, she's here.
Speaker 8: And then I was like it's just it was really I didn't have any scenes with Marishka, but it was really funny to see her like walking around like the office, like you know, I had to go back in for ad R. Like Iced Tea was there when I was doing my ADR, and it was very much like, oh, we're gonna you're gonna come in and you're gonna dor dr but I think Ice is coming, so then you're just gonna have to leave and then come back. And I was like gladly, yes, yeah, let no seat in here, do his thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Everyone's very chill and very nice and and Kelly was also all all my scenes with Kelly and actually someone uh who was just wasn't wasn't a regular Yeah yeah yeah, from the band's visit, I forgot the.
Speaker 1: Same supposed to be.
Speaker 8: Honestly like having like, you know, Kelly is like a series regular, but like they were all like very like chilly chill about it, you know, they weren't like I don't know, so it made me have to feel chill even know like I wasn't. But I just be like sure cool, which rehearse, do my lines whatever, No big deal, just another just another day and like the longest running TV show in history, and likely this is.
Speaker 3: I'm never gonna be able to top this, Like my family was like, this is it for me. I reached like the pinnacle.
Speaker 8: I could win an oscar and it's not going to be being on it too.
Speaker 1: So this episode actually aired right. But speaking of it being like, you know, a big moment for you, Like it aired right before the pandemic, so you could still see people. Did you watch it with your friends? Like how did you watch that episode?
Speaker 8: I actually was very cautious about who I was going to watch it with because it was my first Like really, I mean I've had like other things that but they all aired after SVS SVA. That the the biggest turnaround, so I didn't know.
Speaker 3: It was almost like am I gonna hate it? I don't you know the accent. I was like so nervous.
Speaker 8: I definitely was like I don't want to watch it with a lot of like I have like cousins and aunts and stuff that, you know. I was like I don't want to watch it with like a whole big group, which is like would be a typical filipado style.
Speaker 7: But I was like, I think I'm just going to watch with my mom, like very low key.
Speaker 3: In Queens And yeah it was. It was really, you know, it was very chill.
Speaker 8: I like really wanted it to be like not a big thing because I was like nervous about it. But then I was like, actually like very happy about it. It was really cool to see that's awesome.
Speaker 3: What'd you guys eat while you watched it?
Speaker 8: Well, I used to live in Queens. I used to live in Sunnyside. My mom now lives in Sunnyside because she's gotta be me. And there's just like there's this I don't know why this is now like a recommendation, but there's like this place called Mister Chicken and Queens and has like the best chicken noodle soup and it comes with corn bread.
Speaker 3: It's delicious.
Speaker 8: It's like when I lived there, it was like my comfort, like seamless order. Having a bad moment, need chicken soup physically or just like emotionally.
Speaker 3: So like that, I like had the whole thing.
Speaker 7: I was like, we're going to go to my mom, so it's just gonna be me, my mom, my boyfriend. I'm gonna order chicken noodle soup.
Speaker 8: We're gonna watch it, and that's gonna be the whole Like I had a very like ceremonial thing set up.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: This is really exciting that you're also a fan of the show, So curious if you have any favorite episodes, guest stars, or anything like as.
Speaker 1: A watcher that you that we like to say haunts you, like any Yeah, what's the episode that haunts you? Yeah, pretty much every single one so you can't go wrong, or like.
Speaker 2: Which detective he thinks the hottest? What da you want to comment on, you know whatever? As a viewer, you'd like to share.
Speaker 7: Episode that hants you know what's interesting.
Speaker 8: I was like on a plane recently and they were there was an SVU marathon going. This is after I was on the show, and I was like, oh great, you know it's every time the show comes on, you're like, you know it's going to be good and you can just watch it.
Speaker 3: It was this episode.
Speaker 7: I don't remember the name of it. It was.
Speaker 8: It must have been pretty recent, but the storyline was it was like this trans kid I think maybe they were in high school, was bullied and like pushed off like a bridge or something.
Speaker 1: It was. It's literally called transgender Bridge. Is the name of the episode. Really, you could have guessed it if you spent Yeah, you thought about it for two seconds. It's not the best named episode, I don't think, but I know.
Speaker 8: What you're talking about. It cannot believe it's wow. They're just like two things towards put them together. But that episode like really like stuck with me and like messing it because like then you know, the kid that was bullied, the kid that did he's part of a group that was bullying this transgender kid, but he's also like a young black boy, and you see his mom is just like I can't have him, you know.
Speaker 7: And so you're seeing this just like these two.
Speaker 8: Just like uh families that are like absolutely being like and then the kid in the hospital like says that you know, she forgives the kid that was bullying. Yeah, and then there's but then the kid spoilers I don't know doing that. But then the the whole turn of it is that like and after you and after giving forgiveness, the kid in the hospital ends up dying. And then as just like as precedents they have to send this other kid to jail and try him as an adult, and so like his life is ruined and his mom was absolutely like beside herself by that, and I was just it was so I was like this episode, you know, there's like no good and I was like there's SVU and it's like finest and it really shows you like just like the nuanced like how sometimes you just like is no happy ending for anyone?
Speaker 4: And what are are you auditioning now?
Speaker 2: What are your I don't know, dream jobs, goals, wishes, projects.
Speaker 1: That you're working on on your by yourself? You know, yeah, I have.
Speaker 7: To Wow, it's that whole therapy session talking about what are my wants?
Speaker 8: And I you know, yeah, I've been auditioning in the weird way that people do in pandemic, which is just at home. Yeah, but like honestly kind of love that because I don't have to dress up what chooes on. I do some writing on my own. I have a writing partner and we're working on some television shows that we're like applying to some labs and things like that. I just got some good news one of those projects.
Speaker 3: But great.
Speaker 8: I don't know when this will air and when the Trades article will come out, but like we're excited about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm excited that we'll get to see you post.
Speaker 1: This in the paper. Yeah, I know what's up. I know. Well, when we were like googling you and stuff, we saw that you like have done like comedy stuff in you in New York. Right, we've dog because we're comedians from what we met in New York. We both live in La now, but I saw you do stuff at the pit, and like I used to perform at the Pit all the time.
Speaker 3: We got rip the pit. I know, R I P the pit, R I P U C B. I mean they're all I know.
Speaker 8: I mean, Magnet is only one sitting and actually the Magnet is where I got most of my training and start.
Speaker 1: I did take an Armando Diaz class at the Magnet one time.
Speaker 3: Because everyone was like, you have to take a class with Armando.
Speaker 8: Armando is such a I feel like he's a cartoon character.
Speaker 3: He's so funny.
Speaker 8: I took a sketch. I took sketch with him. He's a funny character.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, thank you for taking the time to talk to us. I think that's all we really wanted to ask you about. I don't know if you have any if you have more school last minute like run in where you bumped into iced tea or something.
Speaker 3: No, I will say.
Speaker 7: Kelly Giddish has a very cute dog.
Speaker 3: I'm not Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yes, fan accounts that have told us about the dog because the dog is in the show all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean this dog.
Speaker 8: I mean when I this dog was just like this set was its home. I don't know if I think it's a book. I'm not sure the name of the dog, but this this dog about a puppy, very big, just like was going to crafty walking around like completely unattended.
Speaker 3: So I was walking around.
Speaker 8: Like there is a dog fully on the loose, and then we sit down like you know, to do like the first rehearsal in the court room, and then like Kelly's there and then the dog just like on its own, just like comes up to her and then like I'm like, oh, it's her dog, and then it like leaves on its own and then it's just like fully you know, autonous.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a fun guess. She was really so sweet and cool and I wish you guys could have seen her in person. Gorgeous hair and person. The only thing that's confusing is the chicken soup.
Speaker 2: That's not a party food, Lee, come on, get a pizza and some savice. Now chicken cornbread is very cute.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: She was amazing. I love hearing everything. Loved this episode. Hate people taking advantage of the vulnerable communities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for our post mortem, what we learned in this episode. Hannah, you literally are producer. Hannah, you are literally going through the green card process right now. Tell me about how you have been systematically abused.
Speaker 6: No, the timing of this episode is crazy because the day we were editing this episode was the day my husband and I went in for his green card interview, and so the timing was wild. We had a lovely woman named Cecila. We passed, he got approved. What's the craziest question? Were there any crazy questions? We were prepped with four pages of questions. I know his favorite color, I know his father's occupation, I know everything about him. Now, I didn't need pretty much any of it. I came so prepared with papers. I made a fifty page document proving our relationship, with photos and captions and dates.
Speaker 1: Of where we were.
Speaker 6: We brought our phone plan, you know, if you have all the paperwork. Also, he's Canadian, like, he's not coming from a country that the United States has any questions about. We're also white. It was a very easy process for us compared to probably lots.
Speaker 1: Of other people. Yeah, he's not fleeing a persecution. He's not fleeing persecution in his homeland. Yes, but you think you'd be nicer to the persecuted, yes, but they're easier to take advantage of. Yeah, that was what we learned. That's what we learned in this episode. Oh, it's so frustrating, but Hannah, we're glad you passed. Thank you and you know, hots off to men. We got to have a green card party. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we celebrated with veggie burgers and fries and everyone's like, what are you gonna do to celebrate and we're like, sit, we're just thrilled.
Speaker 1: We don't want to do anything. We just want to live. When I'm Afrihanna was done laminating a fifty page book. I'm sure she just needs a rest. This is why she's our producer everybody, because she's detail oriented.
Speaker 2: And if you want to keep on this theme, there's a great Simpsons episode about a poo becoming a citizen. It's called much to a Poo about Nothing, and I think I think that's what that one's called. But it's him becoming a citizen and Homer being his teacher, and it's really one of my favorite episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what we learned this week was Lisa and I very much differ on whether people are allowed to order from different restaurants. I'm okay with it once in a while, but Lisa says it's a fine. It's a fine everyday occurrence. I just can't handle double delivery fees.
Speaker 4: For me, I had to. I love spending money.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like my self destructive thing, like I just love.
Speaker 1: Your in or saboteur has a credit card, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna say I had to take like an oath and become a citizen.
Speaker 4: I had a green card when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: But I like threw in a face, like use the name you want to use, is what I'm saying. I gave myself a middle name that I didn't need, and so now I have this like middle.
Speaker 1: Name on my own.
Speaker 4: It well, in Russia, it's like your.
Speaker 2: Dad's name feminized, you know, like you probably know that from literature and stuff. So it's Simonovna. But it's like, like Russia doesn't actually have middle names. It's a very American thing, I think, And so I was like, no, I will be Yida Zavieta Simyonovna, and now I have to add it everywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how to spell it. And it's like.
Speaker 4: I was in junior high and I.
Speaker 2: Should I was just jealous of everyone's middle names and I should have just left it off my paperwork. So if you do go do paperwork, pick the name you want.
Speaker 1: And make it short. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, if you have a dirty mattress in the back of your van, it's going to be to get out of the case.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, you're going to be found guilty.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If it's a clean mattress, maybe, but if it's a dirty, used mattress, not going to happen. Also, do not be with men that are going to be mad at you if you get sexually assaulted.
Speaker 4: That's not a man for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you're scared to tell your.
Speaker 2: Partner about something horrible happened to you because they might get mad or jealous because you got attacked or think that you're like dirty or not clean, that is fucked up.
Speaker 1: And do not be with that person if you have the option not to be. Yeah. Also, we learned that something weird is going on with the green card system because Irish people are both just coming here and then getting married, but they're gay. Like, I mean, no one was getting a green card in that situation. So I'm confused about it. But if you I know, we have an immigration attorney in our listeners, So somebody write me and tell me why two people from Ireland were both trying to get a green card from being married to each other.
Speaker 2: We definitely have Irish listeners since we were in an Irish magazine.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yes, I still have a copy of that to give you because my good friend Brita shout out to Brita in Ireland sent me seven copies of that magazine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also Rollins, she'd be flirtin' Rollins is out there touching hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean now hopefully by now he'sa maybe you've seen the Rollins in the releasy moment. No, still not, but I think that that guy probably was watching and was like fuck, there goes my recurring like he's maybe he'll be back, but he's not going to be back as the romantic interest of Rollins.
Speaker 2: Also, I say this often, but everything counts. So every groper, everything is fucked up, and you need to punt like they need to be persecuted. You can't just be like, oh, whatever, he just touched me. No.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you feel safe enough and somebody grubs up on you on the subway or a crowded bus or something, and you feel like you're safe. They don't. They don't have a weapon, and like there's a lot of people around. Make a scene. Make a scene. Scream at that motherfucker. Yeah, make them embarrassed. I've had several denim cocks shoved up against my back and I wish I had said more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say more if you can, and if there's people around you, and if you see something true, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, if you see something, say something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: New York real MTA really killed it with that one that took over. They came up with that right, or maybe it was nine I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, Bubbly a firm or something. They probably hired some I don't know. It's like about bombs, but I think it covers a lot of things. You know. I did major in advertising for a semester. So well, I love that. I love that well. I mean when you came up with the name for our live show that game was like Marishka makes me hard and gay or something like that. I was impressed with myself. Yeah, I was impressed too. I thought maybe you found it on the internet.
Speaker 2: No, no, that was in my brain. I'm not a plagiarizer.
Speaker 1: Somebody a message just to saying that would be a good drag name Mariska Harden Gay.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it would. You need to find a baby drag queen and give her a name.
Speaker 6: Guys, there's a cool New York Times article about who invented see Something, Say Something. It's a man, Allan Ka who invented it September, set it for September twelfth, two thousand and one, and then the MTA started using it.
Speaker 1: But there's an article in the New York Times all about the history of it.
Speaker 4: Oh well wait, so literally the day after nine to.
Speaker 6: Eleven, day after he said it, and then it was picked up and used.
Speaker 1: Yeah, send me the link, we'll post it in our stories.
Speaker 2: I can't believe he had a slogan the day after nine eleven. Wasn't even grieving that hard. I mean, to come to be creative the next day at work, that's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be pumping out hashtag content. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's also like I understand, like if someone leaves a purse or a luggage and you're like, Okay, that's weird, what's in there? But it's like fresh from nine to eleven. It's like we saw the plane, you know, like you can't blame citizens for that.
Speaker 1: Like, right, I think I'm seeing a plane crash into a building. Who do I tell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not really how it. Yeah, listen nine to eleven sucked. Yeah, and see something say something became Hey there's a brown person and I feel safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it became the next door app. Yeah, verse, there's a package. I mean the next door app. Oh god, the next door app is wild. I cannot wait for it. Well, I will say for the July will have just happened when you guys hear this episode, and my next door app will be flooded with people being like my dog, please don't let off fireworks. And it's like you gotta take your dog and get out of town because there.
Speaker 2: Are you gentrify a neighborhood. You follow that neighborhood's rules. Okay, go fuck yourself. My neighborhood is pro fireworks. I've been trying to get Rosie prepped. I'm like fireworks like in Daniel Tiger. She keeps calling it of July. I don't think she hears me saying fourth, so she keeps being like of July of July, there was funny roy Wood Junior's son is very very cute, and he posts to videos like days after fourth of July, I'm going to the window being like boom boom, and he's like, it's done, it's done, there's no more and he wanted more fireworks.
Speaker 4: Yes, someone would saying yes, sure, or was it with your friends?
Speaker 1: Actually?
Speaker 2: But on the next door app that someone was like, I saw a brown person and they were suspicious, why are they parked at the end of my block? And it was the landscaper doing work and had been working there forever and she had to apologize officially on the app and everything.
Speaker 4: Because it's like, yeah, but are you going to change your ways now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Nextdoor is so racist, it's terrible. But there is a funny Twitter account called the Best of Nextdoor, so please follow that because they have some very choice, hilarious things that people write, because people write to each other and then they'll write racist shit and bad shit, and then people will be like fuck right off ed, like there's all kinds of fighting on it, and it's really funny.
Speaker 2: Oh God, tell us how we can help the community care.
Speaker 1: We need help let's talk about helping our community. You can help your community by complaining about firework.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: On this week's what Would Sister Peg Do, which is our weekly segment where we give you a resource, a website and organi something, a book, something that helps you gather more knowledge or contribute to a topic that we talked about in today's episode. This week, we wanted to highlight the American Immigration Council, which is www dot American Immigration Council dot org. The American Immigration Council works to strength in America by shaping how America thinks about and acts towards immigrants and immigration, and by working towards a more fair and just immigration system that opens its doors to those in need of protection and unleashes the energy and skills that immigrants bring. Immigrants are literally fifty percent of this podcast, and they are the best, and we need to treat them better and not with this fucking disdain and racism that we get a lot in this country.
Speaker 2: So yeah, without immigrants, you'd all be eating at fucking Applebee's and doing nothing. Okay, you think you guys would be winning any gold medals in ice skating?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, go fuck yourselves whenever I think about like, the people that hate him are like our race and hate different cultures, and like, for what what do you want? What does your town have to offer without an immigrant? You don't want FU in your neighborhood. I don't get it. I don't understand, Like you would just be eating peanut butter and jelly doing nothing right. Next week's episode will be Rapist Anonymous, Season fifteen, episode nine, So if you'd like to do your homework.
Speaker 1: Just a reminder that season fifteen is misnumbered on Hulu. Yes, it is, season fifteen, episode nine. It's called Rapist Anonymous. Look at the title so that you don't watch the wrong episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I did meet in Philly. Some people that fully don't even watch it. There are people who listen like they don't watch the episodes.
Speaker 1: Like it's so wid Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you do watch Peacock Hulu, all that jazz. If you don't watch, have a great weekend. Yeah, see you next week. Yeah, that's messed up as an exactly production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at that's messed up pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod.
Speaker 4: And follow us personally at Kara Klink.
Speaker 1: And at glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to SBU super fan and our incredible producer, Hannah Kyle Kraton.
Speaker 1: And to our sound engineer and personal hero Analis Nilson, and to Henry Koperski for our theme song, to Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thanks to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. If you're an advertiser interested in advertising on our show, go to midroll dot.
Speaker 4: Com slash ads Done.
Speaker 1: Done