Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Rosie Knight, and welcome back to the x Ray Vision the podcast Store. We dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: We're here iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 1: Where where we bring in you episodes every Tuesday and Thursday, the summer's biggest movies every.
Speaker 2: Friday, and news on Saturday.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are re releasing a classic episode. Last year, when Alien Romulus arrived in theaters, we did speed recaps of the entire franchise, but with Alien Earth around the corner, we thought everyone could use a quick refresher course, so enjoy this classic episode.
Speaker 4: So here we go, Alien Franchise recap in chronological order.
Speaker 5: Wow, fictional chronological.
Speaker 1: Order, chronological fictional honor, which is our favorite way to do recap.
Speaker 4: We begin with nineteen nineties Predator two. That's right, Predator two.
Speaker 2: Woo Wow. The crowd goes wild.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's precede this by saying that both Jason and I shed a deep love for this movie when we with children.
Speaker 2: We love this movie, but it is.
Speaker 1: A very problematic movie when you watch it again.
Speaker 4: Hid watching it in the modern day, there's it definitely raises some red flags. We open in Los Angeles. The year is nineteen ninety seven. Los Angeles is slightly faturistic. The Los Angeles is racked by hyper violent gang violence between two, yes, very racially problematic, depictions of Colombian and Jamaican gangs that are at each other's necks end. This violence attracts the attentions of a predator who's like, oh, I love violence.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these guys are killing each other.
Speaker 4: That I will kill the ones who are killing the most because I'm a predator. That's what I love to do is kill the most dangerous one.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and then I'll be like the best killer in downtown LA specifically.
Speaker 5: So the alien, just.
Speaker 4: As racking up bodies, cuts a bloody swath through both of these gangs. LAPD Officer Mike Harrigan played by Danny Glover. Huh that, Glover, Why were you cost in this movie? I don't know, but I love it. He is too old for this shit in this movie.
Speaker 2: He does you don't want to be able.
Speaker 4: To ashier suits in this than you would expect from the Lethal Weapons series.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: So he's investigating the gang violence and he finds himself in pursuit of the Predator, and of course nobody believes, you know, he's getting all these reports, all this like Invisible Killer.
Speaker 5: It's weird.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a man, it was a monster or whatever. Towards the end of the film, as Harrogan is in pursuit of this predator, the Predator goes to its ship that it's hidden and as it you know, goes in there to like restock on ammo et cetera, and like treat its wounds, and we see among the Predator's trophies is a xenomorph skull on the wall. And let me tell you, in the pre internet era, when I saw this as a kid and saw the alien style, I was like, my mind literally exploded. But it's all I could talk about.
Speaker 6: You don't understand the aliens exist in the Predator universe. I've never heard of such a.
Speaker 2: Cross this game. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Literally, I think for me this was probably also my first crossover movie. And then I think the second one was like I don't know, Frandy in Hell Freddie goes to Hell and at.
Speaker 2: The end he pulls down I mean that.
Speaker 1: I think those are the two memories I have of like, oh shit, like something's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: So Harrigan kills the predator with its own like little weapon.
Speaker 5: It's the Frisbee weapon.
Speaker 4: And then a group of predators who I guess have been like observing, appear and they take their fellow predators corpse back with them to put it on the ship, and they give Harrigan like an old like revolutionary war pistol as.
Speaker 5: A good job. All right, do you peace?
Speaker 4: Next movie Alien Versus Predator two thousand and four.
Speaker 5: The year is a year is two thousand and four.
Speaker 4: Charles Whaland played by Lance Henrickson that you played Bishop, the synthetic humanoid Bishop in Aliens and other roles which we will get to in the Alien franchise, is the CEO of Whalen Industries, and he sends a crack team of international scientists and mercenaries to a recently discovered pyramid which is under the Antarctic ice. Now the pyramid turns out to be a predator like hunting temple, and it turns out.
Speaker 5: How do they build it?
Speaker 4: Because they're the space faring highly advanced hunters And it turns out.
Speaker 5: They're just like SPC the predators. Now, it turns out.
Speaker 4: The predators taught human beings how to build pyramids because I guess people couldn't like figure out the triangle shape.
Speaker 2: Like they were like they were like, this is a two complex. What wo baby, I barely just got the wheel going. I don't know what's going.
Speaker 4: So predator culture apparently considers the xenomorph like the ultimate prey, like the most dangerous thing you can hunt.
Speaker 5: Right, So every one.
Speaker 4: Hundred years, the predator contestants come to Earth to hunt xenomorphs specifically hatched from sacrificial human beings, and this alien queen that they have like frozen in the pyramid. And this is like the predator version of the Olympics, right, It's a big deal. And the scientists and the mercenaries get all caught up in this competition and they're like, we have to help the predators win because the aliens if they overrun, you know, the predators, they'll like wild on Earth and just kill everybody or use them as you know, egg hatching incubators. The predators give Arctic guide Lex played by snal A than a spear is a gift and after this is after the predators defeat the aliens, uh, they then get in the ship with one of their fallen comrades named Scar and they take off, and then.
Speaker 5: Soon after they take off, an.
Speaker 4: Alien predator hybrid bursts from the dead predator's chest. Now you would, after several centuries of dealing with these creatures, that the predators would like X ray everybody that they designed.
Speaker 5: Take that does with that, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like to make sure they don't really think, y know what these things do.
Speaker 5: And you're still like, yeah, yeah, don't even check it. Just bring it right on.
Speaker 2: Just put him on the ship. He's fine. Definitely didn't get that.
Speaker 4: Brings us to two thousand and sevens Alien Predator Requiem, which occurs in the same year as Alien vers Predat two thousand and four, happens in fact immediately following the events. So right after the predators get in their ship and take off to fly back to their home planet, the pret alien, which is now hatched, it grows at a fantastic rate, as we often see that these creatures do, and immediately fucking goes ham and it causes the predator home ship to crash into Gunnis in Colorado. Ah, Yes, Gunnis in Colorado's poor town doesn't know what it's in for. The Xenomorphs then go fucking crazy and they start, you know, reproducing using humans as hosts, going nuts. A Predator champion back on the Predator homeworld gets the distress signal and it's like, fuck this, I'm going there alone.
Speaker 1: If He's like, if you want to jump and I'm.
Speaker 5: Going to wipe out all the xenomorphs on Earth.
Speaker 4: Now things get really chaotic and crazy, so much so that the military like immediately gets involved and they decide, we can't we can't let this spread any further. Let's nuke gunnison, a thing you've seen in a million movie Outbreak, the.
Speaker 5: Blob, et cetera.
Speaker 4: So, but I think it's actually like quite a reasonable thing to do in this particular case.
Speaker 2: Jason's like, in this case.
Speaker 1: You go to do I feel like I feel like they're they're not thinking about the fact that in the canon of these kind of movies, if you nuke some creature, it usually just becomes giant. So I would definitely be thinking of the Godzilla potentials of the mutation, But I still understand the intention.
Speaker 4: It's pretty like you must imagine like the president would have had to have been briefed Sally, Okay, mister President. So what we've got is a parasitic alien race species that is reproducing very quickly, and they are also being fought by a humanoid alien race of hunters. Are you getting this, sir.
Speaker 2: To alien species you didn't know about until this.
Speaker 4: The military nukes Gunisen, killing the predator and the Xenomorphs. The Predator's gun is then gifted to miss Utani, who does not have a first name in the movie, who is the CEO of a Japanese cybernetics and robotics company, the Utani Corporations. Now we have Wayland and Utani in the universe.
Speaker 1: Dude, I have to say the movies that are essentially like so derived.
Speaker 5: Both these movies are dumb.
Speaker 1: Try to enjoy they are like so dumb, it's so funny, how dedicated they have to.
Speaker 4: Say they worked really hard, Like can't casting LANDA Hendrickson, Yeah, I got you know, being like and they're like, we're gonna make cannon manly, You're gonna kid, You're.
Speaker 2: Gonna care about this.
Speaker 1: People will be talking about this, and it's like, people, these movies are so dumb, but I gotta they command really hard to every single movie having a twist ending that is somehow connectically in law.
Speaker 4: These reveals do have an interesting effect on the overall cannon, which we will discuss as we get there. Next up twenty twelve's Prometheus, The year is twenty eighty nine. Archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw and her boyfriend Charlie discover that many ancient human cultures have a very similar foundational myth that involves very tall aliens from a distant star system. And these tall aliens are the engineers who I guess, so life across the galaxy or something. Peter Whyland, who is very very very very very old and about to die, Like any second he's about to die.
Speaker 2: He is about to go. It's happening as his.
Speaker 4: Like video recording is being played to this science team that he's put together. He's like, I'm not by the time you watch this, I'm gone. So hes an ambitious mission to a moon in that particular star system that they matched to the cave paintings and different pieces of art from all those human cultures, and so they're going to this moon called LVY two twenty three because he thinks the engineers are there, and mister Whaland wants the engineers to tell him how he can like avoid dying, which is such a fucking come.
Speaker 2: On, just assassin thing to do.
Speaker 1: Like, so many of the decisions in these movies are so terrible, And it's really funny because once we you know, we are doing this in fictional chronological order. So at this point, by the time you get to Prometheus, the movie is essentially like an MCU filled easter egg for the previous alien movies that were released. But at this point chronologically you're just like, my friend, what are you doing, Like you have to spend this much money, I'm sure you could just find.
Speaker 2: A sign to do this instead of going in the real world.
Speaker 4: PayPal founder Peter Thiel, you know, investor in tech and all around right wing nut job, has It's been credibly reported that he injects himself with like the human blood of like young healthy people.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Know they're doing crazy in the real world.
Speaker 5: So yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: The journey take to LV two twenty three takes them four years. They're in cryo sleep the whole time. Cash While they're in cryo sleep, they're watched over by David, who is a synthetic a humanoid that was designed by mister Whyland. On LV two twenty three, the team finds like a ton of artifacts from the engineers, including all these jars of like black goo that turns out to be a bio weapon. David takes like a drop played very creepily by Michael Fastbat takes a drop of the black goo, and he infects Charlie with it. Charlie then has sex with Elizabeth and impregnates her unknowingly with this very fast growing alien fetus, just as David wanted. She asks, yeah, as it's growing, like she's in more and more physical distress, and they do a scan and he's like says, very.
Speaker 5: Creepy, oh, you've got this alien in you.
Speaker 4: And she's like, well, let's get it out. And he's like, well, we don't have the stuff, we don't have any way to do that here, and we yeah, yeah, yeah, Bat, let's just seeze you take you home.
Speaker 2: Okay, seems like nothing.
Speaker 4: Very Elizabeth breaks into Charlie's thron's cabin on the ship and uses her advanced like medical machine of which only a dozen were made, and she does like an abortion on herself, removing this like wriggling squid like alien. It's really gross, it's really great super so can we just say you mentioned Shaly's there on This movie has like a wild cast is Yourselba Charlie's then Michael Fastbender, like Wembridley Scott said he was coming back the original director of Alien.
Speaker 2: Everyone was like, I'm jumping on that ship. Like there's some very.
Speaker 1: Iconic images from this movie, like Idris Alba smoking a Christmas tree that I feel actually have almost more longevity than the movie.
Speaker 2: It did inspire many important memes.
Speaker 4: So we learned that LV two twenty three was an engineer like bioweapon facility. They were making this bioweapon and that they had planned to release it on Earth. Non canon sources, namely Ridley Scott, who directed this film, says that in his mind, they wanted to send the goo. They made the decision to send the good to Earth like two thousand years ago, and it was because the humans had killed their emissary, the engineer emissary that sent to Earth to tell them to like chill out and stop being so violent, and that was Jesus. So Jesus was an engineer, but then he didn't really put it in so that credible kind of like the under that's the subtext, man, that's straight from Ridley Scott.
Speaker 1: The movie is very heavily invested in the religious and God, and part of the reason that Elizabeth even goes on it is just because she's religious and she wants to meet God. She wants to understand faith and where she comes from. That is incredible and I had no idea that was part of the canon, So thank you for that one, Ridley Scott and Jason.
Speaker 4: And now we mentioned that mister Oylan was like really really old and about to die, and by the time they land on LVT twenty three, everybody thought he was dead, but surprise, he's actually alive, and David goes to get him from wherever he was high.
Speaker 5: He was like hiding in the in the ship the whole time.
Speaker 2: He had like a secret a secret.
Speaker 5: False bottom, like in a desk or something.
Speaker 4: So they get him out and David, you know, goes with him, and Charlie's then sorry, Meredith Vickers, I'll call it very character name. And Elizabeth and I go to the engineership and then David wakes up an engineer and he can talk to them because he's been studying proto into a European this ancient language, and so he translates for mister Whyland and basically says, hey, I know we just woke you up, but like my boss wants to know how he cannot die. And the engineer is like, you came all the way here for this, and he goes crazy. He rips David's head off. He's so pissed off, He's like that, he rips.
Speaker 5: David's head off.
Speaker 4: He bashes mister Whyland in the head with David's head, and then you know, it goes. He tries to take off, but Elizabeth, you know, radios to Adris Elba and is like, we need to crash the ship or else, like he's gonna send the Black pep to Earth. The ship crashes. Now the engineer is like chasing Elizabeth. It chases her through the human ship, where all of a sudden, Elizabeth's xenomorph baby that looks like now like a huge squid yeah, math subdues the engineer and impregnates it, like puts its like egg overpositor into the Engineer's mouth, which is like super super gross. Elizabeth then recovers David's head and body and is like, hey, I want to go to the engineer Homeworld.
Speaker 5: I need answers.
Speaker 4: I want to find out why they're going to wipe out humanity with the black Goo, and will you take me? And David's like, you know what, fuck it, let's do it. After this a xenomore, not a full alien as we know from like alien and Aliens, but like more kind of like certainly one that looks like right, it's getting there. It bursts out of the Engineer's chest. Uh, and then later off this is kind of like this is not in the movie, but it's part of like the Off Cannon and other fictional materials. Whaland Industries goes bankrupt because mister Whalen put all his money. They flopped that to just Coromedia's mission, and it is then acquired by the Utani Corporation, creating the Whaland Utani Corporation that brings us to Alien Covenant. The year is twenty one oh four. The Whaland Utani ship Covenant, carrying several thousand Space Columnists, is on its way to Orgie six Walter and Advanced Synth using the David format, but with all of David's like creative abilities that human beings found like really just concerning removed manages things during the long cryo sleep of the crew and all the colonists. But then tragedy strikes. There's this neutrino burst and Walt tries to wake everybody up to get them out of their tubes because the ship is damaged, but Captain James Franco sadly dies in his cryo tube.
Speaker 2: Rip to that captain, rip to him.
Speaker 4: Now, the crew while it's fixing the ship, gets a distress signal from a nearby planet called Planet four, and the new captain, Captain Orum, is like, let's go investigate. So they investigate and they find out that this distress signal, which came in the form of take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver in Christ, is from a planet Planet four that is like completely like earthlike it can it's got like water. They live there, and so the whole crew is like, you know what, we just saw the captain like get burned alive in his tube. Nobody wants to get back for seven years. What if this is the answer to all our problems? We just like do this, We just like stay here. Daniels, who is James Franco's widow now and is the second in command is like, wait, wait, wait, it seems a little too perfect, doesn't it, Like why didn't we ever we do all these scans, which is how we found six, but now there's this closer planet and we never saw it, and it's like perfect, Like this doesn't seem any weird anybody, And everybody's like shut up, no. So they go to investigation and these are the dumbest fucking scientists ever. So they go down to investigate this earth like planet and they go with like literally no ppe, no helmets, no breathers, nothing that we can just bring. Well, I guess they're just like sitting on stuff and touching things and like you don't see them drink the water, but they might as well be, because they're just like breathing the error. They're raw dogging this fucking planet and shocking Goose because what they get infected by like sports the black goo, right, And of course they then become hosts for xeno Morphs. By the way, we also see that this there's a city here and it's full of like dead engineers. This is like the engineer home World. So one of the infected team members gets taken back aboard the ship the covenant, which is crazy. You just bring him back on he's got he's sick with Why would you.
Speaker 2: Do it every time? They are not following.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like just keep him in quarantine. They were not prepared whoever put together this team of colonists, and they were not prepared to be colonizing the.
Speaker 4: Rest of the group like remains on the planet's surface with another infected guy. They then get attacked by the xeno morphs that were one of which was born from the infected person. But then they're saved by David Damon's here dun dum.
Speaker 2: It turns out he's.
Speaker 4: David wiped out all the engineers by like dropping their black goo bombs on them, and he's spent all the time, like whatever it is eleven years later or something, trying to perfect the perfect zenomorph because he loves making things.
Speaker 2: He just loves this. You get some deeply wild moments.
Speaker 1: I remember sitting in the movie theater in Long Beach, where I believe I went with people from my old comic shop that used to be on the waterfront at Long Beach, and we went there and there is like a five minute scene in this movie where one of the Michael Fassbenders is like playing yeah, and then they're like gonna kiss and like it is legitimately one of the weirdest movies. Jason's Fantastic Recap has always is just zooming through this, making it seem far more action packed than it is.
Speaker 2: This is like such a weirdly long.
Speaker 1: Atmospheric like gothic movie, and the two micro fast mendez are just having the wildest thought.
Speaker 4: So David then kills Walter in the scene that Rosie was just talking about after the flute scene, basically tricks him and like rips something out of his neck and fucking drops him dead. But Walter is a significantly upgraded model, and he like fixes himself somehow off camera and comes back and he takes out David.
Speaker 5: Walter Daniels again.
Speaker 4: James Franco's widow then flee back to the Covenant ship, but then it turns out that the xenomorph hatched out of the sick guy that they brought him to the fucking ship is now loose on the ship. So uh, David Daniels and Danny McBride worked together to kill the alien. Hey, and as Daniels is being put back into cryo sleep by.
Speaker 1: This bit is actually genuinely terrifying, and I still think about how impact.
Speaker 5: This and is was fucking great.
Speaker 4: So Daniels has been put back into cry sleep by Walter, and she says, hey, will you help me build my log cabin earlier in the movie of building a log cabin, and he doesn't get the reference, and she realizes with horror that it's actually David, that's not Walter, and she but she can't do anything now because the go to sleep gases are filling the tube, and she goes to fucking sleep. David then throws up to face huggers like in little.
Speaker 5: Plastic cash pill capsules, puts.
Speaker 4: Them in the human embryo freezer, and then radio's mission control back on Earth and says, hey, sorry, everybody died and I'm trying to carry out the machine on my own. We'll be back in just a moment after a word from our friends at whalen Utani. Whalen Utani making the galaxy better, and we're back.
Speaker 5: That brings us too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Alien nineteen seventy nine's Alien. The movie that's started all the year is twenty one twenty two The Wayland Utanni Mining ship Nostromo receives a distress signal from planet LV four twenty six. They go to investigate. They find an alien ship. On the ship, there is a long dead engineer still in a jump seat with like the trademark burst out of its chest. A face hugger hatches and attaches itself to the face of one of the crew members named Kane, who is then taken back aboard the ship by the fucking Captain Dallas played by Tom Scarrett.
Speaker 5: I will say this is.
Speaker 4: The most effective like breaking quarantine scene because Ripley Ellen Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver, the hero of the film, is like you come, don't is like hard.
Speaker 2: No, She is the safety officer, don't you.
Speaker 5: Says I'm not letting you in.
Speaker 4: You have to be there for you have to stay in quarantine for twenty four hours. But it's Ash the who then turns out to be Sayna, a human who, as we will later learn, has other motives, lets them aboard anyway. They get a board, and it's horrific. You know, everybody's horrified by this faceoger on Kane. But then eventually the face oger lets go and dies and everything seems fine, Yeah, until they're all having a wonderful dinner before going back and cry to sleep, and Kine is all of a sudden in immense distressed, and that happens the Xenomorph burst out of his chest to general screen runs across the horrifying moment.
Speaker 2: Hilarious and certainly one of.
Speaker 5: The most just an iconic cinema moment.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Yeah, this is still just like after watching all these movies in this order, when you get here, the pice's fautiful, the gorgeous set, the production design hr guyget you can.
Speaker 2: Just feel how tactile and.
Speaker 1: Terrifying it really is compared to some of the more modern versions.
Speaker 2: And this scene is still so iconic and so.
Speaker 5: Like this movie.
Speaker 4: Obviously there's some dated things about it, but overall seen the scene, just like looking at them walking through hallways and stuff, it looks as good as anything need today.
Speaker 1: It looks absolutely Yeah, and it's also a movie.
Speaker 2: About like working classes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, literally about work. It's about on the ship, like.
Speaker 2: It's about blue collar guys.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting in so many different ways that you know this many years later still feel really relevant and cool.
Speaker 4: So the Zeno Mooreph quickly grows to this to the size of a very large.
Speaker 5: Human being, and it begins.
Speaker 4: Off crewmembers one at a time, including the captain, who volunteers himself to go like try and flush this thing out of the air ducks because clearly he's feeling like shit because this is all his fucking fault, like he broke corts me.
Speaker 2: Just listened.
Speaker 4: Now, Ripley discovers that Ash, the science officer, plans to return to Earth with the Xenomorph and had in fact been kind of directed to steer them towards this distress signal. And because the company whyl and Utani that they all work for, really, really really wants this xenomorph ip for like their weapons divisions, sure like their healthcare division, for all sorts of divisions that they have under their banner.
Speaker 2: It really is a killing machine. And also, I want to say this.
Speaker 1: Is leads to another one of the most terrifying scenes when Ash attacks Ripley.
Speaker 4: It's so simple, but I remember being so disconcerted. First of all, I saw this scene. I was not allowed to watch the movie. I was probably like five, and my parents had it on VHS and they were watching it, and I watched it from the top of the stairs.
Speaker 5: I watched the whole fucking thing.
Speaker 4: This scene really bothered me because there's something so weird about the way he tries, like he rolls up a magazine and tries to stuff it in her mouth, And to this day, I've never seen somebody try to kill somebody like that, and it really just really bothered me. The imagery was so disturbing. Anyway, Ash tries to kill Ripley, but then is stopped by the surviving crew members, and we discover that Ash is this synthetic human with like milky blood.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, so creepy.
Speaker 4: Eventually it gets down to just Ripley because the alien kills all these crew members. She and the ship cat Jones said, the Stromo is self destuck, and they get on a lifeboat and they launch and then Stromo explodes and everything's fucking fine. No, it's not, because the alien is hiding on the lifeboat.
Speaker 5: They're really smart, these aliens.
Speaker 2: They are very clever.
Speaker 4: Ripley gets into a spacesuit, she opens the airlock, shoots the alien in the chest with a harpoon, sending it out of the airlock, and then when it tries to crawl back onto the hull of the ship. It ends up like inside one of the engines of the ship, and she hits the thruster and it burns up, and then she goes in a cry of sleep at Jones and everything is happily ever after, right.
Speaker 2: Of course, normal problems. She escaped with the cat. That's all she needed.
Speaker 4: That brings us to coming to a theater near you. Romulus, set between the events of Alien and the next movie in the series Aliens from nineteen eighty Aliens, Now Aliens takes place in the year twenty one to seventy nine. Ripley has been asleep for fifty seven years when she is discovered by a salvage ship.
Speaker 5: She returns to Earth, but all hope of.
Speaker 4: Like restarting like a normal life are scuttled because her credit score is absolutely fucking shit housed because whyland Utani considers her financially liable unbelievable for the destruction of the now Stroma, which she had to do, And she tries to tell them, well, there's this fucking alien, there's a cenomorph. It killed the whole crewude, and the shot whatever, We've never heard of anything like that.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we know, yeah, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Utani company, And separately, both the Whyland and Utani sides of the company have been aware, well aware of the existence of xenomorphs, saying since the twentieth century, they've known about.
Speaker 2: It, they've been trying to make one.
Speaker 1: Also, I just want to say, you know, this is a huge change from Ridley Scott, the original director. Now you've got James Cameron. That's two of the biggest directors of all time. But I love that James Cameron respected that this needed to at least begin by being a movie about a blue collar worker getting fucked over by a corporation. He was like, that part is really important, even if the rest of the movie is going to be totally different. I just need people to know I remember that that is what made that movie.
Speaker 4: And I have to say, you gotta love James Cameron before the Avatar movies, before this complete CG revolution that he undertook, because here's another movie with the production design, the practical effects, the sets that looks so tactile and real and lived in and it looks again, it looks as good as any movie that will come out like it just looks fucking great. Anyway, when Wayland loses contact with their colony, Hadley's Hope on LV four twenty six.
Speaker 2: Why did they stock Alanya Guy? Well, I think they knew it. I think they did that.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I think they did this.
Speaker 4: They did so they strong armed Ripley into going back because she's the only person with experience with Xeno Morrison. She's like, you'll be a consultant, and by the way, you'll be completely safe because we're sending you with a squad of heavily armed colonial marines. These these men and women are fucking badasses. They're so buff and they go they're fucking professionals.
Speaker 2: There's nothing that can happen to them.
Speaker 4: They've kill, kill, kill, and there's nobody better Baby Galaxy than them. Well, yes there is, because as soon as they land, the aliens wipe out the fucking Marines like quick, like ten minutes. There's only a handful of marines, and this thrust Ripley, a surviving colonist, this little girl named Nude, and a rag tag of marines and one company hack named Carter Burke into a struggle to survive. They come up with a plan to nuke the There're just like, let's get back on our ship.
Speaker 5: And fucking nuke. Like what you know, now, Company hack.
Speaker 4: Burke disagrees in Gunnissan Company hack Burke is like, now, hold on, this installation holds a significant dollar value to the stockholders, not to mention the potential gains to be made from the alien ip They're like, shut the fuck up, bitch, shut up where nuke.
Speaker 2: They're like, this is alway the problem.
Speaker 1: This is where the problem comes from. You're not taking an alien home. It's not Jurassic Park.
Speaker 4: It's again, it must be said, they've been trying to take an alien back to Earth for like one hundred years at this point. Anyway, this so they ignore him and they proceed with nuke from orbit plan, which requires them to escape back to their ship. But the aliens fucking go crazy. They kill Company Hack, Carter Burke, and a bunch of others. Ripley eventually escapes with Newt and a bishop the new Synth played by Lance Henrickson, who you know Ripley has been struggling to kind of trust up until this time. Yeah, they get back on board their ship and they are gonna nuke it from orbit, but then guess what. It turns out that the alien queen who Ripley had previously burned up all the eggs, all the alien face hugger eggs in front of the queen. It made the queen super angry. Now she's so pissed. She attached herself to their jump ship and like was hiding in the wheel well and now she appears. She tears Bishop in half. But then Ripley, in one of the most iconic scenes in movies, Yeah legendary scene, puts on a loader suit basically a mech suit and beats the shit out of the queen get away from Yeah bitch.
Speaker 2: How you bitch? Also just need to say, like, the queen design is so sick.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to come from a movie like Alien where you have someone's literal nightmares. In HL Guy Got Coming to life as the xenomov, it shocked people. We had no idea of what an alien could look like before all that.
Speaker 2: Before it had.
Speaker 1: Always been the you know, the the Gray Men kind of trope. And then to have to find a new way to scare people in the new movie is.
Speaker 2: So well done.
Speaker 1: Even though this is definitely more of an action than a sci Fi horror. I do think the Queen design goes down as like one of the most badass designs.
Speaker 4: And it must be said, Cameron has created two of the greatest sequels of all time T two and Aliens. Ever, you know, it's like Godfather too off T two Aliens. That's like the triumvirate of the greatest sequels of all time and James Cameron has made two of them.
Speaker 5: So yeah, Ripley Jettison's the Queen out into space.
Speaker 4: She puts Hicks into cryo sleep, she puts Nude into cryo sleep, she puts herself into cryo sleep.
Speaker 5: And they won. That's it. That's it, We've won.
Speaker 2: We're going back to Thema problems. She's got a nice little baby.
Speaker 7: Norm She's a kid likenw no young mute.
Speaker 4: That brings us to Alien three from nineteen ninety two. The year is twenty one seventy.
Speaker 2: Nine Dun Dun Dum.
Speaker 4: After a fire aboard the marine intergalactic ship causes the lifeboat to be launched, which contains the cryo tubes of Hicks, Ripley, Newt, and Bishop. The lifeboat then crashes on a prison planet inhabited by all male inmates. Only Ripley survives no scratch. That a face hugger, a face hug that was aboard the ship also survives. The face hugger then hug wild one of the inmates dogs, and the dog quickly gives birth to a really bad looking xenomorph alien hybrid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really ugly dog xenom off hybrid.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just want to stop us that because in one of the original scripts this movie was written like four or five times before it was made.
Speaker 2: It was originally going to be.
Speaker 4: A cow instead of a dog, which I would have loved to see.
Speaker 2: Also, this movie is.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite almost movie scripts, which was the original Alien three script was that it was going to be set on a planet of monks and the planet was entirely wooden, and inside the wooden planet were all these tunnels, and you kind of get to see a little Instead of monks, you get the prisoners who are religious fanatics, and you get some of those tunnels still going through the prison planet. But it's not in any way as wild as that would have been. This movie had true production hell, it went through.
Speaker 4: And this is David Fincher's feature film debut. David Fincher was by this time a very accomplished music video and commercial director some really like iconic music videos for Madonna and many many other notables, and did a lot of ad campaigns for Levi's Nike, et cetera. But this is his first movie, and he has since he disowned the movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, all three cups.
Speaker 1: He doesn't like the work print, he doesn't like the theatrical print, he doesn't like the special edition, he said, not for me.
Speaker 2: I find that also, this movie really feels like it.
Speaker 1: Was heavily influenced by like a French cinema at the time, like the City of Lost Children.
Speaker 4: We Have Lost Children, kind of like the breakout film of the director who directed Alien Resurrection, the next film in it. Yeah, and it really feels to me like this was influenced I agree with you by that by Delicatessen.
Speaker 2: It has this kind of weird it's incredibly.
Speaker 1: Monotone like the Yeah, it has like these monotone kind of like and it's very slow compared to you know, Aliens. And yes, the dog's animal hybrid is notoriously bad in this and it actually has there's a very famous scene with it's just hands and some black leather gloves and they just come down on the screen and everyone's like, no human adds.
Speaker 4: CG for it, And this is nineteen ninety two, and you know, by this point it's like the state of the art for this kind of CG was again probably T two and What's the James Cameron.
Speaker 1: Which, by the way was also at the time the most expensive underwater deep the Abyss.
Speaker 5: So you know, at this time.
Speaker 4: The state of the art for this kind of effects was probably like T two and The Abyss, both by James Cameron.
Speaker 5: By the way, the.
Speaker 8: Dog Allian Dog alias Let's go with them, they like gave it this kind of green sheen, which I think what they were intending to do was to make it stand out from these very gray stone hallway backgrounds that stand.
Speaker 5: Out from the shadows.
Speaker 4: But the issue is it made it look completely not realistic to the way light works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in any way, so it just looks anyway, I will say as well. Another interesting thing I learned because I watched this on laser disc, so I was like, oh, maybe the laser disc lasion is a different cock because I've seen many different cots of the Alien movie.
Speaker 2: Because there were just so.
Speaker 1: Many no, But what I did learn is that how they did the CG on this so they could see what it looked like was they would take a.
Speaker 2: Laser disc version of the dailies and then.
Speaker 1: Overlay the CIG on top of the movie to see what it would look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how they were making it.
Speaker 1: So laser disc actually a very important part of the making of this movie. But yeah, it does look like the CG was done with laser disc, so that did not actually surprise me.
Speaker 5: Ripley forms a bond with Clemens.
Speaker 4: The prison doctor played by Charles Dance aka Tywon Lanister Taiwan landis dog alien goes on a fucking hot streak like killing Sbury. It's just kill Ay, kills the warden while the warden is giving kills the warden while the warden is giving like a speech about how no one should be worried about like the people who've been dying recently in any rumor that there's like a dragon running around they.
Speaker 5: Killing people's nature.
Speaker 4: The dog alien like reaches down from the fucking sea and just like.
Speaker 5: Choose him up. But it doesn't kill Ripley because guess why.
Speaker 2: Huh, oh man, I wonder why it.
Speaker 4: With an alien the face hugger got her in the oh Man so and so remember it bummed out about this and she's like, well, I'm gonna kill myself.
Speaker 5: I want to die. And the inmates are.
Speaker 2: Like, Noah's more, you die.
Speaker 5: You have to help us beat this thing because you've you've done it twice. Now we can't. We need you. We need your help, you see, and then you can kill yourself. And she's like okay.
Speaker 4: So that she comes up with a plant to like lure it because they have no weapons on this prison facility, lure it into it like a furnace facility that they have where they can dump like molten metal on it and kill it.
Speaker 5: And so they managed to do that.
Speaker 4: They dumped the molten metal on it and then just like terminated too. They like spray it with water which has this like rapid temperature shift and its it like shatters. Okay again, just you think this must be one of the things that bothers Fincher too.
Speaker 5: He's like, but they did.
Speaker 4: They did an interminator too, and then we're doing it at the end of the So then Ripley is about to jump in the furnace. Mission accomplished she wants wants to kill this turns out she's an alien queen in her chest. But then a whalen Utani rescue team arrives, led by mister Bishop, the human creator of Bishop the Synth. He's glens Hendrick is back and there and whaling Utani must be thinking, finally, this is it. We've got it, We've it actually did it's We've been trying to do this for two hundred years and now we finally got a human with a with an alieness and it's an alien queen. We've got to get this thing back to Earth.
Speaker 5: But it doesn't work.
Speaker 4: And even though mister Bishop is very very I might have been persuaded by mister Bishop.
Speaker 5: He really puts the charm on. He's like, Ripley, what are you? Don't you want to go Homely, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: You think we couldn't be great. And then she's like part of.
Speaker 5: The whale of you family like don't do.
Speaker 1: That, and she's like, well, my adopted daughter is dead and I'm pregnant with the alien baby, so I'm just gonna jump into this CG molten metal like.
Speaker 5: Jumps into the CG molten metal just.
Speaker 4: Like Jesus Christ just as the alien queen burst out of her chest and she's like like a baby, and they hit they hit the metal and they burn up and that's it.
Speaker 5: Happily. Ever, after that's.
Speaker 1: It, we just have to take a break to go and insert the alien eggs into our human sacrifices so we can have xenomorphs ready for you after this.
Speaker 7: Message, and we're back.
Speaker 2: Finally, Ripley is free from the aliens. Nothing else could happen.
Speaker 5: Alien Resurrection nineteen ninety seven the year, but it's been two hundred years, directed by Jean Pierre Jeunette.
Speaker 2: Still haven't done it. They still haven't.
Speaker 5: Directed by French weirdo Jean Pierre Jeanne of Omily fame and the City of City of Lost Children, City of Lost Children. Super weird, really fun movie.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure he was the correct choice for this film, but regardless. Whalen Utani scientists a border ship named the Ariga clone Ripley from a blood sample and they combine it with xenomorphtine clone Ripley and then grows up to like adult Ripley in a very short period of time. Because you know how the aliens do that. They just grow up and clone Ripley Ye super strong, has acid blood and also has a very weird psychic link to the aliens. And also because I guess the xenomorphs have like a genetic memory, they chair the memory of like other I don't know how it works, but whatever. Ripley also somehow she has memories of herself, but they're from the perspective of the aliens that like fought.
Speaker 5: Her wild So are the aliens psychic? Like how do they get the memory?
Speaker 2: I think maybe it's like a hive mind.
Speaker 5: This is very venerable.
Speaker 2: They all are experience. This is the next video essay how Alien Resurrection shaped the.
Speaker 4: Okay, so mercenaries arrive on the Arega. They're here to deliver prisoners. They are going to be used as incubators for the alien eggs for to create more aliens. Evil Annilie Call played by Winona Ryder decides like, Hey, this is a really fucked up thing that's happening here. They're using humans to get the aliens. And also the aliens are like a super weapon and if they get out it would be really crazy.
Speaker 5: We can't let this happen.
Speaker 4: But of course, eventually the aliens escape from where they're being researched, and actually this way, I thought, this is kind of like my favorite part of the movie is like, so they've got these two aliens, they're running tests on them, and then the aliens can't get out because like every time they approach the glass or approach the walls, like they get shot with this like very very cold like gas. And so one of the aliens, the aliens are really smart, guys, how often.
Speaker 5: Do we have to say it?
Speaker 4: They're like, wait a second, we have acid blood, and they one of the aliens kills the other one who just like lets itself get killed, and the blood builts the floor and then it jumps through the floor and gets out into the the facility. Now we should mention again, whaleen U Tani has been researching these aliens for two centuries.
Speaker 2: They know about it acid blood. I feel like it should be like having a guy the acid blood melts. Guys.
Speaker 4: You know about the acid blood.
Speaker 2: Really, you definitely know.
Speaker 4: A queen alien containing some of Ripley's human DNA gives birth human like birth because it has like a uterus like a human.
Speaker 5: To a almost funny looking human alien that looks like Rosie. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with me on this looks like Pumpkinhead. I do agree Mkinhead from the titular villain from Pumpkinhead, the film which also stars Aliens star Dun Dunn Lance Henrickson, He's back. He's connected six degrees of Lance Ericksen in the Alien universe.
Speaker 2: It does look like Pumpkinhead.
Speaker 1: They did not deliver the new cool alien design when it came to that little guy. Also, I feel like maybe this is one of those like weird social and constructs. But I swear to God, like when I was a kid, I thought when on a Ryder was like her door or something in this movie, or her clothes or something, And then when I rewatched it, I was like, that is definitely not what it's like.
Speaker 4: If you get fire five vibes from the mercenaries and from like the design. That might be because Joss Whedon wrote this terrible fucking script. This movie is like, it's so bad, but it's the worst looking of the Alien movies by far, at least Alien three. Every few years with Alien three.
Speaker 1: Hence why I own it on Bloomin Laser disc that I just bought recently from Amba in La. It's like every few years I reconsider it because there's it's like a visual, there's a visual, a choice that David Fincher made. It's very strange, it's very dreary, it's slow burn. It has this weird religious kind of subtext to it.
Speaker 2: But it is, I have to say, sadly quite boring movie. But at least it has vibes.
Speaker 1: Alien four Resurrection does not have vibes and does not live up to a movie that has both Sigourney Weaver, and it.
Speaker 4: Looks sadly like a very cheap film.
Speaker 5: It does not look expensive or good at all.
Speaker 4: It does have what I consider to be one of the most iconic basketball scenes in movies in which the Mercenaries.
Speaker 2: This is the Mercenaries encounter with the cat super Ripley.
Speaker 5: So super Ripley.
Speaker 4: Again, Remember has the alien DNA, and she's like practicing basketball and her game is like Peau Charles Barkley, like she just like drives to the hoop of.
Speaker 5: Dunks, that's what he is.
Speaker 4: And then of course there's this really amazing shot where she's like walking away from the basket and she shoots a basket over her head and it goes in, and she actually made that shot. That's like the take that's in the movie is for actually making the.
Speaker 2: Show is so good you can't believe it.
Speaker 1: It's like that Catwoman scene with Michelle Biba where she gets all the heads off with the whips.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things.
Speaker 1: Where it just becomes a legendary scene that you never believe was done without cg And yeah it was Sigourney.
Speaker 2: Weave a continue you can go Queen and the.
Speaker 4: Queen go on YouTube and see like the outtake, it's not an outtake, it's Ron Perlman like reacts the way any person would react to that by just going, oh my god. And he thought for a second that he like hauld ruin the take because he says it like right after it goes in, but there was enough space there for them to like cut anyway, Go watch it on YouTube.
Speaker 5: It's really funny.
Speaker 2: It's very cool.
Speaker 5: So Ripley manages to.
Speaker 4: Launch the alien Queen into space by melting a window with her acid blood.
Speaker 2: Of course again acid be.
Speaker 4: We should have thought about it, like we gotta ask to prove this entire facility, the mercenaries and Ripley escape the Orega, which crashes into Earth.
Speaker 5: Uh oh, but it does explode, so.
Speaker 4: Maybe, like all the aliens and alien research are fine. And then the mercenaries are like, where should we go? And then Ripley is like, you know, I don't know. I'm like two weeks old. Yeah, I don't, like, I don't know anything, and then the movie's over.
Speaker 5: The movie is so fucking dumb.
Speaker 2: It's so dumb.
Speaker 4: And that brings us to the chronological end of the Alien Universe as we know it now again.
Speaker 5: Alien Romulus coming to theaters near you soon takes place.
Speaker 4: Between alien and aliens. So that'd be very interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Yes, very interesting.
Speaker 1: And it's Fetti Alvarez, who's like a don't Breathe the Evil Dad remake. That man knows how to make a scary movie. So I'm excited to see what happens.
Speaker 4: One question I have for you that I think is listen this to your point, they did do a surprising amount of like lore building in this specifically in like the Alien Verse Presator Really why Yeah, The overall like world building is quite spotty, Like there's a lot of un answered questions and there's a lot of things that don't line up. And here's one of my biggest ones, and we don't really ever get the answer. Why were the engineers going to wipe out Earth other than the.
Speaker 2: Jesus in Jesus?
Speaker 1: Well, I do think you make a good point. I'm sure that Ridley Scott was planning to make the Jesus think canon.
Speaker 2: For some reason.
Speaker 1: These old directors from this error of action, they love Jesus.
Speaker 2: Poor Verhoven's the same, He loves Jesus.
Speaker 1: If you watch his very entertaining lesbian nonsplitation movie Benedetta. It's about like a nun in eighteenth Centuary Rome, you know, who begins having these visions. But when she has visions of Jesus, she's having visions of like hunky like action, start nuts, watchenegga Jesus. It's like some of the most outrageous stuff. I don't know why they love Jesus, but why were they gonna wipe us out? Probably, you know, some kind.
Speaker 2: Of like Godzilla esque.
Speaker 1: The engineers saw that we were destroying the Earth and they decided the best thing to do, or they wanted to terraform Earth and take it over and use it as a breeding ground. For these aliens, which would become like weapons if they wanted to take over other planets. But I think Prometheus kind of messes us up because Prometheus adds in the lore of like they are the creators, they are where the god mythology comes from. So then that takes on a lot of a heavier weight of kind of why they would want to destroy us.
Speaker 4: I guess part of me wonders so that you find out that the planet that they go to in Prometheus, like or at least the supposition from our science friends in the story, is that this is like a bioweapons facility, So maybe like yeah, maybe it's like the two ingredients of the weapon, like Earth is where the incubators are and then they have the actual weapon stuff. Honestly, that would be the smartest way to do it, seeing how violent this these this weapon is, is to like have them separate and then combine them later at some other place somewhere. Would they be fighting? Why would they need this weapon? I guess that's the other thing, like who were they scared of?
Speaker 5: Like the predators, but like.
Speaker 4: The prenators don't really feel like that's big a threat.
Speaker 1: To not really a formidable threat killing one engineer, like the engineers could just like step up or like.
Speaker 5: Can they kill like one engineer years like big fucking deal. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also as well, the Predators, I feel like that always just willing to like team up with someone thanks to the laylo, So I feel like the Energy Engineers could have just been like, let's not be beefing, bro, Like, let's just be cool. I won't make a bioweapon to kill you if you just chill out a bit. But you know what, that's the interesting thing. I've been thinking a lot about prequels cause of House of the Dragon, which I believe is currently up there for me for like one of the greatest prequels that we've ever gotten, the way that the TV series decided to adapt Fire and Blood. And actually, like, prequels are so complex because you do start to build in or this law that was never intended in the original films, you know, so with Alien versus Predator in these movies that are so far away from really being connected to like the original Alien. But because they start technically before you are watching a prequel, and if you're a nerd like us, you can't help connecting those things together. So you do start asking these questions about how these things all connect.
Speaker 2: And I do still think with Alien.
Speaker 1: And Predator now both under the Disney banner after the twentieth Century Fox acquisition, I do think that we will probably get another Alien Predator movie in our time that is more concerned with the Ridley Scott style law because it's just such an enjoy ball match up.
Speaker 2: But you make a good.
Speaker 1: Point that, really, in general, the Predators, I think the reason they focus on humans is because they're not actually that good peoples, Like they could go to the engineers, but instead they're like, oh, I'll just see what happens if I kill a human, Like, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: That's so far?
Speaker 5: Are they?
Speaker 4: Like the predators trophies that they give like humans, it's always like a flintlock, pistol, a spirit? Can I get something from elsewhere in the get like give me an alien weapon?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Could I have?
Speaker 5: I mean anyone?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like could I get something like a gun or something? This is what they can fucking go to.
Speaker 4: But no, they dude, they don't want to give it to you because then you could kill them.
Speaker 2: Because they're not that good.
Speaker 4: They gotta give you, like they're like, make sure you give them weapon that's at least one hundred and fifty years old, or he might be able to take us out.
Speaker 2: See and that's our show. Join us Thursday when we finally.
Speaker 1: Dive deep into the darkness of deep space.
Speaker 2: In Alien Up Episode.
Speaker 4: One by x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 5: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 1: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 4: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.