Speaker 1: I think it's fair to say that I'm not an expert on beauty or cosmetics, but I had a chance racing to sit down with somebody who is an expert, Bobby Brown. She launched an iconic company, Bobby Brown Cosmetics, a number of years ago, and in twenty twenty, she launched another company called Jones Road Beauty. I had a chance to sit down with her recently to talk about all of this and learned a lot more about beauty than I knew before. Or let's talk about the cosmetics world, which is not a world that I'm that familiar with. When you built your initial company, it was, you know, a gigantic success.
Speaker 2: What was it like starting all over again?
Speaker 1: One day You're in a big company, when a big parent, and then you have to start all over again.
Speaker 3: You know, it was really exciting and invigorating.
Speaker 4: I felt like a young kid again when I started Jones Road, and right before we launched, I definitely had a sudden, like you know, like emotion of saying.
Speaker 3: Uh, oh, what if I'm a one hit wonder.
Speaker 4: I was a little scared, but then I just threw it up into the wind and went for it.
Speaker 1: Well, I can understand why you would have called your first company Bobby Brown since that's your name, but Jones Road.
Speaker 2: Where'd that name come from?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I sold the rights to Bobby Brown to Sdi Lauer when we sold the company, so I couldn't use it again. And why would I want to do something that I've done before. So we needed a name because I wanted to launch Jones Road the day my twenty five year non compete was up. It was in twenty twenty, a week before the presidential elections, and so I needed a name and I didn't have one. And I was driving to the Hamptons with my husband. My head was down on ways and I looked down. I saw Jones Road and he said. I said, Jones Road, Beauty. He said, I like it, And that's how it became Jones Road.
Speaker 1: Now, in my business, sometimes I'm familiar with non competes, but I've never really heard of a twenty five year non compete.
Speaker 2: That's unusually long, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't know because when we sold the company and my husband said, the deal is done, However, they want you to sign a twenty five year non compete.
Speaker 3: I was around thirty four years old.
Speaker 4: And I had never heard of a noncompete, let alone thought about a twenty five year one. But I thought to myself, well, it's not a problem because I'm not going to want to work when I'm in my sixties.
Speaker 1: So in the cosmetics world, the giants over the years have been Helena Rubinstein not related to.
Speaker 3: It, right, Let's see Elizabeth Arden.
Speaker 1: Elizabeth Arden, Charles Revsen, Max Factor, let's see who else, Stay Lauder. And these were people that all invented something novel all the time. Yes, and in your case, you kind of invented what would you say?
Speaker 4: I revolutionized natural looking makeup because it was not popular at all. You know where foundations used to be white and then painted in you know, cheek bones and all.
Speaker 3: This artificial color.
Speaker 4: Women looked better when they came in with no makeup than after they had like a full on makeover. So I started making products that were easy to apply and just made you look better, like it was not complicated to me.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about why people put makeup on.
Speaker 4: I personally believe that women wear makeup to feel better. However you choose to wear your makeup, there's many different styles. I think it is such an amazing thing to be able to make yourself look and feel better. So for me, it's the way you feel even more than the way you look, if that makes sense. I like a more natural makeup. There are plenty of makeup brands that cater to women that like a very strong aesthetic that's just not me or Jones Road.
Speaker 3: So it really does depend.
Speaker 1: What age do you think girls or young women should put makeup on. I have a young granddaughter seven. At what age is she going to come and say she needs makeup?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I think that young girls are always love watching their moms put makeup on. They love the colors. I have a three year old granddaughter, Lily is quite good with the lip gloss and puts my miracle bomb on my cheek. Does she wear at a school. No, but it's you know, it's going to be in her blood, so I don't think it's ever a big deal. However, I've written two books about teenage girls, and the only time I ever tell you know, mothers to really pay attention if your kids are doing things like putting black lipstick on and looking you know, goth, you might want to just you know, stop for a minute and check and say you know, are they okay?
Speaker 1: So who is the biggest customer for makeup? Is it women who are let's say, in their teenage years, women in their twenties, their thirties, the forties, the fifties. What age group is the biggest customer for cosmetics?
Speaker 4: Well, I think any woman is a customer for cosmetics of any age. Jones wrote, our target audiences thirty, you know, just in the sixties and some seventies. But I think it is definitely, you know, changing now the big thing are is makeup for young girls.
Speaker 3: I don't understand.
Speaker 4: I don't think seven and eight and nine year old girls should worry about what's in.
Speaker 3: Their skincare products.
Speaker 4: But there's so much on social media now that it's becoming a thing.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about social media.
Speaker 1: Some people say that influencers on social media are driving people to buy the beauty products.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent true?
Speaker 4: But you know the great thing about social media, it's a freeway to market your products. We're back in the day, you know, you had to spend a ton of money and do advertising. In this new world, it's much easier to get your messages out there.
Speaker 3: I wanted to share my three favorite products.
Speaker 4: It's hard to choose. It's like which of my kids do I like best? It depends what day it is.
Speaker 1: Cosmetics and beauty products are sold today. Is it mostly online through Amazon or is it that big retailers like Walmart.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's definitely different distributions. My first brand was in higher end stores. We launched in Bergdorf. Then we were in sacks and Bendels, and by the time I left the company, we had just started opening Macy's doors. And that's how businesses grow is distribution. Jones Road has been following a different playbook. We are direct to consumer. Probably eighty five percent of our business is direct to consumers through our own site, just online, and now we have ten or eleven retail stores. We're in one account department store, Liberty and London.
Speaker 1: Well, some people say that the price of cosmetics and makeup and beauty care products is relatively high because the cost of packaging and the cost of advertising. Is that a big factor in the pricing of your products?
Speaker 3: Not my products, not our products? That is a big factor, you know.
Speaker 4: I come from a brand that spent a lot of money on packaging and marketing, and teams Jones Road is a different playbook. We spend money on marketing, but we don't spend a ton of money on our packaging. Our formula is our top notch, but our packaging is more simple so we can keep the cost down.
Speaker 2: What are your products made.
Speaker 4: They're mostly made in the US, A lot of them in New Jersey. They the pencils, like all cosmetics, pencils are made in Germany. Our brushes are made in Italy. You know, our packaging comes from Asia, not China. Mostly it comes from Taiwan and other places.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about for a moment the business of cosmetics.
Speaker 2: Generally.
Speaker 1: It's a business that's now really largely controlled by large public corporations. I mean, your company's not public yet, but is it mostly the large companies that are doing the business of selling these products.
Speaker 4: It's definitely mostly large companies. And you know, most founders start these businesses for one reason to sell I mean Jones Road, I mean, I never thought about selling Bobby Brown cosmetics until we got you know, Leonard, we had other people call. It was never in my mind that that is something you would do. And so now I know, evench someone the right person will come and honestly, it's like, this is my passion and it's what I do.
Speaker 1: So the trick and makeup is to look like you don't have a lot of makeups.
Speaker 2: Yes, what is the no makeup makeup? Look?
Speaker 4: Well, it's choosing colors that work with your skin tone, that don't make you too pale and don't make you too bright. And if you are someone that is going to wear a little bit of powder on camera, I would probably just give you a.
Speaker 3: Little bit and you're not going to look like you're wearing it. And by the way, it's not supposed to feel like you're wearing it. Who like, look, look at how good you look?
Speaker 1: So people are going to come up to me in the next couple of minutes and say, wow, you look so great.
Speaker 3: Have you been on a vacation? Then I've done my.
Speaker 2: Job, So what am I looking at here?
Speaker 4: This is the famous product that started all this is called Miracle Balm. And what you do it's a skincare and makeup in one And what it is is you dip your finger in it, You take it like this, pat it on your cheeks. It gives you color, it gives you a glow, use it on your neck, you can even use it on your body. Comes in all colors, and this is a miracle to most women because it adds moisture and color to the skin.
Speaker 1: When there's new product, do you have to look at every new product and approve it before it goes out.
Speaker 4: I don't want to call myself a micromanager, but I date the product, I work with the team, I approve, and then I am the one you know a year later that says, uh oh, something shifted, what happened?
Speaker 3: So yes, I am. I am very involved.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about how you got into this business. So were you.
Speaker 3: Born Chicago, Suburbs of Chicago?
Speaker 2: And what did your parents do?
Speaker 3: They were twenty and twenty one when I was born. My dad a lawyer.
Speaker 4: My mom was always a homemaker, and by the time they were twenty five, there were three of us that lived in the house, you know, three three.
Speaker 2: Kids, Okay, And so where'd you go to school?
Speaker 4: I went to Nutrier High School, big high school in the suburbs High Schoolka, Illinois, right Winetka and we'll met. And really, what I think really taught me a lot about life was being around my grandparents. Papa Sam, who came from the Ukraine who came here not knowing anyone. And by the time he was, you know, in his elder years, he was very known in Chicago as Cadillac Sam. He sold cars to all the big guys and some of the gangsters, mayer Lanski, al Capone and work was everything to Papa, followed by his family.
Speaker 3: And so that's really what raised me.
Speaker 1: So you graduated from Neutrier High School, then what'd you do?
Speaker 4: I graduated six months early to follow a boyfriend went to University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh because there was no way I was getting into University University Wisconsin in Madison.
Speaker 3: I didn't have the grades.
Speaker 4: I was there six months and then transferred to University of Arizona with all of my friends from high school because school for me was about fun and not about what I was going to learn. And at the end of the year I told my mom I was going to drop out, and she said, you can.
Speaker 3: You have to go to college. She never did. Mom, it's so boring, and.
Speaker 4: She said, forget about anything, forget what you want to do. If today's your birthday, you could do anything you want to do. What would you want to do? And I said, I don't know, maybe go to Marshall Fields and play with makeup. She said, that's it. Why don't you be a makeup artist? I said, I don't want to go to beauty school. She said, I'm sure there's a college somewhere. And through a friend of my dad's, I found Emerson College in Boston, and they let me design my own major and makeup.
Speaker 3: It's Emerson Emerson, all.
Speaker 2: Right, And so you majored in theatrical makeup.
Speaker 3: Right with a minor in photography.
Speaker 2: That's a very unusual combination.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was my two things I liked, all right.
Speaker 2: So then you graduated? Yes, and then would you do?
Speaker 3: So I got a waitressing job.
Speaker 4: I lied to get the job because I had no experience. And I did that for a year, and then I moved to New York. I didn't know anyone. I opened up the Yellow Pages and looked up makeup models and I just started cold calling people, and somehow I figured out how to put a portfolio together, and I started working as a freelance makeup artist. Really, the main thing I wanted was to be in fashion, so I did a lot of fashion shows. I eventually you did all the magazines I got a Vogue cover. You know, I started to get a name for myself and then lo and behold. While I was working, I also somehow was a frequent guest on Oprah Winfrey to go on there and do makeup, and I became a regular on the.
Speaker 2: Today Show talking about makeup.
Speaker 4: Talking about makeup, which I did for fourteen years. Never once talked about my products or my brand. I was the expert.
Speaker 2: When did you start Bobby Brown Cosmetics?
Speaker 4: Started Bobby Brown Cosmetics when I married my husband and we moved to Montclair, New Jersey, because I didn't want to be in New York City. And then I just had this idea I didn't want to travel anymore for work, because being a freelance makeup artist, you're always on a plane going some exotic place. And I just said, you know, why don't I know, think of something else. I met a chemist at a shoot and told him how much I hated lipstick that was in the market and what I was looking for, and he said, I can make it for you.
Speaker 3: So he did. He made me a.
Speaker 4: Lipstick and I thought, wow, this is like amazing. I bet I could sell it to my friends, to models, and I started doing that.
Speaker 1: So you ultimately started a company which had ten different shades from lipstick right M.
Speaker 4: And I sold him out of my house and my husband would mail them. They didn't even have a box. They were in an envelope, so they were, you know, very indeed. We put the ingredients on a card and started shipping them. And then one day we were at a party and I said, you know, thanked the hostess for inviting us. I had never met her before, and she said she was a fan of mine. I'm like, oh, you know who I am. That's so nice. I said, what do you do? She said, oh, I'm a cosmetics buyer, a Birgdorf Goodman. I said, oh, I sell these cosmetics out of my house. And she agreed to take them and sell them at Burgdorf.
Speaker 1: And the venture capitalist didn't come along and said we'd like a piece of your company and we'll give you some money, or did you just.
Speaker 3: And you know what, we totally financed it ourselves.
Speaker 4: And you know, I didn't know those people back then. We had people reach out to us, you know, when our business started to grow that wanted to buy us. We weren't for sale until we got a call from Leonard latter because I fell madly in love.
Speaker 3: You know, at first sight I.
Speaker 1: Did know Leonard a very impressive person. So he convinced you to sell the company, right.
Speaker 4: I think we were maybe four and a half years in business when we sold the company to Leonard.
Speaker 1: And so when you did that, you kept the name Bobby Brown Cosmetics or did you say.
Speaker 3: Well, they bought it. I mean it was called Bobby Brown Cosmetic.
Speaker 2: It was, but it was still called that Bobby Brown Cosmetics. To say with stay law.
Speaker 4: Now we were the second brand they bought that they didn't make internally. And Leonard's thing was to run everything independently. Everything about Leonard was supporting the founder, supporting the integrity of the brand. When we first joined S. D. Lauder, I'll never forget, they wanted our lipsticks to be made in their lab, and so it was, you know, we started the project and it was terrible. I couldn't recreate them properly. And finally Leonard got involved. He said, absolutely not if you you know, if you do not, if you change them, women are going to know. So note we will work with the lab that makes your lipsticks.
Speaker 1: Well, Bobby Brown Cosmetics, did they sell in the same place at Stay later would sell, which is the big department source.
Speaker 4: Well, when Leonard approached me, we were the number one line in Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf. So we were beating STI Latter's in the store and we did not even have a full line.
Speaker 3: It was it was really a phenomenon.
Speaker 1: So as you worked through Stay Lawder for some twenty plus years, yeah, you were building the brand, building the brand. And now when you left Stay Lauder, you decided to start a new company, right.
Speaker 4: Right, I left s D Latter? Did I quit or get fired? To me, I got fired?
Speaker 2: So why would they fire you?
Speaker 4: Because there was a lot of angst in the year or so before I left, And it's all in my biography so or in my memoir, so it's all out there.
Speaker 3: It was tough.
Speaker 4: I mean, Leonard wasn't as involved, and when you know, in the company and there was a new you know CEO and a new you know, a lot of new things were happening, and it was not a good time at all.
Speaker 3: And so it was it was.
Speaker 4: It was honestly, really tough, and it's the best thing that ever happened to me getting fired.
Speaker 3: If you want to know the truth.
Speaker 1: Okay, So because now you can start your own company once to noncompete, right, yes, but why not say, look, I already conquered the cosmetics world once.
Speaker 2: Why do I have to do it a second time?
Speaker 4: Why I wasn't planning on doing it? Like I didn't you know when it first happened.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: It was twenty two years of having a full calendar, full schedule. Cars follow me around, pr people you know with clipboards, follow me around, and all of a sudden it was gone. I didn't know what it was going to do, and I didn't think I was going to start another cosmetics company.
Speaker 1: If you could give advice to the twenty five year old Bobby Brown, what would the advice be? You wish you had known then something you know now.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't have listened, but I would have told her to chill and relax. It's all going to be fine.
Speaker 1: When you have successful companies, you obviously get some money, and you can have money you can give it away. And are there particular philanthropies or charitable things that you're engaged with.
Speaker 4: Well, we have an organization in our hometown called reaching Out Montclair, our affluent town is not just an affluent town.
Speaker 3: So that's like something.
Speaker 4: And you know, my husband and I have given to all of our colleges. You know, there's a Bobby Brown, Stephen Ploffker, Jym at Emerson. We have something at and at Harvard, and you know, different times we have different philanthropic.
Speaker 1: So you ever go back to Emerson and say, see what you get did for me? I graduated created this big business. Are you very famous graduate? I guess you were one of the more famous graduates.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I actually I do go back and I just went back for a talk when my memoir when I did the Boston the Boston Talk, and it was really we did it in the in the gym, so it was really nice.
Speaker 1: People go into a free standing store to buy cosmetics or beauty products.
Speaker 2: What is the chance they're going to walk out not having bought anything.
Speaker 4: As long as they walk out with a sample that we give them, I'm happy.
Speaker 1: And the markups in this business are still reasonably good. That the margins you'd say, resentably good in the retail products.
Speaker 4: We make sure that we have a good, you know, price point, and we make sure that we have a good profit. I'm one of those weird people I really believe in profit.
Speaker 1: Now your new brand is focused more on I let's say, healthy and wellness to some extent.
Speaker 2: So why is it.
Speaker 1: Healthier to put on Jones Jones Road than Bobby Brown or what's different about it that makes it healthier?
Speaker 4: Well, when I started Jones Road, I was on my own, you know, path to really being the healthiest version of myself. So I went back to school my degree as a health coach. I started only eating organic when I can, and I started cleaning up you know what chemicals are in my products. And when I finally decided to really try to create a new beauty product, I was not going to do a traditional product. I really was curious if it was even possible to create something out of clean because the market has had shifted where women wanted clean makeup. So I didn't do it because I didn't believe in traditional I did it because I didn't know if it was possible to do and I proved that it was.
Speaker 1: And can you tell if they're wearing one of your products?
Speaker 4: Usually if there's a nice and a highlight on the cheek, I could you know? And I know, And often people come up to me and they like you know, point to something and say Dusty Rose sun.
Speaker 2: Kissed, and you say buy more.
Speaker 3: No, I'd say great.
Speaker 1: So today, if I wanted to start a company, I wanted to be Bobby Brown and I want to start a cosmetics company, what would you recommend that I do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: First of all, there's nothing easy in life in general. But if you're a kid that is just coming out of college or even business school, I'd say go work for someone for a year, you know, go really like learn what you can before you start something, and maybe start ideating and thinking what your company would be before you decide to do it. Don't start with the deck and investment like people make that mistake.
Speaker 3: Start with a product.
Speaker 1: So today, if you are going to build this company out, is it your goal to ultimately find another Esday lauder or to take it public or just keep it private owned by the family.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know. I you know, I'm sixty eight years old. It's been five years. You know, the business is growing. We do get a lot of calls from probably people that you have lunch and dinners with. We're self funded. I don't need any money. We have enough cash in the bank to do what we want.
Speaker 3: To do, you know, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Know what's going to happen in the future. I'm not opposed to the right situation on something. I just don't know what it is, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: And do you try to expand your products outside the United States at this point or is it too small right now to go outside the United State?
Speaker 4: No, we are available in Canada, we are available in the UK, and now we're available in Europe, so.
Speaker 3: You know, not freestanding stores yet.
Speaker 4: I really want a freestanding store in London because that's one of our biggest markets.
Speaker 1: So what are the most important beauty secrets you would give to somebody?
Speaker 2: Two or three beauty secrets?
Speaker 4: Well, I would say, first of all, worry about your inside more than your outside.
Speaker 3: Take care of your health.
Speaker 4: Number two is worry about your skin. Don't smoke, wear sunscreen, and third just wear makeup so it just makes you look better.
Speaker 3: End a story.
Speaker 2: Now, did your parents live to see your success?
Speaker 4: My father, Yes, my father is still alive. My dad's ninety.
Speaker 3: He has proven how proud he is of me.
Speaker 4: He's told me and he just he always says, I know you're not done, and I know I'm going to keep hearing things.
Speaker 1: So if you could give advice to the twenty five year old Bobby Brown, what would the advice be? You wish you had known then something you know now.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't have listened, But I would have told her to chill and relax.
Speaker 3: It's all going to be fine.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't have listened because I still haven't figured out how to chill and relax now.
Speaker 1: Presumably the most important thing in life is personal happiness, which is also the most elusive thing in life. So as a result of having built these companies, I assume you're personally very happy with what you're doing now.
Speaker 4: I'm so incredibly lucky because I'm married thirty seven years. I still adore my husband. I have three sons, two grandkids. We are, you know, all very close, and you know, I have not only old friends, I have new friends, people I've just met.
Speaker 3: So I feel very very happy.
Speaker 4: And my you know, Jones Road is a very young team, but they're my new posse.
Speaker 1: Well, you're young to worry about legacies, But what would you like your legacy.
Speaker 2: To ultimately be?
Speaker 4: You know, I hope my legacy will be that I was there to help people feel good. About themselves and teach people how to be confident because I've figured out the secret of confidence. All it is is feeling comfortable in your skin.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to hear more of my interviews. You can subscribe and download my podcast on Spotify, Apple, or wherever you listen.