Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Anthony dor set De, Montrey More and New.
Speaker 3: He scrugs.
Speaker 4: It is time for the Players Lounge Here as we ended getting ready to enter the bi week for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Anthony Dorsett is here.
Speaker 4: We've got mister forth and Long in the house, Jesse Holly in the house.
Speaker 3: He's here. I merely knew.
Speaker 4: He scrugs and carry on the conversation. This show has brought to you buy Aristocrat Gaming. So Players launds a little bit different today. Church is out doing church things. It's the only he.
Speaker 3: Can do rich people stuff. When you when you're gifted the bag from shod Con, you should do that. Yes, So that.
Speaker 5: Shot Con and Jerry Jones Mary picked up two bags.
Speaker 3: In Church, Church's mind, it is all shod Con.
Speaker 2: That's how That's how he explained.
Speaker 4: Hey, look man, shot Con and the owner of the jaguarshers blessed many a person, blessed many a person. They've been so bad that he just you get you get it mad. You're right right, Oprah, we we oprah. We know we have to pay you extra to come down here. So and so you know I'm not mad at church. Baby, go ahead do that thing. So shot, con I just admabe you should say that, man, Holiday call it every year.
Speaker 3: Hey, I just want you, but thank you.
Speaker 2: I hope you do it well for sure, sames my life. Yes, generationally yes.
Speaker 4: So all right, now that you've had an opportunity to digest it, I'll start with you, Anthony door scept your thoughts.
Speaker 3: On Quinn Williams being here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: A difference making football player definitely a need in this building.
Speaker 2: And it couldn't It didn't have to just be Quinn Williams. It just needed to be a difference maker on defense. But my whole thing is now with this is like what actually is going to be salvaged with the rest of the season. Now, it's a good thing that he's still in the contract with He has like three years left on his deal, so it's not a temporary thing here. He's actually going to be here. But looking at it, I'm just looking at the structure of it, where what are they three five and one at this point. Sure, you know, so I don't know mathematically, you know, and and still being second in the division, fortunately for them with this division being so weak, but mathematically, I don't know what that's actually going to be able to do as far as like getting through the playoffs and getting into the playoffs and everything else like that. Hopefully he comes in it has that impact that you talk about, but you know, it was definitely in need here, but it just seems like it's too late. You give up a first round pick and the second round pick, you still don't have a pass rush when you have Michaeh Parsons in here. I think you still might have had a first round pick. You probably could have kept Micah here and still gone out and get Quinning. You might not have been able to pay both of them, but there was a possibility for something like that to happen. And once again we're still talking about no pass rush. We got a great run stopper, but I read coming in here outside in the hallway that he's like the ranked the last d tackle when it comes to pass rush, where he's number one when it comes to run.
Speaker 3: Un stuff, run stuff, tied at fourteen.
Speaker 4: All right, So picking up just on what you said there, and here's a challenge for where the Cowboys are just looking in terms of losses, because a lot of the losses have.
Speaker 3: Been right here in the NFC.
Speaker 4: So you lost to the Eagles, NFC, You lost to the Bears NFC. You lost of the Packers NFCI. I'm sorry, yeah, you're tied, tied, Todd, you tied the Packers, thank you. You lost to the Commander, I mean the Carolina Panthers. Carolina Panthers. You beat the Commanders, and then you lost to Arizona. So some teams that could be right there when you're talking in terms of those playoff matches, you've lost to them and they really don't have much, you know, leeway along the way with the rest of the.
Speaker 3: Schedule, which is after the bye week.
Speaker 4: Raiders, Eagles, Chiefs, Lions, Vikings, Chargers, Commanders, Giants. All right, Jesse, you give me your thoughts on Quinn Williams. That's the big trade, the big the big Cahounan.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: The trade itself was a phenomenal trade. I think this is one of the guys that we've been chasing since Jay Ratliffe in my opinion, you haven't had a physical guy in the middle of this defense, uh since Jay Ratliff, And some will say, look, you know, Leroy Glover, you they're going, you know, back to that. This was we had to get now for tomorrow. I don't think this season is salvagable, right, but you go when you get a player that, now you can see him in this unit for the second half of the season, and.
Speaker 3: What a good.
Speaker 5: GM would do and say, Okay, we have him, Let's see how he looks with these guys, and now how do we build around it?
Speaker 2: Gotcha?
Speaker 5: How do we start building it around it? Because look across the league at the good defenses in this league, you need to have A players, not eight, but eight A plus players, and then you surround them with a couple of bees over here, a couple of seeds over here, you know what I mean. Maybe high the f if he's over there somewhere. But but the better part of it is I have layers of different level players and then when I put them together, the a's make the bes go higher, the bees make the seeds go higher. And now we're flirting around it being top fourteen thirteen to twelve defense.
Speaker 4: And I know what my offense is going to be. So let me ask this question to both. Y'll start with you, Jesse is Quinn Williams now the best player on this defense, hands down, not even close with our question, not even close.
Speaker 2: Yea, it's not even argument. I think that Cloud only played his best game that he's played last week. If you watched the if you watched the video Clowney showed up, you said the ads, you made some good plays and everything else like that on defense. But when it comes to that difference maker that you talked about, this this is definitely the difference maker. He's number one on if.
Speaker 5: You're looking at elite players, like if the level is elite, he's the closest thing to the elite ceiling. And I don't think there's a lot of other jokers who are even on the same floor. So he's the closest. When you talk about position wise, I mean he's top five at that position. You look at, it's Quinnen, It's it's Sexy Dexy, it's Jones, Kansas City, Jeffrey Simmons.
Speaker 3: And it's one more that I'm missing.
Speaker 5: I can't uh an interior dude, but he's in that conversation.
Speaker 4: Right right when you when you when you when you bump, Phillips used to say, if his name make the head of the class, didn't go take long to call the role the cover right right right, He's there, Okay, he's he's on the metal state.
Speaker 3: He's right there. Okay.
Speaker 4: So if Quinn Williams is your best player, who is your second best player on defense.
Speaker 2: Right now, You're gonna have to go. Probably it's gonna be up front. It's gonna be Kenny Clark. And if it's not Kenny, if it's not going to be him, it's going to be the line the linebacker today bringing in because like right now, what we've seen on the defense side of the ball, like everybody is struggling at every position right now, you know, So.
Speaker 5: To me, right now, it's not even as a Rocco, here's a second blessed defensive player.
Speaker 4: So just all right, if you take as a Roku and you take Kenny Clark, at least you can say, if you're mad ebraflues, now I have the formations of what it could possibly be a defensive line as you go the rest of the way. That could help because because so much we saying, how can you help as a ROCU getting better as you know, a rookie. You guys know in this league, man, the toughest year you have is that first one because you don't know what you're getting into.
Speaker 2: He's I mean, like watching him on a video, he's still he's still learning. He's highly athletic, first of all, you can recognize that. And he's strong, you know, at the point of attack. But I don't think that so far that his play has equal the numbers have equal the amount of play, if what I'm saying. So like, he's made plays, but he hasn't made that many big impact plays yet.
Speaker 3: All right, So so you got that, and that's just moving forward.
Speaker 4: As I'm trying, I'm trying to be a positive in a really you look at the schedule a non positive situation here. I think this year is lost. But as you're going forward, you've got what is the plan? How do you start to use these guys? Figure it out right now, figure out the rest of the half of the year what you have so you know, going into free agency and what's left in the draft where you plug these holes to try to get yourself better next year. And it sounds as though Matt eber Flus will be back because Jerry did his radio show yesterday said he made a mistake and having three defensive coordinators over there straight years.
Speaker 5: Which by the way, wasn't totally Jerry's fault, right because and then here's why, here's why, here's why. And trust me, I'm not the one that's gonna that's gonna put the cape on for Jerry. You were losing down dan Quinn unless you made him your head coach.
Speaker 3: That was happening.
Speaker 5: He went and got a head coaching job. He didn't leave on another DC job. He went to become a head coach. So unless you were planning on flying Mike at that time, Mike Michael from Pittsburgh, dan quit was going right then when you had Zim, Zim made it very clear, I want to be a head coach. I'm not working for this kid. What do you have to do. So it wasn't as if the DC's had a choice. They had a choice, but it wasn't like Jerry. His choice was make them the head coach or lose them. Okay, so let me so that that's two of them, right, Like, So now, Matty Ebra Flew's different story.
Speaker 3: Here's where I'll counting.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Dan Quinn left, Joet Junior told me he wanted the job. He was already in the building. Yeah, he's here. He was with Q when they put in the pieces. He knew what to do, but they didn't want to give him a job.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Another guy who was here in the building eight and dirty right now, he's the defensive coordinator of Seattle.
Speaker 3: I damn good team. I've got too.
Speaker 4: I think everybody's sitting there saying hmmm wow. So you had two guys with institutional knowledge of the organization and you said no. I heard some people say, well, you know, Jerry doesn't like first time coordinators.
Speaker 3: Really, I'm sorry. What was Kellen Moore? What was Jason Garrett? What was Brian Stewart? We've seen this happen before. You brought in Mike Zimmer. My issue with Adi've heard me say it on the Players hundred four.
Speaker 4: You brought in a dude who wins with big people up front, You got little people. You got a guy that you know and you like, but you're not giving him the pieces that he needs. Meanwhile, you passed on two guys who knew and understood the pieces.
Speaker 3: So Mike Country to you was just Jerry. He could have stayed in house.
Speaker 4: You look at San Francisco, Demiko Rance takes over coordinator, then he goes to become a head coach. I mean you have Salah, the Sala left, the Demico took over. I mean they just kept on fuling people who knew what.
Speaker 5: And that's how most organizations do it.
Speaker 3: Ding ding ding.
Speaker 5: Well, they said, Belichick kept bringing you played with Beltry. I mean, look look at Detroit. Try's like, we ain't gonna go to the building the next game. You up your turn. Next guy up. That's how you build a tree, right, That's how you begin to build your trees. Right, all right, next guy up?
Speaker 4: You played at Carolina. You know what it is we're teaching you. Absolutely, you played in it, You've been around it. Hey, you coach, you coaching it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: So yeah, absolutely, I'm just saying for those guys, it wasn't like he pushed those the head guys like the DC's out. Now to your point, yes, he won one hundred percent. Could have went inside. Now, there may be some other things that's deeply rooted in that don't know, right, don't know. The one thing that I've kind of noticed there's been a little bit of a trend with Jerry and hired at least on the defensive side.
Speaker 3: Maybe a lot of times if he.
Speaker 5: Ain't your friend or he ain't really familiar with you, I don't think he really want to take that shot. That's that's been where and wrong or right. That's just feels like the trend that he works with. If I'm going to hire a coordinator or you know, if this head coach doesn't come in and have is the coordinator of that particular side. You know, with Wade, he was a defensive coordinator, right, so like Jason, he became an officer. If you're not like this with the Jones family or Jerry Jones in some of those instances, you get overlooked.
Speaker 3: But they didn't know Dan Quinno.
Speaker 2: It's it's hard to say, like what it is because of ads, Like you've been in the building, You've been in the building for a long time. Me watching from the outside all the time, I'm like, is the point of emphasis not on the defense at all? You know? Yeah, no, And it's clear and it has been clear for a number of years.
Speaker 5: Defense don't sell tickets.
Speaker 2: Hey, but defense wins championships.
Speaker 5: Defense don't sell teach and I understand.
Speaker 2: So, like the game has definitely changed to a high high scoring point and game and everything else like that, but you still had to have somebody out there. If you go on blow for blow, I guess you could say who gets the ball last? Whoever getting the ball last? On offense, that defense is going to have to know how to stop somebody, you know. And at this point, you know, it goes back to what I said weeks ago. I've never seen a big name linebacker in here. I've never seen the face of the defense be like some dude who is like like a London Fletcher, like like Bobby Wagner. You don't. You don't see those type of guys in the middle of this defense here.
Speaker 3: That goes back to Jimmy Johnson's philosophy.
Speaker 4: Jimmy has basically, I'm putting my putting, my picks and my money up from the front end.
Speaker 3: In the back end.
Speaker 4: That was how Jimmy did. I'll fill in the middle with guys. I mean, I think when Jimmy was here, they use a first rounder on Robert Jones out of East Carolina, but after that they really didn't. And even when they brought in Kenny Norton, they let him go. They drafted Kenny and maybe second, second or third round, but then you know, when it's trying to pay him, they let him go and he went to San Francisco and won that Super Bowl twenty nine with the forty nine ers. But but that's never been their deal in terms of paying a guy. Now, they did draft Lake Van de sh so they used on him. He's a second rounder on Sean Lee, but and unfortunately they paid Sean. Sean just stayed hurt.
Speaker 2: Both of these dudes out the league because of injuries. You know, they never they never materialized to be drafted.
Speaker 4: Bruce Carter Cruse Carter from Carolina was second, another guy who had injury. So uh with Jams Smith, David Smith, you know, another guy with injury. So so they used they've used high picks on him, not really first a lot of the times there were just some issues.
Speaker 3: But no, there's never been a hey.
Speaker 4: Man, we about to go draft junior, sayout man to come in here be a lot, but that's not that's not that.
Speaker 2: And so there's no and so like we said, this week's ago. There's no identity to this defense, and that there has not been one in years.
Speaker 3: But if you change coordinators every year, how can you get in that?
Speaker 2: Do you know what it's about the guys that are in the locker room. It goes back to that, like you could change coordinators. And I understand, like if we're building a three to four and we got to have these type of dudes and we're building structurally like big, big guys, But at the same time you're going out there and you're finding big guys that play football, you're not finding big system guys. You know, That's not what I'm looking for as as a I'm looking for somebody that if anything happens, this dude can get to the ball, he can play football, and it doesn't matter what scheme he's in.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a break.
Speaker 4: I want to go back to what you're saying right here, Anthony Door said, because there was once a philosophy going along with what you're talking about, but they went away from it. I'll remind everybody who brought the philosophy and what it was when we come back on players lines right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: Hey, They're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed Aristocrat, a PROWN sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gamb l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 7: Crown Royal and the Dallas Cowboys are bringing back the Royal Rig for season two. See it in action at at and T Stadium on Thanksgiving Day where the Dallas Cowboys take on the Kansas City Chiefs, and around Dallas on November twenty sixth and November twenty eighth. Visit Crownrooyal dot com to see where else the Royal Rig is stopping this NFL season. That's Crownrooyal dot com. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Jack Black and Right.
Speaker 6: Now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized.
Speaker 3: Intense therapy lipball.
Speaker 6: Make a play for the at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's Get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: Returning for the twenty twenty five NFL season, Boss reunites with the Dallas Cowboys that drop the next chapter of their iconic collaboration. The Boss Cowboys collection fuses fashion and football, once again, capturing the fearless spirit of what it means to be your own boss. Just in time for kickoff. Gear up and standout styles that show your team pride with a bold edge. Available now at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo, Boss Hugo, Boss dot Com and Boss retail stores. Hashtag be your Own Boss.
Speaker 1: Back to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 4: Celebrate the season in Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza power by Reliant at the Star and Frisco.
Speaker 3: Join the Cowboy Organization.
Speaker 4: Every Friday and Saturday night from November twenty first through December twenty four and electrifying holiday performance. For details, visit the Star District dot com. We were talking about it yesterday. It is a fantastic show. Anthony Dorsett has been there taking his son out there to catch at show.
Speaker 3: Jesse Holly, have you been out there yet?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: I have done? Okay, I'm tell you right now. Man, it's good show. Man's free. I know it fits the Holly.
Speaker 5: Jesse Holly, Yeah, yeah, you're talking about it. Talk about a philosophy. I can tell you philosophy. If it's free, it's for me exactly, all right, I fit the Jesse Holly philosophy.
Speaker 4: Former Cowboy Jesse Holly, here, I'm new. We strutch by the way, we skip before we get back to the football Carolina basketball. He was right about homeboy from Europe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 5: Come on now, I think I think you forgot something going down there.
Speaker 3: I need it.
Speaker 5: Danguary third would be they'll be here Danuary third.
Speaker 2: Really that's North Carolina a sec right, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: What time? It's a night game? Flying back in.
Speaker 5: All right, Pete, I'll beat That's what I go get get the credictionals going past right right right right right. Yea, we setting up a nice little dinner now because you got a bunch of guys.
Speaker 3: You got Mac Tar's here by loved me back to mac.
Speaker 5: In Jiji.
Speaker 3: Well you talk about that.
Speaker 4: You ever see that that that skit that Eddie Murphy did on on Chappelle's Show, and it was it was a real life story with Eddie Murphy's truth. I mean, Charlie Murphy. I'm sorry, Charlie Mury, Charlie Murphy's real story. Let me get Rick James mac Tar should have one man where Mac Tar just sit around here and tell you stuff he's seen in the league and stuff. Well, I tell mac Tar got stories he does he does story man. Yeah, it's not the Happy Birthday to Jerry Stockhouse too, Today's birthday Stack. Okay, yeah, we got we got a nice little I'm Prittley's.
Speaker 3: In North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Man, People like joke around and they talk about like when you hear the stories of like Stack, like Stack ain't want to be he ain't wanted to be trifle with, like Stack ain't want to be trifle with, like like.
Speaker 2: Sta.
Speaker 4: I hate for Jerry that I was there covering the maps when they went to the finals and No. Six and Jerry was on that team and they were up two, they were up two oh on Miami had beat Miami two oh that season and in Game three they're up thirteen with six minutes to go and end up blowing that game and then lost four straight. I hate the stack never got a ring with the tar Heels or in the NBA, because he was definitely a player worthy of it.
Speaker 3: If Jerry Stackhouse made FeelA look good.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jerry, he was one of He was one of my He was one of my favorite players at one point in time. He was a baller, you know. And North Carolina just got I mean, y'all, y'all got hoop history. I mean, everybody's gonna think about Jordan, but I mean it's it's it's it's names to go way beyond Jordan. You know what I'm saying. And if you're a true basketball fan, so shout out to you bro that that right, there is some history and it's a great.
Speaker 5: Dron Blank gave me flashbacks on Saturday though, Phil Real, Ralph Jerry, Phil Real just forget it against.
Speaker 4: Not five stop stop Lee five and Loan Charlotte stone Man West Charlotte's home man Jeff mcinnon. But going back Lenny Rosebluth Man back back there in the fifty seventeen to beat Wilf Chamberlain double overtime win Na's championship man.
Speaker 3: A lot of history, history, A lot of history, man, a lot of history. I love me se Carolina basketball.
Speaker 4: So all right, by the way, Jesse Holly played there playing the national championship team won all two thousand and five. Be the very very good Illinois team led by Darren Williams.
Speaker 3: That come a good team.
Speaker 4: So Anthony Dorris said, we're talking about the Cowboys, and you were talking about, you know, the kind of players and so.
Speaker 3: You know, a philosophy.
Speaker 4: When Bill Parcells got here as head coach man, he went to them and he talked about first thing he wanted. He wanted guys who were captains, guys who loved football.
Speaker 3: They didn't want troublemakers. He had guys at a team no time for that.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 3: He wanted guys who was serious.
Speaker 4: And so that's where they started drafting people like Swago Marcus Spears, national champion in LSU who played for played for Nick Savan They went out there and drafted to Kevin Burnett, who was a captain at the University of Tennis. He drafted adjacent Whitt and they started drafting these kind of dudes.
Speaker 3: That fit what Bill wanted.
Speaker 4: Their football players are about that life and they were already leaders where they were at, Dudes that he ain't had to sit around here worry about. They won a bunch of knuckleheads out there, and those guys were good. He had substance, not flashed and sizzle. He wasn't drafting to Randy Gregory. Okay, Randy Gregory would have come around.
Speaker 3: Bill Parcells was here. That's what he was looking for.
Speaker 4: DeMarcus Ware, you know, Terrence Newman, who he didn't want but he ended up.
Speaker 3: You know, that was his kind of guy.
Speaker 4: Dad Wyn who was already hed he want that win, but he said, okay, this he caught that a football playing guy. They played the kind of football that he won. Parcels left. They got away from it. You don't see those kinds. You see the Randy Gregory's of the world. You see the Mazzie Smiths of the world.
Speaker 3: You know, a guy like.
Speaker 4: Mazzie Smith who was traded to New York. You have to identify that. You have to identify, dude, do you like this or not?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: There's one critique that I have about Jerry Jones, and sometimes when it comes to the evaluation of certain things is I get the process of group think. I understand that, but I also under like I don't need everybody's opinion.
Speaker 3: I don't Rod Marinelli, I don't prime example, Rod Marynell coaching like correct like Tristan Hill. He's like, I want Tristan Hill.
Speaker 4: So Tristan Hill was a Group five guy UCF, and his last year there they basically the coaching staff was tired of him, so he wasn't starting. It was up and down, and the coaching staff was led by Josh Heipel who's now at Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Well, if a dude is at UCF.
Speaker 4: And it's spotty and he's not playing, you're not using the second round pick on it. But what they did they decided to go ahead and go to Scott talk to Scott Frost who left the Nebraska Scott Frout. But I liked the guy man, that was all good. So you did that then Mary Nelly, Hey, I like Taco Charleton. Can he fit the scheme over TJ.
Speaker 2: Watt.
Speaker 4: And if you go out to what Parcels was doing. Parcels look at a guy like TJ. Watt and said, well, that was the Big Ten defensive player of the year. Guy been balling every year, He's been got pedigree. He come from them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And I think that that's the part where it's like, let your scouts do what they do best, right Like, you know, hey, coach, what type of player are you looking for? Right now? Coach? Okay, you know I write this down. Okay, he wants this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy cool.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 5: Then let Will and his staff deploy them out to go and find a guy. But when you when you start allowing everybody to have a voice in this situation, you get Taco Chalcon, you get uh, you get players that you can't, you get a Masi Smith, you get these type of collaborations. Yeah, And that's like that's the one thing at times, like as much as Jerry has this alpha mentality about certain things, and you know, I'm the GM and I'm gonna make the I don't you need a group collaboration on certain things when you play for the Raiders is mister Davis a collaborator.
Speaker 2: Ad was gonna make that call, and he didn't care who had what to say about it and who didn't like it, or if they did like it. It was gonna be he was gonna make that final call regardless. And you know, like you talk about the evaluation process here, one of the things that I've always noticed and I've always thought is like, and I've said this before, everybody's viewing through the same binoculars regardless if you're getting if you're not taking the advice from over here or taking it from over there. Like at the end of the day, it's nobody honestly saying like, I ain't seeing what you're seeing. See, And that's what needs to be said. It's been too much tiptoeing around this building and instead of beating around the bush, sometimes you gotta go straight through it. And that's one of the things that has not been done here, at least on the defensive side of the ball anyway. You know, the accountability that when it comes to like when I hear these dudes talk about you know, I was here with this coach, and I was here with that coach and this was going on and that was going well. Damn. Like when you recognize that and you part of it, you got to be part of the change.
Speaker 5: But that's the thing is that you're bringing people in here or that doesn't that don't come from a pedigree, that don't come in here, Like you're not you're not bringing Ray Lewis in here, who has spent twelve years in the Baltimore Ravens organization. I remember a couple of years ago, this might have been maybe five six years ago, tell Us Benett brother Michael Bennett. Yes, Michael Bennett came in here, and Michael Bennett was here for thirteen seconds, two seconds and was the leader because he came and it was like wait, this dude just got here, and he's like, man, what the what are y'all doing? Yeah, you know what I'm saying. That was somebody who came from something and knew what it took to win it all. And when he got here, the dudes who were supposed to be your leaders here, they tucked that tail and he was telling them like man and that. But what ended up happening was.
Speaker 4: He got he was the outcast because the large majority of the group looked at.
Speaker 3: Him, like what you're doing all right?
Speaker 5: And so so that's the type of mentality that you have to get in here. And you don't have enough of those guys in here. You don't have enough of I love football dudes in here. You have enough. You have a lot of dudes in here who like football, who like what football brings. You don't have enough lovers of the game like And that's a that's a that's a very distinct difference. And I know people say, well that Prences's that's a great leader. That's not going to the other side of the defense. He worried about his side of the ball, right, Like he might say some things here and there, But there's not enough of those guys in this organization. When you're talking about the guys of those nineties teams, right that tells me. Nate tells me all the time. Like Nate was like when Charles Haley came over, he was like the say Tod Nate said, Man, I think you're a really good player, he said, but I watched you the first on field, first six game in the season, you were good. The last seven games of the season, you were trash. You know why, you fat? Slowing out of shape. He was like, we ain't gonna win if you if you are starting whatever, and you that way, we ain't gonna never win. And you and you and you and you and you and you.
Speaker 3: And now everybody started getting in the line. Right now. You had a bunch of people.
Speaker 5: Jimmy brought a bunch of people in here that loved the game of football. There's a lot of people in this world. There's not enough people on this football team, from player number one to play number fifty three.
Speaker 4: There was also fear loss when Jimmy was here. Yes, guys knew that you could get cut. Jimmy would tell you, I'm drafting your replacement. So so guys knew.
Speaker 2: What was up.
Speaker 3: In the Garrett Ears.
Speaker 4: There wasn't that people had jobs, come to camp, had a job. I remember what year, man, it was like day two they gave Romo day off, day two.
Speaker 3: What do we do? It's day two or three? Said what are we doing?
Speaker 4: And and so you just saw there was no there was no fight for jobs. It's just you know, it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was. But it's the same culture here, and it's just different faces and different names. It's the same culture.
Speaker 4: And yeah, so guys know where they can doing end around on certain certain areas and get what they want done. But and I go back to the thing of what we're talking about. Man, there's there's a lot of style.
Speaker 3: But substance. It's a challenge.
Speaker 4: It's a challenge when we're talking about what is the substance of things and where they go what they need to do around here. But they at least have got an elite player now on defensive.
Speaker 5: And here's the thing about quinn though, right like he comes he brings elite talent. I don't know if Quinnin brings elite leadership.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't want to question his leadership. But he's coming from the Jets organization. He's coming from a very dysfunctional organization. Right, So what you what you hope is is that he brings a level of work ethic word right like, that he brings a level of work ethic that's contagious and that he can say, hey, listen, I was considered one of the best or a part of one of the best defenses in the league because of X, Y and Z.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But again, it becomes difficult when it's just one guy, and I got thirteen, fourteen, twenty other guys who do it the opposite way.
Speaker 2: Can cannot bring up an example of something real quick.
Speaker 4: What I want to do. Let to hold under that all right? What was on Professional teas right there, So we're gonna go deeper with it. He d's about to give us some of that player insight. That's what we do here on the Players now, it's Jesse Howley. Anthony Door said on new e Scrace. This is the Players that I brought you by Aristocrat Gaming on dallascabboys dot com.
Speaker 9: Life is a workout, and Smoothie King is here to help you power through, whether you're maxing out overhead presses, push them through chest flies, or being the hero your golden retriever needs to carry them over that scary bridge. Smoothie King has the fuel to help you go all out, build muscle and boost your recovery with forty five grams of protein, zero grams of added sugar, and delicious customizable ingredients and the Gladiator Smoothie available in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla only at Smoothie King.
Speaker 3: Hey, they're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem.
Speaker 6: Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 10: It's game day and raising canes. If you want to order like a chap, it's action off the field.
Speaker 2: You need to focus on.
Speaker 10: The only play you're running is chicken. So what condo are you picking? Make it a perfect season. We've got tailgates of hand battered cook to order, chicken fingers and cane sauce, and jugs of freshly made tea and lemonade, all available to order online are on our app fat This season is about to be unbeatable, Raising Cain's chicken fingers.
Speaker 11: One love, Hey Cowboy fans, Keith Davis here, former Cowboys safe Keith Davis.
Speaker 3: After they also you know.
Speaker 11: What separ race hampon from the rest, making the right move at the right moment. The Blockchain dot Com that's never been easy. The Cowboys became America's team by striking the bold when it mattered most. Now it's your turn. EVST like your icons with blockchain dot Com. Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys today to get started and learn more. That's Blockchain dot Com Slash Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back to the players Lounge.
Speaker 4: Capture frame worthy holiday photos with Santa at the Star presented by Monument Realty. Santa will be spreading holiday cheer from November twenty first all the way through Christmas Eve.
Speaker 3: For more information and to.
Speaker 4: Book your visit, head to the Star District dot Com slash Center. All right, you are in the player's Lounge, brought to you by a Risk Scratt Gaming Jesse Holly in here today, got Anthony Dorsett on Newly Scruggs. Both these gentlemen play the National football I just saw some breaking news here Kyler Murray placed on I R with a foot injury.
Speaker 3: H hmm, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: So you can play the Cowboys. All of a sudden, they're like, you know what, you can sit out for a little bit got.
Speaker 4: It deal yea, but he get healed up, buddy, right, which which you know what, But I'm hearing a lot of talk out of some people in Arizona, stay about Tay about tider Colin. This this was I was gonna say, right there, this is the smartest thing. Okay, we talking about Hey man, we get job backed.
Speaker 3: The kid just balked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the cowboys helped him out. But how what's the best way to not bench Kyler Murray and calls any.
Speaker 3: It Maybe you need to get healed. Yeah, you know, trying to rush you. Man, you got this contract, long career, and.
Speaker 5: Collin sits like color is he is emotionally fragile, Like he's a fragile dude, Like mentally you start to you know, he's like, don't yell.
Speaker 9: Let me.
Speaker 5: I can't take you yell. And I can't take being you know, I always lie when they had the gaming clause in his contract and then no we didn't have Yes you did, yes, you did that.
Speaker 3: That didn't just you didn't.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 3: That ain't the oops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, you're right, you're right, right, But but so so it's this very interesting guy after you know, Bressett looked like, you know, black Tom Brady here at ATC standing say, man, you and if the head coach you out again, you're you're you're you're against it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you lost four straight, you lost the home to Tennessee.
Speaker 4: You look bad in and find you one hundred grand, you up against you trying to win and rally your troops. And so I wouldn't be going to Kyler Murray found him. I trust Jacoby Brissett. My tidend looks like he's lethal that because Brisett's finding the ball now, Marvin Harrison's out here balling.
Speaker 3: I know it's the Cowboys. They make it my career. David Hey see if he can do it again.
Speaker 4: But yeah, putting Kyler, that's no coincidence. Ain't no coincidence right there, because you guys both played in the league.
Speaker 3: If you hurt and ain't need you, you're good. You're good.
Speaker 2: Tell clear clearly.
Speaker 5: The drugs they got good drugs and drugs in them training rules.
Speaker 3: They want you out there, Yeah, they want you out there. They put you out there.
Speaker 4: So okay, Anthony Dorse said you had a had you're ready to lay it on us here right before with break.
Speaker 3: So I want to make sure you had time to breathe and get it out there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so before we went to break it was the whole thing about building teams and having guys to say, come from some type of winning program and being able to I guess you could say kickstart your program too as well if they coming to the Cowboys from a super Bowl team. And you always see at the end of the year with whoever goes to Super Bowl, whether win or lose, those teams get dismantled because everybody wants a little piece of whatever that that that that culture was that they had to win and get to the get to the super Bowl. Now being a part of being in Tennessee, all right, and I could I could truly tell you that that like my first three years there, we were basically an average team. Okay, we went a and eight if we did, you know, maybe nine, but we never got passed, never got to the playoffs, and there was never anything going on like that. All right, So we build this team and of course we got a bunch of dudes on the team that Jesse talks about that love to play football, all right, But at the same time we were a highly competitive team that was when the teams that like, I don't know if it probably never went on here, but dudes were getting in fights in individual meeting rooms. All right, Yeah, that's how competitive it was. Okay. But it was one of those things where you had so many vets on the team that they wasn't afraid to call nobody out like Charles Haley, you know, and let you know like, hey, this is I ain't asking this from you because I want this from you. This is what we need from you for us to be able to be successful and win. Okay, So going to the Raiders, right, Raiders hadn't been to the Super Bowl playoffs and now don't know how many years before I got there, But I'm coming off the Super Bowl and that's all I know, and that's all I'm thinking about, right, So get out there many camps and everything else like that, and I start preaching it. Then hey, look, let's start getting this in our heads right now about trying to get to the postseason and da da da da. And in the beginning, it was dudes out there sucking at like they didn't want to hear, right, right, and so like, but every day I stayed with it. Okay, and so finally one day somebody did something and I was like, look, man, whoever doing that? Just stay out here with me after practice. Reagan upshaw name that y'all might remember, might not remember, d Lineman. Reagan stands up and was like, yeah, anybody got a problem with this right here we're trying to build. Stay out here and let's talk about it. And then from there it start to filter through guys, all right. And it just didn't go from like me to this guy. It went through groups, okay, and then the accountability amongst ourselves became to like, hey, look, I'm not trying to go home in January first, all right, I don't want to see that. So what do we have to do amongst ourselves to change this culture? Whether it be just keep talking about it or put the work in to do it. And we eventually were able to do both. And so I say that to say, you know, like granted, I had come from just fresh out the Super Bowl, but at the same time, like I wasn't part of no big program, We hadn't had all these years of winning or anything else like that. It was just the spirit that I had about me as that pit. We went six and five every year? Did I want to go six and five every year?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: But it's what happened. But was was I not in a champion mindset? Had I not been raised by a dude who has played at the highest level and seeing certain things, you know what I'm saying. So like it was it's just a part of you as a player. And you know, like I know, when you're out here coming from where we came from, Lake Brown Drive pick not getting drafted at all, Everything that you do is a fight daily to get better. Everything you got something to prove every time you walk in the building. Come on, man, and so like, even in this building, I don't care how many stars out here wouldn't been through here. These men got an obligation to get better every time they step foot in this building. Yeah, And.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right. And you come from and are cut from an entirely different cloth than what the modern players cut from. You have some that are cut from that cloth, but overall, and I'll leave his name out of this, But when the Cowboys came back from training camp and they had their training camp practices here, Okay, I'm down on the sideline and I'm watching practices. This particular player is not a star, not even close to being a star, not even close. And he's out and he's hurt. And as practice is literally going on, not not stretching, not you know, just a little stuff before practice is literally in the full swing of things, he's holding up the camera. He grabs a camera from another one of the videographers, and while practice is going on, he's doing that, and there was nobody. There was nobody that was like, hey, bro, what are you doing. There wasn't a coach, there wasn't a veteran player. And now this particular play, he's not a star, he's a rotational piece, special teamer at best, and he's hurt. And instead of him being in his coach's side pocket learning to what's going on so that he's ready to go when it's time to.
Speaker 3: Go, he thought that was OK.
Speaker 5: And guess what, a very high official in the Cowboys organization was standing right there on the sideline and he never said a word. And so this is what you're asking for, is that you're asking for a level of mentality that has not been developed here because the guy who is a special teamer and a backup to the backup at best, thinks that it's okay to do certain things and know one is here to check them.
Speaker 3: I remember this.
Speaker 9: This, this.
Speaker 4: That mentality leads me to a time when the only time the Cowboys got pulled off Sunday night football game got flexed and and then they went to play at one o'clock. New in here but you know it's one o'clock came and they asked Jalen Smith, you know your thoughts about you know, concern embarrassing? He said, hey, man, owner ain't tripping, We ain't tripping, got it?
Speaker 3: Okay? You cool playing at one o'clock with everybody everybody else and right there, hey, he just told you Jerry cool, we cool. No, no Sunday night game. Get home. I get home to night and go can't get it. It's something like okay, okay.
Speaker 4: By the way, you guys, thoughts about Draymond Green called dak Press got a bone.
Speaker 3: I'm not wasting that, you know?
Speaker 9: For me?
Speaker 2: When when when I when I saw it, and and and then the first thing that popped into my head was his Michigan State highlights of him trying to play football. All right? That was that was the first thing that popped into my head. But then the second thing that popped into my head is that Draymond Green actually plays basketball just like the average football player. Does. You know what I'm saying, as far as like Jesse got true basketball skills, but most of us gonna get out there and play like Draymond dude, like kicking people, flailing all over the place.
Speaker 3: Horn school.
Speaker 5: But but you know, it just goes I should think his lucky stars every single whatever god he believes.
Speaker 2: Because role players are not You can't you really can't be a role player in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Marcus Spears said this, it's a bit rich coming from Draymond Green, who's played with arguably a top five the top five player to ever play in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Come out and say that like he's been the catalysts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't even yeah, because come on, like Dremond, you got a chance to play next to the arguably the greatest shooter to ever pick up a basketball. You played with Kevin Durant, you play with Clay when he was in his prime. Dog, you just you got to pass the ball, Relax. So I mean, there's certain things you shouldn't even really.
Speaker 2: I think it's a gang of gang of football players right now. They could go shut him down on the basketball court at any time if they wanted to. I don't think that he's as skilled like that to honestly be like, you know, to be running his mouth like that.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 4: See, you guys are professional former professional players in the media now. So so let me ask you this, when did it get to the point in time where athletes who played feel the need to just insult to another level of other professional athletes in different sports?
Speaker 2: They got safe out here for several years social media. It then used to be this safe. You used to can just run your mouth with no consequences, But now it's it's it's pretty safe out here for a lot of dudes, you know what I'm saying. And so that being said, you know, like I don't know how many times Draymon and and that gonna be in the same place. But I don't know if Dak is that guy to actually do that anyway, But I played with some dudes that that wouldn't have to say nothing here.
Speaker 5: The thing about Draymond knows who and what he knows who to do that to. He know who to say that to. Draymond wouldn't have said that in Charles Oakley Prime. You see what I'm saying. Draymond wouldn't have said that in Dale Davis's time.
Speaker 2: He ain't gonna say that about oh now.
Speaker 5: Like like you you watched the mentality of who and even when Draymond is wolfing in the court like the guy he socked it correct, like you know what I'm saying, like you know who to do like that is the definition of a bully. Like that is the legitimate definition of a buddy bully. He knows exactly who to pick fights with and to mess with European dudes on the court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got it.
Speaker 2: And once again, I'm gonna go back to his football highlights. That's out there for everybody to see. All right, we saw it. You know what it is too.
Speaker 5: I ain't see Dreamond saying he won't do that to you dollars hastling. He wouldn't do He would have did that to z Bo.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's what's my man's name in the NBA? That is the UFC fighter and everything else like that.
Speaker 5: He's a he's a backup on the Indiana pace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he don't do that to him.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody talking. He won't do that.
Speaker 3: No, no, he know, young brothers coming out the stands.
Speaker 5: Yokis might not do nothing but them brothers for show coming out of the student and me the min the alley way.
Speaker 4: All right, fun show, fun show, our final show of the week and next week come off. So Jesse, you're you'll be sitting in the captain here here you go, have fun fun. No, these guys are great man.
Speaker 3: Think about your vegas man, have a good time.
Speaker 2: Yo for me.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Put twenty on the yo. We can't on the yo. You can put twenty on the yo.
Speaker 2: You know you can.
Speaker 3: You know it's crap. Now you can go to the craft table.
Speaker 4: Now I know that for a fact. You can put twenty on the yo for your boy. All Right, I guess can't go to sports book, but you could throw twenty on the yo for your boy. I'm just avoid everything, got Jesse. Holly Anthony Door said for Chrispy and Josh, everbody's part of the new Scruggs, we'll talk to you.
Speaker 3: Well, they'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.