Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man. Hero.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Man Hero.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Man Yeah, welcome, Welcome back to the mailroom. It gets better here every day. We're not living like animals at all. We are living like civilized gentlemen. Jordan Runta, I don't I mean guns n' roses. We you know, we just you know, we could we could completely go off the rails on this crazy train if we get too much longer. I know it's not guns n' roses, but we're just gonna go with the hard rock theme for this this deal, because yeah, we're gonna be dealing with something that I deal with day in and day out in my office.
Speaker 2: In fact, probably one.
Speaker 3: Of the busiest aspects of my career, both research wise in the literature and publications and speaking professorializing with this condition that we're going to just come out and say, Pironi's Disease.
Speaker 2: Jordan, what's up? Man?
Speaker 4: Not much?
Speaker 5: I am really excited to do this episode because you are truly a rock star in the Peroni's Disease world. You are the Jimmy Page of Pronis. You were one of the leading researchers. Is because every time I was doing research on this episode in your name coming up, left, right and center.
Speaker 2: Just ramble on, man, just ramble on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I mean, I think we're going to get a little professor oil today. It's something that I'm super interested in the.
Speaker 2: History of it.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about a little bit and then you know, this is going to be another one of these series.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a bunch of people.
Speaker 3: Some of my friends that I've known for years, that are also luminaries in the field of Perne's disease. Because this deserves a lot of oxygen. Not just because this is a big part of what I do at UCLA and both in the clinic and in the operating room as well as you know, in the laboratory essentially in our research, but also because it's it's a disease that has its roots in shame. It has its roots in the insecurities of men's health, and so I think these are the things we got unpacked we have to demystify. And also, you know, it's way more common than we think. And when I started practice, Perone's disease is you know, really is the one thing that there's no other specialist that can deal with this condition truly other than a urologist. All right, So you know we're just kind of rambling on we as it were. I mean, he gave me the Jimmy Page thing. It's no way I can live up to that. But I'll pull out my less policy what we can do. So, so what is Peoni's disease? The condition has been described really probably since about the thirteenth century since ay an Italian anatomus Philopius, who also those of us, and that no guynecology know of filopian tubes. Wo, So he knew a lot about the pelvis a both men and women pelvis, and he described this can called induracio plastica penis or basically in duration of the lining of the tunica virginia, the tough outer membrane of the penis that caused deformity. And so he did a lot of work in the anatomic dissecting labs, in the cadaver labs, and so he must have come across a bunch of these lumps in penises of cadavers that he was dissecting the pelvis on for other reasons, but it was not.
Speaker 2: Named Filopius's disease.
Speaker 3: It was named Peroni's disease for francoisi Go de le Peroni, who was the physician in mid eighteenth century France. He was a royal physician and one of the original papers that actually described a case report for perones goes back to about seventeen forty three or so.
Speaker 2: I'll make it up. I'm sure we can get Google.
Speaker 3: AI generated the answer to exactly when that paper came out first. But I said that pons, it's a disease that started in shame. And I mean that because the way that Roni, the physician described the paper, it was a guy that was out filandering in the streets of Paris, and he was about thirty two years old, and he had a few nights on the town away from his wife, and then he came back with this painful and curved direction. And that's what Pirone's disease is, quite simply, is just when the penis does not maintain its normal cylindrical shape that the guy has known all his life, and he develops either a painful lump or a plaque.
Speaker 2: We call it a curvature.
Speaker 3: Usually ensues p and l shortening almost always happens. In fact, one hundred percent of guys that have pironis will not be able to maintain or regain their normal length without some kind of intervention, and a lot of times it decreases blood flow, so it causes problems with directions. And so this guy had what was what Peroni thought was a veneerial disease. And that's what you get for stepping out on your on your wife is Pernes. And so imagine how many times in my career that I have a very nice, happily married man that goes on a business trip and he comes back and he has this curvature. How do you explain that one to your partner? And you know it has nothing to do with venereal diseases. There's no infectious ideology to Perrone's. But that's how the whole thing started in the seventeen forties. So we've known about this forever, we've described it. But you're going to say, well, then, okay, what causes paronius disease, doctor Mills, And I'll say, well, yes, Jordan, thanks for introducing me as this leader in the field. And I will say, I have no idea. And that was one of the first things that I like to disavow of my patients that we know everything.
Speaker 2: We know what it is. We know what the scar tissue is.
Speaker 3: If I go in to the operating room because I have to remove this scar tissue, which is one of the surgeries I do, I can send it to my pathologists and they will tell me. It's a disorganized bundle of multiple types of collagen, primarily type one collagen and type three collagen. And there's probably seven plus types of collagen in our body, which is that connective tissue that makes our nose have shape. It keeps the balance in our skin, and so as we age and our skin becomes wrinkly and it becomes less firm than that's loss of collagen crosslinking or bridging in the penis, it's exactly the opposite. It's this giant ball of disorganized collagen. And we know that the normal lining of the penis, that tunic cal virginia is made up of two separate layers of college and we call longitudinal fibers which run straight down the cylinder as you imagine in the parallel fashion of the penis dangling from the body, and then the circular fibers which are what keep it in its cylindrical shape, and so the circular fibers go around the cylinder, and the two of those usually work in concert so that guys will get an erection that maintains its cylinder shape as it in gorges with blood and keeps it all trapped in and establishes the erection that most guys know and love, and pronis goes in and screws all of that up and you end up with this disorganized bundle of abnormal collagen. So the way I look at this is if I'm trying to explain to a guy, I said, look you before I lose all confidence as a provider that I don't know what's going on. We do know that there is a genetic basis for this, and that there are guys that are a little more susceptible to forming these plaques, which we call them. They're not plaques like you'd think cholesterol plaques and arteries, and they're not associated with coronary disease. But basically, using the loose definition of plaque, is a chunk of tissue that shouldn't be there, and that's all it is. It's essentially a chunk of this collagen that normally should be nice and elastic is now becoming fixed. Broni's is very associated with two other conditions of what we call connected tissue disorders, and they all have eponyms. So in the hand it's another French guy to putrins. And so if you ever notice, guys, usually as we age, or women too, can develop these contracted fingers where instead of being able to hold your palm all the way out, you get this contraction where the usually the pinky finger will come in so that you can't fully extend your hand or high five somebody. You end up with a little bit of a dysfunction of that ability.
Speaker 2: So it's difficult if.
Speaker 3: It's your right hand to shake hands, to do five fingered exercises, and that can be you know, a serious problem because it affects a hand, so it can actually affect work if you work with your hands. If you're a guitar player, just imagine that trying to fret with a with a pinky that doesn't fully expand. And it's the same connective tissue disorder. It's the same kind of lumpy, bumpy collagen that affects the penis. And then lastly, there's something called later host contractors. So German, dude, I guess maybe Austrian of the planter fascia of the foot or the bottom part of the foot. So it affects the arch and so it can be painful. And again it's just a lump in that connective tissue or that ligament that keeps the foot in a nice arch like fashion. It can contract that as well. So yeah, basically, penis, hand, foot, same deal. If I took out a piece of contractor in the hand or the foot and I send it to my pathologist, they would not be able to tell me if it came from the penis, the hand or the foot.
Speaker 5: Now, I guess, taking it back a little bit, how does a man first realize that something is wrong or it was a different for every case. Is it a visible curve? Is it painful eruption? Is it a lump? Is a loss of length? Is it difficulty having sex?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, the answer is yes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So by way of I got all excited and jumped in to this whole thing because obviously this is what I do. But yeah, this is going to be a big, multi part episodes. We're going to unpack all of this I'm going to have some friends on as we were talking about, and so I think, yeah, what I'll tell you that in this intro phase is that it can happen all of those ways where a guy can literally wake up one morning with an erection that has bent, and often it starts in a painful way, and where they notice what directions, all of a sudden they develop pretty significant kind of either a throbby or a sharp stabbing pain because that a normal erectile tissue is limited. It can't expand past that scar tissue. So the most obvious manifestation is a curvature. The second most is length loss, and then it also can turn into length loss curvature problems and then not getting good blood flow past the plaque. It almost acts like a finger over a garden hose, where where if you have this extrinsic force pushing down on the blood vessels that normally supply the entire penis, then guys will develop what we call distal flacidity where they won't get an engorged tip of the penis where then they won't get an engorged portion of the penis that's past that plaque.
Speaker 2: And so so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can happen anyway, Most guys do not know what caused this, and so getting back to the genetics of this, I think that there are populations that have a slightly increased risk of this. We know that men that undergo pelvic surgeries or any kind of eurologic instrumentation where they're maybe getting surgery for kidney stones or surgery on their prostate, those guys tend to have a higher risk of developing pronies.
Speaker 2: And we don't know if this is fully causal.
Speaker 3: We also think if you are going to a urologist for some kind of eurologic surgery, then you also may say, hey, and by the way, I've got this change in my penis that I hadn't noticed before, and that becomes us what we call association bias or a selection to saying, you know, I'm already here for one penile issue or one eurologic issue. Do you mind taking a look at this lump or this bump I noticed and this card tissue? And you know that's the initial diagnosis is we actually most of the time, eighty percent of the time, don't know why they develop this card tissue, what goes rogue in their wound healing processes that allows for a hyper trophic wound heal. There are guys that get chloids cars you know, those are where you get Yeah, so if you see, sometimes it happens after say an ear piercing or something. They can happen anywhere on the body, or you have a pretty significant laceration or a cut somewhere, and instead of just a nice thin scar, they can get really lumpy, bumpy skin tissue. And a lot of times it happens in the ears and it is very You can see it and then say, gosh, what happened to that person's skin to that wound healing. That's another disorganized way that we heal wounds is to develop these keyloids, which are giant blobs of college and that's under the skin surface. And there's an association between keyloids and pyerhnies as well. But yeah, only about twenty percent of guys will tell me they had an inciting incident that led to it. And even those, even those, I have to be really careful with them to make them not feel like they did something wrong. I have to disavow guys that there is any component of shame or that I did something on my penis, I shouldn't. So a lot of younger guys come in thinking they had a masturbation injury that led to this.
Speaker 2: I've had, you know, in.
Speaker 3: California surfboard injuries, in Colorado snowboard injuries, where they're there, even with a flaccid penis, they may have taken a blow of some kind to the penal tissue and then they notice the curvature could be But most of the time, what we think is that because the most most guys that develop peronis, it's really between their forties and sixties that it happens because they're getting a little bit of these chronic, little flection injuries where the penole tissue may not be as in gorgeous it used to be. They're still getting erections, but that those little microtraumas lead up to at one point that genetic switch turning on to say, oh man, we got to put down this type one collagen, this type three collagen what I call the spackle of the penis.
Speaker 2: So if you put a hole in your wall, right, what do you do. You go to your.
Speaker 3: Hardware store and you get a tub of spackle and you throw it up to patch the wall. It's not quite like the wallboard that was installed, but it covers up the hole. And I think that's sort of what happens with our with our wound healing system, is that there's a slight, low grade inflammatory panic where when the penis sends, this is a micro trauma that could lead to a bigger injury, and all of a sudden, these guys that have a genetic predisposition are just throwing down spackle and it heals, but it doesn't heal to the point where a guy's going to have a completely normal penis. So yeah, penile injury, penile fracture. You know, we talked about the five p's of the Pinocalypse a few episodes ago, and two of those were penis fracture and pernis, and those are not very well associated at all. And even if a guy doesn't get his penis fracture healed, a lot of times they have problems with the rectile function, but they don't they don't necessarily develop pernis. So unclear, you know. Bottom line is that after this long, long consultation I'll have in my office with guys, they're going to leave feeling as if they don't really know what caused it. But the best and important thing I can do is disavow them of any shame factor that they didn't do anything to their their penises. I mean, their penises are pretty tough, durable organs, right, and they are the reason for our genetic procreation, so they're built that way to stand and a lot of different shenanigans, and so unfortunately sometimes that shananigan gets in the way. And here we are with a with a Perone's plaque developing.
Speaker 4: Now this is a really beginner question, but good.
Speaker 5: You talk about developing Perone's disease the manifestation of it. Is it truly you wake up one day and there is a curve or is it something gradual that occurs over days, weeks, months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, I'm gonna say yes, yea.
Speaker 3: So it's a reasonable time to talk about something that I don't want to talk about anymore. But because we argue about this in the academy, we have traditionally classified peronis into an acute phase and a chronic phase. Where guy notices a disturbance in his normal penis anatomy, and that's day one, and then day I don't know, one hundred and eighty. He notices that things haven't really changed much since day one, And say he wakes up one morning and his penis has bent forty five degrees to the right or to the left, or up or down, because parone's curvature can really go in any direction of the cardinal orders. In fact, some guys go up into the left, up and to the right, down to the left, down to the right, straight down, straight up. But either way, if a guy wakes up with that curvature, that change in the penal anatomy, he may never change again. In other words, you wake up a forty five degree bend and six months later it's exactly the same. Some guys don't have any pain with this at all. Some guys have pain that last two years. Some guys have pain that doesn't go away, that can continue throughout the course of this condition. And then some guys will have a very gradual onset of pain and curvature where they say, gosh, you know, well, cop and I noticed it was about twenty degrees bent to the right. And a lot of guys Jordan have underlying curvature anyway. I mean, there's some normal anatomy that allows you know, a variance of about twenty degrees, where guys will have a bend, and that gradual bend may never get in the way of intercourse, and that's just normal for them, and so it's really what's abnormal for them. And in fact, some men are even born with a significant angulation where where it can their penis can be born bent ninety degrees. That's not payerne's. That's called either cord where a guy's penis bends downwards, and that's an anatomic variant where a guy's penis the chambers of the penis don't all grow at the same time, and one of them or two of them are mismatched. And so whenever guy gets an direction, or even a young boy gets an erection, he may have a physiologic curvature. And again sometimes they're not bothered, and sometimes we have to fix them surgically if they get in the way of intercourse. But it is good to distinguish all things that are curved are not pynees. And so when we talk about paronis from a definition, it is an acquired disorder of the shape of the penis, and it can happen at age seventeen, it can happen at age eighty seven. But you alluded to something, which is this idea that we like to categorize in medicine and so acute and chronic phase for decades to centuries kind of made sense. And I've been really working a long time to disavow our patients and our professional societies from trying to do this, because sadly in this day and age, now that we have treatments for parone's disease, this becomes an issue with sometimes getting coverage and care for it, and some insurance companies will not allow us to treat guys in the acute phase because it seems like we just need to wait and see if it gets better. And the other myth, because we love taking things down on the show, is that paronis will get better on its own. And there was one study in the nineteen seventies or so that looked at what we call the natural history of Pironi's meaning when you say something as a natural history means you observe it from the beginning until the guy dies, basically without intervening, because for years we didn't really have a viable intervention for Pirona's disease. And in that study, and I still get physicians that quote this to me, or patients that requote what their doctor told them. Is that a third of these get better, a third of these stay the same, and a third of these get worse. And so if you look at the if you wanted to dichotomize into acute and chronic phase, then you would say, hey, look a guy comes in.
Speaker 2: I woke up with an.
Speaker 3: Erection this morning, and it's bent that maybe my afternoon clinic today waiting for me. Most likely because of how often I see this condition. I'll probably have six or eight new guys in my clinic today with this condition. And if they've seen other doctors before they see me, they may have told him they say, look, man, this just happened to you.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 3: You know, probably got about a thirty percent chance, so go away in its own, so let's just keep an eye on it.
Speaker 2: That would be based on a.
Speaker 3: Really crappy one paper that I'd love to just toss out of literature, and a third of them stay the same, I think is also probably not true. In fact, I see a lot of guys that will develop the original phase, what we used to call a cute phase, where it doesn't get any different. It just they wake up their penises bent ninety degrees. No trauma, they just kind of happened to them. That doesn't get any better, It doesn't get any worse.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: And so imagine me trying to tell a guy, hey, look, bro, you know, come back and see me in six months and we'll see what we can do about it. So now guys to live with his devastating condition where he may be unable to engage in intercourse he may not if he's single, try to explain that to a partner, and then basically me turning my back on him for six months and you know, watching the clock tick down to zero and then say okay, now we're going to do something.
Speaker 2: And then the other group.
Speaker 3: Of guys, though, the guys that do stabilize after a year or so, those are the ones that will have this gradual onset where it starts to twenty, then it gets to thirty forty forty five degrees and they're noticing, guy, I lost maybe a centimeter of length, and then I lost two centimeters, and you know, then I lost three. Some guys even mentioned they feel as if they've lost up to four inches of their normal pnile length. So this is not just a subtle deal, but it happens that that tissue can get so disorganized and cause such a wad of crumpled up a normal, healthy erectile tissue that they can never expand.
Speaker 2: And so all of those are real.
Speaker 3: And so my mission is to to not really talk about acute and chronic phased Pironi's in and we'll ask what our experts say too, and it'll be fun to see when they get on and if they want to challenge me on this or or they will.
Speaker 2: See their practices a little bit differently.
Speaker 3: But really the most important thing to me is when do I intervene with something invasive. An invasive would be surgery. And the things that I do like is for guys to stabilize to the point where they haven't had much change in agulation for at least a few months, because if I intervene too soon, I could either over or undercorrect those guys, right, if there's any chance that they get better, And by the way, you know, just to go back to me saying it never gets better. There is a very small percentage of guys, you know, maybe under ten percent, that notice that paronies can get a little bit better without doing anything. But again, we don't have those observational studies anymore, because now we do have early interventions, which we'll get into over this course of this series. And so for somebody to walk into an office where paronees and have a physician pat them on the back and say, hey, let's see how this goes in three months, that's not cool.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We have too many things we can do, even non invasive things at all, that we give these guys a fighting chance at getting better before it turns into a three months, six month, two year process before we get them care. Those are two years where the guy's going to be psychologically, emotionally and physically devastated by this condition. And that's what I want to disavow of is that if a guy comes into the acute phase, I have treatments available for them that we could start treating them immediately instead of waiting and saying, oh, let's see if it stabilizes and then we'll go from there.
Speaker 2: We have to stop with that thinking what.
Speaker 4: Are some of those non surgical treatments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're going to have episodes dedicated to this Jordan, But the way I look at Perne's in general from a treatment standpoint is pills, pokes, and procedures, and that's kind of a nice way to organize what we do. And the spoiler alert here is that even in twenty twenty six, we still have just one FDA approved therapy for Perone's disease. And in full disclosure I do the condition is treated with something called zyeflex or collagenates, which is an enzyme that breaks down.
Speaker 2: The plaques that we're going to talk about.
Speaker 3: And as in say in full disclosure, I was one of the principal investigators on the trial that brought that to market in twenty three team, So I have no stock interests in the company, but they do sponsor some fellowship and research for us. So that is that is my above board disclosure that I do have ties to the company, but none that I directly profit from, so I can speak marginally unbiased on this as a as a clinician. But yeah, the other things before we get to Ziaflex, which I'm going to have one of my friends and colleagues talk with me about here in the next few episodes at some point, is that there are medications that we think have properties that can help treat Peyrone's and so the classic therapy is something we call anti fibrodict therapy or triple therapy, because there are three different things we try and we use in combination because they work differently. And again, none of these is FDA approved for Pyne's. They're FDA approved drugs that we use for other things. One will be very familiar to the audience. It's something we call tadalafil, which is a generic name of cialis, or sold entifil, which is viager. They work very similarly, and those are medicines we typically give to guys to improve their rectile function, sometimes their cardiovascular health for men and women both that have that have a hypertension or high blood pressure within their pulmonary artery system. And the reason I mentioned that condition is that we know that these are not just boner pills. They're not just for giving us better erections, but they have multiple different channels that they can improve, and in the realm of peronies, we know that they can decrease the amount of fibrosis or scar tissue that your body puts down. So if you see a guy and he develops peronies, and you don't want to treat them. Even if you're a primary physician listening or urologist doesn't treat peronis. I would try them as you get them into my office or get a referral to your local perones expert to put them on a daily low dose of ta dalophill because it does have both in vitro and in vivo, meaning in the body itself, but also in lab tissue cultures, it can decrease the amount of scar tissue that forms, and so the idea is maybe we can intervene before this plaque becomes so dense that the only way we can get rid of it is either with an injection like collagenase or a surgery where I have to actually go in and either excize the plaque or counterbalance the plaque through surgeries. We're gonna have a whole episode on surgeries as well, so stay tuned for that. But Ciallis is kind of a to dal if. It was sort of the anchor of this antifibrotic therapy. The other two one is actually an amino acid or a supplement called el citraline, which is a nitrocoxide donor. It helps improve the amount of nitricoxide in a system, and we know the nitricoxide is important for dilation or opening up of blood vessels and relaxing a smooth muscle, both in the penis and everywhere, and so anybody that is a gym goer that enjoys pre workouts, one of the big ingredients in pre workouts is either something called l arginine or l citraline. They both essentially get converted to nitrocoxide through either the liver or the kidney, and so, but we also use it in pronies and in erect a dysfunction as a supplement that may have some evidence. And then finally something called pentoxiphiline which has been around for fifty sixty years, and that is another medicine that has a non specific pathway, just like tadalophil where it can help improve blood float of the penis and decrease scar tissue as well by inhibiting one of the inflammatory cytokine pathways. And that is a big fancy word for essentially when a body feels that it needs to generate either an immune or an inflammatory response, like you know, you get kicked in the shin, you get redness, you get bruising. Those are all inflammatory cytokines that run to the area to help increase wound healing. So pentoxifiline or Trento is its own brand name. It inhibits something called TGF beta, which is one of those inflammatory cytoclines that leads to deposition of scar tissue. So it's a very very indirect way that we think in that can decrease the amount of s car tissue that form. So we only use that in guys that haven't had peronis for a very long time. What used to be called the acute phase and even probably will always be called the acute phase, but as I said, I really don't like to use that term. But yeah, so those three things get together. The literature is pretty sparse on couple of randomized placebo control trials that go back to about two thousand and six and prior that show maybe a thirty percent chance that guys will get an improvement in their curvature if we do that within about the first six months of onset of conditions. So we'll talk about that with our other guests at some point to see what they do for it. Because again non FDA proof, so nothing on the label that says those things treat pironis. But we've cobbled together this little packet of pretty safe medications that may have some efficacy.
Speaker 2: One of the other things that we'll.
Speaker 3: Talk about a lot is penile attraction or penile modeling, because we do know that if you break your hand, then you get put into a cast or splenter. You break your arm, you get put into a cast, and so if you break the penis, and part of the reason that it doesn't work so well is as an orthopaedic injuries because again, as I said, this isn't really a fracture of the penis. It's more of a deposition of scar tissue. But what if we try to if you're bent to the right, put on a device or something that can help redirect the penis to its more straight orientation that you remember before you develop scar teistion. That's called penal attraction. There are multiple different brands out there that can do that. Some of them can actually work as a folkirm or a lever to help rebnd the penis at the point of curvature, so that if you bend forty five degrees to the right, then you bend it. The device forty five degrees to the left, so you're providing a counter traction and it kind of makes sense, and there's some data, especially if you combine that with a more aggressive approach, like some kind of therapy that we inject directly into the penis, either zyeflex or some of the non FDA prove injection therapies that will also cover at some point. But yeah, I mean, it kind of works and it's something to do. One of the things that we do think happens with traction is that you may be able to restore some length loss. And so even if a guy doesn't get much curvature improvement, maybe we'll restore a little bit of length loss. So again, something that we're going to unpack in future episodes. But right, definitely some therapies we can do before we start getting too aggressive.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you've been seeing people for you know, you said, this is the most common thing that you treat in your clinic. What's the biggest misconception you hear from patients in your practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one that it's their fault that they did something to their penis, and so again, and you know, we have to unpack the shame and say you didn't do anything. Even if you did do something, you know you probably are well within your realm of what most guys can get away with their penis. And so that is something that you have to walk out of my office and think, Okay, you know I didn't do anything wrong. My partner didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: If you would talk about referred guilt, it's when a guy comes in with a partner or sometimes the relationship doesn't survive the injury, where where a person says that another person caused this to happen. I've seen guys that have had had been sexually assaulted, you know, forcibly by by a sexual partner that did something essentially either a forcible bend during intercourse that set up this cascade of inflammatory tissue that's a whole other thing. Or if a couple is still together after the partner may have caused the injury, that is another unpacking of guilt where you know they probably didn't do anything wrong unless they truly truly wanted to instill harm on that partner, which sadly I have seen a couple of times, but really just a couple and the tens of thousands of guys that taken care of.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 3: You know, it just happens, and there is a genetic basis for this, and we do see it and it's not I should also say the other major thing that we should dispel is that this is a condition. They call this in the Scandinavia the Vikings disease, and we thought that it had a much higher prevalence in men of Northern European descent, and there is a little bit of a genetic signal for that. But I see men literally from all over the world, either living all over the world that come to see me for their condition or that their ethnic origins are global. In fact, some of the things that I would love to disavow is that this is a disease that strictly strikes Northern Europeans, because if anybody is listening that is not of that origin and they think, well, there's been to my penis. But I've heard this is always something that normally affects white guys, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It can affect anybody.
Speaker 3: So that's the other thing is that you know, if you are a person that has a penis, you can get this.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 3: This is one of the diseases without tmiing my guys and say, look, I can wake up tomorrow and have this condition. There's you know, I know, I know how to prevent erect out as function. I eat right, I sleep, I exercise, you do all the things that Mills tells me to do because I listen to his podcast, I read his book, and I'm like, I'm not going to get erect out of his function until you know, I cannot keep up anymore with the cruel hands of age. But Pirroonius does not have that. Every day I wake up and I think this could be the day that that I developed this. And so you can't live in fear of it. If you're sitting there listening to this show and think, well, man, I'm really glad I don't have that, But boyd you know, do I have to be careful of something? You really don't, you know. But the point is that this can happen to anybody. There is really not a lot of predispositions, and I you know the goal of this whole podcast is to spread joy and joy and love and peace and love, peace and love and not a I know ringo.
Speaker 2: Yes, So if we all listen to him a little.
Speaker 3: But really the goal is is to just you know, not worry about developing these things. But if you do, then we got treatments for it too. That's the other myth is that hey, you really, you know, this is something that just happens. You can't do much about it. I cannot believe in twenty twenty six, I still get guys that come into my office that really had to go past what their local doc told them to either get on the internet or just seek out Peroni's experts and end up in my office with the misconception that there's really nothing we can do to get this better. It still happens today. It has been now thirteen years since the FDA approved collagenase for the penis or zyaflex thirteen years and so this is not a cutting edge, novel, novel therapy by any means. It's something that again we're going to dedicate an episode to, but it is something that's still that the majority of youurologists actually don't use this medication for reasons that will unpack later. But there are plenty of guys are very well trained. In fact, you know too. Every year I train two eurologic surgeons in how to administer that drug in a safe and effective way. So there are lots of guys out there that have excellent training in this, and so right, don't go in if you are listening anything, Geez, I do have this lump on my penis I didn't have before. I had this curvature. I don't know what to do about it. And you're listening to the show, then don't give up, you know, don't give up and think there's nothing I can do about it, because we have all kinds of treatments. We have pure fellowships now for the last many years that have been dedicated to training surgeons and providers to how to treat guys that have this. So, yeah, that's a huge misconception. There's so many things we can do for these guys.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you've taken care of our You're probably going to be okay. Segment for this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that is true, and I do think that that's very helpful.
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 3: The other thing I will talk about is that the mental health component of this, because we really hit this heart on the show, is so important. We I collaborated with some colleagues from Krolinski Institute in Sweden. Sweden and Scandinavian general has amazing patient databases because it is a system that has universal health care and people turns out they really enjoy living in Scandinavia, so they don't move that much. They're not that transient of a society, and so they can have amazing longitudinal records because they have many touch points over the patient's life from when they were born to when they die. And so we had a database of over nine thousand men that we looked at with PIRNS and this was published, i want to say, about twenty twenty two or so in the Journal of Virology, So one of our premier journals that looked at the mental health aspect of men that had Perni's disease when they had this painful or painless curvature deformity to the penis, and the number of guys that had mental health issues as really whether as a result of the Pernies or whether it was just an association, you know, we weren't really powered to look at. Essentially, the association is about a three to one fold history of guys that have had touch points with mental health providers. There's a huge increase in guys that are on anti depressant medications that have Perni's disease and really tragically and this is something that I hear Jordan not frequently, but it happens is guys with suicideality that have considered ending their life because of this condition.
Speaker 2: And so one of the.
Speaker 3: Things I love, as you know, being funny and humorous and light. But this is where I'm not going to do it because I've had men that have come into me where they're urologists, have made fun of it and said, you know, it's just a bend to the penis, It's funny, you got a banana between your legs. Not the right thing to say. And there are lots of things to have fun and make light of. But you know, I would challenge any guy out there that if one day you woke up and you had a bend to your penis and it wasn't the penis, that you knew that that would be anything that would be funny about it.
Speaker 2: And it has.
Speaker 3: You know, it's been on it's been on Saturday Night Live. It's been lampooned that this condition and so so can you find humor in it?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: And I'm hoping we'll bring a guest on at some point that that has had this condition that maybe can look at this with a humorous light, but as a provider for me to discount this as like, hey, at least you're not going to die from this, not cool at all. And there are guys that come in and feel a lump in their penis and that's the first thing they think is that, oh my god, I have cancer. And I will tell you, in the years, in decades i've been practicing, I've never misdiagnosed cancer for Prona's disease or Pronu's diasers for cancer, they're very, very different manifestations. They don't look alike, they don't feel alike, and so again get evaluated. But most likely you don't have cancer and it just doesn't present that way in the penis. But yeah, I mean, the things that have really changed in terms of how guys present is wonderfully and delightfully. They're presenting much earlier than they were before. So we had another and we'll maybe bring this up with one of our guests as well. But when we were looking at the original trials for Pironi's disease, which gosh, those clinical trials dated back to I want to say around two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, and we published a subset analysis, meaning we looked at a lot of different ways. We looked at the data and how guys presented, and in the clinical trials that brought Zieflex to market, we excluded men that had not had Paroni's disease for greater than a year. And the reason for that was not scientific in terms of thinking that it would be less efficacious, but unfortunately insurance companies that weaponized us on that and said is not studied in guys under a year, So that's why they make people wait. Thankfully, you know, with a lot of advocacy and a lot of pushback that haven't really had that problem for a number of years now, but it's still something that I hear frequently. But what we found is that the average age of presentation for pironis in the old days was guys who could have it four or five years before they really saw it any kind of definitive therapy. And what we also found, which is kind of good for you're probably going to be okay, is that if you are listening to this and you've noticed this curvature for a while and you haven't found the right physician or urologists to treat this, that your treatment course is going to be just as effective. And we found that even if a guy had Perone's plagued for a year or even ten years, that if we initiated therapy with intralegional injections in this case, I afflix that the outcomes were about the same. Guys still can benefit from therapy even a year out. But I'm not seeing guys that have had this now for ten years anymore. That In fact, I've had guys you know that immediately they see it, they get on the internet, they find out, they define what it is, and they come see a provider, you know, within days, two weeks to months. And so again those are the guys that what we know is. And we have a couple of nice papers out in the literature recently that treating guys in the acute phase. But again I hate to use that term, but guys that have had this for less than six months they do just as well as guys that have had it, you know, for years. And so why make a guy suffer and wait, you know for some magic time to kick in before you could start actually treating them for their condition. So another thing we have to break down is that acute versus chronic phase should not affect a treatment course. If you think a man's a candidate for interlagional therapy. The only thing I would say is that if you're a patient listening and you see somebody and you have this acute phase where you've had it for three months, six months, and they want to operate on you, I would That's where I would slow the roll a bit because I don't typically and there's not a set in stone. Again, we'll talk to some of our other providers will get on the show, but for me, I want things to be really stable for at least six months, maybe even a year. And again because we have things we can do before that time, like zyeflex, then we can see potentially an improvement that we can either decrease the amount of surgery we have to do in a guy or obviate the need for surgery in general. We looked at our data not too long ago and found that about eighty percent of guys will get a rational good response to intralegional therapy or the injection therapy with zyeflex and only about seven percent of my men that had gone through, of course with eyefles end up actually needing surgery, and so that that's a pretty good number. It means you have a ninety three percent chance of finding a nonsurgical solution to this condition. So those are the kind of numbers that we want to keep posting. And as we get more and more familiar with this compound and we change and refine our techniques a little bit more, as well as adding on additional therapies. Potentially one of the things that we know that that pronins is associated with, for example, is hypogonadism or low testosterone, which we have talked a lot about on this show. But that's also optimizing testosterone levels, optimizing blood flow. And however, we do that to the penis through diet, exercise, and stress reduction, all those things they all help, you know. And so again we have to treat this condition holistically. We have to treat it not just as I have a chunk of scar and my penis and I need a surgical solution. No, if we treat a guy holistically, we treat their mental health, we treat their hormonal health, and we treat their physical health. Or or the plaque directly. That's the winning combination. So has I really got to find a provider that can do all of that for you?
Speaker 5: Well said, I mean, I know one of the questions I had my final question for you was what's changed most in proni's treatment during your career. Sounds like you've been actively involved in a lot of those changes, from both how it's treated holistically and also the medications that you know are used, the injections that are used to help the non surgical options.
Speaker 4: So that's yeah, incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I will say, so I started practice, my fellowship ended two thousand and mid two thousand and eight, and then Zieflex was ft proved in twenty thirteen, and I was involved in the clinical trials throughout right. So I had a few years where we didn't have zyeflex except for on an experimental basis. And I will say something kind of surprising that comes up, in fact, they just came up at a national meeting in DC a couple of weeks ago, is that my surgical practice has exploded at the event as eyeflex. And there's this thing in medicine when when a new drug comes out called there's two things. One is good and one is bad. And the good thing is called disease state awareness or DSA, and pharmaceutical execs like to talk about DSA where you have something that maybe not so many people knew about, because pronius is an exact is an amazing case study, you know for an MBA and disease state awareness. The if you look at old textbooks that the overall incidents of guys walking down the street that have pronius is about zero point nine percent up to three percent. That goes back to Philopius and looking at cadavers and saying, hey, here's here's a scar tissue in the penis, and I found this, you know, in one out of one hundred cadavers. Then that's the incidents of pronies one percent. Well, now that we've had a disease state awareness because we have a d rug, that incidence is pretty practically and I think realistically gone up to about ten percent. So ten percent of guys walking down the street have this condition. So we used to call this an orphan condition. It's not an orphan disease. It has lots and lots of guys. And I always tell people, you know, when they come in and they're waiting to see me in that in that waiting room, there's you know, I practice male fertility, I practice sexual dysfunction of all kinds and hormone management. But really almost forty percent of my practice is devoted to Peroni's disease, and one hundred percent of my practice is devoted to men's health. And so there's a really good chance that you're going to be in a waiting room with somebody else that has that condition as you're waiting to see me. So my Pironi's career has exploded for sure over that time. But the surgeries I'm doing because I'm seeing so many more guys that have this, and because Eyeflex is not a miracle drug, and despite what you know, we would want people to say. And again I'm not a speaker for the company that produces Eyeflix, so I could say this, and in fact I said that in the New York Times maybe ten years ago when it was first coming out, and I said, this is incredible drug because we had nothing before and now we have an.
Speaker 2: FDA proved therapy.
Speaker 3: But again, not everybody, twenty percent of guys or so don't get a satisfactory response to zyoflex, and a percentage of those guys are going to want to operate. And if I see conservatively, you know, tens of thousands of patients my clinics, these thousands of guys a year on a new patient basis, we probably see four to five thousand men a year, and a forty percent of those ad pernis and eighty percent of those guys get a good response to ziaflex. If I think they're a candidate, then that still leaves me in the oar quite a bit. And so I'm still once or twice a week operating on men for pronus disease. And so now you have a medical condition that has a surgical solution that we're really going to get into in future episodes. And I think that's really important to know. And so you're right. I love that you're probably going to be okay, because my goal is to say, look, we're going to find a solution. I don't know how yet, I don't know if it's going to be it'll get better on its own, but I can almost guarantee that's not it. But we'll start you on some medications, we'll optimize your hormones. We'll get you on a good nutritional regimen. You'll make sure you're eating well, exercising, doing all the things to make you live along in healthy life and potentially help improve your peronis. And then we'll start talking about medications, and then we'll we'll eventually have the discussion about surgery. But yeah, we're gonna figure out how get some degree of functionality back. The other misconception, though, that I think is really important is setting, And I have this discussion always when when I'm talking or training younger physicians, is that you do have to set the expectation that there's a good chance that that man will not get the penis he had back before this condition. You know, you'll get some degree of functionality. The best case scenario is that you will correct the curvature. You may regain some length, if not all length, but that you have to accept the fact that you had an injury, you had a disease state that led to a permanent change in your penile architecture. But we're going to make it better. You know, We're going to figure out a way to get to the point where you're functional again. And I think that may be the most important thing to walk away from this podcast is that you're going to be okay. Don't know how yet, don't know when you're going to be okay, but you may not be who you were before. You're going to have to learn to adapt a bit and have that conversation.
Speaker 4: Well to be continued.
Speaker 5: I know we have some folks coming on, some fellow folks in the field and some people who have dealt with this with bravery and humor, and yeah, yeah, I'm really excited to dive into this. I have to say I was one of those people who was really not familiar with this before I started speaking with you about it, and it's really shocking to me to hear that, you know, as many as ten percent of men are dealing with this, and so it's good to get the word out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean I was I think in medical school I had exactly zero lectures on this, and so this is not something that medical students probably are really exposed to unless they're going to a center of excellence or a metic school that has providers that spend a lot of time treating this. And you know, thankfully UCLA I have a lot of medical students either in my research group or come through my office, and so so we are getting the word out and I think it is becoming even those students that don't go into urology but go into a field that where they are taking care of men in some fashion, they at least have a bit of that disease state awareness.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I just a foreclosure.
Speaker 3: The other thing is that we don't like is a term disease mongering, where you're trying to muster up a disease that a guy may not have. Paronis. You can't fake it. You just can't fake it. And so when people are surprised, it's just you know, the amount of guys out there with Pironi's disease. That nothing has changed, there's nothing in the water. It's just a fact that it's way more common than we think. And nobody, you know, nobody wants to come in and say, hey, give me that drug for pironis because nobody wants this condition.
Speaker 2: And so I think that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: About this is that it is very, very distinct and it is a very condition that has very real therapies. But yeah, just because you see the ads on TV, the only people that ever respond to those the guys are like, oh, man, I had no idea that this is something that I had or that I had a treatment for. I just kind of figured as a normal part of getting older. And so that's where I think disease state awareness is great. It allows guys a little bit of a vehicle and a mechanism to reach out and find somebody that can that can take care of you.
Speaker 2: And so there are.
Speaker 3: Good finders online. Prone's disease finders where you can find providers that specialize in this. The plug for one of the groups I'm a part of, the Sexual Medicine Side of North America or the International Society of Sexual Medicine ISSM. Both I have great websites where you can get good patient information on and also often find providers that specialize in this. And so those are good resources, very well vetted that patients can reach out to for information. In addition to the email room with doctor Jessemils, which I hope also will be a good source of information for guys dealing with.
Speaker 4: This themeilrompod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Bam, there it is.
Speaker 3: So yeah, let's uh, you know, let's call it a rapp for today and then say T B C and uh have guys come back and and figure out, you know, how how I engage my friends and in treating this condition and and spreading the word.
Speaker 4: It's bringing out my friends. Thank you for all you do.
Speaker 3: Dude, thanks for calling me the Jimmy page your Peroni's disease. I I don't think. I don't know how I'm ever going to live up to that, but I can die a happy man.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Put that on your website, but then in your business card.
Speaker 2: Boa there you go.
Speaker 3: Vetted by by Rolling Stone correspondent Jordan Rumpt. I'll take it all right, man, Hey, dude, have we didn't get to catch up, but I hope things are going well for you. And uh, and I'll see you next time. I'll bring a buddy of mine and we'll we'll we'll hash this out some more.
Speaker 4: Heck yeah, looking forward to it, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, bro, be good, see you next time.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the maro. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about it a maro. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about.
Speaker 5: The mailroom with doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeartRadio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtogg. It was edited mixed and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you like what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast are those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health