Speaker 1: It is Drake Chans Mother Bucky podcast man.
Speaker 2: He's a legendary queens rapper. He's agreed as your boy in O r E. He's a Miami hip hop lion.
Speaker 3: There put up his dj e f N.
Speaker 2: Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean, and.
Speaker 4: The most professional unprofessional.
Speaker 2: Podcast and your number one source for drunk Chans Mother every day is new. Ye see that it's time for drink champions. Drink up motherfuck Mother.
Speaker 1: Would a good be Hoby Swiss is your boy in O r E?
Speaker 2: What up his dj e f N?
Speaker 1: This mithle Tapa crazy world Yeppiyawa make some of that.
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: You know what this brother was doing very early on the show, and our audience is banded it So if we hear us reiterate some questions from earlier, it's because our audience suspended.
Speaker 2: But let's just drunk who this brother is.
Speaker 1: When you when you say lyricists, when you say icon, when you say legend, when you say your favorite ghost writer's favorite ghost writer, he could dj We're gonna find out for real? Is he gonna really put that mic down? I made a segment just for him. Because I watched him at the Beans Awards. I kept saying, damn, he still got it. Every bar he kept saying and I kept saying he still got it. So I was like, Yo, I said, Yo, they said, skills is coming. I said, why don't we come up with a segment skill skill got it? In case you don't know what we're talking about, so mother.
Speaker 2: One only.
Speaker 3: It's still as skills a top.
Speaker 1: I want to ask this because this has been a very, very hot topic on drink Champs.
Speaker 2: It's a Virginia the side. Yo.
Speaker 1: We're talking about this because I mean people from Virginia that remind me of East Coast on the way. But this is people when I beat in Virginia that remind me of some real, real South Okay.
Speaker 4: I say, were right in the middle. Like like I'm gonna say the same thing I said before. We right in the middle. So it's like we get a little bit of the East Coast. I was heavily East Coast influence. You could you could tell you know what I'm saying, But we right right there in the middle.
Speaker 3: So and you got all of the HBCUs.
Speaker 4: So most of the people end up going to schools and you gotta you know, you have to listen to DJs.
Speaker 3: Had to play a South set.
Speaker 4: They got played in New York set, they got played an ATL set, you know what I mean. They got played the LA set. So you heard so much music. Historically, it was the capitol, Yeah, Confederate it was.
Speaker 2: It was the capital of the claim that ship.
Speaker 4: But it was it was the second biggest I want to say, second or third biggest, like where the slaves were, Like it was more slaves dead than anyway Turner where all that rebellion and all that happened right right down in Virginia.
Speaker 2: Now turn was in Virginia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we killed all them white people. Yeah, I've seen the movie too. Yeah that was I passed it all the time. Yeah, it happened down there right.
Speaker 2: So you being, you know, a liri cool giant.
Speaker 1: We just I say, we witnessed one of the greatest battles.
Speaker 2: I could say up all time. Because let me just tell you why.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not I'm not talking about the disrespect.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking about the bars.
Speaker 1: I'm actually talking about the acknowledgement. Like I don't care where I was at, I could have.
Speaker 5: Been in an Indian stretch parlor rightwt yoga, doing sweat yoga and drinking drink like people have to drink speak English.
Speaker 1: So as far as to me, it's one of the greatest battles. And I know when you're thinking about and you're thinking about.
Speaker 2: We had a big part of it. What I mean is it.
Speaker 1: Was like the biggest what I mean like like you couldn't go nowhere without people speaking about it.
Speaker 3: Because of the end of this social media specifically.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I think Kendrick out maneuvered Drake. I think he thought that it was going to be easy. But you gotta you gotta think like Drake. I'm gonna say is. I won't say was. I would say Drake is on like a fifteen fourteen year run. Oh Hove didn't even Hove didn't even have that type of run. And I don't mean hip hop star, I mean rap pop star, you know what I mean, Like he's over there, like he's still hip hop. But Drake could sell out O two, sell out with like whatever. So but Kendrick, I want to say, just out maneuvered him, you know what I'm saying, Like those records were very strategic.
Speaker 1: He kind of did to Drake what Drake and Mill went through. Like I believe that at one point Me underestimated him, and I believe that at one point Drake underestimated him because of the fact that Kendrick wasn't wasn't immediately going back in the studio. So so you do you think this is the biggest I has down sleeping?
Speaker 2: Okay, we was.
Speaker 3: We was around for jay z n.
Speaker 4: And and and and krs. But the Internet made this one, you know what I mean, Like, but we didn't. They didn't have a It didn't have to be a summer jam moment. You know, peace prize on the screen, Oh Shan, you know what I mean. It didn't have to be that. But he just outmaneuvered him man.
Speaker 6: Using social media he used as a tool like that concert was his summer jam moment, that constant way he brung Drake dre out and he was like, imagine he himself did his own summer jam moment, right because.
Speaker 2: He did his own summer jam moments. What I'm saying that I don't think that was equivalent.
Speaker 6: I think that because you had to go to a summer jam, he created it somebody.
Speaker 2: A different way.
Speaker 4: And even even thinking back, you got to think, So Kendrick had a concert where he put on like all l A artists, everybody in his hood. He had.
Speaker 2: That's the concert.
Speaker 4: Talking about the concert, Drake did that five years prior.
Speaker 2: You got a concert a battle.
Speaker 4: It was all Canadian artists, you know what I mean, Like if you wasn't from Canada, you wasn't getting on this bill from the whole school to the new School. So it's like he did what he had already done, but it just it was magnified. And Kendrick was just very smart, Like just the small thing is like like releasing the songs on YouTube, but taking the monetation off, taking the eat so people could p his joints and get money off of it.
Speaker 3: They can do the reaction.
Speaker 2: Videos, they could do whatever they want. Yeah, who's doing that? So what was he doing? He was?
Speaker 3: He was when he posted his videos.
Speaker 4: He took off the whatever it is to where people can't monetize. He let people monetize off of his his.
Speaker 7: Lady copyright free, yeah copyright. He took the copyright off. If I'm not mak your money, like go ahead, nigga. It was for the people, like he was like, go ahead, break your bread. If you get eighty million views on your ship. My nigga counted up.
Speaker 6: Like typically if someone does a reaction video, it won't monetize. They'll get the views, but it won't monetize for them. He's like, go ahead and make your money off of it. Yeah, which was strictly for the people. Smart man. He went got small part of the way. You're smart man. He out maneuvered them.
Speaker 4: I want to say, out bar them and then and then he made a bot at the end, like not like us. It was just a bot. Like it's about you can't be mad at it. It's about I think.
Speaker 1: I see the interview with you in two thoy eighteen and they asked you who is who is the new generation? And you named the Big Three. Back then you said you said.
Speaker 3: I saw it coming. I saw it coming.
Speaker 4: I remember when they was all running together, Wilet, Cuddy, Drake, Kendrake, you know what I'm saying. Nip was in there, but Kendrick Man, he just different man. I went to see his concert, his his big step is concert mister Morale, and it, like bro it was. It was one of the illest concerts I ever I put it top three, and I seen Mike and Prince Wow. I put it top three. Ken Kendrick showed his last tour. It was insane, bro it was and it was like black Art, like if you ever get a chance, I think it might be still up on one of them streaming networks or whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say the name, but look for it. But it's bro.
Speaker 2: I went. I went on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I was in v A.
Speaker 4: I went on a Tuesday in Charlotte because the tickets was just cheaper, right, So I go to Charlotte, stay to night, see the show. I'm blown away. I drive back the VA Wednesday and he's in DC Thursday. I woke up Wednesday like I might go see this ship again. It was that fire like it was. I just and I love how he pop out and then he just go back home. He just go back inside. You don't see him no more until it's time to see him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, because this is something that I was conflicted with, right, And I seen Jada Kiss comment on this when j Cole came out right, they covede this this this, this is this record and then did a concert and almost like he apologized, not almost he apologized, and a lot of Battle Rappers was like why, like why, But then he said something that was conflicted with me because if I'm sorry, sometimes I just got to be sorry.
Speaker 2: Right like I don't care.
Speaker 8: What what what? What's what's the criteria of that being? And we was like that it ain't sit right with my soul. That ship touched me as a man that been through older I've been through. That touched me. But then the other half of me like, nig fuck, why you say sorry? Like so where did you? Where did you sit on that?
Speaker 4: When I looked at the video and it was like Ja Cole apologized as the Kendrick.
Speaker 3: I looked at the video. I didn't get apology.
Speaker 4: The headline that headline was why he did?
Speaker 2: He got up and he was.
Speaker 4: Like, yo, I did some ship. It wasn't really in my heart, you know what I mean? I knew it when I did it. I put it out there. I was I ain't even really go one hundred because that's my man, that's my friend. But I did something that was out of my character. And if and if he if he wanted to take it on the chain, cool, if you want to come.
Speaker 3: Back in and smart up.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: He got that, but I ain't standing on that because that ain't how I really feel. And what people got to understand is when you got friends in this game, it's a little different. Okay, we talked about that last time, like, if you're my friend, I'm not gonna do anything publicly just for a look to.
Speaker 2: Play you out.
Speaker 4: Like I went through that with one of the wrap ups, Like I remember when the Entanglement shit happened. Everybody was like, yo, I can't believe he put Will and Jade in the wrap up.
Speaker 3: I'm like, that's my friend.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna waste a twenty year relationship for a punchline for y'all niggas for a song you don't even buy.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 4: That's my that's my friend. So I'm going to see them at a barbecue. I'm going to see them at a birthday party. I'm supposed to put that in the wrap up for you. Now, I'm cool, And.
Speaker 2: It might have been like it might have been like.
Speaker 4: Only five people to ask, like, damn, I can't believe he put that in there. Everybody was like, yo, the Druman's crazy.
Speaker 2: It was dope.
Speaker 4: They ain't even they ain't even miss it. I'm like, I'm not risk in that relationship. And I think Kendrick and Cola friends.
Speaker 1: You know, I also said something on Twitter. They fried me for it. They fried me for it, and I enjoyed every moment. I was like, Yo, Kim, Drake and Drake. In a couple of years, we'll squash this and make one of the greatest records of hip hop history.
Speaker 4: And it ain't having You know what, I believe it or did I delete it?
Speaker 2: Did you believe it? Will you ever deleted it? You know why?
Speaker 1: Because you know why. I'm gonna be honest with you. I got to see Jay and I I's patching it up. I got to see Shan and ker rush One going toll and do that.
Speaker 4: I got to see that none of them got called the pedophile.
Speaker 2: Damn man, got it got pretty skating on this one.
Speaker 4: You gotta hold that. That's that's like and listen.
Speaker 3: I'm.
Speaker 2: Love fit audible. I come from battle rap.
Speaker 4: If I know that your sister got off the py shoe, you fuck.
Speaker 2: I'm say I'm puking at the ball.
Speaker 4: My rooms for the battle wrapping when we did it was if I'm in front of you and I'm blowing you up, and I see you ball your hands up.
Speaker 2: I won because now you want to fight me.
Speaker 3: If I can make you want to fight me with work.
Speaker 2: You already lost. So Jay and Nis, they were businessman. I get it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They grew it was it was always tension between them, shan and and and Chris.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Between them, and they squashed it. Squawks be bro, that's still beef.
Speaker 4: Last year I was with I was working with mass Appeal and Knobs on the fifty m. Anything they did, they had it in downtown and they took it to l A. I think it's moving around the world. Shout to shout to Peter in them. So I'm in there with Nas. Clark can't.
Speaker 2: Can you pronounce Peter the last name bitten bitten bender Peter.
Speaker 4: So it's me we in there, and and Nas comes in and and I I.
Speaker 3: Have seen I had seen Nas and years.
Speaker 4: So we're sitting there talking and Clark is trying to tell me how they want this thing done because they called me in because I put things together with whatever. So Nas is in there and Clark and Nastart talking I'm just a fly on the wall or whatever.
Speaker 3: So they talking.
Speaker 4: And and they start talking about the old days, and Clark said something like, yeah, you know, back in the day, like because you know, I used to DJ for day and day.
Speaker 3: And the Nas look at him.
Speaker 4: Like like like, Clauk, why you say that? Like I don't know, like I had to post on my walk about. So I started listening to Nas and I started realizing how big of a fin himp Hops is.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So I'm sitting there and I'm a fly on the wall, but I'm dead, but I just watched. I always wanted to ask him this question. So I'm looking at him and I said, I said, yo, Nah, I said, man, I just want to ask you this one question one time. He was like what I said, Yo, how was it when the bridges over dropped? Like how was it like when I tell you his whole and Ralph and Ralph? Him and Ralph looked at each other like two queens niggas. They looked at each other like So he goes, he looks at me with the most serious look in his face. NAS looks at me directing goes, he said, skills you ever seen a Heroshima bomb? Hit some projects and I was like, nah, I was like, it was like dang. He looked at Ralph, he was like, my son of my line. Rob was like, nah son, it was crazy. He was like he said when it dropped, everybody was like, yo, they heard about it, but they hadn't heard it.
Speaker 2: So yo, who got the tape? Yo?
Speaker 3: Boy, he got the tape? Hit the barber shop.
Speaker 2: That's worse. And they go to the barber shop and Yo, Bobby, what it take? Like?
Speaker 3: Yo, I gave it to l L got the tape.
Speaker 2: He up on the hill.
Speaker 4: So they running around trying to find a tape.
Speaker 2: You know what makes it bad?
Speaker 1: It wasn't just like because you know, it's supposed to be just between Krris one and and Shan, But for some reason, Karris wants to go on the whole birth Yes, and he said you didn't hear a peak from a place called Queen?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: And boy, when I tell you, that was not the best line, right. He created so many killers because we were like, oh, we're gonna make more than the peak.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker. You understand I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I told Harris one day he just put his head down and I said, damn, I didn't mean it.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean that, but I want you to face reality. You know what I mean.
Speaker 9: But it wasn't until el Madicus. That's funny, That's exactly what told. We didn't get back until me. He said, you gotta understand. We used to go to the city ninety one hundred deep and just wait for the motherfucker to play the bridge. If he played the bridges over that.
Speaker 4: Ship, the party's done and ocle raph when it sounded.
Speaker 2: Like word, I was dead, like I've seen it.
Speaker 4: He's like, yos soon as everything turned the yo, he said, Yo, we didn't He said, Yo, we didn't get back until me. He said, so you say something about queens you play that record? Nah, you got you got an answer for that? He said, Yo, we was running up on We running up on man line where your man is at.
Speaker 2: He said, Yo. He was crazy.
Speaker 4: He was crazy and it was like that he was like I said. I said, I said no, I said, what was the time? How much times mad? A little bit after that said I said.
Speaker 2: Not, he's right there. He was signed. The cameras know that this is way after that record.
Speaker 4: I said, how much time passed between uh South Bronx and and Britges over.
Speaker 2: He Uncle Robin was like, yo was like a month?
Speaker 4: He said, yos like a month, and it was how long did this thing last? He said, it lasted for years? And I know that I never record record And that's why I feel like when Queen's Cast came out, y'all came out with so much like we're not going back there like that, and you know what's crazy, That's what record was crazy.
Speaker 1: That's why that you know, the Nots and jay Z battle was so you know important, was because we couldn't lose that one, Like we couldn't lose that one. And you know, my brother like he's my brother. I love NOAs like I can hit him right now, will he'll correspond? But at first, you know, I know, I don't know if I e ever revealed this. He didn't think Jay was was going at him like people are coming up to him like you gotta love the cause little Jewel to reed, none of that food was getting fool with me and.
Speaker 2: I was like talking about about me and a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people was like, yo, man, it was so I think I think that the biggest battle between them was between them, like it really didn't have anybody gassing them. It's really just them too. But again, you know, I want to commend those brothers for going out there giving us a great battle and then you know, shaking hands on stage. I remember how proud I.
Speaker 2: Was seeing that. I know we're talking about the beasts and all that.
Speaker 1: How proud I was seeing Meek Milling and Drake squashed it like, letting them get over. But nas and Jay was the first stepping stone to that type of thing. Grow you Was it Jay Z's B side concerts concert? I believe it was, and he brung nads no no, no, General Barclays and he came out because I remember Jay had on the black.
Speaker 2: And on the green Army coad. Yeah, how much broke? Remember? So something else.
Speaker 1: That something else that I was looking at all your interviews and you said, people start asking you to subscribe Virginia, and you said something, this is your first line. And I don't know if you know this, but you said, yeah, there's something in the water, right And then before you know what I'm talking about, I said, damn, this motherfucking the name for reals, for real, Jack.
Speaker 2: You which one is it?
Speaker 4: Listen?
Speaker 3: We always we always said.
Speaker 4: That you know what I'm saying I'm just something in the water, but I might have been the first person to say it, and.
Speaker 2: Wrest I was the thing locally. I saw that. I saw that record you first.
Speaker 4: One fuckers, mother fuckers take my ideas like ship, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But when it's hometown, I don't you ghost writing ideas? Too said so, but how did you feel when you heard from announced that.
Speaker 4: I thought it was dope man, like I just I just spunded his his rap party for his movie.
Speaker 2: He shot the Lego movie.
Speaker 4: No not he got he got another movie clean out, like a real, for real like bio pic. It's called Lantis. I think it's called Lantis. I hope I didn't give it away. And I know I know he's debuting the Lego movie at Something in the Water this year.
Speaker 2: It's not so a minute, so I don't know what the funk I did you ain't it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't tell the story about doing the voiceover.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean this.
Speaker 1: If there's anybody in the world that can tell me to do something without giving me the full story, like he's just like yo, I'm doing the animated like I didn't put too and two together animated Lego like I was just like he was just like yo, so asked me questions. It was on the phone, we filmed it. We still send it to them. I believe he did or I'm not sure, but we and they never they never told me it was a Lego Lego movie. So so he drops the commercial and people were just.
Speaker 4: Like, yo, man, you tell.
Speaker 2: I don't want to surprised. I'm like I know. I'm like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you can't tell people to find a project just because they'll go out and blow it.
Speaker 3: Like it's don't telling Mary.
Speaker 4: Well you knew for all and Chad and high school. No, no, no, I met them. I met him at a trip called quest concert. Yes, yes, I met him at her at a trip called Courst Concert and Pharrell was trying to rap for Q Tip and I.
Speaker 2: Can see that. Yeah yeah, both tribe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the biggest Tribe fan in VA. Like, he was crazy about trip called Courts and he wanted to rap for him. I was just on stage with him rapping and the bus was leaving and he was like, damn they that's them. And I was like yeah, the bus at the turn signal. I was like yeah, and he's like yo, I got wrapped for Tippy got hit my beast. I was like, Yo, that's the bus leaving bro like about to cry, like you know what I'm saying, Like he like he had missed his shot. And then later on he connected with him, and uh, the rest was history.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: He's still one of the most influential people in the world, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like I love he man, like.
Speaker 3: I just talked. I sent him. Oh, I sent him a picture.
Speaker 4: The other day of of Fife, Rest in Peace Fife and Rest in Peace Dave from Daylight at that show, oh wow, because because Fife had to know every time, you know, fight would go to a city, he would wear the jersey or whatever the team was. So he had on a Virginia jersey. He had on the Virginia sweatshirt at that show.
Speaker 1: All right, let me ask you a cliche question. You ever thought Virginia would be this popular?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Not no, not not, you know, not not in hindsight, because like I said, when I first came out, it was it wasn't nobody, you know what I'm saying. It was just it wasn't even locally was locally, but wasn't nobody making no dents, and Teddy was.
Speaker 1: Out, but Teddy was Clanton Harlem a little bit Teddy Teddy was.
Speaker 4: It was rump shaking and then you know you had a killing then wrapping his little brother.
Speaker 3: They was hallm you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So they were shoot they shot the video Virginia Beach, but we didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't know them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So I tell people all the time, I was you know, I was the first one. So it's almost like I look at rappers now and cat's be like, oh, you know, I put my neighborhood on, I put my city on, and when I look back at it, I'm like, I put a whole state on because it really wasn't no nobody else from Virginia. Usually I was the first person you ever heard from of it, you know what I'm saying. Like Like, so for me, it's like, yeah, I'm gonna put a claim in there. I don't want motherfuckers to forget that it was me, you know what I'm saying. Like, And and once they came, I made it successful, you know what I'm saying. Shout out to Magool because I did my thing. And then they started doing they thing. I got dropped. You know what I'm saying. I wasn't. I was back on the local scene. Then Magoo pulled me back in. You know what I'm saying, Like he told Tim and Missy like, yo, we gotta get him. That nigga pen game is nasty. We gotta get him. And the rest was history.
Speaker 1: Now, now I heard you say that you didn't want to be a ghost writer, but you've seen Missy pull up in.
Speaker 4: The purple Ferrari Lambeau Lambo okay, with purple piping on the seats. Nigga still the hell in four Me and p Pablo seen that ship at the same time. You thought we saw that, you would thought we saw a ghost When that car pulled up, it was like niggas can have that, you know what I'm saying, Like that, She wasn't even it's not artist money, No, okay, she wasn't. Silvia was begging her to put the album and she's like, I put the album out if you give me a deal, like a like a label.
Speaker 2: Just before the group that she was in, No.
Speaker 3: This is after sister.
Speaker 4: But that was what Joe to see and Davante and then the swing mob that failed.
Speaker 3: So then they came from Virginia.
Speaker 4: They from They from Charlotte, North Carolina.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But they was raised. They had Tim, Tim was under them, junior wines like d m V. So yeah, all of them was around.
Speaker 2: She's the West proper cheese.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, God comes down and calls Nori.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday, Joe drink chest Man skills man, skills man, what up?
Speaker 10: I'm good you good man, while.
Speaker 4: Man, but always love you to bro. You already know always.
Speaker 2: Your happy birthday, brother. I love it you by.
Speaker 1: Recorded drink chest so as to say happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Love love. That's dope. Yeah, jose A good dude.
Speaker 1: He's actually getting the key to the city tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That's dope to New York City. Man, this makes a noise and it's his birthday. Damn. What the is I saying?
Speaker 4: He was talking about ghost and not wanting to be a Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: God came down from heaven said, mad, we need you to save humanity, whether you perform this song or just write this song. Would you prefer you perform a song or write the song?
Speaker 2: And I could I probably just write it. Okay.
Speaker 1: The God says a song you gonna write to save humanity doesn't matter what kind of criteria song. So what artists would you you want to say your words? And then what producer would you pick it to produce that record?
Speaker 4: Pharrell got to do the beat, God damn the beat. The artist, I'll probably say Kendrick right now, I'll probably think Kendrick, even though I doubt he need anybody write anything. It would be Kendrick with Pharrell and the beat. Last time that happened, that was all right. That was a anthem We're gonna be all right? Made that oly ship that's for around on the hook saying we gonna be all right?
Speaker 2: Do you hear me?
Speaker 3: Do you feel me?
Speaker 2: Yo? You wild? I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I'm not even gonna act like I did, Like that's that's gonna be my mission today.
Speaker 3: I'm an educating on the line of ship.
Speaker 4: Know.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna lie to you.
Speaker 1: Because it's something that I heard you say.
Speaker 2: You said.
Speaker 1: They don't give a funk right now. They don't even buy albums with credits, so nobody I don't know, Like I don't know sometimes when I look at a person's song, sometimes I don't even see people saying features. Right, Yeah, it's like it's like different, like you ever thought that, because you know, when we come from the era where when your album dropped, I wanted to know who produced it.
Speaker 2: I want to know who your A n R was.
Speaker 1: I wanted to know where the address was for your record label.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know who your management. Who are you thinking? Who was your thank you? Your thank you?
Speaker 3: Yet that's how I learned rappers.
Speaker 4: Really heard you say that, like you got the published name Clifford Smith Ship that's method, man, you know what I'm saying. Robert D Like, I know, we used to play that game. You just throw out name Clifford Harris Man. We're gonna still that game We're going to.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so and right now they say it's just it's disposable music, but it's actually disposable everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, songs don't even songs be like two minutes long. Yeah, because people's attentions.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's like a TikTok era. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: These kids they just want to get it and go to the next one, you know what I mean. So the songs be so fast and sometimes they catch you. Sometimes they not and then sometimes these kids can't even perform these songs. Like you see him live and you're like, damn, damn that ship. Yeah, I should don't hit this. They damn near made it in a vacuum. I don't even remember what bro The song ain't even mixed. They just uploaded it and it went, it went crazy. You know what I'm saying. That's that's the problem. Like I tell, I tell these kids a lot, Like I'm like, yo, man, listen, I'm like, I know it's I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that you're hot because you got dismounting numbers on TikTok and you got a million views and da da da da. You can fake the views, you can fake the followers, you can fake the likes, but you can't fake making people care. You can't fake that. So if you can, you can have eighty million followers. You show up in VA and I and I heard that it was only forty people with the show last night.
Speaker 3: I already know what that is.
Speaker 4: Like y'all, y'all faking the funk like on some real shit, you know what I mean? Like, you can't fake making people care. Man, the records gotta connect if they don't connect, keep making records.
Speaker 2: Right, who's the upper couple of artists you listening to me?
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's a couple of cats from from VA that I'm checking now.
Speaker 2: It's a cat and they.
Speaker 4: Noah, oh, he do a lot of stuff in this Noah, like you know, hey, h dash oh look him up, don't don't a couple of cases can Michael Millions. He's a good engineer and he's a dope MC radio b It was a few casts from my city that have have have put their clan. They lyricists, you know what I'm saying. They care about bars and and this line connecting. It's not just oh I gotta catch you help, it's it's it's some people that are still trying to keep the lyricism thing alive.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate that as an MC.
Speaker 6: Now just wait, do we think that the Kendrick and Drake thing is enough to bring back that into the.
Speaker 4: Enough because we already back to the stupid records. But but but Kendrick rapped circles like he rapped it was and it was so it was so crazy listened to him because even when I listened to one record, he would change his voice full time.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was listening to four people.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, oh, that's four different money. I'm saying, like, so, I don't know if Kendrick and and and the Drakes and the j Coles are enough, because you.
Speaker 2: Know, back in the day, we had way more than three lyrics. Three.
Speaker 6: You couldn't get a zeal, if you didn't have a good bars deal, if you couldn't get a ball.
Speaker 3: They didn't sign this ship.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's a change of climate, man, And I'll never be I never discontinue with disrespect a young black man that's helping his family get out the hood, get his mom a crib, helping us to go to school. I don't know what kind of music he made, you know what I'm saying. If you did that for your family, off of that one little song you did, I got love for you, young man. I just hope, God, I hope you realize that as you make more music, it's more to you than just that.
Speaker 6: Well, it's not the sorry, it's not the creator. I don't I don't ever felt the creator or someone that's making the music that might do its thing. It's the audience that's changed what they like, the appetite of what they're into, you know, and it used to be where they were more cerebral and then went way far from that.
Speaker 4: I just did a project, maybe like two weeks ago. I put out a spoken word project, and it's more like poetry.
Speaker 3: Like it ain't even I'm.
Speaker 1: Not even rapping what spoken word is poetry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's it's called the Seven Number Ones. But it's it's almost like some of the stuff was so personal. I just felt more compelled to just say it than to try to wrap it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I just took another lane and I like to see all this grow and try new things, Like because you get stagged the man, you don't want to keep doing the same shit over and over again. That's why I quit the wrap up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know, if somebody told me sorry, bounced around real quick. You know who the real ultimate winner is of Drake and Kendrick. You know, they both on the same same label, ultimately Republic.
Speaker 2: Universe, the universe.
Speaker 1: Someone that was in the system so me that nothing was moving while they was battling, like they put everything into my home. I think that I think that with l L and Cannabis. I see death Jam go crazy. I see Death Jam go crazy. When John and dmxics beef and they're on the same label. You think record labels benefit, of course.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Let me give them a regular label, a little bit of credit, a little bit of credit. I don't think they start the beefs, but I think once the beefs start, they know how to like answer.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think some of them have been instigated by labels.
Speaker 1: Maybe instigated, but I don't think full flex starts.
Speaker 4: A businessman as a businessman, if I start Coke and I see how well Coke does, I'm talking about Coca Cola. It's only Miami. I'm sorry. I'm a smart businessman. If I start Pepsi too, you know what I mean? Like the what's the old fat guy that died in prison that started the Backstreet Boy? He started the Backstreet Boys and he made that competition.
Speaker 3: They didn't even know they was on the same.
Speaker 1: They just said from Fore's on boy Nego. They just said that Negos got accused of putting out ice cream or bababe or whatever. And then he also controlled the bootleggers like he was making the bootleg Listen.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 4: That's when you are moving in that type of space. It's only right that you think bigger. You know what I'm saying, Like think big man, like stop thinking small. Put put your own competition out there. It's crazy. We only have no no male groups. I said to my other we only had no male singers one when he got a group, ain't no new addition, no no, no type of boys. Man, we don't even have. We don't have none of that. And I feel like every eight or nine years, we should it should happen, you know what I'm saying, should be a boy group out right now killing it outside of one more shot to one more, which is one ye from boys the men. He got four sons and they killing it. But that's it. I mean, groups have gone away completely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't body want ship the money more? And that's crazy, that's crazy. You think about right now, probably Bro's brothers.
Speaker 4: There's probably three brothers right now that grew up together in Tallahassee and they probably can sing their ass off. They don't even want to split the money with their brother. It's like, will we ever have another wu Tang clan, like, right, that's true.
Speaker 2: It maybe what the young the only one?
Speaker 6: Now I think it was maybe what flat flat Bush zombies? Then before that our future who odd future? But migos, is it not only three?
Speaker 1: And then they ain't even maybe a littlan you just stay over there, spit three niggas, come on, man a vegan pizza, come on?
Speaker 3: Just who was different?
Speaker 4: But I think a lot of signs we get people they don't even want to be clicked up because they like I got split it with homie and Homie I don't want to do that. So now that's I think that's why we get so many songs. But it's just like a solo artist.
Speaker 6: You don't think labels also is just they don't want to deal with groups anymore either.
Speaker 4: I think, say, bro, if something come across fire and it's and it's already blowing up, it would make sense for them, like, let me find two singers that could just sing like we'll never have another shot today, you know what I mean, Like the day's over.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. Don't nobody want to share nothing?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you got discovered by Q tip? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, hands down, he said, And yeah I wouldn't be here without them. Shout to tryal request getting it ducked into the rock and rolls. That's right, yeah, so and shout to you know, I leave jerobe.
Speaker 2: Yeatnam Man.
Speaker 4: I definitely I owe a lot to that man, you know what I'm saying. And I'm very grateful that he pulled me out of that tree and he said, spinc some balls, you know what I'm saying. I wouldn't have it wouldn't have been no Mad Skills without that moment. So I'm happy that it happened, you know what I'm saying. Shout the Q tip, the abstract poetic little sin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's impressions. Yo.
Speaker 1: Can we put up that clip? That's so the group chat, the second clip, not the first one from the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then later on because.
Speaker 3: I remember I said I didn't know if I had his number.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got check and you was like, YO, make that call now you got your number, and I was like, I don't think you're gonna answer.
Speaker 2: You made We thought you thought he had you blocked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was not blocked, and he picked up y'all kicked it, y'all checked it, chopped it up.
Speaker 2: I believe you said one tear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe it.
Speaker 2: I tell the dope moment, Now, that was dope. That was a dope moment.
Speaker 3: We hadn't talked in like almost ten years.
Speaker 2: That was a dope moment for us.
Speaker 1: But to be honest with you, that was a personal moment for you and him. So since the show, you know, we're trying to do our more. We check up ship. Yeah, yeah, what happened six years ago. I definitely have connected with him.
Speaker 3: We talked. We talked a lot.
Speaker 4: I went up to his crib and we spun like a DJ set together, like a you know, four turntables too two.
Speaker 2: He went back and forth. He do it.
Speaker 4: He does a stream on his on his platform. And I went up there and hung out with him. It was just good to see him, man. You know, it's that's the homie.
Speaker 2: Man. I love that dude.
Speaker 4: I told the world I filled up. I filled up to passpars. I seen the world messing with you as he Jeff Man. So it's super dope, super dope dude. Man, I love him.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. My brother, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: So I wrote on the jet with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I saw that picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then so I believe it's a dead back the way back. It was just being him and I didn't want him to ask me about that movement because I didn't know if that But what's crazy that this is.
Speaker 2: How you know this man been all over the world.
Speaker 1: His wife opens up like a package or something. She had every charger.
Speaker 2: Ever made, all the adapters. That's that's the charger. You understood what I said.
Speaker 1: She had Germany, even though they probably the same, you know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: A different I was like, yo, I was like, cause I was.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was getting up and I was like, I'm gonna go to my seat and get my charger. She was like, I got you. I looked at I was like, what the fun every day? That's how you know of a person just well traveled man.
Speaker 2: What's the favorite place you've been to?
Speaker 4: I'll probably say Australia. Australia was clean. It was the cleanest city I ever seen. Couldn't believe clean and clean.
Speaker 2: And diesel kangaroos.
Speaker 4: Yes. Sydney, Sydney, Australia. Thailand. We got beautiful beaches there. Place called food cut.
Speaker 2: These are places you performed at Yeah okay.
Speaker 3: And I Love La.
Speaker 4: I got a love a spy in La, so I go back and between her A v A. But yeah, man, Australia was probably one of the most pretty and kate town with with with the mountains and the cliffs.
Speaker 1: You did our show before we give your flowers, but we need to give your flowers physically face to face.
Speaker 2: Yes, what that you came before we started? Yes, yes, well bro, let me tell you something. Skills.
Speaker 1: When we made this show is to give people like you, people who staid.
Speaker 2: The test of time, who stood the test of time and.
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers stood on your motherfucking monkey foot and motherfucking did what you gotta do, and you dedicated your life to hip hop, and hip hop recognizes that we love you, we respect you.
Speaker 2: Want to keep.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I saw y'all get somebody else this and I was like, damn, I ain't get that before we started the traditional Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now this is dope. Man. I'm just gonna go up in the studio. This is this is power.
Speaker 1: But let me ask you a quick question. Right, this is me going through your disciography. Right, you clearly can make any type of music right, whether it's even like club music, girl music, street music, you know, bar music, whatever.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the fact that because some some like like some bars, even me knowing the record, I have to go back and be like, oh, ship.
Speaker 2: That's what the fuck he meant? Like And this is years later, like and I'm.
Speaker 1: An EMC right and sometimes you go over me right. Do you think that was Do you think that was a plus for your career or you think that might have been one of the parts because you might have been the smartest guy in the.
Speaker 2: Place and like the smart kid in the in the slow class.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean. Resource room Right now, I really feel like I've realized once I made that transition, man, I realized that people like what I say, they just don't necessarily have to hear it coming from me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So once I.
Speaker 4: Realized that and that light bulb went off, I realized that I could write anything and people call you know what I'm saying, and ask for things, and sometimes there's things that I can't even fathom that I get a chance to do. And as much as people like sticking to me for this, it was all for the wrap up, you know what, I'm saying like the wrap Up was a creation that.
Speaker 3: Came the wrap Up.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was something that you know, it started and people ran with it and did their own versions of it, and you know what I'm saying, but that that whole thing started on like stretching Bobido. I started did a stretch of Bobido freestyle like ninety three. It goes that far back, like from just some tying things together, got that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So that started in ninety three.
Speaker 4: So now we in twenty twenty four, and I almost look at it like how many motherfuckers did something in ninety three and they could still do it in twenty twenty four. Jordan can't jump from the file line no more. That shit ain't happening. Shack can't post up in the paint like he used to. So for me, when those calls come, it's because I was able to do that. Like even when the whole Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shit came in, like I didn't.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't know if I could do this, but it turned into something.
Speaker 4: And once I saw all of those people Iris El but Lisa Keys, Chris Rock, Kevin Hart, saying all them jay Z lines, and then I saw a blue ivy at the end and I was like, I did that.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I created that that call came because Yo, we know when it comes to this hip hop shit, you the dude that could connect them doves. That's how I ended up working with NAS and Massive Pill for the and the wrap up last year that the BT Awards, like, you don't get them calls if you're not.
Speaker 2: Good at what you do.
Speaker 6: And I'd imagine in answering to what you're asking that if you're a top tier lyricist, it's easier to come down from that creatively than to be to have no lyrical ability and try to scale up.
Speaker 4: Right, what I'm saying, like that jay Z shit. I did that jay Z rock and Roll Hall of Fame shit in nine days.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Like that that that happened fast, like Questlove call curated.
Speaker 2: I wrote it? Okay wow?
Speaker 4: Right? So so Questlove called because jay Z's getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and you can't put an artist up there and let them do allow me to reintroduce myself. That shit is corny, So they have to figure out a way to tribute jay Z, so jay Z will come because jay Z's like, I'm not gone, and they're like, yo, it's the rock and Roll Hall of Fame, like you you have to go, and you know, Hope He's like, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: Gotta do shit's with him and got inducted. No, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So that that video montage that played with all the celebrities.
Speaker 3: I wrote that word for word.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, so quest Love calls and it was weird because I was in a barber shop and he's like, yo, when when did you stop listening to jay Z? I was like what He's like, when did you stop listening to Hop? I was like, I said, what's the context of the question. He said, I remember you saying back in the day, like you used to you could hear a jay Z song one time and quote the balls.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, back he was.
Speaker 4: He was I used to love when Hope would get mad at niggas, like you know what I mean, Like when he was mad at Jimmy, was mad that he was a different guy.
Speaker 3: He really talked and ship.
Speaker 4: So I said, maybe, like I said, the last thing I really enjoyed was maybe four four four.
Speaker 3: It was super dope.
Speaker 4: He was like, Okay, cool, I need you to do your thing, your wrap up stretching my beetle things, but I need you to do it with all of the Quinn Central jay Z lines. And I'm like, I said, okay, that's that's gonna be fine. He said, IM about to pisch the Beyond. I'm about to piss the idea to Beyonce. So I'm like, okay, that'll be dope, he said, but I need it in nine days. And I'm like, y' I don't know if I could pull that off. So he's like, well, you might not have to. She might say no. So I'm I'm gonna hit you back, so he hits me back. He's like, Beyonce says she'll do it, but she don't want to do it byself. She wants other artists to save Jay's lines. And I was like, oh, that should be fire.
Speaker 2: He was like, yeah.
Speaker 4: So you're on the clock and I'm like, fun, so I'm listening to I'm listening to Dots affects, hole fucking can I get open? Stick your finger in the dyke and all like all of these I start there and I'm all the way up to four four four, so all of the quintessential lines.
Speaker 2: I will not lose.
Speaker 3: It's about to go down like all of those lines.
Speaker 4: So so he starts hitting me, and once I got the piece together, now it's the double entendre of.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna say the lines?
Speaker 4: So Beyonce is gonna say, what's better than one billionaire?
Speaker 2: Two? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like Dave Chappelle was gonna say, they say words are weapons, so when you shoot meets you death in less than eight seconds. So then the impart was David let Himan says David. They tell David Letniman, you gonna say I keep one eye open like CBS. And he's like that that's y'all want me to say that. Why that's not even a cool line. And they're like, no, no, no, If you say I keep one eye open like CBS, it's gonna be the coolest line of the whole ship. So Jay Jay is at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you just j not this is going on? No, okay, so this is no clue.
Speaker 3: He has no clue. So Jay goes to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: They do the thing and he just he's sitting there with Jay brann all him and this montage just comes up and.
Speaker 3: It starts with Beyonce.
Speaker 4: So they got the camera hole and they got the camera and thing, this is in the this is where the Cavaliers players. Thirty thousand people in there. So you're watching it live Cleveland.
Speaker 2: So boom.
Speaker 3: So they running through the lines and he got this look on his face like.
Speaker 4: Wow, and it's you know what I mean, it's Samuel Jackson, it's Tyler Perry.
Speaker 2: It's every it's black Hollywood.
Speaker 4: And they all saying my words, my words inspired by Jay Z right.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that one too, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they get to they get to the end.
Speaker 4: They get to the end and Blue Ibby pops up and she says, congratts s Carter ghost writer for the right price, and you know, and it's like it's.
Speaker 3: A curse word in that.
Speaker 2: So Jay is looking like.
Speaker 4: Yours my child on the Jobo truck and then she says the line she says about we he made jo hits tighter yo. So he stops and he like looks like damn, they got me. So he does his speech and I'm in the crib I'm in VA. I'm at the crib. I don't see this happen live. I just it's in a little splits of beasts or whatever. So I wake up and it's like two in the morning and I got a text from quest Love. He was like, I said, how did it go? He said, Yo, he loved it. It was crazy. Jay tweets, he tweeted, and he don't really have a use tweeter like that. He tweeted, Yo, whoever made that video package? I'm a cry in the car. That was amazing. So I'm I'm like, damn, that's that's ill. So then I get a text from quest Love and he's like, yo, Jay about to hit you. So I'm like, yea, all right whatever, Like that's just right. So I go to sleep. It's two thirty in the morning. I go to sleep. I wake up in the morning. I got a text from Hole and I'm looking at it and I'm just like.
Speaker 2: Damn, what does it saying?
Speaker 4: I can't really tell you that. I mean like, like, yo, you did an amazing job. Like you did an amazing.
Speaker 6: It's like I can't tell you look at it.
Speaker 2: But I'm.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying y'all. But it's the top joint.
Speaker 4: But I'm waking up to text you hold and I'm like, yeah, that's how And I'm like, Yo, this is crazy, man like for Hole to say, Yo, what you did was brilliant, man Like amazing, you know what I'm saying, Like to.
Speaker 2: I'm fred.
Speaker 4: I can even hear the laugh, right, you know, you don't get from Hole every day.
Speaker 1: By the way he writes bars and texts. He's still writing bars.
Speaker 4: So man, so you know, for me to have that moment, and you know, rock and roll halls fame, that's forever.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Every year around his birthday they post that video, you know what I'm saying, and I just be sitting back like the proud father in the room, like yeah, I did that. And it says a lot that you got to call like a fucking superhero.
Speaker 1: We need this right, like quest loved the King of like ordination, because it's it's almost like, if you want to if you want hip hop, if you.
Speaker 4: Want to congratulate, to celebrate hip hop, and you wanted to be done right, it's only a few people you're gonna be able to call.
Speaker 1: I think it's a little less than for you, right, I mean, how did I think about it.
Speaker 2: Especially with proper historical context? Ouse, who else you expect enough that you think that could do this?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, black thought could Okay, I thought.
Speaker 1: What I mean by that is like you're making it makes sense and didn't have the crowd participate.
Speaker 2: Like what you did at BT Awards was like.
Speaker 1: So fucking I know, I'm bouncing around, but it was so brilliant because you were showing love to the to the to the to the old school, but you was even showing the new school people that was dead that they actually subconstoantly knew this.
Speaker 2: Like I was watching this ship by the way there, Yeah, we were there.
Speaker 1: We were there, so so we were watching the old school people feel appreciated, but we were watching the new school people.
Speaker 2: Feel a part of it.
Speaker 1: I bridge the bridge in that gap like that, And I was like wow, and you you was I say this behind your backs, got to say it to your front face. You were so brilliant of using the lines that was like so so like like because you heard this in your mom's house university, they knew the hip even if they didn't know it, even if they never heard that record live or heard that record. If you say somebody that's grown up in hip hop, you have to Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that was that whole fifty fifty if year hip hop wrap up. I didn't even want to do that ship like when they called me. When when Jesse Collins called me.
Speaker 2: That's the guy that produces BT, he.
Speaker 4: Produces all of the awards shows. He called me and he was like yo. When he pitched it, He's like, I got an idea I want to pitch to you.
Speaker 3: I was like, what's up.
Speaker 4: He was like, I was thinking about a fifty year hip hop wrap up on the BET Awards and I was thinking maybe you could write it. And I was like, yeah, I could do that and he was like yeah, okay, cool. So let me know who your people is and I could make the connection.
Speaker 3: Da da da da.
Speaker 4: I was like, well, who who's in it? He was like it's for the BET Awards. I said yeah, but like, who's gonna who's in it? He was like, I was thinking you was in. I was like, I'll do it for you. I heard what you say. He was like yeah, he said, but it can't be no longer than two minutes. He said, I know. I know, asking for you to wrap up fifty years hip Hop in two minutes. I know you're gonna miss some shit. It's cool, but can you do it in two minutes? I was like yeah, I said, who, who's gonna say it? I'm still nice? I was right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was like, so you could knock it down, send me a draft.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get you with Adam Blackstone and then we're gonna rehearse and then we're gonna shoot the awards on the twenty fifth. So I go, who's gonna say it? He was like you, I said, say what he said the rapper I said on BT. He was like yeah, I said live. He was like, yeah, we the was is live and you remember it this minute it was Remember it was a writer strike, so it wasn't no writer right, but they but if they if they didn't do the show, they would have missed the fiftieth year hip Hop.
Speaker 3: So he's like, I was thinking, you can do it. I was like, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I said, well, yo, I had I had a gig with out of town, but let me call him and tell him I'm gonna have to cancel and I call you back. Let me just let me cancel this gig. He was like, all right, cool, hit me back this myself. I hang the phone up. I look at my man said, I'm not doing that shit. He was like, what do you mean? I said, Bro, I'm not getting on BT and doing no fifty year wrap up.
Speaker 2: He said, who else they gonna get to do it?
Speaker 1: Skill, I ain't gonna lot who's your man name? Let's pick him up money DJ Money exactly if I was in the car with you when you got that call, that's exactly how I.
Speaker 4: Show so much time the story goes. So he says, I said, bro, I can't do that. He was like why, I said, Bro, do you understand I've done the rap up for twenty years. Do you know what it's gonna look like if I get on TV and fuck up the wrap up?
Speaker 3: And he was like, you're not gonna fuck that shit up? I said, Bro, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't be boring like that.
Speaker 4: I just right. I ain't even I gotta do a red car. I'm not doing that shit. He's like, Nah, you gotta do it, Son, you gotta do it. So they talked me into it. I go to LA, I wrote it. I wrote a small piece and I did it over the instrumental for Maybag Music right, just as a skeleton, like this is what I wanted to sound like. I want the band to play some crazy strings. I wanted to sound ill that we're gonna I get there. They got the shoot on the on the Jumbo on the tail, the teleprompt. I ain't never fucking looked at a teleprompt. I'm rehearsing this ship. I'm reading the words the lady on the teleprompt that got the ship all back. But she got DJ cool flash after.
Speaker 2: The hand bottle.
Speaker 4: Like I'm spastic because I'm like, this ain't right, like so, but you know, oh, you get two minutes to rehearse, then we gotta go on to I'm like, y'all, bro, I'm not doing this ship. I'm telling about whole I got my whole squad, and I'm like, bro, I'm not doing this shit. I'm not going on TV and fucking up the round. I'm gonna be a mean bro. They gonna I'm gonna be playing for the rest of my life. They're like, nah, you got it, you got it. I go back to rehearsal the next day. She got the names right, but I still don't. I still don't like it. I'm like, yo, so, how's the big play like? Your skills ain't no band? I said, what you mean? Shout added black song? He said, Yo, it's just tracks.
Speaker 2: I said, well, Yo, what the fuck the nigga's over there with God.
Speaker 4: Last for He said, Oh, that's for Bust the tribute they doing, I said, I said, but it's not real. It's just the track. I said, Bro, you want me to do it over Mayback music? He was like, nigga, you got beef from Rick Rosses. I said, Bro, I fuck y'all was gonna play something live? He said, skills, It ain't no band, he said, trust me, just do it over the track. I'm like, if I do it over the track, then that means I gotta spit it. It's got to be on tempo. If I fuck up the beat, keep going with me. How far off from the show two days out?
Speaker 2: Bro, I'm walking around in my head.
Speaker 4: Just what I was saying, these balls over and over because I can't funk up on TV show day come.
Speaker 3: You know how they do.
Speaker 4: They keep They get you there at ten in the morning, they keep you there all fucking day. Then the show comes, they start whole skills, You're gonna take you to your see I ain't even a no award showing years. I see I see you on the red car. I'm like, yo, this is it's lit. I get there. I'm watching everybody else'll farm, d nice and see light. They're doing all the little tributes on the stage, kicking priest, everybody killing it.
Speaker 2: But they doing songs.
Speaker 4: I basically got two minutes acapella at the BT war.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I go back to the trailer. I got the track on. I'm walking around. I'm trying to remember the ship. Blah blahh holy this bitch on the teleprompter, don't fuck it up.
Speaker 2: Skills are ready for you, mad, skills are ready. I'm like, fuck all right.
Speaker 3: I throw my fitt on, my drippings on.
Speaker 2: I go out there.
Speaker 4: I walk over and Patty Lavelle standing next to me, which was last time I said she was shooting the day you got. I'm watching Patti LaBelle. Patty LeBell goes before me. I believe she did a Tina Turner tribute. Patti LaBelle goes on stage, starts singing Tina Turner and forgets the words.
Speaker 2: I look at Twitter they dragging Patty LaBelle. I'm like, but you think they're gonna.
Speaker 4: Because when we at home and we watch a tribute, the first thing you think is when somebody fuck up, they we'll be like this, this is a call so and so to do that, he would have nailed there, and like, Yo, how Patty up there sucking up the words to get Patty out of here?
Speaker 3: They should have called letisy.
Speaker 2: They should have.
Speaker 4: And I'm sitting there like, yo, skills, you up. They put me on the fucking joint. I'm sitting in the middle of the stage and you know how the awards are. We need everybody to their seats in one minute, motherfucker. Still, Yo, I'm gonna call you fan.
Speaker 2: Noise, don't around, don't don't hit my arm.
Speaker 4: Brother all this ship we're live in thirty minutes. I'm sitting there like saying the words back and forth, back and forth. All right, and we're on in China. They do the countdown. You hear MC light, go ladies and gentlemen, introducing mad Skills.
Speaker 2: I walk out.
Speaker 4: The fucking music starts playing and I look right in front of.
Speaker 2: Me and it's Buster Rhyme sitting right there with his family.
Speaker 1: And Bust they got the lifetime.
Speaker 4: So Buster is sitting there with his whole family. You can't the dudeon Dragon. I say the first line of the song a y'all was born in seventy three, not even she would realize what she would grow up to be. Buster goes facts, you know, and I just look at Buster and I just started saying the rest. It was almost like when we were in a cipher you spend with me, I said the whole shout out to Bust the rhymes. He probably don't even know how much he helped me that day because I.
Speaker 2: Ain't even looking at it. Tell Aprodum.
Speaker 4: I just I had somebody that was hip hop, h my lifeline, and I said it and I spitted the bus And when I got to the last line, you never thought that hip hop and bus was like take it this farm shot bus man.
Speaker 1: Because you know, I want to I'm gonna say skills you know, were a big of BT real quick because for the past couple of years, like them me even having you like to know that you you to curate that section and the Awards show, like their ward show, I've been going I'm not a war show guy, because I got a d D. You know what I mean, Like I move around too much, you know, from the resource room, special education, which up, y'all, you know what I mean. So you know I haven't I haven't been good, but I've been going these last years, and not only have they made me feel welcome, they got the getting it would say, I would say they ninety eight. Of course on the award show is always gonna be hiccups. It's it's gonna be an artist that wants yellow peanuts, you know what I'm saying, and.
Speaker 2: Purple grenades. You know what I'm saying, Little peanuts and purple grenades. Yeah, you know how that ship is. So you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But they've been doing it and I wanted to big up you know, the whole bet staff man being professional and in that whole statu Yeah Jesse, Yeah, yeah, Jesse's doing.
Speaker 2: His thing and moving on.
Speaker 1: But you just picked him up. But I want a big mom because I spoke to him this morning. It's crazy because for years since recently, back then on Violator, we would both be late night guys like him, stay at the studio late, you know. Now I'm on early in the morning person like I'm up and me a bus I only speak the bus from five to seven in the morning, right and he's going in I'm waking up. So we've been missing each other. So the other day I just called them and I was just like, yo, man, and I was like, don't change the subject.
Speaker 2: And he was like, what do you mean. I was like, don't change this stuff.
Speaker 1: I know how you you reflect, you turn it back on me and I don't want the props right now.
Speaker 2: I want to just talk to you. And he was like, what's up.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, I don't think there's no other artists doing it at the level that you're doing it for this long. He's selling our shows every fucking night. And I say, in your outfice looks like he's twenty fifty nine, Like he's not. He's in a few he passed, he passed me. He's on some different shit Like I'm I'm looking at it. I'm like, yo, I'm just proud of him and it's my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you gotta love it. Man.
Speaker 3: To watch where he come from.
Speaker 4: In the trophy stipulations that bust and been through, he still got the same squad, still scratch it to a still split you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They still mash it energy, not even more.
Speaker 4: One of the best performers and lyricists artists in this.
Speaker 3: Game, man like I love where he coming.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's inspirational to watch artists from from our from our era still flourishing. You know what I'm saying, Like I get, I get a lot of flak for for saying this, but I still believe it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying Like I always said.
Speaker 4: It, and it's probably more relevant now today than it is when I was saying it. I've been saying this five ten years. There is no rapper bigger, more famous, got the best hip hop catalog, can wake up in the morning and do everything that he want to do, and go to bed at night and do everything he did that day and never changed who he was and is.
Speaker 2: As a person. And that's Snoop Doggie dog hands down.
Speaker 4: There is no rapper yo, bigger, more famous than got a better catabu than Snoop.
Speaker 1: Let me just say something, because I swear to God, I wanted to say this other than basketball volleyball. No, I don't think I've watched the handball, break dances, break fucked me up.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, don't just don't take the one chick for.
Speaker 6: Don't break dances, break break your legs back two of them from Florida.
Speaker 2: So let me just tell you something.
Speaker 1: I've never wanted to watch the Olympics in my life ever because of Sue Snoop.
Speaker 2: He was still being Snoop. He cripped walk with the motherfucker DRNK. That was hard. That was hard.
Speaker 1: I was like, I almost didn't I almost didn't want him to grip walk. But by the way, it was a white person crip walll yo. I don't know if you know what to say. He did it, but he represented hip hop so good, like he didn't have to burn, he didn't have to drink like you knew he was really his eyes were still on Snoop's eyes.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He represented America, but in the circle of America that's us.
Speaker 6: He did such a great job, every incredible jocket.
Speaker 2: When he watched the hurdles and the people with hurdles and they just like like, I'm like, oh, I was yo o.
Speaker 4: Other rapper yes yea from five years old to eighty five years old. That person doosed everybody for that age and still in between knows exactly who he is. Yes, you don't see him and go yo, Man, dude, look like Snoop dog You see him and go yo, that's Snoop Dog Like from a from a murder Case to the Olympics to America's.
Speaker 1: Is that the name album? From a murder Case to the Olympics? Bro, that's all. I don't know of no rapper in the world that could do that.
Speaker 4: And in his catalog and people always say, oh skills, now you that that that that that no Limited album was trash skills. Snoop don't got the best catalog and hip hop. I'm like, bro, when I say catalog, I say songs that people know you for a song that you are on and you're performing in your show.
Speaker 3: That's a part of your catalog.
Speaker 4: Snoop got so many records that you forget that he's on that transcend him sid hip hop. I saw Snoop Dogg in Amsterdam. This might have been twenty ten, twenty eleven. He came out on stage. Willie Nelson had a show the next day. Snoop got a show this night. I come to watch Snoop Snoop come on stage at eleven o'clock. This motherfucker performed forty five minutes. The first forty five minutes was just guest appearances, and they was all hits.
Speaker 3: I'm talking P I M P.
Speaker 4: You forget he on that he was gonna fuck them up and niggas because he was doing that.
Speaker 2: By the time this.
Speaker 4: Mother wugan did forty five minutes of guest appearances. By the time Midnight hit the first Snoop Dogg song he did, he was like, dude, superfly, I said, matn Snooper, you ain't even did none of.
Speaker 3: Your shit, hummy, and all your years dud do juice.
Speaker 4: I was like, I didn't realize he had that many songs, like Snoop has so many And here's another clincher, all of the hits they all got his name in them. So you on stage, are you going You don't even realize that you're going Snoop or Snoop dom Snoop, Like, bro, he got so many records that you forget he owned Snoop.
Speaker 2: Let be like, oh, he'll.
Speaker 3: Had no hiss. He he had no recess.
Speaker 2: I'm like yo. His last hit was twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: He was on fucking I'm living my best life.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna how many records he own.
Speaker 1: I forgot that.
Speaker 4: Nobody got more nobody ll I love you whole second second close. But Snoop got the best hip hop kalog ever. Because you don't think that he's on these records. The last thing that you think about when you hit one, two, three into the folk.
Speaker 3: You don't even know, you don't even don't register you.
Speaker 2: That's not even his song.
Speaker 4: That's Doctor Dre's song. When Snoop come on saves and go, that's not even his song. He got so many, bro, he got too many records. Man, Like, that's the one person I ain't met yet that I want to meet because I'm like, never met Snoop in my life.
Speaker 6: Two times alumni and I take you Snoop, I tell I tell Fuzzy told me he hit me.
Speaker 2: I got the text to prove.
Speaker 1: He was like, Yo, I'm gonna come and see you at the Olympics. But I didn't know what the fuck he was talking about back then.
Speaker 2: We know now.
Speaker 1: I thought he was hot, and then I'm like, oh, this nigga is hosting the fucking Olympics.
Speaker 2: One of the.
Speaker 4: American listen and he never changes who he is. That's the best part. He doesn't compromise himself. Doesn't compromise. You know what you get when you book Snoop? Love that dude?
Speaker 2: Who's your favorite rapper? Rock him? I can see that.
Speaker 4: My whole DNA is rock Him and Kane.
Speaker 2: Your top five in no particular order, no particular order.
Speaker 3: Five is black.
Speaker 4: Thought, Okay, number ice Cube, you don't like Ice. Number three is whole, just not as much as you. Number two is Kane. Number one is rock Him. Because I'm the type of person I can't put people in front of the person that they influenced, hole in front of Cain.
Speaker 2: But you can't. But you didn't put Snoop in there.
Speaker 4: Nah, Snoop famous, I said famous in catalog, no disrespect. I've never I ain't heard Snoop say a line in a few years and I'll be like, oh.
Speaker 2: That's a hard ball.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just Snoopy doing what he do, you know what I mean? And when he when he stopped focusing on trying to be the best m C and started focusing on making songs that people remember and being memorable, Drake taught him that he went into a different space but rock Him and Kane are my whole d n A.
Speaker 2: You realize rock Him didn't curse, Yes.
Speaker 3: He did, he did one.
Speaker 6: Somebody said, Mahogan mahogany, right, yeah, someone said, y'all, y'all lie into the people is.
Speaker 4: Such a dope record. I don't remember that the r missed the show. That's the only time I ever heard.
Speaker 2: Him curse your manicure on point.
Speaker 4: That's never just shut like I feel like every it's like a haircut.
Speaker 3: He got two hands. I got to take my hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's been shot. QUI quick time?
Speaker 4: You got it? Well, listen, what's going on with these shots? Who's doing?
Speaker 2: What? Sonny?
Speaker 1: Gonna drink from me?
Speaker 2: You got a ring? All right, Sonny? Come in? You want to drive? You? Yeah? He driving?
Speaker 4: Okay, You're gonna have to take some shots. You can make a small shot.
Speaker 3: We can say water shot, not water shot.
Speaker 2: Say small shots.
Speaker 3: Unless you want Sonny to drink for you. Who's sunny can drink?
Speaker 2: Money means you right here drink?
Speaker 3: Come on, Sonny.
Speaker 4: I'm doing the first one of them too, But I have one shot with me at least. Of course I've been drinking. Of course, I don't know this was sober Champs today.
Speaker 1: Have a shot.
Speaker 2: But I guess you felt what you're looking to see what you missed? No, no, no, this quick time is live, this is this is all we played this last you know the rules.
Speaker 3: I don't think we.
Speaker 2: Didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't get this and I didn't.
Speaker 2: So then you orders have some drinks here because you might not drink. It's up to you.
Speaker 6: Come on, Okay, So we're gonna give you two choices. If you pick one, you don't drink. Nobody drinks. If I pick one, nobody drinks. Nobody drinks.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: If you say both or neither the PC answer, we all drink. So if I say that, if I say the PC answer, we all got to drink.
Speaker 2: We all do that now we've.
Speaker 4: Been doing it, started this ship after I'll do like the flowers and this number when I was here and.
Speaker 3: I did give me, give me five rappers that have never been your.
Speaker 2: Top five, y'all niggas, they got me a quick time? You ready this one? Wait?
Speaker 4: One more?
Speaker 2: One more thing?
Speaker 4: Anybody that we mentioned this is all positive story, any story with them, just let's bring it up.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it. I bet I see where y'all going with this.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's the Colombian and the Dominican over there.
Speaker 6: Let's give him some small I don't have to be crazy because it's a long game.
Speaker 2: Karras or m share.
Speaker 4: KRS any story with cars. I do remember a time when uh he had a song and everybody in my neighborhood I had, I think the non fact that was I was popping a little bit. Everybody was like, yo, KRS got a song. He this ship out and I was like, what are you talking about? They was like, no kr Res got song. It's crazy, And I'm like what what He's like, Nah, he dissed you.
Speaker 2: You gotta go at him.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I'm not rapping against no krres one way I'm talking about So that I finally hear the song and I think it was MC's act like they don't know and he said he said, MCS can only better with punchline rhymes or something.
Speaker 3: He was like, that's the problem.
Speaker 4: You have no skills like and I was like, I don't see talking about me. And I remember, I remember there was this one thing that he said back in the day. He was like, Yo, if you're in the top ten or you I got already already got enough for you. So I was like, all right, I gotta write him around for Chris, and I wrote, I'm young, I'm like twenty two twenties.
Speaker 3: I wrote around and did Jersey.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this rhyn?
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: In case I came, because you know, Chris don't give a fucks. Back in those days, I might have saw Chris. He'd been like I was absolutely talking about. But I would hope that Chris will will see me say that and say I taught him well because I had a ball. I had some balls to him too, like he had everybody else. We need to ask him if that bar was was about you?
Speaker 2: The okay? Big L or Big punt hm hmm rest Yeah.
Speaker 4: I used to get a lot of Big L comparisons when I first because.
Speaker 3: We both had that nasally.
Speaker 4: But but hearing Big L back in the stretching Barbido days, when I would hear Big L and I started, it was two.
Speaker 2: It was a couple of rappers.
Speaker 4: That I knew they we were similar and it was common and it was Big L. But Big L had a rhyme pattern that I was like, if I'm a round I can't do that. I can't do what he's doing because Big L would do y'all, I'm a wild child with the wild style. Your guns go boom boom, my guns go pile pole from haul them up to like he would always do double syllables and then and so I was like, I can't ever rap like that.
Speaker 2: I already got a voice that sounds like him. Boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the voice he was Common was heavier to the line.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So if something happened and you to put it in a ball, coming already got it in a record by the time you say it in the sight of like all you biting Common see, like damn this nigga. But he was on Relativity, so Common Records singles was coming out of Crazy. But they were saying this in his first album when he was doing that that that's certain that flow that he had changed afterwards. Yeah, yeah, And every time I heard Big L. He used to run that that that pattern back and forth. But pun was one of my favorites, the way he would put words together.
Speaker 2: So I would have to say big punt l l O cannabis h y'all for realigas questions?
Speaker 4: All right, I Love, I love L. I saw I saw L one time back in the day at this club in DC called Love Nightclub. Sounds like L belong there violated days, you know what I'm saying. L was killing him, you know, and he was. I saw him going up the steps and and you know, just after the this after the second run running. So I don't really want to run and I don't want to speak to none of my heroes because running all fucking dirty, which is a classic hip hop Oh I have I have an extension for that run that run story tell. So I see L coming up the steps and L says, I said, Yo, what's up?
Speaker 2: Man? My name Mask.
Speaker 3: He's like, I know you all beat? Yo, you dope, man, you dope.
Speaker 4: You still't put it up.
Speaker 3: You don't put it on enough records.
Speaker 2: Beat. And I was like, I'm all fucking rocks, Like what do you want me to do? Like you want me to make him put my shit? He was like, yo, yo, put some more records out. Beat. I was like, damn some records, you know what I mean. Like the fact that he knew it.
Speaker 4: Was like, so yeah, I'll have to say ll he did cannabis dirty.
Speaker 2: But one thing I want to.
Speaker 6: Say about Cannabis is that we can't we can't say that. Like, I think people forget how it was that moment that Cannabis had when he came out on the mixtapes, on the Clue mixtapes, Oh insane, like the bars that he had, Like everybody was going crazy over cannabis, and I think what happened between him and LL kind of people forgot about that.
Speaker 3: He just caught a bad one.
Speaker 1: Ll L.
Speaker 4: LL is probably and this is just from me viewing him from then till now. LL is probably the most competitive rapper in the fucking world. Like he he seems like one of those people. He likes to compete, you know what I mean. I'll never forget when I heard the who Shot Your Record? And I remember seeing the video and Keith Murray was in the beginning with it was all black and white, and then they had box in the video and then LL came out. LL was like, your female rappers can get it too.
Speaker 3: I was like, damn what Foxy dude, Like, Yo, that's just.
Speaker 2: Like damn LLL.
Speaker 4: He still seems very competitive, which I guess that's you know, that's that's what drives him, and that's dope, dope, he still has. Wish I could have had that career like that career is amazing. To do what he did and to see what he's still doing. Yeah, man, I saw the love of doing that ship with the roots and amazing show. And he was doing all this shit. He was doing our songs, all walking with a panther. Now he wearing bell bottoms. Let that man do what he let listen from Queens, y'all got y'all the best borrow for the rappers.
Speaker 2: Man, that's my hero, Okay. I mean we know that Kendrick or Drake Kendrick. We already did that. Cuba coming.
Speaker 3: Coming hm hmm.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 6: I can't tell him that story. Well, please tell us. It's just us, right, No, I'll tell you. I tell you because I never told this before. So I'm all raucous, right. And I did this record call so Far, So Good, and I'm in Philly. I'm in Philly and somebody called this. This is in two thousands. Somebody called a studio phone. They call it stupid phone studio. My manager goes, Yo, it's a dude on the phone, and they say they want to talk to you about clearing a song.
Speaker 4: I was like, who is it. He's a guy named Derek Dudley. He say, man, it's common I was like, common common sense. He's like yeah, like oh shit, I'll get on the phone. Comic gets me on the phone. I'm like, he's like, yo, what's up. I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: He was like, Yo, so listen, I got this record man. And I think he was on Giffing or whatever he was on. He's like, and we shooting a video today. He was like, but if I don't get all these samples clear, they not They not going there's no budget, they're not going through with it. I was like, okay, why you need me. He's like, I Premo sampled your voice. And I was like, what record is that he likes. It's a record called the Game and I was like, huh he said the line to me. I was like, oh shit, that is me. He's like, yeah, Premot, scratch you into the hook, like, yo, where you at?
Speaker 3: You near a fax machine?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Can I get this clid like today? And I was like yeah. Like he was like, yo, if you ever need anything.
Speaker 3: Let me know.
Speaker 4: And I was like, actually, I'm all raucous. I'm you know, I'm still trying to get there, you know what I mean, Like I would love a verse And he was like all right, cool, yeah I got you. So I was like, all right, Bet said, we're gonna fact you over the paperwork. I said, all right, bet. My manager goes, who's my cousin at? He said, what do you say? I said, they want me to clear this record. My manager goes, WHOA get that ship in right, because I know how it is when it's your turn. Niggas disappeared. I was like what I said, maybe in the real billboard hip hop where it's raucous and common. Bro like we this ain't death Jam and Electra like your kids say right, we come from the same car.
Speaker 2: He like skills. Get that ship in.
Speaker 4: Right, said Bro. But he needs the video he needed clean today. He was like, I'm telling you, get to get the paperwork. I said, no, I'm not gonna. I called quest Love Yo is comic good?
Speaker 2: Is he good? Good?
Speaker 3: I called you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I called black though. He's like, yeah, yeah, good Bro.
Speaker 4: I said, all right, man, they fashion over I signed and send it back my record time. I can't find this right and Rashid I love you. I never told him this. I can't find him. The labels like, yo, this is the first single, this is dope. I'm like, yo, I got a Common com and gonna do.
Speaker 3: A verse on his perfect They like, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I remember I went to a lock show. Locks was NVA and I was telling styles and stop.
Speaker 4: I remember Style saying, yo, beloved, if sh it is up on you all the sun, the game is done. And I was like, I can't find this thing. And this Common was heavy on his acting ship right, So we get we get ready shoot, I hit Tyler Qui. I said, Yo, I need a verse. Tyl Lip does the verse. He on Rockers too. He's like, y'all got you, So we get me shoot the video.
Speaker 2: Common. Common kept going to.
Speaker 4: Different studios and they was trying to run you not used to run the budget up. So they're like, yeah, yeah, we need you know, we need chun king for eight hours.
Speaker 3: We need a full budget.
Speaker 4: Ain't no Rockers Like yeah, nah, we got twenty five hundred dollars. You got four hours in in Caught.
Speaker 3: It's not about to be.
Speaker 4: He finally cuts the verse and I'm like, damn, this ship is done. He killed DA six months later though, so my ship been delayed. I've been waiting on this verse. Chris Robinson's gonna shoot the video for me. Who's doing all his videos? But Chris Robinson's a little brother. Chris Robinson was like, skills, your video budget is so cheap.
Speaker 3: I can't put my name on.
Speaker 4: Rosin Rokys ain't spending no brand like that. I'm gonna do the video, but I'm gonna sign it off on my little my.
Speaker 2: Little robot Films.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, right boom, Chris shoot, heren't shoot the video, probably send me the treatment. Crazy I hit. I'm trying to find coming. I just I just want you to be in a video. I can't find a nigga again. We we nine months late.
Speaker 6: But you never got to hold him, so it's not like you don't know if he's thisssing you.
Speaker 3: But then here it comes it.
Speaker 4: Ass, here's the ship I got over, But here's the ship. He's in Budapest or some shit, shooting a movie, right, I think it was that movie with Angelina Joe Lee or whatever where they were shoot. They used to remember him shooting. They was doing the guns and the bullet remember that. I get him on the phone. I said, yo, man, like this is my first and I'm really I'm really adamant. I'm like, bro, I watched your career. I watched how You Move like we come from the same cloth. Like it's my video. It's the first single, and and this nigga tells me. This nigga says, yeah, I'm not I'm not really trying to do no videos right now. I said, bro, But Chris Rabbinson is shooting it. He just shot nine of.
Speaker 2: Your Laste that's the remember the Text to five video.
Speaker 3: He shot all his videos.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yo, Chris Rapbinson is shooting and he just tells me no, like blatantly, like nah, I'm not trying to shoot no video with you, And I'm like, what the fuck is this? Months later, he do a movie in a movie come out with Queen La Teeth just right.
Speaker 2: Remember he was the leading man.
Speaker 4: See I Love You. But this is the story. I got this on dreams, not to keep it a bean, and they promoted the movie. But they doing it like like grassroots. They at theaters like yo, Queen Latifa is at low sixteen and communists.
Speaker 3: I was with Jazzy Jeff.
Speaker 4: We was at the Palms in Las Vegas and Rashi is downstairs Common. That's he's downstairs with the little table out front and people coming to see the movie. And Jeff like, Yo, let's go downstairs and check out Common and Latifa movie.
Speaker 3: I always see that ship.
Speaker 4: Jeff going on, don't know okay, petty game my full I go downstairs. Common is downstairs chilling, and I see him and I'm looking at him like you you low key kind of just jerked me, like you call me. You called me one day and you needed something right there and I got it off for you. And then when it's time for.
Speaker 2: Me, you ain't.
Speaker 4: You ain't return to favor like yo, you I never think you would be foul. Like That's how I'm thinking. I see him, Hey, peace, Peace, how's the brother man?
Speaker 2: Peace?
Speaker 3: Peace King?
Speaker 2: I'm like peace. I feel like Lawrence f Fast. I'm like, yo, piece is not gonna say this, ain't And I want to say it to him so bad.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, how's the brother man?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: Love love, you know it's all that.
Speaker 4: And I'm sitting there going I'm really like I'm tight.
Speaker 2: I'm tight.
Speaker 4: The Jeff looking at me like, yo, what's up skills energy. Oh, we gonna watch the movie the whole I'm hating fuck this movie.
Speaker 3: We watched the movie.
Speaker 4: We watched the movie, We come back out, coming's still outside, Oh, Jesse.
Speaker 2: Jeff skills off piece piece, what y'all.
Speaker 3: Think of the movie? I'm like.
Speaker 4: Jeff was like, yo, it was dope. Man, told him, finally get to see you in the lead. Man, you don't He looked at me, and I don't. He probably don't even remember this. He was like, old skills man, what you think of a movie? I was like, yo, latif killed that ship. So I hold this grunge for years.
Speaker 2: He don't know this.
Speaker 4: He probably looking back like he probably gonna see this, like damn, I didn't do that video. And then like maybe like a couple of weeks ago, I was at the roof the Rooster did the Hollywood Ball and it was like the thing.
Speaker 3: They did in for the grads. It was Avery Jumble Brothers.
Speaker 4: And he came out and me and me and Rochie, me and com on stage doing E. P M. D versus going back and forth. So he probably don't you he't. I never told him this, but I was tight about that ship for years.
Speaker 2: But I had to let it go. But I was light go back to what what Style? So you again?
Speaker 4: Because I was just like I told Styles about the whole ship, you know, and it was, you know, it's the paperwork.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So Styles was like, yo, I'm not even smoking a blading like you're like, yo, skills and ship fucked up on y'all? You know this ship?
Speaker 1: What what do you mean by like the.
Speaker 2: Like, we don't be fucking with you?
Speaker 4: Hilarious like and.
Speaker 2: Every time I was seeing it was peace peace, How is the brother? And I'm like, I want to understand.
Speaker 3: Shut out the.
Speaker 2: You got a big holdo, holdo, holdo.
Speaker 1: So it was it was let me ask you this this before you keep going on. I can't believe is that word backpack, wrap up, derogatory?
Speaker 4: Hey man, I told you before. I think it's only two kinds of music. I think it's good music and bad music, you know what I'm saying. So they gonna categorize it regardless, and people gonna use things and they're gonna, you know, try to keep us in a box. But you know, right, I started, like bro, I started as a rapper.
Speaker 2: I've done. I'm a writer now I've done so.
Speaker 4: I did a movie since I've been going, like since I was here last like, and it was funny because y'all had rap Man on here right. I look at Supercell. I'm watching super Cell, just just watch it. Watched the first episode. I was like, damn, this shit is dope. I kept seeing created and written by rap Man. I was like, where the fuck do I know that name rap Man? So I know that name Rapman. Watched the whole series. I'm like, dag, I can't with season two. I come out tomorrow.
Speaker 2: This shit is crazy. Where the fuck do I know that name rap Man from? I went to his page. I looked at it. I was like, damn, whose son face sitting there? One day?
Speaker 3: I'm looking and.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh shit, I remember him. He used to do wrap ups in the UK. He started in twenty twenty twelve. He did wrap ups uptil like twenty eighteen. I used to see him all the time. I DMM when I go yo. I watched the show. I loved it. I knew, I knew your face you used to do. Then you used to do wrap ups back and he was like skills, bro, oh my yo took your shit.
Speaker 2: I was like, I knew I knew you.
Speaker 3: And he was like, oh, bro, man, I took your whole shit.
Speaker 4: I used to do a rap bulls Day and I was like, yo, I'm so crazy. So then I told him, I said, bro, to go from writing wrap ups to writing movies. I look at people like you, I look at people like Cube, I look at Queen Latifa.
Speaker 3: Like you know what I'm saying. I've done a film since then.
Speaker 4: It's a documentary, but still I'm like, bro, to watch y'all do.
Speaker 2: That and and and.
Speaker 4: And rise up like that the skies, The sky's the limit for all of us. Man, you know what I'm saying, Like hip hop is global. Shout the rat man man.
Speaker 2: And if you.
Speaker 3: What the episode as.
Speaker 4: Well, Yeah, dmx X because you know I had I had to X story before we was here, when X passed, when me and X was at the KFC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all remember when I.
Speaker 4: Was here last and uh we I went to the airport and DMX was at the airport and the flight to New York got delayed and my baby moms came back around and picked us both up and we went to get some chicken at KFC, and we walked into the KFC and the girls looking at us like, oh ship, I know these two niggas and she looking to X them say nothing. She's like, oh shit, I knew. And then DMX she's like, can I help y'all?
Speaker 2: Where you are?
Speaker 4: DMX is the information line. Let me get an a piece no skin. She's like, what, don't shit on my ship? And it's before boneless like any of that shit.
Speaker 2: This is ninety eight.
Speaker 4: So he I've never seen nobody ordered chicken with no skin.
Speaker 3: He got it, he ate it.
Speaker 4: We went back to the airport like five. We fly to JFK and it's it's a small plane, sixteen people in me and DMX in first class and he's telling me the whole premise of Belly because he about to go shoot it.
Speaker 2: And he's like, yeah, I got smoothie.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying he box for me and ship you know, I mean, nah, it's gonna be crazy. And I'm sitting there like, yo, this nigga is wilding like and it's me DMX and like twelve white business and everybody hears the story. It's a small store, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean? He come home. He go to Jamaica, shit, right did he come back? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But it's gonna be crazy like hype shot like a movie, and I'm saying, they're like, yo, can you bring it down? It feels a look you know you're not like yo, you gotta relax. But there was no telling X to relax. He was, he was how he was everywhere he went. Rest in peace to the dog Man. Messed that dude.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, used I used to drink wine and from not like.
Speaker 3: That sounds like.
Speaker 2: Trill quest of Brand Nubian. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Tribe, it's gonna have to be tribe, even though I love I love what Brand Nubia did in the beginning. Puba was one of my favorite rappers of all, but tribe tribe was it for me? Like when I saw trial called Quests, I saw myself. You know what I'm saying. They were the native tongues, that whole thing. They was the gateway too. You could still be yourself. I ain't got to be against the rapper. I ain't got to be from the hood, I ain't got to be try to be super sexy. I could just be that so trib man that first time.
Speaker 1: Oh you do what you fucked me up. I always kind of attributed that to my era, to phar real, but I'm forgetting for well.
Speaker 4: Got that from yeah, absolutely got it from Jungle Brothers. Yes, yeah, we gotta go further back. Yeah, try change my life. Like I literally, I literally have a T shirt that says that, and when I wear it, it's literally true.
Speaker 2: Like they really changed my life.
Speaker 1: I never told you like you know from Queen's I looked up to them so much and when I met wife, I tell the story because I took his line when me said, both know this and bo't know that?
Speaker 2: Do know Jack? And I was like, no, we know this and don't we know that?
Speaker 1: No? Gad wow, because no he buked that. Why you've seeing me like instead of me like like.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm getting you back.
Speaker 4: I was like, what that sounds like he was?
Speaker 2: He was like, I don't know which line I'm gonna take on yourself. Just shoot you know he's something I'm gonna get you back. And I was like, hey, but.
Speaker 4: By the way, I'm like I'm trying to he was.
Speaker 1: He was competitive, like he said, he didn't care like he he looked at everything like a sport.
Speaker 2: He looked at everything like a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like when I say a game, not playing around, I mean like like like like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm Nas or jay z mm hm, yeah, I can't pick one of that.
Speaker 4: So then he finally take a shot. I got a text from home in my phone. I did work with Nas last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you gotta recod Nas on timbolin, right. He watched me, oh shot like.
Speaker 2: You got a drinking there. Yeah, it's not in here, Okay, Jamie, Okay, he.
Speaker 6: Says he'll take whatever whatever y'all he wants my mohuna here gilt small shall I'll tell I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nas watched me on that on that song, but I just damn he really put me in the fucking dirts.
Speaker 2: What really came this?
Speaker 3: I came back to the studio.
Speaker 4: Tim played that be and I'm thinking they gonna play my So imagine coming back into the studio and you think you don't even know nobody's been in the room.
Speaker 3: You just come record. I come back in the studio.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking Jimmy Douglas then mixed it this this the clean crystal clean version. B.
Speaker 3: Come on, I hear splashyt.
Speaker 4: Dudes of gas I use ice jingle off my chest because my cast improved. Nice knuckle game. Ship to way of bucking change. I want the doe, fuck the fame, already made history. Y'all can have that. That ain't ship to me. I was like, God Jesus, like it was the way Nas floated on that. I wanted to say, take me off, but I was like, I got a song with no only nigga from Virginia got a song.
Speaker 2: With naves at the time, so I had to take it. But let me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, now you take it again and we ain't see you.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen. Oh that's not that bad. I love this one. By the way.
Speaker 1: I just want you to know they make that in a tub and Kindle makes that with his feet. Just so you know I'm just playing.
Speaker 2: I just played as a joke. N W. A Republican man, I wanted that one.
Speaker 4: Hm hm.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: Chuck D.
Speaker 3: Remember I told your teaching to college.
Speaker 4: Chuck D was one of the people that wrote a letter to the dean tell them to hire me. I still got the letter framed. You asked him to do that, Yeah, and he did it, and crazy about the letter looked like graffiti hand wrote it. It looked like graffiti. It wasn't a type letter signed Chuck the public Enemy. He wrote it like graffiti to the crazy.
Speaker 3: But in w A.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna say this, and I mean this because I don't think it's ever been a group that when they came in, they changed everything and the ship was never the same. Gangster rap came in and the ship never left since in w A. So I would have to say n w A is the most influential hip hop group of all time.
Speaker 2: So it's in w A. See me. I think they're both influential in the opposite.
Speaker 4: Ways of the coast. Like they're my two favorite groups forever. Yeah, I just know when when when niggas, When niggas realized that they could rap about their hood and talk some gangster shit, they never stopped, right, It never stopped. And the nw A hit the pond and that ripple and that motherfucker still going in twenty twenty five. And I think the next iteration of that change was Master p Yep.
Speaker 2: I think that changed a lot after you.
Speaker 1: It definitely did, definitely for good Okay, Cold Crush or the Fearest.
Speaker 4: Five I gotta go with. I gotta go with Cold Crush because Kaz was kaz was. Kas was a problem.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: Listen, I listened to them old tapes. Kas was a problem man.
Speaker 3: So it was mail shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, and you want to talk about you want to talk about changing the game.
Speaker 3: After the message the game changed?
Speaker 4: Yes, fat Nobody, nobody knew that they could rap about what was going on in the neighborhood for real until that happened. I sat down with Master G from the sugar Hill Get and I asked him, I say, Yo, when you rapped, everybody rapped the same way. They would say, a long ass sentence with a word that rhymed.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 4: I got some some some some someth to some some some something to talk. I had some some something and some some something watching it play basketball. That was how everybody rapped. And he was like, right, I said, who the fuck changed it?
Speaker 3: Because?
Speaker 4: Man, And he's but but here's the thing, because the first time I heard it was running them right. That's when I recognized. But melly mail came first. But I didn't realize, for.
Speaker 1: Lack of a better term, melly mail and was first because that I think it sounded like a pauset Mellie mil came first.
Speaker 6: Even though sugar Hill represent like Jack Kas, but everybody thought that they had to rap the exact same way.
Speaker 4: And then Mel and them came in and shortened it so that phrasing wasn't that long sentence with the word at the end no more a child is born, no state of mind lying to the waves of mankind. It was way more words rhyming in the change. Yeah, and once it changed, it never went the front back.
Speaker 2: W A did that? Nas? Did that?
Speaker 4: You had started changing that? Nobody rapped like that? Since you hear nigga rap like that, like, oh that's that old school floor. Then they got me eighty rapping like that. You know what I'm saying, Like it's not the same. But so I would have to say, Mel, you know what now furious for our co crest.
Speaker 2: I can't choose. Okay, I can't choose. I can't take you like to drink. So you got whatever? What?
Speaker 4: Okay, Biggie or tupac rest in pieces of both rest and piece both you better both?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: I met Pocket and elevated Jack the Rapper. Did we talk about this last time? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I met Big.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Stay with the elevator, because I've heard elevator stories with Tupac and they were always something crazy going on. He was in the elevator, jack the rap, he was coming downstairs. He had the call kann I vests on with the with the bandana. Was there a beef about the papa that was? That was the ship when Luke and them got the beefing with Death Row Pop going on Death Row Yet the Towers and Compton record. They threw that down in the in the in the in the Marriott, Mark Keith and I remember getting off the elevators crazy.
Speaker 3: I remember getting off the elevator and.
Speaker 4: I saw Russell Simmons and mc search right, and my man was like, damn, that was fucking that was Tupac. And I wasn't a Tupac fan.
Speaker 2: It's a digital underground. Yeah, so he's not involved in that beef.
Speaker 3: He wasn't involved in that.
Speaker 4: Biggie I was on the same label was Junior Mafia, Yeah, Big Beat, Atlantic Beat with Reef Shot my man Reef Daddy Reef, Yeah, me and Reefed in my whole first album. I remember going to I remember I stayed. I stayed two blocks up from Unique Studios, right, so you walk past Quad, you go down, Unique was dead. I was living there with Yeah, I was living there. I lived in a place in Big Beat moved me to New York so I could do the album because it won't those studios in Virginia like that, but because it was cheaper than for me to come to New York.
Speaker 3: I lived on.
Speaker 4: I lived somewhere in New York where you had no business living. I lived in like forty ninth six radio city apartments.
Speaker 3: I neet.
Speaker 4: I had a little maid that used to come marry every fucking every week.
Speaker 1: But I remember going into Quad.
Speaker 2: I wasn't what you said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was living New York.
Speaker 4: I used to get on the end of the you know, go down to rock and soul, get records or whatever. I remember going in the Quad when they gave Biggie the deal, Biggie and under Deal and me and the artifacts. It was like, yeah, it's about to be a rap yeah because yeah, yeah, don my soul. That was. That's the first record I was ever I love this remix is one of the to the studio big in there uh sees and I think it was Reef, I can't remember. Reef introduced me to him to him and un I can't remember. It was reef for somebody from the label Entertainment. Yeah, and I he said, yo, this this this mads kills and saying he knew on Big Beat. I said, what's up man? I was supposed to game pound and he was smart money. He said, damn dude. Them Tams is leaning, and he looked like I had on Tims but they wasn't fresh.
Speaker 10: Like but I'm like, I'm like, I'm like, I don't even know.
Speaker 4: This, nigga, I can't do that with Tims.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you got what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I really look like I work construction.
Speaker 2: I bring up like yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: So he was like and he didn't even He looked once and he was like, damn dude, them Tims is lean and Seas falls out. I'm like, yo, and was like, oh, so so we do he gets he he has he has my beat. Clark can't plays in the beef for Move your Body and he wants to beat, but Clark has already told me who wants big Okay, So Clark is like, you can't have that. That's Mad skills be and he like, who he on your he's on Big Beat, he's Kim and the label. Man, he was like, and the other one that's that's for Jay. He's like, man, you get this nigga everything talking about Jay and then Jayson and Clark goes, well, Jay is my artist, your Puffy's artist. He was like, man, but this joint is Clark. Come on, man, this man, come on. He was like, nah, man A promised that the mask kills. So he like, all right, whatever, we do the song. And I just I'm like, remember, I don't know no hooks. I don't know who the hook is. So I just lay three verses. Clark like, yeah, we're gonna put a hook.
Speaker 1: In Heredy and I take everybody.
Speaker 4: I sampled Big and Havoc from an old Mob deep record, So Clark biggie, here's the record and has to clear period because it has moved it.
Speaker 2: Everybody move your body and.
Speaker 3: He like, yo, you owe me, Clock, you owe me?
Speaker 4: And Clock like yeah, I got you, I got you. And I think that was I think the next record he hooked him up on was Brooklyn's finest.
Speaker 3: But and I didn't find this out until twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm talking to Clock on my podcast and he just goes, yeah, I can't tell you about that time big one and we I said, Yo, what.
Speaker 2: He could have had said, Yo, why you record? Yeah?
Speaker 4: He was like, yo, he said, because that was your record. I wasn't gonna give him your record. And I was like, but we didn't know what was gonna happen. And how Clock, I mean, how big was gonna turn to the greatest fire Clock was like, yo, you know me, I'm loyal like and I was just like that, that's dope, Clark, big up, that's my old g I gotta get it.
Speaker 3: Biggie almost had my ship.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. All right.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say they both are important to the culture. But anytime you say them two names, the first thing that popping into my head is the fucking battle. I never thought I would see today. And I love Killer, I love I love Jim, I love the lots. I never thought i'd see today with Jada without cam cam mm hmmm, because he was more entertaining, he was more funny, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And when I.
Speaker 3: So, when I looked at that.
Speaker 4: Battle, what I realized was that shot technician too, because that battle would not be the same. Yeah. Yeah, when I realized from that that the locks of brothers loyal, they friends, they brotherhood. They've done a million shows together, so for them to get together of her that night was light work because they've done that a million times. Dipset got together that night for that. They probably hadn't really spoke too tough before that, so I know, as outside of looking in, it was a it had to be a cold day and haul them the next day.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll tell you the truth. You know, I was, you know, they all my brothers. I love them both, but I was kind of kind of being nosy. And I remember the day before I just called them all and I remember, you know, Jim being one place, Cam being another place, and I don't think you els actually answered, but I remember me calling kiss and then hanging up and then calling Styles and they're like, yeah, you know right here, and I'm like, oh, like you know what I mean, Like they were together, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So and they were.
Speaker 1: They were they were like planning, it was rehearsing. So I think that that was the difference.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think. Let me let me go on the limit.
Speaker 1: Say, I don't think the Locks is overall better group than this said at all.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think either all.
Speaker 1: I think that night it was about who who had the better performance, who had the better.
Speaker 4: Focus, and that was them. I loved it as a fan of hip hop. It was such a beautiful night. It was and you know, to see that, to see them popping ship and getting hippy with each other, you know what I'm saying, not violating, you know what I mean. Yeah, yeah, you can tell they had talked before they like just don't say nothing crazy about like you don't say this nigga.
Speaker 2: But I knew.
Speaker 4: I knew from the beginning when when when Cam came out and said, Yo, y'all niggas gotta go first, y'all not home. You're not home, nigga, we at home. Y'all not home, and like reminding niggas like, Yo, these niggas is from because bro, they're not from the city, like nigga, we at home. And then Jaden looked at that nigga and said, Yo, hey, Kim, you.
Speaker 2: Live in Miami. I knew then, but man, it was crazy in the show when he said that was a.
Speaker 4: Beautiful battle man and hip hop won that night, So I would have to say the locks.
Speaker 1: Okay, rough riders a Rockefeller mm.
Speaker 4: Hmm, damn Yo, I'm gonna say, hey day, I have to say Rockefeller because I was such a fan of them together, Dame Biggs and Jay and what they created. It let them showing us black millionaires and businessmen, even.
Speaker 2: Though it didn't end up the way.
Speaker 4: Every time I hear it's a record by Rel called Love Love for Free, And every time Jay come on that record and the chords come on, you hear jay Z go, this is Rockefeller for live, This is Rockefeller for live. I still think about, damn what what that could have been?
Speaker 2: It would have been for life. You know what I'm saying. I'm gonna leave that subject alone. I knew you was gonna stay away. Yeah, it's like whoa.
Speaker 1: Or stay away from that one.
Speaker 2: Clue or flex.
Speaker 4: Clue is a Flex is a.
Speaker 3: Better party d J?
Speaker 4: I would say, then clue for me, I've been to a clue party.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 4: I've been in flex wite flex trying to mash it. Definitely different kinds of different kinds of DJ. As far as influential, they both Flex is super influential in New York City and across the world. Clue, the mixtapes that that was.
Speaker 2: Our lifeline for years, showed me the money part one and Columa not all that ship. They both controlled, one controlled this.
Speaker 4: Ye, yes, they both had different different they was getting money in different ways, but it was all under music and I it's still versions on Clue songs, Clue tapes that I still haven't heard to this day. I'm gonna say Clue. I'm gonna say Clue.
Speaker 1: I think Clue is the greatest mixtape DJ of all time. Yeah, and I think Funk Flex is the greatest radio D all time.
Speaker 2: Flex made me miss flights before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when Flex they pull over, I pull over, you pull over New York.
Speaker 2: City, I'll be like word.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't even understand that this is an act or if it's an act or not.
Speaker 3: I just do you really want that?
Speaker 4: I only got I think I only got one Flex bomb in my life.
Speaker 2: And now I did, uh literally one no. No, he hit a couple.
Speaker 4: I read, I redid the slick Rick record, Lick the balls, licked the ball. He loved it and and and dropped it and put the bombs on it and I just remember having that feeling like damn, like we we we in the city and fucking fledged dropping bombs.
Speaker 2: I knew what it felt like, you know what I'm saying only once though.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Kanye or just Blaze obviously producer wise.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm, it could be anything.
Speaker 4: Remember I would say, I would say just Blaze because he's a nicer.
Speaker 2: Person that's.
Speaker 1: Got a story.
Speaker 3: Kanye's story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this is pig polo Kanye. Yeah, okay, he lived a whole woke in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: I'm on Racers.
Speaker 4: There was a dude name Howie McDuffie, Okumber, how we make w fat Boy used to talk all slow, yo, kid, I could take you up the hind ninety seven yo. I'm like, You're like, I'm gonna take you over to this dude named Kanye you do beats for? He like he about to be the new high tech. I remember him saying that we go over to his crib and he got the the It was a rolling vs. Sixteen eighty, remember though. So he playing me these beats and I'm listening to the beast because I got a deal. My album's coming out on Racers. I got a budget, so Kanye trying to get on. He played me a few beats. He burned him to a CD. And I'm leaving and I'm about to get the train and go back to Virginia. And he writes down his number and his name or whatever, and he's handed me the CD for the beasts. I took him right in like twelve. So he's handing me to CD. I put my hand up and he did like this. He was like, hey, can I just explain one thing to you before you take these beats? I was like yeah. He was like, if you don't like the beats, you don't want to use them, don't put my ship on no mixtape, don't leave my beats.
Speaker 2: That's how e B. I was like this.
Speaker 4: He's like, yo, that's how you ain't the You ain't the only person that got these beats all over the place. So if you don't want to, if you don't want to use them, cool, Just I don't want to look up and you want a new WOOTI woo. And I was like all right, cool. I was like, all right, I got you, bro, Like no doubt, you know. I respect he was. So he hands me to see He's like no, but I'm serious. And I was like, all right, man, I heard you. I'm not young, I'm not a four year old. You don't got to explain something twice. So we at the door, backpacks on about the walk out, like.
Speaker 2: Utiful. It's the third time.
Speaker 4: The third time, so I'm like, all right, man, And it's in a little clear case or whatever. So he hands it back over and he was like, he said, yo, I'm for real man. He pulls it back again. Howie McDuffie goes this, he pulls it back. I said, yo, I heard you. But to the point I'm like, YOA, I really don't, don't. I don't want to shit, you know what I'm saying, Like the fuck like so between Yeah, he was that's my Kanye story.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: He was crazy back then. He was a little weird though back then. So did you ever get to use the beat? No?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I was gonna take I had one and I did like one, and I remember me and Howie used to play it a lot, and I was gonna go to I was me doing this.
Speaker 2: He told me not to do.
Speaker 4: I was gonna said he was going to go to high ninety seven and I was gonna wrap over it on Case Slate Ship, but I wrapped over something else because Casey was probably rest in Peace. Case Slave Case was probably the first DJ in New York to just totally fucking disrespected me, like.
Speaker 2: Like shipped it on me. And I was just like, wow, what you mean? I was?
Speaker 3: I remember it was now. I ain't say this last time it was.
Speaker 4: It was a video shoot for Styles had a song on Rackers with Pharaohmont Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was it?
Speaker 4: Called my Life? My Life? We was all in the video m O P Fox Rest in Peace five record.
Speaker 3: She was in the video.
Speaker 2: Were all at the video shoot.
Speaker 3: I go to the VIDEOSO.
Speaker 4: I go get a pizza, the uh taking steal in there everybody in the video. I go gets and piecea I'm walking back across the street and I want to say it's graph.
Speaker 3: I want to say Graph was out there.
Speaker 4: It might have been Papoos and it's Case Slay and this the drama was the hottest in the world. So I just me being me, I say, yo, man, like I can I said, yo slack?
Speaker 2: He like what up?
Speaker 3: I said, Yo?
Speaker 4: How can I get on the drama hour? And he ain't even look at me. This nigga said you gotta be nice, and he looked over there. I'm like, my man, my man, look at me like I'm from Vijay. We used to niggas disrespecting us, but you're not gonna do it for too long. So I'm like, I said, you're saying I ain't nice. He's like, now, I'm just saying, get on the drama, you gotta be nice. Still ain't looking at me. I go to Rucus the next day. I say, hey, nigga, I don't give a fuck. How y'all pull it off. I gotta get on the drama, our hot nice seven. I don't tell me when and when. I don't even funck how you do it? So how we McDuff he finest, finest slay Like Yo, I'm gonna come up there with the roucous all. I'm gonna bring fha roah, I'm gonna bring modest. I'ma bring quality. Had a new rapper the d Oe or whatever, and I'm gonna bring mass skills. They're all gonna freestyle on your shoulder slay like, all right, bring them up because it's just guest on the show. And I think this pharaoh, I think Parrol had a ba bather. Simon says, get the fuck right. I come up that bitch with a vengeance. I'm pissed. I don't even I think Most showed up Pharaoh didn't. They still let us come, So I go up there. This was this fifty cent had just dropped in the club. His going around. Most did his verse for Beef, the same he spit on the Sapel Show.
Speaker 2: Come to me.
Speaker 4: I said, Yo, throw the throw that throw that fifty shit on and they threw the fifty beat on and I blacked the funk out.
Speaker 3: Like spas and he goes.
Speaker 4: I get to the end of the I think I did sick like I was sick before Big Daddy Kane was doing this. I was sick when biz Mark he was a cute baby like I was doing all these I was sick when Bobby Brown was fucking dancing for shiit. I was doing all this shit. And he gets to the end of the free side and then he I guess the board op or whatever. I think his name was Malaki, and I heard he said a A A Malaka. He was like, yo, that that might be the hottest freestyle nigga ever. Split up here be like, yo, that shit was crazy, and I just looked at the nig and I was I just walked out, like I want to say. It's still on YouTube somewhere like look up Mad Skilled Skills, Case Slade Drama. I blacked out, like I lost it. But it was a good moment. But yeah, Case Slade lit a whole fire in me. So appreciate that. Rest and peace. As many of y'all know, Drink Chance wants to give flowers, but people are here to receive them. Giving flowers and celebrating our legends while they can still smell us. We have partnered with What the Flowers to create this mooonment where everyone can give flowers to the legends in their lives. You can now order a custom flower box for to someone you want to show appreciation to you by visiting www dot.
Speaker 2: W U t D Primo, Pete Rock.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm those are both my guys, man, So you're taking a shot.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, that's a good dream promote pre You know what Promo sampled me. You didn't get the diverse.
Speaker 4: I ain't get diverse in common either, but Primo sampled me a couple of times on the game and he sampled me on a j Rue song. So I'm gonna go with promo. I still want to wrap over promo be that's like my you haven't I have? I never wrapped over promo be what.
Speaker 2: You got one MI one one m C and one rock Damn?
Speaker 4: I got song with Pete Rock Damn and that com Pete Rock album is though inspired fire Let the album tim Berlander Pharrell, We're not doing that, Yeah we are.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: You know drinking that I don't. I don't know that you got I'm not doing drinking actually, like that damn ship for Rall.
Speaker 4: And Damn Timbo that's a hard one.
Speaker 2: Chris Brown is Trey songs.
Speaker 4: Now, we're not doing that.
Speaker 2: I guess you guys, by the way, that's just what are y'all doing? The mean man?
Speaker 4: Come on, come on man, yeah, how I'm on Pitt Virginia Artist.
Speaker 2: What happened? You did that?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 2: What then are you doing on my music?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 2: You drink and drunk?
Speaker 6: Come on first, Booge you almost broke my record and what they yeah.
Speaker 2: Stuff anxiety exact. I was like this boot you record for so long?
Speaker 1: So he's doing in the middle one like talking my stream in so bout you grabs this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like this is not funny. And he's like this what is he said?
Speaker 1: Inctal property and he was taking the mind go to the cloud, cloud cloud, and then like you know.
Speaker 2: What, I'm like, he's saying that physical boy.
Speaker 1: Space because he's saying in the world's record.
Speaker 2: You know that's what I was gonna be, like health records, just like you.
Speaker 4: But that's right, that's my pay fast blessing.
Speaker 2: Okay, held on, where's the next one?
Speaker 3: And you trained Chris y'all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's the missy or Eve missy Okay, you mean it. He's let us on dog Pound. First of all, it's gonna be the clips. That's family. But I had do have not even a story, but I do remember you probably don't. Most people probably don't remember this when we but we were talking about when I thought Kris.
Speaker 2: One just this.
Speaker 4: So at the beginning of New York, New York, when the song comes on and you start hearing the fading, you start hearing we don't even and they start talking New York Yo, b yo, be your word of mother son, and then you hear niggas say, yo, I got mad skills son like right in the beginning, just talking about but I knew, I knew they was trying. They was.
Speaker 3: I knew it was they was this. There was there was no question.
Speaker 4: But I always remember that, like, damn, like that isn't corrupt say my name and the song. I should have said, it's so low though, but if you go back and listen, you can hear it and ship.
Speaker 1: I was so mad when Poked and mentioned us missed it was all record.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn, bro, I was like, I mean he didn't even say he mentioned us at Oh. Like I was like, did you gonna do a remix or something? I was like, I wanted to.
Speaker 6: What a crazy time man? Okay, here we at m O per mob deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah I wanted to ask that one. It took too long, but I got an m O P story. Please.
Speaker 4: They did a show in v A at this club called Flavors and it was them I want to say, original original gun Clappers o GC and it was Jay Rue.
Speaker 2: Motherfuckers wasn't feeling Jay Rope.
Speaker 4: They were scammaging. They was tossing it up on the stage or whatever, and it was it was like, yeah, we're not really hit that.
Speaker 2: Where is this against them? Sin Virginia.
Speaker 1: This is he had come clean? Yeah you want the front J's dope. Though it was back there, it was early.
Speaker 2: I don't even think the record had caught on before the record was in.
Speaker 4: Ce comes out, they do their thing, and the mop come on stage. I'll never forget it. Them niggas had a slew of people with and Fame got on the mic and was like, yeah, you know what I'm saying, We from New York. You know what I'm saying, Browns whatever he was saying, mash our posse. You know, we're about to do a couple of songs. We're gonna fucking rap. You know what I'm saying. We're gonna play some joints. We're gonna get it off here. You know what I'm saying. I'm gonna let yall niggas know now, any of y'all niggas throw some ship up here, I'm gonna punch y'all niggas in the face, and my man right here gonna jump off the stage. My man' here gonna jump off the stage and kick all your niggas in the face.
Speaker 3: Breach birth style word.
Speaker 4: The mother's son played my ship and the b came on and everybody just stood there, and I was like, Yo, these niggas like literally like they literally came on stage and scared the audience into not doing anything while they fucking rapped. And I mean they gonna bought some all call and niggas knew that song it and nobody's gonna.
Speaker 10: They were so scared the.
Speaker 4: Crowd wouldn't even say the hook. I watched it happen. I swing past the hotel because my DJ was dropping off his equipment or whatever. They all in front of this rinking because it's a college town. It ain't no five star hotels in this town. It's in Petersburg, So they stand in front of the hotel and I didn't even know they knew who I was.
Speaker 2: So I'm dropping my men off. I give him PAM and I.
Speaker 3: Just hear fame go.
Speaker 2: And your man scared. I'm like, shit, this nigga know my name. I'm like, what's up? You're with a wei that I was like, I was smoked.
Speaker 3: I'll find you something. I don't smoke, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I was like I remember saying like yeah, man, I'll get your I send my man over here, so I sent my DJ to go talk to him.
Speaker 2: I think they hooked him up with the plug that night. But I just.
Speaker 4: Remember how scared they had everybody in that club.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: But it's slipped all day in Virginia. Man, they came down there and scared the audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next one.
Speaker 4: Teddy Riley or Q tip Q tip come on man. But he said that quickly. Two money styles.
Speaker 3: But everything.
Speaker 4: It's funny because every time I when I see Teddy, right, he don't even call me mask. He's just called me Virginia. Every time I see he say what Virginia? He don't even say my name Virginia. We got to say we got the same lawyer. But yeah, it's q tip all day. And y'all already know why. Okay, loyalty or respect? How about trust? He threw a third one in there, because I feel like this. I feel like I feel like trust is I'd rather be trusted than love because I feel like if I trust you, I'll go through anything with you. If I trust you, the love gonna be there regardless if I trust you. So for me, outside of loyalty and respect, even though you didn't ask, I would say trust. But if I had to pick one, I would say the loyalty because if I got the loyalty, the respect will come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And so many they write they write in the same vein you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean. So yeah, I would say loyalty. Okay.
Speaker 1: So now you said you had a we're gonna we're gonna recap the run DMC story. He has a follow up to it.
Speaker 3: Follow up.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So so you remember the first time I was on hen and I said, here's the quick version. I said, run them run from run dem see played me three times in my life. Up my hand out, you'll give him a pair of niggas, pat me on the.
Speaker 3: Back, walked off.
Speaker 4: I told y'all this story how many years ago, and it goes viral. It's the biggest moment from my drink tam Mad Skills tried to beat up Red Run. Everybody seen it. It was an aggressive story in your past because y'all called me at the end of drink Champs and.
Speaker 3: Let me tell y'all what y'all did.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you. Let me explain something to you. This is what y'all did to me last time. Because I'm smarter now. I came here last time. The show's called Drink Champs. It is what it is. I get it. I'm a lightweight. I counted how many shots I took on drink. It was eleven fucking shots.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you something?
Speaker 4: You know, when we recounted you come in on drinks chants, We're like, we don't think he drank.
Speaker 2: And let me shot.
Speaker 4: Ask God, now, I don't think he drinks. Disrespectful ship. This is the most disrespectful thing and Noy ever did to me. I did all of those drinks. I say, I'm saving his story for the book. Noy says, no, no, you got I tell the story ruin your book.
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 3: I tell the story. Story goes viral.
Speaker 4: The next week, I watched Drink Champs and Cam is on here. First time, Killer Cam I think was on here, and y'all said.
Speaker 2: Y'all make some noise, Killer Cam hale them all that.
Speaker 4: Shit, y'all off of caim a drink and that nigga says, yeah, I ain't drinking, and I go the fucking drinks always so boom. Anyway, I go off of the rails and tell the story about how I was gonna beat up Run from Run DMC. I actually find the video of and Run violated me at the concerts show show.
Speaker 3: It's on my gram.
Speaker 4: I dubbed the video up after when he said, Yo, and man, he ain't no photographer. He working that nigga like he he. I didn't see the video, okay, So the moment was viral from when I said I was gonna jump on then the video everybody I can't Skills got received. This really happened fast forward, the moment dies down. Whatever I'm in v A, it's my birthday. I'm out with my family getting something to eat.
Speaker 2: Chill now. It might have been like a Tuesday or so.
Speaker 11: Charlie matcoor Charlie mac calls care punt Charlie mack from Philly because Charlie mack han talked to Jazzy Jeff and said, Yo, I seen an interview with this nigga Skills talking about he was gonna beat up Run.
Speaker 2: Is wrong with this nigga? Yo, Yo, you don't talk about our legends like that. I'm not doing that. Baby, You're not, Charlie, so we're not Jeff.
Speaker 4: Jeff Skills got tightened up and if Jeff tells Charlie, who he's known since he was six six seven fifteen. He said, Charlie, I was with Skills that night, and.
Speaker 3: It was warranted what he said.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 3: If if Skills would have took off, he.
Speaker 4: Kind of had, Charlie, he had, he had legs.
Speaker 2: He got wild, disrespected. No, no, baby, I don't make this right. And make this right.
Speaker 3: It's my birthday. I'm with my family.
Speaker 4: My phone rings, it's Charlie Meg. I'm thinking he called me to tell me happy birthday or tell me, you know, maybe you know, Will might.
Speaker 2: Want to start working on some music or something. He's like, Yo, where you at?
Speaker 4: I said, I'm out eating with my family. Yo, step outside. Hey, Nigga just said him with my family? He ain't me Skills. This is me, baby, I said, Charlie, I know who it is. Since Charlie Mag, I'm with my family. Were right in the middle, like you know what I mean. I know that the cake is coming in a minute with the happy birthday on everybody.
Speaker 2: Like Charlie.
Speaker 4: He like, step outside where you are? I said, I'm with my family? Step outside, I said. Charlie said, Skills, do I ever ask you for anything? I said no, well, can you do me this one? Favorite step outside for a second.
Speaker 3: I can't hear it.
Speaker 4: I can't hear you his why it's busy In that, I said, I walk outside. I tell my family, I step outside by myself, outside in front of this restaurant. Hello, I said hello. I hear somebody say, is this mad skills? I said, oh shit. As soon as he said this, I was like, this is run. He says, is am I speaking to mad skills? I automatically turned back into the thirteen year old kid. I said, yes, sir. He said, first of all, I want to apologize to you. I said no, no, no, no no. I said no, no, no, you know, I said, run. You don't have to rev you don't have to do He said, no, no, no, I do. I do have to do this. He said, let me do this. I said, okay. He said, I want to apologize to you for how I treated you when I met you when you were thirteen, when I met you again, and then.
Speaker 2: The last time that I saw you.
Speaker 4: Well, he said it on the show he went, he went chronicle with so he said. I said, I said, I said, yo, man like. He said, no, no, no, He said, it's not cool. It wasn't cool then, it's not cool now. He said, I just want to apologize to you because I didn't know who.
Speaker 2: I didn't not.
Speaker 4: I did not that you have to be somebody to be treated a certain way, but I was another person. Then I want to apologize to you now. And I said, oh, man, I said, run, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 4: Also, I'm sitting here and I'm looking at I have your hat right here. I said, right ware. He said, I haven't right here. He said, I'm old school. I got a pen and I got some paper. So if you tell me your address, I'm going to send this to you FedEx and it will be to you next two days.
Speaker 3: I spit my address right, he says. He said. And I heard it's your birthday today.
Speaker 4: I said yeah. He said, happy birthday. I said, wow, thank you. He said, that's all love. He said, Charle, He said, I heard this story. It was moving around a couple of people told me about it, and I was, like, I asked, he said, I asked some people.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 4: I thought to myself, who knows everybody? Charlie mc knows everybody. So I called him and I said, do you know a guy named Mad Skills, and Charlie said, that's my guy. Is I need. I need his phone number and his address. Charlie said, I call him right now. So they called me and it just happened. It happen for my birthday. I give him the address. Charlie says, look, do me a favor. When you get the box, don't open it. FaceTime me when you about to open it. I said, all right, cool box comes in two days. I facetimed Charlie Matt. I got the box in front of me. I got a camera. I got it because I got I got a camera here because I got I gotta get that moment. Yes, face time. Charlie Mack picks on the phone. Chart Mac says, Yo, you got it. I said yeah, he said, hold on. He clicks over. Two faces pop up on my phone. Charlie back on the top box, Red.
Speaker 2: Run on the bottom.
Speaker 3: Red Run goes, Yo, you got the hat. I said yeah.
Speaker 4: Charlie said, open up the box, baby, open that shit up. Charlie going hand. I opened up the box. It's a note in it. It says too too mask. I can't remember what it says. Paraphraser two Mad skills, enjoy your birthday. Here's your hat. Keep doing great things.
Speaker 2: Rev. Run.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the box, run goes. Charlie goes. He said, now, he said, that's not a new hat. That's the hat that I won before. That's that's not I didn't just get you a hat. That's one out of my collection. So that's one of the prize ones. I was like, oh my, I said, run, thank you so much. He said, how is it how you feel? I said, yo, I feel like a thirteen year old kid again. Man, I'm wilding right now. Charlie says, yo, put the hat on. I take I take the phone, put it on and put it on the thing. I take the hat. I start putting the hat on. When I start putting the hat on, Charlie, Matt goes, run run right right right, Run, starts going.
Speaker 2: I'm like, so I put the hat on.
Speaker 4: Charlie said, cross the alls, b boy, staff, crossed the moms. I crossed my arms and look at Buffy and they're like yeah. I'm like, yo, this is so.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's how.
Speaker 4: And I posted that on my Gram and it was two thousand comments, people being like, oh, this is this. I love when hip hop connects and the story ended up well, and that's side the story. And I got the hat and I got a shoe signed from DMC. So I got the hat from running and the shoe a shelter in my studio from both of them.
Speaker 2: That's dope. So happy for that.
Speaker 1: Story, bro, He's like, yo, man, we're so happy because you know, it's one thing, you know, to document our history, you know, and then it's one thing to keep making it. Yes, you know, because that's what we're doing. We're documenting it and you know, making it and documenting it. And for us to have anything to do with that, that's pretty pretty man.
Speaker 2: And you hitting me up about it, man, Yeah, it makes something to happen, man, But it happened, yeah man, hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 1: So you and Jeffer's cool, your every one is cool. Yes, okay, all right, cool ship.
Speaker 6: But I want to ask you, because I really do love this record that you did with the Artifacts. Can you tell me I was all whack could tell me a story about this record? And you know ri ip ta one, Yes, I love the Artifacts. Tell me about this record I signed, I got, I got signed to Big Beat.
Speaker 4: Uh. I want to say right after the New Music Seminar when I battled Supernatural because it was like I had sent out demos, but my tape is just sitting in offices and sitting there, Tommy Boys sitting there loud. Nobody checked it. I do this seminar battle and everybody I sent the tape to its all in the same room.
Speaker 3: Reef Eclipse Search from Wild Pitch.
Speaker 4: Everybody's in the same room because this is the DJ battle in the MC battles battle. I do the song. I mean, I do the battle, and then the next Monday, it's like a bidding wark. They like everybody trying to sign this kid mad skills. I don't sign yet. I go back and forth. Q Tip takes me to stretch them by bido. I do another freestyle that goes up, and Reef got me like a.
Speaker 3: Chain and face his budget. I had a big ass budget.
Speaker 4: That's how I was able to get Q Tip, Clark Kent, all these people and the artifacts. Reef was like, I want you to I got a song. I mean easy LP did that remix. Shout Easop he did that remix, and Easyop did that remix. Yeah, I hey little brother, yeah second bro. I did not look deeply into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, w don't you read it upside down?
Speaker 2: No, bro, he got it right. So I did this song, and I remember when it came out.
Speaker 4: I remember buying a Coscess single and I saw my name, you know, my name and the credits and featuring the my government name you know for the ass cat be at mine whatever, and I was like, damn, Like, so the Artifacts was the first people to actually let me get on because they could have said no, you know what I'm saying, like I don't know about dude, like he ain't even he from Jersey hometown, Like you know what I'm saying, But they let me get on, and and I'm.
Speaker 6: Forever grateful to him for that. It's a great record, man, it was a super amazing record. I wish you had did a video for it. We didn't get a chance to. It was on the table for a minute, but then we didn't do it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that was that was reefing and the Artifacts is showing love like he's the new kid.
Speaker 3: Let's let's get a verse on the new kid.
Speaker 1: I heard you say on I Forget with an interview. You said you made one girl record, right and and he said the reaction you got for it. You said you wish we would have been I wish I told you that was record.
Speaker 3: It's a record called for Real. It's called for Real.
Speaker 2: He don't own me.
Speaker 4: Bank did that song and Bank already had the hook and everything. Somebody else was singing and.
Speaker 2: I heard it not hen on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay, And that was probably the only that was probably one of the first records that I was like, I've seen how I reacted with women, and you know.
Speaker 3: I was like, damn.
Speaker 4: I really looked at LL different after that, Like damn, because as a DJ, like you know, as a DJ, we play for the women in the party because we know the dudes come in regardless. If it's women, there's gonna be it's gonna be girl, it's gonna be, they gonna be there. So I just wish that I had started earlier. But but those types of records are very you know, keen to to people's successes because you can always perform those records like I just dropped the record maybe like I will dropped the video for a record maybe like a month ago, called the Golden Girls, where I name every female that's ever been mentioned in a rap song.
Speaker 2: So Benita Applebaum.
Speaker 4: Jane Davett, Veronica of Veronica. Damn, I ain't put super well, I said, I said from the golden era.
Speaker 3: So he's the end of the going there.
Speaker 4: So the funny part is, so I shoot, I get a new camera and I'm just at the studio and I came with the idea. I was like that this might be dope. It was fifty years of hip hop. I was like, Yo, I might this might be dope to just shoot a little videos on ig whatever whatever. I shoot the video edited myself and throwing all of the clips of all of the girls, and the ship goes up and people are like, Yo, this record is so dope and so fresh man, this is this is what hip hop needs this. I'm like, yo, this record is twelve years old. They don't even know I just shot a video for it now because I got a new camera. But it's like the record old as hell, you know what I'm saying. But it still resonates with people. So you know, when you make things like that, man, you gotta pay attention to your audience and what's missing in the marketplace too, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it was just it was just one of the things. It was a dope. I dis I just did it.
Speaker 2: If you had a chance to do it all over, would you? Oh?
Speaker 4: If I had, If I had a chance to do it all over, my first record would have been Beanita, Benita, Benita.
Speaker 6: I would have started with a girl looking So it's okay, so celeborate on that. This mad skills? What would this mad skills? Tell this mad skills? Great question, Go for the bitches. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have interfered with him because his path was his path, and I wouldn't have been I wouldn't have been seasoned or smart enough to handle all of this ship that might have came out way then. I was so bit barring up. I was ready to rap against anybody. I thought, if you had the best bars, you would be the best rapper, not the best selling rapper.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Did selling matter to you?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Did did how many copies you sold?
Speaker 6: Because I mean the era we were in in that timeframe, that didn't really.
Speaker 2: Yeah it didn't really matter. But maybe at the major when you were signed, Yeah, maybe you were.
Speaker 4: I might Yeah I didn't, you know, I gotta let go or whatever. I didn't sell him enough.
Speaker 2: But that was right.
Speaker 4: But when the Jiggy Erea came in, so crush crush on you came out and get money, and it was over fit anybody with it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, just just the shiny suit.
Speaker 4: Era, you know, and everything that went back boy yeah, bad boy in the ninety six coming into ninety seven before Biggie passed away.
Speaker 1: It was Oh, I hated them everybody on that side.
Speaker 2: I had on army fatigues at that time. I had a straight army. They got a shiny suits. You still got it? What you can still rap? No, I don't really rap.
Speaker 3: I knew he was trying to.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: No, I spit every now and then, but I just you know.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna I'm only gonna wrap if Nori raps ain't rapping hook no.
Speaker 1: So but that's that's something I forgot to ask you on quick Time.
Speaker 2: It's line rapping on DJ. You say something, J what I what?
Speaker 4: I lost the passion that I lost and rap and I found in DJ did a little bit not really crazy.
Speaker 2: So you found on this passion afterwards? Yeah? Was it pre pandemic though, or pandemic. It's pre pandemic and.
Speaker 1: Your passion of getting in the booth, your passion from getting in the booth, and that's when you started the DJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that one memes in the truth?
Speaker 4: I just did a show back at in Va my last, my last hip hop show, and I really had fun. And I had wrapped them records in years, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And I had a whole I had a.
Speaker 6: Whole festival like show crazy. I was shot congret that many people show, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And I brought out Freeway. Freeway pulled up, Tylip Quality pulled up, you know what I'm saying. My man Rahem DeVaughn pulled up. I had my homies, Butcher Brown, they played with me and it was a dope show.
Speaker 3: And I hadn't spit.
Speaker 4: I hadn't spent some of them songs in fifteen years, twelve years, and I had a ball at That show was a good So if the bag right, I probably hop back.
Speaker 3: Out and do a show. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But that was my last show in Virginia and I went out with a bang. That ship was nutty like it was. It shut the city down. The city is still on me, texting me daily. Like, yeah, we have to do a festival next year, like you.
Speaker 2: Have to your last show.
Speaker 4: It was my last as a rap, as a rapper, no man, you yeah.
Speaker 2: I am. I say that all the time to though right.
Speaker 4: Now you you do, you see it all the time every year, the last one, last show you did?
Speaker 3: How long ago when you did the show?
Speaker 2: Then? I can't that's DJ right, that was.
Speaker 1: Last summer or two summers ago.
Speaker 3: I think you did something hip hop, you did something.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's before.
Speaker 1: That was twenty twenty lover and lovers in Friends, Lovers in French. That was in between that, and that was clearly for a bag. I didn't want to perform, like you know, there's certain time you want to perform.
Speaker 2: You know. You know what's crazy.
Speaker 1: I heard you mentioned a nod factor earlier and I had this, that's one of my notes on a nod factor. You said you're like a black president because you ain't seeing you and I did the actually we actually hold.
Speaker 2: On, hold on, hold on two war question when.
Speaker 1: You wrote that, was having a black president that far out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nor right?
Speaker 4: So you got to understand the song I heard before that was pop and even though we ain't, we ain't ready for a black president, you know what I mean? Like you heard that before whole Poxmaker came first. That was something I would I could never foresee. But that's one of the punchlines that I'm so glad that's changed now.
Speaker 3: That got changed.
Speaker 4: Not like it's not like I can say, yo, you go to the hood, can still kill the niggas. That's that's still happen. But I'm glad that I can. Like when I wraped that song, now I gotta change.
Speaker 2: The line that was wrong we had we had. You're glad that was wrong.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that was wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that's wrong now and hopefully, you know, we'll be able to change that again this year.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, because it's like a whole bunch of but I look at it, listen to rap Donald Trump was so cool back then.
Speaker 2: Trump It's like.
Speaker 4: Yo, do you ever do you ever listen to any of your old balls or punch size and just cringe.
Speaker 2: Yes all the time? Right, Yes, it's horrible, Yo, I was a horrible person.
Speaker 4: I heard something I said the other day and it was in a freestyle of something and I said, uh, I said, yeah, yeah, y'all rappers. All y'all rappers, my sons, get out the way. Disrespect popping. You're gonna get popped like Marvin Gay.
Speaker 6: And I was like, I was like, I can't believe I said that because it was the shock value, right, but.
Speaker 1: Because now you're the oh you get crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I mean, Like I.
Speaker 4: Hear, I hear ball man the grandpa and you right now, yeah, you're like we talked last time and yo.
Speaker 2: My daughter was like, yo, what what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Don't you have class somewhere?
Speaker 2: Are you doing this?
Speaker 12: And I'm like, ah, this cringe worthy lines. Man, I'm not gonna lie this. I know one man is getting old or im old.
Speaker 2: I'm we old bro time and stuff to day.
Speaker 1: And they just thought, I don't want to say the girl's artist's name.
Speaker 2: And they just like and.
Speaker 3: I'm just listening like offended, I'm old.
Speaker 2: Did I thought about it? I was like, that's probably how they felt. What I'm talking about technics and shoot off the block. You were somewhere to you like you.
Speaker 4: Were somewhere saying now you like me getting head on the highway. It's like you hear it, you like, yo, She wasn't crashing it.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I couldn't fight it.
Speaker 1: It was the lyrics were so vulgar, and by the way, it was just like but I get it, I get it, I get I'm who my parents. I get that, I get that part like I get that. But I was just like, wow, this is what's happening now. And as I'm saying it, I'm like.
Speaker 2: You sound just like the old folks, like I.
Speaker 1: Cannot I cannot identify with some of the ship, like I cannot identify with drill music because I don't know.
Speaker 6: Like, but wait, but I don't think it's fair, and this is probably the old person in me. I don't think it's fair to say the similarities in that because people actually are killing themselves, raving about it, dancing on graves, social media all about it, like it's a very big.
Speaker 2: As the Chicks right now, Light No More No.
Speaker 4: And the crazy part is, I never think that any generation is going to like the music of the generation after it. But not liking it and disrespecting yourself as well, all that's that's literally a whole other level. But the only reason we had a connection was because we were sampling our parents' music. So when we said we would say, Yo, it's this new song, big Poppama, you gotta hear it, like the ain't nothing but the Izi brothers. Boy, I ain't doing nothing new. So we had that connection. What these kids got smarter. They're like, oh, I gotta get it. I gotta get round fifty.
Speaker 2: Percent of my shit.
Speaker 4: Hell now, hey, hey, whoop woop, make that beat on the on the thing from scratch. I don't give fuck, don't sample nothing. I want to own one hundred percent of this if it goes up and once a.
Speaker 6: Death stamp them my fart, let's make that right.
Speaker 4: So it's like they they they got business smarter from not from not taking.
Speaker 2: They absolutely did.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like so because they still got paid before. But now they're like, nah, we're just gonna make this shit from scratch and we're gonna go up. And yeah, I don't I don't like it, but it ain't for me. Like I told you before. It's like it's like my son got the car. Now it's his car, go fuck it up, damn.
Speaker 2: But fucking it up could be very detrimental. It can't be.
Speaker 4: Don't kill yourself in it. Don't drink and dry. Don't drink it, just drink Champs. I got to loosen up on the new music because I was just like, sometimes sometimes I don't mind. I love the era of music that we came from. We listen, I tell my man, my man. My man said this to me, and he was like, yo, think about how far we came. Like if you were if you are a person that break danced on cardboard and you uploaded your song to the internet and you posted your picture on Instagram, look at what you lived through hip hop wise, that's a lot lucky, you know what I'm saying. Like we we see at nine eleven in between now carry a boombox, yeah, oh yeah yeah, and its ye. We saw the m P three players, like we've seen a lot in our dad. So we just gotta be thankful that we had it when we had it. Now it's this and now we get why the older people say, well I love my era, yes, because they're like, well, this is my ever in my day.
Speaker 2: I never thought I was gonna do that.
Speaker 4: Listen, bro, I've said to myself and and my man said it to me.
Speaker 3: He was like, he said, when you start talking about.
Speaker 4: These stories, when you are older, you gonna sound crazy as fucking Forrest Gump, he said, because it don't even sound real.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I can't imagine talking to.
Speaker 4: My grandson and saying, yeah, you know, I used to put out a song every year and people used to wait for that one song every year. Yeah, shut up, grandpa be lying now. And one time I did a song for I wrote a whole piece for and they put it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for a rapping Ain't jay Z.
Speaker 3: Shut the fuck up?
Speaker 2: You said?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 2: I did I And they put me.
Speaker 4: On BT one time and I just did a whole piece about the whole thing of hip hop.
Speaker 2: Know the fuck yo?
Speaker 4: Stop lying, granddaddy, like that don't even sound It doesn't sound real.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then I got into a beef with with Shack and I was beefing with these that it doesn't sound real. We've seen a lot of ship, bro a lot of ship We covered a lot of ground.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you two things that my kids say to me. One I'm not proud of. One I am proud of. We walk in the in the grocery store and we walked past the beer and liquor and my son says, daddy's work.
Speaker 2: Not proud of that, not proud of that. I could have kept that. No, no, but it's real. It's real, real.
Speaker 6: Then, but every time he sees a boombox or vinyl or breakdance, daddy's work.
Speaker 2: Daddy's work. That problem. That's dope.
Speaker 4: Okay, she said, So don't do half of that's work, please.
Speaker 2: Smokes. Now.
Speaker 1: One of the craziest dopest records ever made ever slept on is Extra Abstract Skills.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is that record.
Speaker 1: Is so so dope, and I listened to it recently and I'm just like this, I wish like that. That's one of the phenomenal records. Like, what was you thinking coming up with that?
Speaker 4: I had. I wanted to get beats from Large Professor to me and Reef we would go out the flushing.
Speaker 2: And you got to the hook as well, right, yeah, yeah, we would go.
Speaker 4: Out the Flushing and I wanted to have Large Offessor on the record. He already did a song called that we had called Skills in ninety five, but I fucked up because on the Tribe album, Uh, Large Professor had told Q Tip never say the year in the song because you date the song right, so I needed another song. I want a Q tip on the album. He was coming back and forth to the studio and Paul shout, shout, Paul large pro he I would spend so much money with him because he would just buy records and then just come to the studio and listen to him.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't have to beat loaded up in that spat.
Speaker 4: He would just come to the studio and sit down and make you listen.
Speaker 2: To all of and you had to pay for what that studio time.
Speaker 4: And we in there unique, we was in was in the city, in the city.
Speaker 3: So he's sitting there.
Speaker 4: Put the record on just and you just keep hearing the needles skipping through joints.
Speaker 2: And I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't tell his nigga how to make a beat.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, you said, you never working with promo, No, no, just sitting there, just sitting there, boom boom boom. And then you hear a little something and he'll loop it up his doors and I'm like, damn, that's kind of funky.
Speaker 2: That might be dope. He'll race it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yo, Paul, you race that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nah nah. So that wasn't it worth the mother son. Word, Yo, you're gonna like this next one? Baby, Paul wor it up. He's just talking and so I'm in there like, yo, we've been to get six al of them should already fifteen hundred dollars. And he like, yo, word yo some mad humphy son.
Speaker 2: Yo. Yo. We don't order yo, we order it.
Speaker 4: Yo?
Speaker 2: What we doing?
Speaker 4: Engineer like, yeah, I might give me a I might get a plate new song. So yeah, worry, let's order from there. Word the mother son. And I'm like, make this fucking beat.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: So he finally gets me a beat.
Speaker 2: Say this is the South talking to the North. Yeah. I finally get to beat.
Speaker 4: He likes it, and I tell Q Tip I said, yo, Paul got this this crazy joint. He's like where it is like that.
Speaker 3: I was like, yo, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: He's like, I gotta get yo, I gotta here. I gotta hear that Joey.
Speaker 4: So I played for him, like for whord this is crazy and I'm like, you want how born?
Speaker 3: And he was like I got some and he come by. He take it.
Speaker 2: He takes time, but he come by the studio.
Speaker 4: So I'm sitting there and I'm like, yo, I got a song with a large professor and cutes it on my album. You know what I'm saying, Like, I'm like, in my monm, I'm like, yo, I'm.
Speaker 2: Out of here, this is gone.
Speaker 3: This is this hip hop's finest.
Speaker 2: So we do this, we do the song.
Speaker 4: It current turns out dope, and I just I still bug out of the fact that I think sometimes I just take it for granted, like yeah, yeah, I did that, But I'm like, yeah, that that's.
Speaker 2: One of the ones.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like it was a good record, And I still I still thank Paul to this day because that time that it took for him to find that loop and put them drums on, get it right and made it a classic.
Speaker 6: So and do you not think that those records in that record, the whole album went as far as you thought it was gonna go.
Speaker 4: When they asked me what I wanted to accomplish with that album, I said, I want to I.
Speaker 2: Want people to know my name and I want them to know where I'm from.
Speaker 4: If I was thinking smart, I would have said I want to sell more than thriller, and then they would have known my name and where I was from. Regardless but I look back at some of this stuff I did, and it's hard for me to process that I did it. Like you might catch me on a humble day, like for the most part, I'm super humble and like I'm usually humble when I'm not rapping, you know what I'm saying. I just found just through pytherapy. I just found out in the last years some change that I got impost syndrome. It's like when when a person refuses to accept their flowers or all of them, you know what I'm saying. Like, so for me, I'm very I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I try to, you know what I mean, But I can't change people's memories.
Speaker 2: Like people come up to me, people perceive me right because I.
Speaker 3: Never I never.
Speaker 4: I never want to walk around like I got a big head, like like life humble me early I felt like so. But for me, it's it's like people in my life now like no, no, you have to accept that you have done some amazing things and.
Speaker 2: It's okay to say that you've.
Speaker 3: Done it, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like I get people coming to me like yo, my first hip hop show was you Man Use. The first thing that I saw from the hood on Rap City. Bro, when I saw you, I knew I could make it, and dah da da da, and I'd be like, like, you know what I mean, I don't want to don't put me up there because because the ain't nowhere to go but down from there.
Speaker 3: So for me, it's a weird place to be in.
Speaker 4: And sometimes I talk my ship, Like earlier today, I was like, yeah, nigga, I put a whole state on by myself.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's a fact. That's not I'm not bragging, that's just what I did, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I teeter from from from that point.
Speaker 2: Which is every artist is going to teeter on that. Yeah, I think. So you don't everything.
Speaker 4: I want to get too big head, because the thing is that ego is what is driving that.
Speaker 2: Yes, And what I believe is that ego.
Speaker 6: Is necessary artistry yeah, and creativity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You cannot be creative without ego, right, because the ego is what gives you the confidence to say I'm going to create this and then give it to the world, right, And once you put it in the world, once you put it out there, it's the public's perception.
Speaker 4: You can't once you can't. You can't take it back once it's out there. Yeah, so somebody say, yo, man, that ship was trash. You just gotta eat it right.
Speaker 1: You can't get back.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, You can't.
Speaker 4: And it's like like when Ratman was on here, he was like, I read all all the messages, bro, read them all, Like I can't, you know what I'm saying. I remember talking to Charlotte Man. I remember telling h I was like, I don't know how to fuck. I don't know how to fuck. You even look at your social media and Charloamann was like, skills, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't read my comments.
Speaker 4: Like what you mean? He said, I haven't read my comments in like five years, Bro, I don't read comments. He's you know, when you open Instagram and you see the one that's at the top and in the one that's at the bottle, he's, I see those, but I don't open my comments.
Speaker 2: And I was like, damn.
Speaker 4: I was like, you would have to not do that in order to live in that space. Because you talk every day and you people giving you their opinion every day. Sometimes it's like he's like, I don't read that ship. I'm like, Damn, that's a good tactic.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't. You shouldn't read them. You shouldn't. If there's something you could do over, what would you do over? Mmm?
Speaker 4: I don't know if I do. I don't know if I would do anything. Oh, I think I would do it just the way I did it. If I could, I probably would started taking writing seriously earlier, just writing.
Speaker 3: Songs period before missing pulled.
Speaker 4: Up and the skill of you being able to write. Yes, you know what I'm saying, Like, I probably would have did that. What about you?
Speaker 2: If I could do over? If you could do something over, I.
Speaker 1: Would try to sell out much faster.
Speaker 3: Wow, Jesus Christmas, what about you?
Speaker 4: I would have started trying to do everything I was doing today.
Speaker 2: Earlier in high school.
Speaker 6: Like I started at the end of my senior year, and I felt like I had an advantage then.
Speaker 2: But I would have even started earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but let me let me let me pederate my answer, because I do mean that, but I mean it in this way. I wish I would have knew that this was not love, this was or more about business, like you know what I mean? I was like like like until I met pun I was all my features love for free. I didn't I didn't know people were talking people like and I was like, hey, my dad man, especially when you had that's fifteen grand And I remember me and pun of me. She was just and even then I was doing it getting bread, but it was still love like I was still I remember, I say this real quick. I showed up to a video and it was my video and I got paid and this was cool. Ray Kwan got paid and then showed up to the video and then Ray Kwan one of another paper for the video and and I remember her label like oh ship man like Ray Kwana is a bad person.
Speaker 2: They're like nor is a good person? Like so cool cool.
Speaker 1: Ray Kwang got paid. And when it came back time for Maya to do my record, guess.
Speaker 3: What she was with?
Speaker 1: Common was together, but I remember it was a guy named Hakeem Islam or Hawk Islam Islam that was in charge of her project. And I came to him and this is the guy who thanked me for for being on time at the video but showing up for wearing the clothes that they asked Ray We're none of the.
Speaker 2: Clothes that day asked for. I did all that I did.
Speaker 1: I was under the sparks, sparkles, I did all the dump ship that I wasn't supposed to do as an established artist when I was trying to form a relationship. And so anyway, when it came time, we went to see him and he was like, yeah, we're not going to go in this direction.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, oh, okay, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, okay, wait to tell Maya his face, because I almost guarantee you she doesn't notice.
Speaker 2: Right. She says she's down to be on here, take vegan shots whatever she comes liquor with her. Let's look up the execution. This okay rock Raider.
Speaker 4: He scratched on my first album.
Speaker 2: He was on this album, he.
Speaker 4: Was on He's on All in It, and he's cutting on another record.
Speaker 3: And that's when I knew.
Speaker 4: When somebody is so good, it's hard for them to do something very simple.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 4: So imagine telling Steph, y'all just want you to just lay the ball up right here.
Speaker 2: Carry Yeah. I love how you call everybody the first name. He goes crazy with the names, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I shoot from way, I shoot from outside the gym.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, but just I just want you to lay it up. That's all you want.
Speaker 4: So I had Rock Raided in the studio and I'm telling him to do I'll say, He's like, how you want to scratched us?
Speaker 2: I wanted to liked.
Speaker 3: He like, that's ridiculous, and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Just god, cop God, you.
Speaker 4: Could have done that yourself. I wasn't, but you know, Rock Raider, you know what I'm saying. I want him on a joint. So the tape run and they're like, I won, dude, and I'm like, no, that's not it, and he like, I thought you wanted God, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: That's what I want you to do. He like, that's it.
Speaker 4: You might run it back three times over God, this God. And in my mind, I'm going, he's so good he can't Dodd. I'm like, yo, you you gotta called one of your homies in here. Because he ended up doing it, but it took so long because and in my mind, I'm like, why you just can't do the Sumple ship and he like, that's what I do when I was ten. But to his defense, yeah, to his defense, he was so advanced. He saw and you're asking him dumb himself down. That represents him too, right, right, So when I when I hopped on the song with the executions, they was on loud and he reached back out and he asked him, He's like, your skills you working on the execution the album?
Speaker 2: Can I get a verse? I was like, of course, And the first thing that popped he tell you I want?
Speaker 4: He was like, yo, dude, you and the first thing I popped on mouth like yo, I should come in this jong and wrap like boning on the ship. I should come in here.
Speaker 2: And right like bone.
Speaker 3: Thus.
Speaker 4: I know they want some hip hop spinish ship, but I should come in here and fucking do triple syllables and ship because because you know what I mean I want. It was just like an inside joke with him. But yeah, the execution is man's like for the dopest DJs, but ever.
Speaker 2: Sing in my life. They changed the game, them and the beat junkies. You know what I'm saying. Everybody and the allies from Miami the same way.
Speaker 1: You have a story about Common, right, and could you not I don't know if you're on Common sat down and spoke about it recently.
Speaker 2: No, we haven't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love them, but I held the grudge phone.
Speaker 1: But this is what I'm trying to say is Commember probably sit down and be like his mind was so he probably won't even remember that, right. Is there anybody in this world that has a story about you like that?
Speaker 2: Man? You just somebody?
Speaker 1: Yeah, every one of us, just one person by mistake, accident.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing I take it. So I remember one. I remember one girl telling me. She was like, yeah, you don't even remember me. I gave I gave you, I spit some balls and you told me I just need to stop rapping. And I was like, but that's kind of sound like a little bit say that.
Speaker 3: I would never say that to a person. It's another dude.
Speaker 2: This guy said that guy.
Speaker 4: There's another dude. There was another dude. It was on Instagram, so he says, he says it was I think I might have posted somebody. It was big birthday and I put up the big story. But when he said, damn, do your tims leaning and he said, yeah, I remember being backstage at a club in Norfolk and you was behind Julir mafia and the story sounded like right, I was like, oh, you ain't fighting in the hood. I was probably rolling with them with money, alling them like yeah, you got to the back door and they closed the back door and they ain't let you in and you were standing back some about the mad skills.
Speaker 2: I was like, I would never.
Speaker 4: Say no shit like that, like you had me up until the end. No you said that shit. You said that shit, gee, And I was like, I don't remember saying that. Bro, Like so like, how you something with Rapp? And he was like, Yo, why is it always the negative comment and we always run to It could be one hundred people telling you great, your dangy change my life, and it's that one. But it's like we have to overcome that negativity because this is what I realized about social media. These motherfuckers. They don't care if they wrong or they right. They just want to get attention. I don't have that bone in my body because I'm like, I'm still really outside, So I can't go on my podcasts and just say yo, she trash her whole song trash. If I ever saw her, yo, I probably just mush in her face.
Speaker 2: She trash.
Speaker 4: Because I might be somewhere DJing and the nigga might come and say Yo, what you say about my niece.
Speaker 2: You can't Joe button niggas. You're saying, I.
Speaker 4: Can't do that, you know what I'm saying. So because I'm like, I'm still really outside. So for me, it's like I realized that they not they don't want to be right or they don't want to be wrong. They just want to get attention so that it's put there to get a reaction. So people get online and say the most outland of ship.
Speaker 3: Just because they go, Yo, look I got this.
Speaker 4: I got like eighty I got eighty thousand likes off it's crazy ass coming like, but sometimes people remember, sometimes it's started to be butts.
Speaker 2: This is crazy shit.
Speaker 1: This is the reason why I when I post, I post, and I basically get the fuck out of the gotcha, I get out of there. You drop on tweets, I drive, I do drop like I do draw tweets.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I might stay on the ground for a little because it's something that my cleaning.
Speaker 2: Lady taught me. You're clearly, let's hear this something that she taught me. For years, I would's roaches and then this I'm gonna be back later blunts. Right, this is all related like a bigger you say, I come back to you later.
Speaker 1: But for years she would come into my astray and if if it's these bunchs that you come back to later, she would throw them, sister fuck away.
Speaker 2: She's a good clean And then I would be like, yo, you can't tell.
Speaker 1: And then I started to think about it, and it's like, how could she tell? This is good blunts? Is two or three good blunts and a world full of fucking track, She's supposed to throw the ship out.
Speaker 2: That's what I feel about social media.
Speaker 1: It's like, even though I might be the good blunt, I'm standing in the fucking food full of astrays.
Speaker 2: So that's so profound.
Speaker 1: Pound I clean, like like like I swear to God because I'm like, yo, because I swear, I'm gonna embarrass myself. I'm keeping there with y'all. I've been smoking hash much lately, and I've been smoking diamonds.
Speaker 2: You know, it is bad expensive. So when I put this ship out, is she doing the way I went in? The garbage? It's the brand new you know.
Speaker 1: She had just took out the bag, but literally just that garbage. And I went in and I picked the two or three that was good out, And then I looked at my wife is.
Speaker 4: Looking at me, and she's like, why you're digging in the She's like, you look like George from Seinfeld, Like what are you doing in the fucking garbage?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I can't even explain, like these months are like a.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars and that, and I'm looking at it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, not gonna make sense, and I'm like and then I'm saying, yo, but that's the cleaning, like like she shouldn't have she should have known she's and look, and I'm like, how can she knows what's good and what's bad? It's all it's in a That's that's how I feel about social media. It's like, how could you find out who the fuck is the good of? It's all in the fucking bad, full of fucking as that should be dumped out.
Speaker 3: But it's also true.
Speaker 4: Also a too that we got to use because it's you can't the one thing we can't change and run from his technology.
Speaker 3: So I love the.
Speaker 4: Fact that you could have an idea today and sell it to everybody to fuck with you tomorrow. You could say, yo, y'all, y'all, y'all saw that ship I did Saturday. You're talking about your bottles if I threw them up up or somebody saying, yo, Noiri's performing in Connecticut tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You can be like, no, I'm not that bag ain't come.
Speaker 4: So nobody's gonna go to that show because they, like Norry said it on his page from him, he's not scheduled to perform at that.
Speaker 3: I like how you can like that. I like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I like you, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you something. Whenever I want to feel humble, you go home, I go to say something to Ship just just so they can just attack me, and I'd like, ah, like like.
Speaker 4: I feel I feel like I feel like at some point I might do like some sort of experiment where I just start saying the craziest ship just to see how oh yes.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, you know what I mean. Yes, and you'll create a whole nother audience. Yeah, just for this to see.
Speaker 4: And when it happens, you look at you all gonna read the tweet and like skills probably doing that thing he said, you know, because there's no way you believe what he just said, right, Your son is why and it's gonna get to a point where you're gonna be like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If he sucking.
Speaker 2: I got to yo. You know you're wild right now. You know it's like thinking about how many people were.
Speaker 4: Even thinking to say that, you know what I mean, Like, it's a crazy space, man, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: This is a two part question. One.
Speaker 1: I heard you say that you could be You could be great. You just can't be the best if someone goes right for you, right. I also wanted to ask you because in this new day and age, when I watch these young kids perform, I don't see.
Speaker 2: The perform on the beat. I see them perform with the vocals. Yes, can they consider their self real?
Speaker 1: See if you're performing with the talking about the whole show with the vocals on it is that considered?
Speaker 2: And so it's a two part question.
Speaker 1: So performing if you're rhyming with the vocals, and can you ever be considered a goat if you had.
Speaker 3: Someone goes right, you can't be considered a goat.
Speaker 4: You can't if you if somebody wrote for you, Okay, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You can still be considered one of the best.
Speaker 4: You could be one of the best, but you can't be the got okay, they had to come from you. The analogy of performing over vocals, I think that shit started when people started just going to clubs. But it wasn't a performance. It was just yo, so and sow them over there, got a section we just on so is that tonight? And their sound systems and they will go, they will go. And you didn't get paid to perform. You just got paid to be there. So the promoter might try to sneak this. You might try to throw something in, Yo, We're gonna throw on your joint.
Speaker 3: If you want to say something to the people.
Speaker 4: They hoping you're gonna do your song, and they're like, nah, ain't he't paid for the performance money, Like you just getting boom boom boom. So you got a DJ there, he just gonna play your He don't got the TV track, he don't got the instrumental.
Speaker 3: That ain't your DJ. So you throwing the record.
Speaker 4: And that that's the way you can move in different cities without having a DJ. So if the DJ at the club just play your record and you wrap over it, you don't got pay for that plane ticket, you don't got pay for.
Speaker 1: That hotel room. Yeah, but I think you're talking about our day. I'm thinking about right now. I'm talking about these cats now. But right now you got a hard drive, you got you got that in your phone, you got your instrumental.
Speaker 2: Look, okay, I don't even think they make instrumentals.
Speaker 6: Hold on, guys, and some of them, I don't know that someone whose man artist. A side of that is having artists perform at terrible venues that had terrible sound systems, where the mics were horrible, and some of these younger artists was like, I'm not gonna go through that again. I'd rather relate my my my record with my vocals and I'll just try to do the best I can over it. And it became I'm not going to chance having bad mics and bad sound systems.
Speaker 4: That's gonna sound like monitors. If the if the sound in the club is trash, the hit record ain't gonna hit Dreams of Nightmas ain't gonna hit the same way speakers and hear trash period because the audience is blaming the artist, right.
Speaker 1: You know, it's crazy. You know, really really really really really really taught us that was Compona Noriega were on the worldwide tour. There's certain records that they didn't make instrumentals far back then, right, so.
Speaker 2: We didn't have time, We didn't know. We went to Europe, we do an hour and a half show.
Speaker 1: We go go because we only do like thirty forty minutes in America. So we think it like, we toy it down. We get off the stage, they're like, how do you like the show? They're like the vocals, man, yeah.
Speaker 2: We like what.
Speaker 1: We just get y'all extra twenty five minutes and it was like they didn't care. It's like yo, but you guys wrapped over the vocals and we're.
Speaker 2: Like, why am I coming to see you? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And this was this was only like records like that that we didn't have have, you know, you know what I mean, So like like super super Underground B B side, Super C side, I don't even know if that's the thing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I'm like.
Speaker 4: When you left the studio, any engineer that has a right frame of mind is going to give you the main song, the clean version of TV tracks, instrumental, the TV track, and the Hoka fucking peal.
Speaker 3: You supposed to have all that.
Speaker 4: When you lead a studio anywhere for every record, but every most engineers on only doing it for what did you say the single was?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's where that's coming.
Speaker 4: But you should have it for every record, and that's just about being prepared. But these kids they don't you know, they don't care about that.
Speaker 2: No, do you think it's ever gonna change? Hell? No, we stuck, stuck. Yeah, we fun. I'm gonna go ahead take a shot to that.
Speaker 1: Hold on, let me let me have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?
Speaker 2: Okay? Hold up, man, we didn't even.
Speaker 1: I suggest you see that movie Idiocracy because that's what we're stuck Nori.
Speaker 2: Yo? Man? So's anything else you have to say.
Speaker 3: To h anything I missed? I got movie out?
Speaker 2: You check the movie? Okay, where's the movie?
Speaker 4: I was on YouTube with streaming. I did a movie called Mad Skills in the nineties. Girl brunch about that. So yeah, I saw.
Speaker 2: I saw.
Speaker 4: When I saw a rap man on here, I was super inspired because I was like, damn, like the nigga went from right wrap.
Speaker 2: Ups, the right movies, the TV shows.
Speaker 4: So but I already have mine, but I'm definitely gonna dive more into film. Still teaching, you know what I'm saying. You know, still writing, doing a lot of TV sync work, you know what I mean. So yeah, you know, having fun with it. Is it ever a chance for you as you to wrap up together?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Nah, beef, It's just no, no, no, there's no beef.
Speaker 2: I got you know, I got love for him. You know what I'm saying. I never ever, we never even met. It's crazy part that's funny. We talked. We talked in the d M one time. So funny, dude.
Speaker 4: So I can you know you're here wild, funny nag, you know what I'm saying. Like my stance on him now from what it was before, this is definitely like it's crazy. Like when I stopped, when I stopped doing the wrap up, when I look at all of the ship that I did in that time since I've been here last, it's like, I don't even miss the song.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I did the jay Z Rock and Roll of Fame BT, I did a festival in my city. I didn't did a film, you know what I'm saying. Like I did so much in that time, so I don't miss I don't miss it at all, even though people still hit me up about it.
Speaker 2: I don't miss it at all. Do you have a favorite wrap up? You did the first one?
Speaker 4: The first one, Yeah, that was the inaugural one. Man. I remember I listened to it, maybe not too long ago when I was like, uh, I got to the point where I was like I said, I said, Snoop, stop smoking in though Michael Jackson put his baby out the window. And it's like they because it's like they time capsules.
Speaker 3: Man. You go back and listen to them and they tell you so much.
Speaker 4: And when I think about all of the people that you know, have you know, borrowed that concept, like like you know, we talked about rap man and I just hit Nate Burroson today. He used to do an NFL wrap up you on Good Morning America. Now you know what I'm saying, Like, like we talked about before, so many franchises and just people just just doing their own version of it. So I'm glad I started something that people love, and now it's just time to keep keep starting new traditions.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Oh yeah, for sure, We'll continue to do your thing.
Speaker 1: Man, hope everybody's right.
Speaker 6: Drink Champs is a drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n O r E and dj e f N. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs hosted by Yours Truly, dj e f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms at the Real Noria go on I g at Noriaga.
Speaker 4: On Twitter, mine is at Who's Crazy on I g at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot.
Speaker 13: Hazard is Sounds Rising the Machines Castrumentals Volume one, available now on all platforms. Download today Rosing the Machines Song Contest seeking out all artists that want to take their career to the next level. Go ahead and join today by downloading the album, picking out your favorite beat, and making a song versu or hook to it submitted to Hazard It Sounds at gmail dot com and you will be judged by.
Speaker 2: Celebrity judges dj E f N.
Speaker 13: Drink Champs owned SB Killer Platinum producer and Scram Jones Multiplannum producer as well. You can also summit via IG by recording a video and performing the song simply tag Rise of the Machine Song Contest and we will repost your video as well. Winners will be announced September seventh. Joined today and May the best artists Way
Speaker 2: Editor