Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decided to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Jarchian.
Speaker 1: Happy fourth of July, everybody, Paul Jarchian here. My co host for Independence Day is Scott Fish.
Speaker 3: Hey, buddy, Hey, hey.
Speaker 4: If I'm gonna show up, it's gonna be for this one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, it's been a while.
Speaker 1: I mean you you are a co host on this show, and we have had far too much independence from Scott Fish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's been a busy, busy summer. But I am. I'm back for this show and I'm sure I'll be back in a few weeks.
Speaker 3: I hope so too. I hope so too.
Speaker 1: I know that's sort of the plan right now to get you back into the rotation.
Speaker 3: But you've been busy, I mean, you know, legitimate busy.
Speaker 1: So there's that running this little thing, uh that's uh turned into a absolute juggernaut, the Scott Fish Bowl.
Speaker 3: We are on iteration number fifteen.
Speaker 4: Scott, Yes, fifteen years fifteen years. Yes, that's an insane amount of.
Speaker 3: Time, isn't it. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: You never could have guessed in your one what this thing would turn into.
Speaker 4: No, no, I I completely figured that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, everybody saw it coming.
Speaker 4: No, nobody's not coming nobody.
Speaker 3: No, it's uh. We talked about it last week.
Speaker 1: You were on the show, Kent and I talked about the Vegas draft and how awesome that is and how I'm never going back even if I even if Vegas stops being the closest venue, I'm still going to Vegas every year.
Speaker 4: That's always going back.
Speaker 3: I'm always going back to Vegas. Now, that's it.
Speaker 1: It's it's the to me, it's the high water mark for all the live events that you do around scott Fish Bowl.
Speaker 3: But we're really where are we in the in the in the the general. I guess the schedule of scott Fishbowl drafts. Where are we right now?
Speaker 4: I know it's a giant schedule.
Speaker 3: Now right the day it was like a week, got.
Speaker 4: On a certain Monday and everybody's done within ten days. That's what it used to be. Now we start, we have a full month of SFB live events from June twenty first through July twentieth, it's legitimately a month of live events and right smack dab in the middle. This upcoming to Monday the seventh is when the slow drafts start the Potathon, which is a twenty four hour like old school telethon. It's a potathon, though it's live streamed on our YouTube that starts Sunday at noon. It's every half an hour. We have different guests from around the industry, different analysts jumping on to talk SFB or fantasy cares or what they have going on. It's becoming a very very big undertaking all of the things we got going on for s FB.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nuts.
Speaker 1: Now I had the disadvantage of basically having to drive oft first out of everybody.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: And you know things have changed since that draft. You know we, you know we at the time, we're all trying to get our arms around this new scoring system.
Speaker 3: There was no guidance to go.
Speaker 1: By, which honestly I kind of liked because then you didn't have to worry so much about like am I doing quote the right thing.
Speaker 3: You could just blaze your trail. You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like now already two weeks later there's a right and wrong path.
Speaker 4: No, there there may be, and stuff happens. I mean the year that Le'Veon Bell got hurt, he got hurt during the drafts and then people were picking up James Connor and yeah, and this year multiple tight ends have transferred teams in unretired rights going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking which might beloved John new Smith.
Speaker 1: Conceptly, Okay, first fear the Dolphins. Here you are you, you unlock the amazing athleticism of John new Smith. You're the first team that really gets what he can bring to the table, and don't have him paired with some other guy like Kyle Pitts or Hunter Henry.
Speaker 3: And he has this huge breakout season.
Speaker 4: He's his own man out there.
Speaker 3: Yes, so what do you do?
Speaker 1: You trade him to the freaking Steelers where now he's back to being part of a one two punch with Pat Fryermouth and we'll become basically undraftable. I'm just I'm so bummed out about this.
Speaker 4: Without Pickens, Can they just just throw them out there where Pickens was?
Speaker 3: They should that's right, let them line up outside. I say, go for it. Oh, I'm really really bummed out about that.
Speaker 4: That's all right.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Scott. We'll talk.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a bunch of Scott Fishbowl stuff, but I want to mention at the end of the show, it's going to be a bonus mini episode about the Declaration of Independence and what a badass move it was, Okay in seventeen seventy seven, insanely bold and the bravery of the signers unbelievable, and nobody talks to you. Nobody mentions what it took to do it and the price that people paid for the Declaration of Independence.
Speaker 3: We'll talk a little bit about that at.
Speaker 1: These I know we rarely go off sports, but I always feel like people don't appreciate that enough. So I'm gonna take the opportunity for the two people that will listen to the end of this podcast when we're done talking about fantasy football. I like it all right, And you don't have to stay for that, by the way, you can just be like, you know, we'll come out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, How timing works out here?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I know you do have you have other you have other time commitments.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's talk. I want to let's talk about the average draft position of players. What's unique about the Scott Fish Bowl scoring system. Well, let me, I'll let you tell people. I don't have to tell people.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 1: Why don't you tell people what makes the scott Fish Bowl scoring system so different this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this year it's really volume as king and that that's that's the easiest way to put it. A lot of the stuff is pretty standard. Your your quarterback passing and your quarterback and you're running back and receiving yards are all very very normal. You know that one per ten one per twenty five touchdowns are all six. That's that's pretty normal. There's a lot of normal stuff there. But when you get to the scoring where volume becomes king is on MFL. If you're playing on there, you get a point per target and a point per reception. So that's that's potentially two points for a catch because you're getting the target too, and and target monsters who don't catch the ball a lot, like Calvin regularly or Jameson Williams or something, yeah, or Kyle Pitts get all those target points. But but and if you're playing on sleeper, you get two and a half points per reception just to try to Yeah, yep, And then we have some IDP scoring for we don't have any ID PLEA players. We just have Travis Hunter and maybe Bo Melton and a few others that play ID play the IDP side. So we got some scoring because I want them to get whatever they get when they're playing on the field. And I think one of the bigger changes is the starting lineup is it's ultraflex this year. It's eleven starters, no positional requirements. If you want to start eleven running backs, you can start eleven running backs.
Speaker 1: So in my draft, and again we were we were part of the first draft. There were three simultaneous drafts that started this whole, this whole process, and ours was.
Speaker 3: One of them. We had somebody who went.
Speaker 1: Wide receiver for the first five picks, and in my same draft somebody went running back with the first seven seven picks. Scott, those are totally valid approaches.
Speaker 4: They are sure, why not?
Speaker 3: And where else are you gonna do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, we didn't win the scoring. Between the positions, they're somewhat balanced. And you don't have positional requirements. You're not like, oh I need to you know, I need to start two running backs, so I better get one soon. You just don't care anymore. You're just taking best available and or the players you just really like.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sense of how quarterbacks are going to play into this scoring system?
Speaker 3: Very well?
Speaker 4: Yet I think people will still mostly start too just because the safety of there's no negatives in this scoring yep. So I think just the safety of a low of a high floor will we'll keep them within those eleven starters. But I will say there's really only you know, four or five quarterbacks in the top twenty five last year in this format. They're they're kind of nerved a little bit because there's so much reward for Carrie's and receptions that it moves everybody else up. But I still think that the floor is there for them, and you know, you're just not going to draft them as high because they don't have the same ceiling as skill the other skills positions.
Speaker 1: I didn't take a quarterback until round seven Drake May okay, and then I took a couple in the four or five rounds after that, Jordan Love, who I think is going to really outperform as adp and Gino Smith, who I also think is Tino Smith is going after like Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't know Sam Darnold for us anyway. So that was my That's how I saw it.
Speaker 1: Scott was I just want a couple of quarterbacks just because for sure points, but I'm not putting any real pick equity into that. Have you seen the ADP for across all of the scott Fish bulls reflect that that quarterbacks aren't going as high.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's absolutely what it is. I mean, the ADP still has three quarterbacks going in the top twelve or thirteen or so. As I've watched these live drafts unfold, I went to the Chicago live event, I went to the Vegas live event. It seems like four of them, the four running quarterbacks who we can all just it's in our heads. We know it's the Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Jayden Daniels, and Jalen Hurts. They are routinely top two round picks and then there's a little bit more slide for the rest. That seems to be the way it's going.
Speaker 1: I had picked six in the scott Fish Bowl and brock Bauers went pick one, and then I took Trey McBride at pick eleven because there is an extra there's an extra point for tight end, So I'm like, okay, per reception. So I'm I go, all right, well, I'm gonna take Trey McBride.
Speaker 4: I've seen the second half of the season. They were like dad, even I've seen tre go ahead of Brock in some of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, if you think the touchdowns are gonna come around and you just want volume, Trey McBride is your volume leader at tight end, or at least he was last year. Sure, so yeah, the two touchdowns will change obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think so too. You want to know who I'm taking at the one on one? Do you do?
Speaker 3: You have the one on one?
Speaker 4: I have the one on one. I always take the one on one just to get it done and then I can go work on other things.
Speaker 3: Oh funny how you don't take twelve.
Speaker 4: And I've definitely done twelve in the past because when it when it was a corner year, you know, when the before the three I I used to take twelve because then I can do both picks and just get back to work right right exactly. But I'm taking Ashton genty, Are you okay?
Speaker 1: He's going off the board as pick eight in scott Fish Bowl drafts everywhere.
Speaker 4: A high of two. He's one of the top eight or nine players that have not gone number one overall. But I'm big on get your guys. Yeah, he's a first rounder. So if I'm at the one on one, I have to take him there because I'm not getting him in the next round. And I just love Boise. I almost went to college at Boise State. I've been a big Boise fan for a long time.
Speaker 3: Still wearing blue right now.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna do it. I'm just gonna do it, all right.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: So that'll be your first pick, Ashton genty pick number one. You'll be the first person. When are you drafting?
Speaker 4: By the way, I'm a slow draft. I always do a slow yeah. When I attend these live events, I'm way too busy to draft exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Minneapolis Live event is coming soon, right.
Speaker 4: Yep, July twelfth. It'll be uh, it'll be a fun one. We got a lot of really good donated prizes. I got a pylon. Oh my gosh, get this. I got a pylon signed by Chris Carter that says all I do is Cutch catch TDS.
Speaker 3: Shut up.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, man, Okay, all right, Okay, here's what I want to do. Yeah, as you know, in Las Vegas, my wife and I bought enough Raffle tickets that we won four prizes. I want to exchange those four prizes. The Neon Museum is gonna have to wait, the Bagel Factory's gonna have to wait. I want to exchange those four prizes for that pylon signed by Chris Carter, who only catches touchdowns?
Speaker 4: Okay? Or would you rather have the John John Randall sign helmet or the Chris Carter? All I do is catch touchdowns sign football.
Speaker 1: Wow, the pylon's way cooler.
Speaker 3: Nobody's gotta sign Pilon.
Speaker 4: That's why we get them, because they go so well at the live events because nobody has signed Pilon, Right, nobody's got that.
Speaker 3: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I've got got some jealousy about that. Now, Can I buy? Can I buy Raffle tickets from here for the Minneapolis? Can I just like Venomo you and enough to ensure I win.
Speaker 4: That, we'll get We'll fly to you a proxy.
Speaker 1: I gotta get a proxy puts in my Scott fish Bowl donations.
Speaker 3: I love it. That's fantastic, all right.
Speaker 1: So you got picked, all right, so I pick number one is going to be ashy and genty That puts you on the board for pick twenty four. Yep, that's exactly Travis hunter territory. He's currently going off the board at pick twenty four. Would you take him there? Give him the scoring.
Speaker 4: Cysent take him if he's available, And I'm not even sure if it's the I don't know if it's the right value. It's just fun. Yeah, it's just fun. And I'm not gonna win a five thousand team tournament, but I can have fun in a five thousand team tournament. Hell yeah, absolutely absolutely, I'll take Travis Hunter there for sure, because who.
Speaker 1: Knows how this thing's gonna gonna break apart? And you know there's a Travis Hunter has a path to be the highest scoring player in scott fish Ball.
Speaker 4: He does. I had someone tell me this at one of the live events, and I can't remember who it was or which one it was, but they said, I don't know what if he's so good at wide receiver, he never plays different defense and gets those points. And I said to.
Speaker 1: Him, said, anyway, right, yes, absolutely, same same could happen at cornerback. Although if you get to the Dion level of cornerbacking Scott, nobody passes at you. You get no interceptions. Dean wouldn't tackle anyway, he got no tackles. Dean Sanders as arguably one of the all time great shutdown corners. He just people just stopped throwing on his side of the field.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, you know that stamps right on that quite a few times from the revuses, even even the early saw like not saw us right away his rookie year, but end a rookie year into the next year, like that's it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Travis Hunter's high draft position again his average pick twenty four, high draft position five.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I like that somebody took him as high as five bold.
Speaker 3: That is great. That is great.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about this is the player whose ADP is the lowest but has gone first overall.
Speaker 3: Devon a Chan.
Speaker 4: Oh you know how I feel. We feel. We are generally on different pages. You feel like he he can't be a he and I think you're right. He can't be a work horse. I just think he can do with the volume he gets. I think he can put up great points. The problem is in this format he's not a work horse. He is a ten to fifteen touched back. You know, he's never going to be a work carse he needs those targets and receptions he was getting at the end of last year. Yeah, that's what he needs.
Speaker 1: So do you think with John Hugone, Yeah, and I should look up John Who's target numbers. But do you think with John u Gone that ultimately means more less or the same number of receptions for Devon Eh?
Speaker 4: I mean I would think more because I think some of those checkdowns. As as we know, Tua was a top two checkdown artist last year. He was either first or second in checkdowns, so he was he was consistently trying to find a chan Or or John Whu or you know, just running backs in general. So I could I could see it. We'll see if that changes this year, but I could see him taking a share of that. I don't think they've added anything that that that Tua would feel safety in compared to Chan and what he's done.
Speaker 1: I would normally in these situations, I say, if it's bad for the offense, it hurts.
Speaker 3: Everybody right right.
Speaker 1: You know where the Dolphins are a little bit different is they still have Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddles. So I mean there's still outside threats that defenses have to account for.
Speaker 3: And so, by the way, one.
Speaker 1: Hundred and eleven targets for John hu Smith last year.
Speaker 3: Wow, one hundred eleven.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I do think some of those alendo going to devon a Chan And then I think the big question mark is obviously will do to stay healthy? And then that offensive line, which has been bad. Tron Armstead retired. They they did add a new starting either.
Speaker 3: Left or right tackle. I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Remember which side James Daniels is going to play. I think left, uh, left guard, excuse me.
Speaker 3: And he was good with Pittsburgh, reasonably good, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: That offensive line, though, has not been great. They need guys to start living up to their draft billing on the offensive line for the for the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 4: Well maybe that maybe that rush makes him check down to a Chan more.
Speaker 1: Yeah might well yeah, you know, because that's that's what happened last year, So maybe it ends up happening here in Guillotine.
Speaker 3: I can't I a chance. Too dangerous to me.
Speaker 1: You get, you get the injury history, which God bless him for staying upright last year. You have the offensive line questions and the two of question and that's just too much risk for a guillotine league.
Speaker 3: Yeah my opinion.
Speaker 4: I you mentioned the running back rushes in this I did see someone go nine, ten, eleven running backs in a row. And I saw mock the other day, not the real draft, but a mock where up the twenty two picks they took eleven tight ends. Wow, that's having.
Speaker 3: Fun with it one. Yeah, they should.
Speaker 1: Somebody should actually try to execute that. I like to see what happened on this show last week. Ken said he's not drafting any receivers.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't I at the time, I didn't really challenge him on that, but I probably should have, just like, okay, I can.
Speaker 4: Again can build your team however you want in this from mat But that is interesting as because I understand they don't quite have the same volume ceiling as the running backs, but there comes a point where their depth is where their strength is because there's so many wide receivers, and especially week to week, you know, like when you're trying to put in a starter each week, you can we do this on fancy well weekly all the time there are injuries or their defenses or whatever, where we're like, this guy is primed for you know, a decent amount of target share this day.
Speaker 3: You know, right right.
Speaker 1: When do you start fretting about the next year's scoring system, because I'm already thinking about where? How where do you pivot from here? With ultraflex eleven starters. Anything you do next year, people are gonna feel all constrained by They're.
Speaker 3: Like, ohh, I gotta start three receivers.
Speaker 4: I've done this a bunch of times. I did this, and I was I was removing third round reversal this year until people started whining and they were confused. I specifically did not include third round reversal in my in my preliminary email, but I brought it back. But we'll probably remove it next year. I'll do time things from time to time where I will have a setting for three years and then it's gone on the third round reversal thing that do you know what the three best draft slots to have to win a championship? Last year? Where No. Twelve eleven ten?
Speaker 3: Really wow?
Speaker 4: Regular league?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: Regular non Okay, all right, so it overcorrected last year.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it did. How do you third round half reversal?
Speaker 4: Truly, I did a study like five years ago that maybe even more than that now where it said fifth round reversal is actually where it should be to do a better job even and out.
Speaker 3: I can see that third, that third is too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Anyway, with the ultra flex thing, I'm probably I think I'm probably going to keep it at least for a few years and I'll change other things. Okay, I think that's the way it's going to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think that makes sense if people want to get involved with the scott Fish Bowl now, and we should probably talk about Fantasy Cares for a minute. You know, sometimes I think we presume that all of our listeners already know because we've talked about it.
Speaker 3: So many times over the course of the show.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the charity behind the scott fish Bowl.
Speaker 3: Fantasy Cares.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Sure, Fantasy Cares is this charity that you know, we've we've been doing for a long time. It was like a fundraising group and then a nonprofit then now five oh one c three accredited charity for several years. Now. What we do is we we started out just getting you know, going out toy shopping in partnership with we're a national corporate sponsor of Toys for Tots. We'd go out with a marine and many many marines and many many cities and buy toys for kids at Christmas time. But we got so, we got big enough that we are able to now help so many different different charities anywhere from you know, pet shelters to food shelves to honestly, there's just too made a list, you know. Yeah, it's it's ridiculous. You know, Feed my Starving Children and uh feed American you know ones like those as well. It's it's just incredible what we've been able to do. Food insecurity, That's what I was looking.
Speaker 1: So if people want to get involved, either to play in the scott Fish Bowl or to donate, what's the best thing, what's the best thing for them to do or things for them to do?
Speaker 4: Uh Fantasycares dot org. You can donate there. We also run campaigns constantly because one of the things we like to do with our charity, we don't we don't want to just be a charity where you donate and maybe you get a mail or something and you get you know, like a male, Hey, donate again or whatever. We we want to build a community around this charity, so we have fun contests for like PGA or you know, even wrestling ones or March Madness or whatever. We have constant campaigns all year long, so you can play in fun little contests and have fun with it and meet other like minded people who have interest in doing good with this this fun hobby of ours. So Fantasycarees dot Org and there's a campaigns page. I don't remember what we have going on right now, but there's a campaigns page to possibly join something fun along with donating.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's you know.
Speaker 1: I've been you and I've been friends long enough that I remember you fretting about like how many gonna get I don't know. I think the number at the time was like three hundred teams. How might I get three hundred teams into this thing?
Speaker 3: Now you have five?
Speaker 4: And yeah, it is It is crazy to think that that even even even five six years ago, they were less than a thousand, and now there's over five thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unbelievable, unbelievable. Thanks a lot for all the scott Fish Bowl Intel.
Speaker 3: Sure do you want to hear? Do you want to hear my team. By the way, I know people.
Speaker 4: Do want to hear.
Speaker 3: People don't care about other people's fantasy teams.
Speaker 4: But see I do. I weirdly do. I want to hear like we like we talked about the eleven tight end guy. We care about his.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, because he was doing something interesting. I'm not going to go through my entire roster, but I do want to. I do want to hear what you think of my squad. Uh So I mentioned earlier, start with Trey mc bride, came back.
Speaker 3: With Puka Nakua. In the middle of this pick six I'm picking out of the six lot. Puka fell all the way to the middle of the second round.
Speaker 1: Okay, he could lead the NFL and targets in receptions, so okay, it was him or Malik Neighbors or Travis Hunter. And I really struggled with that for upwards about like ten seconds. But I was making a bloody Mary pool side at the time.
Speaker 4: And justin that helps.
Speaker 3: That does the decision, It really does.
Speaker 1: You Just yeah, you're just like, all right, I'll take Pooker and then Chase Brown because I think the receptions are going to go up. And uh, I do I want. I want to have the running back. I'm gonna have the Bengals starting running back.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, middle of the third round.
Speaker 3: Uh then start.
Speaker 1: Then things got Then things got a little bit trickier. Rashid Rice, who I'm really high on this year.
Speaker 4: You know before before he went out, Yeah he was, he was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like wide receiver four and the end of the.
Speaker 4: Year before he was great.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm like, okay, I'll buy on him. Don't like my next pick Omari and Hampton nervous, nervous about that at that.
Speaker 4: Stage, Liz took him in like the third Wow.
Speaker 3: She may have been egging me on at that point.
Speaker 4: She's big on Hampton gain a lot of volume, yes, yes, no fear of nause Harris not a lot.
Speaker 1: And I wish I'd drafted Naji Hair. Then I had Drake May and then you know, I'm not going to bore people the rest of it, but that's the That was the highlights of highlights of my squad right there.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, did you get Rashid scha heat at least? I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: No, I'm and I'm sad about that because you know how I feel about it.
Speaker 4: Are you sure I was? I was joking because he did.
Speaker 3: Oh I did get him, Yes I did.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, I did get Rashik Shahid around. They don't list the rounds here on this on sleep or they really should one.
Speaker 3: Too three, I don't. Let's call it round. Yeah, there you go, thirteenth round. How about that. That's let's hear from me, right, thirteen to seven Rashid Shahid. I love that pick. I love my own picks. Scott.
Speaker 1: Last year, you're you know, when you get done the system or when all the drafts got done, we got a you know, like would they appraise your your team?
Speaker 4: And yes, yeah, it tells you how well you did especially I think I can't remember the site that does that. I hope they do it again this year. Where you are, where you rank within all of us FT correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, last year it ranked me like sixty and I had my best year by a mile. I made it to the third round.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not bad. The third round of the playoffs was pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the rank that system will worked pretty well for whatever.
Speaker 4: It seemed to, at least for yours. I got ranked pretty low, but I did make the playoffs. I made a couple of rounds into the playoffs camera for two or three.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I remember, I recall. I think you and I got knocked out in the same week if I if I remember correctly, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I know you have other obligations. For those that want to continue, I'm going to talk a little bit about the Declaration of Independence and why it was such a badass moment in the history of mankind.
Speaker 4: I got a few moments, so I think I'll tag here and listen. All right, if I do, dip out before you're done. It was great. Thanks for having me on, and that was great talking a great holiday weekend.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: I want to start with this, of course, Declaration of Independence, published and signed July fourth, seventeen seventy six. Some people confuse it with the Constitution it is, It's not the Constitution. This was the document that told the British and the rest of the world that America was independent, and it was basically a declaration of war with the globe's superpower, England. It was authored by five men, of course, you know, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, who would later become president, Roger Sherman and Robert R.
Speaker 3: Livingston.
Speaker 1: And more importantly than just telling the British to f off, the Declaration of Independence explained why America was going independent and set the groundwork for the Constitution. And people think the two happened near each other eleven years between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, in part because they were at war with Britain for the Revolutionary War for eight years. I think people forget now that the Revolutionary War took eight years, so at the time there had never been any document history of mankind anything like the Declaration of Independence. It had many key components. It said, when in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and the end of Nature's God entitled them. A decent respect to the opinion of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which then impel them to the separation. And in saying that they were saying some really really key things that all men were created equal, including the king. This is a rebuke of the highest or order to the globe superpower and the king himself, and that all people had the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that the main business of government was just to protect those rights and not to protect itself, was to protect the rights of its citizenry. And if a government tries to withhold those rights, the people.
Speaker 3: Get to revolt.
Speaker 1: The document was audacious and his historic and an absolute fu to Britain and its king, just throwing down the gauntlet.
Speaker 3: The goals. Yeah, go ahead, Scott.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, did you know a lot of that A lot of a lot of our declaration came from the Declaration of Barbara where from Scottish history in thirteen twenty against also England.
Speaker 1: Funny how that works, right, England was the ultimate medaler for a thousand years, So it's I guess it's not that there were others that would end up trying that. They also announced that they are that America is a new independent country, and they did that because they needed to recruit troops and rally people to their side, because they knew the war was going to come and they needed to win foreign support. France and you couldn't do it as just rebels. You had to do it as your own country. So they announced the creation of the country in the Declaration of Independence, and they list all the grievances, which is really important, like cutting off trade, imposing taxes with no representation, no trial by jury. They had swarmed the King, had swarmed the country with British bureaucrats who were all just you know, paper shufflers who were getting paid but weren't providing anything to the people and blocking organized assembly and stuff like that. So they listed They wanted to make sure the world knew that this wasn't just for no reason, that here's what was happening in America.
Speaker 3: Because back in seventy seventy six, nobody really knew what was going on in the middle of America.
Speaker 1: Mostly, I want to tell you about the fifty six men who signed the document, because it's crazy what they were doing. They were committing treason punishable by death inside the country that is being ruled by the British.
Speaker 3: You know, so this Scott, this would be like you, yeah, committing treason knowing that down the street.
Speaker 1: In Lakeville is a police station and they could just come to your house whenever they wanted arrest you and put you to death.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is an incredible amount of I don't know the words I'm allowed to say. The stones under carriage stones.
Speaker 1: That this don't It's like declaring war, yeah, against Minnesota, while you're living in Minnesota, and it's punishable by death. The final sentence of the Declaration of Independence says, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor. And it was Benjamin Franklin who said, after signing it, we must indeed all hang together, or most assuredly, we shall hang separately. And all fifty six of them risked everything to sign the Declaration of Independence. And here's what they lost. And by the way, that a lot of them had a lot to lose. Seventeen of the fifty six were aged in their thirties or less. Two of them were in their twenties. And if you were an older signer, you had your fortune, you were a notable person. If you were signing this, you had land, you had assets, you had families. They all were risked at risk. If you were younger, you had your whole future at risk. Five of the signers were caught by the British and brutally tortured. Nine of the Signers died fighting in the Revolutionary War many many more were injured. Two of the Signers lost their sons in the war. Two of the Signers had their sons captured and tortured in the war. Twelve of the Signers had their homes pillaged and raised. Seventeen of the Signers had to formally file bankruptcy. They were bankrupted because all of their assets had been taken by the British, and so many of the Signers had family, wives, children who were jailed or tortured or mistreated or bankrupted that it was almost all of the fifty six. And at the end of the day, none of the fifty six backed off and recanted their decision. None of them ended up flipping sides, even through the eight year war.
Speaker 3: Scott, jeez, So there you go. Yeah, incredible, it is incredible.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like this in America today.
Speaker 3: Nope, Nope, there really isn't.
Speaker 1: No, you know, we're like, you know, oh, I don't use plastic straws. That's my heroism.
Speaker 4: For the day.
Speaker 1: So, you know, yeah, things of things have changed. Those guys were those fifty six. Unbelievable what they risked and the liberties that we enjoy today. I think most of us take for granted.
Speaker 3: Thanks for hanging out, Scott.
Speaker 4: Thanks thanks for having me. It was fun to hear about too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, little history lesson at the end. We never do this on Fantasy Football Weekly, but we're doing it today. We'll talk to you down the road, and thanks for listening, everybody. We'll talk to you next week. Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.