Speaker 1: O La La Loka Motes. Welcome to season nine of lok at Dora Radio. I'm Theosa and I'm Mala. Look at Dora Radio is a podcast dedicating to archiving our present and shifting the culture forward. You're tuning in to Capitolo two O nine.
Speaker 2: Last time on loc at Our Radio, we spoke with Esoteric Essa.
Speaker 3: We all have some sort of medicine and some sort of capacity through our own unique gifts, and I really just for me that came down to the point where I was like, listen, I grew up with all this stuff and I've always had a natural curiosity. Let me go back to learning the tiro and let me talk to my mom.
Speaker 2: Tune in, leave a comment, subscribe and share with a friend. On today's episode of look at Our Radio, we are joined by two very special guests, Samantha Johnson Yang and Mona Morales Recalde. Samantha is a cultural officer and Mona is the community outreach lead for the San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians Tongva gab We'll be talking about the history of the Tongva, their efforts to stop the poaching of white stage from southern California, wildlife reserves and an ongoing battle to protect and preserve their tribal identity. I recently worked with Mona while m seeing a music EPOCA event organized and hosted by the office of City council Member Aissas Ernandez, as well as at the grand opening of the very first CD one field office. Mona was delivering the land acknowledgment at both the events, and we thought it would be a natural fit to have Mona on Locata to bring us up to speed with the issues that the Tongva Gabrielino people are currently facing. If you live in La you've probably attended a ton of events that include a land acknowledgment of the San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians Tongva Gabrielino, which is incidentally the first and only state recognized tribe in the LA area. But how much do we actually know about the first Angelinos? Mona and Samantha are on to tell us more. Mona and Samantha, thank you so much both for being here with us today and chatting on look at the radio. Can you both introduce yourselves for our listeners?
Speaker 4: Sure? Hi, everyone, My name is Mona Morales Ricalde. I am from the Sant Gabriel Band of Mission Indians, and definitely want to say thanks to both of you for having us here today.
Speaker 5: And I am Samantha Johnson Yang. I'm the tribal Cultural officer for the Gabrilino Tongva Band of Mission Indians. Oh San Gabriel.
Speaker 2: Fabulous. Thank you both for introducing yourselves and I'm really excited to talk about your tribe, but what you guys are working on the issues that you're facing. Mona, I met you at two different events. We've done some work together, Aisa said, Nan this and her office for the city Council have like put on events. They had a field office grand opening and you were there providing a land acknowledgment. And I wanted to start there because I feel like a lot of Californians, a lot of Angelino's. Anybody who's going to events in LA has probably attended an event where a land acknowledgement has been delivered, or maybe a graduation what have you. And I think that we are aware that the Tongva, the Gabrielino Tongva, your tribe or the original peoples of this territory, but we don't necessarily know much more about your tribe and your history and the current issues you all are dealing with. So I was hoping we could start there, and what are some things that most Californians, most Angelinos don't know about your tribe.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's such a good question to start with. It's that we are still here. We often face issues of erasure and visibility of our people on our own ancestral land, and so doing land acknowledgments, hopefully with partnership behind it, is a great way of showing our continued presence and then with partnership showing that there is the interest of helping to increase our visibility on our land. That for me is what I would say is our number one issue. It's hard for people to visualize what Los Angeles look like before colonization, to know that this was Indian country before there were was concretes and lights in Hollywood, to imagine what this land looked like and how are people lived. So that's an area that I think is for me the number one issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I joke that we're the skeleton in Hollywood's closet, were like the original skeleton in Hollywood's closet, because Hollywood history is in Los Angeles history is just seen as so new, like calling the plumber. For my work, I work at the Tongva Tadahapahava Conservancy, the People's Land Conservancy, and when I say Tongva, they're like Tonga, and I'm like, I love my Polynesian people, but I don't identify as Polynesian. I'm not Tonga. I'm Tongva. And so that is definitely the biggest issue for me personally. I'm biased because I'm an environmental biologist, but for me, our biggest issue is the poaching of our sacred plant, white sage. So its spread. It started here in Los Angeles and like Powell culture, and it was spread across as like this great way to clear the vibe vibes and to bring blessing. But people started poaching it from the wild. And so when that started happening, you know, how can a plant that's been so distressed bring blessing? And so we try to bring awareness about that as well.
Speaker 4: The other thought that came to my mind is also to talk about education. Like you said, people from La know our name and that's it, but knowing beyond that.
Speaker 2: The education of the history of our people.
Speaker 4: And knowing what that means for the hardships and the atrocities and genocides that our people have survived and that we are still here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that education component that you just brought in because I think most children raised in LA and maybe in la Us School District, or in my case, I went to a Catholic school in Los Angeles, and our introduction to maybe a quote native history maybe would have been through like the Mission projects, which is definitely not like a people's history, but that may be the first quote educational component that we learned as children in this area. So I'm wondering for you, what would a model be to educate the public, educate Angelinos and especially children from a very young age about the history and awareness of the tongue of people.
Speaker 4: I believe that Native education can be a part of every single discipline in education. So whether it's math and learning, basket weaving and multiplication, to science, to botany, to every dimension of education can include and be based in Native American studies. Our tribe is currently working with LAUSD el Hamber School District a handful of other school districts in LA to help ensure that we're teaching teachers how to teach about us. The challenge is our topics and talking about our history is difficult. We have a hard history, and so being able to say that we had state sponsored genocide in California and you're teaching that to third graders, that's a hard topic to have. And so learning to have those conversations in a way that teaches perspective but also teaches the truth is really important. Many California Indians will say that the equivalent of doing the Mission project is the same as having a Jewish person build Auschwitz, because that's how detrimental and harmful the Mission system was to our people. That being said, our tribe still holds a relationship with the Mission, and that often gets complicated because people are like, how in the world can you hold a relationship with a mission that was responsible for so much atrocity. The best way that we described at is we have about six thousand ancestors that are interred around the mission grounds. With our relationship with the Mission, we are able to do song and dance and have ceremony at the Mission. If we break that relationship with the Mission, we lose that contact with our ancestors on the ancestral land and that's important to us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, and I think that there needs to be a broader conversation about maybe the audience that the Mission Project has because maybe that isn't appropriate for elementary school. I mean, when I learned about the Holocaust, it was as early as ninth grade, which is definitely not the same as being in third grade. And so the educational models that I appreciate seeing are more based on culture when they're younger, and then go into the atrocities of history as they get older, and that automatically builds empathy for our tribe as well, which is a really important component, especially when you're also combating this racism that has quite literally erased us from the Los Angeles narrative. And so teaching kids about native plants, how we interact with native plants as a culture, how to grow native plants in their own area and have empathy for those plants and in turn empathy for the people that once cared for them. That's something that any age, any person can be introduced to as a way to really understand what we're about and what was eradicated as well.
Speaker 1: Anywhere Locomotives, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back with more of our episode. Thank you all for all of that context and for our listeners who are not from California who don't know what a mission is. In the state of California, we have twenty one missions that were constructed by the Spanish and the Catholic Church to colonize the California territory and to convert the indigenous communities all up and down California to Catholicism Christianity. So most missions include a Catholic church, a lot of them have a school cemetery. And then I think back in the day, right almost like plantations where they were growing crops and Native peoples were enslaved like to work the mission grounds. So that's what a mission is. And in California, if you go to a California school, usually what in the third grade we are as students, we are assigned or we like build a model of one of the twenty one California missions and then do a project where we report back on like the history and the architecture and the different indigenous communities.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what's really fascinating about the twenty one California missions is that only one of those missions, even though they all have very detailed records of the tribes that we're enslaved. There only one mission Indian tribe is federally recognized, even though we have centuries of documentation from you know, a quote unquote official organization, the Catholic Church.
Speaker 1: Can you clarify that for me? So, of in the mission system, the missions, one group, only one tribe is recognized by the missions.
Speaker 5: By the federal government.
Speaker 2: Can you say more?
Speaker 1: Can you talk more about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So, the reason why only one mission is federally recognized down the coast of California, I'm sure if you asked a government official, they would have a lot of really wonderful political reasons. But if you look at the property value of where each of those missions is at, it's in some of the most expensive property in the country, including Los Angeles. We have three different reality TV shows, if not more about just trying to find a house, and multimillion dollar houses in this county. And so to be a federally recognized tribe, you have to get a certain amount of land back for a reservation. And so the federal government does not want to hand over such expensive land. And so there are hundreds of federally unrecognized tribes in the country who have the same story as us.
Speaker 2: This is really interesting and so it brings us to our next piece of the conversation. And so if we think about the name of your tribe, you're the San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians Gabrielino Tangva, which directly relates back to the San Gabriel Mission where your community very deep roots. And there are some issues right now as far as like your tribal identity and there are there is a tribe that is seeking federal recognition. Can you talk to us about like the status of your tribe and like where you guys are recognition wise, and then this other tribe and some of the issues that you're facing with identity.
Speaker 4: So in nineteen ninety four, the Chief, Anthony Morales, the chief of our tribe, received a state resolution that identifies in the resolution that it was for the San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians. In two thousand and one, Hildas Elease proposed a bill for our tribe to receive federal recognition. Unfortunately, nine to eleven happened that bill got shelved. At that time, our tribe was known as Gavulino Tongue venation San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians. So if we fast forward to current day, there is a we call them, a group, not a tribe that was recently formed that calls themselves the Gavulino Tongue Venation, and they are seeking federal recognition for purposes of a casino, as stated in an LA Times article, and that is it causes confusion because of the name, because they're using the name that we were formerly known as, which is problematic. In addition to that, we support and understand the need for gaming with tribes and the importance and benefit it can provide to the Native community. That being said, at this time, our tribal focus is definitely around cultural preservation and education. And so seeing someone that is taking a name that we used to be known by and stating that the state recognition that we received is their recognition, it's problematic and causing a lot of confusion within the LA Native community.
Speaker 5: Great answer, I mean, I guess the only thing that I would add is that there are other additional groups that are not hunting for federal recognition right now, and they branched off from our original nation in the nineties and now they specialize on different things. So some do monitoring, which is like if you're building a building and you find a and ancestral remains, they focus on figuring out how to handle those remains. That's monitoring. There is groups that focus on just doing tongva art and representing us within the art community. They all kind of found their niches. In my opinion, it's it's a little bit like funny because it happens also in federally recognized tribes. But that's just kind of what happened with our little with our little.
Speaker 4: Group, and our current status is one day we would love to be federally recognized for sure. The major benefit that I see a federal recognition is that if an ancestor is found on our ancestral land, the ancestor has to be handed over to a federally recognized tribe. So it requires us to have relations with federally recognized tribes in the area for our own ancestor, which boggles my brain. And so that to is the main reason why we want federal recognitions is to ensure that we're properly entering our ancestors on our own ancestral land, which right now, due to the laws, is prohibitive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't have a lot of rights. We can't even gather native plants without a special permit if we're not in a federalized tribe.
Speaker 1: And what's that stake for your community and your peoples if this other group is federally recognized.
Speaker 4: Locally, what is at stake is more rasure. So in the Native community, we often speak of lateral oppression where one tribe definitely tries to seek or overpower another, or a group one group tries to seek or overpower our tribe. And so that's what we call lateral oppression, where it's trying to keep native against Native harm, which happens more often than I wish to say. It happens, so that I would say the continue to rasure of our people and our tribe, where the tribe that's been here since time immemorial because of our relationship with the mission. You know, as we start out talking about the history, right, and so we have that longitude and that history and the government to government relationships, and so to have a new group pop up and then take our history and say that it's you know, take everything that's ours and say that it's theirs, it causes more confusion and more harm. And we all know, you know, our people have gone through a ton of generational harm that's continued. So we really try to focus on what can we do from a healing perspective, and how can we move forward in a healing in a good way. And we found for us that focusing on cultural preservation and education is a good way to promote healing. It's also a good way of promoting visibility to say that we're still here and then to also show that we're here in a good way, because none of us can go backwards and change what's happened to our people, right, but what we can do is help to make sure that we're working together in a positive way to help promote the right messages of healing and then also finding ways to find the visibility. You know, think about it. I always like to share this in our pre contact what the staple to food to us as food was acorns. When we would gather acorns, we would gather acorns for the entire village. Today, if we had to rely on acorns and gathering for sustenance, we would gather only for our own homes. And why do I say that, Like, look at what happened with COVID and toilet paper, right, people are so focused about just their own world, not the community. So I think that moving from the idea of a more community centric way of living is the right way to go and helping to move people into that thought process of thinking about others and how do we service one another, because that's how we lived pre contact, and I think there's a lot of wisdom in that in this time and history.
Speaker 5: Of where we're at.
Speaker 1: We hope you're enjoying this interview.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned, we're back, and we hope you enjoy the rest of the interview. Yeah, thank you for that. I do think that's a really interesting sort of way of painting like there was a very community focused way of operating and existing and now in a post colonization, capitalist society, we operate very differently. We're very individualistic, single family home and like you illustrated with the pandemic, I think we learned a lot about resource hoarding and how that works in our society. For our listeners who are following the history and the conversation as it's being laid out in this interview, I want to help tease out a little bit for our listeners some of the like we talked about before we started recording, like the name and the semantics, and how the details are very important here because our listeners might be tuning in and thinking. But the names of these two of one group and one tribe sound very similar. Gabrielino Tongva nation versus San Gabriel Band of Mission Indians Gabrielino Tongva. How do we know, Oh, who's who and what's what? And this other group? Were they originally part of the tribe and they splintered off? Did they kind of just pop up out of like? Where is there like a common root with these two? And why are the names so similar between the two.
Speaker 4: So the names are so similar because they chose to make it similar to cause confusion, is my guess. Our history is rooted in the Mission system for all California Indians. You can't talk about California Indians and not talk about the Mission system. So our tribe definitely is the tribe that has been here since time immemorial. What happened in nineteen ninety nine was the Indian Gaming Compact, So Pachanga went from being a bank bill hall to now this fabulous casino and hotel and all of this great many great things. You know. That's just an example. And when that happened, there were a lot of factions that happened within our tribe. And based on those factions that happened, as Samantha said, everyone's kind of found their lane. But in addition to that, there is a lot of confusion about the na and like to add to that just for fun conversation, the way that Govulino is spelled is often very It can be different, so it can be spelled with an E and O at the end or an I and O at the end, But we prefer the E and O for two reasons. One, that's the way it's documented in the church records as well as are we have what's called a certified degree of Indian Blood where the government gives us a number and a name and identifies us as Govilino. It's spelled E and O in that documentation, so we stick with the traditional way of E and O. That being said, there are other groups that have taken I and o as well. We know that we're Govulino, you know, and the name Goviulino comes from the San Gabriel Church. The word Tongva was documented, I want to say back as far as like eighteen thirty nine, and that means people of the earth, and that's the Native American ward or name for our for our tribe. And so you can't get away from those two words if you're going to say that you are tied to us, right, but then where some of the intricacies come are beyond that and what does that look like? And you know, for us specifically because we're tied to the mission, where the same Gabriel Band.
Speaker 5: I think it's really similar to just kind of spotting any scam. I don't want to deny the Native heritage or the Tongva heritage from other people from other groups, because they did some of them really did originate with our original tribal group and so they still do like some really good work. So I would say that, you know, if if you're unless you're like a big government official or you're you're making some really major decisions, you could probably respect someone's heritage if that's how they identify. But if you need to do stuff that digs a little bit deeper, and the person that you're working with starts getting really defensive, like just doing the standard like scam defense thing, then maybe it's time to find someone else in the community.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also I think that a lot lot of our listeners are LATINX like and we definitely identify as Latina's right. And I think in the Latini God conversation, there's a lot of like, well what is it? Is it culture? Is it language? Like what does it mean to be Latino LATINX. If you have one parent who's from Latin America, then you can identify as Latino. If you have like a grandparent who's from Mexico, you know, then you have a Mexican grandparent. And I think that there's a very different way of constructing an understanding indigenous identity versus Latino identity, right because somebody might be listening and thinking, well, if this other group has some Native blood, then what's the problem. But the way that Native identity and formal recognition is figured out is not the same as it like other people groups.
Speaker 5: You hit it right on the head because with that, that's what's so messed up about how federal recognition and tribal identity works in this country is that there's not really any other race. Well, I identify as Afro Indigenous, and so I. In my opinion, there's not really any other race except for when they were doing things like towards black people, and like the Chinese Exclusion Act. They're still kind of doing that to Native people, where like we have to have a certain amount of blood, we have to have a certain heritage, and then we get these benefits. We get these special benefits that no one else gets because of our specialness as native people. And what we want as like a special specialness as native people. In my personal opinion and my personal passion is we just want land back. We want land back so that way we can practice our food sovereignty, practice our culture, practice our language, and mostly be left alone. That's the benefits that I feel like a lot of tribal people want. And the casinos became an issue because we became like there's this analogy of we became these crabs in a bucket where you know, if we all together, we could all leave the bucket. But because every crab is trying to pull the other crab down, we're just constantly fighting each other. And so it created this extra form of conflict that I don't think is seen in other cultural identities. And that's part of the reason why it's so touchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to read from your website, you know, like the way I my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, but the way that someone is basically counted as like a formally recognized Indigenous person, like there's like records and documentation, and the same is not true really for other people groups. So from your website, all enrolled Tribal citizens SLASH members have direct lineages from historics and gabral Band of Mission Indians Gabrilino, verified by certified genealogists and church records as directed SGBMI Indian lineal descendants on the California Judgment Fund rolls of nineteen fifty three and nineteen seventy two, and or have certificates of degree of Indian Blood issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Right, So native identity is very complicated because it's all also wrapped up in government recognition exactly.
Speaker 5: It's a cluster, isn't it.
Speaker 4: And it's colonization it worked.
Speaker 5: Can I swear on this podcast it's a cluster?
Speaker 4: Fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And so I you know, I bring this up because I think this maybe helps our listeners to sort of like contextualize the issue that you guys are waiting through here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and with certified degrees of Indian blood, it then that in itself could be a whole podcast because you have two different parts there. You have certain people that say, I'm numbered and so that makes me the equivalent of like a purebred dog or a racehorse, and I don't want to be numbered, but that's what the government does. You have certain people that say, because you have a CDI B, it makes you a legit Indian. And then you have other people, which this is more newer as of this year. I've heard it that just because you have a CD I B it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 5: It's just I don't know, it's it's a it's growth on top of more racism and systemization, because if you look at the history of degrees of Indian blood, there are plenty of examples where it benefited you because you were Indian enough, and there were issues where things were taken away because you were too Indian, and so it's just this I think it's racism still at work personally, but I also think that because of the way that we've experienced genocide as a tribe. We've experienced three waves of genocide personally, and a lot of tribes in America have experienced some form of genocide, and so that documentation has been warped just like everything else, to promote a genocide.
Speaker 1: Thank you for giving all of that context. I think it's so helpful for listeners, especially outside of LA and outside of California. And one of the things we also wanted to talk to you all about is the use of white sage, because I don't know if you know this, but Latinas and Chicanas love to use white sage, yes, and there are ethical ways to consume it, and there's also harmful ways to consume it, and it's being poached, like you mentioned, So we want to hear more about that and how can people, if possible, even to ethically consume it, and let's just have that conversation here.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I would say that the cultural appropriation that we experience as tongue of people is not necessarily like in Halloween costumes. I mean, like fuck the Halloween costumes also, but they're usually more directed towards like plain Indian culture. For us, our cultural appropriation, the main harm is in the inappropriate use of white sage and also abalone shells and hawk feathers along with that. So all three of these items are currently being poached from the wild from coyotes or people who are being exploited by coyotes, and so right now it's really problematic because the migrant workers who don't really know any better are the ones that are getting in trouble for poaching white sage, when really it's like these big wholesalers who are exploiting these micro workers and basically screwing them over so they could make a lot of money off of a poached plant. And a couple of years ago, we received three hundred pounds poached from Edewanda Preserve and I thought it was going to be this big, beautiful gift. I was really excited, but then when we got it, it was it was like sad. It was really sad. It was like it was like expecting to adopt a dog and just like the saddest, most abused dog like showed up on your doorstep and you were like, oh my gosh, who did this to you? Baby? Like, Because for us, our plants are our relatives, like we love them the same way we love our family. Members and so to see that was really devastating, and so now we tried to spread the words. So I actually brought some little Regarlitos for you guys, thank you. I brought a little packet of stickers that say protect white Sage, and so we like to have people, you know, put those on their water bottle and spread the word. And then we also I have some like little stickers of native plants that I.
Speaker 2: Hear so much.
Speaker 5: Oh those are beautiful, which just fun. And then my last thing was just these little bundles of white sage. So these are like probably a third of the size that you would see in stores. Right, They're really tiny, and that's because we grew them at home and we wrap them ourselves with our care, and that's that's where the blessing comes from. And so I wanted to bring those as a gift to you know, thank you for having us on the podcast where gift givers as a culture, but also to just so it shows an example what like the real homemade stuff like grows like because here in southern California and if you're in like the desert area, like you could probably grow white sage really successfully if you're in like a hot climate like we are here. In fact, white sage grows natively almost in the entire La County basin, and I would love for more people to grow white sage. We always joke that we want like white sage to be like like where lemon trees are. Like everyone's got a lemon tree. Everyone needs to have a white sage plant. Yeah, Mona has two in her in her yard and we do.
Speaker 4: And this is what I would say. We hope that everyone grows their own. When you asked about how to get white sage, we also hope that when you grow your own, you gift it to other people because of the thought that it's gift from Mother nature. And at the point that currency is exchanged for it, it loses its ability to give you a blessing. So it's something that imagine like going back to the thought of a community and we have everybody that's gifting each other white sage. How beautiful that would be.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Actually, you can get the seeds right now, just like wherever you see white seede, right, I mean, please don't gather from the wild. I would prefer if you didn't gather from the wild, but a lot of places I see it in people's yards all the time. This is actually the time to gather the seed right now is like late July through August. So I'll tell you a secret about the seed pods, because there's there's way more medicine and white stage than just burning it. But I don't really tell people that medicine unless they're growing it. But I will tell everyone how to collect the seed because right now it's ready. So the flower stocks are going to dry up and they're going to look dead, and then when you shake them, you're going to hear a rattle and that's all the seeds inside. So you can take one of those stocks, you can snap it right off. It's ready for it to leave the plant, and you just shake it. You can shake it like into a little plastic container or whatever, and you'll have little brown seeds that come up and you can plant those directly into the soil. I've heard of people having success with putting a little liquid smoke or burning a little bit on top of it and then like extinguishing the fire, so just like a really really tiny fire for like maybe ten seconds and extinguishing it. I did that once and it was it worked pretty well, and so there's different ways of planting it. It's not always going to come up, but it's something that can be worked on. And then if you have it, if you get it too wet, it will get moldy, so you can't really have it like right next to your lawn sprinkler. But maybe that's just an opportunity to kill your lawn and plant more natives. That's what I usually tell people. But it's time, This is the seeding time, and so you can gather the seeds right now and you can get a free sage plant from like that way.
Speaker 2: So what I'm hearing is we really shouldn't be buying white sage at all, not really. And that's really interesting because I think everybody wants to know, like, oh, what's a less harmful way to buy something? But there's not a less harmful buying option here, really.
Speaker 5: Buying the plant and putting it in the ground. You can get it from a lot of a lot of native plant gardens, theater pain Foundation, a lot of places where you can grow it, will have it, and if you don't, like if you live in a colder state, then I recommend alternatives. There's like hundreds of different stage varieties. There's rosemary, there's pine, there's ceedar burn, something else that you grow.
Speaker 1: Pos to that's its own conversation in like the Peruvian Amazon, it's it's a thing as well.
Speaker 2: And so we're using this word poached, which I feel like most listeners probably hear poaching with regards to like the animals. Yeah, it's a poaching an egg like style of technique. Yes, no, but like poaching like going on safari and like poaching rhinos and you know, exotic animals. But when we say poaching with regards to white sage, what does that mean specifically?
Speaker 5: It's incredibly similar. It's where people are, like people who are desperate are exploited to go out and grab as much as they can. And so for white sage specifically, like if you grow it in your ear ar like mona does, like if every spring you can trim it back and you will have like two dozen bundles plus to give to your friends and family. But what these poachers do is they just find whatever is available and they cut it all the way down before it has a chance to flower or seed. And so sometimes the sage grows back. Sometimes it gets crowded out by invasive species. Sometimes it's too traumatized to keep growing. And so it's abuse of a plant the same way that it's an abuse of an animal.
Speaker 4: And it's taking it from a federally usually from a federally protected space, or from a space that they did not grow it themselves, and then taking harming the plant by removing.
Speaker 5: It, and the same thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, and so we're talking about like a corporation or like a business. It's hiring workers to then go out and do that. That's like the distinction it words, not just like individual people. And maybe that does happen right going in and like taking some white stage in the wild, but it's like companies with the or businesses with the intent of exploiting it and selling it for like twenty dollars.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, and they will not like claim it, you know, they have their networks, of course, but they sell it at five below, they sell it at Spencer's, they sell it at whole Foods, and they sell it just like wholesalers will sell it to small businesses as well. And so usually you can ask someone where they get their white sage and they'll be like, oh, I don't know. Some guy and that's how you know that it was probably poached. And the same thing happens with a baloney shells and hawk feathers, and so that's why I recommend like incense bowls or my friend maybe this really pretty little bowl that I actually burned my sage. And I don't even use an abaloney shell because I'm aware of the poaching as well, even as a tongue of a person. And so I think with any natural resource that you grab, like shells, that kind of thing, Like it's always good to question, like how did this get on this show?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And from so folks can actually go to your website and I'll have you guys give the website address again. But I thought it was in doing research on the white stage topic. I thought it was interesting, like, so there's not really farms that produce white sage necessary.
Speaker 5: I think there's like two in Mexico and one in Washington or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if it's coming from somewhere in California, it's being taken from a southern California wildlife reserve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they'll call it wild gathered or like ethically wild forge just because they put an ethically in front of it. Does not mean that it's ethical.
Speaker 2: Right, and so can you guys give for our listeners your tribal website once again so they can come and visit learn more about your tribe and the issues around the poaching of white sage.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is www dot Gaviolino dash nsn dot us and you spell Gavolino ga b r I E l e n O amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you both so much for joining us today. This was so informative. It's just so great. Thank you both.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Loka to a Radio is executive produced by Viosa Fem and Mala Munios.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Franco is our producer.
Speaker 1: Story editing by Me.
Speaker 2: Diosa creative direction by me Mala. Look at a.
Speaker 1: Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michael Dura podcast network.
Speaker 2: You can listen to Loka to a Radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirl.
Speaker 2: And thank you to our local motives, to our listeners for tuning in each and every week.
Speaker 1: Desitos Loka l