Speaker 1: Yip yip. You know boys is back and reloaded all in your mind. Yeah, now deep throating. This is for the streets, the real, the real goading, the distenfranchise, the.
Speaker 2: Truth, escapegoating, and they ain't know when we speak the truth. So they quoted because we wrote it. The North South East coaches. The ge be mocked for keeping your head, Bobby, it ain't no stopping and wants to be drops head by then the system is so corrupt they threw the.
Speaker 1: Rock out their heads and then blame it on us. Don't get it twisted on coding. We danced to put no butterment biscuits. It's Willie d y'all ghetto boys in the house back with another episode of information and instructions to help you navigate through this wild, crazy, beautiful world in the studio. Visionary of the Year candidate for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society jas Man Terry, I love, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you somebody else.
Speaker 1: What an honor to be doing something that helped saved lives?
Speaker 3: Absolutely right?
Speaker 1: How long have you been involved with this?
Speaker 3: So? I was nominated early part of the year from a friend, Maggie Noell. She participated last year fundraiser, and we prepped I guess for a few months on you know, the direction and if you're serious about it, and so I was like, you know, I'm all in. You know, leukemia actually is something that runs in my family. So it was my great grandmother. So it was something that's really personal to me because no one in my family knew what happened to her. We like, we literally didn't know. I was at the age of three at the time, but my grandmother passed away within a week and a half time period. So my family was like, what is this. It's cancer, but you know, the culture wise of not sharing if there's health issues and if there's information, she didn't really know what's going on. So by the time we found out, she passed away the following week. So there was a lot of testing in the family, like, okay, you have Liukemi or her kids, my grandmother and my aunt, to my mother and now to myself, just to make sure you know it's a bloodline. Especially with a lot more research, you know, it's definitely more evident and it's a lot more prominent. You know, there's resources to actually go to. So when I was asked to be a part of this and to be nominated to be a Visionary of the Year. I was highly honored, honestly to be a part of such an amazing organization and to give back, you know, and learn in this process as well.
Speaker 1: How old was your grandmother when she died she passed away?
Speaker 3: I would say she was in her sixties.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: She was actually your great things.
Speaker 1: This was your great grandmother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I passed away three I mean, my god, not I passed away. She passed away when I was three years old. So she passed away in eighty nine and my my mother was living. So this is my grandmother's mother. So yeah, she passed away in her late fifties. I'd say early sixties to be honest.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so and to do to pass away and there's no information, so she didn't give us an information.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: My family's from my mother's side is from Louisiana, so you know, when it comes to medicine, right, my family don't believe in medicine. You know. My great grandfather, my great grandmother is everything is in the pantry, you know, from honey to everything that comes from the farm. So trusting doctors, trusting physicians, that's been a and even as a child, that's a knug something's wrong. Let me fix this for you, focusing on your gut, you know, and things of that. So this was her in real time that she had no control of what's going on and the remedies that she was possibly doing for herself. It didn't help the situation. And so by the time she let the family know I have leukemia, she passed away shortly after, you know, so it was very devastating. Of course I was a kid, but I remember as a child my mother and my grandmother. I remember the funeral, I remember my grandfather, and I'm like, what happened to granny? You know, like, you know, because we had such a close connection. You know, even now you know, family, you look so much like your great grandmother. You know, y'all are similarly the same, you know, just like you know all these things, and you know, to know that she passed away without any research really being available to her, you know, was it's it's a disconnect, you know.
Speaker 1: So I'm tripping a little bit on you being able to remember at three years old. Oh yeah, I think my earliest memory is somewhere around five, maybe four and a half five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I remember, you know, for me energy, I can't I remember smells, I remember feelings, and I think that's that's energy is so important, like connecting, Like I can't tell you at three years old what the conversation was, but I remember what I felt. I remember the smell, I remember the touch. I remember kind of these small memories. But it was really like her energy that more any more than anything, you know, So yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Do people in your family typically live to be a long you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, honestly, on both sides of the family, they do. And I think that's a that's a beautiful thing to have because growing up as a kid, I had my great great grandfather, I had my great grandfather, I had my great my great grandmother passed away, but I had my great aunts that lived to like one hundred and five one hundred. In my I believe man free to live was the longest maybe one hundred and six mothers.
Speaker 1: By your grandma, your great grandma died at sixty.
Speaker 3: You know, And no, no, not really, because I mean I had such an older with like an older group of family members to kind of connect with, you know. Now, my grandmother heard my grandmother's uh, my great grandmother's daughter, my mother's mother. She passed away fairly early. She passed away in her fifties from some issues. She was depression and other things. But she passed away fairly early. But along those lines, my family lives like a pretty long time, to be honest, and with everything that's going on in the world right now, I think about because everyone's like, oh, my god, you had your great grandfather. Yeah, like y'all didn't have it great aunts and they were like nineties and eighties, and you know, I think even me growing into a woman and understanding now how important information is that, even on foods and like knowing your culture, you know, knowing different things. It's a lot of people know nothing about their grandmothers, their grandparents or didn't have the opportunity I can go back to like my great grandparents, you know. And then that's my mother's side, my father's side, even with my great great grandfather being Jack Yates and to see like the legacy here in Houston of what he created, you know. And my grandmother now my great my my grandmother and my father's brother. She's in her mid eighties, you know. So I've always had that type of blessings actually to have family around, and you know it's like older family.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you mentioned your great grandfather, John Henry jack Yatates.
Speaker 3: Yeah that dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah what a legacy, what a claim? Yeah yeah, it's how proud are you of being you know, a part of that bloodline?
Speaker 3: You know. Honestly, growing up, I kind of shied from it. I didn't really you know, I attended Jacky's High school. You know, I know about my great grandfather, but I wanted to be cool. I didn't want anyone to be like, Okay, you know this is you know, this is school is name and yeah you know.
Speaker 1: It is my great grandfather school to do. I ain't going to I ain't coming to school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, to have that knowledge, right, It was just kind of like I don't want aboudy know, you know. And school was different than you know, like you're like, yeah, this school name after my great grandfather and.
Speaker 1: It's a trip. How we how we trivialize things that are mine and we we elevate these things that are really important, Like we shy away from things like things that we should be proud.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't tell me now like I tell everybody, even in in bios, you know that is that is a part of that is historic, not even for Houston, but just for me and my bloodline. The power, you know, and think about who you are as a person, like what makes you who you are? And I think about myself like being an entrepreneur, being an advocacy, you know, just how we connected just from talking about aggovacy, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: And and to be able to it's something that's rooted in me. It's actually something that's actually it's in my blood, like to create and to want to help others. And how connected I am to my culture as Black culture and my seeking of like where does all this energy come from? You know, like what makes you you? And then you have like this information to go back to. You know. It's like it's powerful, you know, and it's actually a great feeling, like a blessing. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I first saw, I think at first came across you on the Isaiah Factor Show and I was like, oh, she got something. She was talking about some type of social issue. I can't remember exactly what it was. The way you articulated yourself. I was like, oh, yeah, she shocked and you stood on it. It was something controversial. You wasn't dancing around.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh no, that's not me. I wasn't raised to be that way. And you know, I you know, to be able to talk about culture, black culture, there's no shyness about that. That's no change in my tone. There's no when I'm around a certain group, you know, being proud of who you are, you know, that's that's that's in my blood, you know, and you stand on it, you know, in any space. And so if it's something dealing with health care, if it's education, if it's something dealing with the financial systems, you know, advocacy is important. It's in me and I have That's what I feel connected to do you know, even with my travels around the world that I do. You know, this is all a part of a learning process, you know. And I don't know where it comes from, but I know.
Speaker 1: From your great grandparents, great great grand perhaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, just his story alone, you know, being a slave in Virginia, to be free and to come back to be with your wife in Texas and become a slave again, you know, to not only that, to kind of lead the way through the mascipation to build, teach your people how to build homes and with the importance of land and how to read and you know, to be a minister to minister to people. And this is how we create our own economic systems. We don't have to be a part of these systems that that we were given.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So this is a person that's been out of was a slave, out of slave, came back into slavery, the massurpation happened. Then create when it land where we have our own land. We don't want, we don't need to participate with you. We're going to create our own you know, these different struggles, you know, the fights that in order just to be yourself and so to know the legacy that not only my great grandfather, my great grandfather's children. We know what my grandmother has done with my five, with my family, just who we are. It's innately in us, you know. So to get on Isaiah Factor show, and I'm gonna say what I gotta say, because this is something that's like, you know, it's important to me, you know, and it's carrying information you know, So it is you know, and I'm a proud I'm definitely proud. Now I'm not saying I wasn't proud as I was immature. Then I didn't want to tell people, you know, this is my great grandfather, this is the school was after you know, I was like, I don't need to do that. You know, pretty modest, you know, but that's roalsy, you know, in your area.
Speaker 4: So Little Boys reloaded podcast right after spot.
Speaker 1: When you look at the racial climate in this country, yeah, there's a lot of division and there are a lot of people that are in high positions, especially politicians who are flaming the hire. Yeah, considering your your lineage, considering what we've been through historically, do you what's your concern level that slavery could actually happen again?
Speaker 3: Slavery is happening right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm talking about I'm talking about slavery. You know, they actually like actually having black folks in physical change, not the mental change, the change, but the physical change and you know everything that came with that.
Speaker 3: In certain parts of the world, that's happening still, right, we're just talking about America.
Speaker 1: Talking about right, I don't think I don't.
Speaker 3: Think that's going to happen, right. I think there's these systems around us, and I know you said about like physically happening. You know, I don't. I don't really think that's going to happen. I know, I'm not getting no chance. I don't. I don't see it. I mean, what do you think you think? I don't see?
Speaker 1: I can, I can, I can. I can't say what can and what will and won't happen, because some things are happening now that I never thought would happen.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, hell.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump became president. We wanted the dumb as motherfuckers in the United States of America, you know. But I can't. I don't know, you know, but I do know this. I'm killing everything. I'm not going to be a.
Speaker 3: Slave, you know.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to be a slave, especially knowing what I know, knowing what they did, that information, especially knowing that what I know, knowing that there is no get back, knowing that there is no mercy, knowing that there is no there is no there will be no conversations of rationalism.
Speaker 3: Though, absolutely it's not.
Speaker 1: I don't see no rationalizing, you know, Like, I'm not na man. I already know I'm man.
Speaker 3: I'm killing everything, walking everything, you know. I had a conversation with a friend about how do we get out of these systems? Right?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: How you know? Who are well? Who are we uninterrupted? As a culture? And when I say uninterrupted, meaning without the trauma, without your back, your record, and you know this, this poverty and all these things, who are we as a culture? Uninterrupted? We are royal buildings? I know who you are? Right, So it's you have to interrupt. You have to interrupt in order to shake it up, right I can't And so you I'm gonna interrupt you in education, I'm gonna interrupt you in the financial system. I have to interrupt you in so many places because the moment you're uninterrupted, you train, your energy transcends. You're a whole nother you are Who are you? You know what I mean? In my mind I heard something like that. I was like, who is Jasmine uninterrupted? You know, if I'm not worried about bills, I'm not worried about walking around, if the police is this, and what? Who am I? Uninterrupted? And that's from now on, That's how I see myself. I'm uninterrupted, you know, as a culture. So when we look on the news and you see prime example, you know the guy that raised two million dollars you know, for now and the GoFundMe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ain't worth for d penny.
Speaker 3: So so you know what does that look like? Right? And the media would show the music. We're so interrupted in so many ways, right, the things that we're listening to, the foods that we eat. It's a it's a part of a system. Right, How do we get uninterrupted as a culture? And I hate to say it, the only I don't know other way but to fight, to be honest, And my friends like fighting, you know, and we love and you know, I I love Martin Luther King that that was a he's a great man. But I also unders sand with Malcolm X felt right as a culture and I just feel that, you know, we're gonna have to fight. It's going to be a point where sorry, it's a point where you know, I'm uninterrupted period, And so by any means, in any way necessary, I will not be interrupted. I don't want to hear so even listening to news and sometimes with social media and all these different things, right, that's interrupted. That's interrupting, like your mind to think, you know what I mean, the foods we're eating, it's interrupting our systems. The healthcare, all of that, you know what I mean. So if I can be in a place as simple as being uninterrupted, you can't stop me. You can't stop nothing. It's nothing that you can do to do that. And so as a people, if we can figure out ways how we are uninterrupted, meaning if it starts with the children and education, we're teaching our own right, if it goes into building our own hospitals, creating our own willness cities, you know, creating our own military, because we will be uninterrupted because everybody has their hands on our culture, everybody, you know. So for me, back to what you're saying about slavery, I don't see it going that far, as far as chains and all of that. I think as a people and at this point in time in life, that we have a conscious that it's awakening, that is beyond just what we see right, and it's happening. So therefore, the world is shifting, the earth is purging, it's you know, I'm into nature. I mean, I don't know if you know that really, but so for me, the mountains, so for me, you.
Speaker 1: Know, walking down walking on the beach in Morocco.
Speaker 3: So for me, you know, that's a lifestyle that comes with lifestyle, and that's something that you teach others, you know what I mean, looking in different directions, you know. So I don't don't see that happening. It's putting us into being slaves and all of that, you know. And I don't think every other culture is bad, but I am focused on my culture and my goal is to help us be in you know, uninterrupted period, you know, the mind and to do that. And so with that, I don't see it happening.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That's your ministry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's my ministry.
Speaker 1: That's your ministry. Your ministry is helping people service. Yeah, that's your ministry because even when you do it with your event center, your event center is not just you know, fuck you pay me, it's it's yo. We're going to provide a superiod experience, absolutely, you know, and we're going to create a beautiful space for you to come. It's going to be it's going to be a warm and welcoming space and you're going to feel it. You're going to feel that personal touch. I mean I felt it myself, and I.
Speaker 3: You know, the reason for me opening Lace Chateau. And of course all of this is energy for me, everything is energy. So it was to create a safe space for creatives, right I complain, an't nowhere to go in Houston. At some points it was like the clubs, it was like, you're gonna tell me what I can We're I see you profiling by the clothes or you know, just certain things. I want a space where we can be safe and connect, grow and learn. So it's not just opening a bar, you know, lay Chatau. Houston for me is a space where we can be safe and also connect. So we can have greade eats, we can have music where creatives from all of the world. Because Houston being such a big city, there's not like a place a platform where indie artists just really come in. You have like your warehouse lives, and you have like these other places, but there's no hub of like this is where talent is made, you know. So I wanted to be able to participate in creating that rhythm in Houston. And it doesn't have to be just a club and your normal live music shows. But there's so many forms of art that you that I want La Chautaud to be able to display, you know, So from theatrical art to musicians to dancers, you know, singers like all of that into the space and even art of networking with other people. How do you get into a room and connect. A lot of times we want to I want to go talk to really th man, I want to, you know, how do you do that? How do you when you have that opportunity, how do you connect? You know? So it's really like a like you said, I guess a teaching space right to having a safe space for culture, and then you also having these different you know, different places I visit around the world. I was like, I gotta I want to bring it back to Houston, and if you didn't go with me, I want you to be able to see through my eyes what I saw. And so whether it's in other countries and we come back in these different performers of sounds and music to place it into the space. That's what Lai's Chateau is about, you know, to create whatever you want. You know. So what I initially opened, that's the plan I closed during COVID and then from there I reopened. And I'm like, you know, the bar industry is a lot. You know, it was a lot on me, and I don't know how I maintained for three years kind of solo. This is I've never owned a bar before, never worked in the bar, but I was like, okay, I have this vision, and everything just happened. You know, even the guys would earn your leisure.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I created one programming of lais Chateau, which is the office, which actually today there is an event, a networking event to just kind of connect with people professionals and entrepreneurs in Houston and really engaging, going how do we you know when you're in the room, this is not just looking at each other, really get to know somebody, not just being around the people that you're close to, actually getting in and connect. So I was able to reach out. They reached out to me, Actually, hey, we like what you're doing in Houston. We want to come down and to see where they started from with this financial literacy, even him and shout out to my guy Wall Street Trap as well, that talking about the market, the stock market with nineteen keys like all of them. Well, Wall Street Trap met earned your leisure in my space and to see where they were then and where they are now. And we all are cool in these relationships, you know what I mean. Lace Shatau is a place that you were able to connect and to see that and then to have them come out and then to not just them, just different people, musicians and artists. So you know, for me as a visionary, I just want to create rooms and spaces and energy where things evolved, you know, so instead of having a bar, now it's a creative space. You know. So you bring your creativity and we hope you make it happen, you know, and it's all about you know. When I open Lace Chateau, then I had a lady because I'm in sophomore SANDERSONO, so I'm in the museum district. It's their reward. I had a lady, a white lady. Her name is Karen. Also. Karen came in and said, oh, you're opening up a jazz bar. And I was like, yeah, I'm excited to tell her. And you know, she came in as if she wanted to help me with the you know, I want to. I want to help you, you know, I want to. I want to. I want you to be successful. Now, she don't know that my great grandfather helped cultivate this whole area where you living with your husband. That's not too far from a massipation. My grandfather created that space, right. But she doesn't know me. So she's coming in and she's like, well, you know, I want you to be successful in this area. And the food is great, the music is great, but I think the artwork in here, I think you should make it about everybody. I think you should make this space not just about Black culture. It should be about Asian culture. It should be about all these different cultures. You know, it should be about every you know, because that's the way the world is. And I let her talk, and I was so thankful that I handled her with grace, because who are you to come into my business and tell me how I should make space for everybody. Did you go to Papito's and you see all of these pictures of these other cultures on the wall, and they have no black people. Did you tell them you should make this about black people too. I said, that's the problem. I should be able to be proud and you should be of my culture and the legacy of Arika Franklin and Ray Charles and mal Davis, and you should be in here, be excited to see this experience because this is a part of my culture. It's not because it's only for black people. She said, Well, when you have things like that, it makes it seem like only black people are welcome. I said, you're the only one feeling and uncomfortable. Why making what my culture is doing and me promoting and wanting a safe space for my people, you feel uncomfortable and for you to have the balls to come into my business and smile at me and to tell me be black, but just don't be too black. Make it black. This is this area is for everybody. You know, there's black people here, there's Asian people here, even more reasons where you should be want to welcome and understand my culture and understand the legacy. It's more than just music. You comeing to eat our food and our great like understand this, come in and connect with people. And I think her husband was from Brooklyn, and so he was you know, he was really nice, but he could feel like he was like, I think you were out of line. The next day, the opening she sends like a flood of flowers. She said, she said, you are so highly aware and with the way that you handle me with care. In that moment, I had no idea what I was doing, Like for me to come in to tell you don't make your space about your culture is insensitive. And I didn't even realize this because I mean, I have black friends. That was one you know, I have. I've traveled around the world, and the way that you broke it down to me, I didn't even realize that was me and my form of not being able to connect. And so even with that, you know, leys Chateau, it was just her. They always came after that, you know, and I forced her to connect with other people. This is what life is about. It's about connecting, you know, Like you can't come in my business and help me to be black. WI just don't be too black because you make me uncomfortable with your blackness.
Speaker 4: The boys revoting podcasts will be right back after sport.
Speaker 1: Imagine going to a Mexican restaurant and being offended that there's only Mexicans on the wall. The people who started the restaurant, you know, like these are the people who started the generations of people who started the restaurants where yeah, I think you should add more diversity here because to make me comfortable, make me comfortable. But that but they only do that to us. That's that they only I know that for a fact, they only do that when a black person owns a restaurant something. And like now you put whoever you want to put on the walls, if you if a person likes the product or services, they they patronize the business or they don't. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It's like my music. I make my music for the people and if you get it, cool, If you don't, that's cool too. But I am not about to acquiesque to your style, to your preference to make you feel comfortable. Fuck you straight up, right straight up like uh, and I'm unapologetic about that. You know. Why why do we have to change who we are? You know? I mean, but you know it's like you like our talents, like what we do, but then you want to take it and then you want to make it the way you want to make it, and so that you can be comfortable with it.
Speaker 3: Like I said, you want to interrupt it.
Speaker 1: You want to interrupt it, right, and.
Speaker 3: So you don't leave us uninterrupted. You want to interrupt in any form because I want you no, no, no, no, it can't be too good, you know. And I think and to go back to your point, what you just said about here in America. It's a mentality. So as a person that has traveled in different places around the world, I didn't realize with this whitewash mentality that I've had, right that when I went to other places, when I went to France, went to Paris, I'm so used to America has programmed us that we are the center of the world and we're not. We are behind, right, but we are so great, like a concept about branding and marketing, right that we go around, Oh, I'm American, you know, the dollar is American. What is the dollar tied to? You know what I mean? Like all of this to not until I went to China, not until I went to Europe and I'm seeing like, you know, I'm American, you know, I go there and I think you don't speak English, like we have been programmed honestly, so not only are we as black people, right and just thinking as humans, I mean just a culture of people. We're American also, And when I've gone to other places, like this is not in English, you know, everything is English and French English, Like we have this type of supremacy around the world to being like these this is it and we're not, and I had someone tell me in China when I was in it was a program which seen what Africa and China's doing in Africa. That's the whole thing. I seen that back in twenty fourteen. But maybe you are in another country. I know America were popular with the entertainment and you know we have this. That was the first time a slap in face. I was like, we are behind. I am behind right, Like the kids here are making the games that my children will play. They're creating the technology that I will use. What are we doing? I went there. My friends were like, oh, see if you can get us some hair, will you connect or some boutiques, some clothes And I'm like, yeah, girl, I got you. I'm in China. I'm gonna be here for a while. Not until I joined the Africa to Business Council that Asian a Chinese girl asked me to join that I realized the conversations were different, and I was quiet because I'm not Africa. I'm not from Africa, but there was people from Nigeria and other places in Africa. They were brokering deals and China, the government in twenty fourteen was creating this Chinese to Africa Business Council, which I have photos to show where you know, and still a part of this group. We want to do business in Africa. And so while I'm looking that of how can I get to connect on some clothes to start a boutique, and some hair, maybe some makeup, and you know these smaller things, these are people my age brokering big world deals, meaning creating room for tomato paste companies, rice farms, you know. And I'm like, oh my god, this is like on a bigger scale. You know, I'm behind. I'm thinking I'm American and you know all of these no, I'm behind, you are we are. America is a small part of what the world is. And we made this Donald Trump mentality to be like this this thing that we are not, we are falling. I saw this in twenty fourteen. I'm like, my god, this is where we are on a scale of what the world. The conversations are happening around the world, so right now to where we understand where the dollar is. And I saw this in twenty fourteen and to see how China has created these alliances around the world. They're in Africa and I'm brokering deals because they think I'm from Nigeria. I didn't say I wasn't. I just you know, I'm trying to understand what's going on and to see this and I'm like, my gosh, I am really behind. I'm worried about weave. My friend want to start a makeup line and a boutique, you know, And these are real life, these are global impacts around the world, you know. So as a culture and I say, as an American, so not only being black, but then you have to get outside of the world and we've been programmed to think, oh, we big, we big shit.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, sometimes they do behaveing on us though, because I was I lived in Paris for I lived in Paris for they do. And I remember going into the grocery stool once, yeah, and I asked for, uh, a shaver, you know, a razor, yeah, and it's like a shave, right. So I'm asking about the razors and it's like maybe like it's like six cash registers, about three cashiers and they're all women and so and they got people standing in the line and I'm asking about the razors and she's like she's talking to me like that, like like really like talking down on me like, huh what And she's frowning up. Why she asked, and I'm I'm I'm the tourists, but I'm in the tourists area. I'm in a tourist. I know that they want us to try to speak French. I got that they want us to make an effort to speak French. But I ain't got time to be making the damn efforts to speak French. Man. I got stuff to do. I'm not here trying to vacate. I'm trying to I'm trying to kill man. So the woman was like, what say you, And so the other lady h she She's looking at the other lady, and I see them laughing about it, right, So I said, do you have any razors, bitch? And the other one like, oh, they're right there, like ma, you know, like that. But you know, excuse my French apartment of vernacular. But I ain't usually like that with women, you know. But I mean, she just she tried to make and she was insulting me, you know. And but you know what another thing was feeling that at all.
Speaker 3: Not until an understanding, like and she was don't get me wrong, they can't be people of the culture to be rude. The reason why as Americans as a totality, not just you and what you mean, when we go places, we think we are the ship. Yeah, we think we are the ship. You go to you're in another country, you go to Mexico. We have had this mentality of you know, I'm better than you.
Speaker 1: I'm American collectively because because I've never been that.
Speaker 3: Way, so right, and so many people like, eh, your food, like what is this? You know, because we have been pro that we are the center of the world and we're not. We're behind education, our health is bad, you know what I mean. Our dollar is crappy, and we we it's bullshit. Not even just Europe. You go to Mexico. We feel as though we're better than other people, you know what I mean. It's a mentality.
Speaker 1: Families have been decimated.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen, and so and I'll say this and I you know, my experience, Like for me, I'm going to Ghana. So I went to Ghana January. I plan on in June to be there all the way through December. I'll come back and forth. But I want to plant my roots in Africa. Right, And I'll say this, it's not the thing of you know, I'm black and I'm you know, I want to go back to Africa because that's a whole other topic of we're not the same people as far as because we're Black African, it's completely we're different. We're the same of same genes, right, but we're different. And me being in Africa and to not just Africa, but places I've been right to go to places when you see people that look like you, right, and you know in America, we have always been in this capitalist kind of mentality, right, money, money, money, you know, it's a pressure. But yeah, there's places where they're poor. You know, they don't have but we have a poverty, but they have something way more powerful, which is community.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: If somebody's out there selling chickens and eggs, it's such a it's such a community based culture that is beautiful to me. You know, we can come here and yeah, money and all this we're so disconnected on who we are and the things and the soil is bad. You know, so my experience and being there and you're welcoming another feeling. You know, I went to Nigeria and Nigeria was cool. You know. I had some instance with some of my friends I went to college with, you know, because I didn't feel even though I love the culture of the African Nigerian culture, to learn about it and I thought like, oh, you know, my ancestry say, I'm forty percent Nigerian, so you know, I'm like, I didn't feel connected. But they and again I am a spiritual person. It's it's what felt calm to my spirit. I felt like I just didn't think that these are my people. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I love did they make you feel welcome?
Speaker 3: Very welcome? Even the people here, my Nigerian friends that are here barrier. It's not even the language barrier. I honestly, I lived in so much afrobeats and I've talked to so many people in Houston. Houston alone has a lot of Nigerians and people culture. I love the food. I just thought I did not feel like home to me. When I went to Ghana when I was seven years old, I was a turning elementary. Bush created HIZ created program the Multicultural Program, and it was a turner elementary where you could pick Europe, Africa, China and all these other countries that your study was in and the mine was mine was France and mine was Africa, and the focus in Africa was Ghana. And so I met the president Jerry Rawlins. It's a picture of me seven years old. I met him. They had me and this can take clothing. And I remember asking him a question why are Africans poor? Like why are everybody poor? And he just looked at me. He looked at me and said, Africa's not poor. Baby. He said it's not poor. And he explained, there's so many because I had no idea when I thought of Africa. We looked on the television. It was flies, kids, big bellies, you know, like, oh they're poor. He said, it's not poor, you know. And he was telling me the food is so we had these tastings of like different types of food. That was my first exposure.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So here I am at thirty six years old. Well, I went to Africa at thirty five, but at thirty six I was in Ghana and to be able to connect as soon as immediate. When I was in Nigeria, Nigeria felt like everybody's chasing money. That's what the feeling. It's a beautiful place, don't get me wrong, but I'm energy right and I felt like this is beautiful as fun.
Speaker 1: And I'm going back on the cities in America.
Speaker 3: It was just like the energy was just it was money, like everything was like about money. But the minute I landed in Ghana, it's a feeling of it was like you know, it was a feeling of just peace, a feeling of peace, like seriously, and it wasn't because and I was like, all right, maybe it's my psych of like I have always wanted to go to Ghana, so I'm gonna look at it different, the air, the different, it's a different feeling, right, It's not it's different. It's different. Men to go somewhere and you see money with people, the faces that look like you right to go to the museum and this is their history. Not all it's not as beautiful or you know, as as big buildings as the States, but it's a quality that you can't get here. It's a feeling of like, man, this is peaceful, right, like this is this is to me what life feels like. And I feel like I've experienced some highs and being around but these people, it's in community, rooted in community, you know, and you know you have these markets and people are exchanging foods and you know it's not as it's not as wealthy in some areas, right, but that is up to have peace and to have happiness. That is something that that money you and to arrive back in America and you feel it's like automatics. Soon as you got to the plan, you feel pressure, anxiety. Everybody's like it's this, it's this thing, like I got the money. Oh you know, it's this, it's the news. It's it's so much pressure. But to be able to go a place that you just feel like, oh my god, this is peaceful.
Speaker 1: And I'm assuming that it's the same way when you walk into a store. You you feel like you feel that the person is grateful that you're there and not that you feel some type of burden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a welcoming it's a welcoming feeling. It's a welcoming feeling that you feel. And also let's get to the food that is live soil. The soil here is dead. You know, when I was in Israel back manufactured listen, food, it's dead. The food here is not food. When I was in Israel back in twenty I think it was like two thousand and eight, I was in Galileabo. I went to Tel Aviv. I never taste fruit before, like I love fruit, but it was tastes and I see why they're fighting over the soil. It was a whole nother taste. The food was different, the food in Ghana. It is different. The tastes like I'm telling you, it tastes. It was great immediately what you think a great strawberry tastes like and you have it in another place, You're like, man, this is dead. Even your stomach right. You know, your gut is really like the mouth of your soul. So if your gut is the mouth of your soul, what you put it in replenish the body. If we're putting in fake foods and eating dead corpse and all this craziness, our minds were interrupted. We're interrupted within our minds. But to be able to eat vibration, high level, like vibrating foods, like it feels different. You're not tired. You know you're not big because and I eat, I'm greedy.
Speaker 1: Are you vegan?
Speaker 3: I'm not vegan, but I think I eventually kind of pescatarian. The scents and sometimes I don't eat pork, I don't eat any port, but you know, I still have these slips. I love chicken, even chicken. Listen, I don't eat chicken. I try not to eat chicken here in the States. I'm telling you, And that's mark my word. Jasmin Terry said that chicken, the antibodies, the things that are in these chickens really mess with your brain. I love Pope's it hands down't care how much money I have in the world. You eat it, your mind is messed up gold Like, really do with a cleanse and go eat something that's like that, like the chicken. It throws your mind off. So if you have some imbalances, hormonal imbalance, mental balance, depression, anger, the foods we put in our body really affects that.
Speaker 1: So you still eat pop No, man, you cut it all the way out.
Speaker 3: I cut it out when it's been a while, and I'll try it and every now and then I'll be like, oh, let me my mind. I'm telling you, like your mind is clear.
Speaker 1: Like, how long has it been since you've eating Popeyes?
Speaker 3: Man, it's been like a few years, because you know.
Speaker 1: Me, I bust left in the papies quick.
Speaker 3: Really. I love listen. I love Popeyes, I listen, but the hormones and the stuff in that chicken and in that food, and you go somewhere else and you eat and you still feel different. The chicken sizes aren't the same. The wings we have here, these big chicken breasts. And then you see what the chicken because I'm like, this is chicken, this is fish. Yeah, but it's it's uninterrupted me, right, you know what I mean? Like nothing, this is you know, this is food, your stomach, your your time to go to the party is. It's a different experience and it's the body. So that's why the plan is, we can't get y'all want to come over here to Africa. The minute you are, we have to interrupt you to not want to be in these places because the minute you go to these places, what's happening. The best thing the government did and gone in twenty eighteen was do the return of homecoming. As amazing as Nigeria is, Ghana is the right Black Americans are. I mean homes there are people by laying are like crazy. If you see how fast is going to the market is up and down, but it's going really fast, and you have that experience and then you think I'm going to come back here and listen to this absolutely, so moving to go. I do want to I do want to live family behind. So this is the thing. I want to be able to have experiences in other places. Right I do. But like I said early on about not feeling like that's home, you know, I believe we are in the indigenous people of America. We are the indigenous people. I do believe that the Moors were already here and they these that's our family, like black people were already here in America. I don't believe though, because I'm black, I'm from Ghana, and I'm from Nigeria, and I'm from these other places. I do believe that we are indigenous people of America and it is very important for us to get our land here by any means.
Speaker 1: So do you believe, So you don't believe that Africa is the cradle of civilization, then I but know, I do believe all civilization started.
Speaker 3: All civilization does start in Africa. I do believe that. But even when I was in Ghana and I went to and I've toured Cape Coast, the Door of No Return, that's where the last place the Africans were, and they shipped them to the States they shipped them to Jamas, the Caribbean areas all over. I'm just saying that I believe black we were already here and I know what I feel like, and whether people believe it or not, this is our land. We were already here. The story of Africa just try all these slaves, millions of slaves. It just came through America. Brown black people were here. Their mores were traveling all over the world before the slaves, before this even happened. So you're telling me my great great grandparents people were Black people were already here, right, And the idea wasn't that the Europeans the ones that said, hey, let's make black people. You know, slavery was a former technology where it's wrong, right. What they did to us in America is like the worst, right, But it was a former technology. The Middle Easterns came with were some of the ones that influenced the Africans to rally up the black people to ship them off in this slave trade. Because we were able to stay outside. White people were coming. They had white slaves too that came into Africa because they wanted to take and the they were dying, they were dying. They couldn't survive there the heat. You know, their bodies were not a lot of the Middle Easterns that were in Africa, right, you need to get more black people. And yes, Africans were. They were selling off other Africans for trade for money, right. But my point, what I'm saying is that in America, black people were here already, not Christopher Columbus. And I'm not just saying the Native Americans. Those are still a part of indigenous people. There are indigenous Black people here that were already here. They needed more in order to do what they were doing, you know, So does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Like I just feel like where were You're seeing something that I that I have knowledge of already. I just wanted to hear.
Speaker 3: You said, yeah, I think we were already here. Honestly, I don't think that, and I don't think that we're the same people. I think what they're doing right now in these forms, they're trying to turn us against each other. And the job rolls in Black Americans and Africans. So because right now, you think about in music, think about what's happening right now, think about in jobs like even with Black Panther, these movies, right you just think about what's going on in this moment. It's to steal, to keep black people at a lower level, yes, perpetuate the lit and to turn instead of us bridging the gap between Black Americans and Africans. Oh no, no, no, we got to turn, y'all. Y'all are better than them. Think about what's happening when there's job rolls and in healthcare, and yes, a lot of African people are more well, often edgy that we are the opportunities here in America as black people. When you think about, they're turning us against each other. Even with this music situation right now, of course we connect with music. Oh I want to go to Africa. Oh, afrobeats and all this. Think about how fast this is going right and where is black people at this moment, even with this whole immigration thing that's happening with what is it Florida about the immigrants that can't work, You can't be with your families and all of that. I mean, because I'm for my people, this is the perfect time for black men that need jobs and need, you know, to have different trades. Go get those jobs, Go get your land. That's what other people are doing when they come here. You know, why why are we like, oh, I'm not gonna do that. I'm not cleaning up toilets. I'm not gonna go build. I don't want to do those jobs. This is the time for us to wake up and to focus and go get those jobs. I'm not knocking any immigrants. I'm not saying about the my Mexican friends or not, but I am about my people at this point. Go get those jobs up, you know, go get its time, like in order to have the revenue and some power, because that's what's happening in other cultures. We're still asking people to help us, help me, help me, help me, serve me. We're so in this slave mentality, like you said, and those people will be in change. Possibly that would be the case, because we're so like, tell me what to do. These people from Mexico coming here, they're not teaming tell me what to do. They coming in here, like we gonna live together in this house together, we're gonna build, we're making money, then we're gonna own the small company. Then we're gonna eventually create the consulting company and you work from there. And we're still asking. So I just said, it's a deference in everybody's against us, you know, as black people at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta know that, we gotta know that we on own. We all we got Let's talk about let's talk about leukemia and lymphoma. Both of both leukemia and lafhoma are a blood cancers. But what's the primary difference between the two.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I would have to have somebody I'm still learning about what's the big difference to be honest, I I don't want to give a medical to say exactly what it is. My only focus with leukemia. It is a blood disease and there's so many different levels of it, and I honestly, I can't say exactly what the difference is. And I'm still learning.
Speaker 1: Forms of it. And you know it it uh, it attacks the body at different stages.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's good that you're that you're doing it. I mean, it's a worthy cause. It's good to see you involved in that. I did want to ask you this about your your tranquil persona. Yeah, yeah, tranquil persona.
Speaker 3: You know, my friends, my friends always say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, like you you you have like a persona where it's like like you know, an unbothered persona.
Speaker 1: It's like you're unbothered, and it's hard to find that these days. Everybody's so angry. Everybody is very angry. But you have this, this persona. But you alluded to it a little earlier about the club business. The club business is a very brutal business. I used to own a bunch of clubs, and so it's a very very brutal business. And to see you in the bar business. You're in the bar.
Speaker 3: Business and skincare business too, yea.
Speaker 1: But but but I want to talk about I want you. I want to mention the skincare business, but I want to talk about the bar business, particularly in particular, that is a very brutal business. How do you maintain your sanity in a business like this?
Speaker 3: So when I first arted, I died the first year. I know what. I knew nothing about the bar business. You know, I had to figure out how it was going to protect myself from people from stilling. Oh man, these bartenders are cold. I mean I had people they're counting, they count ways, you know, to count the liquor, and then you know the money and their friends are taking money. Like it was so much to learn in a year. But I did it. I did it, and then when I tell you, it made me so sharp, like as far as now I can go in and identify. That's the whole reason. Now I don't want to have like a full offering. You need a really really good team, you know. So I have to understand what's my strengths. I like to create, you know what I mean. And the bar was just the small part of it. And I was just like learning as I go. But the first year I died, I mean, seeing people steal, people complaining fraudulent money, you know, people that it was hurtful to me because I'm like, man, you're not see that I'm doing this for us. Why would you come in here and try to give me counterfeit money?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm literally getting into it with guys like really, like you know, what is this? You know? So it was a it broke me down. But in that breakdown, I was so strong. Oh my god, I honestly, and I mean just working in and banking in general when it come to count money, like I could count money with my eyes closed, you know, and all of that, but to actually know and to have a system, I did it, you know, and I don't know. I just knew that was a way of getting people to connect socially. We like to drink in Texas, and I wanted to get people in the room. You know. I had a therapist asked me that. She asked me what my mom did and what my father did. And because at the time I was like thirty when I opened the bar in third Ward, rent about twelve thousand dollars a month for this huge space right there on Sophomore Center. Just saying, now, it was a big house. It's a pink house, that's what's called. It was called chateau like back in the day, but it has been the other names. But it was a huge like mansion the state that was a bar right there on that corner. I just went for it. I think in my mind, I think I'm unstoppable, to be honest, and I know that I feel like I have this magic, which I call it my magic, that if I think of something, everything else is gonna connect with it. I mean, I know how I'm gonna pull it off or what I'm gonna do, but I know that my mind, if I think of something is gonna happen, and then everything else just kind of codes along with it, and it connects the dots. I had never owned a bar before. I didn't even know how to make drinks, to be honest, So I'll just and then I called, uh, one of these I ain't gonna say his name, but you know, in a male dominant industry, these promoters and all these guys with these bars, like, hey, can you help me? I want to learn how to you know, how do I get a look at license? Oh? Man, you can't get a look at like you need attorney to get a liquor license. You need all of this. And then it was like nobody wanted to really help me. You won't come just promoting in my space. You know, you can come in when I say that, even the people that I thought we were cool, that these promoters and you know, and you know, I'm on the corner of Sophomore just Santa Cino at the time, and so this almeta, you got fifty fifteen, you got a turkey leg hut, you got all these places. And I'm like, man, y'all, I want to learn. Can you see nobody? All right, I'm gonna do it. So I didn't get attorney, get a local license. I didn't even have all the stuff to uh open the bar. I literally had to learn, like literally just kind of learn what do I need the permits? You know what is this? And I had one guy who had a prominent live music venue who was calling the City of Houston on me because he didn't understand how I got the building that I got and how it passed all the codes. White guy here in Houston been making money off he was making money off of.
Speaker 1: Man, Let's put him out there, let's exposure. Come on, Jed, give me the name, do the rest.
Speaker 3: You know, I ain't gonna put him out there like that, man, but I will say that I even went to him and was like, hey, you know, I want to open a lot of music video You know you had this place for a while ago and musicians and stuff. Can you you know your bar is closed? You know, Oh, you ain't gonna be able to get that building. That's hard, That's that's just too much. You're you're not going to make it a year there, And I did. I made it three plus years, and then the pandemic came until I closed.
Speaker 1: And now you're back at it again, and you're.
Speaker 3: Going again and again. We're gonna run it in. You know what I'm saying, I'm backing better downtown right across from the Toyota Center.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, great, great location. Thank you from great hospitality, great service. I attested that how do somebody get in touch with you if they want to reach.
Speaker 3: Out, So they go to the website which is Blaschateau Houston dot com, where they can locate when we have events, if they want to book the venue, they can also email us at info at Blayschateau Houston dot com as well. Yeah, Jasmine, Terry ya, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: This episode was produced by a King and brought to you by
Speaker 1: The Black Effect Podcast Network at iHeartRadio