Speaker 1: With Robinhood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs, trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood.
Speaker 2: Trading Crypto involved significant risk. Crypto trading is offered through an account the robin h Hood Crypto LC. Robin Hunt Crypto is licensed to engagement virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services. Crypto Health thro robin Hunt Cryptos not FDFC insured or SIPC PROTECTIC Confesting involves risk, including loss of principle Securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back, Earn your Lisia. This is a very highly requested episode, special episode for a few different reasons, so.
Speaker 4: We're looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, one thing is that we're not your typical business podcast. We cover everything. We cover a lot of things that deal with pop culture that your typical business podcast don't don't talk about. And one thing, I mean, we can't talk about pop culture without talking about the sneaker culture. Sneaker culture is it's actually a billion dollar industry. Two billion dollar industry they said, within the next ten years is going to be a six billion dollar industry. And you know, it's just crazy to see sneakers become actual commodities and a lot of it's like assets, Like people are trading sneakers, buhying sneakers holding up.
Speaker 4: That's how people should look at them. They're some of them.
Speaker 6: I mean, they're wearable, but they all commodities in a sense, right, because the value goes up and down depending on the rarity of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, when we do episodes, we try to get experts in the field to talk about these different subject matters, and so we knew he's all right, We're going to do a sneaker episode on sneakers for all the sneakerheads out there, sneaker collectives, and you know, I was thinking, like who could we bring on? And then I'm like, you know what, I actually know one of the leaders in the field when it comes to to the whole sneaker culture.
Speaker 7: And it's crazy. It's crazy how life works.
Speaker 3: So I knew him for years that we actually went to high school together and went to prep school together, and Winshington Weinhington, Massachusetts, the winch So it's crazy, like we always talk about networking and the power networking and you never know. So me and Mike went to high school together. He's probably like seventeen, eighteen years old, and we was both from New York at the time, and we went to this this little well, it wasn't it was little as far as the amount of students that was there, but it was a nationally ranked program, like one of the top prep schools in the country at that time, and all these D one players. Shout out to Francisco Garcia, shout out to Curtis Stintson.
Speaker 7: Oh, shout out to who else was there? My man from Australia, Mike, what.
Speaker 5: Was we have? Martin Ed, Martin Edi to Mario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it was like it was like twelve high level D one players and so it was crazy. So me, like, you know, coming from just a regular public school Westchester, Like you know what I'm saying, I definitely hadn't played on that level of competition before.
Speaker 7: Like it was crazy for me to even be in that environment.
Speaker 3: And I made friends with pretty much everybody, but a few of the guys was like really, really, I became close with and my man. Mike was one of my closest friends up there when I was in prep school. We always worked out. He had a tremendous work ethic. He always was shooting jump shots all the time. We used to go to the gym at like four o'clock in the morning, two o'clock in the morning, me and Andrew. We actually did Andrews podcast to shout out to Drew. So, you know, a few years after, you know, we leave and we all go our separate ways in life. And probably like six or seven years ago, before I even got on social media or anything like that, I'm thinking about this is the first time I'm really having about YouTube, like how you can make money on YouTube. I didn't really know about nothing like that. So I'm just on YouTube and I forgot how I got turned on to the situation. But I realized that Mike had developed an alter ego called mister Phomer Simpson.
Speaker 4: It's crazy because I said, Yo, I know this guy. I was watching this guy that you told me you knew.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, you know this dude followed him. I'm passionate about.
Speaker 3: This, and then he had like at that time he had like one hundred two hundred thousand subscribers years ago, way before YouTube was really a wave. Like he was early on YouTube and I'm like, oh, he's doing his thing, and he was like making these videos about sneakers, and I still like, yo, why is he doing sneaker reviews? Like you know what I'm saying, Like I didn't really understand because I'm still not really a sneaker, had choice of sneaker at god hard. But then as the years went on, I realized how big of an industry sneakers were, and then I realized how big of a brand he has. So yes, today he has five hundred and thirty eight YouTube subscribers, one hundred and forty thousand followers on Instagram, And like I said, I mean, if you're in a sneaker culture, you mentioned his name, they know who he is. So it was fitting that, like I told him, I haven't we haven't actually had a conversation in probably over ten years, Like we ain't speak. I haven't seen him face to face in a long time. And now we have one of the top business podcasts in the world. He's one of the top sneaker influences in the world. And yeah, humble beginnings from a little pre school in Massachusetts. So, first and foremost, Mike Man, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, Man, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: I'm really excited. You know.
Speaker 8: I've been following what you guys have been doing and love everything that you're doing.
Speaker 5: So it's an honor to be here man.
Speaker 7: So yeah, for sure. So all right, let's get in.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it before we're gonna talk about the sneaker culture and business.
Speaker 7: At what point because I didn't know you was a sneakerhead like that in school.
Speaker 3: I know you had sneakers, but at one point, because like I said, you're early on and kind of like really on the cutting edge of like bringing a sneaker culture to YouTube and the web and all that, how did this develop into actually you building an online community a business like but that just like happened by accident. Like what was the point where you say, you know what, this is more than just me liking sneakers, I'm an build a community.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it kind of did happen on an accident a little bit.
Speaker 8: So growing up, like I didn't say, oh, hey I'm a I'm a sneakerhead. I'm just I'm from New York City, and sneakers are part of the culture. You know, even at that prep school, right like when we had to wear, you know, a tie and a blazer, like we still tried to get a little fresh sometimes, you know. So I just grew up, you know, loving sneakers and wearing sneakers and being hoopers before anything else, I think, growing up and you know Penny Hardaway and loving his sneakers, and you know Iverson and loving his sneakers, and so it was kind of just organic as far as that goes. I was. It was hoop over everything for me. And so I had played overseas a little bit for a few seasons, and I actually had knee surgery and so I was just laid up.
Speaker 5: I was just at the crib and my brother was as well.
Speaker 8: We were living together. We both had knee surgery. Just kind of the way it went. And I wasn't a YouTube guy at all. I didn't watch YouTube, and I forget what I was looking for on the internet or on YouTube, but I saw a sneaker video pop up, and I was like, wow, people kind of your reaction, like you said, when you saw what I was doing. I saw someone reviewing a sneaker and I was like, a sneaker. And then I'm looking to my left and I got a whole closet, a whole wall full of sneakers.
Speaker 5: I'm like, yo.
Speaker 8: So I told my brother. I was like, Yo, let's mess around. Let's make a couple of videos. We had nothing but time on our hands at that time, and we weren't looking at it like it was going to be a career. We weren't looking at it necessarily with an agenda or even goals in mind.
Speaker 5: We kind of were just passing the time.
Speaker 8: And it was more and so like a hobby thing, and I think a combination of a couple of different factors. It just started to pick up and pick up and pick up, and then we were like, wow, like maybe we got something here. And so then we started branching off a little bit and and and monetizing and looking at it from the business side of things too, and uh, and now we're here, So, you know, feel very fortunate to be able to work and make money with something that I kind of grew up on.
Speaker 5: But yes, it's been dope, man.
Speaker 6: Which like factor you said, there was some factors which factor contributed to the launch.
Speaker 4: Was it like a shoot that you had it was the rarity of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, I think the timing of it where we got into it at a certain time, Like YouTube had it had been around, and this was like seven years ago, so it had been a thing, but sneakers on YouTube were still it was still in its infancy, you know, like it wasn't it wasn't polished up.
Speaker 5: It was mostly like you know, running gun.
Speaker 8: Dude shooting on webcams or on their laptops and sitting in a bedroom and it wasn't really polished and so and we were far from polished too when we first started. But so I think the timing of it worked out well for us. I think the fact that I had and have my brother. You know, the channel is mister former Simpson, but it's it's a two man thing, so having him and having a teammate to kind of rock with, and and then the fact that yet early on we did what we had to do to get the stuff that people wanted to see, you know, the really really limited stuff, the really really hyped up stuff, And so I think those were something. And then the fact that my brother and I both just our personalities and the way we work, and I think it's something that's carried over from basketball.
Speaker 5: I just I don't really know how to do the in between things, like for me, if I'm in on something.
Speaker 8: And even though we started as a hobby, it was right away we were like, yo, how do we make the quality better? You know, I'm thinking like, damn, how can I do the on screen thing better?
Speaker 5: How do we create better content?
Speaker 8: Even though it was only a hobby, I think just my natural personality kind of pushed us to really work hard at it. And so I think all of those things together put us in a pretty good spot.
Speaker 3: Now. It's crazy you say that, because it's like a lot of stuff that I learned in basketball I still carry over in business, in life. And one of the biggest lessons I never really liked Burns. He was our coach, but shout out to him, you know, let after all these forgive it, but one thing that he really he really really taught me. And it was like, I don't know if you remember, but if you came fifteen minutes beforehand, anything after fifteen minutes early was late. Like you know what I'm saying. So if you came five minutes like it practice started at four and you came at three fifty five.
Speaker 7: You was late.
Speaker 3: And the reason I understand that now because it's like, you gotta prep. We can't start a podcast at four and get here at four, right, we gotta like, you know what I'm saying. So it's like little stuff like that really really carries over, and I understand what you're saying as far as like I feel like you know all of us, but especially for athletes, once you get it's hard to really halfway do anything because you still got that competitive spirit in you. You want to be the best at what you do. So let's let's let's jump into the actual sneaker culture for people that might not be aware because it's crazy. I got a sun and he's not and thankfully he's not in the sneakers yet same saving me a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I'm not as lucky.
Speaker 7: I told him.
Speaker 3: I told him he's doing an episode today on sneakers and he's like, why are you doing an episode on sneakers? Nobody's gonna watch that. I'm like, wow, He's like, nobody cares about sneakers. I'm like, Oh, you don't know what you're talking about so, so sneakers a billion dollar industry and the highest sneaker ever sold actually was recently five hundred and sixty thousand for autograph Jordan one. So there's a whole like stock exchange for people that might not be familiar with sneakers is called stock X, and so that's like it's similar to the stock exchange.
Speaker 7: Like they have bid prices, act prices. You want to talk about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so if you go to stock x and we're not promoted by it, but I have used the site. So we got to start looking at sneakers, ask him outits like we said earlier. So they have prices, they have an ask price, like you said, a big price, and then you can see the transactions of the past year or so. Like so when we watch a chart on the stock market, we can watch the chart of the value of a shoe. We can also see if it's the appreciated or if it's appreciating right, so it's a good thing. Like we always say, like, yo, if a shoe, if a pair of Jordan's was eight thousand dollars, was you buy it?
Speaker 4: If it was on sale for sixty dollars, will you buy it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: You got to know your end price.
Speaker 6: So like it is a stock exchange and the sensor, which which is why they call it stock x, And I mean it's a pretty good site. And it also does something that a lot of people weren't doing. And I was a victim of this, is they authenticate the shoe. So authenticating the shoe is extremely important, right because prior to this, and I'm sure you probably maybe you fell victim to it too, but it was eBay and Craigslist that was it.
Speaker 8: It's it's people were definitely getting got And as time has passed, the fake pairs have gotten so much better. It used to be you could spot a fake from two blocks away, you could say yo. But now they've gotten so good that you, you know, you really do need something in place to kind of protect you in that regard.
Speaker 5: So yeah, stock x does a great job.
Speaker 3: With that, so to do people, because I've seen that the game is so there's like resellers who like buy a pair of sneakers four hundred dollars and then they resell it on the market for three hundred because it's a limited quality.
Speaker 4: But so it's like two sneaker markets.
Speaker 6: There's like the actual global sneaker market, and then there's a resale market. So I think when you said like the two billion dollar market, that's like the reselling market where people buy it and bulk and then they sell it for a markup.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So if that's pair of shoes was one hundred and ninety nine dollars, like a pair of Easies is two hundred dollars, right by the time it gets to stock X or one of these site stadium goods of flight Club, that same shoe is now going to be like five hundred minimum. So that person is going to make a three hundred dollars profit on the shoe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So can you talk about that, mic as far as you don't you don't resell obviously you're familiar with it because you're in the culture.
Speaker 7: Are people still doing that?
Speaker 3: And how much money can can somebody actually make a being a reseller?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean that's a great question.
Speaker 8: And that's probably the thing that I get messaged and the most about on social media is like yo, because everyone thinks, YO, get rich quick, get a couple pairs of easy and and you know you're in there, but and there is a ton of money in it. One of the reasons why I never really went in that direction. I mean, I have sold sneakers. I sold my entire collection a few years ago, but about that. But it's in order to really make real money in that you have to get a lot of pairs. You can't go get, you know, a pair of Jordan Retros on Saturday and think that that can be your only source of income. You know, you have Now if you go get one hundred pairs or fifty pairs on Saturday, and now it's fifty or a hundred bucks profit on each pair. Now you can do the math and you can say, Okay, there's some real money coming in here. But it's it's definitely something that you have to get a lot of pairs to make it worth it, in my opinion. And then the more you know about the ins and outs the like like any field, the you know, the different little new one on to and stuff, the more successful you'll be. And I think maybe the biggest thing is to be able to predict. You know, I've heard you guys talk about real estate before and different stuff like that, you know, and obviously we've been talking how it's similar to stocks. If you can predict when a sneaker is going to take off or when it's going to crash. Like for example, did you guys watch that Jordan documentary?
Speaker 5: Of course? Right? So man, he wore a pair of sneakers.
Speaker 8: I don't even remember which one it was, maybe it was the Chicago ones. And I went to stock X the next day and they were up like five six hundred bucks from where they were.
Speaker 4: Same thing.
Speaker 8: So if you were smart, now I wasn't, But if you were smart, go buy fifty pairs and then anticipate the boom and then cash out. And so if you can predict the way things are gonna go, which is never something that I've invested a lot of time or energy into.
Speaker 5: But if you are able to do.
Speaker 8: That, then like you said, there's there's there's tons of money in it is it's a huge industry.
Speaker 6: Like I guess the big question is, and I know there is like an inside a lot of people know, people like district managers of stores, so they get picked. How is somebody getting fifty piers Like I'm come from that era where you waited in line on Saturday, right, and then if you were able to get into the store, you got one. Then it turned into like if you had a raffle ticket, then you can get it. Now we're dealing with bots, and if anybody doesn't, you want to explain what a bot is in the sneaker culture.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure, A bot is basically something that you run on your computer to help you check out lightning fast so that you can beat you know, the person who's there at their computer doing it manually, trying to put in their credit card info and boom, you already got the sneaker and you're already you know, down the virtual block, so to speak. But as far as how resellers get the stuff, that's not something that I'm necessarily too privy to because I don't do it. But sure you could have bots. You could have I've seen people here locally just go out in force, like basically or in numbers. I should say, They'll go line up at a skate shop for a pair of Nike sb's and they'll just line up fifty deep. You know, maybe they'll bring out, you know, some high school kids or you know some people who are just hanging around the store and pay them twenty bucks or forty bucks and you know, have them stand that spot online because there are some places and some sneakers where you can still do first come for a serve. Then there's the bot stuff. Then maybe you know, it's kind of like a pay to play thing. You could you know, go to a sneaker boutique or you know, a mom and pop maybe and you know, maybe they'll let the pairs go early and you know, so say maybe you get twenty thirty pairs, but you have them early and now you can mark them up even more. So I think there's different angles that you can attack it from as far as getting the product in hand. It's people assume because you know, we have the YouTube channel and that I'm you know, touching and reviewing sneakers every day, that you know, there's some like you know, red carpet in front of the studio down here where they just you know, toss me all the limited h sawt.
Speaker 5: After sneakers, and that's not really the case.
Speaker 8: A lot of times I got to pay the resell price on it myself just to get it so we can, you know, do the video on it and get the product in hand. So there have been other times where I'll go to a local resale shop here and do the video on said sneaker and then give the sneaker back sometimes.
Speaker 5: So sometimes I'll.
Speaker 8: Get lucky and you know, I'll get a pair at retail, you know, online or however it goes. But it's getting the product is is definitely one of the biggest obstacles as far as someone getting into that line of work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I read somewhere where it's become a lot harder now because, yeah, a lot of places you can only buy one pair at a time limit you online. Then if you try to buy it on like the easies, you can't even buy them like retail, like they sell out so quickly it's limited edition. So it's become so the counterfeit market I've actually read is actually booming and they've become really good. Like you said, sometimes you can't even tell the difference between counterfeit, So is that all coming out of like China or is it counterfeits like just all over everywhere at this point, and you just really don't know because they said, like it's sometimes you really don't even know if it's if it's real or not.
Speaker 6: I think they sees like a there was like a seventeen million dollar season at the border, like they got a shipment of just fake Jordan's seventeen million.
Speaker 4: It was crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they are mostly from China. I'm not.
Speaker 8: Super familiar with it because we completely stay away from it. There's been other sneaker YouTube channels that have dove much deeper into that, where you know, maybe they'll compare a real pair and a fake pair, or try to educate people in that regard or whatever. So they've got their hands on the fake pairs, but we don't really do anything in that regard. But yeah, I think I guess they've got you know, big factories over in China, and they're getting better and better at at making them look damn near identical.
Speaker 3: Well, they probably make them in the same factor they make the real ones. It's like this, it's a factory in China that's making the real ones. So what's the difference between They'll just put summerside for fake they actually probably aren't.
Speaker 4: Real making millions.
Speaker 6: They had advice had a whole show on the fake retail market.
Speaker 5: Dude's making millions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's making millions of dollars and everybody knows it. But the thing is, like, yo, I could just fit in with this fifteen pair of fifteen dollars pair of sneakers, or I could have the one hundred and eighty dollar pairs sneakers. They gonna look the same and when I walk out the side, you're not gonna know difference anyway.
Speaker 3: Nah, But that you know what, that's crazy though, what you said as far as like predicting events, because that reminds me of the stock Like we look at we buy stock and were like iPhone thirteen is about to come out, so we predict that Apple's stock price is going to go out.
Speaker 7: It's all an educated guest.
Speaker 3: We don't really know it not, So I never really looked at it as far as sneaker is in the same capacity. But yeah, you could say, okay, like let's say that you know, Lebron decides he's going to retire after this season, then the last sneaker that he puts out hypothetically could be more valuable because he's not gonna put on anyone.
Speaker 6: That literally happened this year with the untimely death of Kobe Bryant. So like Kobe passing, now, if you try to get any Kobe sho any of the thirteen or fourteen ones he put out, they're over a four hundred dollars each, like whereas when he was alive and playing, that wasn't the case, like you could buy a Kobe so outside, like the Kobe nine. When he came out the high top and it changed, it was like it was affordable to do. And now it's like, yo, four hundred dollars at the minimum.
Speaker 3: So but Mike, yeah, let me let me ask you this, what is what is the how does sneakers actually get value? Because to me, it's a little I feel like, I said, I'm not a sneakerhead, but I saw you did a review on your on your page a few days ago with the off white something off white oes. Yeah, it looked it looked like it was it was a dope sneaker to me. But she was like, you can actually get it for a cheaper price now. So it seems to me like the randomnest sneakers just go up crazy, Like is there like a rhyme or reason to why sneakers are valued at what they're valued on the secondhand market.
Speaker 8: I think it's just what the consumer kind of pushes it to and and or lets it drop to. You know, it really is and That's why sometimes you'll see people, you know, complaining about prices, and even me sometimes I'm like, man, I can't I want that sneaker, but I'm not going to pay that.
Speaker 5: But it's us who set the market. You know.
Speaker 8: It's supplied and demand like anything else, and obviously certain sneaker releases.
Speaker 5: Are more limited, so already the supply is low.
Speaker 8: So then if the demand is even up a little bit, it's going to be something. It's going to reflect that in the resell price of the sneaker. So it's it is something that's pretty hard to predict. Like I said, to me, it would be a headache, you know, Like I know, if if that's something that you're doing for a living, which I know plenty of people who do do that and do very well for themselves, But to me, that would be it's too wishy washy. For me, it's too like I like to be a little bit more certain about stuff, and so it's it is really tough to predict sometimes. But you know, if you really have your ear to the street, so to speak, and by that I mean just really on social media because that's what things are these days, you can kind of feel it starting a bubble, you know, like these night ESB sneakers.
Speaker 5: You know, Nike skateboarding.
Speaker 8: Is something that several years ago were really popular, and then over the past few years they kind of got stagnant. No one really wanted them other than people who were skating in them, but they had no resell value. And now over the last year or so, it's just bananas. Like it was a pair that I had and they were reselling for like two grand and retails like a hundred bucks. So it's but about a year ago, you could feel it start to bubble, you know. You could people were talking about them more, people were posting more. You could see you could see the resell prices kind of climbing a little bit, the releases being a little bit more hyped up, the sneaker blogs covering the stuff more, and so you can you can feel it start to bubble. It's not like a complete shot in the dark, but it is something that you got to really be in tune with if that's how you're gonna make your money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the SB, I'm glad you brought that up because the SB obviously, and we're going to talk about the Ben and Jerry that you got we need to talk about that, because I saw the post we're gonna talk about that.
Speaker 4: We got to talk about that.
Speaker 6: But the SB has, like you said, like a year ago, came back, and I feel like it was a Travis Scott effect, Like that's the power of influence. Like every time Travis Scott would put on the SB, whether it was the Diamond or the ones he made.
Speaker 4: You would see that shoe go up.
Speaker 6: But prior to that, I think, and maybe you can add to this, the one that changed the way sneakers looked at I think it has to be the SB Pigeon.
Speaker 8: No, well, I mean that was that was one of the first sneakers that really created like a real real craze, you know. And so yes, but I think there's been an ebb and flow to sneakers, and I mean really everything goes that way, but it's the things will be sky high and then you know, they'll kind of gradually slide back down and then something will happen where it booms again. And I think what you said about Travis Scott is is I think you really nailed it on the head, you know, especially now social media, Like I think that that's the ingredient that took sneakers from a much more niche really much smaller group of people that really really cared about it and really took it to where it's at now. I mean social and and a big part of that social media is, like you said, the Travis Scott's of the world, the celebrities. You know, you've got Kylie Jenner on on wearing sb's and you know a lot of sneaker people were upset because they were like, oh, she's not you know.
Speaker 4: She's getting them for free.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, and like, yo, she's she's new to this.
Speaker 8: And but the truth of the matter is they still have incredible influence. And when people start seeing that stuff on Instagram and they start saying, I want that sneaker, I want that one, and you know, now they're on stock x or now they're you know, searching to where they can find the sneaker. And so celebrities have really boomed things in my opinion, and Instagram specifically, and you know, just social media in general.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 6: So you spoke about not having the magic carpet where the sneakers are getting delivered to your door as a company. Was there one that you said you know what, I need to have this, and if so, what was the highest price you had to pay for that shoe?
Speaker 8: Okay, So it goes two different ways. First is how much would I pay for a sneaker that I want to wear? You know, I want to wear it. I'm going to beat them up and I'm just okay with that. And then how much am I willing to pay for a sneaker that I'm going to get and we're going to create content around it, and then maybe down the line, I think it's going to hold value and it will be something I can sell down the line. So even though I'm not reselling on a day to day and that's not how I make my money per se, there are still sneakers.
Speaker 5: That that come and go, you know.
Speaker 8: So the first part of that would be the Kobe six Grinch, which is that you know that really bright green pair of Kobe sixes and it was it's my favorite Kobe sneaker of all time. And actually a few weeks before he passed, I said, you know what, I'm going to do it, and and I paid like a thousand bucks for him, and and I got him and we did the video down here at the workshop, and we actually posted it on Sunday morning, and then my brother and I went and hooped, and after we my brother left the gym first, and when I got over to the sideline, I was putting my stuff on and changing my sneakers. I looked at my phone and he told me Kobe passed. And so it was just crazy how how that worked. And you know, now obviously, like you mentioned earlier, you know, you know, with him passing, everyone devastated, but then there was obviously people who were still capitalizing on how many people wanted Kobe's at that point. So now the sneaker is like double that or or or triple that.
Speaker 5: So that was That's.
Speaker 8: Probably about the most I've spent on a sneaker to actually wear. And then as far as getting something that I knew would have some value down the line or down the road, would be the Red October Easies when when he was when he was still with Nike.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I can't remember exactly what I paid.
Speaker 8: It was a homie who looked out, so I think it was around two thousand, and I ended up selling them for like maybe forty five hundred or five thousand, you know, maybe a year later or something like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Like I said, if you look at it from a stock and how much of those now, like ten thousand.
Speaker 4: Probably the red out too, probably fifty five hundred right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think depending on the size, and that's another thing, right, that's true too, Yep, yep, you know, depending like I think I wear size thirteen. I think in my size, I think the lowest listing that I saw on stock X recently might have been close to ten grand.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 6: So like that sometimes when they put these things out, I can get a shoe for four hundred dollars if you were size thirteen, or if you got like a real small foot.
Speaker 5: The small foot is that's tough.
Speaker 8: The small like sometimes like a size four and a half and it'll be like double what any other size is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at thirteen makes a big difference too, because I wear thirteen too, and it's like that's the last size that there's no half, So it's like there's no twelve and a.
Speaker 7: Half mostly mostly so.
Speaker 3: It's like eleven, eleven and a half twelve, So after twelve, it's like twelve, thirteen, fourteen to so now it becomes harder and it's less sneakers. I think the most popular is like ten and a half something like that, the most Like yeah, but now that's crazy that but like I said, looking at it from a stock standpoint, you brought it, sold it for forty five hundred, that's.
Speaker 4: Like twenty two hundred.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, twenty two hundred.
Speaker 7: You sold it for forty five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's that's like one hundred percent increase, more than one hundred percent increase. So if you look at it from a stock that's like, you know, a great investment.
Speaker 6: But that's so that's true, right, But that imagine if you got it at retail, right, because in retail puts two hundred dollars, you know what I'm saying. So if you're one of those people who got lucky, like Nike put that out on a random day, you bought it for two hundred, Now you're selling it for five thousand.
Speaker 4: Show me the stock that's going to do that right now?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no, it's crazy. Now. Now it is important to note, like.
Speaker 8: I think something with people who resell sneakers because it is so hard and it is there is so much luck required to get pairs at that retail price. But going back to what we were talking about as far as being able to predict the market, like what if you cashed everyone out who had a pair who was willing to sell. What if you were cashing them out even at three thousand, just you know, thirty five hundred, Even if you were doing four thousand and now, say you sat on now you'd have to tie up some bread. But if you sat on twenty pairs and now doubled your money, you know, now you're really talking. So I think a lot of the resell market is buying it at a lower resell price because.
Speaker 5: You know that they'll go up. Like Travis scott.
Speaker 8: Sneakers for example, pretty much every single one that I've seen since he started, you know, doing collaborations with Nike, every single one is noticeably more expensive six months after release than it was a month after release. So it's just going up and up and up and up. So being able to predict that, I think allows you to maybe get more in bulk, although of course if you can get something for retail, then it's a home run.
Speaker 6: Yeah, him in Virgil right now, the cash kings for sneakers As far when it comes to Nike it's not even close.
Speaker 3: Yes, So we got the backstory on the whole sneaker industry. But now we're gonna go into my favorite part. We're gonna you're gonna look in your business model as far as you know, like I said, you're an entrepreneur, you're not just a sneaker enthusiast. So we're gonna we're gonna look at your business model and see how you know, how you've become successful.
Speaker 7: In the next segment, let's do it all right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so in this segment, this is this is the interesting thing about Earn your Leisure because it's like, if you talk about businesses and there's so many different ways to make money in this world and so many ways to capitalize off of your passion, and sneakers is no different A lit of time, Like I said, people, I wanted to do this episode a little different because everybody knows about the resale aspect of it, and that's the most obvious. But it's like the old ad it says, like the people that really made the most money during the gold Rush wasn't the people who actually found goals, the people that like sold the picks and all of the utility stuff to the people that's looking for goal because it's like it's so many people trying to resell sneakers. Only a select few was going to actually make money reselling sneakers, but all of the ancillary stuff, that's where nobody's really thinking about. And that's where I really like, like what you're doing. So can we talk about that, because it's like, from the outside looking in, you got like a real like Bolman business operation going. So you do sneaker reviews. It reminds me of the kid, right, you know Ryan? You ever heard of him? Ryan made fifty five million dollars fifty He made fifty five million dollars on YouTube last year something like that, and he's the number one YouTuber. He's seven years old and he plays with toys, oh everybody. He has toy reviews. So when I see, like, I see you do sneaker reviews. So you do sneaker reviews, You have merch you do, you got endorsement deals with companies, like you're you're an influencer. You probably do events and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: So yeah, can you.
Speaker 3: Talk about that as far as like your your business model, because yeah, you got a whole business around sneakers, and it's not it doesn't involve selling sneakers.
Speaker 8: Right right exactly, Yeah, no. And I didn't go to school for business. My brother didn't go to school for business, you know. So uh but we are from New York City, as you know, and and you know, so it's it's in our blood. And when we first started, like I, like I mentioned, it was kind of a hobby, right, And then as things progressed and built a little bit, brands started reaching out and so say, okay, we'll give you five hundred bucks to you know, review this sneaker and and you know, plug us in the video and let people know where they can go and buy them, et cetera, et cetera. So at the time we're like, all right, cool, But but then we started to realize.
Speaker 4: Like, erners, what's up.
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, Like the checkout is fast, receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds.
Speaker 4: Odds are they're using Square.
Speaker 6: We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless, whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily Fulfilled Life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 9: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 8: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security. Well, if the brands are willing to pay us to show product, why can't we just make our own product and just kind of like we don't need the brand, you know, as far as that goes, really, And so we created Uncivilized, which is like, you know, a little streetwear brand that we started, and you know, we do really well with it, man, and it's you know, we keep it simple. We didn't try to reinvent the wheel or anything. Again, a lot of the stuff, well really all of the stuff that my brother and I do, it's stuff that we've been passionate about. So I think when we implement it into kind of the business model, it works really well because we're passionate about it. You know, like my brother was printing on white teas when he was in like ninth grade, and you know, slinging him out of the cafeteria in high school.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: So it's it's kind of just a more advanced version of that. And so yeah, so we have the the brand deals. And we also noticed as we grew the channel and got bigger and talk to more brand people and stuff, that those brands have a lot of money they got a lot of money for advertising. And YouTube is kind of like a new frontier in that regard because it hasn't been around for that long. And I think brands are starting to realize, you know, wow this you know, you hear this influencer word, and you know, I think sometimes it's easy to be like, you know, yeah, whatever, but I think brands are starting to realize, especially certain people, that man, this is really it's almost like guerrilla marketing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: It's like the way we saw advertisements growing up. It's different now, you know.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 8: We realize that a lot of these brands had had pretty big money that they could put into what we do. And so the brand Lane and Angle is is one way that we work and make money. The Uncivilized clothing is is another way we We even had a beard care company for a little while called Beard Necessities where we were, you know, selling beard oils on Amazon, so and we were kind of promoting it through because right, we've we've built this audience and we've built this this this kind of this platform. So if you don't use that to your advantage, then I think you're leaving a lot of money on the table. And I think that you know, you're missing out, and especially I think sometimes people are like, oh, well, you know, if you're monetizing the audience, then you know, that's whack, that's not cool. That But we're not pushing stuff that that we don't agree with. We're not pushing bogus products. You know, we're you know, we rock with the brands that that we align with and and that our audience does too. So it's organic and it makes sense and we can make money and make a living at it. So there's a lot of different kind of you know, little aspects I guess of the overall business model. But you know, really the main thing is goes back to one of the first things I said, which is we just try to outwork everybody. Man like, we love what we do. Uh, you know, we love each other, which is really important.
Speaker 5: You know. I think sometimes people are like, oh, you work with your brother. You know we live together too. You live with your brother.
Speaker 8: We you know, you know I would be ready to strangle my brother, but you know, for him and I we've always had a great relationship. We don't fight, we don't argue, we love the same stuff, and so it's just worked out really well, you know, doing what we do.
Speaker 6: When you said the brands are reaching out, are you talking about the actual brands, so we're talking like Nike Adida Okay, yeah, because I mean there's also partnership. Are you also doing partnerships with shoe accessory so I'm thinking like shoe cleaning devices and things like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, we we haven't done too We have done some stuff with shoe cleaner companies, we haven't done too too much. We've done a lot of stuff with stock X. We've done stuff with the brand like Nike Adidas. We've also done stuff with the retailer like finish Line, foot Locker, something like that. So we've really kind of worked with them all at this point. What what we try to focus on, my brother and I is.
Speaker 5: Not number number one.
Speaker 8: It's it is more authentic and organic to do it this way in my opinion, and I think.
Speaker 5: There's also a.
Speaker 8: There's more money in it as well, and that is trying to create and form long term partnerships and relationships as opposed to one offs. So as opposed to you know, okay, uh you know, say you know finish Line, Okay, you give us exit amount of dollars and we'll do this video for you and then okay, see you later. Now, when I talk to brands, I'm like, hey, listen, let's let's try to create something that's a little bit more long lasting than that. I think it has more impact. I think it reaches the audience better. So now maybe we bump the price down, you know a little bit, but maybe we do something for six months or a year, and it keeps us with money coming in, and it keeps us working with the brands who really kind of rock with us, and it just I don't know, I just feel like it's a it's a stronger way to do it than all the one.
Speaker 5: Off stuff that you see.
Speaker 6: Sometimes we talk we talk about the middleman a lot, so like people, we talked about what stocks is fundamentally, but really they're just the middleman between a buyer and a seller, right and then making a profit of the commissioner of those sales. So how did that deal come about? And when did it come about?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So I actually the guy who I guess you could say invented it. I actually knew him through social media before it even was a stock X and it was called Campless at the time, I think it was campleus dot com and it was no sneakers were being sold, but it was just all the numbers and the analytics and you know, the stock market aspect and documentation of stuff. And he actually flew down here to Tampa and we grabbed lunch and talked about it, and he said, hey, like, I think I got something here, and you know, you're a guy that I want to work with, just you know, as things progress, if they progress. And so then he sold that Dan Gilbert leave and the owner of the calves right, yeah, so and then instantly pretty much Josh Luber is the guy's name. And so Josh reached back out to me and said, hey, look, we wanted to He kind of filled me in on what was going on and said, Yo, we want to shoot a like kind of an internet commercial and we want you to be in it. And so we were like cool, and my brother and I flew out to Detroit. You know, they kind of tore us around and and you know, kind of showed us the ins and outs of the business.
Speaker 5: It's it was crazy.
Speaker 8: Even at that time, this was probably I don't know, three four years ago.
Speaker 5: Even at that.
Speaker 8: Time it was they had a bunch of employees, like they were already booming, and so we we kind of were in on the on the ground floor with them. And it's also the place that that I was comfortable early on buying and selling sneakers myself. Like, like I mentioned a few years ago, I sold my entire sneaker collection pretty much, and you know now I've accumulated just about as much again, but uh so all of my unworn pairs I sold them through stock X. And so it's you know, we like to work with the brands and the companies who we use and and even like you know personally who we rock with, Like we don't want to put something out there that I'm then gonna you know, when I close the computer or close my phone. Now it's something it's something different, you know. You know, we kind of try to be authentic with it.
Speaker 7: No, I think that's important.
Speaker 3: And it's like you know, Aren Alesia, it's a business podcast, So we never apologize about making money, Like that's the whole point. And I feel like a lot of times with creatives and content creatives, like what you said, as far as like their community sometimes might fill away like oh you're making money, but I think as long as you educate the people and you you're not trying to scam the people, they actually want you to make money because it's like you've providing value, like you've giving them a review is valuable to them, Like they trust you. They know you're not just gonna give a review on some nonsense, so it's like you're saving me a trip to the store if it's not worth it. And it's like even with us on the educational when it comes to business podcast stuff like that. But it's dope for content creators to be able to make a living off of creating content, like even us now, like we create content pretty much for a living, Like you're creating content for a living. So how has that been as far as like, cause you're not like a tech guy in heart, I don't think like you know what I'm saying. So but your videos, Like nah, your videos is really dope as far as the editing and all of that, And so how did that come about as far as like do you have an in house team for editing and content or like, yeah, how's that happen?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So when we first started the channel like seven years ago, neither one of us knew what we were doing, my brother or.
Speaker 5: Myself, and we didn't really know how it was going to go.
Speaker 8: Neither one of us were tech guys, neither one of us were necessarily on screen guys. So he just really really didn't want to be on camera. And I was like, all right, well, you know, I'll be on camera.
Speaker 5: I don't care.
Speaker 8: And then he kind of gravitated towards the editing thing and you know, the camera stuff, and so he got really really really good at it, you know, to the point where you know, I think, hands down, he's one of the best in the space when it comes to you know, the sneaker footage and you know, getting the b roll and you know, he's gotten really really good, and you know, we have we can afford good equipment now, and so it was just kind of a natural progression of things and us kind of pushing each other in kind of our respective lanes. Like you know, with basketball, like you got to do your job. Like you know, if you have, you know, some big center at the park who can't shoot, but he wants to dribble the ball up the court and hoistep step back threes, everyone's gonna get irritated. You know, it's not that's not conducive to winning, but if you do what you're supposed to do, then it works out really well. So he's he's pushed himself as far as becoming a better editor, and he's taken online classes and you know, you can self teach anything through YouTube these days. You just google you know, how to do blank, and you put it into YouTube and you know, a pretty good video will probably come up. So he's learned how to edit almost exclusively that way. And we did hire another guy for maybe like five six months, and he was he was a pro. He was incredible at videography. He was incredible at what he did. But ultimately we parted ways because it was, you know, my brother, he basically could do the same thing, and so it didn't there's not anything if we bring a shooter in or we bring a camera guy, it doesn't necessarily bump up the value all that much because my brother can do it. So we are looking to assemble a little bit of a team. I think, big picture, that's the way we got to go with it, for sure, because we got our hands full and I think ultimately, you know, maybe we'll have a team of as many as like ten people and we'll really be doing bigger and better stuff. But yeah, for now, it's just it's just me and him and you know, kind of just self taught and just you know, hustling and hustling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, prior to Corona, I noticed sneaker conventions and we actually ended up at a convention. I know that the people have booth. Is that another way to earn income, like when people pay for you to come to these conventions?
Speaker 5: You know, I think it definitely can be.
Speaker 8: I know that a lot of sneaker people, for lack of a better word, were or sneaker influencers were doing those events for free for a very long time. And I think the way they justified it or made it make sense was that when they were there, they would sell merch or they would sell sneakers, or they would somehow make money and make it profitable. So I know, like Sneaker Con for example, they were flying in, you know, they would pay for the travel and stuff, and they were bringing guys in to kind of show up and make an appearance basically, and then that was it.
Speaker 5: But they weren't really paying to have people go.
Speaker 8: So for me personally, I haven't been to a lot of sneaker events, believe it or not. You know, I've only I've been to probably less than a handful. That's not something that I did growing up. Really, It's not something like I said, growing up, I never was like I'm a sneakerhead.
Speaker 5: So you know, it's never like I just like to be fresh. I just like to have some you know, some good feats.
Speaker 8: So I've done a few and gotten paid for him, but it's so few and the money was good, but it's been so few and far between for me personally that it's never something that I could make a living on. If it was that exclusive, you know, if that was my main income, it would be tough.
Speaker 3: Is there any stop to sneak a mania? Because it's been proven to be re session proof, it's been proven to be pandemic proof.
Speaker 7: It's crazy. They had a lot.
Speaker 3: I think it was Chicago, so in the middle of Corona they was like fighting with each other. So like, yeah, it's any Is this ever like it's only going up?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 7: It's it's not slowing down. Huh.
Speaker 8: It's not slowing down right now. But I think you know, what goes up must come down. You know, I do think that there is ups and downs to everything. I've already seen it a little bit, just in the time that we've you know, technically worked in or with sneakers. There has been an ebb and flow to it, and there has been some peaks and valleys, but I think the general trend has pretty much been steadily, steadily, steadily up, so we'll see. I think that there will be a crash eventually, but it's kind of like, you know, my brother bought a house recently, and it's like we had been waiting for a few years because all the real estate experts that we talked to we definitely aren't experts.
Speaker 5: They were like, well, you know, the market's.
Speaker 8: Going to crash you and it's going to crash youn and so we're like, all right, cool, and the crash didn't come.
Speaker 5: So it's so.
Speaker 8: It's kind of the same thing with sneakers, Like I think at some point there will be a crash, but I.
Speaker 5: Don't know when that's going to be. I don't know.
Speaker 8: Maybe it's going to be in a year, maybe it's going to be inten years. I mean, I really don't know. But it's the trend has been up for the most part, at least the general trend has been.
Speaker 6: Up as long as influencers are still putting them on. I can't see it like as guilty as it sounds. Like when we were going through Corona and like mid March and April, I looked on stocks, I'm like, yo, nothing is changing, right, Like these things are still holding their value.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 8: It really is crazy. I mean, just for us. When the COVID stuff hit, I'm going to keep it a buck. I actually was pretty worried because I didn't, you know, we don't clock into a nine to five.
Speaker 5: I don't have a.
Speaker 8: Paycheck and paid leave and all that stuff, and so I was like, man, like we're just kind of out here getting it and we're doing well. But I'm like, man, if this thing just crashes and burns, man, I'm gonna have to really hustle. So actually I noticed the like the first week we took really a pretty.
Speaker 5: Big hit.
Speaker 8: Just with with kind of with everything that we do. I noticed that the numbers were down across the boards for us, and I think after people realized, okay, it's it's not the bubonic plague, not to downplay what it is, and the severity of it and the seriousness of it. But I think when people realize like, Okay, it's not going to be something where it's going to seep through the windows of my house and get me at night type of thing, then it was like, Okay, now people are stuck at home, and what are they doing. They're watching more YouTube videos, They're buying more stuff, myself included.
Speaker 5: I've never been too much of an.
Speaker 8: Amazon shopper, and somehow I ended up buying all kinds of crazy. I bought this right here, like it's something that you it's like putty and you roll it on your keyboard and it takes the dust off your keyboard.
Speaker 5: I don't I didn't need that.
Speaker 8: I bought it on but I bought it on Amazon because I'm sitting there quarantined.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: We were down here basically at the workshop at you know, at the studio where we work, and we were basically quarantined for like probably over a month straight.
Speaker 5: Like I was starting to go crazy.
Speaker 8: And so I think with people just at home on their computers, on their phones, you know, a lot of if you know, if you're selling a product, you know, I think that you know it made it go up even more than it was beforehand.
Speaker 3: Online I was gonna say, online has been extremely profitable for a lot of people during the pandemic. Is unfortunately in life is life is a game of winning, winners and losers, and a lot of people lost a lot during Corona, especially brick and Martar businesses and stuff like that. But the winners in Corona have been the people would online operations. Because online operations, educational platforms, courses, all that stuff. I mean, you would you would never know that it was a pandemic. It's like business.
Speaker 8: Business is booming absolutely absolutely, and you know, I think also and you know, it's ah, you know, I definitely feel for the people who you know, we're out of work and and and missed out on money. I know my I know it hit my pops really hard as far as what he does for work, and he works at a machine shop and so it's just out of work, you know, and so it's it can get really tough. But I think if if the the better, you can adjust to stuff when something like that, you know, you can never predict something like that, but when it does hit, if you're like, all right, how can I somehow use this and turn it into some momentum in a good direction for me. And like, I know, some resale shops that you know, started selling on Instagram and got websites up and running and started doing all their online orders. And I know basketball trainers that we're doing online zoom training sessions and really trying to monetize on the online aspect. Like you said, So it's it's been tough. It's definitely been a challenging time. But I think that there's been, you know, kind of ways to maneuver and you know, make it work for you, you know, at least in some cases.
Speaker 6: I know you've got the uncivilized brand, the clothing brand, but I'm thinking, now, any aspirations for shoe or have any brands approach you about a collaboration.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we actually did a shoe with Salcony. You know, growing up, I always said ny wait, yeah, no, I know, maybe it's a New York thing, And then when when we got up to their headquarters, they were like, you know, it's Socony so so but yeah, now we did a Salteny sneaker and it was awesome. You know, there was only like one hundred and twenty pairs, so it was ultra ultra limited, but nonetheless it's still a our own sneaker. They still sold out instantly pretty much, and you know, we're reselling for like, you know, two or three times the retail price.
Speaker 5: So we would love to do a sneaker, you know.
Speaker 8: You know, I think sometimes because the YouTube thing is still kind of in its early stages at least big picture wise, I think sometimes people on YouTube might might not get the respect to do a sneaker like that, like you know, they think, okay, that's for somebody like you know, a designer or something like that. But I think that we'll definitely have stuff like that in our in our future, And we're actually working on something right now just ourselves where we're just gonna do like a little uncivilized sneaker thing, just my brother and I'm not in affiliation with any brand, just kind of our own thing. So uh yeah, we're definitely, you know, we're always kind of thinking on that front, so that you know, it would be a dream come true to do something with like a Nike or someone like that. But you know, time will tell.
Speaker 6: As far as uncivilized movement. Man, I went on the site. Man the Shirts is sold out.
Speaker 3: Well, I noticed that that's part of the I mean that's part of the marketing though, because it's like it's always a release. It's always a limited amount, right, Like it's not like an unlimited amount. It's like like you gotta get it. It's like, you know who does that to west Side Gun. You're familiar with him.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: From What's what's the Czilla?
Speaker 3: They make it like one hundred thousand dollars a month off merch and I heard on our interview one time and he was like, their marketing scheme is that they only put out a limited amount and they'll drop it like on a random Tuesday and it's sold out by Wednesday, and they don't put it out.
Speaker 7: They only do it like one day a month.
Speaker 3: So now you create it's like sneakers, like you know, you create that command a lot of times when people feel like it's people are funny like if it's unlimited, but if it's limited, even if the price is higher, psychologically you feel like I have to get in on this.
Speaker 6: Before it's everybody does it. When artists go on tour, it's the same thing. It's like, yo, I was there for that moment everybody wants to capture that moment.
Speaker 4: So if you drop that, I know you did. The London artwork on his last album was like, well, I was a part of that release. Everybody wants to be part.
Speaker 3: Of it because I've seen that might take. I need that Mike Tyson. That Mike Tyson hoodie that you had that was that was hard. I think that was last year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm gonna have to send you guys some stuff, you know, you know once once we wrap up, I'll get your guys sizes and stuff. But it's we uh yeah, we do. We keep everything limited. We do it for two reasons. One is because obviously we recognize that, you know, we're not a Nike, you know, brand name, so that type of demand is not there.
Speaker 5: So we we try to meet the demand.
Speaker 8: But we try not to go over that because it is just my brother and I were putting up all our own bread.
Speaker 5: We don't want to have you.
Speaker 8: Know, uh, five thousand pieces in the back storage room here that we're just sitting on for for nothing. So we do keep stuff limited, and it also helps us keep the uh the quality control really good because it is just him and I and we're doing all the shipping ourselves and so it just lets us operate in a functional and practical way. But yeah, yeah, we we pretty much keep everything pretty limited.
Speaker 3: So what's the what's the scaling model? How what's your vision for for the brand?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: Moving forward in the next year five years? Like, how do you see how do you see the brand growing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean, I guess we have some goals, but also we're kind of just moving with things, and we know that if we work hard and keep putting in the work, that will end up where we're supposed to be.
Speaker 5: We try not to get too.
Speaker 8: Rigid in like our path because you know, maybe something you know, stuff comes up and and things change and you know, maybe it's better to shift over this way a little bit. And you know, it's like I think it was Bruce Lee right who says you got to be like water, right, you know, like we're just kind of trying to flow with things and kind of see where things go. Definitely, we want to continue to grow the Uncivilized brand. We're working to open up a coffee shop. That's something that that that I'm passionate about as well, and we're looking at maybe having like kind of a little bit of a speakeasy vibe where we finally have an uncivilized retail space kind of off in the cut, like a little secret, you know, like yeah, like you got to.
Speaker 7: You go through the bathroom and it's like on the left hand.
Speaker 8: Side exactly exactly, so you know, you got to give them the pass word through the door.
Speaker 5: But so we're working on some stuff like that.
Speaker 8: The main thing is just keep creating content, keep paying attention to what's going on, and keep trying to outwork anyone else who's who's next to us, not even on some we don't want them to do well type of thing.
Speaker 5: You know, we want everyone to eat.
Speaker 8: But that's just what's worked for us, not just in the sneaker thing, but in basketball, in a lot of stuff. You know, when we got up to school up in Massachusetts, I was saying the same thing. I was coming from LaSalle Academy on the Lower East Side. I thought we had a good team there, and then when I when I got up to school, I was like, man, these dudes are our next level good. But I just worked and worked and worked until I was on the court and getting a lot of minutes and playing. And so that that's that's the same idea right now, and that's the same vision long term is man, let's just you know, outwork the competition and and and see where it goes, see where we end up.
Speaker 3: One last question before we finished. I noticed that you you do more stuff on YouTube than you do on Instagram. Any particular reason why you why you're more active on YouTube, you.
Speaker 8: Know, that's that that that's one of the flaws right now. Actually, my brother and I were just talking about how I have to get the Instagram jumping a lot more. You know, I almost never post on my main feed. I keep the Instagram story pretty active, but the Instagram main feed is is not something that I focus on at all. And honestly, right now, it's been kind of like a time thing, and I'm super I guess picky about the quality. I don't want to just you know, post stuff that I don't feel like meets a certain standard. So a lot of times we won't have time to you know, go take an hour and you know, take some really dope shots of a sneaker or you know, we just haven't really fitted into our current workflow as stuff. So I definitely want to start doing more on Instagram and on other platforms as well, because I think the more content, the more platforms, the better. So that's something that we'll be focusing on, you know, to finish the year.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 6: I can't let you leave without asking you the number one question, what's top five sneakers?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: Come on, ah man, you.
Speaker 8: Know you can't ask a sneaker guy that. I'm sure you can relate that. There's so many, there's so many to pick from, but I would say probably, you know, for me, when I think of a top five, it's more like nostalgia and sentimental reasons, you know, So like for me, the Jordan eleven, the black and red pair, the bread eleven's that was the first Jordan sneaker that I ever bought with my own money in like two thousand and one.
Speaker 5: So, uh, that's that's in there.
Speaker 8: I think I would probably put the air Max one twenty, which is a sneaker that a lot of people don't know about. It's it's kind of that that Spider Man looking air Max that has like it has like a there's different colors, but had the.
Speaker 4: Sunrise colors on it, right, is what did it have the sunrise colors?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, the Sunrise.
Speaker 8: So that was the first Airmac sneakers that I ever had back in ninety eight.
Speaker 5: So it's stuff like that.
Speaker 8: But I think you almost have to put, you know, an air Force one in there just for the culture, just for the longevity.
Speaker 5: And it's been a mainstay forever other than that. Man, it's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 8: The answer one that the iverson answer one. There's a couple of the Penny sneakers, the early Penny sneakers that I was in love with, the bo Jackson. I'm looking over here to my right because a lot of my favorite sneakers.
Speaker 5: We can hang them up. We hang them up in the rafters down here.
Speaker 8: So there's a and then you know, I gotta throw the salt Andy sneaker that we did just because we did it, you know it, so that there's like twelve five all fire a fight.
Speaker 3: I would say, I would say, I'm not a sneaker officiato, but like sneakers, because sneakers, I feel like sneak. It used to mean a lot more in it. For like it's like music, like I'm old from nineties, Like you know what I'm saying. I remember when sneakers first came out and it meant it meant so much to the to the culture. Like now it's like those sneakers are being re released. But the Chris Webbers, which.
Speaker 4: Which one is? Like the first one, the Golden State.
Speaker 3: He's going to say, yeah, the Chris Webbers, the andre Agassi's, oh yeah, the.
Speaker 7: The ure Agacines. So the bug Bunny Jordan's the Bugs.
Speaker 8: Bundy New York Classic, Yeah, New York Classic.
Speaker 7: Bo Jackson's the Orange and Blue.
Speaker 4: That's what's saying.
Speaker 5: They're right here.
Speaker 4: I got him, I got him. I got him in the next room, bro. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you gotta go with the air max. I think the three six one with the air bubble all the way around, was that the the ones the ninety six nove.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised you didn't have the ninety five's in there, the.
Speaker 8: Ninety five or you might be you might be thinking about the ninety five or the ninety seven. The air bubble was broken up a little bit, but it basically you thinking about the ninety seven.
Speaker 4: The ninety five.
Speaker 6: I thought that you would say that every every like you gotta have a ninety five and then and.
Speaker 8: You know, probably and and whenever this comes up. My brother always throws the ninety five in there. You probably have to have it in there. Honestly, it's just it's so tough to narrow it down. But the ninety five is another New York City classic.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna tell you one and shout out to what's my man's name from Seattle Maclamore. He's the only one who's ever put this shoe in his tops, the Nike Spirit on.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's it's one of those sleepers, but it's class.
Speaker 4: I bought like five different colors of that shoe. Is so comfortable. But yeah, I'm with you, the greatest who ever made the Jordan Love.
Speaker 3: Remember remember Addas with the sock that came out and it was different colors.
Speaker 4: Oh that I think those the Adida XLT or something like that. They at the side like.
Speaker 7: It was like blue black, like you can have, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's real nineties that.
Speaker 7: I'm nineties. I'm a product.
Speaker 4: And well, so we got the eleven.
Speaker 6: I got number one bo Jackson's obviously, but like you said when I watched, I still have this game on tape. Arizona played Kentucky in the ninety six championship when Mike Bibby had all these blue sneakers that I.
Speaker 4: Couldn't figure out what they were. I said, what is that? What is that?
Speaker 6: That ended up being the Pennies the original phone posit that had that's in my top five?
Speaker 7: Is that why your name is former Simpson.
Speaker 4: After after Bibby or actual every hardaway.
Speaker 5: Just after the phone posits.
Speaker 8: So when we were starting the YouTube channel, I was like, all right, you know, I gotta, you know.
Speaker 5: Put a name in.
Speaker 8: And again we weren't looking at it big picture wise, so and at the time I had a bunch of phones, you know, right on the on the floor next to me, and I was like, hey, former Simpson with it. So and then and then you know, it kind of just went from there. But yeah, it's funny because I rarely wear phones now. But you know, obviously the you know, the YouTube name don't change.
Speaker 7: Sims a vintage.
Speaker 3: So, mister Fomer Simpson has been a pleasure. How can the people contact you, well, not contact you, but what's your social media handles all that information? How can they, yeah, get aware of what's going on? Any any initiatives that you you got going on?
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, sure, so, uh, mister former Simpson.
Speaker 8: On YouTube that's the main platform. Mister former Simpson on Twitter and Instagram. My brother and I have a podcast also where we talk about non sneaker related stuff like more just like uh, you know, music, movies, food, all of the stuff that's part of the same culture, but you know, not sneakers per se. And that's the Phamy and Buckets Unnamed podcast and that's been really fun to do. But you know, pretty much just mister former Simpson across the boards if if if you search, you'll be able to find me.
Speaker 7: Troy Housekeeping.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shout out everybody on patreon dot com. That is our proud to pay program. You already know what time it is if you're tier four or five. That gives you access to E y L University, our online school, the number one online business school in the universe.
Speaker 4: That's what we're going with now.
Speaker 6: We're not doing the world no more, the universe, So shout out to everybody that's part of that and shout about Shout out to everybody that's part of our Facebook group.
Speaker 4: We got our private book club, we got our uh, we got Breaking Bread with MG the Morris guy. That's clicking off.
Speaker 6: So we appreciate everyone's support, and everyone that's supporting the merch shouty got the.
Speaker 4: New ey l you university merchant.
Speaker 7: We're gonna get you some merch Mike. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Everybody that's been supporting that, it's all loved. We appreciate it greatly.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you guys for rocking with us. Oh yeah, don't forget. If you're listening on Apple, we need you to do three things. Subscribe, like and review, review review review that's extremely important. YouTube, same thing, hit the like button. We greatly appreciate it. Thank you guys for your support. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 7: Peace here.
Speaker 10: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need