Speaker 1: What is up, Mets fans, Welcome back to another episode of the Mets Stuff Podcast.
Speaker 2: Pretty terrible, serious against the Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is what's gonna happen the rest of the year, the twenty twenty six seasons over. It's shocking me that there's still people getting upset watching this team. I have fully gone into future mode right now. Everything our owners said in a podcast kind of told us that we should be thinking about the future. Everything our president baseball operations seems to tell us that we should be thinking about the future. So that's how I'm looking at it for the rest of the season. What are we looking at with these players? How are they doing? And there were some good there were some bad. There's, of course, things to talk about before we get going into it. Make sure you guys are subscribed to met Stuff over on YouTube and if you're listening to us Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a rat and drops review download subscribe. Big shout to all you guys two loved the EC three live watch along. Shout to Chris Hamblin We love you. Saw that he's saying the Star Spangled banner at our Royals game. Unbelievable stuff. Electric content. Hopefully we get to make more of it. But talking baseball here a little bit ten to fifteen minutes, not too much again, some crazy stuff going on, and I think we have to with how horrible Freddy Perolta was yet again.
Speaker 2: Miserable, dreadful. There's like not even enough superlosis right now. Describe how bad Freddy Perolta is. It's given me. Statistically, he's one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Is heras almost five again, not a huge era podcast when you look at that. To this point, he's been one of the least effective pitchers in baseball. And then you watch the start and you see the first three hitters of the game, reach and a run coming home where he has two of those hitters in the two strike situation, cannot put them away. He got, I think, afraid of his of his change up. He missed a change up to Nathan Lucas and then through six more pitches now that Bath that got fouled off, just missed. Didn't even mess around with another change up to him, couldn't put them away. Later in the horrible four run you know, Paraje and the third inning, all with two outs, mind you, he then missed a two strike curveball Nerdi Clement and then threw him a fastball on the zone. He just is a picture right now who is completely shattered confidence whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Can't believe how bad he continues to be, because unfathomable, I thought he got better after the last start. We saw the velo tick up again at times in this one, like he's throwing harder and yet it's not making any sort of difference. He just with two strikes, he completely chokes up with a guy with two outs in the inning.
Speaker 2: He can't get through it.
Speaker 1: Like every single opportunity where you would think as a pitcher, you're in the driver's seat, this is where you should be getting fat, this is where you should be salivating. Freddie Perultz seemingly crumbles every single time, And I just I don't know if he's ever gonna be a big game picture in a big market like he's supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be, And like that's that's probably a reductive way to look at this. But at the same time, you watch it and you're like, how is this real? How is this happening? But this also seems like it's been a problem with this whole Mets team. This year, Like right now live, I'm pulling up the the era of pitchers with two outs, which is that's something that our friend friend of the podcast, Matt Eddie put us onto as we're watching the game today. How bad Freddie's been with two outs? If I look at the highest Thera's a two athlete the boy again, reductive way to go about this. But right at the top I see David Peterson, Tobias Myers both inside the top ten, and if you ask me that, Christian Scott also is in the top thirty. So if you would have asked me that, I'd been like, yeah, that actually that kind of feels like it's antotally uh, what's it supported in my mind? Now, I'm just gonna quick name sarch Freddy. It's gonna be way higher after this. But Freddy Pralta has nearly a five er with two outs. That's so fathomable, there's just no way, and that it only comes with two twenty six batting average, but that's with a three fifty on base percentage. That's how he goes walks and nibbles with two outs. And this is gonna be worse, much worse after today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he just can't seem to stop the bleeding, even though there was no bleeding until there was.
Speaker 2: It's just a complete mess.
Speaker 1: And I feel like the worst part about this is I think anybody around the league telling you that his trade value hasn't gone down is lying to you one hundred percent. If you're a team around the league watching him pitch, this is not the Freddie Perlta that we saw coming into the season. This is not the Freddie Perlta you could have even expected for a little bit. This has been the worst version of him that he's been basically since he was a rookie. I don't know what his trade value is gonna look like right now, just because this is not a playoff pitcher for a team that's competing for for a championship down the line, it probably isn't.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, like last with three last year, Shane Bieber got a boider Line top hundred prospect, and he was he hadn't pitched in a year, and the last time he pitched he wasn't even good. He was going through a massive minor league rehab stint. I think that's something I think if teams are looking at Freddy Prawlton. They're going to look at the forensics of Fredday Pralton. How can we fix And one of the most worrisome things is how much shorter Freddy Pewlt's extension is this year. He's lost like a quarter of a corler for the extension. That that's a ton, that's something that kind of always made him great. And at the same time a lot to his arm slot is way down. And then we've seen these big velocity gradients. Then you have the slight worry about injury. That's the thing that could really be detrimental to his trade value. I'm not exactly. Again, last year, starting pitching market, it didn't it didn't matter as long as you have a heartbeat, a pulse and you could throw a pitch, not even tomorrow, as long as you could throw a pitch. By the postseason a team wanted because that's the Shane Bieber, Merrill Kelly. That was it. So I think he still does have tremendous trade value. I agree that's less, but I would not say it's none.
Speaker 1: I mean it's probably a borderline top one hundred guy. That's probably the max right.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, maybe a little better than that. Boilerl and top hundred guy and a lot of re ticket maybe guy, yeah, someone in the eighties and a lot of re ticket.
Speaker 1: I feel like if you're the Mets, you're hoping that he has a good start on his next one and you try to ship him out as soon as you possibly can.
Speaker 2: Just any any way, we can get Pedro Ramirez off the cups. That's the only that's the guys. The guy by far I want the most in all baseball that seems to make a little bit, and they're desperate. They just gave us a second round pick for David Peterson. Come on, that's a good point. That's a good point. Let's keep him moving. Think about positive think about that curve for a second. But again, like it's just it feels. I mean, those physical things I just mentioned, those are real. The major philosophy bands peaked in this game ninety nine miles per hour. Yes, fastball men was ninety one point nine. Can't have this and he can throw a slyther And this wasn't the heaviest left handed lineup by the Blue Jays either. I think maybe sometimes the curveball in the slider tagging gets a little mixed up but that was Faddy's bread and butter for a very long time, and the fact that it's just completely disappeared is not It just doesn't make me feel nice.
Speaker 1: No, it's concerning to see him pitch this poorly, but it's not gonna pitch for us very much longer, so I guess it doesn't really matter or how poorly he pitches.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm looking at some of these other two. I can't wait till this updates tomorrow and I could check this out. But these other two strike stats highest era in baseball with two strikes. Tryang, guess the pitcher and the number. The pitcher and the number. Shure, I'm out there. Give me Jake Irvin and eight three eight three this is with this with two strikes. Don't you remember the Fullish baseball any with two strikes? I thought you said two outs, No, two strikes strikes? Okay, so who can't strike anybody out? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Still give me Jake Irvin and give me a His era is a three nine.
Speaker 2: Jake Irvan actually is slightly better than average. Again, okay, dump, Yeah, he's actually in between Christian Scott and Spencer Miles with the Metchasattes, Spencer Miles look nice. Yeah, Chrismiles has a little bit of stuff. It is Andrew Painter sense, but it's only one seven eight two strikes are pretty amazing, Spier. But somehow Hyter's have a three to twelve on base percentage against Andrew Painter with two strikes and sometimes not Freddy. Somehow it's not even the worst in the league, Freddie's Freddy's is either again, it'll be worse after we get these updates. Freddie before the game, it's a one eighty two, two fifty five three eighteen triple slash with a one point five ERA with two strikes, and those are all Those are all bad, but they're not like the worst in the league. And d way fangref sets this up as the minimum of twenty pitches twenty innings. That's not bad. Yeah, it's fine. Again, it is bad, but yeah, it's bad. It's just bad. It doesn't actually really matter.
Speaker 1: And then uh CNL prez giving up a home run to Miles Straw was really like, make me follow my knees moment.
Speaker 2: How do you give up a home run? How does he have three home runs? Miles Straw milestrows swinging a little bit. That was also because, like I think Joe Gerber had like either it was either hangnail or a blister and he had to come out like like two pitches into the inning. The whole thing is just Also Joey Gerber had been like encouraging me slightly lately. I'd like his color and then he gets He's like, oh, finger gotta come out of game. As I began to listen to the show with John Hayman and Joe Sherman, I was really starting to get into that. It's a big talking point. This series just sucks. It's just what bad teams do. You go into Toronto a team that lost six games in row at home and you lose the series. The door swinging it, well, of course he's gonna be fine, like he's got and I wound up being fine. Boba sheet is going to one. Oh we talk about Boba Schev for a second. The crying. Yes, I hated it. I definitely also hated it. I have like a Eric Chavez take here, like a real, real Eric Chavas take.
Speaker 1: That was real, fucking like soft loser shit. I can't handle that.
Speaker 2: That was openly a player who hates being here realized they made a mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big time realized they made a mistake, and how good he had it? Like I think it's also it's really nice of your Blue Jays Fantasy Boba sheet react like that, like damn, he really loved playing here as a Met fan. It's like, oh, kind of fuck you a little bit.
Speaker 2: So this whole season doesn't exist to me as well, I guess, But we also don't even know what the pretext was. Did Bo even get off of the contract by the Blue Jays? What that contract even looked like? It kind of seemed like they made have motivated to move on. Also, it was nice to see like him interact with the old teammates, like Flatty was like they take take your helmet off, give a curtain call. And then even the second game of this series, I've never ever seen back to back days there be curtain calls for a visiting player where Kevin goswin series. He did again, I think they give him a lot of credit for that, And I also think that's where most of the crying came from. Honestly, probably I think being like the last time I played the baseball game on this field. It was the worst moment of my life, best and worst. Yeah, he had the home run off show was probably the peak of Bobachhet's entire career. And then again, nothing that he did to stop that game. But there was some you know, bulky knees coming around third base. He could the whole Crazy World Series hit. Absolutely hated it too. It sent it to you use some different words. Yeah, but it's because it's just like there's a player who you can't see. And again, I don't think this is bleeding into his play. He's been one of the most productive players in baseball for thirty days now, and he's playing great defense at third base, had a great series defensively here, He's gonna wind up having fine stats by the end of the season. So it's just he seems like he may be wishing that his home was still somewhere else. Is he opting out at the end of the year. I think, honestly, maybe, I think he is. I'm very much leaning. I'm seventy five percent. Yes, I'm starting to push there mentally too, just because the way he's playing third base, he looks like he could. It looks like if you squint, he's a plus defensive third basement, which is amazing if we would have said that early in the season and had this all wound up. But unlike Freddy, I feel like that was the biggest question mark coming into the season for Bows.
Speaker 1: Could he play another position. He's shown that he can play third base completely fine, and I think people don't think the hitting is as sticky as his defense is sticky. So a down year offensive maybe cost him a couple of million dollars a year, but I don't think it changes the market.
Speaker 2: If anything, it's going to be better than it was. Because he can't play third and a down year offensively, I feel like by the end of the season we're looking at like a two seventy three twenty you know, seven to sixty Yeah, seven sixty ops kind of slash line. I'm trying to do Matt there and it just wasn't working in my brain as a plus third basement like that, the David Searn's vision of him being like a three to five win player is going to wind up being totally true. If it's just a best suck. If we got good Bobaschett in the first quartery of the season and good Freddy Pearl to the next quartery of the season, this team again will be near five hundred. But those things did not happen.
Speaker 1: No, they can't match up at the same time. Other thing to talk about from the games too, just bigger conversation. The Wan Soda defensive play almost immediately after we mentioned, oh he hasn't been that bad in the outfield, the wan so defensive play, and then a j Ewing doing his best to try and save the day, just kicking the ball, like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: You want to assessment. As Michael confordo flashbacks, I've never seen this. This is gonna be Tim Kirschen for a second. I've never seen a thirty six year old inside the park home run where when they crossed home plate the ball was still in the outfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was crazy how not even close to the Mets were to getting George Springer who looked like he was going to pass out after he turned first base.
Speaker 2: And the worst part is you'd lose because of that run, Like it felt like it was going to be a game where you got run out of the ballpark and you literally lost because of that play. Yeah, No, it was that one hurt and then the Lindor error freaking out with Andy Green thoughts opinions on that real quick, because again when we talk about the show, I guess we will talk about Lindor and Soto a little bit more because we have to because it was addressed by the team owner. Again. But yeah, we had some conversations off air about that, and like talking to some people who kind of have more been in those situations about the competition. Yeah, kind of costing your teammate and opportunity to get through an inning, and that's basically what then door data sham and I there it was probably more and not it didn't manifest itself in the right way, but much more frustration seemed like with Francisco Inndoor himself. Then yes, the decision being made, but it did come off as being a bit insubordinate and a little bit braddy.
Speaker 1: I also think that, yeah, Lindor has to do a better job of keeping his emotions in check there, and we have seen him every once in a while, especially when things are not going well for the team and himself, he will have these like little bursts. We saw it early in the season in twenty twenty four when he argued with an umpire, which we'd never seen before, went.
Speaker 2: Ballistics, slammed the glve on the ground, just slam the glove on the ground.
Speaker 1: We've seen him scream at Jeff manhal like, there definitely are moments where the bursts come out. Could have handled it better, But I do think very much obviously like knowing the context of what was going on, that was not angry at Andy Green.
Speaker 2: That was more like, please let him finish. It was my fault, not his. Yes, and again didn't manifest in the right way, but came from the right place.
Speaker 1: Which is now gonna lead into talk talking about the show by Joel Sherman and John Hayman.
Speaker 2: No live watch path of this one. This time. I feel like some of the people were like, oh, can you guys do this more often? Hard to Again, I think we'll get back to the games. I still want to talk about Nolan McLain a little bit, and then sure I do eventually want to talk about that ninth ending watching Ryan Ratio, Mark Fianz just try to hit Louis Viarland. But the big story in Mets world right now.
Speaker 3: Is the show people.
Speaker 4: Dehydration sucks Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 5: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor, I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 4: Yep, tough workout or dry them out in the morning. Whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about not only a product that tastes great, but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to Quinns dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q U I n CE dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns Quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose street cure or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: Everything that I mean, the show is the show. It's John Hym and Joel Sherman, and that had Steve coming on and one. I even think the concept of that is fascinating in this whole context because two years ago, when the mess determined ad sellers, Steve Cohen called a massive press conference add to the field and late Jalloon j Jaloon jellon late June July afternoon. I remember it was also hot of shit like it is outside right now in New York. But this is a little different. I even remember I think Brad Marshad, who does a lot of them of sports media work for the Athletics, said this, like I remember this kind of interview and we just saw it during all the nick shit, like an owner sitting down at w f an. This is the Steve Cohen going on a podcast. Kind of fascinating even just play on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and with reporters who are gonna they're gonna ask some questions, and I was I was shocked at how much Steve Cohen said and answered, and I didn't particularly love that he answered some of them so candidly.
Speaker 2: I also loved the way that Joel Shre and then John Hayman went about it. They didn't they didn't hold back any punches. Again, I don't know, maybe something about being in that room, but like those guys were pretty critical of a lot of stuff, but they all just everyone just love Mendoza so much, Like they couldn't real ask him. Was something about Carlos Mendoza. They just couldn't ask him tough questions.
Speaker 1: I think he's just I think he genuinely such a nice, nice guy and you could tell that, like he was eating away at him. And you even heard Steve Cohen talk about that. Part of the reason why him and David Stearns decided to move on form Mendoza was because they weren't going to extend him at the end of the year. There they made the decisions not coming back, and I think Steve Cohen said, let's just give this guy a break.
Speaker 2: Oh he called it a mercy shot. Yeah, Like, and we kept saying those were in this podcast.
Speaker 1: We said, we're like, just let him go. At this point, why is he still here? I flung back in my chair when he said that. I just couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: But Also it does make sense by never expect the owner of your favorite baseball team to be that just forthright with words.
Speaker 1: No, it was like, you're not coming back, and you look miserable. We're doing this because it actually might make you have a better life. A mercy shows would you use to describe a horse that broke its leg?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's a glue. It's so horrible to say about the guy. But again it makes sense for me to do it. But I also thought there was a cool moment. Again it was gonna grab little pieces of this that with all were interesting. He talked about specifically being a hands off guy, not wanting to be an evasive owner, seeing that owners and other sports Baseball so other sports whatever, jumping a little too much into things and holding the h their teams back over the years. But then he said, with the team playing so poorly this year and then not expecting it to be this bad, he basically hinted that there's going to be some kind of serious internal audit, and then Joel asked him a ri the real around, like what does that mean? Are you doing this? Are you hiring an outside firm? And then was like, I'm just gonna have my people do it, We're gonna handle it, Which is that all that's that's kind of a gray line for Steve because he says my people he has another massive business that he runs. Yes, like are we sicking the quantity? Yeah? On all this stuff.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of the conversation was weird, like even how candid he was about the organizational failures that he had, but then also giving David Stearns the vote of confidence that he will finish his five years. And I do believe that no matter what, David Stearns is going to finish the five years. I actually don't think that there's gonna be a world where he fires him, especially when the Mets have openly said they're worried about optics, and now you have the owners saying you're not going to fire him. Would be a bad look if you did after publicly saying.
Speaker 2: You won't be. And Cohen mentioned that specifically because later on again Joel pushed back and like they were like, really, like is that what you meant? He's getting the full five years? And then Steve went on the whole thing about all the blame he's getting right now, he needs to get credit for twenty four. He's like I talked to David every day he can. He did a lot of comments about process, which we'll get to in a second, but he talks pifically about He said, the burning churns a terrible place to be and we did that for a lot of years. And these are the kind of things that have been trickling out a little bit from people who are involved with the team but not involved with the team, that this is not something the team likes, that it's their view, And then Steve said specifically, then next time, nobody wants to come. Yeah. But then he said the opposite later about the manager, where he said, I wrote down specifical lookus, I want to get his words there. Where is it?
Speaker 1: I mean, the Mets have already publicly had a lot of people throw their hat in the ring, and Alex Kora seemed to also kind of also throwing out his name is like I'd come coach the Mets.
Speaker 2: He basically was like, yeah, tons of people are going to want to get this job. So but that is something about where baseball is where and this this ties into all this sudden anse with their job. That stuff too, where it's like, yeah, I can find a manager, but the president Baseball Operations who I actually trust and like the process. And again he talked about finance things like how variants can affect things when you have good process, and he likes the process better than the results. He specifically mentioned the Mets record in one run games as the fact that we have the worst, the Phillies have the best. Look how different seasons have gone just because of something that the data would tell you was partially random. But then you also mentioned the fact that when the games on the line, our guys are not performing, maybe they get anxious just a little bit. It seems like he said that specifically.
Speaker 1: And what's so funny is that normally when you hear that said about one run games, it automatically goes to the bullpen. Not the bullpen's falls awesome, it's all the offense. The bats are simply not showing up whenever the game gets close.
Speaker 2: And that also could tie into this thing we've talked about a lot over the last year where it's like, how are you gonna know if someone's ready for New York? Like Steve talking about these guys being human beings, they're being more pressure in New York coming to New York. Mather, It's a real thing, and it's a difficult thing to track, especially said when these guys come on big money, short term deals. He's like maybe he mentioned like something offhand about maybe playing into their projections that they have to like lop off like the first half of like the first season of some of these contracts production wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we saw it with Lindor, we saw it with Sodo, We've seen it with Carlos spell Troun. You saw it with Mike Piazza, like throughout the history. Yeah, throughout the history of New York big contracts. I mean, didn't even a Rod start off slow with the Yankees at first, Like, wasn't it Like, I mean, you're still incredible, but like it was a little bit slow where people didn't love him at the start. I think that there's definitely an adjustment period. And when we spoke to Carlos Peltron all those years ago and talked about his first season in New York, he said that there's an unbelieved amount of pressure and also feels like an obligation to be involved so much because there's so much going on.
Speaker 2: All the time. Yes, and there's no way to really prepare somebody for that, because there's no real other media market like this, even I mean Boston Philly incredibly copparable, but I still think they are like just ninety percent of what this is in terms of like I feel like the sheer amount of even just reporters that could be at your locker after every game. There is nobody even close to New York. The Dodgers are close now because of Otani and the Japan thing and all that, but like, but when Kyle Tucker signs that contract, the reporters don't care about him. Of course, not absolutely not, but he's still struggling his deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's playing like absolute shit right now. So like there's there is no place like New York. And especially when the Yankees are always really good, there's no place like the New York Mets, because as soon as there's even just an inkling of doom, gloom or turmoil, it's just jumped down your throats. There feels like there might be more reporters at Met games daily than sometimes Yankee games.
Speaker 2: I feel like based on just the reporters weekend name, there's probably seventeen and there every single day.
Speaker 1: I don't particularly know a lot of Yankee beat writers, and that's that's one of the most popular teams in baseball.
Speaker 2: Things are good over there. It's also because we don't have to, Yeah, but we also were.
Speaker 1: Kind of locked into like everything that's going on in the league. It's not as much as the Mets, but.
Speaker 2: Kind of like besides the guys who write for the Athletic, because that's what I read like, it's hard for I don't know who does to cover his Yankees for the Post. I don't like Brett, I haven't. I mean, Gary Phillips, Bob Klapfish legends they'll be there Foreverman and Hayman of course, but but those are our guys. Those got I mean, those guys can't get away from this team. That's what I'm saying. Something else that was fascinating about this I think as kind of nice. I don't know other people are gonna think about this, but how comfortable these guys seem talking to Steve Cohen, And I think that's something that's missed on US fans, which they led the show with, that people like Steve has to address us he's hiding. They're like, you don't hide it They're like, you're at every game, like we see you, we talk to you all the time. They're like, the damon doozy got fired, you were talking to us like off the record right there, like on the on the dirt during batting practice.
Speaker 1: Well, the problem is, I think he went he hid from the public. I don't think he hid from the reporters and stuff like that, which trends. Yeah, I mean, he does like talking to the New York Post. I think he reads that pretty religiously.
Speaker 2: It seems like he does love the New York Post. But I think that that's a very interesting relationship for US fans to see from the outside. And then when you have this big expose tell all seemingly un like not like I'm sure just because of who Steve Cohen is. He had to have gotten these questions before, and he had to there's no way, but like it did feel very casual, like three It's like this felt like three dudes in their twilight years kicking it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just hanging out. And it just happened to have a camera on, which is rare for Sherman and uh Hayman.
Speaker 2: And they they podcast Maugust because they have their video on Spotify. Damn, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are getting podcast mocked by a bunch of seventy year olds, major pocket.
Speaker 2: I mean they ask great questions. I also think I again did some report. They do great reporting when they report the fact that they needled in a little bit on the Lindor so the thing and it got to a spot where it seemed to agitate Cohen enough where he accidentally said one of the worst possible things he ever could have said. He hated that. And just in case you guys again didn't tune into the entire fifty one minutes of the show, But I would recommend, I rarely recommend a different podcast on this show. I think everybody should a stamp of approval. Bang shout, stamp of approval. There was so much good stuff on this, Like Steve, I mean, we'll get to Lindor stuff in a second, he said. He said he still follows peating him on the box score every day. I believe it. He likes some of most people. He just didn't sign him and all specifically is like people killing those decisions. Let's let the time go and see how they should be evaluated. He say a lot more day than information.
Speaker 1: He also talked a lot about how they didn't they still don't feel like they have the organizational mobility because of long term contracts that they want to get off of, and also because of the minor league's younger have underperformed or been injured this year, which was something that you say, He's quite disappointed in it.
Speaker 2: He says, specifically our minor leagues have regressed. But then he also gave the credit to how many young players are on this roster and are performing well, which I think that is a piece of this too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are like really playing up the MLB pipeline thing that the Mets only had Jonahtang on there and nobody else. We did graduate a bunch of dudes like right now, Yeah, and like think about I'll pull up our roster resource for a second just.
Speaker 2: Because of this. And again also people will pull up that our average age, I be this small reference is one of the highest in the league. But at the same time, like Nolan McLain, AJW and Carson Bench are like disgusting building blocks and one so though we will only be twenty eight when next season begins. Yes, whatever you want to say about Francisco Alvarez there's lots of teams in Major League Baseball that would take him if you gave him away, in which case we're not going to give him away. Should I think we're really starting actually get close to the point where an extension actually will come into focus for Francisco Avaraus, which would be so funny how that's taken in by fans. But he's not even twenty five, So those not even twenty eight. Benj is twenty three, is twenty one. He's hearing twenty two next month. Yep. And again, not gonna talk about the other young guys there, but no, no, no, no, no. McLain and Christian Scott are both going to be in this rotation for a very long time. And again I would like more young talent, yes, but that is a good chunk of young talent twenty eight years old under on the major league roster. There's a there's a core being built there. Yeah, it's relative core being built. Who the next piece of that core are going to be not totally sure, but sure, Okay, now Lin Doran sor though yes.
Speaker 1: Uh Steve Cohen's comments, I wish I wish he kept his fucking mouth shut, because he just he just confirmed that there was issues last year between them.
Speaker 2: He did, he confirmed it. He said, you'd believe strongly that Lindoran so though getting along much better. And then he lamented the fact that Sherman asked a question about the clubhouse chemistry because he said that was last year's story.
Speaker 1: I mean, positive spin spin zone not a problem this year, not bad at all.
Speaker 2: Seems like it's okay. One thing that's not Two things that are not an issue, Boba Schek's defense at third base one. So then physical door friends also, you know what, they haven't spent that much time together. No, they really haven't. That could also be part of it.
Speaker 1: But fourteen games now officially negative spin zone seems like there was an issue last year.
Speaker 2: That's Who's that a bigger uh smudge on Lindor or Soto or Carlos Mendoza, more Carlos Mendez or David Sterns Stephen go I think it's a bad look on all of them. Saw this in our comment section. We didn't even talk about it.
Speaker 1: How Chavez would talk about, seemingly how often he would go over Carlos Mendoz's head for this great leader, Carlos Mendez that's why he was the wrong guy. Shouldn't have been fired, right, But yet all his coaches consistently go.
Speaker 2: Over his head. Yeah, Eric Shavis send he emails the entire organization and then questioning Davis serins as to why I want so they'll get special treatment. Yeah, it's crazy. And again, but I also again we talked about this from Francisco Lindor's perspective. Yeah, this guy comes in, he's making twice as much money as you. You had just led this team to the best finish they've had in.
Speaker 1: A decade, and now all of a sudden, the biggest ovation on opening day is the new guy who was playing across town and then also for a division right and would beat the piss out of you, And now all of a sudden he gets special treatment. He's not asked to be a leader, even though he makes up all the money and he's one of the best players in baseball, with all his pressures on you with the media and everything you have to do with the young players. And then in the middle of that season, your owner, the guy we're talking about right now, publicly says there will never be a captain. While he's the owner of this team, while there was a league video that looked like it showed that they were going to turn over captain see from David Wright to Francisco Lindor jel knowing that Wan Soto might have been a little bit MOPy about making seven hundred and fifty million dollars with the New York Mets over the first month.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't want to make my seven hundred million. I can connect the dots. It does seem like there was And again also the Adam of if you just think about Nimo being like, why am I not the captain? I'm sure he was like, why am I not the captain? It wasn't doesn't seem like it was a good clubhouse last year. No, it seems like it was a mess. Yeah, some other funny things here. Sherman was right up front with him about CBA stuff. Yeah, and Cohen I liked his answer. He said, whatever the rules are, we'll play by him. It doesn't matter to me. He goes, I'm a league first guy. And then Sherman's like, Joe, don't you feel mad that you spent this much money on this team? Now you can't play by the rules you thought you were gonna play with He's like, hey man, and then Cohen gave another great comment earlier he was like, my life's going great except for one thing. So I feel sometimes yeah, no, I mean, honestly, life is great except for the New York Mets. Except for one thing. Knicks won the NBAH finals. I did did the JFK driving back today. One of the worst things you could ever do in New York. But driving through rural like world, I said, rural driving to residential Queens. I couldn't believe. I mean, Nick's flags around porch and of course let's go nick. Uh. One more thing that he said is a I think he was trying to build a little bit of an arms length between him and Stearns. Yeah, I think so. He made a comment about the regression in the farm system this year and said, people tell me development's not linear. Yes, that's like, oh, okay, I mean that's also I feel like he's a little tongue in cheek too, because like Cohen knows that he's not a baseball guy, So like I have people telling me that this it's not linear. I think that's he loves to stir the pot to Steve cull he's a troll, a little bit of a provocatory. Mentioned the incident with a fans on Twitter. He's like, yeah, once the anti Semitic things get the thrown around, I'm probab gonna turn the app off. That's fair. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that either if I was Jewish. Now and he mentioned the fan getting kicked out on Friday Nights with the fire Star, what do you say? I didn't hear that? He said, where is it right here? Supposedly the person was bligering. I wasn't there. That's when my people told me, I suppose this person's bligering. You can have any sign to whatever you want. But if you're ruining someone else time at the ballpark and someone's gonna.
Speaker 1: Have to step in, Yeah, I mean, we know about another person that was on social media that has been bligering at games and thrown out, and then the stories move based on that guy's point of view.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it can definitely change a lot. But again, that's all. I don't think that the Mets are heavily censoring this kind of stuff. You'd be shocked usually when and this is actually happening right now in baseball very different context. But usually when there's a dilemma and the two options are someone being really awful and someone is being really stupid, most times it's just stupid and not the really awful. Sometimes it is the awful, of course. Kenby, Yeah, definitely can be. Don't don't ignore that. There's other things that are coming into play, but that's most likely what happens here. I think that's pretty much it for for the show, right, Yeah, I think that's it for the show. Yeah. I love sometimes. I love how foward Steve Cohen will be.
Speaker 1: I also hate it sometimes, but I guess that's what happens when your owner is so candid to the media. Really wish that Lindor Soto thing never came out, though, I wish we just kept that through ourselves.
Speaker 2: We all kind of thought it so in the last week now one so he was gonna have to answer questions about his relationship with the Francis g Lindor getting better and the special treatment that he allegedly received that was matted off by his former co hitting coach.
Speaker 1: Loved his response when he got asked about you I heard about it, no comment.
Speaker 2: He's like, go fuck yourself.
Speaker 1: Eric no one zugged themselves a bigger hole than Eric Schoppas over the past week.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: That's that's for sure. He'll never work in major league baseball again. Absolutely will never work in major league baseballgain. I don't even know if he could work for like a college team at this point. It seems like he might be coaching his kids if they're still that young.
Speaker 2: But as long as Chris Hamblin's around that they're gonna find success.
Speaker 1: Did you watch him sing the Star Spangled Banner A sensational I mean, voice of an angel. So that's the voice of a generation. Michael Jackson, move over there, Chris amblance songbirds.
Speaker 2: Two more mans here to give you guys something positive. The hanger hats on, No, I'm clean, look good. The spinners were spinning, the curveball was spinning. The sweeper was still kind of all over the place, but the curve ball was back. Finally, it's what's his like?
Speaker 1: Arm angle is a little bit sloppy because it seems like the slider is getting a little slurvy, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: More drop on it.
Speaker 1: It's not necessarily that's more drop, but I think that even maybe that the way that he's releasing it could be different because in this game quite less drop on it.
Speaker 2: It was lifting more. So I think that could be a symptom of him dropping the arm bang a little lower. Yeah, yeah, that could be the case. Again, maybe that's an issue where where he has the curveball, because he kind of gets under that curveball too, because that curveball. So is that curveball slurvy? Yeah, it's very too plainy. But he attacked his own. A lot of guys in his Blue Jats team seemed like they struggled with fastballs. He didn't really have an issue throwing them, especially late in the count. He got some strike with them. He just looked like a dog on the mound. Again, this year is about taking things with us and something to take with us. Hopefully he's Nolan McLain being great. Love the mustache.
Speaker 1: Mustache was great, dog move love the must I mean that's something that we've talked about a lot before where it's like you see a guy shave his head, you see a guy shave the beard.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Hey, some I'm up change something up because it ain't working. And I think McLain kind of said.
Speaker 2: The same thing, he goes.
Speaker 1: I thought it looked good, but it obviously it really matters how I played, and I played pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another funny thing here again taking something with us on aj Ewing just continues to impress me every single day, so good with how he plays. We've also gotten the hints, I don't know if you heard it the other night that with Louise Robert coming through Triple A aj Ewing they said, since he came to the league and while he was in Triple A this year, has been taking ground balls at second base. Love that really like that.
Speaker 1: But his arm is so good in the outfield that I don't necessarily know if I want to lose it. Which God turned hople plays, I mean God turned double plays. But it feels like, truthfully, the best way to go about it, right is, I mean, Louise Robert's gonna play still maybe three times a week just because the injury stuff where you gotta trade him. And then also at the same time, like Ewing and left Robert and center Benjin right DH Soto for the time being.
Speaker 2: Talking to me, I'm fine with that. You know what else I would even tell one? So though, did you see that glove over there with the round and ed just a little bit longer. Once you try one of those on, why don't we just pulled the rip this bandit off and give that a shot to point again, he's been slightly below average in the afield this year. Don't look at the first play. It happened on Monday. But you don't really want to do that with your investment. He might not want to change positions yet and clearly he's getting some special treatment this organization, so we can't really do much about that, but specifically about you. Despite him having like a decent series with the bat again, bring up the season averages, way up that at bat he took against Louis Varland in the game on Monday, especially juxtaposed the two guys were in this organization for a very long time, might not be much longer. And Mark Fientos and Ronni Maricio who had no fucking chance whatsoever. Ryan Risio, he struck out three pitches, maybe it was four. He was like, I am swinging right here. I will now that I will not change my mind. You can clearly tell when the game is too fast for a guy like Ronny Mauricio, where often yes adriw Ewing. After he got blown away by the first pitch, he immediately stepped out and regathered himself. Yes, Ronny Marisio got put down two and he just like ah, and he didn't He didn't step out, he didn't call time. He just let the third pitch happen to him. Clear sign of a guy who somehow is still not ready. Yeah he's uh, he's bad. Yeah he's not.
Speaker 1: I've officially lost hope in Ronnie Mauricio.
Speaker 2: It's just not gonna happen here. No. Wow, Belgium scored the goal extra time in one Wow, they beat set a goal. They scored two to eighty six and eighty eighth.
Speaker 1: I know that's a team that has no that really was on its last legs there.
Speaker 2: They looked horrible.
Speaker 1: The entire World Cup not a World Cup podcast, baseball podcast.
Speaker 2: I just I just I just popped up inside of my Twitter. I was just like shocked by it. But seeing Asria Ewing be able to take those very very professional play appearances against statistically the best closing the league this year. But you want to know, in Louis Arland, it's it's really cool to see really encouraging Steve mentioned it too. He mentioned sometimes you don't know when the next great prospect is gonna pop out of nowhere. I think he was kind of alluding to you probably yeah, or maybe Kleine Ramirez in the DSL right now, who knows, but if Steve's locked in there. But it's as interesting. I also do want to call out something happening in baseball that it coincides with Freddy pearlt sucking. It's not the reason Fredday Pearl to sacking, but the baseball is different. Right now, we're getting we've been getting twenty nineteen baseballs for the last four weeks. You know, Sara's has some good reporting on it. I think a guy named Zelen Sean Zellen with the Action networked to something on it as well, so that yes, imagely Baseball commented like, yeah, we know, we don't know why they sent.
Speaker 1: The manufacturers, that there's an inconsistency in the manufacturing. Yet I go, why are there so many inconsistencies?
Speaker 2: Somehow the inconsistency has been very consistent. Yeah, it means the balls flying out, even that Seawan Key's home run today, that's not that that wasn't a fucking home run. That was bullshit that one.
Speaker 1: It looked like he flared it at first, like caught apparel, but like he didn't.
Speaker 2: It was twenty nineteen home run. Yeah, that was a twenty nineteen homer.
Speaker 1: It was almost like the Scott Kangary home run where he got jammed and went out to right field.
Speaker 2: So again, not the reason. It's been a bad stretch for both know them claim and Freddy Peralta not the reason definitely, and Paul Skins definitely making things sales. Have had a couple of not the best starts ever that Brace team.
Speaker 1: Stinking it up this time it might be might be time for our series preview big shout out of course. Today's episode of Mets Up is brought to you by FanDuel.
Speaker 2: Baseball Fans.
Speaker 1: The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers.
Speaker 2: Joining the action is easy.
Speaker 1: Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why Fandel is the home of home runs. James, will we be looking.
Speaker 2: At this this weekend against the Atlanta Braves. Well this weekend, I'm gonna pull off the pitching matchups for you guys in a second, so we could figure out which matt I mean again Brace teams struggling right now, but which Mets pitchers didn't get the longest home run for Matt Olson. I mean, Christians does struggle against left eas o the picks matt Oles and that's the obvious one. Maddles is gonna crush him and one so though maybe Ozzie obviously he loves to kill us, and he's playing better this year. Door on there. He's been hitting home ro swing the bat better, loves playing in Atlanta, loves playing in Atlanta. Yeah, so I was like, Mets, some Braves, let's let's play some ball. Who cares?
Speaker 1: So you're ready to play your game, head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Two teams met some Braves in tremendous amounts of flux. Right now, the Braves are finally kind of coming back down to earth in a way work. They are only two and a half games as of recording up on the Philadelphia Phillies in the division, which is I don't have crazy. I don't hear anyone in the media going crazy about the Braves blowing a twelve game lead inside of the first half, like I remember once a ten game lead over the course of three and a half months being blown.
Speaker 1: Well, James, it's because they're not the Mets. Did you forget that? Because the record is still good.
Speaker 2: I did forget that. So let's go back all the way. Three weeks the Braves got swept two games to the White Sox if you remember, lost the series to the Mets when we were in free fall, got swept two games against the Giants, two rainouts in there, won a series against the Brewers, swept by the Padres lost the series to the Giants. Lost bad teams. Yes, lost to the Cardinals, yestually playing them again tonight, playing them again tomorrow. Man.
Speaker 1: So since June first, basically, I think they've been one of the worst teams of baseball.
Speaker 2: In the month of June. I think it's been the Reds, the Mets, and like the Braves, absolutely one of the worst teams in baseball since the speginning of June. Hate to see it.
Speaker 1: Hope we can continue that, because even though our season's over, I would love to play spoiler and just completely fuck the Braves, but.
Speaker 2: Then we help the family. So again, it doesn't really matter. The best outcome here. The most amicable thing we can do is go split two two, No, win them all, win them all, right, the win them all, take them down when we get the opportunity. Look what the Red Sox just did this weekend against against the Yankees. Just just just beat your rival, take your challenge to step up and say something. I mean, well, there was a fight, there was a mess, there was a whole, a whole convoluted array of errors. But as of right now, the pitching matchups, we're gonna have to throw someone else into this slot this weekend. I don't know who's going to be. It's gonna be Christian Scott Friday, and probably Sean Manyah Saturday or Sunday. Past that, I'm not entirely sure what's gonna happen. I don't think Sackdorrton was sent down. Sure Zach Dorton was sent down, he would have made sense. Tobias Myers probably gets bulk innings here at some point because he last pitched that was Monday. Maybe you can get some innings at some point. Yeah, because anything gets mintings at some point. I mean Nolan McLain will pitch also Sunday or Monday. I mean, so it's Nolan can probably pitch a Sunday because that's his fifth day. We'll have to fill it out and then I don't know Wednesday night. I guess if everyone stays on track, we'll get Scott Manaia McLain, Freddy Prawlta with the off day, and if we'll get those, we'll get those four guys. Let's beat the braves. Who gives a fuck? Yeah, let's beat them. That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Again, we're gonna be watching these games and I've enjoyed watching the Mets again, not because it's fun baseball, but because I have a different perspective on the season now. I'm not getting upset when they lose, like Freddy prolt Is stunk. Wow, this guy stinks. I'm mad because it's gonna hurt his trade value. But at the same time, don't care the season's over. I'm not like, ah, we're almost back in it. That's why, Like the fake rage I'm seeing on Twitter from people is absolutely insane right now. No, it's hard to live like that, honestly, Yeah, like life is worth living and watching the summer. Getting mad on July first, when there's sixteen games under five hundred just ain't it. But I am gonna take some solace and if we beat the Braves, I can't wait. I hope we beat the Braves. I'm excited to beat the Braves. We just took a series off them and they're playing bad baseball. And when you look at this lineup, the glass cannon thing is happening right now where Matt Olsen's incredible, Brucio Dubond's been incredible.
Speaker 2: It's five home runs in the month of June. That's absolutely insane. The rest of his lineup is ice cold. You can't wait the Recar Dubond month. If you're the Braves, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: No, it's kind of crazy that they have because I mean, looking at this, Mike Rostremsky's completely been Tom Smith has been absolutely toast.
Speaker 2: Austin Riley fallof needs to be studied. Yeah, there's not enough conversations about that. I feel like, here's enough conversation about the fucking Braves. We're going three years now. Roustin Riley has barely been able to get as high above average as a major league average hither and now this year, he's one of the worst hitters in baseball. Cistically, he's flirting with Brett Baity numbers at the plate and at the same time as in zone swing and misses kind of shooting up like a rock. His own swing rate is falling. It's a various Trains situation. Drake Baldwin has been cold since coming out the injured list. Michael Harris had a great bounce back season. Ronaldo Lopez is back and he's on the mound right now. I see guys on base. In the first sitting against him, he was pouring his return last week as well, ass that everyone knew Bryce out there was gonna wind up being asked not Maddicks. Now's the easy, easiest call of all time right there, and like this thing's been held together by Martin Perez. He's been fucking awesome. Four two ra over twenty five innings of the month of June is huge for Martin Perez. July fifth, Sunday was times our game with them. Sunday twelve Peacock twelve thirty. Wow, so Sunday, but also series ending on Mondays. We probably just mark, can I take the fourth of July this weekend?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Get you podcast? Yeah, Tuesday morning, we're getting a podcast, you guys, because we're gonna way for the entire series to end unless something else crazy happens that maybe we'll do an emergency, but that means Sunday the slate twelve thirty Mets Braves with all the baseball starting at one forty four o'clock Brazil, Norway, eight o'clock England, Mexico. Let's go.
Speaker 1: You got the England kid on right now? Well, England is it coming home?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She doesn't listening to this podcast, no way, but We're in the roof, gonna cheer ass off till it gets there. Yeah, I mean, I got no, let's go Portugal. That's what i'mrooving for. So they played tomorrow, right, play tomorrow. Yeah, it's a big game also at noon? Right?
Speaker 1: Uh no, they played seven I think oh okay, late late night game for that. But that's all we got, right, we got Frankie Peppers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably got frank What Frankie's got for us? I just I just want to have some fun watching baseball again. Fourth of July.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to enjoy watching the Mets with some beers in the pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have the average of the annual Shiano Bash on the fourth July. Wow, three percent. But I'm prying around today, might be cutting off Frankie here. Now we got Frankie. We got Frankie. Also, just want to let you guys know, shout out we're talking about Matt's Carlson does before horrible tragedy in Venezuela last week. There are lots of entry points for donations around New York. I know specifically there's a great Azuelan restaurant that Mark and I both love, Casto Aurra. So they are running a massive donation box every single day at their sister Cafe Lula on Graham Avenue. If anyone lives anywhere in North Brooklyn, great time to donate some canned goods, blanket shirts, anything. Yes, venezuela, Here comes Frankie.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, this is Frankie Pepper. Say you know, it's still at work being worked to the bone today, gentlemen. And then, just like the New York Mets keep getting worked to the bone because they keep losing games. So uh, miss Frankie's hot sauce steak for the day, the Blue Jays are served today because it was Canad of the day. All right, boys, I hope you have a hope you have a happy Fourth of July. I don't know if I'm gonna speak to you before then. Don't blow off any limbs of fingers of toes with fireworks. And my hot take is that my second hot take is that, uh, just go to a fireworks show where they go far away in thefore. You can have some ice cream and watch fireworks. Don't go to the firework Showre's too many CAUs. All right, gentlemen, take care, Let's go Mets.
Speaker 1: I suppose I'm with Frankie. Love watching the firework, don't care to set them off. Yeah, I did you ever have a phase?
Speaker 2: No, I was never a pyro kid. I had a little phase jacka che I could see that. Yeah, between the ages of like thirteenth of fifteen ish thirteen, four eighth great freshman year of high school, I I little fireworks.
Speaker 1: I don't know why or how, but I was terrified that I was going to be the one who got their hand blown off.
Speaker 2: But there was a dude who lived on my block who somehow access to tons of fireworks, and it was just it was too cheap to resist. That's fair, but yeah, not for me. I like watching them, not sending them off. That's it, guys. Thank you for listening. Thank you for watching Mets up podcast.
Speaker 1: Subscribe on YouTube, Apple podcast, Google, Spotify, wherever you get them download, give us a review. You can follow James on social media at James I'm draftick Mark. Catch you guys on the next one.
Speaker 2: Peace out, peace out, guys. Let's call him Mets