Speaker 1: It's podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arthan. Today we're joined by a room full of Jabroni's. We've got a list of Kaid, Corey, Marge, Nate and Jake Wallace and Sarah. Jake, this is your first time on the show. Tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the wholesale and retail marketing manager for Meat Eater, Flight and FHF and DSc. When they need help, so I help out a lot of our dealers, so Shields and some of the mom and pops. But a big part of my job right now is rolling up the new store in a Dinah or Minneapolis location. And I get the other locations dialed in for the Meat Eater store.
Speaker 2: Very excited that one's going to open in August. August August fifteenth, Great State of Man Party. What are your strengths and weak is when it comes to Meat Eater Trivia, Hunting, fishing, conservation, cooking.
Speaker 4: I think uh, I think huntings.
Speaker 3: Hunting is good, conservation strong depending on where you steer the ship, though, if you get too deep into fishing or somewhere else.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be It's gonna be rough.
Speaker 2: Okay, you and Nat'll get along, Jarryes. This is a ten round quizz show with questions for meat Eater's four verticals, which again are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking. There is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and meat Eater Trivia is brought to you by one of my favorite beers, bush Light bush Light Head for the Mountains. All right, we have a mail bag question today. If you have a question you want the crew to answer, send your question to Trivia at the meadeater dot com with the subject line mail bag. This is from Andrew Robinson. What's the most unique or gross wild game that you've eaten?
Speaker 4: What do we got? I got one?
Speaker 5: I shot a I gut shot at a dough one time and found it the next morning, super sad. But we skinned it out. And when we're pulling the back, like the skin off the back, that silver skin on the backstrap just came right off and I touched it and my finger just went through the backstrap.
Speaker 4: And so we tried to eat it.
Speaker 2: You can imagine its What did it taste? I just just meat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like that. I mean imagine like licking the inside of your stomach.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what it tastes, all right, I'll think about that other unique or gross wild game in the room. What do we got?
Speaker 6: I got a long list of unique shit.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 6: Uh so part of my plate.
Speaker 2: March is there for all the episodes.
Speaker 6: So Bobcat, coote, crow, coyote, skunk also had alligator here, I've had walrus and I've had seal.
Speaker 2: That's a unique list. It's gonna be hard to beat, Marge.
Speaker 3: I think alligators definitely. It's a finicky one. I shot like a ten foot a couple of years ago.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 4: We tried like everything to make that thing taste good.
Speaker 3: And there's a reason why they fry it, like, yeah, you gotta grind it, put it in chilly or give a little.
Speaker 2: Love for shure. I'ned off by the taste of alligator. But the textures always pretty pretty tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you get away from the tail, like the front legs and the back legs, it's uh, it's.
Speaker 2: Grainy to see anything else jake, besides gator that has been hard to swallow.
Speaker 4: Try to eat starlings once starlings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my father in law has a giant mulberry tree, and so I'd go under there and shoot them with the twenty two and felt guilty for my pile and gave it a try and it. There's a reason. There's a reason why there's a billion of those things going around.
Speaker 2: Other other answers.
Speaker 7: We had some grossing clients last year and they wanted to make like their traditional Russian like fish head soup.
Speaker 8: Oh and the lady, like the head lady. Apparently she was like the bill Dance of Russia.
Speaker 6: She was like, pro.
Speaker 2: Fisherman falls off. I love that.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, that never fell out. But she's like, nope, I don't need any help. I don't. She's breaked up all her own stuff.
Speaker 7: Anyway, they'd make this suit by like boiling fish heads, whole salmon carcasses in there, just pick all the meat off. But she would eat the boiled heads after they've cooled off, and they're just all freaking coagulated. Man, if you can imagine the head of a buck's silver salmon, just.
Speaker 8: With a big type and all pulvus. Yeah. She just start the nose and work her way back and just cartilage, teeth, everything.
Speaker 2: Did you take a bite?
Speaker 7: I got suckered into it. Okay, She's like everyone in Russia does it. And I was like, oh, well, you know, just being polite. Took a big old chomp and everyone started laughing. I was like, all right, just got suckered into that.
Speaker 8: Even the other guides were in on it.
Speaker 2: It's no good. As Marge said, during the part of my plate days, we had a lot of unique things. The two worst, though, were the skunk and the goldfish. And you might be like, well, goldfish, it's not wild game. They're now found in forty nine to fifty states, like you know, they're more widespread than the white tailed deer. But the skunk and goldfish, there's no needy, no reason to try to eat one of those.
Speaker 6: Skunk was so bad.
Speaker 2: It was bad, tasted like it like.
Speaker 6: It smelled yeah, and it was so dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if you got a nose, you don't need to try skunk. Any other answers for an drew before we move on.
Speaker 4: I had some Carl Carl it's uh futrefied shark and Iceland.
Speaker 9: Oh gross, ye Microphonalista.
Speaker 4: Please sorry, I forgot uh.
Speaker 6: We had a podcast guest in the old office. We had the whale. I forget about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what was your review of the fermented whale was not my favorite.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a little hard to to get down, but fever. I don't know how unique that is, but in this.
Speaker 2: Office it's not unique. But you know, globally, there's not a lot of folks eating that, So that that's that one works all right for housekeeping. Today, we've had a few listeners tell us that their podcasts are cutting out part way through meat Eater shows. Phil is here to help. Phil, what you got?
Speaker 9: I hope, I'm here to help.
Speaker 10: So you may have heard that podcasts are TV shows now, and in the spirit of that, Apple has a video feature on there on their app, and we started putting our meti Eater shows on.
Speaker 9: Apple Podcasts as video.
Speaker 10: But the thing that happens when we do that is that the file sizes are twenty times larger than the MP three's that we used to do. If you're on Spotify or a different platform, you're probably not running into this issue because you're still only downloading the audio file. But if you are on Apple podcasts and either have bad cell service or not enough room on your phone, or your just the show is skipping around. There is a really annoying solution that will remain annoying until some iOS update in the future. You can download audio only on Apple podcasts, but you can only do it if automatic downloads are turned on. I'm a manual downloader, and I'm a lot of you are as well.
Speaker 9: But if to.
Speaker 10: Reduce the file size, the only way to change that is to go to the show setting. So if you go to the met eater podcast like podcast page in your podcast app, you go to the upper right hand corner, there's an ellipses. There three dots to click on that go to show settings, scroll down to automatic downloads and you can turn that on. And there's some you can turn it on, like to only download the most recent episode or the most recent five, or whatever however you want to do it. And then right below that it'll say download audio only or it'll say download video, and that's set to off. I don't know why it only works with automatic downloads on Apple podcasts. That seems like an insane oversight. Send your complaints. To at Tim Cook. But until if there's a future iOS update, the only way to download audio only and reduce those file sizes is to turn on automatic downloads and set download video to off. And if that changes in the future, we'll update you here.
Speaker 2: I guess okay, fill to the rescue. Thank you Phil. The Shelby Index for today is a five, putting us some perfect score. Alert. With that, we're on at the game of trivia. Play the drop fill no.
Speaker 9: Signs.
Speaker 6: Wow, you just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Question one the topic is cooking. This first great question is via Brian Purcer. Which of these is not considered one of the Big six food born illnesses? Is it botulism, Salmonila e coli or neurovirus? This is from the USDA. They have compiled what they call the Big six food born illnesses, So it's three of these a part of the Big six. One of them is not. Is it botulism, salmonilla e coli or neurovirus?
Speaker 4: Wait to stick with some current events, Yes, and.
Speaker 10: Just I want to add one more thing onto the last. Sorry to change topics here, Spencer, but just to add one more thing. I'm sure a lot of people are like well, why are you doing this if there's so many tech issues and it's not working, and just to be a transparent company. Man here, it's honestly, it's been good for our shows so a lot. We have new audiences that are fighting the shows because Apple is pushing their video stuff more.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 10: You know, I don't know if you've heard. It's hard to run a media company in the year twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: And we we gotta do what we gotta do. And as a consumer, I like having the video feed in the podcast option. We're gonna get it figured out again. Which of these is not considered one of the Big six food borne illnesses botulism, sealmonilla coli, neuro virus. Is everybody ready, let's do it. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey and Alyssa and Sarah and Cade say neurovirus, Marge says, what's it say March norovirus, Nate, Nora virus, Jake, no revirus. The whole room got it a wrong. The correct answer is due.
Speaker 4: That's a classic right there.
Speaker 2: According to the USDA, the Big six, the food born illnesses are selmonilla, typhoid, Shigella E. Coli, norovirus and hepatitis A. Only about one hundred and fifty Americans get botulism each year, with a quarter of those being from contaminated food. The most common way to get botulism is from food. From food is by eating canned goods that were improperly preserved.
Speaker 4: But don't you die if you get botulism?
Speaker 2: I think it's a serious uh thing to get, but it's just not common. Again, only one hundred and fifty people get it, and only about a quarter of those are from food.
Speaker 5: So it's like a it's an occurrence thing, not a like serious thing.
Speaker 2: I think it's in our universe a lot more because we just work a lot with preserving meat. It's most common when you're trying to preserve meat because it doesn't have acid, so you need to use a pressure canner. That's why everyone thought that had to be one of the Big six question too. The topic is hunting. This term is defined as quote a psychological and neurological condition in archery where anxiety over hitting the bullseye causes a breakdown in the shot process.
Speaker 4: Dude, I got it bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll hear more from Nate, I thought after the answer is revealed. Maybe that's how you fix it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, there's a different reason I got shot.
Speaker 2: This term is defined as a psychological and neurological condition in archery, where anxiety over hitting the bullseye causes a breakdown in the shot process.
Speaker 4: Is it are you doing? Are you throwing us? Easy to Broni questions.
Speaker 2: I tried to get the Shelby index to a five, and we achieved that so that our Jabroni's can have a fun, high scoring game on.
Speaker 4: My wife will not You can't hear me because of that.
Speaker 2: But you tell you that stat only one hundred and fifty people in order of those are from.
Speaker 3: Foods, she will think that she will undoubtedly be one of the one hundred and fifty people.
Speaker 2: When we're on question to the topic is hunting. This term is defined as a psychological and neurological condition in archery word anxiety over hitting the bullseye causes a breakdown in the shot process. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? Corey says buck fever, Alyssa says trigger finger, Sarah target paralysis, Caade, target panic, Marge Buck Fever, Nate target panic, Jake target panic, the correct answer is target panic. Oh, I think we had three of arge Broni's get that one right. Target panic can cause flinching, freezing, or misfiring. It's estimated that ninety percent of archers have experienced it at some point. For tips on dealing with this issue, go read Mark Kenyon's article on the medeater dot com called how to Fix target panic in three Steps.
Speaker 7: I shot four eh archery grown up my instructor, so we shot the Vegas three spot targets and if we would if we flinched at all when we were shooting our bow hunter with the mechanical releases, he would hit us in the back of the thighs with an arrow.
Speaker 2: Hey, what does target panic look like for you?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: Just absolute sadness, terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The most common way I would experience is just like you kind of don't even know what's gonna happen, but like you just like flinch, like or Cade was describing, and they're like, what's going on? My brain wasn't communicating with my body. It's weird to sage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need you to come by my house and whip me in the morning.
Speaker 8: He's aluminum arrows too, not the carbons some.
Speaker 2: Old school learning question three. The topic is outdoors. This next great question is via Nolan plok check what month does daylight savings time end? Oh?
Speaker 4: Very topical, very.
Speaker 2: What month does daylight savings time end? This is not a trick question. The answer isn't like no month, it's when it ends. It's one of our twelve months? What month does daylight savings time?
Speaker 4: And I'm from Arizona?
Speaker 2: Is anybody confident in this one? Corey?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I finally got one right.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm sugging when it starts?
Speaker 2: And what month does daylight savings time end? Alyssa? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm struggling.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 9: I think I know that too much.
Speaker 2: The room is waffling. Does anybody know they have this one?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: A lot of maybes in the room. What month does a light savings time?
Speaker 5: And I can't remember when it starts? Or I mean, I don't know which one is with ye? And I'm confused on the months and.
Speaker 4: Your phone just switches for you. What do you gotta worry about anymore?
Speaker 8: Dude?
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to think.
Speaker 5: M Yeah, when I'm deer hunting and like it's cool and you can get out out and work, and then it's not relating to that thing I can't remember. Everybody ready, lots of hints today.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says November, Alyssa October, Sarah April, Cad March, March, December, Nate September, Jake November. There is a correct answer in the room. It's November. We had Cory and Jake. It's that one right, and Kate if he wouldn't have crossed it out because I keep thinking like Daylight Savings Time begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November. This year, those dates fall on March eighth and November first. Earlier this month, the House of Representatives past the Sunshine Protection Act, which would make daylight Savings Time permanent. Next it will head to the Senate and then to President Trump. Trump has signaled that he will sign the bill if it makes it to his desk, calling the act a quote very nice win for the Republican Party. And as Nate talked about, it affects your deer hunting. In fall, there was one thing I cared about in college as far as like getting me to write an email to a politician, and it was to get them to end daylight savings or keep it so that the sun was rising later because the bars stay open the same amount, So when the bar is open till two am, I'm gonna be there till two am, but now I have to get up an hour earlier when the clocks change. That got me to write some emails, and here we are, like thirteen years later. Maybe it's going to pay off.
Speaker 11: I read something where they tried it in a couple stay like northern States, and they ended up rolling it back because like kids walking to school, they were like incidents with cars and kids we're having to like use flashlights to get to school in the morning.
Speaker 2: If you've seen some of the maps, we're gonna be like in the most affected area, we're gonna have sunrises after nine am for a period. Not a lot of the country will experience that, but will be in like this small minority.
Speaker 6: Of Arizona never has adopted Arizona.
Speaker 2: I think the Navajo Nation does. It can get very confusing over there, but yeah, I think Arizona doesn't participate at all. Question for the topic is woodsmanship. This ten letter word is defined as quote a trail with a sharp zigzagging route used to safely ascend or descend steep hills. The room has their mojo back. This ten letter word is defined as a trail with a sharp zigzagging route used to safely ascend or descend steve hills.
Speaker 11: When you're hiking up in northern New England, none of the t have these.
Speaker 2: You're looking at like there's.
Speaker 6: A short cut, you know, I would rather just go straight up and yeah, kisses me off, and then am I.
Speaker 11: Let's just get it over with like all at in May and is all just like not not one of them.
Speaker 2: Marge is someone who takes the shortcut. Then they have to put the sign up later saying don't take the shortcut. You got to stay on this thing. Ten letter word is defined as a trail with a sharp zigzagging route used to safely ascend or descend steep hills.
Speaker 8: So I'm saying that this is more of a Western theme.
Speaker 11: I have encountered them more in the West than I ever did out east.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers? Cory switchback alyssa switchback the whole room says switch back. The whole room got it right. The correct answer is switchback. Switchbacks are designed to make trails more grad when in a steep area. Ancient humans use them too. Popular. Hiking trails in Canyonlands National Park and the Columbia River Gorge that featured dozens of switchbacks follow historical travel routes that Native Americans used. First Question five, the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Clayton Hines. This man, who has hosted an ABC talk show since two thousand and three, owns a luxury fly fishing lodge in Idaho.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: The room is stumped. This man, who has hosted an ABC talk show since two thousand and three, owns a luxury fly fishing lodge in Idaho. This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Filled the engineer after this.
Speaker 6: Spencer. I was at a wedding recently, and you know, it was later in the nights. People had some drinks and this guy walked up to me. I think he finally like had the cur ridge to come talk to me because he recognized me for meat eater. And you're really bad at triviah.
Speaker 2: Did you tell him At first, I.
Speaker 6: Was like, man, I'm just like I said, moab utah. I just wasn't like thinking about and I was like, what is he talking about? And then I was like, oh, yes, I am.
Speaker 2: What a kind person.
Speaker 6: So I appreciate being included in. I think he would too.
Speaker 2: This man, who has hosted an ABC talk show since two thousand and three, owns a luxury guy fishing lodge in Idaho. I think Nate is the only person who likes his answer.
Speaker 7: This one.
Speaker 2: Right. I have an ABC talk show host that I almost took fishing once. Oh okay, well dude, he canceled. He canceled on. So if he owns a fishing lodge, wow, better treat guy. Okay, what a revelation from Corey's past life as a fly fishing guide.
Speaker 4: Was it a past life?
Speaker 2: M still living in it? Brother?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's more of my problems.
Speaker 11: Let's show is it like Good Morning America?
Speaker 2: You're like.
Speaker 11: That kind of thing.
Speaker 2: This man, who has hosted an ABC talk show since two thousand and three owns a luxury fly fishing lodge in Idaho.
Speaker 6: Jerry Springer, Maury, I.
Speaker 2: Don't everybody read also consider a talk show?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 9: The audience talks.
Speaker 2: I think we're waiting on Sarah and Alyssa.
Speaker 4: My answer is making me laugh.
Speaker 2: On find on a good sign, Sarah.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna take what I have.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna write the fly Fishing Extraordinary over there.
Speaker 11: I'm not in the luxury fly fishing tax bra.
Speaker 4: I would have preferred a different network would have been better.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says Jimmy Kimmel, Alyssa, Tucker Carlson, Sarah al Roker Cade, Matt Lauer, Marge, Jimmy Kimmel, Nate, Tom Brokaw, Jake, Brian Gumbel. The correct answer is Jimmy Kimmel and March got that one right.
Speaker 11: I didn't notice.
Speaker 2: Kimmel bought the South Fork Lodge near Swan Valley, Idaho, in twenty twenty for an estimated eight million dollars. Their website brags of quote, top notch service, unmatched amenities, and unexpectedly fine dining. Kimmel is an avid fly anger, FI angler and a board member of the conservation group American Rivers. Here is a picture that he posted on Facebook in twenty eighteen. He said he caught that cutthroat thirty miles deep into Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. That could have been with you, Corey. It could have been you holding that camera. Dink hm hm, Phil. Halfway through the game of trivia scoreboard update, it's a pretty good game.
Speaker 9: We got going on.
Speaker 10: Sarah and Alyssa holding it down with one point, Cade, Maggie and Nate, I'll have two points apiece. Tied up in first place are Corey and Newbie Jake.
Speaker 2: Is gonna haunt me?
Speaker 9: Oh terrible?
Speaker 4: Nobody calls a target panic.
Speaker 2: Question six. The topic is conservation. The conservation group dedicated to this eight hundred and forty three acre park calls it, quote one of the most iconic green spaces in the world, featuring a zoo, museum and carousel. Marge and Nate and Cad all at their whiteboards. The conservation group dedicated to this eight hundred and forty three acre park calls it one of the most iconic green spaces in the world, featuring a zoo, museum and carousel. Are we naming the park or the park named the park, not the conservation. That's why I was kind of Marge did that fan at that wedding tell you that he liked your drawings though.
Speaker 9: You know, no, he must not be watching the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just a listener.
Speaker 2: Otherwise he would know the beautiful artwork you'd come up with a chance.
Speaker 4: It's a great opener.
Speaker 3: Hi, nice to meet you meet.
Speaker 4: It was straight the throat.
Speaker 2: The conservation group dedicated to this eight hundred and forty three acre park calls it one of the most iconic green spaces in the world, featuring a zoo, museum and carousel.
Speaker 9: Got high hopes for a tiebreaker to day Spencer.
Speaker 2: We have been on a long drought here at meat Eater trip for tiebreakers, but today could be the day. Okay, do you have this one right?
Speaker 8: I'm pretty confident.
Speaker 2: Have you been to this place? Okay? Nate, do you like your answer? Have you been to this March? Do you like your answer? Have you been to this eight hundred and forty three acre park? No, Okay, there's some helping out the rest of the room. If you know the travels of cad Nate and March. Is everybody ready gonna wait for Sarah. Put that marker down and we'll flip over the whiteboards. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says Jurassic Park, Central Park, Part Sarah Lincoln Cad Central Park, Marge, Central Park, Nate, Central Park, Jake Central Park. The correct answer is Central Park.
Speaker 4: That dark those two.
Speaker 6: While people are surprised.
Speaker 2: More than four thousand species of plants and animals called Central Park home, including a new type of centipede that was discovered there in two thousand and three. The park allows catch and release fishing with rods that you can rent for free at the Discovery Center. The only fish you're not supposed to release is the northern snakehead, which was first detected there in twenty thirteen. Question seven, the topic is wildlife. Ricky Ticky Tavvy is this type of animal which also happens to be a bicycle brand? Wait, Ricky Ticky Tavy rick Tavvy is this type of animal, so that this type of animal also happens to be a bicycle brand. Kate, what were you doing in Central Park?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: Just see it taken in the grand sites of New York City.
Speaker 2: Just visit being a well rounded person.
Speaker 8: That's right, Okay, I went to that toy store from the movie bit.
Speaker 2: Ricky Ticky Tabby is this type of animal which also happens to be a bicycle brand. Does anybody know who Ricky Ticky Tabby is? Yes? Okay, Sarah, do you have this one right? Marge? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 2: Nate now has got it. I think now you know who Ricky Ticky Tabby.
Speaker 5: No idea, but I pulled out a bicycle brand that is an animal.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's good.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 6: Now I'm like, is this a Marge?
Speaker 2: Are you using the clue about the bike brand or Ricky Ticky Tabby the bike brand?
Speaker 6: I know Ricky Ticky Tabby, I just can't picture.
Speaker 2: Like a children's book. I'm not going to tell you right now? Is this type of animal which also happens to be a bicycle brand? My flavorite tech doesn't have anything about Ricky Ticky Tabby, but I doesn't that Phil could tell us all about.
Speaker 9: Ricky Ticky Tell you a tiny bit.
Speaker 2: Okay? Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Does I have something to do with Halo?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Cory says, mongoose. I'll listen without an answer. Sarah and Kaid and Marge and Nate and Jake say Mongoose, they got it. The correct answer is mongoose monkeys. Phil Please tell us about Ricky Ticky tab Oh.
Speaker 10: I don't know a lot about him, but he's I mean, I think the character is like one hundred years old. But it's a mongoose that was created by the same guy he wrote the Jungle Book and is this from a collection of short stories? But I couldn't tell you anything about the stories or about Ricky Ticky Tabby.
Speaker 2: There are about thirty species of mongoose that are found across Africa, Asia, and Europe. They are most famous for their audacious attacks on cobras, which they eat. Mongoose is They're not entirely immune to snake venom, but they are highly resistant to it. Question eight, what do you.
Speaker 5: Got modified alterrained vehicles in the Halo series?
Speaker 2: Okay, Bail, you certainly knew that one, all right, yeah, mong guy. Question The topic is hunting. This next great question is our Listener Question of the Week, which was won by Truman Danielson for sending this great question. Truman is going to get a one hundred and fifty dollars First Slight gift card if you want a chance to win the Listener Question of the Week. Then send your question to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com. According to hunter ed dot com, the five basic parts of a shotgun shell are the case, pellets, blank, gunpowder, and primer.
Speaker 5: Throwing a bone to a shotgun guy over there, Well, Sarah's not too shabby over there.
Speaker 4: She was done, but she also wasn't a professional shotgun shooter.
Speaker 2: According to hunter ed dot com, the five basic parts of a shotgun shell or the case, pellets, blank, gunpowder, and primer.
Speaker 5: Truman Danielson sounds like a rich guy already. You shouldn't send him in the gift carden.
Speaker 11: He sounds like someone that knows.
Speaker 2: A whole lot of that's kind of an old one of those fancy ones. And yeah, and then he's sending us something that's you know, like skeet adjacent. Also, yeah, okay, Truman, I have two of them. Yeah, but they came through him.
Speaker 4: But that guy fish is.
Speaker 10: Jake is your first time And I'm sorry I have to tell you this on camera, but you get your cell phone right under the mic there and we're getting some interference.
Speaker 8: Sorry.
Speaker 2: The first time it happens, it's just a warning. The second time you get fired. Take away one point well.
Speaker 6: Years ago.
Speaker 2: According to huntered dot com, the five base shotgun are the case, pellets, blank, gunpowder, and primer.
Speaker 10: Nate, are you aware that in a week the remastered Halo campaign comes out?
Speaker 7: There?
Speaker 10: They remade the first Halo with all new graphics and modern stuff.
Speaker 4: I had no idea.
Speaker 9: Are we gonna play a legendary run together?
Speaker 4: I would love to, I have it. I've been Battlefield. What was the most recent on six?
Speaker 7: Which is it?
Speaker 5: Got me so close to buying I've impulse bought three video game systems in my life, and I almost did it a fourth time.
Speaker 2: I recently got served a video of the Halo like sound effects. Guys making those sound effects back in the day, and the the war Hog was just like the one guy's Honda Civic. They had a bad muffler on it, and they're like, yeah, that sounds kind of like, you know, a badass vehicle from another planet? Running riot? Does everybody have an answer for the five basic parts of the shock case, Pellett's blank, gunpowder, primer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says, wa alyssa steal, Sarah and Cade and Marge and Nate and Jake say.
Speaker 6: What on the episode.
Speaker 2: I know the answer is wad. The wad separates the shot from the powder. The job of the wad is to create a gas seal to propel the shot down the barrel, protect the inside of the barrel from damage, and shape the shot pattern after leaving the muzzle. The vast majority of wads are made of plastic, but traditional materials include fiber, felt paper, and cardboard.
Speaker 4: It's the most important.
Speaker 2: It did our modern one. Yes, I had a pretty traditional wad in it, but we had found out that, like the og shell that it came with, that wad was probably made of cardboard, which is a little terrifying because holding one of those things is like a stick of dynamite in your hand, and that their cardboard is inside. Like doing a very important job.
Speaker 6: I mean, the first time we fired that thing, I think we all like stood very far away.
Speaker 2: Then we got brave. All right, Well, we got two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update. Oh, that looks like overtime.
Speaker 9: We'll see.
Speaker 10: Alissa with two, Sarah has three four way tie for I guess second, I don't, I don't know. I've messed up all the time. Cory Caide Maggie and Nate all have five points, and then Jake is one point ahead with six.
Speaker 2: Maybe after all that on me, Spencer put that on me. Question nine, the topic is fishing. Who wrote moby Dick? Oh, fish, looks like Nate could tie him up?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 2: Ayo, who wrote moby Dick? Big reader, It's just a last name. Okay, last name will work. I respect the jeopardy rules if you can come up with the last name.
Speaker 4: Saw my shelf is the one I'm reading next.
Speaker 2: I have. I have not read this book, but I looked at the audio book and it's like twenty four hours long. My goodness. Who wrote moby Dick? Sarah, you got the last name of this person?
Speaker 4: I think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could have arable three? Uh tie. Going into question ten, bad language. Has anybody read this book?
Speaker 4: No, read a few chapters.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, and then stopped.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a long one.
Speaker 11: Well that was enough of that.
Speaker 2: Who wrote moby Dick?
Speaker 6: That's how I felt about the Audist.
Speaker 2: Fishing, one of the most famous fishing books of all time.
Speaker 6: Yea in the Aliad, I was like, I think, is.
Speaker 5: A moby Dick a whale?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Are we fishing?
Speaker 2: I mean they used to fish. Fish for it, They're not fish.
Speaker 8: It's whaling.
Speaker 2: Like you there, you go talk about fishing after this.
Speaker 4: I'm just excited to get.
Speaker 9: About what type of whale?
Speaker 2: Double stop double double points aren't going to points aren't gonna happen?
Speaker 4: Man, I got a Halo reference and a reference in this episode.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, it's gonna be so upsetting. Go ahead and reveal your answers. Corey says williams Alyssa without an answer, Sarah says Melville, Cade Dickens, Marge Hemingway, Nate Herman Melville, and Jake says Dickinson. The correct answer is Herman Melville, Heyoby for there, Yeah. Herman Melville wrote Moby Dick in eighteen fifty one. The book took him eighteen months to complete. He relied on his experience as a sailor and whaler, of which he spent three years doing. Melville said his literary influences were Shakespeare and the Bible, and that Moby Dick's ending is based on the real life whaleship Essex. Right, here's a correct answer. Review so far one was botulism two target panic three November four, switchback five Jimmy Kimmel six, Central Park seven, Mongoose eight, Wad nine Herman Melville phil scoreboard update.
Speaker 10: Mr Nate busted out the library card and tied it up.
Speaker 9: He's tied up with Jake.
Speaker 10: They both have six points behind them are Maggie, Kid and Corey with five?
Speaker 2: Here is question ten. The topic is natural history great. This ten letter word is defined as quote, a hard fired clay brownish red in color when unglazed, that is used for pottery and as a material for sculpture. Sarah, who is not in the running to win first, to come up with you.
Speaker 10: You can tie it, right, Marge has it right now, Sarah's Sarah can't tie. The only people who can are Corey, Cad and Maggie.
Speaker 2: This is natural history natural. This ten letter word is defined as a hard fired and clay son of a brownish red in color when unglazed, that is used for pottery and as a material for sculpture. Let's just flip them over now if Jake or Nate definitely I've definitely heard it right.
Speaker 11: Yea, My liberals really benefiting in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, one time I made this really cool clay elephant in like tenth grade pottery in eighth grade whatever. And then I got a three forty weather be and I shot it.
Speaker 4: And my mom was living. She was like, that's the only thing you ever made in school that.
Speaker 9: I cared about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was that was even better than being worthy of the fridge. She was putting that.
Speaker 4: Some point it was in the china cabinet. Wow, that's what I That's what I should have known, you, mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the head could come off and.
Speaker 4: Everything, one of those two. Yeah, but it didn't turn out the way you think it's going to turn out.
Speaker 2: This ten letter word is defined as a hard fired clay brownish red in color and unclayed that is used for pottery and as a material for sculpture. Phil remind me who can tie Nate and Jake.
Speaker 9: Corey, Cad and Maggie.
Speaker 2: I'll have five Okay, Corey, do you have this one? Right? Kay? Do you have this one right? Marg Do you have this one? Okay? No, we can have a five way.
Speaker 4: This is so far.
Speaker 9: Off my radar.
Speaker 2: Okay. Jake and Nate are the least confident players.
Speaker 4: Give me just a minute.
Speaker 2: To terrible whoa he took serams? What an advantage when they finished the Jeopardy theme song, We're gonna flip.
Speaker 4: Top.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and be your end. Corey and Alyssa and Sarah and Kay and Marge say terra cotta, Nate and Jake without answers. The correct answer is terra cotta, guys. The earliest known use of a type of terra cotta is from twenty six thousand BC. A four inch sculpture from that era depicting a nude woman was discovered in the Czech Republic in nineteen twenty four. It's believed that the figurine is a symbol of fertility in that it originally had four feathers attached to it. Here is a picture I'll butcher the pronunciation that is the venus of Dolney. Weis to Nanzi.
Speaker 11: How big is that?
Speaker 2: Four inches? And it's twenty eight thousand years old?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: All right, we are head into overtime play the drop belt, and this is maybe the biggest overtime in meat Eater trivia history. We have everybody, I think except for Sarah and Alyssa, but they're going to play along as well, because if somebody gets it right on the nose, meat Eater is going to add an extra one hundred dollars donation to today's game. All right, the tie breaking topic is hunting. This is a numerical question to whoever's closest would be the winner. How many days is the average gestation period for white tail deer? Have you not done this question already? On episode one we did an elk, but we have never done white tailed deer. Okay, I thought so.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and forty episodes ago we had an elk gestation period question. Today we are talking about white tail deer. How many days is the average gestation period for white tail deer?
Speaker 8: Do you want a day's member?
Speaker 2: Days? That's right, not hours, not months? Days. Five players in the running today to be the winner. Caid representing the entire Meat Eater store Boys crew. Marge, have you ever won Meat Eater Trivia? Have I ever been in overtime?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: I did? Tianis one time?
Speaker 2: Okay, second, Okay, it could be a real victory. Nate's you've you've got a couple of w's. Corey, you're actually the king, JABRONI right now? And Jake, this is his first episode. How many days is the average gestation period for white tailed deer? Natead's a blank whiteboard. It's been doing a lot of math over there. See that selfless right there.
Speaker 4: Nobody cares.
Speaker 2: It's so violent, Margie, are you doing math or are you drawing? Okay, Corny, do you like your answer? Man? Okate? Are you close?
Speaker 7: I feel pretty good If I get this, they're probably gonna we're gonna shut the story down, all right, Oh sho.
Speaker 2: Corey doing some more writing now, Nate revisiting his answer. It is everybody ready? Many days is the average gestation period for white tailed deer.
Speaker 8: Great question question.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Alyssa says two seventy three. Sarah says two seventy five. Our five players left. We have Corey saying one ninety eight. Kid two fifteen March two hundred, Alyssa to thirteen, excuse me, Nate to thirteen, Jake one eighty five. One of you is two days off from the correct answer. The correct answer is two hundred two days more, he's forty eight hours from the correct and race to Marge. This data is from a study that observed eighty nine whitetail does two hundred and two days is roughly six and a half months. That means if a dough is bred on November tenth, she'll give birth on May thirty. First. All right, March as the winner, you get to choose, and we're gonna say that's right on the nose because two hundred and two to two hundred, that's the same thing. Marge, What are you gonna do with that six hundred dollars donation?
Speaker 8: Today?
Speaker 6: Sportsman's for the Boundary US.
Speaker 2: A lot of stuff going on up there. Do you know anybody in the area affected by the wildfires right now?
Speaker 6: You know, I need to check in with our old gear manager Carl because his family owns an outfitter canoe outfitter up in Ee, So I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 2: Well done, March first victory, six hundred dollars donation go into a good cause. Well done you, Browni's nice high level episode. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 6: They can tell my friend's husband.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks and he's an avid amateur lock how