Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Hello everyone, this is your Morning Run for Thursday, May twenty ninth, or as I like to call it, Friday Eve. I'm Adee Robots.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ Holmes. And on this Friday Eve Run. After all that talk about tariffs, after all that back and forth, after all that market fluctuation and uncertaining anxiety that the tariffs coused, turns out President Drum doesn't have the authority to impose tariffs, so says a federal court. We'll tell you where we go from here.
Speaker 1: Also on the Run, Diddy's defense team tried to end his trial yesterday, accusing the prosecutors of misconduct and devil on the Run, a convicted felon whose exploits were the subject of a Max documentary has escaped from prison.
Speaker 2: Also this morning, hit with a fifty million dollar sexual assault lawsuit, Smokey Robinson responds with a five hundred million dollar count.
Speaker 1: And a movie legend has passed away. You may not know his name, but you know the redheaded, knife wielding, overalls wearing killer doll that he portrayed.
Speaker 2: Plus, Elon Musk is out of a job in government. Good thing. He has Tesla and SpaceX to fall back.
Speaker 1: On, and Bieber makes a billion not justin.
Speaker 2: Hailey one of my favorite stories of the morning. I'm so impressed with what this young lady has done. It really and she has an impact on both of our daughter's lives. It seems like day and day out with her.
Speaker 1: It's so true, true story. You stopped dinner preps yesterday to announce, Oh my goodness, did you hear what happened with Hailey Bieber?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: We will get into that this morning, but we do begain our run on this Friday eve with a major ruling by a federal court here in Manhattan. This court now says that President Trump cannot impose his Liberation Day taras you remember the ones he was up there with the big poster board pointing everybody that all the countries listed. Yeah, all that shouldn't have happened because he didn't have the authority to do it. According to this three judge panel, they have now blocked Trump's tariffs after several lawsuits have argued that yes, he exceeded his authority.
Speaker 1: Congress typically approves tariffs, not the President, and the judges agreed. Trump circumvented Congress by claiming he had the right to act under an emergency powers law, saying, our trade deficits have become, yes, a national emergency. But the judges ruled that Trump's tariffs do not meet the condition of an unusual and extraordinary threat that would allow the president to act alone without congressional approval.
Speaker 2: Hogwash, says the White House. They responded by saying this and I quote, it is not for unelected judges to decide how to properly address a national emergency. They also noted that the Trump administration has already filed a notice of appeal to challenge yesterday's decision. That means the case is headed to the US Court of Appeals, where the White House will ask for a stay of this most recent order. Legal experts believe the case is probably headed to the Supreme Court. And who are those unelected judges he's talking about ropes?
Speaker 1: Yes, so there are three of them, and one was appointed by Ronald Reagan, one was appointed by Barack Obama, and the other was appointed by President Trump.
Speaker 2: And he still don't like him. That's as much variety as he's going to Get's court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more to come on this a lot more. Next up on a run though, we turned to the Ditty trial. We'll stay here in Manhattan, where Shancomb's defense team actually tried to end the whole thing. Yesterday, his attorneys asked the judge to declare a mistrial on grounds of prosecutorial misconduct. We're not going to get into the weeds, but basically, the defense attorneys argue that the prosecution made a claim that did he might have destroyed fingerprint evidence, and just.
Speaker 2: By suggesting that you put that in the jury's head that maybe this guy's destroying evidence, so therefore he must be doing something wrong. They said, come on, you shouldn't have even mentioned that. The judge said he put poop poo on the mistrial argument.
Speaker 1: So by washing poo poo, you're on a roll today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where I am on this Friday Eve. Well, the judge yes denied the motion, so we yes had a full day of testimony yesterday and most of it from Deontey Nash. This is a celebrity stylist who worked for Ditty. He also was a close friend and continues to be a close friend to Ditty's ex Cassie Ventura Fined, who, of course, was the prosecution's star witness. Nash, on the stand detailed several instances in which he witnessed Comb's being violent with Casey, kicking, hitting her, dragging her by her hair, and so on.
Speaker 1: Yes, in one instance in twenty thirteen, Nash said he actually jumped onto Combe's back to stop his attack on Cassie. He also broke some news to the court Cassie had her baby. Nash testified that he spoke to Cassie the previous day to tell her congratulations on having her baby. We're gonna have a lot more on that in just a moment. But Nash also gave more insights into Cassie's behavior and fear while she was dating Didty.
Speaker 2: He mentioned that he would regularly help Cassie hide from Ditty, this happened at hotel sometimes, and also recall a time when did Hey came to his home looking for Cassie. Now, he gave this detail that did he searched the whole house, including looking in the oven.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: And his quote on the stand was I have no idea why he looked in the oven, but yes, he looked in the oven while the search was going on. Now also in the stand yesterday first was an laped officer, after that a fire investigator. But most of the day, yes, Nash was on the stand. He's also going to be back on the stand again this morning. And then the next person Robes we're expecting to hear from could be another explosive witness who actually is an accuser, says she was abused by Ditty and I believe has a lawsuit against him.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is actually going to be testifying anonymously under the pseudonym Mia, but a lot of folks really anticipating what she will have to say. So more on that of course. Next up on the run from the Diddy trial to the delivery room. Yes, for Cassie Ventura, fine did he's X? And Yes, the star witness for the prosecution gave birth to her third child on Tuesday. That was just about a week and a half after wrapping her testimony.
Speaker 2: And we remember the judge, the prosecutors, and the Devins attorneys all agreed that she needs to be done that first week. They actually thought she wrapped on a Friday robe. Do you remember they said she has to be out of here because she might have the baby this weekend. Yeah, she was that close to popping in court. But she has now given birth to their third child with her husband Alex Fine. From all indications, they're doing well. They have two kids already, two young girls. But any woman listening, anybody who's had a baby, can think of how stressful that time is, especially that last month. And to think that she was on the stand doing what she did for three days, I think twenty hours is how much she testified under this stress. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: I can not even imagine what that must have been like for her. And yes, your emotions and your anxiety and your stress levels all affect the baby, and my goodness, she definitely was able to give that powerful testimony just in the nick of time.
Speaker 2: And a little context here. And I changed actually ropes this morning. How I wrote some of the stories because her friend Deontae Nash, she was on the stand. The defense attorney mentioned her and saying something but just asking a question about miss Ventura and corrected her missus fine, right, he's trying to make a point kind of Yes, that's her name, that's what she has it on her Instagram. And she is married to this man, and she has moved on with her life. She's not that And it was just a moment that he took to say missus fine, And I thought that actually spoke a lot about us. All need to remember who this moment is, where she is, what she've been through. But she is a married moment with three kids now. Yeah, she's moved on with her life. And yes, so I started writing missus vent Tura fine this morning.
Speaker 1: That's true because if you think about how she is now being regarded and most likely will be remembered as a part of these freak offs and just something that's so different than who she is today. So that makes a lot of sense. All right. Next up on the Run, we're gonna head to your home stay TJ of Arkansas, where residents are on edge after the man known as the Devil in the Ozarks remains on the loose. He escaped from prison over the weekend.
Speaker 2: His real name is Grant Harden. He was a police officer and briefly I was police chief for a small town in Arkansas before he was convicted of killing a city employee and raping an elementary school teacher. Hard to escape from prison on Sunday afternoon by impersonating a corrections officer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was not in a standard correctional uniform for that facility, but according to authorities, and if you look at the surveillance video, he looked and acted enough like an officer that a prison guard opened the gate for him and let him freely walk out of the facility. It happened around two fifty five pm on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Garb fired Yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we don't know yet, but officials are investigating how Harden was able to get this uniform that he was wearing, or whether he was able to make it himself. I mean, it's confusing because it's not the one that they issue, but it looked official.
Speaker 2: Where did it come from exactly? Sow it in there somewhere. Well, authority's an hour using everything they got, drones, helicopters, police dogs to search the rocky and ruggered yes, ozarks, the terrain up there. This is all outside of the prison. They're searching that area. But two years ago, Harden and his crimes were turned into a true crime documentary that streamed on Max and is on Hulu. It's called Devil in the Ozarks and Robes, I have it right. He was. He was caught for one crime and then he was linked to something twenty years prior because of DNA.
Speaker 1: Right, it was an unsolved vicious rape. And so when he was charged with the murder for shooting a city employee, a guy who ran the water department in the head, they ran hiss DNA and boom, it popped up in this rape case, this cold case from twenty years prior. So he was convicted for thirty years for the murder, fifty years for the rape. But a lot of folks are really concerned that he may be on a vengeance tour. They have described him as evil and there's just a lot of fear in that area right now, all right. Next up on our ran a screen legend has passed away, but the way you know him on screen is as a duck from outer space and as a red headed psycho killer doll. We are talking about Ed Gail. That is the actor who portrayed Howard the Duck and the original Chucky in Child's Play.
Speaker 2: And that's something a guy is. These movies have played such a role in so many of our lives and just didn't know the name of the guy who was behind it. But yes, it's Ed Gayle. He was born with dwarf fizzelm and he passed away this week at the age of sixty one. Now his niece put out a statement on behalf of the family, and it's one of the more colorful death announcements about a public figure that you will ever Here, we are not overstating that, folks. And so the statement begins with this quote, it is with a heavy heart and a surprisingly light coffin that we announced the sudden passing of our uncle Ed Gaile.
Speaker 1: That's funny, that's amazing. I love that they can find humor or just keep even the death announcement in the spirit of who he was.
Speaker 2: Yes, but this is the other thing about it. I read it right, just the lines, but they put something in parentheses when they wrote it. It is with a heavy heart and surprisingly light coffin parentheses. See what I did there, And then they went there clearly amazing they're doing with this. But it's a really funny statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love because it continues in the same spirit. It goes on to say that Gail leaves behind a full legacy of questionable lighting and amazing one liners Ed's favorite role was that of the fun uncle. They say, ed love seven to eleven hot dogs with disgusting amounts of ketchup. I too have enjoyed a seven eleven hot dog. I'll be honest. I think that was after the Chicago marathon. He hated Bill Maher for no good reason. He had one hell of a laugh and we will and he will be missed. Rest in love, you cranky bastard.
Speaker 2: That's great, you know what.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. That speaks to who he was and how he didn't take himself so seriously and loved laughing. I just I think that's so cool. It speaks volumes about who he was. Gil By the way, as we mentioned, we might not not have known his name, he had one hundred and thirty film and TV credits to his name, which is remarkable.
Speaker 2: We can legitimately say he was a film legend that nobody knows his name. Nobody walking down the street, you'll be able to come up with his name, but everybody knows Chucky. How are to do?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: Is so cool? But but yeah, good for his family, and again, much respect for the statement that they put out in the sentiment that it had We want to continue our run here on this Friday Eve, run now, and this time we turned to smoke you Robinson. He has responded to that fifty million dollars sexual assault lawsuit against him by countersuing for five hundred million dollars. Yes, the Motown Legend says he's being defamed by the four women, all former housekeepers who worked for him at his La home.
Speaker 1: The women filed their suit earlier this month as Jane Does one through four, claiming Robinson sexually assaulted them on numerous occasions, to even claimed he raped them dozens of time. They called them a serial rapist. Robinson denied the allegations when they were first made earlier this month, and then his counterclaim is asking the judge to throw out the suit against him and force the women to refile it using their real names.
Speaker 2: They also states that Robinson treated the planoffs with quote the utmost kindness and generosity, but unfortunately the depths of the plaintiffs avarice and greed knows no bounds in quote. The accusers lawyers responded to Robinson's suit. They called it an attempt to silence and intimidate the survivors of mister Robinson sexual battery and assault, and we should mention as well Robes. Yes, this was a civil suit initially, but the La Sheriff's Department, because of that suit, has opened up a criminal investigation into these allegations against the Motown legend. We'll stay with us here on this Friday Eve run. When we come back, Elon is out of a job. Hayley is up a billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to our Thursday morning run and next up on the run, right. I tried to just kind of mix it up a little.
Speaker 2: Why you're trying to say you consistent?
Speaker 1: All right? It's Friday Eve, y'all from.
Speaker 2: Your partner, you know, I like to mix it up a little bit.
Speaker 1: All right. This was just in my wording, not in anything else. Sorry, All right, Elon's work is done. That the richest man in the world is the latest government employee to lose his job.
Speaker 2: Okay, different circumstances here, but still Musk says he is officially done with his role in the Trump administration. As head of DOGE, the newly formed Department of Government Efficiency was given the task of cutting government waste. Musk headed it as a quote special government employee that's what it's called as a designation. That meant though he could only work one hundred and thirty calendar days a year for the government.
Speaker 1: So Musk made the announcement on X saying, as my scheduled time as a special government employee comes to an end, I would like to thank President Donald Trump for the opportunity to reduce wasteful spending. The DOGE mission will only strengthen over time as it becomes a way of life throughout the government. So Musk is out of one job, but he already has some other gigs lined up in case you were wondering, you know, CEO of Tesla SpaceX and XAI and artificial intelligence startup, and you know, I wonder how much this statement might have been in response to some of the swirling rumors out there that there's some big rift between the two, because Musks made statement basically saying he was disappointed with this big, beautiful bill that Trump is pushing. So there was a lot of speculation as to whether or not they were partying on good terms or bad terms.
Speaker 2: I wonder that was such a public bromance, and it was over the top billionaire bromance that we couldn't imagine. We all some probably looked at say, oh, yeah, this angle end will.
Speaker 1: But also you can have a disagreement and still be friends and be fine. We have disagreements all the time and we're still together.
Speaker 2: We had a disagreement over what we should be calling this a Friday Eve run or is it the Thursday run?
Speaker 1: And look we're still doing great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll only got one story to get through and the final leg of our run. Yes, a huge congratulations to Hayley Beaver, much respect to you, sister. She just sold her skincare and makeup company for a billion dollars. However, here's the thing. I swear I was just talking to her. We were just talking to her recently about launching a skincare company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were so excited. Hey, Hailey Bieber came to GMA. Why did we get so lucky as to get the interview?
Speaker 2: I actually remember going to the EP saying I probably shouldn't be doing it. This isn't my lane.
Speaker 1: We both said that we're like, why are we? Because usually like the big names, and you know, obviously Hailey Bieber is who she is, go to some of the bigger anchors and so we were actually questioning her how we got to anchor her, excuse me interview her, but anyway, we were excited to do it. She was lovely and sweet. Yes, she actually gave me some of the initial products. I use them, I love them, and we really were blown away by her. But again, this was in twenty twenty two. This was just three years ago. That is remarkable. So yeah, she began Road in twenty twenty two, and what a wild and meteoric success story. Budget cosmetic company elf Beauty. You see elf in you know, like drug stores, like It's very accessible, and that's exactly what she wanted it to be. So elf Beauty is buying Bieber's brand, announcing it will pay Road shareholders a eight hundred million dollars in cash and stock, and then they will add an additional two hundred million dollars based on performance related conditions.
Speaker 2: And she is not stepping away necessarily from the company. She's gonna stay with it as chief creative officer and head of innovation. This is what she said posting on social media. I always had big dreams for the company, and the most important thing to me is to keep bringing the Road brand to more places. Spaces and faces globally. So today I'm so incredibly excited and brown to announce that we are partnering with elf Beauty as we step into this next chapter in the world of Road. Just congratulations to her. And she's someone who is never want to say in the shadow of but Justin Bieber has been for a long time an international superstar, megastar, as big as they get, and she is the wife of that guy for hers to now she has developed and created an international brand that my twelve year old daughter I have to see Road products every day because of my l to grow that. I just think it's incredibly impressive and I applaud her for what she's pulled off.
Speaker 1: It is because if you look her up, it always says model and influencer, which can kind of seem fluffy and light. But now talk about like bad ass businesswoman, entrepreneur. I mean, that is what she gets to say for her title now. And you know she went viral when she was launched. She's so smart. When she was launching this brand, Road, not only was she on Good Morning America, but she she created this viral video where she said that she could make your skin look like glazed donut skin. So glazed donut skin started trending and that is really what she's known for with her skincare products. Congratulations to Hayley Bieber.
Speaker 2: All right, as we go about our Friday Eve, now, something we'd like for you to take with you. It is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: Don't confuse movement with progress. Just because you're doing a lot more doesn't mean you're getting a lot more done.
Speaker 2: Say it again for the people in the back. Everybody needs to take this with you today. Listen to the and you know what, write it down and tell it to your bosses as well. Go ahead, roes.
Speaker 1: Don't confuse movement with progress. Just because you're doing a lot more doesn't mean you're getting a lot more done. This is from the files of TJ. Holks.
Speaker 2: I believe it was my pastor again, I believe it was. But this was also always so applicable in our business. In news. We're running around like chickens with our heads cut off, and we only think we are being productive if you look around and everybody's running around and it's chaotic. So if we're getting oh we're doing so many things, we're not doing them well. But we're doing a lot, and that fools us into thinking we're actually making progress. Don't confuse the two.
Speaker 1: I love that, and that's something to remind ourselves as we sometimes get overly busy for no good reason whatsoever. So thank you for running with us everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robock and I'm TJ. Holmes. Enjoy your Friday Eve folks. We will see you back here for the run tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: M