Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome to another edition of the Dave Pashe Podcast. I'm your host ESPN and Arizona Cardinals play by play announcer Dave Pash. Our guest this week is five time Pro Bowl safety and two time First Team All Pro Buddha Baker. So the second time Buddha's been on the Dave Pash Podcast. We had him way back in episode two in training camp back in twenty twenty one. A lot has happened since then, and Buddha is continuing to not only shine as a football player, but he's one of the leaders of the Arizona Cardinals again in twenty twenty three. And among the many subjects we discussed during the next twenty minutes of this podcast, it includes what to expect from the team in terms of the hallmarks of the Arizona Cardinals in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, discipline, accountability, a team that's just going to play very fast, a team that doesn't care about what anybody else thinks.
Speaker 1: Buddha and I also discussed preparation for the Washington Commanders. The weight that Buddha put on in the offseason is part of his workout routine. We'll get his thoughts on some of the newcomers, like rookie Keetrell Clark, who has a chance to start on opening day, and Kaiser White, who came over from the Philadelphia Eagles. We are presented by BETMGM, the official sports betting partner of the Arizona Cardinals, and by Heila River Resorts and Casinos. Sign up today with BETMGM, the official partner of the Arizona Cardinals. Use code cards one thousand and get back up to one thousand dollars in bonus bets. If you don't win your first bet, visit betimgm dot com for terms and conditions. Twenty one years of age, you're older to wager Arizona only new customer offer. Please gamble responsibly. Gambling problem Call one eight hundred, next step. All right, He's one of my favorites and I'm sure for Cardinal fans one of yours as well. The Great Buddha Baker our guest this week on the Dave Pash Podcast. Well, Booto, it's great to see you. First of all, Man, before we get into camp and everything, how was your summer. Did you get a chance to relax it all and kind of put last season behind you and all the changes and move forward in your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know, last year, especially for me, I got you know, kind of injured a couple of times high in good spring, you know, a couple of springs, and then that Christmas game versus Tampa Bay, I you know, fractured my shoulders. So this off season I just solely focused on getting my bodies as best as it could be, one hundred percent stronger, faster, bigger, my mindset, everything just you know, those type of things, just to get those better, kind of have tunnel vision, not really paying attention to being on any type of you know, media or any of that. Just kind of just hanging out with my daughter and working hard.
Speaker 1: How old is she now?
Speaker 2: She's one and a half turning two December, so yeah, you know, she's getting big, starting to walk a little bit, run, you know, say words.
Speaker 1: I still remember it was I think the Chicago game that you and I flew back together and you were you were I think it was any moment at that point right that, Yeah, exactly. Yeah, So congratulations, man, that's awesome. Thank you. You've always been such an impressive guy. I think the world got to really just get a sense of what you're all about from Hard Knocks people that maybe aren't around the team or haven't really heard you speak. Did you go back and watch it at all? Did you see any of the episodes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I saw a few of the episodes, you know, maybe like four of them. You know, after that it was kind of, you know, we kind of went on a little losing streak. So for me personally, I just you know, try to help as much as I can, whether it's get the playbook right or you know, understanding certain things that the offenses are trying to do to us, and you know try to you know, meet extra with the guys and try to you know, fix those type of things.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I watched a few episodes.
Speaker 1: I mean what stood out was your passion, your energy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Obviously Monty and JG took note of that. They've talked a lot about how they want the culture of this team to be the embodiment, you know, of of Buddha Baker. You know what you're all about, what what's the biggest thing you've noticed going from the previous Not to bash the previous regime, but just what are some of the things that stood out about the new group MANI the coaching staff that are a good fit for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know they they everything that they say kind of aligns with you know, how I go about each and every day and that's you know, kind of just getting better each and every day, you know, working hard. The little details matter, you know, all the little things that you know we could have done better in last year's season. I think that they're making, you know, a point to for guys to understand, you know, the little things and understand that you know, if if you're not going to do these little things, then you know you're not gonna be here.
Speaker 1: What about specifically technically about the defense? What are some of the things that are different that you have noticed so far?
Speaker 3: Technically, like you're talking about like scheme wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, scheme and also what they're asking you to do, like certain like when Colt McCoy was in here, he talked about how he had for his entire football life. I think it was his right foot was forward, his left foot was back, and now they're asking him to change it, Yeah, something that he had not done before. Is there anything that you've experienced so far that's different for you in terms of how you attack your position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, I don't really want to say much about it, but at the end of the day, you know, his scheme wise, I really like the scheme. I really liked the defense. I liked you know, the intricate details that they put upon the players to understand and know and you know, not just knowing it, but no knowing it. That's what he, you know, kind of preaches and talks about, and you know, those type of things that are very set aligned with me because you want to trust each and every person on the field, and if they know it, you know, they it's kind of iffy. If they know know it, that means they know it one hundred percent. You guys have trust all around the board, and you know, you play better football. So just the little details of trusting each other and trusting the defense and understanding the little intricate details that they have on each and every personnel based Nickel, you know, Penny, all types of personnels.
Speaker 1: So people that watched the preseason games, do you think that maybe they'll be surprised when they see some of the things you guys do defensively starting week one?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I definitely think so, just like you know, if we if when we watched film of other teams, you know, they're kind of kind of general offenses or general general defenses. So there's you know, definitely a lot of details that you know, of course we didn't put out in the preseason that you know people will see come Sunday.
Speaker 1: So a month ago, month and a half, whatever it was, when there were some uncertainty at least maybe not in your circle, but people on the outside weren't sure, you know, is Booty gonna be here? Because of the trade request, you get your deal restructured. What specifically about the deal made you happy that you were like, Okay, I'm I'm all in with the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know, for me personally, like I said this whole off season, I'm kind of just put my head down and had tunnel vision and understood, you know, what I can control, and what I can control was the amount of work I put put in each and every day. And uh, you know, I have a great agent and David Mullageta athletes first where he was able to communicate with you know, Monty and you know, communicate certain details that I could appreciate. So at the end of the day. For me, it was my job to just lock in and hone in on what I can do better for my body, for my mind and once, you know, once training camp starts, once everything starts, I'll be there. So that's what it was. And you know, personally, I'm all in. You know, I'm always all in. If you watch me play on defense, you watch me like you guys said, I'll always be all in every single time I stepped foot on the football.
Speaker 1: What about any differences that we'll see, you know, physically with you. Is there anything you did in terms of training or any area of your your off season work out routine that you've changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean you know I worked out. You know, I kind of.
Speaker 2: Started very early, maybe probably let's say I probably started and late February early March I started my off season training program. And that was because of course I fractured my shoulder. I was just healthy enough to enter into the Pro Bowl and be cleared for that. But at the end of the day after the Pro Bowl, I kind of just set my mind on working hard and getting my body right. And you know, of course I gained gain about fifteen pounds of muscle. You know, I added a few inches off my vertical, my my sprinting, my acceleration has all gotten better. As fast as I've ever been, as quick as I've ever been, as strong as I've ever been, can jump higher than I ever have, and you know, I just feel.
Speaker 3: Very healthy, feel very blessed to.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, put that work in and you know, now that's here. You know I've always talked about in the off season. You know, I trained with Justin King out in North Scottsdale, and one of my best friends came out to Seattle and I trained with him as well because he played receiver. So it was just a lot of football, a lot of football, a lot of kind of just honing in onto the details, watching a lot of film, the things that I could have possibly done better, and you know, just trying to get myself an overall, you know, better player. And you know that's what I stuck my mind to. And now that you know the season's coming up, the season's here, I'm definitely excited to showcase that.
Speaker 1: What do you weigh right now?
Speaker 2: Then? I'm about one ninety four right now, you know, I like to be around one ninety one ninety four around that area. Usually I've been around one to eighty five, and towards the end of the season, I usually kind of lose some weight, get down to like one eighty three or so like that. So this year I've honed in on you know, my weight and keeping it up. And usually in training camp you lose a lot of weight, and that wasn't the case this year. I kept my weight, kept my strength, kept everything. So now it's just you know, honing into this last week and getting ready for of course the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 1: So you put on fifteen pounds of muscle, though in the off season you're a pretty compact guy. How did you put on fifteen pounds of muscle? That's a lot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, well, you know, weight based. Now, you know when when the off season hits. Of course I lose weight when I don't when I don't work out or I don't do anything. So of course, a couple of weeks I took took off just to rest my body and kind of not really getting the weight room. And usually I get down to about you know, one seventy three, you know, one seventy four, stay around there in the off season for that first little month of not really doing anything, and then of course I gained my weight, gave my weight up, you know, until training camp. So yeah, I went from like one seventy to about one ninety five. So you know, it was definitely great. It was definitely exciting just to feel my body and to feel the strength and you know, all little intricate areas of my body like my ankles, my feet, you know, my cast my hamstrings. It's just it's a little more pop and uh, you know, I definitely am excited to showcase that.
Speaker 1: I went from one seventy to one ninety five as well. What are you laughing at? What are you saying? You can't tell? I believe, h I believe it's in different places than than you give me your uh, your sense of Nick rollis a guy that obviously he's doing this for the first time, but very impressive. Young guy just turned thirty about a month ago. How much communication are you guys having about what you see? Is he leaning on guys like you that have been around that have had success in this league?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Nick, Nick watches a lot of ball. Of course, he played ball in college. You know, JT always laughs about playing him in college. I think he went to what was it, like, some type of college he went to. But Jalen Thompson played against some of his freshman year when Nick was you know, I think he was a senior, so they always joke about that. But for me personally, I like to think that I know a lot of football. You know, going into year seven, I've played a few different defenses three four four, three back to three four back to multiple type of defenses, and you know, I will say Nick Nick is a is a narrative football. He really knows the game. You know, he makes it very easy for the players to understand the game within the calls. Guys, are you know, able to understand it and play fast? And at the end of the day, that's what he wants us to do. He wants us to know what we're doing and after that just play as fast as we can because we have we have the talent, we have the players to play fast, and you know, he kind of gives it upon us to of course know our job and then just play football after that. So you know, there's a few questions to ask here and there, but at the end of the day, you know, we respect and understand each every single time he you know, makes a call and he explains what the call is used for, what down it is for, you know, what personnel it's for.
Speaker 3: So it gives guys a very great.
Speaker 2: Understanding of knowing, kind of knowing before you know, you know, the offense is out, you know. So for example, it might be we might be in a nickel call and he calls that call. So right when he calls a call, we understand that. Okay, he called this call because he thinks this and you know the weaknesses of this call are this. The strength of this call is that. So it's definitely, uh, you know, very nice to you know, have a DC who understands those type of things.
Speaker 1: Did you wait, Son was played at the University of Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Minnesota, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Did you say Jalen Thompson played against him?
Speaker 3: Correct? Correct? Wait?
Speaker 1: How old is Jalleng right now?
Speaker 3: He's like twenty five? No fo, Yeah, Jalen said he was.
Speaker 2: He was a freshman Nick nick role he was probably like a red shirt senior or something like that. But he said he played against them and Nick was making a lot of plays. So they always laugh about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I thought maybe that your paths might have crossed because you're what twenty seven? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I figured that maybe you and Rob, but the fact that Jalen Thompson played against his de coordinator and he's twenty five is crazy. I want to talk about some of the guys that have some of the younger guys and some of the newcomers that have stood out to you in camp. Give me your thoughts on keetroll Clark, the rookie out of Louisville who you know could end up starting a week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I really like the way he plays, the way he goes about each and every day. He has the right mentality. He has the mentality of a pro of you know, this is his rookie year, but he's understanding the little details of the game, and he's taking the coach and he's understanding he's not making the same mistake twice. And that's what you love to see it from young guys. You know, they they might mess it up one time, but after that they understand what it is and they won't mess it up again. So very very quick, twitchy guy, a guy who can you know, he can play on receivers, play on anybody. He can come down and hit you. You know, I really like the way that he plays. I like his game, and I'm excited to see, you know what we have week one. I'm excited to see him, you know, play football at a high levels his rookie year.
Speaker 1: What about Kaizer White, a guy that you know played safety in college. He's a proven inside linebacker, but he's played a lot of safety. He's very physical, just like you are. What are some of your takeaways from watching Kaizer because we haven't seen a lot of them obviously in the preseason games, but you're with him every day at practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean personally, you know, when I when I found out that JG was going to be the coach, and you know, of course understanding who the defensive coordinator was, the first thing I wanted to do as a cardinal was to go back and look at the Eagles film just to see how they play defense, just to see certain players that they have that might be coming over to Arizona. And he was a guy in that forty three in the Eagles uniform that you know, I really like to watch on the field on screen. You know, a guy who's flying around, he knows what he's doing, a guy who's gonna come up and hit you. A guy who can also cover and understand the little intricate details of what his job is. So that's something I'm very excited to play with. And you guys just saw a little you know, a little appetizer of course in this preseason game. But that's a that's a Pro Bowl type of guy who all pro type of linebacker that you know, no one really talks about much, but they're going to be able to see that, you know, come week one and on.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I've heard many guys talk about when there's a coaching change that they go back and watch the film, like right away. Is that something you've always done? Like you have, You've always been a big film guy who taught you initially, Like, hey, this is something you should be focusing on. Because I got to think that most guys aren't motivated to say, oh, we have a new coach. Oh let's go ahead and just look at the film and watch you know what type of scheme might be coming here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know me personally, I'm I'm a big, you know, kind of football junkie. So you know, I like watching film. I like watching certain defenses and certain players that you know, the people might talk about. So I enjoy watching, you know, watching on my iPad hours of film and that's kind of always, you know, been me for a long time, you know, ever since even literally like literally we were watching film in the back of our coaches, you know, car as a team and you know, understanding what we could have done better, and also watching other teams as well. So and then of course in high school, you know, butch gun On try Off was my head coach at Belvy High School. Never lost a football game in high school. You know, my my freshman year, James Hasty, he was, he was our defensive coordinator. His his son, Tyler Hasty, I went to school with at Belvy High School, so you know, he he's a you know, a Hall of Fame football player. So of course, just to understand defense as a high school player, it was definitely special. And then of course going into University of Washington, Jimmy Lake was my defensive backs coach, and you know, on recruiting visits we would go and he would come over to my house and we would watch film on you know, Rondez Barber and you know, guys that played in the league a while back, and we would just watch film and understand certain details of what they did, and he would coach me up on little things like that. And then of course that you know, was stood all throughout college and now that in the minute league, you know, and it doesn't change, it gets more, of course. You know, it was definitely special, you know, the way I was brought up, and definitely blessed to understand to have all those certain people that were in my corner trying to help me get better as a player. And you know, now it's something I always do.
Speaker 1: You talk about University Washington, Husky is going to be good, the ranked tenth. They've got Boise State up in Seattle week one, then it's off to the Big Ten. I don't know how much you've paid attention to realignment, but it's pretty crazy what's going on right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely definitely crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't really paid at attention much, but I heard, yeah, they were going to the Big ten, and you know they'll be taking those flights, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean the the somebody told me it takes the equipment truck at USC to get to Rutgers. It takes forty one hours. So imagine Seattle, he's to Rutgers. Yeah, Port of Maryland, the other Washington, the Commanders who you play week one? How much tape have you watched already? And when you're playing against a guy like Sam Howell who's starting a quarterback who there's not a ton of film on, Uh, how do you prepare for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, of course I watched you know, a few series that he was able to play last week, and you know, kind of just watching Chiefs film. Really you're not really watching Commanders film because they're oc side head coaches from the Chiefs. So just watching the Chiefs film kind of seeing you know, little details that you know the Chiefs did that you know, of course possibly of Washington Commanders will do. And uh, you know they kept it very general, very basic in the preseason of course. So it's just going to be a matter of understanding our rules on it as a defense, and understanding of course who their who their best players are, and you know how in this league that's what it's meant for. You know, offense is meant for to get you know, their teammate, their team, the best players the ball. So just understanding that and you know, like you said a young QB, a QB who you know hasn't played much football, So you know, just to watch as much film as you know you can on him. Find the film. You know, of course, our coaches will do a great job of finding some film on him, whether that's you know, his tendencies, what he likes to do, little details like that. But you know, watching film would definitely ramp up this week.
Speaker 1: Obviously, nobody can predict how a season's gonna go. Every year, there are teams that people think are going to be Super Bowl contenders that win four games, and there's teams that people aren't really thinking about that are off the radar that end up making the playoffs. Maybe that's you know, this Cardinal team this year, regardless of the results, what do you think will be some of the hallmarks of this team? Just kind of watching and doing the preseason games, it seems to me like coaching, discipline, toughness, accountability, reliability, like those are some things that I've noticed. Kind of feels like those things stand out to me. How about you, since you're living.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, exactly, all those all those categories, as you said, those characteristics are definitely characteristics that I believe we are going to have as a team. We're gonna know each and every week what the job is and how to win. And you know, after that week, we're gonna go back to the board and we're gonna say, Okay, did we do this? Did we do these intricate three intricate things that you know would allow us to win? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes?
Speaker 2: Or no no no? And you know we'll go from there. But you know, like you said, discipline, accountability, a team that's just gonna play very fast, a team that doesn't care about what anybody else thinks, and everybody that's in that circle, everybody that's in that huddle, those are the only ones that matter. And we're just gonna play football at a high level. I definitely believe that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: All right, last one, We'll get you out of here. Because we started with Hard Knocks, let's end with that. Your sister, how she doing. Is she still here in the valley? Because she was, you know, one of the stars of Hard Knocks. We got a chance to kind of go behind the scenes and see your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's doing great. You know, she's out of ass.
Speaker 2: You just started last week, so you know, she's out there out and about, you know, walking to classes and uh, you know, complaining about how hard it is while she's.
Speaker 3: Walking the classes.
Speaker 2: And you know, she's out there staying over on a you know, out campus offsite campus over there. So you know, big Bro has the house to herself now. So it's definitely, uh, you know, it's kind of boring. But at the end of the day, I'm just chilling with my dog.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Have my daughter come around. She lives in Florida, so have her come every now and again. But uh, yeah, my little sister, she's doing great. She's happy, and you know that's all I can ask for as a big brother.
Speaker 1: Well, and you may have an empty house, but I'm sure you're not there much because I know how hard you work to get ready for the season and especially once the season gets going. You're one of the leaders of this team and you're one of the best players in the league. Always appreciate you stopping by.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, thank you for having me. I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: We always learned something when we talk with Buddha Baker. I knew that he was a film nut, a football junkie, but just hearing first of all, the story about how he would sit and watch Little League film in the back of the van back when he was young. But also recently, Jonathan Gannon gets hired and what does Buddha do. He starts watching Philadelphia Eagles film right away, not just to get a sense for the scheme, but take a look at Kaiser White who is coming over with Gannon as a free agent. So great stuff from Buddha talking about the team, his workout routine going into the season, and also just still trying to process the fact that Jahelen Thompson played against Nick Rollis, who is now his coach in college just a few years ago. We are presented by BETTMGM, the official sports betting partner of the Arizona Cardinals, and by Heila River Resorts and Casinos. Follow us on Twitter, slash x at pash pod, and you can also rate and review us on your favorite podcast platform. Thanks to you for listening, and thanks once again to five time Pro bowler, two time First Tea All Pro safety Buddha Baker on the Dave Past Podcast.
Speaker 3: H m hm hm
Speaker 1: Hm